PDA

View Full Version : 3rd round Brandon Brooks, G,

DerekLee1
04-27-2012, 10:00 PM
STRENGTHS Brooks possesses a massive wide body that is not at all sloppy; just a naturally big man. Is more agile than expected, and is effective staying engaged down the line on moving pockets or zone runs. Defensive linemen will actually search for other blockers to engage rather than trying to take on Brooks. He's strong enough to hold back a defensive end with one hand while watch for another rusher with his other hand. Brooks has some ability to hit linebackers at the second level, and then it is tough for those players to shed him even if he's not in perfect position.

WEAKNESSES Brooks has only adequate quickness out of his stance, and it takes him time to get in his pass set from a three-point stance. NFL defensive linemen might be able to jump gaps or do a swim move by him. Brooks relies on his bulk and quicker defenders can fall off his blocks. Brooks also stands around too much if not engaged in a block, and commonly seen watching the play instead of finding a man to hit.

Playoffs
04-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Dan Shonka ‏ @Ourlads_Shonka Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
#BrandonBrooks, I tried to get him to the #Combine. Got him invited to the #Shrine game Gd pick #Houston

Good endorsement to have.

Gotta say I really like this pick!

rmartin65
04-27-2012, 10:02 PM
I love this pick. Earlier in the draft season I was a little hesitant about his size (and being projected in the second), but I really like the guy at this point in the draft. Day 1 starter IMO.

Fili
@NickScurfield
#Texans pick Miami (Ohio) G Brandon Brooks 76th overall in 3rd rd. Mike Mayock just called him a "massive, physical freak"

Wasn't invited to combine but ran a 4.98 40.

EllisUnit
i like the pick he is a really strong dude, will def help in the run game, passing game may be a liability with him, but hey Foster is our Ace.

CretorFrigg
04-27-2012, 10:04 PM
He's over 350 lbs. He might have to lose some weight.

Fili
04-27-2012, 10:04 PM

Runs a 4.98 40 though. Seems good enough.

Thorn
04-27-2012, 10:06 PM
I like this pick more than the one before it.

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Hmmm, does seem a bit large for our scheme....?

GuerillaBlack
04-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Love the pick. Now change the thread title. This dude is a Texans.

Corrosion
04-27-2012, 10:09 PM

Think of all those short yardage situations where they failed to convert .... :kitten:

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Think of all those short yardage situations where they failed to convert .... :kitten:

Duh - then we just have the halfback throw the.... Oh, never mind.

NitroGSXR
04-27-2012, 10:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiUcbhE8fTQ&feature=related

Kid looks to have poor footwork and balance but his strength more than well makes up for it. 349 lbs of muscle. This kid ain't fat.

Vinny
04-27-2012, 10:13 PM
he looks pretty lean for a man that size if you watch him pancake a scout...he hates scouts!

Kid looks to have poor footwork and balance but his strength more than well makes up for it. 349 lbs of muscle. This kid ain't fat.

CloakNNNdagger
04-27-2012, 10:24 PM

In that clip, he looks like he was running with ca ca in his shorts.:)

Corrosion
04-27-2012, 10:27 PM
I wonder if he can play both OG and OT? Definately has the size to play on the edge .... Dont know a whole lot about this guy.

Playoffs
04-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Is that a medical opinion???

Diagnosis: pantalones poopitus?

I wonder if he can play both OG and OT? Definately has the size to play on the edge .... Dont know a whole lot about this guy.
Yes: #Texans 3rd-rd pick Brandon Brooks started 41 games at Miami (OH)- 15 at LG, 14 at LT, 12 at RG

dc_txtech
04-27-2012, 10:29 PM
If Kubiak is right about this kid having the feet to play guard in a zone blocking scheme, he has the potential to be very very good.

And nobody likes scouts, gotta show that nasty streak. Loved this comment from the youtube clip.

Sweet he trucked a 150 pound white guy. Impressive for a 340 pound guard

WolverineFan
04-27-2012, 10:30 PM

Definitely an interior guy but he'll be a starter quite soon. Wouldn't be surprised to see him supplant Wade Smith in '13.

Corrosion
04-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Duh - then we just have the halfback throw the.... Oh, never mind.

:spit:

Yes: #Texans 3rd-rd pick Brandon Brooks started 41 games at Miami (OH)- 15 at LG, 14 at LT, 12 at RG

Just what I asked for in another thread ..... Thanks for the info.

As for what I'd like to see today , Give me a guy who can swing between OG/T , one of the following - DE , CB , WR.

Lucky
04-27-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm getting a Charles Spencer vibe about Brooks. Pre-injury, of course. Many thought Spencer was too large for the Texans ZBS. But he stepped right in and started as a rookie. Until the Dayne Train ended his career.

JimBaker488
04-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Everything about this guy shouts man or power blocking scheme, not a ZBS, even though he's not without athleticism ?

phantom17
04-27-2012, 10:58 PM
I really like this pick! The Texans finally have a "HOG" in their ZBS! I would not be surprised if he becomes a starter sooner than later! Grade A! :bravo:

badboy
04-27-2012, 11:06 PM
I love this pick. Earlier in the draft season I was a little hesitant about his size (and being projected in the second), but I really like the guy at this point in the draft. Day 1 starter IMO.Yeah, I remember bringing him up during our discussion for our combine mock and you were not too high on him. Good to know you are down with him. I think a conditioning program will help him. IIRC, we drafted a huge OL like him once before that got injured early. Our ZBS has changed a bit since Spencer was drafted in 3rd for LT but still pretty heavy dude.

Playoffs
04-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Doesn't look 350lbs to me ..... where's the fat???

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/168/706/brandon-brooks_display_image.jpg?1335391476

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/334/570/bbmo_original.jpg?1329231394

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/118/966/BrandonBrooksMiamiOH_display_image.png?1334095825

http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/uploads/5/6/9/8/5698103/970188305.jpg?594

Kaiser Toro
04-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Massive physical freak

badboy
04-27-2012, 11:11 PM
I wonder if he can play both OG and OT? Definately has the size to play on the edge .... Dont know a whole lot about this guy.speed rushers on either side will give him hard time at tackles. He should be an OG. In an NFL season he should lose 10 - 15lbs and that should benefit him.

Corrosion
04-27-2012, 11:24 PM
speed rushers on either side will give him hard time at tackles. He should be an OG. In an NFL season he should lose 10 - 15lbs and that should benefit him.

That thought was just for depth purposes .... Having a guy with versatility to play both spots can pay huge dividends during a season.

Looking at the OL , they have only Myers at C tho Caldwell can slide over as well as only Caldwell , Wade Smith and Thomas Austin at OG .... prior to this pick of course.

(Is C - Cody Wallace still on the roster?)

CloakNNNdagger
04-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Doesn't look 350lbs to me ..... where's the fat???

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/168/706/brandon-brooks_display_image.jpg?1335391476

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/334/570/bbmo_original.jpg?1329231394

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/118/966/BrandonBrooksMiamiOH_display_image.png?1334095825

http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/uploads/5/6/9/8/5698103/970188305.jpg?594

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/mioh/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/7511136.jpeg

Norg
04-27-2012, 11:26 PM
I dont like the pick heck we a 4 guards on our depth right now ..... ????

now he makes 5

i guess they dont care that we only have like 3 tackles on our team

steelbtexan
04-27-2012, 11:31 PM

This is my guy. He was my 2nd rated OT/OG he played OT at MIa. Ohio. He's a beast. Brooks had one of the best splits. He is strong as an ox 36 reps and altough he weighs 346 LBS he can get get to the 2nd level. He does need to play with better leverage.

Great pick

Posey not so much

Playoffs
04-27-2012, 11:48 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/mioh/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/7511136.jpegI'll see you're topless flat belly Brooks,

And raise you a topless Andre Smith, Bengals, drafted 6th overall:

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu223/Pitbull1647/andre-smith.jpg

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2012, 11:50 PM
I'll see you're topless flat belly Brooks,

NEG REP!

Oh, GAWD, I didn't need to see that again.

CloakNNNdagger
04-27-2012, 11:54 PM
I'll see you're topless flat belly Brooks,

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu223/Pitbull1647/andre-smith.jpg

Give him my card.........I can reduce his breasts and with a few additional touches tranform him into a size 2 petite before the season opener.:)

Playoffs
04-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Give him my card.........I can reduce his breasts and with a few additional touches tranform him into a size 2 petite before the season opener.:)Okay, okay, Uncle!!! :lol:

Repped.

SW H-TOWN
04-28-2012, 12:25 AM

That's hilarious Doc, I got to watch the clip. Does anybody know if we are going to put this guy in at G or T? Any links? Just asking because everybody had Spencer listed as a G in 06 and we plugged him into LT.

Rey
04-28-2012, 12:28 AM
This is my favorite pick so far. I can't find a lot of film on him but what I've seen I love. I really like his measureables too.

He might be able to play tackle for us, but I like him at guard.

kiwitexansfan
04-28-2012, 12:30 AM
That's hilarious Doc, I got to watch the clip. Does anybody know if we are going to put this guy in at G or T? Any links? Just asking because everybody had Spencer listed as a G in 06 and we plugged him into LT.

Have to wait for the presser.

Given his athleticism and size he could play either eventually.

aussie_texan
04-28-2012, 12:30 AM
This is my favorite pick so far. I can't find a lot of film on him but what I've seen I love. I really like his measureables too.

He might be able to play tackle for us, but I like him at guard.

“No, he’ll be inside. We’ll start him inside and put him in with the rest of our guys and see how it works. We’ve lost Eric (Winston), we’ve lost Mike (Brisiel), so we have a couple of spots in there. We’ll move around and see what happens. The best five will play.”

Rick Dennison on brooks

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Offensive-coordinator-Rick-Dennison/696d755b-f8ba-400f-862b-c1f6171f81d7

kiwitexansfan
04-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Totally sold on this pick.

aussie_texan
04-28-2012, 12:34 AM
Also i have to say i love this pick.
He probably starts day 1 either for caldwell or smith and he gives us a nice body for foster to run through.
definitely doesn't look like a 340 pounder. looks like he has a lot of power through his legs

GP
04-28-2012, 12:38 AM
“No, he’ll be inside. We’ll start him inside and put him in with the rest of our guys and see how it works. We’ve lost Eric (Winston), we’ve lost Mike (Brisiel), so we have a couple of spots in there. We’ll move around and see what happens. The best five will play.”

Rick Dennison on brooks

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Offensive-coordinator-Rick-Dennison/696d755b-f8ba-400f-862b-c1f6171f81d7

Verrrry interesting. Good find, aussie_texan!

So his destination is to play G and just bulldoze people. My only concerns can he pull-and-locate in enough time? His downside is that he takes time getting out of the blocks at the snap. That can be hard if he's pulling on a run play.

But anything that needs to go to the right side? He's going to maul anybody on that right side and make them pay dearly for taking him on.

EDIT: I guess it's totally possible he plays LG, too. Can be emergency LT too.

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2012, 12:55 AM

In the presser, Dennison said G.

ChampionTexan
04-28-2012, 01:09 AM
I dont like the pick heck we a 4 guards on our depth right now ..... ????

now he makes 5

i guess they dont care that we only have like 3 tackles on our team

Actually, we had 5, but three of them are Shelley Smith, Thomas Austin, and Andrew Gardner who have a cumulative zero starts and six games active among them, so it's kind of like we only had 2.

Rey
04-28-2012, 01:25 AM
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1151379-brandon-brooks-to-texans-video-highlights-scouting-report-and-analysis

Check out the link and look at some of his measureables. 4 year starter as well.

Pumped about this guy and what he's going to mean to our running game. This completely makes up for not grabbing zeitler. Although both pf them would have been awesome.

Caldwell and smith better be on notice. He's going to push for a starting spot.

76Texan
04-28-2012, 02:36 AM
I've got 6 games on him, including the Mizzou game this year; just need the time.

mussop
04-28-2012, 03:07 AM
speed rushers on either side will give him hard time at tackles. He should be an OG. In an NFL season he should lose 10 - 15lbs and that should benefit him.

May I ask how you came to this conclusion?

Quick II Draw
04-28-2012, 04:23 AM
This guy will be something special. His physical tools are as good as Carl Nicks / Jahri Evans. The knock on him is that he isn't an obviously mean-spirited blocker, but neither are the best OL in this game (see Jonathan Ogden, Walter Jones, etc.). I really think we will look back on this pick in a few years as a stroke of genius.

Goldensilence
04-28-2012, 05:26 AM
Dude, that kid a the leanest 350 I have ever seen. What a freak, in a good way. Much more impressed with this pick. Looks like he can push either G from day one.

Corrosion
04-28-2012, 06:22 AM

The report on him is that he can be slow out of his stance .... losing a little weight could help some guy's with that issue but considering how lean this guy is at that weight .... I dont think it would have much effect.

ObsiWan
04-28-2012, 06:25 AM
Dude, that kid a the leanest 350 I have ever seen. What a freak, in a good way. Much more impressed with this pick. Looks like he can push either G from day one.

hmmm...
massive, strong, fairly fast....
do ya think that Wade can teach him to play NT??
:thinking:

...Hey I'm just askin' okay....

rmartin65
04-28-2012, 09:22 AM
I'll say it again- Day 1 starter at one of the OG spots. He is going to be fun to watch.

Kaiser Toro
04-28-2012, 09:27 AM

You're doing it wrong. In the words of St. Mayock, "he's a massive physical freak."

NitroGSXR
04-28-2012, 09:50 AM
hmmm...

I think it's a fair question. I'm really not liking that footwork of his from the scout video. It somewhat seemed like he wasn't even really into the whole routine until the time came to engage his guy. I'm afraid that he's slow, lanky, clumsy but... gawd... he can move fast and push once in a straight line! NT sounds like the perfect position for him.

I haven't seen any gameday college videos of his. If anybody sees some... post 'em up.

TheRealJoker
04-28-2012, 09:53 AM
This guy has big time potential in our system. I think the vision of Foster will cover up any pulling deficiencies he has until he gets comfortable doing things the coaches ask him to do. I know where we're running short yardage now!

chicagotexan2
04-28-2012, 09:56 AM
I like this pick more than the one before it.

Me too I'm sure he'll lose a few lbs during camp. Hell if anything else I think athletic enough to plow the road for foster at the goal line as an fb.

Joe Texan
04-28-2012, 09:58 AM
I just kissed my mom, this is a dream pinch me pinch me

IDEXAN
04-28-2012, 10:01 AM
The report on him is that he can be slow out of his stance .... losing a little weight could help some guy's with that issue but considering how lean this guy is at that weight .... I dont think it would have much effect.
And I read someplace that he ballooned to 370 once, so this guy is a dubious choice in a system that is primarily zone-blocking in terms of Oline schemes because it utilizes relatively nimble lineman who can move well laterally as well as get into the second-level. I don't know, perhaps it indicates a shift away from the ZBS by the Texans to a more power-oriented offensive line philosophy for its rushing game ?

Lucky
04-28-2012, 10:50 AM
I just kissed my mom, this is a dream pinch me pinch me
Pinch me once, shame on me. Pinch me twice...won't get pinched again.

GuerillaBlack
04-28-2012, 10:54 AM
And I read someplace that he ballooned to 370 once, so this guy is a dubious choice in a system that is primarily zone-blocking in terms of Oline schemes because it utilizes relatively nimble lineman who can move well laterally as well as get into the second-level. I don't know, perhaps it indicates a shift away from the ZBS by the Texans to a more power-oriented offensive line philosophy for its rushing game ?

No, I think it just means the Texans lucked into getting a big guard who can move like a nimble linemen (for the most part). Plus, he is strong as hell. I read that he was straight manhandling defensive linemen. Who take any linemen who is doing that.

Porky
04-28-2012, 11:11 AM
I wasn't that familiar with this guy, but man his measurables for a man of that size are unreal. 4.52 short shuttle at 350 lbs? That beat all lineman in Indy. Wow, just wow. Having not ever seen him play, I can't offer a true opinion yet, but it looks like we might have a massive road grader who can also move like a ZBS lineman must.

I don't think Wade Smith is supplanted any time soon but that new RG of ours might not have slept too good last night.

Since I know little about the man coming in, I can't really grade the pick totally, but the thinking on this one is an A+ to me. Massive mountain man road grader at a need position. Great job Smithiak!

Brisco_County
04-28-2012, 11:17 AM
This guy is the ideal solution for the problems with ZBS in the red zone. He can switch from zone to power to punch it in. I love the pick.

TimeKiller
04-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Myers now has an enforcer on his side. Brisiel might've been a tough son of a gun but this guy looks like a beast mode waiting to happen. He can soak up big 3-4 NTs while Myers runs up to the LBer, freeing Foster.

IDK about day 1 but this guy sure has a shot to be a difference maker.

kiwitexansfan
04-29-2012, 03:16 AM
This guy is the ideal solution for the problems with ZBS in the red zone. He can switch from zone to power to punch it in. I love the pick.

Will be interesting if we get to the point where Brooks and Mondek are lined up with each other and get pulling with their size and speed.

Rey
04-29-2012, 04:21 AM

No, not IMO. I don't listen to the stuff about kubiak wanting certain sized players. He's like every head coach. Talent is talent. If you're talented enough to play, you'll play.

IDEXAN
04-29-2012, 11:09 AM
For the Texans to invest a 3rd and 4th round pick on their offensive line, especially the interior, is like most teams investing a 1st and 2nd rounder.
They are dead serious about sustaining the quality and level of performance of the Oline, and I'm looking forward to see how the competition progresses thru TC and preseason and who emerges as the starters and OLine roster members for the upcoming season.

kingh99
04-29-2012, 05:33 PM
If this guy lines on Meyers right, he will be what TimeKiller wrote, Meyers enforcer. Nice to have one of those. Someone to point to and look at someone acting squirrelly on the other side, or hell it could be your side, and shake your head as if to say you don't want me to activate this.

Playoffs
04-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Four-year starter with long arms and big hands for the position. Demonstrates quick feet and a solid punch. Good agility in space. The big guy was not invited to the Combine, so the Shrine East/West game and practices gave him a chance to showcase his talent. He passed the eyeball test and built on his impressive size during the week with consistent practices. -- Dan Shonka/Ourlads.com who had Brooks ranked #60

Lucky
04-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Hey, Mike Lombardi. Are the Texans still a finesse team?

Goldensilence
04-29-2012, 07:48 PM
hmmm...

Tongue in cheek I know, but why would you try nonetheless? It'd be different if Cody was just outright terrible last year or the DL struggled.

badboy
04-29-2012, 07:57 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/mioh/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/7511136.jpegIn the bottom picture you can clearly see he is holding his breath. Seriously thanks for posting as I had thought he was flabby but is not.

badboy
04-29-2012, 08:31 PM

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1620308/brandon-brooks
He lacks the range and overall movement skills to be anything more than a short-area blocker and his on-field temperament leaves a lot to be desired. Brooks has the size and strength, but is still rough around the edges and is not yet a finished product ? a developmental guard prospect with definite pro upside who will need a strong positional coach in the NFL, but should fit somewhere in the top-125 picks.

Weaknesses: Has some bad weight (*my comment in parentheses as I think this slows him against speed rushers.)

looking sluggish with heavy feet when trying to cover a lot of ground. Doesn?t have great range Heavy-handed in pass protection with a bad habit of grabbing, which attracts holding penalties.

badboy
04-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Hope he does start but before we just give it to hi, let's see if Wade had an off season or was he possibly hurt? Also, CND has posted Caldwell had ankle sprain that then effect other leg when he continued to play on it. Boith may come back much better than last season. Just saying.....

Goldensilence
04-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Hope he does start but before we just give it to hi, let's see if Wade had an off season or was he possibly hurt? Also, CND has posted Caldwell had ankle sprain that then effect other leg when he continued to play on it. Boith may come back much better than last season. Just saying.....

I think he can and will push both, but from all reports I've heard of, Caldwell is going to be given every chance to start at RG and same with Wade at LG.

ObsiWan
04-29-2012, 09:11 PM
From ESPN Insider (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27997/brandon-brooks).....
(1 - Excellent; 2 - Above Avg.; 3 - Avg.; 4 - Below Avg.; 5 - Marginal)

Pass Protection - 3:
Matches up well with power rushers even though he sets too high. Wide base, relatively low center of gravity and thick lower body. Gets adequate hand placement and locks out but should have some problems keeping quicker interior rushers out of the backfield. Average initial quickness and doesn't deliver a violent initial punch. Above-average balance and can redirect once locked on but not agile enough to recover if oversets to the outside and defensive tackle shoots inside.

Run Blocking - 1:
Footwork is inconsistent when drive blocking. Can catch defender before taking first step. Limited athlete and some problems changing directions in space. On the other hand, an effective zone blocker that can seal front side three-techniques, cut off backside one-techniques and work up to the second level. Though doesn't roll hips into blocks flashes the ability to move defenders off the ball. Relatively low center of gravity makes it easier for him to get under defenders and drives legs once locked on. Masks limited athletic ability by taking sound angles to second level blocks. Pivots well and shows adequate range when asked to pull.

Awareness - 3:
Picks up blitzes more times than not but missed several gap calls in the 2011 Western Michigan game. Turns to locate backside pressure when no one comes to him in slide protection. Keeps eyes up and locates linebackers when asked to combo block up to the second level.

Toughness - 3:
Finishes blocks. Flashes a mean streak and doesn't back down but doesn't show enough of a killer instinct to be considered a mauler. Appears to gear down at times and weight and frame raises concerns about conditioning.

I apologize if this is a re-post...

badboy
04-29-2012, 09:31 PM
I think he can and will push both, but from all reports I've heard of, Caldwell is going to be given every chance to start at RG and same with Wade at LG.agreed, if a 4th rounder can push the starter at any position it was a good pick. I'm thinking he can replace Smith at end of his contract 2013 I think.

I am also looking for Ben Jones and Fangupo to push the starters. If Dwight Jones can be starightened out he could be a solid player. His games were solid until the end and he seemed to go stupid at combine.

A Little of AJ could help him.

Wolf
04-30-2012, 09:28 PM
posted this on the Posey thread also

Dennison on Texans third rounders (5:19)
Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison shared his thoughts on the team's third round selections, in guard Brandon Brooks and receiver DeVier Posey.
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Micd-Up-Mercilus-Arrives-in-Houston/0c0107dd-5db8-47fb-8e92-3dadd235d3d9#?id=1101ab31-06ba-4532-a6dc-9c7af9968aed

Brandon will stay inside, even though he played tackle also
most of Brandons weight is in his lower body, and he runs a sub 5.5(which they ask the guys to do )

SteveSlaton20
05-01-2012, 02:45 AM
350 LBs and runs a sub 5 40...that's unbelievable.

i cannot wait for this season to start, this dude is going to be exciting to watch.

and kinda off topic, but i think it'd be awesome if we used him as FB on goal line... who the hell is going to get through him?

Wolf6151
05-01-2012, 03:10 AM
agreed, if a 4th rounder can push the starter at any position it was a good pick. I'm thinking he can replace Smith at end of his contract 2013 I think.

I am also looking for Ben Jones and Fangupo to push the starters. If Dwight Jones can be starightened out he could be a solid player. His games were solid until the end and he seemed to go stupid at combine.

A Little of AJ could help him.

Agree with everything you said here BB. Brooks should push both Smith and Caldwell for some starting time and Ben Jones just vastly improved our interior O-line depth at C and OG. Fangupo may take a year on the practice squad but I really look forward to seeing him in some short yardage/goal line stands. Also if Jones can get his head on straight he's got the physical tools to be great, he sounds like a kid that just needs to be put in his place and grow up. Once he gets his head on right he might be our next Foster from UDFA list.

Blake
05-08-2012, 09:01 AM
I cant wait to see this guy in action. I dont care what size he is as long as he has the speed to quickly get where we tell him to go. And he does.

http://nflmocks.com/files/2012/04/5917194.jpg

76Texan
05-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Brandon Brooks video:

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/nfldraft/Linemen/29070976#nfldraft/Linemen/29070976

1st team was Mizzou with a couple of DTs signed as UDFA (Hamilton to the Raiders and Resonno to the Vikings).
Brooks played RG in this game

2nd team was UK in 2009 (when Brooks played LT as a Soph).

#91 (whom Brooks took on a couple of time in that video clip) was Corey Peters (a Senior and a 3rd round pick by the Falcons - he started 15 games as a rookie and ended up the year with 31 solos and 9 assists per team page - different numbers from nfl.com, which shows 25 and 8).
Also, he started all 15 games he played in 2011.

#55 was Dequin Evans, an UDFA OLB who was on the Bengals PS in 2011 (he fits right in with them - from juvenile detention to a 4-game suspension due to PED).

Brooks showed excellent quickness for such a big man.

GP
05-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Brandon Brooks video:

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/nfldraft/Linemen/29070976#nfldraft/Linemen/29070976

1st team was Mizzou with a couple of DTs signed as UDFA (Hamilton to the Raiders and Resonno to the Vikings).
Brooks played RG in this game

2nd team was UK in 2009 (when Brooks played LT as a Soph).

#91 (whom Brooks took on a couple of time in that video clip) was Corey Peters (a Senior and a 3rd round pick by the Falcons - he started 15 games as a rookie and ended up the year with 31 solos and 9 assists per team page - different numbers from nfl.com, which shows 25 and 8).
Also, he started all 15 games he played in 2011.

#55 was Dequin Evans, an UDFA OLB who was on the Bengals PS in 2011 (he fits right in with them - from juvenile detention to a 4-game suspension due to PED).

Brooks showed excellent quickness for such a big man.

Dude is legit. Great use of his hands, quicker in those clips than the clips shown on draft day by NFLN. He was playing LT some too.

He looks good at Guard or Tackle. If he dominates in camp and gets some quality reps in preseason, he could easily challenge for starter. 2nd string depth at worst. Caldwell has his work cut out for him because Brooks could earn RG by what I see and hear about him.

But will Kubiak tend to go with vets and keep the rooks reserved?

Honoring Earl 34
05-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Dude is legit. Great use of his hands, quicker in those clips than the clips shown on draft day by NFLN. He was playing LT some too.

He looks good at Guard or Tackle. If he dominates in camp and gets some quality reps in preseason, he could easily challenge for starter. 2nd string depth at worst. Caldwell has his work cut out for him because Brooks could earn RG by what I see and hear about him.

But will Kubiak tend to go with vets and keep the rooks reserved?

I think he's got the perfect RB who is patient and has vision . The guards have always been lighter and quick and this dude is huge , quick , and strong . He won't have to chop to put you on the ground and he can keep going .

76Texan
05-18-2012, 01:50 PM
The more and more I watched Brandon Brooks, the more and more I'm impressed.

I've watched 5 full games so far and a ton of video clips.

One of the series you can watch if you have time is the ESPN highlights.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/193/year/2011/miami-oh-redhawks

They have video clips for about 9 or 10 games.

Also, you can google the two leading receivers' names: Nick Harwell and Chris Givens for some more game tapes.
Remember that in 2010 he played LT and in 2011 he played RG.

I also watched highlights from the opponents defense (team and/or individual - like Derek Wolfe, Cincy Bearcats).

What I look for is how he did in different situations.

1. The Redhawks allowed 3.92 sacks per game.
The only two times I saw Brooks involved in a sack (in some 9-10 games) were when the QB had to move and basically "ran into the sack".
What I saw is a 6'5 guy that plays with good pad level.
He has much quicker footwork than one tends to think.

2. He did his job on each of the run shown (short yardage - TD), just as one would like to see.

3. I hardly saw any pressure given up by Brooks.
Yes, he failed to pick up a blitz once in a long while; however, we don't know for sure what the protection call was. Besides, it's about scheme and not ability.
We also want to note that the protection scheme often calls for a G to help the C as a direct path to the inside is usually more dangerous than an OT getting beat.

4. Brooks is quick enough to cut block effectively (see the Western Michigan game - if you don't have time to watch a lot of film.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkd3toFM94Y

5. I saw more demonstrations of his quickness on pulls and second level blocks.
(Better than what I saw with Caldwell in his Senior year as the Center for the Tides.)

6. His long arms (34") were definite assets when guys get a jump on him; he was usually quick enough to recover and redirect the defender with his arms as much as possible.

7. In the East-West Shrine game, Brooks played very well (as he did the whole week of practice.)
He played LG (his third position).
He went against 3 UDFAs signees and a 4th round pick.
He dominated them for the most part.
The only guy that gave him a battle was Nicolas Jean-Baptiste.
The reason: NJB is nearly 4" shorter and therefore has the built-in advantage of leverage.
NJB didn't do any harm though.

badboy
05-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Would you consider Brooks at LG and move Smith to RG?

76Texan
05-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Overall, I think Brooks will definitely challenge for a starting spot.
I don't know when or whether it will happen, but Caldwell and Smith need to play well to earn their keep.
It will bode well for the offense either way.
I feel much better about the O-line now than I did when we learned that both Winston and Briesel were gone. :cow:

76Texan
05-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Would you consider Brooks at LG and move Smith to RG?

I think the running game would be better with Brooks at RG because of the overall scheme. (Don't have time to go into all the details, but maybe Rey can give us a little insight.)

76Texan
05-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Also, Brooks played for 3 different OCs and he had seen many different blocking schemes, including the gap scheme and the zone blocking scheme.

In the Shrine game, Brad Childress (ex-Vikings coach who is now with the Browns) installed some of each, and Brooks did well in them all.

One of the things I like is how powerful he can hold up a defender with one arm while waiting for the second guy to take over.

I just can't wait to see what he can do with the Texans. :splits:

The Pencil Neck
05-18-2012, 02:36 PM
76? Have you taken any time to take a look at Ben Jones, yet?

76Texan
05-21-2012, 01:15 PM
76? Have you taken any time to take a look at Ben Jones, yet?

I'm finally done with 12 games, including the Senior Bowl.
With a day off today, I should have a report on him shortly.

The Pencil Neck
05-21-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm finally done with 12 games, including the Senior Bowl.
With a day off today, I should have a report on him shortly.

Excellent. Can't wait to hear what you saw.

pec0sb0b
05-22-2012, 07:59 PM
(on if G Brandon Brooks could push G Antoine Caldwell for the starting right guard spot) “No doubt, I think it’s going to be very competitive. I think he even has some possibility to play outside but we’ll leave him inside for right now.”

Sounds like Kubiak intends to try Brooks at tackle at some point.

Rey
05-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Sounds like Kubiak intends to try Brooks at tackle at some point.

Interesting that kubiak is being so open about the competition at RG. That's a pretty matter of fact statement.

GP
05-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Brooks at RG just makes Myers (Center) and Butler (RT) that much better.

I don't think Brooks will handle NFL edge rushers very well, so RG is the safer bet for Brooks. Sandwich him in between Myers and Butler and he'll consume interior DL and any gap busting LB.

The Pencil Neck
05-23-2012, 12:33 AM
Chron Article on Brooks. (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/05/texans-otas-update-on-rookie-nose-tackles-knee-injury/)

A major plus for Brooks is his versatility. He made double-digit starts at both guard spots and left tackle in college. Moving around like that gave him a good feel for how the line works. It also helps that he’s a student of the game. If there’s such a thing as a football geek, it’s Brooks. He rented an apartment three minutes from Reliant Stadium so he can drop in any time.

Working weekends

“This is my full-time job now,” he said. “Coming in on Saturdays and Sundays is no big deal. I love football. To get an extra hour or two (of film study) that will help me out here, it’s definitely worth it in my book.”

:doot::bravo::texanbill:

aussie_texan
05-23-2012, 03:28 AM
Chron Article on Brooks. (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/05/texans-otas-update-on-rookie-nose-tackles-knee-injury/)

:doot::bravo::texanbill:

can't wait for this mammoth of a man pancake the living daylights out of opposition DTs

Rey
05-23-2012, 08:55 AM
3 minutes from Reliant?

I hope he's in a safe area....

HOU-TEX
05-23-2012, 10:07 AM
The way Caldwell's played the past couple years is not good enough imo. If Brooks learns and plays as advertised, then I'd expect him to win the job easily. Unless, of course, Caldwell can rise to the challenge. Which I doubt considering he's been unable to unseat Brisiel in the past.

I still have a good feeling on Butler if he can stay healthy. To me, that RG spot is the weakest link, by far.

Rey
05-23-2012, 10:09 AM
I think the competition is going to be fierce. Caldwell is no slouch.

Section516
05-23-2012, 10:52 AM
3 minutes from Reliant?

Hey! I love three minutes from reliant! Isn't bad at all..Just don't go to some areas!

:worldpeace:

The Pencil Neck
05-23-2012, 11:15 AM
3 minutes from Reliant?

ALL areas are safe areas around Brandon Brooks. :worldpeace:

The Pencil Neck
05-23-2012, 11:20 AM
The way Caldwell's played the past couple years is not good enough imo. If Brooks learns and plays as advertised, then I'd expect him to win the job easily. Unless, of course, Caldwell can rise to the challenge. Which I doubt considering he's been unable to unseat Brisiel in the past.

I still have a good feeling on Butler if he can stay healthy. To me, that RG spot is the weakest link, by far.

When Brisiel went out last year, it killed us. Caldwell just wasn't up to the challenge. BUT... it came out that Caldwell was playing on two bum ankles at the time.

Kubes alluded to that in one of his interviews.

I think we've got 4 players duking it out for 2 spots on that right side. Right now, the jobs are Butlers and Caldwell's to lose but I think they're going to be seriously pushed by Brooks and Newton.

I think Newton's development (along with Butler's steady play) was why they felt comfortable with letting Winston go.

But I think Brooks could push for RG OR RT. I hope he turns into one of the steals of this draft. I'm really excited to see his development.

HOU-TEX
05-23-2012, 11:24 AM
When Brisiel went out last year, it killed us. Caldwell just wasn't up to the challenge. BUT... it came out that Caldwell was playing on two bum ankles at the time.

Kubes alluded to that in one of his interviews.

I think we've got 4 players duking it out for 2 spots on that right side. Right now, the jobs are Butlers and Caldwell's to lose but I think they're going to be seriously pushed by Brooks and Newton.

I think Newton's development (along with Butler's steady play) was why they felt comfortable with letting Winston go.

But I think Brooks could push for RG OR RT. I hope he turns into one of the steals of this draft. I'm really excited to see his development.

I reckon you might be right about Caldwell's wheels. We'll see. Agreed on all points. Good post PN

pirbroke
05-23-2012, 12:00 PM
it's just hard to tell with Caldwell right now, we are going to just have to wait untill preseason and see how they do. Remember how bad Myers looked playing on his ankle sprain a couple of years ago and we were all screaming for a replacement. Nobody is screaming now, Hopefully Caldwell has the same rebound.

Playoffs
05-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Are we really considering starting a right side named Gump (RG Antoine Caldwell) and But (RT Rashad Butler)???

C'mon, Brooks!

thunderkyss
06-19-2012, 08:01 PM
it's just hard to tell with Caldwell right now, we are going to just have to wait untill preseason and see how they do. Remember how bad Myers looked playing on his ankle sprain a couple of years ago and we were all screaming for a replacement. Nobody is screaming now, Hopefully Caldwell has the same rebound.

I'm pretty sure what Kubiak is looking at (Kubiak & Dennison I guess) is totally different from what we'd be looking at. I remember when they picked up Wade & he looked awful to most of us (if I remember right).

Kubiak was pretty confident about starting him at LG & he played like a beast that season. You'd have never known going by that preseason.