PDA

View Full Version : People are setting themselves up for heartbreak

Brandon420tx
03-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Everyone is saying we're freeing up space to make a "big" signing in FA.

I actually don't think so. The only "big" unexpected cut so far was Winston, and that has been justified by his play per salary in some peoples mind.

Lienhart was expected
Vickers wasn't expected, but its not a real big issue and he can't have been too much of a cap hit anyway.
Jacoby is expected but its still only rumor right now
Demeco is only a rumor right now.

It's probably going to be a less exciting ending then what you fella's are hyping yourselves up for

TheMatrix31
03-13-2012, 11:55 AM
I don't think anyone is expecting a big FA.

Ryan
03-13-2012, 11:55 AM
It's the offseason, we need to get excited about SOMETHING.

Thorn
03-13-2012, 11:56 AM
The only thing I'm truly worried about is what or O line will look like when all this is over.

Cjeremy635
03-13-2012, 11:57 AM
The only thing I'm truly worried about is what or O line will look like when all this is over.

This......:toropalm:

Brandon420tx

That's what's on my mind too. The Peyton Manning and/or Super FA WR thing is so far off in the distance

jaayteetx

^^^^^^^^this

TheMatrix31
03-13-2012, 11:58 AM

That is the ONLY thing to care about.

b0ng
03-13-2012, 12:01 PM
The only big move that I could think that they are going to make with all these cuts is trying to re-sign Mario.

Brisco_County
03-13-2012, 12:04 PM
At this point, they may just be trying to hang on to Myers.

Kthx
03-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Hope so, thats probably the most important resigning we need at this point.

b0ng
03-13-2012, 12:09 PM
At this point, they may just be trying to hang on to Myers.

LanceZ has tweeted that the Texans and Myers have not even talked about a contract yet.

michaelm
03-13-2012, 12:09 PM
The only big move that I could think that they are going to make with all these cuts is trying to re-sign Mario.

IMO, Mario can F off into the sunset as long as the $$$ is used to re-sign Myers and Brisiel (sp?).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have mario, but like many of us, I don;t want him at the expense of losing our interior OL.

Kimmy
03-13-2012, 12:11 PM
UFA as of today:

Brisiel (sign him!)
Dreessen (cut)
Meyers (SIGN!!)
Rackers (sign)
Turk (cut)
Ward (cut)
Williams (hopefully sign)

I don't see how we have money to sign all four

TheMatrix31
03-13-2012, 12:13 PM
I'd rather have Dreesen than Rackers.

b0ng
03-13-2012, 12:14 PM
IMO, Mario can F off into the sunset as long as the $$$ is used to re-sign Myers and Brisiel (sp?).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have mario, but like many of us, I don;t want him at the expense of losing our interior OL.

Check out how much Denver turned over their Oline during their heydays in the 90's.

TheCD
03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
I don't have a link, but I remember reading on PFT a couple of weeks back something to the effect of Myers wanting to stay in Houston, but also wanting to test free agency first. Seems to me like at a bare minimum he wants to see what he can get and tell the Texans to offer it, or that he just wants out.

Either way I have been expecting him to step away without a contract and come back to the Texans and say "this is what I can get, match/exceed it or I'm not coming back."

redwhiteblue
03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Hoping the texans are saving up for a run at mike wallace

dalemurphy
03-13-2012, 12:28 PM

He would be financially expensive and we would also lose our 1st round pick. Are you okay with that?

03-13-2012, 12:33 PM
i'm hoping we go for meachem.

b0ng
03-13-2012, 12:34 PM
i'm hoping we go for meachem.

Will get overpaid by somebody. None of the FA WR's this year are terribly exciting outside of Wallace and he carries the additional burden of giving up a 1st rounder. Meh.

arb729
03-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Will get overpaid by somebody. None of the FA WR's this year are terribly exciting outside of Wallace and he carries the additional burden of giving up a 1st rounder. Meh.

The first rounder doesn't bother me as much, as I'd like to see them target a WR in the first round. The financials, however, are concerning.

Texan_Bill
03-13-2012, 01:56 PM
It's the offseason, we need to get excited about SOMETHING.

There's always the Rockets and Astros.... :gun: nevermind.

HOU-TEX
03-13-2012, 01:57 PM
There's always the Rockets and Astros.... :gun: nevermind.

I heard the Underwater Basket Weaving Championships are coming up soon too

Texan_Bill
03-13-2012, 02:00 PM
I heard the Underwater Basket Weaving Championships are coming up soon too

Really?? Find out what channel and let me know please! *stoked*

HOU-TEX
03-13-2012, 02:04 PM
really?? Find out what channel and let me know please! *stoked*

espn14

Kthx
03-13-2012, 02:06 PM
espn14

oh you mean the Catorce? I love that channel.

majestrate
03-13-2012, 02:07 PM
This. But then, I was a fan of Kris Brown, so what do I know

Texan_Bill
03-13-2012, 02:07 PM
espn14

Sweet. I can just hit the channel up one to espn15 so I can catch some Curling matches. Thanks Bro!!

HOU-TEX
03-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Sweet. I can just hit the channel up one to espn15 so I can catch some Curling matches. Thanks Bro!!

No kidding?! Is it women? And are they nekkid?

WolverineFan
03-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Going after FA WR's is just foolish. Anyone who's good enough to be a #2 is going to get paid like a #1 in order for said team to sign him. Stay out of the market on skill players unless you need top dogs (Joeseph). Build through the draft.

ckhouston
03-13-2012, 03:13 PM

Didn't realize Dreesen could place kick. :choke:

TheMatrix31
03-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Didn't realize Dreesen could place kick. :choke:

No but a 7th rounder can. Dreesen is very important to what we do.

Tonaaayyyy
03-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Are the texans just bringing in cheaper players to cut block?

TheCD
03-13-2012, 03:17 PM
espn14

I don't mean to be "that guy", but you are way off here...

It's defenitely on ESPN: The Ocho, right after the Dodgeball Championships.

Norg
03-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Man we will be so big in F/A we be getting scrubs like

Dressen

we will keep Myers

and who else LOL o yeah Brisles

ckhouston
03-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Dreesen is very important to what we do.

Not if he wants #1 TE money, and some team will offer him that. Graham can fill in his spot.

TheMatrix31
03-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Nobody's gonna offer Joel Dreesen #1 TE money, lol.

ckhouston
03-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Nobody's gonna offer Joel Dreesen #1 TE money, lol.

I think he will get offered more than what we are paying Daniels. But that is just my guess. We will see.

jaayteetx
03-13-2012, 03:25 PM
I think he will get offered more than what we are paying Daniels. But that is just my guess. We will see.

What u smoking?

ckhouston
03-13-2012, 03:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt2Y78VgfNQ

Based on thread title.

Ole Miss Texan
03-13-2012, 03:37 PM
What u smoking?

LOL, no way Dreessen gets $5.5M per year. He'll be lucky to get half of that. I can't see him making more than $9-10M over 4 years.

infantrycak
03-13-2012, 04:12 PM

Seriously, who is your ganja supplier?

ESAD2-14
03-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Seriously, who is your ganja supplier?

http://cbshouston.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/john-mcclain.jpg?w=300

HOU-TEX
03-13-2012, 04:17 PM

He said ganja. Not Quarter Pounders

infantrycak
03-13-2012, 04:21 PM

Well I guess one leads to the other, or Taco Bell.

Ole Miss Texan
03-13-2012, 04:22 PM

Thought for a moment the thread title was "People are setting themselves up for a heartattack". doh

GuerillaBlack
03-13-2012, 04:24 PM

Reps all around!

ckhouston
03-13-2012, 04:25 PM

Back when I was a kid in the early 80's they told me smoking pot would lead to harder drugs ... led me straight to Jack-In-The-Box. :headbang:

infantrycak
03-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Back when I was a kid in the early 80's they told me smoking pot would lead to harder drugs ... led me straight to Jack-In-The-Box. :headbang:

Man those have to be the worst tacos on the planet. Fine if you are hitting something else but geez those things suck.

Texan_Bill
03-13-2012, 04:33 PM
This does not bode well.

Lance Zierlein ‏ @LanceZierlein
One cap man said "Texans cap situation is a mess". I knew they had issues but didn't think it was THIS bad.

TheMatrix31
03-13-2012, 04:36 PM
I cant fathom how the cap situation could be this "bad". Pretty insane to me, considering how young the team is. Pretty ridiculous.

Errant Hothy
03-13-2012, 04:38 PM
This does not bode well.

Indeed it does not.

Man I hope the Texans are not in cap hell, becasue of they are next year's FA period ain't going to be any fun either.

Kimmy
03-13-2012, 04:39 PM
How much (if any) do we have in dead money? I remember a few years we were screwed due to money that was still being paid to players no longer on the team

Doppelganger
03-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Man those have to be the worst tacos on the planet. Fine if you are hitting something else but geez those things suck.

If you live anywhere that they serve good tacos and you choose to eat tacos from Jack in the Box, you should be publicly shamed.

badboy
03-13-2012, 04:45 PM
How much (if any) do we have in dead money? I remember a few years we were screwed due to money that was still being paid to players no longer on the team

Last I saw prior to off season and any cuts, less than one million dollars. Chris Olsen was getting compliments for his contractual input and while most said Texans were right up against the cap beginning 2011, we were able to find money to sign Manning and Joseph. I don't see how the cap was screwed up this last season. Something smells....

steelbtexan
03-13-2012, 04:49 PM
I don't think anyone is expecting a big FA.

Wrong

MW is going to get the biggest DL FA contract in NFL history

Peyton isn't going to sign cheap. Bud already said that he will give Peyton a blank check.

TheMatrix31
03-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Wrong

MW is going to get the biggest DL FA contract in NFL history

Peyton isn't going to sign cheap. Bud already said that he will give Peyton a blank check.

And we're not signing either. And I don't think anyone expects us to sign either.

So what heartbreak are people "Setting themselves up for"?

The only heartbreak being set up is the one of us losing 3 of our top 5 OL.

Dutchrudder
03-13-2012, 04:51 PM
I cant fathom how the cap situation could be this "bad". Pretty insane to me, considering how young the team is. Pretty ridiculous.

I don't understand it either. The sad thing is that if the cap had increased ~5% like it normally does, Winston or others would probably still be on the team. Seems like Rick screwed up last offseason and overspent by a lot.

Ole Miss Texan
03-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Last I saw prior to off season and any cuts, less than one million dollars. Chris Olsen was getting compliments for his contractual input and while most said Texans were right up against the cap beginning 2011, we were able to find money to sign Manning and Joseph. I don't see how the cap was screwed up this last season. Something smells....
My thinking as well. This smells of strange.

Can we restructure Johnathan Joseph's deal or is it too soon since he signed last year?

Edit: Now that I look at it, would help this year but would probably put us in hell during 2013 and beyond. That's the trouble with restructuring contracts.

Ole Miss Texan
03-13-2012, 04:56 PM
I don't understand it either. The sad thing is that if the cap had increased ~5% like it normally does, Winston or others would probably still be on the team. Seems like Rick screwed up last offseason and overspent by a lot.

I would never blame Rick for "overspending" last offseason. Johnathan Joseph and Daniel Manning were huge additions to this team. Doubtful we make the playoffs had we not picked them up.

Mr. Texan
03-13-2012, 05:01 PM
is there a texans fund i could donate $20 to the cap. i'd support that more than kony2012 :kitten:

:bunpan:

Double Barrel
03-13-2012, 05:01 PM
I would never blame Rick for "overspending" last offseason. Johnathan Joseph and Daniel Manning were huge additions to this team. Doubtful we make the playoffs had we not picked them up.

While certainly a valid point about the impact of Joseph and Manning, a big part of a GM's job is to look further into the future than just the upcoming season.

The1ApplePie
03-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Texans biggest needs (IMO)

1. No. 2 WR
2. Legit backup/starting QB (when Mattie goes down)
3. OLB
4. No. 3 WR

Hope they don't have to add a whole offensive line to that.

Dutchrudder
03-13-2012, 05:12 PM

We probably would have been ok without Manning, but I'm glad we got him. In any case, looking at 2010 cap hit numbers, it seems the Texans left about 20 million on the table that they could have used without penalty. It's a shame they didn't give AJ and Demeco huge roster bonuses to reduce their future cap hits. AJ's contract is ballooning over the next few years, and these restuctures are going to make it harder to deal with him in 2 years.

GP
03-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Is it possible that Winston re-signs with us at a lower amount? I haven't seen that discussed yet.

b0ng
03-13-2012, 06:19 PM

I use them as alcohol sponges in my anti-hangover regiment.

Pantherstang84
03-13-2012, 06:22 PM
I use them as alcohol sponges in my anti-hangover regiment.

They are great for that.

Naiirb
03-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Is it possible that Winston re-signs with us at a lower amount? I haven't seen that discussed yet.

Unless he doesn't care about money at this point of career hard to see him coming back. The OT market is pretty thin and Winston is one of the best available. I heard him say on 610 about 10 teams have called and inquired already.

Looks like he's about to receive a pretty significant raise compared to the contract he had here.

TexCanada
03-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Unless he doesn't care about money at this point of career hard to see him coming back. The OT market is pretty thin and Winston is one of the best available. I heard him say on 610 about 10 teams have called and inquired already.

Looks like he's about to receive a pretty significant raise compared to the contract he had here.

Something doesn't make sense. If there is this much interest and teams are willing to pay more then what we were paying him then how were we not able to trade him?

jaayteetx
03-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Something doesn't make sense. If there is this much interest and teams are willing to pay more then what we were paying him then how were we not able to trade him?

This isn't baseball, there is a cap and teams know when your up against it. No leverage.

GP
03-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Colston, Garcon, and Marshall are the only big-name guys who have struck deals with a team this far. There's been a trickle of others, but not much.

Nobody needs to freak out yet. All these GMs and all these agents are contacting one another and seeking out what each player wants from each team...then the teams have to decide they want to pull the trigger on the player. It takes time. It doesn't happen in 4 hours.

There's no telling what our roster looks like when the dust settles. Any number of things can happen, so just relax and watch the updates as they occur. This isn't the draft where each team has a pick and two minutes later another team gets to pick. 32 teams, dozens upon dozens of agents, and they're all making the circuit trying to sort out potential deals. It's a HUGE process.

Not even Peyton Manning is dumb enough to make a commitment until he sees how this massive FA market pans out for each team. He'd be an eediot to sign with a team right now...he has to see what each team does and if they get stronger or weaker in the next few days. And he's just one example...think about Mario Williams--He's also trying to land the best money at the best destination for him to get a ring, as well.

The Third Man
03-13-2012, 06:54 PM
We also confirmed that Pat Kirwan is full of crap.

TexCanada
03-13-2012, 06:58 PM
This isn't baseball, there is a cap and teams know when your up against it. No leverage.

Right, but the leverage is gained back if multiple teams are after that player. You don't think one of the interested teams would offer a 5th round pick knowing that there are other teams after him? Maybe there just isn't as much interest in the player as is being rumored.

Texan_Bill
03-13-2012, 07:02 PM

But man, no where on the face of this earth can you get a taco served with a slice of cheese rather than shredded cheese. That's AWESOMENESS!!! (in a sick sorta way).

Naiirb
03-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Right, but the leverage is gained back if multiple teams are after that player. You don't think one of the interested teams would offer a 5th round pick knowing that there are other teams after him? Maybe there just isn't as much interest in the player as is being rumored.

Releasing Winston was a pure cap saving move. If we would of traded him it would have accelerated his bonuses and thus limiting the amount we could have saved according to Lance Zierlein.

Also ProFootballTalk is reporting Winston has visits with the Dolphins, Chiefs, and Rams so far.

infantrycak
03-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Releasing Winston was a pure cap saving move. If we would of traded him it would have accelerated his bonuses and thus limiting the amount we could have saved according to Lance Zierlein.

Also ProFootballTalk is reporting Winston has visits with the Dolphins, Chiefs, and Rams so far.

For the love of anything holy, LZ's father may be a former coach but it doesn't mean LZ knows schlong about the cap and he is misreporting this. The same amount of money has to be accounted for whether it be trade or cut. If it is trade then it all goes on this year's cap. If it is cut AND the Texans declare him as one of their two optional June 1st cuts then they can divide the SAME cap hit over this season and next season.

Holy flying squirrel why can't our local professional sports media learn the freaking basics of the sports they are supposed to be covering?

G27RR
03-13-2012, 07:13 PM

His unamortized signing bonus is accelerated by cutting him under the new CBA. His cap hit was reportedly going to be $5.5M. The bonus we will still have to count against the cap should be $2.4M, so it saves roughly $3M, not counting any deductions for remaining guaranteed money, if there is any. He had $10M guaranteed, but we probably already paid most if not all of that.

Ole Miss Texan
03-13-2012, 07:24 PM
While certainly a valid point about the impact of Joseph and Manning, a big part of a GM's job is to look further into the future than just the upcoming season.
No doubt about that. I hope the reports are untrue about our cap mess bc this year we won't do anything and get ready for next offseason. :(
We probably would have been ok without Manning, but I'm glad we got him. In any case, looking at 2010 cap hit numbers, it seems the Texans left about 20 million on the table that they could have used without penalty. It's a shame they didn't give AJ and Demeco huge roster bonuses to reduce their future cap hits. AJ's contract is ballooning over the next few years, and these restuctures are going to make it harder to deal with him in 2 years.
True. Would have been best if they did something then. And not got caught like Dallas or Washington!!

I just pray to little baby Jesus were not cap f'd lol

Naiirb
03-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Ok i think I'm gonna stop posting Zierleins calculations lol. He was off on DeMeco contract savings he if were to be cut too.

drs23
03-13-2012, 07:52 PM
No doubt about that. I hope the reports are untrue about our cap mess bc this year we won't do anything and get ready for next offseason. :(

True. Would have been best if they did something then. And not got caught like Dallas or Washington!!

I just pray to little baby Jesus were not cap f'd lol

Sounds like ya might have tossed that one up a little late OMT. :)

Texan_Bill
03-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Sounds like ya might have tossed that one up a little late OMT. :)

Hey bro, can we make another run to New Orleans? Not necessarily to see a Texans game, but more importantly to get hammered? Just sayin'... Or more appropriately, just askin'!!!

I'm feeling that with the way this offseason is going, we need to get our swerv on!!!

Texan_Bill
03-13-2012, 07:59 PM
*EDIT*

PS. I don't mean a positive swerv.

drs23
03-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Hey bro, can we make another run to New Orleans? Not necessarily to see a Texans game, but more importantly to get hammered? Just sayin'... Or more appropriately, just askin'!!!

I'm feeling that with the way this offseason is going, we need to get our swerv on!!!

Hell yeah, I'm in!

El Tejano
03-13-2012, 08:22 PM
I was talking with some friends and we got to thinking that perhaps the Texans are not focusing on Peyton so much as focusing on Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark or Jeff Saturday. IF Peyton is going to a division rival, it would be wise to make sure we don't enhance that signing by letting them sign the others as well. No need moving the Colts from one team to the other in the division. Break them up for good.

GP
03-13-2012, 08:27 PM
The top WRs are slowly finding new homes.

Vincent Jackson signs 5-year deal with Tampa Bay, per NFLN at about 8:20 pm CT.

Marshall, Garcon, Colston, and now Jackson off the table.

Reggie Wayne and Robert Meachem still out there.

ATRAIN
03-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Hell yeah, I'm in!

I Wanna gooooo :)

GP
03-13-2012, 08:28 PM
And per NFLN, Mario Williams is having dinner with Bills team officials tonight.

Schmoozing it up. Dude is so gone....I mean, he's gotta' be convinced he's about to get mega cash if he's eating crappy food up there in Buffalo tonight.

Txn_in_Oki
03-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Hey Texans fans! We got your favorite thing, dissapointment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySGMnmiqlss&feature=related

drs23
03-13-2012, 09:59 PM
And per NFLN, Mario Williams is having dinner with Bills team officials tonight.

Schmoozing it up. Dude is so gone....I mean, he's gotta' be convinced he's about to get mega cash if he's eating crappy food up there in Buffalo tonight.

Hey! They could be having Wild Wings with spicy garlic sauce. I want some. NOW! :D

michaelm
03-13-2012, 10:33 PM
I was talking with some friends and we got to thinking that perhaps the Texans are not focusing on Peyton so much as focusing on Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark or Jeff Saturday. IF Peyton is going to a division rival, it would be wise to make sure we don't enhance that signing by letting them sign the others as well. No need moving the Colts from one team to the other in the division. Break them up for good.

I think that's a huge reach, personally. Especially since Wayne has reportedly agreed to terms to return to the Colts.

iLoveTexans
03-13-2012, 10:49 PM

He's not leaving Pittsburgh. :(

HJam72
03-14-2012, 09:07 AM
We're going to sign Peyton, give him a turnstile for an O-line, sit back, and watch him get creamed like we always wanted to see. :)