PDA

View Full Version : Your reason for optimism

badboy
03-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Most posters seem to be optimistic concerning this coming season. What one thing makes you feel this way? Wade Phillips having a longer off season to impart more of his 3-4, 2012 draft, more confidence in players such as Watt, Barwin, Reed? Result of last season despite injuries (next player up: backups)? Confidence of Kubiak that he has made playoffs and got that monkey off his shoulders? Your thoughts?

ThaShark316
03-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Most posters seem to be optimistic concerning this coming season. What one thing makes you feel this way? Wade Phillips having a longer off season to impart more of his 3-4, 2012 draft, more confidence in players such as Watt, Barwin, Reed? Result of last season despite injuries (next player up: backups)? Confidence of Kubiak that he has made playoffs and got that monkey off his shoulders? Your thoughts?

Besides the fact that it's March 27th, I'd say it's because tomorrow is March 28th.

Dutchrudder
03-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Beer.

Lucky
03-27-2012, 11:12 PM
My optimism (still) is due to the state of the AFC South. The Colts are rebuilding. The Jags are clueless. And the Titans are exceedingly average. Much like the Texans of 2007-2010. Despite the "Texodus" of the offseason, The Texans have the more talented team and more experienced coaching staff.

"Look out that window, Colts fans. You had your time. The future is our world, Indianapolis. The future is our time."

dream_team
03-27-2012, 11:21 PM
My optimism is due to the return of Matt Schaub! With Schaub, we'll return to being the most balanced team in the league!

Wolf6151
03-28-2012, 02:11 AM
My optimism is because last year I finally saw a team that is beginning to have some toughness and heart and playing with a little attitude and confidence.

Bulls on Parade
03-28-2012, 02:55 AM
My optimism is due to the return of Matt Schaub! With Schaub, we'll return to being the most balanced team in the league!
I tend to agree although I'm concerned about the right side of the offensive line. People keep saying Rashad Butler and Antoine Caldwell have been working hard this off-season so we'll see if they can live up to the starting role at RG and RT.

aussie_texan
03-28-2012, 03:54 AM
Foster, Johnson, Cushing, Watt, Joseph, Kubiack, wade, the fans.

Enough said

GO TEXANS!!!!!

ObsiWan
03-28-2012, 04:07 AM
My optimism (still) is due to the state of the AFC South. The Colts are rebuilding. The Jags are clueless. And the Titans are exceedingly average. Much like the Texans of 2007-2010. Despite the "Texodus" of the offseason, The Texans have the more talented team and more experienced coaching staff.

"Look out that window, Colts fans. You had your time. The future is our world, Indianapolis. The future is our time."

What he sed

Norg
03-28-2012, 04:55 AM
one reason is we show consistecy we have been a "Good: team for almost 6 years now finally ricks plan to build like a pittsburg steelers type of organaztion has came to fruit

from the dumps of the capers era we have posted up

7-9

8-8

8-8

9-7

6-10 ....yes but during this year alot of games came down to the last play of the game

11-7

so this year we can pretty much grantuee we are going to win at least 8 games

and maybe the kings of the divison are finally done being the colts and no one can stand in our way 4 a few years

Texas T
03-28-2012, 09:07 AM
My reply is that it's the off season and I can believe anything I want!!!

ckhouston
03-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Defense getting a full off-season to learn the entire system. Don't forget Wade didn't plug everything in last year because of the limited time to implement the new 3-4. Our defense should be #1.

SheTexan
03-28-2012, 01:38 PM
My optimism is because last year I finally saw a team that is beginning to have some toughness and heart and playing with a little attitude and confidence.

THEN our FO went and pulled the rug out from under them!! I believe there is still "toughness" and "attitude" but, heart and confidence got shot to hell!! JMO!

Seņor Stan
03-28-2012, 01:41 PM
My reason for optimism...

Andre Johnson, Matt Schaub, and Arian Foster played together for a total of a quarter and a half last year.

badboy
03-28-2012, 03:17 PM

Andre Johnson, Matt Schaub, and Arian Foster played together for a total of a quarter and a half last year.aand all did well based upon number og games played. Would be amazing to see what team could do with no significant player injuries.

Thorn
03-28-2012, 05:14 PM
I still think we are plenty good enough to win the division again.

TexansBull
03-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Beer.

Ditto.

CharloTex
03-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Because that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

disaacks3
03-28-2012, 05:58 PM
The Defense survived (and got stronger) last season w/o Mario and a weakened DeMeco. Barring injuries, they should easily be a "top 10" defense.

Grams
03-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Because I don't like the alternative.

Rey
03-28-2012, 06:54 PM
The Defense survived (and got stronger) last season w/o Mario and a weakened DeMeco. Barring injuries, they should easily be a "top 10" defense.

I agree with your overall point, but that said we also didn't face that many offensive juggernauts either.

The offenses we face this upcoming season will be tougher. Make no mistake about it.

Not gonna be able to rest on our laurels. Gonna need to improve there even if it's incremental.

Texan_Bill
03-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Beer.

Ditto.

Thirdeded!

TejasTom
03-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Beer.

And tequila.

Texan_Bill
03-28-2012, 07:10 PM
And tequila.

*ahem*

Scotch is preferable.

ObsiWan
03-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Thirdeded!

shouldn't it be 6-packeded?
:hides:

Texan_Bill
03-28-2012, 07:27 PM
shouldn't it be 6-packeded?
:hides:

That would workeded..

dream_team
03-29-2012, 02:34 AM

Andre Johnson, Matt Schaub, and Arian Foster played together for a total of a quarter and a half last year.

Good point! In regards to injuries, did anyone have it worse than us? Our best players on offense and defense, and our QB, missed majority of the season last year.

TheEastwood
03-29-2012, 05:50 AM
My reason for optimism... hmmm... Well, schaub's coming back. AJ is gonna be healthy. Mario is gone, but he was gone for most of this year anyways(still top 5 defense). I think that Butler can step up for Winston. I liked Winston, but he was always lacking in passpro. He got QBs killed against quick DEs. And I'm not worried about Dressen at all. I think Graham will do a fine job, but I'd rather have Casey there.

Honestly the piece I'm most worried about is RG. Caldwell was aweful when he played. Hopefully he's improved or replaced by next season.

The Medic01
03-29-2012, 06:15 AM
My reason for optimism... hmmm... Well, schaub's coming back. AJ is gonna be healthy. Mario is gone, but he was gone for most of this year anyways(still top 5 defense). I think that Butler can step up for Winston. I liked Winston, but he was always lacking in passpro. He got QBs killed against quick DEs. And I'm not worried about Dressen at all. I think Graham will do a fine job, but I'd rather have Casey there.

Honestly the piece I'm most worried about is RG. Caldwell was aweful when he played. Hopefully he's improved or replaced by next season.

What I actually didn't realize is that Caldwell started all of 2010 Foster's best season. Some food for thought right there.

Rey
03-29-2012, 09:11 AM

I don't understand a lot of the Caldwell flak...He did not do well last season, but he has been solid pretty much his whole time here. He's not as bad as a lot of people think/make him out to be.

Also, he supposedly was dealing with a high ankl sprain last year. And high ankle sprains are tough to deal with and usually affect guys all year or until they give it adequate rest.

badboy
03-29-2012, 09:38 AM

Honestly the piece I'm most worried about is RG. Caldwell was aweful when he played. Hopefully he's improved or replaced by next season.Do you think Butler will defend better against the speed guys you mention?

DocBar
03-31-2012, 06:36 AM
I'm optimistic because I think the front office has made the right moves to keep the core talent on this team in place for a few more years.
The Texans finally have enough talent to release or trade players with average talent or bloated salaries instead of being forced to keep them.
The changes on the OL are, too me, the biggest ones. The new starters are old friends to their teammates and coaches, so the changes should be fairly seamless. Everything else can be taken care of with a good draft to add depth.

My biggest concern is Wade's record after his 1st season with a club.

BattleRedRock
03-31-2012, 08:33 AM

Ill be optimistic when Kubiwack stops sending out the field goal kicker who hasn't hit a field goal passed the 40 yrd line to kick a 50 yd plus field goal in crucial times of the game.. either punt or go for it, i don't care just stop sending out a guy who can only hit the extra point

rarazz00
03-31-2012, 09:19 AM
My reason is the fact that we won the division and went into the playoffs with one arm tied behind our backs(injuries)..I honestly can say that I fear NO team this year!!!...we lost key players this year in FA, though we will aquire the key pieces for an epic year!!...I know our schedule is tough...I wouldn't want it any other way!!!! Wade Phillips will have a full training camp and for the record..I'm pulling for Trindon Holiday to return punts..:fans:

badboy
04-07-2012, 06:48 PM
We got the money that was set aside to sign Mario! Yes!! That should get Duane Brown and Barwin

BullBlitz
04-07-2012, 07:06 PM
1. Coaching late last season was pretty horrid, play calling appeared especially desperate in the Ravens game.

2. We lost Winston and Breisel, plus Dreesen - which definitely shouldn't help Foster.

3. The Colts should be a little more competitive with Luck and some defensive upgrades.

4. We play Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Cutler, Stafford and some other strong teams.

These are the primary reasons that I'm optimistic.

The Medic01
04-07-2012, 07:12 PM
1. Coaching late last season was pretty horrid, play calling appeared especially desperate in the Ravens game.

2. We lost Winston and Breisel, plus Dreesen - which definitely shouldn't help Foster.

3. The Colts should be a little more competitive with Luck and some defensive upgrades.

4. We play Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Cutler, Stafford and some other strong teams.

1. Never really saw a coaching problem.

2. brisiel not worried Caldwell had a great TC last year and started in 2010. Agree with you other than that.

3. Yes but not sufficient enough to challenge us this year.

4. Definitely tough but I think we can stand up to the challenge.

badboy
04-07-2012, 07:21 PM

These are the primary reasons that I'm optimistic.Uh, you probably were looking for my thread realist/pessimist.....

KA4Texan
04-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Reason for my optimism?

It makes what slipped through our fingers or more accurately Jacoby's (that's a little rhetorical painful joke) last season hurt a little less.

Besides, I don't fear the Tacks,Jags or Colts (I dont underestimate them either) I was hoping PM would head to Ten. so we could prove that we CAN defeat PM regularly.

I am optimistic in spite of kubiak

rush2112mn
04-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Besides the fact that it's March 27th, I'd say it's because tomorrow is March 28th.

Yeah....seems like every draft party at Reliant has been more boos than cheers for 1st round pick.....
Biggest boos ever.......for Mario in 2006....

badboy
04-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Hopefully, Watt changed that

Hervoyel
04-08-2012, 02:18 PM
I've been mulling this question about in my head since the thread appeared and all I can come up with is that I'm so very, very tired of being pessimistic. I'm optimistic because I'm out of energy to ***** and complain at this point.

The Pencil Neck
04-08-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm optimistic because

1) I think our division is in a weak cycle.
2) I think we're a couple of pieces away from being really a great team. If we can solidify the right side of the line, get a scary good receiver opposite Dre, and improve in the middle of our defense, we'll be scary good.
3) I think we've finally got a defense that can stop some people and should give our offense more opportunities.
4) I think we've got a lot of young players that should only improve from last year.
5) I think we've got a favorable schedule, just judging by who our opponents are going to be. Sure, there are going to be some hard games and we'll lose a few, but there are a lot of teams on the schedule we should beat.
6) We showed amazing resilience last year. I thought we showed amazing resilience the year before on the offensive side that wasn't matched by the defense which just gave up in the last few seconds of every game. Last year, both sides of the ball stepped up.
7) Foster-Tate.

BigSmooth1269
04-12-2012, 09:27 AM
I'm pretty psyched to see what happens with us this year. We can be pretty special with development from our young guys and a nice draft too. We have prob best 1-2 in the game at running back so we are set and Schaub is back who I think is top 10 in the league.
Another year with Wade and the defense will remain a beast.
I wanna see what KJ does this year. He wasn't bad last year and a full year with Wade and JJ mentoring him would probably go a long way

Blake
04-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Your reason for optimism

http://www.atbreak.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/optimism-640x492.png

sandman
04-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Ill be optimistic when Kubiwack stops sending out the field goal kicker who hasn't hit a field goal passed the 40 yrd line to kick a 50 yd plus field goal in crucial times of the game.. either punt or go for it, i don't care just stop sending out a guy who can only hit the extra point

Not to be nit-picky, but Rackers has been 78% (7/9) in the 50+ category the last three years. He was 4/5 this last year alone.

He was at 78% for 40-49 for two years as well, but he did struggle this year at 50%.

He has had 31 FGA in all of the losses in the last three years from the 40+ range, and has only missed three. That's 90% from long range in our losses. He was not costing us games.

For a kicker who has been AUTOMATIC under 40 yards (53/54) and consistently at almost 80% for 40+ for the last three years, I'm going to be optimistic and say that his 4/8 this year in the 40-49 range was an aberation.

TejasTom
04-14-2012, 08:02 AM
*ahem*

Scotch is preferable.

I like Scotch too, it just doesn't seem like a football drink to me. More along the lines of when I'm relaxing.

burro
04-14-2012, 05:03 PM
We won a playoff game last season with spare parts and a 5th round rookie QB. If we can keep Schaub, AJ, and the o-line healthy; then we are going to be nasty next season.

badboy
04-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Not to be nit-picky, but Rackers has been 78% (7/9) in the 50+ category the last three years. He was 4/5 this last year alone.

He was at 78% for 40-49 for two years as well, but he did struggle this year at 50%.

He has had 31 FGA in all of the losses in the last three years from the 40+ range, and has only missed three. That's 90% from long range in our losses. He was not costing us games.

For a kicker who has been AUTOMATIC under 40 yards (53/54) and consistently at almost 80% for 40+ for the last three years, I'm going to be optimistic and say that his 4/8 this year in the 40-49 range was an aberation.
IIRC the holder was different on two he missed.

badboy
04-14-2012, 10:40 PM
We won a playoff game last season with spare parts and a 5th round rookie QB. If we can keep Schaub, AJ, and the o-line healthy; then we are going to be nasty next season.I think this is where a lot of concern is coming from; two of our most important cogs are older and have misse significant games last couple years.

80tothezone
04-15-2012, 12:20 AM
If I am optimistic (cautiously so) I would say it's because we still have the draft.

we lost dreeson
mario
Winston
ryans
but really .....
oh and buckets
... and that CB who went to Cincinnati
but really ....
and we might not have a QB
and Andre is coming off injury and didn't look real good at the end of the yr
but.....
We still have JACOBY JONES!!!!! The fastest man on the field! !!!
you might think he runs poor routes, but your wrong, matt schaub is just so inaccurate he throws it way out of reach!....and it doesn't matter anyway cause we he is probably hurt so whatever....
I guess the bottom line is I am optimistic cause he is greased lighting on the field and will surely live up to the 3 mil he is getting next yr.... plus we playing a bunch of scrubs next yr anyway, nothing like the Juggernauts we faced last yr.:beer:
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

burro
04-15-2012, 03:25 AM
I think this is where a lot of concern is coming from; two of our most important cogs are older and have misse significant games last couple years.

Of course there is reason to be concerned, but this thread is about optimism. I'm optimistic that Schaub and AJ will return to form and therefore I am optimistic about our chances at taking it all the way next season.

chicagotexan2
04-16-2012, 07:26 AM
We play in a lousy division. In spite of the offseason losses I think the team can still win the AFC south. If healthy the team could make a postseason run.

sandman
04-16-2012, 11:13 AM
I think this is where a lot of concern is coming from; two of our most important cogs are older and have misse significant games last couple years.

Granted, Schaub missed 5 games in each of his first two seasons with the Texans, but after he came back in week 14 of the 2008 season, he went 46 straight starts before missing another game. That is almost three straight seasons. I know, I know. Not exactly Favre going to almost 300. Just trying to put a different perspective on the "Schaub is injury prone and always hurt" take.

And he is only 30 years old. Same age as Big Ben, Phillip Rivers, Tony Romo, Eli Manning, Rex Grossman. About a year older than Joe Flacco, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Cassel, Tavarius Jackson and Jay Cutler. Three years younger than Tom Brady and Drew Brees. Matt Hasselback and The Forehead are dinosaurs.

Outside of a few younger guys like Andy Dalton, Josh Freeman, Cam Newton, Mark Sanchez and Colt McCoy, most of the starting QB's in the league that are throwing up decent stats are in the 29-34 age group.

I don't think that being 31 by the time the season starts is going to be a huge impact on Schaub. It's not like he was known for being a mobile quarterback to begin with, so he isn't losing his speed/agility with age.