PDA

View Full Version : Texans 2012 draft grade

badboy
04-27-2012, 09:07 PM
C-

OLB Mercilus pulled down by a pretty bad pick in Posey and Brooks a project. Too many BPA still on board. If Kubiak thinks these two are BPA he is tootie frootie

Thorn
04-27-2012, 09:11 PM
B

Like Mercileus and Brooks. Not sure yet about the WR guy.

TdotTexas2Step
04-27-2012, 09:13 PM
C+

I think most sites will be handing us around a C+ or B- mainly because you normally don't trade down only to pick up a player that would have probably been there later on in the draft.

Mercilus was a solid pick, and even though you shouldn't really judge a player until they step on an NFL field, I don't see how you can't at least question the Posey pick.

WolverineFan
04-27-2012, 09:14 PM
B+

Don't see how Brooks is a "project". Most OL need a year or two to acclimate. Give him that and when Wade Smith is a FA we plug him in as his replacement. Mercilus was a great pick as well. Could replace Barwin next year when he's a FA.

Posey was a reach, but he could be a solid #2.

rmartin65
04-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Early guess? B.

Mercilus gets a A-, Posey a D, Brooks an A. Solid B.

HOU-TEX
04-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Draft grades in the 3rd round? :rolleyes:

DocBar
04-27-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm giving a gut feeling C. I hope they prove me wrong. I do not like the WR pick at all.

beerlover
04-27-2012, 09:17 PM
day one B
day two C
day three ?

Fili
C+
Agreed. Mercilus brought it down.

ArlingtonTexan
Incomplete.

brakos82
04-27-2012, 09:19 PM
day one B
day two C
day three ?

day four PROFIT!!!!

PapaL
04-27-2012, 09:20 PM
I'll answer in 3-5 years. Thanks. See you soon.

GP
04-27-2012, 09:21 PM
C.

Only Mercilus keeps it from being a full-on F.

I'm so pissed over Posey that I cannot see straight enough to think clearly about Brooks yet.

beerlover
04-27-2012, 09:22 PM

these are just our intial reactions I'm sure they will subside- all in good time :)

gary
04-27-2012, 09:24 PM
I'll just wait to see them play.

The Medic01
04-27-2012, 09:29 PM
What's the problem with Mercilusand posey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTpaul
2010 OSU

Catches 53 Yards 848 Average 16.0 TD 7

2009 OSU

Catches 60 Yards 828 Average 13.8 TD 8

Take a look at his sophomore and junior year. He was already productive player and probably produces even more numbers if he was playing his senior year.
And he didn't have a QB.
Posey stats not bad.

Also mercilus had 16 sacks and 9 FF. Whats wrong with that.

Errant Hothy
04-27-2012, 09:30 PM

Draft grades period :rolleyes:

Corrosion
04-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Day 1

I give it a B , filled a need with a player who I didnt expect to be on the board when the Texans picked.

Day 2

Again I give it a B. Filled two needs with quality players.

Seems like most of the long time draft followers dont care for Posey .... But I am happy with the pick , think he's far more polished than any of the other prospects that we were talking about taking in either of the first two rounds.

Sitting out most of his Sr. season hurt his draft stock but the production was there in the two prior seasons. Good size , good speed , great hands , polished route runner , effective blocker. What more can you ask for .... and in the 3rd round no less.

Carr Bombed
04-27-2012, 09:33 PM
A-

Gee after reading some of these grades I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm also taking into account the ability to stock pile draft picks while grabbing players who have more than enough ability to fill our needs.

I'm happy so far. :)

Playoffs
04-27-2012, 09:37 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gary
04-27-2012, 09:39 PM
I am hoping for Thompson DT.

eriadoc
04-27-2012, 09:43 PM
As I said elsewhere, Smithiak has too many WTF moments for me to buy in.

WolverineFan
04-27-2012, 09:44 PM
I am hoping for Thompson DT.

Would love to see us land Thompson at the top of the 4th and then Hosley (CB, Virginia Tech) and either Massie (OT, Ole Miss) or Mosley (OT, Auburn).

Topher
04-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Solid B.:mag:

badboy
04-27-2012, 09:48 PM
What's the problem with Mercilusand posey

Quote:
2010 OSU

2009 OSU

Take a look at his sophomore and junior year. He was already productive player and probably produces even more numbers if he was playing his senior year.
And he didn't have a QB.
Posey stats not bad.

Also mercilus had 16 sacks and 9 FF. Whats wrong with that.If yo9u are going to use stats then compare Posey's to other available receivers and answer your own questions.

I don't think anyone has said anything is wrong with Posey.

Steleehin
04-27-2012, 09:48 PM
What's the problem with Mercilusand p
Quote:
2010 OSU

2009 OSU

And he didn't have a QB.
Posey stats not bad.

Also mercilus had 16 sacks and 9 FF. Whats wrong with that.

exactly at least give him a chance.

badboy
04-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Draft grades period :rolleyes:You sound like the guy who did not like cars but manages to go to all the car shows to say how he doesn't like them. If you don't want to play move along.

Carr Bombed
04-27-2012, 09:51 PM
As I said elsewhere, Smithiak has too many WTF moments for me to buy in.

Yep, that Duane Brown (declared the biggest reach of the first round) was also a HUGE WTF moment.

Like I said earlier, these guys have nailed down solid drafts that last 3 years... they've earned leeway. I'll wait and see before I pull out my pitchfork.

eriadoc
04-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Yep, that Duane Brown (declared the biggest reach of the first round) was also a HUGE WTF moment.

Straw man much?

dtran04
04-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Bump this thread in 3-4 years.

Carr Bombed
04-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Straw man much?

not really. It was a fair argument. Straw man would be eliminating the rest of my post and hand picking one sentence to respond to.

These two guys were first time HC/GMs. Maybe just maybe they now know what the hell they're doing. Their recent track record suggests that they do.

phantom17
04-27-2012, 10:04 PM
I will give a B! I love the Merciless & Brandon pick! I'm starting to warm up on the Posey pick! Mayock thought he was a good pick. I think he's stock fell becuz of the tats scandal, LOL! I guess they felt they needed an edgy, badboy type player! I'm hoping Kubes & Co. can coach him well & A.J> can probably teach him a thing or two!:)

GP
04-27-2012, 10:05 PM
I didn't go a-hole over us picking Mario. I was fine with it.

I didn't freak out over us trading down and then choosing D Brown and later Slaton. I was for it.

I didn't freak out one single time last year.

Tonight? I had a major malfunction of Full Metal Jacket proportions. Because I think we screwed up completely. I do NOT trust that Posey was our guy. I think we lost out on someone we coveted, traded down (thinking the teams ahead of us wouldn't pick other guys we wanted), and then we had to settle for Posey.

But all we will hear from Smithiak is how much they like that Posey kid...who didn't play most of his senior year because of being suspended. Shucks, we landed the guy we wanted all along......;)

Whitney Mercilus was a beast pick. Brooks, when I look at how we have drafted OL the past two years, seems to be a good pick. Posey? No way in China.

eriadoc
04-27-2012, 10:06 PM
not really. It was a fair argument. Straw man would be eliminating the rest of my post and hand picking one sentence to respond to.

No, you need to look up what a straw man argument is.

A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.

In this case, you set up the Duane Brown straw man and then knocked it down. Good job. I never said anything about Duane Brown. FTR, I was all for that pick when it happened.

These two guys were first time HC/GMs.

... which explains why they've had so many WTDF moments.

Maybe just maybe they now know what the hell they're doing. Their recent track record suggests that they do.

Maybe. Maybe they don't. Maybe they'd tell us that KJ is the most NFL ready CB, despite Nick Saban and later Wade Phillips refuting that point. Maybe they're telling us that Jacoby Jones is worth a 3rd round pick. Or Antwaun Molden.

Or maybe it's the next great WR. But right now, it's a WTF moment. And I bet you dollars to doughnuts that is exactly what a ton of NFL people said when the trade/subsequent pick went down. So yeah, we'll see. I recognize that. Do you recognize that they are still growing into the job?

Dash
04-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Incomplete. The 4th round will make or break it for me.

gary
04-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Every player in the draft is basically a project no matter the round.

AMartin56
04-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Incomplete. The 4th round will make or break it for me.

Lot of good players still available in the 4th!

phantom17
04-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Lot of good players still available in the 4th!

I agree! Now, we need to let Wade take over the draft & lock Kubes & Smith in the closet!:wadepalm:

Carr Bombed
04-27-2012, 10:23 PM
No, you need to look up what a straw man argument is.

In this case, you set up the Duane Brown straw man and then knocked it down. Good job. I never said anything about Duane Brown. FTR, I was all for that pick when it happened.

... which explains why they've had so many WTDF moments.

Maybe. Maybe they don't. Maybe they'd tell us that KJ is the most NFL ready CB, despite Nick Saban and later Wade Phillips refuting that point. Maybe they're telling us that Jacoby Jones is worth a 3rd round pick. Or Antwaun Molden.

Or maybe it's the next great WR. But right now, it's a WTF moment. And I bet you dollars to doughnuts that is exactly what a ton of NFL people said when the trade/subsequent pick went down. So yeah, we'll see. I recognize that. Do you recognize that they are still growing into the job?

After 6-7 years on the job... I think they've grown into it. Unlike other people in this thread I really like what they've done so far, so I'm not ****ing bricks right now or hitting panic buttons.

I'm sitting fat and happy and I'm pretty content with this draft so far. I'm really looking forward to see what our 3 4th round draft picks will net us tomorrow.

ObsiWan
04-27-2012, 10:29 PM

I'll just wait to see them play.

Like I said earlier, these guys have nailed down solid drafts that last 3 years... they've earned leeway. I'll wait and see before I pull out my pitchfork.

Put me in the wait and see if they can play crowd.

I remember the "future hall of famer" predictions for Reggie Bush and how Mel Hairgel went on and on and on about how great Brady Quinn was gonna be...
...and didn't a lot of us lament the loss of a our former starting RG that no one bothered to draft?

Yeah.... I'll just wait and see if they can play.

GP
04-27-2012, 10:33 PM
After 6-7 years on the job... I think they've grown into it. Unlike other people in this thread I really like what they've done so far, so I'm not ****ing bricks right now or hitting panic buttons.

I'm sitting fat and happy and I'm pretty content with this draft so far. I'm really looking forward to see what our 3 4th round draft picks will net us tomorrow.

One of those 4th rounders needs to be the K from A&M.

Maybe the final 4th rounder we have, but I wouldn't want Kubiak to wait until round 5 for the guy.

We have no FG kicker and the FA's available look like Frito corn chips left for a month on a hot sidewalk in July.

ObsiWan
04-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Every player in the draft is basically a project no matter the round.

Words of wisdom, buddy.

I've always found it interesting that when the talking heads over-rate someone, instead of manning up and saying they screwed up in their assessment, they call the player they mis-rated a "bust".

gary
04-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Words of wisdom, buddy.

I've always found it interesting that when the talking heads over-rate someone, instead of manning up and saying they screwed up in their assessment, they call the player they mis-rated a "bust".They are projects because even the top players will still get better or just be a bust.

TexanCR
04-28-2012, 12:37 AM
C-

Without Whitney it will be an F easily :kubepalm:

The Cush
04-28-2012, 12:51 AM
I need to see these guys play, for awhile, before I put a grade on them. I don't know ANYTHING about either of our day 2 picks but I'm not going to put a low grade because of that like many people are doing.

First thing I did though when I got home was I looked up their draft grades on NFL.com to get a feeler of where these guys may have gone. Posey's grade was a 71.5 and Brooks had an 82.5. That's actually not too shabby for 3rd round picks.

b0ng
04-28-2012, 01:18 AM
One thing I can say about this thread is that it is going to be very amusing to re read in the coming years. Lots of emotion here.

For the record I am okay with the positions, the player themselves meh. Trading down and getting Posey could be questionable, but I know nothing about him. Brooks may be a solid pick up, but, a 350lb guard? Either way I can't go heavy positive or negative.

Wolf6151
04-28-2012, 03:12 AM
C.

Only Mercilus keeps it from being a full-on F.

I'm so pissed over Posey that I cannot see straight enough to think clearly about Brooks yet.

Your not alone. This was a terrible WTF moment for Kubiak.

Wade makes the 1st pick and almost everyone see it as a great pick, I give it an A.
Kubiak makes the 2nd pick and most folks give it a WTF. :kubepalm:

Here's hoping that McNair has enough sense to step in and not let Kubiak make any more picks.

Corrosion
04-28-2012, 05:36 AM
You negative nancy's .... I hope you eat crow , served cold and rotten. :corrosion:

Norg
04-28-2012, 05:47 AM
ill compare it to last years draft

JJ watt- Hey this dude is big can prob help our D

Merclus - Hey OLB depth ok make sense we lost mario

Brooks reed- ???dont know him Hey this dude has long hair ok good building block for a new 3-4

Posey- ????? dont know him we needed WR depth ok

Brandon harris- OK ????? i guess we need som CB help

Brooks- OL depth ehhh ok didnt really need it but o well

eriadoc
04-28-2012, 07:51 AM
You negative nancy's .... I hope you eat crow , served cold and rotten. :corrosion:

So do we, actually. It's not like we want the team to suck, ya know.

rmartin65
04-28-2012, 08:01 AM
So do we, actually. It's not like we want the team to suck, ya know.

Somebody else gets it!

My God people, we dont want the Texans to draft bad players. We dont get some sick little rush of joy when we disagree with a pick. We just have our opinions.

dalemurphy
04-28-2012, 08:16 AM
I didn't go a-hole over us picking Mario. I was fine with it.

I didn't freak out over us trading down and then choosing D Brown and later Slaton. I was for it.

I didn't freak out one single time last year.

Tonight? I had a major malfunction of Full Metal Jacket proportions. Because I think we screwed up completely. I do NOT trust that Posey was our guy. I think we lost out on someone we coveted, traded down (thinking the teams ahead of us wouldn't pick other guys we wanted), and then we had to settle for Posey.

But all we will hear from Smithiak is how much they like that Posey kid...who didn't play most of his senior year because of being suspended. Shucks, we landed the guy we wanted all along......;)

Whitney Mercilus was a beast pick. Brooks, when I look at how we have drafted OL the past two years, seems to be a good pick. Posey? No way in China.

Based on what? I don't know if it's a good pick or not. But, how do you come up with this totally unsupported theory, assume the theory is true, and then react harshly because you think the theory is true (based on nothing)?

The Texans have taken guys in the middle rounds before that were surprising, somewhat off radar selections. Many of those worked out very well:

Charles Spencer
Glover Quin
Owen Daniels (people freaked out over this one!)
T.J. Yates

By the way, nothing about the Texans' organization and their history indicates they would gamble the way you are suggesting they did. Doesn't make it a good pick, but I suggest your theory is unsubstantiated and totally false.

gary
04-28-2012, 10:35 AM
No one knows how these players will play but let's just act like we do.

buddyboy
04-28-2012, 11:40 AM
People can't wait 2-3 years before judging players so they wait...3 rounds? Stuff like this is not worth arguing about or getting too agitated about. There are no guarantees. We as fans think we know best, but I guarantee you that Kubiak and Wade do more research and know more than we'll ever know.

We might think they reached, might have ignored some needs, might have passed on some "can't miss prospects". Fact is, the draft is such a crapshoot that neither we, nor the FO can accurately project everything, so there's no point in freaking out.

drs23
04-28-2012, 01:41 PM
My grade: idonno:

I went all the way to the 9th grade. In all those 10 years of formal schooling I can't recall ever having received a report card before I walked into the building.

That insignificant fact set aside, I think I'll wait until the bell rings at the end of the season. This year, and a couple more afterward. :shrug:

But that's just me.

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2012, 01:44 PM
My grade: idonno:

I went all the way to the 9th grade. In all those 10 years of formal schooling I can't recall ever having received a report card before I walked into the building.

That insignificant fact set aside, I think I'll wait until the bell rings at the end of the season. This year, and a couple more afterward. :shrug:

But that's just me.

Well said.

I think they got the guys they wanted. I don't know yet if those guys are going to produce.

Thorn
04-28-2012, 01:50 PM
I think we are all aware that the grades we give to this draft today are based solely on emotion and potential, and nothing else. But that shouldn't keep us from having fun grading it anyway.

drunkcookie
04-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Lol these crack me up...we're always wrong and overreacting...

Grade this draft in a year or 2-3, NOT before it's even over... #toosoon

Wow...

DocBar
04-28-2012, 01:52 PM
I enjoy the initial gut reaction to drafted players and then comparing those thoughts to how players pan out after ~3 years in the league. I also find it fun to see how badly the talking head "draft guru's" miss the mark.

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2012, 01:53 PM
I enjoy the initial gut reaction to drafted players and then comparing those thoughts to how players pan out after ~3 years in the league. I also find it fun to see how badly the talking head "draft guru's" miss the mark.

I will always fondly remember Mel Kiper saying that in 4-5 years NO one will look back at the 2002 draft and think that David Carr or Joey Harrington are busts.

And there you go.

DocBar
04-28-2012, 01:58 PM
I will always fondly remember Mel Kiper saying that in 4-5 years NO one will look back at the 2002 draft and think that David Carr or Joey Harrington are busts.

And there you go.Yep. Kiper is hilariously wrong so often it kind of takes the hilarity out of it. :yawn:

badboy
04-28-2012, 02:00 PM
For some of us we get enjoyment and excitement from the draft and the build up to it. We become "emotionally" vested just like most of you do with the actual games. Some of you just want to love on the boys regardless of anything and become hurt when one is traded or let go. Some just set back and let daddy tell you what happens next & you are cool with that. The enjoyment we get is becoming involved with "Our" team. We each read things differently on players, coaches, owners, schemes, play calling etc.

If you want to wait 2-3 years and evaluate, do so but allow others to do what we want. It amazes me how many of you demand to be allowed to do, think and say what you want but are quick to tell others what they should not do.

76Texan
04-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Another solid draft for the Texans, considering they were drafting low in order.
They did a good job replenishing the pond.
I'm looking forward to the play-offs again! :fans:

rmartin65
04-28-2012, 02:02 PM
For some of us we get enjoyment and excitement from the draft and the build up to it. We become "emotionally" vested just like most of you do with the actual games. Some of you just want to love on the boys regardless of anything and become hurt when one is traded or let go. Some just set back and let daddy tell you what happens next & you are cool with that. The enjoyment we get is becoming involved with "Our" team. We each read things differently on players, coaches, owners, schemes, play calling etc.

If you want to wait 2-3 years and evaluate, do so but allow others to do what we want. It amazes me how many of you demand to be allowed to do, think and say what you want but are quick to tell others what they should not do.

Well said. MSR

gary
04-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Another solid draft for the Texans, considering they were drafting low in order.
They did a good job replenishing the pond.
I'm looking forward to the play-offs again! :fans:That is fine with me.

ObsiWan
04-28-2012, 02:05 PM

And there you go.

My fave Mel Kiper moments were when he got so butt-hurt that Brady Quinn didn't go higher. He really threw a hissy fit.

Errant Hothy
04-28-2012, 02:08 PM

I don't see anyone saying you can't; but several who are saying that it might not be the wisest thing to do.

This is a message board, a discussion or debate. If you post something you best be ready to stand by it and defend it if needed.

So post your draft grade to your hearts content, just don't be shocked when somebody mentions that grading these guys before they play might be iffy.

It's happend everywhere this forum has exsisted, so you really shouldn't be surprised by now.

badboy
04-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Bullock in 5th is early but locks him in and improves draft.

Thorn
Well said. MSR

I got him for you. :)

DX-TEX
Bullock in 5th is early but locks him in and improves draft.

Makes it an A+

disaacks3
04-28-2012, 02:11 PM
C+
Agreed. Mercilus brought it down. Yep a guy nobody expected to still be there, the NCAA sack leader for 2011 sure made day one suck. :rolleyes:

Day 1

I give it a B , filled a need with a player who I didnt expect to be on the board when the Texans picked.

Day 2

Again I give it a B. Filled two needs with quality players.

Seems like most of the long time draft followers dont care for Posey .... But I am happy with the pick , think he's far more polished than any of the other prospects that we were talking about taking in either of the first two rounds.

Sitting out most of his Sr. season hurt his draft stock but the production was there in the two prior seasons. Good size , good speed , great hands , polished route runner , effective blocker. What more can you ask for .... and in the 3rd round no less. Agreed with all. My only "gripe" w/ the Texans this year was not trading up in the second. It obvious that they had guys on their board who they were counting on to be there that didn't fall. Once that became obvious, then they traded back.

drunkcookie
04-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Okay...they just drafted the AnM kicker... I will now give this draft an A+, only because there is no letter before A...

DocBar
04-28-2012, 02:17 PM
It's kinda cool that we can finally have a rather ho-hum draft with no real expectations (other than the 5th round PK) of having these guys make an immediate impact as starters. This could easily end up as a very solid draft with quality starters in a few years. :clap:

Thorn
04-28-2012, 02:20 PM
It's kinda cool that we can finally have a rather ho-hum draft with no real expectations (other than the 5th round PK) of having these guys make an immediate impact as starters. This could easily end up as a very solid draft with quality starters in a few years. :clap:

Over all, I think this was an excellent draft without even knowing our last pick. I think the team has improved itself.

drunkcookie
04-28-2012, 02:20 PM

Lol... No one's saying you can't, and i understand it's all in fun and all... I'm just saying it's funny because i see D-s through A+s... almost everyone is already wrong, with absolutely nothing to base their grades on since none of these players have stepped on the NFL field yet...

For me, i will not grade the test before it's been taken... I'll talk about liking/loving/not liking/just being "okay" with a pick, but i can't grade it yet...

TimeKiller
04-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Geez, some people say it takes years to grade a draft properly. We're not even gonna wait until it's FINISHED?!?

DX-TEX
04-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Lol... No one's saying you can't, and i understand it's all in fun and all... I'm just saying it's funny because i see D-s through A+s... almost everyone is already wrong, with absolutely nothing to base their grades on since none of these players have stepped on the NFL field yet...

For me, i will not grade the test before it's been taken... I'll talk about liking/loving/not liking/just being "okay" with a pick, but i can't grade it yet...

We drafted a kicker! Our most pressing need dammit!

A+ :trophy::trophy:

The1ApplePie
04-28-2012, 02:30 PM
B+ to A for me.

Posey is the only real question mark. I was high on Crick and think he could be the steal of the draft.

welsh texan
04-28-2012, 02:32 PM

I wouldn't underestimate the importance of this draft just because we don't need these guys to start straight away. In 12 months time we're going to have choices to make regarding a lot of the current starters and their contracts, and we're going to need several of these guys to be ready to step in as starters at that point.

That should help these rookie's chances though, giving the coaches some leeway in how they coach them, they can take things that bit slower and get it right knowing that these guys just need to contribute rather than being lynchpins in game 1.

BTW, I'm not going to rate this draft now, but its interesting to read the insight of those who have watched the tape, so keep going. Not like its a final grade, just an idea of how people rate the guys right now. The major factor in this drafts success hasn't yet begun, the coaching, but I don't see anyone claiming some kind of be-all and end-all in their grade right now.

DocBar
04-28-2012, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't underestimate the importance of this draft just because we don't need these guys to start straight away. In 12 months time we're going to have choices to make regarding a lot of the current starters and their contracts, and we're going to need several of these guys to be ready to step in as starters at that point.

That should help these rookie's chances though, giving the coaches some leeway in how they coach them, they can take things that bit slower and get it right knowing that these guys just need to contribute rather than being lynchpins in game 1.I wasn't underestimating this draft at all. I called it ho-hum because, barring injury, the only projected starter is a 5th round place kicker. The others can be brought along just like you described. This is how consistent playoff teams draft and we certainly seem headed towards being consistent contenders.

phantom17
04-28-2012, 02:42 PM
I really like the picks, especially where we drafted them! Now hopefully they will pan out, so we can win a "friggin" SB! Haha, can;t hurt to dream! B+:bravo:

Wolf
04-28-2012, 02:44 PM
rams just drafted a kicker in 6th, so Texans did some good there

can't complain about that now in hindsight

drunkcookie
04-28-2012, 02:46 PM
rams just drafted a kicker in 6th, so Texans did some good there

can't complain about that now in hindsight

Agree...

The1ApplePie
04-28-2012, 02:46 PM
I wasn't underestimating this draft at all. I called it ho-hum because, barring injury, the only projected starter is a 5th round place kicker. The others can be brought along just like you described. This is how consistent playoff teams draft and we certainly seem headed towards being consistent contenders.

Merci will start day one I think. Brooks Reed seems more like a situational guy.

Posey will phase out Walter as the season goes along. You need a playmaker on the outside.

welsh texan
04-28-2012, 02:47 PM
I wasn't underestimating this draft at all. I called it ho-hum because, barring injury, the only projected starter is a 5th round place kicker. The others can be brought along just like you described. This is how consistent playoff teams draft and we certainly seem headed towards being consistent contenders.

Totally agree mate, was picking up on your point rather than disagreeing. Feels good to be in this position and I like what I'm hearing about the picks so far.

I think it leads to some talented players getting released after camp, which is always a good sign.

Thorn
04-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Merci will start day one I think. Brooks Reed seems more like a situational guy.

Posey will phase out Walter as the season goes along. You need a playmaker on the outside.

Kibuak has stated many times he fells that 1st round picks should be starters day one. If Merciles can beat out Reed, then that just makes us a better team because Reed proved he can be a starter.

Marcus
04-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Draft grades period :rolleyes:

YUP!

:includeme:

gtexan02
04-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Its funny how many people will come in to a thread called "Texans draft grade" just to post their "novel" idea that you can't grade a draft until 2-3 years after the players have been in the league. And then when someone tries to defend the grading as personal enjoyment, they get all defensive.

1) Why did you even click on this thread? What did you think was going to be in this thread?

2) Once you were in the thread, why waste your time posting? If theres one thing even less useful than grading a draft thats still going on, its posting a useless complaint about the process to an audience who doesn't care

Football is entertainment. Grading drafts is fun. Get over it.

That said, I give our draft a solid B.
First pick was A-
Position of need, good player, good value

Second pick (Posey and the Center) gets a C+
Position of need for WR, not for C unless he plays G. Not good value for WR

Third pick (Keshawn) gets a B+
Position of need for WR and as KR/PR Like this guy a lot

Fourth pick (Crick) gets a B
Depth need and injury history

Fifth pick (Kicker) gets a B
Position of need but a little early in terms of value

rmartin65
04-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Its funny how many people will come in to a thread called "Texans draft grade" just to post their "novel" idea that you can't grade a draft until 2-3 years after the players have been in the league. And then when someone tries to defend the grading as personal enjoyment, they get all defensive.

1) Why did you even click on this thread? What did you think was going to be in this thread?

2) Once you were in the thread, why waste your time posting? If theres one thing even less useful than grading a draft thats still going on, its posting a useless complaint about the process to an audience who doesn't care

Football is entertainment. Grading drafts is fun. Get over it.

That said, I give our draft a solid B.
First pick was A-
Position of need, good player, good value

Second pick (Posey and the Center) gets a C+
Position of need for WR, not for C unless he plays G. Not good value for WR

Third pick (Keshawn) gets a B+
Position of need for WR and as KR/PR Like this guy a lot

Fourth pick (Crick) gets a B
Depth need and injury history

Fifth pick (Kicker) gets a B
Position of need but a little early in terms of value

Some people are not happy unless they are ****ting on others. It sucks, but that is how it is.

gtexan02
04-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Some people are not happy unless they are ****ting on others. It sucks, but that is how it is.

Yup, and its easy to see through because the thread isn't trying to hide what it is

TexCanada
04-28-2012, 02:57 PM
I think the "starter" label gets way over-blown. We absolutely need 3 OLBs on this team, and it really doesn't matter which ones are in on the first defensive possession or the second.

I am very happy with this draft. It is a lot easier going into a draft knowing that you already have a pretty decent football team. We needed quality depth and I think we have done that. Bring on the season.

gtexan02
04-28-2012, 03:00 PM
I think the "starter" label gets way over-blown. We absolutely need 3 OLBs on this team, and it really doesn't matter which ones are in on the first defensive possession or the second.

I am very happy with this draft. It is a lot easier going into a draft knowing that you already have a pretty decent football team. We needed quality depth and I think we have done that. Bring on the season.

Excellent point. CB3 is not a "starter" but is key to a great team

drunkcookie
04-28-2012, 03:00 PM

1.) Because i wanted to read some thoughts and at the same time reply to the topic... The topic was draft grades, and i gave my opinion on grading drafts before the players involved provide a body of work to grade...

2.) Look at answer 1 for most of the answer to question 2. Obviously you cared or you wouldn't have made your reply...

I don't have a problem with people grading this draft, if they have fun doing it more power to them... And i do enjoy reading thoughts in such threads... But really, when the experts always come back with their "Regrading the (insert year here) Draft" articles mid-way through the season, every season, it should be noted that it's because they should have waited in the first place...

Carr Bombed
04-28-2012, 05:00 PM
For all the doom and gloomers who cried and lambasted Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak after their 2nd draft selection, the NFL Network crew just gave Houston the best draft grade in the entire division. :)

Maybe, just maybe we're at the point where we don't have to expect the worst and hope for the best every time we draft. They've been pretty good lately.

jaayteetx
04-28-2012, 05:14 PM

yep...why must everybody grade a draft as soon as it happens? thats just craziness.

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2012, 05:25 PM
yep...why must everybody grade a draft as soon as it happens? thats just craziness.

Draft Grades, at this point, are just feelings. Nothing wrong with that.

The problem is thinking that a draft grade really reflects how good or bad a team performed during the draft. As long as you keep it in perspective, there's nothing wrong with it.

I feel good about this draft. They didn't draft some guys I expected but I've got no problems with what they drafted or who they drafted. I think we've got at least 2 guys that are going to be starters.

I think we're going to see some changes in our line. I don't think Caldwell ends up as a starter and I think Wade Smith might have lost his job, too.

I think our WR corps just got totally revamped with AJ the only one that keeps his job. I think we're also going to start to get some production from our UDFA WRs from last year.

I grade this a B+ draft.

ziggy29
04-28-2012, 05:27 PM
There are "first impression" grades and there are "final" grades. Nothing wrong with "grading" a draft now as long as we realize these are based only on our expectations and not on how they actually turn out.

Rey
04-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Started out kind of rocky for me, but I'm going to give the daft a grade of A overall.

Not going to lie, I'm not a Mercilus fan. I hated the pick at first, but I'm ok with it now. I would have liked someone with a little more explosion and awareness but Merci should be a good to decent player for a long time. He has ok measureables and he is a guy that grinds on every play.

DeVier Posey is a guy that I like. I need to see him play in a Texans uniform before I can say I really like him, but from what I've seen I like his game. Again, I don't see anything that strikes me as spectacular about his game, but I do think he is capable of being a good #2 receiver. Not an AJ replacement, but a good role player that will be dependable.

I think Brandon Brooks is going to take someones job. I had to do some research on him, but the guy is a freak. Big, strong and Foster is going to love him. He is going to bust holes open and LB's will not want to deal with him.

Ben Jones, I haven't seen a lot of clips on him, but in the ones I have seen I like the tenaciosness he plays with. I mocked him to us in one of my early mock drafts, but when we re-signed Meyers I took him off. Good pick up for depth and maybe a possible starter at some point.

I like Keshawn Martin a lot. I think he will see playing time as a returner and in the slot. We don't have a WR like him on the roster. Mahael is close in comparison but he doesn't have the top end speed that Martin has. Good hands, Good route runner. I like him.

JARED CRICK. My favorite pick. I think he's going to play a lot. I love his game and I think it's very similar to JJ Watt's. High motor, good pass rusher. Before his injury he was on pace to be Nebraska's all time sack leader. I think he's going to fit in wonderfully in our 3-4. I also think he makes possibly makes Antonio Smith expendable in the future.

Randy Bullock was a staple in my mock draft for a while and I refused to take him out. I was convinced we'd pick him. Good kicker. Needs to work on his range, but he is super consistent.

I can't wait to see this team in pre-season.

Thorn
04-28-2012, 06:08 PM

It's fun, probably inaccurate, but fun nonetheless. I enjoy draft days. :)

badboy
04-28-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't see anyone saying you can't; but several who are saying that it might not be the wisest thing to do.

This is a message board, a discussion or debate. If you post something you best be ready to stand by it and defend it if needed.

So post your draft grade to your hearts content, just don't be shocked when somebody mentions that grading these guys before they play might be iffy.

It's happend everywhere this forum has exsisted, so you really shouldn't be surprised by now.I think I have a pretty good reputation for defending myself and my posts/threads. I will be happy to debate anyone or discuss just about anything. Making fun of any thread or putting it down just because you don't like the topic is easily remedied by moving on. To agree or disagree on the grades given on a player is one thing to punk the thread is silly to me.

GP
04-28-2012, 06:55 PM

It's happend everywhere this forum has exsisted, so you really shouldn't be surprised by now.

All you've done is talk trash.

And you didn't even know 6th round was our last round.

So basically you go around dumping on people more than talking football.

People like scouting, and ranking, and grading. Contribute or move along, it's really that simple.

badboy
04-28-2012, 06:56 PM

For me, i will not grade the test before it's been taken... I'll talk about liking/loving/not liking/just being "okay" with a pick, but i can't grade it yet...Then why are you posting in a thread that specifically asks posters to do just that, grade the draft? It is about our initial thoughts based on college production. Don't you imagine that the coaches sometimes change their grades on players as the players progress? We do the same.

Most of like to get feedback from others as it sometimes initiates stronger opinions or encourages to rethink our positions.

80tothezone
04-28-2012, 06:59 PM
I think we addressed all of our needs might have chosen a different WR. I would give us a B missing on Reuben Randall. was bad...

sent from way too close to Dallas....

EllisUnit
04-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Not big on media, but i love it how they all praise houston here and at the end say noone gained any ground on houston !

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d828b801e/2012-NFL-Draft-Grades-AFC-South

The Medic01
04-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Then why are you posting in a thread that specifically asks posters to do just that, grade the draft? It is about our initial thoughts based on college production. Don't you imagine that the coaches sometimes change their grades on players as the players progress? We do the same.

Most of like to get feedback from others as it sometimes initiates stronger opinions or encourages to rethink our positions.

Because he wants to and it isn't against any laws or forum rules in America as far as I know.

GP
04-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Because he wants to and it isn't against any laws or forum rules in America as far as I know.

It's sort of being a jerk though, right?

I mean the purpose here ( supposedly) is to talk football. I don't see why people have to just be a turd because it's not illegal.

There is a level of etiquette in a forum, and frankly if you can't be nice to others then why be here???

ObsiWan
04-28-2012, 07:27 PM

The problem is thinking that a draft grade really reflects how good or bad a team performed during the draft. As long as you keep it in perspective, there's nothing wrong with it.

I feel good about this draft. They didn't draft some guys I expected but I've got no problems with what they drafted or who they drafted. I think we've got at least 2 guys that are going to be starters.

I think we're going to see some changes in our line. I don't think Caldwell ends up as a starter and I think Wade Smith might have lost his job, too.

I think our WR corps just got totally revamped with AJ the only one that keeps his job. I think we're also going to start to get some production from our UDFA WRs from last year.

I grade this a B+ draft.

The bolded sums it up perfectly.
While I'm one of those who like to wait and see the guys play before assessing how successful the draft was I can see doing a "first impressions" grade right after the draft.

With that in mind, my first impression is very favorable. They addressed, what I thought, was second the biggest need by getting a stud to add to the OLB rotation right off the bat. And if Wade picked him, that likely means he sees some Demarcus Ware in him. Gotta like that.

As you said, TPN, they retooled the WR corps and got a possible return guy in the process.

And they restocked the OL in the later rounds. If our coaches can transform Briesel from UDFA to a 4 million-dollar guard, then they should be able to do something with at least one of these guys.

And we even drafted an award-winning kicker.

The only nit I have - and it is a nit - is we didn't get a QB. I agree with Thorn. We need a 3rd stringer. But we can probably get camp arms in F/A.

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2012, 07:46 PM
The only nit I have - and it is a nit - is we didn't get a QB. I agree with Thorn. We need a 3rd stringer. But we can probably get camp arms in F/A.

We ended up with Case Keenum. So. There you go. :)

drunkcookie
04-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Then why are you posting in a thread that specifically asks posters to do just that, grade the draft? It is about our initial thoughts based on college production. Don't you imagine that the coaches sometimes change their grades on players as the players progress? We do the same.

This thread is about giving this draft a grade, right? I just gave my opinion on giving this draft a grade... It's not like i came in here talking off topic or anything... My feedback obviously initiated strong opinions on the topic of grading this draft at this time, so i feel i at least contributed to the thread in that way...

As for coaches grading players and changing those grades as the players progress/don't progress, that isn't a good comparison... Players get better, players get worse... This draft will never change, it is what it is... These players will contribute greatly, well enough, a little here and there or not at all... Right now we do not know...

Now i'm not being a jerk, don't take it that way, but i really do laugh at it because look how many people wrong already! A's here, Bs there, some Cs and Ds, possible Fs...-s and +s... All with nothing to base it off of but "feeling"... I understand the feelings, but some of these grades are being presented as "fact"...

This isn't just for posters here, but for all of the "experts" in print and on the tube...

It is a good discussion, though...i've seen a lot of thoughtful insight.on these threads and guys, have at it... But just as you guys disagree over players and trading back etc..., i disagree with grading a test yet to be taken...

drunkcookie
04-28-2012, 08:03 PM
It's sort of being a jerk though, right?

I mean the purpose here ( supposedly) is to talk football. I don't see why people have to just be a turd because it's not illegal.

There is a level of etiquette in a forum, and frankly if you can't be nice to others then why be here???

How am i being a turd? I just don't agree with grading the draft at this point! Isn't that a part of talking football and contributing to the discussion? Was i supposed to start a new thread, then have someone say "dude we already have two threads on grading this draft, your post should have been posted in one of the existing threads!"?

I'm not calling people names, telling people they're idiots etc... I'm not going off the handle one bit... I'm here to share my opinion as well... That's what this board is here for, eh?

Rey
04-28-2012, 08:07 PM
How am i being a turd? I just don't agree with grading the draft at this point! Isn't that a part of talking football and contributing to the discussion? Was i supposed to start a new thread, then have someone say "dude we already have two threads on grading this draft, your post should have been posted in one of the existing threads!"?

I'm not calling people names, telling people they're idiots etc... I'm not going off the handle one bit... I'm here to share my opinion as well... That's what this board is here for, eh?

Honestly Im not sure why people are making a big deal out of it. You don't believe in grading drafts at this point.

Ok, thanks for the input...Now back to those that want to discuss draft grades.

It's really not that crucial.

BullNation4Life
04-29-2012, 12:10 AM
While the other posters cat fight with each other, retract the claws ladies :slapfight:, I'll get back on topic...

I am giving the Texans a Solid B+ if not an A and here is why...

For the first time in Texans history, they were not drafting for need but depth. Except for the first pick in Mercilus, everything after him was for depth and depth alone.

As much as some might hate the Posey pick, I see one of the main reasons Kubiak drafted him is he can block and where he will be playing, Jones' spot, he will be blocking on the perimeter allot. I had no problem with this pick. Had the kid not got ate up with the dumb ass at Ohio State, he would have easily been a late first early second round pick. Because he didn't play most of his Senior year, scouts and so called "draft experts" (That is like calling me a message board expert) threw him in the 6-7th round. But that is here nor there...

Anybody that thought any drafted WR was coming in and taking Kevin Walter's spot as #2 has clearly not been paying attention to how Kubak runs things for the past 7 years. AINT'T NO WAY IN HELL was Ruben Randell, Posey, Santa, E Bunny or anybody short of JC himself gonna walk right in and start for Gary Kubiak... So either way, Texans drafted for a 3rd WR, not 2nd and Posey will be just fine in that position, for the reasons I mentioned above...

Everything else was very well thought out. They got plenty of depth to work with for the next year or two and even picked up the home town boy, except I don't think Keenum is from the Houston area. I really believe, and yall can call me crazy, Keenum will be starting for the Texans in Kubiaks system in 3 years...

It is gonna be damn fun watching the Texans this year....

Scooter
04-29-2012, 12:31 AM
i'm giving it an A based on position, round, and need.

we took BPA in the first round with a player who we by all rights could've realistically traded up to get, at a premier position (pass rusher), and is a direct plug into wade's starting defense.

we traded out of the late second round for early 3rd and 4th, a huge win.

3rd was wide receiver and offensive line, the big needs this offseason.

4th we landed a 1-2 graded defensive end, as well as continuing to fulfill the needs on offense with another receiver and offensive lineman.

5th we jumped the run on special teamers and got our kicker

6th we again addressed the trenches and need with an athletic project on offensive line.

UDFA we got our 3rd string quarterback

without using a single name, we hit a grand slam by position in my opinion. one being a potential reach, but offset by getting one that fell ... all (except for kicker obviously) with the ability to learn behind someone while competing for a starting job. we got stronger and deeper in all the right areas, it's hard to ask for more.

badboy
04-29-2012, 10:19 PM

Posey will phase out Walter as the season goes along. You need a playmaker on the outside.Not happening, Walter runs good routes and is a very good blocker. Posey will need a year to improve before he replaces anyone unless injury occurs to Walter.

badboy
04-29-2012, 10:25 PM
While the other posters cat fight with each other, retract the claws ladies :slapfight:, I'll get back on topic...

I am giving the Texans a Solid B+ if not an A and here is why...

For the first time in Texans history, they were not drafting for need but depth. Except for the first pick in Mercilus, everything after him was for depth and depth alone.

As much as some might hate the Posey pick, I see one of the main reasons Kubiak drafted him is he can block and where he will be playing, Jones' spot, he will be blocking on the perimeter allot. I had no problem with this pick. Had the kid not got ate up with the dumb ass at Ohio State, he would have easily been a late first early second round pick. Because he didn't play most of his Senior year, scouts and so called "draft experts" (That is like calling me a message board expert) threw him in the 6-7th round. But that is here nor there...

Anybody that thought any drafted WR was coming in and taking Kevin Walter's spot as #2 has clearly not been paying attention to how Kubak runs things for the past 7 years. AINT'T NO WAY IN HELL was Ruben Randell, Posey, Santa, E Bunny or anybody short of JC himself gonna walk right in and start for Gary Kubiak... So either way, Texans drafted for a 3rd WR, not 2nd and Posey will be just fine in that position, for the reasons I mentioned above...

Everything else was very well thought out. They got plenty of depth to work with for the next year or two and even picked up the home town boy, except I don't think Keenum is from the Houston area. I really believe, and yall can call me crazy, Keenum will be starting for the Texans in Kubiaks system in 3 years...

It is gonna be damn fun watching the Texans this year....While I agre that Posey will not replace Walter, Kubiak has stated he considers JJ a starter as he and Walter play as WR2. I was hoping WR would be selected to replace JJ. That might be Jones or Jones 2 (Dwight).

badboy
04-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Because he wants to and it isn't against any laws or forum rules in America as far as I know.You really want to go with that? A thread is about a certain topic and you or whomever posts that it is silly to have the thread. Don't argue that the thread is revelent or not; if you think it's not just don't read it.

Your comment just convinces me you have no grasp on what I or others are saying. It is one thing to debate comments but another the thread.

badboy
04-29-2012, 10:39 PM
This thread is about giving this draft a grade, right? I just gave my opinion on giving this draft a grade... It's not like i came in here talking off topic or anything... My feedback obviously initiated strong opinions on the topic of grading this draft at this time, so i feel i at least contributed to the thread in that way...

As for coaches grading players and changing those grades as the players progress/don't progress, that isn't a good comparison... Players get better, players get worse... This draft will never change, it is what it is... These players will contribute greatly, well enough, a little here and there or not at all... Right now we do not know...

Now i'm not being a jerk, don't take it that way, but i really do laugh at it because look how many people wrong already! A's here, Bs there, some Cs and Ds, possible Fs...-s and +s... All with nothing to base it off of but "feeling"... I understand the feelings, but some of these grades are being presented as "fact"...

This isn't just for posters here, but for all of the "experts" in print and on the tube...

It is a good discussion, though...i've seen a lot of thoughtful insight.on these threads and guys, have at it... But just as you guys disagree over players and trading back etc..., i disagree with grading a test yet to be taken...

Now I see why you are confused, my thread is for posters to give opinions on how they evaluated the draft NOT whether we should post our evaluations which is what you did. Understand? If you disagreed or debated anyones thoughts/opinions that would have been thread appropriate but that is not what you did.

GP
04-30-2012, 12:23 AM

"Isn't that a part of talking football and contributing to the discussion?"

No, it's not what you did. What you were trying to say is that the people in here are all dumbasses for trying to grade the draft. Right?

So why not start your own thread with the title "Why I don't think we should grade a draft this early" and see how many partiers show up to party with you? But to come into someone else's party and crash it...it's junior high antics. At best.

You got the reactions, you got the face time in here, what else do you want? Share your opinion ON TOPIC instead of trying to debate the legitimacy of the topic. The topic is: GRADE THE TEXANS DRAFT.

It's so simple. Unless you want to make it difficult, which is what it appears. Congrats, you struck gold.

pirbroke
04-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Quick questions, It seems like every year we draft a few team captains. Did we draft any this year?
I seem to like this draft all the way to the end more than years past, I could see every pick making the team and contributing in the future, some faster than others of course. I am going to give it a big A. I like the big O-linemen we picked up for goaline situations and rotation, I think rotation on O-line is important in this era due to defensive rotations used much more than years past. The O-line needs rest to keep up with the energy, our smaller o-line actually seems to have good stamina compared to other teams that draft big hogs, but a few hogs for short yard situations is needed on this team. I have no clue about receivers and am just hoping they hit this time on at least one of them. I like half of y'all wanted a offensive play maker in the first but have warmed to the overall selections of the team............., can't wait for preseason to start, and hoping we can get past New England.

michaelm
04-30-2012, 08:27 AM
ill compare it to last years draft

JJ watt- Hey this dude is big can prob help our D

Merclus - Hey OLB depth ok make sense we lost mario

Brooks reed- ???dont know him Hey this dude has long hair ok good building block for a new 3-4

Posey- ????? dont know him we needed WR depth ok

Brandon harris- OK ????? i guess we need som CB help

Brooks- OL depth ehhh ok didnt really need it but o well

OL depth "really didn't need it"???
Lol, your credibility plummeted to below zero with that statement.

ckhouston
04-30-2012, 10:06 AM
After reading the bulk of this thread, I thought most of you may be able to use this.

http://www.vagisil.com/

Hope it gets better.

beerlover
04-30-2012, 10:13 AM
day one B
day two C
day three ?

day three A
UDFA A

conclusion B+

beerlover
04-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Quick questions, It seems like every year we draft a few team captains. Did we draft any this year?
I seem to like this draft all the way to the end more than years past, I could see every pick making the team and contributing in the future, some faster than others of course. I am going to give it a big A. I like the big O-linemen we picked up for goaline situations and rotation, I think rotation on O-line is important in this era due to defensive rotations used much more than years past. The O-line needs rest to keep up with the energy, our smaller o-line actually seems to have good stamina compared to other teams that draft big hogs, but a few hogs for short yard situations is needed on this team. I have no clue about receivers and am just hoping they hit this time on at least one of them. I like half of y'all wanted a offensive play maker in the first but have warmed to the overall selections of the team............., can't wait for preseason to start, and hoping we can get past New England.

Ben Jones, Center, Georgia
Very important skill set for position. Must be a leader, Captain of the OL.

axman40
04-30-2012, 10:16 AM
I will give it a grade in 3 years, when we actually have facts to back up the grade.
:fans:

beerlover
04-30-2012, 10:17 AM
I will give it a grade in 3 years, when we actually have facts to back up the grade.
:fans:

Grades are stupid fun that's all :)

Errant Hothy
04-30-2012, 10:31 AM
All you've done is talk trash.

And you didn't even know 6th round was our last round.

So basically you go around dumping on people more than talking football.

People like scouting, and ranking, and grading. Contribute or move along, it's really that simple.

On nos! I made a mistake, funny thing is I admitted it in the same thread. How horrible of me to forgett that our last pick was in the 6th round and not the 7th. I guess in your mind that negates any and everything else I have to say?

I cannot express the irony that you accussing me of dumping on people when you nearly lost yor mind dumping on Posey, Rick Smith, Kubiak, etc.

I've said a million ****ing times, and I guess I need to say it again. I get it that people like scouting, the draft and all that. My point of all last weekend was those that assume they know more than the NFL scouts are dillusional. LZ pointed out quite well how little information draftniks have compred to NFL teams. That info ranges from all-22 film to volume sof personel info. So when somebody throws one of the biggest wall-eyed fits in the history of the board over the Posey pick, I will call you on it. And by the way, that's talking football.

And once again, guess it's dump time; but I do not and will never understand the purpose of draft grades the Monday after the draft. I understand it even less when it is a proves fact that historically draft grades are one of the most inaccurate media inventions.

Errant Hothy
05-09-2014, 01:42 AM
Anybody want to revisit their grades?

The Pencil Neck
05-09-2014, 01:52 AM

I grade this a B+ draft.

After a couple of years, the jury is still out. Some guys could still step up and turn this into a pretty good haul.

To this point, I'd give it a C or a C-.

Mercilus has been playing but he hasn't been very productive. Devier Posey, again, still has some potential but was probably a big, huge mistake as was K-Mart.

OTOH, Brandon Brooks was a pretty good pick. Ben Jones and Jared Crick were OK. I expected more out of Crick.

And then there's Bullock. smh

powda
05-09-2014, 01:59 AM

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1161123-houston-texans-2012-nfl-draft-picks-grades-results-and-analysis

Still early.

Mercy.
Posey.
brooks.
Jones.
Kmart.
Crick.
Bulloch.
Mondek.

I see brooks as a possible above average guard in a year or two. Ive seen flashes from Posey I liked. Average starter potential in jones and maybe crick down the line. Im still not ready to give up on mercy. Still early but clearly no hall of farmers here. Id give it a c+ to a b- because we still may get 3-4 starters out of this draft.

kiwitexansfan
05-09-2014, 02:10 AM
Appears I didn't give the draft a grade.

I'll get ahead of the pack and give the 2014 draft a B-. Hate what we did on day 3

humblegeo
05-09-2014, 07:09 AM
Day 1: F
Didn't address primary need at quarterback position. Now the top three quarterbacks are gone. If they don't take a quarterback this year then use the #2 on the top running back in the draft. We have got to add some weapons to this pitiful offense of ours.

OzzO
05-09-2014, 07:14 AM
Psst.... this is a 2012 thread.

Note the thread revival post:

:kubepalm:

HJam72
05-09-2014, 07:18 AM
Day 1: D

Did not get the trade down from the #1 pick, because we have ridiculous fantasies about how much that pick is worth when we didn't even really want anybody there. Did not get any one of the top 3 QBs out of this draft. Watched while Cleveland showed guts and took some risk, followed by more watching while Minnesota traded up to #32 and RAPED us. If we weren't going to take a chance on Manziel, and Bortles was long gone, we NEEDED Bridgewater...

Cannot give them an F when everybody wanted Clowney. Might've even been the right choice, but I don't like it for several reasons, and am now already waiting on the 2015 QB draft class....which will probably suck too for all I know.

HJam72
05-09-2014, 07:19 AM
Psst.... this is a 2012 thread.

Note the thread revival post:

:kubepalm:

Well, aren't we moving it up to the present?

OzzO
05-09-2014, 07:23 AM
You can, but the post that brought it back from the dead was "anyone want to revisit their grade"

HJam72
05-09-2014, 07:36 AM
That's OK, whatever. I'm just not happy this morning.

Errant Hothy
05-09-2014, 07:41 AM
This is becoming the most unintentionally funny thread I've ever been a part of.

Yes this a revisit of 2012 draft grades.

HJam72
05-09-2014, 07:43 AM
This is becoming the most unintentionally funny thread I've ever been a part of.

Yes this a revisit of 2012 draft grades.

We know that. Doesn't mean it can't turn into this year's too. Doesn't really matter to me.

LikeMike
05-09-2014, 07:58 AM
We know that. Doesn't mean it can't turn into this year's too. Doesn't really matter to me.

Let`s just start a new thread when the draft is finished... kinda easier to follow then. Plus I think it actually is interesting, if people want to change their vote after a couple of years.

Id give the 2012 years draft a B-, and that`s only because Im an optimist. You could argue, that no pick really worked out (still hopefull on Brooks, Jones, Mercilus and at least one of the WRs though).

HJam72
05-09-2014, 08:19 AM
Let`s just start a new thread when the draft is finished... kinda easier to follow then. Plus I think it actually is interesting, if people want to change their vote after a couple of years.

Id give the 2012 years draft a B-, and that`s only because Im an optimist. You could argue, that no pick really worked out (still hopefull on Brooks, Jones, Mercilus and at least one of the WRs though).

Probly a good idea. Hard to keep things organized right now.

phantom17
05-09-2014, 08:29 AM
The Texans are WINNERS for taking JClowney! I think he has all the tools including that quick burst for a man his size. OB, Romeo, & JJ Watt should hopefully have a great influence over him! This is like when Wade was given Watt as a present to improve the D! Now Romeo has one from Uncle Bob.:swatter: