PDA

View Full Version : Colts' release TE Clark, RB Addai, three others

alphajoker
03-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Hadn't seen this posted yet. Colts are cleaning house.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8277e93f/article/colts-release-te-clark-rb-addai-three-others?module=HP11_headline_stack

El Tejano
03-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Melvin Bullit?

Perhaps Indy is clearing room for Mario?

Ryan
03-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Why would they be trying to deal Freeney and then pick up Mario? I don't think that makes any sense.

They have alot more things to work on and holes to fill now, and i don't think putting all of their eggs into the Mario basket would be the smartest thing for them to do.

TEXANRED
03-09-2012, 11:41 PM
Why would they be trying to deal Freeney and then pick up Mario? I don't think that makes any sense.

They have alot more things to work on and holes to fill now, and i don't think putting all of their eggs into the Mario basket would be the smartest thing for them to do.

Seriously. By the time the colts are any good Mario will be retiring.

Mr teX
03-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Ding Dong the witch is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brisco_County
03-10-2012, 01:54 AM
What was the problem with Bullit? His price?

I hope all those dudes don't regroup in AZ with Manning and Fitzgerald.

welsh texan
03-10-2012, 04:33 AM
I'm beginning to get the feeling they are just now moving on from the Dungy era rather than just the Manning era. The Colts have done nothing since Dungy went, they've drafted terribly, done next to nothing in FA, and just let those guys grow old and run things how they were used to running them.

All with Caldwell stood at the sidelines pretending to know what he was doing.

I actually feel a bit cheated that its all over so quickly, would have loved to have seen the Texans battle that Colts team for a couple of years and beat them hands down. Instead we've got total capitulation.

Ah well, can't have everything can you.

TheMatrix31
03-10-2012, 06:18 AM
It's sad. I don't care about our "rivalry". I never even came close to hating the Colts the way I hate the Jaguars and the Titans. Add in the fact that I love Peyton and that I always rooted for the Colts in their battles against the hated Patriots....

I mean obviously as a Texans fan this is great news that the team is fully dismantled, but as a football fan overall, it's a bit surreal and disappointing. Been a long time since the Colts were awful.

Malloy
03-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Ding Dong the witch is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what strike me the most, that was one quick downfall for one of THE most dominating teams the last decade.

We need to enjoy our success, it can change REAL fast :)

Fili
03-10-2012, 09:00 AM
They are trying to build around Luck. It's going to take them a few years to do it... :kitten:

Rey
03-10-2012, 09:55 AM

Seriously. By the time the colts are any good Mario will be retiring.

The Colts are about to draft Andrew Luck. With a good draft this year and next year they might be better than you think. It doesn't take long for an NFL franchise to get good again. Look at the Panthers and how Cam had that offense playing...Luck will be lucky to have a season like Cam did, but my point is that it's entirely possible that the Colts become a dangerous team in the next few seasons...

As far as why they'd want Mario in and Freeney out...Age..Mario is better against the run...Taking a division rival's player...

Also, they just re-upped Mathis and they probably realize that Mathis has played his whole career opposite Freeney...Freeney has been battling injuries, his production has dropped off some...

Bring in Mario and you don't miss much of a beat getting after the passer and you also have a young stud DE for years to come.

There are lots of reasons why the Colts would give Mario a sniff even after cutting Freeney.

Vinny
03-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Seriously. By the time the colts are any good Mario will be retiring.It doesn't take long to turn around a team. Our ultra slow build was fairly unusual outside of Cleveland and Detroit.

Ryan
03-10-2012, 02:46 PM
In the Colts case i could easily see it taking 5 years. With the complete lack of talent they had without Peyton, and then getting rid of all of it this offseason, it's gonna take a miracle for them to be competitive in the next 2 years unless they have some of the best drafts in NFL history.

Vinny
03-10-2012, 02:51 PM
In the Colts case i could easily see it taking 5 years. With the complete lack of talent they had without Peyton, and then getting rid of all of it this offseason, it's gonna take a miracle for them to be competitive in the next 2 years unless they have some of the best drafts in NFL history.The Panthers were a joke two years ago.

Playoffs
03-10-2012, 02:51 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20120310/SPORTS03/203100329/Grigson-Colts-let-go-were-cap-casualties-10-6M-savings-needed-long-term

Including Manning and Friday's cuts, the Colts freed up approximately $10.6 million under what is expected to be a $120 million salary cap in 2012. However, the deletions, along with previous player moves, leave the team with nearly $38 million in dead money, which is remaining prorated bonuses that have been paid but not yet applied to the cap.

The Colts could apply the entire amount against the 2012 cap -- that would be about one-third of the cap being taken up by players no longer on the roster -- or push portions of two players' dead money into 2013.

Also, this week's transactions saved Irsay significant cash: about $50 million, which includes 2012 base salaries and the $28 million option bonus Manning won't be getting.

So if the apply that dead money to 2012 cap, take the cap number -- say $120 million -- and subtract the dead money. That's what they's have left for total team cap in 2012. Ouch.

Ryan
03-10-2012, 05:28 PM
The Panthers were a joke two years ago.

They still only went 6-10. More flash than substance although i was impressed when they played us. The Panthers even right now with hardly a glimmer of defense are still more talented on that side of the ball than the Colts are and especially more talented offensively even with an Andrew Luck.

drs23
03-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Coltfreaks board is blowing up! (http://coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58249)

TimeKiller
03-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Wow. I thought Brackett was a good LBer.

BullNation4Life
03-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Hell pick up Brackett and move him to the outside with Reed and Barwin...

texanmojo
03-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Coltfreaks board is blowing up! (http://coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58249)

Yep. The site seems to be down.

Lucky
03-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Wow. I thought Brackett was a good LBer.
Brackett was once a good coverage LB. Never a run stuffer. Not that it mattered, when the Colts were up by 2 TDs. Now, Brackett can't stay on the field. He would have been gone, rebuilding mode or not.
Hell pick up Brackett and move him to the outside with Reed and Barwin...
Brackett has never been a pass rusher. 4 career sacks in 116 games.

Hagar
03-12-2012, 07:24 PM
It doesn't take long to turn around a team. Our ultra slow build was fairly unusual outside of Cleveland and Detroit.

Agreed. Sometimes the best laid plans don't work out as expected ~ like Cleveland and Detroit. Heck, look at AZ, one year a bust, next in the Super Bowl, now a bust again.