PDA

View Full Version : Bill Polian grades 1st Round QB selections over last decade

Playoffs
04-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Former Colts GM Bill Polian grades the 31 QBs selected in the 1st Round of the NFL Draft over the last decade for ESPN. (This is what was on the DVR, I'm not sure ESPN didn't mixed one or two up in the graphic.)

A
Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco
Jay Cutler
Aaron Rogers
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Ben Roethlisberger
Carson Palmer

B
Michael Vick

C
Alex Smith
Jason Campbell
Byron Leftwich
Matthew Stafford
Mark Sanchez

D
Matt Leinart
brady Quinn
Rex Grossman
David Carr

F
Jamarcus Russell
Vince Young
JP Losman
Kyle Boller
Joey Harrington
Patrick Ramsey

Incomplete
Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
Sam Bradford
Tim Tebow
Josh Freeman

Jackie Chiles
04-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Matthew Stafford is ready to climb that list if he can stay healthy.

JCTexan
04-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Matthew Stafford is ready to climb that list if he can stay healthy.

Which is why he should be in the "B" category. Dude threw for over 5,000 yards last year and he gets stuck in a group with Alex Smith, Jason Campbell and Byron Leftwich?

TexanSam
04-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Why is Carson Palmer an A? He's had two great seasons and a few okay/good ones. He's never been able to solidly establish himself as a bonafide #1 though. I'd put him in the B list.

mattieuk
04-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Which is why he should be in the "B" category. Dude threw for over 5,000 yards last year and he gets stuck in a group with Alex Smith, Jason Campbell and Byron Leftwich?

Stafford is A grade in my book.

The guy is averaging 3.15 passing TDs a game and has a 60-37 TD-INT ratio. In comparison Cutler, who for some reason is in the A category isn't at 1.5 passing TD a game, and has a 117-86 TD-INT ratio.

If Jay Cutler is 'A', then Stafford is 'A+'. That kid is going to be a great franchise QB for years to come.

IDEXAN
04-25-2012, 06:55 AM
Would anybody else consider taking Flacco & Vick and switching their grades ?

gwallaia
04-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Three of the "D" QB's used to be Texans.:kubepalm:

Stemp
04-25-2012, 01:05 PM

Yeah, but only one was a starter here.
I still think Mittens could have been a better QB if he developed under different coaches than he did.

CretorFrigg
04-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Stafford should be an A. He's a smart, tough quarterback.

Dutchrudder
04-25-2012, 01:09 PM
I saw this on another forum a couple days ago, and it really made me think Polian is a certified idiot who was fortunate enough to have Manning drop in his lap. The idea that guys like Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco and Carson Palmer are successful draft picks comparable to Eli, Rodgers and Big Ben is just asinine. I don't know how anyone in the business could not make a distinction between the Super Bowl winners who have had playoff success, and the guys who still haven't been a significant factor in playoff wins.

Here's my list:
A
Aaron Rogers
Eli Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Philip Rivers (boarderline A/B)

B (potential to become A's)
Matthew Stafford (needs to stay healthy)
Michael Vick
Joe Flacco
Jay Cutler
Matt Ryan (boarderline B/C)

C
Alex Smith
Jason Campbell
Vince Young
Carson Palmer (would be a B if not for injuries)

D
Mark Sanchez
Rex Grossman
David Carr (probably should be an F)

F
Byron Leftwich
Jamarcus Russell
Matt Leinart
Brady Quinn
JP Losman
Kyle Boller
Joey Harrington
Patrick Ramsey

Fico
04-25-2012, 07:33 PM
I saw this on another forum a couple days ago, and it really made me think Polian is a certified idiot who was fortunate enough to have Manning drop in his lap. The idea that guys like Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco and Carson Palmer are successful draft picks comparable to Eli, Rodgers and Big Ben is just asinine. I don't know how anyone in the business could not make a distinction between the Super Bowl winners who have had playoff success, and the guys who still haven't been a significant factor in playoff wins.

Here's my list:
A
Aaron Rogers
Eli Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Philip Rivers (boarderline A/B)

B (potential to become A's)
Matthew Stafford (needs to stay healthy)
Michael Vick
Joe Flacco
Jay Cutler
Matt Ryan (boarderline B/C)

C
Alex Smith
Jason Campbell
Vince Young
Carson Palmer (would be a B if not for injuries)

D
Mark Sanchez
Rex Grossman
David Carr (probably should be an F)

F
Byron Leftwich
Jamarcus Russell
Matt Leinart
Brady Quinn
JP Losman
Kyle Boller
Joey Harrington
Patrick Ramsey

Your list is better. Logically, that is.

Goatcheese
04-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Stafford is A grade in my book.

The guy is averaging 3.15 passing TDs a game and has a 60-37 TD-INT ratio. In comparison Cutler, who for some reason is in the A category isn't at 1.5 passing TD a game, and has a 117-86 TD-INT ratio.

If Jay Cutler is 'A', then Stafford is 'A+'. That kid is going to be a great franchise QB for years to come.

Absolutely. I think Stafford is top 5 in the NFL at this point. If throwing for 5,000 yards and 40 TDs (a rather exclusive club) makes him a C... I want some of what Polian is smoking. On second thought, I'd rather keep my brain cells.

Playoffs
04-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Record 6 time NFL Executive of the Year, appearances in 5 Super Bowls & 8 Conference Title games, 12 Division titles...

I think I'll try to learn why Mr. Polian ranked them as he did. :tiphat:

Norg
04-25-2012, 09:47 PM
David carr >>>>>>>>>>>. Vince young 0_o JJAJAJJAJAJAJ

texasam82
04-26-2012, 12:22 AM
Record 6 time NFL Executive of the Year, appearances in 5 Super Bowls & 8 Conference Title games, 12 Division titles...

I think I'll try to learn why Mr. Polian ranked them as he did. :tiphat:

With that being said, you can't really think all those rankings make ANY sort of sense?

michaelm
04-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Would anybody else consider taking Flacco & Vick and switching their grades ?

Absolutely yes.

welsh texan
04-26-2012, 05:03 PM
When ranking Vick, you have to take into account how much he hurt that franchise, and how lucky they were to get Ryan at the first attempt. Also how lucky we were to get Schaub a matter of weeks before it broke.

Sam Bradford was 1st round too no? Where do people rank him?

Malloy
04-26-2012, 05:09 PM

Let's get Quinn and cover that D! :)

Malloy
04-26-2012, 05:10 PM
When ranking Vick, you have to take into account how much he hurt that franchise, and how lucky they were to get Ryan at the first attempt. Also how lucky we were to get Schaub a matter of weeks before it broke.

Sam Bradford was 1st round too no? Where do people rank him?

Luck, you mean skill right? ;)

4Texans
04-26-2012, 05:38 PM

I would give him more credit than that. Before going to the Colts, he was GM at Buffalo for the years they went to four straight superbowls, and GM that put the Panthers in the NFC Championship game in their 2nd year of exisitance.

welsh texan
04-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Luck, you mean skill right? ;)

We made a trade for a backup QB, identified the talent and made the move, which is where the skill is. The luck part of it is that at the time we were negotiating the deal, Vick was being investigated for what he did, and it could have broken at any time, at which point the Falcons would have pulled any prospective trade.

Hervoyel
04-27-2012, 04:29 PM

Still time to pick up Quin before he's out of the league and sweep the D's