PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Williams

Wolf
03-24-2012, 11:42 PM
What Gregg Williams did in Washington
March, 23, 2012

By Dan Graziano
Former New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has been suspended indefinitely for his role in the Saints' bounty program after the NFL concluded that he'd offered players financial rewards in exchange for injuring opposing players. Not surprisingly, Williams had apparently done this before. Per David Elfin:

It was the Wednesday before Washington opened the 2006 "Monday Night Football" season against visiting Minnesota and former Redskins quarterback Brad Johnson. Assistant head coach/defense Gregg Williams knew about the bad blood between Redskins owner Dan Snyder and Johnson and decided to do something about it in the defensive meeting room.

"Gregg came in and dropped $15,000 on the (table) and said, 'Brad Johnson doesn't finish this game. This is Wednesday and the money will go up later in the week. It could double or triple by the end of the week,'" one of the players recalled. "A couple of guys kinda got excited. (Defensive line coach) Greg Blache said, 'If you get fined, it will be taken care of.'

Elfin's story has a lot of details, supplied by anonymous players, that aren't hard to believe in light of the practices of which Williams and others have been found guilty in New Orleans. And it strikes at the issue that this bounty thing has gone on for some time in several different locations before the Saints got caught for their wide-reaching violations.

It also points out, with the help of one of those anonymous players, that it's pretty hard to knock an opposing player out of a game even if that's what you're trying to do. Johnson finished the game in question, just as Vikings quarterback Brett Favre finished the NFC Championship Game three years ago in spite of the Saints' best efforts.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/37375/what-gregg-williams-did-in-washington

Dutchrudder
03-25-2012, 12:43 AM
But but but it's just 1,000 or 1,500 dollars? Why on earth would players who make millions care about a couple grand? :rolleyes:

I hope Snyder gets implicated in this scandal, that would be entertaining.

kiwitexansfan
03-25-2012, 02:02 AM
But but but it's just 1,000 or 1,500 dollars? Why on earth would players who make millions care about a couple grand? :rolleyes:

I hope Snyder gets implicated in this scandal, that would be entertaining.

because they all waste their money and end up broke?

infantrycak
03-25-2012, 02:04 AM
All I know is I am glad Kubiak and Cheap McNair were stupid enough not to get this guy.

ObsiWan
03-25-2012, 04:39 AM
All I know is I am glad Kubiak and Cheap McNair were stupid enough not to get this guy.

hmmm... begs the question were we lucky or smart not to go after Williams back then ...when was it, '07, '08?

That good ole boy club known as the NFL owners know stuff about each other that never makes to the great, unwashed masses

Lucky
03-25-2012, 10:50 AM
hmmm... begs the question were we lucky or smart not to go after Williams back then ...when was it, '07, '08?

2009, the Saints Super Bowl season.

The Texans never looked outside of the organization, immediately promoting Frank Bush. I wouldn't describe that move as lucky or smart.