PDA

View Full Version : No one ever talks about our coaching staff...

rush2112mn
03-20-2012, 01:39 PM
You know know one ever talks about our coaching staff except for Kubiak and Phillips. These guys develop the players.
Case and point. John Benton. The guy who is the offensive line coach. I do not think he gets enough credit at the job he does. He has developed our offensive line yet all you talk about is the players. I am not worried about our offensive line. You may think that is crazy. But I dont. I know we have quality coaches who can coach those replacements up Rashard Butler and Antonio Caldwell will come in and do a good job. I have faith John Benton and the excellent job he has done developing our offensive line and the zone blocking scheme he runs.
Meyers and Brisel were not household names a few years ago and with the coaching of John Benton...have developed into quality starters.

Maybe I am in the minority in this train of thought....

Iceman16
03-20-2012, 01:42 PM
You know know one ever talks about our coaching staff except for Kubiak and Phillips. These guys develop the players.
Case and point. John Benton. The guy who is the offensive line coach. I do not think he gets enough credit at the job he does. He has developed our offensive line yet all you talk about is the players. I am not worried about our offensive line. You may think that is crazy. But I dont. I know we have quality coaches who can coach those replacements up Rashard Butler and Antonio Caldwell will come in and do a good job. I have faith John Benton and the excellent job he has done developing our offensive line and the zone blocking scheme he runs.
Meyers and Brisel were not household names a few years ago and with the coaching of John Benton...have developed into quality starters.

Kubiak sucks. I'm extra pissed that he got Coach of the Year because now it's going to be years before we fire him. Phillips is an excellent defensive coordinator, one of the best in the league. I think most of the credit for the line should go to Dennison though. His arrival coincided with the emergence of our line. Benton has been here for a while.

Marcus
03-20-2012, 01:45 PM

You might well be, but that doesn't mean you have an excellent point, which in my view, needs a lot more discussion.

Good post. :bravo:

TexanSam
03-20-2012, 01:50 PM
How do you rate assistant coaches though? It might be easier for an O-line coach because it's obvious when the line is performing well or not, but what about WR, TE, RB, or secondary coaches?

Is Chick Harris a good coach because of Foster? It's hard to say. He was also here when Vernand Morency, Wali Lundy, Stacey Mack, and Ron Dayne were our starting backs.

How much did Reggie Herring have to do with Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin having good seasons last year? I think it's hard to rate these guys since we can't see the actual coaching behind the scenes.

badboy
03-20-2012, 02:01 PM
I think most fans don't care much about coaching other than HC, coordinators and ST. Fans want the taste of a good meal and other than head chef, think little of the others who prepare the meal.

Goatcheese
03-20-2012, 02:13 PM
It's hard to gauge how much impact position coaches have. The guys above them do a lot of hands on teaching in their areas of expertise(e.g. Denny and the line, Kubes and the QBs).

I think most fans don't care much about coaching other than HC, coordinators and ST. Fans want the taste of a good meal and other than head chef, think little of the others who prepare the meal.

I generally prefer not to think about the people who are spitting in my food. :doot:

Kthx
03-20-2012, 02:48 PM
I guess I don't know that much about most of our coaching staff besides the top few guys, but I do know that Reggie Herring made last years defense look good when Wade was in the hospital.

Goldensilence
03-20-2012, 03:01 PM
I think it's taken Benton a while to get the O-line to where it was performing last year. The real test is going to be this year how his guys perform with the loss of Winston and Brisiel.

I think we have have an average staff overall though.

RB was pretty bad off til we got lucky on getting Foster as an UDFA and making a high round choice in Ben Tate.

TE development has been pretty good, our WR development has been pitiful and is why I think we either need to put forth a high round selection at WR or look for help in FA.

Defensively I think Kollar has been good for the most part as a DL coach. Helps when its also been a spot where the team has invested heavily in.

I think the probably the most steady spot the past few years has been our LBer development.

Vance Joesph will be gauged next year on how well Brandon Harris and Rock Carmichael come along.

Of course, Gary is well known for his work with QBs. I'm actually pretty excited to see Yates develop with a full-offseason to work with.

badboy
03-20-2012, 03:21 PM
I think it's taken Benton a while to get the O-line to where it was performing last year. The real test is going to be this year how his guys perform with the loss of Winston and Brisiel.

I think we have have an average staff overall though.

RB was pretty bad off til we got lucky on getting Foster as an UDFA and making a high round choice in Ben Tate.

TE development has been pretty good, our WR development has been pitiful and is why I think we either need to put forth a high round selection at WR or look for help in FA.

Defensively I think Kollar has been good for the most part as a DL coach. Helps when its also been a spot where the team has invested heavily in.

I think the probably the most steady spot the past few years has been our LBer development.

Vance Joesph will be gauged next year on how well Brandon Harris and Rock Carmichael come along.

Of course, Gary is well known for his work with QBs. I'm actually pretty excited to see Yates develop with a full-offseason to work with.

This is what I'm looking for.

2slik4u
03-20-2012, 04:14 PM
I guess I don't know that much about most of our coaching staff besides the top few guys, but I do know that Reggie Herring made last years defense look good when Wade was in the hospital.

For some reason I remember exactly the opposite. Am I wrong here? I remember giving up more yards/points and not having many turnovers/sacks when Wade was gone. I thought we were doomed if Wade left.

Maybe Im "misremembering"...

majestrate
03-20-2012, 04:18 PM
For some reason I remember exactly the opposite. Am I wrong here? I remember giving up more yards/points and not having many turnovers/sacks when Wade was gone. I thought we were doomed if Wade left.

Definitely not "misremembering". We looked like the 2010 defense (slightly exaggerated) during those games.

Texan_Bill
03-20-2012, 04:22 PM

You are not "misrembering". The Texans actually lost both games (Carolina and Indy) when Wade was out.

steelbtexan
03-20-2012, 04:26 PM
The OL is good because of 1 man. (HOF Alex Gibbs)

Now that some of his guys are gone, we will get to see how good Benton is at his job. I have a feeling he will do well. (He learned under Gibbs)

Brandon420tx
03-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Well we were trying to keep it a secret so other teams wouldn't poach him from us, but you ruined that for us. Thanks

Kimmy
03-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Oh we do. It just normally comes out like **** this ************* bull****

:)