PDA

View Full Version : Eric Winston released?????

Pages : [1] 2

ThaShark316
03-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Eric Winston ‏ @ericwinston

Unfortunately I have bad news. The Texans have decided to release me today. Although it is a surprise, I have nothing but positive memories

Naiirb
03-12-2012, 05:46 PM
via his twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/ericwinston

"Unfortunately I have bad news. The Texans have decided to release me today. Although it is a surprise, I have nothing but positive memories"

"And great relationships that I have built over the years. While my future seems uncertain, I am confident I will land on my feet."

"Let me say thank you to Mr. McNair and the whole Texan organization. They have had big role in the player and person I have become."

"And last but not least to my fans and teammates. You guys are the absolute best! I will miss all of you more than you know."

Wow i am absolutely shocked

ThaShark316
03-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Family, Rick Smith ain't playing!

http://i43.tinypic.com/r1c31g.jpg

The Cush
03-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Its on PFT now...

Wow this is shocking, we could potentially have the center up to the right tackle with 3 new starters next year

Texn4life
03-12-2012, 05:56 PM
As much as I like Winston and what he's meant to the franchise I think we can improve at the position. And if it's a little cheaper to do it then he has to go. Guys in the league understand that at the end of the day its a business. Or at least that's what it should be.

The Dude Abides
03-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Linkage:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/12/texans-cut-eric-winston/#respond

Eric Winston is on the way out in Houston.

Winston, an offensive tackle who has started all 16 games for five straight seasons, wrote on Twitter on Monday evening that the Texans informed him they’re letting him go.

We noted a week ago that Winston’s $5.5 million base salary made him a candidate to be asked to take a pay cut or restructure his contract, but the Texans’ decision to release him today still comes as a surprise. It was also clearly a surprise to Winston.

“Unfortunately I have bad news,” Winston wrote. “The Texans have decided to release me today. Although it is a surprise, I have nothing but positive memories and great relationships that I have built over the years. While my future seems uncertain, I am confident I will land on my feet. Let me say thank you to Mr. McNair and the whole Texan organization. They have had big role in the player and person I have become. And last but not least to my fans and teammates. You guys are the absolute best! I will miss all of you more than you know.”

Now Winston becomes an unrestricted free agent, joining Levi Brown as the second starting offensive tackle to join the free agent market today.

ATXtexanfan
03-12-2012, 05:59 PM
didn't see that coming

rmartin65
03-12-2012, 06:00 PM
No way... the dude was overrated by many, but he was a solid, solid starter for this team at RT.

drunkcookie
03-12-2012, 06:00 PM
the center up to the right tackle with 3 new starters next year

Could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure that one of the reasons we'll be replacing our RT is to sure up the center, guard position...

Dutchrudder
03-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Wow... We better hang on to Myers AND Brisiel now! Holy crap...

DonnyMost
03-12-2012, 06:02 PM
That freaking blows.

Due 5.5 million the next 2 years, guess it was too much.

ObsiWan
03-12-2012, 06:04 PM
didn't see that coming

My thought exactly!!

So much for my hopes for keeping the O-line totally intact

:pop:

Allstar
Hmmm...

DX-TEX
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/MechDX/manningtexan.jpg

:gamer::nolisten::thinking:

Dutchrudder
03-12-2012, 06:05 PM

Yeah, that's a great pitch for Manning. Come here Peyton! We promise to replace our Center, RG and RT this offseason with great guys to protect your neck!!!

srrono
03-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Wow... We better hang on to Myers AND Brisiel now! Holy crap...
Otherwise our playoff life was short lived. AH NO WE SUCK AGAIN!

ThaShark316
03-12-2012, 06:06 PM

I lol'd. LOUD. Hahahaha awesome stuff.

DonnyMost
If Mike and Chris aren't resigned tomorrow afternoon this is going to be a royal failboat.

Brandon420tx
Holy Crapzola
Way out of left field. We don't even have someone who can take his place, and Bah just used his 2nd round pick on Brandon Thompson

Texn4life
03-12-2012, 06:07 PM
John McClain just tweeted that he's shocked about Winston...... What!?!? Did his oh so reliable sources fail him? But he knows EVERYTHING about the operations of the Texans right?

Naiirb
03-12-2012, 06:07 PM
If the Texans don't resign Myers and Brisiel before tommorows start of free agency we will only have 2/5 offensive line under contract. This had to be a move to resign at least Myers. With the way our run game has been the last 2 seasons this is just shocking move to break up the offensive line unit

Heath Shuler
03-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Wow. Just wow

DonnyMost
Who steps in?

Derek Newton?

False Start
Wow! Very unexpected news.

I wonder if this means something may be brewin over at Reliant, besides resigning our own FA?

Thanks for the memories caveman:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/cave5.jpg

:texflag:

chenjy9
Wow... color me confused. Why did our FO not even make an attempt to ask Winston to take a pay cut or restructure his contract? He is a top RT in this league and integral towards our O-line. This better mean we re-sign Myers and Breisel. The only part of this move that makes sense to me is that they are trying to make space for Mario this year or more people next year.

Pantherstang84
They must have an upgrade in the works. At least I won't have to hear him say he Looooves Wing Stop anymore.

Brandon420tx
If Mike and Chris aren't resigned tomorrow afternoon this is going to be a royal failboat.

Agreed, the strenght of our OLine was its chemisty between our starting players, not really their individual talent. Not a good time to shake things up when they were performing so well

False Start

I lol'd. LOUD. Hahahaha awesome stuff.

:cool: ;)

ObsiWan
Does he have to clear waivers before they can offer him a new contract?? CAN they offer him a new contract?
:thinking:

GP
03-12-2012, 06:10 PM
What. The. ? ? ?

Wow. Out of nowhere. Hell, forget the Manning Derby...how are we going to keep everything running efficiently on that o-line???

Hubba hubba.

Pantherstang84
03-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Wow... color me confused. Why did our FO not even make an attempt to ask Winston to take a pay cut or restructure his contract? He is a top RT in this league and integral towards our O-line. This better mean we re-sign Myers and Breisel. The only part of this move that makes sense to me is that they are trying to make space for Mario this year or more people next year.

And you know they didn't because.....

DonnyMost
03-12-2012, 06:13 PM

What's more frustrating is that they didn't cut JaGoofy or Captain Hottub first.

srrono
03-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Cut Winston keep Jacoby? I really dont understand.

WolverineFan
03-12-2012, 06:16 PM

How do you know they didn't?

The Cush
03-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Rashad Butler has proven he can step in and be a starter at LEFT tackle, at least he's still on the roster and an option to fill the void before we have to rely on someone like Derek Newton

RTP2110
03-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Man if they cut Winston, but keep Jacoby, I will be upset!

cbs1507
03-12-2012, 06:20 PM
He will be making $5.5m each of the next 2 years. In other words overpaid. We would rather sign Myers over Winston. Plus Brown is a FA next year and we're cap strapped. It's a business.

JCTexan
03-12-2012, 06:21 PM
This is a bit shocking. The only way it makes sense is if they needed to free up cash to sign Myers and Brisiel. Otherwise you're losing three members of your starting O-Line from last year.

mussop
03-12-2012, 06:21 PM

No hes not.

mussop
03-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Man if they cut Winston, but keep Jacoby, I will be upset!

Be prepared!

Marcus
03-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Wait a minute!

I thought there were a bunch of people here that had the inside scoop on what the team is doing. J/K

None of us has a clue what they are doing or planning to do. Imagine that.

mussop
03-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Was wondering why the board was running so slow. I guess we will be looking at an OT early in the draft now.

TEXANRED
03-12-2012, 06:25 PM
No hes not.

I always thought Winston was a bit over-rated but to just out right cut him is insane.

Pantherstang84
03-12-2012, 06:27 PM
What's more frustrating is that they didn't cut JaGoofy or Captain Hottub first.

This I agree with. You need cap space? That's about 5 mil right there isn't it?

mussop
I always thought Winston was a bit over-rated but to just out right cut him is insane.

This could mean we really are trying to free money up for Mario. This is a good sign. If a couple of more cuts happen soon something big is coming.

gtexan02
How moronic... Has he missed a single start? Reliability and leadership should count for something. Who is his backup??

Shaft75
03-12-2012, 06:28 PM
610 AM is going apesh*t right now. That was their boy. They're shocked, stunned and flabbergasted

chenjy9
03-12-2012, 06:29 PM
How do you know they didn't?

“I was surprised,” he said. “They told me they were up against it (salary cap), and they didn’t want to insult me by asking me to take a pay cut. They said they hated to do it, and maybe we could work something out, but, well, I’m just stunned. I didn’t want to leave. This just sucks.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/03/texans-waive-offensive-tackle-eric-winston/

No hes not.

Uh...yes he is?

TEXANRED
Be prepared!

I agree with this too. No way are they going to eat the contract they just gave him over one play in one game.

steelbtexan
Holy Crapzola
Way out of left field. We don't even have someone who can take his place, and Bah just used his 2nd round pick on Brandon Thompson

Hopefully the OL will look like this

Brown/ W.Smith/ Myers/ Briesel/ Butler

With a couple of draft picks thrown in.

Winston was very overrated. He seemed to care about his future in broadcasting more than improving his game. In addition to almost getting Schaub killed a couple of games.

The Texans should be able to sign Manning, or re-sign MW.

TejasTom
03-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Scheduling conflict with Geico?

Best of luck to Eric!

Brandon420tx
03-12-2012, 06:31 PM
I still in shock over this. I really hope he goes to a team I like, like the Cardinals

Nawzer
03-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Surprise move for sure, but not shocking. Winston's a good right tackle but he was going to make too much money. What concerns me though that this system demands that your o-line work as a unit. They all have to be on the same page and they all have to know their roles. Inserting a new guy may disrupt that "flow" so I think the Texans have to careful about who they plug in. People will say Schaub should be concerned with this move, but if I'm Arian Foster I'm worried too about who's going to get downfield and make the block on the second level. At this point I think they'll promote someone already with the team to RT simply because that player should be familiar with the scheme. I don't see us drafting a RT high, but won't be surprised if we go after another veteran player like we did with Wade Smith a couple of years ago.

gafftop
03-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Don't tell me they are doing this to keep Mario

TheRealJoker
So we release Winston who was a solid starter for us... why haven't we released Jacoby yet?

ObsiWan
Surprise move for sure, but not shocking. Winston's a good right tackle but he was going to make too much money. What concerns me though that this system demands that your o-line work as a unit. They all have to be on the same page and they all have to know their roles. Inserting a new guy may disrupt that "flow" so I think the Texans have to careful about who they plug in. People will say Schaub should be concerned with this move, but if I'm Arian Foster I'm worried too about who's going to get downfield and make the block on the second level. At this point I think they'll promote someone already with the team to RT simply because that player should be familiar with the scheme. I don't see us drafting a RT high, but won't be surprised if we go after another veteran player like we did with Wade Smith a couple of years ago.

Well if take that line of thinking - good player but not worth what he is about to be paid - to it's next step, can DeMeco be very far behind??

drunkcookie
03-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Who thinks Dreesen is next? I thought he'd for sure be the first big name to drop (outside of Mario)...

badboy
03-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Interesting & eager to see what happens next. Gotta start looking at RTs now.

TEXANRED
So we release Winston who was a solid starter for us... why haven't we released Jacoby yet?

How much are you hated when you draw heat after a player that doesnt even play at your position gets the boot?

I almost feel sorry for Jones then I remember that he has a big bag of money he can cry into every night.

Nawzer
Well if take that line of thinking - good player but not worth what he is about to be paid - to it's next step, can DeMeco be very far behind??

Certainly not, if we're going strictly by the money. And that would include Jacoby Jones too. If they don't release Jacoby it could also indicate that WR is not going to be a high priority in the draft.

chenjy9
03-12-2012, 06:38 PM

I wouldn't go near that road yet. DeMeco started coming back to form later in the season. Let's see how the defensive captain plays this upcoming season when he is at least near completely recovered. He is just too smart and tough of a player to go down without a fight.

Naiirb
03-12-2012, 06:39 PM

There may be more moves coming that just haven't been officially announced yet. Eric Winston broke the news on his twitter account.

DX-TEX
Who thinks Dreesen is next? I thought he'd for sure be the first big name to drop (outside of Mario)...

He is a free agent.

Pantherstang84

Meco stepped up his game in the last half of the season and the dude was thumping. It would be great if we could keep him. I just don't know if the money is available to get it done.

drunkcookie
03-12-2012, 06:40 PM
He is a free agent.

That is right, forgot... Thanks...

Section516
Don't get this one...

NastyNate

I would actually be okay with that. Much more so than this. Winston hasn't missed a game in 5 years.

Hardcore Texan
03-12-2012, 06:43 PM

He's a TE so he's safe. ;)

Winston was a mauler in the run game but his pass pro could be suspect at times, maybe there is an upgrade coming? Gotta lock down Myers and Briesel for sure now.

CretorFrigg
03-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Interesting. Are we planning to draft a RT now?

cbs1507
03-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Winston gave up 7.5 sacks this year (33 total sacks).
He gave up 9 sacks last year (32 total).

And this is worth $5.5m each of the next 2 seasons...why?

Naiirb
03-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Interesting. Are we planning to draft a RT now?

according to Lance Zierlein the Texans seemed to be very interested in Mitchell Schwartz from Cal at the Senior Bowl. Also has the same agent as Foster too

TexCanada
03-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Maybe Matty HT is going to be our opening day starter so we need to upgrade RT. Ew.

DonnyMost
03-12-2012, 06:48 PM
I don't want a rookie tackle starting on a team with Superbowl aspirations.

I could've stomached cutting Demeco before this.

He was far more overpaid than Winston. Plus his backup, Sharpton, had looked decent. Meanwhile, we have no replacement for EW.

Edit: NVM, I forgot that Butler was on IR, I thought he was released.

I feel slightly better about this now.

EVOLVIST
03-12-2012, 06:49 PM
No worries, peeps. Rashad Butler has great feet and an unbelievable wingspan who can play both sides of the line. When Duane Brown was out Butler got progressively better on such short notice. With a full off season Butler will be just fine. He knows the offensive line inside and out.

The only way you worry now is if the Texans don't work the deals with Meyers and Brisel.

srrono
03-12-2012, 06:50 PM
John McClain ‏ @McClain_on_NFL

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

Texans saved $4.5 million in salary cap space by releasing Eric Winston. They've restructured Andre Johnson to free up more dollars.

Maddict5
03-12-2012, 06:54 PM
its mainly surprising because there are many more obvious candidates to save the cap room with. rashad can step in but if he gets injured again......

LikeMike
03-12-2012, 06:55 PM
So, who do we make cap space for? I thought we should`ve been able to sign Myers and Briesel without any more major cuts (after AJ restructured his contract - perhaps 1 or 2 more moves like this, but we should have at least a little money) - is this our final push for Mario? Or are we actually eying some FA that didn`t play for the Texans last season?

I am kinda shocked about Winston - yeah he was overrated and overpayed, but he was an integral part of the best O-Line in Texans history. Now we`ll have to mix it up some and that will be... interesting. Butler might be able to step in but we probably need to draft an OT now in round 2-4. So this move means: more money more problems...

The real question is: why isn`t Jacoby cut yet. He is overpayed worse than Winston was and plays a position we are most definetly try to upgrade this offseason - all the while we still have AJ, KW and some young guys. We can`t play all our WRs and Jacoby with his big contract should be the logical choice out.

Maddict5
03-12-2012, 06:55 PM
also nobody would trade for him??

GP
03-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Winston blew pass blocks every game, like some are saying in this thread, and his only great strength was run blocking. Leinart got drilled into the Jax turf because Winston's man flew by Winston almost untouched...Caveman got a paw on him, but it was like slapping at the guy as he went by him. I remember it vividly as CBS replayed the play Leinart was injured on.

And you know what? He WAS too concerned about his broadcasting career. Who broke the news of him being cut? He did. He couldn't even wait until it was officially released, and it looks like he's playing a victim card even if he didn't intend to. Other players might be getting cut, too, but their agent might be instructing them to not say anything until it's official or the time comes to do so. In short: Staying classy in the midst of tough times.

Winston will land somewhere. He'll have a new radio gig. He'll be fine.

thunderkyss
03-12-2012, 06:58 PM

I don't think Winston would have been shocked if they had asked. This is out of left field.

Desperation maybe?

Hope not.

I'm not a Winston fan, but this is a surprise. Big surprise.

aussie_texan
03-12-2012, 06:59 PM
wow. read the title thought it was some joke but.....wow

if this means keeping mario I'm all for it.

sad for EW though, he was an elite run blocker, not the best pass-blocker but overall easily a top 5 RT his going to be hard to replace but Butler played well in Browns absence so I'm not to scared atm

Nawzer
03-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Sports Radio 610 covering this as if Iraq was being bombed during the Shock and Awe campaign. Lol. They're all exasperated and out of breath.

Stemp
03-12-2012, 07:01 PM
I liked Winston and can't believe they released him. Our OL was one of big strengths and I just don't know if whoever replaces him will be as knowledgeable about our scheme early in the season.

badboy
03-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Folks have spoken about Manning bringing WR Reggie Wayne could he bring a RT?

TEXANRED
03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Winston blew pass blocks every game, like some are saying in this thread, and his only great strength was run blocking. Leinart got drilled into the Jax turf because Winston's man flew by Winston almost untouched...Caveman got a paw on him, but it was like slapping at the guy as he went by him. I remember it vividly as CBS replayed the play Leinart was injured on.

And you know what? He WAS too concerned about his broadcasting career. Who broke the news of him being cut? He did. He couldn't even wait until it was officially released, and it looks like he's playing a victim card even if he didn't intend to. Other players might be getting cut, too, but their agent might be instructing them to not say anything until it's official or the time comes to do so. In short: Staying classy in the midst of tough times.

Winston will land somewhere. He'll have a new radio gig. He'll be fine.
Wow, this is funny cus this is my exact same opinion of him.

Still though to cut your starting RT, a RT that was part of the best OLine in the league..............It's just crazy.

OMG, what if Studdard takes his spot? (yes I know he is a guard, that's the point)

Pantherstang84
03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Folks have spoken about Manning bringing WR Reggie Wayne could he bring a RT?

The tackles where part of his problems in Indy. They were working on fixing their oline issues for a while now.

HoustonFrog
03-12-2012, 07:05 PM
LZ on twitter says bad move if looking to resign Mario. Need to sign other olinemen. Mario is thought to be headed to Bears.

Maybe Winston wouldn't take cut.....or he wanted to do more than 300 interviews a year and wouldn't give up being Peter Kings inside source ....:)

Brisco_County
03-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Geez... Winston? I'm writing NASA. The Mayans were right.

Maddict5

it was duane who whiffed mr 'vivid memory'? :rolleyes:

Wolf
friend of mine says the Bears have cash and are pursuing hard for Mario
all I could tell him is that the Texans don't have the cash with all the pending FA coming in the next year

DonnyMost
OL depth is a concern now, but other posters are right, this is the price of success.

I am just genuinely disappointed for Winston because he was really a team guy and very much wanted to be a part of the Texans' playoff success (at least he got one win).

Sign Myers and Briesel, cut Jacoby and Leinart (replace them with Delhomme and somebody who can return kicks like Eddie Royal or Dante Stallworth)... and if you can't resign Mario, make sure you get Dressen, Ward, and Allen back on the roster. They all earned their spots and give us quality depth.

False Start
Sports Radio 610 covering this as if Iraq was being bombed during the Shock and Awe campaign. Lol. They're all exasperated and out of breath.

I would like to hear that, but that would mean Josh Innes' voice infecting my ears.

SW H-TOWN
03-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Family, Rick Smith ain't playing!

http://i43.tinypic.com/r1c31g.jpg

That picture that says RESPECT MY GANGSTA is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

Maybe he refused to restructure, I don't have any clue to why they would do this unless A. Rick Smith is going to whip a hell of a back up plan out of his ass that none of us have figured out as of yet B. We are really, really between the salary cap and a hard spot or C. It was Winston or Mario, no other alternative.

Now I will continue to look at that jewel of a picture w/ caption. Life is too short to pass up a good laugh, thanks Shark316.

Pantherstang84
I would like to hear that, but that would mean Josh Innes' voice infecting my ears.

Innes is off today. It is Sean Bijani filling in for him today.

drunkcookie

He called in today...

False Start
03-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Innes is off today. It is Sean Bijani filling in for him today.

He called in today...

Sweet! Thanks. :tiphat:

The Cush
03-12-2012, 07:10 PM

Barry Warner is the one leading the coverage, who is almost just as bad. He failed to realize Rashad Butler was still on the team and that Derek Newton was the replacement up until about 5 minutes ago.

IDEXAN
03-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Apparently the Texans feel that Rashad can play about as well as Winston while being a much better value. But still very surprising to say the least ?

Hagar
03-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Winston gave up 7.5 sacks this year (33 total sacks).
He gave up 9 sacks last year (32 total).

And this is worth $5.5m each of the next 2 seasons...why?Yep

Whether or not its Butler or someone else, you have to thinkk Smithiak has a plan.

Also, a lot of people want the Texans to be more like Pittsburgh (myself included). Well the Steelers cut veteran players whose salaries are bigger than thier production all the time. So far this year the Steelers have released Hines Ward, Aaron Smith, James Farrier and Chris Kemoeatu.

I'm just happy we've finally gotten to a place were we can cut good players like Winston and have Butler step into his spot.

Good luck Caveman!

Lucky
03-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Winston was very overrated. He seemed to care about his future in broadcasting more than improving his game. In addition to almost getting Schaub killed a couple of games.
I agree that Winston was overrated and probably overpaid. But Butler is very overrated around here. He almost got Schaub killed when subbing for Brown at LT. But, it should be an easier go for Butler at RT. All things equal, I'd rather have Winston. But they aren't equal, because Butler is paid less than half of Winston's salary.
John McClain ‏ @McClain_on_NFL
Texans saved $4.5 million in salary cap space by releasing Eric Winston. They've restructured Andre Johnson to free up more dollars.
About a week late on that one, General.

SW H-TOWN
03-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Yea, why would they cut Winston before Jones, or even Walter for that matter. ****, we could have moved him inside to guard and let his big ass run block. I'm confused. Very very interesting time of the year. This one definitely came out of left field.

fiasco west
03-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Well this means we will get it done with Myers. We better.

Hope we can get Mario back, that way we can tackle our depth on offense in the draft and not worry too much about another pass rusher.

Rey
03-12-2012, 07:17 PM
YES!!!!!

This is the kind of stuff I've been wanting to see!!!!

skenney_11
03-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Yea, why would they cut Winston before Jones, or even Walter for that matter. ****, we could have moved him inside to guard and let his big ass run block. I'm confused. Very very interesting time of the year. This one definitely came out of left field.

Like someone previously mentioned, maybe Jones and others have been cut be its not been announced yet.

TheMatrix31
03-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Big news.

Not sure how I feel about it. Winston was overrated overall but still a damn fine player.

We must get Myers, Brisiel, AND draft OL now.

D1DAVE
03-12-2012, 07:23 PM
I hate to see him go, but I think he can be replaced. I never really noticed how he could get beat by a really fast pass rush defense until this season. Really liked the guys intensity on the sidelines though.

Rey
03-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Eric Winston was not a good football player and I've been wanting to see a replacement there for years.

I'm surprised as hell about this move, but not sad in the least.

Ryan
03-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Eric Winston was not a good football player and I've been wanting to see a replacement there for years.

He certainly had some flaws but he was a very good run blocker.

Mr teX
meyers was coming back..this move imo was not made for him, they had cap space for him.....this move was made to try to get mario back, no doubt in my mind.

winston was definitely replaceable though.

D1DAVE

I guess you could say he was just good enough.

D1DAVE
03-12-2012, 07:27 PM
meyers was coming back..this move imo was not made for him, they had cap space for him.....this move was made to try to get mario back, no doubt in my mind.I am still not sure about the Mario re-sign. To many other OL to sign yet.

Rey
03-12-2012, 07:28 PM
He certainly had some flaws but he was a very good run blocker.

He was a good run blocker, but he is an OT...He was not a good pass protector...

For an OT that's not good.

SW H-TOWN
03-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Butler is good, I was impressed when he came in when I think it was Brown was injured and played well. The thing that gets me is that Butler ruptured his triceps and was put on IR last year, sounds kind of nasty. Also, I believe that Butler will be a UFA after next season but don't quote me on that. They must think highly of Newton too. Well, they better have Myers and Brisiel signed by 3 tomorrow. Never a dull moment.

Rey
03-12-2012, 07:30 PM
I guess you could say he was just good enough.

I think we can easily do better or just as well there.

I think Butler would make just as good of a RT as Winston...

Mr teX
03-12-2012, 07:30 PM
I am still not sure about the Mario re-sign. To many other OL to sign yet.

by resigning arian & releasing winston & failing to sign any of the OL guys as of right now, i can see what the FO is thinking. Alot of our run game success rests with #23. He damn sure made those guys look better than what they really are. They saying they feel arian is the catalyst & the most valuable piece to the puzzle & behind him is Meyers & Brown...everyone else is fair game to be replaced.

& if you go back & watch games...it bears out. We primarily ran left.....to brown's side. We primarily play-actioned to the left...brown's side. I honestly can't think of any major play we made to winston's side except for arian's TD run in the steelers game where he bent it back right.........and that had little to do with Winston; it was all Foster.

Wolf
03-12-2012, 07:32 PM
mario is gone

this move is more for Myers

D1DAVE
03-12-2012, 07:32 PM
I think we can easily do better or just as well there.

I think Butler would make just as good of a RT as Winston...We shall see!

Hervoyel
03-12-2012, 07:33 PM

I mostly agree with this with the exception of accepting that he was very good run blocking most of the time. Pass protection was an issue and it seemed like once a week this season I held my breath while he screwed the pooch trying to pass protect. Maybe it just looked so bad because Brown was having such a good year.

I think it's hard to make a case that Winston's position couldn't be upgraded or at the very least restocked for less money. He just wasn't that good. I think Butler can fill that position easily. LT is a reach for him but RT is where he came from (oddly enough Winston was a LT at Miami when Butler was starting at RT there).

I think they wouldn't have released him if they didn't think that they could survive it.

D1DAVE
03-12-2012, 07:33 PM
mario is gone

this move is more for MyersI think so.

Kimmy
03-12-2012, 07:34 PM
I've been on record a long time with not being a fan of Eric's. I think it was the smart move, trying to keep Meyers.

The RT position does worry me with this move, which is why I was willing to put up with him.

Hmmmm ... tomorrow should be very interesting!

ObsiWan
also nobody would trade for him??

I was wondering that meself....
:thinking:

Bulls on Parade
I want Mario Williams re-signed first and foremost.

Kaiser Toro
03-12-2012, 07:36 PM
I was a proponent of drafting him and re-signing him, but his contract was over valued.

I can't say Butler provides efficiency as a backfill, but do expect a RT to be taken in the early rounds or tinker with Brisiel at RT.

Wolf
03-12-2012, 07:37 PM
no no no no

Corrosion
03-12-2012, 07:39 PM
He's a TE so he's safe. ;)

Winston was a mauler in the run game but his pass pro could be suspect at times, maybe there is an upgrade coming? Gotta lock down Myers and Briesel for sure now.

Yeah , his pass protection was questionable at times. I recall one time this past year that he whiffed on a block and got Schaub hammered ..... Maybe someone can find that one on Youtube.

thunderkyss
03-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Hopefully the OL will look like this

Brown/ W.Smith/ Myers/ Briesel/ Butler

I wonder if a promise was made to Butler last year. I thought surely he would be gone, wisked off by another team & starting somewhere in this league.

Had he not been hurt this year, I wonder how that RT position would have played out.

Rey
03-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Yeah , his pass protection was questionable at times. I recall one time this past year that he whiffed on a block and got Schaub hammered ..... Maybe someone can find that one on Youtube.

Was that Schaub or Yates?

Because if it was Schaub then he also did it to Yates.

It was agains the Falcons...The DE just ran right past him and leveled TJY.

thunderkyss
03-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Don't tell me they are doing this to keep Mario

I honestly don't know what's going on. Last I saw we are $5M over the cap & still need to sign Myers & Brisiel.

SW H-TOWN
Like someone previously mentioned, maybe Jones and others have been cut be its not been announced yet.

Good point but I'm pretty sure that Jones would have tweeted something unintelligible by now. That guy makes me cringe when I read his tweets. He needs to take some grammar lessons from Foster.

Corrosion
Was that Schaub or Yates?

Because if it was Schaub then he also did it to Yates.

It was agains the Falcons...The DE just ran right past him and leveled TJY.

I recall it being early in the season .... so it had to be Schaub , the one against the Falcons had slipped my mind .... but that was a brutal one Yates took.

D1DAVE
03-12-2012, 07:44 PM
I want Mario Williams re-signed first and foremost.I disagree. If Mario goes, you get Jacoby gone and sign the o-line back up, get Winstons replacement I think we are good.. Of course that is if the rookies on defense do not have a bad 2nd season. IMHO:texflag:

bckey
03-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Gotta say I was shocked at the news. The Texans really need to get Myers signed. I bet Foster is sweatin bullets right now after signing a long term contract with only 2 olinemen on board so far. I'd be bending Rick's ear to get me my big boys up front signed.

And yes Jacoby should be gone. Not for the one play in the playoffs but his full body of work since he has been a Texan. He sucks.

drs23
03-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Yep

Whether or not its Butler or someone else, you have to thinkk Smithiak has a plan.

Also, a lot of people want the Texans to be more like Pittsburgh (myself included). Well the Steelers cut veteran players whose salaries are bigger than thier production all the time. So far this year the Steelers have released Hines Ward, Aaron Smith, James Farrier and Chris Kemoeatu.

I'm just happy we've finally gotten to a place were we can cut good players like Winston and have Butler step into his spot.

Good luck Caveman!

Thanks Hagar for posting this. It's about verbatim of how I was going to respond.

So many folks have blasted the FO for ineptness, being too conservative, being too cheap and many other things but I think this move indicates those views are unsubstantiated.

There's no way #73 gets released willy fk'n nilly. There's a solid plan in place and I'm going to give them credit for knowing what they're doing. Where all this leads and whether or not it will be successful remains to be seen. But I've got to believe the FO has a plan, a goal and the steps to be taken necessary to achieve same.

I'll go on record and say we'll probably see a few more "surprises".

As many have posted "if you're not getting better, you're getting worse".

I think things will really heat up in the next few days/weeks.

I'm gonna hide-n-watch. (With popcorn and a beer).

What else can a mother do?

:texans:

fiasco west
03-12-2012, 07:46 PM
I disagree. If Mario goes, you get Jacoby gone and sign the o-line back up, get Winstons replacement I think we are good.. Of course that is if the rookies on defense do not have a bad 2nd season. IMHO:texflag:

Which seems to always be a big if when it comes to the Texans. I would not risk it to rely on rookies although I'm sure Watt is a stud future multi-time Pro Bowler...I'm not really sure on Reed personally, he just doesn't pass the eye test to me.

chicagotexan2
03-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Dang who knob is josh ines going to bob now? First pollard leaves him now Winston. He's ok I do think he's over rated. I hope butler can get the job done.

D1DAVE
03-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Which seems to always be a big if when it comes to the Texans. I would not risk it to rely on rookies although I'm sure Watt is a stud future multi-time Pro Bowler...I'm not really sure on Reed personally, he just doesn't pass the eye test to me.Yeah I'm down with that for sure. Reed seems fine with me, just worried about a letdown on defense.. If that happens than I'm wrong about Mario. Crapshoot at best.

nero THE zero
03-12-2012, 07:57 PM
I honestly don't know what's going on. Last I saw we are $5M over the cap & still need to sign Myers & Brisiel.
You had $18M coming off from Mario and however much (~$9M?) from Winston and the AJ restructure.

Texan_Bill
03-12-2012, 08:00 PM
:panic:

While I like Winston and think he is a decent tackle, we would be well served to take that money and put it towards Meyers and Briesel. Give up one piece to save two others? I'm down, yo!!

That said, if the Texans lose either Meyers or Briesel, the FO will have some 'splainin' to do!!!

MistaRed
03-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Postponing judgement until I know where they're going with this. Right now though, not sure if I like it.

DonnyMost
03-12-2012, 08:03 PM

While I like Winston and think he is a decent tackle, we would be well served to take that money and put it towards Meyers and Briesel. Give up one piece to save two others? I'm down, yo!!

That said, if the Texans lose either Meyers or Briesel, the FO will have some 'splainin' to do!!!

The timing should be very telling.

Tomorrow is the deadline, we likely tried to negotiate with these guys all we could, but now we're up against the wall and the only way we can keep them both is to cut Winston. Makes a lot of sense. If they don't sign, I'll be pissed at Myers/Briesel, but only disappointed with the FO, as they obviously tried very hard.

Playoffs
03-12-2012, 08:05 PM
mario is gone

this move is more for MyersI agree, price of the cap this year.

Scrambling to keep Myers, maybe Brisiel.

thunderkyss
03-12-2012, 08:08 PM
all I could tell him is that the Texans don't have the cash with all the pending FA coming in the next year

Damn if that doesn't sound like tampering.

Bulls on Parade
03-12-2012, 08:09 PM
I disagree. I believe the Texans will do all they can to keep Mario. This move is just the start as they work hard tomorrow to get something done with Mario's agent.

GP
03-12-2012, 08:11 PM

Nope. Leinart dropped back, his blindside is to the right side of our line, which is Winston at RT. Leinart sense he's in trouble and he tried to toss the ball to one of our RBs or TEs, IIRC, over on the right side of the field (very shallow, like a RB dump off pass) but hell he couldn't really let go of the ball because Winston had blown the assignment so badly that the d-lineman wrapped up Leinart and drove him, shoulder-first, into the ground. Incomplete pass, by a mile, and a broken clavicle. Bing, bang, boom.

Winston had been having that stuff happen to him all year long. It was becoming a ritual.

dc_txtech
03-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Very surprised to hear this but I think it makes sense. I have a lot of confidence in Butler at either tackle position and I would rather lock up Myers and Briesel than keep Winston.

If it frees up any money to sign Mario than even better.

NitroGSXR
03-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks for a memorable 5 years. Best of luck to you, Caveman!!

Naiirb
03-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Nope. Leinart dropped back, his blindside is to the right side of our line, which is Winston at RT. Leinart sense he's in trouble and he tried to toss the ball to one of our RBs or TEs, IIRC, over on the right side of the field (very shallow, like a RB dump off pass) but hell he couldn't really let go of the ball because Winston had blown the assignment so badly that the d-lineman wrapped up Leinart and drove him, shoulder-first, into the ground. Incomplete pass, by a mile, and a broken clavicle. Bing, bang, boom.

Winston had been having that stuff happen to him all year long. It was becoming a ritual.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d82482d20/Texans-vs-Jaguars-highlights

1:42 mark is where Leinart gets injured. It was Jeremy Mincey who Duane Brown was covering that hit him

GP
03-12-2012, 08:20 PM

Doh! You are RIGHT!

Duane Brown got beaten badly on that play. It was a screen pass to the right side of the line and our LT and LG blew their assignments on the left side...with Duane at LT blowing it the worst.

My bad. I have been bested. I relinquish my pistol to you, good sir.

GP
03-12-2012, 08:21 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d82482d20/Texans-vs-Jaguars-highlights

1:42 mark is where Leinart gets injured. It was Duane Brown guy that hit him

I know, I just saw the video because I went looking for it, too! Dammit! I was wrong. Oh well, it happens once every year or two. ;)

BSofA04
03-12-2012, 08:24 PM
I thought this was a joke at first. No way we cut a solid RT.

Then the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Winston was not playing up to his contract. I'm sure the Texans knew that he wouldn't be willing to play for Bulter's salary, so it's best to waive him and clear up some cap space. Tough cut though, Winston was a good guy.

I just hope the FO has something more than Butler/Newton in mind. Butler coming off injury plus Newton's lack of experience is not giving me a good deal of confidence.

Premier
03-12-2012, 08:24 PM
if anything its showing that the texans arent relying on this loyalty factor some of you seem so adamant about.. loyalty had rick smith and kubiak on the hot seat, these guys arent playing.. its a business, screw this loyolty bs, you either perform or look for a new job, i like it..

Kimmy
03-12-2012, 08:26 PM
I know, I just saw the video because I went looking for it, too! Dammit! I was wrong. Oh well, it happens once every year or two. ;)

It's OK GP. There were so many whiffs by Winston, you could have easily been confused LOL

Pantherstang84
03-12-2012, 08:27 PM
if anything its showing that the texans arent relying on this loyalty factor some of you seem so adamant about.. loyalty had rick smith and kubiak on the hot seat, these guys arent playing.. its a business, screw this loyolty bs, you either perform or look for a new job, i like it..

Me too.

bckey
03-12-2012, 08:30 PM

Then Jacoby must go.

Leinart just got cut

DonnyMost
03-12-2012, 08:33 PM

They're loyal as long as they're under the cap and you're not overpaid.

D1DAVE
03-12-2012, 08:33 PM
if anything its showing that the texans arent relying on this loyalty factor some of you seem so adamant about.. loyalty had rick smith and kubiak on the hot seat, these guys arent playing.. its a business, screw this loyolty bs, you either perform or look for a new job, i like it..Ya know I'm from Ohio originally. I remember seeing the last championship game at my Uncles house with my dad. I was 8 years old. I' m all for loyalty but I want a championship. Still a Browns fan also, but we know where they are headed right now. The Texans need to do what it takes to bring it home to the fans. Right now! Sorry Eric.

drs23
03-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Then Jacoby must go.

Leinart just got cut

It's gonna happen but a little later I think. Maybe even camp. I say this because of Gary's comments after the end of the season. Then again I could be FOS.

We'll surely find out before we tee it up opening weekend.

He NEEDS TO BE GONE!

Carr Bombed
03-12-2012, 08:40 PM

I'd tell him... good for him, but that's why his team will continue to get their butts kicked by the Packers and now the up and coming Lions... This isn't 1985 and you have to have more than just a really good defense. (Peppers with Mario sounds terrifying, but it's redundant) If the Bears do that, they're retarded... they need to be investing in the line on the other side of the ball, because Cutler has brain matter falling out of his helmet every weekend.

There's only so many cap dollars... as we're all finding out. If the Bears do that, they're blowing their wad in one area and putting all of their eggs in one basket.

TimeKiller
03-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Dang...didn't think he was choppin block material but clearly they've got a bigger plan in the works. Maybe he was a tad overrated but I thought he was a decent player...

Maybe he pissed someone off?

The Cush
03-12-2012, 08:41 PM
It's gonna happen but a little later I think. Maybe even camp. I say this because of Gary's comments after the end of the season. Then again I could be FOS.

We'll surely find out before we tee it up opening weekend.

He NEEDS TO BE GONE!

That wouldn't make sense to hang on to him for that long when having his cap space is most important during free agency

Wolf
03-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Damn if that doesn't sound like tampering.

it is all over the chicago newspapers

drs23
03-12-2012, 08:43 PM
That wouldn't make sense to hang on to him for that long when having his cap space is most important during free agency

Great counterpoint. In that case tomorrow it is. Off with his roster spot. NOW!

SW H-TOWN
03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Saw the article where Winston says the Texans stated that they were up against it (salary cap). Could be wrong but that does not sound like we are going to be signing Mario to a $100 million plus contract. If they cut Jacoby they need to do it before 3 tomorrow. It would be a dream come true if we could get a guy like Meachem or Manningham in free agency because I don't see a day 1 starter available at 26 in the draft (a guy can dream).

thunderkyss
03-12-2012, 08:44 PM

The thing that is so surprising, is that they cut him. If it were just about creating cap space, they could have just restructured his deal.... I can't think of a reason why he would have been against it (unless he's believing his own hype).

DonnyMost
03-12-2012, 08:45 PM
The thing that is so surprising, is that they cut him. If it were just about creating cap space, they could have just restructured his deal.... I can't think of a reason why he would have been against it (unless he's believing his own hype).

He only had 2 years left on his deal. 5.5 million each season, no bonus money. I don't think they could push it all to next year, when they're going to be even closer to the cap.

amazing80
03-12-2012, 08:45 PM

Or at worst trade him?

Kimmy
03-12-2012, 08:48 PM

Winston? Believe his own hype? SHOCKING! I always felt he spent way too much time at Wing Stop (610), You Tube & Sirius ...

GP
03-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Saw the article where Winston says the Texans stated that they were up against it (salary cap). Could be wrong but that does not sound like we are going to be signing Mario to a $100 million plus contract. If they cut Jacoby they need to do it before 3 tomorrow. It would be a dream come true if we could get a guy like Meachem or Manningham in free agency because I don't see a day 1 starter available at 26 in the draft (a guy can dream).

See, I would also like to grab a better WR2 like you're saying. Glad I'm not alone.

We need a better route runner, a guy who has seen big games in his career. We tried to get that in Eric Moulds wayyyyy back when, but he was already too old and beat up to really do anything here.

Meachem or Manningham would be a good FA fix for WR2. Give Yates somebody to throw to that can be trusted on a consistent basis to be where he should be, and to do something with the ball once he gets it.

Pantherstang84
03-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Winston? Believe his own hype? SHOCKING! I always felt he spent way too much time at Wing Stop (610), You Tube & Sirius ...

Yeah. Whatever gave someone that idea?

Carr Bombed
03-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Doh! You are RIGHT!

Duane Brown got beaten badly on that play. It was a screen pass to the right side of the line and our LT and LG blew their assignments on the left side...with Duane at LT blowing it the worst.

My bad. I have been bested. I relinquish my pistol to you, good sir.

Don't feel totally defeated there GP... because when Yates suffered his shoulder injury (thank god it was to his non throwing arm or he would've been shelfed) Winston totally WHIFFED. You were wrong about that play, but not about the assertion that Winston was a little harmful to our QBs health last season. It wasn't that he just couldn't hold his block... when he got beat, the majority of the time his man was coming through free and untouched.

Winston was a good player though and depending on (hopefully) pending moves that help justify it, I'm going to question why he was just outright cut, but I'm also not going to sit here and pretend like he was some all world RT either. The man was a badass guard stuck out at RT. A Mauler and brawler in the running game.... sucked in pass protection, flat out embarrassed most of the times when he was beat.

thunderkyss
03-12-2012, 08:52 PM
I'd tell him... good for him, but that's why his team will continue to get their butts kicked by the Packers and now the up and coming Lions... This isn't 1985 and you have to have more than just a really good defense. (Peppers with Mario sounds terrifying, but it's redundant) If the Bears do that, they're retarded... they need to be investing in the line on the other side of the ball, because Cutler has brain matter falling out of his helmet every weekend.

There's only so many cap dollars... as we're all finding out. If the Bears do that, they're blowing their wad in one area and putting all of their eggs in one basket.

After what the Giants did to Aaron Rodgers.... I can see them going after Mario.

I understand the cap restrictions, but for the most part, it's funny money. There is always a way if a that's what the team wants.

fiasco west
03-12-2012, 08:54 PM

Well the Texans can say that but they could mean "With what we are planning to pay some of these guys, we'll be up against it." and thus release him.

Either way none of us have much of an idea what's going on. Could be they are clearing this space to sign Reggie Wayne + our linemen. Not Mario or Manning. Guess we'll find out soon though.

gafftop
As long as they are not doing this just to resign Mario I am Ok with it. They are clearing cap space hopefully to sign someone/s when FA starts tomorrow.

They need help at a few positions and if they are clearing cap space to address these I am in favor. They know what is out there better than we do.

SW H-TOWN
See, I would also like to grab a better WR2 like you're saying. Glad I'm not alone.

We need a better route runner, a guy who has seen big games in his career. We tried to get that in Eric Moulds wayyyyy back when, but he was already too old and beat up to really do anything here.

Meachem or Manningham would be a good FA fix for WR2. Give Yates somebody to throw to that can be trusted on a consistent basis to be where he should be, and to do something with the ball once he gets it.

I've also seen a couple of articles that say this is a deep WR UFA class, a "Buyers Market" so I got my fingers crossed. One was on nfl.com I believe.

Premier
didnt someone report a week or so a go that the texans wanted to lock up duane brown long-term...

SW H-TOWN
03-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Well the Texans can say that but they could mean "With what we are planning to pay some of these guys, we'll be up against it." and thus release him.

Either way none of us have much of an idea what's going on. Could be they are clearing this space to sign Reggie Wayne + our linemen. Not Mario or Manning. Guess we'll find out soon though.

Exactly right, only the FO guys know but I sure hope that with this restructuring and cutting that we can resign Myers and Brisiel before 3 tomorrow and get a Meachem or Manningham in free agency. Like I said, a guy can dream :)

Carr Bombed
03-12-2012, 09:00 PM
P.S.

LMAO at sports radio 610.

For freaking hours they've been trashing everybody who called in and criticized Winston or said he spent too much time in the media and they've been telling people that their "resident retired lineman" Greg Cook was going to be on later and just wait to see what he has to say....

Well the man pretty much just called out Winston, questioned his priorities, and said he's not shocked and completely understands why Winston was let go. Barry Warner... :rake: just stepped into it. Now this moron is saying he completely agrees with everything Greg Cook had to say when Warner just spent hours (along with Jerome Solomon) crying how disastrous this move is and how horrible it is for the team.

Greg Cook flat out said... at a time where Winston should've been coming into his own and entering his prime, he had his worst season ever and this is something I've talked to him about before. I don't think he was focused on honing his craft. Duane Brown has become the player who plays with the mentality and the way that they always envisioned Winston could play like.

Carr Bombed
03-12-2012, 09:05 PM
After what the Giants did to Aaron Rodgers.... I can see them going after Mario.

I understand the cap restrictions, but for the most part, it's funny money. There is always a way if a that's what the team wants.

The Giants have offensive lineman and receivers. The Bears...
------:cricket:
:cricket:-----:cricket:
-----:cricket:

DocBar
I'm absolutely shocked by this. I'm in the Winston is overrated camp, but never even considered the Texans would just cut him. I wonder if OD and Ryan are next. I'll be more than happy to save the cap space with OD(I like Dreesen quite a bit more than him) but I'm not sure of dead money if they do. I also agree that Butler will be our starting RT in 2012, unless Tony Boselli found a time machine and is back to his mid-90's form.
Like a lot of players, I see this as freeing up $$ for MW and maybe working on some contract extensions on next years FA crop. I still don't see the Texans making a serious run at PM. WHo would take Schaub? Washington just spent a buttload of picks for the 2nd overall. Do they have any good players we would trade Schaub for?
Evidently Smith read Solomon's article and decided to be very aggressive.

cbs1507
I'm sorry guys but when you give up 17 of 65 total sacks in the past 2 years AND you're getting paid $11m over the next 2 years. Adios.

Hopefully this means we keep Mario, but if not...I understand.

Kimmy
03-12-2012, 09:08 PM
P.S.
Greg Cook was going to be on later and just wait to see what he has to say....

Well the man pretty much just called out Winston, questioned his priorities, and said he's not shocked and completely understands why Winston was let go. Barry Warner... :rake: just stepped into it. Now this moron is saying he completely agrees with everything Greg Cook had to say when Warner just spent hours (along with Jerome Solomon) crying how disastrous this move is and how horrible it is for the team.

Greg Cook flat out said... at a time where Winston should've been coming into his own and entering his prime, he had his worst season ever and this is something I've talked to him about before. I don't think he was focused on honing his craft. Duane Brown has become the player who plays with the mentality and the way that they always envisioned Winston could play like.

HELLO! No chit right? I've been saying that for two freaking years!

Dutchrudder
03-12-2012, 09:08 PM
This is so weird having him cut. I mean I guess it's ok, it's not like we're trying to win a Super Bowl next year or anything....

They better have a damn good plan going forward here.

GP
03-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Don't feel totally defeated there GP... because when Yates suffered his shoulder injury (thank god it was to his non throwing arm or he would've been shelfed) Winston totally WHIFFED. You were wrong about that play, but not about the assertion that Winston was a little harmful to our QBs health last season. It wasn't that he just couldn't hold his block... when he got beat, the majority of the time his man was coming through free and untouched.

Winston was a good player though and depending on (hopefully) pending moves that help justify it, I'm going to question why he was just outright cut, but I'm also not going to sit here and pretend like he was some all world RT either. The man was a badass guard stuck out at RT. A Mauler and brawler in the running game.... sucked in pass protection, flat out embarrassed most of the times when he was beat.

I think were I got mixed up was the CBS replay, during the actual game, was more of a sideline shot on Winston's side and at the end of the play Winston sort of lets up...I guess I connected dots that were not there and thought it was a d-lineman who made it past Winston's left side while Winston took on the wrong guy who was on his right side. Anyways, I will freely admit I whiffed on that recollection!

Dutchrudder
03-12-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm sorry guys but when you give up 17 of 65 total sacks in the past 2 years AND you're getting paid $11m over the next 2 years. Adios.

Hopefully this means we keep Mario, but if not...I understand.

Assuming there are 5 positions with players getting equal number of snaps, 65 divided by 5 = 13. Got any numbers on what other guys gave up? Doesn't sound that out of the ordinary. Would love to see sacks given up by other RTs in the league as well. Without that comparative info, the stat is pretty useless.

GP
03-12-2012, 09:11 PM
P.S.

For freaking hours they've been trashing everybody who called in and criticized Winston or said he spent too much time in the media and they've been telling people that their "resident retired lineman" Greg Cook was going to be on later and just wait to see what he has to say....

Yeah, the radio guys fell in love with a Texans mauler that gave them the time of day...it clouds their judgment. The bromance is over. :crying:

Lucky
03-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Well the man pretty much just called out Winston, questioned his priorities...
I don't know about questioning the guy's priorities. Winston wasn't good enough to earn a $5.5 million salary. If he were making $2 million a year, he'd still be on the team. Quitting his radio show wouldn't have made him a $5.5 million player.

thunderkyss
03-12-2012, 09:14 PM

I see the Cardinals cut Levi Brown today.

Lucky
03-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Evidently Smith read Solomon's article and decided to be very aggressive.
You're not serious, right? The Texans could give a sheet about what Solomon did or didn't write. Who reads Soloman, anyway?

Pantherstang84
03-12-2012, 09:16 PM
HELLO! No chit right? I've been saying that for two freaking years!

Kimmy you were a prophet on this and I came along somewhere. While having players on the radio to do interviews during the season is nice, I don't want to hear them have 2 hour radio shows playing analyst.

Cook was right. Duane Brown honed himself into that junkyard dog you want to see in an offensive linemen. Winston? Well he worked real hard on setting himself up for a broadcasting career. Hopefully, he can learn from his experience here and concentrate more on football at his next stop.

SW H-TOWN
03-12-2012, 09:17 PM
This is so weird having him cut. I mean I guess it's ok, it's not like we're trying to win a Super Bowl next year or anything....

They better have a damn good plan going forward here.

Butler's tricep better be damn healthy. FO surely had that tricep checked out real good and think he can come in and fill most of Winston's shoes. Can't see our GM making such a Gangsta move otherwise.

Now if Jacoby would tweet something unintelligible I could go to bed happy.

DocBar
03-12-2012, 09:19 PM
You're not serious, right? The Texans could give a sheet about what Solomon did or didn't write. Who reads Soloman, anyway?Sorry. I forgot the :sarcasm:

thunderkyss
03-12-2012, 09:22 PM
I don't know about questioning the guy's priorities. Winston wasn't good enough to earn a $5.5 million salary. If he were making $2 million a year, he'd still be on the team. Quitting his radio show wouldn't have made him a $5.5 million player.

I know offensive linemen are supposed to be round, but I thought he was out of shape this year & he didn't appear to get down the field like he used to.

I still thought he was a bit of a mauler, just not that hammer he used to be.

steelbtexan
03-12-2012, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=Lucky;1914281]I agree that Winston was overrated and probably overpaid. But Butler is very overrated around here. He almost got Schaub killed when subbing for Brown at LT. But, it should be an easier go for Butler at RT. All things equal, I'd rather have Winston. But they aren't equal, because Butler is paid less than half of Winston's salary.

Yep, Butler will probably do about as good of a job as Winston did at half the $$$$. Look for the Texans to pick up a cheap vet to be the swing OT. (Salaam type guy.)

The Texans organization doesn't like its players to get all chummy with the media and is making alot of $$$$. If a player does this, he better hold up his end of the bargain. Or like Winston, they will be cut.

mussop
03-12-2012, 09:37 PM
P.S.

That was halarious. Warner and Salamon are both such knobs.

Kimmy
03-12-2012, 09:38 PM
@ericwinston (https://twitter.com/#!/ericwinston)
Unfortunately I have bad news. The Texans have decided to release me today. Although it is a surprise, I have nothing but positive memories And great relationships that I have built over the years. While my future seems uncertain, I am confident I will land on my feet. Let me say thank you to Mr. McNair and the whole Texan organization. They have had big role in the player and person I have become. And last but not least to my fans and teammates. You guys are the absolute best! I will miss all of you more than you know.

chicagotexan2
03-12-2012, 09:42 PM
The madden curse ain't got nuthin on the wing stop curse. You do commercials for them and your career in Houston will be sleeping with the fishes. Bu bye Winston.

Playoffs
03-12-2012, 09:47 PM
ProFootballFocus.com ‏ @ProFootbalFocus Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

You're not the only one! RT @damienwoody: I'm totally shocked about Eric Winston! @ProFootbalFocus

Texans KNOW they can play without Mario Williams from last year. They don't know what dumping a RT of Winston's quality does yet

Winston was costing Texans $6.5m this season. Want to bet he gets more than that on the open market?

Winston cut, Myers a FA. 2/5 (arguably the best 2/5ths of the best OL in the NFL may not be back. That's an offense killer.

Mr @ericwinston is one of the best RTs in the league. That's a shock the Texans are prepared to let him go. Will have offers. Lots of em

Wow!! Now that one is a shock RT @caplannfl: #Texans starting ORT Eric Winston announces he will be released. Surprising.

cbs1507
03-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Assuming there are 5 positions with players getting equal number of snaps, 65 divided by 5 = 13. Got any numbers on what other guys gave up? Doesn't sound that out of the ordinary. Would love to see sacks given up by other RTs in the league as well. Without that comparative info, the stat is pretty useless.

Bro 17 sacks given up in 2 years out of 65 total is ridiculous I don't care how you try to compare it (not to mention 1 penalties which is more than Myers and Brisiel combined). Especially if he making $5.5 m in each of the next 2 years (made $4m last year).

But here is the site...
http://hosted.stats.com/fb/findplayer.asp?type=position&position=95

thunderkyss
03-12-2012, 10:12 PM
ProFootballFocus.com ‏ @ProFootbalFocus Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Winston was costing Texans $6.5m this season. Want to bet he gets more than that on the open market?

I would be surprised if he gets more than $6.5M.

I'd be upset if he goes to Washington & it "appears" Kubiak served Winston up to his daddy with no compensation.

gtexan02
03-12-2012, 10:17 PM
He hasn't missed any games. When you have a team that has dealt with injury as often as the Texans, why would you just outright cut one of your healthiest, most consistent players? I just don't get it...

He aparently loved it here. Why wouldn't they even have tried to renegotiate?

Kimmy
03-12-2012, 10:17 PM

I'd be upset if he goes to Washington & it "appears" Kubiak served Winston up to his daddy with no compensation.

Isn't that tampering?

Kimmy
03-12-2012, 10:18 PM
double post

GP
03-12-2012, 10:19 PM
@ericwinston
Unfortunately I have bad news. I will not be able to continue my radio show in Houston, but all you guys can follow me online at whatever radio station I will be on in my next city. You guys are the absolute best, especially the full-time radio guys who worshipped me! Remember: I'm on twitter, and I'll be on another radio station...so it's not the end of the world. I have to go update my blog, so I'll see you guys later...probably in about 10 minutes or so.*

I think he's over the shock of being cut.

*It's a joke. Live it up a little, for crying out loud!

bckey
03-12-2012, 10:19 PM

I was thinking the exact same landing spot for Winston.

Kimmy
03-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Josh Innes (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000766792938)
Winston being cut has no affect on our Tuesday shows. Will not be getting someone else to fill his spot. From what I've been told we were losing the Winston show anyway. It was a casualty of our new deal with the Texans. We were not going to have a Tuesday player show anyhow.

Wolf6151
03-12-2012, 10:32 PM
We better not have made this move in order to satisfy Mario's thirst for money. We've got a new good starter at OLB but we need some depth, we don't have starter quality depth at RT. Winston was very important to Fosters success in the run game but left alot to be desired in the passing game thus the reason many of us suggested moving him to OG. I guess Butler will be penciled in at RT but I think we'll be looking in FA and the draft as well.

ChampionTexan
03-12-2012, 10:33 PM
The madden curse ain't got nuthin on the wing stop curse. You do commercials for them and your career in Houston will be sleeping with the fishes. Bu bye Winston.

Yeah, but neither of them has HEB beat!

http://i11.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/5f/c0/a8_1_b.JPG

GP
03-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Josh Innes (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000766792938)
Winston being cut has no affect on our Tuesday shows. Will not be getting someone else to fill his spot. From what I've been told we were losing the Winston show anyway. It was a casualty of our new deal with the Texans. We were not going to have a Tuesday player show anyhow.

If this is real, then I think the Texans are making it clear that distractions such as players having radio shows are a thing of the past.

Smithiak making it clear that fat will be trimmed, lives will be simplified across the board, and the only focus is to win a Super Bowl. Period.

chicagotexan2
03-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Yeah, but neither of them has HEB beat!

http://i11.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/5f/c0/a8_1_b.JPG

You win. I forgot about those.

Kimmy
03-12-2012, 10:42 PM
If this is real, then I think the Texans are making it clear that distractions such as players having radio shows are a thing of the past.

Smithiak making it clear that fat will be trimmed, lives will be simplified across the board, and the only focus is to win a Super Bowl. Period.

As well they should and it's about damn time!

DonnyMost
03-12-2012, 10:44 PM
The Texans gave decided to part with Eric Winston, which means that I am crossing my fingers I get the seat on the Wingstop Nickle Hour.

-Fake John McClain (@FakeJohnMcClain)

TexanSam
03-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Wow. This came out of left field. With Winston cut it absolutely means we have to resign Myers and Briesel. I can only imagine one other reason for doing so, and that's to sign Mario. I'd rather keep as much of our O-line intact than re-signing a defensive player we don't need though (even though he's a damn good one).

GP
03-12-2012, 10:50 PM
The Texans gave decided to part with Eric Winston, which means that I am crossing my fingers I get the seat on the Wingstop Nickle Hour.

MSR.

Geez, it's been a rough week for John around here.

Lucky
03-12-2012, 10:51 PM
I know offensive linemen are supposed to be round, but I thought he was out of shape this year & he didn't appear to get down the field like he used to.
Do you think Butler is in better shape?

What are you talking about? The Texans like to have players on the airwaves and the tube. It's good exposure for the team. I'm pretty sure it's part of KILT's contract with the Texans to have a certain amount of time alloted during the week with the players and the coach. Winston's show was on his off day (Tuesday), anyway.

Seriously, you guys are reading too much into this. Keep it simple. Follow the money.

DonnyMost
03-12-2012, 10:53 PM
MSR.

Geez, it's been a rough week for John around here.

Deservedly so, he has been exposed over the last 2-3 years as a know-nothing hack when it comes to the NFL. His days of being an "insider" with the Oilers are long gone, and now he is literally a mouthpiece of misinformation for the Texans. He thinks he's got his finger on the pulse, but he's so in the dark it's laughable. And the fact he's so pompous and petulant about it makes it even worse. There is an actual inverse relationship with what John McClain says and what the truth is or what is going to happen. I can't help but think that behind closed doors, the front office (and even the players) piss themselves laughing at how bamboozled Pancakes is. It is just sad.

TexanSam
03-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Seriously, you guys are reading too much into this. Keep it simple. Follow the money.

This.

ItsMyFault
03-12-2012, 10:59 PM

That's hilarious.

EVOLVIST
03-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Do you think Butler is in better shape?

He should be. Usually guys who spend a significant time rehabbing from a sports injury come back in pretty good shape because they are generally forced by trainers to work on all core groups (especially if it's not a lower body injury). I've done it and came out in better physical shape because of it.

That's not to say, however, that Butler will be in football form, right now. But then again, by the time OTAs start most players aren't and they have to condition by getting in there and actually doing it. So, I suspect Butler will be fine going into training camp and come out ready to play ball.

GP
03-12-2012, 11:03 PM

I'm not saying he was axed purely because of his radio gig. I'm saying that whether he was cut or not, it looks like the Texans chose to NOT have a player be on that radio show anymore.

Connect this with how there's been criticism for Winston's full-on embrace of the radio show, Winston being cut, and it is possible that players are being sent a subtle signal that if you talk the talk, you better damn sure walk the walk.

He wasn't cut because of his radio gig. He was cut for dollar reasons, but I think with the exit of Winston also comes the curtain falling upon the temptation of any Texans player to risk getting their hopes up for local stardom and fanfare on the air waves.

If I'm a Texans player watching all this go down, I'm thinking twice about penciling in ANY commitments unless it's necessary from a Texans P.R. standpoint. Again, just thinking out loud on this (I tend to do that).

Honoring Earl 34
03-12-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm not saying he was axed purely because of his radio gig. I'm saying that whether he was cut or not, it looks like the Texans chose to NOT have a player be on that radio show anymore.

Connect this with how there's been criticism for Winston's full-on embrace of the radio show, Winston being cut, and it is possible that players are being sent a subtle signal that if you talk the talk, you better damn sure walk the walk.

He wasn't cut because of his radio gig. He was cut for dollar reasons, but I think with the exit of Winston also comes the curtain falling upon the temptation of any Texans player to risk getting their hopes up for local stardom and fanfare on the air waves.

If I'm a Texans player watching all this go down, I'm thinking twice about penciling in ANY commitments unless it's necessary from a Texans P.R. standpoint. Again, just thinking out loud on this (I tend to do that).

Pollard did a lot of radio also .

The 49ers of the 80's would pay you well but once you didn't earn it anymore , you were cut or traded .

Lucky
03-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Again, just thinking out loud on this (I tend to do that).
Again, I think you're reading too much into this. This is the same organization that produces Shaun Cody's weekly bit. Kubiak has a show on 610 every week. So does Matt Schaub. Arian Foster has maybe 2 or 3 shows on yahoo sports radio. They didn't cut him.

Honoring Earl 34
03-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Again, I think you're reading too much into this. This is the same organization that produces Shaun Cody's weekly bit. Kubiak has a show on 610 every week. So does Matt Schaub. Arian Foster has maybe 2 or 3 shows on yahoo sports radio. They didn't cut him.

I bet they asked him to restructure and he said no .

GuerillaBlack
03-12-2012, 11:26 PM

They produce. Winston was starting to slip.

infantrycak
03-12-2012, 11:30 PM

Dude you are talking to Mr. Conspiracy Theory "I own a crystal ball into the minds of everyone."

:toropalm:

tak3ov3r
03-12-2012, 11:32 PM
http://www.khou.com/sports/Audio-Winston-reacts-to-being-released-by-Texans-142422225.html

NitroGSXR
03-12-2012, 11:32 PM
I bet they asked him to restructure and he said no .
Its been said that they told Winston that they were not going to "insult" him by asking to restructure.

Jeez. It's a kill or be killed business.

Lucky
03-12-2012, 11:35 PM
They produce. Winston was starting to slip.
Agreed. Which is why it has everything to do with production/salary and nothing to do with radio shows.

TexanBacker93
03-12-2012, 11:57 PM
This move worries me a little. Is he probably overrated? Yes. Did he miss blocks in the passing game? Yes. He was a great run blocker and I think an important part of the success we have had in that facet of the game. Overall, I think our line success is more about the sum of the parts than individual pieces. I hope they can find someone that can step in to that role. Maybe it will be Butler.

Spled
03-13-2012, 12:01 AM
The guy's been a bull for a lot of years. We better draft well.

welsh texan
03-13-2012, 12:08 AM
This doesn't surprise me all that much when I think about it. Winston got found out early in the season and I wouldn't be surprised if it led to a change in assignments to cover his weaknesses.

He was earning quality starter money @ $5.5 whilst being pretty middle of the road at best in performance.

He's been a great guy to have around, and in my mind at least will be remembered as one of the key components in the Texans' rise from the dross but at some point you've got to move on from the guys who made a bunch of scrubs look exactly what they were and try and find someone on the same level as the rest of the team.

I've asked this question before in a Winston related thread and didn't get an answer, but am I right in thinking Butler doesn't really fit @ RT as well as he does at LT?

If thats the case i'm wondering how we fill that position, we took a guy very late in last years draft but I don't know if he's still on the team, maybe he was sick on PS all season, but I doubt it.

Is anyone capable of calming me down a little bit here though? For all that I understand them cutting these guys (EW, DR, JJ, all overpaid based on their current abilities, take injuries and radio shows out of the equation, its a fact) but these cuts suddenly coming off the back of the announcement that the cap will be lower than anticipated, are the Texans making well thought-out pre-meditated moves to help the team here, are they clearing space to make a splash...or...have they simply shot their bolt, are in cap hell, and having to cut players they'd planned on keeping around. I mean, as things stand they need to get a starting C, RG, RT signed, are relying on their depth at WR, ILB and will desperately need quality OLB depth too.

When the season ended we all thought we had no glaring needs but wouldn't it be nice if they got a decent WR?

I sure hope I've just over-reacted big time, its not the actually cuts that worry me, they are all positions where we could do better for our money, its the reasoning behind them.

Dutchrudder
03-13-2012, 12:26 AM
"I was surprised," he told the newspaper. "They told me they were up against it (salary cap), and they didn’t want to insult me by asking me to take a pay cut. They said they hated to do it, and maybe we could work something out, but, well, I’m just stunned. I didn’t want to leave. This just sucks."

I just don't understand this. This is a business, you ask people to restructure all the time. Why the hell wouldn't you ask Eric Winston to restructure his deal, add a year or two and spread out some money. I just don't get it.

JamesBill
03-13-2012, 12:30 AM
Winston was over rated by the media and his super agent. His play just wasn't up to par. Our line's performance sunk after the bye week. It wasn't all briesel, and they might have used that tape to decide Eric was even worse than they thought.

I'm fine with this. Kubiak can find new linemen.

GP
03-13-2012, 12:32 AM

Cody is a Texans-produced product.

The others you stated? They handle their business. Winston and David Anderson? Media clowns.

Again, like it's been said...Winston might have cared more about the off-the-field stuff and it caught up with him. With everything that surrounds him, and for what he was being paid, he didn't handle his business.

I am not saying, once again!, that he was fired directly because of his show. I am saying his show might have played a part in his declining career in Houston because he started to slip and thought he was on of Bob's kids who are never to be hassled with.

I'm not as dense as I'm being made out to be. I'm fully aware other players and the HC have media gigs.

GP
03-13-2012, 12:33 AM
I just don't understand this. This is a business, you ask people to restructure all the time. Why the hell wouldn't you ask Eric Winston to restructure his deal, add a year or two and spread out some money. I just don't get it.

He might be worse than meets the eye? Maybe his agent goofed? Or maybe the Texans felt they could save the money and start anew at RT somehow?

Lots we don't know (yet).

JamesBill
03-13-2012, 12:37 AM
His agent is Drew Rosenhaus. Also no one does more media than Winston, he has a 4 hour web show, 1-2 hour radio show. He is at best the 3rd best O-Lineman we have. Who cares.

dream_team
03-13-2012, 12:53 AM
I bet Winston gets signed by another team for more than the 5 mil he was going to make with the Texans. I can't explain it, but he is so overrated by people outside of Houston for some reason???

I'm surprised, but not too disappointed. I think Butler will finally get his shot to start in this league, and he'll play well. He's an upgrade in pass pro, but a downgrade in run blocking... definitely worth the savings.

If Winston's salary was needed in order to re-sign Myers, then I'd do this every time.

Playoffs
03-13-2012, 12:53 AM
ProFootballFocus was shocked:

17:50 RELEASE! And this is a real shocker. So much so that even though it comes from the twitter account of Eric Winston with heartfelt thanks to the Texan fans, you kind of think he must be pulling our leg. Winston was close to making our All Pro team at right tackle, and has been one of the most consistent right tackles in the league, earning a +31.2 grade over the past three years. That has come completely out of left field and really shakes up the offensive tackle market, with the dependable and talented Winston immediately becoming the best tackle available. For a line built on continuity that move could cause issues for the Texans.

clutch
03-13-2012, 01:27 AM
Knew this would happen.. the O-line is as strong as its weakest link.. which was winston.. good move texans..

bckey
03-13-2012, 02:03 AM
Knew this would happen.. the O-line is as strong as its weakest link.. which was winston.. good move texans..

wtf ever

kiwitexansfan
03-13-2012, 02:16 AM
Like everyone else. WOW.

imatexan
03-13-2012, 02:18 AM
I don't like it.

He has been consistent, they better have something in the works.

In any case WHY would they cut a 5 year starter on the best O-line in the league last year before they cut Jacoby Jones!?

Maddict5
03-13-2012, 02:45 AM
nvm

Norg
03-13-2012, 03:55 AM
GOOD maybe now we wont see whoever the starting DE is this week Totally Make our RT look like hes playing on Roller skates anymore i support dis move

Exascor
03-13-2012, 06:46 AM
In any case WHY would they cut a 5 year starter on the best O-line in the league last year before they cut Jacoby Jones!?I'd suspect they cut him now out of respect. It gives him a chance to have his name out there for other teams to look at before the signing frenzy begins.

Honoring Earl 34
03-13-2012, 08:21 AM
I don't like it.

He has been consistent, they better have something in the works.

In any case WHY would they cut a 5 year starter on the best O-line in the league last year before they cut Jacoby Jones!?

This is what happens when you get good . You have to decide who's the easiest to replace to pay the ones who are the hardest to replace .

ckhouston
03-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Yeah, that's a great pitch for Manning. Come here Peyton! We promise to replace our Center, RG and RT this offseason with great guys to protect your neck!!!

May see them sign the C and RG today before deadline now that they are making room. Strange, but EW wasn't a top tier RT, just a decent player and awesome radio personality. Wish him all the best, but there seems to be a storm brewing.

Rey
03-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Winston will be on the Radio later today...

Dutchrudder
03-13-2012, 09:49 AM
May see them sign the C and RG today before deadline now that they are making room. Strange, but EW wasn't a top tier RT, just a decent player and awesome radio personality. Wish him all the best, but there seems to be a storm brewing.

Here's the problem with that, the team can sign those guys before they cut Winston. If the idea was to free up room to sign those guys, they could lock down Myers and/or Brisiel before cutting Winston. As they say, bird in one hand is better than two in the bush...

I still can't believe they couldn't trade him. Even a 3rd round pick is more than you would get in comp picks, if we qualify.

The1ApplePie
03-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Here's the problem with that, the team can sign those guys before they cut Winston. If the idea was to free up room to sign those guys, they could lock down Myers and/or Brisiel before cutting Winston. As they say, bird in one hand is better than two in the bush...

I still can't believe they couldn't trade him. Even a 3rd round pick is more than you would get in comp picks, if we qualify.

Winston was overhyped by being a good interview and his performane a few years ago, but I agree that he should have been traded for something.

Me thinks he will be hanging out with Little Shanny and RG3 this year.

welsh texan
03-13-2012, 10:06 AM

I hope this is all in keeping with the master plan for this off-season, because right now it feels a little bit like they're panicking.

In reality, trading players is a rarity in the NFL, it seems as if trades need to be instigated more by the buying team than the selling team, if you shop a guy just before FA, teams know full well the chances are you'll cut that guy if they don't bite.

I find it astonishing how people think the FO should be getting draft picks for lower tier guys, the clamor to trade Slaton last season for instance, ideas that you could trade Mario despite his being out of contract. It just doesn't happen like that. Lower tier guys tend to get traded if they are a solid backup , under contract who could start for another team (K Walter, C Myers)
or a quality starter who forces a trade (C Palmer).

I think I'm going to try and stop checking till the deadline comes around anyway, its sending me crazy lol.