PDA

View Full Version : Texans Fans / Mario Williams

CloakNNNdagger
04-11-2012, 11:02 PM
I placed this article in this section because of the comparison references to this city.

Somehow, I find the light in which Houston is presented somewhat mischaracterized and distasteful. Yes, there was controversy over the choice of picks. But, initially, there were as many supporters as there were distractors. And, even so, soon thereafter, most of us were willing to give Mario the benefit of the doubt while the "trial" period proceeded.

It may just be me, but this article somehow rubbed me the wrong way.

Mario Williams doesn't feel pressure despite big deal
By Dan Hanzus NFL.com
Writer
Published: April 11, 2012 at 10:33 a.m.
Updated: April 11, 2012 at 10:42 a.m.

You think Mario Williams is feeling pressure after signing a deal with the Buffalo Bills to become the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history? Think again.

Williams knows pressure. He knew it 2006 when he was a 20-year-old kid coming out North Carolina State, drafted by a Houston Texans team with a fanbase furious the team chose Williams over both the hometown hero (Vince Young) and "the next Gale Sayers" (Reggie Bush).

Williams faced a nearly impossible challenge there, and obviously came out just fine. Everything else is a cake walk for the two-time Pro Bowler.

"I know what this city wants and needs and that’s fine with me," Williams said of Buffalo, according to the Bills' official site. "That’s not pressure. I play football. That’s what I do. My main goal is to play football that helps us win. This city also embraced me.”

Williams hasn't forgotten how difficult it was to play in a city that wasn't behind him. Neither has Charley Casserly, the NFL Network analyst who drafted Williams during his run as general manager with the Texans.

“In Houston the poor young man was booed,” Casserly said. “He was ridiculed. There was a lot criticism of myself, and I purposely tried to put as much on me and take it off of him because at 20 years old and just being drafted this wasn’t his fault. From there everybody was against the kid.”

Williams got off to a slow start with the Texans, leading many to prematurely label him as a bust. He will face the same challenge in Buffalo, a much more supportive fanbase that will expect instant results nonetheless.

Texecutioner
04-11-2012, 11:06 PM
That has got to be some of the biggest crap I've ever heard. Talk about sour grapes still on Casserly's part, because he did a horrible job here.

Mario was treated damn good here. He was overrated for one, and he was paid big time. Who cares if he would have been boooed or not welcomed right away when he was making around 50 MIllion guaranteed at the time. That's an easy trade off. Casserly needs to shut his pie hole, because he set this franchise back several years from his failures.

Ryan
04-11-2012, 11:19 PM
He was worshipped here from 2007-2011 where he only had two 10+ sack seasons. Cry me a river.

Brisco_County
04-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Sounds like Casserly was the writer's only source for perspective. It reminds me of how the worst leaders in history blame the people for failure rather than themselves. Casserly even feigns a little bit of martyrdom by offering to bear Mario's cross for him. Nice.

The more Casserly talks, the more he proves Belichik right.

Playoffs
He was booed when picked, yes. Dumb fans.

But his stay in Houston can't be characterized like that.

One thing: I can't think of anyone who has had to endure the same questions about draft day so many years into their career.

GP
Nobody BUT the media is to blame, Charles Casserly.

YOU guys (now that you're part of the media) do this crap to players, fans don't. Every fan embraces its players, most especially the high draft choices.

WE have pride in our guys, you media types--ESPN being the biggest of all--are the ones who drag guys like Mario Williams through the mud. For your own ratings.

Someone needs to Jalen Rose that a-hole Casserly.

Trap_Star
04-11-2012, 11:27 PM
http://mlblogstincaps.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/casserly-muppet1.jpg

Toro On Parade
04-11-2012, 11:36 PM
We simply couldn't afford him. I wish him luck but honestly it was a smart move to release him rather than having a salary cap crisis for the next few years especially since we have great players backing him up

Toro On Parade
04-11-2012, 11:40 PM
That has got to be some of the biggest crap I've ever heard. Talk about sour grapes still on Casserly's part, because he did a horrible job here.

Mario was treated damn good here. He was overrated for one, and he was paid big time. Who cares if he would have been boooed or not welcomed right away when he was making around 50 MIllion guaranteed at the time. That's an easy trade off. Casserly needs to shut his pie hole, because he set this franchise back several years from his failures.

HAHAHA You are 100% correct. We had every right to criticize him. In the preseason and first few games he was terrible. At the time we didn't know Vince Young and Reggie Bush were going to be bust's and we were shocked at the decision of picking Mario(it turned out perfect but still when that big of a shock happens the fans have a right to have doubts)

steelbtexan
04-11-2012, 11:54 PM
BTW,

Would everybody agree that Ngata was the best player in the 2006 draft?

How Casserly has a job as a NFL expert continues to amaze me.

Toro On Parade
04-11-2012, 11:57 PM
BTW,

Really? You'd pick him over Mario?

Trap_Star
04-11-2012, 11:58 PM

ngata is a beast.

Toro On Parade
04-12-2012, 12:07 AM
ngata is a beast.

Yes, and I agree with ya on that. But you would choose him over Mario Williams? I'd rather have BJ Raja as the nose tackle than Ngata.

TheDream34
04-12-2012, 12:11 AM
I really think the whole "fans treated Mario poorly" is over stated. Yeah he was booed in the beginning, but once he started performing the fans got off his back. I wish him well, we just simply could not afford him.

Trap_Star
04-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Yes, and I agree with ya on that. But you would choose him over Mario Williams? I'd rather have BJ Raja as the nose tackle than Ngata.

what has mario done in the last 3 years that would make you take him over ngata? ngata isn't just a regular NT. you can do so much with him other than just plug the gaps.

Toro On Parade
04-12-2012, 12:26 AM
what has mario done in the last 3 years that would make you take him over ngata? ngata isn't just a regular NT. you can do so much with him other than just plug the gaps.

Career stats:

Ngata:
Solo Tackles:206 Sacks: 17.0

Mario Williams:
Solo Tackles:192 Sacks: 53

That's what

Toro On Parade
04-12-2012, 12:27 AM
I didn't see that you put "past three years" my bad. But career wise I'll go with Mario's Sacks

Trap_Star
04-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Career stats:

Ngata:

Mario Williams:

That's what

lol saw it coming all the way.

:fans:

Showtime100
04-12-2012, 12:39 AM
My personal memory was almost instantaneously it was us (Texan fans, Texans, Mario) against them. The general feeling was, "screw 'em, they'll learn."

Maybe that is inaccurate or maybe that's just the way I felt since I really disliked Reggie and Vince, but that's how I remember it.

Trap_Star
04-12-2012, 12:41 AM
who else was in the "trade back for d'brickashaw" camp with me?

steelbtexan
04-12-2012, 12:55 AM

I was in this group

It was time to fix the OL. After yrs of neglect by Charles in Charge. CC

Scooter
04-12-2012, 02:56 AM
BTW,

easily. a (very) small argument can be made that playing on the ravens has freed him up, but i cant think of a more overwhelming 3-4 lineman in the past decade (or two).

i will forever say, however, that charles spencer may have been one of the all time greats. he was incredible even raw, and had an infinite ceiling with that movement and insane "punch".

Scooter
04-12-2012, 02:59 AM

i was lobbying to take him first overall.

pec0sb0b
04-12-2012, 04:00 AM

In the 2002 Expansion Draft there were 155 eligible players on the list from which the Texans could build a team. There were 25 Pro Bowlers on that list. This is what we got:

Tony Boselli Offensive Tackle
Ryan Young Offensive Tackle
Aaron Glenn Cornerback
Gary Walker Defensive Tackle
Jamie Sharper Linebacker
Jermaine Lewis Wide Receiver
Marcus Coleman Cornerback
Seth Payne Defensive Tackle
Matt Campbell Offensive Guard
Matt Stevens Safety
Jeremy McKinney Offensive Guard
Ryan Schau Offensive Tackle
Charlie Rogers Kick Returner
Sean McDermott Tight End
Jabari Issa Defensive End
Avion Black Wide Receiver
Danny Wuerffel Quarterback
Brian Allen Linebacker
Johnny Huggins Tight End

And then he added the piece d'resistance with his first ever draft pick for the Houston Texans - David Carr.

"Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? Wherever he's been, whatever he's done, his percentage is like a meteorologist...He has no relationship with this team, I'd say less than zero. He's never here, I don't know if he's ever been to a game. He's never been to a practice...at least he put his name on it and I'll put my name on it and say, like he usually is, he's 100-percent wrong." - Bill Belichick

El Tejano
04-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Look, it's on tape as far as how we thought of Mario. All they have to do is go put on our 2006 season when we played the Dolphins in week 4 and he got his first sack. The MAR-I-O, Mar-I-O chants were off the chain! That says it all.

Señor Stan
04-12-2012, 09:57 AM
That's a crock.

Mario was NOT personally ridiculed. The PICK was ridiculed on a national level...for years.

Houston fans by and large supported the guy. Too bad we didn't name a pizza after him when he was drafted or he might have stayed...

steelbtexan
04-12-2012, 10:10 AM
In the 2002 Expansion Draft there were 155 eligible players on the list from which the Texans could build a team. There were 25 Pro Bowlers on that list. This is what we got:

Tony Boselli Offensive Tackle
Ryan Young Offensive Tackle
Aaron Glenn Cornerback
Gary Walker Defensive Tackle
Jamie Sharper Linebacker
Jermaine Lewis Wide Receiver
Marcus Coleman Cornerback
Seth Payne Defensive Tackle
Matt Campbell Offensive Guard
Matt Stevens Safety
Jeremy McKinney Offensive Guard
Ryan Schau Offensive Tackle
Charlie Rogers Kick Returner
Sean McDermott Tight End
Jabari Issa Defensive End
Avion Black Wide Receiver
Danny Wuerffel Quarterback
Brian Allen Linebacker
Johnny Huggins Tight End

And then he added the piece d'resistance with his first ever draft pick for the Houston Texans - David Carr.

"Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? Wherever he's been, whatever he's done, his percentage is like a meteorologist...He has no relationship with this team, I'd say less than zero. He's never here, I don't know if he's ever been to a game. He's never been to a practice...at least he put his name on it and I'll put my name on it and say, like he usually is, he's 100-percent wrong." - Bill Belichick

Looking back at that list makes me wonder how Casserly got the job in the 1st place. After a yr of study hecame up with that list of players. LOL

I've never seen that quote from Belichick before. But it's spot on.

drs23
04-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Sounds like Casserly was the writer's only source for perspective. It reminds me of how the worst leaders in history blame the people for failure rather than themselves. Casserly even feigns a little bit of martyrdom by offering to bear Mario's cross for him. Nice.

The more Casserly talks, the more he proves Belichik right.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you fill me in?

Never mind, I missed it here:

Brisco_County
04-12-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you fill me in?

Belichick: "Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly...?"

Link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/04/belichick-whos-been-been-wrong-more-than-charlie-casserly/)

jaayteetx
04-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Is there a link to the whole story or did I miss it?

Yankee_In_TX
04-12-2012, 12:55 PM
My personal memory was almost instantaneously it was us (Texan fans, Texans, Mario) against them. The general feeling was, "screw 'em, they'll learn."

Maybe that is inaccurate or maybe that's just the way I felt since I really disliked Reggie and Vince, but that's how I remember it.

....except for the Texans 'fans' who still thing VY should be our starter (as in, pick up VY and start him 2012).

The same dopes that bought #10 Titans jerseys but had never watched a Titan game in their lives....

Yankee_In_TX
04-12-2012, 12:56 PM

Link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/04/belichick-whos-been-been-wrong-more-than-charlie-casserly/)

Bwahahahaha, awesome.

Thorn
04-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Spilt milk permeates this thread. :lol:

Brisco_County
04-12-2012, 01:22 PM
....except for the Texans 'fans' who still thing VY should be our starter (as in, pick up VY and start him 2012).

The same dopes that bought #10 Titans jerseys but had never watched a Titan game in their lives....

I deal with this all the time in Austin. I can't believe it still goes on.

buddyboy
04-12-2012, 01:28 PM
HAHAHA You are 100% correct. We had every right to criticize him. In the preseason and first few games he was terrible. At the time we didn't know Vince Young and Reggie Bush were going to be bust's and we were shocked at the decision of picking Mario(it turned out perfect but still when that big of a shock happens the fans have a right to have doubts)

No fan should criticize a player based on his draft position or based on who they arbitrarily believe should have been picked instead. These things are the front office's decision, not the young man who was picked.

Because a player doesn't live up to expectations isn't his fault, it's the expectations that are to blame. Besides, sure turns out that the fan's "rightful" criticism was unfounded, doesn't it?

Criticize a player for playing poorly. If a player plays poorly, boo him. Criticize him. But don't criticize based on things out of his control.

Goatcheese
04-12-2012, 02:24 PM

I was a D'Brickawall 1a Mario 1b guy. Happy either way.

Mr teX
04-12-2012, 02:37 PM

this....folks in here talking like everything was kumbaya when we picked mario are lying to themselves. It was at best a 60-40 proposition for at least his 1st 2 years here before many started to embrace him....& even then it was only b/c the other 2 were starting to fail & it was starting to look like we'd made the right call in the end.

but yeah, one of the most disappointing & angering moments for me as a texans fan was watching all the jackasses on TV in reliant stadium cheering for a rival player as he scrambled for a game winning TD against us.

The reaction the board had once he officially left says it all right there. Those wanting the guy back were definitely in the minority and in the end most were just "eh'" about him either way. Dude was always on the outside looking in houston....even if some fans weren't willing to admit it. So yeah, there's some level of truth to what the writer is saying, but it is overplayed a little.

BattleRedRock
04-12-2012, 02:39 PM
i was lobbying to take him first overall.

Thats where that hindsight is 20 20 comes to mind, but all sorts of players could have went number 1 looking at them now. Vernon Davis is a beast best TE in the game or arguably, MJD top 3 RB.. but yeah D.Brick woulda been the safe pick at #1.. all that being said, at the time, these guys in college, VY was the best player. single handily beat USC in the national title and obviously we needed a QB at the time.. and i admit the pick blew my mind but Mario did outplay those guys looking at it now it was the better pick. But to say he was mistreated and booed etc, thats BS, once fans got over the sexy pick and realized that 20 yr old kid could play we all accepted him.. but i still feel he has never played up to his potential and that is simply bc he doesnt have the heart for the game as much as his former team mate Brian Cushing AKA chuck norris

When Cushing hits an opposing QB, his whole family feels it

Playoffs
04-12-2012, 02:46 PM

Link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/04/belichick-whos-been-been-wrong-more-than-charlie-casserly/)From the linked article:
Ouch. Well, at least Casserly got the Mario Williams pick right.
I don't agree with this. My understanding is VY was never an option -- top-down organizational decision, all agreed. Mr. McNair took Bush off the table when he learned of the NCAA violations re: Bush's family. So there was no "choice" per se, Mario was the only option. So Casserly isn't the "hero" he paints himself as.

Texan_Bill
04-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Hyperbole much??

:facepalm: Article!!

Double Barrel
04-12-2012, 03:41 PM
He will face the same challenge in Buffalo, a much more supportive fanbase that will expect instant results nonetheless.

This part made me chuckle. My in-laws are from Buffalo. My FIL told me last Sunday that he had recently spoken to several of his old buddies, and they are looking at Mario as the second coming of Bruce Smith. He said they will turn on him "in a New York minute" when they realize that they paid for second coming of Bruce Smith and only got Mario Williams instead.

I have never disliked Mario and wished he could have stayed here, so no hard feelings from me. But, all that said, he's not second coming of Bruce Smith and not even Bruce Smith lite.

mussop
04-12-2012, 09:13 PM

You are crazy!!!! And I like Raji.

Texan_Bill
04-12-2012, 09:23 PM
The article is simply BS... Yes, there were the fan boi, VY jock sniffers and those that that thought that Bush was the next coming of Gale Sayers. That said there were also a lot of fans that liked the Mario pick once it settled in. In fact, after his soph year with the Texans, during the "fan appreciation day", someone yelled "Reggie WHO??"

Mario fell-out laughing and shook that person's hand........
That someone was me!

Now, in retrospect, Mario is a "nice player" and an athletic freak but he's not worth what Buffalo paid for him. I'd rather the Texans be fiscally responsible and not overspend for a "nice player".

Good luck to Mario, but I wish he would've went to the NancyFC!

*EDIT*
BTW, I will boo him when he comes here as the enemy. At the end of the day, it's all about the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.

Go TEXANS!

The Pencil Neck
04-12-2012, 10:26 PM

I was there. I figured the Jets would want to grab Bush as a replacement for Curtis Martin.

Brisco_County
04-13-2012, 09:16 AM
From the linked article:

I don't agree with this. My understanding is VY was never an option -- top-down organizational decision, all agreed. Mr. Smith took Bush off the table when he learned of the NCAA violations re: Bush's family. So there was no "choice" per se, Mario was the only option. So Casserly isn't the "hero" he paints himself as.

I've heard different versions of the story, but not the one about Smith eliminating the Reggie Bush option. I (unfortunately) read John McClain's anecdote about Casserly deciding at the last minute to take Mario. The story that I've always believed was that it was Kubiak's choice, and he stayed silent while Casserly was credited.

Playoffs
04-13-2012, 09:22 AM
I've heard different versions of the story, but not the one about Smith eliminating the Reggie Bush option. I (unfortunately) read John McClain's anecdote about Casserly deciding at the last minute to take Mario. The story that I've always believed was that it was Kubiak's choice, and he stayed silent while Casserly was credited.My bad, I don't know why I had Smith in there. Mr. McNair took Bush off the table. Fixed it above.

SheTexan
04-13-2012, 11:04 AM
That article is spot on!! JMO!! Some of you guys have very short memories!

Think I will leave it at that!!

Trail.Blazr
04-13-2012, 02:14 PM

NOT spot on. The article misleads readers to believe that Mario had nobody in his corner when he came to Houston.

My short memory has a picture of the 1. VY loyalists not a fan of the pic.. understandable for Homers who don't get their guy. 2. Bush backers not a fan of the pic, in lieu of being justifiably enamored by the high-light reel laden phenom that was obviously the consensus sexy pic in the draft. But even so, there were a bunch of Texans loyals who bought into the need to "at all costs" deal with Peyton Manning, and at the same time put some insurgence into what was a pretty pathetic pass rush, thus accepting the Mario-"who" pick. IMHO, it was by the grace of his freakish combine stats that most of those who were in Mario's corner rushed out to buy a #90 jersey and hope he lived up to the potential he was drafted for. We WERE hoping for the next Bruce Smith(since his name was already brought up on this thread). Fair to Mario... maybe not, but he was definitely compensated for the un-fairness. The thing that sucks is despite his blockbuster signing and record setting rookie contract, he earned it mostly off potential, rather than merit. To make it worse, he was tendered another huge contract which again was earned more by potential than merit. But to suggest he didn't have a fan base in Houston, which I believe this article tries to do IS FALSE.

I won't say I was ever his "biggest" fan, but I was a big fan... for a few years, until I realized I was tired of holding out for him to play up to the potential that I felt sold on. That he never did, in hindsight, is more a reflection on Casserly & Co. than for Mario. Mario, is quite lucky, IMHO. Moving on to Buffalo, he kind of starts the cycle all over and will have a long and wealthy career built off some mis-guided belief in his potential. IF HE EVER LIVES UP TO IT, I will be happy for him.

At worst, this article falsely depicts the Houston Fans as un-supportive of him from day 1 and furthers his legacy as a potential Hall of Famer, and setting up Buffalo fans for a bit of a let down. Buffalo sure isn't on the fence. They have no dreams of VY or Bush here.. They simply are ecstatic to be getting the same potential we drafted him as. Buyer Beware.

Yankee_In_TX
04-13-2012, 02:51 PM
but yeah, one of the most disappointing & angering moments for me as a texans fan was watching all the jackasses on TV in reliant stadium cheering for a rival player as he scrambled for a game winning TD against us.

I had to skip the game due to law school exams. My wife was still a cheerleader at the time. She said she was enraged and it was hard to fake a smile on the sideline.

She also said they got stuff thrown at them towards the end of the game.

so I would say HOUSTON was not against Mario, national/local media and dopey fake fans were against him.

Sure, folks might have said 'I wish we had drafted so and so' with legit reasons. But the majority of the Houston fanbase was not 'against' Mario, IMHO.

Yankee_In_TX
04-13-2012, 02:53 PM
At worst, this article falsely depicts the Houston Fans as un-supportive of him from day 1 and furthers his legacy as a potential Hall of Famer, and setting up Buffalo fans for a bit of a let down. Buffalo sure isn't on the fence. They have no dreams of VY or Bush here.. They simply are ecstatic to be getting the same potential we drafted him as. Buyer Beware.

Well said.

And if he blossoms into a HOF player there, well, he sure wasn't doing it here.

Showtime100
04-13-2012, 04:08 PM

Well, there's no reason for a personal attack on........I forgot what I was.....nevermind.

:peek:

SheTexan
04-13-2012, 04:08 PM
so I would say HOUSTON was not against Mario, national/local media and dopey fake fans were against him

Yank, where do you think "dopey fake fans" come from? Our fans were brutal, and still are. When they stood up for VY at that game, screaming his name, wearing his jersey, acting like FOOLS over a flippin football player that was playing FOR THE ENEMY, I wanted to vomit! In my 50+ years of being a diehard football fan I've never seen anything like that, and hope to never see it again! How do you think Mario, and the rest of the team felt that day watching THEIR fans turn against them. I was there! I watched half the BULLPEN go ape**** over VY running that TD, as well as security guards pushing Texan fans back so Titan fans could get close to the rail. I was bound and determined to stand my ground and NOT ALLOW a Titan fan past me, and was told by PAUL to move aside and leave them alone, OR ELSE HE WOULD HAVE ME EJECTED FROM THE GAME!! Yea, fond memories of TEXAN fans that day!! If I felt so abused, as a fan, I just wonder how our players felt that day, esp Mario!

Thorn
04-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Mario may not have lived up to his status as the number 1 pick in the draft, but he was still a damn good DE. He had to be double teamed or else he was in their backfield. And he was a damn good run stopper.

It's to bad he left, but he would have cost more than he was worth here considering we have good replacements for him. I was one of those that wanted VY, but had no problem selecting a good DE for such a horrible defense like we had at the time.

But he's gone, like a lot of other players we admire now that will be playing for other teams before their careers are over with.

El Tejano
04-13-2012, 04:32 PM
If not for my Mario Sucks threads, he would've never got the fat payday he got.

He was good while here, he went and got paid. He no longer wears a Toro but a Buffalo on his helmet and, to me, that puts his replica jersey in the trash can.

Yankee_In_TX
04-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Yank, where do you think "dopey fake fans" come from? Our fans were brutal, and still are. When they stood up for VY at that game, screaming his name, wearing his jersey, acting like FOOLS over a flippin football player that was playing FOR THE ENEMY, I wanted to vomit! In my 50+ years of being a diehard football fan I've never seen anything like that, and hope to never see it again! How do you think Mario, and the rest of the team felt that day watching THEIR fans turn against them. I was there! I watched half the BULLPEN go ape**** over VY running that TD, as well as security guards pushing Texan fans back so Titan fans could get close to the rail. I was bound and determined to stand my ground and NOT ALLOW a Titan fan past me, and was told by PAUL to move aside and leave them alone, OR ELSE HE WOULD HAVE ME EJECTED FROM THE GAME!! Yea, fond memories of TEXAN fans that day!! If I felt so abused, as a fan, I just wonder how our players felt that day, esp Mario!

I would posit that the people you describe are not really Texans fans. A LOT of people sold their tickets for that game to VY fans and Texas fans who could give two sh%ts about the Texans (but may have jumped on the bandwagon since then).

If anyone you actually know was cheering, well, I hope you called them out.

Remember, it was near the end of a 6-10 season, the stands were mostly empty and tickets were readily available.

Playoffs
04-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Mario may not have lived up to his status as the number 1 pick in the draft, but he was still a damn good DE. He had to be double teamed or else he was in their backfield. And he was a damn good run stopper.Agree on everything except the "might not have lived up to" part. I don't see anyone taken in the first round I'd trade for, except maybe Cutler and that's projecting him to be much better under Kubiak's tutelage. (EDIT:Missed Ngata)

Playoffs
04-13-2012, 06:20 PM
That article is spot on!! JMO!! Some of you guys have very short memories!ST is right in a lot of respects, but there was also a national media consensus that the Texans blew that pick big time. They were laughing at us for a while there.

ThaShark316
04-13-2012, 11:42 PM
ST is right in a lot of respects, but there was also a national media consensus that the Texans blew that pick big time. They were laughing at us for a while there.

I remember that POS Len Pasquarelli saying it was a "Texas Sized blunder". **** him and **** the media in 2006. We still won that ****.

For me though, it was (VY = out of question and closer to draft) :

1. Bush
2. Ferguson
3. Mario
4. Trade

I didn't see MW play in college, but saw highlight videos. After those, I was Bush, Mario, Ferguson, trade. Knew trade was unlikely because no one wanted it. I was stunned when we did the deal for Mario (more so because I trash talked everyone about how Bush would carve their defenses up :lol: ), but I was cool with it.

infantrycak
04-14-2012, 03:29 AM
Remember, it was near the end of a 6-10 season, the stands were mostly empty and tickets were readily available.

I am going to respectfully agree and disagree. Yes I believe in bad seasons tickets have been sold or given away to either opposing fans or less enthusiastic fans. In not having missed any Texan game yet I don't think any game hasn't had a peak attendance of about 70%. Yeah plenty of games where people have showed up late and/or left early but really I think the Texans have had excellent attendance. Under Capers they had the it is a young team loyalty thing going. Under Kubiak they have the we could score at any moment thing going. Or make up whatever interests you, people have attended the games not just bought the tickets although certainly attendance could be higher.

Personally I blame actual attendence on corporate ownership of seats. Over the past fifteen years I have frequently been assigned to find homes for corporate seats (not my own because they are damn well getting used) for both the Astros (like 9 rows up directly behind home plate), Rockets (court side) or Texans and had a hard time finding takers. And then to my great disappointment I would find out the people didn't even use them. Well f#$k if I had known that I would have given them to a buddy who was motivated enough to use them. I'd much rather get a ticket to a friend than some non-caring corporate employee who doesn't even give a rat's butt.

Corrosion
04-14-2012, 05:41 AM
BTW,

In a heartbeat .... Ngata < MW.

BTW Toro on Parade , your sig doesnt meet the forum guidelines found here (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/announcement.php?f=47)

redwhiteblue
04-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Texans weren't going to use their #1 pick on ngata when they used their #1 pick on Travis johnson the year before

NastyNate
04-14-2012, 08:35 AM
In a heartbeat .... Ngata < MW.

BTW Toro on Parade , your sig doesnt meet the forum guidelines found here (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/announcement.php?f=47)

I think you mean Ngata > Mario

NastyNate
04-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Career stats:

Ngata:

Mario Williams:

That's what

How do you compare a 3-4 NT versus a 4-3 DE based purely on sack/tackle numbers? That's extremely short sighted. Ngata all day.

burro
04-14-2012, 03:57 PM
This article is a joke. The only person I remember being seriously miffed about the pick in '06 was Mattress Mack and his furniture sucks anyway.

Mario Williams was a damn fine player who was the victim of injuries and high expectations. I would wish him success in Buffalo, but for obvious reasons I already wish an eon of fail on the Bills; so I will only wish him good health and a long career. Happy trails.

Playoffs
04-14-2012, 04:28 PM
NFL.com did a 2006 draft top 10 re-do (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f380d0/article/texans-nailed-their-06-firstrounder-but-not-many-others-did) a while back:

1. Houston Texans
Actual pick: Mario Williams
Do-over pick: Williams

Houston got it right with Williams, who is a physically imposing defensive end. He had a career-high 14 sacks in 2007 and followed that up with a 12-sack season, but hasn't registered a double-digit sack season since. The Texans never got the guy opposite him to take full advantage of Williams' skill set.

2. New Orleans Saints
Actual pick: Reggie Bush
Do-over pick: Maurice Jones-Drew

Jones-Drew came out of UCLA with a big chip on his shoulder, and the first time I interviewed him after the draft he proclaimed that he was better than Reggie Bush. The numbers don't lie at this point: Bush has 4,232 total yards and 29 touchdowns; MJD has 7,347 total yards and 61 touchdowns. Enough said.

3. Tennessee Titans
Actual pick: Vince Young
Do-over pick: Jay Cutler

Tennessee gave mixed messages after drafting Young. Owner Bud Adams wanted him, and it sounded like the coaches were in favor of Leinart. Remember, former USC offensive coordinator Norm Chow ran the Titans' offense at the time and had worked with Leinart in college. The club probably should have selected the local favorite from Vanderbilt, Jay Cutler.

4. New York Jets
Actual pick: D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Do-over pick: Ferguson

The Jets were training on Long Island when they drafted Ferguson, who grew up five miles from the facility. I've said it many times: A solid offensive tackle is a safe pick. The Jets protected him for a few years while he gained strength and improved his technique. He has started all 80 games that he has been with the Jets and has just nine holding calls against him.

5. Green Bay Packers
Actual pick: A.J. Hawk
Do-over pick: Vernon Davis

A.J. Hawk is a solid player, but whether it was Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers, Vernon Davis would be a weapon with Tony Gonzalez-like production at this point. Davis, even without the quarterback situation that exists in Green Bay, has done pretty well for himself in San Francisco, but who knows what his numbers could look like with Rodgers?

6. San Francisco 49ers
Actual pick: Vernon Davis
Do-over pick: Haloti Ngata

Obviously, Davis has been a solid pick for the 49ers, but it might have been wise to select Ngata, who has become one of the most dominating defensive linemen in the NFL. Ex-coach Mike Singletary might still be in San Francisco if he had built the defense around Ngata.

7. Oakland Raiders
Actual pick: Michael Huff
Do-over pick: Brandon Marshall

Huff has been an average safety at best and is probably done in Oakland. Marshall, meanwhile, already has three seasons of 100-plus receptions, all in the same division as the Raiders while with the Broncos. Owner Al Davis would have never traded Marshall, who would have reminded every Raiders fan of Tim Brown.

8. Buffalo Bills
Actual pick: Donte Whitner
Do-over pick: Greg Jennings

Whitner started out well as a rookie, but recently he looks like a guy no longer in the Bills' plans, especially with a new contract due soon. Jennings has become an elite wide receiver, and if he was teamed up with Lee Evans there would be no reason for talk of a new quarterback. Ryan Fitzpatrick would be up around 25 touchdowns per season.

9. Detroit Lions
Actual pick: Ernie Sims
Do-over pick: Nick Mangold

Sims is already gone from Detroit, while Mangold is going to be an All-Pro 10 times over. Mangold would make the run game better and anchor a pass-blocking unit that might do a better job of keeping Matthew Stafford upright -- and healthy.

10. Arizona Cardinals
Actual pick: Matt Leinart
Do-over pick: Tamba Hali

Leinart is the third-string quarterback in Houston right now, which is really all you need to know. The Cardinals are still looking for outside linebackers to rush the passer, and Hali has become a premiere rusher since the Chiefs went to a 3-4 scheme -- just like the Cardinals want to run.

Brisco_County
04-18-2012, 01:35 AM
The reaction the board had once he officially left says it all right there. Those wanting the guy back were definitely in the minority and in the end most were just "eh'" about him either way. Dude was always on the outside looking in houston....even if some fans weren't willing to admit it. So yeah, there's some level of truth to what the writer is saying, but it is overplayed a little.

After the national media hurled streams of baseless criticism at the Texans FO for not validating the media's own narrative of Reggie Bush as the next OJ Simpson, Texans fans naturally defaulted to the position of defending the Mario pick.

But six years later, it didn't seem there was a justifiable return for the premium being paid. That has a lot to do with injuries, but Zierlein identifies another important reason:

There are questions about how much Mario Williams loves football.*He has buddies who he rides (motorcycles) with who seem to believe that football is what he does for a living but it isn&rsquo;t what he loves.*That bothers me* I think it is important that your core players eat and sleep football and that they love it.*Mario has never really been that guy.

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2012/03/for-bills-fans-a-scouting-report-on-mario-williams/

Brian Cushing is the opposite of this. If Cushing's contract weren't extended, you'd see torches and pitchforks. But if your $80 million player lacks passion, it's no surprise when his exit is passionless.

beerlover
04-18-2012, 02:24 AM
After the national media hurled streams of baseless criticism at the Texans FO for not validating the media's own narrative of Reggie Bush as the next OJ Simpson, Texans fans naturally defaulted to the position of defending the Mario pick.

But six years later, it didn't seem there was a justifiable return for the premium being paid. That has a lot to do with injuries, but Zierlein identifies another important reason:

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2012/03/for-bills-fans-a-scouting-report-on-mario-williams/

Brian Cushing is the opposite of this. If Cushing's contract weren't extended, you'd see torches and pitchforks. But if your $80 million player lacks passion, it's no surprise when his exit is passionless.

Excellent post. Mario is & will always remain an enigma to Texan fan base.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Mario tweeted:
"Judgement Day November 4th!!"

I was a Mario guy and I wished him the best in Buffalo, but now it's on!! **** him!! The pansy probably won't even be on the field come November 4th.

Mr teX
04-18-2012, 10:34 AM

But see comments like LZ's are why i always end up defending this guy when i don't really mean to. Just b/c the guy has hobbies that he enjoys outside of football doesn't mean that he doesn't love football. I sat & specifically watched mario play here for 6 years & there was no indication that the guy was just out there to go thru the motions and get paid. When he got sacks and made plays, he was just as fired up as all the other sack specialists around the league.

You can still be a great player in this league without being one of those guys who doesn't know what do with onesself during the offseason and after your playing career is over. Barry Sanders was not an overly fiery player & he never engaged in silly dances and antics every time he juked someone out of his jock strap....Yet nobody questioned his love of the game when he walked away in his prime with the all-time rushing record within his reach....even though he has stated time and again in subsequent interviews that his loss of love for it is the exact reason why he retired. The same for guys like Jim Brown who left football to pursue his acting career, and Namdi Asomugha and his ACTS foundation that he participates in heavily in the offseason.

If anything, the ability of these guys to have separate identities away from the game should be commended b/c more than anything it probably signifies that they don't carry themselves like the typical entitled "star"....**coughs** Brett Favre.

Señor Stan
04-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Mario tweeted:

I was a Mario guy and I wished him the best in Buffalo, but now it's on!! **** him!! The pansy probably won't even be on the field come November 4th.

The only sack Mario Williams will see that day is after being pancaked by Duane Brown!

Texan_Bill
04-18-2012, 10:44 AM
The only sack Mario Williams will see that day is after being pancaked by Duane Brown!

HA!! Nice!

GP
04-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Mario tweeted:

It's funny how a guy changes his tune once his paychecks stop from Company A and he starts receiving them from Company B, isn't it?

THAT, IMO, is the definitive proof that Mario doesn't care about football. He cares about Mario. It's the perfect example of what LZ was saying: Mario doesn't have a passion for football, it's just the job he has in order to pay the bills so he can do the other things he likes to do.

Guys who respect the game, they don't tweet nonsense like Mario did. They understand that you move on. Yes, you should be motivated to play well against your former team...but to make it some sort of apex or pinnacle of your career??? No. It shows that he is only loyal to the green. So he was never really one of us, he was just on Team Mario all along.

Bradie James comes in and says "I understand I will have a limited role. That's OK with me. I just want to give veteran leadership because I remember what it was like to be young and not have that from the veterans above me." Paraphrased, of course. Mario would be a guy, IMO, who at the end of the day doesn't care to pass on any sort of legacy to younger players, or to help them, etc. He's on Team Mario. Team Mario is all that matters.

I've been over this at length, in prior posts about this topic, but I say it again: If all things were equal--the money from Texans was the same as the offer from the Bills--would he have left Houston for Buffalo? No. Not on your life. But he got paid more, a lot more, and that's the reason he left. Not because he loves football and wants a ring with Houston (who picked him above two other guys). No, he wants the cash. And guys like that have a funny way of being absent when it's time for them to answer the bell on game day.

He had a problem getting motivated and fired up, to perform his absolute best, when he was with the Texans. Outside of playing us in November, what other ways will Mario use to motivate himself now that he's the richest guy in the NFL? He's maxed out, and he knows it. I expect him to have a lackluster season. But...after all, he's adjusting back to the 4-3 Defense ya' know. It will take some time for him to acclimate to the weather, too. Yada, yada, yada....

drunkcookie
04-18-2012, 11:14 AM
I think if the Texans made the same offer as the Bills he still might habe split...

It was the perfect storm... The dude was drug through the coals by a very vocal minority... I don't think he really felt appreciated in Houston from day one... then he had to stand on the sidelines for 11 games and watch the D succeed without him, becoming one of the best Ds without him...

So he had to hear the fans not appreciating him (though a minority), then actually see the defense not need him...

In the end, it was a no-brainer he'd go IMO...

With that said, he needs a good helping of stfu come November... I was wishing the guy well, but he's beeing a whiney little beotch...

Brisco_County
04-18-2012, 08:55 PM
If anything, the ability of these guys to have separate identities away from the game should be commended b/c more than anything it probably signifies that they don't carry themselves like the typical entitled "star"....**coughs** Brett Favre.

His outside interests aren't really the point. The point is that he seemed to lack passion for the game. That lack of passion was always sensed by fans, but was never openly discussed because of avoidance of accusations of unfair criticism (or validating VY fanboys and media). But the feeling permeated, and it was a sense of oddness that a man with his physical ability was not among the most feared pass rushers in the game. He was indeed dominant at times, but if a pass rusher with his measurables --if he passionately loves the game-- has an appetite to destroy, then that appetite would be satisfied regularly. But he didn't, and that is why his name does not trigger the same response as names like Jared Allen or Demarcus Ware.

Note one of the positives from Zierlein's assessment of Mario:

* Mario’s long arms allow him the opportunity to be elite when it comes to setting the edge against the run. He rarely gets pushed very far off of his spot vs. the run, so it is tough to find substantial running lanes to his side at any point.

He addresses Mario's superior physical attribute, and then the potential it provides. After six years of watching Mario Williams, Zierlein speaks of his elite status conditionally, not factually. That says it all right there.

2slik4u
04-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Am I the only one that wants to punch Charlie Casserly in his smug face every time he comes on the CBS pre-game show and is titled the "GM expert"?

He is such a worthless piece of crap and its no suprise he is still out of work as a GM. That article makes me sick to my stomach. The only thing he ever did good for Houston was draft Mario. That still doesnt make up for his horrible picks for the previous 5+ years.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2012, 09:54 PM
**** Him!!! He's a punk-ass beyotch (with his comments) and now on my twitter "****-list"!!

Blew him up earlier and continuing now on blowing him up.... As SecondHoneymoon (aka @CardinalDoug on Twitter) can attest to.

*EDIT*
@DougVanHorne

Wolf
04-19-2012, 07:22 PM
I wonder why he even gives a ****. He knows and pretty much everyone in the league knows (besides buffalo) that they couldn't afford that contract.

On a side note , I don't recall Mario being to lively on twitter while with the Texans (I don't have twitter and don't follow it, but I don't recall anyone posting his tweets before he went to buffalo )

Anyway I guess it would be interesting to see him become the first 100 million dollar man to not make the playoffs. I do think he will get their eventually being the patriots ought to start declining being Brady is getting long in the tooth! Jets will implode, and the dolphins are the dolphins

False Start
04-19-2012, 07:50 PM
**** Him!!! He's a punk-ass beyotch (with his comments)

:littlelol:

I agree.

BullBlitz
04-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Mario tweeted:

He will be there. Should be fun.

Texan_Bill
04-20-2012, 08:46 AM
He will be there. Should be fun.

Watching from the sideline?? :specnatz:

Mr teX
04-20-2012, 09:29 AM

wrong post

Mr teX
04-20-2012, 10:04 AM
His outside interests aren't really the point. The point is that he seemed to lack passion for the game. That lack of passion was always sensed by fans, but was never openly discussed because of avoidance of accusations of unfair criticism (or validating VY fanboys and media). But the feeling permeated, and it was a sense of oddness that a man with his physical ability was not among the most feared pass rushers in the game. He was indeed dominant at times, but if a pass rusher with his measurables --if he passionately loves the game-- has an appetite to destroy, then that appetite would be satisfied regularly. But he didn't, and that is why his name does not trigger the same response as names like Jared Allen or Demarcus Ware.

Note one of the positives from Zierlein's assessment of Mario:

He addresses Mario's superior physical attribute, and then the potential it provides. After six years of watching Mario Williams, Zierlein speaks of his elite status conditionally, not factually. That says it all right there.

Lance isn't anymore credible than you or i when speaking on this issue b/c he was mainly watching the games on the tube just like we were. Mario's inconsistency dominating can be attributed to being injured a little too much more than anything else. The years he wasn't injured, he did dominate.....which is why coaches and GM's around the league still consider him a premier pass rusher in this league.

This is why I completely understood dalemurphy's main point (worth vs. production) about the whole mario debate despite us disagreeing on whether we should bring him back or not. The whole "motor" & "passion" thing though has always been something that has been overplayed here simply b/c his production hasn't matched up with what he was being paid then or his physical attributes. guys who lack passion for the game don't show up to training camp every year chizzled from granite like he did every year he was here..they don't play thru injuries all the time like he did & they certainly don't put up the sack totals in his 2 best injury-free seasons here that he did.

The overall point i'm trying to make is, you can't really make any sweeping generalizations about what's in a guy's heart/mind unless he's out there just completely dogging it......which mario wasn't.

CloakNNNdagger
04-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Interesting to go back and read some of Mario's draft profiles.

Teaming with Manny Lawson, Mario Williams has helped give NC St. the most feared edge rush duo in college football. As a freshman in 2003, Williams made an immediate impact. For the year he tallied 56 tackles, 13 for loss, and five sacks. He was named to everyone’s Frosh All American lists. As a sophomore, his numbers were almost identical. He finished with 57 tackles, 15 for loss, and six sacks. Williams upped his output for the season finishing with 62 tackles, 24 for loss, and 14.5 sacks.

There may not be a better physical specimen at any position in the draft. Williams has fantastic size for a defensive end, but couples that with supreme athleticism. He draws a lot of comparisons to Julius Peppers for his size and athleticism combination. Mario has the quickness off the line, the ability to change direction, and the closing speed to be a major factor as a pass rusher. But his height and bulk allow him to be a force against the run as well.

Despite being so talented, Williams has not dominated like he should. He just seems to disappear at times. For how big and athletic he is, he should just own opposing tackles. Perhaps that is because he still relies on his athleticism to make plays. Whatever the reason, it does cause some concern.

Williams may end up being the first defensive player selected in April. His upside is that tremendous. He is not as good a prospect as Julius Peppers was, because along with all his talent, Peppers dominated games too. But, the ability is there. Mario is a top 10 lock, and should land in the Top five of the draft.link (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/mario_williams.html)

nero THE zero
04-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Lance isn't anymore credible than you or i when speaking on this issue b/c he was mainly watching the games on the tube just like we were.
Maybe not, but I can confirm what LZ has said. I have a friend who met Mario 4-wheeling and dirtbiking somewhere in the city. They became friends and my friend has been to his house several times.

My friend, for the record, isn't a sports fan at all, and has confirmed that Mario's primary interests in life are cars and 4-wheeling toys.

Whether this is important to his football play is another debate. But, LZ's claims are true.

TimeKiller
04-20-2012, 01:32 PM
If all he heard was negative, I'd say "hear what you want to" in response.

I've had his jersey for a while now. And when he comes in a different jersey to play for a different team? I'm going to burn it in the parking lot to appease the football gods, chug a beer and go scream my heart out for the only team I'd do such a thing for.

GP
04-20-2012, 03:48 PM
When I purchased a jersey, I only considered a #80.

#90 was never an option because, quite frankly, I never felt like he gave a crap about football, nor about the Texans, to the same degree that #80 does.

I am glad I never bought a #90. To me, there was just always something off about him.

Mr teX
04-20-2012, 04:04 PM
I never buy jerseys period b/c guys can & do get traded/leave easily these days.

kiwitexansfan
04-20-2012, 04:27 PM
When I purchased a jersey, I only considered a #80.

#90 was never an option because, quite frankly, I never felt like he gave a crap about football, nor about the Texans, to the same degree that #80 does.

I am glad I never bought a #90. To me, there was just always something off about him.

I think this is a big deal. Desire is what makes decent good, and good great, and great legendary.

I think the current front office recognizes this with players like Watt.

I don't know if Smithiak would have drafted Carr or Williams for that reason alone.

redwhiteblue
04-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Mario reminds me of Dwight Howard. You look at Dwight Howard and think, this is a man among boys, he must dominate the game every night and put up 40&20. But he does not, and although he is still a great player, he will never get the undying praise from the fans and there will always be doubts about effort and passion.

redwhiteblue
04-20-2012, 10:04 PM
I don't know if Smithiak would have drafted Carr or Williams for that reason alone.

I think the drafting of Carr was a business decision. A new franchise needs a face of the franchise to sell tickets and publicity, and that resulted in Carr over peppers. Just like Jax taking a qb with their first selection in the expansion draft and the panthers drafting Kerry Collins with their first pick, a qb is a business decision, not a football decision, for a new franchise

CloakNNNdagger
04-21-2012, 08:34 AM
I think the drafting of Carr was a business decision. A new franchise needs a face of the franchise to sell tickets and publicity, and that resulted in Carr over peppers. Just like Jax taking a qb with their first selection in the expansion draft and the panthers drafting Kerry Collins with their first pick, a qb is a business decision, not a football decision, for a new franchise

Carr sure gave us the business!:shots:

False Start
04-21-2012, 08:49 AM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/mario-nerd-1-1.jpg

BullBlitz
04-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Watching from the sideline?? :specnatz:

No, making players from the opposition watch from the sideline.
:spy:

CloakNNNdagger
04-21-2012, 10:13 AM
This recent Mario interview rings somewhat contrasting in parts. Compare the video at 25-35" to 101-117".

VIDEO (http://www.scout.com/2/1179326.html)

GP
04-21-2012, 10:29 AM
This recent Mario interview rings somewhat contrasting in parts. Compare the video at 25-35" to 101-117".

VIDEO (http://www.scout.com/2/1179326.html)

So basically he thinks the fans hated him his whole time here. Because he begins by saying that the fans have received him in Buffalo to a degree he hasn't felt since college.

Then he says he has good memories of the Texans coaches/organization and appreciates all they did while he was there.

Fans = suck

Coaches = great

Why does he have this inferiority complex with the Texans fans? It feels so manufactured. But yet I sense he REALLY believes himself when he says it.

What an odd bird. I think he just has to find a chip to put on his shoulder. He's too big a puss to say anything about former coaches...so he lays his guilt trip onto the fans since they can't do anything to him. He has to look former coaches in the eye, he has to go shake their hands after the game, but he can say whatever he want about us fans and there's no repercussions. That's my theory.

What a puss. Just be a good sport, Mario. Nobody hated you here. We hated the state of the organization, not the players. You want to see some hate? Look at David Carr and Dunta Robinson. THOSE are two guys we loathed and were glad to see leave. Mario, just shut your pie hole about the Texans fans. Geez.

He's going to get boo'd for what he's saying about us, and then he can point to it and say, in an ESPN interview "You saw how they boo'd me when I came back. You see why I said what I said about the fans? They turn on you. That's how they are." All of this crap he's pulling right now, it dove tails right into what he wants to happen. He WANTS this to happen, to show how great he is and how bad he was treated when in Houston.

Dickwad.

False Start
04-21-2012, 10:52 AM
I used to have respect for the guy, and was on board with us picking him #1. Now though with all this smack talking he can....I'm gonna borrow a quote from Thorn.

Kiss MY ass!!