PDA

View Full Version : NFL Network State of the Texans

Lurvinator11
04-16-2012, 10:15 PM
NFL Network did a "State of the Texans" program.

I swear these talking heads are dumb. Did you hear that one guy? "Mario sacks 10 times a game" HA!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/09000d5d8284cd17/State-of-the-Houston-Texans

hot pickle
04-16-2012, 10:30 PM
lol willie doesnt know what he talking about when it comes to the texans. didn't mention cush once

Thorn
04-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Talking heads talking stuff they don't know about and was written out for them by a script writer.

Mario Williams averaged ten sacks a game huh? Wow. No wonder Buffalo paid so much for him. :lol:

Lurvinator11
04-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Mario Williams averaged ten sacks a game huh? Wow. No wonder Buffalo paid so much for him. :lol:

Had he done that, We would have locked him up after his first year! C'mon guys!

Quick II Draw
04-17-2012, 03:29 AM
You guys are being really cynical. They open the video with a disclaimer that this is a "brief glance" at the Houston Texans.

Billick makes the (correct) assertion that Houston could go DT, DE/OLB, or WR...
McGinest obviously meant 10 sacks/year for Mario...
He mentions that Demeco was the "true leader" of the defense, which nobody really disagrees with...

The only big goof is that he implies Barwin, not Cushing, needs to step up and assume Demeco's leadership role.

Norg
04-17-2012, 05:06 AM
they talked same ol same ol nothing new

hey wont be has bad has the state of the Jags tho ... really tho i want to learn more about the Jags what have they got going for them ????? LOL

Quick II Draw
04-17-2012, 04:46 PM
they talked same ol same ol nothing new

hey wont be has bad has the state of the Jags tho ... really tho i want to learn more about the Jags what have they got going for them ????? LOL

Great DL, Near-great LBs, some young talent in the secondary, a superstar TE, perhaps the best HB in the game, a near-great OL, some pretty good WRs? Give them a legit WR1 and watch them go off...

El Tejano
04-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Great DL, Near-great LBs, some young talent in the secondary, a superstar TE, perhaps the best HB in the game, a near-great OL, some pretty good WRs? Give them a legit WR1 and watch them go off...

Andre isn't legit?? :wadepalm:

Quick II Draw
04-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Was talking about the jags.

:fingergun:

Double Barrel
04-17-2012, 04:57 PM
I have come to the conclusion over the years that the NFLN's "State of...." series in the off-season is not for the hardcore fans of those particular teams.

They are for hardcore football fans who might not be current about news regarding other teams, and that segment should be taken lightly. And I say "hardcore football fans" because the casual fans are not watching NFLN in April.

But more often than not, when they cover our team, I am never educated because I've already read the various aspects from many other sources (including this forum).

Dutchrudder
04-17-2012, 05:08 PM
You guys are being really cynical. They open the video with a disclaimer that this is a "brief glance" at the Houston Texans.

Billick makes the (correct) assertion that Houston could go DT, DE/OLB, or WR...
McGinest obviously meant 10 sacks/year for Mario...
He mentions that Demeco was the "true leader" of the defense, which nobody really disagrees with...

The only big goof is that he implies Barwin, not Cushing, needs to step up and assume Demeco's leadership role.

Mario played 6 seasons and had 53 sacks, which is 8.8 a year on average. Mario was averaging a sack a game in 2012 before he went down. That would be 16 a year if he actually finished the season. I don't know where the 10 number comes from or where it was going, but it didn't make sense.

The first guy (Billick?) gets on there and starts talking about Poe as a DT for Wade's system, which pretty much shows he doesn't know anything about Wade's system. It took our own fanbase quite some time to get used to the idea that Wade wants a ~300 pound guy, not a 330+ mountain in the middle, but I think most people are on board with it now.

The Whitney Mercilus suggestion is also weird, as he doesn't really fit our scheme. He's a 4-3 DE who might be able to play OLB in a 3-4, but isn't nearly as polished for that position as Shea McClellin. Merc is a one-year wonder kind of kid that has a good chance to bust if he is a 1st round pick. Making him a 5-tech 3-4 DE would be a disaster.

I don't have a problem with the WR suggestions of Hill and Wright, but I have a feeling the Texans will outsmart everyone and pick Rueben Randle.

Overall, I would say it was a rather uninformed segment.

ChampionTexan
04-17-2012, 05:19 PM

Conspicuous by it's absence is any mention of the QB position. A major problem that will not be overcome by giving them a legit WR1.

Norg
04-17-2012, 05:26 PM
if the jags oline is so good why did Sunshine get sacked alot last year ???? and ive never heard of there TE he must not be dat good :D

Rey
04-17-2012, 05:34 PM
if the jags oline is so good why did Sunshine get sacked alot last year ???? and ive never heard of there TE he must not be dat good :D

A lot of people were saying Gabbert was slow in his reads and held onto the ball far too long...

And you've never hear of Mercedes Lewis??

Ply mor Maddin....

pec0sb0b
04-17-2012, 06:11 PM
The first guy (Billick?) gets on there and starts talking about Poe as a DT for Wade's system, which pretty much shows he doesn't know anything about Wade's system. It took our own fanbase quite some time to get used to the idea that Wade wants a ~300 pound guy, not a 330+ mountain in the middle, but I think most people are on board with it now.

The Whitney Mercilus suggestion is also weird, as he doesn't really fit our scheme. He's a 4-3 DE who might be able to play OLB in a 3-4, but isn't nearly as polished for that position as Shea McClellin. Merc is a one-year wonder kind of kid that has a good chance to bust if he is a 1st round pick. Making him a 5-tech 3-4 DE would be a disaster.

I don't have a problem with the WR suggestions of Hill and Wright, but I have a feeling the Texans will outsmart everyone and pick Rueben Randle.

Ditto on Poe - they're more likely to take someone they can play outside in rotation with J.J. Watt and Antonio Smith and also move inside on passing downs in sub-packages (like Derek Wolfe, DE/DT, Cincinatti).

Mercilus will probably be long gone at 26 and I wholly agree with the high bust factor, like many first-round pass-rushers. I read they visited with Bruce Irvin, OLB, West Virginia - high potential at a much lower draft cost.

I'm not thrilled about Wright or Hill as first round picks as I don't really see either one as ready to start. Even though the Texans pick late in the first, if they choose the best player available they should be able to find a starter.

If they go OLB at #26 he would simply go into rotation with Barwin and Reed (unless he's really a monster). This need could be addressed in the second or third round. The need at DL could also be addressed in the second round, but history shows the Texans select a lot of defensive linemen in the first round. I still have a hard time seeing them select a WR in the first round. They quite possible go with OL in the first which could end up being the real value pick.

Offered with a grain of salt:
The Texans never pick the player they're predicted to pick.
The Texans always draft at least one TE.

With tongue in cheek I predict the Texans will pick Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford to keep the Colts from taking him.

pec0sb0b
04-17-2012, 06:20 PM

Ya'll finally got rid of Jack Del Rio and that was a step in the right direction. Now if you cand get rid of Gene Smith you'll be in good shape.

Dutchrudder
04-17-2012, 06:45 PM

You must be a Jags sunshiner to think that...

pec0sb0b
04-17-2012, 06:53 PM

And now Pot Roast Knighton got his eye hurt in a bar fight and will miss the off-season conditioning program and undoubtedly show up for training camp at 400 lbs.:lol: Texans got a lot of yards in the A-gap last year...expect more.

silentassassin
04-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Mario played 6 seasons and had 53 sacks, which is 8.8 a year on average. Mario was averaging a sack a game in 2012 before he went down. That would be 16 a year if he actually finished the season. I don't know where the 10 number comes from or where it was going, but it didn't make sense.

Overall, I would say it was a rather uninformed segment.

Agreed. And for certain teams it usually is.

Let's face it, they pay more attention to some teams than others. Our team happens to fall in that "other" category. So from the outside, they'll just ask themselves, "how many pro-bowlers did they lose/gain this offseason?" and then make a judgment from there. Nevermind that one didn't play for 70% of the games last season, and the other came off the field for nickel an sometimes switched for entire drives with his backup.

drs23
04-17-2012, 08:38 PM
All talking about who the Texans' first round pick will be I'll say I'm not SURE there'll be one.

My last dollar says Rick will do everything he can to trade down for more ammo. He might not be able to find a dance partner but my gut says he's on the horn now and has been trying to find one.

My money says he will.

The Third Man
04-17-2012, 09:13 PM
It's not too much to expect the NFL Network to offer an accurate assessment of each of their teams. Sorry, they have the resources to put the Texans off-season moves in context in a three minute segment. I don't expect Willie McGinest to know the ins and outs of the team, but the network can provide him with accurate research, or find someone who can. They simply can't put out a segment with such misinformation about Williams and the team. I could produce a better segment than that.

Mr teX
04-17-2012, 10:15 PM
mcginest clearly crammed for the test with his synopsis as there were so many things wrong with what he said, i thought he was talking about another team. The NFL network could've kept that.

DocBar
04-17-2012, 10:56 PM
I want that 3:26 of my life back. What a waste of time.

Dutchrudder
04-18-2012, 12:42 AM
All talking about who the Texans' first round pick will be I'll say I'm not SURE there'll be one.

My last dollar says Rick will do everything he can to trade down for more ammo. He might not be able to find a dance partner but my gut says he's on the horn now and has been trying to find one.

My money says he will.

If the 49ers or Giants really really want Fleener, then trade back with them. We don't have to pick up another pick, instead we could offer 26 and a 3rd for their 1st and 2nd. I don't think we really need more than the 8 picks we already have, so I would be in favor of trading picks up or getting 2013 picks.

DocBar
04-18-2012, 07:17 AM

My money says he will. I see where you're coming from, but it will definitely depend on circumstances with who's left on the board. I wouldn;t be butt hurt either way.

ObsiWan
04-18-2012, 11:02 AM

My money says he will.

I hope you're correct.

GP
04-18-2012, 11:12 AM
I am not in favor of trading down.

If we were coming off a bad year, building something new that required extra picks (like we did when we installed the ZBS scheme and traded down in order to get Brown and Slaton) then I understand a trade down.

But there will be several 1st round-quality players that slip to #26 for us to stay where we are and get TRUE quality at #26. I firmly believe it.

If not, and the best guys on the Texans' radar are gone...then "Yes" a trade down and grab extra ammo would be smart. But I just think we're going to have 1, or 2, or even 3 or 4 guys left for us at #26 that we can pick and be good to go with.

We will not take a QB, nor RB, CB, DL, K, P. I think at this point it's safe to say the first round pick will be either a TE, WR, OL, LB and a very outside shot of S. Fleener at TE, if he's there, is my pick. It makes Owen Daniels expendable after 2012 and gives us quality TE material for the future. It's the safe but smart pick by a mile, IMO.

It's the type of pick teams like the Patriots make at the back end of round 1. It should be against the law for us to get a TE like Fleener at #26 with the type of offense we have. If he's there, it's dumb to pass on him.

Ryan
04-18-2012, 04:07 PM
ESPN is just as bad. Mark Schlereth was talking about how Demeco was one of the only truly great LBs in the league and how he was little known because he spent his entire career in Houston, and talked about how "exceptionally well" he played last year coming off of an injury.

Quick II Draw
04-27-2012, 01:09 PM
I guess Old Man Billick wasn't so crazy after all