PDA

View Full Version : Draft day 2. Who do you want?

VTexan
04-27-2012, 12:00 PM
A lot of talent left on the board. Would love to see a move like last year (trading back up into the 2nd round to get a player they like). For WR I would take Jeffery or Mcnutt in the 2nd or Broyles in the 3rd. I want to stay far away from Randle and Hill as possible.

Who do you want TT?

eriadoc
04-27-2012, 12:02 PM
I didn't want him in the first round, but in the second, I'd like Fleener. Short of that, one of the WRs or a DT.

since02
04-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Trade up, snag randle or fleener

Dutchrudder
04-27-2012, 12:11 PM
If NT Jerel Worthy falls to us in the 2nd, I would be all over that.

NT Brandon Thompson would also be nice, WR Brian Quick seems to have a lot of potential.

OT Mitchell Schwartz would be great too. Admittedly, I like him a lot just because I love that name, Schwartz. It makes me think of Spaceballs. I'm hoping we get him in the 3rd, or from a trade up of our 3rd. If we don't get him though, then he will become my father's, brother's, nephew's, cousin's former roommate, which makes him absolutely nothing!!!

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/May_the_schwartz_be_with_you_1024x7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ__Q-_QLj4

clutch
04-27-2012, 12:19 PM
WR randle or hill

HOU-TEX
04-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Who do I want?

Unless there's an awesome WR or G that falls, I'd go Dline. But that's just me.

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm looking for a WR. There are several and it depends on who falls to us.

I'd love to get Fleener but I don't think he's going to drop to us and I'm not sure it's worth it to trade up for him.

Other than that, I'd like OG, RT, DT, or possibly ILB. Don't know this draft well enough to target any particular guy.

ChampionTexan
04-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Not sure if it's realistic, but I'd love to see Massie fall to us at #58.

HOU-TEX
04-27-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm looking for a WR. There are several and it depends on who falls to us.

I'd love to get Fleener but I don't think he's going to drop to us and I'm not sure it's worth it to trade up for him.

Other than that, I'd like OG, RT, DT, or possibly ILB. Don't know this draft well enough to target any particular guy.

I betcha there's going to be a run on WR's and T's at the top of the 2nd. Not really much to do with your post, but piggy-backed it anyway. :)

Vinny
04-27-2012, 12:37 PM
I betcha there's going to be a run on WR's and T's at the top of the 2nd. Not really much to do with your post, but piggy-backed it anyway. :)we won't pick a wr till the early 3rd...book it. :)

TheGoldenGreek
04-27-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm hoping to see a deal along the lines of us giving the Rams our 26th pick in the second round and 13th pick in the third round for the Rams' 7th pick in the second round.

At that point I'd hope the Texans take the best available of Cordy Glenn, Jonathan Martin, Rueben Randle, or Stephen Hill.

Marcus
04-27-2012, 01:01 PM
I would wager that there is not one single NFL fan that doesn't want their team to trade up in the 2nd round, because they're afraid that the one they want won't be there.

I think they are staying put at 26.

brad77
04-27-2012, 01:11 PM
I'm hoping to see a deal along the lines of us giving the Rams our 26th pick in the second round and 13th pick in the third round for the Rams' 7th pick in the second round.

At that point I'd hope the Texans take the best available of Cordy Glenn, Jonathan Martin, Rueben Randle, or Stephen Hill.

I agree completely. I don't understand why there is a need to draft Fleener at this point to add depth when we have a need to fill with a solid WR2. Right now we are going to be in trouble if we loose Andre again. I would like to see the Texans pick up another guy that is big and physical like Andre. What better mentor for a guy like Hill than AJ.

I hope to see some movement toward a big physical receiver in the next round. I think that Brisell was undrafted, and we picked up Meyers late, like in the 5th round. Why would we draft these positions so early? Please someone help me to understand why we should draft depth at tight end or at oline before we address our need for targets down field. I ask this because I have seen alot of folks say they wanted to see fleener drafted in the first round.

badboy
04-27-2012, 01:14 PM
we won't pick a wr till the early 3rd...book it. :)

I'm saying 4th. I want NT Brandon Thompson #58 and Derek Wolfe #76 to replace Cody and Smith 2013.

4 a OT/OG Zebrie Sanders 4b Ryan Broyles.

WR will be hit hard today.

paycheck71
04-27-2012, 01:14 PM

At that pace, the rams will end up with every pick in the last 2 rounds...

badboy
04-27-2012, 01:18 PM
I agree completely. I don't understand why there is a need to draft Fleener at this point to add depth when we have a need to fill with a solid WR2. Right now we are going to be in trouble if we loose Andre again. I would like to see the Texans pick up another guy that is big and physical like Andre. What better mentor for a guy like Hill than AJ.

I hope to see some movement toward a big physical receiver in the next round. I think that Brisell was undrafted, and we picked up Meyers late, like in the 5th round. Why would we draft these positions so early? Please someone help me to understand why we should draft depth at tight end or at oline before we address our need for targets down field. I ask this because I have seen alot of folks say they wanted to see fleener drafted in the first round.Obviously you know little about Fleener? WHile he is listed as a TE he is WR in our system, bigger and faster than Andre Johnson who could in two years move AJ to WR2. If not, he is definitely a WR2. If there #58, trumps ever WR available.

Also Myers was a trade pick up from Denver we got for a 6th. Best trade Texans ever made.

nero THE zero
04-27-2012, 01:28 PM
In order of preference:

Amini Silatolu
Derek Wolfe
Mohammed Sanu
Alshon Jeffrey

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2012, 01:32 PM

I hope to see some movement toward a big physical receiver in the next round. I think that Brisell was undrafted, and we picked up Meyers late, like in the 5th round. Why would we draft these positions so early? Please someone help me to understand why we should draft depth at tight end or at oline before we address our need for targets down field. I ask this because I have seen alot of folks say they wanted to see fleener drafted in the first round.

Because Fleener's not depth. He's an immediate starter.

Last season, we played 2, 3, and 4 TE sets probably more than any other team in the league. We started at least 5 games in a 2 TE set. But if you limit yourself to thinking "this guy is a TE", then you're missing the point.

Fleener, like Casey and OD, can line up in a variety of places. He can line up as a TE or he can split out and become a WR. He can probably fill an H-back position. He creates match-up problems that Kubiak can use in his formations.

He, effectively, becomes our WR2.

Last year, we had Dreessen in that role. He's gone. Right this second, we've got Garrett Graham taking Dreessen's spot but Garrett Graham hasn't stepped up so far and lived up to his "second coming of OD" billing.

With Fleener, we immediately upgrade Dreesen's position at least from an athletic standpoint. Fleener may well be a better TE option than OD even when OD is healthy.

BUT... I expect Fleener to go to the Colts at this point.

TimeKiller
04-27-2012, 01:35 PM
In order of preference:

Amini Silatolu
Derek Wolfe
Mohammed Sanu
Alshon Jeffrey

Something like this for me too. Maybe if Bobby Massie falls. Or Jared Crick. Tons of good players still available and we're assured two of them.

Thorn
04-27-2012, 01:35 PM
I'd go O line first if there's a good one avaliable. After that a good WR if there is one avaliable worth the pick. After that, BPA. LOL

The1ApplePie
04-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Wouldn't be mad if the Texans took Jerrad Crick if all the second round WRs were gone.

El Tejano
04-27-2012, 01:58 PM
I'll Mitchell Schwartz OT Cal and either Marvin Jones WR Cal or Brian Quick Wr Appalachian St.

Goatcheese
04-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Kendal Reyes - Good rotation player who is more disruptive presence than play maker. He made O-linemen look stupid at the Senior Bowl. Strong and wins his battles in tight spaces. Controls his area and is physical against the run. Can backup either DE position in the 3-4.

HOU-TEX
04-27-2012, 02:24 PM

And I dig that.

Playoffs
04-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Offense
Higher Priority: OT:Jonathan Martin, Cordy Glenn

Offense
Medium Priority: WR: Stephen Hill, Rueben Randle/TE: Coby Fleener/OT:Mike Adams

silvrhand
04-27-2012, 02:42 PM

Last season, we played 2, 3, and 4 TE sets probably more than any other team in the league. We started at least 5 games in a 2 TE set. But if you limit yourself to thinking "this guy is a TE", then you're missing the point.

Fleener, like Casey and OD, can line up in a variety of places. He can line up as a TE or he can split out and become a WR. He can probably fill an H-back position. He creates match-up problems that Kubiak can use in his formations.

Last year, we had Dreessen in that role. He's gone. Right this second, we've got Garrett Graham taking Dreessen's spot but Garrett Graham hasn't stepped up so far and lived up to his "second coming of OD" billing.

With Fleener, we immediately upgrade Dreesen's position at least from an athletic standpoint. Fleener may well be a better TE option than OD even when OD is healthy.

If we get another TE I'm going to divide by 0, the main reason we played so many TE's was cause that's all we had at some point. We need an upgrade over JJ/KW more than we do over worrying about losing Dressen.

Rey
04-27-2012, 03:08 PM

When did we play 4 TE sets? And honestly, How often did we even go to 3?

Playoffs
04-27-2012, 03:35 PM
When did we play 4 TE sets?I think we'd need to add some TEs to get to a 4 TE set. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/Soizic22/a%20smilie/laugh-1.gif

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2012, 03:35 PM

Obviously, goal line and short yardage but we also run it on "normal" down and distance situations between the twenties. And we do it fairly often.

Remember way back in... 2007?... first game of the season against the Chiefs. We lined up with 1 WR (AJ) and 3 TEs (1 of those TEs might have been a FB lined up in a TE position) with everyone except Andre tight. The Chiefs bit on that run fake so hard it was silly and we hit AJ for that 70-80 yard TD.

Sometimes we line KW up in a TE type of position and make him perform TE functions. We were frequently lining up with Casey, Dreessen, and OD. Graham got out there occasionally although he didn't do much. We used to run 4 TE more in the past on those rare occasions when Hill was healthy.

I think one of the reasons KW is still our WR2 -- besides the fact that Jacoby hasn't developed the way we would have liked -- is because he's big enough and a good enough blocker to perform those TE types of functions.

After the draft, I'll go through a game or two and count up the different alignments.

Wolf6151
04-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Rick Smith needs to do whatever is necessary to get an extra 2nd round pick, you did it last year Rick. In the 2nd round I want 2 of the following players.

Jonathan Martin-OT or Bobby Massie-OT
Jerel Worthy-DT or Brandon Thompson-DT

Come on Rick you got us two 2nd round picks last year, do it again. One of the above listed OT's and one of the DT's would solidify our O-line and D-line and vastly improve our depth at OT, DT, and DE with the move of Mitchell to DE depth. Come on Rick get er' done.

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2012, 03:45 PM
I think we'd need to add some TEs to get to a 4 TE set. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/Soizic22/a%20smilie/laugh-1.gif

Exactly. Since we lost Dreessen, we have to add another TE to be able to get into 4 TE sets.

Maddict5
04-27-2012, 03:49 PM
I want a trade up to get randle or hill.

Im gonna get staying where we are and taking the best o-lineman/de and one of the lesser wrs in the 3rd (which im ok with btw)

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2012, 03:51 PM

I just looked at the first series of the Titans game.

We were in a 2 TE set for 5 of those plays. And we went to a 3 TE set for 1.

And that was with no OD and not counting when Casey lined up at FB.

fiasco west
04-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Would love to get Fleener. I think he'd work out the same as adding another WR. On offense I just look at it like you should be adding weapons. No matter if you need a WR,QB,HB whatever...just add players that can make plays and Fleener is that. Elite TEs can have a huge impact, just look at last year when you see Gronk and Brady, Brees and Graham. Also look at some of the best Offenses in the league over the years they usually have a elite TE.

Don't see him dropping to us though...I see no way he does and we'd have to move up a lot just to get him.

RT22
04-27-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm thinking at #58 Alameda Ta'amu DL Washington and at#76 Brian Quick WR Appalachian St.

Rey
04-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Obviously, goal line and short yardage but we also run it on "normal" down and distance situations between the twenties. And we do it fairly often.

I don't recall running three TE's "fairly often" and I honestly don't ever remember seeing 4 TE's on the field.

But whatever, no biggie.

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2012, 04:12 PM
I don't recall running three TE's "fairly often" and I honestly don't ever remember seeing 4 TE's on the field.

But whatever, no biggie.

Well, no, it is kind of a biggie because if I'm right, then the TE position is more important than some people think it is and losing Dreessen was more of a blow than some people think it was. I think this multi-TE strategy is something that Kubes uses to sell the run game and get the rollouts working better and it's an important part of our game.

That's why I think that Fleener would be such a good fit but also why I expect at least 1 TE (maybe Hanna) to be drafted this year and I still expect us to pick up a FA TE, as well.

PapaL
04-27-2012, 04:16 PM
C Peter Konz and then WR Brian Quick are my picks.

ChampionTexan
04-27-2012, 04:16 PM
I just looked at the first series of the Titans game.

We were in a 2 TE set for 5 of those plays. And we went to a 3 TE set for 1.

And that was with no OD and not counting when Casey lined up at FB.

While I think it may be pretty expensive to trade up for Fleener, I would have zero problem if Rick was able to pull it off.

Last season, the Texans threw 6 TD passes in the red zone. One of those went to OD, one of those went to Bryant Johnson, and the other four went to Dreessen.

At 6'6", I think Fleener would give us a target in the Redzone that could not only fill the void Dreessen's departure leaves, but actually result in a net improvement.

Arian's great in the RZ, and nothing's going to change that, but the more the defense has to focus (even a little bit) on something else, the better Arian - and therefore the Texans - are going to be inside the 20.

TdotTexas2Step
04-27-2012, 04:22 PM
We desperately need an impact receiving threat.

We won quite a few games without Andre, but we also experienced a handful of three and outs while placing a lot of pressure on our defense to constantly play at a high level.

Some of it was on Yates' experience, but what if Schaub isn't healthy this year?

I'd prefer a Fleener or Randle. But even Stephen Hill would work as size and pure speed would allow Foster room to do this thing. He's blocking ability is an added bonus.

phantom17
04-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Trade up, snag randle or fleener

This!!!:bravo:

hookinreds
04-27-2012, 05:28 PM
I still say trade up to get Fleener. How difficult would it be for the opposing defense in a short yardage situation (or any for that matter) to account for AJ, OD, Fleener, Casey(FB) and Foster/Tate? How do you stack the box when you have 5 receivers on the field, two of which are TEs that can blow by a LB and get the S attention or stay in and block for the run. It’s just too big of a mismatch to ignore in size and speed…outrun the LBs, or runover the DBs.

ObsiWan
04-27-2012, 05:30 PM
We desperately need an impact receiving threat.

It doesn't matter to me if it's at TE or at WR. We need a stud red zone target.

I like Fleener because he looks like a nightmare, mismatch-wise. A 6'-6" TE that runs 4.56-4.6...? Too big for most slot CBs to handle, too fast (not quick, fast) for most SS to stay with.

From everything I've read/heard, Stephen Hill is unpolished but has lots of upside (...wait, they said that about Jacoby didn't they?).
That said, Hill, Randle, Jeffrey, Quick... I don't really have a pref among those guys. Two of them would be nice. Or one of them plus Dwight Jones from N.C. State (T.J.'s school) as a Saturday pick would work for me too.

bottom line, I want someone that's a threat to score.

Man, imagine what Wade's D will do to folks when we can reliably get up on teams by double digits.
Their QBs will be like
:firehair::firehair:

welsh texan
04-27-2012, 05:44 PM
What would you be willing to give up to get Fleener? Right now we have 3 spots left in the top 100, and could stand to upgrade depth (and push for starting roles) at OL, WR/TE, DE, DT.

I have no problem with the idea of bringing Fleener in and having him as a mismatch at both WR and TE, it sounds like a great option, but it might severely limit our options at other positions.

I quite like the idea of getting one of these RT/RG prospects, who would again not necessarily have to start straight away, but would give us options and push our starters. From everything I've read we can get some nice receiving options in the 3rd.

Maddict5
04-27-2012, 05:57 PM
actually ive changed my mind. i want cordy glenn. big dude who can move and play either G or T. would restore our oline depth and start for either caldwell or butler/duane (butler can slide over to LT) if they get injured or arent playing as well as hoped (plus both contracts are nearly up too)

Goldensilence
04-27-2012, 05:59 PM

It's not maybe..but he will be. I love OD's all around game and his ability to find soft holes in the zones and great hands, but....Last year he outproduced both our TEs in TD production and matched ODs yards receiving even with all the weapons at Luck's disposal.

I think we'd have to trade up big time to land him though, IMO it's a perfect match for Indy to take him.

It doesn't matter to me if it's at TE or at WR. We need a stud red zone target.

I like Fleener because he looks like a nightmare, mismatch-wise. A 6'-6" TE that runs 4.56-4.6...? Too big for most slot CBs to handle, too fast (not quick, fast) for most SS to stay with.

From everything I've read/heard, Stephen Hill is unpolished but has lots of upside (...wait, they said that about Jacoby didn't they?).
That said, Hill, Randle, Jeffrey, Quick... I don't really have a pref among those guys. Two of them would be nice. Or one of them plus Dwight Jones from N.C. State (T.J.'s school) as a Saturday pick would work for me too.

bottom line, I want someone that's a threat to score.

Man, imagine what Wade's D will do to folks when we can reliably get up on teams by double digits.
Their QBs will be like
:firehair::firehair:

Bolded part is what I have emphasized day one for Fleener. He's going to create PHYSICAL mismatches in the NFL.

Would prefer Hill, great measureables, not afraid to block, and seems like a good kid.

I don't want any part of Quick in the second. Only in the third I would start to consider him. No more small school projects early.

Thorn
04-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Re: Draft day 2. Who do you want?

Hopefully to be sober enough to post is what I want. But I'm not heading in that general direction at the time. :)

NCTexan
04-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Or one of them plus Dwight Jones from N.C. State (T.J.'s school) as a Saturday pick would work for me too.

Oh no you didn't.

Though I agree with the bulk of your post. Get one WR earlier and one later. Two receivers this draft would be nice. I happen to think Dwight Jones can be motivated by guys like AJ and Walter and Arian to perform better.

Topher
04-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Randle

gary
04-27-2012, 07:12 PM
It won't be Quick or Fleener.

bckey
04-27-2012, 07:23 PM
The Texans may end up trading up if the draft keeps going like this. Quick and Wolfe hurt going this early. Add Schwartz to that list.

kingh99
04-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Considering they took 5 defensive players last year in the first 4 rounds followed by (what we thought at the time was inconsequential) 5th rounder QB TJ Yate, OT Newton and then a sixth throw away defense pick of the Rice guy Cheta Oz something. And now they follow up with a Defense pick this year in the first round which made sense considering what they lost/traded. That's 6 players in the first four rounds on defense compared to 2 for the offense, a 5th and 6th rounder.

My guess is the offense owns the draft board the rest of the night and tomorrow. All offense henceforth.

bckey
04-27-2012, 07:52 PM
All the picks coming off the boards are what alot of us were projecting for the Texans. Stop the insanity!

Corrosion
04-27-2012, 08:23 PM

Maybe even as late as the 4th round where they have two picks. Someone will fall ....

As for what I'd like to see today , Give me a guy who can swing between OG/T , one of the following - DE , CB , WR.

I dont see DT as a huge need with Cody and Mitchell who only play on running downs as they go to a four man front on passing downs.

Wouldnt mind a TE at some point .... Fleener in the second ? Hmmm , depends on what you have to give up to get him. Could he play the slot in the NFL ??? Can the Texans afford to go both TE and WR when they have other spots to fill ?

steelbtexan
04-27-2012, 08:34 PM
^^^^
This

CretorFrigg
04-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Way too many WRs gone in the 2nd round now. We need value for our pick. I don't expect us to draft a WR in the 2nd round, although I wanted one.

TexansBlood
04-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Trade!?

Pantherstang84
04-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Randle was there and the Texans trade out.
:strangle:

hradhak
04-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Not sure about the trade down. I guess too many WRs were off the board in the 2nd.

Carr Bombed
04-27-2012, 08:56 PM
What the hell did they get in return?

EllisUnit
04-27-2012, 08:57 PM
if we ever get to pick that will be great

CretorFrigg
What did we get for the trade?!?! What?!?!

TexansBlood
Randle was there and the Texans trade out.
:strangle:

Seriously. We get 68th pick but what else?

WTF

hot pickle
bucs 3rd and 4th (through the eagles)

hradhak
04-27-2012, 08:58 PM
I think this gives us 3 4th rounders now. We may wanna package two of those and the swap 3rds and move up if there's someone available.

hot pickle
we now have 2 3rds and 3 4ths

Pantherstang84
What did we get for the trade?!?! What?!?!

They got a 2 and 7. Texans got a 3 and 4

EllisUnit
04-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Wade and rick must of fell asleep and kubiak is calling the shots :kubepalm:

Pantherstang84
04-27-2012, 09:00 PM
we now have 2 3rds and 3 4ths

Wanna bet Randle comes off before 68 comes?

Corrosion
04-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Makes a lot of sense to me even if there were some good players there for the taking.

Doubtful any of them come in and start but gives another pick to fill dept with.

Kinda surprised they didnt take the OT from Mississippi - Massie

Fili
04-27-2012, 09:03 PM
A receiver that competes with #12.

Mr teX
04-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Wanna bet Randle comes off before 68 comes?

yeah, it sucks b/c there are no less than 4 teams ahead of us that could us a WR. Getting randle at the end of the 2nd/beginning of the 3rd will be a steal for whomever gets him.

Carr Bombed
04-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Sanu is still out there isn't he?

Mr teX
04-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Sanu is still out there isn't he?

yes sir

Fili
04-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Wade and rick must of fell asleep and kubiak is calling the shots :kubepalm:

Or they all fell asleep and McClain had to step in. :wadepalm: :kubepalm: :vincepalm: :toropalm: :facepalm:

NCTexan
04-27-2012, 09:09 PM
yeah, it sucks b/c there are no less than 4 teams ahead of us that could us a WR. Getting randle at the end of the 2nd/beginning of the 3rd will be a steal for whomever gets him.

There's something up with Randle.

BetaV1
04-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Chill guys. The third round is filled with plenty of great tight ends. :bender:

Spled
04-27-2012, 09:11 PM
At least it's a high 3.

Mr teX
04-27-2012, 09:12 PM
There's something up with Randle.

im not so sure....the NFL wouldn't have invited the guy to the green room if they didn't think he had a chance to go in the 1st round. He was also brought out as 1 of the top 26 players at the beginning......I just hope that if we take him, he has a massive chip on his shoulder to prove everyone wrong.

Maybe it's just a case of him being the odd guy out..it happens.

Pantherstang84
04-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Chill guys. The third round is filled with plenty of great tight ends. :bender:

I know Kubes loves him some eight end, but the Texans really need another outside receiver. The joke from Lane College is not it.

NCTexan
04-27-2012, 09:17 PM
im not so sure....the NFL wouldn't have invited the guy to the green room if they didn't think he had a chance to go in the 1st round. He was also brought out as 1 of the top 26 players at the beginning......I just hope that if we take him, he has a massive chip on his shoulder to prove everyone wrong.

That's what I mean though. He was invited to the green room, was brought out as one of the top 26, and is still on the board this late?

I guess the Giants proved that wrong though.

CretorFrigg
04-27-2012, 09:17 PM
And...Randle is gone. Giants take him.

Pantherstang84
04-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Never underestimate Smithiak's stupidity.

Carr Bombed
04-27-2012, 09:18 PM

BetaV1
04-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Personally I'm glad we didn't take Randle. Call me a 'Bama homer to the end, but I believe you never draft any LSU offensive skill player, regardless of how sexy the pick is. I'll take LSU defense all day, but shy away from their offensive "talent."

Pantherstang84
04-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Like it or not we are stuck with Jacoby Jones.

Carr Bombed
04-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Never underestimate Smithiak's stupidity.

Houston has been one of the top teams in the draft the past 3 seasons.... let's see how this draft plays out before we bash them, they've earned a little leeway now.

Vinny
04-27-2012, 09:21 PM
we won't pick a wr till the early 3rd...book it. :)quoting the guru

Pantherstang84
04-27-2012, 09:23 PM
quoting the guru

Probably won't even be a WR. Probably a TE.

tvaughan
04-27-2012, 09:26 PM
I have to admit, I'm less enchanted by the Mercilus pick with so much offensive talent gone in the 2nd.

Though the 3rd round pick could make me change my mind quick. I hope.

Fili
04-27-2012, 09:27 PM
I actually want a good kicker. Neil Rackers sucks on Madden...

Pantherstang84
04-27-2012, 09:28 PM
I actually want a good kicker. Neil Rackers sucks on Madden...

Good because he is a Redskin now.

DocBar
04-27-2012, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't mind Sanu with the next pick. Should be an excellent possesion type receiver.

Pantherstang84
04-27-2012, 09:34 PM
lol Jags are starting a run on punters in the 3rd round.:lol:

Vinny
04-27-2012, 09:35 PM
at least we didn't take a punter like those stacked Jags

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2012, 09:36 PM
at least we didn't take a punter like those stacked Jags

That is the silver lining here.

Corrosion
04-27-2012, 09:36 PM
quoting the guru

As far as WR goes later in the draft .... Remember the name DeVier Posey from Ohio St.

:corrosion:

BetaV1
04-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Hey now, let's be real: a great punter cannot be appreciated enough.

What of this Posey fella? Anyone watch this guy before? Should be starting with the "Let's mosey, Posey" lines? :kitten:

tak3ov3r
04-27-2012, 09:39 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d827cd661/2012-Combine-workout-DeVier-Posey

CretorFrigg
DeVier Posey...

Do you guys think Rick Smith traded down thinking he could get Randle, then was surprised the Giants took him, leaving us with DeVier Posey?

Vinny
I've been out-guru'd

BrwnsTown
04-27-2012, 09:41 PM

Posey is not bad, especially since you have one of the best wideouts in the game already. No major off the field problems except for the stupid tattoo and selling memorabilia.

Not blazing fast but quick, and if you nap on him he will slip deep...

Pantherstang84
04-27-2012, 09:42 PM
DeVier Posey...

Do you guys think Rick Smith traded down thinking he could get Randle, then was surprised the Giants took him, leaving us with DeVier Posey?

Once they traded down, I knew they lost Randle. Someone ahead of them was going to pick him up.

VTexan
McNutt still available? Broyles went a lot earlier than I anticipated.

Carr Bombed
This kid says he's ALWAYS wanted to be a Texan... He even entered a contest when he was a kid.

This might work out... Is he a local product of something. There aren't too many Texan fans outside of Houston

tvaughan
04-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Posey is not bad, especially since you have one of the best wideouts in the game already. No major off the field problems except for the stupid tattoo and selling memorabilia.

Not blazing fast but quick, and if you nap on him he will slip deep...

That stuff cost him 10 games. That's no small thing.

I haven't seem any analysis that has him ranked as highly as the Texans took him.

Hopefully they know something.

Carr Bombed
04-27-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm liking what I'm hearing so far... Says "Sir", sounds very humble and says he sold his ring in order to get his mom's lights turned back on... Says if he had to, he'd do it again, because at the time the money really helped his family.

CloakNNNdagger
04-27-2012, 09:45 PM
The Texans have just traded their five 3rd and 4th round picks for ten 6th round picks, a 2014 7th round pick, and an autographed Justin Blackmon jersey. :kitten:

CretorFrigg
04-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Once they traded down, I knew they lost Randle. Someone ahead of them was going to pick him up.

Yeah, it's just a hypothesis. We will never know what goes on in the draft room.

tvaughan
04-27-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm liking what I'm hearing so far... Says "Sir", sounds very humble and says he sold his ring in order to get his mom's lights turned back on... Says if he had to he'd do it again, because at the time the money really helped his family.

That certainly puts it in a different light. I wonder why they were so harsh on him. Maybe because it was OSU and they had to show zero tolerance?

Carr Bombed
04-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Oh he's from St Clair catholic school in Florida.. Was a huge Andre Johnson fan and became a Texans' fan when they drafted Andre Johnson.

I'm sold. :)

This kid sounds humble and he's going to be in Andre's hip pocket. Houston is the team he always wanted to play for and now he is.. how cool is that? This could be a great story.

BrwnsTown
04-27-2012, 09:47 PM
That stuff cost him 10 games. That's no small thing.

I haven't seem any analysis that has him ranked as highly as the Texans took him.

Hopefully they know something.

It was a stupid a rule to break, but why you get in trouble for selling something that is yours is just silly.

Be glad you didn't draft Adams he is a pot head, glad the steelers grabbed him, hopefully he is all stoned every time my Browns play them.

But as far as Posey goes, he can catch, and block. And one on one he will do fine with Johnson drawing the doubles.

sakebomb
04-27-2012, 09:54 PM
But as far as Posey goes, he can catch, and block. And one on one he will do fine with Johnson drawing the doubles.

This sounds good to me. He's got "catch" down so that puts him in front of Jones on the depth chart.

CloakNNNdagger
04-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Here's the background story on Posey for anyone interested.

DeVier Posey, three others suspended (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7073025/ncaa-suspends-ohio-state-buckeyes-devier-posey-five-more-games)Updated: October 7, 2011, 10:32 PM ET
Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The NCAA suspended Ohio State wide receiver DeVier Posey for five more games Friday -- leaving him with only two regular-season games in his senior season -- and three other Buckeyes for one game for taking too much money for a summer job.

Posey's attorney said he was incensed at the penalty. In response, the NCAA called Columbus lawyer Larry James' contentions "patently false."

Offensive lineman Marcus Hall, defensive lineman Melvin Fellows and last year's leading rusher, Dan Herron, will miss this week's game at No. 14 Nebraska on Saturday. They also must repay benefits after receiving pay for work not performed from booster Bobby DiGeronimo, who has been banned from any further contact with Ohio State athletes.

Posey, already forced to sit out the first five games, will not return until Ohio State's home game against Penn State on Nov. 19. He will be able to play against the Nittany Lions and also the following week, the annual matchup with archrival Michigan that concludes the regular season.

"I am extremely disappointed with the NCAA's decision regarding Devier Posey," Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said in a statement. "This penalty is harsh considering the nature of the violation and the five-game suspension already served by this student-athlete."

James, Posey's attorney, was angry at the severity of the penalty.

"I've been doing this for 30 years and I have not had anything that I think has incensed me more," James said.

According to the NCAA, Posey was overpaid $728. Herron and Fellows both accepted approximately $290 in excess pay while Hall received $230 in overpayment.

Posey and Herron already had been suspended five games for accepting cash and tattoos from a Columbus tattoo-parlor owner.

All but Posey will be available to play at Illinois a week from Saturday, although Fellows is out with a medical issue.

In its decision, the NCAA noted the overpayment occurred over an extended period of time.

James said he had records which proved that the players worked and were not substantially overpaid.

"My hard evidence and common sense and logic from 30-plus years of practice tells me (the NCAA's decision) is not supported by sound, reliable information and documentation," he said. "We were able to document that all these players had worked the hours that they had said. Even if we were to concede where there might be holes, less than five hours are in dispute. That takes them under 100 bucks. In DeVier Posey's situation, (the NCAA) just absolutely disregarded evidence that any person with common sense would accept. Why they did it, I do not know."

The NCAA lashed out in response to James' contentions.

"These statements are patently false," NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn said. "To ensure a fair process for the involved student-athlete, each reinstatement decision is determined based on its own merits. The staff carefully reviews all information that the university puts forward during the reinstatement process. Posey's (suspension) is based on his own actions and responsibility for the violation."

Herron, Posey, left tackle Mike Adams and defensive end Solomon Thomas, along with star quarterback Terrelle Pryor and Dorian Bell, were suspended last December for the first five games this fall. Bell has since transferred to Duquesne.

All were found to have received cash and free or discounted tattoos from Edward Rife, who has pleaded guilty to federal charges of money laundering and drug trafficking unrelated to the Ohio State case and is awaiting sentencing.

Herron, Posey, Adams and Thomas were originally set to rejoin the team this week. Adams and Thomas have been cleared to play against Nebraska.

When Ohio State went before the NCAA's committee on infractions on Aug. 12, the major issue was the players who took improper benefits from Rife and the actions (or inaction) of then-Ohio State coach Jim Tressel. Tressel, the Buckeyes' successful coach for 10 years, was forced to resign because he did not tell his superiors when he found out about possible violations. He used ineligible players throughout the 2010 season.

Soon after Tressel was pushed out, Pryor left school a year early to jump to the NFL and is now a member of the Oakland Raiders, although is suspended by the NFL due to his problems at Ohio State and his unconventional route to the league.

James thinks the NCAA was harder on Posey because of his friendship with Pryor, who was at the center of several areas of investigation when he announced he was leaving Ohio State.

"My hunch is for some reason they have discredited him because he was close to Terrelle," James said. "I think that's what it is. As a result of that, they don't want to believe anything that we put forward. But I can't prove that."

DiGeronimo helped run an annual charity event which led to three other players being suspended for the first two games this season.

Ohio State is awaiting the NCAA's report of sanctions for the Tressel/tattoo violations. Smith said this week he expected the NCAA to announce final penalties late this year, perhaps in December.

The university has offered penalties including vacating the 2010 season's 12-1 record, returning bowl payments totaling almost $339,000 from last season, and accepting a two-year NCAA probation. The NCAA could add to those penalties based on all of the subsequent violations and suspensions.

The NCAA also determined Posey accepted approximately $100 in golf fees from another individual, which it called "a preferential treatment violation."

Corrosion
04-27-2012, 09:57 PM
This sounds good to me. He's got "catch" down so that puts him in front of Jones on the depth chart.

When I saw him work out , he caught everything .... even when the ball was off target ,if he could get a hand on it , he brought it in.

CloakNNNdagger
04-27-2012, 10:06 PM
NFL.com had this to say.

Overview

Posey is a savvy route runner who has overcome various obstacles during his time at Ohio State. He is athletic and understands how to run routes and get open. He can be counted on to secure the catch when he is not draped by a defender. Though suspended on two separate occasions for his role in NCAA violations involving boosters, Posey showed in his short opportunity during his senior year why he has third-round value in this year's draft.

Analysis

Strengths

Posey can struggle off the line but understands, for the most part, how to stem his routes to set up a defender and then use his suddenness to change directions. He can burst and stick his foot in the ground at the top of routes to gain separation. Except when going across the middle and facing a big hit, he is superb at adjusting his body once the ball is thrown to secure the catch. He is effective after the catch with the ball in his hands and can make a small move to get up field. He is a very polished as a route runner and overall receiver.

Weaknesses

Posey will get caught peeking at incoming safeties when going across the middle. He shows toughness when blocking, but not here. He sometimes will seem uninvolved in the physical aspect of the game or when the ball and play are not coming toward him.

Evidently great route runner. But this is what caught my eye......I hope not another JJ (in this respect) without the speed.