PDA

View Full Version : Pro Bowl is all but dead

Playoffs
04-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Pro Bowl is all but dead
By Mike Freeman | National NFL Insider

The NFL and union are in negotiations that could possibly kill the concept of the Pro Bowl game, multiple sources confirmed.

Both league and union officials say privately that while this year's game might still be played, it's highly unlikely the concept would last beyond that. The story was first reported by ESPN...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/18839915/pro-bowl-is-all-but-dead

gwallaia
04-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Good. It's a big waste of time anyway.

Dutchrudder
04-26-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm guessing this means it wasn't making enough money.

Rey
04-26-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm guessing this means it wasn't making enough money.

Bingo.

IDEXAN
04-26-2012, 10:17 AM
I think the players totally enjoy the recognition of being selected to the Pro Bowl, but have no interest in playing in the game. Solution: select the PB players and then just let them attend a big party (in the Hawaiian vocab known as a Luau), in Hawaii in lieu of any kind of football activities.

Dutchrudder
04-26-2012, 10:35 AM
I think the players totally enjoy the recognition of being selected to the Pro Bowl, but have no interest in playing in the game. Solution: select the PB players and then just let them attend a big party (in the Hawaiian vocab known as a Luau), in Hawaii in lieu of any kind of football activities.

Some players like it. Guys like Schaub, Vince Young, Garrard all are "pro-bowl" QBs thanks to other guys dropping out or getting injured. None of them will ever been the hunt for all-pro honors, but their fans sure do like to throw around the term to describe them.

drs23
04-26-2012, 10:35 AM

So, Pro Bowl partyers? Hmmm

TimeKiller
04-26-2012, 10:56 AM
That's too bad. I think they've widely ignored a pretty decent amount of fans who would like to see less of a game and more of a skills competition. Like a combine for established players or something. I would've watched it. Oh well....

I guess my dream of seeing super bowl winner vs. team of all-stars for all the glory is completely dead. You wanna see guys get after it for real? Put bragging rights up.

Yankee_In_TX
04-26-2012, 11:48 AM
I think players not showing up (literally and figuratively) puts a bad product on the field and the NFL is blackmailing the players - you want a party in Hawaii you're going to have to actually go to and play the game

GP
04-26-2012, 12:06 PM
And the player paycheck for playing in PB was higher than the paycheck for players playing in the SB.

Pretty embarrassing that you pay players more for half-speed honorary game than for the title game.

GP
04-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Know who is REALLY bummed about this?

ESPN and NFLN analysts who went over there to "cover" the news. Bummer.

Playoffs
04-26-2012, 01:02 PM
That's too bad. I think they've widely ignored a pretty decent amount of fans who would like to see less of a game and more of a skills competition. Like a combine for established players or something. I would've watched it. Oh well....My understanding is the game will be done away with. Pro Bowl selections & incentives will remain, and there's no stopping the league from sending the guys out to Hawaii for some kind of skills show or golf tourney/charity fundraiser/fan interaction lovefest.

Thorn
04-26-2012, 01:08 PM
My understanding is the game will be done away with. Pro Bowl selections & incentives will remain, and there's no stopping the league from sending the guys out to Hawaii for some kind of skills show or golf tourney/charity fundraiser/fan interaction lovefest.

Might as well do that. I don't watch the game anyway, and I doubt I'd watch something like that either. Or at least not the whole thing. I'm sure I'd watch highlites of Texan players gettin' some camera and love time.

Yankee_In_TX
04-26-2012, 01:08 PM
My understanding is the game will be done away with. Pro Bowl selections & incentives will remain, and there's no stopping the league from sending the guys out to Hawaii for some kind of skills show or golf tourney/charity fundraiser/fan interaction lovefest.

Right now nothing is dead. The League wants to suspend the game to blackmail palyers into taking it more seriously.

To avoid issues with the NFLPA there will still be voting and selections and teams will be required to enforce bonuses in contracts.

Texan_Bill
04-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Last year's Pro Bowl was a freaking joke. I couldn't even watch the entire game.

Rey
04-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Last year's Pro Bowl was a freaking joke. I couldn't even watch the entire game.

The end of the game is where the intensity stepped up...

Goatcheese
04-26-2012, 02:18 PM

Some of the first half was boring, but I enjoyed the rest of the game.

I like to watch guys go out there and just have fun playing the great game of foozball. You see all sorts of things in the Pro Bowl that players wouldn't normally do(e.g. laterals after a pick). Plus, the refs generally don't ruin the game by throwing flags constantly and trying to get on camera to show off their biceps in way too tight shirts.

The1ApplePie
04-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Years ago they had skill drills during Pro Bowl weekend that were awesome.

I remember Larry Allen being in one that involved the bench. After he took his turn, the others didn't even bother trying to match him. A Steelers OLB may an honest run at it, but burnt out about 15 reps before catching him.

gwallaia
04-26-2012, 02:26 PM
They should have the Pro Bowl players compete in a huge Madden tournament against each other.

hot pickle
04-26-2012, 04:01 PM
I went to the pro bowl when it was in miami, and had a decent time. beer was way to expensive, so we only stayed till half time lol

NCTexan
04-26-2012, 04:02 PM
They should have the Pro Bowl players compete in a huge Madden tournament against each other.

I would actually watch that...

Malloy
04-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Pro Bowl game = 4th pre-season game... aka not too bothered.

Sure it's nice to see some sort of football, but it's not really a game as much as it's a demo of sorts.

To sum up: Kill the PB game, give all the nominated players a week af #&/#=#% in Hawaii and let's not speak of it again :)

4Texans
04-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Probowl..... :yawn:

thunderkyss
04-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Pro Bowl is all but dead
By Mike Freeman | National NFL Insider

The NFL and union are in negotiations that could possibly kill the concept of the Pro Bowl game, multiple sources confirmed.

Both league and union officials say privately that while this year's game might still be played, it's highly unlikely the concept would last beyond that. The story was first reported by ESPN...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/18839915/pro-bowl-is-all-but-dead

This doesn't make sense to me & if I were the player's association I'd be pushing for Goodell to go...... concerning his comments about the players "effort" in that game.

Then he talks out of the other side of his mouth about player safety. If you're concerned about player safety, then this is what you get. During the regular season, when the games matter, they'll play all out & hold nothing back, but for the pro bowl? c'mon man.

Don't get me wrong, I don't watch the pro bowl, I'm not interested. But, the game gets good (great?) TV ratings, so obviously someone is enjoying it. From the highlights I've seen, the players are having a good time..... & it's about the players isn't it?

Instead of getting rid of it...... a TV ratings winner, let's fix it. & to fix it we first have to understand it is not about "the game" or the "integrity of the game" it's about the player, so stop taking score like it's a regular season game.

Instead, I think they should divide the competition committee into three groups.... or just get three members of the competition committee to score each play. Make it like boxing, touchdowns & forced turnovers would count like knock downs. Defenses get points for passes defensed, a play is over if the defender is in good position & executes in textbook form.

Make it about the All-Stars & about why they are there. Not about winning a meaningless game.

Speaking of which, if we're going to cancel the pro-bowl for lack of competitiveness, let's stop charging me full price for pre-season tickets.

GP
04-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Instead, I think they should divide the competition committee into three groups.... or just get three members of the competition committee to score each play. Make it like boxing, touchdowns & forced turnovers would count like knock downs. Defenses get points for passes defensed, a play is over if the defender is in good position & executes in textbook form.

No.

A simple skills competition would be a better solution. QBs throwing against other QBs. RBs running against other RBs. Kickers playing h-o-r-s-e against one another.

90% of their time in Hawaii is centered upon relaxing and having fun. The laid back nature of the skills competition fits that scene the best.

I think we all agree, though, that the concept of having to win a traditional football game is outdated for the Pro Bowl. It's good to suspend it, to see what else can be done, instead of force-feeding it to us.

I don't think Roger Goodell is ruining the game. I think it feels good to thump our chests and say he is, but he isn't ruining it. I think he's got his finger on the pulse of the average NFL fan.

1. He wanted draft day TV shows to stop tipping the pick, and to a large degree we got just that last night.

2. He wants players to no kill themselves later in life because of head trauma issues, so he's trying to lower the chances for head-to-head injuries on the field.

3. He stood by owners and the NFLPA caved on the issue of implementing the new rookie wage scale. This has led to a lot of 1st round movement, like we saw last night, and even the analysts are marveling at how much more fluid and natural the 1st round draft selecting has been due to teams not being afraid of overpaying for top-flight picks at the top of the draft board.

4. Suspending the Pro Bowl game is another measured move--He's just suspending it, not saying it'll never happen again. In the meantime, they can try and formulate a new direction for the activity portion of the event.

All in all, I think Goodell is not as bad for the game as people suggest. The major flaw of the NFL is in the area of referees. Those guys are God on the field and they often get into patterns of making calls they shouldn't and I'm glad that it's getting to the point that video review is taking a larger chunk of that job away from them.

Hervoyel
04-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Pro Bowl needs to be changed, not eliminated.

Players get voted to the Pro Bowl like always, no more alternates or substitutions though because they won't be playing a game anyway.

Big weekend in Hawaii for the players and their families. Start it Saturday morning. Don't make it on Super Bowl weekend. You want everyone to get to go. Have a bunch of fun events, throwing, fastest man, stuff like that. non-contact stuff that can be broadcast on NFL network.

Then at the same time put together two college all-star teams to play in the game that's held Saturday night. Make it more like the HOF game but with actual college prospects representing the AFC and NFC. If it was an NFL sponsored pre-scouting combine exhibition game that featured future prospects that could be interesting.

Maybe you move the game to Sunday night and have college prospects and NFL "Pro Bowlers" compete on Saturday, then on Sunday the NFL players do their fun stuff and the rookies play Sunday night.

For the college kids they would only ever have one chance to play in a Pro Bowl. It would really be kind of meaningful to get an invite for many of them. I think this would be the perfect compromise and it would serve a purpose instead of just being something they go through the motions doing.

Texaninlild
04-27-2012, 02:13 PM
I would like to see a Pro-Bowl selection and a skills competition that is scored like a track meet to take place. AFC vs. NFC This would be far more entertaining and the winners/losers would be paid in the same way as the Pro-Bowl. I think if you put individuals front and center on TV against another player their competitive instincts will kick in. Which CB or WR wants to come in last in a 100 meter dash, a lineman to come in last on weight lifting, QBs on throwing competition, etc?

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2012, 02:22 PM
No.

A simple skills competition would be a better solution. QBs throwing against other QBs. RBs running against other RBs. Kickers playing h-o-r-s-e against one another.

I would watch that, I am happy when I find the skills competitions from older years on TV during Pro Bowl weekend. The valid argument against it is they would be like a Saturday at 3 PM slot, they probably need the game to be prime time worthy. So that's why they are trying to fix the game.

Rey
04-27-2012, 03:38 PM
I think I'd find a skills competition almost as boring as the pro-bowl.

Probably would be a bit more entertaining, but I don't see that as a big ratings grabber. But I dunno...

eriadoc
04-27-2012, 03:49 PM
I think I'd find a skills competition almost as boring as the pro-bowl.

Probably would be a bit more entertaining, but I don't see that as a big ratings grabber. But I dunno...

I don't remember which year it was, but I watched a QB skills competition that had Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, Randall Cunningham and others competing. It was far more entertaining than a current day Pro Bowl game. The QBs were out there hamming it up and having a good time, but they were competing hard. Randall Cunningham threw a ball damn near 80 yards, I seem to recall, pretty much knocking everyone else out of that category.

Rey
04-27-2012, 03:54 PM
I don't remember which year it was, but I watched a QB skills competition that had Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, Randall Cunningham and others competing. It was far more entertaining than a current day Pro Bowl game. The QBs were out there hamming it up and having a good time, but they were competing hard. Randall Cunningham threw a ball damn near 80 yards, I seem to recall, pretty much knocking everyone else out of that category.

I think Pro Bowls of the past were more entertaining than pro bowls today too.

I'm just stating my personal preference....Skills competitions are kind of boring to me. Yeah I'd probably browse through and peek at it, but I don't see that as an even I'd plan to watch or even keep watching if I happened to catch it while it was on.

Dread-Head
04-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Godell sucks!

thunderkyss
04-28-2012, 12:10 AM
No.

A simple skills competition would be a better solution.

The ratings for the game have been getting better & better each year. Though the game doesn't appeal to us, it obviously is being enjoyed by somebody.

It wouldn't make sense to kill the game when so many people do enjoy it & throw something else out there, that no one may care for.

I get what you're saying, your suggestions make sense, but we have concrete data (ratings) saying the Pro Bowl game is attracting viewers.

Wolf
04-28-2012, 12:34 AM
I bet players agents are saying "oh ****" there goes some bargaining power

meaning if he has a client that it the 6th best QB in the league and it is contract negotiation year. however if I recall probowl selects 3 QB's... one qb is in the superbowl so he is exempt out of it, two other Qb's have nagging injuries well QB 6 gets moved into the slot and now, he is considered a "pro bowl " QB. Loses a little bargaining chip for the player

or just my weird frame of thinking

mattieuk
04-28-2012, 01:27 AM
Maybe you move the game to Sunday night and have college prospects and NFL "Pro Bowlers" compete on Saturday, then on Sunday the NFL players do their fun stuff and the rookies play Sunday night.

For the college kids they would only ever have one chance to play in a Pro Bowl. It would really be kind of meaningful to get an invite for many of them. I think this would be the perfect compromise and it would serve a purpose instead of just being something they go through the motions doing.

Orrrrr. NFL All-Pro team vs. Division 1 All-Pro team.

The kids would want to showcase their abilities, and the pros wouldn't want to lose cred to the year's pros-to-be. They might be able to make a half competitive game out of it, and it'd serve as a warm up for draft season.

That could work if they figured out a way to make it safe for all involved.