PDA

View Full Version : Myers hitting the market

Playoffs
03-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Stephanie Stradley ‏ @StephStradley Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Ugh. RT @AdamSchein: Myers says talks with Texans are more "conversations than negotiations". He is hitting the open market.

DonnyMost
03-13-2012, 01:24 PM
http://globalsolutions.org/files/public/images/new_start.jpg

LongTimeLurker
03-13-2012, 01:26 PM
i know a temporary solution...named saturday

False Start
03-13-2012, 01:26 PM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/ImageShacksharephotospicturesfreeimagehostingfreev ideohostingimagehostingvideohostingphotoimagehosti ngsitevideohostingsite-2.gif

Mr. Texan
03-13-2012, 01:28 PM
http://www.unathleticmag.com/wp-content/uploads/distraught_fan.gif

:toropalm:

TheMatrix31
03-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Ugh.

ainsworth
I would like to know what is going on. If we let our entire OL go after resigning our RB, that doesn't make much sense.

DonnyMost
http://img.totaloutdoornetwork.com/UserFiles/26/267/26763/129156051954645220.jpg

SAMURAITEXAN
03-13-2012, 01:31 PM
This is not good.

Trap_Star
making all this cap room and not even trying hard to re-sign our own key pieces....

http://troll.me/images/skip-bayless/this-is-my-thinking-face.jpg

Dutchrudder
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/GIFs/4X0S.gif

srrono
03-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Stephanie Stradley ‏ @StephStradley
Rutroh :( MT @PHABMK6 Mangold contract was 8 years/$57.4 m. $25 million guar. That is what Myers agent is looking for as stated on XM radio

ProFootballFocus.com ‏ @ProFootbalFocus
Texans seem happy to let Chris Myers hit the market. That's the best 2/5ths of their OL gone. Big risk

HOU-TEX
03-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Buh-bye Mr. Myers

Thorn
03-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Rutroh :( MT @PHABMK6 Mangold contract was 8 years/$57.4 m. $25 million guar. That is what Myers agent is looking for as stated on XM radio

Myers is good, but not good enough for that kind of money.

Pantherstang84
Well. Don't let the door hit ya where ...

He can count his money in DC or on whatever team overspends for him but will still suck.

Mangold is a different type of lineman in a different type of offense.

badboy
Absolutely not!

Trap_Star
uh...NO to that kind of contract.

The Medic01
03-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Buh-bye Mr. Myers

I'm sorry but we just can't do that. 8 years he wants a contract until he's 38 no thanks.

Kimmy
03-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Drew Rosenhaus is his agent. Ought to be interesting since Drew is also Eric Winston's agent, along with Ward and a few more IIRC

Hardcore Texan
03-13-2012, 01:37 PM

Texans seem happy to let Chris Myers hit the market. That's the best 2/5ths of their OL gone. Big risk

That's chump change.

signed,
Albert Haynesworth

Tonaaayyyy
03-13-2012, 01:37 PM
geeeeeeez :toropalm:

Texn4life
03-13-2012, 01:38 PM

There is no way anyone offers him a contract even approaching that. Its a good starting point if you're his agent, but his actual contract won't look anything like this.

infantrycak
03-13-2012, 01:38 PM

C'mon - we don't need a separate thread for every piece of information which comes out.

To the merits, Myers is limited to playing for a handful of teams whereas Mangold is an all around talent. Myers' agent is doing him a disservice if this is the case and the Texans are making a hard but wise decision.

The1ApplePie
03-13-2012, 01:39 PM

Meyers thinks he's Mangold
Mario thinks he's D-Ware

If they played as well as they want to get paid, the Texans would be two-time Super Bowl Champs

Kimmy
03-13-2012, 01:39 PM
C'mon - we don't need a separate thread for every piece of information which comes out.

To the merits, Myers is limited to playing for a handful of teams whereas Mangold is an all around talent. Myers' agent is doing him a disservice if this is the case and the Texans are making a hard but wise decision.

His agent is Drew Rosenhaus .. did you expect anything less from that guy? This is the man who said the "NFL would crumble without him"

Pantherstang84
03-13-2012, 01:40 PM

Exactly. It is nice to see the FO making difficult but smart decisions regarding resigning players.

Ole Miss Texan

I'm sorry but Duane Brown is our best lineman followed very closely by Myers.

I really like Winston a lot, but I can't tell you the number of times over the past couple years I've slapped my forehead when he lets a pass rusher get to the QB. I have a permanent red mark on my face from it. The guy just isn't great at pass pro.

Texan_Bill

Thanks CAK!

Pantherstang84
03-13-2012, 01:41 PM
There is no way anyone offers him a contract even approaching that. Its a good starting point if you're his agent, but his actual contract won't look anything like this.

He'll probably be back for the best offer the Texans offered him. If not let some other sucker pay that kind of money.

TheMatrix31
03-13-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm sorry but Duane Brown is our best lineman followed very closely by Myers.

I really like Winston a lot, but I can't tell you the number of times over the past couple years I've slapped my forehead when he lets a pass rusher get to the QB. I have a permanent red mark on my face from it. The guy just isn't great at pass pro.

I even tweeted as much to PFF. Brown is clearly our best OL. Major oversight for an otherwise-great source.

And Winston's pass pro sucks and he commits way too many penalties. Worried about losing him but not worried that much. Worried about losing Chris Myers? You betcha.

SAMURAITEXAN
03-13-2012, 01:44 PM
So, we cut our RT and let go C and now what? Maybe we sign Manning, Saturday, Wayne????????????????? No, we are happy with Schaub right? I guess we are signing Mario?

The Medic01
03-13-2012, 01:45 PM
I hate the offseason.

Fico
03-13-2012, 01:46 PM
If that is the deal he is looking for then he will be looking for a long time. As has been stated he has no scheme versatility. He has to go to a primarily ZB team, that significantly limits his options.

It's clear the guy wants to test the market, and I have no problem with that. If he gets $50+ million then good for him, that fish cray.

Showtime100
03-13-2012, 01:46 PM
So, we cut our RT and let go C and now what? Maybe we sign Manning, Saturday, Wayne????????????????? No, we are happy with Schaub right? I guess we are signing Mario?

Don't know
No
No
No
Seems that way
No

:D :D

Dutchrudder
03-13-2012, 01:49 PM

Even if we got those three, we still have holes at RT and RG. Really need to lock up Brisiel at the very least. He's proven his worth to this team and is a superior guard to Wade Smith. I can't believe we might lose 3 of our O-linemen this off season.

srrono
03-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Pro Football Weekly ‏ @ProFootballWkly
The #Chargers have re-signed C Nick Hardwick to a three-year contract.

thats one team that Zone blocking scheme C position gone

GP
Foster said "Test the waters? Hellz nah. I'm good right here. Sign me up."

Wish we had more guys like Foster.

Myers can get paid if a team stoopidly wants to...but they don't have #23 running the ball.

Showtime100
Even if we got those three, we still have holes at RT and RG. Really need to lock up Brisiel at the very least. He's proven his worth to this team and is a superior guard to Wade Smith. I can't believe we might lose 3 of our O-linemen this off season.

I'm just hoping they have a card up their sleeve we don't know about because on paper this is making me nervous.

Malloy
03-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Honestly not nervous, more excited about what'll happen!

Teams lose players every year, good teams loose better players avery year. It's 'part of the game' and I for one won't ever see one or two players as 'the basis' of a team. Sure it'll have an effect that certain players leave, but we'll get over it and move on, and who knows it might be for the better.

Not worried, but excited! :)

Texan_Bill
03-13-2012, 01:59 PM

You might check your math. We could add our RG, LG and LT and it still would be < Manning, Saturday and Wayne. :kitten:

Ryan
03-13-2012, 02:00 PM
If he really wants that kind of money, don't let the door hit ya! :tiphat:

IDEXAN
03-13-2012, 02:02 PM
No. Winston and Myers can't be the best 2/5ths since Duane Brown is our best offensive lineman.

srrono
03-13-2012, 02:06 PM
You guys remeber the advertisment picture of Texans OL as just 1 guy well it looks like our new reality.

Honoring Earl 34
03-13-2012, 02:08 PM
It's funny cause a few years ago Myers was almost run out of town . Fans are a fickle sort that's for sure .

The fact is good teams lose players . The Saints are going to lose Carl Nicks and he's a pretty good guard . It happens and the real question is who is going to take their place .

http://westfieldcomics.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/The-Show-Must-Go-On.jpg

Kimmy
03-13-2012, 02:09 PM
You guys remeber the advertisment picture of Texans OL as just 1 guy well it looks like our new reality.

Remember seeing the other #8 on his back every game? Good times, good times

The Medic01
03-13-2012, 02:15 PM
God it feels like our team has fallen apart in one offseason after one good year. Dam the salary cap.

mussop
03-13-2012, 02:39 PM

Please for the love of god quit posting quotes from that peice of garbage. Ppt SUCKS!!!!!

Premier
03-13-2012, 02:40 PM
you could line up our o-line by best to worst starting from left to right.. i feel like as long as brown and smith are protecting blindside we should be good to go.. i still think brisiel re-signs...

The1ApplePie
03-13-2012, 02:41 PM
It's funny cause a few years ago Myers was almost run out of town . Fans are a fickle sort that's for sure .

The fact is good teams lose players . The Saints are going to lose Carl Nicks and he's a pretty good guard . It happens and the real question is who is going to take their place .

http://westfieldcomics.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/The-Show-Must-Go-On.jpg

Agreed

When did Meyers quit being a bum? I remember him getting destroyed by any half-decent NT in 2010 and 2009. I'm pretty sure there is a "Cut Meyers Now!" thread somewhere.

Mr teX
03-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Hmmm, meyers is looking for that kind of jack...so basically we would've had trouble resigning this dude regardless of the mario situation & we would've stood to loose Brisiel anyway if he made us pony that up.

good to know.

HOU-TEX
03-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Winston's the only one we've lost. It's normal for players to test the market 1st before heading right back to where they were. It's happened to us a couple few times. We just need to watch how it plays out.

The Medic01
03-13-2012, 02:49 PM
He is asking for far too much money and he will test the market. What do you think the odds that we keep him are.

HOU-TEX
03-13-2012, 02:50 PM
A new thread's needed for this?

TheMatrix31
03-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Why can't there just be one ****ing thread to consolidate everything? This is ridiculous.

Playoffs
03-13-2012, 02:51 PM

The Medic01

Ya probably not any mods around here can move it I guess

Texan_Bill

Cheese and rice!!!!

infantrycak
03-13-2012, 02:53 PM
He is asking for far too much money and he will test the market. What do you think the odds that we keep him are.

Seriously folks, we do not need a new thread for every tweet, report or thought which runs through someone's head.

Texan_Bill
03-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Hey HOU-TEX,

Can we start a new thread to discuss Chris Meyer's barbed wire tattoo?? :kitten:

Dutchrudder
03-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Why can't there just be one ****ing thread to consolidate everything? This is ridiculous.

Create a new thread with a poll and see what everyone thinks about doing that.

Thorn
03-13-2012, 02:57 PM

:thinking:

Other than incurring Cak's wrath, that is almost tempting as a joke thread. I believe I'll pass on it this time before the mods have a stroke. LOL

HOU-TEX
03-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Hey HOU-TEX,

Can we start a new thread to discuss Chris Meyer's barbed wire tattoo?? :kitten:

Yeah! You can start one discussing what the hell he uses to shine that dome of his. Deal?

Kthx
03-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Should just merge these threads into "The all inclusive Texans Free Agency MegaThread"

infantrycak
03-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Ya probably not any mods around here can move it I guess

Why be a pain in the butt and create work for someone else instead of using a little common sense and sticking it in the right place?

Showtime100
03-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Why be a pain in the butt and create work for someone else instead of using a little common sense and sticking it in the right place?

If that wasn't a question there would be a hell of a Jeopardy joke to be had. :shades:

WolverineFan
03-13-2012, 03:08 PM
If Myers is really after that kind of money then let him walk.

Draft David Molk in 4th round and be done with it. You won't be sorry, seriously.

Ole Miss Texan
03-13-2012, 03:11 PM
I don't blame Myers (or Brisiel) one bit for testing the FA waters just to get an idea of what he's worth. In my opinion that's the smart thing to do when you're in that position, and I'd probably do the same. I fully expect him to come to the realization that there aren't going to be 10 teams calling him and offering that kind of jack. I suspect he'll come back to the Texans after exploring and sign a fair deal. A good one for him but also considered good for the Texans.

infantrycak
03-13-2012, 04:10 PM
If that wasn't a question there would be a hell of a Jeopardy joke to be had. :shades:

Very nicely played.

TexanFan881
03-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Texans C Chris Myers is in talks with Houston and Tennessee, per league source.

Losing him would be one thing, but please not a division rival.

TheMatrix31
03-13-2012, 06:49 PM
If he were to go to Tennessee, then **** that guy.

Probably (hopefully?) just using them for leverage.

GP
03-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Losing him would be one thing, but please not a division rival.

Not scared of it.

All he does is stick his hands out and shuffle back and forth while backpedaling. JJ Watt and crew would eat him for breakfast if he plays for the Titans.

You guys, I'm tellin' ya now: Nothing to worry about here. If we lose our Center, Kubiak will grab a guy like Konz or someone else and roll with the punches. He's got that whole Texans team confident in themselves. Next Man Up.

I DARE any of our guys to go to the Titans. DO IT. They'll regret it twice a year.

Brisco_County
03-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Not scared of it.

All he does is stick his hands out and shuffle back and forth while backpedaling. JJ Watt and crew would eat him for breakfast if he plays for the Titans.

You guys, I'm tellin' ya now: Nothing to worry about here. If we lose our Center, Kubiak will grab a guy like Konz or someone else and roll with the punches. He's got that whole Texans team confident in themselves. Next Man Up.

I DARE any of our guys to go to the Titans. DO IT. They'll regret it twice a year.

Very true. This draft has what we need.

Also, it's not like the line was built around Myers. It sucks losing him now, but we had to suffer through his bad seasons too.

GP
03-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Very true. This draft has what we need.

Also, it's not like the line was built around Myers. It sucks losing him now, but we had to suffer through his bad seasons too.

It's possible that a little-known UDFA named Arian Foster is what the doctor orders when his patient is under the weather.

We wrapped him up for a reason: He makes the o-line BETTER. I know that sounds brash, but damn if I don't think 100% that it's true. You get a guy like Konz, even if we have to trade up IF he's THAT good, and Foster will make Konz look like King Kong out there. King Konz, that is.

I'm to the point where if a guy wants more money and can't scale back a bit to help us...then that's fine. It's a business. But go on and get gone, and remember you played for the team that will win it all in 2012.

Next. Man. Up. The legacy lives on.

EDIT: For all we know, the Texans think they can upgrade Center. Yeah, we're talking to him about a contract...so is another team...but that doesn't mean we're going to dump four truckloads of cash up to his house just to retain him. I think Bob and his crew are holding a line, a financial line in the sand, and they're sticking to it. They have their allotment and they have told guys what they can do, take it or leave it.

I used to think maybe they would cut more players if they needed to. I think they're done. I think they've stored up what cash and space they need...now they are waiting to hear from agents. If a guy leaves, they take that guy's money and they approach some other UFA to there or draft him or grab him as an UDFA after the draft. Masters of their own destiny, so to speak.

SAMURAITEXAN
03-13-2012, 07:37 PM
It's possible that a little-known UDFA named Arian Foster is what the doctor orders when his patient is under the weather.

We wrapped him up for a reason: He makes the o-line BETTER. I know that sounds brash, but damn if I don't think 100% that it's true. You get a guy like Konz, even if we have to trade up IF he's THAT good, and Foster will make Konz look like King Kong out there. King Konz, that is.

I'm to the point where if a guy wants more money and can't scale back a bit to help us...then that's fine. It's a business. But go on and get gone, and remember you played for the team that will win it all in 2012.

EDIT: For all we know, the Texans think they can upgrade Center. Yeah, we're talking to him about a contract...so is another team...but that doesn't mean we're going to dump four truckloads of cash up to his house just to retain him. I think Bob and his crew are holding a line, a financial line in the sand, and they're sticking to it. They have their allotment and they have told guys what they can do, take it or leave it.

I used to think maybe they would cut more players if they needed to. I think they're done. I think they've stored up what cash and space they need...now they are waiting to hear from agents. If a guy leaves, they take that guy's money and they approach some other UFA to there or draft him or grab him as an UDFA after the draft. Masters of their own destiny, so to speak.
I can understand Texans' allotment and sticking their financial plan. I just hope that we will be able to sign at least Brisiel. We maybe able to put Brisiel to RG/C and Caldwell to RG/C Butler to RT and Wade Smith LG, Duane Brown LT. And, draft some Oline talent/s from draft, UDFA, and or reasonable priced FA.

I just hope our FO plan works(if it is a plan).

Go Texans!!!

Pantherstang84
03-13-2012, 07:48 PM

This is where I'm at too. Don't let the door hit ya and all that jazz. We were a couple of freak injuries away last year. If guys don't want to stick around and finish the job, then happy trails.

Texan_Bill
03-13-2012, 07:52 PM

Very nicely played.

Well played by both of you gentlemen!! :D

TEXANS84
03-13-2012, 08:19 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/973602/myersragdoll-o.gif

Big progression, hope he is worth it.

El Tejano
03-13-2012, 08:33 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/973602/myersragdoll-o.gif

Big progression, hope he is worth it.

That was two years ago. Dude made some improvements over those two years. I thought if we don't get Mario signed we should try and get Myers and Brisel signed.

TimeKiller
03-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Sounds like the Texans gave Myers, Rosenhaus and their contract aspirations a big helping of, "Let us know how that goes for you."

8 years is right out. 3, 4 tops. 8 mil a year? Keep dreaming dude. Don't forget what got you there.

infantrycak
03-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Well played by both of you gentlemen!! :D

Well you have to be a gentleman if you want to get into certain establishments. Or so I hear.

Cjeremy635
03-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Well you have to be a gentleman if you want to get into certain establishments. Or so I hear.

Those butt naked clubs he frequents don't have the same high standards....lol.

Seņor Stan
03-14-2012, 08:39 AM

I order the club sandwich all the time, but I'm not even a member, man. I don't know how I get away with it. [/hedberg]

HJam72
03-14-2012, 08:51 AM
His agent is Drew Rosenhaus .. did you expect anything less from that guy? This is the man who said the "NFL would crumble without him"

Yeah, because we all know that all these football players could go make more money doing something else. :sarcasm:

C Madd
03-14-2012, 11:10 AM
I order the club sandwich all the time, but I'm not even a member, man. I don't know how I get away with it. [/hedberg]

How do you feel about frilly toothpicks?

JamesBill
03-14-2012, 11:20 AM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii219/losloseeboy/jetex.gif

Brisco_County
03-14-2012, 11:56 AM
It's conspicuous that there are no reports of teams talking to Myers, other than the Titans. Not even Green Bay. Maybe there's a chance he won't be lured away.

Seņor Stan
03-14-2012, 12:24 PM
How do you feel about frilly toothpicks?

I'm for 'em!!!

Do you like you sandwiches with alfalfa sprouts?

Dutchrudder
03-14-2012, 12:27 PM
It's conspicuous that there are no reports of teams talking to Myers, other than the Titans. Not even Green Bay. Maybe there's a chance he won't be lured away.

I'm still expecting him to stay with the Texans. I don't see how he would be valuable around the league to more than a few teams. I think the major competitor with us is the Denver Broncos, who are holding off until Peyton decides where to go. We shall see, but I think they can re-sign Myers to good money and structure it so he doesn't do much to the cap this year.

TexanSam
03-14-2012, 12:28 PM
That was two years ago. Dude made some improvements over those two years. I thought if we don't get Mario signed we should try and get Myers and Brisel signed.

I hope Caldwell can make the same improvements that Myers did

HOU-TEX
03-14-2012, 01:44 PM
*sigh* Myers is going to visit titans tomorrow per twitter

BIG TORO
03-14-2012, 01:50 PM

So the Titans will end up with Manning, Mario, and Myers!? That would be Intresting.

drunkcookie
03-14-2012, 01:52 PM

Grrr saw that myself...

Dammit Chris, go to the Pats, Packers, Jets, Cowboys, wherever, but for the love of God don't even visit Tennessee...

HOU-TEX
03-14-2012, 01:52 PM
So the Titans will end up with Manning, Mario, and Myers!? That would be Intresting.

Mario's still in Buffalo. His fiance flew in to meet him there, so odds are he's going to Buffalo. Titans couldn't do Mario and Manning both. Too much $$$

ckhouston
03-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Mario's still in Buffalo. His fiance flew in to meet him there, so odds are he's going to Buffalo. Titans couldn't do Mario and Manning both. Too much $$$

Really? They were saying at lunch time that Mario flew out last night on the NFL Network. :headhurts:

drunkcookie
03-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Really? They were saying at lunch time that Mario flew out last night on the NFL Network. :headhurts:

He flew out on the NFL Network? That some new badass jumbo plane or something?

Sry, couldn't resist..

HOU-TEX
03-14-2012, 01:59 PM

Nope, he did a physical this morning. His fiance flew in and he's still there

ObsiWan
03-14-2012, 02:06 PM

Watch yerseff
Yer cruisin' for a bruisin'
:kitten:

Section516
03-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Mario Williams joining the Buffalo Bills is looking more and more likely.

His fiancee joined him in Buffalo Wednesday, and he’s not flying her up to show her a place he doesn’t want to play or live.

Paul Peck of WIVB-TV in Buffalo talked to Williams at the airport and initially thought the defensive end was leaving. Peck approached Williams and in a drive-by interview learned that he was merely picking up the future Mrs.

If and when Williams signs with the Bills, the Texans may become more active. They've set aside the money they offered the outside linebacker/defensive end in case he changes course and decides to accept.

Posted in multiple places due to being relevant to multiple threads..
If he doesn't, those dollars will come free and we can expect them to try to retain their free-agent center, Chris Myers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth

fiasco west
03-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Mario Williams joining the Buffalo Bills is looking more and more likely.

His fiancee joined him in Buffalo Wednesday, and he’s not flying her up to show her a place he doesn’t want to play or live.

Paul Peck of WIVB-TV in Buffalo talked to Williams at the airport and initially thought the defensive end was leaving. Peck approached Williams and in a drive-by interview learned that he was merely picking up the future Mrs.

If and when Williams signs with the Bills, the Texans may become more active. They've set aside the money they offered the outside linebacker/defensive end in case he changes course and decides to accept.

Posted in multiple places due to being relevant to multiple threads..
If he doesn't, those dollars will come free and we can expect them to try to retain their free-agent center, Chris Myers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth

F'n sign then, do your old franchise a favorite and I hope he doesn't pull a Nnamdi and leaving everyone hanging on his decision.

Vinny
03-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Mario is gone...we need to go to plan b unless we are in the ballpark since plan b may turn into plan c or d if we wait too long. My thoughts are that we are not in the ballpark though. If we were, he wouldn't need to go to a franchise like Buffalo to entertain their offer...no disrespect to Buffalo of course - they've had great teams in the past.

Pantherstang84
03-14-2012, 05:43 PM
I see Myers still doesn't have his Mangold money yet. Was his agent selling him a load of BS?

Kimmy
03-14-2012, 05:53 PM
I see Myers still doesn't have his Mangold money yet. Was his agent selling him a load of BS?

Drew Rosenhaus would never do such a thing!

Pantherstang84
03-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Drew Rosenhaus would never do such a thing!

I would like to have a hit off of his pipe.

No team that runs a true ZBS would ever pay that kind of money for a lineman even a center. He must go to a ZBS team. He's not big enough to be a straight up blocking center.

Showtime100
03-14-2012, 10:38 PM

:lol: To reciprocate in an honest fashion, well played. :D

GP
03-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Geez, what are they doing to Mario up there? He's going to be there through Thursday!

Are they trying to get him acclimated to the cold weather?

Brainwashing sessions where they stuff him full of hot wings and beer, and roll him over Niagara Falls until he signs a contract?

**** or get off the pot. Am I right? This has become a farce. I think he and his agent are stalling. They're hoping Rick will pick up the phone and say, "OK, OK...we'll match it!" or some such bull****.

I think we're also waiting on Chris "I'm A Rock Star Now!" Myers and whether he gets his fat stack of cash from some other team.

Two guys, IMO, who are needing to make a decision and get it done one way or the other. When does this end? What if Mario decides to see how the pizza tastes in Chicago on Friday? LOL. This is a hoot. It really is.

The Medic01
03-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Geez, what are they doing to Mario up there? He's going to be there through Thursday!

Brainwashing sessions where they stuff him full of hot wings and beer, and roll him over Niagara Falls until he signs a contract?

**** or get off the pot. Am I right? This has become a farce. I think he and his agent are stalling. They're hoping Rick will pick up the phone and say, "OK, OK...we'll match it!" or some such bull****.

I think we're also waiting on Chris "I'm A Rock Star Now!" Myers and whether he gets his fat stack of cash from some other team.

Two guys, IMO, who are needing to make a decision and get it done one way or the other. When does this end? What if Mario decides to see how the pizza tastes in Chicago on Friday? LOL. This is a hoot. It really is.

I agree with you on Mario. Not on Chris. I think we have the money for Chris and Brisiel but as long as Mario is unsigned they will not pay anyone else.

GP
03-14-2012, 10:55 PM
I agree with you on Mario. Not on Chris. I think we have the money for Chris and Brisiel but as long as Mario is unsigned they will not pay anyone else.

IF that's the case, then Bob is the one controlling our end of the situation. IF that's the case, then Bob is being overly sentimental (again) and won't let go when the kid wants to go off to college. He's being a helicopter dad, again, hovering over his kiddies and not letting go.

Because I cannot see the GM and/or the HC or DC being the ones who would hold up all other FA spending juuuuuust for one guy. I have no doubt they're ready to go, and they know who and what they want, and yet they can't budge until Bob and Mario resolve this one way or another.

IF that's the case, then dammit to hell. Period.

In summation: (1) IF, (2) Dammit, (C) To hell. I thank you for your time. God bless.

welsh texan
03-15-2012, 10:23 AM
IF that's the case, then Bob is the one controlling our end of the situation. IF that's the case, then Bob is being overly sentimental (again) and won't let go when the kid wants to go off to college. He's being a helicopter dad, again, hovering over his kiddies and not letting go.

Because I cannot see the GM and/or the HC or DC being the ones who would hold up all other FA spending juuuuuust for one guy. I have no doubt they're ready to go, and they know who and what they want, and yet they can't budge until Bob and Mario resolve this one way or another.

IF that's the case, then dammit to hell. Period.

In summation: (1) IF, (2) Dammit, (C) To hell. I thank you for your time. God bless.
Its the MO of the team, and the NFL as a whole, to wait until the big bucks have been spent before spending the smaller bucks. Its also the MO of the NFL to let the top players at each position in general set the market and work on from there with the lesser players.

Teams don't like to feel like they've been ripped off, like they've handed over more cash than necessary. Neither do players.

My guess is that the Texans' FA board looks something along the lines of Mario, then Myers, then Briesel, then a few FA's from other teams, then whatevers left for camp bodies. Maybe you chuck in the likes of Dreessen, Rackers etc at some point, maybe they have their eye on other options for those positions IDK, but I bet things work themselves out in that order.

Frankly, if Mario signs with the Bills and the Texans sign Myers straight away, I'll immediately feel very relieved because it'll tell me they have plenty of cap space going forward.

Showtime100
03-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Am I the only poster that gets a little nervous when I see a new post in this thread?

I keep thinking the other shoe will drop today about Mario and Myers. :headhurts:

welsh texan
03-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Am I the only poster that gets a little nervous when I see a new post in this thread?

I keep thinking the other shoe will drop today about Mario and Myers. :headhurts:

Don't worry, the moment there is any news you can be sure of 18 seperate threads all saying the same thing to let you know.

badboy
03-15-2012, 10:31 AM

Two guys, IMO, who are needing to make a decision and get it done one way or the other. When does this end? What if Mario decides to see how the pizza tastes in Chicago on Friday? LOL. This is a hoot. It really is.Would be interesting if Smith announced scheduling OLB and center free agent visits' see if that would help.

arb729
03-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Oops, wrong thread.. nothing to see here..

GP
03-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Its the MO of the team, and the NFL as a whole, to wait until the big bucks have been spent before spending the smaller bucks. Its also the MO of the NFL to let the top players at each position in general set the market and work on from there with the lesser players.

Teams don't like to feel like they've been ripped off, like they've handed over more cash than necessary. Neither do players.

My guess is that the Texans' FA board looks something along the lines of Mario, then Myers, then Briesel, then a few FA's from other teams, then whatevers left for camp bodies. Maybe you chuck in the likes of Dreessen, Rackers etc at some point, maybe they have their eye on other options for those positions IDK, but I bet things work themselves out in that order.

Frankly, if Mario signs with the Bills and the Texans sign Myers straight away, I'll immediately feel very relieved because it'll tell me they have plenty of cap space going forward.

I agree in large part. I think it's time Rick announces that he's bringing in Center and OLB free agents for visits. Might as well light the fires and kick the tires at this point. In case we lose Myers or Mario, or both, we need to have been ahead of the curve and trying to cherry pick the best Center and OLB we can get for our free agent dollars. That's MY "MO" in the city of GPville.

Don't worry, the moment there is any news you can be sure of 18 seperate threads all saying the same thing to let you know.

LOL! I literally laughed out loud at that. So true. I mean, it's gonna' happen.

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 11:53 AM

:spit:

Pantherstang84
03-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Now that we have the cap space time to bring Briesel back from Oakland and get Meyer's butt back here. Plug Butler in at RT and go get some quality depth. Just keep rolling on.

97roc
03-15-2012, 03:23 PM
PFT reporting Titans land Steve Hutchinson on three-year deal.

Has Tenn turned away from Myers based on this??

HOU-TEX
03-15-2012, 03:33 PM
PFT reporting Titans land Steve Hutchinson on three-year deal.

Has Tenn turned away from Myers based on this??

Hutch is a guard, no?

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Hutch is a guard, no?

Yes.

I think the Texans should call Wells from Green Bay's Scott Wells since they tampered with Meyers. I know Wells wants to stay in Green Bay but maybe it will make Meyers come to his senses adn we could force Green Bay to pay more for Wells... A little payback if you will.

HOU-TEX
03-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Yes.

I think the Texans should call Wells from Green Bay's Scott Wells since they tampered with Meyers. I know Wells wants to stay in Green Bay but maybe it will make Meyers come to his senses adn we could force Green Bay to pay more for Wells... A little payback if you will.

I've seen a few comments saying we're still in talks with Myers, so who the heck knows what we're doing. Wells wants a lot of jack too, right?

97roc
03-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Hutch is a guard, no?

Yes he is. But I was thinking more toward him taking away the O-line money. Titans ink Hutch but may hold off on any offers to Myers until Peyton and 'the decision' is made.

GP
03-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Now that we have the cap space time to bring Briesel back from Oakland and get Meyer's butt back here. Plug Butler in at RT and go get some quality depth. Just keep rolling on.

Yep. I concur.

Also, I think Peyton will choose the Titans. He isn't going to want to go into Tebow country even if they move Tebow for him. I think he'll see that as some bad mojo, to go to Denver in the middle of that mess. Nobody gives a rat's ass about Hasselbeck in Tennessee...they're ready for Peyton Manning 100% because they'll think he can beat the Texans.

Peyton to the Titans, that's my pick. I had him going to Denver but the late entry of Bud's Titans overtook it. There's a good RB there, CJ, though I don't think he's cerebral enough to handle what Peyton expects of him. They landed Hutchinson, which was probably to woo Peyton even more (or a condition he laid down to Bud). Decent receivers, if Britt stays healthy that is.

I hope he goes to Denver.

welsh texan
03-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Myers took 3 years to learn the system, if some other sucker wants to overpay him then its up to them. I doubt Myers is even in the league right now if he'd signed for any team in win now mode, he'd have been upgraded 3 years ago.

I think he's become fantastic in our system, but he's not irreplaceable and I think he has bust written all over him for anyone else.

The longer this all drags on the more I'm convinced, the Texans would have made these guys (not just Myers) an offer they couldn't refuse if they were that worried about losing them. If we can cut Winston over $5.5m then we sure as hell aren't about to pay Myers AND Mikey B that much between them I don't think.

There's a reason this line was built on the cheap, because its unique in the league in the extremity of the ZBS we use and guys who are perfect for it are of little use elsewhere.

I can imagine us retooling with other teams' trash and a couple of draft picks again and being serviceable now and great again within a couple of years.

TexCanada
03-15-2012, 03:50 PM
If Myers wants huge money then I think we should just go get Brisiel instead. If we have 3/5 of our line returning, with one of the replacements being Bulter (who already knows the system), then I think we should be fine. Just make sure we don't lose both Myers and Brisiel. Both are replaceable parts, but its difficult to replace them at the same time.

Maybe Smithiak just has a lot of confidence in Caldwell and Shelley Smith though.

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 04:18 PM
I get the feeling that the Titans are hosting Chris Myers to drive up his price for us. I don't think they have any intention of signing him for the money he's asking, but want him and his agent to think he's worth much more than he is.

Ole Miss Texan
03-15-2012, 04:24 PM
We'll see what happens but if these guys move on, I hope we can continue to find magic in OL guys.

It's well documented that Myers was just another guy in Denver and we traded a 6th round pick for him.

Brisiel on the otherhand, we got in '06 as an undrafted free agent out of Colorado St. Remember all the jokes about Kubiak picking up Colorado St. guys? Well he didn't play at all until week 14 of his 2nd year with us. Fred Weary goes down with a broken leg and we turn to a 2nd year undrafted right guard to take over.

Half of Kubiak/Smith's job is to alway improve our roster and develop the players. This past season's mantra of Next Man Up embodies the fact that the Texans had players on its roster to step into action and take care of business. It sucks for the OL because that's so huge for Schaub and Foster... but these are the big leagues. It's feast or famine. Let's hope we've got those guys on the roster or can pick them up. Caldwell, Shelley Smith, Butler, etc.

SW H-TOWN
03-15-2012, 05:00 PM
We'll see what happens but if these guys move on, I hope we can continue to find magic in OL guys.

It's well documented that Myers was just another guy in Denver and we traded a 6th round pick for him.

Brisiel on the otherhand, we got in '06 as an undrafted free agent out of Colorado St. Remember all the jokes about Kubiak picking up Colorado St. guys? Well he didn't play at all until week 14 of his 2nd year with us. Fred Weary goes down with a broken leg and we turn to a 2nd year undrafted right guard to take over.

Half of Kubiak/Smith's job is to alway improve our roster and develop the players. This past season's mantra of Next Man Up embodies the fact that the Texans had players on its roster to step into action and take care of business. It sucks for the OL because that's so huge for Schaub and Foster... but these are the big leagues. It's feast or famine. Let's hope we've got those guys on the roster or can pick them up. Caldwell, Shelley Smith, Butler, etc.

What up from CR, I finally joined. I still hope we can resign Myers and Brisiel (at a reasonable price) because o-line continuity is very important. However, I am very interested to see how good Shelly Smith is. Caldwell...not so much.

Ole Miss Texan
03-15-2012, 05:12 PM
What up from CR, I finally joined. I still hope we can resign Myers and Brisiel (at a reasonable price) because o-line continuity is very important. However, I am very interested to see how good Shelly Smith is. Caldwell...not so much.

My man! Welcome aboard

And to the bolded, you're right. Especially on the OL it's crucial.

CloakNNNdagger
03-15-2012, 05:54 PM
This phrase keeps sticking in my head...............

Saying the Texans are "more conversations than negotiations," Pro Bowl C Chris Myers will hit the open market, according to a Tweet from SiriusXM NFL Radio's Adam Schein.

Pantherstang84
03-15-2012, 06:01 PM

Rosenhouse thought Meyers could get Mangold money on the market. I think they are discovering that is not the case.

gary
03-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Just a thought. Any ideas?

Ryan
03-15-2012, 07:02 PM
why?

Lucky
03-15-2012, 07:03 PM
I don't get it? Are you saying Myers wants to play with Peyton Manning?

Myers is a professional athlete and wants to be paid the most $$$ he can get. Just like the overwhelming majority of professional athletes.

silentassassin
03-15-2012, 07:04 PM
doubt it,

Txn_in_Oki
03-15-2012, 07:05 PM
I don't think it matters which QB's hands are pressed against his taint every play, he just wants to get paid.

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 07:08 PM
I seriously doubt it. As we've been taught (all too often), players go where the money is.

Playoffs
03-15-2012, 07:08 PM
I don't think it matters which QB's hands are pressed against his taint every play, he just wants to get paid.Taint is a good word. :clap:

Kimmy
03-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Annnnnd starting another thread instead of replying to this one (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90397)

Honoring Earl 34
03-15-2012, 07:19 PM
I seriously doubt it. As we've been taught (all too often), players go where the money is.

The Texans are being smart in the fact they aren't being The Astros for Scott Boras .

gary
03-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Tennessee wants both of them so, why not pay both?

Thorn
03-15-2012, 07:22 PM
I think I may just start posting "blah blah blah blah" in all the threads until Cak comes over to my apartment and shoots me and my computer. :lol:

Well, at least it's active around here. Wasn't this active after some of the games last season.

gary
03-15-2012, 08:05 PM
I do not think it too crazy to be paid and play with Manning too.

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 08:06 PM
I get the feeling that the Titans are hosting Chris Myers to drive up his price for us. I don't think they have any intention of signing him for the money he's asking, but want him and his agent to think he's worth much more than he is.

Ya know D, that crossed my mind as well... Bud Adams is "Da devil"!!!!

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 08:08 PM
I think I may just start posting "blah blah blah blah" in all the threads until Cak comes over to my apartment and shoots me and my computer. :lol:

Well, at least it's active around here. Wasn't this active after some of the games last season.

I'll do it (for a nominal fee of course) and I'm much closer to your side of town. :chickendance:

CloakNNNdagger
03-15-2012, 08:58 PM

I'll do it (for a nominal fee of course) and I'm much closer to your side of town. :chickendance:

Thorn,

And if TB's aim is a little off because of the lingering effects of some firewater, and he only manages to shoot off a vital part here and there.......I'll be happy to put them back on for you (for a nominal fee, of course). (see fine print below).

Fee dependent on method of re-attachment

Fee schedule:

A) Re-attachment by string and Super Glue..............nominal fee.

B) Re-attachment by suturing..................not so nominal fee.:yikes:

b0ng
03-15-2012, 10:02 PM
I have a feeling that either Myers or Briesel will leave and Antoine Caldwell will be a starter. Not feeling too good about that one :/

Brisco_County
03-15-2012, 10:34 PM

Same here. To me, it means Smith knows who Myers' agent is, and he's not going to show any cards.

welsh texan
03-16-2012, 05:10 AM
I hope the FO aren't as desperate to resign Myers as some folk on here. The guy would be a big loss but if he wants to play hardball then I want the FO to stick to their guns, offer what he's worth to our team, and have the confidence to go out and draft a great centre and let him compete with our backups in camp.

GP
03-16-2012, 08:29 AM
I hope the FO aren't as desperate to resign Myers as some folk on here. The guy would be a big loss but if he wants to play hardball then I want the FO to stick to their guns, offer what he's worth to our team, and have the confidence to go out and draft a great centre and let him compete with our backups in camp.

Count me as being cautiously hopeful for re-signing Myers.

If he wants a pay raise, I can understand. If he wants too much, no thanks. It has to be reasonable for us. The numbers have to allow us to grab other guys, not tie up most of our money in just Myers.

If it cannot happen, then draft a center or find a UFA out there (AND draft a center. LOL). Whatever it takes to get our Center situation respectable. I think thats what has emboldened Myers an this agent--They think they've got us up against the wall, negotiating from a position of strength. Maybe that's true to some degree, but I don't think he'll get the big dollars he's dreaming of with some there team.

His downfall is his size. He can't be a Center unless it's a highly "mobile" ZBS because he'd get squished if he was in another scheme. Period. So, in essence...he doesn't have ALL the cards in this game.

I really cannot believe it's taking this long for him to get a contract. Fourth day into free agency. If a team wanted him THAT badly, they'd have wrapped it up or would announce a contract is being drafted. That's my thinking. Unless the Peyton Manning Sweepstakes is holding it back, which is a possibility.

ObsiWan
03-16-2012, 11:18 AM

Thorn,

And if TB's aim is a little off because of the lingering effects of some firewater, and he only manages to shoot off a vital part here and there.......I'll be happy to put them back on for you (for a nominal fee, of course). (see fine print below).

Fee schedule:

Since when do you guys get to post free ads?? This ain't no electronic Greensheet.
:bat:

SCOTTexans
03-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Knowing the the titans have resigned thier C Fernando Velasco, even though he hasn't started might be a good sign that they want him to for next yr

builds my hopes up a little for re-signing myers

False Start
03-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Ya know D, that crossed my mind as well... Bud Adams is "Da devil"!!!!

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/buddevil.jpg

Texan_Bill
03-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Thorn,

Fee schedule:

Since when do you guys get to post free ads?? This ain't no electronic Greensheet.
:bat:

:lol:

srrono
03-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Rams agree to terms with C Scott Wells

Look for GB to come after Myers now

or could be a good thing because it kind of sets the market for zone blocking C

TheMatrix31
03-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Schefty says we reached an agreement with Myers!

Woo!

G27RR
03-16-2012, 07:47 PM
schefty says we reached an agreement with myers!

Woo!

x2.

ckhouston
03-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Schefty says we reached an agreement with Myers!

Woo!

Best move by Rick so far. Center is a very important position. O-line is critical in this scheme period. They must think they can upgrade from Winston so lets see what happens now. We have the anchor ... Brown and Myers. Nice job Rick.