PDA

View Full Version : The forgotton WRs?

Doppelganger
03-19-2012, 07:17 PM
The Texans have a few interesting WR prospects nobody seems to be talking about.

1. Juaquin Iglesias, 6'1, 210, drafted: 2009, 3rd round
Never really got a chance with the Bears and had a couple of injuries. Was positively compared to Bobby Engram in college.

2. LeStar Jean, 6'3, 215, UDFA 2011
Everyone probably remembers him coming along in Preseason only to unfortunately suffer a season ending injury. Now he is fully healthy and ready to go. He is not a burner, but he could be a very good WR going forward.

3. Jeff Maehl, 6'0, 190, UDFA
He is shifty, has good hands, and can break out big plays.

While none of them offer Jones' track speed, all three of them have good hands, are good route runners, and made big plays in college when given the opportunity.

Keep these names in mind when we don't see the Texans go WR before the 4th round.

TexanSam
03-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Let them have a shot, but I would feel very uneasy if any one of those guys were anything higher than our #3 WR next year.

ObsiWan
03-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Can hardly wait to see these young'uns in camp. They need to press hard for playing time. I think all WRs not named Andre Johnson should be fighting for their NFL lives this camp.

Vinny
03-19-2012, 07:26 PM
projects...got 'em in camp every year.

aussie_texan
03-19-2012, 07:29 PM
i love jean and maehl but i still think we go WR in the first 2 rounds unless two players fall and we get toooo much value out of them.

Both were UDFA so i think a player in the first or 2nd round would be a better fit.

you could go into the season like this
AJ
KW
Rookie
Jean
Maehl

but it will probably end up like this because kubiack doesn't like to trust young WR early:

AJ
KW
JJ
Rookie
Jean

Doppelganger
03-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Let them have a shot, but I would feel very uneasy if any one of those guys were anything higher than our #3 WR next year.

I am especially interested in LeStar. He did some really good work in camp last year and Kubes was pretty impressed. That's a good thing for him. I would not be surprised to see LeStar start mid year.

Can hardly wait to see these young'uns in camp. They need to press hard for playing time. I think all WRs not named Andre Johnson should be fighting for their NFL lives this camp.

I think this is the attitude every WR should have. I think we will see AJ and Walter start as the WRs with Jones in the slot. However, don't be surprised to see LeStar grab the spot from Jacoby mid season.

ObsiWan
03-19-2012, 07:37 PM
projects...got 'em in camp every year.

didn't Brisiel start out as a project also?

of course, our WR coach doesn't appear to be as prolific as our O-line coach seems to be...

Allstar
03-19-2012, 07:47 PM

of course, our WR coach doesn't appear to be as prolific as our O-line coach seems to be...

If you're undrafted, I think it's safe to say that you're a "project" in camp.

Doppelganger
03-19-2012, 07:50 PM
i love jean and maehl but i still think we go WR in the first 2 rounds unless two players fall and we get toooo much value out of them.

Both were UDFA so i think a player in the first or 2nd round would be a better fit.

you could go into the season like this
AJ
KW
Rookie
Jean
Maehl

but it will probably end up like this because kubiack doesn't like to trust young WR early:

AJ
KW
JJ
Rookie
Jean

I think the Texans will go BPA rather than reach for a need. I would say WR is not as dire as say OL or OLB. FOr example, the team is very thin at OG. Konz could come in and start at RG over Caldwell. Caldwell could then transition back to OG depth. Konz could also cover as the backup OC. Outside of Reed/Barwin all the team has is Braman ans Nading. I would feel more comfortable with another big time OLB(maybe a second rounder) to compliment the team.

So, maybe a third round wr?

jradMIT
03-19-2012, 07:54 PM
We need speed period. Someone to keep the safeties honest and open up the run game, and create big plays off the play action. We are sorely lacking speed. Only AJ and Jacob have it, and Jacob is completely unreliable and overpaid. If we get a WR early he needs to be at least somewhat of a burner or to me we are missing the point. Also it might be good to get a project mid to late who can run. Wr is the weakest part of our team bottom line.

aussie_texan
03-19-2012, 07:58 PM
I think the Texans will go BPA rather than reach for a need. I would say WR is not as dire as say OL or OLB. FOr example, the team is very thin at OG. Konz could come in and start at RG over Caldwell. Caldwell could then transition back to OG depth. Konz could also cover as the backup OC. Outside of Reed/Barwin all the team has is Braman ans Nading. I would feel more comfortable with another big time OLB(maybe a second rounder) to compliment the team.

So, maybe a third round wr?

i think that the texans won't pick an O-lineman in the first 3 rounds based of their philosophy. apart from Brown which other o-lineman we drafted in the first half of the draft. OL is a position where we can pick up later in the draft but still fits our scheme really well.

I Agree with you that OL is important and should be address early just don't think thats how the texans FO works.

In regards to OLB you can use the same analogy for WR.
Outside of AJ and KW (who is a B grader anyway and would be better in the slot) who do we have...JJ, and project players.

Im not saying reaching for a WR, thats why you'll probably find better value in the 2nd. As i said unless someone they have really high on their board falls i see the texans targeting a WR in the first 2 rounds.

aussie_texan
03-19-2012, 08:00 PM
We need speed period. Someone to keep the safeties honest and open up the run game, and create big plays off the play action. We are sorely lacking speed. Only AJ and Jacob have it, and Jacob is completely unreliable and overpaid. If we get a WR early he needs to be at least somewhat of a burner or to me we are missing the point. Also it might be good to get a project mid to late who can run. Wr is the weakest part of our team bottom line.

I posted this is the college/draft section of the forum....

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/McNair-sounds-off-on-free-agency/7d442566-7017-4f72-b989-a0445b82f5a9

towards the end of the interview, mcnair was asked how where and what kind of WR houston will target.

He responded with in the draft and put a lot of emphasis on speed.
Said the guys in FA a similar to what we have already and again we need more speed.

Doppelganger
03-19-2012, 08:13 PM
i think that the texans won't pick an O-lineman in the first 3 rounds based of their philosophy. apart from Brown which other o-lineman we drafted in the first half of the draft. OL is a position where we can pick up later in the draft but still fits our scheme really well.

I Agree with you that OL is important and should be address early just don't think thats how the texans FO works.

In regards to OLB you can use the same analogy for WR.
Outside of AJ and KW (who is a B grader anyway and would be better in the slot) who do we have...JJ, and project players.

Im not saying reaching for a WR, thats why you'll probably find better value in the 2nd. As i said unless someone they have really high on their board falls i see the texans targeting a WR in the first 2 rounds.

Agreed, the Texans have only taken 1 OL in the first rounder: Brown. By the same token, the Texans traded down to #26 to get Brown. But, I could also say that in the Kubiak era, the Texans have taken

they have also only taken a WR in the first 3 rounds once.

2006: Mario WIlliams, Demeco Ryans, Winston/Spencer
2007: Amobi Okoye, no second, Jacoby Jones
2008: Duane Brown, no second, Moulden, Steve Slaton
2009: Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin, Caldwell
2010:Kareem Jackson, Ben Tate, Earl Mitchell
2011: JJ Watt, Brooks Reed, Brandon Harris

In fact, if you look at Kubiak era drafts the Texans have drafted 3 WRs: Jacoby Jones in the third in 2007 and Trindon Holliday in the 6th in 2010.

Kubes has never taken a first or second round WR in the draft. If we went on pure trends, we see a defensive front 7 player taken in the first or second round 70% of the time (7/10).

aussie_texan
03-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Agreed, the Texans have only taken 1 OL in the first rounder: Brown. By the same token, the Texans traded down to #26 to get Brown. But, I could also say that in the Kubiak era, the Texans have taken

they have also only taken a WR in the first 3 rounds once.

2006: Mario WIlliams, Demeco Ryans, Winston/Spencer
2007: Amobi Okoye, no second, Jacoby Jones
2008: Duane Brown, no second, Moulden, Steve Slaton
2009: Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin, Caldwell
2010:Kareem Jackson, Ben Tate, Earl Mitchell
2011: JJ Watt, Brooks Reed, Brandon Harris

In fact, if you look at Kubiak era drafts the Texans have drafted 3 WRs: Jacoby Jones in the third in 2007 and Trindon Holliday in the 6th in 2010.

Kubes has never taken a first or second round WR in the draft. If we went on pure trends, we see a defensive front 7 player taken in the first or second round 70% of the time (7/10).

yeah this could be a tricky one.

I guess with a team with no GLARING needs, it will come down to who is higher on the texans board at the time. They'll target WR OLB OL early and whoever grades out higher will get the spot.

Steering the thread back a little though I'm really looking forward to see Jean this pre-season. I got him on tweeter seems like his been really focused and training hard, hopefully this is true and he comes out and dominates the pre-seasons

Texan_Bill
03-19-2012, 09:11 PM
The Texans have a few interesting WR prospects nobody seems to be talking about.

1. Juaquin Iglesias,

Really?? I didn't care that much for Julio Igleasias SR. let alone, wait, especially Julio Igleasias Jr.... They're music sucked!!!! WTF is Juaquin gonna bring us??

Texan_Bill
03-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Really?.............. Really, why would y'all ever read my posts because I apparently don't know ****e!!!!!!!

badboy
03-19-2012, 09:57 PM

Never really got a chance with the Bears and had a couple of injuries. Was positively compared to Bobby Engram in college.

Everyone probably remembers him coming along in Preseason only to unfortunately suffer a season ending injury. Now he is fully healthy and ready to go. He is not a burner, but he could be a very good WR going forward.

While none of them offer Jones' track speed, all three of them have good hands, are good route runners, and made big plays in college when given the opportunity.

Keep these names in mind when we don't see the Texans go WR before the 4th round.2&3 offer hope maybe like Foster his rookie year but not much else to go on. If we don't draft WR before round 4 as you indicate, I will blow my cool and be very, very unhappy. It is too easy to look back and brag on choices like Foster. Hope we are not gonna wait for lightning to strike twice.

badboy
03-19-2012, 10:06 PM

So, maybe a third round wr?If you have research both compare Konz and Phillip Blake (Baylor). Both are C that should be able to play RG. I have Konz maybe at #26 but Blake at our third and therefore would take him. Your (and others) thoughts appreciated.

Runner
03-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Somebody had better step up, because I have a feeling they'll be without Dre Johnson for large periods of time next season. He missed most of the past season with two injuries, both of which occurred running by himself in a straight line. He isn't getting any younger.

The lack of depth at receiver the Texans have had for years might finally catch up with them unless they fix it this free agency/draft.

badboy
03-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Somebody had better step up, because I have a feeling they'll be without Dre Johnson for large periods of time next season. He missed most of the past season with two injuries, both of which occurred running by himself in a straight line. He isn't getting any younger.

The lack of depth at receiver the Texans have had for years might finally catch up with them unless they fix it this free agency/draft.I think it is naive to think AJ will keep on trucking. We really need to start looking for a replacement. If he continues to be Superman well good for us.

aussie_texan
03-19-2012, 10:50 PM
I think it is naive to think AJ will keep on trucking. We really need to start looking for a replacement. If he continues to be Superman well good for us.

ENTER MICHAEL FLOYD!!!!!!!!

ps... not gonna happen :overreact:

Nawzer
03-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Would be nice if one of these guys can become the next Victor Cruz or something similar to him.

Rey
03-19-2012, 10:53 PM
2&3 offer hope maybe like Foster his rookie year but not much else to go on. If we don't draft WR before round 4 as you indicate, I will blow my cool and be very, very unhappy. It is too easy to look back and brag on choices like Foster. Hope we are not gonna wait for lightning to strike twice.

It seems like a lot of people leave out briesel when talking about foster and going from udfa's to studs.

Chris meyers was drafted pretty late as well. Kw was a 7th rounder. Vonta leach was picked up off the scrap heap. He'll Jeremiah Johnson was looking like he was going to be a really good player in our system. He was looking just as impressive as foster did.

Would it really surprise you if one of the "forgotten wr's" rose to a prominent status from obscurity?

I don't think it's about lightning striking twice. This regime has been damn good at finding talented players that fit well in what they do.

Of course I'd like to see a top tier talent taken as well, but I don't think it's out of the question that they actually semi-believe in some of the guys already with the team.

ObsiWan
03-19-2012, 11:55 PM
Really?.............. Really, why would y'all ever read my posts because I apparently don't know ****e!!!!!!!

cause sometimes they're pretty funny
:bender:

RagingBull
03-20-2012, 12:41 AM
didn't foster start out as a project also?

fify

Vinny
03-20-2012, 12:50 AM

yeah, if nobody ever panned out, why would they keep projects around? Every team has them but you can't count on your project guys. If the Texans knew what they had in Foster we probably don't draft Tate there.

Doppelganger
03-20-2012, 01:07 AM
2&3 offer hope maybe like Foster his rookie year but not much else to go on. If we don't draft WR before round 4 as you indicate, I will blow my cool and be very, very unhappy. It is too easy to look back and brag on choices like Foster. Hope we are not gonna wait for lightning to strike twice.

Foster is a rare UDFA that became a star. I think Priest Holmes was the other UDFA to lead the league in rushing. But there have been several solid to good players the Texans have gotten round 4 or later. Here are a few:

Owen Daniels: 4th round
David Anderson: 7th round
Zach Diles: 7th round
Dominique Barber: 6th round
James Casey: 5th round
Brice McCain: 6th round
Troy Nolan: 7th round
Shelly SMith: 6th round
TJ Yates: 5th round

Now, I will agree that none of them have thus far attained Foster status, but these have all been solid to good players when given the chance to contribute.

If you have research both compare Konz and Phillip Blake (Baylor). Both are C that should be able to play RG. I have Konz maybe at #26 but Blake at our third and therefore would take him. Your (and others) thoughts appreciated.

Sure, I would be glad to provide some thoughts.

I have Peter Konz as my #1 Center and #3 OG prospect (behind DeCastro and Cordy Glenn). Konz is a big, strong, athletic OL prospect. He can pull, he can push, he can get to the second level. He plays with solid pad level and excellent knee bend. He can play Center or Guard. If I drafted him, I would flip Wade Smith to RG and put Konz as my LG so that he could get help from Duane Brown early in his career. Going forward I see him as our longterm Center, but for now, he can help out at OG. If he was at #26 I would grab him.

Phillip Blake is my #2 Center prospect(After Konz) and my #8 OG (DeCastro, Glenn, Konz, Osemele, Zeitler, Silatolu, and Brandon Washington). He is a big strong, athletic OL. My concerns with him are that he mostly hiked into shotgun at Baylor and didn't snap under Center much. A couple other concerns I had were that he didn't look to be in tip-top shape at the combine. Now, not all prospects will be in shape, but that leads me to my next big concern with Blake. Most of the prospects at the combine are kids. They are 20, 21, maybe 22 years old. Phillip Blake is a 27 year old man. I have more expectations for a 27 year old man than I do a 22 year old. The age issue has me concerned since he would be literally a year OLDER than Duane Brown and Brown has 4 years of NFL experience under his belt. Blake is a good player but question marks will abound due to age and questions if he has peaked and if he can transition to another position.

If the choice was between Konz in the first with a WR/OLB in the second and third or a WR/OLB in the first and second and Blake in the 3rd, I would definitely take Konz. I think Konz is that good and has the potential to be a Probowl Center or Guard. If you have the chance at a Probowl OL, you gotta grab him.

pec0sb0b
03-20-2012, 03:58 AM
I watched some video highlights of Maehl last year after the draft. He wasn't very fast but one thing stood out about the guy. He could separate from DBs. Now maybe the DBs in the Pac10 were slow that year, making him look better than he was, but I think he has potential in the slot or at weak-side wideout. The quick slant and the post routes use that burst of speed to take advantage of man coverage teams use against the run. Ever notice how Kevin Walter is always tackled immediately after catching the ball? That ability to separate is something KW has never had.

Jeans' preseason performance showed potential and he's probably a better fit at weak-side wideout.

I've been looking at this year's group of receivers since last year's draft and really don't see anyone that's a starter after Michael Floyd (and thus worth a first round pick imo). Jeffrey, Wright, Jones, and Hill all run routes poorly or slowly or both, and Jeffrey looks like he's about two pork chops away from being a tight end. Neither Blackmon or Floyd are worth trading up very high to acquire, but if Floyd fell as far as #15 or #16 I could see the value if we could get him for only an additional second round pick.

This may be what they eventually have to do to replace Andre Johnson but I don't really see the wideout of my dreams in this draft...next year's receivers don't look any better at this point.

Now none of this means they shouldn't give any of those four receivers a tickle if they're still around at #58.

Don't be surprised if Uncle Wade gets the first pick for the defense.

CloakNNNdagger
03-20-2012, 07:09 AM
I posted this is the college/draft section of the forum....

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/McNair-sounds-off-on-free-agency/7d442566-7017-4f72-b989-a0445b82f5a9

towards the end of the interview, mcnair was asked how where and what kind of WR houston will target.

He responded with in the draft and put a lot of emphasis on speed.Said the guys in FA a similar to what we have already and again we need more speed.

This year's NFL Combine 40's as a whole were relatively slow as compared to past years. The WR group followed this trend. Stephen Hill and Michael Floyd seem to be the only large WRs with lower times.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2012/nfl-combine-results.cfm?pos=WR

aussie_texan
03-20-2012, 07:36 AM
This year's NFL Combine 40's as a whole were relatively slow as compared to past years. The WR group followed this trend. Stephen Hill and Michael Floyd seem to be the only large WRs with lower times.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2012/nfl-combine-results.cfm?pos=WR

nick toon from Wisconsin ran well and VERY well at his pro day.
theres some smaller guys like broyles and hilton who are pretty quick as well

Lucky
03-20-2012, 07:47 AM
i think that the texans won't pick an O-lineman in the first 3 rounds based of their philosophy. apart from Brown which other o-lineman we drafted in the first half of the draft.
Caldwell was taken in the 3rd round in 2009. Charles Spencer and Eric Winston were taken with back to back picks at the top of the 2006 3rd round.

Throughout, the the franchise history, the Texans have drafted to fill needs at the top of the draft. Of course, many of those years the team had so many holes it wasn't difficult to find a player of value at a need position. It was thought that the Texans would be past the point of drafting for need, and looking for depth in 2012. With the "Texodus" the team has experienced this offseason, and the salary cap bearing down, it appears the draft will again be used to fill needs. As in years past, there are a lot of them. Including the O-line.
Tommy Streeter of Miami also fits the mold of what the Texans are looking for at WR (6'5", 220 lbs, 4.40). He's a little flaky, which could push Streeter to the bottom of 2nd round.

TejasTom
03-20-2012, 08:17 AM
I watched some video highlights of Maehl last year after the draft. He wasn't very fast but one thing stood out about the guy. He could separate from DBs. ...

3 Cone Drill Results last 7 years (http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012&workout=THREE_CONE_DRILL&position=QB-RB-WR-TE-S-DL-LB-CB-OL-SPEC)

Not fast but extremely quick.

For the last 7 years.
Maehl had best time at 3 Cone drill @ 6.42
8th best 20 Yard Shuttle @ 3.94
5th best 60 Yard Shuttle @ 10.88

CloakNNNdagger
03-20-2012, 08:18 AM
Tommy Streeter of Miami also fits the mold of what the Texans are looking for at WR (6'5", 220 lbs, 4.40). He's a little flaky, which could push Streeter to the bottom of 2nd round.

I forgot all about Streeter. From everything I've read he has a strong work ethic, sort of like AJ. How did you mean "flakey?"

TejasTom
03-20-2012, 08:37 AM
I forgot all about Streeter. From everything I've read he has a strong work ethic, sort of like AJ. How did you mean "flakey?"

Not sure what he meant but I found this:
maturing (has admitted to improving his attitude from last year to this year) at NFLMocks.com (http://nflmocks.com/2011/12/08/2-tommy-streeter-scouting-report-wr-miami-hurricanes/)

And if this scouting report didn't have his name at the top I would think they were talking about Jacoby Jones. Yard Barker Scouting Report on Tommy Streeter (http://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/tommy_streeter_scouting_report/10277968)

badboy
03-20-2012, 04:48 PM
It seems like a lot of people leave out briesel when talking about foster and going from udfa's to studs.

Chris meyers was drafted pretty late as well. Kw was a 7th rounder. Vonta leach was picked up off the scrap heap. He'll Jeremiah Johnson was looking like he was going to be a really good player in our system. He was looking just as impressive as foster did.

Would it really surprise you if one of the "forgotten wr's" rose to a prominent status from obscurity?

I don't think it's about lightning striking twice. This regime has been damn good at finding talented players that fit well in what they do.

Of course I'd like to see a top tier talent taken as well, but I don't think it's out of the question that they actually semi-believe in some of the guys already with the team.Rey, Myers was a trade for us and started immediately. We need immediate help imo at RG and WR2.

Johnson should have been kept, loved that dude.

badboy
03-20-2012, 04:57 PM
I watched some video highlights of Maehl last year after the draft. He wasn't very fast but one thing stood out about the guy. He could separate from DBs. Now maybe the DBs in the Pac10 were slow that year, making him look better than he was, but I think he has potential in the slot or at weak-side wideout. The quick slant and the post routes use that burst of speed to take advantage of man coverage teams use against the run. Ever notice how Kevin Walter is always tackled immediately after catching the ball? That ability to separate is something KW has never had.

Jeans' preseason performance showed potential and he's probably a better fit at weak-side wideout.

I've been looking at this year's group of receivers since last year's draft and really don't see anyone that's a starter after Michael Floyd (and thus worth a first round pick imo). Jeffrey, Wright, Jones, and Hill all run routes poorly or slowly or both, and Jeffrey looks like he's about two pork chops away from being a tight end. Neither Blackmon or Floyd are worth trading up very high to acquire, but if Floyd fell as far as #15 or #16 I could see the value if we could get him for only an additional second round pick.

This may be what they eventually have to do to replace Andre Johnson but I don't really see the wideout of my dreams in this draft...next year's receivers don't look any better at this point.

Now none of this means they shouldn't give any of those four receivers a tickle if they're still around at #58.

Don't be surprised if Uncle Wade gets the first pick for the defense.Wonder what Wright yardage would have been if he had been a "good" route runner?

Texecutioner
03-20-2012, 05:49 PM
The forgotten WR's?? That's probably because they are guys that haven't done anything to be remembered by.

These guys are project players. Maybe one of them could take JJ's spot, but other than that there really isn't anything to wonder about with these guys. We need upgrades pretty bad.

TimeKiller
03-20-2012, 06:45 PM
What about Tolliver? Was that his name? Big tall guy...LSU I think?

What about Dickerson? Speaking of projects and wildly bad results...you think Dickerson maybe had an attitude? Or said something someone important didn't like? I thought he had great potential.

tak3ov3r
04-10-2012, 10:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4_Wupiz3_I

Recent vid of Lestar Jean working out.

gtexan02
04-10-2012, 10:56 AM

What a bizarre looking work out

rush2112mn
04-10-2012, 11:01 AM

Keep these names in mind when we don't see the Texans go WR before the 4th round.

I want to see what Jean can do......he has good size and speed.....

welsh texan
04-10-2012, 11:41 AM
What about Tolliver? Was that his name? Big tall guy...LSU I think?

What about Dickerson? Speaking of projects and wildly bad results...you think Dickerson maybe had an attitude? Or said something someone important didn't like? I thought he had great potential.

It was a pretty hard-fought camp battle at WR last off-season, a lot of injuries also allowed the team to get a real good look at all these guys, they got rid of Dickerson because they saw more both now and for the future from other guys they'd picked up. The Texans nailed the UDFA WR class last season, people were ecstatic that they'd gone out and signed all the talent available, not just one guy.

That doesn't mean they'll definitely get anything from them long term, but they got the best chance they could.

I think if they can't find someone who's going to come in and contribute from day 1 in the first round, then they should take a couple a bit later on to develop, they need to end up with 2 starting caliber WRs in 2 or 3 years, but not at the cost of passing up someone who makes our team better during that time frame with their #1 pick.

Rey
04-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Rey, Myers was a trade for us and started immediately. We need immediate help imo at RG and WR2.

Johnson should have been kept, loved that dude.

My point was that late round guys and UDFA's making an impact or becoming solid players is not something out of the ordinary.

But I was not saying that to suggest that we shouldn't look to fill holes with early draft picks.

I agree that we should look at WR early in the draft.

BattleRedRock
04-10-2012, 04:05 PM

Cushing aka chuck norris should have recruited the whole team to work out with him at Genesis, can you imagine the whole team in beast mode?! Everyone faster, stronger, quicker, and intense.. id be willing to bet that if AJ went to Genesis with Cushing barwin and JJ Watt that he wouldnt pull a hamstring this year he would cause secondaries to pull their hamstrings..

Cushing doesnt do push ups, he pushes the world down! :kingkong:

drs23
04-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Cushing aka chuck norris should have recruited the whole team to work out with him at Genesis, can you imagine the whole team in beast mode?! Everyone faster, stronger, quicker, and intense.. id be willing to bet that if AJ went to Genesis with Cushing barwin and JJ Watt that he wouldnt pull a hamstring this year he would cause secondaries to pull their hamstrings..

Cushing doesnt do push ups, he pushes the world down! :kingkong:

OK, that there was funny. I chuckled. :D

AnthonyE
04-11-2012, 03:04 AM
nick toon from Wisconsin ran well and VERY well at his pro day.
theres some smaller guys like broyles and hilton who are pretty quick as well

I haven't been keeping up with the draft this year so I had never heard of Nick Toon before. I thought it was a joke until I looked him up.

Maybe he should be sponsored by Nickelodeon and he can be their mascot.

http://www.awn.com/files/imagepicker/1/farago01_Nicktoons-CVR.jpg

Brisco_County
04-11-2012, 01:59 PM
3 Cone Drill Results last 7 years (http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012&workout=THREE_CONE_DRILL&position=QB-RB-WR-TE-S-DL-LB-CB-OL-SPEC)

Not fast but extremely quick.

For the last 7 years.
Maehl had best time at 3 Cone drill @ 6.42
8th best 20 Yard Shuttle @ 3.94
5th best 60 Yard Shuttle @ 10.88

This is what had me sold on Maehl last year. I'm convinced he'll be the Texans' slot receiver of the future.

Quick II Draw
04-11-2012, 02:13 PM
I haven't been keeping up with the draft this year so I had never heard of Nick Toon before. I thought it was a joke until I looked him up.

Nick Toon's father, Al Toon, was a great WR for the Jets. 3x All Pro / Pro Bowl, 517 catches, 6605 yards, 31 tds in 8 seasons.

76Texan
04-11-2012, 04:35 PM

When I said in the Garrett Graham scouting thread back then "to look for Nick Toon on Sunday", I didn't mean on Nickelodeon, LOL!

76Texan
04-11-2012, 04:38 PM
It was a pretty hard-fought camp battle at WR last off-season, a lot of injuries also allowed the team to get a real good look at all these guys, they got rid of Dickerson because they saw more both now and for the future from other guys they'd picked up. The Texans nailed the UDFA WR class last season, people were ecstatic that they'd gone out and signed all the talent available, not just one guy.

That doesn't mean they'll definitely get anything from them long term, but they got the best chance they could.

I think if they can't find someone who's going to come in and contribute from day 1 in the first round, then they should take a couple a bit later on to develop, they need to end up with 2 starting caliber WRs in 2 or 3 years, but not at the cost of passing up someone who makes our team better during that time frame with their #1 pick.

Agreed, I like both Maehl and Jean but neither has the potential to be a decent #1.

If we have the opportunity to get one in the first round, we should go for it to groom for the future.

kiwitexansfan
04-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Agreed, I like both Maehl and Jean but neither has the potential to be a decent #1.

If we have the opportunity to get one in the first round, we should go for it to groom for the future.

Did someone just mention Stephen Hill?

76Texan
04-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Did someone just mention Stephen Hill?

Yes sir, Hill is the name!

There's also a SUPER Sleeper named Dale Moss who had played just one season at a very small school. He played basketball before that. Hardly anybody has him on their draft board, but the guy may sneak into the third round (IMO).

Numerous big catches where he climbed the ladder like Hill (one-handed too) or in heavy traffic (sustaining multiple hits).
I've watched a ton of his tapes and came away very impressed.
There are highlights in several different places, I will have to dig for them.

His measurables are fantastic:
The 6'3", 213-pound receiver ran between 4.38-4.45 in the 40
An eye-popping 41.5 inches in the vertical jump, 10-feet-10 in the broad jump, and a 6.32 in the 3-cone drill.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1116504-2012-nfl-draft-sleeper-south-dakota-state-wr-dale-moss-has-amazing-pro-day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVcJR5aVtaM

Playoffs
04-14-2012, 06:59 PM
There's also a SUPER Sleeper named... Interesting. Looks like a bb player. Any game tape?

What do you see in AJ Jenkins?

BigSmooth1269
04-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Anyone else in here high on Brian Quick? Big former basketball player so you know he can jump. Pretty good combine numbers and seems like we could groom him. Drafts have him all over but I would love to snatch him round 2

76Texan
04-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Interesting. Looks like a bb player. Any game tape?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycby0P7End8&feature=related

You will have to google and look up highlights of indivual games from his team schedule, which is a pain in the Azz.

What do you see in AJ Jenkins?

Good college player now making the long list of second/third tier prospects at the next level.

We know he's got very good speed, almost a speed burner.
He's also quick, but not really ellusive.
Good hands that can stretch out for the catches.

His main negativity is the lack of physicality in his play.

Along the side line, he would let the CB pin him to the sideline too often, giving the QB less room to put the ball. He also needs to learn to compete for the ball better when the QB cannot be at top accuracy. He needs develop this phisicality to help out the QB better to prevent INT.

In the middle, he needs to work to use his body to shield the ball better and to work toward the ball better. There were instances where his lack of phisicality allowed DBs to crowd him out of the play or to get to the ball first for a pass break-up or an INT.

There were a couple of fumbles where it's hard to tell whether it's a ball security issue or the lack of srength.

It's up to the coaches to know whether they can work with him on the phisicality aspect, to get him to become more aggressive.
He needs to improve greatly on that to have the chance to become a number one receiver.
Actually, he needs to improve to become a number two receiver first.

I don't feel comfortable with him in the second round; the third round is probably more of an accurate grade for him (maybe even 4th), but there's potential in his speed and his hands.

76Texan
04-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Anyone else in here high on Brian Quick? Big former basketball player so you know he can jump. Pretty good combine numbers and seems like we could groom him. Drafts have him all over but I would love to snatch him round 2

Quick is another good prospect, but I also think that second round may be a bit high of a grade for him.

Dale Moss is slotted to go anywhere between the third and the sixth.
And I'm debating whether to put one guy ahead of the other.
It's tricky with these two guys since there aren't a lot of game tapes on them.

Goldensilence
04-16-2012, 05:13 PM

No one's talking about them because... well let's be honest they haven't done anything noteworthy.

Truth be told, and I know I keep banging this drum, this staff just has not done a good job with developing WRs.

IF either of these 3 makes any noteworthy contributions this next year I'll be pleasantly surprised because when it came down to it the staff gave nods last year to veterans over them when the chance for them to rise up mattered.

ArlingtonTexan
04-16-2012, 06:35 PM
No one's talking about them because... well let's be honest they haven't done anything noteworthy.

Truth be told, and I know I keep banging this drum, this staff just has not done a good job with developing WRs.

IF either of these 3 makes any noteworthy contributions this next year I'll be pleasantly surprised because when it came down to it the staff gave nods last year to veterans over them when the chance for them to rise up mattered.

Honestlly, in terms of replacement grade players, the texans really have not attempted to truly develop WRs... If I have this right (under McSmithiak) Jacoby (3rd), Anderson (7th), dickerson (7th and positional convert) isn't exactly investing in the position. Even if you add acquairing walter for a 7th and the too small KR they got mad at for not being a good WR, they have pretty much went we have a great one and bunches of darts throws to fill out the position.