PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Round DeVier Posey WR Ohio State

Pages : [1] 2 3

TexansFanatic
04-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Dude hardly even played last year after taking part in the scandal that took down Ohio State's program.

Uncle Bob? I thought the Texans only took squeaky clean boys....

Thoughts on this pick?

Playoffs
04-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Smooth route runner with some burst, exaggeration at top of routes. Lacks run after catch ability, dips shoulder into contact, but once momentum is stopped won't gain many yards. Can get really lazy on his movements, read and glide them off. Thin frame, high posture on initial stem without much initial burst. Reliable catcher over the shoulder, consistent. QB shouldn't put confidence in him to win contested catches.

CorpusTexan
04-27-2012, 09:37 PM
confused.

ArlingtonTexan
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=35938

Dutchrudder
I think he will challenge Maehl for the #4 WR spot.

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2012, 09:38 PM
He was a part of the Tattoo scandal, so who cares.

He is a solid receiver. Doesn't get a lot of separation but has GREAT hands, kinda' the opposite of Jacoby Jones.

From your resident Buckeye.

I just don't get why we traded back and think posey would have been there later....

Corrosion
04-27-2012, 09:39 PM
As far as WR goes later in the draft .... Remember the name DeVier Posey from Ohio St.

Im also high on DeVier Posey .... He has fantastic hands , great acceleration & change of direction. Tho not as big as some of the others at "only" 6'1" 210. I think he would fit well in the slot on this squad. I saw this guy doing some live drills and came away thoroughly impressed ....

:kitten:

Fili
Who??????

AnthonyE
I think he will challenge Maehl for the #4 WR spot.

So far this draft has been really confusing.

1st round pick spent on depth, and now our 2nd pick being spent on a potential #4? Yikes.

Rey
04-27-2012, 09:40 PM
confused.

Dissapointed.

ADTpaul
04-27-2012, 09:41 PM
2010 OSU

Catches 53 Yards 848 Average 16.0 TD 7

2009 OSU

Catches 60 Yards 828 Average 13.8 TD 8

Take a look at his sophomore and junior year. He was already productive player and probably produces even more numbers if he was playing his senior year.:strangle:

Playoffs
Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Posey good size and movement. Likely a possession WR in NFL although deceptive vertical speed with free access. 3rd rd picks have questions.

Bulls on Parade
Say hello to the next Jabar Gaffney. Sigh...

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2012, 09:42 PM
2010 OSU

Catches 53 Yards 848 Average 16.0 TD 7

2009 OSU

Catches 60 Yards 828 Average 13.8 TD 8

Take a look at his sophomore and junior year. He was already productive player and probably produces even more numbers if he was playing his senior year. :bravo:

And he didn't have a QB.

ATXtexanfan
04-27-2012, 09:42 PM
That just happened.

Say Watt
04-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Very disappointed. We had both Randle and Sanu for the taking in the 2nd. Two guys with very high ceilings but some low floors, and we trade back to get Posey?!?!?!? What?!?!?

cuppacoffee
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=35938

After reading this I am trying to understand what smithiak saw in him.

:coffee:

Fili
I guess he was a steal from the stats.

@NickScurfield Posey said he was suspended 5 games for selling a ring & 5 more for getting paid too much at a summer job

@NickScurfield DeVier Posey (6-2, 211) ran a 4.37 40. Had 113 rec for 1,676 yds from 2009-10. Missed 10 games in '11 (suspension)

@NickScurfield Posey on his suspension: "I've learned my lesson. It's made me a better man, a better person." #Texans

mariowillshine15
I like his potential. Was really good his sophomore and junior year.

Everyone who doesn't like it take a wait and see approach before you condemn it.

CretorFrigg
Very disappointed. We had both Randle and Sanu for the taking in the 2nd. Two guys with very high ceilings but some low floors, and we trade back to get Posey?!?!?!? What?!?!?

I'm going out on a limb here...but I think Rick Smith wanted Randle, but took a gamble. He traded back and was shocked to see Randle taken by the Giants, so we had to settle for Posey in the 3rd.

gtexan02
Who?

Bulls on Parade
04-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Posey has the size, speed and talent.

But a 10-year-old brain. Let's hope he is serious about being a great player.

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2012, 09:44 PM
I like his potential. Was really good his sophomore and junior year.

Everyone who doesn't like it take a wait and see approach before you condemn it.

THANK YOU.

But I do question the trading....

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2012, 09:45 PM

But a 10-year-old brain. Let's hope he is serious about being a great player.

Really? Really? Based on?

Vinny

But a 10-year-old brain. Let's hope he is serious about being a great player.Is this something in the Posey name? Million dollar body, ten cent brain? The question is, will he leave his playbook in his Escalade?

TexansBlood
Maybe he has "THE CHOSEN WR" tatted on his back.

Sucks we didnt get Randle and he was still available before we traded.

Playoffs
04-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Nick Scurfield ‏ @NickScurfield Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Devier Posey (@DPo8) on @johnson80: "He’s a hell of a player. I emulate the way he plays & the tenacity that he plays with."

Posey on his suspension: "I've learned my lesson. It's made me a better man, a better person." #Texans

Posey said he was suspended 5 games for selling a ring & 5 more for getting paid too much at a summer job

DeVier Posey (6-2, 211) ran a 4.37 40. Had 113 rec for 1,676 yds from 2009-10. Missed 10 games in '11 (suspension)

TdotTexas2Step
04-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Here's a prospect profile on him by NFL Network:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d82854301/2012-Draft-profile-WR-DeVier-Posey-Ohio-St

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2012, 09:47 PM
All I am saying is don't judge the player because you're pissed the FO traded down.

If you haven't seen him play you'll like him and we won't know what we have until the season starts.

And be happy the way he plays is anti-Jacoby.

Bulls on Parade
04-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Really? Really? Based on?
What I'm gathering from OSU fans on their board who watch every Buckeye game.

hot pickle
04-27-2012, 09:48 PM
love the pick!

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2012, 09:49 PM
What I'm gathering from OSU fans on their board who watch every Buckeye game.

I happen to be one of them and saw every game he played in, so.....

Judge him once you have seen him on the field. Yell at Rick Smith if you don't like trading back.

Fili
04-27-2012, 09:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwxZ7txyOlI

Great pick. I think it was good because he hardly played senior year and no one had seen him play since like 2 years ago...

Errant Hothy
04-27-2012, 09:51 PM
If drafting Posey allows the team to get rid of Jacoby than shouldn't that make the pick one of this board's most beloved picks of all time?

Rey
04-27-2012, 09:52 PM
I actually like this pick more than our first round pick.

sometexansfan
04-27-2012, 09:53 PM
I happen to be one of them and saw every game he played in, so.....

Judge him once you have seen him on the field. Yell at Rick Smith if you don't like trading back.

As a buckeye fan as well, I've seen him in plenty of games, and I liked what I saw.

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2012, 09:53 PM

Whoah, I bleed scarlet and grey but wouldn't go near that far :)

rmartin65
04-27-2012, 09:54 PM
I go to OSU, here are my thoughts-

I hate it. He is simply not a 3rd round caliber player. Drops catchable balls (although, admittedly, he can make the circus catch), average speed, average in and out of his cuts, and if what a friend says is true, he is a POS person. Not my opinion, just an opinion of a friend, I have never melt the man.

I just dont see the upside that other receivers have.

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2012, 09:54 PM

I hate it. He is simply not a 3rd round caliber player. Drops catchable balls (although, admittedly, he can make the circus catch), average speed, average in and out of his cuts, and if what a friend says is true, he is a POS person. Not my opinion, just an opinion of a friend, I have never melt the man.

I think his hands >>>> Jacoby

Corrosion
04-27-2012, 09:55 PM
I saw this kid do some drills in a private workout during the offseason .... I came away thoroughly impressed.

Dont frett Texan Fans .... this guy's got great hands , great route runner , above average speed and can make people miss in the open field. He might not have the size some of the others have but I think he's a very good fit for this team.

Doubling the outside guy's is going to be much more difficult for opposing defenses with him in the slot.

And to top it off .... Jacoby just got demoted.

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2012, 09:57 PM
And to top it off .... Jacoby just got demoted.

We'll see - I think Jacoby is faster and I am pretty sure Jacoby had nude photos or Smith and Kubes together. Jacoby can return, Posey can't.

rmartin65
I think his hands >>>> Jacoby

Well... yeah. So do numerous other receivers in the draft. Hell, so do numerous other people in America.

Pick is a D, maybe a C-. I like the position, but there are 10 other receivers I would rather have.

However, he is a Texan now. I hope I am wrong, and that Smithiak is right.

Rey
Whoah, I bleed scarlet and grey but wouldn't go near that far :)

No worries...I'm back to not liking the pick again.

Actually, I don't know what to think about this pick. I thought there were plenty of better WR's on board. CBS draft board has this guy as a 5-6 round guy.

He wasn't even on my radar as a top of the third round pick.

DBCooper
04-27-2012, 09:58 PM

And do you melt men often?

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2012, 09:59 PM

Actually, I don't know what to think about this pick. I thought there were plenty of better WR's on board. CBS draft board has this guy as a 5-6 round guy.

I do think we could have gotten him later. I am not familiar with the WR's left when we picked.

Corrosion
04-27-2012, 10:01 PM
We'll see - I think Jacoby is faster and I am pretty sure Jacoby had nude photos or Smith and Kubes together. Jacoby can return, Posey can't.

Per Schefter: Texans Looking to Trade Jacoby Jones (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91697)

:bravo:

beerlover
04-27-2012, 10:03 PM
not bpa. dissapointing. hope he has learned his lesson but hard to change someone in their 20's. Would much rather had Criner.

Thorn
04-27-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm not sure about this guy just yet.

PapaL
04-27-2012, 10:08 PM
I love the pick...if we traded Jacoby for a box of oodles of noodles. If Posey can catch, that's a plus.

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm going to have to see this guy on the field.

I want to like the pick but I'm just not sure about it.

rmartin65
04-27-2012, 10:11 PM
And do you melt men often?

Yep, it is a hobby of mine.

:)

texanfreak
04-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Idk looks pretty good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMoKu6hymWE&feature=fvwrel

Corrosion
04-27-2012, 10:17 PM

I had him as a 3rd to early 4th rounder ....

Im also high on DeVier Posey .... He has fantastic hands , great acceleration & change of direction. Tho not as big as some of the others at "only" 6'1" 210. I think he would fit well in the slot on this squad. I saw this guy doing some live drills and came away thoroughly impressed ....

Those two guy's would be my targets at the WR position in the 3rd to 4th rounds.

I think a the reason he wasnt so highly rated is the fact that he missed some time.

Of the bigger WR's , only Hill ran a faster 40 than his 4.37 and only two of the smaller guy's had faster times at the WR position.

His best attribute is his hands .... they are fantastic - the Anti-Jacoby.

Dont under-estimate this kid.

brakos82
I reserve judgement until Bjork tells me what to say.

Marcus

Wow! GP is just going to LOVE you. :D

CloakNNNdagger
I posted this in another thread........

NFL.com had this to say.

Overview

Posey is a savvy route runner who has overcome various obstacles during his time at Ohio State. He is athletic and understands how to run routes and get open. He can be counted on to secure the catch when he is not draped by a defender. Though suspended on two separate occasions for his role in NCAA violations involving boosters, Posey showed in his short opportunity during his senior year why he has third-round value in this year's draft.

Analysis

Strengths

Posey can struggle off the line but understands, for the most part, how to stem his routes to set up a defender and then use his suddenness to change directions. He can burst and stick his foot in the ground at the top of routes to gain separation. Except when going across the middle and facing a big hit, he is superb at adjusting his body once the ball is thrown to secure the catch. He is effective after the catch with the ball in his hands and can make a small move to get up field. He is a very polished as a route runner and overall receiver.

Weaknesses

Posey will get caught peeking at incoming safeties when going across the middle. He shows toughness when blocking, but not here. He sometimes will seem uninvolved in the physical aspect of the game or when the ball and play are not coming toward him.

Evidently great route runner. But this is what caught my eye......I hope not another JJ (in this respect) without the speed.

dc_txtech
04-27-2012, 10:20 PM

Great call.

msr

Edit: Sorry that should be quoting Corrosion calling the Posey pick and not a kitten. I'm just too lazy to fix it.

Mr teX
04-27-2012, 10:22 PM
im not gonna critcize the pick b/c i don't know who he is. But the little of what i've seen i see why they picked him. He's got the talent to push Walter down to the #3 spot (where he should be) and push Jacoby out the door. We could let Jean/Maehl and another later draft pick fight for the 4th spot.

He's also got enough production behind him from his sophmore and junior seasons to validate he's a legit prospect and likely would've went higher had he not got entangled in the tattoo scandal.

mariowillshine15
04-27-2012, 10:22 PM
I posted this in another thread........

NFL.com had this to say.

Evidently great route runner. But this is what caught my eye......I hope not another JJ (in this respect) without the speed.

That's the thing he has the speed.

Corrosion
04-27-2012, 10:24 PM

Nah , a 4.37 40 is like running in cement :lol:

ArlingtonTexan
04-27-2012, 10:26 PM
The issue with Posey is there is not much 2011 game tape on him. He is 6'2 210 running in the 4.4 range at the combine. He was also solidly productive as a soph/JR in non-passing offense. If he did the same thing in 2011 as before he is probably a clean 2nd rounder.

BattleRedRock
04-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Who??????

Im with you im like who? Wth? How do u trade back when Randle is
There??? Or Mo Sanu?? Nick Toon?? Its official fire Smith!!

rmartin65
04-27-2012, 10:27 PM

Track speed vs. football speed man. He was never flying by guys. Solid speed, average speed. But he will not stretch the field.

Carr Bombed
04-27-2012, 10:27 PM
I like this pick, people need to pull up his interview that he had with 610 before they pass judgment on this kid.

I think he's ready for redemption and I think when he comes to camp he's going to be ready to grind and ready to prove the naysayers wrong.

rmartin65
04-27-2012, 10:38 PM
I like this pick, people need to pull up his interview that he had with 610 before they pass judgment on this kid.

I think he's ready for redemption and I think when he comes to camp he's going to be ready to grind and ready to prove the naysayers wrong.

Of course he is going to say that.

"Well, you know, I'm getting paid. I might show up, play a little ball, who knows. But more importantly, I am getting paid. More tattoos!"- Something a guy will rarely say, especially a guy trying to endear himself to a new team.

Nawzer
04-27-2012, 10:44 PM
This guy put up good stats before he got suspended. He may not be a burner but we need someone who can reliably make catches over the middle of the field and move the chains.

kiwitexansfan
04-27-2012, 10:48 PM
This guy put up good stats before he got suspended. He may not be a burner but we need someone who can reliably make catches over the middle of the field and move the chains.

He has questionable hands, he is more of a vertical receiver from what I have read.

thunderkyss
04-27-2012, 10:50 PM

Great Job.

Let me go on record now saying I don't like this at all. Nothing against Posey, nothing at all. But we had Rueben Randall, or could have. We traded out of that spot & now we're taking Rueben.

In my defense, I just got home & looked through the draft tracker real quick. I don't know the details of the trade yet.

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2012, 10:52 PM
He has questionable hands, he is more of a vertical receiver from what I have read.

There's a lot of conflicting stuff on him. His hands look good to me. He may have issues with concentration.

MEGA SWATT
04-27-2012, 11:00 PM
cool.

Carr Bombed
04-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Of course he is going to say that.

"Well, you know, I'm getting paid. I might show up, play a little ball, who knows. But more importantly, I am getting paid. More tattoos!"- Something a guy will rarely say, especially a guy trying to endear himself to a new team.

It must really suck to go through life being that cynical. The kid was very sincere and humbled, but none of that even matters, because...

it was reported that the Texans sent out scouts to investigate his story... his story checks out and he wasn't lying, which is the reason why they took a chance on him. They did their homework, investigated him, and his story checked out. Hence the main reason why he'll be wearing a Texans' jersey next season.

And the funniest thing about your quotations is how you try to paint the guy as someone who might show up to play ball or not play ball..who knows.

One of the reasons why this kid got drafted so high and even got a combine invite was because the guy showed up to work every day and worked even when he didn't have a chance to play. He took his lumps and still showed up, put in the work, practiced, lifted, and coached other receivers during his suspension when other players who were suspended didn't bother and laid out (how hard do you think he'll be willing to work when he actually has the opportunity to see the field?). That speaks volumes to me. Seriously, before y'all hang the kid, some of y'all may want to do some research.

CloakNNNdagger
04-27-2012, 11:10 PM

I stand corrected on the speed comment........originally misread his 40 time.
I hope he doesn't hear the same footsteps, though, that JJ seemed to be hearing.

CloakNNNdagger
04-27-2012, 11:19 PM

I had to go back and look up where I got sidetracked with his 40 time.

Reported at 4.50
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1081538-ohio-state-football-wr-devier-posey-has-solid-outing-at-nfl-combine

Reported at 4.50-4.59
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfldraftscout.com%2Fratings%2 Fdsprofile.php%3Fpyid%3D84034%26draftyear%3D2012%2 6genpos%3DWR&ei=wF-bT6bGL-SU2AX2meThDg&usg=AFQjCNGGjWKF4QfdEGMD-sxP6sE0VtdECw&sig2=zdKq5UJgJAqkqIiZwerWDg

Reported at 4.47 (at combine)
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2012/02/26/pead-excels-posey-struggles-in-40/

thunderkyss
04-27-2012, 11:23 PM
One of the reasons why this kid got drafted so high and even got a combine invite was because the guy showed up to work every day and worked even when he didn't have a chance to play.

He took his lumps and still showed up, put in the work, practiced, lifted, and coached other receivers during his suspension when other players who were suspended didn't bother and laid out (how hard do you think he'll be willing to work when he actually has the opportunity to see the field?). That speaks volumes to me.

This is answers a question I had. Figured as much, if the Texans were interested. Like you, I think the Texans value this aspect of him.

Like I said, I have nothing against the guy. But I'll be comparing him to Randle over the next few years.

GP
04-27-2012, 11:29 PM

Agreed.

Agreed.

Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Posey good size and movement. Likely a possession WR in NFL although deceptive vertical speed with free access. 3rd rd picks have questions.

There's the problem: We drafted a possession receiver. We need a down-the-field guy when AJ goes down and never gets back onto the field again. People want to ignore it and act like AJ will play forever.

The road to finding his replacement started this year and it doesn't start with Posey, IMO. It doesn't start with a KW possession-type clone.

If drafting Posey allows the team to get rid of Jacoby than shouldn't that make the pick one of this board's most beloved picks of all time?

Oh yes. It's going to be fantastic getting rid of one knucklehead for another, and watching Kubiak "aww shucks" us about Posey for the next three years.

Haven't we all seen this movie before? :popcorn:

Great Job.

Let me go on record now saying I don't like this at all. Nothing against Posey, nothing at all. But we had Rueben Randall, or could have. We traded out of that spot & now we're taking Rueben.

In my defense, I just got home & looked through the draft tracker real quick. I don't know the details of the trade yet.

I had a freak out FOR you. I had a freak out for everyone here who didn't like (a) the trade down and (b) the way we had to settle for Posey after watching the SB champs take Randle.

There's a lot of conflicting stuff on him. His hands look good to me. He may have issues with concentration.

I see nothing conflicting. I see a guy who is labeled a possession-type WR and was suspended for most his senior year. I see a guy who has NFL Combine speed that isn't showing up on film. For all the people who say Kendall Wright is not all he's cracked up to be, the guy flew by people and caught passes in stride deep down the field.

The film I saw on Posey tonight, and I am assuming they're showing us the best they could find on him, it looked like Posey is practically jogging down the field and hand-fighting the whole way. At least we found someone that KJ can own in practice and someone who can slow down and wait on Schaub's lofty, short passes to come down. Posey is our Seabiscuit...he helps others around him grow in confidence.

Marcus
04-27-2012, 11:32 PM
This is answers a question I had. Figured as much, if the Texans were interested. Like you, I think the Texans value this aspect of him.

Like I said, I have nothing against the guy. But I'll be comparing him to Randle over the next few years.

Randle? You mean the Randle that was "projected" to be drafted in the 1st round? What was it about him that none of the teams liked?

Corrosion
04-27-2012, 11:37 PM
Great Job.

Let me tell you my opinion of why they prefered Posey over Randall -

They both come from run oriented offenses and Posey is the more polished reciever. He put up the numbers as a Soph and a Jr compared to Randall's one year of production.

Randall is more of a project , and this team is in "Win Now Mode". They need a guy who can come in and contribute yesterday , not in two or three years.
Randall might have the higher ceiling but right now , Posey is the superior WR and can come in and impact this team instantly.

I really think if he had played his Sr season in full he would have gone no later than the second round.

GP
04-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Randle? You mean the Randle that was "projected" to be drafted in the 1st round? What was it about him that none of the teams liked?

Why did Fleener drop the 2nd round, as well?

Same answer to the same question: Teams were filling other needs and Randle was a tier 2 WR in comparison to Floyd and Blackmon.

GP
04-27-2012, 11:41 PM
Let me tell you my opinion of why they prefered Posey over Randall -

They both come from run oriented offenses and Posey is the more polished reciever. He put up the numbers as a Soph and a Jr compared to Randall's one year of production.

Randall is more of a project , and this team is in "Win Now Mode". They need a guy who can come in and contribute yesterday , not in two or three years.
Randall might have the higher ceiling but right now , Posey is the superior WR and can come in and impact this team instantly.

I really think if he had played his Sr season in full he would have gone no later than the second round.

That's a post full of speculation.

I know you liked Posey before tonight, and you know you'l have a desire to protect your prediction of him. But I want to see where you had him slated in round 3...IIRC, you had said "later in the draft" which makes me think you didn't have a round 3 grade on him. Not being a-hole about it, just curious as to what your projection on him was.

fiasco west
04-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Why did Fleener drop the 2nd round, as well?

Same answer to the same question: Teams were filling other needs and Randle was a tier 2 WR in comparison to Floyd and Blackmon.

Fleener was still the first TE taken.

Randle was supposed to be the 3rd or 4th WR taken....Teams passed on him. No team passed on Fleener because no TEs were taken ahead of him.

Corrosion
04-27-2012, 11:56 PM
That's a post full of speculation.

I know you liked Posey before tonight, and you know you'l have a desire to protect your prediction of him. But I want to see where you had him slated in round 3...IIRC, you had said "later in the draft" which makes me think you didn't have a round 3 grade on him. Not being a-hole about it, just curious as to what your projection on him was.

Read the bottom line of this post (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1908720&postcount=22)

GP
04-27-2012, 11:59 PM

Randle was supposed to be the 3rd or 4th WR taken....Teams passed on him. No team passed on Fleener because no TEs were taken ahead of him.

We also passed on Randal in the 1st round...because we needed a OLB to replace Mario. Again: We had a larger need than WR for the post we were picking at the moment.

Everyone gambled that Randle would still be there for them, chief of those gamblers was Houston who got cocky and traded down thinking they'd still get him. Speculating, myself, of course.

Carr Bombed
04-28-2012, 12:02 AM

Yep, it's like asking why did the Heisman winning running back Mark Ingram fell to the bottom of the first round last season...

Answer is, teams don't really place a high grade on those positions. TEs and RBs are a dime a dozen. This year with Richardson is the exception (a HUGE exception) and not the rule.

In most drafts you're lucky to have one or two of these players selected #1 overall and sometimes no players at their position are selected.

WRs... in today's passing league, there's WRs who go early and often every single year.

But to answer the original question on why Randle might have fell so far. I remember hearing that a lot of people felt that he quit in both games they played against Alabama (especially the NC game). When LSU couldn't move the ball, he went into a shell, went through the motions, didn't finish off routes, and went into full quit mode. NFL G.M.s possibly held that against him tonight. At least we know that Posey did the complete opposite and still worked regardless if he was eligible or not...

ChampionTexan
04-28-2012, 12:09 AM

And it conveniently ignores the fact that as the #2 pick of the second round, Fleener went right in the range that most folks expected him to go. Maybe in the lower half of the range, but still in the range.

I don't recall a single mock with him going any higher than #26 to the Texans, and I saw several that didn't have him in round 1 at all.

Carr Bombed
04-28-2012, 12:12 AM
We also passed on Randal in the 1st round...because we needed a OLB to replace Mario. Again: We had a larger need than WR for the post we were picking at the moment.

Everyone gambled that Randle would still be there for them, chief of those gamblers was Houston who got cocky and traded down thinking they'd still get him. Speculating, myself, of course.

Where do you get this "still thinking they would get him" stuff from?

Where did the Texans ever say they were after the guy? If you're strictly going off mock drafts where talking heads had us slotted to take the guy, that doesn't mean the Texans were ever interested in him. They easily could've been like the other 31 teams who were more than willing to pass on him twice and some who passed on him a 3rd time... and the fact that they traded out of the second round when he was still on the board lets me know that they were never really interested in him at all, regardless of what any mock draft says.

Rueben Randle was NEVER on the Texans radar. If he was, they would've stayed put and would've taken him in the second round.

EVOLVIST
04-28-2012, 12:15 AM
At one point I had Posey mocked for the Texans (so I'll take that little victory for myself), but I had him going to us in the 5th round.

But the way I look at it now, and this might change (and Lord knows I hate wasted picks), but if the Texans take another WR in this draft, say...Greg Childs, Nick Toon or Tommy Streeter, then that puts a whole lot more competition into this years WR corps, especially with Lestar waiting in the wings.

I mean, there has got to be a playmaker out of that bunch, right?

If the Texans do not take another WR, then I really question what's going on.

I'm just asking for the Texans to take Greg Childs and James Hanna at TE. IS that too much to ask?

So far a draft grade of B- ...and that's only because Mercilus fell to us and Brooks is an interesting prospect at guard or tackle for a big man with his quickness.

fiasco west
04-28-2012, 12:20 AM

Everyone gambled that Randle would still be there for them, chief of those gamblers was Houston who got cocky and traded down thinking they'd still get him.

If the Texans passed on Randle for Mercylus then obviously they would have seen him as a steal in the 2nd round and would have NOT traded down. If they had a 1st round grade on him no way they are trading down. They usually are just fine sitting in their spot and picking, and if you have a 1st round rating on a guy and you are about to get him at the end of the 2nd you don't trade down. I don't think the Texans are that dumb.

I think it's more likely that they just didn't like the guy too much. I mean they traded back like 12 spots, seems to me either...

A.) They didn't like him
or
B.) They really didn't have him rated too high or he had a comparable rating to Posey which means they were sure they would get either and pick up a couple more picks.

No way it happened like that. This means they passed on him TWICE. Which means they just didn't like him too much.

Also if Brooks turns out to be a good pick or the 4th rounder we got then it becomes a good move still.

Draft is a crap shoot, in these later rounds 3-6 the more you have the better. It's like playing the lotto, the more tickets you have the better chance you have of hitting. They have 3 picks in the 4th now, that's great news.

TheMatrix31
04-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Guaranteed we take another WR tomorrow.

fiasco west
04-28-2012, 12:21 AM

Where did the Texans ever say they were after the guy? If you're strictly going off mock drafts where talking heads had us slotted to take the guy, that doesn't mean the Texans were ever interested in him. They easily could've been like the other 32 teams who were more than willing to pass on him twice and some who passed on him a 3rd time... and the fact that they traded out of the second round when he was still on the board lets me know that they were never really interested in him at all, regardless of what any mock draft says.

Rueben Randle was NEVER on the Texans radar. If he was, they easily would've stayed put and would've taken him in the second round.

Looks like I must spread rep around...but yep.

They would have stayed put if they had him rated that high. I think it's safe to assume that they just didn't want him.

kiwitexansfan
04-28-2012, 12:24 AM
Guaranteed we take another WR tomorrow.

Based on what? First year WR hardly ever contribute, and we have Maehl and Jean to work in who have spent a year in the system.

kiwitexansfan
04-28-2012, 12:25 AM

Where did the Texans ever say they were after the guy? If you're strictly going off mock drafts where talking heads had us slotted to take the guy, that doesn't mean the Texans were ever interested in him. They easily could've been like the other 32 teams who were more than willing to pass on him twice and some who passed on him a 3rd time... and the fact that they traded out of the second round when he was still on the board lets me know that they were never really interested in him at all, regardless of what any mock draft says.

Rueben Randle was NEVER on the Texans radar. If he was, they would've stayed put and would've taken him in the second round.

.... Too....... Much...... Logic.......

Honoring Earl 34
04-28-2012, 12:26 AM

I would say that pass rushers are a top 3 priority in the draft for any team . The Texans need mismatches on offense in the form of fast little guys ( Wylie and Adams ) or tall guys like Green .

gary
04-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Why are some just sitting here diagnosing the pick?

Texan in Japan
04-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Ok, my son and I were watching the draft and basically choked on "The Texans pick from Ohio State University, DeVier Posey." However, I went to the 2012 Pro Football Draft Guide and I liked the evaluation that he was given. Check it out...

Initial Quickness: He gets off the line well and shows some bust out of his cuts.

Release: He gets off the line well and rarely faced concerns that could handle him at the line.

React to ball: He has excellent body control and tracks the ball well. He makes solid adjustments to the ball and has a large catch radius. He helps his QB out by getting to some passes other receivers wouldn't. He is a solid leaper with good length. He high points passes.

React to Traffic: He is not afraid to go over the middle and is very effective on crossing routes. He is willing to take the hit to make the catch.

Hands: He has good hands, catches the ball well in traffic, and turns up the field after tucking it away quickly.

Deep Threat: He is a good route runner and can get on top of of defensive backs very quickly. He builds speed fast and closes the cushion. He has the ability to stick his foot and make a quick cut into the open field and run away from the defensive back.

Conclusion: ...does not have elite agility numbers, but is solid across the board. He is a good route runner...willing blocker...has good hands. He simply does everything well and has no glaring holes in his game.

Forgive me, but I just hit the high points. However, when I compared him to Rueben Randle who I had mocked to us in the 2nd Rd I understood why the Texans passed on Randle.

Conclusion: Randle is a bigger WR that does not have elite speed or quickness. He is a long-strider and can take a few steps to get moving... He is not quick in and out of his breaks...

While the guy that put this guide together is not a pro scout, he watches film to build his book and has put together one of the best references I've seen in my 36 years of following the draft.

I like our other picks and I'm very excited about round 4's potential. I think this kid has some potential and like what I've read about his bust out of breaks, body control and quick speed. We should scrutinize, but not be too upset just yet. My 2 cents.

kiwitexansfan
04-28-2012, 12:36 AM
Reading the reports you can definitely talk yourself into the pick. My approach is to dig through the reports to find what the FO saw in the guy.

Ryan
04-28-2012, 12:37 AM
If we don't get Childs or Marvin Jones i think we should look at Jeff Fuller in the 5th. If he had come out his junior season I think he would have had an early 2nd projection.

aussie_texan
04-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Good speed, makes separation (what a lot of the rookie WRs struggle with this year), has good hands, runs very good routes for a rookie, decent and willing blocker, great leaping ability.
Im not in love with this pick but I'm pretty happy.
Probably could have been had in the 4th but the 3rd isn't to bad considering we got extra picks because of it.

I understand his off-field issues but it seems like the FO did there research and investigation on him and he came out on top.
We all know about the importance we place upon good character and we still picked him so i trust what our FO has done.

Overall decent pick up.

Playoffs
04-28-2012, 12:50 AM
Posey played in 41 games at Ohio State with 29 starts. He ranks in the top 10 in school history in career catches (136), receiving yards (1,955) and touchdowns (18). He had 113 catches for 1,676 yards in his sophomore and junior seasons combined, and he ran a 4.37 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Bolded surprises me a bit.

aussie_texan
04-28-2012, 12:51 AM
Posey played in 41 games at Ohio State with 29 starts. He ranks in the top 10 in school history in career catches (136), receiving yards (1,955) and touchdowns (18). He had 113 catches for 1,676 yards in his sophomore and junior seasons combined, and he ran a 4.37 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Bolded surprises me a bit.

i thought he ran a 4.50

is that an unofficial time

GP
04-28-2012, 12:52 AM

Or, we looked at the teams between us and our new draft position and calculated that those teams wouldn't take him before our now early 3rd rounder. In essence: We got caught trying to get him in the 3rd AND adding an extra 4th at the same time.

I think this was Smith trying to add more picks, since we do indeed have more needs this year due to off-season losses, and the gamble didn't work out.

By the way, the Browns flat out told McCoy they wouldn't take a QB in the draft. They lied to him in order to smoke screen their true intentions. The Texans also lied to David Carr, flat out lied to him, and said "We're taking Reggie Bush" when the whole plan was to get Mario on the cheap.

No difference here, IMO, where you think the Texans never had him on the radar...when it's possible they didn't show too much interest in him for the explicit purpose of trying to trade down and get more picks while still being able to draft him.

Rick said he was looking for GMs who would play ball on draft day trades. He found one, and he thought he could have his cake and eat it too. I think Posey was the only guy left for them out of the type of WR targeted for 3rd/4th round. The other WRs they like are probably later guys.

TexCanada
04-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Or, we looked at the teams between us and our new draft position and calculated that those teams wouldn't take him before our now early 3rd rounder. In essence: We got caught trying to get him in the 3rd AND adding an extra 4th at the same time.

I think this was Smith trying to add more picks, since we do indeed have more needs this year due to off-season losses, and the gamble didn't work out.

By the way, the Browns flat out told McCoy they wouldn't take a QB in the draft. They lied to him in order to smoke screen their true intentions. The Texans also lied to David Carr, flat out lied to him, and said "We're taking Reggie Bush" when the whole plan was to get Mario on the cheap.

No difference here, IMO, where you think the Texans never had him on the radar...when it's possible they didn't show too much interest in him for the explicit purpose of trying to trade down and get more picks while still being able to draft him.

Rick said he was looking for GMs who would play ball on draft day trades. He found one, and he thought he could have his cake and eat it too. I think Posey was the only guy left for them out of the type of WR targeted for 3rd/4th round. The other WRs they like are probably later guys.

There were other options at receiver besides Randle. I think Smithiak targeted Posey and made it happen.

Corrosion
04-28-2012, 01:06 AM
There were other options at receiver besides Randle. I think Smithiak targeted Posey and made it happen.

Considering all the effort they put into investigating his past .... it would lead you to believe they were targeting him.

I think Posey is the superior player today .... tho Randall may have a higher upside and that is why many dont like the pick. They fail to realize that this team is in a "win now mode" and cant afford to wait around for a project to develop .... just look at J.Jones and his lack of development.

Allstar
04-28-2012, 01:08 AM
I don't think we trade out of the second if there is only one guy we have our eyes on. Chances are we have multiple guys that all grade about the same and traded back, fairly certain one of them would drop to us. To think that we traded back hoping and praying that Randle and Randle alone would still be there would be a little too naive. Sure, we might have liked him, but we felt good enough about Posey and maybe others to move back a few spots and pick up another 4th.

80tothezone
04-28-2012, 01:10 AM

I was about to say he looks like he might be a little better version of jacoby.

sent from way too close to Dallas....

CloakNNNdagger
04-28-2012, 01:11 AM
i thought he ran a 4.50is that an unofficial time

That's what I posted previously (4.40 to 4.59 depending on the source; 4.50 at the combine). I don't know where 4.37 came from

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1945312&postcount=73

steelbtexan
04-28-2012, 01:13 AM
Dont like this pick.

Hopefully one of Matthews/Jones/Childs/Streeter will be a 4th rd pick.

aussie_texan
04-28-2012, 01:18 AM
I don't think we trade out of the second if there is only one guy we have our eyes on. Chances are we have multiple guys that all grade about the same and traded back, fairly certain one of them would drop to us. To think that we traded back hoping and praying that Randle and Randle alone would still be there would be a little too naive. Sure, we might have liked him, but we felt good enough about Posey and maybe others to move back a few spots and pick up another 4th.

Spot ON!

SW H-TOWN
04-28-2012, 01:26 AM
The thing that I don't get is where we selected him. I really think we could have grabbed him in the 4th round and gotten a guy Mike Martin, DeMario Davis, Brandon Thompson, or even BRYAN ANGER :bender:

76Texan
04-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Considering all the effort they put into investigating his past .... it would lead you to believe they were targeting him.

I think Posey is the superior player today .... tho Randall may have a higher upside and that is why many dont like the pick. They fail to realize that this team is in a "win now mode" and cant afford to wait around for a project to develop .... just look at J.Jones and his lack of development.

I've watched Posey some in 2010; I don't remember the details, but I know the impressions were favorable. I just look around for a bunch of stories and highlights and stuffs and I think I like what I found so far.

I have the 3 games he played in this year and at least 7 games in 2010 and some in 09 I'll go back and watch when I have some time.

I saw him running by people on several plays; I saw him catch the ball in traffic taking multiple hits afterward. And he's a good passer, too. We might see a trick play down the road in the play-offs, I hope.

He throw a nice tight spiral on the move, setting his feet very fluidly, he looks better than some QBs drafted recently.

EllisUnit
04-28-2012, 02:46 AM
Idk looks pretty good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMoKu6hymWE&feature=fvwrel

i like his size, makes some good catches and locates the ball very well. Goes down on initial contact. Hopefully AJ can teach this kid a thing or two and he can become a good NFL WR.

TdotTexas2Step
04-28-2012, 03:03 AM
That's what I posted previously (4.40 to 4.59 depending on the source; 4.50 at the combine). I don't know where 4.37 came from

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1945312&postcount=73

Article on the official Houston Texans website has him clocked in at 4.37

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Texans-take-WR-DeVier-Posey-G-Brandon-Brooks-in-third-round/cbf8f418-179f-4d85-a594-9017e60e3c0f

And also listed at 4.37 according to @Buckeye_Nation

http://twitter.com/#!/Buckeye_Nation/statuses/173852838680735746

kiwitexansfan
04-28-2012, 03:20 AM
i like his size, makes some good catches and locates the ball very well. Goes down on initial contact. Hopefully AJ can teach this kid a thing or two and he can become a good NFL WR.

He does locate the ball well, seems to run good routes but too many times he looks like he has to grab the ball a second time.

b0ng
04-28-2012, 03:21 AM
The thing that I don't get is where we selected him. I really think we could have grabbed him in the 4th round and gotten a guy Mike Martin, DeMario Davis, Brandon Thompson, or even BRYAN ANGER :bender:

This is the same reasoning that had a lot of people mad we traded down and got Duane Brown, and then Ben Tate two years later. I will say that he runs very pretty routes and the more I watch what I can of him, the more I see things I like.

TejasTom
04-28-2012, 03:49 AM
That's what I posted previously (4.40 to 4.59 depending on the source; 4.50 at the combine). I don't know where 4.37 came from...

NFL.com is reporting the times, first an "unofficial" clocking shortly after prospects run and later an "official" time. A source told NFLDraftScout.com that the first clocking is a hand-held time and the second comes from National Football Scouting, which conducts the event and distributes the official reports to NFL teams.

The 4.37 was his unofficial time.

clutch
04-28-2012, 04:01 AM
im coming to like this pick..he seems to play like Kendall Wright but with better size..as long as he replaces jacoby im happy..

Wolf6151
04-28-2012, 04:02 AM
This is just a retarded pick. Who in their right mind would pass up Marvin Jones, Greg Childs, and Mohamed Sanu in favor of DeVier Posey. Bobby Massie, Brandon Mosley, and Brandon Thompson were also available. Why would you take a guy with low morals and almost no productivity due to suspension in the high 3rd round when you could have got him in the 6th? WTF?

Allstar
04-28-2012, 04:10 AM
This is just a retarded pick. Who in their right mind would pass up Marvin Jones, Greg Childs, and Mohamed Sanu in favor of DeVier Posey. Bobby Massie, Brandon Mosley, and Brandon Thompson were also available. Why would you take a guy with low morals and almost no productivity due to suspension in the high 3rd round when you could have got him in the 6th? WTF?

You may be right, but we don't have access to other team's big boards, and we've yet to see any of those players play a down in the NFL. Time will reveal all.

kiwitexansfan
04-28-2012, 04:25 AM

He played a lot in his Sop. and Jnr. years and was productive. Played well when he did play this year.

kiwitexansfan
04-28-2012, 04:27 AM
From the buckeyes sight.....

Ohio State Overview: DeVier did not have the benefit of a redshirt season, and he has been an outstanding player for the Buckeyes in his four seasons. He closed out his career with 136 career receptions for 1,955 yards, numbers that rank sixth and eighth, respectively, all-time among Ohio State receivers. He also scored 18 receiving touchdowns to rank seventh on the all-time list. He is a four-year Varsity O letterwinner (2008-11) who played in 41 games, started 29 games and had a reception in each of his final 30 games played. He had six 100-yard receiving games, the eighth-most in school history. DeVier is on track to graduate in spring 2012 with his degree in communications.

Goldensilence
04-28-2012, 05:17 AM
Gut reaction... Looks like Gary and Rick are reverting back to trying toprove they are the smartest men in the draft again.

Mixed feelings on the reviews of the guy, I am hoping he's closer to what Corrosion is saying and less like my gut, which is having its spidey sense tingling.

ObsiWan
04-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Well if A.J. is good with it, that's all I need to hear...

johnson80 (http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=johnson80) @DPo8 (http://twitter.com/DPo8) what up brah glad that u are a part of the Texans. Going to be a great season

y'all who don't like it, take it up with Andre.
:D

Anthony713
04-28-2012, 07:22 AM
Well if A.J. is good with it, that's all I need to hear...

y'all who don't like it, take it up with Andre.

on his feelings about learning from Andre Johnson) "Oh, man, I'm really excited to learn from him and just to get down there with T.J. Yates and just pick their brains and everything."

Quote from Devier Posey

Kaiser Toro
04-28-2012, 07:41 AM
The Texans have drafted a WR once in the first round in their history. In the interim, I am still waiting for the next Rod Smith to walk through the door.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/htx/career-receiving.htm

The worst thing is that the Texans are making an exception for Posey, based on off the field extra curriculars. Why this guy? Why for a WR would we skirt the off the field issues?

I really do not like Rick Smith as a GM, this pick absolutely reeks.

Brandon420tx
04-28-2012, 07:44 AM
on his feelings about learning from Andre Johnson) "Oh, man, I'm really excited to learn from him and just to get down there with T.J. Yates and just pick their brains and everything."

Quote from Devier Posey

I'm actually surprised he knows TJ's name

kingh99
04-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Posey
High ceiling
Good value
High risk
Exactly what some pundits said the Texans would do operating from a position of team strength and extra picks. They thought this year's Texans could afford to reach/take a home run swing or two.

I like the guys comment above who said opposite of JJ. JJ's a sweet kid, or as Mike Holovak would say, he's a nice boy. It would perfect symmetry to see him traded for Colt McCoy, another nice boy. I really like Colt and think he would do well under Kubiak. Colt's a player whose been screwed by circumstance whereas JJ's a player whose screwed up his circumstance. My opinion and for what that's worth.

Grams
04-28-2012, 08:30 AM
For the guys complaining about his character - it was stated that he sold HIS memoribilia and got paid too much for a summer job. He has stated he did this to help his family. And because it helped his family, he would do it again. Who amoung you would not have done that to help your family?

However, while serving his suspension, he still worked out and kept in shape, helped others receivers on his team. That speaks volumns about his character. Especially where you see that Randle shut it down in games.

This guy can catch, can run routes, has no fear of going over the middle and taking a hit. He is no JJ.

Not a red-shirted freshman and will still graduate this spring.

I like this pick for what it's worth.

El Tejano
04-28-2012, 08:31 AM

Gaffney is pretty good these days.

CloakNNNdagger
04-28-2012, 08:38 AM
The 4.37 was his unofficial time.

He may have great attributes and turn out to be a great player, but the 40 time reported on HT.com seems to be a little disingenuous.

The 40 times usually looked at are the "official" times. Otherwise, a pick and choose approach is too easy to have an apples and oranges comparison with other player timings. How many other "unofficial" times floating around out there could other players then pull out to mess with the process that allows the ability to compare players?

Most all sources have reported his official 40 Combine time at 4.50. A 4.37 looks to be somehwhat "out there."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=84034&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=DeVier&l=Posey&i=9792

That said, he is a Texan now and I'd like to see JJ disappear. So if someone comes up with a 4.10 for Posey, I can turn my blind eye and get totally on board.:)

welsh texan
04-28-2012, 09:23 AM
I don't understand the amount of stock that gets put into the combine and other workouts. You want to give a player 2 months to train for specific tests that don't involve a football, and train their bodies to be different from their playing body, and then you allow yourself to be swayed by that.

I'd do all my scouting off tape if I was involved in the process, I really don't understand when people claim 'player X's stock has risen since the bowl game', what you are saying is, 'player X looks better since he stopped playing football'. Madness.

I hope DeVier works out, we definitely need him to, I also hope we get a contributor in R4 at the position who can become a starter down the line.

ChampionTexan
04-28-2012, 09:23 AM
He may have great attributes and turn out to be a great player, but the 40 time reported on HT.com seems to be a little disingenuous.

The 40 times usually looked at are the "official" times. Otherwise, a pick and choose approach is too easy to have an apples and oranges comparison with other player timings. How many other "unofficial" times floating around out there could other players then pull out to mess with the process that allows the ability to compare players?

Most all sources have reported his official 40 Combine time at 4.50. A 4.37 looks to be somehwhat "out there."

From what I understand, NFL teams all time the 40 themselves (both at the combine and at pro days), and go with their time as opposed to the "official" time.

Posey's comments regarding why he didn't run the 40 at his pro day:

All the teams really got me through the range, through the grapevine, between 4.37 and 4.48, so I'll take that time," Posey said. "That's why I felt comfortable here not to run.
LINK (http://www.thelantern.com/sports/devier-posey-shines-at-ohio-state-football-pro-day-1.2816530#.T5vtptniETA)

TEXANJAK
04-28-2012, 09:25 AM
All this kid has to do is make three touchdowns all year and three receptions in every game and that will make him better than Jacoby Jones. Sounds like he can do it to me.

rmartin65
04-28-2012, 09:46 AM
All this kid has to do is make three touchdowns all year and three receptions in every game and that will make him better than Jacoby Jones. Sounds like he can do it to me.

Why are we comparing him to JJ? A nutless monkey could be better than JJ. Posey needs to be compared to players drafted after him.

chicagotexan2
04-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Dissapointed.

Confused and disappointed.

TexansBull
04-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Why are we comparing him to JJ? A nutless monkey could be better than JJ. Posey needs to be compared to players drafted after him.

Nutless monkeys take offense to that...

Errant Hothy
04-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Confused and disappointed.

I don't mind being confused on draft day. There have certainly been several players I thought were going to be usefull NFL players who were anything but.

AS to being disappointed...why? Why be disappionted in a guy before he has even been assigned a locker and a number. At the very least wait till after this season to be disappointed, I'll wait two season before becoming diappionted an any of the players taken in this draft.

TimeKiller
04-28-2012, 10:57 AM
My concern isn't for the player specifically...more that I think most internet draftniks thought him a 5/6th round prospect. Trading back while Sanu AND Randle are there in the 2nd...and then not getting either of them, instead reaching for a guy with some big question marks...

Didn't particularly care for that bit. Still good players on the board though and the Texans are locked and loaded for an mid round bonanza. Let's do it!

drs23
04-28-2012, 11:15 AM
I don't mind being confused on draft day. There have certainly been several players I thought were going to be usefull NFL players who were anything but.

AS to being disappointed...why? Why be disappionted in a guy before he has even been assigned a locker and a number. At the very least wait till after this season to be disappointed, I'll wait two season before becoming diappionted an any of the players taken in this draft.

There's that logic thing again.

You've been around here long enough to know it's all about FO incompetence and pissin' and moanin' because obviously there are many here that know more about every player coming out. After all, we have stacks of drug store magazines, a top-flite MB and the whole f'kn internet to come to the conclusions as to who the Texans should draft. All they hafta do is log on!

But do you think they'd do that? Hell no! They're going to rely on their scouts & coaches that have been doing this stuff for their entire professional lives, private investigators going all over the country interviewing countless witnesses, coaches, teachers and whomever else they deem necessary to draw their silly conclusions.

After all, they ARE THE SMARTEST MEN IN THE ROOM. :kitten::kitten:

Errant Hothy
04-28-2012, 11:19 AM
My concern isn't for the player specifically...more that I think most internet draftniks thought him a 5/6th round prospect. Trading back while Sanu AND Randle are there in the 2nd...and then not getting either of them, instead reaching for a guy with some big question marks...

Didn't particularly care for that bit. Still good players on the board though and the Texans are locked and loaded for an mid round bonanza. Let's do it!

Who cares what internet draftniks think? Do they not make mistakes? I can easily remember several players who carried 2nd grades by the likes of Mayock and Kiper who didn't get picked till the sixth or seventh and than never did anything in the NFL outside of cleaning out a locker. As for Sanu and Randle, multiple teams with needs at WR passed both in the second/third. Some teams passed them more than once. Yuu have to wonder why?

I think people undervalue the amount of information that we, the general public, that is not made available to us. I would hazard a guess that alot of the guys who go into draft free-fall had really poor interviews at the combine.

Number19
04-28-2012, 11:23 AM

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=84034&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR

That said, he is a Texan now and I'd like to see JJ disappear. So if someone comes up with a 4.10 for Posey, I can turn my blind eye and get totally on board.:)You're correct on the value of having one "official" time for comparison. But sometimes the official time, for one reason or another, is just not the best measure to go by. Kendall Wright has an "official" time slower than Posey's, at 4.51.

Marcus
04-28-2012, 11:25 AM
There's that logic thing again.

You've been around here long enough to know it's all about FO incompetence and pissin' and moanin' because obviously there are many here that know more about every player coming out. After all, we have stacks of drug store magazines, a top-flite MB and the whole f'kn internet to come to the conclusions as to who the Texans should draft. All they hafta do is log on!

But do you think they'd do that? Hell no! They're going to rely on their scouts & coaches that have been doing this stuff for their entire professional lives, private investigators going all over the country interviewing countless witnesses, coaches, teachers and whomever else they deem necessary to draw their silly conclusions.

After all, they ARE THE SMARTEST MEN IN THE ROOM. :kitten::kitten:

Careful now! You might get somebody's panties twisted if you even imply that the armchair GMs on this board don't know as much as the FO does.

Kaiser Toro
04-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Do you understand that the world does not revolve around you and your do whatever it takes, ruin as many people's lives, so long as you can make a name for yourself as an investigatory journalist, no matter how many friends you lose or people you leave dead and bloodied along the way, just so long so you can make a name for yourself as an investigatory journalist, no matter how many friends you lose or people you leave dead and bloodied and dying along the way?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0196229/quotes

Marcus
04-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Who cares what internet draftniks think? Do they not make mistakes? I can easily remember several players who carried 2nd grades by the likes of Mayock and Kiper who didn't get picked till the sixth or seventh and than never did anything in the NFL outside of cleaning out a locker. As for Sanu and Randle, multiple teams with needs at WR passed both in the second/third. Some teams passed them more than once. Yuu have to wonder why?

I think people undervalue the amount of information that we, the general public, that is not made available to us. I would hazard a guess that alot of the guys who go into draft free-fall had really poor interviews at the combine.

Good post!

Errant Hothy
04-28-2012, 11:30 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0196229/quotes

So join now, 'cause at the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too, we teach you that there's more to life than just being really, really, really good looking. Right kids?

Love that movie.

Wolf
04-28-2012, 11:33 AM
I don't know much about Randle, one of the first weaknesses that I read, stuck out to me (had to look up why teams might be passing on him)

Weaknesses:

He has a very underdeveloped route tree specifically on the 1, 2, 3, and 4 routes…Seems to have been worked so that he could be a deep threat but hasn’t seen a ton of reps working in the underneath or intermediate zone
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/02/wr-reuben-randle-scouting-report/

I know, I know it is just one persons draft opinion.. but my first thought was..nope, that is not what Kubiak wants as a weakness

76Texan
04-28-2012, 11:37 AM

That said, he is a Texan now and I'd like to see JJ disappear. So if someone comes up with a 4.10 for Posey, I can turn my blind eye and get totally on board.:)

Doc, NFLDraftscout, one of the sites you listed, has this to say about him:
WR Devier Posey, Ohio St. -
Posey should effectively end the musical chairs with KW and JJ, and he combines the strengths of those two players - Walter's size and Jones' big play ability as a downfield receiver - in one package.

ESPN, another site that you listed, has Claiborne also running 4.50 while Kirkpatrick ran 4.51
Thes two guys were drafted in the first round.

The third site has a footnote in its home page:
Not timed/scored officially at the combine

GP
04-28-2012, 11:38 AM
The Texans have drafted a WR once in the first round in their history. In the interim, I am still waiting for the next Rod Smith to walk through the door.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/htx/career-receiving.htm

The worst thing is that the Texans are making an exception for Posey, based on off the field extra curriculars. Why this guy? Why for a WR would we skirt the off the field issues?

I really do not like Rick Smith as a GM, this pick absolutely reeks.

Rick should stay away from CBs and WRs.

I find it odd that Rick was a CB who played against WRs and he can't pick either of those very well.

Wolf
04-28-2012, 11:39 AM
I am curious (because I absolutely don't know) but would some have been happy if he came out last year and we drafted him in the 2nd.. (based on his stats so far)

My impression is most are pissed based on last years stats and the whole suspension thing

really just an honest question

redwhiteblue
04-28-2012, 11:40 AM
I feel that the idea of Rick Smith trying to outsmart the draft and trying to pick up extra picks and missing out on randle is overblown. Listen to the interview with Dennison. The texans liked posey at the shrine game and kubiak checked on posey with his people, smith checked with his people, and dennison checked with his people. That sounds to me like they targeted posey, and the pick was not a panic pick because they lost on another wide receiver.

Pantherstang84
04-28-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm starting to think they traded out of the second because if they grabbed Posey and left Randle on the board, people would think the cheese slipped off of thier crackers.

Porky
04-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Meh. Seems like a guy we could have gotten in the 4th if they really liked him. No way of knowing of course. I may have seen him once or twice as a Jr, but he didn't stand out to me. Seems like a potential KW eventual replacement to me at best, and maybe a 4th type depth guy at worst. A lot of the same type of attributes as KW..

Where I do think he maybe could shine early on is as a red zone threat. Looking at his highlights, I really like the way he battles the DB's, tracks the ball, and he looked to have really, really good body control. Those are all attributes I am looking for as a Red Zone threat.

I'm ok with the pick but far from doing cartwheels, although I would have taken Sanu myself. Again, what do I know. I'll give it a C+ because I like his RZ potential, but if you are asking me if he is a real difference maker or if we just drafted or Andre Johnson replacement I highly doubt it. Decent depth pick though so I'm not throwing anything thru the TV.

Errant Hothy
04-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Something that I think gets over-looked and undervauled is his ability as a blocker. You don't play wide out at OSU without being an able and willing blocker.

Tailgate
04-28-2012, 11:53 AM
This guy could turn out to be who the Texans think he can be. The board was set before the draft and was not going to change. Things will just have to play out, no sense in getting upset about something we really have no clue on how it will turn out.

ItsMyFault
04-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Let him actually take the field and play before you prematurely judge him based on this collegiate stats. He never had a pure QB in tOSU that threw to him. I'm going to reserve judgement on him until I see him play.

steelbtexan
04-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Meh. Seems like a guy we could have gotten in the 4th if they really liked him. No way of knowing of course. I may have seen him once or twice as a Jr, but he didn't stand out to me. Seems like a potential KW eventual replacement to me at best, and maybe a 4th type depth guy at worst. A lot of the same type of attributes as KW..

Where I do think he maybe could shine early on is as a red zone threat. Looking at his highlights, I really like the way he battles the DB's, tracks the ball, and he looked to have really, really good body control. Those are all attributes I am looking for as a Red Zone threat.

I'm ok with the pick but far from doing cartwheels, although I would have taken Sanu myself. Again, what do I know. I'll give it a C+ because I like his RZ potential, but if you are asking me if he is a real difference maker or if we just drafted or Andre Johnson replacement I highly doubt it. Decent depth pick though so I'm not throwing anything thru the TV.

^^^^
This

Posey looked not very good at the Sr.Bowl. Lots of drops even during the practices. Hopefully Posey is better than Jacoby game 1.

Maybe he was rusty from not playing much last yr due to the suspension.

I would've taken Chids or Givens. But I'm going to trust that Gary knows what he's doing.

Marcus
04-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Something that I think gets over-looked and undervauled is his ability as a blocker. You don't play wide out at OSU without being an able and willing blocker.

Yeah, that seems to be something that's slipping a few people's minds . . . that he played at a major university.

Let's see. What college did Jacoby (blow a playoff game all by himself) Jones play?

GP
04-28-2012, 12:43 PM
I am curious (because I absolutely don't know) but would some have been happy if he came out last year and we drafted him in the 2nd.. (based on his stats so far)

My impression is most are pissed based on last years stats and the whole suspension thing

really just an honest question

Not me. My issues with him:

1. Possession type WR. We got that in KW.

2. Bobbles catches. We had that in JJ.

3. Problems with his 40-yd time(s) as CnD pointed out earlier. The clips of him I saw, he looked slow.

4. We traded out of our 2nd round pick for him in the 3rd. I just feel you stick to your board. Passing on him in the 2nd gave us an extra 4th. I suppose the extra 4th is the silver lining here.

5. Character issues.

All in all, it was a reach. 4th or 5th round would have been better value. IMO.

ziggy29
04-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Yeah, that seems to be something that's slipping a few people's minds . . . that he played at a major university.

Let's see. What college did Jacoby (blow a playoff game all by himself) Jones play?

And where did Jerry Rice play?

Blake
04-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Objection. Speculation.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

b0ng
04-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Rick should stay away from CBs and WRs.

I find it odd that Rick was a CB who played against WRs and he can't pick either of those very well.

Yeah its weird cause Quin, McCain, Nolan all suck and were high round whiffs.

Pantherstang84
04-28-2012, 12:51 PM

Please don't tell me you are comparing Jacoby Jones to Jerry Rice.

ziggy29
04-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Please don't tell me you are comparing Jacoby Jones to Jerry Rice.

My point was simply that Jerry Rice did not play in a major program, and I don't think the size or prominence of the program is necessarily a big factor here.

Marcus
04-28-2012, 12:58 PM
My point was simply that Jerry Rice did not play in a major program, and I don't think the size or prominence of the program is necessarily a big factor here.

Yes, it most certainly does. Playing for a big university prepares you against higher quality players. Makes you more ready for the pros. It's nice to see them getting away from these small college prospects.

76Texan
04-28-2012, 12:59 PM
http://www.thelantern.com/sports/devier-posey-shines-at-ohio-state-football-pro-day-1.2816530

DeVier Posey shines at Ohio State football Pro Day

Following his workout, Posey stood in front of a group of reporters, smiling about his performance.

"I feel like I had a good day. I caught everything, so I'll smile about that," Posey said.

Along with 12 of his former teammates, Posey displayed his talents in front of coaches and scouts representing every NFL team except the New York Jets and Chicago Bears.

Worked out by new Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley, Posey did not drop any passes and ran crisp routes.

Posey said it was important for him to have a good showing.

"It's the period at the end of the sentence. It's a two-month period, and you want to cap it all off with a great workout," Posey said. "So, I really feel like right here I just wanted to put that period at the end of the sentence for this two-month period of training, working out. I feel like it went well."

After talking with his agent before OSU's Pro Day, Posey chose not to run the 40-yard dash Saturday.

"All the teams really got me through the range, through the grapevine, between 4.37 and 4.48, so I'll take that time," Posey said. "That's why I felt comfortable here not to run."

ziggy29
04-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Yes, it most certainly does. Playing for a big university grooms prepares you against higher quality players. Makes you more ready for the pros. It's nice to see them getting away from these small college prospects.

I'm not saying it's irrelevant -- just overrated *sometimes*. Again -- Jerry Rice.

SW H-TOWN
04-28-2012, 01:04 PM
After just reading a few quotes I think it is safe to say that this guy is smarter than JJ, ya dig. I would have liked to see us draft a WR with a little more YAC ability (from what little I've seen and read). I think we reached on him and I believe we could have drafted Brandon Thompson in the 3rd and drafted this guy with one of our 4th round picks.

Thorn
04-28-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm still out on a limb with this guy, but Smithiack wanted him for some reason, so I'm going to just go with that for now. The other three picks so far I'm very good with. :)

Ryan
04-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Albert Breer had this to say about him on Twitter FWIW

Albert Breer ‏ @AlbertBreer
For Texans fans asking me about Posey -- One of the most physically gifted Buckeye WRs in last 15 years. Needs to grow up. But can be great.

I like the pick. If he's "their guy" i'm on board.

ObsiWan
04-28-2012, 02:12 PM

Small school...
Just like Jacoby Jones.
what's yer point?

And back in the early 80s when Rice played at Mississippi Valley, the SWAC was still loaded with studs. Now guys like Rice get recruited by major colleges and don't have to go to small schools to get to play. They only go there if they can't play.

Totally different circumstances.

ObsiWan
04-28-2012, 02:14 PM

but Rice DID set the NCAA record for receptions and yards while playing for a small school. So there was some hint that Rice might have game.

drunkcookie
04-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Really shocked they went this route (trading down, going with Posey), but maybe it works out...

No, maybe not a lot of YAC, but i like that he keeps moving forward, and appears to be a pretty tough sonofagun...

We shall see...

Imatexanfan
04-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Look with all the compliments of Posey talent-wise is much a better upgrade to JJ. With AJ and other veteran players on this team will be able to straighten out his off field antics more less beat the dawg **** outta em when he's wrong...that would teach em...:strangle:

drunkcookie
04-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Look with all the compliments of Posey talent-wise is much a better upgrade to JJ. With AJ and other veteran players on this team will be able to straighten out his off field antics more less beat the dawg **** outta em when he's wrong...that would teach em...:strangle:

I'm not sure what Posey will turn out to be, but his "off field antics" were solved last night when he got a job making good money...

I could give a crap about trying to get free tattoos and taking more money than allowed for a job...that's nothing but a guy trying to make money...

The1ApplePie
04-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Not a fan of Wallnut WRs, but hopefully he has a lot more Santonio Holmes in him than he does Ted Ginn

Wasn't a fan of Randle.

SW H-TOWN
04-29-2012, 03:29 AM
One thing I noticed, this guy ran a 1.45 10 yard shuttle. That is really fast for a man of his size...Floyd ran a 1.57. I would be lying if I said that I liked this pick but WR are really hard to predict. Got to reserve judgment and see how he does. Hope he tears it up. If he becomes our #2 WR of the future I will be very happy.

Allstar
04-29-2012, 03:52 AM
I'm not sweating this pick one bit. Some are upset about it not being Randle/Sanu/whoever because he was the big name going into the draft. Bigger names/guys all the draftniks like don't necessarily mean they will be better. Recent history has proven that. See: Charles Rogers, Dwayne Jarret, Mike Williams, Limas Sweed, Chad Jackson, etc.

Quick II Draw
04-29-2012, 04:21 AM
This kid has done some stupid $!@#. He may not even be a great guy (as evidenced by the OSU-related who have stated 'my cousin's brother's friend had a bad story about Posey). This kid is from Cincinnati and went to Ohio State. He's a big-time athlete who's probably hung around with the same troublemakers since junior high. But this could be a perfect opportunity to make a clean break halfway across the country.

Fact is, he's a pretty solid football player. If you watch his film you can see he is very clean in and out of his cuts. He's bigger and faster than I thought he was, and he's obviously got a ton of room to build onto his frame if he wants. Also, he seems pretty genuinely excited about being able to play with 'Dre. His first act as a Texan was to tweet AJ saying "excited to learn from you brah !!!" They've already met & broke bread. Hopefully both he and AJ acknowledge and embrace their roles on this team.

LonerATO
04-29-2012, 04:24 AM
This kid has done some stupid $!@#. He may not even be a great guy (as evidenced by the OSU-related who have stated 'my cousin's brother's friend had a bad story about Posey). This kid is from Cincinnati and went to Ohio State. He's a big-time athlete who's probably hung around with the same troublemakers since junior high. But this could be a perfect opportunity to make a clean break halfway across the country.

Fact is, he's a pretty solid football player. If you watch his film you can see he is very clean in and out of his cuts. He's bigger and faster than I thought he was, and he's obviously got a ton of room to build onto his frame if he wants. Also, he seems pretty genuinely excited about being able to play with 'Dre. His first act as a Texan was to tweet AJ saying "excited to learn from you brah !!!" They've already met & broke bread. Hopefully both he and AJ acknowledge and embrace their roles on this team.

I agree with this, it's not like he is a crappy WR, but he made some stupid mistakes that cost him his season and high draftability.

Scooter
04-29-2012, 05:53 AM
from everything i've read and heard, i worry that GP is correct in saying that he is a combination of walter and jacoby ... in the wrong way. jacoby's head in walter's body. we all want to say "andre will be able to ...", but we forget that our legend hasnt made a dent on jacoby or anyone else. jacoby is actually the most developed receiver we've ever drafted, think about that. andre's not going to create a receiver ... horse to water (or miniature pony to a trough).

from what i see on the field, he's a 4.5-4.6 with no on field "running away" from average CB's, so this 4.37 is a bleacher stopwatch (obviously). this is consistent with the inconsistent reports. "high points the ball - fails to high point the ball" ... "zero burst - great burst" ... these things reek of propping a player up. i see his numbers speaking to who he is. a pretty good couple of years and then disappears when he gets distracted or changes his priorities ... i smell a mediocre diva.

i hope i'm wrong because he could transform our offense with his potential.

edit: not sober when writing this lol.

kiwitexansfan
04-29-2012, 06:04 AM
from everything i've read and heard, i worry that GP is correct in saying that he is a combination of walter and jacoby ... in the wrong way. jacoby's head in walter's body. we all want to say "andre will be able to ...", but we forget that our legend hasnt made a dent on jacoby or anyone else. jacoby is actually the most developed receiver we've ever drafted, think about that. andre's not going to create a receiver ... horse to water (or miniature pony to a trough).

from what i see on the field, he's a 4.5-4.6 with no on field "running away" from average CB's, so this 4.37 is a bleacher stopwatch (obviously). this is consistent with the inconsistent reports. "high points the ball - fails to high point the ball" ... "zero burst - great burst" ... these things reek of propping a player up. i see his numbers speaking to who he is. a pretty good couple of years and then disappears when he gets distracted or changes his priorities ... i smell a mediocre diva.

He had two seasons in which he started every game putting up good numbers in a run first offense catching passes from Terrell Pryor, then he got caught doing something I would guess a whole lot of "student athletes" do. Read his interviews, he comes across less diva-esque than Martin does.

Scooter
04-29-2012, 07:01 AM
He had two seasons in which he started every game putting up good numbers in a run first offense catching passes from Terrell Pryor, then he got caught doing something I would guess a whole lot of "student athletes" do. Read his interviews, he comes across less diva-esque than Martin does.

exactly as i said, a couple of good seasons and then he got distracted. do you justify reggie bush or the OSU players we didnt draft or others with similar black marks? if you fail to resist temptation (and as reported are at best a "4 letter word" to your peers) in school, and cant behave for 12 months to get 10+ million dollars simply by being drafted ... what does that say about his priorities? a diva has his interests ahead of his team's ... what were posey's stats as a senior? now tell me those numbers again while "i'd do it again" plays in the background.

kiwitexansfan
04-29-2012, 07:32 AM
Top of my head 3 games 2 TDs, certainly didn't get rusty with that time off.

Corrosion
04-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Top of my head 3 games 2 TDs, certainly didn't get rusty with that time off.

I think had he played his Sr year in its entirety he would have been the 3rd WR off the board behind Blackmon and Floyd.

Heard a podcast a while ago discussing Posey with a reporter who covers Ohio St. saying that the second suspension should have been overturned as his lawyer proved the violations to be false. The NCAA held firm on the suspension .... We as Texans fans should thank them.

I dont have a link to that podcast - think it was on CBSsports.com if someone wants to search for it.

As for the original suspension .... selling his own property?! ..... :kitten:

Grams
04-29-2012, 08:05 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2011/10/ohio_state_buckeyes_devier_pos.html

Here is info on 2nd 5 game suspension.

Corrosion
04-29-2012, 08:31 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2011/10/ohio_state_buckeyes_devier_pos.html

Here is info on 2nd 5 game suspension.

Good find.

A few quotes from the article -

James said he provided documentation that Posey was properly paid for his time working for an OSU booster

Bobby DiGeronimo, the owner of Independence Excavating and an OSU booster now disassociated by the school, said previously that Posey was paid properly. James said phone records and credit card records showed Posey worked as claimed. He also said the NCAA rule that players couldn't be paid more than $15 an hour did not account for the higher union wages that Posey had to be paid while working alongside union employees.

"I could try this case 100 times and 100 times I'd win it," James said. "The NCAA just ignored [the documentation]."

Honoring Earl 34
04-29-2012, 08:52 AM
I think had he played his Sr year in its entirety he would have been the 3rd WR off the board behind Blackmon and Floyd.

Heard a podcast a while ago discussing Posey with a reporter who covers Ohio St. saying that the second suspension should have been overturned as his lawyer proved the violations to be false. The NCAA held firm on the suspension .... We as Texans fans should thank them.

I dont have a link to that podcast - think it was on CBSsports.com if someone wants to search for it.

As for the original suspension .... selling his own property?! ..... :kitten:

When the Texans drafted JJ folks on this board had a hissy because they didn't take some guy from WSU who ran a good 40 . There was several other guys who I bet aren't in the league anymore that we were calling for . The Texans look for guys who are good route runners and not sprinters .

http://www.ourlads.com/nfl-combine-ratings/2012/

GuerillaBlack
04-29-2012, 09:36 AM
exactly as i said, a couple of good seasons and then he got distracted. do you justify reggie bush or the OSU players we didnt draft or others with similar black marks? if you fail to resist temptation (and as reported are at best a "4 letter word" to your peers) in school, and cant behave for 12 months to get 10+ million dollars simply by being drafted ... what does that say about his priorities? a diva has his interests ahead of his team's ... what were posey's stats as a senior? now tell me those numbers again while "i'd do it again" plays in the background.

So, because he sold his own merchandise and got a discount on tattoos, he is a trouble maker? What else horrible has he done that you know of? Was it working out and helping the team while he was on his suspension? Was it working out with Cris Carter? Was it giving the money to his mom? The guy put up pretty good numbers in a running offense. The games he played his senior year, he played well. I'm getting a Victor Cruz vibe from him in the Texans offense.

EllisUnit
04-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Those are his charges really :lol:

Come on now people, those are some of the most retarded charges i have ever heard of, and to think Ray Lewis was an accused murder at one time :kubepalm: and some of you are sweating this crap ??? Get over it people you all act as if you have never done anything worse. I do worse things on a daily basis !!!!

Playoffs
04-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Not that he's worth a sh!t, but Kiper on Posey:

He's not a great value at No. 68 overall, but I'm intrigued by the DeVier Posey pick. He had to sit out so many games last year I don't think scouts saw enough of him. He has really good hands, can create some matchup problems, and might be a little underrated in his ability to stretch the field.

thunderkyss
04-29-2012, 12:10 PM

Let's think about that.

Jacoby has not had any off-field incidents last year, not that I know of & that's the knucklehead stuff that Andre's influence is supposed to help.

He makes some interesting decisions when it comes to returning punts. But hopefully we've got someone who can actually get on the field & take that duty from him.

Jacoby isn't a #2 reciever, Andre did his best, but it just isn't meant to be. However, he is a better receiver, much better receiver than he was when he got here.

Posey has already garnered the reputation of a hardworker, a team player, & a family man. All that other stuff will work itself out.

Rey
04-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Hopefully we can still trade jacoby and usher in this young group of wr's.

Yankee_In_TX
04-29-2012, 01:02 PM
If people on here are still complaining about this pick because of the suspensions, well, we'll agree to disagree (with you being wrong).

The Pencil Neck
04-29-2012, 01:31 PM
If this kid had played the whole season, his numbers project to 52 catches, 702 yards, and 8-9 TDs. That's in-line with his production in previous years. And that's on an offense that was DEAD LAST in the Big-10 in passing yardage. They ended up with only 1489 passing yards all season.

When I looked at the video, I thought he looked kinda slow until I realized that he was moving past the DBs. I think he's one of those guys with deceptive speed.

This pick isn't the normal Houston Texan 4-year starter, Big Conference Captain. But I think this guy could turn into a very good player for us.

And I don't care about those suspensions. I mean, really? Guys get suspensions for drug use and DUI and doing stupid stuff. This guy gets a suspension for selling stuff for more than it was worth and for getting paid a union wage to work. Really?

I think we got a steal. But with WRs, it's a tough call. WRs bust almost as much as NTs do.

Honoring Earl 34
04-29-2012, 01:41 PM
If people on here are still complaining about this pick because of the suspensions, well, we'll agree to disagree (with you being wrong).

I guess we've appeased the Coog , Aggie , and Buckhorn fans this year .:lol:

GP
04-29-2012, 01:47 PM

Finally. Someone who isn't going to rah-rah this pick "just because."

I have zero expectation of the guy. Until he's a weekly CONSISTENT part of the offense, to me he's a late round WR whom Smith gambled on about three rounds too early.

The rest of our draft was so solid, so reasonable in its nature (picks fitting instead of feeling forced) that I don't care that much about Posey. Does fine, then I'm wrong. Does poorly, then I'm right BUT we also got a 4th rounder out of the deal. That's my happy place.

Errant Hothy
04-29-2012, 01:58 PM

I'm curious how does still attending every practice when you know there is no chance of playing and at the same time finishing off your degree equate into having a "Jacoby" like head?

To me it shows character, committment to team and a desire to always be improving.

AMartin56
04-29-2012, 02:03 PM
This is the typical 'he didn't go to us or anyone near us in any of the major mock drafts' disappointment. People need to get over it. Saying he's a combination of Jacoby and Walter without seeing him play a down for the Texans is just absurd. And don't get me started on 'third round value'. It's not like we whiffed on a top ten first round pick.

None of the guys people wanted instead are sure things either. If anything we got two guys (Posey and Crick) that probably would have gone much higher if it wasn't for bad senior seasons (one for a non-drug/violence related suspension and the other for injury). I think that's something to be excited about until on the field performance proves otherwise.

gtexan02
04-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Other than the first two-four receivers off the board, the rest were a crapshoot in their order.

None of the "talking heads" expected Posey to go this high, and I'd wager the majority of NFL teams had significant variability in his ranking as well.

After the "can't miss" guys, success and predictability begins to depend on some very specific player-team combinations.

GuerillaBlack
04-29-2012, 02:13 PM
If this kid had played the whole season, his numbers project to 52 catches, 702 yards, and 8-9 TDs. That's in-line with his production in previous years. And that's on an offense that was DEAD LAST in the Big-10 in passing yardage. They ended up with only 1489 passing yards all season.

When I looked at the video, I thought he looked kinda slow until I realized that he was moving past the DBs. I think he's one of those guys with deceptive speed.

This pick isn't the normal Houston Texan 4-year starter, Big Conference Captain. But I think this guy could turn into a very good player for us.

And I don't care about those suspensions. I mean, really? Guys get suspensions for drug use and DUI and doing stupid stuff. This guy gets a suspension for selling stuff for more than it was worth and for getting paid a union wage to work. Really?

I think we got a steal. But with WRs, it's a tough call. WRs bust almost as much as NTs do.

He has Victor Cruz written all over him.

steelbtexan
04-29-2012, 02:23 PM

1 good S, 1 decent backup S, a nickle CB.

I wouldn't say Rick has done a good job of picking CB's.

Afterall he did give us the most pro ready CB in the daft. (KJ's great)

Dutchrudder
04-29-2012, 02:28 PM
I was reading some Browns forums, and several people were upset that the Browns traded back from 67 to 87 and picked up 120. The reason being that the Texans took Posey at 68. He's an Ohio guy, and people always like to get local players, but the big complaint was that he was seriously underrated due to the suspension. I'm hoping Kubiak is right about this kid, he may become our #2.

Rey
04-29-2012, 02:55 PM
He has #2 written all over him. I think both of the wr picks are going to contribute this year.

I'm really hoping we can trade jacoby.

drunkcookie
04-29-2012, 03:01 PM
He has #2 written all over him.
Yah, wasnt too sure about Posey at first, but watching more highlights and reading more gives me a positive feeling about his future here as a #2...the suspension crap? Meh, it's silly really...can he ball at WR?

We'll see, but i feel there's some hope there...

Playoffs
04-29-2012, 03:56 PM
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/04/28/tim-may-says-devier-posey-is-a-good-guy/

Columbus [Ohio] Dispatch’s Tim May on Devier Posey:

Humble, soft spoken, intelligent

One of my favorites I've ever covered at Ohio State since 1984

Nailed by NCAA for playing 5 holes of golf

His lawyer proved Posey worked the hours NCAA said he didn't

A lot of Ohio State players got the illegal free tattoos

Had 3 drops everyone remembers

Can stretch a defense, goes over the middle, runs great routes

Doesn't sound so evil after all. :hmmm:

The Pencil Neck
04-29-2012, 04:23 PM
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/04/28/tim-may-says-devier-posey-is-a-good-guy/

Columbus [Ohio] Dispatch’s Tim May on Devier Posey:

Humble, soft spoken, intelligent

One of my favorites I've ever covered at Ohio State since 1984

Nailed by NCAA for playing 5 holes of golf

His lawyer proved Posey worked the hours NCAA said he didn't

A lot of Ohio State players got the illegal free tattoos

Had 3 drops everyone remembers

Can stretch a defense, goes over the middle, runs great routes

Doesn't sound so evil after all. :hmmm:

Oops. I posted a link to this in its own thread. He also talks about Martin and what a great couple of WRs we got.

Grams
04-29-2012, 08:08 PM

Quinn was a 4th round pick, McCain was a 6th round and Nolan was a 7th round pick.

Not one of them are high round whiffs.

steelbtexan
04-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Quinn was a 4th round pick, McCain was a 6th round and Nolan was a 7th round pick.

Bong just types stuff. His memory appears to be a little fuzzy. He does no research.

But I bet he eats well. LOL

Lucky
04-29-2012, 08:21 PM

b0ng's sarcasm may be too subtle.

kiwitexansfan
04-29-2012, 08:23 PM
I think Posey enters the season as WR3. Walter is just to Texany to lose his spot, especially after taking his pay cut.

Corrosion
04-29-2012, 08:31 PM
I think Posey enters the season as WR3. Walter is just to Texany to lose his spot, especially after taking his pay cut.

Walter is just too good in the run game to lose his spot .... They use him to chip DE's and OLB's when he comes in motion quite often.
He may not be the fastest or biggest .... But I saw a stat somewhere a while back that he lead the NFL in percentage of catches to targets in 2010 with something rediculous like 71%. I found that a bit shocking ..... He wasnt as good last year but he also had Yates instead of Schaub for a big chunk of the season.

TejasTom
04-29-2012, 11:23 PM
From the
Battle Red Blog (http://www.battleredblog.com/2012/4/27/2982329/newest-texan-devier-posey) about half way down. I heard some of this same info on the radio.

"Posey was 3rd highest-ranked WR high school prospect in the country in 2008, right behind Julio Jones and AJ Green.
Pretty good company. His college career was going good (10.6 YPC in 2008, 13.8 YPC in 2009, 16.0 YPC in 2010) until the suspension in 2011. To put it in perspective, Julio Jones averaged less in 2010 (14.5 YPC in 2010), the year before he was drafted in the 1st round. AJ Green averaged less too (14.9 YPC) in 2010. This guy would have probably gone 1st round this draft if he had played."

ChampionTexan
04-30-2012, 12:02 AM

I think those are the free tattoos!

The Pencil Neck
04-30-2012, 12:06 AM

:kubepalm:

msr

Allstar
04-30-2012, 12:07 AM
:lol:

Rey
04-30-2012, 12:45 AM
Walter is just too good in the run game to lose his spot .... They use him to chip DE's and OLB's when he comes in motion quite often.
He may not be the fastest or biggest .... But I saw a stat somewhere a while back that he lead the NFL in percentage of catches to targets in 2010 with something rediculous like 71%. I found that a bit shocking ..... He wasnt as good last year but he also had Yates instead of Schaub for a big chunk of the season.

I don't know if Walter loses his spot but he shouldnt keep it based on his run blocking. He's a receiver.

The ideal role for Walter, IMO, would be as a short yardage slot receiver. Good hands, tough and like you said can run block if needed.

But I doubt they ask Walter to take a pay cut if they saw him as the for sure #2. They probably would have cut him if he refused.

The Pencil Neck
04-30-2012, 01:14 AM
I don't know if Walter loses his spot but he shouldnt keep it based on his run blocking. He's a receiver.

The ideal role for Walter, IMO, would be as a short yardage slot receiver. Good hands, tough and like you said can run block if needed.

But I doubt they ask Walter to take a pay cut if they saw him as the for sure #2. They probably would have cut him if he refused.

Yep. They have to expect him to be a situational player after this.

I think they expect Posey and Martin to be seeing the field. A lot.

I wonder if he got performance incentives built into the contract. Walter didn't do a lot as a receiver last year but he knows this offense and he performs a lot of functions in it. He's just reaching the end of his effective shelf-life and for a 7th round pick in 2003, he's had a heckuva career.

GP
04-30-2012, 01:16 AM

As in a #2 in the bathroom sense?

I can't wait to see him in a preseason game. That's when we'll know something about this guy. When the real NFL bullets start flying.

Rey
04-30-2012, 01:29 AM

I can't wait to see him in a preseason game. That's when we'll know something about this guy. When the real NFL bullets start flying.

#2 as in solid but not special. Really good with a slim chance if being great.

Good hands, good body control, nice size, good speed. The more I see the more I like. I think he and Martin will see some action this season.

No not action as in a hook up.

GP
04-30-2012, 01:34 AM
#2 as in solid but not special. Really good with a slim chance if being great.

Good hands, good body control, nice size, good speed. The more I see the more I like. I think he and Martin will see some action this season.

No not action as in a hook up.

One thing that IS good, unlike this new Jones kid who runs his mouth, is that the things Posey has said thus far...it sounds like he's learned and that he's ready to be for real.

This Jones kid, I swear, was Smith and Kubiak giving us a decoy to get off of Posey for awhile. He makes Posey look like Merlin Olsen.

Goldensilence
04-30-2012, 01:51 AM

The ideal Role for Walter is #3. He's a great possession receiver and is pretty large for a slot guy.His game is suited for a #3: great hands, isn't afraid to go over the middle, blocks in the run game, and knows where he is on the field.

I think drafting a guy like Posey is an indication of what this staff thinks of AJ and how much he has left in the tank as an elite WR. IMO if they drafted a guy like Hill or Randle, to me at least, its a good indication of not long as both physically have high ceilings. Posey strikes me a as developing into a good #2, but not #1.

Allstar
04-30-2012, 02:42 AM

Hopefully, but then again in Jacoby's first preseason he looked like a future superstar.

kiwitexansfan
04-30-2012, 03:36 AM
One thing that IS good, unlike this new Jones kid who runs his mouth, is that the things Posey has said thus far...it sounds like he's learned and that he's ready to be for real.

This Jones kid, I swear, was Smith and Kubiak giving us a decoy to get off of Posey for awhile. He makes Posey look like Merlin Olsen.

Couldn't agree more.

TejasTom
04-30-2012, 08:45 AM

It is still unclear to me if got a free tattoo. In all the reports I could find they lump the 5 players together and say they received free or discounted tattoos and cash for memorbilia.

In an interview on 610, Posey said he sold his ring to keep his mother's electricity from being disconnected. I didn't hear the entire segment so I don't know if they asked him about tattoos.

Did anyone else hear Posey discuss the tattoos?

Corrosion
04-30-2012, 09:02 AM

Did Posey help Daryl Morey steal your dog ? :corrosion:

Yankee_In_TX
04-30-2012, 09:04 AM
It is still unclear to me if got a free tattoo. In all the reports I could find they lump the 5 players together and say they received free or discounted tattoos and cash for memorbilia.

In an interview on 610, Posey said he sold his ring to keep his mother's electricity from being disconnected. I didn't hear the entire segment so I don't know if they asked him about tattoos.

Did anyone else hear Posey discuss the tattoos?

He was a part of tattoogate. That was suspension one. Suspension 2 was for being overpaid while working for a booster. The story on the street is that he was not overpaid, they had proof and the NCAA screwed him.

They we giving jerseys, autographs, etc. to a guy who owned a tattoo shop who was being investigated by the FBI for drugs. They also sold rings and gold pants - don't know who the buyers were. NCAA said you can't sell that stuff even though it is yours.

Guys gets popped, his attorney tells Tressel that the guys has info on player, Tressel lies, and the rest is history.

http://sportsbybrooks.com/tag/Devier_Posey_Tattoo

TejasTom
04-30-2012, 09:37 AM

The pic of him getting a tattoo from Rife clears that up, thanks.

chenjy9
04-30-2012, 09:55 AM
I am confused by some of you guys talking about Posey having character issues? He first got suspended selling his ring and gold pants pendant thing for money to help out his mom and some tattoos. Yes NCAA is retarded (see Arian's rant on NCAA, he touches on this) and does not allow student athletes to sell their own property so in that respect, Posey did wrong, but I would hardly count that as any sort of "character issues." It's not as if he stole the stuff and then sold it or did drugs or endangered anyone's lives. He simply sold HIS jewelery. As for his 2nd suspension, that was just bogus. He got paid more because that was what the dude had to pay all his workers due to some union policy. He even provided the proper paperwork to the NCAA and they simply did not care. Again, this has nothing to do with any character issues at all, just honest financial needs. If that is all we have to worry about, once he signs his first rookie contract, he won't have to worry about any of that anymore.

Just touching back, but come on guys, there are a LOT WORSE off field behavior problems that would concern me far more than what this guy had done, which in all honesty, was nothing bad.

GP
04-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Did Posey help Daryl Morey steal your dog ? :corrosion:

I think Morey made the Posey pick now that you bring it up. Reeks of a Morey selection.

SheTexan
04-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Doesn't really matter now. He's OUR's like it or not.

Yank! You and Linds must be really happy with this draft! Posey and Crick!:)

ObsiWan
04-30-2012, 10:20 AM
He was a part of tattoogate. That was suspension one. Suspension 2 was for being overpaid while working for a booster. The story on the street is that he was not overpaid, they had proof and the NCAA screwed him.

They we giving jerseys, autographs, etc. to a guy who owned a tattoo shop who was being investigated by the FBI for drugs. They also sold rings and gold pants - don't know who the buyers were. NCAA said you can't sell that stuff even though it is yours.

Guys gets popped, his attorney tells Tressel that the guys has info on player, Tressel lies, and the rest is history.

That's the part that really chaps my hide. How the hell can the tell me I can't sell what legally belongs to me. That frikkin' smacks of slavery.

pirbroke
04-30-2012, 10:21 AM
I am confused by some of you guys talking about Posey having character issues? He first got suspended selling his ring and gold pants pendant thing for money to help out his mom and some tattoos. Yes NCAA is retarded (see Arian's rant on NCAA, he touches on this) and does not allow student athletes to sell their own property so in that respect, Posey did wrong, but I would hardly count that as any sort of "character issues." It's not as if he stole the stuff and then sold it or did drugs or endangered anyone's lives. He simply sold HIS jewelery. As for his 2nd suspension, that was just bogus. He got paid more because that was what the dude had to pay all his workers due to some union policy. He even provided the proper paperwork to the NCAA and they simply did not care. Again, this has nothing to do with any character issues at all, just honest financial needs. If that is all we have to worry about, once he signs his first rookie contract, he won't have to worry about any of that anymore.

Just touching back, but come on guys, there are a LOT WORSE off field behavior problems that would concern me far more than what this guy had done, which in all honesty, was nothing bad.

agree 100%, It's like whooo, we are drafting a man who tried to do extra and got a good job, Sounds to me that is exactly the type of person I want, not the opposite.

Corrosion
04-30-2012, 10:37 AM

Most people's dislike of the Posey pick has nothing to do with his "character issues.

Its the fact that never did a single talking head mention him in the same sentence as Randall , Jeffery , Wright, Hill or Sanu.

Not a single person (outside myself) even mentioned him prior to the draft in the mock section. Everyone thinks its a reach but they dont realize the type of production he put up in the Big Ten's worst passing offense .... with a horrible QB.
When you take the numbers from the three games he played as Sr and translate them across the full season - those totals would have been greater than 50% of that teams entire passing offense. He put up those same numbers the two years prior too .....

People listen to the talking heads when they say he's scared to go across the middle .... they dont go look at film and see he made a living going across the middle and up the seams .... when he wasnt blowing past DB's on the outside and took some big hits in the process.

Everyone wanted Wright , Randall or Hill .... wont it be a shock when he is better than all of the above ?

speedfreek
04-30-2012, 11:19 AM
What we really need is for Posey, a 'budding' star early in his college career, to 'blossom' into a legit #2 WR, and then stay 'rooted' in that position.

Kubiak has planted the 'seed', now let's just hope he doesn't 'soil' himself..

Nyuk.. nyuk..
TJ

chenjy9
04-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Most people's dislike of the Posey pick has nothing to do with his "character issues.

Its the fact that never did a single talking head mention him in the same sentence as Randall , Jeffery , Wright, Hill or Sanu.

Not a single person (outside myself) even mentioned him prior to the draft in the mock section. Everyone thinks its a reach but they dont realize the type of production he put up in the Big Ten's worst passing offense .... with a horrible QB.
When you take the numbers from the three games he played as Sr and translate them across the full season - those totals would have been greater than 50% of that teams entire passing offense. He put up those same numbers the two years prior too .....

People listen to the talking heads when they say he's scared to go across the middle .... they dont go look at film and see he made a living going across the middle and up the seams .... when he wasnt blowing past DB's on the outside and took some big hits in the process.

Everyone wanted Wright , Randall or Hill .... wont it be a shock when he is better than all of the above ?

I understand that. I am confused however by people talking about him having character issues due to his suspensions when they had nothing to do with "character."

76Texan
04-30-2012, 01:20 PM
OK, so I have gone back and reviewed his first 6 games in the 2010 season and the 3 games he played last year; I like him a lot.

In the 3 games in 2011 alone, he could have had at least 6 more receptions (3 TDs), and about 150-200 yards if the QB was a little better (all I ask for is the combination of LSU QBs).

There was one blemish in 2011.
He did commit a fumble when he didn't secure the ball while working to gain more yards after the catch. The CB recovered and poked a hand in to jar the ball loose after Posey had taken several steps.

Posey's measurables are better than Rueben Randle pretty much across the board. From his 40 speed, to the 10-yd split, vertical, broad jump, SS, to the 3-cone.

Randle is a little more than an inch taller, and has better arm length; however, Posey makes up for those two factors with much better jumping ability and his wingspan (Randle probably has a narrower frame, or perhaps one of his arms is shorter than the other one - this is a medical fact about the human body.)

Posey hands' are slighty bigger than Randle's.

The Pencil Neck
04-30-2012, 01:26 PM
I understand that. I am confused however by people talking about him having character issues due to his suspensions when they had nothing to do with "character."

There are so many athletes who are self-destructive and think that the rules don't apply to them. And some people think that Posey's breaking the rules could reflect exactly that sort of fault. They're saying he should have known the rules and he should have known better than to violate them.

I'm not one of those guys but that's their argument. It has merit. I just don't think that it applies to this kid in this situation.

In the second suspension, I think he really feels that he didn't break any rules.

I don't think this kid has any character issues. The more I see about this pick, the more I like it. I hope he steps up and outperforms everyone's expectations.

76Texan
04-30-2012, 01:41 PM
In the early part of the 2010 season, Posey was already a good route runner.
His production would have been a whole lot better had he played on an offense like Okl. St. or Baylor.

He shows the ability to get seperation at the top of the route as he goes in and out of the break smoothly.
He can drive the CB downfield with good acceleration and then make a clean break to either side, or come back smoothly, leaving a big gap between him and the defender. (Deep-Ins, deep outs, comebackers, hitches.)

He has a good double move that he uses to his advantage on the corner, post and post-corner routes.

He runs an effective fade route in the red zone.

He leaves enough room along the side-line to help his QB; he can adjust his routes as he sees the throw or in instances where the QB was under pressure, and he knows when to play defensive football to prevent an INT.

In those first 6 games of the 2010 season, I did see him drop a ball; it was a short stop route where he was wide open; he just took his eyes off the ball looking to make a football move a bit too soon.
On a slant route, he didn't catch a "hot" ball ("too hot" was the term used by the commentator).
Again, he was wide-open; he probably expected the QB to take a little off the ball as there was no need to drive it.

He's a good college blocker.
He was instrumental in the 2 TD runs (and others) in the 3 games he played in 2011.

Yes, he does need to play until the whistle blow and he needs to actively engage his block better; but those are the things common at the collegiate level (heck, even in the pros - ie., all the Texans receivers and TEs in the early part of their career.)

I did see Posey engage in some heated battles with the CBs and safeties.
He will be fine.

I don't see the comparison with Gaffney in the middle in any of the 9 games I've watched so far; Posey can go inside.

Yankee_In_TX
04-30-2012, 02:10 PM
...and since this thread is still going strong Posey put up those numbers with Pryor as QB..... Imagine what he can do with an NFL QB?

Blake
04-30-2012, 02:35 PM
I will try to root for the kid, even though he went to OSU. I mean, not everyone is perfect. ;)

Goldensilence
04-30-2012, 03:38 PM
I think some of the blacklash or mistrust for the pick resides in he wasn't in mention with the other second tier WRs in the draft like Hill, Randle, or Sanu. What makes them all kind of strange is none of them come from notable passing teams really. Theres also conflicting reports of what his 40 time really is. Fair or not as well, there is speculation he could've dropped much further than where we picked him. So there's a question of value.

Part of it is no matter how you feel about it, he was right in the middle of the scandal that cost Jim Tressel his job and missed large parts of his senior year. This makes him hard to evaluate because you're forced to really depend on what he did his junior season.

Playoffs
04-30-2012, 03:56 PM
OK, so I have gone back and reviewed his first 6 games in the 2010 season and the 3 games he played last year; I like him a lot.

In the 3 games in 2011 alone, he could have had at least 6 more receptions (3 TDs), and about 150-200 yards if the QB was a little better (all I ask for is the combination of LSU QBs).

There was one blemish in 2011.
He did commit a fumble when he didn't secure the ball while working to gain more yards after the catch. The CB recovered and poked a hand in to jar the ball loose after Posey had taken several steps.

Posey's measurables are better than Rueben Randle pretty much across the board. From his 40 speed, to the 10-yd split, vertical, broad jump, SS, to the 3-cone.

Randle is a little more than an inch taller, and has better arm length; however, Posey makes up for those two factors with much better jumping ability and his wingspan (Randle probably has a narrower frame, or perhaps one of his arms is shorter than the other one - this is a medical fact about the human body.)

Posey hands' are slighty bigger than Randle's.

In the early part of the 2010 season, Posey was already a good route runner.
His production would have been a whole lot better had he played on an offense like Okl. St. or Baylor.

He shows the ability to get seperation at the top of the route as he goes in and out of the break smoothly.
He can drive the CB downfield with good acceleration and then make a clean break to either side, or come back smoothly, leaving a big gap between him and the defender. (Deep-Ins, deep outs, comebackers, hitches.)

He has a good double move that he uses to his advantage on the corner, post and post-corner routes.

He runs an effective fade route in the red zone.

He leaves enough room along the side-line to help his QB; he can adjust his routes as he sees the throw or in instances where the QB was under pressure, and he knows when to play defensive football to prevent an INT.

In those first 6 games of the 2010 season, I did see him drop a ball; it was a short stop route where he was wide open; he just took his eyes off the ball looking to make a football move a bit too soon.
On a slant route, he didn't catch a "hot" ball ("too hot" was the term used by the commentator).
Again, he was wide-open; he probably expected the QB to take a little off the ball as there was no need to drive it.

He's a good college blocker.
He was instrumental in the 2 TD runs (and others) in the 3 games he played in 2011.

Yes, he does need to play until the whistle blow and he needs to actively engage his block better; but those are the things common at the collegiate level (heck, even in the pros - ie., all the Texans receivers and TEs in the early part of their career.)

I did see Posey engage in some heated battles with the CBs and safeties.
He will be fine.

I don't see the comparison with Gaffney in the middle in any of the 9 games I've watched so far; Posey can go inside.
Great stuff. 76T! :bravo:

Repped.

Señor Stan
04-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Given what I have read about his pro day, I don't think he would have lasted until the Texans next pick.

Heck AJ Jenkins went in Round 1.
Quick went as the top pick in Round 2.

Then guys that a lot of us had on our lists went waaay later than we thought...

Nick Toon - Late 4th
Marvin Jones - Late 5th
Juron Criner - Late 5th
Tommy Streeter - Late 5th
Marvin McNutt - Late 6th

The Pencil Neck
04-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Given what I have read about his pro day, I don't think he would have lasted until the Texans next pick.

Nick Toon - Late 4th
Marvin Jones - Late 5th
Juron Criner - Late 5th
Marvin McNutt - Late 6th

And this is what I've been saying. A lot of these guys that we would have been pleased to get in the 2nd or 3rd because that's where we'd seen them mocked, were not ranked that highly by ANY of the teams. That means there's probably something on these guys that we, the public, didn't know or take into account.

Last night, I threw together some numbers and the Pundits (talking Walterfootball, CBS Draft, etc.) usually have most of the guys who are going to be drafted but in a different order than they're drafted. The PRODUCTION of the guys that are drafted generally line up with the way they're drafted. In other words, normally the higher the pick, the more they produce although there are a few outliers. (Like Sanzenbacher last year who went undrafted and had a little production, the pundits had him being drafted late but he wasn't drafted at all.) And that means that the way the teams rank these guys is probably closer to "reality" than the way the pundits rank them. (Although, it might just mean that earlier picks are given more opportunities because of their draft status.)

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out this year.

Rey
04-30-2012, 05:02 PM

Nick Toon - Late 4th
Marvin Jones - Late 5th
Juron Criner - Late 5th
Marvin McNutt - Late 6th

I think AJ Jenkins was the biggest surprise.

THe rest of those guys went about where they were slotted according to the rankings that I saw...

Corrosion
04-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Great stuff. 76T! :bravo:

Repped.

At least I dont feel like Im on an island defending this pick anymore ..... Me and 76 will take our lumps and laugh when the pindits eat crow.

I sure didnt get much credit for nailing the pick - Posey in the 3rd.

GP
04-30-2012, 05:17 PM
At least I dont feel like Im on an island defending this pick anymore ..... Me and 76 will take our lumps and laugh when the pindits eat crow.

I sure didnt get much credit for nailing the pick - Posey in the 3rd.

For someone who says we shouldn't over value "our guy" you sure boast a lot about nailing the Posey pick. LOL.

And from where I stand, you guys are not in the minority here on this issue. It's easily 85% pro and 15% con on the Posey pick. To say you guys have been on an island defending the pick is not accurate.

GP
04-30-2012, 05:19 PM
And this is what I've been saying. A lot of these guys that we would have been pleased to get in the 2nd or 3rd because that's where we'd seen them mocked, were not ranked that highly by ANY of the teams. That means there's probably something on these guys that we, the public, didn't know or take into account.

Or...maybe the Posey pick by Houston started the run on WRs?????

Happens all the time. Teams are drafting for need and WRs are deep and plentiful, so teams naturally held off as long as they could before starting the run on WRs.

Not saying it's true, but saying it's really, really plausible.

Corrosion
04-30-2012, 05:56 PM
For someone who says we shouldn't over value "our guy" you sure boast a lot about nailing the Posey pick. LOL.

I never said Posey was "Our Guy" .... but it has been pointed out that his measurables were better than those of Randall .... who many wanted to take in the first round.

As for my statement of not getting much credit for calling the pick .... There was only one other person mock or otherwise who nailed a pick .... and that was Yaky calling the 6th round pick of Mondek.

As for the general concensus , I feel like most dont like the pick .... especially those who actively participate in the draft forums. Infact , not a single one of them mentioned Posey .... when I mentioned him , it was met with opposition.

Rmartin , Badboy , You and SteelBlue all disapprove .....

But hey , I nailed the Ben Tate pick year before last too .... while the vast majority were calling for Gerhart ..... who's laughing now ?! .....Best 1-2 RB combo in the entire NFL.

I must admit , I have an advantage ....

Its not so difficult to call a #1 .... but a 3 ? Thats impressive and a #6 is downright clairvoyant.

Props Yaky ....

rmartin65
04-30-2012, 06:07 PM
As for the general concensus , I feel like most dont like the pick .... especially those who actively participate in the draft forums. Infact , not a single one of them mentioned Posey .... when I mentioned him , it was met with opposition.

But hey , I nailed the Ben Tate pick year before last too .... while the vast majority were calling for Gerhart ..... who's laughing now ?! .....Best 1-2 RB combo in the entire NFL.

Its not so difficult to call a #1 .... but a 3 ? Thats impressive and a #6 is downright clairvoyant.

Props Yaky ....

I still think Gerhart would have as much, if not more, success behind our line as Tate has. And that is nothing against Tate. I think a large, large part of our RBs success is the system we have installed. It is very reminiscent of the 90s Broncos were it was very much a plug and chug type of deal.

As for calling the pick- congrats! I know how hard it is, especially later in the draft. Yaky gets mad props too. But I had a stretch of 3 years where my last published mock of the year had one player the Texans drafted in the round I had him predicted- Barwin, Holliday, Watt. By the way, could you link me to your mock? I would be interested in reading who else you had. I dont remember reading it, but there were so many mocks coming out before the draft that it could have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Thanks!

GP
04-30-2012, 06:11 PM
I never said Posey was "Our Guy" .... but it has been pointed out that his measurables were better than those of Randall .... who many wanted to take in the first round.

As for my statement of not getting much credit for calling the pick .... There was only one other person mock or otherwise who nailed a pick .... and that was Yaky calling the 6th round pick of Mondek.

Props Yaky ....

I called Chris Johnson as a first rounder when mockers here said no way he goes in the first (they said 2nd round at best). Sun shines on a dog's ass every now and then. No big deal.

Anybody starts nailing multiple picks in consecutive drafts and THEN I'll be impressed. Until then, we're all the same dudes doing the same things.

I have a problem with the Posey pick for multiple reasons, not JUST that he wasn't my guy at that spot. I have stated those multiple reasons and stood by them steadfastly. It is what it is, and the major upside is that we got Jared Crick as added padding for "if" Posey flops.

Missing 10 full games last year is the major gripe I have. It's offset by his prior production in what has been described as not a WR-friendly offense at OSU. But still, the suspension for multiple rules violations...missing 10 games because of it...and inconsistencies in scouting reports is the three-legged stool I'm sitting upon.

Overall, I can swallow my pride and watch him this summer knowing full well that he could be better than what I think he is. I welcome it because it means the Texans will be better as a result of it. Right now, I just have doubts.

Corrosion
04-30-2012, 06:30 PM
I still think Gerhart would have as much, if not more, success behind our line as Tate has. And that is nothing against Tate. I think a large, large part of our RBs success is the system we have installed. It is very reminiscent of the 90s Broncos were it was very much a plug and chug type of deal.

As for calling the pick- congrats! I know how hard it is, especially later in the draft. Yaky gets mad props too. But I had a stretch of 3 years where my last published mock of the year had one player the Texans drafted in the round I had him predicted- Barwin, Holliday, Watt. By the way, could you link me to your mock? I would be interested in reading who else you had. I dont remember reading it, but there were so many mocks coming out before the draft that it could have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Thanks!

You and I went back and forth on Tate / Gerhart .... that entire draft season. But I"ll agree that had we chosen Gerhart , the results would likely be the same , was just pointing out that I called "That pick in that position in the draft."

You and I have had multiple years of predicting Texans picks in specific rounds .... track records not many can compete with .... I cant think of more than a handful of us here (even when this was the "official forum") who have ever called a particular pick in a particular round - First round included. (Kiaser Toro and Morknolle were the only two that nailed the MW pick - and that was #1 overall , shows how difficult it is).

My last post wasnt really directed at anyone but GP .... who has never called a Texans pick for insinuating no credit was due for calling my shot on Posey. The sun sets on a dogs ass .... bla bla bla.

When it comes to draft boards and Mock's in particular .... there are probably 5-6 guy's threads I read .... the rest get ignored (Yaky , you just got added to the read list).You know I read you , BL and Steve's mocks as I almost always comment in them .... Respect is earned , you three in particular have earned it over multiple years with your relentless efforts.

GP ..... call your shot.