PDA

View Full Version : NFL To crack down on tipping off draft picks...

drs23
04-18-2012, 03:28 PM
I sure hope what the NFL is saying here (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82869a69/article/nfl-nfl-network-espn-to-reduce-draft-tipoffs) is true. It's perturbed me to no end to see the cameras showing the players getting "The Call" and the whole damn world knows before it's announced.

It might be only me but I'd like to be somewhat surprised and hear it from the Commish at the podium like it used to be.

Anyway, hope it's true.

False Start
04-18-2012, 03:45 PM
I sure hope what the NFL is saying here (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82869a69/article/nfl-nfl-network-espn-to-reduce-draft-tipoffs) is true. It's perturbed me to no end to see the cameras showing the players getting "The Call" and the whole damn world knows before it's announced.

It might be only me but I'd like to be somewhat surprised and hear it from the Commish at the podium like it used to be.

Anyway, hope it's true.

Right on, I agree. It takes all the suspense and excitement out of it. I dont want to know the pick until Rog announces it.

El Tejano
04-18-2012, 04:00 PM
That pissed me off when Kareem Jackson was drafted. Then they just skipped us altogether in showing the hightlights.

Yankee_In_TX
04-18-2012, 04:20 PM
I hate it, but my understanding is it's a 'hey, want to come play for us call?'

Which 99% of the time isn't needed, but some times you have the Eli Mannings of the world....

Norg
04-18-2012, 07:14 PM
good i think it will be better that wayyy

tho this time imma switch over to watch the draft on ESPN there pretty much a little less handcuffed then the NFLN

Naiirb
04-18-2012, 09:36 PM
"The NFL subsequently confirmed it won't show draftees on the phone in the green room before the announced pick on the first night of the draft."

So glad they decided to do this, such a simple change but it makes watching the draft so much better. I can't wait till next Thursday!

steelbtexan
04-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Nothing to do with this subject.

Goodell is the worst commish in NFL history. Who was a worse commish? He started with a gold mine that Tagliabue and his predicessors left him. Then Goodell made the the decision to crap on their legacy. The sad part is that the game we love is being ruined by a man that cares nothing about the game, but is a power monger/legaleese. (sp?) After the latest labor agreement that Kraft/BoBBy pushed through, is going to keep Rodger in power for a long time.

Aikman has it right, the NFL is following the path of MLB. It make take Rodger a while to get them to the level of the MLB. But he's doing everything he can to run the game that we love into the ground. Goodell is doing this as he's being instructed (like the great lawyer he is) by owners like Mara/BoBBy/Kraft all in the name of $$$$.

It really kinda makes me sad. Because the game I grew up with was the most action filled sport on the face of the earth. Action doesn't always mean points on the scoreboard. One of the best games I've seen in my lifetime was the Oiler/Steeler game on Monday night that ended up 9-6. It was a full intensity burtal game, with players being taken off the field left and right. That's when men played this game for the love of the game. God how I miss those days of the NFL.

Thanks for ruining all of that GoD'ell

NastyNate
04-18-2012, 11:02 PM
"The NFL subsequently confirmed it won't show draftees on the phone in the green room before the announced pick on the first night of the draft."

So glad they decided to do this, such a simple change but it makes watching the draft so much better. I can't wait till next Thursday!

The second and third nights however...

steelbtexan
04-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks GoD'ell for no longer making the draft the focus of my party on draft Saturday.

The crawfish are still great though.

Blake
04-19-2012, 07:40 AM
Agreed. Seeing these blubbering babies on the phone before the pick is announced ruined the surprise for me.

El Tejano
04-19-2012, 07:50 AM
Today I was listening to NFL on Sirius and they were talking about the things they'd like to change for the draft:

More Mayocking : Leave the draft experts at home if they aren't going to give a complete detail of why this or that player is a good pro player like Mayock who provides detail of the tangibles the NFL requires.

Of course they talked about not showing the players before they get announced. That's the part I heard.

I would add:

Having draft coverage at some of these NFL sites that have draft parties like at Reliant. Go there and ask fans who they want or what they did or didn't like right before their team is about to pick or after they are going to pick.

Have coverage with every team coaches or GMs not just Baltimore, NYJ, and New England. When teams pick go straight to their war room and ask questions.

CloakNNNdagger
04-19-2012, 09:02 AM
In response to Steelbtexan's Goodell post.

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBUtK8wq1aLEdu4mb3o1TU8QgYHEwUL Z6nTGCbuDgFZ5P1Lur3

And with the 26th pick of the 2012 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans choose........................

gtexan02
04-19-2012, 09:07 AM
My ideal draft day scenario:

Each pick is announced, and then the talking heads show clips of that player in college and talk about how he is going to fit into his new NFL team.

Next player, same deal.

I hate when they spend huge percentage of time talking about one player at the expense of the others. If I've watched to the Texans pick, I want to hear analysis of the texans pick. Not a pick 5 choices ago

El Tejano
04-19-2012, 09:17 AM

Each pick is announced, and then the talking heads show clips of that player in college and talk about how he is going to fit into his new NFL team.

Next player, same deal.

I hate when they spend huge percentage of time talking about one player at the expense of the others. If I've watched to the Texans pick, I want to hear analysis of the texans pick. Not a pick 5 choices ago

Exactly.

I'd also like more highlights of the players. You don't have to keep going back to show the faces of the guys talking on ESPN. Just show the highlights with their voices over it.

Wolf
04-19-2012, 06:40 PM

Next player, same deal.

This.

If I recall, last year I think they showed a little bit of jj and was off talking about someone else. Hell later in the rounds, I think they went to a commercial break when the Texans were up . And had to see who they selected on the ticker :strangle:

drs23
04-19-2012, 07:06 PM
This.

If I recall, last year I think they showed a little bit of jj and was off talking about someone else. Hell later in the rounds, I think they went to a commercial break when the Texans were up . And had to see who they selected on the ticker :strangle:

Yeah, that kinda pissed me off for a few years now. Now that we're getting a little more national media attention, do any of you folks think that will change?

cdollaz
04-20-2012, 10:18 PM
To make the draft better, keep Chris Berman from being anywhere near it. His schtick got old years ago.

Rey
04-20-2012, 10:49 PM
I wish there was another outlet to watch the draft besides NFL network and espn.

I wish a local station did the draft. I'd like to flip back and forth and be able to get in depth coverage of the texans' picks.

cuppacoffee
04-21-2012, 09:57 AM
I wish there was another outlet to watch the draft besides NFL network and espn.

I wish a local station did the draft. I'd like to flip back and forth and be able to get in depth coverage of the texans' picks.

Just stay right here.

You will get more and better info than from any of the talking heads anywhere.

Stats, pics and plenty of opinions.:) Guaranteed

:coffee:

badboy
04-21-2012, 04:09 PM
I also wish they would not talk about vets or retired players, This is about the new guys being drafted. If they feel need to ramble between picks make it about those not drafted yet and only the next team on the clock.

Allstar
04-24-2012, 12:57 AM
It'll still be all over twitter and the internet, so stay away if you like the drumroll effect. Also did it say that they'll stop reporting the pick early, or just that they won't show the phone calls on camera? If it's the latter, I don't know if this will change much...

Blake
04-24-2012, 07:30 AM
It'll still be all over twitter and the internet, so stay away if you like the drumroll effect. Also did it say that they'll stop reporting the pick early, or just that they won't show the phone calls on camera? If it's the latter, I don't know if this will change much...

I would hope they realize that people want to hear it from the podium. That is really what this whole change is about. They know we dont want to see it before it happens, why would we want to hear it before it happens?

I plan to stay off twitter and facebook and mute the TV until the pick is announced if I have to.

Rey
04-24-2012, 09:41 AM
I won't be on the internet until after our picks are made to talk about each selection...

I truly despise people ruining surprises for me...

GP
04-24-2012, 09:45 AM
I have a feeling twitter could be the work-around in terms of learning about the pick before it's announced at the podium.

You're going to see these college players, especially the first rounders, using twitter to say things like "Panthers rang me up. Gonna' be headed to Carolina!"

Know what I mean? Twitter lets the player be the media outlet now, and their agents will even encourage them to have someone making that much-anticpated tweet. Because I know a lot of you follow NFL players...you'll invariably add the college guys, too, to see if you can catch the scoop before the Commish announces it.

It's all about who can get the most eyeballs on THEIR client, and a smart agent would push for their player to make that tweet and grab several thousand followers just for that one moment on draft day.

Am I right? ;)

My advice, if you like the idea of knowing the pick as it's announced and not a few minutes beforehand, is to avoid twitter. You heard it here first.

Porky
04-24-2012, 10:08 AM
In a way it's kind of silly to be up in arms over a guy on a phone when that pick is coming in 30 seconds later, and which in the grand scheme of things means about the same as a pimple on a wart hog - but I gotta agree. I did not like the green room phone deal at all. I want to hear the name from the commish. If you want to play a short clip of the guy balling because he was the 10th pick or whatever go for it - but after the fact and not before. It just ruins the suspense and it's like the air is let out of the balloon. Such a very small item on life's journey, but hey it's something I don't like!

I also have to agree with the overall critique of draft coverage, and it gets worse as we move through the draft. I'm ok with things loosening up a tad after we get thru the first couple of rounds, but every pick deserves at least a short analysis from the expert, either Kiper or Mayock. When these guys are in the 5th round, they will go on and on about one player that was picked on day one, have interviews, etc while 20 picks are made. Then they will come back like this - Host - so Mike Mayock, we see that 20 picks have been made since we last talked about anything having to do with the draft. Anyone stand out to you? Mayock - Sure, Mike Smith from ND St by the Eagles. He has a chance to start. Good pick in the 5th rd. Host - Well thanks for that indepth analyis Mike. Now pick to more mindless drivel on draft day that has nothing to do with the players being picked. :wadepalm::kubepalm:

GP
04-24-2012, 12:54 PM
For me, the gripe I have with the kid on the phone before the pick is announced is this: The analysts in the booth get the scoop before us guys sitting at home in our LazyBoy chairs.

I want those privileged MoFo's (Mayock and Kiper) wearing their fancy suits and nice timepieces, guys who have all the inside info at their disposal all year long, to have to sit and wait for the announcement just like us at home.

Instead, they have always had somebody out on the production truck yacking into Mayock or Kiper's earpiece telling them what team is on the phone with the player. Then the privileged MoFo gets to announce the pick before the commish does. So not only does the privileged draft guru get to tell us all about their research (that they charge people for, btw, via EspnInsider subscriptions) but they also get to tell you, ahead of time, what player you're getting.

I imagine Goodell had heard enough complaints about this, and he decided to take the honor of saying the chosen player's name back into his custody. To a degree, it's self-serving by Goodell to do so...but in another sense, it gives back to the fan the dignity of knowing those privileged MoFo's have to take a back seat for at least a little bit of the time they're on the air.

That's secretly why I like this new way of handling the top picks. Anybody agree?

drs23
04-24-2012, 06:29 PM
For me, the gripe I have with the kid on the phone before the pick is announced is this: The analysts in the booth get the scoop before us guys sitting at home in our LazyBoy chairs.

I want those privileged MoFo's (Mayock and Kiper) wearing their fancy suits and nice timepieces, guys who have all the inside info at their disposal all year long, to have to sit and wait for the announcement just like us at home.

Instead, they have always had somebody out on the production truck yacking into Mayock or Kiper's earpiece telling them what team is on the phone with the player. Then the privileged MoFo gets to announce the pick before the commish does. So not only does the privileged draft guru get to tell us all about their research (that they charge people for, btw, via EspnInsider subscriptions) but they also get to tell you, ahead of time, what player you're getting.

I imagine Goodell had heard enough complaints about this, and he decided to take the honor of saying the chosen player's name back into his custody. To a degree, it's self-serving by Goodell to do so...but in another sense, it gives back to the fan the dignity of knowing those privileged MoFo's have to take a back seat for at least a little bit of the time they're on the air.

That's secretly why I like this new way of handling the top picks. Anybody agree?

I do. That's the reason I started this thread. :D

texasam82
04-26-2012, 12:21 AM
So will Roger nail the Colts? Hell they announced their pick well before the draft teams were even in NYC.

I expect Saints like penalties!

1bigfan13
04-26-2012, 12:48 AM
So will Roger nail the Colts? Hell they announced their pick well before the draft teams were even in NYC.

I expect Saints like penalties!

I just hope they don't take the full 10 minutes. Same with the Redskins.

And like everyone else, I'm hoping that the NFL network and ESPN do not tip the picks. The next few days should be fun and exciting.

Dishman
04-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Well, they aren't following thru. I saw Kalil smiling from ear to ear like he just hung up with the Vikings. Sure, they didn't show him on the phone, but the picks are being telegraphed just like years before.

ESPN owns Roger Goodell.

Stemp
04-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Well, they aren't following thru. I saw Kalil smiling from ear to ear like he just hung up with the Vikings. Sure, they didn't show him on the phone, but the picks are being telegraphed just like years before.

ESPN owns Roger Goodell.

Most of these picks are known.

Dishman
04-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Most of these picks are known.

Up to which pick? They've shown everyone up to Tannehill (8th pick).

Stemp
04-26-2012, 08:06 PM
They haven't shown the back room before the pick for the last couple of picks after Tannehill.

Dishman
04-26-2012, 08:12 PM
They haven't shown the back room before the pick for the last couple of picks after Tannehill.
Eh, they just showed Dontari Poe on the phone before he was picked by KC. I think ESPN just can't help themselves. Not a big deal, but seems they aren't truly cracking down. Just hoping they don't cut to commercial during the Texans pick!

Stemp
04-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Eh, they just showed Dontari Poe on the phone before he was picked by KC. I think ESPN just can't help themselves. Not a big deal, but seems they aren't truly cracking down. Just hoping they don't cut to commercial during the Texans pick!

At least it isn't every damn pick. That was annoying.

Wolf
04-26-2012, 10:34 PM
what I didn't understand it twitter world was ruining the surprise

I don't tweet but some said their twitter was going off early

ThaShark316
04-27-2012, 01:35 AM
NFL Network didn't show anyone one the phone.

Also, the NFL needs to crack down on the twitter **** on picks. I had to stay off of it for hours.

Maddict5
04-27-2012, 07:03 AM
NFL Network didn't show anyone one the phone.

Also, the NFL needs to crack down on the twitter **** on picks. I had to stay off of it for hours.

just fall behind and scroll down to where you were every few picks without reading the new ones on top and work your way up until your in range of whats on tv again and repeat. thats what i was doing anyway.

in fairness to nfln, they didnt show anybody and they mixed it up nicely- always saying the two most likely guys to go at every pick- sometimes they were right with their main choices, sometimes they were right with their second choices and sometimes it was neither

most fun draft in awhile

Blake
04-27-2012, 07:14 AM
Kudos to NFLN for not tipping picks after RG3.

GP
04-27-2012, 08:53 AM
I started and stayed with NFLN the whole night. I was very pleased.

NFLN is the place to be on draft night.

HOU-TEX
04-27-2012, 11:31 AM
I liked it. Not knowing before Goodell walked out was great. It got kinda back-logged there at the beginning, but there's not much that can be done about that.

I stayed off Twitter, knowing there'd be leaks. Glad I did

drs23
04-27-2012, 01:29 PM
I watched NFLN and thought they did a great job.

Now, what's up with the Poe hairdo that looked like hammered hell and that cheezy raghead store bling watch was a little over the top.

All that screamed entitlement to me. Bust, I'm thinking. :cheese:

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2012, 01:58 PM
I thought the viewing experience was much improved because of this.

LonerATO
04-29-2012, 03:38 AM
I don't mind the tipping, whether it's on Twitter or TV, but what I can't stand is Eisen and Berman, they both make the draft unwatchable.