PDA

View Full Version : NFL QB Theory: West Coast college QBs worse than Midwest/East Coast QBs?

GP
03-11-2012, 01:31 PM
I was looking at the laughable position the Jets have placed themselves into by extending Sanchez another three years rather than letting him play out his previously-existing 2 years left on his deal. The analysis is that the man is coddled.

He's from USC. Leinart was from USC. Carr was form Fresno State.

Peyton Manning? Tennessee. Brees? Purdue. Brady? Michigan.

Is it possible that being a college QB in a California college, let alone maybe even on the West Coast ANYWHERE (Ryan Leaf, for example), is a setup for failure once they leap to the NFL?

Is it possible that there is a vibe or culture of "Hey man, whatever..." in California that conditions those QBs to be happy with "whatever" in the NFL?

It'd be interesting to see how many successful NFL QBs have come from the Midwest and East or Southeast vs. West Coast (primarily California). I don't have time to look at it, historically, but I plan to make a study of it. Just something I was thinking about this morning. What do you think?

Errant Hothy
03-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Do you mean from Cali or went to school in Cali? Because there is a difference, although plenty of good QBS went to school in Cali and plenty are from Cali.

Lucky
03-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Aaron Rodgers went to Cal. He's pretty good. Andrew Luck out of Stanford is considered to be pretty good. I guess there are exceptions to everything.

gg no re
03-11-2012, 01:49 PM
I think it just seems that way because the concentration of colleges in Cali versus their media exposure is more prominent compared to schools in other regions.

I mean, Cal, UCLA, USC, and Stanford are the big names, but when you look at it, I don't think there's any handicap to being a QB there, other than the higher media coverage. We can flip the script and say QBs from Florida or Texas colleges barely amount to anything, so I think it's just perception.

Errant Hothy
03-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Aikman, Plunkett, Rodgers and Elway all went to university in California and all have multiple SB rings.

TexanSam
03-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Troy Aikman went to UCLA, John Elway went to Stanford, Aaron Rodgers went to Cal, Warren Moon went to Washington, Dan Fouts went to Oregon. Historically, I think it's hard to say being from a west coast school means you aren't going to be as good.

Currently, Aaron Rodgers is the only NFL QB who's in the top tier that went to a school in the west coast.

You can see the list of all the current NFL starting QB's and their schools here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_NFL_starting_quarterbacks

Lucky
03-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Six NFL starting QBs (Brady, Rodgers, Alex Smith, Palmer, Sanchez, Matt Moore) are California high school products. That ties Texas high school QBs (Brees, Stafford, Kolb, Ponder, Dalton, McCoy) for the most in the league, though Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin are about to push that number higher. They play pretty good football in Cali. Just not as good as Texas. :)

gtexan02
03-11-2012, 09:08 PM
I think your idea of Californians in general is a little stereotyped. Have you been there before?

GP
03-11-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm talking RECENT, not going back to the days of Fouts or Elway.

I think within the past decade it seems maybe the college culture in California is cranking out loafers and not serious students of the game.

USC is my primary example. Rodgers from Cal is an exception, and Luck hasn't won anything in the NFL yet.

gtexan02
03-11-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm talking RECENT, not going back to the days of Fouts or Elway.

I think within the past decade it seems maybe the college culture in California is cranking out loafers and not serious students of the game.

USC is my primary example. Rodgers from Cal is an exception, and Luck hasn't won anything in the NFL yet.

Why are they so successful in college then?

gg no re
03-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Why are they so successful in college then?

Traditionally, or at least in the last ten years, hasn't the Pac-10 been more of an offense-oriented conference compared to say, the SEC?

Texan_Bill
03-11-2012, 10:57 PM
To be fair, Troy Aikman went to UCLA after he couldn't hack the SWC at Oklahoma!

:stirpot:

infantrycak
03-11-2012, 11:26 PM
To be fair, Troy Aikman went to UCLA after he couldn't hack the SWC at Oklahoma!

:stirpot:

OK. Can't let this not get a response. Aikman left when the coach changed ironically for who ended up being the coach of the Cowboys after Jimmy Johnson left.