PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Browns Rumors: Talks for Houston Texans RB Ben Tate Surface

Pages : [1] 2

michaelm
03-13-2012, 10:06 PM
It's been just over six hours since the start of the new NFL year and free agency, and the Cleveland Browns seem to be a non-destination for all the top names available.

However, reports surfaced that the Browns are engaged in talks with the Houston Texans about running back Ben Tate.

I'm not buying this rumor, but thought it was worth posting

http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2012/03/cleveland-browns-rumors-talks-for.html

Goldensilence
03-13-2012, 10:09 PM
I think in Today's NFL you got to have two good running backs. Barring scoring something high as a second rounder, I don't think the Texans bite.

michaelm
03-13-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm not buying this rumor, but thought it was worth posting

http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2012/03/cleveland-browns-rumors-talks-for.html

Seems like the link I posted above was a reference to a very small tid bit in this story:

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=675

TheMatrix31
03-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Kiss my ass, Brownies.

Cjeremy635
03-13-2012, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't even consider it. We have the best 1-2 punch in the game, why mess that up? Injuries happen on a dime & we're lucky enough to have a back up that can step right in if needed. Thanks, but no thanks....

michaelm
03-13-2012, 10:13 PM
For clarity, the original blog used the words "I have heard some rumblings recently that the Browns may explore a trade with Houston for backup running back Ben Tate.

The next "writer" decided to embellish on that, twisting the phrase "may explore" into this:
"However, reports surfaced that the Browns are engaged in talks with the Houston Texans about running back Ben Tate."

Ryan
03-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Interesting for sure. If the offer is right i'd be up for it. With the situation it looks like we're in we could use some draft picks.

Unless your name is Foster, you're replaceable in this system although i really do like Tate.

Texn4life
03-13-2012, 10:17 PM
With Tate's contract coming up in 2 years and Arian guaranteed a good amount for the first 3 years of his contract I would entertain offers and see what they're willing to give. If its for the #22 pick then I jump all over that. The ideal time to trade him would be after next year when he only has 1 year left, but his value may never be higher. The likelihood that we'll be able to keep him after his rookie contract expires isn't very high. We have to get what we can while we can.

The problem is finding a replacement for him. If we lose some of our Lineman then obviously we'll have to fill some of those spots through the draft. But there are some backs in the draft that I love namely Isaiah Pead from Cinci. We can't just keep losing good players for nothing though.

PapaL
03-13-2012, 10:19 PM
He was our 2nd. Why would we trade him for a 2nd?!?

No like at all. Tate is my favorite.

Lucky
03-13-2012, 10:19 PM
The Texans are looking thin on the O-line. If the Browns offered their 2nd 1st round pick, I think the Texans would have to consider the deal.

michaelm
03-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Couldn't resist. I left this comment for the writer:

Nice way to twist a story Mr. Wolf. You use the phrase "are engaged with the Houston Texans", when the story you linked to merely says "I have heard some rumblings recently that the Browns may explore a trade with Houston". "May Explore" is entirely different than "are engaged", but you know this for sure. That makes you a complete hack, and totally unreliable, in my book.
And "details of the trade were not available at the time of publishing this article"? Of course details are not available. How the F can details be available for a trade that does not exist, as evidenced by the link YOU provided.

LOL Hack.

Ryan
03-13-2012, 10:23 PM
The Texans are looking thin on the O-line. If the Browns offered their 2nd 1st round pick, I think the Texans would have to consider the deal.

I think that'd be a no brainer, too bad i think they're even too smart to make that offer.

Pantherstang84
03-13-2012, 10:23 PM

Absolutely. They have to take the phone call and listen to the offer.

03-13-2012, 10:24 PM
NO!!! this offseason has started off as a complete nightmare...

steelbtexan
03-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Yes, for a 2nd rd pick.

Re-sign Ward

5-6th rd RB draft pick, my favorite Micheal Smith RB Utah St.

hot pickle
03-13-2012, 10:38 PM
not unless its a 1st rounder.

hes to good for just a 2nd round pick

beerlover
03-13-2012, 10:46 PM
not unless its a 1st rounder.

hes to good for just a 2nd round pick

Cleveland 2nd is almost like a first. Good enough :worldpeace:

michaelm
03-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Cleveland 2nd is almost like a first. Good enough :worldpeace:

No way would I trade Tate for a 2nd rounder. We know what we have with Tate.
Why would you trade a 2nd round pick (Tate) that you know you hit on, for an equivalent pick that is an unknown? It's like taking all the risk for the Browns.

michaelm
03-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Duplicate post

triplethreat
03-13-2012, 10:55 PM
LOL, you guys are dreaming if you think you can get a first off of us. Even #22 for Tate.

Think in the vicinity of a second, or two thirds.

CretorFrigg
03-13-2012, 10:56 PM
LOL, you guys are dreaming if you think you can get a first off of us. Even #22 for Tate.

Think in the vicinity of...he's not going to be traded. :worldpeace:

Mr teX
03-13-2012, 10:58 PM

its okay, have fun watching montario hardesty fail...

Norg
Why not we gave Foster a big deal might has well run dem tires to the bone no need for another high profile RB in this league for this day of age

for a 2nd sure we could get a player off need like 2 WR's in the 2nd !!!!!!!!!

triplethreat
Think in the vicinity of...he's not going to be traded. :worldpeace:

Very probable. Most likely scenario out there. :texflag:

triplethreat
03-13-2012, 10:59 PM
its okay, have fun watching montario hardesty fail...

I'm not trying to start a flame war here. I love you Houston guys, I'm just saying you're dreaming if that's what you thought.

Hardesty will not be the primary back next year. We'll either address it through the draft or Hillis will be back.

michaelm
03-13-2012, 11:00 PM

Most teams would love to get a young, proven 1000 yard back at #22 overall. The Brownies, on the other hand will trade top to that position and blow it on Brady Quinn. LOL.

Dude, we might not get #22 from you, most likely because we don't want to trade Tate, but ANY team would be happy if they drafted a rookie at #22, and he had a season like Tate's let season.

michaelm
03-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Why not we gave Foster a big deal might has well run dem tires to the bone no need for another high profile RB in this league for this day of age

for a 2nd sure we could get a player off need like 2 WR's in the 2nd !!!!!!!!!

You're killin me tonight, Norg.

you in rare form thas for sho

Texecutioner
03-13-2012, 11:02 PM
I wouldn't even consider it. We have the best 1-2 punch in the game, why mess that up? Injuries happen on a dime & we're lucky enough to have a back up that can step right in if needed. Thanks, but no thanks....

I'd totally consider it. Not because I don't think that Ben Tate is a total stud and a 1st string back, but because he'll probably be gone when his contract is up any way. He is to good for the Texans to be able to pay him and Foster when that time comes most likely. So, I'd at least hear what the Browns had to offer if this article has any merit to it. Tate will most likely be gone when his rookie deal is up to become a starter somewhere. Deal him while you can if the offer is right. It probably isn't though. I agree that in this day and age in the league you need two capable backs and this is an awsome 1-2 punch. But if he has only one more season, than I'd see how just how strong another team's interest might be if they are actually acquiring.

Mr teX
03-13-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm not trying to start a flame war here. I love you Houston guys, I'm just saying you're dreaming if that's what you thought.

Hardesty will not be the primary back next year. We'll either address it through the draft or Hillis will be back.

so what do you guys think you're going to do with your 2nd #1 pick then?

Texn4life
03-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Most teams would love to get a young, proven 1000 yard back at #22 overall. The Brownies, on the other hand will trade top to that position and blow it on Brady Quinn. LOL.

Dude, we might not get #22 from you, most likely because we don't want to trade Tate, but ANY team would be happy if they drafted a rookie at #22, and he had a season like Tate's let season.

I second that...... And he doesn't have a lot of wear on him since basically last year was like his rookie year. He should only get better. The Texans would be crazy to do it for anything less than a 1st round pick.

michaelm
03-13-2012, 11:04 PM
We'll either address it through the draft or Hillis will be back.

If a running back as good as Tate was on the boards at #22, you'd take him.
100% of the time. THAT is why Tate is worth your #22.

Norg
03-13-2012, 11:04 PM
You're killin me tonight, Norg.

you in rare form thas for sho

seriously we dont need two good RB's n this passing NFL today

ill take a 2nd for sure if it was me

TheMatrix31
03-13-2012, 11:05 PM
I'd only trade him for future contract reasons. **** it though, him and Arian HAVE to abuse the league next year for our team to have any chance at anything.

triplethreat
03-13-2012, 11:07 PM
so what do you guys think you're going to do with your 2nd #1 pick then?

Hopefully draft a WR.

We should trade down with our first pick and try and get more. Maybe the Rams and try to wait for Trent Richardson at 6, since the Rams love Blackmon so much. I doubt they'll trade back up though, so we'll see where we land.

We need WR help bad, a scenario I've been hearing is you move up to 22, we get 26 and you get a 3rd in return for Tate.

rickyb
03-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Dear Cleveland FO,
Sure, we can talk Tate. We need your 1st round pick in return. No? Sorry then, you cannot afford Tate. It goes like this. Tate was our 2. He is now a proven high performer at the NFL level. We took that risk; you took none. And we desire compensation: a little something called risk and reward. If you want Tate, he will cost you a 1 in this year's draft so that we can replace him with a top drawer RB.

Let us know.

Sincerely yours,
rickyb
pretending to speak on behalf of the Texans FO and having fun doing it

jaayteetx
03-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Hopefully draft a WR.

We should trade down with our first pick and try and get more. Maybe the Rams and try to wait for Trent Richardson at 6, since the Rams love Blackmon so much. I doubt they'll trade back up though, so we'll see where we land.

We need WR help bad, a scenario I've been hearing is you move up to 22, we get 26 and you get a 3rd in return for Tate.
That scenario sucks.

rickyb
03-13-2012, 11:10 PM
[/B]
That scenario sucks.

Agreed. Good for you. Shine-ola for us. No thank you.

triplethreat
03-13-2012, 11:11 PM
[/B]
That scenario sucks.

Eh. Whatever.

I doubt we land Tate anyways. I'd like him, but I doubt it. Trent Richardson is a once a decade RB and I think we're going to take him.

Texn4life
[/B]
That scenario sucks.

Lol, its Terrible!!!! There's no way the Texans would move up 4 spots in the 1st and accept a 3rd round pick for Tate. Not gonna happen!

Norg
why would CLE give up a first to get a RB when they already have Peyton hillis just the be there #2 trading a #1 pick for a #2 RB just does not add up to me LOL

Stop texans Fans LOL

Texn4life
03-13-2012, 11:14 PM
why would CLE give up a first to get a RB when they already have Peyton hillis just the be there #2 trading a #1 pick for a #2 RB just does not add up to me LOL

Stop texans Fans LOL

Did you see Hillis this year? He didn't play anything close to resembling a #1 back. That is when he was even able to step on the field or wasn't crying. I don't see why Cleveland would even want him back after the way he acted last year. He could learn a lot from Arian about how to conduct his business.

triplethreat
03-13-2012, 11:15 PM

Stop texans Fans LOL

Hillis is likely leaving through free agency?...

rickyb
03-13-2012, 11:20 PM

Stop texans Fans LOL

Hey this wasn't my fantasy. Cleveland just called and asked. So I told them what it would take to move Tate. We love Tater here in H-town. Foster and Tate are a great backfield.

Last I heard, Hillis wasn't even sure he wanted to play him some football anymore. Maybe he just doesn't want to play him some football in CLE. Provided Hillis passes a physical and an interview, I would consider taking Hillis and a 2 and 3 in return for Tate. But like I say, we love us some Tate and are not really interested in moving him. Just answering the phone and the question asked. Give us a 1 and make this easy on me. You don't want me to think about this one too hard. Did I mention we love Tate? On second thought, no thanks. We will just sit pat.

How's the hunt for Peyton working out up there in CLE? Now that RGIII will be off the board, you guys gonna trade down or what?

triplethreat
03-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Hey this wasn't my fantasy. Cleveland just called and asked. So I told them what it would take to move Tate. We love Tater here in H-town. Foster and Tate are a great backfield.

Last I heard, Hillis wasn't even sure he wanted to play him some football anymore. Maybe he just doesn't want to play him some football in CLE. Provided Hillis passes a physical and an interview, I would consider taking Hillis and a 2 and 3 in return for Tate. But like I say, we love us some Tate and are not really interested in moving him. Just answering the phone and the question asked. Give us a 1 and make this easy on me. You don't want me to think about this one too hard. Did I mention we love Tate? On second thought, no thanks. We will just sit pat.

How's the hunt for Peyton working out up there in CLE? Now that RGIII will be off the board, you guys gonna trade down or what?

Pretty sure we'll trade down. Either Coples, or Richardson likely. Just keep stockpiling picks so that we can get better.

I have faith in this regime and I know the Texans have had the same kind of luck as us Cleveland fans (only not nearly as bad). But I feel a connection with the fans in Houston because we've had the same football disasters.

rickyb
03-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Pretty sure we'll trade down. Either Coples, or Richardson likely. Just keep stockpiling picks so that we can get better.

I have faith in this regime and I know the Texans have had the same kind of luck as us Cleveland fans (only not nearly as bad). But I feel a connection with the fans in Houston because we've had the same football disasters.

That's what I would do. Trade back for picks. Blackmon is not the solution. Heck no one player is the solution. WAS will learn that lesson, and unfortunately for that franchise they mortgaged the farm.

mussop
03-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Eh. Whatever.

I doubt we land Tate anyways. I'd like him, but I doubt it. Trent Richardson is a once a decade RB and I think we're going to take him.

Not really. I mean he is good but once a decade? :mcnugget:

triplethreat
03-13-2012, 11:33 PM
That's what I would do. Trade back for picks. Blackmon is not the solution. Heck no one player is the solution. WAS will learn that lesson, and unfortunately for that franchise they mortgaged the farm.

Three firsts for RGIII? You have to be insane to make a deal like that. I'm glad the Browns weren't willing to comply.

Trade down, get another second and draft Coples. Sure up this defense and get some WR's to TRY and help Colt McCoy for one more season. We should be bad enough next year to get a Matt Barkley/Tyler Bray/Tyler Wilson/Landry Jones/Aaron Murray anyways. QB class is DEEP.

triplethreat
03-13-2012, 11:34 PM

You don't think so? He's got AP written all over him. You don't see those kind of backs often.

mussop
03-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Three firsts for RGIII? You have to be insane to make a deal like that.

We will see. You want to talk a once in a decade player RG111 is that guy.

Texn4life
03-13-2012, 11:38 PM

I actually liked Richardson before he put on all of that weight. He lost some explosiveness in my opinion. But he reminds me of a bigger, stronger Maurice Jones-Drew. He's just tough to bring down. I think the Browns should draft this kid. My only concern would be him staying healthy, but you could say that about every running back really.

TheMatrix31
lol @ Trent Richardson or RG3 being a "once in a decade player".

I don't even know anything about college football and I know that much. C'mon now with this ****.

EDIT: That said, RGIII is much closer to that distinction. But in a draft with Andrew Luck, who's touted as the best QB prospect since like, Elway? No.

triplethreat
We will see. You want to talk a once in a decade player RG111 is that guy.

RGIII was in a system at Baylor catering to his every ability. Let's see what this guy can do in the NFL under center with good defenses coming at him.

He's also extremely small framed and prone to injury. Ala Michael Vick.

Texn4life
03-13-2012, 11:40 PM
RGIII was in a system at Baylor catering to his every ability. Let's see what this guy can do in the NFL under center with good defenses coming at him.

He's going to another system that'll cater to his every ability. If the Redskins surround him with talent the sky is the limit with that coaching staff bringing him along.

triplethreat
03-13-2012, 11:41 PM
He's going to another system that'll cater to his every ability. If the Redskins surround him with talent the sky is the limit with that coaching staff bringing him along.

Where are they going to get this talent though? They don't have a first round pick until 2015..

infantrycak
03-13-2012, 11:41 PM
You don't think so? He's got AP written all over him. You don't see those kind of backs often.

Remind me who has more yards from scrimmage and TDs over the last two seasons? AP or UDFA?

Yeah once a decade is probably over the top since they are within the same decade.

triplethreat
03-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Remind me who has more yards from scrimmage and TDs over the last two seasons? AP or UDFA?

Yeah once a decade is probably over the top since they are within the same decade.

Maybe a little over the top, but Trent Richardson type RB's don't come around too often.

TheMatrix31
03-13-2012, 11:44 PM
EDIT: Meh, whatever.

triplethreat
03-13-2012, 11:46 PM
EDIT: Meh, whatever.

I apologize for my use of words, I didn't think it would offend you..

EllisUnit
Maybe a little over the top, but Trent Richardson type RB's don't come around too often.

who ?

infantrycak

Fair enough. But there is a huge difference between college ball and the NFL. Tate has proven he can be successful in the NFL. And for the record, I do not want to see him traded.

triplethreat
03-13-2012, 11:47 PM
who ?

:thinking:

I forget who we were talking about now.

Texn4life
03-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Where are they going to get this talent though? They don't have a first round pick until 2015..

They signed a couple of receivers today. Garcon and Morgan will complement Santana Moss well in that offense. They have a couple of good tight ends. The biggest weakness on their team right now is offensive line. That's where they'll have to improve. But with Hightower coming back from injury and the rookie from Penn State last year running well I think they'll be improved.

triplethreat
03-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Fair enough. But there is a huge difference between college ball and the NFL. Tate has proven he can be successful in the NFL. And for the record, I do not want to see him traded.

That's completely fine, if I were in your shoes I wouldn't want to see him traded either. I'm just going by the reports, which I don't think are very on anyways. lol

triplethreat
03-13-2012, 11:50 PM
They signed a couple of receivers today. Garcon and Morgan will complement Santana Moss well in that offense. They have a couple of good tight ends. The biggest weakness on their team right now is offensive line. That's where they'll have to improve. But with Hightower coming back from injury and the rookie from Penn State last year running well I think they'll be improved.

This is what I hate about the NFL today.

Everyone just wants their first round QB's to start right away, throw them into the fire. I've NEVER been a fan of this. Let the guy sit for AT LEAST one year before you throw him out there.

That's just me though.

mussop
03-13-2012, 11:50 PM
lol @ Trent Richardson or RG3 being a "once in a decade player".

I don't even know anything about college football and I know that much. C'mon now with this ****.

EDIT: That said, RGIII is much closer to that distinction. But in a draft with Andrew Luck, who's touted as the best QB prospect since like, Elway? No.

Luck is over rated and RG111 is under rated. Wanna bet who will have the better career?

I think you are getting Luck and Griffen mixed up. And what makes you say he is prone to injury?

triplethreat
03-13-2012, 11:51 PM
Luck is over rated and RG111 is under rated. Wanna bet who will have the better career?

I think you are getting Luck and Griffen mixed up. And what makes you say he is prone to injury?

Dude's skinny as a rail.

Does your site take donations? Because I'm willing to put some money on Luck. :breakdance:

TheMatrix31
03-13-2012, 11:51 PM

Couldn't care less. We're not getting either of them so it doesn't matter to me. I'll take my chances with our D against either.

mussop
03-13-2012, 11:52 PM

And after they sign Winston at RT they will be really improved. :kitten:

Texn4life
03-13-2012, 11:53 PM
This is what I hate about the NFL today.

Everyone just wants their first round QB's to start right away, throw them into the fire. I've NEVER been a fan of this. Let the guy sit for AT LEAST one year before you throw him out there.

That's just me though.

Its a recipe that's been working pretty well lately though. Of the QB's that have won Super Bowls recently only Aaron Rodgers didn't start a game within his first couple of years.

infantrycak
03-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Remind me who has more yards from scrimmage and TDs over the last two seasons? AP or UDFA? .

I didn't realize this but I will post it now since I looked at it - last two years:

Adrian Peterson - yards from scrimmage 2748 yds, 26 TDs.

Arian Foster - yards from scrimmage 4061 yds, 30 TDs.

I guess I am pointing this out as damn the Texans and Foster did a great job getting their deal worked out.

triplethreat
03-13-2012, 11:55 PM
I didn't realize this but I will post it now since I looked at it - last two years:

Adrian Peterson - yards from scrimmage 2748 yds, 26 TDs.

Arian Foster - yards from scrimmage 4061 yds, 30 TDs.

I guess I am pointing this out as damn the Texans and Foster did a great job getting their deal worked out.

If AP was playing with the Texans that number would be about 6,000...... rushing. lol

mussop
Dude's skinny as a rail.

Does your site take donations? Because I'm willing to put some money on Luck. :breakdance:

Yes it does. If you are still around at the end of next year how about a small donation by the loser.

Loser will be decided by which player has the better rookie season.

Texn4life
And after they sign Winston at RT they will be really improved. :kitten:

At least Griffin has the wheels to avoid pass rushers after Winston whiffs on blocks. He's good for about 1 of those a game. He'd make a nice bookend on the other side of Trent Williams though and make that running game pretty good.

TheMatrix31
03-13-2012, 11:56 PM
If AP was playing with the Texans that number would be about 6,000...... rushing. lol

Uh, no.

mussop
03-13-2012, 11:57 PM
At least Griffin has the wheels to avoid pass rushers after Winston whiffs on blocks. He's good for about 1 of those a game. He'd make a nice bookend on the other side of Trent Williams though and make that running game pretty good.

So true!

triplethreat
03-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Yes it does. If you are still around at the end of next year how about a small donation by the loser.

Loser will be decided by which player has the better rookie season.

I've been here since 07....

steelbtexan
Hillis is likely leaving through free agency?...

Trade spots in the 1st 22/26

Give us your 3rd and (pick 100) 4th this yr. Or 3rd this yr and 3rd next yr. You still would probably getting the better end of the deal. Tate is a stud.

triplethreat
Uh, no.

That would be a joke... wise guy. hahaha

dalemurphy
03-14-2012, 12:00 AM
NO FREAKIN' WAY! We have an elite talent that is going to cost the Texans pennies for the next two years. The Texans can restrict him next year and either have a great backup or a first round pick from a team. This is not happening!

Trap_Star
03-14-2012, 12:02 AM
i'll take joe haden for tate straight up.http://www.starless.dk/forum/images/smilies/troll.gif

triplethreat
03-14-2012, 12:03 AM
i'll take joe haden for tate straight up.http://www.starless.dk/forum/images/smilies/troll.gif

I'm so disappointed you guys have no chuckle emoticon. :(

Dash
03-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Browns board says its apparently for a 3rd round pick. Easy no from the Texans.

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21999

Dash
03-14-2012, 12:48 AM
-I have heard some rumblings recently that the Browns may explore a trade with Houston for backup running back Ben Tate. When asked about that possibility, a league source said, "I haven't heard anything along those lines but let's put it this way it wouldn't surprise me."

triplethreat
03-14-2012, 12:52 AM

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21999

Please don't use those boards. hahaha

http://www.dawgtalkers.net

http://www.realcavsfans.com

Those are the most reliable Browns sites and have some of the best posters I know.

Dash
03-14-2012, 12:55 AM
Please don't use those boards. hahaha

http://www.dawgtalkers.net

http://www.realcavsfans.com

Those are the most reliable Browns sites and have some of the best posters I know.

Ah sorry I didn't see it posted over RCF so I looked around to any other Browns board to see if they had anything we missed. Sounds like the 3rd rounder was speculation.

Either way, I doubt a deal materializes.

hot pickle
03-14-2012, 01:35 AM
with arian fosters history of nagging injuries. tate stays

Rey
03-14-2012, 01:51 AM
I'd trade him for the right price. It'd have to be for that first rounder though. Even if we had to sweeten the deal with a later pick I would still do it.

Tate is an awesome back up, but this is the Arian show and Tate probably knows he'll likely never see a big contract with Houston. Get something for him while you still can and pick one of the talented young runners in the 3rd, 4th or 5th. Bring ward back for cheap and I'd be ok with that especially if we can use the pick to improve the team.

All that said, I'm perfectly fine with Tate coming back. Dude is a beast.

Vinny
03-14-2012, 02:00 AM

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21999In other news, Skids also offer 4th round pick for Cam Newton.

Norg
03-14-2012, 02:13 AM
u know i dont know much about the Running game when it comes to the Oline i know it takes everybody but i think the Guards play the most important role when doing a running play

TexansRule1
03-14-2012, 02:21 AM
I would do it for either
1) Brown #22 pick
2) Browns second round pick (#37 overall) + conditional pick in 2013 (2nd, 3rd, or 4th) based on performance as a Brown.

Since Tate was selected #58 overall and has proven success in NFL, these two deals seem approximately fair.

texdawg
03-14-2012, 06:51 AM
I like Tate but would rather the Browns sign a free agent like Michael Bush. This trade rumor just does not seem like something the Browns would do.

I know the chances of Bush are slim now that he is in Arizona for a visit, but if the Browns did manage to sign him away from the Cards and add another back such as LaMichael James at the top of the 3rd round, I'd feel like we were pretty set with only expending a 3rd.

Bring back Vickers and maybe the Browns could actually run the ball again and relieve some pressure from Colt.

El Tejano
03-14-2012, 07:13 AM
I like Tate but would rather the Browns sign a free agent like Michael Bush. This trade rumor just does not seem like something the Browns would do.

I know the chances of Bush are slim now that he is in Arizona for a visit, but if the Browns did manage to sign him away from the Cards and add another back such as LaMichael James at the top of the 3rd round, I'd feel like we were pretty set with only expending a 3rd.

Bring back Vickers and maybe the Browns could actually run the ball again and relieve some pressure from Colt.

I agree with what you say. With the crazy cuts we got so far, I'm wondering if this isn't real though. I wonder if Texans have their eyes on a FA runningback too and wouldn't mind dealing Tate.

TimeKiller
03-14-2012, 07:30 AM
We spent a 2nd on him and he's done very well for himself. The cost is absolutely NOT less than a 2nd, any offering below that should be flat out ignored.

2-2nds + conditional 3-5 pick next year.
a 2nd and switch 1sts + conditional pick
straight up for #22

They want a good player, they better be ready to give up good assets. Tate is a proven yards eater at this level. He's fast with above average burst and seeks contact when running. Was a consistent performer in the SEC before that. Dude IS a stud. Put up or shut up!!!!!

majestrate
03-14-2012, 07:56 AM
with arian fosters history of nagging injuries. tate stays
Let's also not forget that Arian just got paid, so he's going to be fat and happy. We're going to need Ben's hunger to fill-in for Arian while he works to get out of his dollaz-coma this year

Then, next year, when Arian's back to his playing weight, we'll be able to trade Ben away (though I'd rather keep him, just don't think it'll happen, unless he'll be okay with being a #2 for another 4 or 5 years)

Playoffs
03-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Quote:
-I have heard some rumblings recently that the Browns may explore a trade with Houston for backup running back Ben Tate. When asked about that possibility, a Texans source said, "Ha, haha, hahaha ... whew, good one, ha, ha, ha!"

Fixed it for ya. :ahhaha:

ckhouston
03-14-2012, 08:51 AM
It already seems as if McNair and Smith are doing bong hits with the cuts, no Texans free agents signed, and McNair stating that "we have a QB we are happy with", but if they let Tate go for anything other than Cleveland's first pick in the draft they are fools. Even for the number four overall ... I might hesitate.

GP
03-14-2012, 08:57 AM
I needed a good laugh this morning.

This has a shot of happening somewhere between no and hell no.

badboy
03-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Seems like the link I posted above was a reference to a very small tid bit in this story:

Seems like the rumblings were proved to be only that as "league source" said he heard nothing.

-I have heard some rumblings recently that the Browns may explore a trade with Houston for backup running back Ben Tate. When asked about that possibility, a league source said, "I haven't heard anything along those lines but let's put it this way it wouldn't surprise me."

From your link

Texan_Bill
03-14-2012, 09:15 AM
If I were the Browns, I'd be more worried about my QB situation.

BTW:
I'm so disappointed you guys have no chuckle emoticon. :(

:lol: lol: :spit:

DerekLee1
03-14-2012, 03:28 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5742/ben-tate

If the Browns are wanting to give up a "second day" pick, they can go take a flying leap. WE drafted him in the 2nd and shouldn't take anything less than a first after developing him into a bona fide stud.

Hardcore Texan
03-14-2012, 03:30 PM
He needs to stay, he's under contract, I can't see why the Texans would trade him away. So the browns can want in one hand, sh*! in the other and see which one fills up the fastest.

Blake
03-14-2012, 03:31 PM
I think it would take a swap of 22-26, their 2nd this year and a 3rd next year to get Tate from me.

Edit: Either that, or #4 for Tate + 26. Not gonna happen.

ObsiWan
03-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Kiss my ass, Brownies.

Thorn...?
...is that you?
:kitten:

Thorn
03-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Thorn...?
...is that you?

I must have taken the red pill instead of the blue one.......

Brisco_County
03-14-2012, 07:12 PM
I think this trade goes through. Hillis signed with KC today. (http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/24685/Chiefs-agree-to-terns-with-Peyton-Hillis/Default.aspx)

Also, Tate was drafted to be the #1 at a time when nobody knew that Foster would emerge as a freaking H.O.F. potential runningback. We now have two #1 worthy backs, a #3 who's good enough to be a #2, and some newly created needs to be filled in the draft. This trade is happening.

drs23
03-14-2012, 07:38 PM

Little late here and OT as well but what's the fan base's consensus on Colt. Do you guys think he's the man to get the job done or are you guys looking to upgrade like all the talking heads keep harping on?

PM me if you wish as to not derail the tread.

Mr teX
03-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Hillis is gone...this talk about Tate might heat up now. I'd explore it if i were the FO simply b/c we can get back Ward & we may need the extra picks to shore up some other things depending on this situation goes with Mario, Meyers & Brisiel.

GP
03-14-2012, 08:15 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5742/ben-tate

If the Browns are wanting to give up a "second day" pick, they can go take a flying leap. WE drafted him in the 2nd and shouldn't take anything less than a first after developing him into a bona fide stud.

And the congregation all said.....

AMEN!

Who the hell thinks they can get our Round 2 guy for a Round 2 pick?

What muff huggin' Johnny Jumpin' razz matazz muther (censored) has the nerve to say "Uh, hello there! We are affiliated with the, uh, football organization up there in Ohio, and uh we were kindly offering you a uh 2nd round pick for Mr. Tate. What ya' say?"

I say, "You're on crack."

I don't even think we should take their second 1st round pick. The truth of this deal: We drafted him, if you think he's your RB1, make me an offer that represents that line of thought. Or you can use your own draft picks and try your luck at that.

It's time teams quit treating us like we're into the business of handing them golden geese. Go away or give us proper compensation.

mussop
03-14-2012, 08:22 PM
It already seems as if McNair and Smith are doing bong hits with the cuts, no Texans free agents signed, and McNair stating that "we have a QB we are happy with", but if they let Tate go for anything other than Cleveland's first pick in the draft they are fools. Even for the number four overall ... I might hesitate.

You sir are insane!!!

Pantherstang84
03-14-2012, 08:43 PM
And the congregation all said.....

AMEN!

Who the hell thinks they can get our Round 2 guy for a Round 2 pick?

What muff huggin' Johnny Jumpin' razz matazz muther (censored) has the nerve to say "Uh, hello there! We are affiliated with the, uh, football organization up there in Ohio, and uh we were kindly offering you a uh 2nd round pick for Mr. Tate. What ya' say?"

I say, "You're on crack."

I don't even think we should take their second 1st round pick. The truth of this deal: We drafted him, if you think he's your RB1, make me an offer that represents that line of thought. Or you can use your own draft picks and try your luck at that.

It's time teams quit treating us like we're into the business of handing them golden geese. Go away or give us proper compensation.

Some folks just can't kick the pipe.

Second Honeymoon
03-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Tate for #22 is a great deal for Texans. We won't be able to keep him and Foster anyway if he keeps showing the tools he has.

I'm good either way though. It's pretty much win-win.

rmartin65
03-14-2012, 08:53 PM
I think I would need the 22. Tate is a good back, but Foster is the guy. And I feel pretty confident that there is a back out there in the draft in rounds 4-7 that could turn into a solid number 2.

Texan_Bill
03-14-2012, 08:53 PM

The red one gets you fired up...

................. The Blue one keeps you, well..... Fired up for a long time!!!

:D

thunderkyss
03-14-2012, 09:03 PM

At your age, shouldn't you take both pills?

And then some?

SAMURAITEXAN
03-14-2012, 09:05 PM
If Browns really want Tate, they better cough up an offer that our FO can't refuse. Tate is a stater material RB and already proved that last season and he is young. The Browns can draft RB in the first rd but there's always a chance to be bust. In Tate, they know what they can expect from him(1,000+ yrds Starting material RB). If they think we trade Tate with their 2nd rd? Crazy.

Like I say, they better cough up if they want Tate.

Go Texans!!!

thunderkyss
03-14-2012, 09:07 PM
I love Tate, but no one is going to give us a 1st round pick for him.

Maybe a 2nd, 3rd, & next year's 2nd.

Maybe we can do Tate & KDub for that first & a 4th

Texan_Bill
03-14-2012, 09:08 PM
At your age, shouldn't you take both pills?

And then some?

:foottap:

That ain't right!! I'm only a few years behind........ Check that, SEVERAL years behind!!

kingh99
03-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Hillis is gone...this talk about Tate might heat up now. I'd explore it if i were the FO simply b/c we can get back Ward & we may need the extra picks to shore up some other things depending on this situation goes with Mario, Meyers & Brisiel.

It would be great
if Texans parlayed Tate
Into a first round pick

Retarded, crippled, handicapped, disabled, differently abled Haiku

thunderkyss
03-14-2012, 09:10 PM
:foottap:

That ain't right!! I'm only a few years behind........ Check that, SEVERAL years behind!!

Start pop'n them pills pawpaw

:whip:

Wolf
03-14-2012, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't want Tate gone, if rumor true ..bad move

SteveSlaton20
03-14-2012, 09:57 PM
If I were the Browns, I'd be more worried about my QB situation.

BTW:

:lol: lol: :spit:

NFL Passes Dropped
Rank Team Passes Dropped
1 Cleveland Browns 43
2 Detroit Lions 37
3 Atlanta Falcons 36
4 St. Louis Rams 34
5 Philadelphia Eagles 33
6 Green Bay Packers 32
7 Baltimore Ravens 31
8 New York Giants 30

If I were the Browns, I'd focus on the WRs/TEs/RBs, and maybe the oline.

Not to mention next year class is deep and I wouldn't be surprised if Barkley become as good or better than Andrew Luck. They need to focus on other positions before they ruin another QB.

badboy
03-14-2012, 10:19 PM
I think I would need the 22. Tate is a good back, but Foster is the guy. And I feel pretty confident that there is a back out there in the draft in rounds 4-7 that could turn into a solid number 2.65 nails it again. #22 & 26 allows us to fill two needs or trade up for one super good guy.

From Walters:
Robert Turbin, RB, Utah State
Height: 5-10. Weight: 222.
40 Time: 4.44.
Bench: 28.
Vertical: 36. Broad: 10-2.
Hand: 9 3/4.
Projected Round (2012): 4-6.
3/12/12: Turbin is a sleeper prospect who has some speed and is extremely strong. He showed that off with good speed and strength at the Combine. In 2011, Turbin averaged 6.1 yards per carry with 1,517 yards rushing and 19 touchdowns. He caught 17 passes for 171 yards and four scores as well. In 2009, Turbin broke out with 1,296 yards and 13 touchdowns. He missed the 2010 season because of an injury. Turbin is put together well and is an elusive runner.

GP
03-14-2012, 10:24 PM
65 nails it again. #22 & 26 allows us to fill two needs or trade up for one super good guy.

From Walters:
Robert Turbin, RB, Utah State
Height: 5-10. Weight: 222.
40 Time: 4.44.
Bench: 28.
Vertical: 36. Broad: 10-2.
Hand: 9 3/4.
Projected Round (2012): 4-6.
3/12/12: Turbin is a sleeper prospect who has some speed and is extremely strong. He showed that off with good speed and strength at the Combine. In 2011, Turbin averaged 6.1 yards per carry with 1,517 yards rushing and 19 touchdowns. He caught 17 passes for 171 yards and four scores as well. In 2009, Turbin broke out with 1,296 yards and 13 touchdowns. He missed the 2010 season because of an injury. Turbin is put together well and is an elusive runner.

We'd find a way to take 22 and 26 and move DOWN for 2 2nd rounders and an extra 3rd. Some stooped **** like that, I'm sure.

I don't want Gary getting an extra 1st rounder and wonder how to use it. I mean, that's like having the ball at the opponent's 5-yard-line and we've got three downs to score a TD--Gary finds ways to eff it up. Oh the things he can do with three downs and only 5 yards to go!

And if we use both the 22 and 26 to move UP...we'd probably draft the next Travis Johnson or Amobi Okoye. That idea has bad mojo written all over it.

michaelm
03-14-2012, 10:43 PM
We'd find a way to take 22 and 26 and move DOWN for 2 2nd rounders and an extra 3rd. Some stooped **** like that, I'm sure.

I don't want Gary getting an extra 1st rounder and wonder how to use it. I mean, that's like having the ball at the opponent's 5-yard-line and we've got three downs to score a TD--Gary finds ways to eff it up. Oh the things he can do with three downs and only 5 yards to go!

And if we use both the 22 and 26 to move UP...we'd probably draft the next Travis Johnson or Amobi Okoye. That idea has bad mojo written all over it.

Damn, you've done a good job recently of fooling me that you had confidence in the FO unit this post. :)

badboy
03-14-2012, 10:44 PM

And if we use both the 22 and 26 to move UP...we'd probably draft the next Travis Johnson or Amobi Okoye. That idea has bad mojo written all over it.lol nah this draft too good in first 15 to not hit if a trade up and we should get quality @ #22 and either OLB Perry or my choice Vinny Curry @ #26.

#22 WR Kendall Wright
#26 OLB Vinny Curry
#58 NT Ta'Amu
#90 WR Marvin McNutt
4th C/OG Phillip Blake
5th RT Josh Ogelsby
6th LG Lonnie Edwards
7th FB Chad Diehl

GP
03-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Damn, you've done a good job recently of fooling me that you had confidence in the FO unit this post. :)

LOL. Gary scares the hell out of me. You give him TOO much rope, and he hangs himself. Give him just the right length and he finds a guy named Arian Foster. It's the craziest damn thing I've ever seen.

They'd find a way to eff up a situation of having two first rounders. Bill Belichick knows how to pull it off, I don't think Gary could. Not yet.

I don't want Derrick Ward being RB1 if/when Foster gets banged up and can't play a Sunday or two. Give me Tate and let the dude eat up yards with authority.

GP
03-14-2012, 10:52 PM
lol nah this draft too good in first 15 to not hit if a trade up and we should get quality @ #22 and either OLB Perry or my choice Vinny Curry @ #26.

#22 WR Kendall Wright
#26 OLB Vinny Curry
#58 NT Ta'Amu
#90 WR Marvin McNutt
4th C/OG Phillip Blake
5th RT Josh Ogelsby
6th LG Lonnie Edwards
7th FB Chad Diehl

I'd be sort of OK if he played it cool and drafted at 22 and 26. Then we'd feast in Round 2 like we always do, and have THREE stout prospects. Not to mention a guy or two in the remaining rounds that might be gems.

They'd have to give us 22, though. And I don't think they would. I think they believe they NEED that 22nd pick at all costs. That's where I think Gary might get stoopid on us...taking less than he should or taking a FUTURE 1st rounder when we need one n-o-w.

mussop
03-14-2012, 11:25 PM
I think it would take a swap of 22-26, their 2nd this year and a 3rd next year to get Tate from me.

Edit: Either that, or #4 for Tate + 26. Not gonna happen.

I would consider taking a swap of 22 for 26 and their 2nd round pick very seriously. There's a chance we could get Decastro with 22 or if not we could get Zeitler with their second.

All of this is based on us loosing Breisel or Myers.

Brisco_County
03-15-2012, 12:00 AM
Within two days, we went from having the luxury of selecting best player available to having several needs to fill. We need draft picks.

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 12:39 AM
The sad thing is that the Browns have a huge need at RT, and had we held on to Winston, we probably could have sent him and Tate to Cleveland for #22 and a late round pick. If Winston Justice is tradeable, even for a pick swap, Eric Winston certainly would be worth a 3rd or 4th.

TheMatrix31
03-15-2012, 03:25 AM
NFL Passes Dropped
Rank Team Passes Dropped
1 Cleveland Browns 43
2 Detroit Lions 37
3 Atlanta Falcons 36
4 St. Louis Rams 34
5 Philadelphia Eagles 33
6 Green Bay Packers 32
7 Baltimore Ravens 31
8 New York Giants 30

If I were the Browns, I'd focus on the WRs/TEs/RBs, and maybe the oline.

Not to mention next year class is deep and I wouldn't be surprised if Barkley become as good or better than Andrew Luck. They need to focus on other positions before they ruin another QB.

The reason they lead in passes dropped was because Colt McCoy was woefully underthrowing and missing WRs.

TimeKiller
03-15-2012, 07:08 AM
Well that would be rather foolish. Giving a backup up for anyone you wanted in the draft besides 2 Qb's?

Thorn
03-15-2012, 07:24 AM
I'm thinking thunderkyss and Bill can both kiss my ass. :lol:

The pill referance was the the move Matrix by the way. I'm surprised no one caught that. :smiliepalm:

SCOTTexans
03-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Im on the make the trade if it is only for their #22 pick... having the 2 first round picks can fill the center job with Konz, if meyers isn't resigned (which looks like he is not) and also pick up the first round reciever.

I believe we can get Ward back and I think he is capable of the back-up position it foster gets hurt, but a tough call

Also if we dont get some O-line to replace the lost our running game will shut down this yr and its looking like the draft is the only option.

Pantherstang84
03-15-2012, 08:02 AM
610 through this out this morning....

"Would you trade Tate plus the #26 pick for Cleveland's #4?"

Justin Blackmon anyone?

Thorn
03-15-2012, 08:07 AM

Justin Blackmon anyone?

Not unless we resign D. Ward I wouldn't. That would leave us NOTHING at RB if something happens to Foster. At some point in time Tate is going to leave anyway, but I would prefer it not until we get someone else in that proves to be a good backup to Foster.

HTown2ATX
03-15-2012, 08:08 AM

Justin Blackmon anyone?

In a heartbeat I would for the #4, but I think they were saying Cleveland has another 1st round pick in the 20's which is probably the one we would get.

Still I would take that pick in the 20's, package it with our 1st round pick and if needed you then have bargaining power to move up if needed to get someone.

I don't see CLE giving us the #4.

badboy
03-15-2012, 08:10 AM
The sad thing is that the Browns have a huge need at RT, and had we held on to Winston, we probably could have sent him and Tate to Cleveland for #22 and a late round pick. If Winston Justice is tradeable, even for a pick swap, Eric Winston certainly would be worth a 3rd or 4th.Not trading Eric is puzzling unless they want to re-sign him very cheaply. If traded, he is definitely on another team and cannot be re-signed. I have not heard of him even scheduling a visit. Seems like asking him to take a cut and re-structure would be way to go unless Smith thinks he could get much lower deal when Eric discovered he was cut.

If NFL thinks Winston is an above average RT seems as if he would have been snapped up by now.

SCOTTexans
03-15-2012, 08:13 AM

Justin Blackmon anyone?

I would not make this trade. If we get our o-line in order and a back-up to foster, perferably Ward back, then i might consider it... :thinking:

majestrate
03-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Not trading Eric is puzzling unless they want to re-sign him very cheaply. If traded, he is definitely on another team and cannot be re-signed. I have not heard of him even scheduling a visit. Seems like asking him to take a cut and re-structure would be way to go unless Smith thinks he could get much lower deal when Eric discovered he was cut.

If NFL thinks Winston is an above average RT seems as if he would have been snapped up by now.

Eric Winston is the main prize today, a right tackle who surprised everyone by failing a physical with the Houston Texans and was consequently released to create cap room. He had arthroscopic ankle surgery and should be fine in two weeks. For a guy who started every game at right tackle for the Texans from 2007-11.

Alex Marvez of Fox Sports writes, "At that time, Winston had no idea he wouldn’t be playing for the Texans in 2012. He had started every game for the past five seasons and was considered one of the league’s better right tackles. But with a $5.5 million base salary for 2012 and the Texans having salary-cap issues, Winston became expendable."

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2012/3/15/2873591/eric-winston-kevin-boss-chiefs-free-agency

He has a visit to the Chiefs today (and I thought Seattle was talking to him too, but I'd have to search more):

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2012/3/14/2872611/eric-winston-headed-to-kansas-city-to-visit-chiefs-on-thursday

Blake
03-15-2012, 08:16 AM

Justin Blackmon anyone?

I would do it in a heartbeat. WR is our biggest need and Blackmon is the best WR prospect this year. Hell, I wanted him last year too.

I am ok with filling 2 needs at the bottom of round 1 as well. I just dont like the idea of starting over at center this year.

Señor Stan
03-15-2012, 08:17 AM
I think I would need the 22. Tate is a good back, but Foster is the guy. And I feel pretty confident that there is a back out there in the draft in rounds 4-7 that could turn into a solid number 2.

This quote in a Cleveland Browns thread has my inner 8th grader giggling.

ObsiWan
03-15-2012, 08:48 AM

Not to worry. With two first round picks we give one to Wade and the other to Gary. One of 'em is bound to be good. One is our Mario replacement and the other our Myers/Brisiel replacement. I smell win-win.

And if it were me, I'd squeeze the Brownies for a 6th too ...just cause with Hillis gone I know they be desperate.
:evil:

ObsiWan
03-15-2012, 08:54 AM

The pill referance was the the move Matrix by the way. I'm surprised no one caught that. :smiliepalm:

I caught it. I'm pretty sure they did too.
But, with the high-quality, quick-trigger smart-a$$age among the members, you know it's not HARD for things to quickly go "south" around here.

Yeah... I did that on purpose too.

aussie_texan
03-15-2012, 08:59 AM
John McClain ‏ @McClain_on_NFL Close
Ben Tate has 2 years left on his contract. He did an outstanding job. Coaches love him. He should be even better next season. Going nowhere.

Forget anything you read or hear about the Texans considering trading RB Ben Tate to Browns. Not going to happen.

well thats closed then :kitten:

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 09:00 AM
This quote in a Cleveland Browns thread has my inner 8th grader giggling.

Speaking of which, I think it's getting close to visiting my "other office". *Grabs newspaper*

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Not trading Eric is puzzling unless they want to re-sign him very cheaply. If traded, he is definitely on another team and cannot be re-signed. I have not heard of him even scheduling a visit. Seems like asking him to take a cut and re-structure would be way to go unless Smith thinks he could get much lower deal when Eric discovered he was cut.

Winston already visited Miami and has visits scheduled with St Louis, KC, Baltimore and Detroit. He is a hot commodity and the best OT remaining in free agency. I really can't imagine he would have no trade value even at 4.5 million a year non-guaranteed. The Browns just released OG Eric Steinbach who took 6 million off their cap. They already had some room before that, and could have easily fit Winston into their lineup. Pair him and Ben Tate together and you should be able to snag their 2nd and 3rd round picks easily or #22 and a late 4th.

HOU-TEX
03-15-2012, 09:14 AM
speaking of which, i think it's getting close to visiting my "other office". *grabs hustler*

fify

rmartin65
03-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Ben Tate has 2 years left on his contract. He did an outstanding job. Coaches love him. He should be even better next season. Going nowhere.

Forget anything you read or hear about the Texans considering trading RB Ben Tate to Browns. Not going to happen.

Seeing as it is McClain, this pretty much assures us that the FO is open to trading Tate for the right price.

drunkcookie
03-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Can't wait to see FakeJohnMcClain's tweet on this:

"i wouldn't trade Beans N Taters to Cleveland for a 6er of O'Douls and a bucket of lemon squares! Wait, ya i would."

Next tweet:

"Beans and Taters will play with a team next year! You heard it here first!"

Malloy
03-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Winston already visited Miami and has visits scheduled with St Louis, KC, Baltimore and Detroit. He is a hot commodity and the best OT remaining in free agency. I really can't imagine he would have no trade value even at 4.5 million a year non-guaranteed. The Browns just released OG Eric Steinbach who took 6 million off their cap. They already had some room before that, and could have easily fit Winston into their lineup. Pair him and Ben Tate together and you should be able to snag their 2nd and 3rd round picks easily or #22 and a late 4th.

Curious, can you trade a player that failed his physical ?

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Curious, can you trade a player that failed his physical ?

You can if the team taking the player agrees to accept him. Broderick Bunkley was traded from the Eagles to the Browns last year, but the deal was rescinded when he failed a physical. The Eagles turned around and sent him to the Broncos a week or two later, and he played the entire season for them. Now the Broncos are trying to sign him to a longterm deal.

Malloy
03-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Right, thanks!! :)

Blake
03-15-2012, 10:11 AM
I really can't imagine he would have no trade value even at 4.5 million a year non-guaranteed. The Browns just released OG Eric Steinbach who took 6 million off their cap. They already had some room before that, and could have easily fit Winston into their lineup. Pair him and Ben Tate together and you should be able to snag their 2nd and 3rd round picks easily or #22 and a late 4th.

Nobody wants an Eric Winston who cant pass a physical, @ the back end of his bloated contract. And on top of that give up a draft pick? No thanks. They want him on their terms. Not ours.

Ole Miss Texan
03-15-2012, 10:18 AM

Justin Blackmon anyone?

I would make that trade yesterday. That would not be a good trade for Cleveland. The 4 is just too valuable.

Think about this. Re-sign Ward; trade the 26 and Tate for the 4. We can then try and move down in the draft from 4 to like 15 and that would net us a 1st round next year at least. So we would have moved up 10 spots and we'd have two 1st rounders next year. At the middle of the first this year we could look at Floyd or an OT or Decastro at OG.

I just think there's no way Cleveland would do that deal. No way.

ObsiWan
03-15-2012, 10:20 AM

I was kinda thinking that this means it's a done deal.
:D

badboy
03-15-2012, 10:48 AM
I would do it in a heartbeat. WR is our biggest need and Blackmon is the best WR prospect this year. Hell, I wanted him last year too.

I am ok with filling 2 needs at the bottom of round 1 as well. I just dont like the idea of starting over at center this year.Who do you replace Tate with?

badboy
03-15-2012, 10:52 AM

The pill referance was the the move Matrix by the way. I'm surprised no one caught that. :smiliepalm:whoops, I guess wrong; thought it was the Arnold Sci Fy movie where he went to Mars (or didn't). Total Recall if I recall correctly.

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Who do you replace Tate with?

Derrick Ward?
LT?
Tim Hightower?
BenJarvus Green-Ellis?
Ryan Grant?

Cyrus Grey in the 4th! :D

Lots of option. They aren't better than Tate, but they can take some carries.

badboy
03-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Not to worry. With two first round picks we give one to Wade and the other to Gary. One of 'em is bound to be good. One is our Mario replacement and the other our Myers/Brisiel replacement. I smell win-win.

And if it were me, I'd squeeze the Brownies for a 6th too ...just cause with Hillis gone I know they be desperate.
:evil:Do we have to have a back up OLB in first?

Blake
03-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Who do you replace Tate with?

There are alot of FA RB's out there, and im sure a few of them fit our scheme. Thats for Gary and his staff to decide.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/running-back/

Also the draft will produce a few zone runners in the later rounds or Undrafted Free Agents. Here are a couple.

Bernard Pierce, Temple
Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati
Robert Turbin, Utah State
LaMichael James, Oregon

ArlingtonTexan
03-15-2012, 10:59 AM

You are not paying enough attention the NFL if you think this.

badboy
03-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Derrick Ward?
LT?
Tim Hightower?
BenJarvus Green-Ellis?
Ryan Grant?

Lots of option. They aren't better than Tate, but they can take some carries.Wasn't being critical just want some options to think on. I like Ward but he will be 32 even if not a lot of wear.

I was reviewing Grey this morning but like Turbin better.

GP
03-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Wasn't being critical just want some options to think on. I like Ward but he will be 32 even if not a lot of wear.

I was reviewing Grey this morning but like Turbin better.

I'm good to go with Turbin, too. That makes three of us who like Turbin.

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 11:27 AM
You are not paying enough attention the NFL if you think this.

I get it, trades are less common in the NFL, but it's a matter of need vs value. Look at this guy:

Jared Gaither got $9 M guaranteed, $13.5 M in the first 2 years of his deal with the Chargers. $18.5 M in first 3 yrs

A guy who played in 26 of 48 games over the last 3 years got that much, and you don't think Winston at 4.5 million a year is an attractive contract? Winston hasn't missed a start since he was given the position in 2006. The dude is worth that much for sure.

drs23
03-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Derrick Ward?
LT?
Tim Hightower?
BenJarvus Green-Ellis?
Ryan Grant?

Lots of option. They aren't better than Tate, but they can take some carries.

Yes. A bruiser who doesn't go backwards and has yet to fumble. A good second back IMHO.

ArlingtonTexan
03-15-2012, 12:23 PM
I get it, trades are less common in the NFL, but it's a matter of need vs value. Look at this guy:

Jared Gaither got $9 M guaranteed, $13.5 M in the first 2 years of his deal with the Chargers. $18.5 M in first 3 yrs

A guy who played in 26 of 48 games over the last 3 years got that much, and you don't think Winston at 4.5 million a year is an attractive contract? Winston hasn't missed a start since he was given the position in 2006. The dude is worth that much for sure.

I am not saying that it should not be the way you are thinking, but the NFL values (over probably) draft picks greatly. I didn't feel like looking it up, but I can't remember the last straight 1st rounder for player trade.

G27RR
03-15-2012, 06:26 PM
I am not saying that it should not be the way you are thinking, but the NFL values (over probably) draft picks greatly. I didn't feel like looking it up, but I can't remember the last straight 1st rounder for player trade.

Carson Palmer for a 1st and more last year to go to the Raiders. Tate is highly unlikely to get a 1st though, I agree with you there.

thunderkyss
03-15-2012, 06:32 PM

Oh, I caught it.

Just thought you might need that other blue pill.

Lucky
03-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Ben Tate has 2 years left on his contract....
That's another reason it's difficult to get a good draft pick for a player. The Browns can draft a RB and have him under contract for 4 or 5 years.

thunderkyss
03-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Winston already visited Miami and has visits scheduled with St Louis, KC, Baltimore and Detroit. He is a hot commodity and the best OT remaining in free agency. I really can't imagine he would have no trade value even at 4.5 million a year non-guaranteed.

Pair him and Ben Tate together and you should be able to snag their 2nd and 3rd round picks easily or #22 and a late 4th.

OJT.

Rick Smith is making the Colts GM look like a seasoned pro.

TheMatrix31
03-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Yes. A bruiser who doesn't go backwards and has yet to fumble. A good second back IMHO.

With our luck his first fumble would come with us and be really, REALLY important.

SteveSlaton20
03-15-2012, 06:47 PM
The reason they lead in passes dropped was because Colt McCoy was woefully underthrowing and missing WRs.

Your sentence doesn't even make any sense. If he was missing the WRs, there'd no chance at dropping the ball.

Cleveland have other needs before they go and ruin another QB. The only linemen they have that's worth anything is Joe Thomas and maybe Alex Mack. Their best target is Ben freaking Watson... That should tell you about their WRs... Greg Little could be a decent WR but he simply drops too much. Not to mention Colt had little to no help in the run game, since Hillis and Hardesty(sp?) were hurt for some of the season and weren't very effective when they were in the games. To blame Colt for all of those drops is just ridiculous, and there's not QB worth getting in this draft unless Luck or RGIII somehow don't get drafted by the Colts or Redskins. The Browns needs to improve their offense with skill players this year and if Colt doesn't pan out, next year QB class is DEEP.

That said, I wouldn't even attempt to trade Ben Tate unless the Browns are willing to give up their 22nd pick. Ben Tate is a proven player who's going to get better, and we need a good backup for Foster, and Tate is the perfect guy for that.

Lucky
03-15-2012, 07:41 PM

But Gaither didn't cost a draft choice and a contract. All the Chargers had to do was pay Gaither.

What is a draft pick worth in NFL money? That's a part of the equation that teams have computed but fans don't have a handle on.

ObsiWan
03-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Do we have to have a back up OLB in first?

Not necessarily. But I'm thinking (and I know all this is imaginary) that if we give one of the firsts to Wade, he's gonna want to replace the first string pass rusher he just lost (to those A-holes who FIRED him no less!). I just figure Wade will want to fill out the OLB rotation. Even Uncle Bob said the other day that Wade would like to have 3 studs in that rotation.

And if Wade picks him, maybe he won't be the backup. Maybe he leap frogs Brooks.

Are you good with only Barwin, Reed, Nading, and Braman? Because that's all the OLBs we have on the roster now.

El Tejano
03-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Not necessarily. But I'm thinking (and I know all this is imaginary) that if we give one of the firsts to Wade, he's gonna want to replace the first string pass rusher he just lost (to those A-holes who FIRED him no less!). I just figure Wade will want to fill out the OLB rotation. Even Uncle Bob said the other day that Wade would like to have 3 studs in that rotation.
And if Wade picks him, maybe he won't be the backup. Maybe he leap frogs Brooks.

Are you good with only Barwin, Reed, Nading, and Braman? Because that's all the OLBs we have on the roster now.

Honest question....what's wrong with Braman? Dude showed some flashes as a rookie. I think we forget about him.

badboy
03-15-2012, 09:00 PM
There are alot of FA RB's out there, and im sure a few of them fit our scheme. Thats for Gary and his staff to decide.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/running-back/

Also the draft will produce a few zone runners in the later rounds or Undrafted Free Agents. Here are a couple.

Bernard Pierce, Temple
Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati
Robert Turbin, Utah State
LaMichael James, OregonYeah I like Turbin in 4th only if we lose Tate.

thunderkyss
03-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Honest question....what's wrong with Braman? Dude showed some flashes as a rookie. I think we forget about him.

James Harrison was cut from the Steelers twice before he became the player we know today.

That said, there is nothing wrong with Brahman & we aren't forgetting about him. I think we need three talented pass rushers before we can say "we're set" at OLB. Brahman is a maybe.

We can't count Brahman & not address the position in the offseason & expect to do as well next year as we did in 2011.

Think of it like this. In 2009, Glover Quin was our best CB, Brice McCain was arguably our second. We ditched Dunta, drafted a first round rookie & viola.......

Right now, Brahman is a fraction of a hair better than a second day draft pick; as far as projections go.

ObsiWan
03-16-2012, 04:25 AM

Nothing's wrong with him but he was mainly a special teams guy. I didn't see anything that said he's ready to be a key part of the OLB rotation. Dressed out all 16 games - only 8 tackles. As a comparison, Nading saw action in 11 games and had 11 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery.

I guess I'd just like to see an upgrade.

dalemurphy
03-16-2012, 04:59 AM
Nothing's wrong with him but he was mainly a special teams guy. I didn't see anything that said he's ready to be a key part of the OLB rotation. Dressed out all 16 games - only 8 tackles. As a comparison, Nading saw action in 11 games and had 11 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery.

I guess I'd just like to see an upgrade.

Braman is a great back end of the roster player with starter potential. I love the guy. ...

My 11 year old son is a very thoughtful, mature young man. One day, barring the unforeseen, he will make a very reliable driver. However, I'm not handing him my keys, the car, and a license yet. I'm going to wait for things to unfold and see how he handles adolescence.

ThaJokaa
03-17-2012, 11:33 AM
If we trade Ben Tate to the Browns for the #4 pick we can move ahead of the Rams and scoop Justin Blackmon, thoughts? I love Ben Tate as our back up also with our 1-2 punch combo at RB but Blackmon is Andre 2.0 if we draft him.

welsh texan
03-17-2012, 11:36 AM
If we trade Ben Tate to the Browns for the #4 pick we can move ahead of the Rams and scoop Justin Blackmon, thoughts? I love Ben Tate as our back up also with our 1-2 punch combo at RB but Blackmon is Andre 2.0 if we draft him.

Errr...HELLZ Yeah!!...But you're living in dreamland if you think they give up #4 for Tate, I can't really see them giving up #22 unless we were to throw in some sweetner. And in keeping with current themes, there's a thread for that!

ObsiWan
03-17-2012, 11:40 AM
I think the real question is why would the Browns give up this pick when they could use it on Trent Richardson?

drunkcookie
03-17-2012, 11:41 AM
I have my number 44 Texans shirt on today, so HELL NO!

Maybe tomorrow...

Playoffs
03-17-2012, 11:45 AM
I think the real question is why would the Browns give up this pick when they could use it on Trent Richardson?He's a difference maker ... big time. No way Browns do that. Silly

GP
03-17-2012, 11:53 AM
The idea we could get #4 for Tate is stunning. There's ZERO chance. Foster might do the trick, but never would the Browns hand us the #4 pick for Tate.

And to be honest, I once had a man crush on Blackmon. But lately I don't have that bromance for him like I did. Something tells me he could be over-hyped for what he'll encounter in the NFL.

It's fun to watch him pick on teams like TTU and other Big 12 teams who have low secondary talent. Yay. What will he do when he's challenged in the NFL every Sunday by the best of college CBs...guys who have been a CB in the NFL for 3 or 4 or 5 years and then the Safeties also come over and play help on that side, too? Does he go Randy Moss and stop running his routes since it's no longer "easy pickins"? Does he let up? Drag his ass on plays?

Too early to anoint Blackmon as AJ version 2.0.

CloakNNNdagger
03-17-2012, 12:14 PM

I actually hope that we somehow end up with Michael Floyd..........with Blackmon's history, he may have too many problems staying out of Houston bars.

Vinny
03-17-2012, 12:21 PM
If we trade Ben Tate to the Browns for the #4 pick we can move ahead of the Rams and scoop Justin Blackmon, thoughts? I love Ben Tate as our back up also with our 1-2 punch combo at RB but Blackmon is Andre 2.0 if we draft him.what it would really mean if we get the Skids #4 pick is that the Browns GM is smoking crack. If that is the case, we just need to send them some brillo and a few rocks...

infantrycak
03-17-2012, 12:22 PM
I actually hope that we somehow end up with Michael Floyd..........with Blackmon's history, he may have too many problems staying out of Houston bars.

Especially since the Texans' WRs (sometimes others join) go out as a group to a bar each Thursday including AJ although he is very low key and not a big drinker.

ThaJokaa
03-17-2012, 12:38 PM

I wouldnt mind Floyd, Wright or Jeffery

srrono
03-17-2012, 12:43 PM
no way CLE gives a 1st at best it would be number 2 or maybe a swap of our 26 + Tate for thier 22.

TheMatrix31
03-17-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm not crazy about taking anybody from Notre Dame. Seems like everyone they produce becomes worthless.

mussop
03-17-2012, 01:40 PM
I would do it for #37 and their 5th round pick. That would give us a lot of options early in the draft. We could use #26 and #37 to trade up into the early teens and draft Floyd or Decastro. Or we could use one of them to trade down to stockpile e tra picks. There is going to be some very good value in this draft in the middle rounds.

Hottoddie
03-17-2012, 02:05 PM
While I like Tate as our backup RB, if Cleveland is willing to give up their late 1st or their 2nd (#37) for him, I promptly accept their offer & immediately go out & sign Michael Bush in free agency.

thunderkyss
03-17-2012, 02:21 PM
no way CLE gives a 1st at best it would be number 2 or maybe a swap of our 26 + Tate for thier 22.

I would demand 22 & a 2nd for Tate & 26..... if I can't get the 2nd, I'd want this year's 3rd & next years.

Playoffs
03-17-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm not crazy about taking anybody from Notre Dame. Seems like everyone they produce becomes worthless.
Well, there was that one...

G27RR
03-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Unless they gave us crazy value, which is dumb on their part, I don't get giving up Tate. He's a proven performer playing for under $500k/year for the next two years. Hard to replace that value with an UFA or a draft pick, unless it's a high one.

Lucky
03-17-2012, 02:46 PM
What's Blackmon's history? Because I know that Floyd is still on probation for a DUI last year. Floyd was also arrested in 2010 for underage drinking.

drunkcookie
03-17-2012, 03:00 PM
What's Blackmon's history? Because I know that Floyd is still on probation for a DUI last year. Floyd was also arrested in 2010 for underage drinking.

Lol... I almost looked Floyd up because I thought he had been in trouble... is it too late for NNN to edit his post? I hate when that happens...

Lucky
03-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Lol... I almost looked Floyd up because I thought he had been in trouble... is it too late for NNN to edit his post? I hate when that happens...
I was honestly wondering what he knew about Blackmon. Are there any WRs out there without a rap sheet?

TheMatrix31
03-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Well, there was that one...

I know, but it's been quiiiite a while. lol

Titans Sux 72
03-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Unless they gave us crazy value, which is dumb on their part, I don't get giving up Tate. He's a proven performer playing for under $500k/year for the next two years. Hard to replace that value with an UFA or a draft pick, unless it's a high one.

Tate was drafted to start (the Texans at the time did not know what they had in AF) and he isn't. 22nd pick by itself is good enough for me. He is a good backup but more picks are worth a lot more IMHO.

rush2112mn
03-17-2012, 03:42 PM
No way they let Tate go.
You need a quality backup for Foster in case he gets hurt.....like he was last year.
If you trade Tate away......who is your backup to Foster......no.....I dont like that idead of trading him away....

Your playing with fire if you trade Tate.....that makes no sence whatsoever.

Foster and Tate are a good combo....they feed off each other and push each other.....Foster likes the competition they have going at runningback....I like it too....

You let Tate go by trade.....then your going to have to WASTE A draft pick on another running back.....that is a waste of a draft pick.

We need our draft picks for other things .....not replacing a good running back....

CloakNNNdagger
03-17-2012, 03:51 PM

Evidently, from someone who went to school with him, he had a previous DUI removed from his record. And his last DUI was accompanied by a 100+ (brought down to 92) mph tag.

CloakNNNdagger
03-17-2012, 03:57 PM
I was honestly wondering what he knew about Blackmon. Are there any WRs out there without a rap sheet?

There are those that drink and get in bad time trouble.............and there are those like JJ that fall asleep in cars waiting to be served.:kubepalm:

Thorn
03-17-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm not so sure the Texans have the CAP room to sign a top ten pick this year and have room next year for all their FAs and new draftees.

clutch
03-17-2012, 07:59 PM
For there 1st round pick.. I would pull the triger in a second..

Carr Bombed
03-18-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm not so sure the Texans have the CAP room to sign a top ten pick this year and have room next year for all their FAs and new draftees.

With the new rookie salary cap the Texans would have plenty of space to sign a top 10 pick... Cam Newton the #1 pick in the draft only got a 22 million dollar contract.

Dutchrudder
03-18-2012, 01:42 PM
The Browns aren't giving up a 1st for Tate, even #22, unless we send something else with Tate like our 3rd. The Browns would probably give up their 2nd for Tate, but that's about it. I don't have a problem turning him into the #37 pick because I know we can get RBs later in the draft. We have other more pressing needs now that could be addressed at 37, and then utilize our 4th for RB instead. We could get a starting RG with that pick like Kevin Zeitler. I think it would make a lot of sense if we are truly in the "win now" state of mind.

Iceman16
03-18-2012, 02:13 PM
I think in Today's NFL you got to have two good running backs.
You can get them late in the draft though (we've got a pretty great example of that on our team). I'd love to retain Tate, but it must come at the right price.

Iceman16
03-18-2012, 02:15 PM
If we trade Ben Tate to the Browns for the #4 pick
rofl

Lucky
03-18-2012, 02:24 PM
We could get a starting RG with that pick like Kevin Zeitler.
Why Zeitler? He's more of an inline power blocker that would fit a scheme like the Steelers. Konz has the mobility to play in the ZBS, and could move to Guard. He would be a better fit for the Texans.

Lucky
03-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Evidently, from someone who went to school with him, he had a previous DUI removed from his record. And his last DUI was accompanied by a 100+ (brought down to 92) mph tag.
I had never heard of this story. Here's the 2010 DUI episode (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5729979):

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/197/oklahoma-state-cowboys) star wide receiver Justin Blackmon (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=380077) was arrested early Tuesday on a suburban Dallas highway on a misdemeanor DUI complaint and his status with the Cowboys was unclear headed into the final weeks of the season.

Blackmon was arrested at 3:45 a.m. after officers used radar to determine he was driving 92 mph in a 60 mph zone along Interstate 35 in Carrollton, Texas, police spokesman Dustin Bartram said.

panamamyers
03-18-2012, 02:47 PM
I think you would be foolish not to do it for the #22 pick.
Tate is a backup. A great backup, but a backup.

With the #22 pick, we would get a starter. Kendall Wright let's say.

You can get a backup running back in the 6th round, Cyrus Gray or Edwin Baker for instance.

Would you rather have Kendall Wright as a starting receiver and Cyrus Gray as your backup running back or Kevin Walter as a starting receiver and Ben Tate as your backup running back.

To me, unless it's a position that isn't as important such as fullback, you always upgrade your starters at the expense of downgrading your backups.

Dutchrudder
03-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Why Zeitler? He's more of an inline power blocker that would fit a scheme like the Steelers. Konz has the mobility to play in the ZBS, and could move to Guard. He would be a better fit for the Texans.

They played together in the same system at Wisconsin, and they have nearly identical measurables in size and weight (6'4 and 6'5, both 315 pounds). Zeitler however is much stronger as displayed at the combine with 32 reps on the bench versus Konz's 18. While Konz is more mobile than Zeitler, I think either one could fit our system. However, if we are talking about playing Right Guard, I'll take the stronger of the two. If we are talking Center, I would prefer Konz. If we could get both, I'd be ecstatic, so picking Zeitler at 37 wouldn't deter me from taking Konz at 26.

PapaL
03-18-2012, 04:43 PM
I think you would be foolish not to do it for the #22 pick.
Tate is a backup. A great backup, but a backup.

With the #22 pick, we would get a starter. Kendall Wright let's say.

You can get a backup running back in the 6th round, Cyrus Gray or Edwin Baker for instance.

Would you rather have Kendall Wright as a starting receiver and Cyrus Gray as your backup running back or Kevin Walter as a starting receiver and Ben Tate as your backup running back.

To me, unless it's a position that isn't as important such as fullback, you always upgrade your starters at the expense of downgrading your backups.

He did pretty damn well as a starter, a starter, pretty damn well, when Foster was down.
Just saying, a backup is one snap away from being a starter. I'll take Tate over any unknown today.

Rey
03-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Browns should just trade down or just take Richardson if they want to use a first round pick on a RB...

panamamyers
03-18-2012, 09:38 PM
He did pretty damn well as a starter, a starter, pretty damn well, when Foster was down.
Just saying, a backup is one snap away from being a starter. I'll take Tate over any unknown today.

Hey, I love Ben Tate. There were times when I thought he was better than Foster.

It's not like I am dying to give him away.

You always take a starter over a backup though, no matter how good that backup may be. If we can parlay, what to us is, a backup at one position(particularly a position in which there is only one on the field at a time) into a starter at another position of need we need to look at it.

Wolf6151
03-19-2012, 02:11 PM
The Browns aren't giving up a 1st for Tate, even #22, unless we send something else with Tate like our 3rd. The Browns would probably give up their 2nd for Tate, but that's about it. I don't have a problem turning him into the #37 pick because I know we can get RBs later in the draft. We have other more pressing needs now that could be addressed at 37, and then utilize our 4th for RB instead. We could get a starting RG with that pick like Kevin Zeitler. I think it would make a lot of sense if we are truly in the "win now" state of mind.

If we need to sweeten the deal, I'd throw in Jacoby Jones since I think we'll be cutting him anyway.

Dutchrudder
03-19-2012, 02:30 PM
If we need to sweeten the deal, I'd throw in Jacoby Jones since I think we'll be cutting him anyway.

Well I think that train has sailed for the Texans. I expect Jonathan Stewart to be dealt to the Browns if anyone is. He's in the last year of his deal, won't be much of a cap hit if traded, and he's a potential franchise RB. I would love to see the Browns get him for a 3rd and sign him to an extension. That would be a good deal for the Panthers as they were going to let him walk in 2013 anyways now that they signed Mike Tolbert.

/Deangelo Williams' contract makes him untradeable IMO.

ObsiWan
03-19-2012, 06:10 PM

And this is your idea of sweetening the deal?? To toss in a WR with suspect hands, questionable judgement, and decent return capability?
Did I mention the Browns already have the top returner in the AFC??
:)

b0ng
06-25-2012, 01:17 PM
I've read some posts on football forums that the Texans turned down the Browns #22 for Ben Tate offer.

They should've taken that if true.

Ryan
06-25-2012, 01:20 PM
If he has another good year next year we should try to deal him if at all possible, because I highly doubt we'll be able to retain him after 2014 and we can at least hopefully get something for him in return.

Dutchrudder
06-25-2012, 01:30 PM
I've read some posts on football forums that the Texans turned down the Browns #22 for Ben Tate offer.

Got any sources for that? All I had seen was #37 for him, which is kind of a wash for us. It would let us reallocate resources, but I don't like the idea of having nothing behind Foster. Plus, Foster's future is more important than getting another WR. A reliable RB like Tate is vital to extending Foster's career, which is the real reason Tate is so valuable to us. I think the Texans made the right choice.

I think once Cleveland knew that trade wasn't going to happen, they switched gears from Blackmon, Tannehill or Claiborne and went for Richardson. Peyton Hillis made that offense sort of work in 2011, and they need a bell-cow RB like TR or Tate to carry the load.

Playoffs
06-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Tate is an NFL proven starting quality RB. #22 or #37 hasn't proven anything.

If Foster gets injured, w/out Tate we have no playoffs hope imo.

badboy
06-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Got any sources for that? All I had seen was #37 for him, which is kind of a wash for us. It would let us reallocate resources, but I don't like the idea of having nothing behind Foster. Plus, Foster's future is more important than getting another WR. A reliable RB like Tate is vital to extending Foster's career, which is the real reason Tate is so valuable to us. I think the Texans made the right choice.

I think once Cleveland knew that trade wasn't going to happen, they switched gears from Blackmon, Tannehill or Claiborne and went for Richardson. Peyton Hillis made that offense sort of work in 2011, and they need a bell-cow RB like TR or Tate to carry the load.I really like Tate and know his worth in our system but if we could have picked #22 DeCastro and still selected rest of our draft, I'd like that also. Problem is I cannot find a RB at any of the other picks. I really like Brooks and he and DeCastro would erase my Oline concerns.

Dutchrudder
06-25-2012, 02:56 PM
I really like Tate and know his worth in our system but if we could have picked #22 DeCastro and still selected rest of our draft, I'd like that also. Problem is I cannot find a RB at any of the other picks. I really like Brooks and he and DeCastro would erase my Oline concerns.

Why? We have been playing with Wade Smith and Mike Brisiel the last two years at guard, neither were highly sought after when we got them. Smith isn't even all that good and is rather mediocre in pass protection. Brisiel was a nobody that the Texans turned into a good player. They can do it again, the system isn't really that dependent on guard play. I think it's relatively plug and play at those spots.

If we were redrafting with 22 and 26, I'd probably want Donta Hightower at 22, and Coby Fleener at 26. But like you said, I don't know where to get a RB in this draft given our picks. I suppose you could get Lamar Miller in the 3rd somewhere, or Cyrus Grey in the 5/6th if they moved around a little.

badboy
06-25-2012, 03:00 PM
I think maybe turning down the #22 IF true tells us about how FO evaluates Caldwell and Wade Smith.

Blake
06-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Piss off with #22.

thunderkyss
06-25-2012, 05:57 PM
I'd have taken that 22 & tried to parlay it into a 2nd in the 2012 draft & a 1st in the 2013 draft.

Or even 2 2nds next year.

We're getting to the position where we need to be stockpiling picks, building the collateral we'll need if there is a player we want to move up for.

Time to start acting like the Patriots & really work the draft.

steelbtexan
06-25-2012, 06:44 PM
If the Texans could've gotten #22 I would've done this deal.

#22. Hill

Re-sign Ward
Pick Cyrus Gray in the 5-6th rd.

I doubt this trade was offered though

ArlingtonTexan
06-25-2012, 06:56 PM

this obviously would have been before the start of the draft since the Browns traded up to insure that they got Richardson.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d828a1a27/article/nfl-draft-trade-tracker-details-of-all-the-moves

and would not have traded an additional 1st for a back-up RB.

Playoffs
06-25-2012, 07:26 PM
this obviously would have been before the start of the draft since the Browns traded up to insure that they got Richardson.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d828a1a27/article/nfl-draft-trade-tracker-details-of-all-the-moves

and would not have traded an additional 1st for a back-up RB.Geez, someone actually put some thought into this. :handshake:

Texan_Bill
06-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Why would you entertain trading Ben Tate this year? This time next year, sure. He would be entering his final year of his contract. Right now, I like the offense that ran for (between Foster and Tate) 2,166 yards. Of that, 942 were from Tate which is pretty substantial for someone with very limited opportunities.

SO, keep him around now and entertain trade ideas this time next year... NOT now.

badboy
06-25-2012, 07:59 PM
I'd have taken that 22 & tried to parlay it into a 2nd in the 2012 draft & a 1st in the 2013 draft.

We're getting to the position where we need to be stockpiling picks, building the collateral we'll need if there is a player we want to move up for.

Time to start acting like the Patriots & really work the draft.I'm gonna disagree TK. We have picks next season with the comps, I wanted another first round selection now, especially if it was DeCastro who would start this season.

TEXANRED
06-25-2012, 08:53 PM
It's going to be Foster/Tate that gets us to the Superbowl so Cleveland can go shove it.

rush2112mn
06-26-2012, 03:33 AM
All this trade Tate crap.....makes no sence. He is your insurance policy if Foster is hurt. Forsett took Ward's place. You trade Tate away. I just dont think that is very sound.

I have said this before.....Foster and Tate make a good combo.....Foster the slasher....Tate the bruiser. They feed off each other. They both complement each other.

I just think it is a mistake to do trade him and am against it .........:thumbdown

HOU-TEX
06-26-2012, 09:04 AM

Time to start acting like the Patriots & really work the draft.

I'm just commenting on the bolded, TK. I know you're meaning gathering the amount of picks they do, not who they've selected. But, I giggle every time I hear how good the Pats are in the draft. IMO, half the time when they're moving up and down the board they're missing on good players. When they do actually select someone they suck. Maybe winning the most number of picks in a draft is a win for BB, but if 75% of those picks suck then you've failed your team.

Patriots drafting = Suck

Why would you entertain trading Ben Tate this year? This time next year, sure. He would be entering his final year of his contract. Right now, I like the offense that ran for (between Foster and Tate) 2,166 yards. Of that, 942 were from Tate which is pretty substantial for someone with very limited opportunities.

SO, keep him around now and entertain trade ideas this time next year... NOT now.

Agreed! Heck, I'm not even sure I'd look at trading him then. We need both he and Arian, but I understand Tate will want to start and be paid like one.

dalemurphy
06-26-2012, 09:12 AM
I giggle every time I hear how good the Pats are in the draft. IMO, half the time when they're moving up and down the board they're missing on good players. When they do actually select someone they suck. Maybe winning the most number of picks in a draft is a win for BB, but if 75% of those picks suck then you've failed your team.

Patriots drafting = Suck

1st- I would not trade Tate right now.

2nd- In principle, I agree that Belichek gets too much credit now, because of how great he was (and the entire organization) for about a 5 year period between 2001 and 2006.

However, the Patriots have masterfully worked the draft. Though they have made plenty of personnel mistakes, they have been able to continually flood the team with young, inexpensive talent, thereby managing the cap so that they have now had an 11 year run of great success that looks to continue indefinitely. To be consistent Superbowl contenders and have won no less than 9 games in each of the past 11 or 12 seasons is a remarkable achievement in the salary cap era.... Remember, they went 11-5 without Brady (this isn't only about him). They are doing things that we will never see another organization accomplish under the salary cap system.

beerlover
06-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Texans ability to run the ball is key to passing game. Injury attrition @ RB position means you need at least three solid productive backs with another one stashed on practice squad. Tate's numbers will appear padded opposite Foster because of the system & wearing down opposing defenses. He will either get a nice bump in his contract here or be dealt for plus value, he does have the workhorse pedigree, displayed while playing @ Auburn.

steelbtexan
06-26-2012, 09:24 AM
All this trade Tate crap.....makes no sence. He is your insurance policy if Foster is hurt. Forsett took Ward's place. You trade Tate away. I just dont think that is very sound.

I have said this before.....Foster and Tate make a good combo.....Foster the slasher....Tate the bruiser. They feed off each other. They both complement each other.

I just think it is a mistake to do trade him and am against it .........:thumbdown

This depends on

1. How you feel about the current WR corps. (I dont care for them much)
2. If you feel like Ward and Forsett could do the job if Foster went down. (I do feel like they could handle the job.)
3. If you want to trade Tate when his value is high.

I understand the other side of the coin and why people were against trading Tate. I just feel like WR2 is a more pressing problem than RB2.

HJam72
06-26-2012, 09:28 AM
It would take a proven, young, stud PLAYER for me to let Tate go. I didn't say pick. Tate is proven, not a gamble that could be a future bust. Now, if ya wanna start talkin' about pickS, like a Herschel walker thing, then we'll be glade to take your lunch and eat it.

El Tejano
06-26-2012, 10:16 AM
I just want Ben Tate to hold on to the ball.

thunderkyss
06-26-2012, 03:29 PM
I'm just commenting on the bolded, TK. I know you're meaning gathering the amount of picks they do, not who they've selected. But, I giggle every time I hear how good the Pats are in the draft. IMO, half the time when they're moving up and down the board they're missing on good players. When they do actually select someone they suck. Maybe winning the most number of picks in a draft is a win for BB, but if 75% of those picks suck then you've failed your team.

Patriots drafting = Suck

I agree. Last few drafts hadn't worked out very well for them. But I'm thinking... Let's say, for whatever reason, Yates & Keenum don't look like the heir apparents we think they are next season, or the season after.

& a Jay Cutler drops out of the top ten, sitting there at 11.

It would be nice to have the capital to go up & get him, than having to give up your whole draft. If we have the same front office we've got now, we'll probably just miss out on the guy.

For all you Matt Schaub fans, I'm saying another 2 to 3 years of Schaub. We can't honestly expect much more than that can we? Not performing as he has or better, I don't think.

thunderkyss
06-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Texans ability to run the ball is key to passing game. Injury attrition @ RB position means you need at least three solid productive backs with another one stashed on practice squad. Tate's numbers will appear padded opposite Foster because of the system & wearing down opposing defenses. He will either get a nice bump in his contract here or be dealt for plus value, he does have the workhorse pedigree, displayed while playing @ Auburn.

What kind of plus value did the Saints get for Sproles? Or Michael Turner?

(Damn, the Chargers & Norv Turner look like idiots)

GP
06-26-2012, 03:39 PM
A solid 2012 and Ben Tate will be PRIMED for trading after the season is over.

In fact, with Foster having just inked a nice big contract, meaning he's locked up for the next several years, I'm all for getting Ben the ball as much as we can.

I don't think any of us are under the illusion that we can afford everyone AND Ben Tate if he has a very solid 2012. In fact, the guy would deserve the chance to go and be a RB1 for somebody else anyways.

Here's to hoping we parlay something 1st round'ish out of Ben Tate after he helps us win a SB this year! :barman:

Dutchrudder
06-26-2012, 04:18 PM
A solid 2012 and Ben Tate will be PRIMED for trading after the season is over.

In fact, with Foster having just inked a nice big contract, meaning he's locked up for the next several years, I'm all for getting Ben the ball as much as we can.

I don't think any of us are under the illusion that we can afford everyone AND Ben Tate if he has a very solid 2012. In fact, the guy would deserve the chance to go and be a RB1 for somebody else anyways.

Here's to hoping we parlay something 1st round'ish out of Ben Tate after he helps us win a SB this year! :barman:

I think there will be a couple teams looking to score Tate from us next year, teams like the 49ers (Gore is old), Lions (no RBs), Steelers (Mendenhall is retarded and Redman is iffy), Bengals (young team needs a reliable RB), Packers (need a pass catching RB that can protect the QB), Giants (Bradshaw is quick, Tate could compliment him well), Broncos (McGahee is old) or even the Colts (do they have a RB?). Plenty of teams can use Tate, he's really versatile and shouldn't be pigeonholed into a specific scheme.

I think he will be quite appealing next year, and may be used in a multi-pick trade. We should have 4 comp picks coming our way, which gives us 11 going into the draft. Seems like a lot, so why not take Tate and a 4th and move into the mid-first? I would do that if the Bengals were offering as I don't expect them to make the playoffs.

drs23
06-26-2012, 04:35 PM
I think there will be a couple teams looking to score Tate from us next year, teams like the 49ers (Gore is old), Lions (no RBs), Steelers (Mendenhall is retarded and Redman is iffy), Bengals (young team needs a reliable RB), Packers (need a pass catching RB that can protect the QB), Giants (Bradshaw is quick, Tate could compliment him well), Broncos (McGahee is old) or even the Colts (do they have a RB?). Plenty of teams can use Tate, he's really versatile and shouldn't be pigeonholed into a specific scheme.

I think he will be quite appealing next year, and may be used in a multi-pick trade. We should have 4 comp picks coming our way, which gives us 11 going into the draft. Seems like a lot, so why not take Tate and a 4th and move into the mid-first? I would do that if the Bengals were offering as I don't expect them to make the playoffs.

Not to derail here but I'm thinking the Bengals are looking pretty good for this season. With the moves they've made and the Red Rifle in his 2nd year I think they're going to be competitive.

But then I thought my first wife was hot AND faithful, so what do I know? :D

FirstTexansFan
06-26-2012, 05:03 PM

Hey be glad you got a "hot" one... mine's so ugly she can't be unfaithful /DUCK!!! :)

Dutchrudder
06-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Not to derail here but I'm thinking the Bengals are looking pretty good for this season. With the moves they've made and the Red Rifle in his 2nd year I think they're going to be competitive.

Yeah, but the glaring hole in their offense right now is RB. They let Cedric Benson go, who was a workhorse for them, and I think he was more important than they realized. They had the money to keep him, but instead are just saving money before the 90% floor is implemented next year. BGE simply isn't an every-down RB, and I think they will be unpleasantly surprised next year to learn this the hard way. They will be hurting for a RB and Tate will probably be better than every RB in the draft besides Lattimore.

I also wouldn't put it past the Texans to use Tate and some picks (late 1st) to jump up into the top 5 and grab a QB if Schaub doesn't work out this year. Teams that are already invested in QBs already like the Dolphins, Rams and Raiders may be willing to drop 20 spots for Tate, a 1st and a 3rd.