PDA

View Full Version : Texans UFA visits (leavers)

ArlingtonTexan
03-15-2012, 02:24 AM
We all know about Mario in Buffalo, so

ArlingtonTexan
03-15-2012, 02:25 AM
Eric Winston (Miami, KC)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/15/eric-winston-to-visit-chiefs-on-thursday/

ArlingtonTexan
03-15-2012, 02:27 AM
Mike Briesel (Raiders)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/15/raiders-hosting-free-agent-guard-mike-brisiel/

Trap_Star
03-15-2012, 02:27 AM
so who is going to come and visit houston?....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

ArlingtonTexan
03-15-2012, 02:31 AM
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/03/new_orleans_saints_will_bring_2.html

Joel Dressen Saints

Fili
03-15-2012, 02:32 AM
Dreessen to Saints...

dream_team
03-15-2012, 02:59 AM
Dreessen to Saints...

Am I the only one that doesn't care if Dreesen doesn't re-sign? I'd like to see Graham step up and show what he can do.

Fili
03-15-2012, 03:10 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't care if Dreesen doesn't re-sign? I'd like to see Graham step up and show what he can do.

That's the thing we don't know what he can do. Could be good or bad. If we end up losing Dreessen we'll probably draft a TE.

BullNation4Life
03-15-2012, 03:22 AM

Graham hell, put Casey back a TE and let he a Daniels own the AFC...

dream_team
03-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Graham hell, put Casey back a TE and let he a Daniels own the AFC...

I was actually hoping for this... But now they released Vickers, looks like Casey is staying at FB.

Playoffs
03-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Texans likely to lose DE/LB Mario Williams, but their free agent center Chris Myers also is visiting today with the Tennessee Titans.

TheRealJoker
03-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Dreesen is perhaps our most underrated player... but he's also at arguably our strongest position depth wise.

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 10:03 AM

I wouldn't cry if he left. Not only is there Graham but Casey is so versitale you can do a lot of different thigns with him. So at the end of the day if Dreessen leaves..... Meh!

GP
03-15-2012, 10:06 AM
I don't even care anymore.

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 10:09 AM
I was actually hoping for this... But now they released Vickers, looks like Casey is staying at FB.

Casey is a capable TE #2 and can do the job. I would much rather see the team replace the FB position with a 6/7th round pick, than the TE#2 spot. Fullbacks are a dime a dozen, and they aren't something you want to invest heavily in due to the wear and tear they take.

dinkatoid
03-15-2012, 12:05 PM
You don't even really need to draft a fullback, there are usually a few decent ones in free agency after the draft. Dallas had a good one last year (if he recovers from an inner-ear problem that caused him to get released) that would be great.

GP
03-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Casey is a capable TE #2 and can do the job. I would much rather see the team replace the FB position with a 6/7th round pick, than the TE#2 spot. Fullbacks are a dime a dozen, and they aren't something you want to invest heavily in due to the wear and tear they take.

We need receiving threats, especially if we lose Dreessen. So I'm onboard with your ideas.

Casey is a guy who can line up on the end of the line, at TE, and become either a blocking TE (essentially a FB split out wide) or he can release off the LOS and pose extremely severe mismatches for LBs in the NFL. His hands are incredible, and AJ says he thinks he has the best hands on the team. That says something.

If they stick him at FB, I think it's a mistake.

TexanBacker93
03-15-2012, 10:50 PM
That's the thing we don't know what he can do. Could be good or bad. If we end up losing Dreessen we'll probably draft a TE.

Based on some of our drafts, we'd draft a TE even if we did re-sign him.

b0ng
03-15-2012, 11:35 PM
We need receiving threats, especially if we lose Dreessen. So I'm onboard with your ideas.

Casey is a guy who can line up on the end of the line, at TE, and become either a blocking TE (essentially a FB split out wide) or he can release off the LOS and pose extremely severe mismatches for LBs in the NFL. His hands are incredible, and AJ says he thinks he has the best hands on the team. That says something.

If they can use Casey like they did in the NO game I don't think it'd be a mistake at all, and would actually be pretty innovative. Just have to hope Casey can stay together and not get injured again.

dalemurphy
03-15-2012, 11:57 PM
Before panic grows, remember that when free agency started there were over 500 unrestricted free agents. I believe less than 20% have signed new deals. According to PFT, I think, 62 of their top 100 free agents are still available.

So, there is a very large pool of very good players still on the market but not much money to buy them... The Texans have played this beautifully. They simply need to close the deal by making wise decisions on the leftovers. There are a LOT of good deals to be made the next couple weeks.

Norg
03-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Yes i wanna see Casey at Tight End along with OD

if we really want a FB u can get one in Undrafted players or wait in F/a til some of the gems cant find a team and there price comes back down to earth

so yes losing Dressen is not that big of a deal IMO

Dutchrudder
03-16-2012, 01:42 PM
RT @GeoffHobsonCin: #Bengals confirm visits of DL Jamaal Anderson, CB Jason Allen, CB Tracy Porter

If he gets a deal, it would help give us a buffer when signing low-end FAs in hopes of getting a comp pick for Mario.

Naiirb
03-17-2012, 07:13 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/181155539445751809

Jason Allen signs with the Bengals per Schefter. Kareem full time at CB2 now? uhhh =/

Grams
03-17-2012, 07:18 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/17/eric-winston-is-the-chiefs-new-right-tackle/

Winston to the Chiefs.

thunderkyss
03-17-2012, 07:28 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/17/eric-winston-is-the-chiefs-new-right-tackle/

Winston to the Chiefs.

Good for him. Really. As much as I didn't care for Eric Winston the football player, I liked him as a person & enjoyed The Right Stuff.

G27RR
03-17-2012, 07:38 PM

Winston to the Chiefs.

"Shoring up a longtime trouble spot in Kansas City, Winston will slot in as Barry Richardson’s replacement at right tackle. Richardson, a free agent, has been a turnstile in pass protection over the past two seasons."

That's a little ironic, since the knock against Winston here was his pass pro.

le14
03-17-2012, 07:39 PM

Winston to the Chiefs.

I haven't seen a release on the terms of his contract but it was reported they wanted to make him the highest paid RT in the NFL ( Matt Miller writes via Twitter, “Word has it Chiefs are prepared to make Winston the highest paid RT in the game. Serious talks today.”).

My question is, how come the Texans just didn't try to trade him for a pick or something else instead of just cutting. I would think he would at least bring in a 3rd or maybe even a 2nd (But I wouldn't mind Brandon Flowers from the Chiefs LOL)?

Playoffs
03-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Mario
Winston,
Vickers,
Brisiel,
Allen...

NFL writers are calling this, the Texodus.

CloakNNNdagger
03-17-2012, 08:56 PM

FBs must take a great deal of direct violent trauma. They need to be built tank-like to take it. Casey is not. In their violent blocking contacts, they are expected to push their opponents to the side, the exact motion that leads to pec strains/ruptures. If the Texans insist on Casey to take the role of a FB even part time as required by an H-back, you will see him watching many more games from the sideline .

Premier
03-17-2012, 10:30 PM
FBs must take a great deal of direct violent trauma. They need to be built tank-like to take it. Casey is not. .

i beg to differ on james casey not being built like a tank..

http://jamescasey.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/James-Casey-make-TD-catch.jpg

hes almost peyton hillis like in regards to build, i still think casey could get stronger given the off-season to focus on the FB position. either way, still think he will be better utilized at TE and the texans will find a thumper somewhere late in the draft or in the UDFA pool.. i really hope dreesen signs elsewhere.. ready to let casey beast..

CloakNNNdagger
03-17-2012, 11:05 PM
i beg to differ on james casey not being built like a tank..

http://jamescasey.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/James-Casey-make-TD-catch.jpg

hes almost peyton hillis like in regards to build, i still think casey could get stronger given the off-season to focus on the FB position. either way, still think he will be better utilized at TE and the texans will find a thumper somewhere late in the draft or in the UDFA pool.. i really hope dreesen signs elsewhere.. ready to let casey beast..

Hillis all through college was 6"1" and 240 pounds. All of a sudden once he got into the NFL he grew to 6'2" and by all sources between 250 and 255 pounds. Casey at 6'3" now shrunk from his Rice height of 6'4" and expectedly increased from his college 235 pound frame to 243 pounds. Casey has a markedly different physique than Hillis.

J P Foschi is an example of one of the most effective FB/H-back/TE's. 6'3" 265 pounds.

http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/zip/2010/02-February/foschi-jp-09/foschi09-5--nfl_large_590_Unlimited.jpg

thunderkyss
03-17-2012, 11:18 PM
http://www.ravensgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Leach.jpg

That's what a fullback looks like. 6-0 260lbs.

Built like a tank.

ArlingtonTexan
03-18-2012, 09:58 AM
I haven't seen a release on the terms of his contract but it was reported they wanted to make him the highest paid RT in the NFL ( Matt Miller writes via Twitter, “Word has it Chiefs are prepared to make Winston the highest paid RT in the game. Serious talks today.”).

My question is, how come the Texans just didn't try to trade him for a pick or something else instead of just cutting. I would think he would at least bring in a 3rd or maybe even a 2nd (But I wouldn't mind Brandon Flowers from the Chiefs LOL)?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/17/winston-gets-22-million-over-four-years/

4 Years 22 million

False Start
03-18-2012, 10:41 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/17/winston-gets-22-million-over-four-years/

4 Years 22 million

Chiefs fans reaction to the signing (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257273). They think they really got something, with a 157 page thread. :spit:

thunderkyss
03-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Chiefs fans reaction to the signing (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257273). They think they really got something, with a 157 page thread. :spit:

WHo's their OC & QB coach?

If they can teach Cassel (or whoever their QB is) to get the ball out on time, they'll be ok. I've been down on Winston for a long time, I've said he's the worst player on our OL with the exception of 2011 Wade Smith.

But that's still something (we had the best OL (I think) over the last two seasons, bar none).

Winston has issues with speed rushers.. small speed rushers. Against most DEs, he holds his own as well as anyone. I knew Cameron Wake was going to give him problems. I pretty much knew every pass rusher that was going to be an issue for him. I have no doubt the coaches knew as well & they installed their game plan accordingly.

It won't be any different in KC. Winston is a cog, & a pretty decent cog.

hookinreds
03-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Dreesen now going to meet with Bengals after leaving NOLA without a contract. https://twitter.com/#!/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/181565345235091456

Norg
03-19-2012, 01:46 AM
after we kicked de Bengals butt twice there like damm i need some of dem texans players LOL

le14
03-19-2012, 02:28 AM

any thoughts?

Grams
03-19-2012, 07:34 AM
any thoughts?

Maybe they did and no one wanted to trade. They had to get under the cap for the start of the league year and decided that he was the one.

G27RR
03-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Maybe they did and no one wanted to trade. They had to get under the cap for the start of the league year and decided that he was the one.

Also, look at it as if you're a team in need of a RT.

1. Are you in need of Winston specifically?
No, because there are other UFA RTs out there and the draft is next month.

2. Would you like Winston?
Yes, maybe.

3. Do you like Winston enough to spend a draft pick plus his high salary to get him?
Maybe not, see the answer to #1.

4. So, if you're another team, why spend a draft pick to get him?
You know free agency is coming up, and if the Texans are shopping Winston, there is a chance they may be cutting him soon for salary cap reasons. If they aren't looking to get rid of him for cap reasons, you have to start asking yourself "why is it the Texans suddenly don't want him anymore? injury? other issues we don't know about?" That would make me wait and see if I could get him as an UFA if he hits the market. I might even get him for less than his Texans contract, and I don't lose a draft pick. If I don't get him, who cares? He doesn't play an elite position where he is a "have to have" kind of guy. Also, see the answer to #1.

So, that could have been what happened.

le14
03-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Also, look at it as if you're a team in need of a RT.

1. Are you in need of Winston specifically?
No, because there are other UFA RTs out there and the draft is next month.

2. Would you like Winston?
Yes, maybe.

3. Do you like Winston enough to spend a draft pick plus his high salary to get him?
Maybe not, see the answer to #1.

4. So, if you're another team, why spend a draft pick to get him?
You know free agency is coming up, and if the Texans are shopping Winston, there is a chance they may be cutting him soon for salary cap reasons. If they aren't looking to get rid of him for cap reasons, you have to start asking yourself "why is it the Texans suddenly don't want him anymore? injury? other issues we don't know about?" That would make me wait and see if I could get him as an UFA if he hits the market. I might even get him for less than his Texans contract, and I don't lose a draft pick. If I don't get him, who cares? He doesn't play an elite position where he is a "have to have" kind of guy. Also, see the answer to #1.

So, that could have been what happened.

Good points. I felt as though it your another team his salary isn't a big deal since he got signed for about the price he was under contract anyways, but instead of bidding for his services in FA and losing, you could trade a 4-6th round pick for him and guaranteed that he is on your squad. A 4-6th round pick isn't much to shore up your RT position, but I can see why I team wouldn't do it and why a team would. Just random thoughts and if I was the Texans, I woud have taken anything I could have gotten for him (i'm pretty sure they tried though but they liked Winston enough to cut him and let him choose).

Grams
03-19-2012, 06:10 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/19/bengals-announce-four-more-free-agent-visitors/

Dreessen to the Bungles

Vinny
03-19-2012, 06:12 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/19/bengals-announce-four-more-free-agent-visitors/

Dreessen to the Bungleslooks like we draft another TE

ObsiWan
03-19-2012, 07:03 PM
looks like we draft another TE

Don't we always do that anyway?
:backsout:

seriously though, they haven't signed him yet.
right now it's just a visit.

Vinny
03-19-2012, 07:16 PM
thanks for the correction...had to delete a tweet

Dutchrudder
03-20-2012, 12:38 AM
looks like we draft another TE

I won't mind at all if it's in the 4th or later. We need a WR, NT, Olineman (or two) before we get a TE though.

ArlingtonTexan
03-20-2012, 02:00 AM
Free agent TE Joel Dreessen is scheduled to visit the Titans on Tuesday. Analysis: Dreessen visited the Saints on Sunday and the Bengals on Monday. The Titans visit will be his third of the free agency period. Though Tennessee has yet to release Daniel Graham, it likely would if Dreessen was added behind Jared Cook. The Titans have Craig Stevens as their primary blocking tight end.

PER KFFL.COM

Looks like Dressen is enjoying being wanted. Seriously, this is might be that guy's last chance to get a contract above veteran minimum, so finding the right place and $$ for him is essential at this point.

kiwitexansfan
03-20-2012, 03:31 AM
Free agent TE Joel Dreessen is scheduled to visit the Titans on Tuesday. Analysis: Dreessen visited the Saints on Sunday and the Bengals on Monday. The Titans visit will be his third of the free agency period. Though Tennessee has yet to release Daniel Graham, it likely would if Dreessen was added behind Jared Cook. The Titans have Craig Stevens as their primary blocking tight end.

PER KFFL.COM

Looks like Dressen is enjoying being wanted. Seriously, this is might be that guy's last chance to get a contract above veteran minimum, so finding the right place and $$ for him is essential at this point.

Cue rant about players being all about the money. :roast:

Dutchrudder
03-20-2012, 10:07 AM

Honestly, we probably can't offer him more than 2 million in 2012. I would imagine he signs somewhere for about 3 million a year average. He's certainly a nice #2 TE to have on any team as he can block and catch well. If nothing else, we will get a comp pick for him next year, though I would prefer to have him back.

Insideop
03-20-2012, 10:16 AM
I won't mind at all if it's in the 4th or later. We need a WR, NT, Olineman (or two) before we get a TE though.

Add Kicker and RB to that list if we lose Rackers and Ward. Anyone heard anything on Rackers and Ward yet? Not too worried about Ward, but I'd hate to have to go out and start looking for another Kicker in FA or the Draft. Still not to sure about the Punting situation either.

Dutchrudder
03-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Add Kicker and RB to that list if we lose Rackers and Ward. Anyone heard anything on Rackers and Ward yet? Not too worried about Ward, but I'd hate to have to go out and start looking for another Kicker in FA or the Draft. Still not to sure about the Punting situation either.

I think the Texans will draft a kicker in the 5/6/7th round. RB as well, but Foster and Tate are plenty for us right now. They did so well sharing the load last year that Ward wasn't even a factor. We should be fine filling the RB #3 position with an UDFA or a scrapheap free agent.

Bulls on Parade
03-20-2012, 11:07 AM
I think the Texans will draft a kicker in the 5/6/7th round. RB as well, but Foster and Tate are plenty for us right now. They did so well sharing the load last year that Ward wasn't even a factor. We should be fine filling the RB #3 position with an UDFA or a scrapheap free agent.
Any chance of bringing back Chris Ogbonnaya to be the third-string running back? It seemed like we let him get away too fast and the Browns snagged him up. Then again he's probably good enough to either start or be getting his share of carries on the Browns.

Dutchrudder
03-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Any chance of bringing back Chris Ogbonnaya to be the third-string running back? It seemed like we let him get away too fast and the Browns snagged him up. Then again he's probably good enough to either start or be getting his share of carries on the Browns.

He's under contract with Cleveland. He was their starting RB towards the end of the season due to Hardesty being out with a strained calf and Peyton Hillis being out due to menstrual cramps.

michaelm
03-20-2012, 12:37 PM

Ward is a scrap heap free agent.

Texaninlild
03-20-2012, 12:41 PM
I thought it was a requirement that everyone on our team has played TE in their HS or college career??

Playoffs
03-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Mark Berman ‏ @MarkBermanFox26 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Free agent TE Joel Dreessen, who has visited the Saints and Bengals, will now meet with the Titans.

GP
03-20-2012, 03:14 PM

Nah. Unless he says trash about us when he leaves, like Mario did.

Notice we don't hear Jason Allen, as he heads to the Bengals, making tweets that contain little jabs at Houston. Nor from Brisiel. Nor from Winston.

Just Mario. He's talented, but you can see he's insecure and unable to believe in himself 100%...which is why he has to trash talk the Texans...to show everyone that he IS good enough and he IS worth the money.

Even if Dreessen goes to the Titans, good luck to him (as long as it's not against us). At this point, I think Bud wants Dreessen strictly to learn more about our offense and our tendencies. That's how they roll...always have and always will.

Playoffs
03-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Free agent TE Joel Dreessen in Denver today meeting with the Broncos. He's already met with the Saints, Bengals, and Titans.

Dude is touring the dang country. I guess chances of him signing with us are slim?

Dutchrudder
03-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Free agent TE Joel Dreessen in Denver today meeting with the Broncos. He's already met with the Saints, Bengals, and Titans.

Dude is touring the dang country. I guess chances of him signing with us are slim?

Wow, him on the Broncos would make him worthy of being drafted in Fantasy Football. His ceiling would be high with Manning throwing to him. Especially considering that the current Broncos TEs suck.

G27RR
03-22-2012, 02:44 PM
‏ Dude is touring the dang country. I guess chances of him signing with us are slim?

If he's visited that many teams without signing, maybe he's not getting a better offer than he did/would here. If he doesn't sign with Denver, I think it's a sign he might be back

G27RR
03-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Wow, him on the Broncos would make him worthy of being drafted in Fantasy Football. His ceiling would be high with Manning throwing to him. Especially considering that the current Broncos TEs suck.

If he gets a decent offer, I'd be surprised if he doesn't sign with them.

HOU-TEX
03-22-2012, 03:35 PM
I believe he's from Colorado too....so there's that too

Playoffs
03-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Free agent TE Joel Dreessen will choose between the Texans and Broncos by Friday morning.

Free agent TE Joel Dreessen says "there is so much to consider" as he decides between the Texans And Broncos. His decision by Friday.