PDA

View Full Version : Great Article on Demeco's trade.

The Medic01
03-21-2012, 06:18 PM
http://www.caller.com/news/2012/mar/21/texans-front-office-makes-shrewd-move-trading-deme/

CloakNNNdagger
03-21-2012, 06:23 PM
http://www.caller.com/news/2012/mar/21/texans-front-office-makes-shrewd-move-trading-deme/

Dang. Missed the 2010 quad tear. Now I'm really glad we unloaded Demeco!:kubepalm::wadepalm:

Rey
03-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Dang. Missed the 2010 quad tear. Now I'm really glad we unloaded Demeco!:kubepalm::wadepalm:

I was thinking the same exact thing...

ObsiWan
03-21-2012, 06:25 PM

What... WHAT??...

TimeKiller
03-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Article says they have nine picks? I thought they got a 4th but only switched 3rds?

Dutchrudder
03-21-2012, 06:40 PM
That was the most informative article I have ever read. I learned so many new things about this team that I didn't know before! A+ Would read again! I'm sure it is very unlikely that the OP is the author of it...

:kitten:

CloakNNNdagger
03-21-2012, 06:41 PM
What... WHAT??...

Don'tcha know, that miserable lyin' Texans FO has been lyin' to us all along.....and now the Eagles, about his REAL 2010 injury. No wonder the Eagles feel like they got such a deal. They're going to poop their pants when they find out the truth!:)

Rey
03-21-2012, 06:44 PM
That was the most informative article I have ever read. I learned so many new things about this team that I didn't know before! A+ Would read again! I'm sure it is very unlikely that the OP is the author of it...

:kitten:

If I'm not mistaken the OP's name is Jason Miday, lives in katy and has a daughter...

The author of the piece is named Joel Roza

edit: Actually he has a son too and I believe another one on the way or either a new born...

The Medic01
03-21-2012, 07:04 PM
If I'm not mistaken the OP's name is Jason Miday, lives in katy and has a daughter...

The author of the piece is named Joel Roza

edit: Actually he has a son too and I believe another one on the way or either a new born...

Woah and you know this how?

G27RR
03-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Nevermind

Goatcheese
03-21-2012, 07:28 PM

Rey is watching you through the window. Close the blinds!

chenjy9
03-21-2012, 07:30 PM

"Hide yo kids, hide yo wives, and hide yo husband!"

Playoffs
03-21-2012, 07:38 PM
That was the most informative article I have ever read. I learned so many new things about this team that I didn't know before! A+ Would read again! I'm sure it is very unlikely that the OP is the author of it...:kitten:Ouch. :roast:

T'was a good read, thanks OP.

Rey
03-21-2012, 08:01 PM

From your first post ever on the board when you introduced yourself.

You might want to go back and edit that if you don't want it to be common message board knowledge.

The Medic01
03-21-2012, 08:03 PM
From your first post ever on the board when you introduced yourself.

Forgot about that. And you remembered that. That was months ago.

Rey
03-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Rey, not sure you need to put all those details out there in public like that, just say you know who the guy is and he's not the author.

I didn't put those details out, he did.

But thanks for playing.

Rey
03-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Forgot about that. And you remembered that. That was months ago.

I remembered you introducing yourself, but I was curious when you were not so slyly accused of being the author (that dutchrudder! Such a kidder!) so I went back and checked. Didn't take long at all. You only had two pages worth of posts.

I actually was trying to see if you had posted any more posts linking the authors work.

Based on what I saw I think it's safe to assume you are not Mr. Groza.

PapaL
03-21-2012, 08:58 PM
I remembered you introducing yourself, but I was curious when you were not so slyly accused of being the author (that dutchrudder! Such a kidder!) so I went back and checked. Didn't take long at all. You only had two pages worth of posts.

I actually was trying to see if you had posted any more posts linking the authors work.

http://www.bgalan.com/images/stories/bravo_clap.gif

ObsiWan
03-22-2012, 12:01 AM

Why it's elementary... my dear Watson...
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJjDen0ony-RGhWn7gC_RUShdixZtS-It34s0f-tAHiWvp7Uk3

Bulls on Parade
03-22-2012, 12:12 AM
"Wade Phillips is back, Gary Kubiak is back, and the team will still have the same swagger. They’ve got holes to fill – holes created by their cap-reducing moves. But they’ve still got a draft and some bargain aisle free agency to walk through before we declare them a ‘shell of their former selves’.

No need to freak out yet, folks. Let the off-season run its course before offering a final grade." - article quoted

Hmm... The same swagger? I sure hope that writer is right. It's kind of hard to have that swagger when you lose the heart and soul of your defense. A guy who was once deemed the defensive captain and team MVP (DeMeco Ryans). They were prepared to overcome the loss of Mario Williams and Brisiel. They should have kept big-E though. Now the Chiefs got themselves one hell of a Right Tackle for no good reason.

I'm sorry but the Texans should have kept Ryans and Winston... PERIOD!

You go out and release Jacoby Jones, Kareem Jackson. Whoever else is easy to replace with rookies in the draft and making a lot of money. Guys who play like idiots and have no clue what they're doing half the time. Not the hard-working players with big hearts like Ryans and Winston.

pbat488
03-22-2012, 01:38 AM
demeco never suffered a quad tear. sharpton did.

demeco has torn his achilles and then whatever elbow/shoulder problem he had this year.

also, that article is pretty terrible.

rush2112mn
03-22-2012, 01:44 AM

That was a good article.
You hate to lose a leader on defense. A leader on and off the field. But this 3-4 defense the Texans are running now, is not the 4-3 that Ryans was thriving in before. Ryans had his playing time reduced in this new defense as Cushing was used more instead.

Also his recovery from injuries has hampered him as well.

I hate to see the guy go. But tough descisions have to be made. This is one of those descisions.

DocBar
03-22-2012, 02:28 AM
Dang. Missed the 2010 quad tear. Now I'm really glad we unloaded Demeco!:kubepalm::wadepalm:Does this mean that Sharpton really blew out his Achille's last year?

DocBar
03-22-2012, 02:29 AM

demeco has torn his achilles and then whatever elbow/shoulder problem he had this year.

also, that article is pretty terrible.Can't get nuthin' by you Aggies!!! :kitten:

NastyNate
03-22-2012, 02:58 AM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0LFA32VuNlI/TrL4lIQWYwI/AAAAAAAAAJQ/QUEpWIdM9no/s1600/SarcasmSign.jpg

Premier
03-22-2012, 04:17 AM

theres no way to justify keeping those contracts on the team just because they have good hearts. in the next couple of seasons the texans will have hefty contracts to hand out to guys like cushing and brown who are far more valuable to this team than ryans and winston.. this is a what have you done for me lately business..

pbat488
03-22-2012, 05:41 AM
lol, gotta admit I seriously thought people were confused. hard to tell when people, especially someone like CNNND who usually posts hard facts to back up what he writes, are being sarcastic. probably has something to do with the frequency of stupid and inane posts by others numbing my brain.

oh well.

DocBar
03-22-2012, 05:54 AM
lol, gotta admit I seriously thought people were confused. hard to tell when people, especially someone like CNNND who usually posts hard facts to back up what he writes, are being sarcastic. probably has something to do with the frequency of stupid and inane posts by others numbing my brain.

oh well.Or maybe it has something to do with your avatar? :smiliepalm: :D

pbat488
03-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Or maybe it has something to do with your avatar? :smiliepalm: :D

or not. nice try at a worn out joke though.

Runner
03-22-2012, 08:23 AM
"Wade Phillips is back, Gary Kubiak is back, and the team will still have the same swagger. They’ve got holes to fill – holes created by their cap-reducing moves. But they’ve still got a draft and some bargain aisle free agency to walk through before we declare them a ‘shell of their former selves’.

No need to freak out yet, folks. Let the off-season run its course before offering a final grade." - article quoted

Hmm... The same swagger? I sure hope that writer is right. It's kind of hard to have that swagger when you lose the heart and soul of your defense.

Hah. The Gary Kubiak swagger. It's all about how you turn your back to plays you can't bear to watch.

GP
03-22-2012, 08:26 AM
The shoulder is not recent. It happened a few seasons ago.

The achilles was in 2010.

The elbow was sometime during 2011 in camp/preseason.

It's a new injury every year.

IDEXAN
03-22-2012, 08:35 AM
Article says they have nine picks? I thought they got a 4th but only switched 3rds?
I caught that to, hope he's right ?
But excellent article, and didn't know the Texans were being followed
by a writer down in CC ?

Kaiser Toro
03-22-2012, 08:39 AM

Just another hack, agreed.

majestrate
03-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Hah. The Gary Kubiak swagger. It's all about how you turn your back to plays you can't bear to watch.
+1

P.S. Can we allow "+1" be the exception to the 3 character minimum for posts? :P

SCOTTexans
03-22-2012, 08:50 AM
The second to last paragraph was the most informative to me, a had no idea who was still on the team with all these movements.... :headhurts:

:worm:

Runner
03-22-2012, 09:11 AM
+1

P.S. Can we allow "+1" be the exception to the 3 character minimum for posts? :P

I'd support that. Maybe we need a +1 button too....

NastyNate
03-22-2012, 10:09 AM

oh well.

You're an engineer aren't you?

IBleedTexans
03-22-2012, 11:29 AM
[/B]"Wade Phillips is back, Gary Kubiak is back, and the team will still have the same swagger. They’ve got holes to fill – holes created by their cap-reducing moves. But they’ve still got a draft and some bargain aisle free agency to walk through before we declare them a ‘shell of their former selves’.

Hmm... The same swagger? I sure hope that writer is right. It's kind of hard to have that swagger when you lose the heart and soul of your defense. A guy who was once deemed the defensive captain and team MVP (DeMeco Ryans). They were prepared to overcome the loss of Mario Williams and Brisiel. They should have kept big-E though. Now the Chiefs got themselves one hell of a Right Tackle for no good reason.

You go out and release Jacoby Jones, Kareem Jackson. [/B]Whoever else is easy to replace with rookies in the draft and making a lot of money. Guys who play like idiots and have no clue what they're doing half the time. Not the hard-working players with big hearts like Ryans and Winston.

I dont understand the hate with Kareem ? Kid had a good season.... Sometimes I wonder if people watch the texans or just go by what other posters claim on here. Go watch that Baltimore game, J Jo couldn't have played any better coverage.

drunkcookie
03-22-2012, 12:21 PM
[/B]

I dont understand the hate with Kareem ? Kid had a good season.... Sometimes I wonder if people watch the texans or just go by what other posters claim on here. Go watch that Baltimore game, J Jo couldn't have played any better coverage.

It's all dating back to his rookie year IMO...

Really it wasn't KJ's fault, it's something Smithiak (leadership) should take the blame for... Bad DC's and the lack of talent at the corner position was the root of the problem...

I agreed with letting Dunta Robinson go, good move for the future, but there wasn't enough talent/coaching in that secondary and it showed up big time... KJ was bad, horrible bad and for a 1st round draft pick you can't play that bad without fans developing a rather strong opinion on your suckiness... "he's a first rounder, but he's playing like an UDFA practice squader!"

He's just an easy target... But here we are after KJ's 2nd season and he's still getting hammered because people are stubborn and cannot back off of their strong opinions... The dude made a drastic improvement from year one to year two... You can claim it's the system or what have you, but you cannot honestly say Kareem sucked anywhere near as bad as last year... Nowhere near! Still room for improvement? Absolutely! But a whole lot less room...

The ideal situation when drafting a rookie CB high is to have someone capable of starting ahead of him... You develop him, not throw him to the dogs... He was thrown to the dogs... That's on Smithiak and company for not having any other backup plans at CB but to throw in a rookie... And I think they may have learned from it, seeing two rookie CBs didn't get in there this year...

Stop the Kareem hate, it's absolutely ignorant...

IBleedTexans
03-22-2012, 01:32 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself, great post! I was also mad about his play hIs rookie year, but with that said he has made great strides in becoming a #2 corner. If people would stop listening to other posters, and make their own opinion , they would alsO see how good we are at the CB position . Rick smith may have found another gem, considering how bad both Kyle Wilson and that guy from pats played last year.

pbat488
03-22-2012, 03:35 PM
You're an engineer aren't you?

yes, graduate in a little over a month.

Rey
03-22-2012, 03:45 PM

Early congrats. :chicken:

sandman
03-22-2012, 03:58 PM
It's kind of hard to have that swagger when you lose the heart and soul of your defense. A guy who was once deemed the defensive captain and team MVP (DeMeco Ryans).

You defeated your own argument with the use of "ONCE".

The heart and soul of the defense does not come off the field on third downs.

'Meco was a high character, passionate player that brought an identity to a defense that was not good for several years. Between the injuries and the switch to 3-4, his recent contributions to the team have been no where what they were before Cushing got here.

He was one of the few bright spots in some bad seasons, and his current value to the organization is being romanticized out of fan loyalty. But in the business of football, his value to this team was as a trade commodity was much greater than any on field impact. Both from a young draft talent and salary cap perspective.

I do find it interesting that the two "faces" of the defense over the years in Mario and 'Meco had very little impact on the defensive improvement this last year. If it is all about results, and not a sentimental attachment to a player, then this defense will be no worse off this coming year without the two of them.

cbs1507
03-22-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm somewhat shocked. Not because we traded him because it does make sense for cap relief. But because we only got a 4th round pick. I believe he might be a bit better in a 4-3 system we should have tried to get more for him since Philly is weak at LB. But I guess this was the best offer (so be it). I am going to miss him being here though.

sandman
03-22-2012, 04:48 PM
I'm somewhat shocked. Not because we traded him because it does make sense for cap relief. But because we only got a 4th round pick. I believe he might be a bit better in a 4-3 system we should have tried to get more for him since Philly is weak at LB. But I guess this was the best offer (so be it). I am going to miss him being here though.

I believe it is a swap of 3rds as well. Is it like a 12 spot move up for us?

Vinny
03-22-2012, 05:14 PM
if its posted on the internets it has to be correct.

Double Barrel
03-22-2012, 06:11 PM

http://www.sonicvoodoo.com/eyeflash.gif

And I always feel like
Somebody's watching me
And I have no privacy
Whooooa-oh-oh

DocBar
03-22-2012, 06:52 PM
or not. nice try at a worn out joke though.
It's an oldie but a goodie. Don't be so sensitive. My niece goes to A&M. I wish I would've. What discipline are you getting your engineering degree in?

Showtime100
03-22-2012, 07:06 PM
[Mario Williams] but his comfort lies in a 4-3 defense which is what Buffalo is returning to in 2012.

If taken at face value his comfort might indeed lie in the 4-3, but I think one could argue that, while short lived, he was more effective in the 3-4 than the 4-3.

silvrhand
03-22-2012, 07:40 PM
If taken at face value his comfort might indeed lie in the 4-3, but I think one could argue that, while short lived, he was more effective in the 3-4 than the 4-3.

Sorry 5 games doesn't make a season at all.. not even enough data to make that statement.

Showtime100
03-22-2012, 07:50 PM

Sorry 5 games doesn't make a season at all.. not even enough data to make that statement.

While short lived.

Who said anything about all season? He was effective for 5 out of 5 games. Hell, on his last play as a Texan, the play where he got hurt, he was dragging a QB with him.

While short lived, he was effective. :)

ObsiWan
03-22-2012, 11:59 PM

It's an oldie but a goodie. Don't be so sensitive. My niece goes to A&M. I wish I would've. What discipline are you getting your engineering degree in?

Hey, I'm an Aggie Dad. My daughter is an '07 grad of the School of Engineering
:doot:

NastyNate
03-23-2012, 12:56 AM

Yeah I figured as much, you engineering types usually aren't known for your abilities to infer sarcasm over the internet. Good luck in your future internetting though!

DocBar
03-23-2012, 01:43 AM
Hey, I'm an Aggie Dad. My daughter is an '07 grad of the School of Engineering
:doot:That's cool. What discipline?

Yeah I figured as much, you engineering types usually aren't known for your abilities to infer sarcasm over the internet. Good luck in your future internetting though!I must be the exception to that!!

ObsiWan
03-23-2012, 02:44 AM
Yeah I figured as much, you engineering types usually aren't known for your abilities to infer sarcasm over the internet. Good luck in your future internetting though!

I beg your pardon.... *I'm* an engineer myself.
and I can infer just as well as the next internet weinie...

[quote=DocBar;1924513]That's cool. What discipline?

Double major: IE & Math. Minor in Business/Project Mgmt.

the :doot: was because she got hired right out of school. She got off my payroll onto someone elses. ...well, mostly :D

DocBar
03-23-2012, 04:23 AM

the :doot: was because she got hired right out of school. She got off my payroll onto someone elses. ...well, mostly :DThat's awesome, Obsi. I hope my son can get half of that accomplished. He's 17 and acting every bit of it. Excuse my ignorance, but what is IE?

drunkcookie
03-23-2012, 09:41 AM

You're correct, five games doesn't make a season... And you are correct again that there isn't enough data...

With all of that out of the way: i didn't need to see it a whole season, and i don't need to look over data! I saw an absolute beast at OLB when Mario was in there, something i didn't see in him as a DE (and i think he's a damn good DE)...

I don't know if it was because of the way offenses covered him in Wade's 34 vs. a 43, or if being a little further outside more often helped him pick the point of attack/whatever better, or hell maybe he was just playing harder (contract year), but he was looking scary as hell...

HOU-TEX
03-23-2012, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE=ObsiWan;1924522]I beg your pardon.... *I'm* an engineer myself.

That's awesome, Obsi. I hope my son can get half of that accomplished. He's 17 and acting every bit of it. Excuse my ignorance, but what is IE?

Instrument and Electrical

Texan_Bill
03-23-2012, 09:59 AM
http://www.sonicvoodoo.com/eyeflash.gif

And I always feel like
Somebody's watching me
And I have no privacy
Whooooa-oh-oh

Off topic, but DB that's really kinda disturbing.... *shivers*

NastyNate
03-24-2012, 05:02 AM

the :doot: was because she got hired right out of school. She got off my payroll onto someone elses. ...well, mostly :D

you and docbar must admit that you're the 1% of the engineering community. you aren't trained to be an engineer, you're either born one or you aren't. Very distinct personality you engineers have, I work around a lot of you :D

DocBar
03-24-2012, 05:27 AM
[QUOTE=DocBar;1924529]

Instrument and ElectricalAhhh....that was my 1st guess. I usually see it as EE with an emphasis on controls or I&C(instrumentation and controls).
I specialized in the power generation side of things. I like big electrons, not those little bitty ones.

DocBar
03-24-2012, 05:31 AM
Nate, I got my EE later in life, so I am the exception to the rule. I get all kinds of blank stares from a lot of my coworkers who just don't see the humor in some situations.
I usually do pretty OK with sarcasm. It's that dang hyperbole that a few use that gets me. I get it when I use it, just not always when others use it.

ObsiWan
03-24-2012, 09:35 PM
[quote=ObsiWan;1924522]I beg your pardon.... *I'm* an engineer myself.

That's awesome, Obsi. I hope my son can get half of that accomplished. He's 17 and acting every bit of it. Excuse my ignorance, but what is IE?

Sorry... IE = Industrial Engineering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_engineering)

Sometimes referred to as process engineering...

DocBar
03-24-2012, 11:23 PM
[quote=DocBar;1924529]

Sorry... IE = Industrial Engineering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_engineering)

Sometimes referred to as process engineering...That makes sense. A good career can be had with process engineering. They tend to get very good cross training, in a variety of disciplines, in order to maximize the efficiency of whatever process they are trying to design.

Thorn
03-25-2012, 12:41 AM
[QUOTE=ObsiWan;1925480]That makes sense. A good career can be had with process engineering. They tend to get very good cross training, in a variety of disciplines, in order to maximize the efficiency of whatever process they are trying to design.

I got a bunch of Microsoft certifications, which doesn't mean I know anything, but it does pay well. The paper work always helps. :)

DocBar
03-25-2012, 12:50 AM
[QUOTE=DocBar;1925513]

I got a bunch of Microsoft certifications, which doesn't mean I know anything, but it does pay well. The paper work always helps. :)Are you working on tomorrow's hangover again?:lol:

Thorn
03-25-2012, 12:59 AM
[QUOTE=Thorn;1925541]Are you working on tomorrow's hangover again?:lol:

I am WAY to old for drinking two days in a row. :smiliepalm:

gwallaia
03-27-2012, 12:15 PM
I am reminded of a engineer joke I heard a while back.

Q: When does a person decide to become an engineer?

A: When he realizes he does not have the charisma to be an undertaker.

El Tejano
03-27-2012, 12:36 PM
When I see that we moved up 12 spots in the 3rd and then got the 4th overall pick in the 4th while keeping our own late 4th, I feel a bit better about this trade.

Ole Miss Texan
03-27-2012, 12:46 PM
When I see that we moved up 12 spots in the 3rd and then got the 4th overall pick in the 4th while keeping our own late 4th, I feel a bit better about this trade.

The net value is about a late 3rd round pick.... not bad in my opinion.

NastyNate
03-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Nate, I got my EE later in life, so I am the exception to the rule. I get all kinds of blank stares from a lot of my coworkers who just don't see the humor in some situations.
I usually do pretty OK with sarcasm. It's that dang hyperbole that a few use that gets me. I get it when I use it, just not always when others use it.

Yeah we have one guy like that out here, he's a total hoot, and about the only engineer out of 40 or so that gets a quality joke. Both parents engineers, stepdad an engineer, work at a chemical plant, I know what it is, you got to admit you are the minority in that community :)

El Tejano
03-27-2012, 01:48 PM
The net value is about a late 3rd round pick.... not bad in my opinion.

And there could still be a stud WR hanging out around that time we use that pick.

GP
03-27-2012, 02:28 PM

OMG. THAT is funny.

GlassHalfFull
03-27-2012, 04:59 PM

Hey, I'll be at your graduation.

My son graduates in the same ceremony as you.

p.s. feel sorry for me. married to an engineer and raised one. Oldest son is a classic engineer, takes after his father. :glasshalffull:

DocBar
03-27-2012, 07:51 PM

A: When he realizes he does not have the charisma to be an undertaker.That's a nasty rumor started by my friends and family.

ObsiWan
03-29-2012, 06:31 AM

....this charisma thing to which you refer.... is it measured in Imperial or Metric units?

...wait... let me get my sliderule...