PDA

View Full Version : AJ:Flat salary cap challenges teams like Texans

Wolf
03-11-2012, 03:25 PM
The NFL released its 2012 team salary cap number Sunday and as expected it's not much different than 2011.

Andrew Brandt, among many others, reported the 2012 cap has been set at $120.6 million.

The league mandated cap in 2011 was $120.375 million.

Brandt pointed out a couple of other factoids about this year's cap:

The $120.6 million figure represents the salary portion of the cap. The overall cap, which includes player benefits, is $142 million which is also the same as last season. Team cap values are typically reported against the salary portion of the cap and not the overall number.
Last year, teams could 'borrow' an additional $3 million from future caps. This year, teams can only borrow $1.5 million. The option to 'borrow' $3 million last season was often referred to as a 'soft cap' where teams could be granted a $3 million dollar exemption from the 2011 cap ($1 million per player for up to three players with five or more accrued seasons). This was put in place, presumably, to soften the blow of coming off a year with no cap in 2012.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Flat salary cap challenges teams like Texans - Houston Houston Texans | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/flat-salary-cap-challenges-teams-like-texans#ixzz1oqG6OiyL

Playoffs
03-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Tick...tick...tick...tick...

Texans players who are not under contract and will become unrestricted free agents unless re-signed by tomorrow are [Mario] Williams, Chris Myers, Mike Brisiel, Joel Dreessen, Derrick Ward, Tim Bulman, Tim Dobbins, Jason Allen, Dominique Barber, Bryant Johnson, Kasey Studdard, Matt Turk, Neil Rackers, Jake Delhomme and Jeff Garcia.

Brandon420tx
03-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Everyone after Brisiel on that list won't be a major loss

gtexan02
03-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Why didn't it go up?

ChampionTexan
03-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Why didn't it go up?

It's based on an agreed percentage of specifically defined revenues, so it's a pretty good assumption that those revenues didn't go up.

Don't look for much next year either.

Brandon420tx
03-11-2012, 04:40 PM
It didn't go up because they withheld certain programs last season to keep the cap at 120 million, those programs have been re-instated this season and the costs factored into the equation this time

GP
03-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Myers, Dreessen, Rackers, and Briesel (If Briesel is willing). Everyone else is pretty JAG (except Mario) and could walk if need be. Will still be able to sign a lot of those, IMO.

Turk might need to be back due to Hartmanm being suspended early 2012 reg season.

aj.
03-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Why didn't it go up?

Because of an increase in player benefits and the return of the performance based pay system in 2011 which starts hitting the cap again this year.

TheMatrix31
03-11-2012, 05:26 PM
I think retaining Dreesen will be an underrated thing.

badboy
03-11-2012, 06:22 PM
A question I've not seem addressed anywhere. What happens if an NFL team goes over the cap? NBA has a much known luxury tax but I cannot recall NFL consequences being mentioned.

Lucky
03-11-2012, 06:32 PM
I think retaining Dreessen will be an underrated thing.
Will Dreessen really attract teams to offer a contract much bigger than his last one (3 years, $3.6 million)? He's a backup TE. A good backup TE. But, still a backup TE. He should do a backflip if he gets a 3 year, $5 million offer. I'd worry about the Skins, but they are already paying a couple of TEs big bucks.

A question I've not seem addressed anywhere. What happens if an NFL team goes over the cap?
They can't go over the cap. They couldn't get a contract approved if it put the team over the cap. They also won't be able to participate in the draft unless they have the cap room allotted for their draft picks. A hard cap is just that...hard.

XI CMURDER IX
03-11-2012, 06:36 PM
A question I've not seem addressed anywhere. What happens if an NFL team goes over the cap? NBA has a much known luxury tax but I cannot recall NFL consequences being mentioned.

Forfeiture of draft picks, I think.

badboy
03-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Will Dreessen really attract teams to offer a contract much bigger than his last one (3 years, $3.6 million)? He's a backup TE. A good backup TE. But, still a backup TE. He should do a backflip if he gets a 3 year, $5 million offer. I'd worry about the Skins, but they are already paying a couple of TEs big bucks.

They can't go over the cap. They couldn't get a contract approved if it put the team over the cap. They also won't be able to participate in the draft unless they have the cap room allotted for their draft picks. A hard cap is just that...hard.Thanks, NFL has to agree on each deal; but what if Texans had resigned Foster and Mario 2 weeks ago but were unable to be below at deadline? Are those contracts nullified? I do realize that teams can cut players at last moment to get there.

badboy
03-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Forfeiture of draft picks, I think.I guess the commissioner could do that but never have I seen any rules or disciplinary measures. I think Lucky is right.

Lucky
03-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks, NFL has to agree on each deal; but what if Texans had resigned Foster and Mario 2 weeks ago but were unable to be below at deadline? Are those contracts nullified? I do realize that teams can cut players at last moment to get there.
I think in that case contracts would be voided. Probably the most recent ones that took the team over the cap. It's never happened, to my knowledge.

cbs1507
03-11-2012, 06:54 PM

Article 14 Section 6
http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/General/2011_Final_CBA.pdf

Forfeit new contracts, forfeit draft pick, or fine.

badboy
03-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Article 14 Section 6
http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/General/2011_Final_CBA.pdf

Forfeit new contracts, forfeit draft pick, or fine.Very significant penalties for violations but does not mention cap specifically. Thanks CBS!