PDA

View Full Version : "Samuel to Falcons close to done"

IDEXAN
04-25-2012, 07:43 AM
The Asante Samuel trade to the Falcons is close to complete, sources close to the situation said.

The Eagles would get a late round pick, likely a sixth rounder, in this week's draft in exchange for the 31-year-old cornerback. Samuel has agreed to restructure his contract to so that the deal can get done.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Samuel_to_Falcons_close_to_done.html#ixzz1t3V8S5CO
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Rey
04-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Dunta to the bench?

El Tejano
04-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Take Me Back Rick!

Hell NO!!!

1bigfan13
04-25-2012, 08:16 AM
That's a hell of a deal for the Falcons. Only having to part with a 6th round pick for one of the better CBs in the league is a steal; especially if the restructured deal equates to him being in Atlanta for at least 3 years.

That said, the Falcons are still hurting for a quality pass rusher.

Samuel will not put them over the top in the NFC South.

Goldensilence
04-25-2012, 08:16 AM
For the draft Rick wears:

"Kiss my azz Dunta" on his shoes.

Playoffs
04-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Dunta restructured his contract earlier with guaranteed money -- he'd be out, otherwise.

Smart move, Rick. Took some heat for that.

Rey
04-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Damn, I wish we had the money. That'd have been a sweet deal for us.

HOU-TEX
04-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Either way, the Falcons are going to have a lot of money tied up at the position. I think Grimes and Dunta will count for around 15 mill

thunderkyss
04-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Either way, the Falcons are going to have a lot of money tied up at the position. I think Grimes and Dunta will count for around 15 mill

I wonder how this is going to play out. Grimes still hasn't signed his Franchise tender.

While Robinson (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/18824427/report-eagles-trade-of-asante-samuel-to-falcons-nearly-complete)was a big-time acquisition for the Falcons before the 2010 season, he also hasn't played great, leading to speculation that he would play the slot (and because Samuel and Grimes are so good on the outside). Of course, it remains to be seen how effective Robinson could be in that role (and if he could continue his ability to illegally give opposing receivers concussions on dirty hits).

I think it is interesting that speculation already has Dunta moving to the slot, which reinforces my opinion that he wasn't that good, not worth the franchise tag we put on him in 2009 & wouldn't have helped us in 2010.

eriadoc
04-25-2012, 09:44 AM
I wonder how this is going to play out. Grimes still hasn't signed his Franchise tender.

I think it is interesting that speculation already has Dunta moving to the slot, which reinforces my opinion that he wasn't that good, not worth the franchise tag we put on him in 2009 & wouldn't have helped us in 2010.

He was better than the 2010 version of Kareem Jackson, so yeah, he would have helped. That help wouldn't have mattered all that much though, because the D coordinator sucked.

Rey
04-25-2012, 09:49 AM
He was better than the 2010 version of Kareem Jackson, so yeah, he would have helped. That help wouldn't have mattered all that much though, because the D coordinator sucked.

Agreed.

Dutchrudder
04-25-2012, 09:54 AM
I bet they move Samuel to free safety. He's a crazy good zone corner, so I could see him making the switch and going for INTs 99% of the time.

HOU-TEX
04-25-2012, 10:21 AM

Grimes signed his tender at the same time the news broke of them being interested in Samuel.

I've read they intend to move Grimes to slot

BigBull17
04-25-2012, 10:32 AM

Yeah, until you cant sign Manning and J-Jo because you are paying Dumbta elite cb money. F'ing stupid. It was a ****ty year, but was worth it in the long run to suck and add J-Jo and have #11 to get Watt.

Goldensilence
04-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Yeah, until you cant sign Manning and J-Jo because you are paying Dumbta elite cb money. F'ing stupid. It was a ****ty year, but was worth it in the long run to suck and add J-Jo and have #11 to get Watt.

I think you missed his point, it was a tongue in cheek comment.

Truth is you could've added J-Jo, Watt, and Manning.. This defense still would've sucked under Smith or Frank Bush.

eriadoc
04-25-2012, 11:24 AM
I think you missed his point, it was a tongue in cheek comment.

Truth is you could've added J-Jo, Watt, and Manning.. This defense still would've sucked under Smith or Frank Bush.

Winner! :)

Playoffs
04-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Reply Retweet Favorite ∑ Open
Atlanta has agreed to terms on a 3 yr 18.5 deal for Asante Samuel, per league source.

HOU-TEX
04-25-2012, 01:34 PM
I think Atl was already over the cap. They're going to have to make some moves.

Dutchrudder
04-25-2012, 01:54 PM
I think Atl was already over the cap. They're going to have to make some moves.

According to Sportrac, which usually under-reports total salaries, the Falcons are at $123,363,123 before picking up Samuel. Adding another 6 million this year, would mean they need to drop about 8 million in salary to get under the cap, plus whatever their rookie pool costs. They don't have a 1st round pick, so maybe they don't need to free up room for that.

They can cut Sam Baker to save 2.5 million, and they could ask Tony Gonzalez to retire, so they can save 4.9 million. That should do it... :)

silentassassin
04-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Dunta to the bench?

For sure. I'd even go as far as to say he might not even be a Falcon this season.

Wolf
04-25-2012, 03:19 PM
This link said Grimes signed his franchise for a little over 10 million.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-falcons-hope-acquire-154851513--nfl.html;_ylt=AnrTRKV3IxJPs_tF8kLLHjU5nYcB

So maybe d rob will be cut soon?

ultimatepaki
04-25-2012, 03:20 PM
For sure. I'd even go as far as to say he might not even be a Falcon this season.

Rotoworld (http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/232011/falcons-acquire-cb-samuel-for-late-round-pick) seems to think Dunta will keep his job:
"Samuel will presumably slide in at left cornerback, with Brent Grimes seeing slot work and Dunta Robinson manning the right side"

ChampionTexan
04-25-2012, 03:31 PM

Rotoworld (http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/232011/falcons-acquire-cb-samuel-for-late-round-pick) seems to think Dunta will keep his job:
"Samuel will presumably slide in at left cornerback, with Brent Grimes seeing slot work and Dunta Robinson manning the right side"

The Falcons restructured his (Dunta's) contract earlier this off-season, and guaranteed his entire 2012 base salary ($5 Million) and $3 Million of his 2013 base salary.

Dutchrudder
04-25-2012, 03:44 PM

10 million for a slot CB? Wtf? That makes no sense at all. I think one of these guys will move to safety, and I think Samuel fits the bill for that. Too much money tied up in these guys to not have them all starting.

Playoffs
04-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Somebody "gets" it...

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite ∑ Open
ESPN's Cris Carter just ripped Brent Grimes and called Dunta Robinson the #Falcons "best corner." He couldn't have it more backwards.

ArlingtonTexan
04-25-2012, 05:28 PM
10 million for a slot CB? Wtf? That makes no sense at all. I think one of these guys will move to safety, and I think Samuel fits the bill for that. Too much money tied up in these guys to not have them all starting.

In a given week you may see a slot corner play 60-65% of the snaps with all the 3-4 wide sets. Remember they have to beat the Saints in their division and probably the Packers and Giants. All these teams spread the field early and often. Against the those teams, the slot CB is a starter. Notice they refused to pay an ILB, but will pay a 3rd CB.

If I am wrong, I expect that Dunta's playing style closest fits a safety, but he would still spend a lot time playing some form of CB.

Edit: an Atlanta fan pointed me to this

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/nfl/nfl-analysis-mike-nolans-interesting-vision-atlanta-falcons

Fili
04-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Glad the Texans had no interest in him. Poor tackler.

Playoffs
04-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Tuna says he'd play 3 CBs all the time, add for situations.

Fico
04-25-2012, 07:31 PM

The slot position is the most difficult position to play on defense. You are usually on the quickest offensive player and do not have the luxury of the sideline for help. It's a two way go every snap.

It is a staple in the college game now to have your best receiver motion into the slot to give him a two way go off subpar defender (usually). This is why teams like Texas are so special on defense, their ability to match that with their base personnel (Vacarro/Phillips).

The NFL is a little behind in that sense but it is trending that way. I think Grimes and DR will start at CB for the Falcons and the Grimes will slide inside on >2 receiver sets.

Grimes is good.
DR is average.
Samuels is good in zone, horrible in man, and gets burned as often as he makes plays on the ball.

1bigfan13
04-26-2012, 12:53 AM
Glad the Texans had no interest in him. Poor tackler.

He wouldn't have been a good fit in our 3-4 system. But in the right system, one that plays a lot of zone, he's a great corner.

Goatcheese
04-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Coaches love D-Rob because they understand what he's actually doing out there. Fans and talking heads don't see many picks or pass breakups and assume he's not contributing.

I like Robinson better than Grimes. In the Falcons games I've seen, he is rarely thrown at while Grimes gets picked on and gives up multiple receptions.

Dutchrudder
04-26-2012, 03:15 PM
The slot position is the most difficult position to play on defense. You are usually on the quickest offensive player and do not have the luxury of the sideline for help. It's a two way go every snap.

It is a staple in the college game now to have your best receiver motion into the slot to give him a two way go off subpar defender (usually). This is why teams like Texas are so special on defense, their ability to match that with their base personnel (Vacarro/Phillips).

The NFL is a little behind in that sense but it is trending that way. I think Grimes and DR will start at CB for the Falcons and the Grimes will slide inside on >2 receiver sets.

Grimes is good.
DR is average.
Samuels is good in zone, horrible in man, and gets burned as often as he makes plays on the ball.

I honestly can't think of any other team in the league that has 3 highly paid corners. Is anyone else doing this? Last year they were paying DR and Grimes about 9 mill a piece, which was probably top 3 in the league as far as salary.

I get the idea of having Grimes in the slot, but I don't see why they can't move him to the slot when the other team shows that setup. Let him play the other 50% of snaps or whatever at one of the outside CB spots. The Saints are the only team in their division that they need this setup for. The Panthers aren't 3 deep at WR, and the Bucs don't have a decent QB. The move just seems like an overreaction to me. Draft a decent corner in a mid round and use him as your #3/4 CB to rotate into that spot.

Mr teX
04-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Coaches love D-Rob because they understand what he's actually doing out there. Fans and talking heads don't see many picks or pass breakups and assume he's not contributing.

I like Robinson better than Grimes. In the Falcons games I've seen, he is rarely thrown at while Grimes gets picked on and gives up multiple receptions.

This.....Robinson certainly has his issues but he's a solid cb. ATL had 0 pass rush last year. I'm sure everyone remembers how horrible KJ & our secondary looked with no pass rush just 2 years ago.

The Pencil Neck
04-26-2012, 03:53 PM
I honestly can't think of any other team in the league that has 3 highly paid corners. Is anyone else doing this? Last year they were paying DR and Grimes about 9 mill a piece, which was probably top 3 in the league as far as salary.

I get the idea of having Grimes in the slot, but I don't see why they can't move him to the slot when the other team shows that setup. Let him play the other 50% of snaps or whatever at one of the outside CB spots. The Saints are the only team in their division that they need this setup for. The Panthers aren't 3 deep at WR, and the Bucs don't have a decent QB. The move just seems like an overreaction to me. Draft a decent corner in a mid round and use him as your #3/4 CB to rotate into that spot.

Last year, it was the Eagles with Asomugha, Cromartie, and Samuels.

And we see how that turned out.

Dutchrudder
04-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Last year, it was the Eagles with Asomugha, Cromartie, and Samuels.

And we see how that turned out.

DRC is making like 1.5 million or so. He's cheap, as he's still on a rookie deal and they weren't paying his signing bonus. But yeah, that's probably the best example. If they had a DC that knew what he was doing, they might be able to have a good defense.

The whole Falcons thing seems like over investing. Throw money at the problem and hope it fixes the secondary. The Jerry Jones model, if you will. I doubt this will work for them, but we shall see.

thunderkyss
04-27-2012, 04:36 PM

Sounds like Kareem Jackson to me.

Playoffs
05-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Rotoworld:
The Falcons will likely use Dunta Robinson as their slot cornerback on passing downs this season, with Brent Grimes and Asante Samuel outside.
It's particularly notable because Robinson played in the slot with the Texans early in his career and got absolutely toasted. "I know Dunta has wanted to play inside in the nickel spot," said GM Tom Dimitroff. "He did it out in Houston before he came our way. Heís an aggressive guy who can play the run as well as be aggressive in the pass game. I think itís going to be a nice mix of talents." May 3 - 8:54 AM