PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for a big WR FA pool

Oz Texan
03-16-2012, 10:23 PM
There is one thing I'm greatful for is that this FA period had a large WR pool. Its taken some of our biggest competition for drafting WRs hopefully out of drafting WRs early and moving some of them our direction.

Teams needing WRs

Chicago: Signed Brandon Marshall
Tampa Bay: signed Vincent Jackson
Washington: Signed Piere Garcon, Josh Morgan

Thats 3 teams out of our way in the first round.

This maybe moves a Golden Domer named Floyd to 26 which would be a no brainer.

Mari-OWNED!
03-16-2012, 10:33 PM
I have my doubts that Michael Floyd will fall all the way down to #26 even with this deep class of free agent wideouts.

This is good news for maybe the likes of Kendall Wright, Stephen Hill, and/or Reuben Randle being available at that spot.

SW H-TOWN
03-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Personally I think Floyd will be long gone before 26. Browns and Rams still need a WR I believe. Before FA I thought that Wright would be long gone, now there is a pretty good chance he will be there when we pick. I just hope some team falls in love with Hill's combine numbers. I really like Wright, he has a ton of good tape. Just shows that making or predicting drafts before free agency is an exercise in futility.

DocBar
03-16-2012, 11:35 PM
If we could get Wright or Randle in the 1st and move up to get Hill in the 2nd, it would be as awesome as Watt and Reed last year.

texanhead08
03-16-2012, 11:37 PM
There has been some retarded contracts handed out to some of these WR's I think the worst was 42 million to Garcon.

pec0sb0b
03-16-2012, 11:49 PM
Wright, Hill and Randle are all second round picks, even if a club should reach for them in the first. None of them are day one starters and imho if a receiver is not ready to start day one, he's not worth a first round pick.

Second round is where the real value lies at wide receiver. All of those guys and more; Jeffery, Sanu, Jones, Toon, McNutt. All have great potential as second or third round picks.

pec0sb0b
03-16-2012, 11:53 PM
There has been some retarded contracts handed out to some of these WR's I think the worst was 42 million to Garcon.

Desean Jackson in Philly + five-year, $51 million = overpaid

XI CMURDER IX
03-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Wright, Hill and Randle are all second round picks, even if a club should reach for them in the first. None of them are day one starters and imho if a receiver is not ready to start day one, he's not worth a first round pick.

Second round is where the real value lies at wide receiver. All of those guys and more; Jeffery, Sanu, Jones, Toon, McNutt. All have great potential as second or third round picks.

Good points, but some will be day one starters and get drafted in the first round. Not all of the teams are going to wait until round two or three to take these guys. Just think back to last year when there were a lot of QBs drafted higher than there should have been. That is what will happen this year with wide receivers. I will go out and say that I think Randle is a day one starter however. If you count a #2 WR a starter that is.

Goldensilence
03-17-2012, 12:13 AM

Considering what it would've cost to tag him it's a great deal IMO. Dude is at least a top 10 WR and is a threat on special teams.

Garcon could very well could be just as good as Manning made him. I think his contract by far has been the worst for a WR.

I doubt Floyd drops to #26 regardless of who has gone where via FA.

pec0sb0b
03-17-2012, 12:35 AM
Good points, but some will be day one starters and get drafted in the first round. Not all of the teams are going to wait until round two or three to take these guys. Just think back to last year when there were a lot of QBs drafted higher than there should have been. That is what will happen this year with wide receivers. I will go out and say that I think Randle is a day one starter however. If you count a #2 WR a starter that is.

I totally agree. Teams always reach for skill players, it seems. Those QBs that were picked last year that work out will always be considered as shrewd picks and those that don't as reaches, or even busts. It's just that I think many WRs take time to mature, learning to run their routes, etc. and expecting them to start in the NFL as a rookie is a tall order. Here's hoping they all turn out to be Calvin Johnsons!

SW H-TOWN
03-17-2012, 12:41 AM
I would say Wright > Walter = Wright Day 1 Starter. Wright is a first round draft pick.

majestrate
03-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Just curious, why do you think he was overpaid?

TexanBacker93
03-17-2012, 12:46 AM

And I'm sure there were quite a few Texans fans upset because Smithiak didn't have every free agent in Houston on Tuesday afternoon so we could waste our money on them. Washington spends more than any other team every year. What's it gotten them?

The draft is there for a reason. You lose a few players each year and you replace them with cheaper draft picks. It's happened every year we've been around. The only difference is we've finally got players other teams want.

BullNation4Life
03-17-2012, 01:20 AM

veeeeeeeery overpaid.....

Allstar
03-17-2012, 01:46 AM
I would say Wright > Walter = Wright Day 1 Starter. Wright is a first round draft pick.

I don't know about that, Walter loves getting his hands dirty and we like our receivers fully committed to the run game, I don't know if Wright would be up to snuff right away.

SW H-TOWN
03-17-2012, 02:10 AM
Walter is a better blocker for sure but I would say that Wright is better at everything else and would be more productive overall. However, Kubiak is very loyal and puts a lot of importance on a WR ability to block so he would probably start Walter.

Rey
03-17-2012, 02:25 AM
Outside of Floyd or Blackmon I don't see a WR in the draft that I think would come in and start from day 1.

That is part of the reason I have backed off of my WR in the first round stance. Might as well wait to the second or third round because there will be lots of talented guys available.

I'm more inclined to add a beast to the O or D line...

Iceman16
03-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Wide receiver is one of the most difficult positions to pick up as a rookie. Do you only date supermodels, too?

TheMatrix31
03-17-2012, 02:48 AM

He's a selfish, cancerous, one-dimensional primadonna.

SW H-TOWN
03-17-2012, 02:54 AM
I probably like more than Wright more than most. When I see him I see a guy who I think could start from day one. The guy is fearless going across the middle, hands like glue, ability to separate, elusive, great yac ability. Floyd is a stud too. Ability to run over a CB, great redzone target, amazing body control and hands . To me they are both day one starters. Floyd ran faster at the combine but I don't think any scout or GM would tell you that Floyd is faster on the football field than Wright. 2 totally different types of receivers. I'm really interested in seeing them on the field. Like you said WR is really hard to pick up in the NFL but personally I think that this class has 3 great WR. I don't think that Hill or the guy from Rutgers or LSU will be good NFL receivers.

SW H-TOWN
03-17-2012, 03:00 AM

Yep!!! He also does not like to get hit. No like go over middle. Ask eagle fans. Probably avoided contact last year because he did not have a deal. Not an Arian Foster type of guy.

msbbc833
03-17-2012, 03:06 AM
The more I think about it.. the more I think the FO will skip drafting or signing a WR and just roll with what we have. :truck:

Really hope that doesn't happen

Allstar
03-17-2012, 03:57 AM
The more I think about it.. the more I think the FO will skip drafting or signing a WR and just roll with what we have. :truck:

Really hope that doesn't happen

Smith and Kubiak both stated at the combine that WR was on our to-do list for the offseason. I don't know if we'd take a WR not named Floyd at #26, but you can bet on the fact that we'll pick one up one way or another.

Brandon420tx
03-17-2012, 04:13 AM
Well, the Chargers, Rams, Jaguars, Bengals, Browns, and Dolphins could all be looking WR round 1. The Cardinals could take Floyd at 13, especially after all the mediocre talent they've accrued for their OLine.
Wouldn't shock me if the Titans picked up a falling WR before we could

Goldensilence
03-17-2012, 04:29 AM
Yep!!! He also does not like to get hit. No like go over middle. Ask eagle fans. Probably avoided contact last year because he did not have a deal. Not an Arian Foster type of guy.

Jackson is listed at 5'10 175. Do you expect a guy at his size that just loves going over the middle?! Even then that's not his game mostly. He's a legit downfield threat who can make people miss in the open field. If he is goin g over the middle its usually some sort of slip screen where he is capable of taking it into th end zone.

He's also a factor in the punt return game.

DocBar
03-17-2012, 06:31 AM
Jackson is listed at 5'10 175. Do you expect a guy at his size that just loves going over the middle?! Even then that's not his game mostly. He's a legit downfield threat who can make people miss in the open field. If he is goin g over the middle its usually some sort of slip screen where he is capable of taking it into th end zone.

He's also a factor in the punt return game.Ernest Givens and Drew Hill made quite a living going over the middle in the chuck and duck in the 80's and 90's. I'm not knocking Jackson or anything. The guy's a threat every time he touches the football.

SW H-TOWN
03-17-2012, 11:43 AM

He's also a factor in the punt return game.

Jackson is a great vertical threat and punt returner with great YAC ability. He is also a selfish prick who played not to get hurt last year. I don't expect or think he should go over the middle like my favorite insane commentator, Michael Irvin. However, this guy really avoided contact last year and not just a little bit. There is one play where the ball is intercepted and he sees that he is going to encounter minimal contact and just falls down. One of the weakest plays I have ever seen. I would pay him 6 or 7 million a year but he is no Mike Wallace or Dwayne Bowe. This guy makes more that Arian Foster. Who is the better football player? Who played scared and who played with heart with no contract extension? I would not pay 10 million to a selfish, plays not to get hurt player ever period.

leebigeztx
03-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Floyd doesn't play as fast as he was timed. I've watched a lot of him and he's nothing special. 11 ypc in college where guys run butt naked doesn't do it for me. Before anyone talks about his lack of qb,look at jeffery and his qb,yet he was at least 15ypc this year and 17 last yr. Don't even get me started on randle who is the sloppiest route runner in the draft. Again he didn't produce either.

rickyb
03-18-2012, 09:18 AM

^^^^ This.

Better them than us. 42M for Garcon. Sheesh.

This is a case study in how inflation works.

majestrate
03-19-2012, 12:22 AM

If I were DeJack last year, I'd have been walking around with that same attitude. My team gives out fat contracts like they're going out of style, and they can't offer me a new deal? Especially after having 2 years of 1k+ receiving yds?

These days, I wouldn't blame any receiver for refusing to go across the middle, or getting antsy and dropping balls because they're trying to protect themselves. Money's good, but this is just a game, and it's not worth adding even more risk of career-ending injuries (yes, it can happen at any time, on any play, that's the game; doesn't mean you have to increase the chances while on the field)

Kthx
03-19-2012, 10:34 PM
What do you mean these days you don't blame them, there are more rules in place today as opposed to the none they had ten years ago about receivers catching the ball. And as for dropping balls.. these guys get paid millions of dollars to catch balls and take hits, you think they shouldn't do there job so they don't get hurt? Try telling that to any of the other millions of people employed at jobs making under 50k a year doing any kind of physical labor. I am laughing right now about the idea of leaving water jugs at the start of peoples driveways and sidewalks instead of their front door because I was worried about the wear and tear on my body.

Anyways, sorry about going off on a wild tangent here but hearing that kind of crap from people annoys me.

rolyat93
03-20-2012, 12:35 AM

He's like a poor, homeless, crack addicts version of Randy Moss.

Goldensilence
03-20-2012, 12:50 AM
He's like a poor, homeless, crack addicts version of Randy Moss.

Not even close to the level of talent Moss had in his prime.

Jackson is a great vertical threat and punt returner with great YAC ability. He is also a selfish prick who played not to get hurt last year. I don't expect or think he should go over the middle like my favorite insane commentator, Michael Irvin. However, this guy really avoided contact last year and not just a little bit. There is one play where the ball is intercepted and he sees that he is going to encounter minimal contact and just falls down. One of the weakest plays I have ever seen. I would pay him 6 or 7 million a year but he is no Mike Wallace or Dwayne Bowe. This guy makes more that Arian Foster. Who is the better football player? Who played scared and who played with heart with no contract extension? I would not pay 10 million to a selfish, plays not to get hurt player ever period.

Honestly, I'm looking at what we have behind AJ and a player that is much reliable than Jones will ever be. I also think the Texans locker room is MUCH different than the Eagles and playing opposite of a guy like AJ and the example he makes would make a difference.

I would've loved to see him in steel blue or battle red.

Lucky
03-20-2012, 07:04 AM
This will probably fire up the pro-Kendall Wright crowd, but I see a lot of Troy Edwards in Wright. Big time college WR who made plays all over the field, but couldn't translate that success to the NFL. Edwards had difficulty getting off the line in press coverage and didn't have the 2nd gear to separate deep. A slot receiver, at best. That's basically how I see Wright.

Having said that, I think Wright could be a very good slot receiver in the right system, like with the Patriots. If he gets free release into the secondary, Wright can get open on crossing routes and make some stuff happen after the catch. But that skill doesn't match up with what teams look for in the 1st round.

steelbtexan
03-20-2012, 07:31 AM
And I'm sure there were quite a few Texans fans upset because Smithiak didn't have every free agent in Houston on Tuesday afternoon so we could waste our money on them. Washington spends more than any other team every year. What's it gotten them?

The draft is there for a reason. You lose a few players each year and you replace them with cheaper draft picks. It's happened every year we've been around. The only difference is we've finally got players other teams want.

Funny how when the Texans spent the $$$$ on top tier FA's last yr they made the playoffs for the 1st time in a decade.

While I agree with your premise on draft>FA. It realy takes a combination of the draft/FA to be successful in todays NFL.

Instead of using the Redskins as the model. (Buying fully into Billionaire BoBBy) Look at the Pats/Jets/Philly/Saints as teams that make the playoffs consistently that add to their team through the draft/FA.

The team that we are the closest model to is the 49ers. Build thru the draft, then add in FA and make the playoffs despite avg/below avg QB play.

steelbtexan
03-20-2012, 07:48 AM
Floyd doesn't play as fast as he was timed. I've watched a lot of him and he's nothing special. 11 ypc in college where guys run butt naked doesn't do it for me. Before anyone talks about his lack of qb,look at jeffery and his qb,yet he was at least 15ypc this year and 17 last yr. Don't even get me started on randle who is the sloppiest route runner in the draft. Again he didn't produce either.

When Floyd had Golden Tate with him his YPC was very high.(Dont feel like looking it up.) From his freshman yr when I 1st saw Floyd, I thought that guy looks like he's a pro WR. That's how I judge 1st rd WR talent. The Texans would be extremely lucky if Floyd fell to 26. They should sprint to (God Goodell) with their card.

I feel the same about Jeffery, except he got lazy between his Jr/Sr yrs. If you want a big WR with great hands/Red Zone target Jeffery is your guy. With pro coaching and a little dedication Jeffery could be the best WR in this draft.

Randle- If you had the dynamic duo of Jefferson/Lee throwing you the ball you would look like you ran terrible routes too. Those guys flat out couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

majestrate
03-20-2012, 07:52 AM
What do you mean these days you don't blame them, there are more rules in place today as opposed to the none they had ten years ago about receivers catching the ball. And as for dropping balls.. these guys get paid millions of dollars to catch balls and take hits, you think they shouldn't do there job so they don't get hurt? Try telling that to any of the other millions of people employed at jobs making under 50k a year doing any kind of physical labor. I am laughing right now about the idea of leaving water jugs at the start of peoples driveways and sidewalks instead of their front door because I was worried about the wear and tear on my body.

Anyways, sorry about going off on a wild tangent here but hearing that kind of crap from people annoys me.
The game has changed in the last ten years because it's had to compensate for the change in athleticism. People that tend to forget, or worse conveniently overlook, that always annoy me.

There's a difference between dealing with wear and tear, and doing what you have to do to protect yourself. If your job is to haul water jugs, and you're going up a set of stairs with one, and you start to fall backwards, I'd fully expect you to drop the jug and do what you need to, in order to not risk becoming severly injured. Evidently, in your mind, you'd fall down the stairs while trying to keep the water jug safe, regardless of the risk involved.

steelbtexan
03-20-2012, 07:52 AM

Yep, ever since Dunta almost killed Jackson on a crossing route 2 yrs ago. Jackson avoids contact like the plague. Cant say I wouldn't have done the same in a contract yr.

SW H-TOWN
03-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Yep, ever since Dunta almost killed Jackson on a crossing route 2 yrs ago. Jackson avoids contact like the plague. Cant say I wouldn't have done the same in a contract yr.

Exactly, you have watched him play. Arian Foster was in the same type of situation, vastly underpaid but Arian acted a LITTLE different on and off the field.

SW H-TOWN
03-20-2012, 10:08 AM

This will probably fire up the pro-Kendall Wright crowd, but I see a lot of Troy Edwards in Wright. Big time college WR who made plays all over the field, but couldn't translate that success to the NFL. Edwards had difficulty getting off the line in press coverage and didn't have the 2nd gear to separate deep. A slot receiver, at best. That's basically how I see Wright.

Having said that, I think Wright could be a very good slot receiver in the right system, like with the Patriots. If he gets free release into the secondary, Wright can get open on crossing routes and make some stuff happen after the catch. But that skill doesn't match up with what teams look for in the 1st round.

Very very good comparison Lucky, and you might very well be right. Lord knows I have been wrong before. This draft is a crap shoot. I wanted Revis over Okoye but last year I wanted Cam Jordan and Old Miss Texan wanted J.J. Watt. I would tell him Jordan has experience in the 3-4 and Watt is making a bunch of ankle tackles while Jordan is driving QB´s into the ground. My man would say yea but Watt has more upside and will be the better player. It looks like I was just a little wrong on that one :kubepalm:. Concerning Wright, he played slot his junior year if I remember correctly and was good but not great. When put on the outside as a senior he had his breakout season. This is how I see it, Dre will get double teamed and the strong safety will have one eye on Arian Foster, especially with the play action. This is the perfect recipe a for a guy with Wright´s skill set. If he makes his guy miss watch out, thank you, bye bye. I sure hope I am correct in my evaluation but you never know, especially with a WR, until he gets on the field. Good take man.

majestrate
03-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Exactly, you have watched him play. Arian Foster was in the same type of situation, vastly underpaid but Arian acted a LITTLE different on and off the field.Tea in China

Arian Foster went well above and beyond what he needed to in order to secure his job for the next 5 years. DeJack did what he needed to in order to get what he wanted. Just saying that I don't fault him for that. Now, after year 2 of his new contract, if he's not back to his numbers from 2009/2010, then I'll jump on the "overpaid, crap receiver" bandwagon

steelbtexan
03-20-2012, 10:15 AM
You can get the same thing from Jarius Wright in the 5th rd as you get from Kendall Wright in the 1st. With AJ drawing the FS and the SS having to drop into the box to stop AF.

The really need to draft a CB, an OT/OG swing type guy and depth OLB. IMHO Not to mention a late rd NT type.

With that said I hope they draft BPA at position of need.

Allstar
03-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Dane Brugler ‏ @dpbrugler

Texans coaches also spent a considerable amount of time with WR K. Wright today. Would need to trade up, but don't rule it out #NFLDraft

Ryan
03-21-2012, 04:51 PM
I like Wright. I think he'd be probably the most ready to play right away and would be a great complement to AJ, but i like the upside of Stephen Hill more.

CloakNNNdagger
03-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Dane Brugler ‏ @dpbrugler

Texans coaches also spent a considerable amount of time with WR K. Wright today. Would need to trade up, but don't rule it out #NFLDraft

If we do choose Wright in the 1st round, he will be the first 1st round WR under 6' since Percy Harvin was picked in 2009.

Rey
03-21-2012, 05:31 PM
I love Kendall Wright as a football player...

SW H-TOWN
03-21-2012, 09:01 PM
I love Kendall Wright as a football player...

How long do you think it would take him to break into the lineup? I really like this guy. We might have to trade our #99 to get him after he ran well at his pro day.

jradMIT
03-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Honestly, I think Wright could be the next Steve Smith. They are about the same size and skill set. He would be a great compliment to AJ and deadly in the PA.

msbbc833
03-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Why would we draft a 5'10" guy? Is it because we have a leaper on the other side with AJ?

jradMIT
03-22-2012, 12:32 AM
Why would we draft a 5'10" guy? Is it because we have a leaper on the other side with AJ?

Would you draft Steve Smith? Plus Wright had a 41 inch vertical.

SW H-TOWN
03-22-2012, 08:49 AM

You do not draft a player because he is tall you draft draft a player because he is good. He does share some of the same characteristics as Steve Smith but he is not freakishly strong. However, a guy like Wright who can stretch the field as well as make a guy miss and take it to the house would be a great complement to Andre and Arian. He will also go over the middle and is very confident on the field but not a trouble maker or diva in the locker room. The Browns and Rams need a wide receiver, Miami as well but it has been widely reported that they like the Texas A&M QB. If the Texans do decide that Wright is their guy I could see them trading pick #99 to change spots with the Bengals.