With no one to throw the ball to em who cares

Texan JBZ
04-26-2012, 09:17 PM

This^^^^^^

Stemp
04-26-2012, 09:18 PM

Locker is going to get better. How much? Not sure. But I'm sure either of those guys can burn KJ in coverage

pissknocker
04-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Oh yea almost forgot f*@! Bud adams

The Pencil Neck
04-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Locker is going to get better. How much? Not sure. But I'm sure either of those guys can burn KJ in coverage

Then I guess we'll have to improve our pass rush....

sportfan73
04-26-2012, 09:44 PM
JoJo...

marv800
04-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Kareem Jackhole is sh*ttin bricks tonight

CretorFrigg
04-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Blackmon gets Blaine Gabbert throwing to him. We are fine. :)

ChampionTexan
04-26-2012, 09:52 PM

Not if they're on their backs looking at the clouds (or the roof of Reliant stadium as the case may be).

Errant Hothy
04-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Remind me again how much impact rookie WRs usually have? And while you are at it, remind how WRs help on the O line?

EllisUnit
04-26-2012, 09:58 PM
KJ - "Damn why tha AFC South trying to put me out of a job" :strangle:

BullNation4Life
04-26-2012, 10:03 PM
And we still have KJ.
:kubepalm:

Not gonna matter when the Texans defense is putting their QB on their asses...

EllisUnit
04-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Not gonna matter when the Texans defense is putting their QB on their asses...

unless we get a sack every single pass play of every single game, we have a need to be worried......

Thorn
04-26-2012, 10:09 PM
The 2nd best defense in the NFL last year just got a bit better. I'm not worried. :)

TdotTexas2Step
04-26-2012, 10:44 PM
The funny thing is I think this thread nailed half of it.

We don't need to worry about our division. Yes, the Jags got Blackmon, and the Titans have Britt and Wright now. But we have a stout defense that can handle dynamic WRs (see Bengals games with AJ Green) and WR duos (see Falcons game with White and Jones.)

It's the teams with multiple receiving threats that we seem to struggle against like when we played New Orleans.

I'm really interested in seeing how our defense performs against teams like New England and Green Bay, when perhaps a pass rush may need to be a step faster because the quarterback has so many options to go to.

badboy
04-26-2012, 10:53 PM
so this thread should be merged into my Pessimist thread?

TheDream34
04-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Blackmon and Wright are nice players, but the the two of them combined are still better than Andre Johnson. And plus, who's going to throw them the balls, Gabbert and Glasselbaeck.

TheDream34
04-26-2012, 10:59 PM
I meant to say not better than Andre Johnson

b0ng
04-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Jags got a good WR no doubt but Elaine Gabbert...

I was glad the Titans picked Wright because I didn't want him in Houston.

thunderkyss
04-26-2012, 11:32 PM
It's the teams with multiple receiving threats that we seem to struggle against like when we played New Orleans.

Our team didn't struggle against New Orleans because they had more receiving threats than Baltimore, we struggled because Darren Sproals is a motherfah@^**€

There was that one drive where Kareem refused to play up on his man, but other than that, they just took advantage of an overly aggressive defense.

GP
04-26-2012, 11:38 PM
I don't like how a lot of people are poo-poo'ing the WR talent just added to the Jags and Titans.

Do their QBs lack? Yes. But it takes one well-placed pass to Wright or Blackmon and they could hurt you really badly. Like "take it to the house" badly.

And let's not even talk about if that well-placed pass is against a certain CB in the back of the end zone.

I understand we're proud of our guy in the 1st round here. But let's not get drunk on our Kool Aid just yet. Use moderation.

Big Lou
04-26-2012, 11:42 PM
we will get a sack every single pass play of every single game. They have a need to be worried....

Fixes it for you!

b0ng
04-26-2012, 11:59 PM
I don't like how a lot of people are poo-poo'ing the WR talent just added to the Jags and Titans.

Do their QBs lack? Yes. But it takes one well-placed pass to Wright or Blackmon and they could hurt you really badly. Like "take it to the house" badly.

And let's not even talk about if that well-placed pass is against a certain CB in the back of the end zone.

I understand we're proud of our guy in the 1st round here. But let's not get drunk on our Kool Aid just yet. Use moderation.

I'll poo poo Wright and Gabbert all I want. I've stated before that Wright as a prospect is not what I wanted in the first round. It's going to take more than one good pass from Gabbert to Blackmon to beat the Texans.

TdotTexas2Step
04-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Our team didn't struggle against New Orleans because they had more receiving threats than Baltimore, we struggled because Darren Sproals is a motherfah@^**€

There was that one drive where Kareem refused to play up on his man, but other than that, they just took advantage of an overly aggressive defense.

To each their own, but I felt helpless watching that game, like Brees knew we couldn't cover everyone. But then again, he probably feels that way against most teams.

Sproles had an effective game, but other then that one screen pass, it wasn't too spectacular. He may have also been kept under 100 yards from scrimmage even.

I might be remembering it wrong, but I thought it was a combination of Moore, Henderson, Meachem, and Sproles, with Jimmy Graham up the middle.

Brisco_County
04-27-2012, 12:11 AM
It's very possible that Adams took Wright just to piss off Houston. They could have taken a guard to block for Chris Johnson.

Just curious, what's the knock on Wright?

wolf123
04-27-2012, 12:15 AM
It's very possible that Adams took Wright just to piss off Houston. They could have taken a guard to block for Chris Johnson.

Didn't run as well as expected, Lacks strength, concerns about his body and height.

Wright is gonna be a huge pain in our side for a long time...

TheMatrix31
04-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Memo to Indianapolis, Jacksonville, and Tennessee:

Just Bring It.

Marcus
04-27-2012, 01:07 AM

Naaa . . . leave moderation for the moderators.;)

Goldensilence
04-27-2012, 01:25 AM
I think if you're not at least on face value nervous about each at this moment adding playmakers outside, there's something wrong with you.

It is nice having a #1 CB who can handle a top receiver for opponents, but a lot of people are hitting it right, IF KJ is our outright #2....there is reason for concern.

They did at least add a piece in the pass rush, which could possibly negate it. I am just nervous about any one year wonder.

TheFosterTrain
04-27-2012, 01:54 AM
Can't we just hope KJ finally shows up this year? Haaa.

fiasco west
04-27-2012, 02:03 AM
And we still have KJ.
:kubepalm:

Despite the common misconception here...the Texans secondary was one of the better ones in all of the NFL and this is including KJ who played most of the snaps.

I'm not worried about it.

Blackmon will be Jacksonville's #1 WR which means he'll get Jjo and Wright will be Tennesse's slot or #2 guy and if they plan on going deep to him good luck with that. They'll have Merciless, Cushing, Reed, Barwin, Watt, and Smith all coming after em.

The Cush
04-27-2012, 02:16 AM
The additions of Blackmon and Wright to the Jags and the Titans will worry our secondary as much as the addition of Mercilus will to their OL and quarterbacks.

ObsiWan
04-27-2012, 02:32 AM

I think you're touching on something that worries me about Tenn. Now that they - theoretically - have two legit WR threats (and a fairly decent youngster at TE) our safeties have to pay attention to the WRs and can't "cheat" by keeping tabs on CJ. If Tenn. has the sense to spread the field, CJ's speed in open spaces could now be more of an issue. ...just like Sproles did when we had to keep tabs on all of New Orleans' WRs & TEs.

....could be trouble if they spread us out and we end up having to cover CJ with a LB.

SW H-TOWN
04-27-2012, 02:35 AM
Does Jackson leave something to be desired, yes. Was our pass defense really good last year, yes. I'm not going to loose any sleep over this. Plus I trust Wade in his evaluation of pass rushers and Mercilus was a holy terror last year with a knack for creating turnovers.

Premier
04-27-2012, 02:59 AM
KJ is a good enough cover corner to blanket his man while the texans pass rush is getting after the qb. when the pass rush isnt getting any pressure is when the entire secondary is vulnerable.. kinda like that 4th quarter in new orleans..

Wolf6151
04-27-2012, 03:17 AM
Blackmon and Wright aren't even close to the quality of prospect that AJ Green and Julio Jones were last year. Also KJ got alot better last year and I expect him to do the same this next season. Even Vance Joseph, the DB coach, is speaking highly of him. I think many of you underrate KJ.

ckhouston
04-27-2012, 06:06 AM
Not if they're on their backs looking at the clouds (or the roof of Reliant stadium as the case may be).

Exactly. We are going to have the best pash rush in the league. Chances any WR in our division has a good game against us is very slim.

Thorn
04-27-2012, 06:12 AM
The additions of Blackmon and Wright to the Jags and the Titans will worry our secondary as much as the addition of Mercilus will to their OL and quarterbacks.

Exactly. They went offense, we went defense. And our offense is still better than ANY in the AFC South. Besides, we still have the rest of the draft. The meat of the draft always comes in the middle rounds anyway.

Lucky
04-27-2012, 06:19 AM
I think Johnathan Joseph can handle either of them. Both of these guys play better out of the slot, and Jackson rarely covers the slot receiver. And as others have suggested, the WR can't get the ball when their QB is on his back.

TimeKiller
04-27-2012, 07:38 AM
You guys are seriously worried about Blaine Gabbert? Andre Johnson couldn't make that clown look good, what's Blackmon gonna do?

Wright??? Wrong hahaha...

BIG TORO
04-27-2012, 07:40 AM
I think part of there strategy was to keep them from going to Houston and them having to worry about two big weapons.

SheTexan
04-27-2012, 07:53 AM
I think part of there strategy was to keep them from going to Houston and them having to worry about two big weapons.

If that's true, then they worried for no reason. We wouldn't have picked either of them anyway! Our FO is stuck on picking a D guy!

Blake
04-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Luckily it takes more than a big time WR to be a good team.

See Texans 2003-2008

Playoffs
04-27-2012, 08:25 AM
so this thread should be merged into my Pessimist thread?
No shyte ..... talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. :ahhaha:

GP
04-27-2012, 08:26 AM
I'll poo poo Wright and Gabbert all I want. I've stated before that Wright as a prospect is not what I wanted in the first round. It's going to take more than one good pass from Gabbert to Blackmon to beat the Texans.

And you could be wrong in your draft eval, too.

None of us know. But what I know is that there's too much confidence going on around here right now.

No games have been played yet, but our rivals are trying to add WRs that will give them a better shot vs our defense. That should cause some level of caution for us. Not fear. Just caution.

Blake
04-27-2012, 08:29 AM
And you could be wrong in your draft eval, too.

None of us know. But what I know is that there's too much confidence going on around here right now.

No games have been played yet, but our rivals are trying to add WRs that will give them a better shot vs our defense. That should cause some level of caution for us. Not fear. Just caution.

I dont understand your logic. We should be cautious about their picks, but not have confidence about ours?

The way I see it, we took a top 5 defense and added a pass rusher. They took bottom of the barrel offenses and added a wide out.

HuttoKarl
04-27-2012, 08:32 AM

We don't need to worry about our division. Yes, the Jags got Blackmon, and the Titans have Britt and Wright now. But we have a stout defense that can handle dynamic WRs (see Bengals games with AJ Green) and WR duos (see Falcons game with White and Jones.)

I'm really interested in seeing how our defense performs against teams like New England and Green Bay, when perhaps a pass rush may need to be a step faster because the quarterback has so many options to go to.

That's the QB at work. I don't think a lot of NOLA's WR's would be jack squat on a team like Jacksonville or Tennessee. Same with Pee Manning and his Colts teams...is Stokely or Garcon or whoever a superstud with any other QB tossing passes their way? Is it really the QB's options to pass to or the QB making it happen? Brady...Rodgers...Brees...they make their WR's better.

Errant Hothy
04-27-2012, 08:53 AM

Adding WR talent to teams with questinble play at QB (and that's being generous to the Jags) and defeciences on the O-line fails to concern me. It only fails more when the WR talnet being added are rookies. Sorry.

Vinny
04-27-2012, 08:55 AM

We don't need to worry about our division.We only won one more game than the Titans did last season.

80tothezone
04-27-2012, 09:00 AM

they started beating us (if I remember correctly) when they went five wide after jojo got hurt.

sent from way too close to Dallas....

Thorn
04-27-2012, 09:10 AM
We only won one more game than the Titans did last season.

And they were also in the wild card hunt until the last game. The Titans will not be pushovers. I still say we take the division, but the Titans will come in 2nd and probably be a royal pain in our butts like they usually are.

GP
04-27-2012, 09:11 AM
I dont understand your logic. We should be cautious about their picks, but not have confidence about ours?

The way I see it, we took a top 5 defense and added a pass rusher. They took bottom of the barrel offenses and added a wide out.

I never said we shouldn't have confidence about ours.

Britt was hurt the majority of 2011. With him, they are a very dangerous team. They'll have Britt and a slot guy in Wright who won't be nearly the hot garbage that some are making him out to be.

The Titans didn't finish too far behind us, Blake. All in all, I think they picked up a WR they felt they needed in order to help out their QB against a Texans defense that will try to get to the QB before he can throw it. That doesn't mean we're going to get to the Qb every time.

EllisUnit
04-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Despite the common misconception here...the Texans secondary was one of the better ones in all of the NFL and this is including KJ who played most of the snaps.
I'm not worried about it.

Blackmon will be Jacksonville's #1 WR which means he'll get Jjo and Wright will be Tennesse's slot or #2 guy and if they plan on going deep to him good luck with that. They'll have Merciless, Cushing, Reed, Barwin, Watt, and Smith all coming after em.

Hold up,,,,,,he SPLIT playing time with a street FA, so his opportunities to look bad were very limited. Now that he is the full time guy things will be a lot different.

You see the contract that J. Allen got from Cincy right ??? If KJ played most of the snaps then why would J. Allen of gotten as good of a deal as he did ?

GP
04-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Anybody who thinks the Titans won't remember they were only one game back of the Texans is fooling themselves.

We need to slow down a bit. 2012 likely won't be a runaway by the Texans. It has the chance to be, but the games haven't been played yet.

Vinny
04-27-2012, 09:16 AM
And they were also in the wild card hunt until the last game. The Titans will not be pushovers. I still say we take the division, but the Titans will come in 2nd and probably be a royal pain in our butts like they usually are.
They picked up All Pro G Steve Hutchison also...their offense will be better next season.

Blake
04-27-2012, 09:17 AM
I never said we shouldn't have confidence about ours.

Britt was hurt the majority of 2011. With him, they are a very dangerous team. They'll have Britt and a slot guy in Wright who won't be nearly the hot garbage that some are making him out to be.

The Titans didn't finish too far behind us, Blake. All in all, I think they picked up a WR they felt they needed in order to help out their QB against a Texans defense that will try to get to the QB before he can throw it. That doesn't mean we're going to get to the Qb every time.

I hear ya. But with the Titans, you cant take 1+1 and get 2. We dont even know who the starting QB will be next season.

If they get Britt back, we get Schaub back. And I think this team is much more dangerous with Schaub at the helm.

GP
04-27-2012, 09:18 AM
They picked up All Pro G Steve Hutchison also...their offense will be better next season.

You beat me to that one, as well.

The good news is that the Titans defense is shaky. That's the key for us in 2012. We have to put points on the board, run away early, and make the Titans offense string out drives all game long.

EllisUnit
04-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Like we built the texans to beat the colts, now teams are building to beat the texans.......

we have KJ so logic way to beat us is have 2 good WRs, ref 2010 season ! Its not like we have 2 good CBs, we have 1 good CB and another so so CB. Jojo cant cover his man and KJs man so teams are building aorund our weakness we know its a weakness so do they.

EllisUnit
04-27-2012, 09:24 AM
I hear ya. But with the Titans, you cant take 1+1 and get 2. We dont even know who the starting QB will be next season.

If they get Britt back, we get Schaub back. And I think this team is much more dangerous with Schaub at the helm.

i do have to agree here, we were scoring machines before schaub went out. Infact we were in the top 3 in scoring offense before he went down. So having Schaub back will make us a lot better as well.

People seem to forget all the injuries we had last season, Sure the titans were only 1 game behind us, but we were without our starting and 2nd string QB and without AJ for most of the season. them 2 back full time and we are a different team all together

Hervoyel
04-27-2012, 09:28 AM
I find myself unconcerned. Not because these guys aren't potentially going to hurt us or because KJ is suddenly going to turn it on and turn into Aso 2.0 or something. I just know we've been in a division with Peyton Manning throwing to Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison with a defense that was for the most part unbelievably worse than what we have now.

How much worse than that can either of these situations be?

Add to that the simple fact that a percentage of WR's never pan out and I'm not more scared of these guys than I would be any other first round WR. One of the two will end up being a nobody in all likelihood. The other one (say Blackmon for instance) might find himself with no one to throw to him. Andre Johnson might have piled up stats but he didn't kill anybody while David Carr was here.

Sure Kareem Jackson needs to worry about these guys just like Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker need to worry about our new first rounder. Nobody needs to get their panties in a wad over any of them just yet.

Vinny
04-27-2012, 09:30 AM
I find myself unconcerned. Not because these guys aren't potentially going to hurt us or because KJ is suddenly going to turn it on and turn into Aso 2.0 or something. I just know we've been in a division with Peyton Manning throwing to Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison with a defense that was for the most part unbelievably worse than what we have now.

How much worse than that can either of these situations be?

Add to that the simple fact that a percentage of WR's never pan out and I'm not more scared of these guys than I would be any other first round WR. One of the two will end up being a nobody in all likelihood. The other one (say Blackmon for instance) might find himself with no one to throw to him. Andre Johnson might have piled up stats but he didn't kill anybody while David Carr was here.

Sure Kareem Jackson needs to worry about these guys just like Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker need to worry about our new first rounder. Nobody needs to get their panties in a wad over any of them just yet.
That and you just have to assume that NFL teams will be chock full of NFL players. Teams shore up their weaknesses, and there is no Rice/Vandy on the schedule.

Hervoyel
04-27-2012, 10:11 AM
That and you just have to assume that NFL teams will be chock full of NFL players. Teams shore up their weaknesses, and there is no Rice/Vandy on the schedule.

Exactly. Until we find ourselves facing the 2002 Texans we just need to be ready for real opponents and consider ourselves fortunate when one of our division rivals drafts a guy who busts.

Premier
04-27-2012, 10:19 AM
You see the contract that J. Allen got from Cincy right ??? If KJ played most of the snaps then why would J. Allen of gotten as good of a deal as he did ?

because mike brown is an idiot...

Big Lou
04-27-2012, 11:32 AM

I was kinda thinking that when it happened, but I forgot he's only 5' 10". I would rather go with guys in the 6' 2" 215 lb range.

TheGoldenGreek
04-27-2012, 11:43 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1109/nfl_g_jjoseph_dj_300.jpg

The Medic01
04-27-2012, 12:17 PM
I think you're touching on something that worries me about Tenn. Now that they - theoretically - have two legit WR threats (and a fairly decent youngster at TE) our safeties have to pay attention to the WRs and can't "cheat" by keeping tabs on CJ. If Tenn. has the sense to spread the field, CJ's speed in open spaces could now be more of an issue. ...just like Sproles did when we had to keep tabs on all of New Orleans' WRs & TEs.

....could be trouble if they spread us out and we end up having to cover CJ with a LB.

Cush will knock CJ back to the bench.

Ryan
04-27-2012, 01:05 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1109/nfl_g_jjoseph_dj_300.jpg

http://qkme.me/3p0542

Dutchrudder
04-27-2012, 01:07 PM
http://qkme.me/3p0542

http://i.qkme.me/3p0542.jpg

sandman
04-27-2012, 01:18 PM
because mike brown is an idiot...

This. If Allen was so much better than KJ to command that level of FA $$$, do you honestly believe that Wade would let him go and keep KJ?

Not to mention, if Allen was that good, why couldn't he keep KJ on the bench and take all the snaps?

Never take the $$$ amount of a FA contract to effectively represent the talent of the player. Teams overpay for their needs all the time.

Carr Bombed
04-27-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm not concerned at all... Big 12 offensive weapons (mainly WRs) are HIGHLY OVERRATED. They run freely through the cupcake big 12 defenses that they face. We've been drafting out of the SEC and big 10 for years now, so yeah... color me unconcerned.

Blackmon is a good WR, but I don't think his ceiling is Andre or Calvin Johnson like... he'll be a solid player... Whenever the Jags find another QB that is. He isn't going to be very hard to stop with Elaine throwing him the rock.

Kendall Wright is a overrated WR, who played against weak competition and in a wide open offense. he'll get yards as a number two with Britt drawing coverage away from him, but I don't think he'll ever be a number 1.

Crabtree (another big 12 phenom) was a higher rated prospect than both of these guys coming out and we all saw how he's performed after leaving the spread and big 12 conference.

thunderkyss
04-27-2012, 10:56 PM

We might be the better team, but that doesn't mean we'll win the division.

If we split our games with them like we did last year, I think the division will be in play 'til late in the season, where we'll play NE, Indy, Min, Indy & they'll play Indy, NYJ, GB, & Jac

aussie_texan
04-27-2012, 11:44 PM
We might be the better team, but that doesn't mean we'll win the division.

If we split our games with them like we did last year, I think the division will be in play 'til late in the season, where we'll play NE, Indy, Min, Indy & they'll play Indy, NYJ, GB, & Jac

at minimum we should go 5-1 in the division i would be disappointed if we did anything less.

DocBar
04-28-2012, 02:52 PM
THIS (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_5388_Tennessee_Titans%3A_the_biggest_losers_of_ Round_1.html) might help assuage some of the concern with the tAcks.
It didn’t take long for the biggest loser to emerge from the first round of the 2012 draft.

The Tennessee Titans painted a big, navy blue “L” on their foreheads when they used the No. 19 overall pick to grab Kendall Wright, a Shiny Hood Ornament wide receiver out of Baylor. The great football philosopher Tom Petty once said that even the losers get lucky sometime. Must be the strategy Tennessee management employed when it made the pick: hoping to get lucky just once drafting wide receivers.

The team certainly can't be banking on a rich history of success. In fact, the team's track record when it comes to this team harvesting notable wide receivers is truly one of the great horror stories of recent draft history.

Now, rest assured: Wright was a mighty fine receiver in college. He caught an incredible 108 passes for 1,663 yards and 14 TD last season as the top batterymate of Heisman winner Robert Griffin III. He could prove to be the second coming of Jerry Rice.

But even then, even if he’s a home run, he will do little to improve Tennessee’s fortunes. The sad truth that NFL teams are slow to accept is that even the greatest wide receivers rarely make better quarterbacks in particular or better teams in general. Quite the contrary: great quarterbacks and great teams make receivers better. It’s one of the foundations of the Cold, Hard Football Facts Shiny Hood Ornament Man Law.

The evidence to support the Shiny Hood Ornament Man Law is now so overwhelming that it’s the equivalent of gridiron gravity. You can doubt it all you want. But you’ll become a believer the second you jump out a third-story window and pretend you can fly – or pretend you can build a winner around wide receivers.

No team in recent football history has crashed to the ground in a crumpled heap of broken limbs and bad draft picks more often than the Titans – which makes their Thursday night decision all the more disturbing. The Titans have been burned by Shiny Hood Ornaments more often than any team in football over the past decade. They still have not learned their lesson. It’s embarrassing, actually.

Here are the Cold, Hard Football Facts from our “Stats up the Wazoo” pre-draft look at each NFL team’s 10-year draft history.

The Titans drafted 15 wide receivers over the previous 10 years, more than any team in football. In fact, no team has drafted more players at any position (the Cowboys are tied, drafting 15 CBs over the same period).

The Titans also devoted 56 Value Points to those picks, the most draft resources any team has devoted to any position over the past decade (tied with the Bengals, who devoted 56 Value Points to linebackers).

Wright is now the 16th wide receiver the Titans have drafted since 2002 (among 97 picks). And they have now devoted 63 Value Points to the position – again, more draft resources than any team has devoted to any position since the 2002 draft.

Yet the Titans have got almost NOTHING out of the previous 15 receivers. Here are the total career numbers for each receiver drafted by Tennessee since 2002.

Did the Titans even look at their own history before they wasted a valuable No. 1 pick on Wright? It's truly a forgettable list. You, there, with the wing sauce on your wife beater. Yes, you! You're a hard-core football guy. And even your probably haven't heard of most of these guys.

Five of the 15 previous wide receiver draft picks failed to make even a single catch in the NFL. Britt, a No. 1 pick in 2009, is the only player close to producing a competent NFL career – and even then the team must have expected something better than an average of 34 catches, 588 yards and 5 TDs per season when they devoted a No. 1 pick to him.

The average CAREER numbers for these 15 players are stunning: 34 catches, 457 yards, 2.7 TDs. That’s not even a notable season for a receiver these days. But, remember, those aren’t season numbers. That’s the average career of the players to whom the Titans have devoted nearly 20 percent of their draft-pick assets over the past 11 years.

The lack of impact has been noted on the scoreboard and in the win-loss colum.

Tennessee has enjoyed just two playoff victories over this period and they’ve enjoyed just one season ranked in the top 10 in scoring: 5th in 2003 (27.2 PPG).

Wide receivers in the best of times have a high bust rate. Shiny Hood Ornaments simply cannot be counted on to deliver in the NFL, no matter how brightly they sparkled in college. Titans history itself is proof. Yet team management – over two different regimes now – simply cannot resist the allure of the Shiny Hood Ornament, even if the evidence that these are wasted picks are overwhelming.

But wait!

It gets worse for the Biggest Losers of the 2012 Draft (so far). The Cold, Hard Football Facts tell us it is critical to draft for NEED. You need to utilize the power of the draft to fill the statistical holes that haunted you the previous season. We take a look at this effort each off-season with our "Fillabiltiy Index." It's our look at which teams did the best job addressing their statistical weak links from the year before.

The passing game was not Tennessee’s biggest statistical hole in 2011. In fact, the team was a respectable No. 14 in Real Passing YPA, No. 12 in Real Quarterback Rating and No. 14 in Offensive Passer Rating.

The Titans instead had a critical hole on the other side of the ball: they were No. 30 on our Defensive Hog Index, year after year one of the most important indicators of postseason success. Teams better in the DHI are 40-15 in the playoffs since we introduced the indicator in 2007.

No team in football last year was worse than Tennessee when it came to the all-important skill of pressuring the passer. The Titans forced a Negative Pass Play on just 6.3 percent of opponent dropbacks in 2011, dead last in the NFL. The Super Bowl champ Giants were third best in the NFL last year, forcing a Negative Pass Play on 10.7 percent of opponent drop backs.

The Titans defense, in other words, is a long way from Super Bowl caliber. And last we checked, Shiny Hood Ornaments make really bad pass rushers.

Wasted pick. Wasted day for the Tennessee Losers. Don't forget that Brandon Harris is waiting in the wings and Jason Allen's departure clears the way for him to start making an impact on the field.

EllisUnit
04-28-2012, 04:27 PM
This. If Allen was so much better than KJ to command that level of FA $$$, do you honestly believe that Wade would let him go and keep KJ?

Not to mention, if Allen was that good, why couldn't he keep KJ on the bench and take all the snaps? Never take the $$$ amount of a FA contract to effectively represent the talent of the player. Teams overpay for their needs all the time.

the better question would be if we are 100% secure about KJ why couldnt KJ keep a street FA/1st round bust on the bench instead of splitting time with him ?

That is the more accurate question considering we are stuck with KJ next season and not allen !

thunderkyss
04-28-2012, 07:57 PM
the better question would be if we are 100% secure about KJ why couldnt KJ keep a street FA/1st round bust on the bench instead of splitting time with him ?

That is the more accurate question considering we are stuck with KJ next season and not allen !

Sounds like haterade to me. The comment he replied to was why did Allen get so much money from the Bengals.

EllisUnit
04-29-2012, 01:05 AM
Sounds like haterade to me. The comment he replied to was why did Allen get so much money from the Bengals.

Ref whole conversation !

thunderkyss
04-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Ref whole conversation !

THIS JUST IN! .... Wade knows more than we do about football.

:kitten:

Kthx
04-29-2012, 05:35 PM
I don't know how things will play out during the season and I think the Texas had as good of a draft as any in our division for the most part. But at the same time I feel like our division as a whole got much better at skill positions where we drafted mainly depth and raw skill talent. Offensively I would say we have a lot more to worry about while our defense might not get that much better and our offensive line is still a question mark.

G27RR
04-29-2012, 06:48 PM
I don't know how things will play out during the season and I think the Texas had as good of a draft as any in our division for the most part. But at the same time I feel like our division as a whole got much better at skill positions where we drafted mainly depth and raw skill talent. Offensively I would say we have a lot more to worry about while our defense might not get that much better and our offensive line is still a question mark.

If our defense doesn't get that much better, does that mean we only move from #2 to #1 in the NFL?

:kitten:

I agree with OL concern, but I have no concerns about our defense.

Kthx
04-29-2012, 06:57 PM
I meant more along the line of our defense is going to have a harder time maintaining #2 in Defense this year again when the Colts (might) have a QB and most teams have more offensive threats.

G27RR
04-29-2012, 07:05 PM
I meant more along the line of our defense is going to have a harder time maintaining #2 in Defense this year again when the Colts (might) have a QB and most teams have more offensive threats.

I see what you're saying, I was just having fun with your choice of words. I think our only weak spot is CB after Joseph, so I'm still not too worried. Preseason and the first few games could change that, but I'll wait and see.

Kthx
04-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Sorry im still on edge from the political side of the forums, totally agree with you though.

rolyat93
04-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Kenny Britt has potential, but do you really think Kendall Wright is a "big time" WR?

G27RR
04-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Sorry im still on edge from the political side of the forums, totally agree with you though.

No problem, I had to ban myself from those areas. It's too easy to get myself riled up.

G27RR
04-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Kenny Britt has potential, but do you really think Kendall Wright is a "big time" WR?

He makes things happen after the catch, and he adjusts very well to deep balls while they're in the air. He made RG3 look better than even he was on a few throws I saw last season because of his ability to adjust and go get it.

He was a consistent producer, even when RG3 missed most of one season a few years ago, and he consistently improved throughout his career.

As for big time, he's not going to be elite like Andre, but he could potentially be well above your average guy. We'll have to see how he transitions.

thunderkyss
05-02-2012, 11:40 AM

Not even Peyton Manning came into the league on fire. I'm not worried about Andrew Luck. You've got your Cam Newtons, Dante Culpeppers, & Donovan McNabbs who appear to have "instant" success, but those guys usually have guys like Randy Moss & Steve Smith to help them out.

Andrew Luck doesn't.

Texaninlild
05-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Blackmon gets Blaine Gabbert throwing to him. We are fine. :)

Chuck and duck Blaine = :hides:

TheRealJoker
05-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Not even Peyton Manning came into the league on fire. I'm not worried about Andrew Luck. You've got your Cam Newtons, Dante Culpeppers, & Donovan McNabbs who appear to have "instant" success, but those guys usually have guys like Randy Moss & Steve Smith to help them out.

Andrew Luck doesn't.

Reggie Wayne isn't exactly chopped liver...

Texan_Bill
05-02-2012, 12:36 PM

No he's not chopped liver, but he is about 67 years old. :kitten:

Ryan
05-02-2012, 12:40 PM

More like a TV dinner Salisbury Steak.

b0ng
05-02-2012, 12:55 PM

Andrew Luck doesn't.

Steve Smith was thought to be washed up since he had basically put up pedestrian numbers in the last few years of the Fox regime. Cam Newton's success in Carolina during his rookie year was nothing short of amazing and easily the best rookie QB performance you, I, or anybody else who has been watching the NFL has seen, like ever. You can't really lump that guy in with anybody else as far as discussing singular rookie success. And remember, Carolina was an absolute dumpster fire the year before.

Really my point is, Luck could surprise just like Newton did his rookie year (albeit, I find it extremely hard to believe he'd have nearly as many rushing TD's), and Wayne is as decent of a target as Smith. I don't think the Colts offense will be bad, per se, I think that defense is what's going to undo Luck for the next couple of years.

Rey
05-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Steve Smith was thought to be washed up since he had basically put up pedestrian numbers in the last few years of the Fox regime. Cam Newton's success in Carolina during his rookie year was nothing short of amazing and easily the best rookie QB performance you, I, or anybody else who has been watching the NFL has seen, like ever. You can't really lump that guy in with anybody else as far as discussing singular rookie success. And remember, Carolina was an absolute dumpster fire the year before.

Really my point is, Luck could surprise just like Newton did his rookie year (albeit, I find it extremely hard to believe he'd have nearly as many rushing TD's), and Wayne is as decent of a target as Smith. I don't think the Colts offense will be bad, per se, I think that defense is what's going to undo Luck for the next couple of years.

The fact that we don't play Luck until the end of the season gives even more credence to what you're saying...

Theoretically he should have improved by that time...

thunderkyss
05-06-2012, 05:31 PM
The fact that we don't play Luck until the end of the season gives even more credence to what you're saying...

Theoretically he should have improved by that time...

Wade's going to figure out how to get to him by then.

Corrosion
05-06-2012, 05:48 PM

Wont HWWNBM's "invisible offensive line" be blocking for Luck next year ?!

GP
05-07-2012, 02:48 AM

Not to mention, if Allen was that good, why couldn't he keep KJ on the bench and take all the snaps?

Never take the $$$ amount of a FA contract to effectively represent the talent of the player. Teams overpay for their needs all the time.

If the Bengals were only given a choice of KJ or Allen, which one do you think they would pick?

Let's pretend that KJ was a free agent just like Allen was this year. Do you genuinely think the Bengals would invest the money into KJ instead of Allen?

No way would they spend the same cash on KJ. Plus, they had to do something because they let Joseph go the year before. Allen represented the best bang for the buck with what was out there.

Allstar
05-07-2012, 03:00 AM
Aren't the Bengals playing Allen at Safety? They have Leon Hall, Nate Clements, Terence Newman, Pac-man, and just picked a CB in the first round. That's a lot of CBs fighting for playing time. I can't imagine they give Allen the contract they did and not give him a significant role, and it looks like he'd be more prominent at safety.

ThaShark316
05-07-2012, 04:13 AM
Our two division rivals did what to stop

http://mit.zenfs.com/209/2011/08/yahoo_arian_foster_2.jpg

?

Holla at ya boy.

Lucky
05-07-2012, 05:49 AM
Aren't the Bengals playing Allen at Safety? They have Leon Hall, Nate Clements, Terence Newman, Pac-man, and just picked a CB in the first round.

The Bengals cut Clements last week.

76Texan
05-07-2012, 11:34 AM
The Bengals cut Clements last week.

I couldn't find any confirmation on this.
All I read was speculation.