PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Mercilus - First Round Pick

Pages : 1 [2]

Playoffs
04-27-2012, 11:08 AM
What he brings: Mercilus possesses a quick first step and is one of the natural finesse pass-rushers in this class. At this point, he needs to get stronger against the run, as well as when converting speed to power with his pass-rushing moves.

How he fits: He makes an already productive defensive front even better. Even though the Texans lost their best defensive player in Mario Williams in free agency, they got unexpected production from OLBs Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed. In this 3-4 defense that loves to attack and blitz from all directions with a lot of slants and one-gap penetrating schemes, Mercilus fits nicely as a rotation edge rusher in the 3-4 and possibly a guy who can play DE in 3-4 subpackages.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/rounds?year=2012&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft%2frounds%3fyear%3d2012

TexansBlood
04-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Im happy w the pick, I hadnt paid much attention to him thinking he was gona go sonner. Actually wanted Nick Perry but with time we shall see.

Double Barrel
04-27-2012, 11:10 AM
I like the pick. Wade's defense is going to be FEARED! :texflag:

97roc
04-27-2012, 11:11 AM
His biggest attribute that I saw was his effort. Not a bad thing.

I don't think the guy sucks, I just don't think he was the best player left on the board there.

I would have rather had the guy that went off the board right after him. But whatever, he's a Texan now kick some ass.

I would consider him an ok to good pass rusher. Maybe wade's scheme can make him really good or great.

See bold... now kick some ass!

Goldensilence
04-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Not sure how you can say that with a whole lot of conviction. I belive the cookie may be correct.

I don't see how you can't think they're all in, committed to the guy. He's been so inconsistent and has not developed into a serviceable #2 WR yet, they still keep clinging to the hope one day the light will come on with JJ. it's also telling that they haven't really gone after anyone to legitimately push JJ the last two years, and considering there's been some nice values trades they could have made it tells me even more. The staff is all in on this guy. Hopefully it's the last time we'll see Kubiak stick to "his guy" despite all other signs saying otherwise.

The best thing I can say about Gary and Rick's drafts lately is they have decided to stop constantly proving they are the smartest guys in th nfl by taking small school projects like Molden and Jones high than they should.

Meet Connor Barwin's replacement for 2013. I'd bet money the Texans have NO intention of resigning CB next year. JMO!

It really depends how Barwin performs this year really. One productive year last year. I don't know how big of a contract he's going to begin line for. We need 3 olb to rotate in.

Errant Hothy
04-27-2012, 11:17 AM
The nickle package could look like so:

Watt - Smith - Mercilus
Barwin - Cushing - Reed
JJ - Manning - Quinn - McCain - KJ

That's mulitple rushers coming from nearly every gap.

VTexan
04-27-2012, 11:19 AM
I like Jeffery (AJ will straighten him out), McNutt, and Broyles.

leebigeztx
04-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Agreed. WR is extremely deep in this draft. I admit, I was really high on Hill coming out of the combine (who wasn't?) but over time came to realize just how much depth this draft has at the WR position. The only two clear cut, top tier guys were Blackmon and Floyd, and we weren't getting either of those guys.

I'd still love to be able to get Hill, but realistically we'd have to trade up for him and I don't think that's worth it. Randle or Sanu if we're looking at a wideout in Rd. 2, if not, take Childs later in the draft. The only player I'd like to trade up for at this point is Martin.

I like this thinking with childs. I'm still on board with jeffery in the later 2nd or even early 3rd with toon or mcnutt. What has to concern anyone watching hill is the lack of explosion out of his breaks. The general rule even if you watch the combine is .20 faster than you 40 time. As a wr, this is vital even for a tall guy. Hill's short shuttle was slower than his 40. That means he cant drop his hips and explose out the break and give the qb seperation. Much like jones and people rib on him because he cant get to passes on digs and dagger routes. Pre combine, hill was a given a 3rd rd grade. Gms aren't going to elevate a guy 2 rd from the combine a a developmental guy.

As for tonight, I think the texans are going to select a 5 tech to replace smith after this season in the 2nd rd. If reyes,wolf,alameeda tuamma are there, i think those will be the selections. With that early 3 we might see a wr like mcnutt,givens,sanu,or toon. The 4th or 5th rd could be chapman or jean baptiste as a nt.

leebigeztx
04-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Here are my thoughts on our pick. I LOVE IT. You can got to my thread El Tejano's 2012 Draft Wish List and see for yourself that I had him as my 7th player on my list. Alot of those players were placed on if they would be available to us or not and as you will see, the first 5 were gone before we could pick them leaving Mercilus and Upshaw only and I was wanting Mercilus more than Upshaw because of losing Mario and remembering how our defense played when Mario was in and now I feel we made up for that.

In terms of getting a guy who is not going to play every down, I disagree. My understanding is that Mercilus can play both end and OLB. If that is the case, this means he may be utilized differently in certain packages and will be on the field more than we think while keeping other good players fresh for the 4th.

If you look at our team in general, our problem isn't that we don't have starters. Our current situation is that we lossed our depth. Anyone we were going to pick was going to have a starter already there in their position. Sure we could've got a WR but all the 1st round guys were gone and it's such a crapshoot with WR and some have to take about 4 years to develop. OL, hey I think we did good by not reaching and many NFL OL coaches believe that Mitchell Schwartz is the best one out there and he's still available. Besides, it says alot about who we have now that we didn't go round 1 on OL. DT well we got some good ones now. Long story short everyone we are going to draft is going to be a backup with a shot to take over.

Does anyone else see this as insurance if A. Smith leaves next year?

Disagree about him playing 3-4 end. He's a natural edge rusher as a olb or 4-3 end. Now, in obvious passing downs, wade like to go 4-2-5 or 4-1-6, but between mercilus and barwin, he might be tempted to stay more base if its the 11 package because james,brady,cushing,barwin,and now mercilus can be pretty can cover.

drunkcookie
04-27-2012, 11:59 AM
They just had Mercilus' college HC (Ron Zook) on 610 am...said Mercilus became their best DE the last half of the '10 season... 1-1/2 year wonder ;)

Dutchrudder
04-27-2012, 12:00 PM
They just had Mercilus' college HC (Ron Zook) on 610 am...said Mercilus became their best DE the last half of the '10 season... 1-1/2 year wonder ;)

Super, then he can come here and be a 10 year wonder.

HOU-TEX
04-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Being a defense kinda guy, I dig this pick. I had my mind set on McClellen, but if Mercy's edge speed can translate it makes this D even nastier than before.

I was prayin we wouldn't pick a WR at 26 after Wright went off the board. It appears this draft is truly going to be BPA, which will be the 1st in franchise history.

Kudos, thus far

Playoffs
04-27-2012, 12:39 PM
TexansChick one-stop shopping for Mercilus info: http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2012/04/welcome-whitney-mercilus-to-the-texans-and-now-what/

76Texan
04-27-2012, 01:16 PM
I've watched several Illinois games when I scouted all the QBs and WRs (and a few guys that I was interested in at other positions).

I've come back and reviewed like mad 7 games so far since the pick was announced.

Mercilus is a scheme-versatile player; I've seen him play everything except at 0 and 1 tech.

At the end of the day, he's a playmaker.
Every game, he contributed in between 10 to 15 plays; whether its' a sack, a force fumble, a pass batted down, a tackle for loss on the RB, or shutting down his side, or taking on multi-blockers to spring another defender free.

Obviously, there were plays in which he was neutralized by the offensive player.

The key here is that he was hardly dominated at the POA.
For a guy that is only 260 lbs, that is really good.

He played in a rotation like any pro team play their guys so his production wasn't inflated as some guy who is forced to play almost every single snap due to lack of depth.

If we're talking about an 8-man rotation with each guy contributing at the same rate as Mercilus, that's a shutdown defense right there.

I fully endorse this pick with the usual warning about over-expectation.

phantom17
04-27-2012, 01:55 PM
This is a great pick! Fleener would have been my choice if Merciless would have been gone. I never expected him here at #26! However, I'm hoping they would try to move up to get him. I know the chances are slim, & they have other pressing needs, such as, WR & OL!:bravo:

silvrhand
04-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Big 10 did not have an impressive year, none of the teams below would be what I consider A+ competition at the college level last year.

Maybe this will make you feel better - Whitney Mercilus Vs Wisconsin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWfNeKi_hfc)

Whitney Mercilus vs Ohio State (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ndXFxPUoJM)

Whitney Mercilus vs UCLA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60fJEcIF1h8&feature=related)

Whitney Mercilus Illinois vs Penn State (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rzIl6oVGUQ)

TimeKiller
04-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Big 10 did not have an impressive year, none of the teams below would be what I consider A+ competition at the college level last year.

Pedigrees are just pedigrees. It's all gravy once you step into the man club.

silvrhand
04-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Pedigrees are just pedigrees. It's all gravy once you step into the man club.

May I remind you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amobi_Okoye

ThaShark316
04-27-2012, 03:02 PM

OSU and Wisconsin had good OLs though, homie.

Maddict5
04-27-2012, 03:44 PM
not to nit pick, but in a 3-4 you basically play three DT's. Last night Wade said he was still short one D lineman and that they are looking to address the position.

i accept your general pt but NT/DT and DE arent the same thing in a 3-4....and if cody or earl havent played any DE i take that to mean wade doesnt see them as such....

and the pt of having 6 d-linemen is you the texans will have 3 replacements if needed. so theres not much pt in having 3 NT/DT's and 3 DE's. all im saying is that, while some can play DE, alot more of those DT's left dont have the quickness to translate to 3-4 DE's

Allstar
04-27-2012, 03:48 PM
http://distilleryimage8.instagram.com/d17166d890a011e1a39b1231381b7ba1_7.jpg

HOU-TEX
04-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange the Pats traded for the spot in front of us to select an ILB?

I don't think we were really looking at ILB's.

Allstar
04-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Mercilus press conference at 3:30 CDT can be seen here (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Mercilus-live-at-330-pm-CT/a7299479-843c-4f88-8cac-b471bd38473a)

Allstar
04-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange the Pats traded for the spot in front of us to select an ILB?

Maybe they tried to trade with us and we didn't want to move?

drunkcookie
04-27-2012, 04:11 PM

They weren't that much better the year before (Watt)...

Dude was ballin' against linemen...i want to see him go against some TEs, TBs and FBs... See what he can bring against those guys...

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2012, 04:14 PM

I think that's part of the Smokescreen. I think Smithiak tried to get people to think that they thought they needed an ILB to replace Demeco. And the Patriots bit.

Nawzer
04-27-2012, 04:19 PM
We saw what guys like JJ Watt and Brooks Reed can do. It's not all about sacks. The key word here to describe guys like Mercilus is "disruptive". He can be disruptive in other ways besides getting sacks. How many times did Watt bat down passes last season? He intercepted a freaking pass in a playoff game last year! We need more guys like that who can be a terror on the field in more ways than one.

TexansLucky13
04-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Live press conference with Mercilus in a few minutes (3:30).... link (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Mercilus-live-at-330-pm-CT/a7299479-843c-4f88-8cac-b471bd38473a)

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2012, 04:23 PM
We saw what guys like JJ Watt and Brooks Reed can do. It's not all about sacks. The key word here to describe guys like Mercilus is "disruptive". He can be disruptive in other ways besides getting sacks. How many times did Watt bat down passes last season? He intercepted a freaking pass in a playoff game last year! We need more guys like that who can be a terror on the field in more ways than one.

"... like a pack of wild dogs!"

Nawzer
04-27-2012, 04:35 PM
"... like a pack of wild dogs!"

With Barwin, Reed, and now Mercilus we have a 3 headed hound aka Cerberus! Unleash the Cerberus!!!

JB
04-27-2012, 04:35 PM

I don't think it unlikely that we would have taken hightower if he was available

kiwitexansfan
04-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Watching the stream, he handles himself very well, looks very relaxed and confident.

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2012, 04:38 PM
I don't think it unlikely that we would have taken hightower if he was available

He was one of the many guys at that point I would have been perfectly fine with taking.

TexCanada
04-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Confident, yet humble. I like it.

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Watching the stream, he handles himself very well, looks very relaxed and confident.

I've lost my connection and can't get back onto HT.com. Very frustrating.

From what I heard, I agree with your assessment.

I'm still surprised at how many of these college players don't know much about the pros. (Like when Colt McCoy didn't know what conference/division the Browns were in.)

NitroGSXR
04-27-2012, 04:43 PM

I don't know a word of what he's saying but he looks like a guy that puts me to ease. He comes off as super friendly. Love that big welcoming smile of his. This kid is h-a-p-p-y to be here. I hope he's the real deal on the field.

TexansLucky13
04-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Definitely an intelligent and mature individual. I'm excited to have him here

HOU-TEX
04-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Seems like an intelligent and nice dude. Loved his comment about when the coaches allowed him to just pin his ears back and go. I reckon that's what he'll be doing with us his first year or two anyway. The knowledge of the game will come with experience.

welsh texan
04-27-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm liking everything i'm reading about this guy and I think its telling that they chose to add depth to a strong if thin position rather than taking a position where people on here have been desperate to add a starter.

I wonder if Mercilus might be our first 1st rounder to not start in week 1? Have to think its the first time there is little pressure on him to start because of the guys in front of him, if he does start it can only be a good thing.

From what I've been reading there wasn't all that much to separate the WR's available at 26, to those who will be available to us in rd 2 or 3, that early 4th rounder we picked up should give us options to grab some immediate talent as well with this draft being deep, before we begin taking the flyers in the later picks.

All in all I'm looking forward seeing our rotation next season, and I'm glad that we can bring this guy on at a steady pace rather than having to force him out early if he isn't ready for it, thats got to affect the coaching he receives and may help him down the line.

Is it too soon for any Whitney - Houston type puns btw? :lol:

Ole Miss Texan
04-27-2012, 08:01 PM

if anybody wants to mess with you I'll help ya out and be The Bodyguard. ;)

gary
04-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Jacksonville and Tennessee both went receiver and the Texans countered by drafting a pass rusher.

Heath Shuler
04-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Tom Waddle on NFL Network just predicted Mercilus will be defensive rookie of the year and may have double digit sacks.

thunderkyss
04-28-2012, 12:19 AM
first round pick on a guy that noone ever saw play cause he played at IL, against sub par talent for one year.. We took a huge risk on yet another project player.

Would rather us seen go WR, then OG/OT before spending a first round on this guy.. For me I don't like it.

who would you have taken instead? I don't think there was a WR to be had here.

kiwitexansfan
04-28-2012, 03:05 AM
I don't know a word of what he's saying but he looks like a guy that puts me to ease. He comes off as super friendly. Love that big welcoming smile of his. This kid is h-a-p-p-y to be here. I hope he's the real deal on the field.

That is the thing, I couldn't really hear him well because my 4yr old was yelling but I just liked the way he carried himself, made eye contact, sat still, hands folded gently.....

b0ng
04-28-2012, 03:27 AM
Tom Waddle on NFL Network just predicted Mercilus will be defensive rookie of the year and may have double digit sacks.

I would not stop ejaculating throughout the 2012 season if this happens.

ObsiWan
04-28-2012, 11:35 AM
I think that's part of the Smokescreen. I think Smithiak tried to get people to think that they thought they needed an ILB to replace Demeco. And the Patriots bit.

Sooo you're saying Smithiak put one over on Belicheat?
:)

gary
04-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Tom Waddle on NFL Network just predicted Mercilus will be defensive rookie of the year and may have double digit sacks.How much will he play? He did not play a lot before last season which might be why he is a so called one year wonder.

ObsiWan
04-28-2012, 11:55 AM

If you keep that up we'll have to be Mercilus
:D

Playoffs
04-28-2012, 11:57 AM
How much will he play?Likely doesn't start, 3rd down & situational package guy. Disappointed? Don't be...

Aldon Smith was in same role last year for SF. He had 14 sacks as a rook. Defensive Rookie of the Year according to Pro Football Weekly and Pro Football Writers of America.

DX-TEX
04-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Nick Scurfield‏@NickScurfield

Close

Got this text from @JJWatt re: @Merci380: "We've got pass-rushers for days... QBs beware." #Texans #BullsOnParade

Retweeted by Whitney Mercilus

Awwwww yeah!

Rey
04-28-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm feeling better about this pick..

Still think there were better players we could have picked, but I expect Mercilus to be solid...Show up everyday kind of guy...

thunderkyss
04-28-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm feeling better about this pick..
...Show up everyday kind of guy...

I think that's the reputation he's earned at the college level. Same thing with Posey.

Looks good for our team.

Allstar
04-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Interesting inside look at Mercilus' story and his draft night:

link (http://btn.com/video/?bcpid=1052530224001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAEBQhU8~,kLn_EtefUBm_bGFgCQ-l8cy9XHB2DMUX&bclid=1612721581&bctid=1611192110001)

redwhiteblue
04-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Interesting inside look at Mercilus and his draft night:

link (http://btn.com/video/?bcpid=1052530224001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAEBQhU8~,kLn_EtefUBm_bGFgCQ-l8cy9XHB2DMUX&bclid=1612721581&bctid=1611192110001)

GREAT video

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Great find. Love the video.

Texecutioner
04-28-2012, 11:23 PM
THIS JUST IN! .... Wade knows more than we do about football.

Last I checked this is a message board where folks give their opinions on Houston sports. It is a draft that just took place. Some people will love certain picks and others may not. This is a place where fans come to discuss their thoughts on things like the draft. If you don't like to hear people possibly questioning certain picks than I would suggest that you don't login. Anything would be better than stating the obvious that wade knows more about football than random fans.

pirbroke
04-30-2012, 10:03 AM
I think it's funny how new England jumped in front of us to get Donta Hightower ILB, Alabama, Team Captain with High Character. It seems in the past I remember some pats fan on their forum getting mad at us for taking the player they wanted, Barwin was one. I bet they thought we were targeting this guy.

NitroGSXR
04-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Interesting inside look at Mercilus' story and his draft night:

Will somebody transcribe the end of the video... starting basically leading up to the picks. He looked worried for a few minutes as teams were passing him up. Curious what was being said. And ESPECIALLY transcribe the phone call.

Thanks in advance.

Jackie Chiles
04-30-2012, 10:26 AM
I think it's funny how new England jumped in front of us to get Donta Hightower ILB, Alabama, Team Captain with High Character. It seems in the past I remember some pats fan on their forum getting mad at us for taking the player they wanted, Barwin was one. I bet they thought we were targeting this guy.

Theres a chance they thought that but I think more likely they wanted to get in front of Baltimore and Denver picking at 25 just happened to be the first team they could strike a deal with. Baltimore wound up trading out of the first round once their pick rolled around.

gtexan02
04-30-2012, 11:37 AM
I love this guy's attitude
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Micd-Up-Mercilus-Arrives-in-Houston/0c0107dd-5db8-47fb-8e92-3dadd235d3d9

The Cush
04-30-2012, 01:14 PM
ESPN wrote an article of the "Best Draft Marriages". Mercilus got ranked at #3:

3. Whitney Mercilus, OLB, Houston: Mercilus may have been a one-dimensional defensive end at Illinois, but that one dimension -- pass-rushing -- is exactly what the Texans needed. They already have a coach (defensive coordinator Wade Phillips) who knows how to turn undersized college defensive ends into dominant pass-rushing outside linebackers.

Mercilus also has exactly the kind of rťsumť that should make Phillips' job much easier. Mercilus made his name in college by leading the country in sacks (16) and forced fumbles (nine) as a junior last fall. He wasn't much of a threat against the run, but the Texans won't be as concerned about that early in his career.

At 6-foot-3 and 260 pounds, he compares favorably to 49ers outside linebacker Aldon Smith, another former college defensive end who became a 3-4 pass-rusher as a rookie last fall. Smith wound up with 14 sacks in his first season. Mercilus could come close to similar production in Houston's defense.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7869395/2012-nfl-draft

Jacksonville and their punter got #4 on their worst list.

NitroGSXR
04-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Will somebody transcribe the end of the video... starting basically leading up to the picks. He looked worried for a few minutes as teams were passing him up. Curious what was being said. And ESPECIALLY transcribe the phone call.

Thanks in advance.

C'mon... bump!

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQf3MrteVlbWseeJ1F-u-dUDQrhLKZeyKUQZtTS2mt2GSwHk8v2pw

pirbroke
04-30-2012, 03:26 PM
for nitro

2:55 point
tonight is going to be special, because I get to spend it with people close to me instead of go to New York city where half would have to stay, and watch it on tv and half of them go. So it was better to have everybody who was part of my success and be together in one room and watch my name get called. Girl- this is Whitney Mercilus marble shaped cake. number 85 from Illinois, sorry if it's a bit chaotic, we are just setting up for the party. Kid- go bears, go bears, If San Diego picks you to be on their team I am going to be so angry, but I am going to move there right next to ya, Laughter. TV- welcome to prime time and the 2012 draft. with the first pick the colts pick Andrew Luck, The Washington Redskins pick Robert Griffen the 3rd, Whitney talk- that's my boy, I know him. TV- with the 7th pick the Tampa Bay Buccaneers pick mark Baron. With the 14th pick St Louis Rams select Michael Brockers, Whitney- which city im I going to be in man. TV- with the 18th pick San Diego picks Melvin Ingram. Crowd gabbing his shoulder with someone saying shot down I think. Tv 19 pick Chicago picks shey something, Defensive end, you can see disappointment on family faces. Answer phone with a whats up, Hey man I'm glad man, I'm happy about that, warm weather like I thought. Hey I'm all for it, Laugh, TV- with the 26th pick the Houston Texans select Whitney Mercilus, crowd noise with nice upskirt, LOL. The dad I guess- Something about Texas and I don't know anything about Texas but now I'm going to know. Whitney- I'm a Houston Texan in camera.

The1ApplePie
04-30-2012, 03:30 PM
A line package of Merci-Crick-Watt-Barwin on passing downs looks mighty beastly on paper. Have Reed playing joker in said formation...:bravo:

NitroGSXR
04-30-2012, 03:34 PM
for nitro

tonight is going to be special, because I get to spend it with people close to me instead of go to New York city where half would have to stay, and watch it on tv and half of them go. So it was better to have everybody who was part of my success and be together in one room and watch my name get called. Girl- this is Whitney Mercilus marble shaped cake. number 85 from Illinois, sorry if it's a bit chaotic, we are just setting up for the party. Kid- go bears, go bears, If San Diego picks you to be on their team I am going to be so angry, but I am going to move there right next to ya, Laughter. TV- welcome to prime time and the 2012 draft. with the first pick the colts pick Andrew Luck, The Washington Redskins pick Robert Griffen the 3rd, Whitney talk- that's my boy, I know him. TV- with the 7th pick the Tampa Bay Buccaneers pick mark Baron. With the 14th pick St Louis Rams select Michael Brockers, Whitney- which city im I going to be in man. TV- with the 18th pick San Diego picks Melvin Ingram. Crowd gabbing his shoulder with someone saying shot down I think. Tv 19 pick Chicago picks shey something, Defensive end, you can see disappointment on family faces. Answer phone with a whats up, Hey man I'm glad man, I'm happy about that, warm weather like I thought. Hey I'm all for it, Laugh, TV- with the 26th pick the Houston Texans select Whitney Mercilus, crowd noise with nice upskirt, LOL. The dad I guess- Something about Texas and I don't know anything about Texas but now I'm going to know. Whitney- I'm a Houston Texan in camera.

So the family didn't know it was the Houston Texans who had called on the phone?

Nice. Thanks for taking the time to do this for me. I appreciate it.

SeŮor Stan
04-30-2012, 04:25 PM
I like him, but I never thought for a moment he would get past 22. Great pick at 26, I'm confident Wade will get what he wants out of him. He reminds me a lot of Aldon Smith actually, the OLB that the Texans were supposedly targeting in round 1 last year. A young guy with a high motor, great speed off the line, and also a one-year wonder in college. We all know how that turned out for the 49ers, let's hope Mercilus is the same.

Except Mercilus is faster (4.68 vs. 4.78) and stronger (27 reps vs. 20)

Smith has a couple inches on vertical, but they are even on broad jump.

Smith had 11 sacks in 2009 and 6 sacks 2010 at Missouri...Mercilus had 16 in 2011 for Illinois.

Count me in...

Allstar
04-30-2012, 06:04 PM
for nitro

tonight is going to be special, because I get to spend it with people close to me instead of go to New York city where half would have to stay, and watch it on tv and half of them go. So it was better to have everybody who was part of my success and be together in one room and watch my name get called.

Girl- this is Whitney Mercilus marble shaped cake. number 85 from Illinois, sorry if it's a bit chaotic, we are just setting up for the party.

Kid- go bears, go bears, If San Diego picks you to be on their team I am going to be so angry, but I am going to move there right next to ya, Laughter.

TV- welcome to prime time and the 2012 draft. with the first pick the colts pick Andrew Luck, The Washington Redskins pick Robert Griffen the 3rd,

Whitney talk- that's my boy, I know him.

TV- with the 7th pick the Tampa Bay Buccaneers pick mark Baron. With the 14th pick St Louis Rams select Michael Brockers,

Whitney- which city im I going to be in man.

TV- with the 18th pick San Diego picks Melvin Ingram. Crowd gabbing his shoulder with someone saying shot down I think.

Tv 19 pick Chicago picks shey something, Defensive end, you can see disappointment on family faces.

Answer phone with a whats up, Hey man I'm glad man, I'm happy about that, warm weather like I thought. Hey I'm all for it, Laugh,

TV- with the 26th pick the Houston Texans select Whitney Mercilus, crowd noise with nice upskirt, LOL.

The dad I guess- Something about Texas and I don't know anything about Texas but now I'm going to know.

Whitney- I'm a Houston Texan in camera.
Paragraphs are your friend. Great job otherwise :)

Allstar
04-30-2012, 06:05 PM
So the family didn't know it was the Houston Texans who had called on the phone?

Nice. Thanks for taking the time to do this for me. I appreciate it.

It cut straight to him answering, I'm guessing he told everyone the area code and to shut up right beforehand lol

CloakNNNdagger
04-30-2012, 08:38 PM
I don't believe this interview given right after the Combine has been posted.

Mercilus discusses NFL prospects on Illini Drive @ 5 (http://www.dailyillini.com/index.php/article/2012/03/mercilus_discusses_nfl_prospects_on_illini_drive_5 )

Editorís note: The following is a partial transcript from an Illini Drive @ 5 interview with Illinois footballís Whitney Mercilus, who entered the NFL Draft after his junior season and participated in last weekís NFL Combine.

Illini Drive @ 5: What most surprised you about your performance in Indianapolis last week?

Whitney Mercilus: The thing is, I was expecting everything to happen the way it did. Because the way they trained me down in Phoenix, Ariz., at Athleteís Performance, they didnít leave any stone unturned. We trained every part that we could, just to kill the Combine and everything. Everybody that I trained with, they killed the Combine also. I came out there and I was expecting to run a 4.6 (40-yard dash). I ran a 4.63 and I was happy about that, put up 27 (reps) on the bench, hit my goal, got a 32 on the (vertical jump) and I was showing that I was fluid on the position drills also, that I definitely have a lot of heads to turn and Iím not a one-year wonder.

ID@5: What would you say to people that call you a one-year wonder?

Mercilus: I guess itís because the 2011 season I had 16 sacks and previous seasons I think I had only one sack Ö and then all of a sudden I just exploded onto the scene. And thatís what theyíre calling me a one-year wonder for. I call that a negative stigma. It just gives me motivation to show people that I am not a one-year wonder.

ID@5: Would you just say that the opportunity just came (to go to the NFL) and you just grabbed life by the horn and seized it?

Mercilus: Yeah I definitely did, because it was a way to help my family out and everything. And I didnít come from a background that was too glamorous and what not. So yeah definitely, I took advantage of a door that opened for me.

ID@5: All the things that youíre learning now, do you plan on taking these workout methods with you to the future or do you think your workouts will shift once you get to an NFL team?

Mercilus: Oh no, thatís exactly what theyíre training us for at API. Itís basically for a lifetime. To understand how efficient you can make your movements and understanding your body. Itís basically training our minds to become a pro and understanding how to train ourselves when we donít have somebody to train us. Itís helping us a great deal and it allows us to train for the long 16-game season thatís coming ahead of us in the NFL.

ID@5: What events will you participate in at Illinoisí Pro Day?

Mercilus: Iíll participate in, of course, the position drills. I donít know if theyíll have me doing just D-line or linebacker drills, but Iíll be planning on doing both. Some of the teams run 3-4 and teams that run 4-3 also, and Iíll be doing my 5-10-5 and my L drill, getting better times in those.

ID@5: Where is your ideal fit in defensive scheme?

Mercilus: Probably would be a 4-3 right end. Iíve had my hand in the dirt for my entire career and Iíve never dropped back into coverage, but I will play wherever what team wants me to play, outside linebacker in the 3-4 position. All I have to do is learn the drops, and I think Iíll be able to land it.

ID@5: Iím going to put on my NFL GM hat right now, sell me on Whitney Mercilus.

Mercilus: Whitney Mercilus, me as a person, Iím going to give you 110 percent of my effort. Iím not going to slack off, Iím going to go hard until the whistle blows. To me Iím a pass rusher, pure pass rusher. Iím going to play the run, too. I think Iím great. I have great bend in my hips, Iím pretty flexible. Iím great at the point of attack, I have a great first step, I have a variety of pass rush moves to get past the offensive tackle building off my first step.

Wolf
04-30-2012, 08:56 PM
What was Whitney Mercilus' first day as a Texan like? Click the link http://bit.ly/IAe0tO and watch this "Mic'd Up" video.
from Texans facebook

texasam82
04-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Paragraphs are your friend. Great job otherwise :)

Those are not paragraphs...

texasam82
04-30-2012, 08:59 PM
I really loved that video... and at the risk of sounding somewhat racist I was happy to hear him speak in such a professional/intelligent manner.

I have a really good gut feeling about this one.

Allstar
04-30-2012, 09:14 PM

:lol: You can have 1 sentence paragraphs! Besides, you aren't allowed to have more than one person speaking in a paragraph :bender:

texasam82
04-30-2012, 09:19 PM
:lol: You can have 1 sentence paragraphs! Besides, you aren't allowed to have more than one person speaking in a paragraph :bender:

You are a silly billy... But I like you. I like you.

Allstar
04-30-2012, 09:25 PM

:kingkong:

texasam82
04-30-2012, 09:33 PM

No one else impressed by Mercilus in that video? Seems like a not only an athletic kid, but a smart kid.

Wolf
04-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Mercilus and Phillips meet with media (9:40)
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Micd-Up-Mercilus-Arrives-in-Houston/0c0107dd-5db8-47fb-8e92-3dadd235d3d9#?id=dec6088d-438e-4bcb-905a-a2eb13145de3&channelName=Press%20Conferences

lots of "uh" said between him a Wade

:kitten:

False Start
05-01-2012, 10:54 PM
He's taking Demeco's number 59. I just hope he lives up to the greatness that was Demeco.

G27RR
05-02-2012, 03:09 PM
He's taking Demeco's number 59. I just hope he lives up to the greatness that was Demeco.

That would be nice, definitely.

Just FYI, in case anyone thinks he's stepping on DeMeco when he could've avoided it, that was the only available number in the 50's. There are only two LBs not using 5x on the roster.
50 Braman
51 Sharpton
52 Dobbins
53 James
54 Alexander
55 Myers
56 Cushing
57 Nading
58 Reed
59 Mercilus

LBs on the roster with other numbers
97 Smith
98 Barwin
The only other 9x not used right now is Mario's 90.

Trap_Star
05-02-2012, 03:10 PM
i was hoping he'd take #90.

Playoffs
06-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
RT @HoustonTexans: The Texans and 1st rounder Whitney Mercilus have agreed to terms

MightyTExan
06-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
RT @HoustonTexans: The Texans and 1st rounder Whitney Mercilus have agreed to terms

http://daumpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/jack-nicholson-nodding.gif

Texans_Chick
06-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Before the news, I took a picture of him as the minicamp avatar pic of the day. I guess nice timing.:

https://p.twimg.com/AvTG9euCMAAM4iN.jpg:large

Texans_Chick
06-13-2012, 08:53 PM
That would be nice, definitely.

Just FYI, in case anyone thinks he's stepping on DeMeco when he could've avoided it, that was the only available number in the 50's. There are only two LBs not using 5x on the roster.
50 Braman
51 Sharpton
52 Dobbins
53 James
54 Alexander
55 Myers
56 Cushing
57 Nading
58 Reed
59 Mercilus

97 Smith
98 Barwin
The only other 9x not used right now is Mario's 90.

Nah, 90 is being used by Loiseau. Hard to get your eye used to him because he's not as big as Mario.

infantrycak
06-13-2012, 09:02 PM
98 Barwin

Barwin got his number as a DE. They don't make you change numbers for a position change within the same team to my knowledge.

Playoffs
06-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Alan Burge ‏@AlanBurge
RT @MarkBermanFox26: Mercilus terms: 4-year deal worth $7.63 million with $6.55 million guaranteed.

Ryan
06-14-2012, 01:15 AM
Alan Burge ‏@AlanBurge
RT @MarkBermanFox26: Mercilus terms: 4-year deal worth $7.63 million with $6.55 million guaranteed.

What a bargain! :kingkong:

HouSportsWriter
06-14-2012, 02:52 AM

No one else impressed by Mercilus in that video? Seems like a not only an athletic kid, but a smar:kingkong:t kid.

:facepalm: Why did I double take while reading this. When I saw the words "not paragraphs" in the same sentence. I had a hunch you were typeing about me. I am happy to say for once it is not me!

G27RR
06-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Nah, 90 is being used by Loiseau. Hard to get your eye used to him because he's not as big as Mario.

The list was as of May 2nd, not as of today. Thanks for the update.

NitroGSXR
06-15-2012, 10:18 PM
The list was as of May 2nd, not as of today. Thanks for the update.

Just to piggyback on your post because my curiosity was piqued... Loiseau was signed on May 14th.

badboy
06-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Alan Burge ‏@AlanBurge
RT @MarkBermanFox26: Mercilus terms: 4-year deal worth $7.63 million with $6.55 million guaranteed.I think this is gonna look pretty cheap when Barwin starts negotiating for multi millions after his 2012 season.

GP
06-16-2012, 12:26 AM
I think this is gonna look pretty cheap when Barwin starts negotiating for multi millions after his 2012 season.

LOL. Yup.

Seems the new direction is clear: (a) Identify and draft a great defensive player, then (b) make that "new kid" work hard to earn a spot in the rotation, then (c) after four years of that kid growing up and then demanding a big payday...(d)let the guy walk (Mario) or cut him (Winston) or trade him (DeMeco) in order for the team to (e) make room for the next kid in the draft.

Then repeat the steps above.

It's just part of it. Can't keep 'em all.

Allstar
06-16-2012, 12:28 AM
LOL. Yup.

Seems the new direction is clear: (a) Identify and draft a great defensive player, then (b) make that "new kid" work hard to earn a spot in the rotation, then (c) after four years of that kid growing up and then demanding a big payday...(d)let the guy walk (Mario) or cut him (Winston) or trade him (DeMeco) in order for the team to (e) make room for the next kid in the draft.

Then repeat the steps above.

It's just part of it. Can't keep 'em all.
Sounds like the Patriots and Steelers

Rey
06-16-2012, 02:57 AM
Sounds like the Patriots and Steelers

For the most part those teams hold on to their upper echelon players. When they start getting older is when you see those players move on.

Not directed at you, but we can't be looking to replace guys like Mario, Demeco and Winston every year. We lost quite a bit this off season. I think well be better than ok, but I think this off season was how it was based on circumstances. I don't expect this on a regular basis.

infantrycak
06-16-2012, 12:12 PM
For the most part those teams hold on to their upper echelon players. When they start getting older is when you see those players move on.

Yup. They work a player's prime part of their career typically a rookie contract and one new one/extension. Then they let them go when they are looking at a fat last contract which projects past their likely peak play. Their practice is basically what McNair described as a philosophy for the Texans.

ckhouston
06-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Dont really know the kid yet, but he seems humble and down to earth.

Looks like this may be a very nice pick before all is said and done.

xtruroyaltyx
08-12-2014, 01:32 PM
We need Merciless to step up. Not just for this season, but for his future in Houston.

would be nice if he could be a solid starter opposite Clowney. He and Brooks have the status of being fairly high picks...We need some real production from those guys.

PapaL
08-12-2014, 01:35 PM
I could see this being his last year here if here keeps playing the way he's been playing.

Salary Info; LINK (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/whitney-mercilus/):
2,082,024 salary
3,080,040 dead money

2,429,028 salary
998,016 dead money

xtruroyaltyx
08-12-2014, 01:38 PM
I could see this being his last year here if here keeps playing the way he's been playing.

Salary Info; LINK (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/whitney-mercilus/):
2,082,024 salary
3,080,040 dead money

2,429,028 salary
998,016 dead money

So we'd save like 1mil?

I'm just hoping he finds that go button for the team's sake. The only player that I'm confident in rushing from the edge is Clowney...and he's a rookie...

If something happens to Clowney (knock on wood), our outside pass rush could be non-existent...again...

Mr teX
08-12-2014, 01:42 PM
We need Merciless to step up. Not just for this season, but for his future in Houston.

would be nice if he could be a solid starter opposite Clowney. He and Brooks have the status of being fairly high picks...We need some real production from those guys.

Yeah, i had fairly high hopes for him coming into this year but he didn't make an impact whatsoever against the Cards....not even against the 2nd teamers....

My only hope at this point is that maybe he has the potential to look better with the 1's..............but then he's not running with the 1's....:toropalm:

PapaL
08-12-2014, 01:52 PM
So we'd save like 1mil?

I'm just hoping he finds that go button for the team's sake. The only player that I'm confident in rushing from the edge is Clowney...and he's a rookie...

If something happens to Clowney (knock on wood), our outside pass rush could be non-existent...again...

Ballpark, yeah. I'm sure we could find someone that can't rush or hold the edge for cheap.

If you can't generate pressure lined up next to JJ Watt, what good are you? People were giving Clowney crap for blowing up the TE trying to block him, "he should do that, it's TE", but that's something Mercilus hasn't been able to do and that's pretty damn sad.

Marcus
08-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Yeah, i had fairly high hopes for him coming into this year but he didn't make an impact whatsoever against the Cards....not even against the 2nd teamers....

My only hope at this point is that maybe he has the potential to look better with the 1's..............but then he's not running with the 1's....:toropalm:

Ahh jeez . . . what the hell happened to this guy?

DocBar
08-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Ahh jeez . . . what the hell happened to this guy?He is what he is. A 1 year wonder college player who hasn't learned how to effectively rush the passer at the NFL level. In other words, a high motor, good character BUST!
:toropalm:

xtruroyaltyx
08-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Ahh jeez . . . what the hell happened to this guy?

I'd like to argue that he is what he was coming out of college.

Miscast as a star type player.

I will say that this past game he looked even worse than the "ok" player I thought he could be.

I don't mind Merciless, but he needs to at least turn into a solid player...He still looks bad against the run and his pass rush is not good.

Needs to become more violent, physical. I thought maybe Vrabel could get through to him, but in that first game it wasn't the case. Maybe that will be a wake up call for him.

For the sake of the Texans we need Merciless to pan out....

Think about it...We had Mario...let him walk...to much money..Barwin...didn't look that great his last year here...let him walk...Reed....Meh....Merciless....???....Trevardo ....smh...Montgomery...ditto..

Even a guy like Willie Jefferson, who to me looked better as a rusher than some of those guys...he was too dumb to keep his head down and work...

Past Clowney our talent at OLB is looking mighty thin....

xtruroyaltyx
08-12-2014, 02:08 PM
A lot of people didn't like my idea before....And probably still won't...

But I would move Cushing to OLB in base defense...Move Reed inside to complete for a starting spot with Dent, Bullough, Tarpinian, Tuggle...ect....

Move Cushing back inside in nickel and dime...

Could still help in coverage as Clowney would be the primary edge rusher, but when needed to Rush he could also do that better than the guys we have out there now. Might help to rejuvinate him since there is less trash to deal with at OLB...Let Brooks Reed and those other guys deal with all those bodies flying at them in the middle of the field and taking on Full backs regularly and let Cushing get out in space a little more...

Plus he played on the edge before. He was an edge player primarily before going to mike full time when Wade got here.

I'd feel a lot better about our LB situation.

DocBar
08-12-2014, 02:13 PM
A lot of people didn't like my idea before....And probably still won't...

But I would move Cushing to OLB in base defense...Move Reed inside to complete for a starting spot with Dent, Bullough, Tarpinian, Tuggle...ect....

Move Cushing back inside in nickel and dime...

Could still help in coverage as Clowney would be the primary edge rusher, but when needed to Rush he could also do that better than the guys we have out there now. Might help to rejuvinate him since there is less trash to deal with at OLB...Let Brooks Reed and those other guys deal with all those bodies flying at them in the middle of the field and taking on Full backs regularly and let Cushing get out in space a little more...

Plus he played on the edge before. He was an edge player primarily before going to mike full time when Wade got here.

I'd feel a lot better about our LB situation.That's a ctually a pretty good idea if Cush is physically able to do it now. There are a couple of really good prospects at ILB and Cush has always been a good rusher. :thinking:

WolverineFan
08-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Not sure how I feel about Cushing on the edge these days. Dude was great there when he was younger, but he's lost a lot of agility and mobility because of those leg injuries. Even before the 2nd injury last year, he was really just a downhill plugger. In years past he would go sideline to sideline, but that job moved to Sharpton last year while Cushing became our inside plugger.

He's very good going downhill and attacking inside so I would like to keep him there.

Marcus
08-12-2014, 02:43 PM
I think it would be a good idea to just forget about Cushing. I don't think he's ever gonna play again. It's tragic what happened to him, but if anyone's been paying attention to what Doc has being saying . . . If he comes back to play like his former self, I'll be jazzed, but I'm not counting on it.

xtruroyaltyx
08-12-2014, 02:44 PM
I think it would be a good idea to just forget about Cushing. I don't think he's ever gonna play again. It's tragic what happened to him, but if anyone's been paying attention to what Doc has being saying . . . If he comes back to play like his former self, I'll be jazzed, but I'm not counting it.

Actually hadn't seen the quotes from Doc...

But if he has been saying that then that kind of makes reality set in...

thunderkyss
08-12-2014, 02:53 PM

Well, we need to get Doc in here because that's not what I remember him saying.

Before, when we thought it was a bone fracture below the knee, Doc was saying it shouldn't prevent Cush from being the guy he used to be.

However, he did raise caution when Cushing wasn't participating in OTAs, saying we were most likely not told everything about the true nature of Cushing's injury.

Then they came out & told us what the real problem was & I don't remember what he's said since.

DocBar
08-12-2014, 03:01 PM

Before, when we thought it was a bone fracture below the knee, Doc was saying it shouldn't prevent Cush from being the guy he used to be.

However, he did raise caution when Cushing wasn't participating in OTAs, saying we were most likely not told everything about the true nature of Cushing's injury.

Then they came out & told us what the real problem was & I don't remember what he's said since.Tibial plateau fracture, just like the one that ended Spencer's career before it got started. I'll dig up the thread. Very informative thread.

"Night and day offseasons for Brian Cushing (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104119)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/exerciseImages/sequences/284/Female/l/284_2.jpg

dc_txtech
08-12-2014, 03:05 PM

Then they came out & told us what the real problem was & I don't remember what he's said since.

Marcus is right.

A disconcerting response from OB on the Cushing question. Cushing was reported to have a fibula fracture with an ACL. "uncomplicated," this should be a 3 1/2 months max return to play........this is already 7 months. If a timetable for return is not over and done with, I have to be concerned that the injury involved more than an uncomplicated fibula and lateral collateral ligament (LCL) injury......in fact, that it may have somewhat affected/disrupted the ACL repair that he had undergone the season before in the same joint......or the injury involved the joint structures in some other manner. I hope OB's response carries a more benign explanation.

Here we are out 9 months already, and it appears that he is likely projected not to be taking the field sooner than the beginning of September.......11 months post injury. I am more convinced than ever that my previous impressions hold true. http://fineartbymary.com/smilies/stinkfish2.gifThis was not just a simple LCL and uncomplicated fibula fracture. One thing also sticks very much in my head. Remember when we were making fun of Tania Ganguli for reporting the wrong injury??..........a "tibia plateau fracture" ????????? Makes me sort of wonder if that was an inadvertent "slip."

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2357480&postcount=39

Lambert
08-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Cushing, even when healthy, has never played OLB in a 3-4. He did play OLB in a 4-3 but that is a much different animal. Perhaps he could learn the new position, but when healthy, he's a great ILB. Why re-invent the wheel?

xtruroyaltyx
08-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Cushing, even when healthy, has never played OLB in a 3-4. He did play OLB in a 4-3 but that is a much different animal. Perhaps he could learn the new position, but when healthy, he's a great ILB. Why re-invent the wheel?

I remember Cushing winning droy at olb and when demeco got hurt and they moved Cushing inside people freaked out. He had 1 sub par game and people proclaimed he'd never be able to play inside and it was dumb to try him there.

I gave my specific reasons on previous page. Could go back and forth with generalizations all day.

xtruroyaltyx
08-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Really...shouldn't have brought up Cushing here. This is merci's thread. We need him to get better.

DocBar
08-12-2014, 10:17 PM
I remember Cushing winning droy at olb and when demeco got hurt and they moved Cushing inside people freaked out. He had 1 sub par game and people proclaimed he'd never be able to play inside and it was dumb to try him there.

I gave my specific reasons on previous page. Could go back and forth with generalizations all day. As posted earlier, Cush played OLB in a 4-3 when he won DROY, not OLB at 3-4. I have no doubt Cush would be in the HOF if he'd been cast in the same role as Clay Matthews from day one. The dude is a beast and has much better instincts than Matthews. Yes, I'm a homer. Screw you.

Really...shouldn't have brought up Cushing here. This is merci's thread. We need him to get better.Good point...

IDEXAN
08-12-2014, 10:35 PM
As posted earlier, Cush played OLB in a 4-3 when he won DROY, not OLB at 3-4. I have no doubt Cush would be in the HOF if he'd been cast in the same role as Clay Matthews from day one. The dude is a beast and has much better instincts than Matthews. Yes, I'm a homer. Screw you.

Good point...
You mean cast in the role as a teams leading edge-rusher ? I can't see that ?

DocBar
08-12-2014, 10:47 PM
You mean cast in the role as a teams leading edge-rusher ? I can't see that ?I can. Cush is much better than Matthews. Get with the program and on the bandwagon, bro!!