PDA

View Full Version : Is Demeco pulling a Mario?

CloakNNNdagger
04-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Hope it's just an Eagle "misunderstanding/misinterpretation!"

Ryans embracing fans, new home in Philly (http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/eagles-talk/Ryans-embracing-fans-new-home-in-Philly?blockID=694374&feedID=2229)

DeMeco Ryans was walking around Philly soon after he was traded to the Eagles. He walked past the Liberty Bell and the Betsy Ross House. He walked past the Constitution Center. He walked past a good chunk of our nation’s rich history.

After spending the last six years living in Houston, a sprawling southwest metropolis of highways, office buildings and shopping centers, it was an eye-opening stroll through one of the country’s most spectacular downtowns.

“It’s different,” Ryans said with a laugh. “In Houston, there’s nothing like that. We have the Astrodome.”

We have the Liberty Bell. They have the Astrodome. Which isn’t even used anymore.

“It’s still there,” Ryan said. “They say it would cost too much money to tear it down.”

Welcome to Philly. This is most certainly not Houston.

The Eagles acquired Ryans in a trade with the Texans on March 20, and Ryans has spent the last month not just getting used to his new coaches, teammates and playbook but acclimated to a new city 1,500 miles away.

Ryans, a two-time Pro Bowl middle linebacker during his six years with the Texans, is starting over again with the Eagles.

And starting over again in a new city that has embraced him more in a month than Houston did in half a decade.

“The first thing you notice is that everybody here knows their football and they love their football,” Ryans said. “Whether you’re at the rental car place or the front desk of the hotel, everybody, wherever you are, they let you know how passionate they are about football.

“Looking for places to live, people know everything about you, and they all have high expectations, and that’s a big difference from Houston. I love that about it. The city, the fans -- they expect the team to do well, and everybody’s behind the team.

“Houston, I guess because football left there when the Oilers moved to Tennessee, it’s a mixture of fans. A lot of Cowboys fans, some people are Texans fans, so there’s that mixture, but here it’s all Eagle all the time. There’s nothing else in this city, so that’s one unique thing about it. Everybody here is Eagles, 76ers, Flyers, Phillies --they’re all about their teams here in the city.

“The Texans started in 2002, so it’s still kind of new. The Eagles have been there forever. In Houston, there’s not a long line of tradition and history. Here, you have so much tradition and there’s a high expectation because the city has seen the team go to the Super Bowl, go to the playoffs year after year after year.

“In Houston, we had never even been to the playoffs until last year, and people got excited about it -- ‘They’re going to the playoffs for the first time.’ But that’s just where it starts, getting to the playoffs. Here, we expect to go to the playoffs and we expect to make a run at the Super Bowl every year. It’s a totally different feeling.”

So is strolling down the streets of Center City.

Houston doesn’t even have a Center City.

“I’m living in the city here, but in Houston, I stayed out in the suburbs,” he said. “There’s really no downtown in Houston, where you have people walking around like here. Everything in Houston is spread out and all over the place. It takes 20 minutes to get anywhere.”

Ryans made his NFL debut on opening day 2006 -- in a loss to the Eagles in Houston. No defensive player in franchise history has started more games for the Texans than Ryans. Only three players -- wide receiver Andre Johnson and offensive tackles Chester Pitts and Eric Winston -- have started more games as Texans. Only Johnson, a five-time pick, has been selected to more Pro Bowls than Ryans.

So he’s one of the most decorated players in Texans history. And it didn’t occur to him until fairly recently that there was a chance he wouldn’t finish his career in Houston.

“Every guy thinks when you come into the league that the team that drafts you, that’s the team you’re going to spend your whole career with,” he said. “It’s the only thing you know, the only team you know, the only organization you know. So you get comfortable and think, ‘Oh, this is the only place for me.’

“But you have it in the back of your mind, ‘Oh, I wonder what it’s like in other places? Does everyone do it the same way we do it, does everyone practice the same way,’ and you wonder, ‘I want to see how other people do it.’

“I thought I’d finish my career there, but things change all the time. I understand the business. Once you’ve been around for a while, you realize they’re always trying to replace you. And you see guys come and go. I saw a lot of guys come through that building, for a couple years, a couple months, a couple days. There was a lot of turnover, and you learn that nobody’s an exception. I’m not an exception.”

The Texans were happy to get rid of Ryans, who doesn’t really fit into the 3-4 front defensive coordinator Wade Phillips runs, and is signed through 2015 at $4.45 million this year, $6.6 million in 2013 and $6.8 million in 2014 and 2015.

As happy as the Texans were to unload Ryans, the Eagles were just as thrilled to acquire him. They see him as the forceful veteran middle linebacker they’ve lacked since Jeremiah Trotter’s last Pro Bowl season in 2004 and the type of defensive leader they’ve lacked since Brian Dawkins left for Denver after the 2008 season.

Ryans, now 100 percent recovered from a 2010 ruptured Achilles, said he had a blast last week, the first week Eagles players were allowed to participate in supervised workouts at the NovaCare Complex, and he can’t wait to move forward in OTA’s, minicamps, training camp and -- in just over four months -- his first real game as a Philadelphia Eagle.

“I feel like it’s been good for me, coming here,” he said. “Just my knowledge of the game, having spent time in a couple different systems and seeing a lot of ball over the years, this is good for me.

“Coming in and being able to work with some younger linebackers and teach them what I know, what to look for, what to expect. There’s some good young, athletic linebackers here who make a lot of plays, and I’m excited to work with them.”

Ryans is already a fan favorite, as the first legitimate, Pro Bowl-caliber linebacker the Eagles have acquired in a decade.

He’s already an Eagle. And he’s working hard on becoming a Philadelphian.

“It’s a big change, just getting adjusted to a new city, learning the city, learning your way around,” Ryan said.

“It’s different. I just look at it like I got drafted again. Took time for me to get established in Houston, learn everything about the city, so I look at me coming to Philadelphia the same way. I’m not going to feel comfortable overnight, but eventually it will be home to me.”

Texan_Bill
04-23-2012, 09:00 AM
They've been talking about this on the radio and it's been blowing up on Twitter.

MistaRed
04-23-2012, 09:01 AM
I personally don't see anything wrong with what he said. The things he said about the fan base and the city are accurate. Philly is widely known as one of the most diehard sports cities in the U.S.

Playoffs
04-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Meh, no foul there.

Best of luck to Demeco. Hope he doesn't catch a bullet in a drive-by.

HOU-TEX
04-23-2012, 09:07 AM
I don't really have a problem with what he said.

I hope he understands what these Philly fans are like when things aren't going so peachy. If not, he's in for a rude awakening.

Honoring Earl 34
04-23-2012, 09:07 AM
He'll find out that their fans greatest strength is also their greatest weakness . He'll only be as good as his last play and when he slumps they'll turn on him .

Ryan
04-23-2012, 09:12 AM
I don't see it that way at all. I didn't see him really trash Houston in any way. That's honestly the way it is.

run-david-run
04-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Nothing wrong with what DeMeco said. The reporter's side jabs at Houston felt like someone talking about an ex-girlfriend though, what the hell was that?

I understand it's sports writing and there's more leeway than in most other forms to express some sort of opinion, but as someone who has a degree in journalism, I hardly consider this article worthy of that title.

badboy
04-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Demeco who? Said it when he was drafted and he is no longer a Texan so who cares? Besides what did he say that is not true? Some folks complaining remind me of college or even high schoolers getting radical cause someone dissed their school. Houston is what it is love it or not.
Sure there are a few fans that are knowledgeable but many are weekend warriors and their money spends the same as mine.

I enjoyed your play while here Mr. Ryans.

drs23
04-23-2012, 09:15 AM
I wholly agree with MistaRed & Playoffs, I don't see anything wrong or even derogatory towards Houston, it's all fact.

Then before I could pipe in with my :twocents: HOU-TEX & HE34 make the point that I was gonna add. Though Meco doesn't screw up much, just wait till the fans start riding him like a 2 bit fair pony. I understand them folks up there can be the most brutal fans in the league. Let him miss a tackle that goes for a TD and he won't be able to hail a cab. :kitten:

That said, I wish Meco the best.

Hookem Horns
04-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Houston, I guess because football left there when the Oilers moved to Tennessee, it’s a mixture of fans. A lot of Cowboys fans, some people are Texans fans, so there’s that mixture, but here it’s all Eagle all the time.

Wrong. There are a ton of Cowboys fans in Philly. I have lived in both places and can safely say he is going to start missing Texas. That historic area is nice when you visit however once that wears off you have to start living there.

Also he would be better off in the "burbs" in Philly tool. Pennsylvania has some real nice / pretty areas and downtown Philly is not one of them.

TimeKiller
04-23-2012, 09:22 AM
And starting over again in a new city that has embraced him more in a month than Houston did in half a decade.

^^^^^^^^^^^That isn't true at all. I didn't want to see Demeco go and I plan on following his career, wherever it may lead because I was a fan of him personally. But this piece is journalistic hit-and-run bull****. Writing a slam article on Philidelphia would be so easy JOHN ****ING MCCLAIN could do it.

Big Lou
04-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Wasn't it Philly where they threw beer bottles at Santa. So they love football but hate Santa, sounds like a great place to live.

I think most of what Meco said is fairly factual with an ever so slight tinge of animosity. We traded the guy, he's entitled to be a little upset. However he's extremely smart and knows that this is a business.

I wish him the best, and good luck. Good luck in Philly as well, they may have a lot of American history but its a Major Northeastern Cluster F City. I'd rather drive 20 minutes to get everywhere rather than live in a Brwonstone with no yard and 20 neighbors seperated by 6" of framing and drywall.

Rey
04-23-2012, 09:24 AM
I don't have a problem with what he said, but I think his curosity will be quenched as far as seeing what other cities are like.

I doubt he'll finish his career in Philly either.

Carr Bombed
04-23-2012, 09:24 AM
I personally don't see anything wrong with what he said. The things he said about the fan base and the city are accurate. Philly is widely known as one of the most diehard sports cities in the U.S.

The things he said aren't accurate at all. Don't confuse whiny obnoxious sports fan with "knowledgable" sports fan... which is exactly what DeMeco has done. But, I get it.. they're kissing his ass right now and are making him feel like the prettiest girl in the room after we essentially dumped his ass for a younger model. Sour grapes.

Oh and DeMeco is completely off his rocker if he really thinks there are only Eagles fans there... been there and saw just as much black n gold as I did eagles green.. saw way more black n gold than I see Cowboy jerseys here.

steelbtexan
04-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Ryans is right, a good number of fans in Houston are good with just making the playoffs. That's not good enough for Philly fans. I wish Texans fans held management to the same level of expectations that Philly fans do. I mean 9-7 was trumpeted as some sort of accomplihment by BoB/Rick/Gary. That would be considered a disappointment in Philly.

As far as living in Philthy-delphia good luck with that DeMeco. Hope you survive the random drive-bys,Cold weather/run down city experience.

TEXANRED
04-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Everything DeMeco said was fact.

nero THE zero
04-23-2012, 09:48 AM
I agree with the consensus, everything he said about Houston is entirely accurate.

The unwarranted and untrue criticisms come from the reporter.

JamesBill
04-23-2012, 09:50 AM
if he chose to live outside the loop that's his fault, not Houston's.

since the eagles didn't even make the playoffs, any talk on the football side is crazy

Hookem Horns
04-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Oh and DeMeco is completely off his rocker if he really thinks there are only Eagles fans there... been there and saw just as much black n gold as I did eagles green.. saw way more black n gold than I see Cowboy jerseys here.

That wasn't the case when I was there mid 80's through mid 90's. Probably because the Steelers weren't that good during those years. I was an outspoken Oilers fan and rarely encountered Steelers fans.

nero THE zero
04-23-2012, 09:57 AM
if he chose to live outside the loop that's his fault, not Houston's.

Still doesn't mean he's wrong about the city.

Go to Austin and everything is concentrated in downtown. Here there are pockets; the Galleria, Washington, Midtown, etc. But, there's no centralization.

It's not a criticism, necessarily, but it's the way it is.

Blake
04-23-2012, 10:02 AM
This article is written to make Philadelphians and Eagle fans feel better about themselves and to sell newspapers. No reason for us Texans or Texans fans to read it unless you want to get pissed off for some reason. DeMeco is going to say what makes his new fans happy. It is what it is. The only thing I even care to comment on is comparing fans of an 80 year franchise to a 10 year franchise. Did DeMeco really think everyone in Texas was going to instantly become a Texans fan? That takes generations.

IDEXAN
04-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Philly is an old Northeastern city, a very historical city, you know the Liberty Bell and all of that. Houston on the other hand is a new city, a Sunbelt economic juggernaut that's a magnet for those seeking employment opportunities.
And it's past time the young Mr Ryans gets beyond the southeastern quandrant of the US and sees the rest of this great country.

JamesBill
04-23-2012, 10:06 AM

Go to Austin and everything is concentrated in downtown. Here there are pockets; the Galleria, Washington, Midtown, etc. But, there's no centralization.

all those places are 10 min or less away from river oaks. So it blows his 20 minutes away jab out of the water.

Hardcore Texan
04-23-2012, 10:06 AM
I don't understand his comment about the Astrodome, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

I thought Houston was well known for having a lot of museums, restaraunts, NASA, etc. but I guess not.

Unfortunately most of the rest is true. We on this message board are obviously diehards and the exception, but there are a lot of fair weather fans. I guess that can be attributed to the Oilers leaving, or transplants, IDK.

It does bother me a little he doesn't think the fans were behind him here, most of us absolutely loved Demeco! All in all, his comments weren't mean spirited, I think the reporter is trying to stir the pot.

2012Champs
04-23-2012, 10:13 AM

It is the truth and for me Im glad houston has multiple areas of interest as it spreads the population of people who go out and do things more. The downside is that being spread out makes a really good mass transit system nearly impossible

2012Champs
04-23-2012, 10:15 AM
all those places are 10 min or less away from river oaks. So it blows his 20 minutes away jab out of the water.

10 min? I guess if there are only certain specific times of the day you can go out.

The1ApplePie
04-23-2012, 10:16 AM
I don't understand his comment about the Astrodome, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

I thought Houston was well known for having a lot of museums, restaraunts, NASA, etc. but I guess not.

Unfortunately most of the rest is true. We on this message board are obviously diehards and the exception, but there are a lot of fair weather fans. I guess that can be attributed to the Oilers leaving, or transplants, IDK.

It does bother me a little he doesn't think the fans were behind him here, most of us absolutely loved Demeco! All in all, his comments weren't mean spirited, I think the reporter is trying to stir the pot.

I think the writer was trying to say that the Astrodome was the closest thing Houston has to a historical landmark. Just him being a douche.

nero THE zero
04-23-2012, 10:19 AM

Takes me 15 minutes to get from Allen Parkway/I45 to Greenway Plaza on a really, really good day.

Yankee_In_TX
04-23-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm going to defend him based on my personal interactions with him over the years. We weren't buds who hung out or anything, but I had conversations with him at several autograph sessions and his radio show.

He was not hesitant during his down time in the event to sit there and talk to the fan and answer anything you asked - about his team, his life, etc. Seemed like a stand up guy.

This stinks of Philly Reporter wanting to stir the pot a bit. A Philly radio host was on 610 this morning and said that Demeco said many times that he loved his time in Houston and would have been happy to stay here.

IMHO people are reading too much into his comments and count me in the camp that he is not taking veiled pot shots at Houston.

And from city A to B every city is going to be different - the people, infrastructure, sports radio callers, etc.

JamesBill
04-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Takes me 15 minutes to get from Allen Parkway/I45 to Greenway Plaza on a really, really good day.

That like 5-6 miles. You guys must drive like old ladies.

Mr. White
04-23-2012, 10:32 AM
“It’s different,” Ryans said with a laugh. “In Houston, there’s nothing like that. We have the Astrodome.”

We have the Liberty Bell. They have the Astrodome. Which isn’t even used anymore.

“It’s still there,” Ryan said. “They say it would cost too much money to tear it down.”

Can't argue with a word of that. I have nostalgic feelings toward the 'Dome, but f it now. It's an embarrassment next to Reliant. There's no way to do anything with the building while McNair and the rodeo run that area. Knock it down already. We've moved on.

“The first thing you notice is that everybody here knows their football and they love their football,” Ryans said. “Whether you’re at the rental car place or the front desk of the hotel, everybody, wherever you are, they let you know how passionate they are about football.

“Looking for places to live, people know everything about you, and they all have high expectations, and that’s a big difference from Houston. I love that about it. The city, the fans -- they expect the team to do well, and everybody’s behind the team.

I don't doubt it, but like Hookem already said, that's a double edged sword. It's already evident that they're expecting him to be a Pro Bowler. If he doesn't meet that expectation, then they'll call him a bum and throw batteries at him.

“Houston, I guess because football left there when the Oilers moved to Tennessee, it’s a mixture of fans. A lot of Cowboys fans, some people are Texans fans, so there’s that mixture, but here it’s all Eagle all the time. There’s nothing else in this city, so that’s one unique thing about it. Everybody here is Eagles, 76ers, Flyers, Phillies --they’re all about their teams here in the city.

“The Texans started in 2002, so it’s still kind of new. The Eagles have been there forever. In Houston, there’s not a long line of tradition and history. Here, you have so much tradition and there’s a high expectation because the city has seen the team go to the Super Bowl, go to the playoffs year after year after year.

“In Houston, we had never even been to the playoffs until last year, and people got excited about it -- ‘They’re going to the playoffs for the first time.’ But that’s just where it starts, getting to the playoffs. Here, we expect to go to the playoffs and we expect to make a run at the Super Bowl every year. It’s a totally different feeling.”

Can't argue with that either. Again, I can't speak to Philly fans, but he's wrong when he says the Cowboys fans have been here since the Oilers left. They've always been here and they've always been obnoxious.

“I’m living in the city here, but in Houston, I stayed out in the suburbs,” he said. “There’s really no downtown in Houston, where you have people walking around like here. Everything in Houston is spread out and all over the place. It takes 20 minutes to get anywhere.”

He's wrong again. It takes at least 45 minutes to get anywhere. Sugar Land to the airport or to the Woodlands takes an hour and a half. There is a Downtown Houston area. We just try to stay away because it's always jacked up because there's always construction.

“Every guy thinks when you come into the league that the team that drafts you, that’s the team you’re going to spend your whole career with,” he said. “It’s the only thing you know, the only team you know, the only organization you know. So you get comfortable and think, ‘Oh, this is the only place for me.’

“But you have it in the back of your mind, ‘Oh, I wonder what it’s like in other places? Does everyone do it the same way we do it, does everyone practice the same way,’ and you wonder, ‘I want to see how other people do it.’

“I thought I’d finish my career there, but things change all the time. I understand the business. Once you’ve been around for a while, you realize they’re always trying to replace you. And you see guys come and go. I saw a lot of guys come through that building, for a couple years, a couple months, a couple days. There was a lot of turnover, and you learn that nobody’s an exception. I’m not an exception.”

Can't argue with that either, but that's what he signed up for. That's the main drawback of the free agency era. Players aren't as much part of the community as they used to be. Too bad he spent so many years playing behind bums like Travis Johnson and Am0bi Ok0ye. These guys would always get knocked off the ball and crash into his legs. He might have been able to stick around longer if he didn't have to deal with that.

The Texans were happy to get rid of Ryans, who doesn’t really fit into the 3-4 front defensive coordinator Wade Phillips runs, and is signed through 2015 at $4.45 million this year, $6.6 million in 2013 and $6.8 million in 2014 and 2015.

As happy as the Texans were to unload Ryans, the Eagles were just as thrilled to acquire him. They see him as the forceful veteran middle linebacker they’ve lacked since Jeremiah Trotter’s last Pro Bowl season in 2004 and the type of defensive leader they’ve lacked since Brian Dawkins left for Denver after the 2008 season.

This is absolute horse**** journalism. Does the writer really know the Texans were "happy" to get rid of Ryans? This is a rah-rah article in disguise.

Having said all that, every city has its drawbacks. I just make the best of them and hope things get better. He's still in his honeymoon period with the Philly fans and he's just saying what they want to hear.

disaacks3
04-23-2012, 10:33 AM
After spending the last six years living in Houston, a sprawling southwest metropolis of highways, office buildings and shopping centers, it was an eye-opening stroll through one of the country’s most spectacular downtowns.

“It’s different,” Ryans said with a laugh. “In Houston, there’s nothing like that. We have the Astrodome.” This is the only one that irritated me. Somebody needs a geography lesson, the Astrodome isn't in downtown.

Guess what Meco, the area around Lincoln Financial is pretty sparse too.

As the guys on 610 pointed out, there's nothing really hostile about what he said, he just didn't need to say it.

2012Champs
04-23-2012, 10:35 AM

You must either be new to houston or are purposely ignoring the traffic we have around here. I work around the Galleria and it can take me the better part of 20 min to just get away from this damn place

ObsiWan
04-23-2012, 10:35 AM
My only beef with the article was this...

The front office nor Bob McNair were never "happy to unload" DeMeco. It was a necessary evil brought about by the salary cap and Wade's 3-4 scheme - but mostly the salary cap.

If the front office/Bob McNair didn't have a world of respect for DeMeco they'd have just flat cut him as opposed to trading him to (1) a 4-3 defense in which he can excel, (2) to a team that can afford to continue to pay him what he's worth (we can't), and (3) to a contending team so he has a chance to make the playoffs (but our of the conference :D ). I could add a 4th: East coast team where he'll get some league-wide press (now whether that's good or bad press....)

I say DeMeco said nothing bad about Houston or the fanbase.
But the article's author....

Double Barrel
04-23-2012, 10:41 AM
This article is written to make Philadelphians and Eagle fans feel better about themselves and to sell newspapers. No reason for us Texans or Texans fans to read it unless you want to get pissed off for some reason. DeMeco is going to say what makes his new fans happy. It is what it is. The only thing I even care to comment on is comparing fans of an 80 year franchise to a 10 year franchise. Did DeMeco really think everyone in Texas was going to instantly become a Texans fan? That takes generations.

I agree completely. This is written for Eagles fans, not us.

As far as what he said, what was he supposed to say? Tell Philly fans that Houston is a better city? Not a good way to get on their good side at this point in time.

Much about nothing, IMO.

GP
04-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Good luck in Philly as well, they may have a lot of American history but its a Major Northeastern Cluster F City. I'd rather drive 20 minutes to get everywhere rather than live in a Brwonstone with no yard and 20 neighbors seperated by 6" of framing and drywall.

Rep'd. That made me laugh out loud.

I love how "mature" grown men are when they're traded to a new team/city. All of a sudden, the grass is greener...the food tastes better...etc., etc.

The things he said aren't accurate at all. Don't confuse whiny obnoxious sports fan with "knowledgable" sports fan... which is exactly what DeMeco has done. But, I get it.. they're kissing his ass right now and are making him feel like the prettiest girl in the room after we essentially dumped his ass for a younger model. Sour grapes.

I agree. He wasn't as a-hole'ish as Mario and Carr were, with the comments, but there is still this whole "They LOVE me! They REALLY LOVE me!" Sally Field vibe going on with it.

Hey DeMeco, News Flash: Fans welcome the new guy, they roll out the carpet, all across the league. It's the customary "Welcome to My Town" fare.

But this piece is journalistic hit-and-run bull****. Writing a slam article on Philidelphia would be so easy JOHN ****ING MCCLAIN could do it.

Yeah, the author is doing more of the incendiary type stuff here. He's trying to rah-rah the readers. Pandering. He might be related to Richard Justice.

Wrong. There are a ton of Cowboys fans in Philly. I have lived in both places and can safely say he is going to start missing Texas. That historic area is nice when you visit however once that wears off you have to start living there.

Also he would be better off in the "burbs" in Philly tool. Pennsylvania has some real nice / pretty areas and downtown Philly is not one of them.

I have never been to Philly, but imagined the downtown area being a nice place to sight-see but never to actually live there.

San Jacinto battlefield is just a few miles away...that place where Texas won its independence from Mexico. I doubt he ever went there, though. It's more historically significant, in the context of military history, than was the Alamo. With the Alamo, everyone knew it was doomed to fall to Mexico...it was just a delaying tactic so other Texan forces could be gathered and deployed. San Jacinto was the strategic death blow that made a fool of Santa Anna and of Mexico itself, as well.

I visited San Jacinto battlefield as a kid, while in Houston exhibiting livestock at the Houston Livestock Show...I was able to do a history report on it, too. Got to visit the Battleship Texas, too. That's an underrated piece of historical hardware, too.

NASA is sort of a big thing, like you said. How many other U.S. cities have the massive NASA complex???

DeMeco was mild in his comments, compared to other douche nozzles out there like Mario Williams and David Carr.

It is interesting that Mario Williams was Charlie Casserly's last official draft pick here. How many douche nozzle high profile picks by Casserly (Carr, Dunta, Mario, etc.) ended up leaving here and somehow, in some way, trashing us to a degree? I think this team has drafted better "character" individuals since Casserly left.

We've become better since Casserly left, even if the improvement is small and in its infancy...but I think winning cures a lot of ills. When a player leaves a winning team, he knows he can't really trash them out because he got kicked off a good team--He knows it won't wash if he trashes out a good team, it will reek of sour grapes. That's why guys like Carr and Dunta get so pissy. "What?!?! You're kicking ME out of here? You don't want ME?!?! LOL. Whatever. I was all you guys ever had." Know what I mean? They can play the victim card, as if THEY were blamed for the team's poor record.

I hope we draft like kings this week. I hope we have our best draft ever. Because if we do, we're going to be freaking awesome for the next 5 or 6 years, minimum. It would be nice to take this bit of success and expand it into a true Steelers/Patriots/Giants type of franchise.

IMO, DeMeco wasn't an ass like the other guys were. He tempered his words, he measured his thoughts and I think he did an OK job keeping it civil. Mario, however, can kiss my ass. That guy is a bigger, stronger version of David Carr.

CloakNNNdagger
04-23-2012, 10:46 AM
This is the only one that irritated me. Somebody needs a geography lesson, the Astrodome isn't in downtown.

Guess what Meco, the area around Lincoln Financial is pretty sparse too.

As the guys on 610 pointed out, there's nothing really hostile about what he said, he just didn't need to say it.

Smart money is on some things best left unsaid. Less for a writer with an agenda to have to stir the pot.

Dutchrudder
04-23-2012, 10:46 AM
He's no longer one us, he's one of them now. He will do or say whatever it takes to get the Eagle's fanbase on his side and assimilate with his team. That's his priority, not Houston. No big deal really, just ignore it and move on.

ObsiWan
04-23-2012, 10:47 AM
He's no longer one us, he's one of them now. He will do or say whatever it takes to get the Eagle's fanbase on his side and assimilate with his team. That's his priority, not Houston. No big deal really, just ignore it and move on.

Hear! Hear!!

nero THE zero
04-23-2012, 10:51 AM

It's really irrelevant whether it's 10, 15, or 20 minutes, since the point is that the city is spread out with no true "center."

But, you must be foreign to the traffic ITL. When I lived in the Heights it took me 25-30 minutes to drive the 7 mile drive to work in Greenway Plaza everyday.

gwallaia
04-23-2012, 10:51 AM
For all the tradition he talks about the Eagles having, they have the same number of Super Bowl trophies that we do.

GP
04-23-2012, 10:54 AM
I think, too, that the new guy will try and reciprocate the love back to the fans of his new team.

It's like a coded signal to the fans that "Hey, I am glad to be here. Right back at ya'."

In trying to make his new fans feel loved, the player has to sort of get a dig into his old team. "I liked where I was at, but I am going to LOVE it here with you guys!" It's P.R. at its finest.

The payoff, for the player, is the day when he takes the field for his new team and all that P.R. work culminates into loud cheers.

We have a need to feel included, accepted, and the NFL player will go through adjustments in routine, living conditions, cultural mores, etc. Therefore, he's strutting and posing for his new neighbors and hoping they let him into the circle with open arms. It's like transferring from one elementary school to another...you have to figure out who the cool kids are, who the outcasts are, which teachers are strict, which teachers are not, etc.

I say this because he is obviously wondering what it's like in a new place, what it's like to practice with a different team. DeMeco is very smart. I think he was the smartest guy on the whole team, actually. He explained himself in a way that I think it would be hard to pick it apart...but you know he's standing his ground on his feelings, too.

JJ Watt, IMO, is now the new smartest guy in the Texans room. With 'Meco gone, it allows JJ Watt to enter into that full time role of leader of the D.

CloakNNNdagger
04-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Demeco may want to have this available for when he misses some key tackles in Philly. Flying bottles from the stands won't get through

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/299/5/d/hockey_mask_by_dmhtfld-d31kotn.png

GuerillaBlack
04-23-2012, 11:18 AM

I don't know man, Downtown Philly was pretty cool when I went a few years ago. It's like a mini New York. A ton of redevelopment has gone on. But Meco is acting like Philly doesn't have suburbs either. People commute thirty plus minutes there, too. Houston has some cool things. It's just not an old dense city like Philly, even though areas like the Loop are getting that way. He didn't really say things that aren't true. Houston is a huge transplant city, so there are more fans from other teams here than in Philly. The Texans are definitely making their mark now.

Yankee_In_TX
04-23-2012, 11:20 AM
LOL if he had said:

Philly fans? Yeah, they're pretty psycho. I'll be scared to be on the field when we are losing and will put my family into protective custody.

The city of Houston is the bomb, but, well, I guess I'm stuck in Philly, for now.

To reiterate, the article was not written for us.

Stemp
04-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Most of the incendiary comments are from the author and not Demeco, so I don't fault him. But like others have said, he better be all and more than what they are expecting or the fans will turn on him in a heartbeat.

SheTexan
04-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Well damn! I logged onto this thread expecting you guys to rip Meco a new one, but, to my surprise, you didn't do that. CONGRATS to all of you for accepting the article at face value, which is nothing more than some sports guy from Philly trying to stir the pot!

Meco is a classy guy and doesn't need to be in the same sentence as Mario. He is embracing his new city, as he should, and moving on. I wish him the BEST!

drs23
04-23-2012, 11:46 AM

Didn't take me that long. :kitten:

False Start
04-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Oh well, its his personal opinion, while I dont agree with it... what are ya gonna do? :slap:

Edit: If he starts messing up, I have a feeling he wont have all this love for Philly. :hide:

markn
04-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Give meco a break. He's been dumped by his high-school sweetheart and found 'love' in the arms of a skanky old hooker.

Mr teX
04-23-2012, 12:38 PM
oi...houston fans and our inferiority complex

Brisco_County
04-23-2012, 01:03 PM
If Demeco wants to commend the Eagles' management style for consistent playoff appearances, then he can't blame the Texans' FO for practicing the same shrewdness which got him traded.

The writer suggests that Demeco wasn't appreciated here. He either didn't do any research, or he willfully omitted the part where Smith re-signed Ryans to a big extension a year early.

I understand the rest of Demeco's comments, though. They are honest, and getting traded must be an ego-bruiser. A player needs to convince himself of greener pastures in order to keep his confidence up, and that sometimes requires devaluing the memories of your former home.

Ryans, now 100 percent recovered from a 2010 ruptured Achilles, said he had a blast last week, the first week Eagles players were allowed to participate in supervised workouts at the NovaCare Complex, and he can’t wait to move forward in OTA’s, minicamps, training camp and -- in just over four months -- his first real game as a Philadelphia Eagle.

Thanks to CnD, most people who read these forums know that players recover from this injury 80% at best. So much for the knowledgeable Philly fanbase.

sakebomb
04-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Half of our stadium is yelling/cheering while our offense is on the field. That should tell you everything you need to know.

ThaShark316
04-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Wish he would have said how much this city's fan base sucks ass. I'll take this tho.

The Pencil Neck
04-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Ryans is right, a good number of fans in Houston are good with just making the playoffs. That's not good enough for Philly fans. I wish Texans fans held management to the same level of expectations that Philly fans do. I mean 9-7 was trumpeted as some sort of accomplihment by BoB/Rick/Gary. That would be considered a disappointment in Philly.

As far as living in Philthy-delphia good luck with that DeMeco. Hope you survive the random drive-bys,Cold weather/run down city experience.

How many Super Bowls has that gotten Philly?

Brando
04-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Says the guy from Bessemer, Alabama. :lol: He's an Eagle now. Like many have said, wait until he doesn't perform to Philly's expectations. They boo Santa Claus and cheer when injured players get hurt. :cheese:

Good Luck in Philly DeMeco, I'll be rooting for you when you play the Cowboys.

HTown2ATX
04-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Saying Philly has the Liberty Bell and Houston has, uh, well, the Astrodome I guess.....c'mon, if that wasn't a backhanded comment.....

Also, as someone who lived in Philly, yeah, they have very passionate fans....uneducated and react at the wrong times about the wrong stuff and heym they had to have a jail in the old vet stadium so they must be better fans.......sorry, doing a certain motion to that notion.....http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/01/Shake_Weight.jpg/285px-Shake_Weight.jpg

I'm not pissed or something necessarily, but IMO anyway, he wasn't making some pleasant observation with birds chirping and the sun shining...he knew what was being said between the lines. Time to clean the sand out over being dumped.

rush2112mn
04-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Have fun with that snow Demeco.
There are Cowboy fans in every town......even in Philly......

fiasco west
04-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Hope he produces then.

Not sure what it is about the author though. Houston loves it's football...no it's not Greenbay crazy or even Cowboy crazy Or Steeler crazy but those teams have had a lot of success in the NFL...if these guys can win then it will come...still this city sells out all of the games and supports the team even through the bad years.

EllisUnit
04-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Who really gives a damn about what demeco has to say, its about like having a girl friend, she brags that u are the best thing in the world when together and then when yall split up u suddenly have always been a piece of ****.

The eagles didnt make the play-offs last season the texans did. Give the eagles 3 more seasons and they will be in such bad cap hell that demeco will be looking for another home, and the eagles will hear the same crap.

He's gone, thread close moving on people ! :fans:

nero THE zero
04-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Half of our stadium is yelling/cheering while our offense is on the field. That should tell you everything you need to know.

I witnessed the infamous wave at the Jags game.

It was awful.

EllisUnit
04-23-2012, 04:43 PM

It was awful.

i blame that on the awesome tailgating, that wasnt a wave that was a stagger to stay on their feet. People just assumed it was the wave. And then everyone is so drunk that they are yelling and screaming on have no idea why !!!!

Get it right people :uchicken:

DownByContact
04-23-2012, 04:44 PM
I see nothing wrong with what he said, it's all true.

TEXANRED
04-23-2012, 04:44 PM

It was awful.
I like the wave. In fact I think I will start one now.

Thorn
04-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Demeco says nice things about Philly, the home of his new team.

Bradie James says nice things about the Texans, his new team.

It's what happens folks. Seriously. :lol:

gwallaia
04-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Point well taken Thorn.
----------

All this talk of the Philadelphia Eagles reminds me of an unfortunate statistic that will soon need to be corrected. The Oilers never beat the Eagles or the Giants in regular season. Our Texans of course beat the New York Giants in their inaugural season but have yet to beat the Eagles.

The Eagles have never been defeated by a professional Houston football team. This must change!

TEXANRED
04-23-2012, 06:15 PM
i blame that on the awesome tailgating, that wasnt a wave that was a stagger to stay on their feet. People just assumed it was the wave. And then everyone is so drunk that they are yelling and screaming on have no idea why !!!!

Get it right people :uchicken:

:corrosion:

BullBlitz
04-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Point well taken Thorn.
----------

All this talk of the Philadelphia Eagles reminds me of an unfortunate statistic that will soon need to be corrected. The Oilers never beat the Eagles or the Giants in regular season. Our Texans of course beat the New York Giants in their inaugural season but have yet to beat the Eagles.

The Eagles have never been defeated by a professional Houston football team. This must change!

Now THAT is an interesting statistic. I had no idea.

imatexan
04-23-2012, 06:50 PM
The problem with what he said is it's not true.

It is not 20 minutes to get anywhere and Houston does have a downtown as well as very passionate fans.

Premier
04-23-2012, 07:38 PM
ive heard philly is a dump..

i brought some friends in from Connecticut a few weeks ago, they couldnt stop raving about how beautiful Houston was, Philadelphia is a 4 hour drive for them and a frequent visit..

drs23
04-23-2012, 07:54 PM
ive heard philly is a dump..

i brought some friends in from Connecticut a few weeks ago, they couldnt stop raving about how beautiful Houston was, Philadelphia is a 4 hour drive for them and a frequent visit..

So there's an attraction, they keep going back. Must be the Liberty Bell. I'd like to see it, in person.

Premier
04-23-2012, 07:55 PM
So there's an attraction, they keep going back. Must be the Liberty Bell. I'd like to see it, in person.

more-so a business trip than a vacation..

drs23
04-23-2012, 07:59 PM
more-so a buisness trip than a vacation..

OK, ya din't say bidness. I'd still like to see the Liberty Bell though.

Premier
04-23-2012, 07:59 PM
but yea demeco everything is spread out in houston, cities up in the northeast are tiny compared to houston, tiny and overpopulated.

ESAD2-14
04-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Throw my :twocents: in here. Demeco wasn't disrespectful to Houston or it's fans in any way. The writer on the other hand is just extolling the virtues of Philadelphia over Houston. I've been to Philly twice, was glad to leave both times. The country side surrounding the city is beautiful, the city itself not so much. Perhaps the most depressing city I have been to (my opinion of course). Some say they have the best fans, from what I have seen/heard/read they have the most notorious.

The Pencil Neck
04-23-2012, 08:22 PM
OK, ya din't say bidness. I'd still like to see the Liberty Bell though.

It's kinda cool. Walking around Independence Hall and that area around there is pretty cool.

Still love the Mutter Museum (http://www.collphyphil.org/site/mutter_museum.html)... although that's not a "normal" highlight for most people.

I liked living in the Philly area while I was there. It was just too damned cold in the winter and snowed too much. But it's beautiful in the springtime.

Brando
04-23-2012, 08:27 PM
It's kinda cool. Walking around Independence Hall and that area around there is pretty cool.

Still love the Mutter Museum (http://www.collphyphil.org/site/mutter_museum.html)... although that's not a "normal" highlight for most people.

I liked living in the Philly area while I was there. It was just too damned cold in the winter and snowed too much. But it's beautiful in the springtime.

That's why we have Winter Texans! :):fans:

Texan JBZ
04-23-2012, 09:39 PM
You guys are a bunch a candy asses. Demeco slyly takes on a dump on the city and the fanbase by saying that there's "a lot" of Cowboys fans here but only "some" Texans fans, and by basically saying that Philly is more passionate about football than HOUSTON, a city in TEXAS! IN THE SOUTH! WHERE WE ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT FOOTBALL ON EVERY LEVEL!!! Being loudmouths and uneducated, low-life belligerents doesn't make you a passionate fanbase. The flippin stadium in Philly has a courthouse and a jail at the damn stadium! And are we as Texans fans supposed to believe that Philly is dominated by Eagles fans when they share a very close geographic location to Pittsburgh? And not just Pittsburgh, whose fanbase dominates all across America. What about Philly's proximity to DC, Baltimore, and New York? Man, screw Demeco. We as a fanbase were all upset and pissy when the Texans FO traded him away. We HOUSTON TEXANS fans here in HOUSTON sounded out our frustration on message boards and airwaves about the loss of Demeco because he was one of our guys. And this is how he shows his appreciation? Very classy move Demeco.

Texan_Bill
04-23-2012, 09:47 PM
EFF DeMeco!!! No offense to him BUT he is no longer a Texan!! He apparently is happy in Philly but I ONLY CARE about the NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY........... WHICH SAYS "TEXANS" not the name on the back of the jersey! I don't think the FO was wrong for trading 'Meco, but I do question whether or not that they could'nt have got more for him... Just sayin'???

Fili
04-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Who cares if he likes another team, he's getting paid for doing something he loves...

Hagar
04-23-2012, 10:34 PM
I didn't see anything wrong with the article or anything Demeco said. He's going to have to get used to Phili because it is very different then Houston.

I will say that I prefer Phili fans to Texan fans. When there's more Steeler fans in Reliant then Texans fans, its a problem. Yeah, I know the Steeler fans travel well, but I don't care; it still a problem. You would never see that many fans from another team is Phili.

Premier
04-23-2012, 10:42 PM
When there's more Steeler fans in Reliant then Texans fans, its a problem.

smh, not even close to being true.. :kubepalm::wadepalm:

http://dailyfacepalm.chillpages.com/stroage-pit/uploads/2010/08/1272303749024.png

you believe that there were 35,000+ steeler fans at Reliant..

Corrosion
04-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Rather than wasting our time talking about this subject here , I think we would be better served if TC (or more aptly John McLaim & Boobies) would blog about it an post it on the Crapical ..... (No offense to TC).

Grid
04-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Lets be clear here. Demeco is simply stating facts. Nothing Demeco said is inaccurate. And though some of it may sting (like Cowboy fans in Houston).. it is unfortunately true, and he didnt say it to belittle anyone.

The whole "Houston is such a po-dunk P.O.S. city" vibe that the article gives off can be 100% attributed to the writer. This is obviously a yankee snob that feels the need to validate himself by pissing on southern cities.

Dont blame Demeco for the tone that some ********* writer set to his words. The sad fact of the matter is that people up north lack the moral fiber of southerners. Where we would try to avoid belittling northerners when given the opportunity because "thats just not how our mommas raised us", yankees tend to embrace that kind of callous disregard for others.

I figure that they just lack empathy with their fellow man due to their mothers being crack hoes and their daddy slinging rock on mainstreet. We shouldnt let them get under our skin, if anything we should pity them for their lack of humanity.

imatexan
04-24-2012, 04:10 AM
Lets be clear here. Demeco is simply stating facts. Nothing Demeco said is inaccurate. And though some of it may sting (like Cowboy fans in Houston).. it is unfortunately true, and he didnt say it to belittle anyone.

The whole "Houston is such a po-dunk P.O.S. city" vibe that the article gives off can be 100% attributed to the writer. This is obviously a yankee snob that feels the need to validate himself by pissing on southern cities.

Dont blame Demeco for the tone that some ********* writer set to his words. The sad fact of the matter is that people up north lack the moral fiber of southerners. Where we would try to avoid belittling northerners when given the opportunity because "thats just not how our mommas raised us", yankees tend to embrace that kind of callous disregard for others.

I figure that they just lack empathy with their fellow man due to their mothers being crack hoes and their daddy slinging rock on mainstreet. We shouldnt let them get under our skin, if anything we should pity them for their lack of humanity.

Have you ever lived in the city of Houston?

Either you havn't or you are blind to your surroundings, he is not stating facts at all.

I will agree that the writer turns the article more into a jab at Houston compared to just Demecos quotes.

Grams
04-24-2012, 06:34 AM

I am a "yankee" and I don't believe that I have ever said that about southerners or Texans. I sure don't make nasty comments about one's mother and father.

Maybe you need to look in the mirror as you just did what you say only "yankees" do.

Grid
04-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Some of you people need to lighten up and get a sense of humor. If you couldnt tell that was tongue in cheek, there is something wrong with you.

I mean for christ sake.. I am doing the exact same thing that I am accusing yankees of doing in my post :P

And Imatexan.. ive lived in Houston all my life, and I think you need to open your eyes.

The Astrodome is still standing and for the reasons that Demeco stated..amongst others. And houston does have a high percentage of Cowboy and Titan fans. They dont outnumber Texan fans I would think, but they would probably outnumber Steeler fans in Philly.

The Texans are a new team without much history. We were just excited to hit the playoffs and didnt get all that upset for not getting to the superbowl.

Houston is an incredibly spread out city. The largest city in the western hemisphere when it comes to how spread out it is.

Where exactly am I turning a blind eye here?

Geez.. get over it people. Demeco said nothing wrong. The only thing in that article worth getting your panties in a twist about is the tone that the writer set. He is the one that makes Demeco's comments seem like they are implied insults.

steelbtexan
04-24-2012, 08:41 AM
How many Super Bowls has that gotten Philly?

They've gotten to 2. Lost in what was one of the most exciting SB's ever. McNabb throwing up on the last drive certianly didn't help the cause.

They made it to 4 straight NFC championship games. If it wasn't for McNabb they would probably won a SB or 2. (A couple of those yrs they had the best team in the NFL. IMHO) Which is why McNabb got run out of town.

TexansFight
04-24-2012, 10:10 AM
The writer of that article is on crack if he thinks Philly has one of best downtowns in this country. There is the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall and not much else.

I spent 4 years in that ****hole of a city going to college. I couldn't wait to leave. No other city in the world that I have been to comes close in terms of the number of *******s/jerks you come across in Philly during a normal day. Houston is a million times better place to live. There is a lot more to do in Houston and he will find out that there are lot nicer places in Houston close to stuff to do than in Philly where he will most likely live in the suburbs

Rey
04-24-2012, 10:36 AM
I love the east coast. But I love southern cities too.

I think each place has it's pluses and minuses.

I haven't spent too much time out west other than Vegas, but I'm pretty sure there are positives and negatives to being out there too.

GP
04-24-2012, 12:46 PM
The writer of that article is on crack if he thinks Philly has one of best downtowns in this country. There is the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall and not much else.

I spent 4 years in that ****hole of a city going to college. I couldn't wait to leave. No other city in the world that I have been to comes close in terms of the number of *******s/jerks you come across in Philly during a normal day. Houston is a million times better place to live. There is a lot more to do in Houston and he will find out that there are lot nicer places in Houston close to stuff to do than in Philly where he will most likely live in the suburbs

When I read the book by Gaurnere and Heffron (Band of Brothers soldiers), who are both from South Philly, I really picked up on what their view on life is: Philly is the best and everybody else NOT from Philly is a chump.

It's woven throughout the whole book, which was written in their voice (the words are taken from interviews with Bill Guarnere and Babe Heffron and reproduced in its full entirety with no editing by the author).

Those two guys talked smack on everybody. Well, they had respect for Dick Winters but they still found ways to make sure we know that they (Bill and Babe) were still wise to the ways of the military world and could look out for themselves.

When Heffron joined Easy Company after Normandy, Bill heard Heffron talking to somebody and said "Hey you. where you from?" When Heffron replied South Philly, Bill replied that he could tell just from listening to him that he was from South Philly. Bill, IIRC, said it was more than just the accent....it was the way Babe carried himself, the way he projected himself while talking to someone, etc. It was more than an accent, it was the whole package...it was the attitude.

Switching gears now. Houston, when I visited it back during the Raiders game in 2011, seemed very multi-ethnic. Greeks, Asians, Latino, German, it seemed their were pockets of diversity sprinkled throughout the whole city of Houston and with lots of ethnicity jumbled up together--There would be a Greek deli, an Asian food place, and a pizza/pasta house in the same small strip mall...in the middle of a very white collar neighborhood.

I would suspect that Philly's ethnicity is not as diverse and celebrated. But I have never visited there before, so I don't know for sure. It seems like it would contain more Irish and other traditionally white cultures. Is this right, or do they have a diverse ethnic population?

When in Houston, it seemed to me that diversity was everywhere...not just in a downtown area.

JamesBill
04-24-2012, 01:26 PM
It's really irrelevant whether it's 10, 15, or 20 minutes, since the point is that the city is spread out with no true "center."

But, you must be foreign to the traffic ITL. When I lived in the Heights it took me 25-30 minutes to drive the 7 mile drive to work in Greenway Plaza everyday.

I rarely leave the loop. I have no idea why it takes you guys so long to get places. Someone talked about construction downtown, the only construction I can think of is on capitol and the road is still open.

Section516
04-24-2012, 01:40 PM
I rarely leave the loop. I have no idea why it takes you guys so long to get places. Someone talked about construction downtown, the only construction I can think of is on capitol and the road is still open.

I live inside the loop, frequent down town, work mid town. Rarely leave the loop also.

I leave Memorial Park between 5:05 and 5:15 and make it to 288/610 within 15 minutes. Prime rush hour.

Gotta learn the right way to go!

2012Champs
04-24-2012, 01:42 PM

You must not go anywhere near the galleria, the heights or washington because Ive lived around all and worked around the galleria for over 10 years and you clearly dont get out much if you dont understand the traffic issues or length of time to get places around houston

GP
04-24-2012, 01:44 PM
DeMeco was right: You guys should be as passionate about football as you are about arguing over traffic patterns.

:lol:

JamesBill
04-24-2012, 01:59 PM
I live inside the loop, frequent down town, work mid town. Rarely leave the loop also.

I leave Memorial Park between 5:05 and 5:15 and make it to 288/610 within 15 minutes. Prime rush hour.

Gotta learn the right way to go!

Pretty much.

You must not go anywhere near the galleria, the heights or washington because Ive lived around all and worked around the galleria for over 10 years and you clearly dont get out much if you dont understand the traffic issues or length of time to get places around houston

I work downtown and go to Washington almost everyday. If you hit an accident and are stuck, I agree it blows but getting around the inner loop is fine. It's all the guys heading out to SL and MoCity that are in hardcore traffic.

Double Barrel
04-24-2012, 02:42 PM
I would suspect that Philly's ethnicity is not as diverse and celebrated. But I have never visited there before, so I don't know for sure. It seems like it would contain more Irish and other traditionally white cultures. Is this right, or do they have a diverse ethnic population?

I was curious after reading your post, and here is what I found:

Philadelphia demographics: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Philadelphia)
44.2% Black
39.0% White
5.4% Asian
4.7% from other races
3.2% Mixed Race
0.2% Native American
0.05% Pacific Islander
12.5% of the population were Hispanic and Latino

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/04/Race_and_ethnicity_Philadelphia.png/600px-Race_and_ethnicity_Philadelphia.png
Red is White, Blue is Black, Green is Asian, Orange is Hispanic, Gray is Other, and each dot is 25 people.

Houston demographics: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Houston)
49.3% White (including Hispanic or Latino)
25.3% Black
16.5% from other races
5.3% Asian
3.2% from two or more races
0.4% Native American
0.1% Pacific Islander
3.2% Mixed Race
37% Hispanic or Latino of any race

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8a/Race_and_ethnicity_2010-_Houston.png/600px-Race_and_ethnicity_2010-_Houston.png
Red is White, Blue is Black, Green is Asian, Orange is Hispanic, Yellow is Other, and each dot is 25 residents.

GP
04-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Wow. Philly almost doubled up on Black vs. Houston's percentage.

Houston tripled up on Latino/Hispanic vs. Philly.

Lots of interesting things there! It seems Houston has White/Black/Hispanic vs. Philly's Black/White.

I would have figured Houston had way more Asian population than what your figures displayed, but it's a virtual deadlock with Philly (5.3% vs. 5.4%).

The difference is the amount of Hispanic in Houston. With Houston's large Hispanic population, it makes Houston more diverse than Philly, IMO. That's three major, distinct cultures in Houston vs. two in Philly.

Houston wins! WE WON SOMETHING! LOL.

Norg
04-24-2012, 03:23 PM
umm we got like 2 or 3 downtown streets ........ :kitten:

and maybe not in the city but the state there is Pittsburg and pats fans all over the place its a mixture

just like here Dallas and New orleans

Norg
04-24-2012, 03:36 PM
MARIO SAID THERE ARE DEERS IN HIS BACKYARD thats AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!! :bender:

imatexan
04-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Some of you people need to lighten up and get a sense of humor. If you couldnt tell that was tongue in cheek, there is something wrong with you.

I mean for christ sake.. I am doing the exact same thing that I am accusing yankees of doing in my post :P

And Imatexan.. ive lived in Houston all my life, and I think you need to open your eyes.

The Astrodome is still standing and for the reasons that Demeco stated..amongst others. And houston does have a high percentage of Cowboy and Titan fans. They dont outnumber Texan fans I would think, but they would probably outnumber Steeler fans in Philly.

The Texans are a new team without much history. We were just excited to hit the playoffs and didnt get all that upset for not getting to the superbowl.

Houston is an incredibly spread out city. The largest city in the western hemisphere when it comes to how spread out it is.

Where exactly am I turning a blind eye here?

Geez.. get over it people. Demeco said nothing wrong. The only thing in that article worth getting your panties in a twist about is the tone that the writer set. He is the one that makes Demeco's comments seem like they are implied insults.

1. No we don't have the Liberty Bell but acting like the Astrodome is the only place of any historical significant is inaccurate. San Jacinto monument? NASA? Historical Galveston?

2.The Texans have a very passionate fan base, I don't know why I need to even state this on a Texans message board. I am not denying that there are many Cowboys fans but to say that "some people are Texans fans" is wrong, more inaccurate "facts".

3. Largest city in the Western Hemisphere? I know you don't mean population so you must mean by land area, in which case in the continuous 48 States for larger cities Jacksonville and OKC are larger.
Also I can tell you living in LA that Houston is big but nothing compared to how LA never ends.

It does not take 20 minutes to get anywhere unless you live in the suburbs and I am sure that if you lived in the suburbs of Philly it would be the same. When I was living in Houston inside the loop I could easily get to anywhere I needed to go within 10 minutes. I mean where do you need to go, work? Grocery Stores? Restaurants? Movies? Sports stadiums? Shopping? Medical facilities?

He also states "no real downtown"...another false statement.
I mean you would think 3 professional sports stadiums, the second largest theater district in the US, concert venues, local government, shopping, parks, food, key business center, I could go on...

I don't see the need to defend Demeco. All we showed him was love and I am not saying that he is bashing and hating Houston but what he says to someone who has never been could paint an inaccurate picture.

pec0sb0b
04-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Just wait 'til the Eagles fans start throwing batteries or ice at him.

Premier
04-24-2012, 07:08 PM

my father used to live in conroe when i was a little kid, you would see the same thing,

----------------
demeco was saying he was getting recognized at the 76ers game, something hes never experienced here.. i saw the video on CSNPhilly, they put him on the jumbotron and announced Eagllllllllles new middle linebackerrrrrrr Duhh-Meeeeecooo Ryansssssss.. then everyone started clapping and the people around him started shaking his hand.. this is some bs. demeco said their fans were educated about football, i remember on boards across the web, eagles fans saying "yeah we finally got a MLB", then shortly asking, "who the f is demeco ryans?"..

Txn_in_Oki
04-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Ryans is right, a good number of fans in Houston are good with just making the playoffs.

I don't buy that. I think Texan fans were happy with making the playoffs because they had a 3d string QB running the show. Also a decade of mediocrity will make you appreciate the small things your team does right. No way are we "satisfied" with a trip to the playoffs.

Throwing trash and booing your team isn't going to do anything in the long run or the short term. Being an a-hole doesn't make you a great fan.

Premier
04-24-2012, 07:23 PM
whenever the eagles play in reliant we should boo and throw batteries at demeco, show him how passionate we are..

drs23
04-24-2012, 07:30 PM
whenever the eagles play in reliant we should boo and throw batteries at demeco, show him how passionate we are..

But we're too classy for that. Play nice! :D

The Pencil Neck
04-24-2012, 11:05 PM

When we lived in Pennsylvania, there were deer all over the place. They were extremely thick (and dangerous) through New Jersey.

What really surprised me when I lived up there was how freaking rural everything is. I'd always imagined the north as one giant factory with concrete covering everything. But it's actually very... natural. Lots of forests and woodlands.

A friend of mine lives up near Woodstock, NY, and it's like being out in the country in Texas. Except with more snow.

rolyat93
04-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Of course he's going to talk up the place he plays at now. No foul here, he's just trying to get the fans over there on his side, wish him the best.

Playoffs
04-25-2012, 10:16 AM
MARIO SAID THERE ARE DEERS IN HIS BACKYARD thats AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!! :bender:Those aren't deer -- those are guys dressed up like deer hoping to burglarize his house. They're all over the city of brotherly love.

KA4Texan
04-25-2012, 10:48 AM
I don't buy that. I think Texan fans were happy with making the playoffs because they had a 3d string QB running the show. Also a decade of mediocrity will make you appreciate the small things your team does right. No way are we "satisfied" with a trip to the playoffs.

Throwing trash and booing your team isn't going to do anything in the long run or the short term. Being an a-hole doesn't make you a great fan.

This, I was THRILLED they made the playoffs with Schaub out, considering I was cursing thinking it was all over when he went down.

The fact is, being REAL about situations and not flipping out like a child, throwing trash, flipping cars, rioting etc.... all the things that these "passionate/educated" fans do, does not mean you accept and strive for mediocrity.

My expectations are no less than the SB this time around, they have shown me by last season they have it in them (and with all the "adversity", so YES I was thrilled) anything less this season.... is unacceptable. I will remain a fan of my team no matter what, but anything less than that and someone better be gone. (Yes, no excuses SB or gone)