PDA

View Full Version : Braman gets no love?

House of Pain
03-27-2012, 04:19 AM
With all the doom and gloom going on around here about losing our players (somewhat rightfully so), I'm kinda surprised more people haven't been talking about Braman getting a chance to get snaps at OLB. Seems like he's got good football instincts. He's had two outstanding plays on special teams this year, and I really think he's going to shine in this system. Sure, we need to draft some LBs, but I'm pretty confident that he can step in a make an impact. Have the rookies play special teams and let him focus on being an LB and spend that high draft pick on a lineman.

IDEXAN
03-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Seems like he's got good football instincts. He's had two outstanding plays on special teams this year, and I really think he's going to shine in this system.
Based upon a couple of high-profile plays on STs duty, you've concluded he's "going to shine in this system" ? Would you say the same thing about Shiloh Keo, who also made an impressive tackle or two in covering punts/kickoffs during his rookie year ?

Texan in Japan
03-27-2012, 08:19 AM
No, Braman's work at OLB in the preseason last year is what caught my eye. That he did well on ST is part of earning his stripes as a rookie, but I agree he's got potential to be a contributor in the OLB rotation this year.

El Tejano
03-27-2012, 08:25 AM
No, Braman's work at OLB in the preseason last year is what caught my eye. That he did well on ST is part of earning his stripes as a rookie, but I agree he's got potential to be a contributor in the OLB rotation this year.

This!

I believe that Wade knows what he's got on the bench in this guy. Also any time we've seen this guy on the field he has done his job well.

Blake
03-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Its hard to project a guys development when we do not get access to see him work day in and day out. We can assume all day long if he is ready for a starting job or not. I tend to lean towards drafting a pass rusher in the first round.

WolverineFan
03-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Braman looked good in preseason last year but I don't think he's ready this year. He's a project and I think its too early to throw him into the mix. Wouldn't be surprised to see us draft an OLB high and let Barwin walk next year and then roll with Reed, draft pick, and Braman in 2013.

IDEXAN
03-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Braman seems like an entertaining, colorful character but it takes more than a rep for using exotic forms of dope and making a helmetless special teams tackle to be a regular and consistent contributor to the Texans' defense.

Kimmy
03-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Wasn't he the player from A&M who was suspended from football because of 'shrooms?

Maybe we're just making sure he doesn't get any flashbacks :butterfly:

Texan_Bill
03-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Wasn't he the player from A&M who was suspended from football because of 'shrooms?

Maybe we're just making sure he doesn't get any flashbacks :butterfly:

I thought he was suspended somewhere else and then transferred to West Texas A&M.

What's wrong with flashbacks?? :francis:

Ktexan68
03-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Lance Z ( who I think really knows his stuff) expects him to become part of the rotation this year.

ObsiWan
03-27-2012, 10:03 AM
With all the doom and gloom going on around here about losing our players (somewhat rightfully so), I'm kinda surprised more people haven't been talking about Braman getting a chance to get snaps at OLB. Seems like he's got good football instincts. He's had two outstanding plays on special teams this year, and I really think he's going to shine in this system. Sure, we need to draft some LBs, but I'm pretty confident that he can step in a make an impact. Have the rookies play special teams and let him focus on being an LB and spend that high draft pick on a lineman.

Insufficient data.
Let me see what he does during camp & preseason.
Tackling with no helmet does not say much for his judgement. It does speak volumes about his intensity though. :D

steelbtexan
03-27-2012, 10:12 AM
The draft will tell us what Wade thinks of Braman. If multiple LB's are picked high, then Wade doesn't have much confidence in Braman.

Although we dont have much to go on, I think Braman is a guy you can count on. I trust Wades decisions.

welsh texan
03-27-2012, 10:34 AM
The draft will tell us what Wade thinks of Braman. If multiple LB's are picked high, then Wade doesn't have much confidence in Braman.

Although we dont have much to go on, I think Braman is a guy you can count on. I trust Wades decisions.

I don't necessarily agree with this. I think if they draft OLB high it speaks more to how they rate their chances of keeping Barwin. If they can find another Reed to come in and rotate, and that guy proves himself on the field, Barwin moves in to Mario Williams status of 'we don't need to overpay' although on a lower pay-scale.

We are always going to need a 4th OLB we can rely on as well so it isn't as if Braman wouldn't see the field in that situation.

The moves we've made so far this off-season will give us some room to play with next off-season, but we still have to plan ahead. Schaub will be the obvious variable, since Brown and Barwin are likely to attract top dollar if they perform to the same level next year, a healthy Schaub season would make him an interesting option for other teams. He's currently earning somewhere around the $9m (not checked this) I think, which I'd love to believe would stay around the same level in a new contract but we all know thats a little below what a lot of good QB's earn.

All those factors combined make it prudent to give ourselves options at a position where performance on a rookie contract nets you a bargain, while established vets cost a fortune. Draft OLB high, continue to progress Braman (love that guys play btw) and improve a key position this year whilst freeing up your decision making next, win-win.

One guy I wouldn't mind seeing them bring in to the rotation, is Schobel, who I noticed is mulling over a possible return to football. We were interested a couple of years ago, and he's fairly local to Houston. I'm not too sure how interested he'd be in playing OLB, but if we have a little room under the cap, spending it on a 1 or 2 year, low risk deal would not be a bad way to use it. We made a huge mistake in not signing him when Barwin went down, we should have offered him whatever he wanted. Now I think the money side of things might be a little more in the Texans' favour.

ckhouston
03-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Jeez some harsh comments. Give the kid a break, he made his mistakes ... turned his life around ... and is trying to make the best of an opportunity. If Braman gets a chance to compete for a position in the rotation he will make it. I would bet on that.

Blake
03-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Jeez some harsh comments. Give the kid a break, he made his mistakes ... turned his life around ... and is trying to make the best of an opportunity. If Braman gets a chance to compete for a position in the rotation he will make it. I would bet on that.

Typical Houston fan response. ND Kalu says be more like Philly and destroy the guy.

/jk

Vinny
03-27-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm not a gloom and doomer, but Braman hasn't done squat yet. Being confident about him is like being confident in Jeff Maehl to solve our Jacoby Jones problem. Perhaps he will....but you can't rely on this kind of stuff. I like Braman too but we better take a talented OLB early in the draft. Reed may go through a sophomore slump as the league has a full year to study him and Barwin has to have a break out year...one injury and we are in big trouble back there.

HOU-TEX
03-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Braman hasn't really done anything to make me think he could contribute as an OLB, yet. Maybe that'll change this season, but I wouldn't go into the draft thinking we're ok at the position.

badboy
03-27-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm not a gloom and doomer, but Braman hasn't done squat yet. Being confident about him is like being confident in Jeff Maehl to solve our Jacoby Jones problem. Perhaps he will....but you can't rely on this kind of stuff. I like Braman too but we better take a talented OLB early in the draft. Reed may go through a sophomore slump as the league has a full year to study him and Barwin has to have a break out year...one injury and we are in big trouble back there.this.

chicagotexan2
03-27-2012, 11:31 AM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg8e8iTrR81qcj6m3o1_500.jpg

SW H-TOWN
03-27-2012, 11:38 AM
I love Braman, guy tackles guys with no helmet on, ect...If I remember correctly he looked good in some preseason game or games but I would love to see him go up a good starting RT for an extended period of time.

Runner
03-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Typical Houston fan response. ND Kalu says be more like Philly and destroy the guy.

/jk

Good one!

I'm adding him to the list of Houston All-Pros.

Rey
03-27-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm not a gloom and doomer, but Braman hasn't done squat yet. Being confident about him is like being confident in Jeff Maehl to solve our Jacoby Jones problem. Perhaps he will....but you can't rely on this kind of stuff. I like Braman too but we better take a talented OLB early in the draft. Reed may go through a sophomore slump as the league has a full year to study him and Barwin has to have a break out year...one injury and we are in big trouble back there.

I agree with this...

We have project/developmental guys at just about every position. I don't think you go into a season relying on those guys....

If they happen to reach their potential...great...Then you have an Arian and Ben Tate situation...

I like Bruce Irvin at the end of the second round...

GP
03-27-2012, 11:56 AM
He was a JUCO transfer to West Texas A&M University in Canyon, TX. I don't think he came to WTAMU because of past problems...WTAMU recruits heavily out of California and other western JUCO teams.

By the way, WTAMU is where me and my wife went to college (that's how we met), and we go to all the home games and even make a couple of road games every year.

He and Simi Kuli (who will be another great defensive UDFA prospect) got into trouble with the whole drug situation a couple years back. WTAMU and the city of Canyon is consistently ranked practically #1 in small-town college campus/community security, so a couple of guys like Braman and Kuli are not going to get away with what they did. Also, remember that Ryan Leaf was the QB Coach and got caught stealing prescription meds from WTAMU players' rooms.

Things like this happen on every college campus, but it's my belief that the campus cops and the city's cops are always on top of things. I worked as an Admissions Advisor and Recruiter for WTAMU for almost three years, so that's how I know a lot of this stuff. If your kid wants a college campus environment that feels like a "real" college, but has great professor-to-student ratio and you want them to be safe...WTAMU is a great place. Top notch programs, including engineering, nursing, pre-med, marketing, mass communication (my degree!), etc. Visit their site at http://www.wtamu.edu

Anyways, Braman was unstoppable when he was at WTAMU. He was bigger, faster, and stronger than any player he faced across from him. He could run from one end of the line totally across to the other side and make the play on the RB. He would shed, hurdle, shove and embarrass blockers as he rushed the QB. Simi Kuli is that same sort of player, too.

Obviously, the talent he faces in the NFL is better than Div II players...but he still made noise on the few plays he gets with the Texans. Remember when he almost blocked the punt in the Dolphins game, then ran the length of the field and ear holed/combo blocked TWO Dolphins gunners at the same time on the same freaking play? Yeah, he's got skills. Then there was the infamous helmet-less special teams tackle.

I agree that he doesn't have a body of work to be fairly judged yet. In preseason, against the Jets IIRC, he was a zombie and nobody could stop him. He was sacking the QB and stuffing the RB play after play. Again, that was in preseason and was against a few 1's but mostly 2's.

Will be rooting for my fellow WTAMU Buffalo this year. That's for sure.

Mike77015
03-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Last preseason he did well enough that he opened the eyes of several teams and the Texans did not want to lose him. That is why he was signed and played with the special teams. He would not have made it to the practice squad had the Texans released him.

GP
03-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Last preseason he did well enough that he opened the eyes of several teams and the Texans did not want to lose him. That is why he was signed and played with the special teams. He would not have made it to the practice squad had the Texans released him.

Exactly. Forgot about that, but we did have a whole discussion about that in the preseason.

Even if he made it to the PS, a team would have signed him from our PS.

He's a lock to make the roster unless he screws up royally somehow.

Brisco_County
03-27-2012, 01:01 PM
We're going to need to draft an OLB high. If Braman becomes the Arian Foster of pass rushers, then someone gets traded.

And I do believe Jeff Maehl is a raw diamond who will become an underneath-route demon.

Honoring Earl 34
03-27-2012, 01:02 PM
I think he's got the ability to rush the passer . I think he got hurt in the game before the playoffs on a collision at the QB . The problem is just like Jethro could throw a 100 mph fastball but only with possum fat on his fingers which was against the rules . This applies to Braman and his helmet and how he performs.

TimeKiller
03-27-2012, 01:13 PM
I thought he would breakout last year but it seems the depth was stacked against him. Beat out Nading though, that should tell you something. He made the most of his opportunities rushing the passer and impacting special teams (remember the huge flying double body block he threw that sprung Jacoby out for a huge punt return?) I don't think I would let him go unless 2 more Barwin's walked in the door. I certainly don't think it would matter much if or when they took another rush/OLB, this guy has solidified himself as capable, hell PLUS depth. All you can ask the young man to do is work hard and knock the snot outta people and he did EVERY bit of that last year.

Hervoyel
03-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Its hard to project a guys development when we do not get access to see him work day in and day out. We can assume all day long if he is ready for a starting job or not. I tend to lean towards drafting a pass rusher in the first round.

This. Braman has flashed but look at how he came to us. I don't say that as a knock on him. I say it matters because if he was ready to jump in and shine he'd have been drafted (most likely). He's a project with obvious potential but he could take another year of coaching up to reach it.

I've been impressed with him since he got here but lets not be stupid, we need to look for a pass rusher too.

ckhouston
03-27-2012, 01:55 PM
2011 Regular Season

Tackles 8 - Solo 5 - Ast 3 - Sacks .5 - Fum Ret 1

Almost as good as Mario! :gamer:

GP
03-27-2012, 02:03 PM
This. Braman has flashed but look at how he came to us. I don't say that as a knock on him. I say it matters because if he was ready to jump in and shine he'd have been drafted (most likely). He's a project with obvious potential but he could take another year of coaching up to reach it.

I've been impressed with him since he got here but lets not be stupid, we need to look for a pass rusher too.

IMO, part of the mystery about Braman's future is that he's from a small Div II school in Canyon, TX.

These guys are not heavily scouted like Div I guys are. Some names:

+ Danieal Manning is from Abilene Christian University which is also in the Lone Star Conference with West Texas A&M University.

+ Johnny Knox, WR with the Bears, came from Abilene Christian too.

+ The Bears have a starting OL who went to WTAMU, as well--He didn't come in as the starter in 2011 but by midway through the year he had overtaken the starter.

+ Bernard Scott, backup RB in Cincinatti, is from ACU.

WTAMU and ACU are the two top dogs in the LSC every year and they produce at least 1 or 2 NFL players every year. ACU has had more success than WTAMU in placing players into the NFL, though. They're closer to the DFW area than Canyon is, so a player out of the DFW area has a shorter drive home and mom and dad have a shorter drive to ACU home games. Plays a huge role in choosing ACU over WTAMU believe it or not.

What is interesting is that teams like the Texans (who are rumored to be interested in another WTAMU defensive player Simi Kuli) and the Bears are gravitating toward Lone Star Conference (LSC) players more and more. They are recognizing that a lot of these LSC players have the skill to be on NFL rosters but chose Div II route for a variety of reasons: (1) Class size is smaller, so the players have better access to professors to get extra help on lessons...(2) The campus is smaller, which means they feel a part of a community and are generally happier than at a Mega University, and (3) They won't be buried 3-deep on a roster which means more playing time.

Guys like Danieal Manning, Bernard Scott, and Bryan Braman are making rosters because they have one thing in common: Special Teams. An NFL team knows they're getting primarily a Special Teams returner/gunner/blocker AND backup depth for positions such as S, RB, or LB. What's cool is that these Lone Star Conference guys are finding ways to get onto the field in more ways than just Special Teams plays.

DocBar
03-28-2012, 08:23 AM
I like the guy and hope he turns into a solid player for us, or even a star player. Hopefully he has a great offseason and TC and pushes for some playing time during the season.

Maddict5
03-28-2012, 11:19 AM
If your kid wants a college campus environment that feels like a "real" college, but has great professor-to-student ratio and you want them to be safe...WTAMU is a great place. Top notch programs, including engineering, nursing, pre-med, marketing, mass communication (my degree!), etc. Visit their site at http://www.wtamu.edu

They are recognizing that a lot of these LSC players have the skill to be on NFL rosters but chose Div II route for a variety of reasons: (1) Class size is smaller, so the players have better access to professors to get extra help on lessons...(2) The campus is smaller, which means they feel a part of a community and are generally happier than at a Mega University, and (3) They won't be buried 3-deep on a roster which means more playing time.

:mariopalm:

its ok. you dont have to recruit anybody on TT

GP
03-28-2012, 11:23 AM
:mariopalm:

its ok. you dont have to recruit anybody on TT

LOL. I know, it's hard to break an old habit.

If you want me to take you on a tour, maddict, just let me know. I will meet you up at the campus and show you around. You REALLY should go there!

LOLZ.

Maddict5
03-28-2012, 12:37 PM
LOL. I know, it's hard to break an old habit.

If you want me to take you on a tour, maddict, just let me know. I will meet you up at the campus and show you around. You REALLY should go there!

LOLZ.

haha fwiw i read those parts of the posts in an infomercial voice for some reason

GP
03-28-2012, 01:12 PM
haha fwiw i read those parts of the posts in an infomercial voice for some reason

"Are you a big time player stuck on a roster at 3rd string until your senior year? Do you secretly wish you could have that small-town campus life AND play as a starter the whole time in college? Well, friend, you've come to the right place. WTAMU is here for YOU! Don't worry, if a coach steals your illegal prescription meds, our campus police will return them to you so you can illegally enjoy them. And that's not all! IF you are caught and punished for said illegal meds, you'll be suspended for the year but can return the next year!"

LOL.

House of Pain
03-28-2012, 01:37 PM
I agree with the majority of the people are saying in this thread.

I'm not saying "OMG becuz he made a ST highlight reel he's going to be the best OLB eva!" I'm just saying the 'kid' has done everything right as to this point during his tenure with the Texans. I wanted to give him credit on his determination on the field, in addition to, seemingly having a pretty high motor. Isn't this the same thing people cried for years about Mario? I think we got a group of guys that all want to play football, and really care about wanting to win. And he definitely is built in that mould.

I'm saying that the cupboard at LB isn't as bare as a good portion of poster's on TT think. I'm going to trust Wadethiak to make the right calls in the draft due to their access to their rosters and staff. I just think the fact that Braman is on the roster is a huge benefit, and as much as we need as much pass rush as we can get, I don't think it's absolutely essential that we spend our 1st on OLB. There should be some decent guys available in the 2nd (and maybe 3rd) that can come in a contribute, even if they are a little rough around the edges.

GP
03-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Kubiak will draft a big ugly for OL in Round 1.

It will be a Center or other type of OL. Bank on it.