PDA

View Full Version : Texans Nightmare Pick

beerlover
04-06-2012, 10:12 AM
It's pushing 11:00pm on a Thursday evening late in April & Texans brain trust sits in New York waiting patiently to make their selection for Houston. Seems like three hours have passed already now our time is up to send the pick front & center to God himself so he can make the announcement to the football world. Already covered in sweat after processing 25 previous big, nervous & equally sweaty draft prospects, he advances to the podium wiping his brow.

Time stops, you drop everything your doing including your precious, beer (no not really). You struggle in agony, yell @ family/friends (soon to be ex) keep quiet & kick the dog for good measure, you are in the zone. Think damn it think, who is still available, followed by horror, who will the Texans take? Receivers you wanted are gone, as are all elite blue chip players @ every position of need. How did this happen? Your head is pounding, spinning hard (nothing to do with that empty 12pk laying harmlessly in the recycle tote). Feel nauseous, maybe a trip to the bathroom would relieve situation, but wait hold on can't miss the moment. Now your mind has gone completely blank, limp & empty can't think of a name or number worth the 26th pick, you start hoping that Texans trade down?

Then Goodell bends over his throne, I mean podium & announces, with the 26th selection in the 2012 NFL Draft the Houston Texans select.............. your worst nightmare pick.

Who is it____________________?

And Why___________________?

ckhouston
04-06-2012, 10:21 AM
It's pushing 11:00pm on a Thursday evening late in April & Texans brain trust sits in New York waiting patiently to make their selection for Houston. Seems like three hours have passed already now our time is up to send the pick front & center to God himself so he can make the announcement to the football world. Already covered in sweat after processing 25 previous big, nervous & equally sweaty draft prospects, he advances to the podium wiping his brow.

Time stops, you drop everything your doing including your precious, beer (no not really). You struggle in agony, yell @ family/friends (soon to be ex) keep quiet & kick the dog for good measure, you are in the zone. Think damn it think, who is still available, followed by horror, who will the Texans take? Receivers you wanted are gone, as are all elite blue chip players @ every position of need. How did this happen? Your head is pounding, spinning hard (nothing to do with that empty 12pk laying harmlessly in the recycle tote). Feel nauseous, maybe a trip to the bathroom would relieve situation, but wait hold on can't miss the moment. Now your mind has gone completely blank, limp & empty can't think of a name or number worth the 26th pick, you start hoping that Texans trade down?

Then Goodell bends over his throne, I mean podium & announces, with the 26th selection in the 2012 NFL Draft the Houston Texans select.............. your worst nightmare pick.

Fleener.

Basically just a beefed up WR. Doesn't block well.

I don't think he will make it that far, but if he does I would trade out and get something from a team who needs a receiving TE ... we don't.

rmartin65
04-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Randle. I dont see an NFL receiver when I watch him play.

TimeKiller
04-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Randle is a good choice. Just a big, fast guy who isn't really good at WR. If you hadn't said that I'd probably choose him. Stephen Hill would probably kill me. The guy is lightning fast, sure. Yeah, he came from a blocking school. Can he catch?

Texan_Bill
04-06-2012, 10:38 AM

HWSNBN

Because I would prompltly punch myself in the junk and then swallow a shotgun shell.

Texas T
04-06-2012, 10:44 AM
HWSNBN

Because I would prompltly punch myself in the junk and then swallow a shotgun shell.

I was just getting ready to say the same thing and I saw your message pop up. You never know they may pick the next HWSNBN!! Or the next J.J. Watt!

Honoring Earl 34
04-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Brian Anger P Cal , I just can't see drafting a punter in the 1st . :dancer:

b0ng
04-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Let's be perfectly honest here, if I don't know who it is, it's a bad pick.

beerlover
04-06-2012, 11:19 AM
I keep coming back to Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina. Concerns about his weight & work ethic, he impressed @ his Pro-Day after skipping working out @ the combine. He measured 6-3, weighed in @ 213lbs. Vertical 36.5 Broad Jump 10'2" & ran a 4.38 & 4.47 in his forty. Texans like big bodied WR's & if they can run fast well check that box now as well. I would rather take a shot with Fleener because he is consistent, durable, strong & smart. Jeffery scares the :eek: out of me & Texans are in the market for WR, regardless :overreact:

ckhouston
04-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Most of the girls at my office also use large blue text. :slapfight:

CloakNNNdagger
04-06-2012, 12:24 PM
http://media.englishrussia.com/fight_in_verkhovna_rada/3.jpg

Sorry, there seems to be lots of noise coming from the Texans booth. Seems like they're having a tough time deciding on their pick. Time has expired and we will have to move onto New England. New England is on the clock.........

SheTexan
04-06-2012, 01:03 PM

Sorry, there seems to be lots of noise coming from the Texans booth. Seems like they're having a tough time deciding on their pick. Time has expired and we will have to move onto New England. New England is on the clock.........

If Wade wins the battle over RS we might stand a chance. If not? Well, there's always next year!:slapfight:

ThaShark316
04-06-2012, 01:36 PM

You a fool, man..hahaha good stuff.

Nawzer
04-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Me. I can't play football.

clutch
04-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Dorell wright..

To short and to skinny..

BattleRedRock
04-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Fleener.

I don't think he will make it that far, but if he does I would trade out and get something from a team who needs a receiving TE ... we don't.

I was really thinking Fleener myself cause i know Kubiak has an obsession for TEs but i think Mo Sanu kinda scares me too, seems like a bit of a reach if they took him. maybe sanu or randle in the second rd would be ok but not in the first. Seems like all the mocks have the receivers slipping and us taken Wright but that kinda bothers me too just bc i feel hes more of a slot and we dont need another slot we need a legit #2.. that being said, i REALLY like LB Nick Perry out of USC

drs23
04-06-2012, 03:00 PM
I was really thinking Fleener myself cause i know Kubiak has an obsession for TEs but i think Mo Sanu kinda scares me too, seems like a bit of a reach if they took him. maybe sanu or randle in the second rd would be ok but not in the first. Seems like all the mocks have the receivers slipping and us taken Wright but that kinda bothers me too just bc i feel hes more of a slot and we dont need another slot we need a legit #2.. that being said, i REALLY like LB Nick Perry out of USC

And I bet Wade does too and has already bent Rick's ear.:turtle:

Wolf6151
04-06-2012, 06:35 PM
My "Nightmare Pick" is sure to be whoever Kubiak picks, I sure hope Phillips is in charge of this years draft as well. He did great last year, don't mess with what works.

badboy
04-06-2012, 07:40 PM

Sorry, there seems to be lots of noise coming from the Texans booth. Seems like they're having a tough time deciding on their pick. Time has expired and we will have to move onto New England. New England is on the clock.........Ok who is the guy in the choke hold, Gary?

badboy
04-06-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm going with ILB Vontaze Burfict

04-06-2012, 07:51 PM
I'm going with ILB Vontaze Burfict

no worries, he might not even get drafted, let alone be our 1st round pick.

pec0sb0b
04-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Kareem Jackson - a recurring nightmare.

Seriously, Alshon Jeffrey, and he reports to camp weighing 250.

WolverineFan
04-06-2012, 07:58 PM
I keep coming back to Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina. Concerns about his weight & work ethic, he impressed @ his Pro-Day after skipping working out @ the combine. He measured 6-3, weighed in @ 213lbs. Vertical 36.5 Broad Jump 10'2" & ran a 4.38 & 4.47 in his forty. Texans like big bodied WR's & if they can run fast well check that box now as well. I would rather take a shot with Fleener because he is consistent, durable, strong & smart. Jeffery scares the :eek: out of me & Texans are in the market for WR, regardless :overreact:

Uhhh...Jeffrey would piss me off.

Can't believe scouts actually fell for his pro day ploy and have moved him back up draft boards. A guy with a playing weight of 230+ runs the 40 at 213 lbs to impress scouts. What does he run when he puts that weight back on hmm?

mussop
04-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Fleener.

No one drafts TE's because of their blocking ability anymore. :vincepalm: The Patriots drafted two receiving TE's in 2010. Seems to have worked out pretty well for them. :brando:

Considering OD's injury history, size of contract, age and the fact that his backup has had one catch in his career, I would say TE is defiantly a need.

I just hope we don't reach for a WR with better talent like Fleener available. Take the BPA regardless of position except for the obvious.

Trap_Star
04-06-2012, 09:03 PM
fatshon jeffery, cause...

http://loserwithsocks.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/alshon-jeffrey-is-fat.jpg?w=640&h=359&crop=1

he'll have million$ of more reasons to not wanna work out after he gets drafted.

CloakNNNdagger
04-06-2012, 09:18 PM
fatshon jeffery, cause...

http://loserwithsocks.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/alshon-jeffrey-is-fat.jpg?w=640&h=359&crop=1

he'll have million$ of more reasons to not wanna work out after he gets drafted.

The breasts under his chest pads make it likely that he's been playing with some "gym candy" (without ever seeing a gym) or fooling around with funny cigarettes (and inhaling).:kitten:

badboy
04-06-2012, 09:50 PM
The breasts under his chest pads make it likely that he's been playing with some "gym candy" (without ever seeing a gym) or fooling around with funny cigarettes (and inhaling).:kitten:

I cannot believe you are talking about the fat man in red Santa Claus.

ubecool454
04-07-2012, 12:01 AM

If Jeffrey is there when we pick its a no brainer. He comes here and is automatically the #2 WR.

ubecool454
04-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Kareem Jackson - a recurring nightmare.

Seriously, Alshon Jeffrey, and he reports to camp weighing 250.

LOL if he does I guess we drafted another TE.:vincepalm:

ObsiWan
04-07-2012, 12:20 AM
ANY RB or QB in the first round would be a disaster.

actually, the more I think about it, we should parley our first round pick into extra later picks. We'll have to get really lucky for one of the top WRs or OLBs to be around @ #26. No OL guy that can start will be left there either. No other position pick that late has a legit chance to come in and start. And I don't care for the idea of drafting backups with our #1 pick.

Premier
04-07-2012, 03:44 AM
Alshon Jeffrey came into his proday at 213 pounds and ran a high 4.4

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/photo_images/6233655/20120328_jla_ay2_139.jpg

aussie_texan
04-07-2012, 05:27 AM
my nightmare pick would have to be Brandon Weeden. not because his a bad player just that it means schaub is not gonna be healthy and its career ending.

but honestly i think we'll be fine and we will have a great draft :homer:

DocBar
04-07-2012, 08:47 AM
McNair has a flashback and orders Smith to draft Boselli.

BullBlitz
04-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Any Rick Smith-generated pick of a defensive back. His history of selecting DBs has been absolutely horrid.

WolverineFan
04-07-2012, 10:03 AM

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/photo_images/6233655/20120328_jla_ay2_139.jpg

So what...?

His playing weight has always been around 230. All that tells me is he wasn't confident about his speed at that weight (hence shedding weight quickly for the combine, but not working out) and then focusing on running fast at his pro day.

There is literally no reason to put any stock in what he did at his pro day unless he is committing to play at that weight at the next level.

BattleRedRock
04-07-2012, 10:38 AM

Man that is ridiculous!! there are D-lineman in better shape than this guy! hell JJ Watt looks better than him and hes 6'6 290 etc.. If im his college coach im not letting him get on the practice field looking like he just left Golden Corral after about 3 hrs of eating non stop... and he is supposed to be a "skill guy"? IF we are going offense and that is set in stone, Fleener probably wouldnt be a bad pick after all but ive been watching a lot of games on STEPHEN HILL and he really does look like he has a lot of upside. his team really just wanted to utilize his speed more by running the reverse etc.. but when thrown too the guy has good hands...

phantom17
04-07-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm always nervous about the FO drafting someone in the 1st rd. I did agree & like the Watt pick! It's just when this FO becomes cute is what scares me, ala Kareem "fighting chicken" Jackson! And don't even bother to think what is the best pick for the team, bcuz they won't pick that player! lol!:vincepalm:

b0ng
04-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Smith and Kubiak's drafting overall has been pretty decent I'm not sure why some of you are acting like their the next Matt Millen. Even as bad as Kareem Jackson is perceived by some of you, he's certainly no Vernon Gholston or Jason Smith or what have you. I think some of you are forgetting just how awful Charley Casserly was at the draft game all of a sudden.

I'm not saying either of these guys are Ozzie Newsome or whatever, but come on, the guy who said Rick Smith's DB drafting history was horrible is full of it. Glover Quin in the 4th, Brice McCain in the 6th, Troy Nolan in the 7th is pretty much the opposite of horrible. And Kubiak's offensive picks have not been bad outside of Jacoby Jones, and even then, he's certainly not the most offensive 3rd rounder anybody has ever seen my lord. John freaking Beck was picked 40th overall by the Dolphins. JOHN BECK. Ted Ginn went like 9th overall. TED GINN.

Kubiak as a gameday coach and Rick Smith as a cap manager? Yeah, not that great. But these guys do a decent job in the draft, which gets our hopes up, which are usually dashed by about week 12, which makes us angry, repeat.

dtran04
04-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Hell, the Texans are probably a top 5 draft team when you actually look at each team's draft.

Compare any Colts, Titans, or Jaguars draft from recent years and it's not even close.

beerlover
04-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Ted Ginn went like 9th overall. TED GINN.

Aren't you forgetting pick #8?

bckey
04-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Aren't you forgetting pick #8?

Ouch! The one and only Amobi Okoye! Actually picked 10th after the trade with Atlanta.

Trap_Star
04-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Smith and Kubiak's drafting overall has been pretty decent I'm not sure why some of you are acting like their the next Matt Millen. Even as bad as Kareem Jackson is perceived by some of you, he's certainly no Vernon Gholston or Jason Smith or what have you. I think some of you are forgetting just how awful Charley Casserly was at the draft game all of a sudden.

I'm not saying either of these guys are Ozzie Newsome or whatever, but come on, the guy who said Rick Smith's DB drafting history was horrible is full of it. Glover Quin in the 4th, Brice McCain in the 6th, Troy Nolan in the 7th is pretty much the opposite of horrible. And Kubiak's offensive picks have not been bad outside of Jacoby Jones, and even then, he's certainly not the most offensive 3rd rounder anybody has ever seen my lord. John freaking Beck was picked 40th overall by the Dolphins. JOHN BECK. Ted Ginn went like 9th overall. TED GINN.

Kubiak as a gameday coach and Rick Smith as a cap manager? Yeah, not that great. But these guys do a decent job in the draft, which gets our hopes up, which are usually dashed by about week 12, which makes us angry, repeat.

A lot of people don't remember that when the dolphins took ginn, Adam Schefter came on air seconds later saying had the dolphins not taken ginn, we were going to with the 10th pick.

El Tejano
04-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Ryan Tannehill or whatever his name is.

beerlover
04-07-2012, 05:55 PM
The only stellar draft in the Rick Smith era was last year & one could argue Wade Phillips was the heavy handed defensive guru that wanted JJ Watt & Brooks Reed. I will give him credit however as a good listener :pop:

Now will Texans FO still listen? With both DeMeco & Mario gone I sure hope so, hence reason why I started this thread. To gauge the pulse of my fellow, knowledgeable Texan fans.

badboy
04-07-2012, 06:24 PM

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/photo_images/6233655/20120328_jla_ay2_139.jpgThat is exactly the problem.Which Jeffery do you get? The player who ballooned his last season or the one who dropped way below playing weight when he saw his status drop out of first round? Do you trust him to stay away from quarter pounders with cheese and chili fries when he has a million dollar deal? :bunpan:

TdotTexas2Step
04-07-2012, 06:38 PM
That is exactly the problem.Which Jeffery do you get? The player who ballooned his last season or the one who dropped way below playing weight when he saw his status drop out of first round? Do you trust him to stay away from quarter pounders with cheese and chili fries when he has a million dollar deal? :bunpan:

+1

When players suddenly drop weight before their pro day, then that should be a red flag. He had more than enough reasons to stay in shape all of last year, and he either couldn't or wouldn't.

Players typically gain weight when they enter the NFL, so big question marks with Jeffery.

steelbtexan
04-07-2012, 06:55 PM

1 playoff appearance in a decade. Rah-Rah-Rah

Decent is good enough for fans with low expectations. (Not me)

BullBlitz
04-07-2012, 08:12 PM
I just hope that they don't try to outsmart the rest of the league by drafting another small-school player like Jacoby.

redwhiteblue
04-07-2012, 09:54 PM
The only stellar draft in the Rick Smith era was last year & one could argue Wade Phillips was the heavy handed defensive guru that wanted JJ Watt & Brooks Reed. I will give him credit however as a good listener :pop:

Now will Texans FO still listen? With both DeMeco & Mario gone I sure hope so, hence reason why I started this thread. To gauge the pulse of my fellow, knowledgeable Texan fans.

2009 was a FAR better draft than 2011. Quit giving wade smith all the credit.

Cushing
Barwin
Caldwell
Quin
Casey
McCain
Nolan

2011 we got Watt and Reed. Both great, but behind them, what? Harris didn't play, Carmichael didn't play, Keo was ok on special teams, Yates was good, Newton barely played and Ozougwu didn't make the team

Also in 2009, Arian Foster.

redwhiteblue
04-07-2012, 09:58 PM
The only stellar draft in the Rick Smith era was last year & one could argue Wade Phillips was the heavy handed defensive guru that wanted JJ Watt & Brooks Reed. I will give him credit however as a good listener.

also go back and watch the press conference from Thursday night and Friday morning and it is very clear that wade Phillips wanted Aldon Smith ahead of everyone else. To his credit, Aldon smith looks to be a great player, but to give wade credit for putting his foot down and tell Rick smith to draft jj watt is ridiculous.

BullBlitz
04-07-2012, 10:19 PM
2009 was a FAR better draft than 2011. Quit giving wade smith all the credit.

Cushing
Barwin
Caldwell
Quin
Casey
McCain
Nolan

2011 we got Watt and Reed. Both great, but behind them, what? Harris didn't play, Carmichael didn't play, Keo was ok on special teams, Yates was good, Newton barely played and Ozougwu didn't make the team

Also in 2009, Arian Foster.

What a ridiculous response. First of all, it's Wade Phillips, not Wade Smith.

Second, it's unfair to compare a draft from 3 years ago, in which players have had time to grow, to a draft held 11 months ago. Looking at your 2009 list, only one player made an impact in his first year - Cushing. Last year both Watt and Reed did.

At least be intellectually honest if you are going to post.

TdotTexas2Step
04-07-2012, 10:38 PM

Second, it's unfair to compare a draft from 3 years ago, in which players have had time to grow, to a draft held 11 months ago. Looking at your 2009 list, only one player made an impact in his first year - Cushing. Last year both Watt and Reed did.

I agree with you, but I do want to point out that your logic also applies in redwhiteblue's favour as well.

You can't really compare them because who's to say Cushing, McCain, Nolan, and Quin don't play well in their rookie years if Wade was a part of the team then?

Wade knows how to put his players in a position to succeed and maximize their strengths, and I feel like he would have had a field day with the 2009 draft.

Secondly, no matter what happens with the development of 2011 draft, I don't think it's as far fetched to say that even 2 years from now, the 11 draft and the 09 draft can't be comparable.

redwhiteblue
04-07-2012, 10:58 PM

The argument wasn't which draft was better. The poster said that rick smith had only one spectacular draft, 2011. I was trying to point out that 2009 was great too. Don't discredit my argument because I made a typo with wade Phillips name.

redwhiteblue
04-07-2012, 11:01 PM
To me, a "ridiculous response" would be saying that this current front office has only had one good draft and wade Phillips came in and told everyone what to do

beerlover
04-07-2012, 11:03 PM
It's OK.

Basically the Texans first pick with exception of Andre Johnson in Casserly tenure were all nightmares IMO.

Rick Smith was hired as GM after the 2006 draft. So his tenure stretches from 07-2011 to date.

2007 Amobi Okoye - decent rookie season/all downhill from there/traded
2008 Duane Brown - hand picked by Gibbs/Rick Smith & Gary Kubiak let him build the OL into what it is today.
2009 Brian Cushing - terrific rookie year/down second season/plus year w/Phillips coaching
2010 Kareem Jackson - horrible rookie year/turnaround season once again because of Wade Phillips
2011 JJ Watt - Wade Phillips loved Watt as well as Aldon Smith (off the board) replaced Mario anyway & Williams would have had to play 5 tech instead of Watt but you know he couldn't ever stay healthy.

Rick Smith background is mostly secondary related while Kubiak is known as a guru of QB's. Honestly, Kubiak got off on the wrong foot in his own arena of strength which led to a couple unnecessarily painful seasons. Now I wouldn't mind if he just went ahead & handpicked a QB to develop every year, then start using them to trade up for higher picks.

Now should I add some color, change fonts & make my words bigger :scarygirl:

Thorn
04-07-2012, 11:26 PM
In a very real sense, it doesn't matter who they pick. Well, unless it's a QB or a RB this year. LOL Until the player is on the field playing with da big boys, we don't know how good he is anyway.

b0ng
04-08-2012, 12:31 AM

Please be understanding when I tell you that 2009 was a far superior draft as of right now if we're going to go ahead and say that 2011 was "stellar". Hell 2010 so far was far superior in the middle rounds as well. Sharpton, Mitchell, Tate and McManis all contributed plenty.

b0ng
04-08-2012, 12:35 AM
It's OK.

Basically the Texans first pick with exception of Andre Johnson in Casserly tenure were all nightmares IMO.

Rick Smith was hired as GM after the 2006 draft. So his tenure stretches from 07-2011 to date.

2007 Amobi Okoye - decent rookie season/all downhill from there/traded
2008 Duane Brown - hand picked by Gibbs/Rick Smith & Gary Kubiak let him build the OL into what it is today.
2009 Brian Cushing - terrific rookie year/down second season/plus year w/Phillips coaching
2010 Kareem Jackson - horrible rookie year/turnaround season once again because of Wade Phillips
2011 JJ Watt - Wade Phillips loved Watt as well as Aldon Smith (off the board) replaced Mario anyway & Williams would have had to play 5 tech instead of Watt but you know he couldn't ever stay healthy.

Rick Smith background is mostly secondary related while Kubiak is known as a guru of QB's. Honestly, Kubiak got off on the wrong foot in his own arena of strength which led to a couple unnecessarily painful seasons. Now I wouldn't mind if he just went ahead & handpicked a QB to develop every year, then start using them to trade up for higher picks.

Now should I add some color, change fonts & make my words bigger :scarygirl:

Right now I see not much reason to worry about whats going to happen in about 3 weeks, and so far, nobody here has posted anything even nearing convincing trying to get me to think otherwise. Smith and Kubiak do decent enough in the draft and treating them like they're Charley Casserly part deux is a little insulting.

Also, including only the first rounds is what's known as cherry picking. Lets see the whole thing:

Further information: 2007 NFL Draft
Round/Pick Player Position College
1/10 (from Atlanta) Amobi Okoye Defensive tackle Louisville - bust
3/73 Jacoby Jones Wide receiver Lane - Starter much to the chagrin of many
4/123 (from New Orleans) Fred Bennett Cornerback South Carolina - out of the league
5/144 Brandon Harrison Safety Stanford - out of the league
5/163 (from New Orleans) Brandon Frye Offensive tackle Virginia Tech - OOL
6/183 Kasey Studdard Offensive guard Texas - still on the team?
7/218 Zac Diles Linebacker Kansas State - played well, left in FA
[edit] 2008
Further information: 2008 NFL Draft
1/26 (from Baltimore) Duane Brown Offensive tackle Virginia Tech - can't give smith credit here lol
3/79 Antwaun Molden Cornerback Eastern Kentucky - cut/plays for patriots
3/89 (from Baltimore) Steve Slaton Running back West Virginia - on the dolphins
4/118 Xavier Adibi Linebacker Virginia Tech - Minnesota?
5/151 Frank Okam Defensive tackle Texas - Was on Bucs in 2011
6/173 (from Baltimore) Dominique Barber Safety Minnesota - OOL
7/223 Alex Brink Quarterback Washington State - OOL
[edit] 2009
Further information: 2009 NFL Draft
1/15 Brian Cushing Linebacker Southern California - lol no credit here
2/46 Connor Barwin Defensive end Cincinnati - starter
3/77 Antoine Caldwell Center Alabama - incumbent starter
4/112 Glover Quin Cornerback New Mexico -starter
4/122 (from Minnesota) Anthony Hill Tight end North Carolina State - injured
5/152 James Casey Tight end Rice - starter
6/188 Brice McCain Cornerback Utah - nickel corner
7/223 Troy Nolan Safety Arizona State - reserve safety, actually halfway decent
[edit] 2010
Further information: 2010 NFL Draft
1/20 Kareem Jackson Cornerback Alabama
2/58 (from New England) Ben Tate Running back Auburn
3/81 Earl Mitchell Defensive tackle Arizona
4/102 (from Kansas City) Darryl Sharpton Linebacker Miami (FL)
4/118 Garrett Graham Tight end Wisconsin
5/144 (from Kansas City) Sherrick McManis Cornerback Northwestern
6/187 Shelley Smith Offensive guard Colorado State
6/197 (from San Diego) Trindon Holliday Wide receiver LSU
7/227 Dorin Dickerson Tight end Pittsburgh
[edit] 2011
Further information: 2011 NFL Draft
1/11 J. J. Watt Defensive End Wisconsin
2/42 Brooks Reed Linebacker Arizona
2/60 (from New England) Brandon Harris Cornerback Miami (FL)
4/127 (from Washington) Rashad Carmichael Cornerback Virginia Tech
5/144 (from Washington) Shiloh Keo Safety Idaho
5/152 (from Washington) T. J. Yates Quarterback North Carolina
7/214 Derek Newton Offensive tackle Arkansas State
7/254 Cheta Ozougwu Defensive end Rice

Pretty much you're wrong

KA4Texan
04-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Me. I can't play football.

You kidding? I am a 32 year old with a 24 year on and off again relationship with cigs (keep trying to quit but I snap) so while I wouldn't be the BEST choice by far I wouldn't be the worst.

For that amount of money, plus my stubbornness PLUS my love of this team.

I would have the heart of Andre Johnson but on the field I would look more like Jimmy Johnson (the driver) where the only way I could go 100 yards fast is by car. ( Unless I can take breaks, gotta wheeze a bit)

Plus big guys wanting to hit me at full speed..... BIG motivator...... being able to leave a crappy job BIGGER motivator..... not being piled on by a bunch of dudes...... BIGGEST motivator.:lol:

beerlover
04-08-2012, 01:58 AM
Right now I see not much reason to worry about whats going to happen in about 3 weeks, and so far, nobody here has posted anything even nearing convincing trying to get me to think otherwise. Smith and Kubiak do decent enough in the draft and treating them like they're Charley Casserly part deux is a little insulting.

Also, including only the first rounds is what's known as cherry picking. Lets see the whole thing:

Further information: 2007 NFL Draft
1/10 (from Atlanta) Amobi Okoye Defensive tackle Louisville - bust
3/73 Jacoby Jones Wide receiver Lane - Starter much to the chagrin of many
4/123 (from New Orleans) Fred Bennett Cornerback South Carolina - out of the league
5/144 Brandon Harrison Safety Stanford - out of the league
5/163 (from New Orleans) Brandon Frye Offensive tackle Virginia Tech - OOL
6/183 Kasey Studdard Offensive guard Texas - still on the team?
7/218 Zac Diles Linebacker Kansas State - played well, left in FA
[edit] 2008
Further information: 2008 NFL Draft
1/26 (from Baltimore) Duane Brown Offensive tackle Virginia Tech - can't give smith credit here lol
3/79 Antwaun Molden Cornerback Eastern Kentucky - cut/plays for patriots
3/89 (from Baltimore) Steve Slaton Running back West Virginia - on the dolphins
4/118 Xavier Adibi Linebacker Virginia Tech - Minnesota?
5/151 Frank Okam Defensive tackle Texas - Was on Bucs in 2011
6/173 (from Baltimore) Dominique Barber Safety Minnesota - OOL
7/223 Alex Brink Quarterback Washington State - OOL
[edit] 2009
Further information: 2009 NFL Draft
1/15 Brian Cushing Linebacker Southern California - lol no credit here
2/46 Connor Barwin Defensive end Cincinnati - starter
3/77 Antoine Caldwell Center Alabama - incumbent starter
4/112 Glover Quin Cornerback New Mexico -starter
4/122 (from Minnesota) Anthony Hill Tight end North Carolina State - injured
5/152 James Casey Tight end Rice - starter
6/188 Brice McCain Cornerback Utah - nickel corner
7/223 Troy Nolan Safety Arizona State - reserve safety, actually halfway decent
[edit] 2010
Further information: 2010 NFL Draft
1/20 Kareem Jackson Cornerback Alabama
2/58 (from New England) Ben Tate Running back Auburn
3/81 Earl Mitchell Defensive tackle Arizona
4/102 (from Kansas City) Darryl Sharpton Linebacker Miami (FL)
4/118 Garrett Graham Tight end Wisconsin
5/144 (from Kansas City) Sherrick McManis Cornerback Northwestern
6/187 Shelley Smith Offensive guard Colorado State
6/197 (from San Diego) Trindon Holliday Wide receiver LSU
7/227 Dorin Dickerson Tight end Pittsburgh
[edit] 2011
Further information: 2011 NFL Draft
1/11 J. J. Watt Defensive End Wisconsin
2/42 Brooks Reed Linebacker Arizona
2/60 (from New England) Brandon Harris Cornerback Miami (FL)
4/127 (from Washington) Rashad Carmichael Cornerback Virginia Tech
5/144 (from Washington) Shiloh Keo Safety Idaho
5/152 (from Washington) T. J. Yates Quarterback North Carolina
7/214 Derek Newton Offensive tackle Arkansas State
7/254 Cheta Ozougwu Defensive end Rice

Pretty much you're wrong

Too many b0ng hits I guess, your still missing the point. Best Texans could do with all this talent assembled in 2010 was go 6-10. Then in steps Wade Phillips who not only put together the defensive puzzle, that had so eluded this organization, he identified the players in both Free Agency & the Draft who fit the system he wanted to implement. :wadepalm:

Norg
04-08-2012, 01:58 AM
i was flipin through PF Draft magazine today and for the texans it had us selecting some QB ... whos name i forgot i was like WTF LOL

everyone says we are going WR but i think if a Good Tackle falls to us we might snatch him up

i think ILB is a possible since we let demco go and Sharpton is coming off injury

Scooter
04-08-2012, 04:15 AM
i actually had a dream the night before last that we took ILB's in the first two rounds (is it football season yet?!?!?). i wasnt too pleased, and neither were the unidentifiable people around me.

i (and apparently my subconscious) are hoping we go with WR/OLB/OL in the first couple of rounds.

BattleRedRock
04-08-2012, 12:30 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth.. screw that mediocrity non sense, if your gonna come out since day one and say your building through the draft and not gonna take big name players from free agency(when they had the money) then you better be ON POINT with your draft picks because you have no room for error especially since our team has stay .500 for most of the decade giving us terrible draft picks

BattleRedRock
04-08-2012, 12:40 PM
also go back and watch the press conference from Thursday night and Friday morning and it is very clear that wade Phillips wanted Aldon Smith ahead of everyone else. To his credit, Aldon smith looks to be a great player, but to give wade credit for putting his foot down and tell Rick smith to draft jj watt is ridiculous.

your other post said "wade smith" haha.. anyway I am pretty positive Phillips did say to draft JJ Watt bc when they go in the draft war room they make a list of players so when aldon smith was taken they went to their next on the list a plan B.. its that simple

Dutchrudder
04-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Nightmare picks would be Dontari Poe and Stephen Hill. Both of these guys are workout warriors. They may turn out to be productive, but I don't want to take the risk.

ArlingtonTexan
04-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Nightmare picks would be Dontari Poe and Stephen Hill. Both of these guys are workout warriors. They may turn out to be productive, but I don't want to take the risk.

I think Poe is going to be long gone before the Texans pick.

The Texans seem to have a specific set of athletic profiles (per position) that they like in players especially in the early picks. Texans Chick is better at explaining this than I am, but they value athletic ability and high character over consistent proven production and true immediate impact.

The positive examples for this have been Daune Brown and Conner Barwin who did not have lots of playing time nor record extreme production coming out of college at the position that the Texans drafted to play. Stephen Hill fits that profile and is my predicted target for the Texans at the moment.

The Pencil Neck
04-08-2012, 11:17 PM

I don't know that I really agree with that assessment.

2011: JJ Watt, Brooks Reed, and then a bunch of guys most of us liked although we had to warm up to TJ Yates.

2010: Ben Tate, Earl Mitchell, Sharpton. Whether you hate KJ or not, that's a pretty good draft.

2009: 2-time DROY Cushing, Connor Barwin, Glover Quin, James Casey, Brice McCain. That's a stellar draft.

2008: Duane Brown, Steve Slaton. This looked for a year like it was going to be a stellar draft until Slaton fell back to earth.

2007: Okoye, Jacoby Jones, Fred Bennett, Brandon Harrison. It looked good at first but after a couple of years became a horrible, horrible draft.

I'd say the only bad draft in the Smithiak regime was the 2007 draft. All the other ones were at least good, and at least a couple (2009, 2011) were great. 2010 might turn out to be a great draft as well.

Maddict5
04-08-2012, 11:52 PM

first off, congrats on your high standards. im not sure how it makes any difference whatsoever but bully to you for being more critical than other fans.

im actually with bong & those other easy fans on this one though. what you've posted isnt actually relevant to this discussion. results and draft performance dont always go hand in hand for various reasons. when this happens, its easy to be hypercritical and say the texans suck at every aspect of their jobs but if you go thru each draft and compare the #'s of good players the texans have taken, their record is pretty good.

obvious there are examples of poor picks- amobi being the prime example but overall the texans drafts over the last 6 yrs stack up favourably with nearly anybody in the league. a bit telling that you went off on a 'middling results' tangent instead of listing all the team that supposedly draft better than those middling texans.

its the reason they were the 'on the brink' preseason favourites the last few yrs and why got so far last yr despite alot of injuries and were generally regarded as the deepest team in the nfl.

kiwitexansfan
04-09-2012, 04:15 AM
Can we stop the Okoye was a bust talk. He started for four years for us. If that is the standard for bust there would be soooooooo many first round busts.

Dude is still 24, will probably play for another 10 years in the league.

What a huge bust!

WolverineFan
04-09-2012, 10:03 AM

The Texans seem to have a specific set of athletic profiles (per position) that they like in players especially in the early picks. Texans Chick is better at explaining this than I am, but they value athletic ability and high character over consistent proven production and true immediate impact.

The positive examples for this have been Daune Brown and Conner Barwin who did not have lots of playing time nor record extreme production coming out of college at the position that the Texans drafted to play. Stephen Hill fits that profile and is my predicted target for the Texans at the moment.

I think Poe will bust straight out. I think Hill has a ton of potential, but he's a project. Anybody wanting us to upgrade WR for 2012 would be wise to take someone else or take multiple WR's early. If the Texans are targeting Hill then I expect another WR in the 3rd round who will contribute immediately.

A lot of people don't seem to understand that while taking Hill wouldn't be a bad pick, he would do nothing for us in 2012 and it's been the consensus that we need an immediate upgrade at WR.

Grabbing Hill in the 1st and Marvin Jones in the 2nd or 3rd would be a great haul but we have plenty of other needs so that doesn't seem reasonable. I would prefer to skip on Hill altogether and grab a guy who can be a #2 right now and hit our other needs.

Doppelganger
04-09-2012, 10:20 AM

When Phillips decides to retire, he should immediately be hired as the Draft consultant.

beerlover
04-09-2012, 10:30 AM
When Phillips decides to retire, he should immediately be hired as the Draft consultant.

:toast2:

BigBull17
04-09-2012, 10:41 AM

Um, Cushing, Barwin, mcCain, Nolan and Quin in the same draft is pretty solid, TBH. Add to that Foster as an UDFA and you cant say he did a bad job.

BigBull17
04-09-2012, 10:45 AM

I agree. Two guys who did well at the combine and never really had an impact in collage. Poe scares me more, because he should have dominated C-USA and didn't. At least Hill does have an asterix since they ran triple option.

Blake
04-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Stephen Hill
Alshon Jeffery
Mike Adams
Jerel Worthy

Dutchrudder
04-09-2012, 12:29 PM

Duane Brown started 3 years at OT and a year at TE before that. For an o-linemen, that's about as much as you can ask for.

Barwin on the other hand was kind of a weird one. He was a TE and then converted to DE his senior season. Got 10 sacks that year though, so it's not like he came out of nowhere. He showed a lot of potential, so we took him in the mid-2nd round.

In contrast, Hill started all of the games last year as a WR and had 28 receptions for 820 yards and 5 TDs. He dropped a lot of passes though. I really don't like the idea of taking a guy like that with our first. If we trade back to the 2nd, maybe, but he's a boom or bust guy with a long road of development ahead of him. I would much rather get a guy who knows how to play WR like Kendall Wright. Same type of player if you're looking for a burner as a #2 WR. He can't block very well though, so I'm sure that will be the deciding factor with Kubes.

silvrhand
04-09-2012, 12:42 PM
The texans have announced that they have traded their first round pick to the jets for Tim Tebow!

beerlover
04-09-2012, 12:44 PM
The texans have announced that they have traded their first round pick to the jets for Tim Tebow!

bless you my son :fostering:

ArlingtonTexan
04-09-2012, 03:02 PM
I think Poe will bust straight out. I think Hill has a ton of potential, but he's a project. Anybody wanting us to upgrade WR for 2012 would be wise to take someone else or take multiple WR's early. If the Texans are targeting Hill then I expect another WR in the 3rd round who will contribute immediately.

A lot of people don't seem to understand that while taking Hill wouldn't be a bad pick, he would do nothing for us in 2012 and it's been the consensus that we need an immediate upgrade at WR.

Grabbing Hill in the 1st and Marvin Jones in the 2nd or 3rd would be a great haul but we have plenty of other needs so that doesn't seem reasonable. I would prefer to skip on Hill altogether and grab a guy who can be a #2 right now and hit our other needs.

Duane Brown started 3 years at OT and a year at TE before that. For an o-linemen, that's about as much as you can ask for.

Barwin on the other hand was kind of a weird one. He was a TE and then converted to DE his senior season. Got 10 sacks that year though, so it's not like he came out of nowhere. He showed a lot of potential, so we took him in the mid-2nd round.

In contrast, Hill started all of the games last year as a WR and had 28 receptions for 820 yards and 5 TDs. He dropped a lot of passes though. I really don't like the idea of taking a guy like that with our first. If we trade back to the 2nd, maybe, but he's a boom or bust guy with a long road of development ahead of him. I would much rather get a guy who knows how to play WR like Kendall Wright. Same type of player if you're looking for a burner as a #2 WR. He can't block very well though, so I'm sure that will be the deciding factor with Kubes.

I thought that Brown only played one year at OLT (will conceed RT) at Va Tech was just okay and was largely considered by draftniks as a "reach" and maybe better suited to play else where on the OL.

Barwin just flashed pure athlete skill and was more raw as pass rusher than Hill is a WR.

Given where the Texans are drafting , I don't think there is a perfect "1st round" talent especially at WR. My guess is that none of the guys will just cleanly send Walter to the bench or 3rd WR (nor make Jacoby irrelevent). I think more of a time share like Brown did in year 1, no matter who is listed as the starter.

BTW, the name I keep seeing on national mocks is Rueben Randle.

Wolf6151
04-09-2012, 03:08 PM

OMG, that the best "Nightmare" pick their is.

disaacks3
04-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Can we stop the Okoye was a bust talk. He started for four years for us. If that is the standard for bust there would be soooooooo many first round busts.

Dude is still 24, will probably play for another 10 years in the league.

What a huge bust! Top ten picks are supposed to be impact players / stars. Not guys that can start, not guys that can be journeymen in this league, S-T-A-R-S!!

As a first-round, top 10 pick, he's a bust.

Dutchrudder
04-09-2012, 04:02 PM
I thought that Brown only played one year at OLT (will conceed RT) at Va Tech was just okay and was largely considered by draftniks as a "reach" and maybe better suited to play else where on the OL.

Well, from wiki alone:

College career

After red shirting his freshman year, Brown played in all 13 games in 2004, and caught his first collegiate pass against Western Michigan University that went for a touchdown. In 2005, he moved from tight end to offensive tackle, where he started every game and played in 673 offensive snaps during the regular season.[3]

As a junior, Brown earned second-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference recognition and was voted state Offensive Lineman/End of the Year by the Richmond Touchdown Club.[4] During his senior season in 2007, Brown switched to left offensive tackle and earned second-team All-ACC honors and Offensive Lineman/End of the Year by the Richmond Touchdown Club for the second consecutive year

You don't make the second All-ACC team as a backup, so I can only assume he was starting in at least his junior year. Plenty of film on him and he played at a big school. I wasn't around here when he was drafted, but he certainly had enough gametime to be evaluated properly.

Barwin just flashed pure athlete skill and was more raw as pass rusher than Hill is a WR.

Ok, but my point is that Hill drops a lot of passes and may not turn out to be an NFL WR at the next level. Yes he can run fast and he's tall, but that's about it. He's very unpolished, and learning to play WR in the NFL is very different from learning to play DE in a 4-3. Hill is only being considered in the 1st because he ran a fast 40 time, he would be a 2nd/3rd round guy otherwise, and I can't be happy with a pick like that at #26. Too much JJ and not enough AJ for me, that's why I put him in the "nightmare pick" discussion.

Given where the Texans are drafting , I don't think there is a perfect "1st round" talent especially at WR. My guess is that none of the guys will just cleanly send Walter to the bench or 3rd WR (nor make Jacoby irrelevent). I think more of a time share like Brown did in year 1, no matter who is listed as the starter.

BTW, the name I keep seeing on national mocks is Rueben Randle.

Yeah I can agree with that. I'm not sold on Wright either, but I think he's the best WR option at 26. The real value at WR in this draft is in the 2/3/4 rounds though. Would much rather see an OT, ILB, OLB or NT taken at 26 than a WR. With the way mocks have been changing lately, it's possible OT Jonathan Martin may be there at 26. That would be an interesting pick. Ideally I would like us to trade down and pick up a 3rd.

Thorn
04-09-2012, 04:04 PM

:lol:

Good one. Can you image the outcry on this board if that actually happened! My God, all the mods would resign and they'd have to shut the board down. LOL

redwhiteblue
04-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Will texans consider a trade into top 10? Half the teams in top 10 are shopping their pick
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/rob-rang/18425809/nfl-exec-half-of-the-teams-in-the-top-10-are-trying-to-trade-out

ArlingtonTexan
04-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Will texans consider a trade into top 10? Half the teams in top 10 are shopping their pick
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/rob-rang/18425809/nfl-exec-half-of-the-teams-in-the-top-10-are-trying-to-trade-out

I would be shocked. Especially with the Texans losing so much depth this off-season, trading up multiple picks probably including 2013's 1st into the range of very good not great players would seem to be counter productive. They are not 1 player @ ----- position, imo from being a clear Superbowl team.

ObsiWan
04-09-2012, 06:03 PM

Attention!
The tar & feathering of the Texans' front office AND Bob McNair has been re-scheduled for the first weekend of OTAs.
http://wordspy.com/graphics/torch-and-pitchfork.jpg http://www.kenoshanews.com/news/277418467_620.jpg
Since, this season, OTAs will occur before the draft this will give us time to install a new front office and for Bob McNair to heal sufficiently enough to sign all necessary paperwork and agree to whoever the fans deem worthy of being the new HC, GM, OC, DC, and head scout.

However, should Mr. McNair, et. al. rescind/revoke the Tebow-for-1st-rd-pick trade, the planned tar & feathering activities will be postponed until mid-season. The necessity for said activity will be reassessed at that time.

Additionally, we are asking all participants to PLEASE retain your tar, feathers, pitchforks, and torches should they be needed at that time. As we are on a limited budget, said supplies will NOT be re-issued. If you frivoulously exhaust/consume/expend said supplies (on politicians, bad drivers, slacker teenage offspring, offensive officemates, and/or fellow posters) you will be expected to replenish them at your own expense.

Thank you.

ArlingtonTexan
04-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Well, from wiki alone:

You don't make the second All-ACC team as a backup, so I can only assume he was starting in at least his junior year. Plenty of film on him and he played at a big school. I wasn't around here when he was drafted, but he certainly had enough gametime to be evaluated properly.

Ok, but my point is that Hill drops a lot of passes and may not turn out to be an NFL WR at the next level. Yes he can run fast and he's tall, but that's about it. He's very unpolished, and learning to play WR in the NFL is very different from learning to play DE in a 4-3. Hill is only being considered in the 1st because he ran a fast 40 time, he would be a 2nd/3rd round guy otherwise, and I can't be happy with a pick like that at #26. Too much JJ and not enough AJ for me, that's why I put him in the "nightmare pick" discussion.

Yeah I can agree with that. I'm not sold on Wright either, but I think he's the best WR option at 26. The real value at WR in this draft is in the 2/3/4 rounds though. Would much rather see an OT, ILB, OLB or NT taken at 26 than a WR. With the way mocks have been changing lately, it's possible OT Jonathan Martin may be there at 26. That would be an interesting pick. Ideally I would like us to trade down and pick up a 3rd.

On Hill, the bottom line is how much are you a ceiling versus floor guy.

What's funny is that our conclusions are pretty close. My hope is that there is a true dropper in the 1st round (any position) so that the TExans are not forcing any position (especially WR) at the bottom of the first.

steelbtexan
04-09-2012, 06:40 PM
first off, congrats on your high standards. im not sure how it makes any difference whatsoever but bully to you for being more critical than other fans.

im actually with bong & those other easy fans on this one though. what you've posted isnt actually relevant to this discussion. results and draft performance dont always go hand in hand for various reasons. when this happens, its easy to be hypercritical and say the texans suck at every aspect of their jobs but if you go thru each draft and compare the #'s of good players the texans have taken, their record is pretty good.

obvious there are examples of poor picks- amobi being the prime example but overall the texans drafts over the last 6 yrs stack up favourably with nearly anybody in the league. a bit telling that you went o
ff on a 'middling results' tangent instead of listing all the team that supposedly draft better than those middling texans.

its the reason they were the 'on the brink' preseason favourites the last few yrs and why got so far last yr despite alot of injuries and were generally regarded as the deepest team in the nfl.

Total BS,

1. If the entire fanbase held BoB to a higher standard the on field product would've been better a long time ago.
2. Shocking that you would agree with bong. If the draft and FA aren't the major factors in putting a winning product on the field I dont know what is.
3. The Texans have been a 7-9,8-8,7-9 for yrs until last yr. If that's not the definition of middling I dont know what is. BoB spending the $$$$ in FA on JoJo and Manning is a major reason for the Texans making the playoffs for the 1st time since their inception.
4. The Texans dont suck at everything they do and if you think that's what I'm saying, you're wrong. Their draft record other than 2009 has been spotty at best under Smith. Last yrs draft produced 2 starters (hopefully more picks will grow into starters.) The OkOye draft was terrible, D.Brown was a Gibbs pick, 2009 draft was great, KJ draft was avg at best, last yrs draft was an above avg draft with potential to be way above avg. Atleast this is the way I see it once all of the spin is removed.

And I dont expect you to agree with me. But it's interesting to see how others view the Texans. The way I see this offseason is, they lost the depth that helped them overcome injuries/KJ last yr. (Hopefully KJ keeps improving) This removes Ricks (Gary/Wade) margin of error entering this yrs draft. They either need a 2009 type draft, or they need to be incredibly lucky and avoid injuries.

kiwitexansfan
04-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Top ten picks are supposed to be impact players / stars. Not guys that can start, not guys that can be journeymen in this league, S-T-A-R-S!!

As a first-round, top 10 pick, he's a bust.

He has not lived up to the hope the FO had in him, he is a disappointment but in my book to be a bust is to never produce and be out of the league.

By your definition of the player having to be a STAR to be a first round draft success, of the 32 players taken in the first round of the 2007 draft there are in my book 27 BUSTS.

The only stars in that first round being, Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis, Darrelle Revis.

welsh texan
04-09-2012, 07:52 PM
He has not lived up to the hope the FO had in him, he is a disappointment but in my book to be a bust is to never produce and be out of the league.

By your definition of the player having to be a STAR to be a first round draft success, of the 32 players taken in the first round of the 2007 draft there are in my book 27 BUSTS.

The only stars in that first round being, Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis, Darrelle Revis.

I hope the FO learnt their lesson with that pick. They drafted a project for need which is always going to be a horrid combination. By the numbers Okoye didn't have a terrible season last year and he has caught on with another team, plenty of guys haven't even been drafted at his age so maybe he'll turn into a decent player at some stage. But they drafted this kid that wasn't going to start maturing for another 5 years as their starting DT, and placed him next to a bust DT playing NT and expected it to work.

As for my nightmare pick? Texans use their 1st rounder on a QB, and straight away I'm thinking ****, Schaub is done and its in the lap of the Gods how long its going to take us to find another QB good enough.

Rey
04-09-2012, 10:05 PM

I agree that I'd like a more polished receiver, but I disagree that hill would be a bad pick or wouldn't do anything for us in 2012.

I agree that he'd likely take a while to completely understand the system, but in the meantime he could run a select few routes and give us a better down field receiving game. Take jacoby and/or kw off the field some.

In the mock draft we did I selected him for San Fran. I think that, kind of like ours, would be a perfect situation for him. He wouldn't have to be the man right away there and could learn behind moss and crabcakes.

I think here he could be eased along slowly as well, but begin to take on more of a role as the season wore on.

Personally, I'd rather have Alshon early and streeter late, but I wouldn't complain about picking up hill. The ability is there.

Rey
04-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Nightmare pick: Keenum in the first.

For a few reasons:

1) the schaub implications
2) too early for him
3) I'll have to hear 76 texan's mouth :kitten:

ObsiWan
04-10-2012, 01:44 AM

For a few reasons:

2) too early for him

Do you have those in the correct order?
:D

drs23
04-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Do you have those in the correct order?
:D

ZZZZZZZZZING! :pirate:

False Start
04-10-2012, 05:34 PM

For a few reasons:

2) too early for him

I would jump off my balcony if they did that, lol.

I'm not a real draft type guy, but a WTF pick for me would be a guard in the first round. A tackle I wouldn't mind, but I think we will be alright at guard. Now, maybe in the later rounds I would have no problem with drafting a guard.

BigSmooth1269
04-11-2012, 12:27 AM
I would be pretty upset if we took Mike Adams. There is something about him that just says "blah." Also I just don't see a need for a first round tackle or guard. Lots of these guys are maulers and we need the athletic converted TE type. A QB obviously would make me an angry fan here in NJ, also I think unless Alex Barron falls to who I think is a tad overrated because of another less then stellar safety draft. RB and C would make me give the wtf face.

I think Hill would be a great heir to Dre pick. Worstcomes to worst he is a deep threat that takes the safeties away from Dre. He can block is a big fast physical receiver. That's what we want and we have no dire needs. Developmental depth would be good. Do you pull the trigger on Janoris Jenkins? I do. He is a great top 5 talent if he didn't have a mental lapse. The NFL gives second chances and he has stayed out of trouble for a bi, remember Jared Allen got 2 DUIs and thn said "let me get that loot" and has been cool since. I mean I even like KJ he was solid last year and I'll take it when JJ basically shuts out the number 1.

Opinions? Yeah I'm new here