PDA

View Full Version : Texans Signing Bradie James

HOU-TEX
04-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Per Berman

Mark Berman‏@MarkBermanFox26

Texans signing free agent linebacker Bradie James. Spent career with Cowboys

He played Cushing's position for Dallas under Wade. Wonder if he can easily flip sides?

Thorn
04-12-2012, 01:47 PM
From Wikipedia:

James was drafted in the fourth round of the 2003 NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys. He was the sixth middle/inside linebacker taken, behind Nick Barnett of Oregon State, Kawika Mitchell of South Florida, Gerald Hayes of Pittsburgh, Cie Grant of Ohio State, and Angelo Crowell of Virginia.

He backed up Pro Bowl outside linebacker Dexter Coakley in a 4–3 defense during his first two seasons in the league, while showing playmaking ability as a special teams performer in 2003 and 2004.

In 2005, the Cowboys changed to a 3–4 defense, allowing him to have a breakout year, while making the transition from special teams player to starting middle linebacker to lead the Cowboys with 109 tackles.

In 2008, James became only the second Cowboys defender (Eugene Lockhart - 222 in 1989) to reach 200 tackles in a season.

James was the first player to lead the Cowboys in tackles more than three straight seasons. In 2009 he led the team in tackles for the fifth consecutive season, the longest streak in franchise history.

During his career, he also had to deal with the uncertainty of who would start at the other inside linebacker position, having to play with different teammates who included: Scott Shanle, Akin Ayodele, Zach Thomas, Keith Brooking and Sean Lee.

In 2011 with the emergence of Lee, James and Brooking split snaps at the other inside linebacker spot, which freed James to return kickoffs for the first time since 2005.

Mr teX
04-12-2012, 01:47 PM
DO. NOT. LIKE. This guy is old and a liability in coverage....ask cowboys fans.

False Start
04-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Per Berman

He played Cushing's position for Dallas under Wade. Wonder if he can easily flip sides?

Nice low key signing, and a former player for Wade, not a bad idea.

It says on Wiki he returned kickoffs? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradie_James) A linebacker returning kicks? :thinking:

In 2011 with the emergence of Lee, James and Brooking split snaps at the other inside linebacker spot, which freed James to return kickoffs for the first time since 2005.

Playoffs
04-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Bradie James was 38/50 on PFF signature score for ILBs taking >25% of snaps.

Demeco was 20/50 & Cushing was 2/50.

drunkcookie
04-12-2012, 01:53 PM

I agree..i say we just don't address depth at ILB at all...

Kitty cat

BattleRedRock
04-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Per Berman

I think he'll prolly just be a back up, as i see it, its still Reed, Cush, Sharpton, Barwin.. guessing sharp and cush signal the calls. OR they think Sharp isnt progressing well from his injury which isnt good considering he was playing extremely well before it happen.. I still think they draft a LB in 1st 3 rds.. hopefully.. Nick Perry how does that Houston Texas weather feel?!?!

Blake
04-12-2012, 01:55 PM
First impressions is that he is slow. But I will assume that Wade has a plan to utilize his strengths, not rely on his weakness.

Mr teX
04-12-2012, 01:57 PM
I agree..i say we just don't address depth at ILB at all...

Kitty cat

In all liklihood, this guy isn't coming here to be depth, he's coming to start opposite Cush imo. & the only way that doesn't happen is if we go ILB in the 1st......which is likely not going to happen. Imo, we should be trying to get younger at the LB position, not signing old guys to be potential starters.

drunkcookie
04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
In all liklihood, this guy isn't coming here to be depth, he's coming to start opposite Cush imo. & the only way that doesn't happen is if we go ILB in the 1st......which is likely not going to happen. Imo, we should be trying to get younger at the LB position, not signing old guys to be potential starters.

Oh yah, i forgot that Sharpton is in his 30s...

Again with the kitty

Goldensilence
04-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Maybe older than Sharpton, but could likely be an upgrade and might make it less of a need to draft an ILB high.

At any rate our depth at ILB gets a boost.

Mr teX
04-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Oh yah, i forgot that Sharpton is in his 30s...

Again with the kitty

The fact that they're signing this dude should tell you all you need to know about where they are with Sharpton.....bring an old guy in to compete and push the youngster...Sharpton's at a disadvantage in just about every catergory with this signing.

michaelm
04-12-2012, 02:07 PM
The Texans have a history of filling weaknesses pre-draft so that they are more able to draft BPA, instead of drafting for need. This should be a low cost signing that fits that MO perfectly.
Business as usual, IMO.

James competes to start and if he doesn't win the starting job, he makes quality depth is the worst case scenario, I'd say.

Goldensilence
04-12-2012, 02:08 PM

Per HT.com http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster.html

Our listed ILBers are....

Brian Cushing - 3
Alexander Mister - R
Daryl Sharpton - 2

OLBers

Brooks Reed - R
Conor Barwin - 3
Bryan Braman - R
Jesse Nading - 3
Derrel Smith - R
UFA Tim Dobbins 6

How much younger can we get bro? At this point I just want to get better/more talented regardless of age or # of years played. I also think having adding another vet after losing Demeco is a good thing.

Younger doesn't always mean better.

drunkcookie
04-12-2012, 02:09 PM
The fact that they're signing this dude should tell you all you need to know about where they are with Sharpton.....bring an old guy in to compete and push the youngster...Sharpton's at a disadvantage in just about every catergory with this signing.

What it tells me is that they replaced an empty ILB slot on the roster... Now if the money is starter- big i'll agree that it says a lot about their view on Sharpton...

We'll see, maybe they do draft ILB high anyway...

Jackie Chiles
04-12-2012, 02:11 PM

Looks like a depth signing to me. Nothing more nothing less.

Ryan
04-12-2012, 02:12 PM
I actually like the signing. He didn't fit well in Rob Ryan's scheme just like Demeco didn't really fit in Wade's. He had 100+ tackles every season when Wade was there. Very good pickup IMO at least to bring back some depth.

drunkcookie
04-12-2012, 02:13 PM

How much younger can we get bro? At this point I just want to get better/more talented regardless of age or # of years played. I also think having adding another vet after losing Demeco is a good thing.

Don't you know? It's not about how much younger we can get, it's about how much more some have to ***** about without thinking first...

The Pencil Neck
04-12-2012, 02:14 PM
This guy takes Dobbins' spot.

He's not a starter. Right now, Sharpton is the starter.

But I think this means we probably don't draft an ILB in the first 3 rounds like I'd been thinking we'd do.

Mr teX
04-12-2012, 02:18 PM

Our listed ILBers are....

Brian Cushing - 3
Alexander Mister - R
Daryl Sharpton - 2

OLBers

Brooks Reed - R
Conor Barwin - 3
Bryan Braman - R
Jesse Nading - 3
Derrel Smith - R
UFA Tim Dobbins 6

Younger doesn't always mean better.

& we should continue that trend of continuing to bring young guys in the fold. & don't discount Cush as a vet. this will be his 4th year in the NFL & 2nd full season in Wade's system in which he was the feature ILB calling everything. I imagine that there's not much if anything that james can bring to the table that Cush doesn't already know or has done. Ultimately, he'll just be a liability out there much like Ryans was; maybe even a greater liability.

welsh texan
04-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Hope he's very cheap, 1 year deal, and it sounds as if Wade knows exactly what he has in him, and he'll fit the system perfectly (whether thats at a good performance level or not is TBA)

Good signing, I have no problem with bringing guys in to compete, if they find someone they like in the draft, someone gets cut in camp.

Thorn
04-12-2012, 02:29 PM
I don't see this as anything to either panic or wildly cheer about. As others have said, it seems to be a good debth signing. All our guys have a year under Wade now, and this guy has more. Seems OK to me.

drunkcookie
04-12-2012, 02:31 PM
have no problem with bringing guys in to compete, if they find someone they like in the draft, someone gets cut in camp.

That's how i see it...we'll see where it goes...

We have to understand that there are not multiple Cushing caliber players out there in FAgency and the draft...gotta get people in here and see if they pan out... There are a lot worse options out there than James...

HOU-TEX
04-12-2012, 02:35 PM
I don't see this as anything to either panic or wildly cheer about. As others have said, it seems to be a good debth signing. All our guys have a year under Wade now, and this guy has more. Seems OK to me.

Agreed, Thorn. If he wins the spot, fine. If not, he'll be better than average depth. Dunno what there is to get bent out of shape about.

ChampionTexan
04-12-2012, 02:42 PM

Agreed - this goes at least some of the way towards filling the void in experience that the DeMeco trade left, but in terms of salary should be much more in line with the likely on field production we'll be receiving. While I think he might compete with Sharpton for the starting job, I'll be extremely surprised if the expectation isn't simply that he'll be the backup to Cushing (that is to say I am in total agreement with the previous comment that he's the replacement for Dobbins).

I also agree with - and like very much - the idea that it increases our flexibility in the draft.

Likely not an impact addition, but a zero to low risk add.

BullNation4Life
04-12-2012, 02:47 PM

He shouldn't be in coverage. That will be Cushing....

Section516
04-12-2012, 02:49 PM
James re-joins defensive coordinator Wade Phillips with the Texans, whom he played for in Dallas for four seasons. During that time, James picked up 448 total tackles and 13 sacks.

His best season came in 2008, where he produced a career-high eight sacks and three forced fumbles and garnered Pro Bowl consideration.

James, a team captain, was a trusted veteran in the locker room and helped organize weekly team dinners with the defensive players. He also became the first Cowboys defensive player to lead the team in tackles for four consecutive seasons.

I think the second bolded part is pretty big. Replace some leadership lost by Ryans

Corrosion
04-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Bradie James was 38/50 on PFF signature score for ILBs taking >25% of snaps.

Demeco was 20/50 & Cushing was 2/50.

When you consider the amount of snaps this cat will see ....this is not a bad move when you factor in the salary cap situation.

I told people months ago I expected Demeco to be re-structured because ~$8.5m was too steep for a guy playing ~30% of the snaps. People said I was nuts ..... now he's been traded because of that salary, maybe Im not so nuts afterall.

He may be a liability in coverage but likely wont be on the field for a lot of passing downs / situations , neither was Demeco.

Teams just cant afford an All Pro at every position in the salary cap era.

Allstar
04-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Good move. Adds depth, don't really see any reason to whine about this.

Mr. White
04-12-2012, 03:00 PM
James re-joins defensive coordinator Wade Phillips with the Texans, whom he played for in Dallas for four seasons. During that time, James picked up 448 total tackles and 13 sacks.

His best season came in 2008, where he produced a career-high eight sacks and three forced fumbles and garnered Pro Bowl consideration.

James, a team captain, was a trusted veteran in the locker room and helped organize weekly team dinners with the defensive players. He also became the first Cowboys defensive player to lead the team in tackles for four consecutive seasons.

I think the second bolded part is pretty big. Replace some leadership lost by Ryans

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't think that they're expecting him to make the Pro Bowl while he's here.

This is Wade bringing in one of his guys to lead in the locker room. I also expect that he may not be great at LB, but I think he will be serviceable as a rotation guy.

Mr teX
04-12-2012, 03:08 PM
When you consider the amount of snaps this cat will see ....this is not a bad move when you factor in the salary cap situation.

I told people months ago I expected Demeco to be re-structured because ~$8.5m was too steep for a guy playing ~30% of the snaps. People said I was nuts ..... now he's been traded because of that salary, maybe Im not so nuts afterall.

He may be a liability in coverage but likely wont be on the field for a lot of passing downs / situations , neither was Demeco.

Teams just cant afford an All Pro at every position in the salary cap era.

& that's not what i'm advocating; people are assuming that's why i don't like the signing. I don't like it b/c i don't think he really brings much to the table; i.e. it's still a net loss imo going from Ryans/Sharpton to Sharpton/James.

The other thing about this move is that i know deep down it's just a temporary fix. I'd rather just let 2 young studs battle it out (sharpton & kuechly/kendricks?) & let the best man win. That's not to say that this still can't happen, but i think the move may soften them towards going ILB high in favor of some other position now.

Playoffs
04-12-2012, 03:08 PM
This guy takes Dobbins' spot.Mark Berman ‏ @MarkBermanFox26 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Texans reach agreement with free agent LB Tim Dobbins

ArlingtonTexan
04-12-2012, 03:16 PM

It does not move the needle for me either way. In earlier threads, i pretty sure that the discussion was made that Texans were going to bring a veteran ILB with some size. Well, here we go and one who is considered a good teammate with specifc experience working with Wade.

I think he will mostly play on obvious rushing downs at this point.

SW H-TOWN
04-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Just read where Bradie James had a kid when he was 13. Wow, he got started real early.

El Tejano
04-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Mark Berman ‏ @MarkBermanFox26 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

This is good news. We got James and Dobbins, that's 4 MILBs which means that position just went down on the draft board.

drunkcookie
04-12-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't like it b/c i don't think he really brings much to the table; i.e. it's still a net loss imo going from Ryans/Sharpton to Sharpton/James.

I could get with that, IF DeMeco wasn't making wayyyy too much money for a rotation guy...

I don't.know exactly what they'll be paying James, but i can guarantee you it won't be near as much as DeMeco was making...

Basically, if James sticks you maybe didn't improve but you did gain an extra 3rd round pick and extra cap space...

A win/win (if)...

SW H-TOWN
04-12-2012, 03:22 PM
this is good news. We got james and dobbins, that's 4 milbs which means that position just went down on the draft board.

way down.

Section516
04-12-2012, 03:27 PM
way down.

I'm fine with CUSHING, Sharpton, James, Dobbins. No draft pick this year on a middle backer. I'm happy with that.

drunkcookie
04-12-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm fine with CUSHING, Sharpton, James, Dobbins. No draft pick this year on a middle backer. I'm happy with that.

I dunno if i'd be fine with that, i'll let you know around November, Dec, Jan and hopefully Feb...

Don't leave out AndThat's Mister ToYou Alexander... Wade may be pretty confident in that young fella...

We'll see come draft time how confident Wade and Co. are with this updated ILB corps...

Ryan
04-12-2012, 03:34 PM
I'd like to draft one in the 3rd or 4th round still to compete for the 4th spot with Dobbins.

Rey
04-12-2012, 03:36 PM
I like Mister Alexander and I hope he's good enough to win the job.

Corrosion
04-12-2012, 03:38 PM
& that's not what i'm advocating; people are assuming that's why i don't like the signing. I don't like it b/c i don't think he really brings much to the table; i.e. it's still a net loss imo going from Ryans/Sharpton to Sharpton/James.

I wont disagree with that , but again , we are in the salary cap era and its just difficult to pay everyone. Paying a guy ~$8.5m for 30% of the snaps just isnt feasable. (considering they have Cushing next to him and have to pay him soon).

The other thing about this move is that i know deep down it's just a temporary fix. I'd rather just let 2 young studs battle it out (sharpton & kuechly/kendricks?) & let the best man win. That's not to say that this still can't happen, but i think the move may soften them towards going ILB high in favor of some other position now.

Yes , its a temporary fix .... but it gives the team flexability come draft time. They still need to draft a WR and need to solidify both lines - especially with the loss of Winston and Briesel.

You only have so many picks .... hard to fill every hole in one offseason , especially when you lose bigtime players due to cap constraints.

drunkcookie
04-12-2012, 03:40 PM
I like Mister Alexander and I hope he's good enough to win the job.

It was for sure a small sample size, but i liked what i saw as well...

Playoffs
04-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Just read where Bradie James had a kid when he was 13. Wow, he got started real early.How the heck do you have a kid at 13 years of age???

Jackie Chiles
04-12-2012, 03:50 PM

Its a net loss when you compare him to DeMeco but anything outside of a high pick in the draft would be. James isn't going to be making much money, certainly not anything near what Ryans was making.

As far as letting 2 young guys battle it out the idea certainly is intriguing but the more I think about it the more I dislike the idea of spending a premium pick on a 2-down position. And as long as Cushing is here that is unlikely to change.

If we could find a way to do what SF has done with Willis and Bowman and keeping them on the field constantly that position gets elevated but whose playing time are they taking away from? Nickle CB? The other rush LB? We have pretty talented guys there imo.

drunkcookie
04-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Just read where Bradie James had a kid when he was 13. Wow, he got started real early.How the heck do you have a kid at 13 years of age???

Have sex when you're 12, most likely...

GP
04-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Just now seeing this.

Well, uh, umm...I will have to pause and refrain from judging this acquisition.

Like some have said: Might be for depth, might do better in Wade's D than in Rob Ryan's D. Might not be asked to do much but be a veteran presence like Dobbins was.

So, I will wait til later to look at this one. I do remember thinking he would bust with Dallas (and he eventually did) but also have to take into consideration the difference in defenses (both in talent AND in its scheme differences).

Corrosion
04-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Have sex when you're 12, most likely...

They really dont want to know when I started "Hittin" the babysitter ..... :kitten:

Jackie Chiles
04-12-2012, 04:02 PM
I do remember thinking he would bust with Dallas (and he eventually did) but also have to take into consideration the difference in defenses (both in talent AND in its scheme differences).

Just curious about this comment. By bust are you referencing his draft status or some contract he signed after his rookie deal?

Mr teX
04-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Its a net loss when you compare him to DeMeco but anything outside of a high pick in the draft would be. James isn't going to be making much money, certainly not anything near what Ryans was making.

As far as letting 2 young guys battle it out the idea certainly is intriguing but the more I think about it the more I dislike the idea of spending a premium pick on a 2-down position. And as long as Cushing is here that is unlikely to change.

If we could find a way to do what SF has done with Willis and Bowman and keeping them on the field constantly that position gets elevated but whose playing time are they taking away from? Nickle CB? The other rush LB? We have pretty talented guys there imo.

Well the secondary is the weakest area for us on the defensive side of the ball & if drafting an ILB high in the draft meant us possibly gaining the ability to not have to trot out more players from the weakest area of our defense, then i think its a win for us in the end.

& Kuechly is probably out of reach for us but Kendricks could certainly be a 3 down player for us. & not only that but we potentially gain a better & younger passing rushing stud at that position with him. None of our other rush guys would have to leave the field & the only players losing PT would be someone who's not a starter anyway....McCain, Harris, Carmicheal etc.

We've done nothing but have net losses this entire offseason & i'd just like to see us gain a little is all. These types of offseasons are why teams go from the playoffs to sitting at home the next year. I just don't want to see us lose the momentum we've finally got now. The James addition does nothing for me in this regard. Hopefully this changes once the draft hits.

StarStruck
04-12-2012, 04:07 PM
My initial reaction was Who? It must have been 10 years ago when he signed my baseball cap, well not that long, but just saying. I had to go though the archives on that one.

Jackie Chiles
04-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Well the secondary is the weakest area for us on the defensive side of the ball & if drafting an ILB high in the draft meant us possibly gaining the ability to not have to trot out more players from the weakest area of our defense, then i think its a win for us in the end.

If you feel that way it makes sense. I disagree, I think Brice McCain had a fantastic year for us. Thats coming from someone who thought he was horrendous two years ago and wouldn't make the team out of training camp.

Section516
04-12-2012, 04:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4691679/looking-back-at-bradie-james-time-with-boys

sBradie James never complained about his reduced role with the Cowboys and leaves with over 1,000 tackles recorded.
By the time the Cowboys chose to part ways with Terence Newman and decline to re-sign Bradie James, the general consensus was good riddance.

It’s a shame because Newman and James had solid tenures with the Cowboys even if the team success eluded them.

A day after Terence Newman decided to reunite with former Cowboys coordinator Mike Zimmer in Cincinnati, James decided to reunite with former Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips, according to a source, in hopes of returning to a form that made him one of the NFC’s better inside linebackers.

While James started 13 games in 2011, he was not the focal point of the inside linebacker group. That went to Sean Lee. James’ playing time suffered and he was credited with 53 tackles after posting at least 109 in each of the previous six seasons.

Tackle numbers can be a funny thing. Individual coaches have different ways of grading film, which is why the NFL does not consider it an official stat. From 2005-10, James had 109, 132, 130, 202, 181 and 163 tackles. Were some of those tackles padded? Perhaps. But James was a fixture on that defense.

James was hoping 2011 would be a similar success and he could parlay that into another multi-year deal from the Cowboys or another team, but it quickly became apparent defensive coordinator Rob Ryan wanted Lee to be the guy taking over as signal caller.

The proud James never complained. He volunteered to play special teams. He remained a good teammate and captain even as the team moved on. Too often those who chirp about a lack of playing time get more attention rather than those who act as professionally as James did.

With nine years and credited with more than 1,000 tackles, the Cowboys got more than they could have expected from James when they took him in the fourth round of the 2003 draft.

Texn4life
04-12-2012, 04:31 PM
I think it's a solid pickup. I trust in Wade's decision making regarding the defensive players he's brought in thus far. The fact that we pulled the trigger so soon after he was made available let's me know Wade believes he still has a lot to offer to a team.

It's not an overly sexy signing, but I can get behind it.

Corrosion
04-12-2012, 04:42 PM
I think it's a solid pickup. I trust in Wade's decision making regarding the defensive players he's brought in thus far. The fact that we pulled the trigger so soon after he was made available let's me know Wade believes he still has a lot to offer to a team.

It's not an overly sexy signing, but I can get behind it.

Often , its those not so sexy signings that mean the difference between a LOmbardi Trophy and .... watching someone else play for it.

Dutchrudder
04-12-2012, 04:43 PM
It's a good signing assuming they didn't pay him much. He's 31 and hasn't missed a game in 8 years. That's pretty dang good for a LB who was heavily used for at least 6 of those years. He doesn't get many sacks or turnovers, but he sure does get a lot of tackles. He ought to be a good 2-down LB for his run stopping abilities.

From 2010, here's a good 4th down stop by him against the Giants:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM1BPgondVA

If you want to know more about him personally, here's a local news bit on him:
http://youtu.be/sco2QqGH6dE

conundrum
04-12-2012, 04:48 PM
I cant believe some people are complaining about this. The guy will provide some leadership we lost when meco was traded and knows Wades system. He'll help the younger guys and obviously has no issues doing whatever is best for the team being that he volunteered to play special teams last year after putting up solid numbers the previous 4 years.

Corrosion
04-12-2012, 05:33 PM
It's a good signing assuming they didn't pay him much. He's 31 and hasn't missed a game in 8 years. That's pretty dang good for a LB who was heavily used for at least 6 of those years. He doesn't get many sacks or turnovers, but he sure does get a lot of tackles. He ought to be a good 2-down LB for his run stopping abilities.

From 2010, here's a good 4th down stop by him against the Giants:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM1BPgondVA

If you want to know more about him personally, here's a local news bit on him:
http://youtu.be/sco2QqGH6dE

Demeco for a whole lot less than the Texans were going to have to pay him this season .... MSR.

Rey
04-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Good posts in here corrosion.

This is a solid signing and this a long with the dobbins pick pretty much eliminates the need for MLB in the draft. Now we have more real-estate to play with.

Wolf6151
04-12-2012, 06:15 PM

The guy has plenty left in his tank and he'll come out of the game on passing downs like Demeco did.

I do worry though about what signing him will do to our compensatory picks next year.

Wolf6151
04-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Good posts in here corrosion.

This is a solid signing and this a long with the dobbins pick pretty much eliminates the need for MLB in the draft. Now we have more real-estate to play with.

I'm liking this signing as well and agree that we can probably scratch ILB off our mocks. I do worry about his affect on our comp. picks next year.

Nawzer
04-12-2012, 06:24 PM
This signing neither excites me nor does it disappoint me. It's the kind of signing every team makes which may pay dividends later on in the year. At the very least it'll give the young guys like Brooks Reed, Bryan Braman, and even Barwin a veteran to go to.

ChampionTexan
04-12-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm liking this signing as well and agree that we can probably scratch ILB off our mocks. I do worry about his affect on our comp. picks next year.

According to Rotoworld, he signed for the veteran minimum. Assuming that's true, that should minimize any negative impact he has on the compensatory picks.

drunkcookie
04-12-2012, 06:43 PM
According to Rotoworld, he signed for the veteran minimum.

If this is true, I really like this pick-up...

drunkcookie
04-12-2012, 06:47 PM
"McClain_on_NFL: ILB Bradie James gets 1 yr, $825 base, $65 SB. $250 is guaranteed. $605 cap figure."

ChampionTexan
04-12-2012, 06:50 PM
If this is true, I really like this pick-up...

$825k annual salary (Minimum for a player with 9 years experience)
$ 65k signing bonus
$250k guaranteed (Including the signing bonus)

LINK (http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2012/04/bradie-james-gets-less-than-a-million-to-sign-with-houston.html)

H.C.4100-Bloc
04-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Good pickup:bravo:

kiwitexansfan
04-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Not a good player but value for money given his knowledge of the system.

The Pencil Neck
04-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Mark Berman ‏ @MarkBermanFox26 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

lol.

On the other hand... :wadepalm:

Take these two signings together, and it means that we're good with Cushing and Sharpton starting. James, Dobbins, and Alexander become situational players giving us depth and special teams play.

I was kinda hoping that we'd draft an ILB but this removes that need.

TejasTom
04-12-2012, 08:05 PM

According to Rotoworld, he signed for the veteran minimum. Assuming that's true, that should minimize any negative impact he has on the compensatory picks.

I believe playing time is a factor, but being a rotation or backup should make much impact on comp pick either.

Texan_Bill
04-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Training camp competition for depth...

OTOH, if we sign Hooshamazilli, "Championship"

pec0sb0b
04-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Texans still have a scheduled visit with Mychal Kendricks LB Cal. This guy moved inside as a senior and has some skills.

Thorn
04-12-2012, 08:27 PM
lol.

On the other hand... :wadepalm:

Take these two signings together, and it means that we're good with Cushing and Sharpton starting. James, Dobbins, and Alexander become situational players giving us depth and special teams play.

I was kinda hoping that we'd draft an ILB but this removes that need.

Good. Now we can draft a QB or RB in the 1st round. :lol:

The Pencil Neck
04-12-2012, 09:24 PM

Well, I mean, they still might do it.

But now they don't NEED to do it. With the size of these guy's contracts ,they can easily be cut if a better option presents itself.

GP
04-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Just curious about this comment. By bust are you referencing his draft status or some contract he signed after his rookie deal?

Yeah, uh, I goofed up. I got him and Keith Brooking mixed up. LOL.

I did the same thing last off-season, getting the Safety from the Jets confused with the safety from the Chargers. People were wanting the Safety from the Chargers, but I was thinking they were talking about the Safety from the Jets. I was all like, "Why in the world would we want HIM?!?!?" and the whole time I was thinking of the wrong white guy.

:GPpalm:

GP
04-12-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm thinking we go TE. Fleener.

Lucky
04-12-2012, 10:11 PM
How do you figure that? Sharpton has like 6 career starts (none under Phillips) and is coming off IR. Bradie James started for Wade Phillips for 4 seasons. If anything, this is Bradie James' job to lose. And if he does lose it, I think it's Dobbins that takes it.

The Pencil Neck
04-12-2012, 11:14 PM
How do you figure that? Sharpton has like 6 career starts (none under Phillips) and is coming off IR. Bradie James started for Wade Phillips for 4 seasons. If anything, this is Bradie James' job to lose. And if he does lose it, I think it's Dobbins that takes it.

Well, my thinking was that Sharpton is younger and more athletic than James and Dobbins at this point in time. When Demeco was traded, the job fell to Sharpton. I don't think a guy getting a vet minimum contract automatically takes it away from him.

I think Sharpton will rise to the top after getting an offseason working in this defense. But I could be wrong.

James might take it away from him. But from what I saw of James last year, he didn't look all that great. Maybe it was the wrong defense, maybe he's lost it. But he's got to prove to me that he's got the job.

Sharpton spending half the year on IR doesn't worry me that much.

At least, not yet.

In goal line situations, I think Dobbins gets the call. I think he's better in restricted space but I think he's a liability (much like James) when he's got to work in space.

ArlingtonTexan
04-13-2012, 12:48 AM
I don't think that Bradie/Sharpton is one over the other versus one has this skill set and other something different. My April guess is that under ideal situations neither guy approaches 50% of the total snaps and the re-signing of Dobbins confuses this more. If they actually battle it between three versus divide up the duties, right now I would place a same sum on dobbins to win the job, but I think it going to be situational football.

I am basing this notion on the fact that Ryans only played less than 60% of the snaps and before Sharpton's injury, Sharpton was coming in nickle situations and Ryans was probably playing right at 50% of the snaps. (Sure one of the nerd stat sites could correct these numbers). Could see something like Bradie on clear running situations and Sharpton in those nickle, but not quite dime situations. In dime situations, Demps played "LBer" quite a bit.

ObsiWan
04-13-2012, 01:00 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't think that they're expecting him to make the Pro Bowl while he's here.

This is Wade bringing in one of his guys to lead in the locker room. I also expect that he may not be great at LB, but I think he will be serviceable as a rotation guy.

....makes me wonder if the DeMeco trade was Rick Smith's idea or was it Wade's from the very beginning..? The more I look at this follow-up move, it smells like a Wade move.

beerlover
04-13-2012, 02:01 AM
No question Wade has full authority to sign off on defensive players, but, they must be value added (per Rick Smith). Tells me there is a new target: guys going into their 3rd contracts not their 2nd's. Cheaper, more experienced & team oriented. This is an excellent tool to keep costs down while resigning foundation players to big salary's they command (Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, Matt Schaub, Jonathan Joseph etc...).

DocBar
04-13-2012, 02:11 AM
I like the signing and hope we draft ILB if that's the BPA at our pick. The two are not contradictory.

kiwitexansfan
04-13-2012, 02:13 AM
Was over at bloggingtheboys.com and they only have supportive things to say about him. Sounds more positive than we were about Demeco.

DocBar
04-13-2012, 02:17 AM
Was over at bloggingtheboys.com and they only have supportive things to say about him. Sounds more positive than we were about Demeco.Meaning that the Pies did good by letting him go
? Most were positive that the Texans were doomed in 2012 after trading Ryans.

SCOTTexans
04-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Meaning that the Pies did good by letting him go
? Most were positive that the Texans were doomed in 2012 after trading Ryans.

This is when its always good to be the glass half full kinda guy, what i have learned with the texans is you have to wait at least till the draft before i :panic:

At least i can never see the direction they are heading till the season starts

Señor Stan
04-13-2012, 08:07 AM
I like the signing and hope we draft ILB if that's the BPA at our pick. The two are not contradictory.

See the pick of JJ Watt at DE last year...yeah, I know they moved Mario to OLB but still...

Blake
04-13-2012, 08:13 AM
I heard good locker room guy. Sounds like a high character player that the Texans love. Should be a great role player on Cushing's defense.

Playoffs
04-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Sounds like he just wasn't a fit with Ryan & his schemes.

Here's his twitter fwiw: https://twitter.com/#!/bradiejamesgang

Runner
04-13-2012, 10:30 AM
...Most were positive that the Texans were doomed in 2012 after trading Ryans.

By "most" do you mean less than half the board and "doomed" do you mean less talented than last year?

Just to make the record clear:

I for one never said the Texans were "doomed". I stated that the loss of four starters would make them less competitive this year. I think they will still win the weak division but will find the playoffs tougher. In summary:

1) the Texans lost starting talent. I don't subscribe to "next man up" as a cure-all, and I can't convince myself the coaches were starting these guys even though their backups were better. (Well, except for Mario. His impact never equalled his potential).

2) whoever ends up starting, the Texans depth has been compromised. The Texans are affected by injuries every year, and a couple of injuries in the wrong areas this season could hurt this thinner team. (The Bradie James signing should help with depth).

There is a wide gulf between Super Bowl and doomed. I admit I am a bit under the middle in that spectrum, but in addition to the above, I think that assuming Schaub and Dre both contribute at a high level all season is just whistling past the graveyard.

Doomed? No. Fielding a less talented roster from top to bottom this season? Likely.

CloakNNNdagger
04-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Sounds like he just wasn't a fit with Ryan & his schemes.

Here's his twitter fwiw: https://twitter.com/#!/bradiejamesgang

He's already got the Texans logo background on his Twitter page.

badboy
04-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Hopefully we will see an upsurge from him due to wanting to show he still has skills + wants new deal next year+ Wade's scheme.

NastyNate
04-13-2012, 11:04 AM
I don't see how anyone is complaining about this. He's a cheaper demeco with the same locker room qualities and has shown equal competence in recognizing run support. He'll have the same role, same production, and less of a price tag than Meco. I welcome him with open arms.

Nate

Blake
04-13-2012, 11:29 AM
I don't see how anyone is complaining about this. He's a cheaper demeco with the same locker room qualities and has shown equal competence in recognizing run support. He'll have the same role, same production, and less of a price tag than Meco. I welcome him with open arms.

Nate

You are making alot of assumptions there my friend.

NastyNate
04-13-2012, 11:42 AM
You are making alot of assumptions there my friend.

What am I assuming? Does his body of work not speak for itself? Dude is a tackling machine, I've watched him ball, how is that assumptive?

HoustonFrog
04-13-2012, 11:52 AM
From a Cowboy fan, I really enjoyed James. He was a leader, hard worker and a great team guy. The problem was is that he got a little long in the tooth and lost a step. I know you might read that alot but he really did. After years of being a tackling machine he got caught in the wash alot where he couldn't get to the ball like he was doing before. Gettign out of traffic at times seemed harder than the past. I don't see why the system would have changed so drastically to make that happen. But the guy is a great guy for a team.

Section516
04-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Hes a dang good MLB in Wade's system, as evidenced by his career stats. Hopefully, that's the guy we get.

Blake
04-13-2012, 11:58 AM
What am I assuming? Does his body of work not speak for itself? Dude is a tackling machine, I've watched him ball, how is that assumptive?

I just feel you are minimizing DeMeco's talent because he is no longer a Texan. We also dont know if he is a locker room leader like DeMeco. We just dont know since we arent in the locker room.

But bottom line I agree that he is a good signing.

Texaninlild
04-13-2012, 12:17 PM

What is old? He is 31. Being in DFW I am subjected to a lot of Cowboys stuff, whether I like it or not. James was one of their best defenders for a while under Wade.

Mr teX
04-13-2012, 12:29 PM
What is old? He is 31. Being in DFW I am subjected to a lot of Cowboys stuff, whether I like it or not. James was one of their best defenders for a while under Wade.

the bolded says it all. I've watched enough cowboys games over the years to have noticed a bit of a drop off in his game. Read H-frog's post just above ours; it pretty much sums up my thoughts on the guy.

GP
04-13-2012, 12:41 PM
By "most" do you mean less than half the board and "doomed" do you mean less talented than last year?

Just to make the record clear:

I for one never said the Texans were "doomed". I stated that the loss of four starters would make them less competitive this year. I think they will still win the weak division but will find the playoffs tougher. In summary:

1) the Texans lost starting talent. I don't subscribe to "next man up" as a cure-all, and I can't convince myself the coaches were starting these guys even though their backups were better. (Well, except for Mario. His impact never equalled his potential).

2) whoever ends up starting, the Texans depth has been compromised. The Texans are affected by injuries every year, and a couple of injuries in the wrong areas this season could hurt this thinner team. (The Bradie James signing should help with depth).

There is a wide gulf between Super Bowl and doomed. I admit I am a bit under the middle in that spectrum, but in addition to the above, I think that assuming Schaub and Dre both contribute at a high level all season is just whistling past the graveyard.

Doomed? No. Fielding a less talented roster from top to bottom this season? Likely.

I keep trying to understand how the words "compromised" and "less talented" and "not as competitive as last year" is somehow different than "doomed."

If you feel we're compromised (in terms of depth), and we're less talented, and we won't be as competitive as last year, how is your view NOT one of doom?

To me, if those things are true...we will not win and will not be the same team we were last year. I take that to mean we won't win the AFCS and probably won't be in the playoffs either.

Where I and others come in, IMO, is that although we lost some consistently good guys (DeMeco, Brisiel, etc.) we need to understand that we had guys stashed away who m-i-g-h-t be able to plug into the offense/defense and contribute in a way that shows negligible loss of value at the end of the day. Same can be said for players we get in the draft.

Do I know 100% that these guys will provide the same effort and results as the ones who departed? No. It would be foolish to declare so. But to deem us as being less talented, compromised on depth, and less competitive in 2012 as compared to 2011 is not jibing with me. The reasons have been documented at length, in terms of what each departure took with him to his new team and conversely what we're going to add in order to replace those guys.

You state that we have a just-win-next-year-baby! situation here. You can say you're not gloomy or doomy all you want, your own words and your thread topics seem to indicate you think the front office botched several moves and allowed quality depth, quality talent, and a competitive spirit to walk away this off-season. I don't think you're excited about 2012. By the contrary, your tea leaves suggest a pre-2011 level of Texans football.

I, on the other hand, think the defense system and its leader (Wade) and the offense which is always consistently productive year in and year out under Kubiak's leadership will each be at or even above 2012 levels. I have no proof, but the departures do not alarm me in the least. Dreessen and Brisiel are the only two guys who have departed that I wished we could have kept, but I see them as borderline tier 2 guys anyways.

Not slamming you here, just cannot wrap my comprehension skills around how you get fidgety when someone says you're concerned or you're a bit worried, etc., based on the things you say here, and then you attempt to say you're not.

From what I see, you're not happy.

TexanSam
04-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Out of respect for @dryans59 I will not touch #59. I will choose another #. #BullsOnParade

https://twitter.com/#!/bradiejamesgang/status/190856879491129344

GP
04-13-2012, 12:48 PM
the bolded says it all. I've watched enough cowboys games over the years to have noticed a bit of a drop off in his game. Read H-frog's post just above ours; it pretty much sums up my thoughts on the guy.

I think there are guys who get miscast in a new d-coord's system and they play frustrated and without purpose.

For all we know, once Wade's defensive system went by the wayside Bradie James had a drop-off more in sync with being miscast and subsequently directionless on the field. That will play with your head, it'll get to you.

Sometimes a new start is needed. A fresh team, fresh leadership.

Dobbins came here as just a camp body. A lot of you guys didn't think he'd make the final roster. I and others said he SHOULD make the roster but he might not because he's well-traveled and they might go with fresh guys out of college. James could be the 2012 version of Dobbins: A guy who played for Wade previously, like Dobbins did btw, and just needed to find that groove again under the d-coord who knew how to utilize him.

That's all I got. I always think a guy can bounce back if he had success before. And he had success four straight years with really good stats in Wade's defense. Does it transfer to us, here? I dunno. But I don't think it's a lock that we get the Bradie James of the past few season either.

TejasTom
04-13-2012, 12:48 PM

Funny Thorn, about spit out my lunch...

TejasTom
04-13-2012, 12:49 PM

I like the guy already.

El Tejano
04-13-2012, 01:00 PM
From a die hard Cowboy fan I know at work (the kind that doesn't come into work if your team beat his or always brings up his team no matter what you are talking about when it comes to football):

bradie james was the 6th leader tackler all time in cowboys history, he was on pace to break it until he slowed down a few years ago
he is great in run support, no so great in pass
and he's lost a little toughness, can't stay on the field all game anymore
but he's smart and i would call him a leader

i think he'll do well also, and i would try to find a way to get him in the game on 1st and long or 3rd and short, plays well in the box

CretorFrigg
04-13-2012, 01:05 PM
From a die hard Cowboy fan I know at work (the kind that doesn't come into work if your team beat his or always brings up his team no matter what you are talking about when it comes to football):

bradie james was the 6th leader tackler all time in cowboys history, he was on pace to break it until he slowed down a few years ago

i think he'll do well also, and i would try to find a way to get him in the game on 1st and long or 3rd and short, plays well in the box

So...Demeco Ryans light?

El Tejano
04-13-2012, 01:28 PM
So...Demeco Ryans light?

Demeco Ryans Older

Rey
04-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Demeco Ryans Older

Demeco Ryans cheaper.

Dutchrudder
04-13-2012, 01:42 PM

That is just wrong. Here are his career stats from epsn:

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Charts%20and%20Graphs/bradiejamesstats.jpg

You can clearly see the dropoff in production occurred last year after Rob Ryan took over and Wade was gone. Sean Lee became one of the starting ILBs for the Cowboys, while Brooking and James shared the other ILB spot for the most part. I can't find stats on the number of snaps played by James, but I believe his number went down quite a bit last year. I don't think James was that much worse last year, but he wasn't on the field enough to get 100 tackles like he did the previous 5 years. Sean Lee on the other hand became the Cowboys 3-down ILB and had over 100 tackles last year.

Give him a chance, I'm sure he will show up in run defense like he always has for the Cowboys. We primarily used Demeco for that role, so getting James at vet minimum to fill that spot makes a lot of sense, even if he's only a 2-down LB. I trust Wade knows how to use him and will get the most out of him.

SCOTTexans
04-13-2012, 02:05 PM
That is just wrong. Here are his career stats from epsn:

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Charts%20and%20Graphs/bradiejamesstats.jpg

You can clearly see the dropoff in production occurred last year after Rob Ryan took over and Wade was gone. Sean Lee became one of the starting ILBs for the Cowboys, while Brooking and James shared the other ILB spot for the most part. I can't find stats on the number of snaps played by James, but I believe his number went down quite a bit last year. I don't think James was that much worse last year, but he wasn't on the field enough to get 100 tackles like he did the previous 5 years. Sean Lee on the other hand became the Cowboys 3-down ILB and had over 100 tackles last year.

Give him a chance, I'm sure he will show up in run defense like he always has for the Cowboys. We primarily used Demeco for that role, so getting James at vet minimum to fill that spot makes a lot of sense, even if he's only a 2-down LB. I trust Wade knows how to use him and will get the most out of him.

:goodpost:

I can't add anything else that hasn't already been said.... It was a good pick-up and hopefully being back in Wade's D will rekindle his play

badboy
04-13-2012, 02:13 PM
A few more days for these types of moves allowing me to change my mock. WHo be next? A vet QB? WR? TE? RB? FB? I'm still excited.

HOU-TEX
04-13-2012, 02:17 PM

Hmm, that appears to leave #'s 52 and 53 as the remaining numbers currently available in the 50's. I think the only other numbers LB's can take are 90-99. The only one's available are 90 and 93.

So which one will he choose? You have a 25% chance to get it right.

I'm going with 52

Dutchrudder
04-13-2012, 02:24 PM
A few more days for these types of moves allowing me to change my mock. WHo be next? A vet QB? WR? TE? RB? FB? I'm still excited.

I'm kinda hoping their next signing is Jake Delhomme for vet minimum to be QB 3. Can always pick up a QB in UDFA and put him on the practice squad.

Premier
04-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Hmm, that appears to leave #'s 52 and 53 as the remaining numbers currently available in the 50's. I think the only other numbers LB's can take are 90-99. The only one's available are 90 and 93.

I'm going with 52

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/IMG_0573-800x600.jpg

The Medic01
04-13-2012, 02:27 PM

I'm going with 52

Dobbins is 52

HOU-TEX
04-13-2012, 02:34 PM
http://www.stateofthetexans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/IMG_0573-800x600.jpg

Ha, should've know that. I went directly from the roster page at HT.com. They obviously haven't updated. Thanks

Sooo, I guess it'll be 53. Until someone's cut anyway

Blake
04-13-2012, 02:48 PM
I think he takes 53 for now.

NastyNate
04-13-2012, 03:02 PM

Like the same dropoff as Demeco's stats? Look at both of their tackle numbers from the last 5 years, significant dropoff when Ryan took over in Dallas, significant dropoff when Phillips took over in Houston. It's the system both were put into, James will be fine.

Runner
04-13-2012, 03:08 PM
I keep trying to understand how the words "compromised" and "less talented" and "not as competitive as last year" is somehow different than "doomed."

I really don't think it is so hard to understand if one tries to understand what I'm saying rather than interpret it in a way to make it sound stupid or easy to argue against. I'll try some examples.

Doomed: a 3-12 season
Not as good as last year: a 9-7 season

Doomed: come in third in the division
Not as good as last year: win the division and lose the wild card game

IMO, if someone characterizes winning the division and losing the wild card game as "doomed", then in comparison I'm the glass half full optimist.

GP
04-13-2012, 05:21 PM
I really don't think it is so hard to understand if one tries to understand what I'm saying rather than interpret it in a way to make it sound stupid or easy to argue against. I'll try some examples.

Doomed: a 3-12 season
Not as good as last year: a 9-7 season

Doomed: come in third in the division
Not as good as last year: win the division and lose the wild card game

IMO, if someone characterizes winning the division and losing the wild card game as "doomed", then in comparison I'm the glass half full optimist.

Ok, now I see what your definitions are.

"Not as good as last year: win the division and lose the wold card game."

This is where I think the crux of the topic is. Is it necessarily a failure to lose a wild card game? It's possible to lose the opening playoff game and still have been as good as we were last year, IMO.

What if the only reason we lost the next playoff game in 2013 was due to a bad ref call or a fluke Jacoby'ish play? Does that mean we weren't as good as we were in 2011? Or does it mean we're still at the same level and not really making the jump to Top 3 or Top 4 team status yet? To me, there's a difference there in the two.

Signing Dobbins and James is a clue that we're valuing talent as long as it's priced within our means (for purposes of keeping the tier 1 guys like Brown and Cushing) AND that the talent has on-field production. We replaced Ryans with James and it appears to be a sound football move since the guy had phenomenal years 4 years straight with Wade as d-coord.

Runner
04-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Ok, now I see what your definitions are.

"Not as good as last year: win the division and lose the wold card game."

This is where I think the crux of the topic is. Is it necessarily a failure to lose a wild card game? It's possible to lose the opening playoff game and still have been as good as we were last year, IMO.

What if the only reason we lost the next playoff game in 2013 was due to a bad ref call or a fluke Jacoby'ish play? Does that mean we weren't as good as we were in 2011? Or does it mean we're still at the same level and not really making the jump to Top 3 or Top 4 team status yet? To me, there's a difference there in the two.

Signing Dobbins and James is a clue that we're valuing talent as long as it's priced within our means (for purposes of keeping the tier 1 guys like Brown and Cushing) AND that the talent has on-field production. We replaced Ryans with James and it appears to be a sound football move since the guy had phenomenal years 4 years straight with Wade as d-coord.

What if what if what if.

How about the simple answer, what if they lose because they've slipped some in talent and depth because of salary cap issues? That's what has happened so far, next man up jingoism and assume a strong draft aside.

I contend the team did not lose those players because they were unneeded, but because they were deemed the most expendable to meet the cap. I assume if Kubes had his way he'd rather still have some of those players; the realities of the cap made that impossible.

Spinning these moves to show the team is more talented without them makes no sense to me. They are gone because the Texans couldn't afford them, not because they weren't important to the team.

I think I answered your original question, basically why do I bristle when people say I think the team sucks now. I've never said they sucked and are doomed. I've said they've lost talent. They have, or Kubes was a poor coach last year playing those guys when the backups are so clearly superior. Further, if he was starting these guys ahead of better players, that wouldn't bode well for his identifying better replacements in the draft or through other means.

WolverineFan
04-13-2012, 10:04 PM
I can't see how people are upset about this signing. He's a two-down LB just like DeMeco was last year. Cushing is the stud who's going to be on the field all the time, we just needed another guy to come in and compete with Sharpton for the other spot.

I think most of this stems from the fact that people do not think Sharpton is of starter quality and this takes ILB off the draft agenda (as if a 3rd or 4th rounder is a better option than Sharpton somehow).

GP
04-13-2012, 10:15 PM
What if what if what if?????

You're doing the same thing! LOL.

Obviously, runner, you have more knowledge than me. I'm clearly outmatched.

Your only basis is that we lost guys and that equals all this speculative stuff you repeat over and over as if it's going to happen just because we lost some guys.

Yes, let's forget we re-signed Dobbins. Yes, let's forget we signed James. Let's piss and moan about losing the All Mighty DeMeco Ryans.

Yes, let's forget Shelley Smith. Let's forget Rashard Butler. Mike Briesel and Eric Winston held our Super Bowl chances in the palm of their hands and we effed up, royally, by letting them get away.

Come on, man. Just admit that you're hell bent for leather to be proven right about your theory.

I'd rather be happy about the prospects of us continuing what we started in 2011 than finding ways to forget it and create despair....over a few guys named Winston and Briesel.

You have ZERO substantiated claims to back up your speculation. Until we suck, why the rampant campaign to convince us that we WILL suck???

It's as if juuuust because a few guys went to different teams....we are less than we were before. Amazing.

And another thing: Shelley Smith had an injury that shelved him for awhile. Butler was i.r.'d after the second week. LeStar Jean i.r.'d in preseason. Roc Carmichael too, IIRC. We've got a list of guys who were clearly capable but injured. Throw in Caldwell whom CnD states was playing with two high ankle sprains.

Furthermore, in an attempt to answer your question: Why didn't Kubiak play them over Winston and Brisiel? Well, why does he play Jacoby when Jacoby sucks so badly? Why does he continue to let JJ handle punts all game long after blowing the punt that eventually was the difference making boneheaded play in the Ravens game? Because Kubiak has loyalties. To a fault.

But his "let the seniors play and freshmen you'll get your shot in a couple of years" mindset doesn't mean the Shelley Smiths or Butlers etc. are lesser guys. He's always done this. Outside of our first rounders...very few Kubiak draft picks take over in year one OR even in year two. It's how he works.

I hope Butler and Co. kick ass and take names because I'm bookmarking this topic for discussion about week 6 or 7.

Runner
04-14-2012, 02:17 AM
Great. Fall back to claiming I say the Texans will suck. Keep arguing against that straw man, you certainly aren't addressing anything I've said.

drunkcookie
04-14-2012, 08:08 AM
What if what if what if.

How about the simple answer, what if they lose because they've slipped some in talent and depth because of salary cap issues? That's what has happened so far, next man up jingoism and assume a strong draft aside.

Then that would suck?

I contend the team did not lose those players because they were unneeded, but because they were deemed the most expendable to meet the cap. I assume if Kubes had his way he'd rather still have some of those players; the realities of the cap made that impossible.

I agree

Spinning these moves to show the team is more talented without them makes no sense to me. They are gone because the Texans couldn't afford them, not because they weren't important to the team. .

I don't recall many of us "spinning" these moves and saying we're more talented now..that would be a pretty bold statement... I have seen a lot of "i think we'll be fine", however..

Further, if he was starting these guys ahead of better players, that wouldn't bode well for his identifying better replacements in the draft or through other means.

You have to develope talent for situations just like this, with a FA signing every now and then...it's a rotating door... One player steps up, does good, asks for more money and boom, next guy's turn... It's how every good team in the NFL operates..

You don't pay 3/5 of your offensive line top 5 money each and expect to be able to pay for the best running back in the league... And next year it would make that four OLs making top 5 with Brown: not possible if you want really good players at other positions...

It's April...in January we'll know 100% whether or not Smithiak identified and developed replacements well... This isn't a failure, yet...

CloakNNNdagger
04-14-2012, 08:09 AM
http://www.utc.edu/Administration/DepartmentOfPublicSafety/images/AnimatedLostFound.gif

This is where I think we have a very good chance of fulfulling many of our needs this year.......from the list of players that were lost to us for last season.

Lucky
04-14-2012, 09:22 AM
I stated that the loss of four starters would make them less competitive this year. I think they will still win the weak division but will find the playoffs tougher.
I think you also have to evaluate the teams that will/should be the playoff competition. These teams were not static in the offseason, either.

The Steelers lost a starting DE, ILB, CB, and LT. Their starting RB and NT are expected to begin the season on the PUP list. Now maybe the Steelers are prepared to re-load and be just as good or better. But, that remains to be seen.

The Ravens lost their best offensive lineman (G Ben Grubbs), as well as starting DT and OLB. They will have younger players as replacements. Better than the previous starters? TBD.

Thje Patriots did pickup a solid WR in Brandon Floyd. And they picked up a few other low priced vets to compete. But, they lost their starting RB, leading pass rusher, and possibly their long time starting LT.

The Broncos lost their emotional leader in Tim Tebow and replaced him with...OK, that may be a bad example.

Basically, the Texans are in a similar situation as many of the other AFC playoff contenders. Hopeful that the moves they made will allow them to stay in contention. Do the Texans have the track record of reloading that Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and New England have? No. Which is why their moves deserve more scrutiny and pessimism. But, their issues with personnel turnover are shared with other AFC playoff teams.

GP
04-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Great. Fall back to claiming I say the Texans will suck. Keep arguing against that straw man, you certainly aren't addressing anything I've said.

Oh. I thought by posting this (below) I was answering your question. Your question was something about "Why didn't backups overtake starters last year if the backups are so good?" (paraphrasing).

Here was my answer, is not good enough?

And another thing: Shelley Smith had an injury that shelved him for awhile. Butler was i.r.'d after the second week. LeStar Jean i.r.'d in preseason. Roc Carmichael too, IIRC. We've got a list of guys who were clearly capable but injured. Throw in Caldwell whom CnD states was playing with two high ankle sprains.

Furthermore, in an attempt to answer your question: Why didn't Kubiak play them over Winston and Brisiel? Well, why does he play Jacoby when Jacoby sucks so badly? Why does he continue to let JJ handle punts all game long after blowing the punt that eventually was the difference making boneheaded play in the Ravens game? Because Kubiak has loyalties. To a fault.

But his "let the seniors play and freshmen you'll get your shot in a couple of years" mindset doesn't mean the Shelley Smiths or Butlers etc. are lesser guys. He's always done this. Outside of our first rounders...very few Kubiak draft picks take over in year one OR even in year two. It's how he works.

I'm not straw man'ing you. Taking your points to task is not straw man'ing you. It's answering with potential solutions/answers to the discussion topics.

Carr Bombed
04-14-2012, 02:04 PM
I think I answered your original question, basically why do I bristle when people say I think the team sucks now. I've never said they sucked and are doomed. I've said they've lost talent. They have, or Kubes was a poor coach last year playing those guys when the backups are so clearly superior. Further, if he was starting these guys ahead of better players, that wouldn't bode well for his identifying better replacements in the draft or through other means.

LOL, are you talking about the same guy who needed almost a entire season to "identify" that he had the league's best running back riding the pine behind a incompetent Steve Slaton and a broke down Ahman Green? GP is right, Kubiak is loyal to a fault and outside of high draft picks, he has a tough time trusting young players.

Umm, how exactly was Butler supposed to play ahead of Winston last season?

How was Roc Carmichael supposed to compete with Jason Allen last season?

How was Daryl Sharpton (who was already stealing playing time from DeMeco Ryans before his injury) supposed to supplant DeMeco Ryans?

The reason why people think you're being chicken little is because you act like what the Texans had to do was something unique only to them... it's not. This is what happens in the NFL. You have to plan for the future and be able to see ahead and recognize what players you'll be able to keep and which ones you'll have to part with, then you have to develop replacements behind the players you'll eventually lose... We've done that. (For instance... here's a bold prediction, I think this upcoming season will be Owen Daniels last season as a Texan, we're going to be pressed against the cap again next offseason and more tough cuts will have to be made.)

I'm comfortable with Bulter taking Winston's spot.

More than comfortable with Sharpton competing with James for DeMeco's position and the depth that develops from whoever loses out. DeMeco was a liability last season.. and HIGHLY overpaid in Wade's scheme, he had to go.

Caldwell replacing Brisiel is really the only thing that I'm worried about, but I expect us to draft OLineman in this upcoming draft as well as sign a few FAs.

Dreesen was more than replaceable, and saying that is not me thinking he was a bad player. This is just a TE friendly system and I think Garrett Graham will more than fill that role.

Where these losses really hit us are not in the starting positions, it was in our depth and backups.. That's the area that we need to address (and signing Bradie James is a great start) in the draft and during the rest of the offseason.

Goldensilence
04-15-2012, 07:32 PM
I don't want to put words in Runner's mouth, but I think what he's getting at is we've lost known talented starters on this team: Winston, Brisiel, Ryans, and Williams. Though I tend to agree with his view on Mario, I just don't think the team really got what it envisioned when they drafted him with the physical measurements.

The guys we have replacing those guys, James now aside, we don't have much to go on.

This really is a watershed year for Gary and Rick far as finally getting to the top of the division, losing some good talent, and having the players behind them to keep the momentum going.

This is where we see if Gary and the staff HE assembled can coach up players and have a system in place to maximize their abilities.

El Tejano
04-16-2012, 10:37 AM
I don't want to put words in Runner's mouth, but I think what he's getting at is we've lost known talented starters on this team: Winston, Brisiel, Ryans, and Williams. Though I tend to agree with his view on Mario, I just don't think the team really got what it envisioned when they drafted him with the physical measurements.

The guys we have replacing those guys, James now aside, we don't have much to go on.

This really is a watershed year for Gary and Rick far as finally getting to the top of the division, losing some good talent, and having the players behind them to keep the momentum going.

This is where we see if Gary and the staff HE assembled can coach up players and have a system in place to maximize their abilities.

Doesn't Kubiak get credit for not cutting Foster though?

2slik4u
04-16-2012, 10:46 AM
I think the biggest asset of the James signing is his leadership qualities and locker room presence. Supposedly he was the "Demeco" of the Dallas defense in the way he was able to rally the troops and get them amped up.

The loss of Demeco's presence was/will be missed but maybe a veteran like James can make the transition easier until a younger guy can step up and take on that role.

Im sure he was signed to a minimum deal so I definately like the signing.

Goldensilence
04-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Doesn't Kubiak get credit for not cutting Foster though?

I am not quite sure I understand the question or the logic behind it.

Foster was signed to a two year deal as a UDFA, meaning we pursued Foster pretty heavily considering most teams offered one year deals. We also had a really weak backfield at the time too, and that also likely played a factor into Foster opting to come here as well. Prior to his senior season he also had a second round draft grade.

If he "gets credit for not cutting him" does he "get blame for waiting so long to get him into the lineup regularly?"

The Pencil Neck
04-17-2012, 11:52 PM
I am not quite sure I understand the question or the logic behind it.

Foster was signed to a two year deal as a UDFA, meaning we pursued Foster pretty heavily considering most teams offered one year deals. We also had a really weak backfield at the time too, and that also likely played a factor into Foster opting to come here as well. Prior to his senior season he also had a second round draft grade.

If he "gets credit for not cutting him" does he "get blame for waiting so long to get him into the lineup regularly?"

I don't get it.

Foster himself has stated that he wasn't ready. He came into camp with a bad mind-set because he hadn't been drafted. He did not do the things in camp that he should have and he wasn't ready to be on the field. Then when he got cut and PSd, he gave up.

It wasn't until he was watching a MNF game and the announcer mentioned that one of the guys playing had been called up from the practice squad that Foster realized that he wasn't done for the year. That's when he turned it around and started busting his ass.

There's no way Kubiak should have just given Foster a spot on the team if he wasn't ready to play. And he wasn't.

So we're blaming Kubiak for not playing a guy who wasn't ready to play? And we're not giving any credit to Kubiak for sticking with a kid with an attitude problem and working him through it and helping him turn into the gem we have today?

Lots of teams would have just kicked him to the curb and been done with it.

Dutchrudder
04-18-2012, 12:13 AM
I don't get it.

Foster himself has stated that he wasn't ready. He came into camp with a bad mind-set because he hadn't been drafted. He did not do the things in camp that he should have and he wasn't ready to be on the field. Then when he got cut and PSd, he gave up.

It wasn't until he was watching a MNF game and the announcer mentioned that one of the guys playing had been called up from the practice squad that Foster realized that he wasn't done for the year. That's when he turned it around and started busting his ass.

There's no way Kubiak should have just given Foster a spot on the team if he wasn't ready to play. And he wasn't.

So we're blaming Kubiak for not playing a guy who wasn't ready to play? And we're not giving any credit to Kubiak for sticking with a kid with an attitude problem and working him through it and helping him turn into the gem we have today?

Lots of teams would have just kicked him to the curb and been done with it.

What year was this? I recall him having an injury during his first year that kept him from playing or being called up from p-squad. I think that had more to do with him not getting a chance for some time than motivation or preparation.

The Pencil Neck
04-18-2012, 01:40 AM
What year was this? I recall him having an injury during his first year that kept him from playing or being called up from p-squad. I think that had more to do with him not getting a chance for some time than motivation or preparation.

It was a domino effect.

The injury was prior to the Combine. He tweaked his hamstring during his senior year and he wasn't totally healed by the Combine. People advised him not to run but he felt he had to do it. That's why he ran such a slow time and one of the big reasons why he fell off so many draft boards. Cause that man is not slow on game day.

From what he said, he was still kinda sulking about that in training camp and that's what led to the lack of motivation. The hamstring might have still been bothering him in TC, too. But I don't recall that being mentioned. I tried looking on NFL.com but they don't have the stats from the 2009 pre-season.

The guy who got injured bad that year was Jeremiah Johnson. He looked like he was going to be a great fit in the team, iirc, in preseason and then got injured and that was it. We had been psyched to get both Foster and Johnson after the draft (after being so pissed off that they didn't draft a RB) and then both guys looked pretty good in the preseason but neither one made the 53-man roster.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.

GP
04-18-2012, 10:01 AM
It was a domino effect.

The injury was prior to the Combine. He tweaked his hamstring during his senior year and he wasn't totally healed by the Combine. People advised him not to run but he felt he had to do it. That's why he ran such a slow time and one of the big reasons why he fell off so many draft boards. Cause that man is not slow on game day.

From what he said, he was still kinda sulking about that in training camp and that's what led to the lack of motivation. The hamstring might have still been bothering him in TC, too. But I don't recall that being mentioned. I tried looking on NFL.com but they don't have the stats from the 2009 pre-season.

The guy who got injured bad that year was Jeremiah Johnson. He looked like he was going to be a great fit in the team, iirc, in preseason and then got injured and that was it. We had been psyched to get both Foster and Johnson after the draft (after being so pissed off that they didn't draft a RB) and then both guys looked pretty good in the preseason but neither one made the 53-man roster.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I think Foster was called up from the PS toward the end of the 2009 season. I remember a late-season game, at home, where he had several quality rushes and ended with decent yardage. It was a glimpse of what happened next year in 2010 when Foster blew up huge.

Then, people thought maybe he was a 1-year wonder...but he came back in 2011 for his second "full" season and proved he was legitimate.

2009 was a rough year. The run game was awful. The year prior, 2008 was Steve Slaton's rookie year and was his ONLY good year. All of 2009, though, Slaton's sophomore year with us, he was atrocious. The run game was bad. So at the end of the year, I think Steve had suffered an injury and they called up Foster toward the end of the year and that's the beginning of Arian Foster. 2010 was the year I think Slaton was largely absent due to neck issues. Then in 2011 he was special teams and maybe a 3rd down guy a minimal amount of time.

I think that's right. I have doubts about my recollection of Slaton's 2010 season. But am thinking Foster was THE main RB in 2010 and Slaton was largely absent most of that 2010 season. Wait, I think Slaton started as the main RB in 2010 but then Foster took over rather quickly. Aw hell, I cannot remember.

Mr teX
04-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Looking at their carries for the respective years and trying to recall things i think it played out like this:

Foster played pretty well in the last 2 games of 2009 & he wound up starting the last game that year against NE and had an awesome game; something like 120 yds & 2 TDs. This was made possible b/c Slaton finally had succumbed to that pinched nerve he had in his neck pretty much all of that year & kubes finally sat him for the rest of the season. This prompted the FO to draft Tate in the 2nd round in 2010 to compete with Slaton and Foster for the starting job....Ward would come aboard later after Tate broke his leg that preseason. Foster won the job outright of course.

In 2010, Foster blows up against Indy establishing himself as the man, Slaton wound up getting hurt again later that season, this time i think it was a shoulder or something like that, but some on here speculated that he was still unhealthly from that pinched nerve in his neck. I remember it pretty well b/c folks on here talking about his vision being terrible that year. However, the biggest reason he wound up the 3rd guy in the rotation that year was b/c he had a bad case of fumbleitis.....& we all know how much kubes hates that. How can anyone forget that. Also, Ward had shown he still had a little left in the tank (KC & OAK games).

by the time 2011 rolled around Tate was healthy, Ward still had a role & Slaton was the odd man out. Still, the FO gave him 1 last shot to be a contributor to the team by putting him on KO returns & he sucked big time.

The Pencil Neck
04-18-2012, 12:58 PM
OK.

2008 -- Great rookie season for Slaton. But we all knew we needed another RB to pair him with.

2009 -- No RB's drafted but Foster & Jeremiah Johnson come in as UDFAs and we get the infamous Chris Brown from the Titans as our #2. Slaton goes to hell, fumbling all over the place. At the end of the season, Foster comes off the PS and has three GREAT games.

2010 -- Not sure what we have with Slaton or Foster, we draft Tate who immediately goes on IR. They try Slaton returning kicks and it's a disaster (Remember when he stepped out at the 2 on a kickoff?) Foster grows into the beast.

2011 -- Foster has hamstring injuries again. Tate blossoms in his first chance to play. Slaton is let go after 3 or 4 games and is picked up by the Dolphins. The Foster/Tate duo becomes one of the best tandems in the league.

2012 -- Championship.

ChampionTexan
05-22-2012, 02:08 PM
Apparently Reggie Herring feels pretty good about the signing
"I don't mind throwing it on the table, we're pretty pleased with picking Bradie (James) up, because we feel like we gained back what we lost with DeMeco leaving, and then some to be honest with you," Texans linebackers Reggie Herring coach said Tuesday.
LINK (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829431a0/article/bradie-james-replaces-demeco-ryans-and-then-some?campaign=Twitter_atl)
Please note that the article goes on to say the a Texans PR staffer ended the interview after the comment was made.

welsh texan
05-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Quite an inflammatory comment from the coach there, I wonder if he was referring more to 'within the scheme' than in terms of overall ability, because given James' age and taking salary out of the equation, most would have Demeco over him in a flash, even those who are comfortable with the move all things considered.

Playoffs
05-22-2012, 02:41 PM
... I wonder if he was referring more to 'within the scheme'...
Yes, of course. Ryan's wasn't a scheme fit. James apparently is.

Rey
05-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Quite an inflammatory comment from the coach there, I wonder if he was referring more to 'within the scheme' than in terms of overall ability, because given James' age and taking salary out of the equation, most would have Demeco over him in a flash, even those who are comfortable with the move all things considered.

Sounds like he was just saying that he thinks James is going to be a better player for them.

When you use a phrase like "I don't mind throwing it out on the table" and "to be honest" it sounds like you are just flat out saying you think James is/will be better.

And then: (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829431a0/article/bradie-james-replaces-demeco-ryans-and-then-some?module=HP11_headline_stack)

We saw video of a Texans public relations staffer promptly ending the interview while yanking Herring away after he made that statement. (UPDATE: The Texans contacted ATL and said Herring was late for a meeting.)

The comment just doesn't sound friendly and apparently the public relations person didn't think so either. Read the entire article. Herring loves him some Bradie James and doesn't sound like he misses Demeco at all.

G27RR
05-22-2012, 03:41 PM
( on his first impressions of ILB Bradie James now that he's on the field) "A leader. You can tell he's been a leader of a group before. He's very much under control with the defense. Fit right in with the group real quick. He's been there every day. That's what we asked of him. He's come in and been everything (defensive coordinator) Wade (Phillips) and (linebackers coach) Reggie (Herring) said he would be."
Kubiak on day 2 of OTAs ..from Texan' website

srrono
05-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Kubiak on day 2 of OTAs ..from Texan' website

Capt Obvious says James will be starter.

GP
05-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Ewwww....Coach Herring, seriously...wth?

This is where the Texans PR guy needs to have a pre-meeting with a coach before the coach gives an interview. "OK, so look...obviously, we have to keep it clean when talking about past players AND their new replacements. Got it? Think before you answer. Don't compare. Don't exaggerate. Think before you answer."

Instead, Coach Herring goes off half-cocked and misspoke about Ryans vs. James. I mean, it was a bad gaffe. Bad. Not something that is devastating of course, but it's bad.

Sheesh.

pec0sb0b
05-22-2012, 04:47 PM
I think Phillips and Herring were thrilled when James was released by Dallas. It allowed them to trade Ryans for a mid-third round pick* and they got a replacement for nothing. I also think Herring is someone you might want to keep away from the microphone. It makes me wonder if any other Dallas players are on Phillips' radar (CB Mike Jenkins).

*you do the math...selection #99 and moved up from #89 to #76 = #85.
http://www.drafttek.com/tradechart.html

Rey
05-22-2012, 04:49 PM
I think Phillips and Herring were thrilled when James was released by Dallas. It allowed them to trade Ryans for a mid-third round pick* and they got a replacement for nothing. I also think Herring is someone you might want to keep away from the microphone. It makes me wonder if any other Dallas players are on Phillips' radar (CB Mike Jenkins).

*you do the math...selection #99 and moved up from #89 to #76 = #85.
http://www.drafttek.com/tradechart.html

How much is Jenkins making?

If we could get him at a bargain I'd be all over that.

GP
05-22-2012, 04:50 PM
I also think Herring is someone you might want to keep away from the microphone.

This ^^^^. LOL.

"And while I'm at it, let me tell you what I REALLY think about some other guys we kicked to the curb..." +1 to the Texans PR guy who pulled Reggie Herring away for that "meeting" he was late for. LOL.

GP
05-22-2012, 04:51 PM

I have to admit, when I saw the news...I was thinking "Another guy for Wade."

I admit it.

Rey
05-22-2012, 05:00 PM
I have to admit, when I saw the news...I was thinking "Another guy for Wade."

I admit it.

Yeah, he's not showing up for practice and has asked to be traded...

It would make some sense from a football standpoint...I just don't know if it makes sense financially...I have no idea what Jenkins contract is like...

grinch1134
05-22-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't have a problem with what Rick said. In fact, I would be instead pissed if he said Demeco could not be replaced. Again, much better than leaving everyone with the feeling that we settled for James.

BTW. "We saw video of a Texans public relations staffer promptly ending the interview while yanking Herring away after he made that statement. (UPDATE: The Texans contacted ATL and said Herring was late for a meeting.)"

burro
05-22-2012, 05:20 PM
What is Herring supposed to say? "Ehhh...he's okay. No Demeco Ryans, though..."

I'm glad he has confidence that the swap will be an overall positive for the Texans.

srrono
05-22-2012, 05:20 PM

7/26/2008: Signed a five-year, $9.725 million contract. The deal contains $6.75 million guaranteed, including a $3.1 million signing bonus. 2012: $1.052 million, 2013: Free Agent

this is according to Rotoworld

GP
05-22-2012, 05:25 PM
What is Herring supposed to say? "Ehhh...he's okay. No Demeco Ryans, though..."

I'm glad he has confidence that the swap will be an overall positive for the Texans.

From a P.R. standpoint, there is about a billion other things he could have said.

All he had to do was just make it about Bradie James. The instant you mention the former player, it goes south in a hurry...even when using very nice phrases about the former player.

I think the plan is for him to be DeMeco version 2.0, but coming out and saying he'll be better...when camp hasn't even started, let alone a real game, it's pretty brash to say that (considering DeMeco's value here). Feathers get ruffled, and as far as I know...DeMeco has not ruffled any feathers--So he deserves to have that repaid to him by Texans coaches.

Now if they want to say stuff about Mario? Fine by me. Fair game.

pec0sb0b
05-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Yeah, he's not showing up for practice and has asked to be traded...

It would make some sense from a football standpoint...I just don't know if it makes sense financially...I have no idea what Jenkins contract is like...

I read the Cowboys' plan may be to use him a #4 CB this year and let him walk when his contract expires next season, but they might decide to move him for a 4th or 5th when it's time to make cuts.

EllisUnit
05-22-2012, 08:09 PM
From a P.R. standpoint, there is about a billion other things he could have said.

All he had to do was just make it about Bradie James. The instant you mention the former player, it goes south in a hurry...even when using very nice phrases about the former player.

I think the plan is for him to be DeMeco version 2.0, but coming out and saying he'll be better...when camp hasn't even started, let alone a real game, it's pretty brash to say that (considering DeMeco's value here). Feathers get ruffled, and as far as I know...DeMeco has not ruffled any feathers--So he deserves to have that repaid to him by Texans coaches.

Now if they want to say stuff about Mario? Fine by me. Fair game.

there was an article a while back where demeco said a few negative things about the texans/houston.

Dont bother me, the talking heads will talk, the pussys will squalk, and then theres idiots like marshall faulk.

PapaL
05-22-2012, 08:41 PM
It's the offseason. No real story there. DeMeco was great when healthy but he's not a part of this team anymore. I'll gladly root for him because of his history but MEH. If he really wanted to be here he would've restructured and make it known he wanted to be here.

My 2¢

Texecutioner
05-22-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure why to many people were unhappy with this move. I think James was a very good signing. I was one of the ones that didn't like losing Demeco for what we got for him, but I do like who we have replaced him with. He knows our system well and is comfortable in a leadership role. James can be a hot head, but he is all about winning so I like what he brings to this team.

Lucky
05-22-2012, 10:42 PM
The comment just doesn't sound friendly and apparently the public relations person didn't think so either. Read the entire article. Herring loves him some Bradie James and doesn't sound like he misses Demeco at all.

Instead, Coach Herring goes off half-cocked and misspoke about Ryans vs. James. I mean, it was a bad gaffe. Bad. Not something that is devastating of course, but it's bad.

Sheesh.
Did you guys watch the video? Herring was in no way derogatory towards Ryans. Of course James knows the system better than anyone on the Texans. He started in the system for 4 seasons. Sheesh.

Picking up James for the vet minimum will prove to be the best move this offseason.

drs23
05-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Did you guys watch the video? Herring was in no way derogatory towards Ryans. Of course James knows the system better than anyone on the Texans. He started in the system for 4 seasons. Sheesh.

Picking up James for the vet minimum will prove to be the best move this offseason.

Thank you.

MSR

GP
05-22-2012, 11:57 PM

"I don't mind throwing it on the table, we're pretty pleased with picking Bradie (James) up, because we feel like we gained back what we lost with DeMeco leaving, and then some to be honest with you," Texans linebackers Reggie Herring coach said Tuesday.

When Herring says they (a) gained back what they lost in DeMeco, and (b) then some...how. in. the. hell is that not a slap to DeMeco??? LOL.

You had me going there for a second. I almost fell for it. But luckily, Lucky, I was able to re-read the QUOTE and, sure enough, it turns out that Coach Herring made a bit of a gaffe.

Then Herring is whisked away by someone who understands P.R. better than Reggie Herring does.

GP
05-23-2012, 12:02 AM
I have to wonder if people think my criticism of Herring is an indirect shot at the Texans for having traded Ryans away to the Eagles.

Look, this cat is PLEASED as punch that we traded DeMeco for an extra 4th and a move up in the 3rd. I am more than fine with a Wade Phillips guy (Bradie James) standing in that gap for us.

But still, there's a bit of honor that needs to be maintained here. If Herring wasn't dissing DeMeco then I guess I need to re-think what the term "dissing" means. He basically said "We ain't gonna' miss DeMeco one bit" and ya' know, it's just better to think those things and not say them out loud. /rant

aussie_texan
05-23-2012, 02:21 AM
im gonna give herring a big :clap:

ryans isnt on the team anymore.
he was a fantastic player and great person for the team and organisation but his in philly now.

i will always expect our staff, coaches and FO to stick up for the players we have now.
It wasn't a slap in the face to ryans IMO but thats me.

Sounds like James has been preparing well of the off-season and has started with a bang in OTAs so I'm all for herring boosting him up and giving confidence to the group.

The defence and team as a hole must and will step up without ryans!!!

Lucky
05-23-2012, 06:28 AM
You had me going there for a second. I almost fell for it. But luckily, Lucky, I was able to re-read the QUOTE and, sure enough, it turns out that Coach Herring made a bit of a gaffe.

Then Herring is whisked away by someone who understands P.R. better than Reggie Herring does.
No one who watched the video would come away with that impression. Especially, the notion that the Texan flunky would "whisk away" Herring due to his comments.

You see people often use the term "taken out of context" to explain away a comment. This is a perfect example of taking a quote out of context. Herring was giving props to his new player. Not slamming his former player, or justifying the trade. Heering compared James' ability to Ryans'. If he's slamming Ryans' ability, then he's doing the same to James. Then, he points out that James has more experience in the defense than any other Texan LB. Which is a fact. The comments were directed to James' ability, and had zip to do with Ryans' inability.

Rey
05-23-2012, 06:56 AM

Um, yeah. I watched the video.

And I stand by my comment you quoted.

Doesn't sound like herring misses Demeco at all and he loves bradie James.

I tend to take peoples words at face value when they seem to be discussing things candidly.

If I get a new gf and I say that I regained everything I lost and then some I'm saying my new gf is better than my old one.

I didn't say he was going out his way to slam Demeco. What I said was that he loves James and doesn't seem to miss Demeco at all. Do you disagree with that?

TejasTom
05-23-2012, 07:10 AM

MSR

Got him for you.

I am a DeMeco fan, the first defensive player jersey I bought was #59.

I am OK with coaches praising current players over previous players.

drunkcookie
05-23-2012, 08:22 AM
We always want our coaches to be honest and shoot straight with us, but when one actually does a bunch of booties get hurt...

I guess Herring should have gone with the Kubiak approach.. "Well any time you lose a player the caliber of DeMeco, a leader and a great player in this league, you're gunna have a hard time replacing that, so someone's gunna have to come up big for us back there..."

And where is the "shot" at 'Meco? Hell, i don't even think he was complimenting James, i just think he believes what he said...

I love 'Meco as much as the next Texans fan, but if the LBs coach feels they upgraded at the position, what the hell is the problem with him saying so?

El Tejano
05-23-2012, 08:50 AM
All I know is that any time Wade and his coaches have ever said a player is good he's been nothing short of bad ass so I'm down with Herring. You have to forgive us, we were subjected to a certain level of play for about 10 years.

beerlover
05-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Some you win then some you lose. I'd like to think in this case then some means we improve, kinda scary to think about actually, in a good way!

(flash-back to the movie Romeo Must Die, famous words uttered by Maurice) :lol:

GP
05-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Herring compared James' ability to Ryans'.

Yes, he compared them. Which was a tricky step to take.

Furthermore, he went beyond and added some words that cannot be brushed away as mere semantics. "We got back what we lost...and then some" is flattering to James and takes a bit of a stab at Ryans.

Look, I said it was not a devastating gaffe. But it was still a gaffe.

For a guy like Ryans to be traded, then to have his old coach say we got Ryans back but wait a second...no, we actually got MORE back...well, that's a gaffe.

No skin off my back. I was one of only two or three people (the night we learned Ryans was traded) who was glad the trade went down. My only quibble with what Herring said is that Ryans has been pretty nice with his comments about the Texans. That's all.

Quick II Draw
05-23-2012, 11:03 AM
A linebackers coach making an ill-conceived, from-the-gut, meathead proclamation?

Whodathunkit

Premier
05-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Yes, he compared them. Which was a tricky step to take.

Furthermore, he went beyond and added some words that cannot be brushed away as mere semantics. "We got back what we lost...and then some" is flattering to James and takes a bit of a stab at Ryans.

Look, I said it was not a devastating gaffe. But it was still a gaffe.

For a guy like Ryans to be traded, then to have his old coach say we got Ryans back but wait a second...no, we actually got MORE back...well, that's a gaffe.

No skin off my back. I was one of only two or three people (the night we learned Ryans was traded) who was glad the trade went down. My only quibble with what Herring said is that Ryans has been pretty nice with his comments about the Texans. That's all.

youre putting too much into it.. the "and then some" was shortly followed by the comments that james knew the system better than ryans, knew the calls better than cushing did too, having played in the system for a few years.. is this statement untrue?

GP
05-23-2012, 11:51 AM
youre putting too much into it.. the "and then some" was shortly followed by the comments that james knew the system better than ryans, knew the calls better than cushing did too, having played in the system for a few years.. is this statement untrue?

Doesn't matter if it's true or not. Perception is what matters.

My wife asks me "Do I look fat?" and so I pause for a second...then say "No." She didn't hear me say "No," she heard the awkward pause before I gave my answer. Conversations or attempts to communicate a message are inherently laced with problems right out of the gate, and Herring sort of flubbed this one.

Herring should have made it all about Bradie James, there was no need to even say the words DeMeco Ryans when trying to elaborate upon the impact Bradie James can potentially make with the Texans. He went there, though, and like it's been said...a P.R. guy whisked him away for an, ahem, "meeting" he was late for. LOL.

True vs. Not True is not the issue. The words he used, the stark comparison of the two guys, it was awkward. Everybody loves them some 'Meco, and it's just a bit of a gaffe to utter those words and then try to understand it in context.

At the end of the day, Herring is saying that we got 'Meco back AND THEN SOME and yet we didn't, IMO, because truthfully and factually Bradie James hasn't played a single down of Texans football yet to justify those comparisons. It's almost like Herring is jinxing it to me. Oh well.

V3rm0nt3r
05-23-2012, 11:54 AM
James can thrive in this defense. He's proven this with his history in Phillips' D.

Ryans is a premier 4-3 Mike LB who was forced into an unfamiliar and unnatural position last year. While he may have been serviceable in that position, it was obvious he wouldn't be able to play up to his full potential in that spot.

In defamation cases, the law requires prosecutors to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the statement made was false to prove guilt. Because it's very obvious what information Herring used to form his opinion and statement, I have no problem with his comments.

Rey
05-23-2012, 11:57 AM
At the end of the day, Herring is saying that we got 'Meco back AND THEN SOME and yet we didn't, IMO, because truthfully and factually Bradie James hasn't played a single down of Texans football yet to justify those comparisons. It's almost like Herring is jinxing it to me. Oh well.

Depends on what he's talking about...

Leadership + Knowledge of the defense would be Demeco + some...

I don't know if anyone can actually accurately predict production until they start playing for real.

GP
05-23-2012, 11:59 AM
James can thrive in this defense. He's proven this with his history in Phillips' D.

Ryans is a premier 4-3 Mike LB who was forced into an unfamiliar and unnatural position last year. While he may have been serviceable in that position, it was obvious he wouldn't be able to play up to his full potential in that spot.

In defamation cases, the law requires prosecutors to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the statement made was false to prove guilt. Because it's very obvious what information Herring used to form his opinion and statement, I have no problem with his comments.

Except we don't operate our lives, our relationships, within the context of law.

I think law-heavy or law-minded people don't understand that. Life is full of subjective pitfalls. What he said wasn't wrong, HOW he said it...was (in a small way).

I just know that it's not often a kicked-to-the-curb Texans player minds his manners when he speaks about his old team, the Texans. Outside of a minor comparison of Philly and Houston, 'Meco has been above reproach in his comments about us and his new home.

People didn't care for the way he compared Philly and Houston, we should therefore care how he was compared to Bradie James...by one of 'Meco's former coaches here, btw. It sort of stings if I'm 'Meco and I read that stuff by Herring. Just sayin'....

GP
05-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Depends on what he's talking about...

Leadership + Knowledge of the defense would be Demeco + some...

I don't know if anyone can actually accurately predict production until they start playing for real.

That's where my "Sounds like he's jinxing it to me" comes in.

Let's not crown Bradie James until he actually produces. If he stinks up the joint, then the quotes by Herring will be media fodder for a long time.

Premier
05-23-2012, 12:09 PM
can bradie james take atleast 58% of the snaps and make atleast 46 tackles.. because thats who he is replacing.. thats what demeco contributed to this defense last year statistically..

james doesnt need to be a leader, if youre comparing james to a pre-achilles tear demeco than no way is he better, if youre comparing him to 2011 demeco, than yes he has the opportunity to be demeco and then some..

thats why i dont have a problem with his comments.. i dont really believe in jinxes and what not, james is either gonna do it or not, if he gets injured or cant perform it wont be because of herrings comments..

GP
05-23-2012, 12:21 PM
can bradie james take atleast 58% of the snaps and make atleast 46 tackles.. because thats who he is replacing.. thats what demeco contributed to this defense last year statistically..

james doesnt need to be a leader, if youre comparing james to a pre-achilles tear demeco than no way is he better, if youre comparing him to 2011 demeco, than yes he has the opportunity to be demeco and then some..

thats why i dont have a problem with his comments.. i dont really believe in jinxes and what not, james is either gonna do it or not, if he gets injured or cant perform it wont be because of herrings comments..

Bradie James has been knocked for his lack of quickness. Cowboys fans far and near hold the opinion that the guy is somewhat slow and gets lost in traffic. A team's fans are generally a good barometer of what their players do well and what they struggle with. Whether james got lost in the Cowboys' new scheme, or whether he has lost a bit of a step over the years, remains to be seen.

Example: Raiders fans heckled us when we acquired Philip Buchanon in a trade several years ago. They knew all to well what we were getting. But when the Eagles got Ryans, they lurked here and saw 95% of Texans fans a bit perturbed that Ryans was leaving. Fans know if they lost or gained something.

Premature statements just bother me when the statement is made at an ex-player's expense. Especially when said ex-player was a good "team guy" here.

I absolutely agree that Ryans was out of place here in the 34. He was still a solid LB, though, and every snap he took he was in the middle of the play wherever it was at.

TdotTexas2Step
05-24-2012, 11:42 PM
If Herring believes we'll be able to replace Ryans production and THEN SOME...

Then my only reaction is :fans:

The more talented linebackers, the better, especially when that said linebacker has a head start on all the nuances of our defensive system.

Good luck to Ryans, I loved him when he was here, but when I heard Herring say this, I was simply ecstatic.

ObsiWan
05-25-2012, 05:19 AM
We always want our coaches to be honest and shoot straight with us, but when one actually does a bunch of booties get hurt...

I guess Herring should have gone with the Kubiak approach.. "Well any time you lose a player the caliber of DeMeco, a leader and a great player in this league, you're gunna have a hard time replacing that, so someone's gunna have to come up big for us back there..."

And where is the "shot" at 'Meco? Hell, i don't even think he was complimenting James, i just think he believes what he said...

I love 'Meco as much as the next Texans fan, but if the LBs coach feels they upgraded at the position, what the hell is the problem with him saying so?

MSR...
First, there was no "shot" at DeMeco. As someone said, Herring complemented DeMeco and by association complimented James.

Second, the article said the PR "person" was sent to snag Herring because he was late to a meeting. End of story.

PR people = spin doctors = professional liars
I often wonder why that job even exists?

SheTexan
05-25-2012, 08:11 AM
It's the offseason. No real story there. DeMeco was great when healthy but he's not a part of this team anymore. I'll gladly root for him because of his history but MEH. If he really wanted to be here he would've restructured and make it known he wanted to be here.

My 2¢

Meco DID make it known that he would restucture AGAIN, which would make it pretty obvious he wanted to stay here. He wasn't given the opportunity!! RS threw him under the bus to help out his friend in Philly, and because Wade wanted B. James! I've read all I can find about OTAs and James "leadership" role! FINE, GREAT, he's a leader in the 3-4 and Wade got his man. BUT, his success on the field as a Texan is yet to be proven. Yes, Demeco is history as a Texan, but, NO ONE, esp a coach, should deminish the role he played here. JMO!

I will say this though! I respect James for not taking #59 out of respect for Demeco. That alone says a lot about the man! JMO

Texan_Bill
05-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Irrespective of Ryans contract, he's 4-3 middle linebacker and not a 3-4 inside linebacker.

In only 6 games (2010) he had 54 tackles in the 4-3. In 2011 (and yes coming off the 2010 injury) but playing in all 16 games, he had only 64 tackles in the 3-4.

drs23
05-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Meco DID make it known that he would restucture AGAIN, which would make it pretty obvious he wanted to stay here. He wasn't given the opportunity!! RS threw him under the bus to help out his friend in Philly, and because Wade wanted B. James! I've read all I can find about OTAs and James "leadership" role! FINE, GREAT, he's a leader in the 3-4 and Wade got his man. BUT, his success on the field as a Texan is yet to be proven. Yes, Demeco is history as a Texan, but, NO ONE, esp a coach, should deminish the role he played here. JMO!

I will say this though! I respect James for not taking #59 out of respect for Demeco. That alone says a lot about the man! JMO

Sandy, I appreciate Meco's pure class and professionalism as much as you do. He was a team player and leader in the truest sense but football facts are football facts. He just didn't fit the system no matter how you try to justify his need to be here. Even if he'd restructured, it would have still been a lose/lose for the TEAM. Meco is now in a system where we'll see him play like the MIKE he was born to be. A win/win for all concerned. He wasn't chicken****ted no matter how you spin it. If anything it was the best move the Texans could have made for him.

I feel like many others here that fall in love with the team, not the player. I want to see them excel as a unit.

Now on the other hand, if they let my Main Man JJ Watt slip away, I'll be the biggest turn coat hypocrite this MB has ever witnessed! :foottap:

The Pencil Neck
05-25-2012, 10:27 AM
RS threw him under the bus to help out his friend in Philly, and because Wade wanted B. James!

Smith did Demeco a favor. Just like Bradie James didn't fit in with the new Dallas defensive system, Demeco didn't fit in with ours. Demeco did a good job and like the class person he is, he didn't whine or complain about it. He gave us some gutsy play and some stops when we needed them but he was out of position on the football field.

He got sent to a higher profile team. He got sent to a place where he'll better be able to succeed.

And I wish him all the best. I love Demeco. I just can't see how this trade was any sort of insult to him or to his service.

beerlover
05-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Smith did Demeco a favor. Just like Bradie James didn't fit in with the new Dallas defensive system, Demeco didn't fit in with ours. Demeco did a good job and like the class person he is, he didn't whine or complain about it. He gave us some gutsy play and some stops when we needed them but he was out of position on the football field.

He got sent to a higher profile team. He got sent to a place where he'll better be able to succeed.

And I wish him all the best. I love Demeco. I just can't see how this trade was any sort of insult to him or to his service.

Agree 100%

Rey
05-25-2012, 11:00 AM
I disagree that Demeco didn't fit our defense. Demeco was a part of the reason this defense was successful last season. He made some good plays for us especially towards the end of the season down road.

The reason he's not here anymore is because he couldn't find more snaps to justify his salary. Sure he might be more successful in a 4-3, but honestly I think he's going to find himself in a similar situation that he was in here. He's never been that great in pass coverage and over the years he's gotten a little worse at it.

I think he can do it in certain spots, but I think if you have him in there in definite passing situations he can be a liability and I don't care what defense you play in. 3-4, 4-3,44, 5-2...whatever...

The Pencil Neck
05-25-2012, 11:54 AM
I disagree that Demeco didn't fit our defense. Demeco was a part of the reason this defense was successful last season. He made some good plays for us especially towards the end of the season down road.

The reason he's not here anymore is because he couldn't find more snaps to justify his salary. Sure he might be more successful in a 4-3, but honestly I think he's going to find himself in a similar situation that he was in here. He's never been that great in pass coverage and over the years he's gotten a little worse at it.

I think he can do it in certain spots, but I think if you have him in there in definite passing situations he can be a liability and I don't care what defense you play in. 3-4, 4-3,44, 5-2...whatever...

You've basically just said what I was saying but you disagree about the word "fit."

The fact that he can't find those snaps to justify his salary means, to me, that he doesn't fit our defense. If he was a better fit for the defense, he would have been on the field more. It's OK for a role player to do the things he was doing but not for someone of Demeco's "stature."

In other defenses, he might be able to be on the field more and justify his salary. The Eagles obviously think he fits with their defense although, honestly, I worry about him going to the Eagles because I don't think they're very clear on exactly what their defense is supposed to be doing. The old Eagle defense didn't really ask a lot from their Mikes in coverage. Hell, Jeremiah Trotter did a great job in their old defense as a 300# MLB. Demeco could be great in that downhill thumper sort of role.

beerlover
05-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Bradie will be a starting ILB for the top defense in the AFC, yet no love? http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1195800-2012-nfl-free-agents-15-players-that-will-make-the-biggest-impact/page/12 Good to see Eric gets some at least :)

Rey
05-25-2012, 01:27 PM
You've basically just said what I was saying but you disagree about the word "fit."

The fact that he can't find those snaps to justify his salary means, to me, that he doesn't fit our defense. If he was a better fit for the defense, he would have been on the field more. It's OK for a role player to do the things he was doing but not for someone of Demeco's "stature."

Maybe I don't know how you're using "fit" here...

When I think "fit" in this instance I'm thinking that a certain players skills set doesn't translate to a certain scheme.

I thought Demeco played pretty well for us all things considered. I thought he was a formidable 2nd ILB and when Cushing got hurt I thought he was one hell of a replacement for him.

The reason he couldn't get more snaps here is because of Cushing. Cushing is a better all around LB. If Demeco goes to Philly and they have draft or find a stud MLB somewhere and Demeco's PT is dwindled that doesn't mean he's not a good fit, IMO. What it means is just that he's not better than the guy playing the same position ahead of him.

I thought he fit well when we were in our base 3-4.

The Pencil Neck
05-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Maybe I don't know how you're using "fit" here...

When I think "fit" in this instance I'm thinking that a certain players skills set doesn't translate to a certain scheme.

I thought Demeco played pretty well for us all things considered. I thought he was a formidable 2nd ILB and when Cushing got hurt I thought he was one hell of a replacement for him.

The reason he couldn't get more snaps here is because of Cushing. Cushing is a better all around LB. If Demeco goes to Philly and they have draft or find a stud MLB somewhere and Demeco's PT is dwindled that doesn't mean he's not a good fit, IMO. What it means is just that he's not better than the guy playing the same position ahead of him.

I thought he fit well when we were in our base 3-4.

I didn't think Demeco was formidable as an ILB in this defense. He made some plays, yes, but I didn't see him as formidable. I didn't see him as a good replacement for Cush when Cush went out.

We either needed more of a role player in that 2nd ILB spot or we needed a guy with a skill set so he could stay on the field more during passing situations. Demeco wasn't really either of those. That's why think he wasn't a good fit. And, like you said, his contract made him "over-qualified" for the position he was in.

In the past, the Eagles ran a defense more suited to the player that Demeco is now. I don't know if the current defense is as suited to him. But they drafted a MLB last year and Matthews took a lot of the blame for their defensive woes.

Rey
05-25-2012, 02:00 PM
I didn't think Demeco was formidable as an ILB in this defense. He made some plays, yes, but I didn't see him as formidable. I didn't see him as a good replacement for Cush when Cush went out.

We can agree to disagree on that one. That's fine. He was no Navarro Bowman, but he was a good player IMO.

We either needed more of a role player in that 2nd ILB spot or we needed a guy with a skill set so he could stay on the field more during passing situations. Demeco wasn't really either of those. That's why think he wasn't a good fit. And, like you said, his contract made him "over-qualified" for the position he was in.

I disagree with this part too. If I had another, cheaper version of late season Demeco Ryans I'd be thrilled with that. Late season Demeco was not a guy you'd want in passing situations nor was he a guy that was more of a role player. I'd take late season Demeco at a cheaper price all day everyday.

I just don't believe that his fit in the defense had as much to do with the fact that his usage wasn't worth the contract.

And I'm actually a fan of the safety coming in as the second LB in nickel situations. Most safeties are going to be able to cover and run better than a MLB anyways. T

In the past, the Eagles ran a defense more suited to the player that Demeco is now. I don't know if the current defense is as suited to him. But they drafted a MLB last year and Matthews took a lot of the blame for their defensive woes.

I think the Eagles feel like Demeco is worth the money he's being paid because they see him as the best MLB and possibly the best LB on their team. They have said that they see him as a 3 down LB.

I disagree with that. I think Demeco is miscast as that at this point. It's not so much the base Scheme as much as trying to have him be a 3-down player. That's what I'm trying to say.

I don't care what team he goes to. I would rather have him play the role that he played with the Texans last year. The Eagles think they can squeeze more out of him than that. We'll see.

The Pencil Neck
05-25-2012, 02:08 PM
I think the Eagles feel like Demeco is worth the money he's being paid because they see him as the best MLB and possibly the best LB on their team. They have said that they see him as a 3 down LB.

I disagree with that. I think Demeco is miscast as that at this point. It's not so much the base Scheme as much as trying to have him be a 3-down player. That's what I'm trying to say.

I don't care what team he goes to. I would rather have him play the role that he played with the Texans last year. The Eagles think they can squeeze more out of him than that. We'll see.

But this is what I was saying about the old Eagle defense. That defense was kind of unique. Their Mike wasn't a guy that had much coverage responsibility. Jeremiah Trotter flourished in that Mike position and he was 300# and while agile for his size, he wasn't the guy you wanted covering anyone in space. And he was on the field all three downs in that defense. Demeco, as he exists today, could play that Jeremiah Trotter role and be a 3-down LB.

BUT.

With the loss of Jimmy Johnson and his guys and Reid moving the OL coach over to DC, I'm not so sure this new defense is what that old defense used to be. And because of that, I agree with you that the Eagles might not get out of him what they expect to.

But if Jimmy Johnson was still there, Demeco would have been a great fit in his defense.

Texas T
05-25-2012, 02:19 PM
But this is what I was saying about the old Eagle defense. That defense was kind of unique. Their Mike wasn't a guy that had much coverage responsibility. Jeremiah Trotter flourished in that Mike position and he was 300# and while agile for his size, he wasn't the guy you wanted covering anyone in space. And he was on the field all three downs in that defense. Demeco, as he exists today, could play that Jeremiah Trotter role and be a 3-down LB.

BUT.

With the loss of Jimmy Johnson and his guys and Reid moving the OL coach over to DC, I'm not so sure this new defense is what that old defense used to be. And because of that, I agree with you that the Eagles might not get out of him what they expect to.

But if Jimmy Johnson was still there, Demeco would have been a great fit in his defense.

This is the belief up here in Iggles country. He IS the best MLB the Eagles have had since Trotter.

On a side note, Trotter's son plays baseball in the same league my son does and I asked Jeremiah about this about two weeks ago and he agreed.

Corrosion
05-26-2012, 04:44 AM

The bold is the bottom line .... and it really had nothing to do with Ryans but everything to do with Cushing's play. No way was a post injury Ryans going to supplant Cushing as the only LB on the field in the nickle package. No knock at all on Ryans but Cushing is better in passing situations .... and this is a passing league.

Ryans did contribute heavily to his own lack of snaps in helping put teams in passing situations ....

I think Ryans can play 3 downs in a 4-3 pending he isnt asked to go into coverage much. He can be that guy who plugs the middle on draws and sniffs out screens both of which are often run in those situations. These are things he is very capable of doing and has the experience to go along with it.

I think the move is a win for all involved - Ryans finds himself in a good situation , the Eagles get value for the pick , The Texans shed salary when they had little choice but to do so and ended up with a high potential player in Crick for the draft pick.

Lucky
05-26-2012, 05:45 AM
I think the move is a win for all involved - Ryans finds himself in a good situation , the Eagles get value for the pick , The Texans shed salary when they had little choice but to do so and ended up with a high potential player in Crick for the draft pick.
The pick used on Crick was acquired in the trade that allowed the Bucs to move up into the 2nd round. Ben Jones was drafted with the 4th round pick from the Eagles.

Corrosion
05-26-2012, 12:41 PM
The pick used on Crick was acquired in the trade that allowed the Bucs to move up into the 2nd round. Ben Jones was drafted with the 4th round pick from the Eagles.

Correction noted .... Either way the Texans shed salary and got a quality prospect in return for Ryans. Jones was the #2 center in this draft on most boards behind Konz who went in the second round #55 overall .... Pretty good value if ya ask me.