PDA

View Full Version : Vance Joseph talks defensive backs

redwhiteblue
04-03-2012, 08:19 PM
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/04/03/mccain-is-the-best-nickle-corner-in-the-nfl/

He says an important part of Kareem Jackson's improvement from year one to year two was him dropping from 200-185 pounds, and that last year he was a lockdown corner from 15-20 yards. He also says he likes Roc Carmichael and that Brandon Harris also needs to get down to 185 from 200 pounds to increase his speed.

About a 10 minute interview, a great listen.

beerlover
04-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Listened to it live & can tell why Joseph is a good coach, does a nice job keeping things positive while building a better skill set. He is also fully invested in his players & believes in them.

redwhiteblue
04-03-2012, 10:00 PM
It was nice to hear a coach speak in specifics on how his players can improve and what the plan of action is instead of just broad generalized terms

drs23
04-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Great piece. Vance Joseph was a fantastic hire, IMO. Can't wait to see what he can do with ALL the DBs with a full off season.

Thanks much for posting that.

Malloy
04-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Very impressed by Vance Joseph, and I love the stuff he says about KJ.

Fantastic coach! :)

Wolf6151
04-04-2012, 02:50 AM
Wow great interview, I'm very impressed by Vance Joseph. It's amazing the difference it makes when you hire real positional coaches instead of your unqualified buddies.

GP
04-04-2012, 09:28 AM
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/04/03/mccain-is-the-best-nickle-corner-in-the-nfl/

He says an important part of Kareem Jackson's improvement from year one to year two was him dropping from 200-185 pounds, and that last year he was a lockdown corner from 15-20 yards.

A lockdown corner from 15-20 yards? This mirrors what a lot of us have been saying on here: He handles the shallow stuff very well, but he's a lost soul in the deep game.

Will listen to the interview and see if he addresses how to make KJ better 20+ yards down the field.

BullNation4Life
04-04-2012, 09:41 AM

He says an important part of Kareem Jackson's improvement from year one to year two was him dropping from 200-185 pounds, and that last year he was a lockdown corner from 15-20 yards. He also says he likes Roc Carmichael and that Brandon Harris also needs to get down to 185 from 200 pounds to increase his speed.

About a 10 minute interview, a great listen.

Basically telling teams to throw it deep on Kareem Jackson because after 20 yards, he can't keep up....

Not smart Vance. Then again, nothing teams didn't already know....

El Tejano
04-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Basically telling teams to throw it deep on Kareem Jackson because after 20 yards, he can't keep up....

He knows QBs aren't going to get that long to set up for the long throws.

GP
04-04-2012, 09:47 AM

Yeah, he's not sharing super secret information on KJ's positives and negatives. LOL.

badboy
04-04-2012, 02:24 PM
So we need to draft heavy at safety cause they gonna have their legs run off.

GP
04-04-2012, 02:40 PM
So we need to draft heavy at safety cause they gonna have their legs run off.

I have a feeling the nickel package will be employed for 16+ games in 2012.

badboy
04-04-2012, 03:58 PM

:fingergun:

76Texan
04-04-2012, 05:32 PM

One.

The nickel package is in to defend against 3 wide receiver set, not to give extra safety help

With the Colts almost-certain move to a West Coast offense, the Texans will see fewer 3-receiver sets from them.

The Titans weren't a spread offense, and that shouldn't change.

Neither were the Jags. If anything, the arrival of Mularkey probably means a few 3-back sets.

Against those 3 teams, the Texans should be in fewer nickel packages than they were last year.

Two.

The Texans were in single safety and zero coverage with Jackson in there more often than with Allen.

In fact, it just so happened that Jackson received less actual safety support than JJo did. It wasn't by design, but it was what it was.

ObsiWan
04-05-2012, 12:30 AM
He knows QBs aren't going to get that long to set up for the long throws.

you beat me to it.
:D

TimeKiller
04-05-2012, 11:52 AM
I wonder how many guys experience some form of this problem. In the era of bigger, stronger, faster guys train up for combine drills instead of football drills. Maybe a guy like KJ doesn't get drafted 1st round if he can't put up the kind of measurables he did when really, what matters is his ability to play football, not weighing-in impressively....

badboy
04-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Mr. Joseph, just when I start believing you might know what you are doing I read that Texans are visiting lower round corners. Why if we have several on roster do we need another? Even in later rounds go with other positions! Or maybe I was wrong to start hoping......

Kthx
04-06-2012, 10:53 PM
I don't see a problem with us looking anywhere for anything, maybe we can find a value player late in the draft who has matured and learned about since having a rough outing in college. I would rather us draft a CB we can let learn under JJo and with Wade than another Trindon Holliday.

badboy
04-06-2012, 11:01 PM
I don't see a problem with us looking anywhere for anything, maybe we can find a value player late in the draft who has matured and learned about since having a rough outing in college. I would rather us draft a CB we can let learn under JJo and with Wade than another Trindon Holliday.WHy do either and just for record Holliday remains on roster.

Kthx
04-06-2012, 11:03 PM
The guys a ping pong ball on the texans roster table is more like it, besides we have to draft SOMEBODY in those late spots.

ObsiWan
04-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Mr. Joseph, just when I start believing you might know what you are doing I read that Texans are visiting lower round corners. Why if we have several on roster do we need another? Even in later rounds go with other positions! Or maybe I was wrong to start hoping......

I was always under the impression that late-round CBs, LBs, and S pick-ups were selected to populate Coach Marciano's special teams squads.

If one or two of them turned out to be diamonds in the rough, that's gravy.