PDA

View Full Version : RGIII has declined an invitation to work out for the Colts

pec0sb0b
04-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Colts owner Jim Irsay says via Twitter that Robert Griffin III has declined an invitation to work out for the team. Smart kid...

Rey
04-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Good.

But he has already come out and said that he wants to play for the Skins.

I wonder if the Colts were actually discussing whether or not they would take him....

Lurvinator11
04-03-2012, 12:54 PM
His agent declined the offer.

Probably thinks they would be wasting their time, since Luck will go number 1.

GP
04-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Smart move. RGIII is an urban guy. He has the look, he has the swagger, and I wouldn't want him stuck in Indianapolis. Welcome to Hee-Haw if you want to be the Colts' QB. Luck should fit right in.

Plus, he would be forever compared to Manning.

Instead, he's in Washington...and he only has to do better than Donovan McNabb and Rex Grossman did in their time with the Skins. That's not as bad as having to replace Peyton Manning, folks.

You never want to be the guy who replaces "the guy." You want to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced "the guy." Simple trick for success.

Plus, I don't want us chasing RGIII all over the field. We suck at stopping mobile QBs.

Blake
04-03-2012, 03:09 PM
I posted this a few hours ago in the College Football forum, but Ill weigh in here too. I think your title is misleading. I doubt that RG3 doesnt want to play for the Colts. He just doesnt want to waste his time when he knows, I know, you know that the Colts are going Luck.

HOU-TEX
04-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Agree on the misleading title. Should be changed.

Per Twitter, RG3 will decline ALL workouts. Not just the Colts

Colts owner Jim Irsay shouldn’t feel like he’s been singled out. Although quarterback Robert Griffin III has declined to submit to a private workout with the Colts, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that he will submit to no private workouts.

(As I way typing this up, Adam Schefter was on ESPN saying the same thing.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/griffin-will-turn-down-all-private-workout-requests/

badboy
04-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Leave the title alone as we don't know what RG wants. I would not want to play for them but then I would not want to play for Washington either and both have kept my cell ringing.

SheTexan
04-03-2012, 04:03 PM
The Colts just might shock everyone and go with RGIII. Why would they ask for a workout if they weren't interested? Strange things happen in the draft, as we all know.

Personally, I hope he becomes a SKIN!

HOU-TEX
04-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Leave the title alone as we don't know what RG wants. I would not want to play for them but then I would not want to play for Washington either and both have kept my cell ringing.

Mmkay, we don't know what he wants, but we want to keep "RGIII doesn't want to play for the Colts" as a title. Makes sense :rolleyes:

Texan_Bill
04-03-2012, 06:01 PM
He has absolutely nothing to gain by working out for the Colts. I don't blame his agent one damn bit. The Colts know what he has, their call.

*EDIT*
And yes, the title is misleading. The only person that wants something is RGIII's agent and the want is to not workout for the Colts.

TimeKiller
04-03-2012, 06:06 PM
If I was him, that would be the one team I made the exception for. They have the #1 pick, more money. Good on the Redskins for trading up to get me but I don't think they'll be filled with rage to get Andrew Luck. I want the #1 pick status. I want the money, the glory and all the fame and pressure that comes with it.

Rey
04-03-2012, 06:09 PM
I don't get the point in saying that his agent was the one that declined the invitation from the Colts...Yes, his agent is the one that actually has contact with the team, but do you guys think he's out there making decisions like this without consulting with his client?

And honestly, if I'm his agent I WANT him to workout for the Colts just on the slim chance that they see him in person are are blown away and decide to take him with the #1 overall and shock the world.

Obviously RG3 has his mind set on going to the Redskins.

Yeah, it likely would have been a huge waste of time, but I don't think the Colts would have wanted to bring him in for a workout if he hadn't piqued their interest at all.

Rey
04-03-2012, 06:11 PM
If I was him, that would be the one team I made the exception for. They have the #1 pick, more money. Good on the Redskins for trading up to get me but I don't think they'll be filled with rage to get Andrew Luck. I want the #1 pick status. I want the money, the glory and all the fame and pressure that comes with it.

That's why I don't get people saying it was his agent...

No, that is not an agent decision...

RG3 told his agent to decline because he really wants to play for the Skins...

He does not want to play for the Colts. The end.

Doesn't matter if he declined all other invites because there is zero chance he's on the board after #2.

This is a small story because he will be on board when the first pick is made and he has declined to workout for that team.

SheTexan
04-03-2012, 06:14 PM
RGIII's been interested in watching NCAA Women's Basketball! Baylor gals play for the championship tonight and no doubt RGIII will be there to support his "lady's!!"

TdotTexas2Step
04-03-2012, 10:33 PM
I was more of the thought that RGIII and his agent know that the Colts front office are just doing their prep work in case Griffin does end becoming more successful than Luck. Even if it's only in their first year (Griffin winning rookie of the year over Luck), the Colts front office can at least say they worked Griffin out and did their homework. No can fault them for making a mistake and choosing Luck over Griffin, but at least no can say they didn't even try to check him out.

TheMatrix31
04-04-2012, 07:02 AM
As a competitor, he should want to go in there and FORCE the Colts to reconsider their "sure choice" by blowing them away.

G27RR
04-04-2012, 11:58 AM
As a competitor, he should want to go in there and FORCE the Colts to reconsider their "sure choice" by blowing them away.

As a competitor, he also wants to win and be successful in the NFL. He may feel the Redskins give him a better shot at that, especially in the next couple of years. The Colts are in full rebuilding mode and the Redskins aren't.

He may also prefer the offense he'd go to with the Skins.He had a long evening with Shanahan after his pro day. He and his fiancee have liked Shanahan since his Denver days. They've already brought in a new receiving corp that is young and can grow with Griffin over the next 5-6 years. He's got a good potential setup in Washington

He may just be angling to put himself in the best position to be successful, which is a lot smarter than trying to be the #1 pick just for the sake of being #1 - that short-term glory could quickly wear off with the Colts and a lackluster supporting cast.

SheTexan
04-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Maybe the Eagles will trade up and snag him! Doubtful the Eagles want RGIII to go to the Skins! They got money to spend also, so who knows. MV is most likely on his way OUT! Just a thought!

Vinny
04-04-2012, 01:03 PM
His agent doesn't want RG3 to be used as a tool for the negotiations for Luck...He already knows a team has traded up to 2 to take him....why get used as a tool for the Colts in their negotiations with Luck? All that is going to do is potentially drive Lucks contract down a tad if the Colts use this as leverage in contract negotiations. He has nothing to gain in the draft or in his contract by doing this....it's a smart move.

Rey
04-04-2012, 02:56 PM
His agent doesn't want RG3 to be used as a tool for the negotiations for Luck...He already knows a team has traded up to 2 to take him....why get used as a tool for the Colts in their negotiations with Luck? All that is going to do is potentially drive Lucks contract down a tad if the Colts use this as leverage in contract negotiations. He has nothing to gain in the draft or in his contract by doing this....it's a smart move.

I agree with that logic...

But....

If everyone involved knows that the Colts are dead set on drafting Luck, how would that be a useful tactic?

If the Colts say, sign for this much or we'll draft RG3 why wouldn't the Luck camp just call their bluff?

TdotTexas2Step
04-04-2012, 03:58 PM
I thought there was a version of the rookie scale contract implemented in the CBA?

michaelm
04-04-2012, 04:10 PM
The Colts just might shock everyone and go with RGIII. Why would they ask for a workout if they weren't interested? Strange things happen in the draft, as we all know.

Personally, I hope he becomes a SKIN!

You might be right. Nobody expected the Colts to select Edgerrine James over Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams in 1999, but they traded away future hall of fame running back Marshall Faulk, and did just that.

G27RR
04-04-2012, 04:22 PM
I thought there was a version of the rookie scale contract implemented in the CBA?

There was, so this isn't anywhere close to as big of a deal for the teams as it used to be. These aren't $78M Bradford contracts anymore. Newton was something like $22M. They may nickel and dime (in NFL $) within the scale some, but it isn't as big of a deal.

Vinny
04-04-2012, 06:46 PM
yeah, I wasn't thinking about that and you are probably right that its not that big a deal today as far as total dollars go but I think that guaranteed money can be leverage and I don't think that is slotted in any way...just total dollars.

Also, RG3 is also being used as leverage to perhaps get Luck to sign before the draft....in any case if I was Griffin and some team already moved up to select me, I'd be out on other visits. All they can do is pick your brain and find your weaknesses...why would you want to do that if you don't have to show your cards? Let them figure it out on game film.

Norg
04-04-2012, 09:24 PM
u think this is a racist thing cause the style and color of RG III hes not going to the colts i didnt want to say it but its

just something i was thinking while watching the media coverage on this #1 and #2 pick

Vinny
04-05-2012, 12:35 AM
u think this is a racist thing cause the style and color of RG III hes not going to the colts i didnt want to say it but its

just something i was thinking while watching the media coverage on this #1 and #2 pickyeah, the Colts don't mind black head coaches but in no way will they draft a black quarterback. I think Johnny Unitas was their only black QB...but that was back when they were in Baltimore where that was more accepted.

1bigfan13
04-05-2012, 07:47 AM

Or he could be protecting his investment (himself) and not opening himself up to the risk of injury which would undoubtly drop him in the draft significantly.

RGIII has nothing else to prove to the Colts. If they want another interveiew where they simply pick his brain and talk X's and O's that's one thing.

But I wouldn't put myself in a position where an injury is possible mere weeks before the draft.

Screw that.

The Colts have 3 years of tape to look at, his combine numbers, and his personal workout at Baylor's pro day. I fail to see the benefit of doing another private workout for the Colts.

Besides, these workouts in shorts and T-shirts against no defense are worthless anyway. What does it prove? That you can hit a wide open WR in stride. Big whoop.

Mayock has repeatedly said that the best workout he's ever seen came via JaMarcus Russell. That should tell you something about the value of these private workouts.

RGIII made the right call.