PDA

View Full Version : Andre Johnson restructures contract

srrono
03-08-2012, 12:49 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/08/texans-johnson-cowboys-bryant-restructure-contracts/?campaign=Twitter_blogs

Texans’ Johnson, Cowboys’ Bryant restructure contracts: blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/08/tex…

Allstar
03-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Nice, now let's see what we plan to do with the extra cap room...

pirbroke
03-08-2012, 12:54 PM
way cool, so how much does that free up this year. The cap quote surprised me as well, no raise?

The official salary cap numbers for the 2012 season will be released by Friday, and the final number will be very similar to last season’s cap of around $120 million.

skenney_11
03-08-2012, 12:55 PM
I thought you couldn't restructure a contract back to back years. That's what McClain has been saying all off season

nero THE zero
03-08-2012, 12:55 PM
This has to be at least the second time he's restructured, in addition to his extension/reworking.

Anyone have a count on that?

b0ng
03-08-2012, 12:57 PM
I thought you couldn't restructure a contract back to back years. That's what McClain has been saying all off season

I don't think Andre re-structured before or after the lockout last year.

Mike Kerns
03-08-2012, 12:59 PM

I believe that was an extension with a crazy signing bonus, not a restructure. But I could be wrong on that.

IDEXAN
03-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Please don't tell me the Texans might really make a serious run @ Mario ?

gwallaia
03-08-2012, 01:01 PM
We need aj or Stephanie to explain this to us.

False Start
Awesome! This dude just keeps on showing what a team player he is, and making himself one of Houston's greatest athletes of all time. I hope this means Myers, and Mario will be Texans for the foreseeable future. :texflag:

2012Champs

Super "M" just not Mario

skenney_11
03-08-2012, 01:02 PM

I hope they do. I believe Mario will sign back to win, not for the money.

Thorn
03-08-2012, 01:04 PM
If we can afford him, and still sign our FAs next year, I would LOVE to have Mario on our team. It's just I've been under the impression we couldn't afford him.

chicagotexan2
03-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Super "M" just not Mario

Unless it stands for usually Mediocre.

pirbroke
03-08-2012, 01:07 PM

Hey, If they can bring back Everyone, then why not.

BigBull17
03-08-2012, 01:08 PM
If we can afford him, and still sign our FAs next year, I would LOVE to have Mario on our team. It's just I've been under the impression we couldn't afford him.

Thats why I stayed out of if we could/can't afford him, because I have no idea what contraacts have wiggle room, and which don't. Even capologist, who know alot, may not possible know the whole story.

2012Champs
03-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Unless it stands for usually Mediocre.

Manning :kitten:

IDEXAN
03-08-2012, 01:20 PM
We can afford Mario along with everybody else we want to retain, just as we can have our cake and eat it to.

Dutchrudder
03-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Johnson converted his base salary ($6.5 million) to a bonus and spread it out over a number of years.

AJ has 5 years left on his deal. 6.5/5 = 1.3 million cap hit in 2012; a savings of 5.2 million. That's a nice chunk of change to use to sign Myers, Mario or Manning...

The Cush
03-08-2012, 01:32 PM
I believe that was an extension with a crazy signing bonus, not a restructure. But I could be wrong on that.

Yea, basically a new contract. When you restructure, the end dollar amounts stay the same. I believe Andre ended up getting more money with the extension

srrono
03-08-2012, 01:34 PM
AJ has 5 years left on his deal. 6.5/5 = 1.3 million cap hit in 2012; a savings of 5.2 million. That's a nice chunk of change to use to sign Myers, Mario or Manning...

Why do people keep putting Manning here if this in the very far fetched happened it would turn out just like Boselli did for the Texans. Besides Kub loves his players and I dont see him just dropping Schuab.

htown2012
03-08-2012, 01:42 PM
So funnyy how john mclain tends to know everything bout the texans saying that they won't pursue manning or now saying they will draft a olb in first round instead of wr how other analysts have stated. But he has yet to mentioned the restructure of johnson contract which is huge crazy lol

2slik4u
03-08-2012, 01:50 PM

I hope they do. I want Mario back but didnt see how there was any way it was going to happen. I can see a little daylight here...

Still have more pressing issues here with Myers/Brisiel.

2slik4u
03-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Why do people keep putting Manning here if this in the very far fetched happened it would turn out just like Boselli did for the Texans. Besides Kub loves his players and I dont see him just dropping Schuab.

This is why it wont happen.

leebigeztx
03-08-2012, 01:53 PM
I hope they do. I want Mario back but didnt see how there was any way it was going to happen. I can see a little daylight here...

Still have more pressing issues here with Myers/Brisiel.

Did u read the article by pat kirwan that i posted in another thread? If not, go take a look at it. He lays it out and part of it was converting johnson,joseph,smith,and daniels salary into signing bonus and creating 12m of cap room. Its not that hard and the player win because they get the money right now.

srrono
03-08-2012, 01:55 PM
So funnyy how john mclain tends to know everything bout the texans saying that they won't pursue manning or now saying they will draft a olb in first round instead of wr how other analysts have stated. But he has yet to mentioned the restructure of johnson contract which is huge crazy lol

Don't hate on McClain he is probably finishing up his 5th trip to the buffet line at Golden Corral so he has not had time to tweet.

SheTexan
03-08-2012, 02:03 PM

I hope so!!

I look for OD to do the same soon. I saw an interview he had the other day and he said he would do it. This was asked in reference to would he restructure in order to keep Mario, and he said yes!!

Dutchrudder

Because he had an M name... :D

htown2012
Don't hate on McClain he is probably finishing up his 5th trip to the buffet line at Golden Corral so he has not had time to tweet.

Right bout that one. Everything he says on the texans they tend to do the opposite feel bad for the guy sometimes

ckhouston
03-08-2012, 02:07 PM

By all reports it is now far fetched. It wouldn't end like Boselli, it would end in "rings" (plural). Kubes has a taste now of success with this organization. If he is going to be loyal to anyone it is the rookie who won him the playoff game, not the washed up injury prone mediocre QB who has an injury some people never recover from. IMHO.

False Start
03-08-2012, 02:12 PM

If Pancakes lost 5 pounds for every time he was wrong, he would weigh 5 pounds by now.

infantrycak
03-08-2012, 02:20 PM
We need aj or Stephanie to explain this to us.

Dutch is close. That can't convert all $6.5 to signing bonus. There has to be at least a vet minimum salary. For AJ that is probably around $900k. So AJ will be on the cap for $900k est. + $1.13 mil ($5.6 mil converted and pro-rated over 5 years) + $400k ($2.8 mil original signing bonus pro-rated over 7 years) = $2.43 mil.

He would have counted $6.5 in salary plus the $400k pro-rated original signing bonus = $6.9 mil.

So the cap space saved is $4.47 mil.

SheTexan
03-08-2012, 02:20 PM
By all reports it is now far fetched. It wouldn't end like Boselli, it would ends in "rings" (plural). Kubes has a taste now of success with this organization. If he is going to be loyal to anyone it is the rookie who won him the playoff game, not the washed up injury prone mediocre QB who has an injury some people never recover from. IMHO.

Sure don't know much about our QB do ya??

Do you realize the injury PM has is one that some people never recover from either? Give me a QB with a foot injury ANYDAY over one with a neck injury that is one hit away from total PARALYSIS! JMO!

Thorn
03-08-2012, 02:21 PM
If the Texans can somehow retain both Mario and Meyers, I'm gonna be one happy fan. :)

False Start
03-08-2012, 02:25 PM
If the Texans can somehow retain both Mario and Meyers, I'm gonna be one happy fan. :)

No doubt. It would be perfect offseason.

ckhouston
03-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Do you realize the injury PM has is one that some people never recover from either? Give me a QB with a foot injury ANYDAY over one with a neck injury that is one hit away from total PARALYSIS! JMO!

Completely inaccurate statement. His structural issue is gone. He can be hit as much as any other player without fear of anything. He has no fear of paralysis because of any injury he has sustained. His neck is totally and completely structurally healed, and he has been cleared as that by two doctors. The ONLY issue was the nerve damage and if he would regain the strength to throw with velocity and accurately. "Insert Duke Video Here". Matt may or may not ever play another game. he is the only one still up in the air.

ATRAIN
03-08-2012, 02:28 PM
No doubt. It would be perfect offseason.

I have to agree with this.

Dutchrudder
03-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Dutch is close. That can't convert all $6.5 to signing bonus. There has to be at least a vet minimum salary. For AJ that is probably around $900k. So AJ will be on the cap for $900k est. + $1.13 mil ($5.6 mil converted and pro-rated over 5 years) + $400k ($2.8 mil original signing bonus pro-rated over 7 years) = $2.43 mil.

He would have counted $6.5 in salary plus the $400k pro-rated original signing bonus = $6.9 mil.

Ah you're right, I read that as the amount converted, not his base for the year.

False Start
03-08-2012, 02:42 PM
I have to agree with this.

Only thing that would make it better is if we could get this guy in a Texans uniform. :heh:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/pigeon_raida-1.jpg

skenney_11
03-08-2012, 02:48 PM
About five minutes ago, josh and rich on 610 just said McClain claims that la canforas report is not true.

Thorn
03-08-2012, 02:52 PM
About five minutes ago, josh and rich on 610 just said McClain claims that la canforas report is not true.

Rumors will be around until something concrete is announced. I have no doubt they want to keep Mario, as to their progress or effort I'm sure us common folk (and sports reporters as well) know zilch.

DonnyMost
03-08-2012, 02:55 PM
McClain said it's not true = sure fire validation of truth.

Dutchrudder
03-08-2012, 02:57 PM

He's probably getting Andre Johnson mixed up with Andre Davis. A common mistake.

Fili
03-08-2012, 02:57 PM
MARIOOOOOOOOOOOO WILLIAMSSSSSSSSSSSS :doot:

ckhouston
03-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Typically when it comes to breaking news ... La Canfora > McRib.

srrono
03-08-2012, 03:01 PM

I dont know I mean its not like Jason La Canfora just said AJ restructured. He has specific details on the deal. Maybe the deal is in place but Texans FO is waiting to announce.

False Start
03-08-2012, 03:01 PM

He's just mad because La Canfora beat him to the punch and his "insider" info.

GP
03-08-2012, 03:08 PM
If Pancakes lost 5 pounds for every time he was wrong, he would weigh 5 pounds by now.

Harsh. But true.

"Pancakes" McClain

"Grand Slam" McClain

"Wonderfall" McClain

It's endless. In the movie Secretariat, he looked like Mike Holmgren's challenged brother.

Why doesn't he just stop already? I almost think the Texans wait for him to tweet or post some "scoop" then Smith and Kubiak do the opposite just because they want to jack with him.

ItsMyFault
03-08-2012, 03:14 PM
I hope we can re-sign Mario, Myers, and Breisel now.

Andre is awesome!

Malloy
03-08-2012, 03:22 PM

That's what I'm hoping. Cool of AJ spoke with Mario and they agreed on doing so! :)

SheTexan
03-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Harsh. But true.

"Pancakes" McClain

"Grand Slam" McClain

"Wonderfall" McClain

It's endless. In the movie Secretariat, he looked like Mike Holmgren's challenged brother.

Why doesn't he just stop already? I almost think the Texans wait for him to tweet or post some "scoop" then Smith and Kubiak do the opposite just because they want to jack with him.

Secretariat is one of my fav movies! I've watched it a zillion times, yesterday being the latest, and I DO NOT remember seeing J. McClain in that movie! But, I wasn't looking for him either. What part? Now my curiosity is up!

bckey
03-08-2012, 03:44 PM
He's just mad because La Canfora beat him to the punch and his "insider" info.

I'm not a fan of La Canfora but that is probably what happened. I still can't believe NFL network was too cheap to pay Adam Schefter. They really took a step backwards when they let him go and picked up Drew Carey's little brother.

I think the restructuring of Andre's contract is more for Myers than it is for MW. I'm not saying with some more player contract restructuring that Williams can't be signed but at this point I think Myers has to be the priority.

paycheck71
03-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Secretariat is one of my fav movies! I've watched it a zillion times, yesterday being the latest, and I DO NOT remember seeing J. McClain in that movie! But, I wasn't looking for him either. What part? Now my curiosity is up!

One of the press conferences with Diane Lane (may be the one with Sham owner, too). He's sitting in the front row with "civil war" facial hair.

Malloy
03-08-2012, 03:50 PM
I hope we sign MW, 1-week wasted with nfl.com :)

amazing80
03-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Hopefully OD and Ryans are next.

ckhouston
03-08-2012, 03:57 PM

Ryans and OD restructure, and isn't Smith in the last year of his deal? Maybe extend him two years and make more room?

Maddict5

JJOE would save the most. if we restructured him id take it theyre gonna go all out to re-sign mario

HTown2ATX
Harsh. But true.

"Pancakes" McClain

"Grand Slam" McClain

"Wonderfall" McClain

LMAO....I like that you threw in the Wonderfall hahaha

Seriously though he said that he talked to 'Dre's agent and he said this has not happened. So unless McClain is straight up lying I gotta go with him on this one per what he said on J&R.

This deal could happen, but as of now has not.

Texn4life
03-08-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm really starting to hate McClain. Ok, maybe hate is too strong but this guy is truly getting on my last nerve. He can't stand the fact that some people may have a little more knowledge on the local team than him, and goes out of his way to dispel anything that comes out unless he's the one breaking the story. Its so unprofessional the way his jealousy shows in this regard. Can't wait for the day when he retires and someone else steps in who has a lot less ego.

ChampionTexan
03-08-2012, 04:07 PM
I'm really starting to hate McClain. Ok, maybe hate is too strong but this guy is truly getting on my last nerve. He can't stand the fact that some people may have a little more knowledge on the local team than him, and goes out of his way to dispel anything that comes out unless he's the one breaking the story. Its so unprofessional the way his jealousy shows in this regard. Can't wait for the day when he retires and someone else steps in who has a lot less ego.

So if something's out and out incorrect (Walter's shoulder, Stanford Routt's visit, and it's looking like this one might fit that description), and he's aware of it, what would you like him to do?

michaelm
03-08-2012, 04:09 PM
So if something's out and out incorrect (Walter's shoulder, Stanford Routt's visit, and it's looking like this one might fit that description), and he's aware of it, what would you like him to do?

Is that you, John McClain?

ChampionTexan
03-08-2012, 04:11 PM

Burp!

thunderkyss
03-08-2012, 04:19 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/08/texans-johnson-cowboys-bryant-restructure-contracts/?campaign=Twitter_blogs

Texans’ Johnson, Cowboys’ Bryant restructure contracts: blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/08/tex…

In case he hasn't seen this yet:

Most likely bye bye Mario.

:kitten:

J_R
03-08-2012, 04:19 PM
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/03/08/mcclain-disputes-la-canforas-report-on-andre-johnson/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So John, JLC says Andre contract has been restructured.You have something else to say.

Its not true.

Why?

Under the rules, you cannot extend a contract twice within a fiscal year. You can convert salary signing bonus money and thats what he reported. I talked to Kennard McGuire and he says its not true.

Where does he get this from?

Same place where he said Stanford Routt was visiting the Texans, same place where he said Kevin Walter was out 8-10 weeks(that was ProFootballTalk John:rolleyes:, same place where he said that the Titans were going to franchise Finnegan. I could go on and on.

This is not an isolated incident. Sounds like he lies a lot.

No, they get bad information and they trust people and trust the wrong people.

At what point do you say, I dont take his word for it?

Well I dont. If I hear a report, I check it out with people I trust. Sometimes they're right. The guy right the most is Adam Schefter.

Could this report be premature? That it could happen?

It could be. They have not started negotiations on it. Right now its not done and they're not talkign about it. Nothing done right now. They could do it because the Texans are in the salary cap problem right now because of last year. They were desperate for D help. They pushed money into this year, hoping the cap would go up. The cap is supposedly not going up, and looks like its not going up next year. Every move you make, you have to think ahead. Their goal is, if they cant re-sign Mario, that will give them money to try and avoid Brown, Barwin, Schaub being unrestricted next year. They're trying to look ahead. You still have to re-do some and that is one of the ways. They could do something with him but right now, they're not.

Buy that Manning wants to be in the AFC?

I dont buy it. They're gonna do a deal that best suits them. Miami is a perfect situation. They'll put in how Peyton wants to do it and go from there. Peyton deserves to have his own offense.

Another report says he wants to go where the most money is. When you talk about guaranteed money vs super bowl, wouldnt it be better to take less money to go somewhere where he could win?

You're right. That report is wrong. Peyton got more money than God. How can you guarantee Peyton money right now? You dont know if he can play or throw. We're not talkign about the Peyton of two or three years ago. Peyton will make money but he'll go into a situation that suits him best with the best coaches to get along with and the best talent. If Miami can sign him, they can use the pick on the tackle from Iowa.

What about the Jets?

Media driven. They have a cancerous locker room that I dont see him going there. With all the problems and hype, if they sign him, no telling what Rex would predict. Miami seems to fit Peyton.

Why is it not true - the story from La Canfora?

Because they havent done it.

Expect to hear about them restructing deals?

Yeah, they've already re-done deals to free up money for Arian. They're gonna make Mario an offer to get his attention, probably Monday. They'll be working around the clock to free up money. If they cant get Mario, they want to get everyone else. Considering so many teams are interested in Mario, If Mario takes a couple of weeks and Myers comes and says, look, I have a 4 million dollar a year offer from this team and I dont take it in 24 hours, its going to be gone and they're sitting there hamstrung because they dont know if they'll have that money available. They'll try to sign some guys before they go on the market. I do see Chris Myers back. Im worried about Joel Dreessen because I like him. I think he'll have a chance to go be a starter and at age 31, this will be his last contract. I think he'll end up going somewhere else.

htown2012
03-08-2012, 04:20 PM

To many websites have picked up the rumor and seem to believe jason la canfora also it makes to much sense not to be true it will be confirmed soon and mclain will just say well at the time of jasons tweet it was not done deal yet you'll see

infantrycak
03-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Under the rules, you cannot extend a contract twice within a fiscal year. You can convert salary signing bonus money and thats what he reported. I talked to Kennard McGuire and he says its not true.

Little problem with this assertion. It isn't within one fiscal year. AJ's last contract was signed on 8/5/10. That league year ended March 2011.

Things like this really hurt his credibility:

They have not started negotiations on it. Right now its not done and they're not talkign about it. Nothing done right now.

Not done is one thing. Not even started to talk is quite another - (a) the Texans would be utter fools to not be talking to their big ticket players before free agency starts and (b) really there hasn't been a single discussion but Canfora lays his entire career on the line to just make something up - doesn't make sense.

Texn4life
03-08-2012, 04:32 PM

There have been plenty of instances of McClain debunking something he truly has no idea about. There's one specific example when he was adamant that the Texans weren't talking to or interested in a certain free agent. I happened to be around this free agent when he was talking to his agent about conversations he's been having with Rick Smith. I don't mind situations where something comes out and its simply not true.

But this is the same guy who came out last year and said we won't be signing any big name free agents. Then we sign Joseph and Manning, and he started saying "Well I knew they'd do something". He has a humongous ego. I liked the guy more before the Texans' franchise started.

The Cush
03-08-2012, 04:34 PM
John McClain is trying to educate us on the specifics of contract restructuring when just last off season the only restructuring he knew of was the Denny's menu expanding to include a value section.

Maddict5
03-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Little problem with this assertion. It isn't within one fiscal year. AJ's last contract was signed on 8/5/10. That league year ended March 2011.

Things like this really hurt his credibility:

didnt some players restructure around the time we signed jjoe and manning last yr?

Dutchrudder
03-08-2012, 04:43 PM
didnt some players restructure around the time we signed jjoe and manning last yr?

Yes:
Texans coach Gary Kubiak said after practice today that DeMeco Ryans, Antonio Smith & Andre Johnson have restructured their contracts Aug 2011

http://www.rantsports.com/houston-texans/2011/08/04/in-effort-to-get-under-the-cap-houston-texans-restructure-contracts-of-demeco-ryans-andre-johnson-and-antonio-smith/

bckey
03-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Yes:
Aug 2011

http://www.rantsports.com/houston-texans/2011/08/04/in-effort-to-get-under-the-cap-houston-texans-restructure-contracts-of-demeco-ryans-andre-johnson-and-antonio-smith/

Wouldn't that mean that Andre can't restructure just 6 months later?

Dutchrudder
03-08-2012, 05:27 PM

You can't extend a contract twice in the same year. You can restructure it all you want, assuming the agent/player agree to it.

PapaL
03-08-2012, 05:29 PM
John McClain is trying to educate us on the specifics of contract restructuring when just last off season the only restructuring he knew of was the Denny's menu expanding to include a value section.

Now that is humor. Some rep is in order!

cbs1507
03-08-2012, 05:33 PM

No. because the fiscal year ends March 13th. The fiscal year began late last year because of the lockout, otherwise those guys could have been restructured sooner. Everyone who restructured their deals last year are available to restructure again this year (a new fiscal year). John McClain knows it he is just trying to put up a smokescreen probably via request by the Texans.

You can't extend a contract twice in the same year. You can restructure it all you want, assuming the agent/player agree to it.

No bro a fiscal year is the beginning of an accounting year to the end of it. The beginning of the accounting year was around August last year (due to lockout) and it ends in March. Therefore EVERYONE who got restructured last year is available to restructure again this this year. McClain is just putting up a smokescreen.

bckey
03-08-2012, 05:39 PM
No. because the fiscal year ends March 13th.

So then that would mean that if the La Canfora report is true then it can't be official until after March 13.

cbs1507
03-08-2012, 05:41 PM
So then that would mean that if the La Canfora report is true then it can't be official until after March 13.

Pretty much.

BTW people...DO NOT believe John McClain.

Here is his argument...

JLC's report is false because you cannot restructure a deal twice in the same fiscal year BUT you can convert salary to signing bonus.

Here's why he is WRONG...
The fiscal year ends March 13th. Also a restructure is when you convert salary to signing bonus. But he said you cannot restructure but you can convert salary to signing bonus. MAJOR CONTRADICTION.

It's just a smokescreen.

bckey
03-08-2012, 05:45 PM
I guess we can expect McLaine to put out a story on the restructuring of Andre's contract around that time and claim he knew all along but maintained his sports reporting ethics because the fiscal year had not come to an end yet. Or say he knew about it but he didn't want to report it until then but La Canfora leaked it.

Dutchrudder
03-08-2012, 06:27 PM
No bro a fiscal year is the beginning of an accounting year to the end of it. The beginning of the accounting year was around August last year (due to lockout) and it ends in March. Therefore EVERYONE who got restructured last year is available to restructure again this this year. McClain is just putting up a smokescreen.

Got a source for that? I just skimmed through the salary parts of the CBA and couldn't find anything restricting restructuring contracts. The term 'restructure' doesn't even appear in the document. I don't think there is any limit to the amount of restructuring a team can do.

On a side note, here's something interested I read on page 58 of the CBA. Last year you could borrow up to 3 million in salary cap space from future years as described here:

Club A will receive a "credit" to Team Salary for the 2011 League Year of
$2,000,000 (i.e., an additional $2,000,000 of Room) . If one of those players is released
after the eighth week of the regular season, the "credit" to Team Salary shall be immediately
reduced by $529,000 (9/17ths of $1 ,000,000). Club A shall be charged $ 1 ,471 ,000
(i.e., ($2,000,000-$529,000) to its Team Salary across the 2014-17 League Years in a
manner to be designated by Club A to offset the 201 1 League Year Team Salary credit.)

Well, that money gets sent to 2014-17, which is way into the future and probably won't amount to much then (great deal right?). In 2012 that same thing can still be done, but it's only 1.5 million that can be deferred.

For the 2012 League Year, each Club may designate up to three players
who, as of July 25, 2011 , have five or more Accrued Seasons and are under contract to
the Club on the first day of the 2012 League Year with a Salary of at least $500,000 over
the Minimum Active/Inactive List Salary for such player, for each of whom the Club will
receive a credit to Team Salary for the 2012 League Year of $500,000 provided that the
player is on the Active/Inactive Roster, Reserve/Injured List, or Physically Unable to
Perform List of the Club throughout the 2012 League Year regular season.

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/General/2011_Final_CBA_Searchable.pdf

They really do make this game too complicated for what it is...

Corrosion
03-08-2012, 06:33 PM

Ive been telling you guys for months that they can afford him .... They could probably match any offer MW were to recieve in FA in total money .... Its a matter of will they , not can they.

SW H-TOWN
03-08-2012, 06:33 PM
I could see this money being used to help lock up our bad ass LT. Just don't think we are going to compete with teams in the "Super Mario Sweepstakes" that are already 40 to 60 million under the cap. Some crazy owner will offer him a Julius Peppers contract (6 years 91.5 million, 43 million guaranteed). No way we can or should do that and keep Myers, Barwin, Brown, and Cushing.

cbs1507
03-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Got a source for that? I just skimmed through the salary parts of the CBA and couldn't find anything restricting restructuring contracts. The term 'restructure' doesn't even appear in the document. I don't think there is any limit to the amount of restructuring a team can do.

Bro take that up with John McClain. He's the one who claims we cannot restructure twice in a fiscal year. Sounds like BS to me. But either way the fiscal year will end once 2012 league year begins.

Txn_in_Oki
03-08-2012, 06:46 PM
All I know is this guy better get a ring. He is the ultimate team player and class guy. He's stuck with this franchise through all the bad times and definitely deserves it.

I can't wait for the season to start.

SW H-TOWN
03-08-2012, 06:52 PM
I could see this money being used to help lock up our bad ass LT. Just don't think we are going to compete with teams in the "Super Mario Sweepstakes" that are already 40 to 60 million under the cap. Some crazy owner will offer him a Julius Peppers contract (6 years 91.5 million, 43 million guaranteed). No way we can or should do that and keep Myers, Barwin, Brown, and Cushing.

Maybe we could but we would probably have to let somebody walk (Barwin). I really think that some team will offer Mario a 6 or 7 year contract that will be over 100 million and McNair will say thanks but I am not going to match that. Mario is going to get paid like Fat Albert. Good news is that who is going to say no to restructuring their contract when Andre just did it.

ItsMyFault
03-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Tired of John McClain. Someone needs to send him to The Dallas Morning News where he belongs.

Corrosion
03-08-2012, 06:58 PM

They CAN come up with that type of contract for MW should they choose to.

By the way .... Barwin ,Brown and Cushing arent Free Agents. They will all be Restricted Free Agents next year. The Texans will have little trouble keeping them next season as the cap is expected to jump to somewhere between $180m to $200m and teams are forced to spend at least 90% of that.

Many of the teams wellunder the cap this year may well choose to stay there and put that money in their pockets instead. They dont have to spend 90% of the cap. No reason for bad teams to throw money away if they arent going to get significantly better ..... may as well profit thisyear.

NastyNate
03-08-2012, 07:12 PM

By the way .... Barwin ,Brown and Cushing arent Free Agents. They will all be Restricted Free Agents next year. The Texans will have little trouble keeping them next season as the cap is expected to jump to somewhere between $180m to $200m and teams are forced to spend at least 90% of that.

Many of the teams wellunder the cap this year may well choose to stay there and put that money in their pockets instead. They dont have to spend 90% of the cap. No reason for bad teams to throw money away if they arent going to get significantly better ..... may as well profit thisyear.

you're only getting half of the story. While the cap is expected to be around 180 million, it's not going in one big jump. The leage will bump by around 6-8 million a year until the tv contracts are fully matured in 2018. We're gonna be in cap hell the next few years.

SW H-TOWN
03-08-2012, 07:14 PM

Have to agree to disagree on the $100 million plus contract. I could really see him getting over $110 million and maybe more if he signs an 8 year contract. I believe Julius Peppers was several years older when he signed his 6 year contract. I know that for example Cushing will not be a UFA next year but he Mario's contract will take up a large amount cap space for various years. Brown is going to be a UFA in 2013, Barwin UFA in 2013, Myers UFA this year, and Cushing UFA in 2014. We could restructure and pay a 7 year $100 million or more contract but I just don't think we should given the fact that we were the number 2 defense last year. Mario is a great player and I understand you position, I just don't agree with it.

EllisUnit
03-08-2012, 07:24 PM
you're only getting half of the story. While the cap is expected to be around 180 million, it's not going in one big jump. The leage will bump by around 6-8 million a year until the tv contracts are fully matured in 2018. We're gonna be in cap hell the next few years.

Na i think we will be fine. This team has a lot of young draf picks who are due for a pay day for a while. Schaub dont have much longer on his contract and our potential replacment isnt gonna cost a ton "yates" we will now be rid of Williams big money. We will be just fine.

Maddict5
03-08-2012, 07:29 PM

By the way .... Barwin ,Brown and Cushing arent Free Agents. They will all be Restricted Free Agents next year. .

:kubepalm:

ummm... no they'll be UFA's whenever their contracts are up. theyll all have 4 accrued season (duane will have 5 actually)

mussop
03-08-2012, 07:32 PM

You are pulling this out of your ars. No one knows what next years cap is going to be. Hell have they even decided what this years is going to be? :cheese:

Corrosion
03-08-2012, 07:33 PM

All of the information Ive gathered on the subject points to a significant cap raise for the 2013 season with smaller gains in subsequent seasons thru 2018.

You can expect a cap number in the range of $180m next season.

Have to agree to disagree on the $100 million plus contract. I could really see him getting over $110 million and maybe more if he signs an 8 year contract. I believe Julius Peppers was several years older when he signed his 6 year contract. I know that for example Cushing will not be a UFA next year but he Mario's contract will take up a large amount cap space for various years. Brown is going to be a UFA in 2013, Barwin UFA in 2013, Myers UFA this year, and Cushing UFA in 2014. We could restructure and pay a 7 year $100 million or more contract but I just don't think we should given the fact that we were the number 2 defense last year. Mario is a great player and I understand you position, I just don't agree with it.

I really didnt state a position .... Just stated the fact that should the Texans choose to , they can offer MW that type of contract. Not that they will or that they should ....

I can tell you for a fact that the two sides are working on a deal .... whether that comes to fruition or not .... who knows.

mussop
03-08-2012, 07:33 PM

You have it backwards as usual.

Corrosion
03-08-2012, 07:35 PM

This is correct .....

Texan_Bill
03-08-2012, 07:37 PM

He was a part of the "Hack Pack" which also included Hank Goldberg.

Texan_Bill
03-08-2012, 07:40 PM

By the same token, some players have never recovered from the Linsfranc injury.. It's all a crap shoot G'ma! Which ****ing sucks!!! :pissed: There is no "right" answer and there is no "wrong" answers..

:gun:

srrono
03-08-2012, 07:42 PM
John McClain ‏ @McClain_on_NFL
Agent Kennard McGuire and Texans say Andre Johnson hasn't redone deal to free up cap dollars. I could see it done before Tuesday deadline.

Corrosion
03-08-2012, 07:46 PM
You are pulling this out of your ars. No one knows what next years cap is going to be. Hell have they even decided what this years is going to be? :cheese:

No way to come up with a concrete number for the cap without all the information used to calculate it .... but its also not impossible to form an educated guess as to what range that final number will be ....

Pulling it outa my ass .... no. Using what we know of the CBA and total revenue's to come up with a reasonable estimate .... Yes.

:kubepalm:

ummm... no they'll be UFA's whenever their contracts are up. theyll all have 4 accrued season (duane will have 5 actually)

You are right ... ugh.

bckey
03-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Agent Kennard McGuire and Texans say Andre Johnson hasn't redone deal to free up cap dollars. I could see it done before Tuesday deadline.

McLain is so predictable.

SW H-TOWN
03-08-2012, 07:55 PM

I read incorrectly...

They CAN come up with that type of contract for MW AND THEY SHOULD choose to. I've been staring at this screen for too long. Free agency and the draft get me hyped up, love this time of the year.

Texn4life
03-08-2012, 07:57 PM
McLain is so predictable.

Right!!! Looking at the article it says that "are restructuring their deals" meaning that it is going to happen. McClain is just butt hurt that he didn't come out with it first so he makes it a point to come out and say "No, its not true. It hasn't happened yet". Well La Canfora didn't say it has happened. I know there are McClain supporters here, but he is just turning into a dufus who thinks far too highly of himself. This is just my opinion.

Texan_Bill
03-08-2012, 07:58 PM
You have it backwards as usual.

Who are you to say who has it backwards?? :gun:

SW H-TOWN
03-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Was right about their UFA statuses though, yea :kitten:

steelbtexan
03-08-2012, 08:14 PM
I hope they do. I believe Mario will sign back to win, not for the money.

You just keep on believing that.

LOL

SW H-TOWN
03-08-2012, 08:20 PM

LOL

If that happens I'll be poppin champagne like I won a championship game!

The Cush
03-08-2012, 08:24 PM

Wait what happened to that list of reasons why its not true starting with his "1) Can't restructure twice in a fiscal year". Before Tuesday, wouldn't that still be in the same fiscal year Mr. McClain? What a boob, time to dust off one of my old John McClain jokes...

I love it when he talks about his movie career whenever he's on 610 radio. I heard they are already remaking the movie "Precious", except with a few cultural changes to the characters. McClain is supposedly in the running to be cast as the main character, the one that was originally portrayed by that obese african american girl.

I also love how 610 rolls the red carpet out for this guy despite his constant giving of misinformation, but is quick to try rip Bob Allen and spend hours on air doing so due to some technicality in wording

EllisUnit
03-08-2012, 08:48 PM

LOL

Agree M.W is all about the money. He is not an A.J type player.

drs23
03-08-2012, 08:55 PM

That's contradictory to what he's been quoted as saying, but like I've stated in other threads, "the proof is in the puddin'". I'll hide-N-watch.

b0ng
03-08-2012, 09:06 PM
John McClain gets scooped, retaliates by saying it isn't true and they haven't even talked about it, and then does the ultimate backpedal by saying it'll probably be done tuesday.

How effing worthless can you be.

thunderkyss
03-08-2012, 09:21 PM

When I first heard this rumor, it made sense. Then after thinking about it, why would it gradually increase?

Supposedly it's going to go up because the Owners will be making a lot more money with the new TV deal starting 2014. It's not going to gradually increase, they're going to get their money up front, that year.

Why would the NFLPA allow the owners to nickel & dime them?

GP
03-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Well, apparently there's another blog/Q&A session that John McClain is a part of with the Chronicle. Link here, but I posted the "meat" of the session below:

What about the report by Lewis "Sausage Fingers" Malone that Golden Corral will unveil chicken-fried corn on the cob in April?

John McClain: What do I think about it? Totally bogus. It's still in the trial phase, and won't be ready to roll out to customers until May at the earliest.

How do you know?

McClain: Because I'm on the Trial Committee. Duh. Next question.

Would you ever contemplate actually eating Lewis' fingers if you and Lewis were trapped on a deserted island and had nothing to eat?

McCLain: Ah, a trick question! Depends on if we had any syrup or not.

Is it true you make your own syrup, John, and if so...how?

McClain: Nice try, Lewis. You're not getting my syrup recipe you bastard.

Gravy. Your thoughts?

McClain: Should be part of the food pyramid, no doubt about it. Cream gravy, brown gravy, turkey gravy, gravy with bits of crumbled sausage in it, how can it not be in the food pyramid?

The new Nacho-flavored Doritos taco shell at Taco Bell, will it have staying power?

McClain: Hard to say. Does it have the same consistency as a Nacho Doritos chip or is it just a regular shell with some Nacho Dorito flavor sprayed onto it? Call me skeptical, but I've seen some real doozies in my day when it comes to food fads. I'll need a 10-pack before I can reach a verdict, obviously.

False Start
03-08-2012, 09:31 PM
John McClain gets scooped, retaliates by saying it isn't true and they haven't even talked about it, and then does the ultimate backpedal by saying it'll probably be done tuesday.

Ask this guy:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/rjustice.jpg

Or this guy:

http://cbshouston.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/innes-singing-cropped.jpg?w=300

Dutchrudder
03-08-2012, 09:35 PM

Pretty much. It's like I said in the other thread, John McClain couldn't get the inside scoop on a bowl of ice cream...

If he swam a mile every time he changed his story, he would be the next Michael Phelps.

The only way he breaks news is by sitting on it.

His biggest headline of the year was when he fell asleep on his keyboard.

He achieved the rank of "General" by way of field commission after he ate the rest of the army.

Doppelganger
03-08-2012, 11:39 PM
Pretty much. It's like I said in the other thread, John McClain couldn't get the inside scoop on a bowl of ice cream...

If he swam a mile every time he changed his story, he would be the next Michael Phelps.

The only way he breaks news is by sitting on it.

His biggest headline of the year was when he fell asleep on his keyboard.

He achieved the rank of "General" by way of field commission after he ate the rest of the army.

The only reason he is called "General" is becuase he ate his body weight in General Tso's chicken!!!

Allstar
03-09-2012, 12:02 AM

Really don't see how you can make this claim yet. Mario has done all the right things off the field, and I don't think making a claim like this is justified, just yet. Wait about a week before you say things like this.

welsh texan
03-09-2012, 12:58 AM
I could see how AJ might have agreed to a restructure 'in principal' at this point, so that the contract is ready to be faxed to the league office if the Texans come to terms with Mario (or whoever else they're freeing up money for).

Obviously if they can't come to terms with whoever else they need to to make all the deals work, then its pointless taking a future hit when you could afford it this season.

Anyway, AJ never fails to come through for this team, everything about that guy's contract situation has just oozed class throughout his entire career. And btw, some of these other slimebags would do well to take notice of the way AJ handles his contract situations, because the guy is a very rich man despite managing to do the little things to help the team. Would be nice to see a bit more of that in todays NFL.

ThaShark316
03-09-2012, 01:38 AM

The same dude that NEARLY QUIT THE GAME to help his fam isn't humble?

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2741/yaocmonson.png I can't.

ItsMyFault
03-09-2012, 02:36 AM
lol McClain. What a fat sore loser.

NastyNate
03-09-2012, 02:54 AM
When I first heard this rumor, it made sense. Then after thinking about it, why would it gradually increase?

Supposedly it's going to go up because the Owners will be making a lot more money with the new TV deal starting 2014. It's not going to gradually increase, they're going to get their money up front, that year.

Why would the NFLPA allow the owners to nickel & dime them?

Not a rumor in the slightest. Look at the Fox and CBS contracts then get back to me. They're not increasing nearly 80% in 1 year.

From Bloomberg:

"Rights fees for all three networks will increase by about 6 percent or 7 percent a year, according to three people with knowledge of the talks who were granted anonymity because they weren’t authorized to disclose the terms."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-14/nfl-renews-television-contracts-with-cbs-fox-nbc-networks-through-2022.html

Nate

Malloy
03-09-2012, 03:01 AM
Who are you to say who has it backwards?? :gun:

Who are you to say he isn't ? :)

clutch
03-09-2012, 03:34 AM
so has he restructured his contract or hasn't he?

Premier
03-09-2012, 06:17 AM
i remember how adamant mcclain was last off-season about the texans not having enough money to pursue asomugha... yet he was the main one retweeting la confora and lombardi on news any time the texans made advancements towards aso or joseph..

G27RR
03-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Wait what happened to that list of reasons why its not true starting with his "1) Can't restructure twice in a fiscal year". Before Tuesday, wouldn't that still be in the same fiscal year Mr. McClain? What a boob, time to dust off one of my old John McClain jokes...

Fiscal years (which he should be referring to as "league years" as the CBA does) have nothing to do with it. See section 8 renegotiations and extensions (a) (i)...

"The contract of a veteran player may not be renegotiated to increase the salary to be paid to the player during the original terms of the contract for a period of twelve months after the player's most recent contract renegotiation."

The increase of salary means that under the renegotiation, he can't be paid more overall than he was in his existng contract (when you add all his contracted years together). It doesn't mean you can't restructure the amount per year, or the terms of when and/or how he gets the money. You can move salary and/or convert parts of it to bonus within the remaining length of contract as long as you aren't paying more overall.

Twelve months after the last renegotiation, you can increase the overall salary if you choose to do so. The twelve months rule is regardless of what league year it is or was when th contract was renegotiated. Also, if it is a new contract, renogiation can occur for the first time at any time - you don't have to wait twelve months the first time.

Things you can't do are try to move salary (including bonus) and cap hit to a previously ended league year, renegotiate terms for the current year after the last regular season game, change the terms to expire prior to the end of the league year, etc.

Salary in the CBA includes all things of value given to the player, including base salary (AKA paragraph 5), signing bonuses, roster bonuses, performance incentives, etc.

So, yes, they appear to be well within the rules to restructure Andre's contract the way it was reported by NFL Network.

thunderkyss
03-09-2012, 09:18 AM
That's contradictory to what he's been quoted as saying, but like I've stated in other threads, "the proof is in the puddin'". I'll hide-N-watch.

I don't know.

As has been said, the Texans should have done something with Mario's contract last year. They didn't. We don't know why, but I believe it was because Mario wasn't having it.

His contract was back loaded & he had no signing bonus. Redoing the contract would ruin the avg salary earned over the first 5 years of the contract. By insisting to finish out his contract, he averaged 9M/yr. Had they redone the contract he would have effectively been paid $7.2M a year, which is not in line with what first overall picks have been paid in the past.

This is completely conjecture on my part, but if I were Mario Williams that's what I would have done. I would also think I earned $9M/yr & would expect to be paid in the $13M/yr range going forward. Getting that number down for cap purposes is Rick Smith's job.

So I would be looking for the ability to earn $40M in the first three years. I don't care if it's in signing bonus, roster bonus, or even incentive based (but the incentives are going to have to be more than reasonable. 10 sacks, games played, lead the team in sacks or something along those lines).

ATRAIN
03-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Offseason is fun and makes me sick to my stomach all at the same time. Free Agency begins on my bday. Foster re-signing was a early bday present and I hope the Texans give me Myers and Mario (at a good price) and no Manning.

badboy
03-10-2012, 05:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7353238/nfl-re-ups-tv-pacts-expand-thursday-schedule

CBS, Fox and NBC renewed their contracts for nine years through the 2022 season, the NFL announced Wednesday. The average fees from the three networks will increase by an average of 7 percent annually, a person familiar with the details said. That will take the total revenue from them from the current $1.93 billion per year to $3.1 billion by 2022.

The current agreements expire after the 2013 season.

NastyNate
03-10-2012, 09:09 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7353238/nfl-re-ups-tv-pacts-expand-thursday-schedule

CBS, Fox and NBC renewed their contracts for nine years through the 2022 season, the NFL announced Wednesday. The average fees from the three networks will increase by an average of 7 percent annually, a person familiar with the details said. That will take the total revenue from them from the current $1.93 billion per year to $3.1 billion by 2022.

The current agreements expire after the 2013 season.

I've been saying the same thing, it's not going to go up 80 million in one year. It will be a gradual bump each year.

cbs1507
03-10-2012, 09:48 PM
I've been saying the same thing, it's not going to go up 80 million in one year. It will be a gradual bump each year.

Okay. But what's your point? If somebody averages 20 PPG do they score 20 points EVERY game? No. So why is it far fetched to believe it can jump substantially one year, and then gradually rise thereafter?

NastyNate
03-11-2012, 04:59 AM
Not a rumor in the slightest. Look at the Fox and CBS contracts then get back to me. They're not increasing nearly 80% in 1 year.

From Bloomberg:

"Rights fees for all three networks will increase by about 6 percent or 7 percent a year, according to three people with knowledge of the talks who were granted anonymity because they weren’t authorized to disclose the terms."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-14/nfl-renews-television-contracts-with-cbs-fox-nbc-networks-through-2022.html

Nate

Okay. But what's your point? If somebody averages 20 PPG do they score 20 points EVERY game? No. So why is it far fetched to believe it can jump substantially one year, and then gradually rise thereafter?

There ya go.

ObsiWan
03-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Well, apparently there's another blog/Q&A session that John McClain is a part of with the Chronicle. Link here, but I posted the "meat" of the session below:

What about the report by Lewis "Sausage Fingers" Malone that Golden Corral will unveil chicken-fried corn on the cob in April?

John McClain: What do I think about it? Totally bogus. It's still in the trial phase, and won't be ready to roll out to customers until May at the earliest.

How do you know?

Would you ever contemplate actually eating Lewis' fingers if you and Lewis were trapped on a deserted island and had nothing to eat?

Gravy. Your thoughts?

McClain: Should be part of the food pyramid, no doubt about it. Cream gravy, brown gravy, turkey gravy, gravy with bits of crumbled sausage in it, how can it not be in the food pyramid?

The new Nacho-flavored Doritos taco shell at Taco Bell, will it have staying power?

McClain: Hard to say. Does it have the same consistency as a Nacho Doritos chip or is it just a regular shell with some Nacho Dorito flavor sprayed onto it? Call me skeptical, but I've seen some real doozies in my day when it comes to food fads. I'll need a 10-pack before I can reach a verdict, obviously.

Hey, give the guy a break.... I'm rather impressed that McClain is still on the job and not someplace curled up into a fetal ball after this disturbing news...

Twinkies maker Hostess Inc. files for bankruptcy (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162-57356776/twinkies-maker-hostess-inc-files-for-bankruptcy/)
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQovFesRbjSJSRqEuAZnPkoe5jvxjuzs 9pku5zsjI_1hGs3P0wS

Corrosion
03-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Hey, give the guy a break.... I'm rather impressed that McClain is still on the job and not someplace curled up into a fetal ball after this disturbing news...

I kinda wish he would go hide somewhere curled up in the fetal position and take Anna Megan with him .... both are worthless as "Journalists".

Houston has to have the absolute worst sports coverage in the nation for such a large market.

Then again , both the Texans and Rockets play their cards close to the vest and dont leak any info prior to things actually happening .... If you dont have an inside vine , you dont know sh@t ....and Mclain has no inside line to the Texans. He's good for nothing but opinion at this point ... VY anyone ? :rake:

badboy
03-11-2012, 09:29 PM
I kinda wish he would go hide somewhere curled up in the fetal position and take Anna Megan with him .... both are worthless as "Journalists".

Houston has to have the absolute worst sports coverage in the nation for such a large market.

Then again , both the Texans and Rockets play their cards close to the vest and dont leak any info prior to things actually happening .... If you dont have an inside vine , you dont know sh@t ....and Mclain has no inside line to the Texans. He's good for nothing but opinion at this point ... VY anyone ? :rake:I think he lost whatever inside info when he criticised Texans so harshly for drafting Mario. I think he's suffering from payback.

Corrosion
03-11-2012, 09:36 PM
I think he lost whatever inside info when he criticised Texans so harshly for drafting Mario. I think he's suffering from payback.

He never had any inside ties to the Texans orginization .... His inside vine left with the Oilers.

steelbtexan
03-11-2012, 09:54 PM
The reason Justice cried so bad Riley got fired is that BoB/Gary/Rick let go of the only guy that let the organizations secrets get out to the lazy media types.

infantrycak
03-11-2012, 09:57 PM
I think he lost whatever inside info when he criticised Texans so harshly for drafting Mario. I think he's suffering from payback.

I don't think it was that. I think it was the regime change. Look at his articles prior to Kubiak's arrival and see the number of "sources with the team" type of statements he made. Then look at them now and if it isn't a direct quote from someone he has jack. Maybe Mario played a role in that dynamic but I think Kubiak just doesn't like to show his cards unless he believes it to be to his advantage. He won't stooge up and leak a little friendly info the way Casserly would.

Texan_Bill
03-11-2012, 10:02 PM
The fact that people are discussing "McLame", "McFat", "McIrrelevant" is a amazing to me. The next time he's right about something will be the first time.

Corrosion
03-11-2012, 10:07 PM
I don't think it was that. I think it was the regime change. Look at his articles prior to Kubiak's arrival and see the number of "sources with the team" type of statements he made. Then look at them now and if it isn't a direct quote from someone he has jack. Maybe Mario played a role in that dynamic but I think Kubiak just doesn't like to show his cards unless he believes it to be to his advantage. He won't stooge up and leak a little friendly info the way Casserly would.

Smith & Kubiak both operate in this way .... Its seldom advantageous to show your hand anyway.

Just take a look at how hush hush things were on the Foster deal until it was actually signed sealed and delivered.

Mr teX
03-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Smith & Kubiak both operate in this way .... Its seldom advantageous to show your hand anyway.

Just take a look at how hush hush things were on the Foster deal until it was actually signed sealed and delivered.

Yeah, Zierlein early last year was all over R. Smith essentially b/c Smith doesn't interact with the media too much except when he has to.....then i remember he was saying he had like a sit down dinner meeting with him (or something like that) & he's for the most part done a 180 on the whole subject.

None of these media types have any real connection to the FO. honestly all of us are better off to our own devices than listening to these guys.

Corrosion
03-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Yeah, Zierlein early last year was all over R. Smith essentially b/c Smith doesn't interact with the media too much except when he has to.....then i remember he was saying he had like a sit down dinner meeting with him (or something like that) & he's for the most part done a 180 on the whole subject.

None of these media types have any real connection to the FO. honestly all of us are better off to our own devices than listening to these guys.

There are multiple people here on TT who have inside ties to the team .... Dont ask me who cause Im not at liberty to say .... But if you pay close attention , you'll figure it out on your own.

Its very safe to say that none of the Houston Media have those ties ..... :nolisten:

Mike77015
03-12-2012, 08:58 AM
I think there are a few on this board that have ties to the organization. This board and other message boards are used as a measuring stick on certain subjects that they would like public opinion on. Someone log on as an anonymous poster and say I heard a rumor and let the ball roll from there.

Marcus
03-12-2012, 09:17 AM
There are multiple people here on TT who have inside ties to the team .... Dont ask me who cause Im not at liberty to say .... But if you pay close attention , you'll figure it out on your own.

But different people will come to different conclusions as to who really knows the skinny and who doesn't.

One thing I've learned about rumors, the ones that are talking, don't know . . . and the ones who know . . . ain't talking.

HTown2ATX
03-12-2012, 09:34 AM

How do you know?

Gravy. Your thoughts?

LMFAO....this made me chuckle nicely this morning! Much needed

thunderkyss
03-12-2012, 11:09 AM
The fact that people are discussing "McLame", "McFat", "McIrrelevant" is a amazing to me. The next time he's right about something will be the first time.

From everything I've heard, he was instrumental in getting Warren Moon into the hall of fame. For that, I will always respect the man.

NitroGSXR
03-12-2012, 11:23 AM
DBut different people will come to different conclusions as to who really knows the skinny and who doesn't.

One thing I've learned about rumors, the ones that are talking, don't know . . . and the ones who know . . . ain't talking.

True story...

I bumped into Charles Woodson when he was a touted free agent in 2006. He was here in Houston. I, of course, was HAPPY to see him here as I thought it meant he was potentially signing with us. Well... after a while, I finally asked him... who are you signing with? He said Tampa Bay. I repeated myself to him as I always do. He confirmed a few times. *Tampa Bay*. I went and posted this info on a message board that I used to frequent. ****er signed with Green Bay a few days later. Out came the Deaf jokes and I was mocked... but I maintain to this day... he said Tampa Bay. He purposely deceived me or was simply leaning the most towards Tampa Bay.

Moral is? If there's no ink on the contract... it ain't so.

So yeah... I'm with you... the ones who know ain't talking.

beerlover
03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
D

True story...

I bumped into Charles Woodson when he was a touted free agent in 2006. He was here in Houston. I, of course, was HAPPY to see him here as I thought it meant he was potentially signing with us. Well... after a while, I finally asked him... who are you signing with? He said Tampa Bay. I repeated myself to him as I always do. He confirmed a few times. *Tampa Bay*. I went and posted this info on a message board that I used to frequent. ****er signed with Green Bay a few days later. Out came the Deaf jokes and I was mocked... but I maintain to this day... he said Tampa Bay. He purposely deceived me or was simply leaning the most towards Tampa Bay.

maybe he meant to say Green Bay?

NitroGSXR
03-12-2012, 11:31 AM

Nope. I remain firm that he said Tampa. Like I said, it's why the Deaf jokes poured out. At the time, in the papers, rumors were swirling that he was going to sign with Tampa Bay.

GP
03-12-2012, 11:32 AM
D

True story...

Good story, Nitro!

I think he was deceiving you...in case you were somehow able to leak the info to the media. He should have not said anything at all, IMO, to be smart and not risk the news getting out and it causing a problem with Tampa Bay OR Green Bay.

Thanks for sharing the story, though. That was cool.

thunderkyss
03-12-2012, 12:13 PM
D

True story...

lmao...... PRICELESS....

Good story, Nitro!

I think he was deceiving you...in case you were somehow able to leak the info to the media. He should have not said anything at all, IMO, to be smart and not risk the news getting out and it causing a problem with Tampa Bay OR Green Bay.

Thanks for sharing the story, though. That was cool.

Why would he want to deceive him? Why wouldn't he want it out in the media? That's how these contracts are negotiated.

"Hey, I heard this guy in Texas say he's signing with Tampa Bay."

Ted Thompson, "Well hell, tell him we'll guarantee more money."

It could happen.

NitroGSXR
03-12-2012, 12:22 PM
lmao...... PRICELESS....

Why would he want to deceive him? Why wouldn't he want it out in the media? That's how these contracts are negotiated.

"Hey, I heard this guy in Texas say he's signing with Tampa Bay."

Ted Thompson, "Well hell, tell him we'll guarantee more money."

It could happen.

If you had to ask me... I think Woodson himself believed he was going to Tampa Bay. If the ink ain't dry...

ThaShark316
03-12-2012, 06:55 PM
@MarkBermanFox26: The Texans reworked contract of receiver Andre Johnson for the 2012 season. His $7.5 million salary now guaranteed, which creates cap space.

John McClain LOST.

Allstar
03-12-2012, 07:02 PM
John McClain ‏ @McClain_on_NFL: Texans saved $5.2 million on Andre Johnson restructure. And I have to give credit to Jason La Canfora for being first on that one.

:spit:

tak3ov3r
03-12-2012, 07:02 PM
John McClain‏@McClain_on_NFLReply

Texans saved $5.2 million on Andre Johnson restructure. And I have to give credit to Jason La Canfora for being first on that one.

LoLol

False Start
03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
John McClain ‏ @McClain_on_NFL: Texans saved $5.2 million on Andre Johnson restructure. And I have to give credit to Jason La Canfora for being first on that one.

Saw this on Clutchfans

http://i.qkme.me/36k70f.jpg

The Cush
03-12-2012, 07:04 PM

On 610 radio McClain said it saved 6.5 million! Freakin Pancakes

Kimmy
03-12-2012, 09:43 PM
OMG someone please tell me they just heard the "only a fantasy football player" caller on 610 suggesting we just "cut Andre Johnson".

I almost chocked ...