PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning Derby (Signs with Broncos)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Texan Asylum
03-07-2012, 06:21 AM
I sure like hearing others speak well of our team. It sure is nice!

Peyton Manning derby: Ranking 12 potential landing spots for QB’s services

Here’s the Dirty Dozen:

1. Houston Texans: I know there was a report a few weeks ago from the Houston Chronicle’s highly reliable John McClain that Manning to the Texans is “not going to happen.” But it should, and I believe the franchise’s powerbrokers (owner Bob McNair, general manager Rick Smith and head coach Gary Kubiak) are smart enough to give the idea strong consideration. The Texans have everything Manning could possibly want: A terrific defense; a premier running back (Arian Foster); an elite receiver (Andre Johnson) and other dangerous targets; an exceptional offensive line; a fabulous stadium with a roof; and a seemingly weak division that, oh yeah, happens to include the Colts. This team is a Super Bowl contender with Matt Schaub under center; if Manning is healthy and able to regain his throwing touch, I think the Texans are Super Bowl favorites. Schaub, while accomplished, has been injury-prone and has struggled against top-notch competition. He turns 31 in June and has missed five or more games in three of his five seasons as the Texans’ starter, along with failing to finish several other starts (Sage Rosenfels closed out four games in 2007). Houston could free up approximately $7 million of cap space by cutting Schaub, which would give the franchise a nice start toward making a deal with Manning work financially for both sides. Granted, this would be a risk, but, worst-case scenario, Smith and Kubiak are high on T.J. Yates, who filled in as a rookie for the injured Schaub and led Houston to its first-ever playoff victory in January. If the Texans take the leap of faith, Manning should jump at the opportunity...

Click here for the rest of the story. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-peyton_manning_colts_ranking_new_teams_030612)

JVL713
03-07-2012, 08:08 AM
We were just mentioned as a dark horse on Mike & Mike in the Morning, but Adam Schefter said it would most likely come down to the Redskins, Jets, Dolphins, and another team i can't seem to remember...

They even mentioned us trading Schaub to someone like the Redskins for two second rounders or even a first.

I'd be more than thrilled to have Peyton as a Texan but I don't want to get my hopes up

b0ng
03-07-2012, 08:14 AM
"The Chronicle's highly reliable John McClain"

I stopped reading right there.

MistaRed
03-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Damn I want this to happen.

srrono
03-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Disclaimer: Never will Happen

Wouldn't be crazy if the Jags claimed Manning off waviers.
New owner
team with a history of bad ticket sales
Gabbert is garbage
Jag def is good and have a run game

JVL713
03-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Mike & Mike also saying they think Reggie Wayne will follow Peyton wherever he goes, we would be fools not to consider this

El Tejano
03-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Just throw the money at Reggie Wayne.

DonnyMost
03-07-2012, 08:40 AM
I really hope that guy isn't listing those in order of likeliness.

If I had to bet, I'd say he's Miami bound.

QFT

amazing80
03-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Id love this idea. On the other site I post at, I mentioned this weeks ago and they BASHED ME lol.....weird to see how from one site to another the Texans fan have different opinions

Grams
03-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Disclaimer: Never will Happen

New owner
team with a history of bad ticket sales
Gabbert is garbage
Jag def is good and have a run game

Manning will not hit waivers, once the Colts let him go - he is a free agent and can sign with any team he wants.

Thorn
03-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Manning is not coming to Houston. God I'll be glad when this crap is over with and he's signed with someone.

Kaiser Toro
03-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Fun, for some, to talk about. But not going to happen.

Playoffs
03-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Manning is not coming to Houston. God I'll be glad when this crap is over with and he's signed with someone.Agreed.

Or let's bring him in. First practice let Mario & Barwin meet-in-the-middle and make a Manning sandwich knocking him out of the league for good. Release him paying the minimum, and move on.

BullNation4Life
03-07-2012, 09:07 AM
I love how talking heads try a justify why Manning wouldn't be a good fit in Houston because he doesn't roll out and use play action...

THEN they roll video footage of Manning... DOING EXACTLY WHAT THEY SAY HE CAN'T DO! About 5-6 clips were play action and 2 were him rolling out.

People are telling me Matt Schaub can do something Peyton Manning can't is very, very hard to believe.

the ONLY 2 reason this will not happen is...

1: Kubiak's ego will never let Manning's ego run the offense

2: money

otherwise Manning should already be signed, in a Texans uniform and Schaub traded. I would MUCH rather Yates or whom ever the future is, learning under one of the best QB in the history of the NFL rather a mediocre noodle arm that can barely stay healthy...

BUT that's just me...

Texan_Bill
03-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Manning is not coming to Houston. God I'll be glad when this crap is over with and he's signed with someone.

NO FREAKIN' doubt!!!

BullNation4Life
03-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Agreed.

Or let's bring him in. First practice let Mario & Barwin meet-in-the-middle and make a Manning sandwich knocking him out of the league for good. Release him paying the minimum, and move on.

:kubepalm::wadepalm::vincepalm::toropalm:

If I could put more, I would...Teams in high school don't let defenses hit the QB in practice...

ckhouston
03-07-2012, 09:30 AM

Yes it would be amazing, because he isnt on waivers.

DonnyMost
03-07-2012, 09:39 AM
If I could put more, I would...Teams in high school don't let defenses hit the QB in practice...

I think you missed the point...

Dutchrudder
03-07-2012, 09:39 AM

lol, was about to say the same thing...

Waivers only comes into play for players who have less than 4 seasons accrued, or when any player is cut/released during the regular season, but after the trade deadline.

Some guys that were on waivers recently were Randy Moss after being cut by the Vikings, Jason Allen released by the Dolphins and claimed by Texans, Kyle Orton was released by the Broncos this season and claimed by the Chiefs.

Ryan
03-07-2012, 10:02 AM
:kubepalm::wadepalm::vincepalm::toropalm:

or even the more amazing part in which he thinks Mario will be in a Texans uniform. :wadepalm:

J_R
03-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Mort(ensen) on SC: Serious contenders?

All the teams you've heard. Dolphins, Redskins, Seattle, KC, Arizona. I do believe the most interesting franchise would be the Texans. We have no indications that they're interested. They do have Matt Schaub, butt he is coming off injury and only has one year left on his deal. That is a team that will be popular pick to be in contention next year. That will be very important to Manning. A team that has a chance to win a super bowl.

Adam Schefter on Mike & Mike:

I think teams will be jockeying for position immediately. I think this process will move quickly. I think Peyton wants to get this wrapped up sooner rather than later. And my guess would be by the time FA starts Tuesday, that this is done by then and Peyton has a new home and new team and is off the market by then.

How significant in Peyton's decision do you think guaranteed money will be?

I dont think it will drive the decision at all. Money helps show interest in you but when it comes down to it for Peyton Manning, he is going to want to be in a spot in which he feels most confident he can win. Period. Any team that gets Manning, that team becomes an automatic contender for that division title and a super bowl contender in my mind.

Wild card team?

You have to watch, I dont think its feasible but, what happens in San Francisco with Smith? What happens with Denver? Kansas City may take a run at him. Sleeper teams like that but this boils down to 4 teams: Miami, Washington, Arizona, NY Jets. I believe he'll choose the place he believes gives him the best chance to win. Those are the 4 teams to monitor and watch.

Houston? I know they have Schaub but he has a history of being injury prone and only has 1 year left. If they call me, thats the first call I'm answering.

That's a great outside the box thought. If I were the Texans, I would say, ok let me shop Matt Schaub. Matt Schaub worked with Kyle Shanahan in Houston, Shanahan, the Redskins OC. Let me see if I can get a deal done with Peyton, and trade Schaub to Washington for a couple of twos, which is what you gave up for him. Maybe get a first round pick for him. To me, thats an outside the box thought. Thats the way New York Jets should think. Trade Mark Sanchez to someone like Pete Carroll, his college coach, for a one, two twos, you pick the compensation. Now you've loaded up on picks and get Peyton Manning at QB. But its not going to happen in Houston. The Texans will not be a player as much sense as that might make. That will not happen. Take them out of the equation. Take Tennessee out of the equation. Take teams that there is some logic to that wont work in this particular case and come back to the four teams we laid out. Miami, Washington, Jets, Arizona. Each team can make a compelling argument but it will be fascinating to see how this turns down to go after a QB, from every indication of people who work out with him, that believe hes back. That hes Peyton Manning and he is on the market. You can get him for free. Not like RG3 where you trade up picks.

GP
03-07-2012, 10:19 AM

Yep.

1. Kubiak is loyal. LOYAL. He won't do this because it would appear that, to his players, that he will give up on them and go get the cutest new thing on the market. It's patently outside of his character and historical nature.

2. McNair is not a risk taker. Giving up 2 2's for Schaub was as risky as McNair ever wants to get, and even THAT came off the heels of giving Carr one last ride with Kubiak for a whole season. Acquiring Manning presents awkward logistics and marketing "woes" that he doesn't want to gamble on right now. And then what happens when Manning goes all Ahman Green on us? WE have to turn him out to pasture and WE are the ones that look silly for giving him his last chance. It's not in McNair's blood to do this sort of thing.

3. Manning + Kubiak + Offense = Conflict. Yeah, yeah, people say Kubiak could work with Manning just fine. Really? At this stage, I don't think Kubiak wants to let anybody but Kubiak be "the guy" who calls the plays and runs the risk on said plays.

4. Money. Four or Five teams out there will bid up Manning, IMO. They'll make him overpriced.

TheCD
03-07-2012, 10:25 AM

I wouldn't put it past the Jags to put in a waiver claim on him anyways.

GP
03-07-2012, 10:28 AM
My pick is the Jets.

They hated being a suck team in 2011 and then watching the Giants win the SB.

So they have to dump Sanchez to some poor team like the Jags or the Seahawks, and then add the other Manning to compete with Eli for headlines and media space.

This is a move tailor-made for the Jets. The only thing that would stop it is if Peyton feels so disgusted with the character of Rex Ryan that he can't see himself working with that guy.

ChampionTexan
03-07-2012, 10:31 AM

If the writer himself is to be believed, he is not.
Michael Silver ‏ @MikeSilver

For those who didn't actually, you know, read the column: I ranked the teams by where peyton SHOULD sign, not where he will...
9:23 AM - 7 Mar 12 via Twitter for BlackBerry® · Details

Big Lou
03-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Tell you what the Colts were extremely shrewd when it came to Paytons contract from what I can tell. With a $90 million contract, and a player about to be cut you'd think that Indy would be in Cap Hell, but with Manning hurt I just read the Colts are only on the hook for $1 million in 2012. The whole deal hinged on that $28 million option. I'm impressed with what they did, and although they sucked last year and are going into the rebuilding mode they handling Mannings contract well and lucked out with the timing of his inury situation.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-09/peyton-manning/story/indianapolis-colts-protected-financially-if-peyton-manning-cant-play

The1ApplePie
03-07-2012, 10:52 AM
I love how talking heads try a justify why Manning wouldn't be a good fit in Houston because he doesn't roll out and use play action...

THEN they roll video footage of Manning... DOING EXACTLY WHAT THEY SAY HE CAN'T DO! About 5-6 clips were play action and 2 were him rolling out.

People are telling me Matt Schaub can do something Peyton Manning can't is very, very hard to believe.

otherwise Manning should already be signed, in a Texans uniform and Schaub traded. I would MUCH rather Yates or whom ever the future is, learning under one of the best QB in the history of the NFL rather a mediocre noodle arm that can barely stay healthy...

BUT that's just me...

Matt is much better at getting hurt than Peyton.:goodluck:

1bigfan13
03-07-2012, 10:52 AM

If I had to bet, I'd say he's Miami bound.

QFT

I feel the same way.

They have some nice pieces at the skill positions plus when you factor in the revenge factor, Miami plays at Indy next season.

cuppacoffee
03-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Arizona Cardinals.

They were burned by the decision to trade for former Eagles backup Kevin Kolb last offseason, but at least they get an escape clause after one disappointing, $12 million year. Recent history also tells us the Cardinals were very happy about the decision to add Kurt Warner late in his career, to the tune of a Super Bowl XLIII appearance. So in Flynn vs. Manning, it’s no surprise they would side with Peyton. They nearly got to the playoffs with John Skelton as the starting quarterback, so they should be dreaming of how far they can get with a healthy Manning. Arizona also has a lot to offer Manning: It’s a low-profile, warm-weather, indoor-stadium destination, and he would inherit a pretty good go-to guy in Larry Fitzgerald.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-03-06/the-ripple-effect-of-the-indianapolis-colts-decision-to-release-peyton-manning?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl15%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D141387

Makes sense to me.

:coffee:

blanco2424
03-07-2012, 11:01 AM
We don't need him here and over pay for damaged goods. That kind of injury you just don't know the effects on a guy. Rick would be better going to the boats in Lake Charles!

GP
03-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Arizona Cardinals.

They were burned by the decision to trade for former Eagles backup Kevin Kolb last offseason, but at least they get an escape clause after one disappointing, $12 million year. Recent history also tells us the Cardinals were very happy about the decision to add Kurt Warner late in his career, to the tune of a Super Bowl XLIII appearance. So in Flynn vs. Manning, it’s no surprise they would side with Peyton. They nearly got to the playoffs with John Skelton as the starting quarterback, so they should be dreaming of how far they can get with a healthy Manning. Arizona also has a lot to offer Manning: It’s a low-profile, warm-weather, indoor-stadium destination, and he would inherit a pretty good go-to guy in Larry Fitzgerald.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-03-06/the-ripple-effect-of-the-indianapolis-colts-decision-to-release-peyton-manning?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl15%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D141387

Makes sense to me.

:coffee:

You might be right. I can envision him in that jersey. Dome stadium too. The divisional rivals are 49ers, Seahawks and Rams. That would look enticing if I'm Manning and choosing my destiny.

Hardcore Texan
03-07-2012, 11:07 AM

Yup, not gonna happen, I have been tired of hearing about it since this talk started.

Lucky
03-07-2012, 11:11 AM
I do believe the most interesting franchise would be the Texans. We have no indications that they're interested.
That's because they're not interested. Manning is not coming to Houston unless he's in a visitors uniform. This will come down to the Jets and the Dolphins. My money is on the Jets.

MistaRed
03-07-2012, 11:13 AM
I wonder how it would go over with the guys in the locker room if they cut Schaub to get Peyton.

michaelm
03-07-2012, 11:17 AM
We don't need him here and over pay for damaged goods. That kind of injury you just don't know the effects on a guy. Rick would be better going to the boats in Lake Charles!

In response to the bolded, I don't think that is an accurate statement.

If I understand correctly, as long as the nerve in his neck regenerates, there aren't really any risks to further injury compared to an un-repaired neck.
The repair itself is not the question with Manning, it's whether he regains arm strength or not.

Maybe CnD can chime in here to elaborate further? (I'm sure CnD has posted his opinion on this, but haven't searched for it. If I have a chance, i'll see if I can find anything).

Texan_Bill
03-07-2012, 11:21 AM
In response to the bolded, I don't think that is an accurate statement.

If I understand correctly, as long as the nerve in his neck regenerates, there aren't really any risks to further injury compared to an un-repaired neck.The repair itself is not the question with Manning, it's whether he regains arm strength or not.

Maybe CnD can chime in here to elaborate further? (I'm sure CnD has posted his opinion on this, but haven't searched for it. If I have a chance, i'll see if I can find anything).

In response to the bolded, I don't think that's an accurate statement.

Signed,

Four Neck Surgeries

;)

The1ApplePie
03-07-2012, 11:24 AM
I wonder how it would go over with the guys in the locker room if they cut Schaub to get Peyton.

Considering how many players on different teams are already throwing their QB under the bus for Peyton, it might not be a mad reaction.

b0ng
03-07-2012, 11:29 AM
If I was Peyton I'd be trying to get san francisco interested in my services.

Stemp
03-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Yup, not gonna happen, I have been tired of hearing about it since this talk started.

Same here. Not sure why people are willing to mortgage the future to take a huge risk on a guy coming off major surgery. If Manning isn't 100% by the start of the season or doesn't play like the Peyton of old, all these same people will be blasting the front office for signing him.

DonnyMost
03-07-2012, 11:35 AM
If I was Peyton I'd be trying to get san francisco interested in my services.

Peyton will probably take a long, hard look at SF. But I don't think they can give him enough money, nor do I think Harbaugh and Manning will be a good fit.

Miami, other than being in the same division as the Patriots, seems to be a perfect fit. Tons of money to throw around, a good offensive line, and talented young skill players. The defense needs help in some areas, but they did a commendable job last year with their QB situation hamstringing them so badly. Plus Manning would be given full control of that offense by Philbin.

michaelm
03-07-2012, 11:36 AM
In response to the bolded, I don't think that's an accurate statement.

Signed,

Four Neck Surgeries

;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't several of those surgeries failed attempts to correct the same injury?
IIRC, he had three surgeries all related to his disc problem. The first two were, in part, performed in an attempt to avoid the cervical fusion surgery that was eventually necessary because the previous two surgeries didn't correct the problem.

I think three surgeries were done for the same injury, in order (IIRC):

1) Bulging disk
2) Herniated disk
3) Cervical fusion

Playoffs
03-07-2012, 11:38 AM
I think you missed the point...Indeed, thank you. Literalism. http://www.huskermax.com/vbbs/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

I don't think Peyton is interested in the dog & pony show that is the NY Jets. Miami looks best bet to me, although it would be interesting to see him & Wayne in Arizona with Larry Fitz ... scary passing numbers. But hate to see Kolb tossed aside.

michaelm
03-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Indeed, thank you. Literalism. http://www.huskermax.com/vbbs/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

Indeed. One of my favorite isms...

ckhouston
03-07-2012, 11:49 AM

They would probably think it was great to finally have a leader at QB.

Dutchrudder
03-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Peyton will probably take a long, hard look at SF. But I don't think they can give him enough money, nor do I think Harbaugh and Manning will be a good fit.

Miami, other than being in the same division as the Patriots, seems to be a perfect fit. Tons of money to throw around, a good offensive line, and talented young skill players. The defense needs help in some areas, but they did a commendable job last year with their QB situation hamstringing them so badly. Plus Manning would be given full control of that offense by Philbin.

A Dolphins beat writer claims they have 14 million in cap space for 2012. That might be enough to get Peyton, but him alone does not make that team very competitive.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2012/02/nfl-salary-cap-crunching-the-2012-numbers.html

According to John Clayton, the 49ers have 39 million in capspace including 2011 rollover, but not including Ahmad Brooks' new deal (8 mill cap hit this year iirc). Plenty of space to get Manning, Wayne, and more. They could re-sign Alex Smith as a backup too. SF is a much better spot as they have a top 5 defense already (need to re-sign or replace Carlos Rodgers though), an excellent TE in VD, a pretty good run game, and a good O-line. They could use some WR help, but if Wayne comes along, having Crabtree as a #2 would probably work out. Seems like a much more ideal spot to me.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7570116/nfl-plenty-cap-room-improve

Playoffs
03-07-2012, 11:57 AM
According to John Clayton, the 49ers have 39 million in capspace including 2011 rollover, but not including Ahmad Brooks' new deal (8 mill cap hit this year iirc). Plenty of space to get Manning, Wayne, and more. They could re-sign Alex Smith as a backup too. SF is a much better spot as they have a top 5 defense already (need to re-sign or replace Carlos Rodgers though), an excellent TE in VD, a pretty good run game, and a good O-line. They could use some WR help, but if Wayne comes along, having Crabtree as a #2 would probably work out. Seems like a much more ideal spot to me.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7570116/nfl-plenty-cap-room-improveAgree. But I thought the Niners weren't interested?

Dutchrudder
03-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Agree. But I thought the Niners weren't interested?

I haven't heard anything from Harbaugh or the organization. Post it if you got something. Yesterday Jerry Rice gave his thoughts on it:

erry Rice, who has some experience with Hall of Fame quarterbacks, wants to see Peyton Manning barking instructions, making hand signals and flinging passes in a 49ers uniform.

Rice was dressed for golf Tuesday in Hayward, where he appeared to promote next month’s Nationwide Tour event at TPC Stonebrae. He also offered his thoughts on several football matters – including the possibility, however remote, of the 49ers pursuing Manning in free agency.

“I think you go for it, you really do,” Rice said in an interview with The Chronicle and the Bay Area News Group. “You have to go after him. You’ve got a defense that’s going to smack you in the mouth, but you need a little more from the offense.

“Not knocking what Alex Smith did … but a guy with the knowledge and talent of Peyton Manning, I think you’d take it to a whole different level. If he’s healthy, he’s going to have a chip on his shoulder like crazy. He’s going to be pissed.”

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/03/07/jerry-rice-49ers-should-pursue-peyton-manning/

Texan_Bill
03-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Um, um, um, um...........

My Jim Irsay impersonation.

b0ng
03-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Watching Peyton Manning hold back tears at his press conference.

Kinda sad :(

Big Lou
03-07-2012, 12:20 PM
I hope Manning doesn't go to Miami. I would like to have the best shot at keeping or winning streak against the Phins!!!!

Big Lou
03-07-2012, 12:22 PM
A Dolphins beat writer claims they have 14 million in cap space for 2012. That might be enough to get Peyton, but him alone does not make that team very competitive.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2012/02/nfl-salary-cap-crunching-the-2012-numbers.html

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7570116/nfl-plenty-cap-room-improve

How the F do the 9er's have 39 million in Cap Space, don't they have like $400 million tied up in thier secondary? I just don't understand how some of these teams have the room they do. Look at the Eagles how do they even have ten bucks in Cap Space with the roster they have? It's crazy.

b0ng
03-07-2012, 12:26 PM
How the F do the 9er's have 39 million in Cap Space, don't they have like $400 million tied up in thier secondary? I just don't understand how some of these teams have the room they do. Look at the Eagles how do they even have ten bucks in Cap Space with the roster they have? It's crazy.

Carlos Rogers is a UFA this year, and I believe Dashon Gholdson got franchised. I also believe Alex Smith took up a decent chunk of cap since he was a #1 overall draft pick in the times when they got crazy contracts and I believe he is a UFA this year as well.

Ole Miss Texan
03-07-2012, 01:05 PM
This will be so interesting to watch where he ends up. I in no way, shape or form, think he will go to "the highest bidder". He's made his money on the field and through endorsements. He wants to go where he (1) has the best shot at winning another championship and (2) has a very strong and respected front office / owner.

That's why I think he would be very interested in Houston. We're hands down the leaders in our conference and McNair is a GREAT owner. Look at Eli during the draft... he and the Manning family had tremendous respect for the Giants organization and that's why he really wanted to go to NY and not San Diego.

Peyton is going to narrow the teams down to who he wants to play for and try to somehow leverage that to get himself a decent contract. Honestly, I hope the Texans can somehow work it out.

Big Lou
03-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Indeed. One of my favorite isms...

-Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."

-Ferris Bueller

Thorn
03-07-2012, 01:27 PM
They would probably think it was great to finally have a leader at QB.

That is just about the dumbest post I've seen in a long time. You don't think Schaub is a leader? What games have you been watching? Schaub isn't the greatest QB in the world, but he damn sure fits well into what the Texans do. He had two 4000 yard seasons in a row and was on track for a 3rd one. The offensive players respect the heck out of Schaub.

Why on Earth would you even say such a thing?

SheTexan
03-07-2012, 01:34 PM
That is just about the dumbest post I've seen in a long time. You don't think Schaub is a leader? What games have you been watching? Schaub isn't the greatest QB in the world, but he damn sure fits well into what the Texans do. He had two 4000 yard seasons in a row and was on track for a 3rd one. The offensive players respect the heck out of Schaub.

I started to neg rep this bozo but decided he wasn't worth it. SOOOOO, thanks for speaking up Thorn!! Some of these clowns need to go back to the MMB. JMO!!

rush2112mn
03-07-2012, 01:35 PM
I am sure Manning has considered the Texans and how attractive a place it would be to play here......
All the pieces are in place.....
He would be crazy not to consider playing here......I would be considering it if I was in his shoes.......
Just saying......

ckhouston
03-07-2012, 01:53 PM

Because it is my opinion. I have watched all the games, ever played by the Texans. Matt Schaub lacks the qualities I look for in a leader. That simple.

darnbni99a
03-07-2012, 01:58 PM
he def wont be coming here.

& it goes w/o saying.. i wouldnt mind it tho if he did

J_R
03-07-2012, 02:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/U04YU.jpg

DonnyMost
03-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Because it is my opinion. I have watched all the games, ever played by the Texans. Matt Schaub lacks the qualities I look for in a leader. That simple.

Care to quantify that?

Can you point to specific examples of "poor leadership"?

Or are you just pulling bogus excuses out of your arse to justify getting rid of a guy that you don't like because you can't actually point to any tangible reasons he should go?

ckhouston
03-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Care to quantify that?

Or are you just pulling bogus excuses out of your arse to justify getting rid of a guy that you don't like because you can't actually point to any tangible reasons he should go?

Actually I have gone over this before in another post, but he lacks emotion to me. Lacks fire. Lacks passion. Plays like he is just going through the motions. Ever see him getting in his teammates face on the sideline for a blown play, or firing up his team before going out onto the field? Those types of things you see from Peyton, you used to see from Favre, and heck even Tebow. Not from Matt. Also during the Ravens playoff game after one of Yates picks it cut to Matt on the sideline and he had a big smile on his face. Frankly that just pissed me off. I think to him its just all about him, and he isn't anywhere close to good enough to have that kind of attitude.

BigBull17
03-07-2012, 02:32 PM

@TheFakeJohnMcClain is more reliable than John Mc-6-Chins

Rey
03-07-2012, 02:33 PM
There are different types of leadership...

There is leadership which keeps others on edge, and then there is leadership that puts people at ease...

I think Schaub is a leader in that he puts his teammates at ease for the most part...

I think Manning keeps his teammates on edge...

Both can be effective....I think it just depends on the people on the situation...

I think different people respond to different types of leadership and even an individual can respond to different styles at different times.

But yeah...All that was to say that Schaub is a leader, but he's less the "keep you on edge" type and more the "make you feel at ease" kind...

Texanfan4ever
03-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Actually I have gone over this before in another post, but he lacks emotion to me. Lacks fire. Lacks passion. Plays like he is just going through the motions. Ever see him getting in his teammates face on the sideline for a blown play, or firing up his team before going out onto the field? Those types of things you see from Peyton, you used to see from Favre, and heck even Tebow. Not from Matt. Also during the Ravens playoff game after one of Yates picks it cut to Matt on the sideline and he had a big smile on his face. Frankly that just pissed me off. I think to him its just all about him, and he isn't anywhere close to good enough to have that kind of attitude.

Why don't you do a little research on what his players on the offense have to say about him. THen you will know how ridiculous you sound. Andre Johnson being the first one you should research! You don't have to jump around and scream and dance and yell and whatever else you think is necessary to show passion. Matt played all of the year before with a dislocated/broken shoulder. I think just that alone speaks volumes for what kind of leader he is. He is a team player through and a through! A lot like Kubiak. His demeanor is the same as Schaubs! Steady and solid! I like it!

Goatcheese
03-07-2012, 02:38 PM

Do you ever watch the mic'd up segments? You know, where they show Schaub yelling at people and fired up on the sidelines...

ckhouston
03-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Do you ever watch the mic'd up segments? You know, where they show Schaub yelling at people and fired up on the sidelines...

I have never seen that out of Schaub. Do you have a link?

Playoffs
03-07-2012, 02:46 PM
2 hours of Peyton should go to Houston on Mike & Mike In The Morning today.

Little Mike bet Big Mike that Manning will end up in Houston -- Big Mike got every other destination other than 770.

edit: finally Schefter comes in with a dose of reality & says no way to Houston.

Thorn
03-07-2012, 02:50 PM
I haven't watched NFLN in a while, perhaps I'll catch it this evening. It ought to be interesting watching all the bobble heads talk about where Manning is going. :lol:

BullNation4Life
03-07-2012, 02:57 PM

before or after they won the Super Bowl?

Winning cures all...

BullNation4Life
03-07-2012, 03:00 PM

I think he looks the best in the Fins uni...

Goatcheese
03-07-2012, 03:02 PM

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/09000d5d823131fb/Sound-FX-Kubiak-and-Schaub

Playoffs
03-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Also a little history...

Archie Manning, Peyton's father, was traded to Houston after 10 years with the Saints...

Where his backup QB was -- Oliver Luck, Andrew's father.

TexanSam
03-07-2012, 03:06 PM
I just hope he signs somewhere fast. Don't know that I'll be able to hand the 24 hour ESPN news coverage of him. It's going be like LeBron+Favre.

ckhouston
03-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Also a little history...

Archie Manning, Peyton's father, was traded to Houston after 10 years with the Saints...

Where his backup QB was -- Oliver Luck, Andrew's father.

Yep, he was traded to the Oilers and a year later Earl Campbell was traded to the Saints. That's when Bum went to coach in New Orleans. I think Bum traded Archie year two, so that would mean he spent one year with Wade as a coach on the staff as well.

Ole Miss Texan
03-07-2012, 03:28 PM

Very cool! Looks the most natural in that Dolphins uniform. Almost resembles Marino. lol :pissed:

paycheck71
03-07-2012, 03:36 PM

Sounds like you're confusing yelling and shouting with leadership... A player doesn't have to yell to be a leader. Drives me nuts when people just look for vocal outbursts and somehow think that it's a sign of leadership.

Lurvinator11
03-07-2012, 03:42 PM
I would want Peyton to go to the Redskins. I hope it happens. An Eli vs Peyton match up two times a year, plus th cowgirls have to play a manning four times a year. On top of that, We don't have to worry about Peyton at all.

Thorn
03-07-2012, 03:54 PM
I would want Peyton to go to the Redskins. I hope it happens. An Eli vs Peyton match up two times a year, plus th cowgirls have to play a manning four times a year. On top of that, We don't have to worry about Peyton at all.

A workable idea to me. Anything that could possibly be bad for the cowgirls and good for us at the same time I'm all for.

ckhouston
03-07-2012, 03:59 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/09000d5d823131fb/Sound-FX-Kubiak-and-Schaub

Good link. Thanks.

Malloy
03-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Dumb question, but why does anyone think he's out of Indy. Granted I have not kept myself THAT updated since the SB, but he's under contract in Indy for years, so why even speculate where he's going?

I'm sure I've missed something obvious, sorry if that's the case.

Oh and... :cheese: Awesome smilie! :)

Malloy
03-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Dumb question, but why does anyone think he's out of Indy. Granted I have not kept myself THAT updated since the SB, but he's under contract in Indy for years, so why even speculate where he's going?

I'm sure I've missed something obvious, sorry if that's the case.

Oh and... :cheese: Awesome smilie! :)

And now... I look to the nfl.com (third time today) and it's plastered with Manning stuff... Still, could someone give a summary, their webpage is somewhat... confusing :=)

paycheck71
03-07-2012, 04:48 PM
And now... I look to the nfl.com (third time today) and it's plastered with Manning stuff... Still, could someone give a summary, their webpage is somewhat... confusing :=)

<Summary>
he's out of Indy
</Summary>
Sorry for being a smart ass. :)

:hides:

Malloy
03-07-2012, 04:52 PM
<Summary>
he's out of Indy
</Summary>
Sorry for being a smart ass. :)

:hides:

haha, serves me right! :)

Ok, I actually found a meaningful 'article' on the nfl.com, I'm now informed.

MIAMI!!... there... I said it! :)

Norg
03-07-2012, 05:14 PM
the way u say it it does make alot of sense lets face it schaub only has 1 or 2 more years here max

WHat gets me is IMO this team only is about 1 more peice away from winning a SB after that imo the window is only open for 2 more years IMO to win a SB after that the window will close IMO unless....... if mcnair goal is to just be a contender year in and year out kinda like the steelers and pats i thinks thats the type of ball club he wants to build

Ryan
03-07-2012, 05:18 PM
the way u say it it does make alot of sense lets face it schaub only has 1 or 2 more years here max

WHat gets me is IMO this team only is about 1 more peice away from winning a SB after that imo the window is only open for 2 more years IMO to win a SB after that the window will close IMO unless....... if mcnair goal is to just be a contender year in and year out kinda like the steelers and pats i thinks thats the type of ball club he wants to build

You have alot of opinions.

Norg
03-07-2012, 05:22 PM
o and there is nooooo wayyyy we got two 2nd round picks for matt we are not going to get what we paid for him like 6 years ago

we will be lucky if we get 1 3rd round pick if we are lucky IMO

Rey
03-07-2012, 05:25 PM
o and there is nooooo wayyyy we got two 2nd round picks for matt we are not going to get what we paid for him like 6 years ago

we will be lucky if we get 1 3rd round pick if we are lucky IMO

He didn't depreciate when we drove him off the lot.

Matt is proven now. He is worth more or at least just as much.

Proven QB's are not cheap. The only thing that would drag his value down is his injury stuff...:cheese:

PapaL
03-07-2012, 05:28 PM
The levels of fucctardary are insane in this thread.

Will refrain from posting again until Peyton signs somewhere.

That is all.

Norg
03-07-2012, 05:28 PM
He didn't depreciate when we drove him off the lot.

Matt is proven now. He is worth more or at least just as much.

Proven QB's are not cheap. The only thing that would drag his value down is his injury stuff...:cheese:

and thats what i think teams will see hes damaged goods and is injury prone that is what teams will see

spurstexanstros
03-07-2012, 06:01 PM
If Peyton signs with the Texans..it will be proof 2012 is the end of the world. (originally I said the texans winning the Superbowl will herald the end...but as good as they are not so much)

J_R
03-07-2012, 06:08 PM
I’ve seen the Texans on the list of possible Peyton Manning destinations, but it won’t happen.

Nothing against Manning and his attempt to make an incredible comeback from four neck operations, but the Texans have Matt Schaub as their starting quarterback. They believe in Schaub. This will be his sixth season in Gary Kubiak’s system. Kubiak has been using this system since 1995, and he’s not going to change it.

Manning is a pocket quarterback. The team that signs him will have to adapt its offense to him. He might want to bring receivers like Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon and center Jeff Saturday with him. All will be unrestricted next week.

Manning, who doesn’t play for the money anymore, will go to a team that gives him the best chance for success. The team will have to be a playoff contender with the addition of one of the greatest quarterbacks in history. It’ll have to be willing to add offensive players.

Last season wasn’t the same without Manning. The NFL is better off when he’s playing. Here’s hoping he’ll stay healthy and be able to play several more seasons.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/03/texans-wont-be-pursuing-manning/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

leebigeztx
03-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Care to quantify that?

Everyone knows schaub is tough as nails and shows no quit. So much so that when someone is close to sacking him, he bals up in the fetal position and goes down. Or maybe its the 1/2 arm sack by seymor. Maybe its the sorry 2010 defense giving him the ball late 6 times for the tie or win and he threw pick 6 or just came up mt.

ckhouston
03-07-2012, 07:20 PM
when someone is close to sacking him, he bals up in the fetal position and goes down.

Careful, the will bad rep you for not agreeing with them like they do me.:spin:

b0ng
03-07-2012, 07:41 PM

The Colts released Manning today.

gwallaia
03-07-2012, 07:45 PM
This is one aspect of pro sports that I hate. A player like Peyton Manning is a legend, it's sad to see him finish his career with another team. Peyton Manning is a Colt, it will be odd seeing him in another uniform. But he will be in a Colt uniform when he goes to Canton in a few years.

But the NFL is a business about making money and that's how it goes. Loyalty is nowhere in the vocabulary of anyone in the NFL.

Joe Namath finished his career with the LA Rams but he will always be remembered as a NY Jet.

Joe Montana finished his career with the KC Chiefs but he will always be remembered as a SF 49er.

Even OJ Simpson finished up his career with the 49ers.

Us old Oiler fans remember how wrong it felt seeing Earl Campbell wearing #35 for the Saints as his career ended. And worse than that, seeing Hakeem Olajuwon finishing his career with the Toronto Raptors for Christ's sake.

Colt fans must be feeling really bummed right now.

Double Barrel
03-07-2012, 07:56 PM

NO FREAKIN' doubt!!!

All of the above.

Manning Watch is going to make watching NFLN unbearable. :kubepalm:

DonnyMost
03-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Everyone knows schaub is tough as nails and shows no quit. So much so that when someone is close to sacking him, he bals up in the fetal position and goes down. Or maybe its the 1/2 arm sack by seymor. Maybe its the sorry 2010 defense giving him the ball late 6 times for the tie or win and he threw pick 6 or just came up mt.

You're trying to criticize him for his late game performances in 2010? Seriously? Or even dumber, you're trying to say the (historically bad) defense set him up to win games???

Week 2 @ Redskins - Schaub goes 38/52 for 3 tds and leads a 2nd half rally with a game tying last second score, first OT win.

Week 6 vs. Chiefs - Schaub goes 20/29 with 3 tds, down 17 points in the 4th, goes 11-15 sets up all 3 tds.

Week 9 vs Chargers - After a 2nd half defensive collapse, with under 6 mins left, down by 6, Schaub goes 8 of 12 for 106 yards, then AJ drops a sure catch into the arms of Weddle, game over.

Week 10 @ Jags - 3 tds in 2nd half, tying score in last 3 minutes. Defensive failboat to give jags the win preventing OT.

Week 11 @ NYJ - Leads the Texans on a furious 4th quarter comeback, scoring 20 points to go from a 7-23 deficit to take the lead 27-23. Defensive Failboat in the final minute costs Texans the game.

Week 14 vs BAL - Incredible 2nd half comeback by Schaub, including two passes for a TD and 2-pt conversion to seal the comeback, 63 passes eventually catches up to him and the pick 6 ends it in OT.

And that's not even taking 2009 or 2008 (Schaub out half the year) into account...

Week 2 @ Titans - Lit up the Titans for 350 yards and 4 touchdowns; including digging the team out of a 21-7 deficit halfway through the second quarter & driving down the field with 3 minutes left to knock in the game winning FG

Week 3 vs. Jags - 300 yards and 3 touchdowns; including a last minute game-tying drive to the goal line where Chris Brown fumbled the game away.

Week 5 @ Cards - 370 yards 2 touchdowns; including resurrecting the team from a 0-21 deficit after halftime, and despite throwing a pick-6, he nutted up and led a final minute, game-tying drive to the goal line where Chris Brown once again EPIC FAILED.

Week 6 @ Cinci - Almost 400 yards and 4 touchdowns; came back from down 3 at halftime to win *on the road* against the NFL's *6th* ranked defense.

Week 9 @ Indy - 32 of 43 for 300 yards; despite throwing a costly late pick due to a blown blocking assignment, Matt still marched us into field goal range for the tie where another Kris Brown failed the game away. All this, by the way, on the road against the NFL's "best" team.

Week 11 vs. Titans - 300 yards and 2 touchdowns; once again drove the Texans down the field in the final moments to set up a game tying field goal. ANOTHER Kris Brown epic fail.

Week 13 @ Jags - 200 yards and a touchdown in about 2.5 quarters of action; despite a sprained shoulder returned to the game and played hurt the entire time, nearly pulled out the W if not for... you guessed it... ANOTHER Chris Brown epic fail.

Week 17 vs Patriots - Goes 7-10 with a TD and sets up Foster's game tying 1 yard TD run in the final 7 minutes, defense seals it after that.

Week 3 @ Jags - 300 yards 3 touchdowns; drove the Texans in field goal range in the final two minutes to tie the game as time expired. Never got the ball in OT.

Week 6 vs. Dolphins - Matt with the game winning drive in the final two minutes capped off by a QB sneak for the win over the playoff bound Dolphins as time expired.

Week 14 @ Packers - 400 yards 2 touchdowns; Matt with a drive in the final 2 minutes to set up the game winning field goal as time expired.

And then beyond that, getting down to pure stats, Matt was top 10 in 4th quarter QB rating in 2010...

4th quarter passer rating

113.8 - Michael Vick
110.3 - Ben Roethlisberger
108.3 - David Garrard
106.7 - Tom Brady
102.6 - Philip Rivers
100.1 - Matt Cassel
100.0 - Jason Campbell
96.4 - Josh Freeman
94.4 - Peyton Manning
93.9 - Matt Schaub
93.6 - Aaron Rodgers
90.2 - Joe Flacco
88.9 - Matt Ryan
86.3 - Kyle Orton
85.0 - Jay Cutler
82.5 - Drew Brees
79.0 - Ryan Fitzpatrick
76.6 - Matt Hasselbeck
74.0 - Carson Palmer
66.3 - Eli Manning
65.3 - Donovan McNabb
61.0 - Brett Favre
59.4 - Sam Bradford
55.5 - Mark Sanchez

Even more damning for you, Schaub's QB rating was a stellar 116.6 in the 3rd quarter.

_____

If you're going to criticize Matt for coming up small in the clutch, 2011 probably a better argument to make. He wasn't particularly impressive in the 2nd half in a few of those games. But even then, we went 7-3, and all you've got to hang your hat on in terms of "costing us" the game is Oakland, which was FAR from just his fault.

_____

You want to criticize him for taking sacks? You realize that 1) he's one of the least athletic QBs in the league and 2) he takes better care of the ball than almost anyone, right? You can't have both. Matt knows his limitations and will eat a sack rather than scramble or chuck it and turn the ball over. That is a huge part of our success and why he's so efficient.

_____

You want to criticize his toughness? He played most of the Tampa Bay game on a broken foot, and he played almost ALL of the 2010 game @ Jacksonville on a separated shoulder. Beyond that, not only did he play, but he played well.

_____

So, color me unimpressed and unconvinced with your argument.

Premier
03-07-2012, 08:26 PM

schaub apologist on this board have themselves convinced this stuff never happens.. i recall a couple times this season where the defense gave schaub the ball back with an opportunity to take the lead or put the game away and all he did was give the ball right back (baltimore/oakland/new orleans).. seems like the schaub lovers also forget that he concedes sacks, in a fetal position like you pointed out, and also turns into a midget when a quality defense lines up across him.. but hey he put up a ton of points on a bunch of bad defenses this year so that means he was ready to lead the texans past the ravens, brady, and the giants...

Vinny
03-07-2012, 09:06 PM
This is one aspect of pro sports that I hate. A player like Peyton Manning is a legend, it's sad to see him finish his career with another team. Peyton Manning is a Colt, it will be odd seeing him in another uniform. But he will be in a Colt uniform when he goes to Canton in a few years.

But the NFL is a business about making money and that's how it goes. Loyalty is nowhere in the vocabulary of anyone in the NFL.

Joe Namath finished his career with the LA Rams but he will always be remembered as a NY Jet.

Joe Montana finished his career with the KC Chiefs but he will always be remembered as a SF 49er.

Even OJ Simpson finished up his career with the 49ers.

Us old Oiler fans remember how wrong it felt seeing Earl Campbell wearing #35 for the Saints as his career ended. And worse than that, seeing Hakeem Olajuwon finishing his career with the Toronto Raptors for Christ's sake.

Was it Old Man Irsay that kicked Johnny Unitas to the Chargers? Johnny U!

Vinny
03-07-2012, 09:17 PM
I was right, it was friggin' Irsay! Like Father like Son.

1973: Colts Trade Johnny Unitas to Chargers

On January 22, 1973 the 17-season Baltimore Colts career of legendary quarterback Johnny Unitas officially came to an end. He was traded to the San Diego Chargers for unspecified future considerations. The deal was not a complete surprise, since it was clear during the 1972 season that Unitas’ tenure in Baltimore was coming to an end; the arrival of Joe Thomas as general manager assured that a big overhaul of the team was in the works. But the dispatching of Unitas in particular marked the end of a very significant era in the franchise’s history.

The Colts had a new owner, Bob Irsay, who in turn brought in Thomas to make changes. http://fs64sports.blogspot.com/2010/01/1973-colts-trade-johnny-unitas-to.html

Texan_Bill
03-07-2012, 09:20 PM
All of the above.

"Let's go Rockets!!!"

"Let's go Astros!!!"

:gun:

Lucky
03-07-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm not saying this is the case with Peyton. But most of those guys mentioned (Unitas, Namath, Earl, Dream) stayed in the game too long. Add Emmitt Smith to that list. It's difficult for some guys who are really great to let go.

BullBlitz
03-07-2012, 09:49 PM

Then stop reading Manning related threads. It's not that difficult.

Thorn
03-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Then stop reading Manning related threads. It's not that difficult.

Yes it is. Ever driven by a car wreck? :lol:

MistaRed
03-07-2012, 10:22 PM
@SI_PeterKing: You can eliminate Houston for Peyton.

From Peter King's twitter account.

ThaShark316
03-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Game over.

Lucky
03-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Game over.
The "game" never started.

hollywood_texan
03-07-2012, 10:39 PM
schaub apologist on this board have themselves convinced this stuff never happens.. i recall a couple times this season where the defense gave schaub the ball back with an opportunity to take the lead or put the game away and all he did was give the ball right back (baltimore/oakland/new orleans).. seems like the schaub lovers also forget that he concedes sacks, in a fetal position like you pointed out, and also turns into a midget when a quality defense lines up across him.. but hey he put up a ton of points on a bunch of bad defenses this year so that means he was ready to lead the texans past the ravens, brady, and the giants...

I have to agree with you. I like Schaub, but I have the same issues as you. Unfortunately, there are not enough QB opportunities to upgrade the position. Schaub is a good QB, but I don't see him making that all important drive in the last game of the season to push forward in the playoffs.

Also, I put a lot this on Kubiak. I don't see him getting through in a crunch game. Excellent example is the playoff game at Baltimore. The defense kept the offense in the game and the offensive playoff calling was predictable, unimaginative, and risk averse.

I am not hijacking this thread. Back to point of this thread, Manning I don't think is an upgrade for the Texans, and Schaub is our best chance.

Let's just hope the division lines up like last year for 2012 and maybe we can get lucky despite the inherent weaknesses of the Texans organization.

Like it or not, Kubiak and Schaub are our best chance. We are just pot committed with the current structure or time to rebuild.

ThaShark316
03-07-2012, 11:23 PM
I have to agree with you. I like Schaub, but I have the same issues as you. Unfortunately, there are not enough QB opportunities to upgrade the position. Schaub is a good QB, but I don't see him making that all important drive in the last game of the season to push forward in the playoffs.

Also, I put a lot this on Kubiak. I don't see him getting through in a crunch game. Excellent example is the playoff game at Baltimore. The defense kept the offense in the game and the offensive playoff calling was predictable, unimaginative, and risk averse.

I am not hijacking this thread. Back to point of this thread, Manning I don't think is an upgrade for the Texans, and Schaub is our best chance.

Let's just hope the division lines up like last year for 2012 and maybe we can get lucky despite the inherent weaknesses of the Texans organization.

Like it or not, Kubiak and Schaub are our best chance. We are just pot committed with the current structure or time to rebuild.

Please, Texans make the playoffs in 2012-13.

Bout tired of "Schaub can't do it"...we'll see. See y'all at the parade on Feb 5th or whatever.

ArlingtonTexan
03-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Nothing matters about Peyton's free agency except what Peyton wants to do.

While this is always the case (players sign with teams; teams don't sign players), it will never be more the case than now. This guy just got 20 million to have neck surgeries and refused to not get all of his 28 million when he wanted. His brother Eli forced a trade from the Chargers to the Giants. The way he dictates on the field is the way that family dictates off the field. Today was designed to not make Manning look like a greedy SOB, when at the end of the day he acted on his best interest just like any other player who has the leverage to do so.

Manning plays where Manning wants for the money Manning wants (within reason on both). If Manning truly wishes to play for the Texans, it a great chance of happening. Otherwise this has nothing to McNair or Smith or Kubiak.

Malloy
03-08-2012, 02:56 AM
I'm not saying this is the case with Peyton. But most of those guys mentioned (Unitas, Namath, Earl, Dream) stayed in the game too long. Add Emmitt Smith to that list. It's difficult for some guys who are really great to let go.

*Cough* Favre *Cough* :)

Norg
03-08-2012, 04:37 AM
OT---- but the rockets lost agian WTF is going on :kitten:

Hervoyel
03-08-2012, 09:19 AM
All of the above.

It's Favre watch only without Brett Favre.

Personally I would like to see him here (IF HEALTHY) and think there's not a reason in the world that he wouldn't be able to run our offense better than Schaub (IF HEALTHY) but I also agree with all those people who you quoted in that he won't be coming here.

It won't be that bringing him here (IF HEALTHY) is a bad fit. It won't be that he can't run our system or won't run our system. It will be because the Texans just don't think or work that way. That's an impulsive move even if it has great potential upside. That's not our M.O. and I'm not even saying that to be critical of them. It's just not the way they approach building their team. Maybe if Matt was also 35 or genuinely in danger of never playing again they might consider it. Maybe if they had a bunch of cap space to burn. But not as things sit right now. No way in hell.

Playoffs
03-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Broncos are in it and legit.

Cards expected to be there in the end.

When will it end???

SheTexan
03-08-2012, 10:04 AM
When will it end???

San Francisco!!

GP
03-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Nothing matters about Peyton's free agency except what Peyton wants to do.

While this is always the case (players sign with teams; teams don't sign players), it will never be more the case than now. This guy just got 20 million to have neck surgeries and refused to not get all of his 28 million when he wanted. His brother Eli forced a trade from the Chargers to the Giants. The way he dictates on the field is the way that family dictates off the field. Today was designed to not make Manning look like a greedy SOB, when at the end of the day he acted on his best interest just like any other player who has the leverage to do so.

Manning plays where Manning wants for the money Manning wants (within reason on both). If Manning truly wishes to play for the Texans, it a great chance of happening. Otherwise this has nothing to McNair or Smith or Kubiak.

It would have a LOT to do with McNair and Smithiak.

Like Herv said, it's not in this franchise's DNA to acquire Manning. They gave Carr a whole season to see if he could turn the corner, then spent two 2's on Schaub. That's as fancy and daring as you'll ever see from McNair.

My personal wish: I want a true, legit, franchise QB here. A 10-year guy like the Colts had in Manning. A Brees type. Manning might have a year or two left in the tank, maybe 3. So I think it'd be better to roll with what we have in Yates and keep drafting QBs as annual insurance and potential "franchise" type guys.

And I think this is how McNair and his crew think as well. Slow and steady wins the race, let other teams experiment with Manning.

ckhouston
03-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Manning I don't think is an upgrade for the Texans, and Schaub is our best chance.

That's like saying your Taurus PT92 is as good as my Beretta 92FS. Just not true. Both do the same basic job, but one is far superior at it. More dependable, more accurate, and proven. I'll take the Beretta any day.

Big Lou
03-08-2012, 10:36 AM

"Risk averse?" How many times that game did TJ huck the ball down the field trying to force the ball to Andre in the Baltimore game? If the play calling was very conservative I think that Kubes would have handcuffed Yates and never allowed those kind of calls.

Big Lou
03-08-2012, 10:37 AM
That's like saying your Taurus PT92 is as good as my Beretta 92FS. Just not true. Both do the same basic job, but one is far superior at it. More dependable, more accurate, and proven. I'll take the Beretta any day.

Is that a Ford Taurus versus a Chevrolet Berreta? Because if you're talking Taurus SHO, I think the ford has the edge......

:kubepalm:

I'll take my H&K any day.

The1ApplePie
03-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Manning ain't happening here.

Won't stop the fans from going nuts when Schaub bumps into a cart at Walmart and suffers a season-ending injury though.

Getting Flynn or trading up for Tannehill are both more likely than getting peyton, and both of those aren't happening.

hollywood_texan
03-08-2012, 10:58 AM
"Risk averse?" How many times that game did TJ huck the ball down the field trying to force the ball to Andre in the Baltimore game? If the play calling was very conservative I think that Kubes would have handcuffed Yates and never allowed those kind of calls.

Unfortunately, I didn't see the entire game because the power went out and I did not have access to watch the game again back then and and I can't right now.

With that said, I distinctly remember the classic draw and screen plays that Kubiak likes to run in the 4th quarter. The Texans offense repeatedly, late in the 4th quarter, had a chance to tie the game up, but failed to move the football running the same old plays with minimal effectiveness.

Sure the ball was chucked, but that was because it was the end of the game. My point is, I think the play calling could have been better. My point, Kubiak's play calling is predictable.

Having said all that, the best chance the Texans have to continue with what they got. The same teams go to Super Bowl and win it. From time to time, there are exceptions, like Tampa Bay or New Orleans.

After the 2010, the talk was if we had a great defense, we would march to the Super Bowl. Well, the defense did it's job against Baltimore, the offense couldn't do it's end to close the game out.

Before the Baltimore game, I said the Texans had to score a defensive TD to win. Why because the offense hasn't consistently proven to score at the final crunch time.

I hope I am wrong about Kubiak. We'll see in 2012 if the Texans can improve on their 2011 season.

ckhouston
03-08-2012, 11:10 AM
I'll take my H&K any day.

Yeah, but Brady isn't on the market. :doot:

Texn4life
03-08-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm curious about who the mysterious 5 teams are that have contacted his reps and are interested. It's already been reported that the Redskins, Jets, Cardinals, Dolphins, Seahawks, Broncos, and Titans have contacted him. It looks like the Chiefs are 1 of those 5 teams so that still leaves 4. If I had to guess, knowing the Raiders history they have to be 1 of those as well. I have no clue who the others would be. Maybe Tampa? Minnesota? I'm thinking they're teams with younger QBs who don't want it put out there that they're interested.

Texan_Bill
03-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Just heard that as many as 12 teams have inquired about Manning.

b0ng
03-08-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm curious about who the mysterious 5 teams are that have contacted his reps and are interested. It's already been reported that the Redskins, Jets, Cardinals, Dolphins, Seahawks, Broncos, and Titans have contacted him. It looks like the Chiefs are 1 of those 5 teams so that still leaves 4. If I had to guess, knowing the Raiders history they have to be 1 of those as well. I have no clue who the others would be. Maybe Tampa? Minnesota? I'm thinking they're teams with younger QBs who don't want it put out there that they're interested.

Broncos are a team being mentioned a lot along with the Chiefs.

pirbroke
03-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Just heard that as many as 12 teams have inquired about Manning.

Breaking news, 31 teams have inquired about Manning. LOL, OK I joke but it should be that way,

DonnyMost
03-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Broncos
Chiefs
Dolphins
49ers
Jets
Redskins
Seahawks
Cardinals
Ravens
Browns
Bills

That's 11... who else?

Playoffs
03-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
More @Russellmania980 on ESPN: "Unless that changes - and I'm taking my sources at their word - I don't think Manning's coming here to D.C."

9m Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
From @Russellmania980 on ESPN: "From what I'm hearing...Manning's camp made it pretty clear to #Redskins that he doesn't want to come here."

Nawzer
03-08-2012, 02:07 PM
If the Texans front office hasn't discussed signing Peyton then they're not doing their job. I like Schaub and I think he's a good qb, but he's not Peyton Manning and he will never be. I don't hold that against him or anything, but imagine a scenario this season when the game(s) is on the line and Schaub throws one of his patented 4th quarter dumb as hell interception. And now imagine having Peyton on the team and we all know he's a great 4th quarter crunch time player. The difference between just making the AFC Championship game and actually winning it may ride on one pass that Schaub can't make but Manning can. If Peyton is 100% healthy, and he seems to be, then I think the Texans have to seriously look into it. The window for the Texans may not be open for that long and you have to seriously consider all possibilities.

Double Barrel
03-08-2012, 02:09 PM
It's Favre watch only without Brett Favre.

Personally I would like to see him here (IF HEALTHY) and think there's not a reason in the world that he wouldn't be able to run our offense better than Schaub (IF HEALTHY) but I also agree with all those people who you quoted in that he won't be coming here.

It won't be that bringing him here (IF HEALTHY) is a bad fit. It won't be that he can't run our system or won't run our system. It will be because the Texans just don't think or work that way. That's an impulsive move even if it has great potential upside. That's not our M.O. and I'm not even saying that to be critical of them. It's just not the way they approach building their team. Maybe if Matt was also 35 or genuinely in danger of never playing again they might consider it. Maybe if they had a bunch of cap space to burn. But not as things sit right now. No way in hell.

yep, I agree completely.

It is not a knock on the Texans, but just a realistic understanding of the history of how this owner and front office operate. It is a bit delusional to think that they will drastically change their M.O. after a decade for a player that may or may not be his former self.

Texn4life
03-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Broncos are a team being mentioned a lot along with the Chiefs.

I included the Broncos and Chiefs. But that still leaves 4 teams out there who haven't been officially reported to have contacted him.

HOU-TEX
03-08-2012, 02:35 PM
I find it hard to believe he'll go anywhare other than Miami. They're a decent team, they're in the AFC, he has a house there (he's there now) and his wife has family there. No brainer to me, especially since they've got the jack to pay him.

Texn4life
03-08-2012, 02:40 PM
I find it hard to believe he'll go anywhare other than Miami. They're a decent team, they're in the AFC, he has a house there (he's there now) and his wife has family there. No brainer to me, especially since they've got the jack to pay him.

It makes sense on a lot of fronts, but he also runs the risk of playing in some serious cold weather games with NE, Buffalo, and the Jets on the schedule. Not sure if that's something he wants. He'll also have to battle Brady for the division and I'm not sure if he's ready to accept being most likely a Wild Card team at best. They have the recipe to be a really good team though. If they pick up Manning and Reggie Wayne, then draft Richardson to pair up with Bush at Running Back that team would be pretty scary.

Señor Stan
03-08-2012, 02:41 PM
I keep thinking they are calling it the Peyton Manning Derby because he looks like a horse.

Makes sense he would go to the Broncos. They also have a horse on their helmet. Plus, their team president looks like a horse. Add in Sarah Jessica Parker and its a done deal.

Second Honeymoon
03-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Manning ain't happening here.

Won't stop the fans from going nuts when Schaub bumps into a cart at Walmart and suffers a season-ending injury though.

Getting Flynn or trading up for Tannehill are both more likely than getting peyton, and both of those aren't happening.

if we trade up for Tannehill, I will personally fling poo at that building on Kirby. Pfft, if they draft him at our natural position I will still fling poo.

As for Manning, I think it would be a great move due to the timing of it all. Schaub is coming off a very tough injury with lots of question marks due to the type of Injury (similar to Yao's). He is also entering the last year of his deal. He also struggled last year against the better teams.

Because of all these things, what should we do? I have been a big Matt supporter since the day he was brought here. He greatly improved the product and was a breath of fresh air for the franchise after we released that loser Carr. But do we re-sign Schaub not knowing how he is going to be able to perform post-injury and whether he can stay healthy post-injury?

Both Manning and Schaub would be risky, but we know one thing. Manning is a FARRRRRRRRRRRRR superior QB to Schaub. Nothing against Schaub, its just fact. Manning is elite and would be a better mentor for TJ or any other QB prospect we have at Kirby. Manning has something to prove too.

Both plays are risky so why not make the play for the better chance to win a SB this year and the next few. I understand its risky with Manning's unknown healthy but you can say same thing for Schaub.

Trade Schaub to Washington. Sign Peyton. Cross fingers.

I will be fine either way, but Manning gives us a better chance at winning a championship and I dont see how anyone can disagree with that? Both guys have injury issues, so that issue is null and void, in fact, Manning probably is in better health today than Matt.

Not to mention, when Peyton comes back, he is going to get the super preferred treatment from the refs even more than he ever has before. If you breathe on that guy its going to be a 15 yard penalty. We all know Matt doesnt get that level of treatment.

LOVE YOU MATT, BUT PEYTON IS PEYTON. SEE YA.

p.s. glad to be back on TT, I am on twitter and dont have much time for TT but I do miss all the great fans and opinions that everyone has.

Twitter handle : @DougVanHorne (Cardinal Doug)

Señor Stan
03-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Can we even trade Schaub at this point? I seriously doubt he would pass any team's physical given where he is in his recovery....

Second Honeymoon
03-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Can we even trade Schaub at this point? I seriously doubt he would pass any team's physical given where he is in his recovery....

Trade him. Release him. I just dont want to totally screw the guy over. He has been a great pro for us, but this aint tiddlywinks. If you have a chance to get Peyton, especially a highly motivated Peyton, you pull the trigger if your incumbent only has one year left under contract and will be coming back from injury.

Give Schaub to Skins for a 4th Rounder as is. That way Matt has a chance to start and to play in a similar system to Kubiak allowing an easier transition.

If Matt hadn't got hurt and if it hadn't been a Lesfranc injury, I would not be on board with Peyton even half as much, but its all laid out before us.

MAKE THE DEAL, RICK.

b0ng
03-08-2012, 02:53 PM

I doubt any team would give up more than a very late 3rd day draft pick if anything for Schaub's services currently.

Hervoyel
03-08-2012, 02:56 PM

I don't believe so. I think we'd have to release him. Nobody is going to give you something for a guy they can go out and get when he hits the streets and therin lies another reason why the Texans won't move on Manning. They don't take players like Schaub who have given everything and screw them over like that. Loyal to a fault is just how they're wired. The Patriots would be already trying to talk numbers to Manning if they thought they needed him and Brady was done. The Texans will wait until they know Schaub is done before they upset the cart with talk of a replacement.

Señor Stan
03-08-2012, 02:58 PM
I doubt any team would give up more than a very late 3rd day draft pick if anything for Schaub's services currently.

I could be wrong, but I don't recall a team trading for a player who was injured and could not pass a physical. Maybe it's accounted for in the compensation (later round picks vs. earlier picks). I just don't recall a scenario where that has happened.

Texn4life
03-08-2012, 02:58 PM

That's pretty sad considering we're putting all our bags in his basket to lead us to the promise land this year.

b0ng
03-08-2012, 02:59 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't recall a team trading for a player who was injured and could not pass a physical. Maybe it's accounted for in the compensation (later round picks vs. earlier picks). I just don't recall a scenario where that has happened.

If a player can't pass a physical for the team that's getting him, usually that's a dealbreaker on any trade.

Second Honeymoon
03-08-2012, 02:59 PM

yeah, then just release him once Manning is secured. he will land on his feet for sure. the guy has thrown for almost 5k yards in a season...too bad our defense sucked so bad that 2010 season. Matt would have been one of the hottest QBs in the league if all those come from behind losses had become wins.

I dont think it will happen though. Schaub probably has as much as 3 years more of possible shelf life than Peyton, and Schaub claims to be in the best shape of his life....dare I say ripped.

That stretch play that Peyton has would be just unfair with him handing it to Foster and play actioning off of it.

b0ng
03-08-2012, 03:01 PM
You'd still be paying Schaub in enough dead money in the 2012 cap that cutting him outright is probably not worth it as you'll have to pay Manning as well if that's the ultimate goal here.

infantrycak
03-08-2012, 03:02 PM

Who knows how much weight this would play in Peyton's mind but Reggie Wayne went to the U and has said he would love to be reunited with Manning in Miami.

ckhouston
03-08-2012, 03:03 PM
You'd still be paying Schaub in enough dead money in the 2012 cap that cutting him outright is probably not worth it as you'll have to pay Manning as well if that's the ultimate goal here.

How much cap hit if he cant play and goes on IR, then we just let him walk since its his last year?

leebigeztx
03-08-2012, 03:06 PM
If peytons agent calls the texans, you got to listen to what he's saying because you could end up playing against him if he signs with say kc. The owner will have to be involved also because its such a huge decision. I mean look at it this way, peytons last year, they had the fewest possesions in the league and still scored the 2nd most points. For years now, he has been on the sideline watching while their defense has been giving up long,time consuming drives. Even with all of that, they have outscored the texans every year. I didn't even mention the field position because of the lack of any kind of returners. Peyton has won games when his team had the ball for under 15 minutes.

infantrycak
03-08-2012, 03:07 PM

Definitely rare. The only one I can think of is Willie Roaf being traded shortly after the NFL forced his removal from the Texans expansion draft opttions.

Dutchrudder
03-08-2012, 03:08 PM
How much cap hit if he cant play and goes on IR, then we just let him walk since its his last year?

The dead money on Schaub's deal is merely the remaining signing bonus of about 1.2 million. His salary is reportedly 7.15 million this year, which would be saved if he was cut or traded. That's a lot of money that could be used to sign a guy like Peyton Manning... :D

michaelm
03-08-2012, 03:09 PM
yep, I agree completely.

It is not a knock on the Texans, but just a realistic understanding of the history of how this owner and front office operate. It is a bit delusional to think that they will drastically change their M.O. after a decade for a player that may or may not be his former self.

I pretty much agree with you, but we have to recognize the wild card in the situation that has never existed with the Texans before.
The Texans have never been "one player away" from being the odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl.
If healthy, Manning is that one player.

ckhouston
03-08-2012, 03:09 PM
If peytons agent calls the texans, you got to listen to what he's saying because you could end up playing against him if he signs with say kc. The owner will have to be involved also because its such a huge decision.

I agree you have to listen and McNair will have the final say if that happened.

I do not however see Manning in KC. It will be a warm climate, or a dome., or both.

ckhouston
03-08-2012, 03:10 PM
The dead money on Schaub's deal is merely the signing bonus of about 1.2 million. His salary is reportedly 7.15 million this year, which would be saved if he was cut or traded. That's a lot of money that could be used to sign a guy like Peyton Manning... :D

But since he went on IR last year, I don't think you can cut or trade him until he is cleared to play. I may be wrong.

Señor Stan
03-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Definitely rare. The only one I can think of is Willie Roaf being traded shortly after the NFL forced his removal from the Texans expansion draft opttions.

Thanks for that...had forgotten about that. Read up on it and he was traded for conditional picks. It was originally a 4th rounder that escalated to a 3rd based off playing time. That could be the way to move Schaub if the Texans wanted in on Manning.

TexanBacker93
03-08-2012, 03:26 PM
That's pretty sad considering we're putting all our bags in his basket to lead us to the promise land this year.

Not sad at all. He's not 100% yet which would keep a team from offering a 1st day pick. Plus if we're shopping him teams would know we would be looking to sign Manning and we wouldn't be able to keep both. Lowball the offer and sign him if we choose to cut him instead.

Blake
03-08-2012, 03:30 PM
I think Miami is a done deal.

There are multiple reasons that Manning would choose Miami, but I believe the biggest one is that the Dolphins are feeling the squeeze from the Marlins and Heat to make a big SPLASH. They will sign Manning (Give him the richest contract available) and Wayne and create a bottle neck in the sports race in South Beach.

Texn4life
03-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Not sad at all. He's not 100% yet which would keep a team from offering a 1st day pick. Plus if we're shopping him teams would know we would be looking to sign Manning and we wouldn't be able to keep both. Lowball the offer and sign him if we choose to cut him instead.

Cincinnati was able to receive 2 1st round picks for a retired QB who hasn't been as effective as Schaub the last 4 years. If we're only able to receive a late round pick for a starting QB in this league that is sad. You don't think teams would offer at least a 2nd round pick for Schaub if they knew he would be healthy? Yet, we're banking on him coming back to 100 percent without a legitimate contingency plan. If there is one we don't know about it. I don't consider starting Yates for a full season a legitimate plan if Schaub doesn't come back healthy enough to play. I may be in the minority, but I still think the kid needs another year or 2 before he's ready.

ckhouston
03-08-2012, 03:32 PM
I think Miami is a done deal.

There are multiple reasons that Manning would choose Miami, but I believe the biggest one is that the Dolphins are feeling the squeeze from the Marlins and Heat to make a big SPLASH. They will sign Manning (Give him the richest contract available) and Wayne and create a bottle neck in the sports race in South Beach.

How much cap room do they have? If they could go after Saturday as well, I think you may have nailed it.

ArlingtonTexan
03-08-2012, 03:32 PM

Like Herv said, it's not in this franchise's DNA to acquire Manning. They gave Carr a whole season to see if he could turn the corner, then spent two 2's on Schaub. That's as fancy and daring as you'll ever see from McNair.

My personal wish: I want a true, legit, franchise QB here. A 10-year guy like the Colts had in Manning. A Brees type. Manning might have a year or two left in the tank, maybe 3. So I think it'd be better to roll with what we have in Yates and keep drafting QBs as annual insurance and potential "franchise" type guys.

And I think this is how McNair and his crew think as well. Slow and steady wins the race, let other teams experiment with Manning.

Again Houston DNA or not Peyton gonna do what Peyton wants to do...so are we on his list?

per Mike Freeman NFL insider @ CBS Sports:

Peyton Manning insists he's made no decision on his possible NFL destination. Sure, Peyton. Sure.

No one in the league believes that. They think Manning has a short list but doesn't want to publicly admit it so he can maximize the inevitable bidding war.

One team official that contacted Manning's agent, Tom Condon, says he got the definite impression that Manning indeed has already decided where he wants to go, or, at least, the handful of teams truly in the mix. The official, who did not want to be identified, believes that Miami, Washington and Denver are the front-runners.

But the official conceeded the front-runner will be the team that, in the end, offers the most guaranteed money.

The official believes that contrary to some reports Manning is indeed open to playing in the NFC even in the NFC East where his brother, Eli, is obviously king of the division.

It's still early in the process but one thing is clear: the Manning derby is fully underway and despite his public protestations Manning likely already has a good idea of where he wants to go.

ckhouston
03-08-2012, 03:35 PM
It's still early in the process but one thing is clear: the Manning derby is fully underway and despite his public protestations Manning likely already has a good idea of where he wants to go.

If you believe Bob Allen ...

Texn4life
03-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Again Houston DNA or not Peyton gonna do what Peyton wants to do...so are we on his list?

Peyton Manning insists he's made no decision on his possible NFL destination. Sure, Peyton. Sure.

No one in the league believes that. They think Manning has a short list but doesn't want to publicly admit it so he can maximize the inevitable bidding war.

One team official that contacted Manning's agent, Tom Condon, says he got the definite impression that Manning indeed has already decided where he wants to go, or, at least, the handful of teams truly in the mix. The official, who did not want to be identified, believes that Miami, Washington and Denver are the front-runners.

But the official conceeded the front-runner will be the team that, in the end, offers the most guaranteed money.

The official believes that contrary to some reports Manning is indeed open to playing in the NFC even in the NFC East where his brother, Eli, is obviously king of the division.

PFT is reporting that Manning has already informed Washington he's not interested so this official's report seems to be inaccurate. There are so many rumors flying about, but like many here have said I think Miami looks to be the place he's going. And we'll see nothing but Manning versus Brady hoolpa for the next 3 years.

ArlingtonTexan
03-08-2012, 03:37 PM
From @Russellmania980 on ESPN: "From what I'm hearing...Manning's camp made it pretty clear to #Redskins that he doesn't want to come here."

This is believable to me.

DonnyMost
03-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Manning and the Shannahans sounds like a terrible combination.

Dutchrudder
03-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva

Most folks pushing Peyton to #Dolphins. Still don't buy it. Manning picking Fitz > Marshall, AZ front office > Ireland/Ross all day long.

Mary Kay Cabot ‏ @MaryKayCabot

Peyton Manning has told the Redskins he doesn't want to play for them, Chris Russell of ESPN 980 Washington told Sportscenter today.

Señor Stan
03-08-2012, 03:42 PM

You are correct. According to the Chinese Zodiac, Horses and Rats are incompatible. Bad match.

DonnyMost
03-08-2012, 03:45 PM
You are correct. According to the Chinese Zodiac, Horses and Rats are incompatible. Bad match.

I just can't imagine Peyton and the Shannys liking each other.

Two QB coaches trying to look over Peyton's shoulder and dictate gameplans to him all the time?

Plus playing in the same division as Eli for a team completely bereft of offensive talent? Not to mention one of the worst owners in all of professional sports?

I'm guessing he can do better.

ckhouston
03-08-2012, 03:50 PM
I would have to think Miami and Arizona have to be the favorites, and if either has enough cap space to bring along Saturday and Wayne they would move to the front. Who has the best O-line now? Miami? Maybe Houston as a wild card, but looking like sand for Peyton, either beach or desert.

DonnyMost
03-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Kolb's bonus money is due on the 17th. Not sure Peyton will be signed by then, so the Cardinals may lose out by default.

ChampionTexan
03-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Kolb's bonus money is due on the 17th. Not sure Peyton will be signed by then, so the Cardinals may lose out by default.

I'm guessing Manning will sign before free agency starts for the players with expiring contracts - or if not, within a day or two afterwards.

GP
03-08-2012, 03:56 PM
I keep thinking they are calling it the Peyton Manning Derby because he looks like a horse.

Makes sense he would go to the Broncos. They also have a horse on their helmet. Plus, their team president looks like a horse. Add in Sarah Jessica Parker and its a done deal.

Brilliantly constructed. Simply beautiful, Señor Stan.

Double Barrel
03-08-2012, 04:00 PM
I pretty much agree with you, but we have to recognize the wild card in the situation that has never existed with the Texans before.
The Texans have never been "one player away" from being the odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl.
If healthy, Manning is that one player.

I do not believe that Manning will play for league minimum or whatever incentive based contracts have been mentioned. I think money will definitely come into play for whoever signs him, and because of that, we will have to jettison too many players to sign him to remain "one player away".

As AT mentioned in his post:

But the official conceded the front-runner will be the team that, in the end, offers the most guaranteed money.

I certainly put more validity into Mike Freeman's perspective over "message board insiders" who claim knowledge that they cannot substantiate (not directed at you, michaelm, but just in general).

ChampionTexan
03-08-2012, 04:00 PM

Sarah Jessica Parker needs to go to the Jets.

does-sarah-jessica-parker-look-like-a-foot/ (http://thegloss.com/culture/does-sarah-jessica-parker-look-like-a-foot/)

Dutchrudder
03-08-2012, 04:06 PM

http://sarahjessicaparkerlookslikeahorse.files.wordpress. com/2010/01/016.jpg?w=450&h=350

http://sarahjessicaparkerlookslikeahorse.files.wordpress. com/2010/01/041.jpg?w=450&h=350

http://sarahjessicaparkerlookslikeahorse.files.wordpress. com/2010/01/061.jpg

I think you're right.

Texn4life
03-08-2012, 04:08 PM
http://sarahjessicaparkerlookslikeahorse.files.wordpress. com/2010/01/016.jpg?w=450&h=350

http://sarahjessicaparkerlookslikeahorse.files.wordpress. com/2010/01/041.jpg?w=450&h=350

I think you're right.

:lol: Man!!!! you guys are rough!

michaelm
03-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Contradictory reports abound...

PEYTON MANNING SAGA

The Peyton Manning sweepstakes could come to a close within the next week, people close to the four-time MVP told ESPN Thursday.

According to the report, the Manning camp is hoping to complete a deal by next week, with the newly-minted free agent looking to stay in the AFC, but remaining open to offers from NFC teams.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Peyton-Manning-hopes-to-sign-new-deal-by-next-week-030812

BullNation4Life
03-08-2012, 04:14 PM

Hell why not Brees himself. The way things are going with the Saints, Brees may hit the market next year....

GP
What if the collective decision makers with the Texans, The Bull Skull & Bones members, just decided to do it and grabbed Manning?

They could say Matt is a long ways out, TJ is in his sophomore year here, and Manning is a stop-gap solution until Schaub has a chance late 2012 reg season to get on the field to see what he's got.

If they wanted to do it, they can spin it however they want. What's Schaub going to do about it? Nothing. He'd have to eat **** and smile, period.

This would be a good time for the Texans to cash in some "Good vibe P.R. credit" they've accrued all these years.

Not saying I want that...just saying I have seen stranger things happen. Anything could happen.

Texn4life
Contradictory reports abound...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Peyton-Manning-hopes-to-sign-new-deal-by-next-week-030812

It only makes sense that he would continue to field offers from NFC teams. The more offers on the table, the more he can get from the team he really wants to go to. The Texans of all teams should know about being used in free agency.

ckhouston
03-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Hell why not Brees himself. The way things are going with the Saints, Brees may hit the market next year....

What if the reason they haven't signed Brees yet, is that Manning is coming back to the city of his birth! Finally a Manning will take the Saints to a Super Bowl! Or, it could be that Brees wants more money than they are offering ... either one. :)

gary
03-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Does Miami have enough money to sign Peyton, Reggie, and Pierre?

GP
03-08-2012, 04:23 PM
It only makes sense that he would continue to field offers from NFC teams. The more offers on the table, the more he can get from the team he really wants to go to. The Texans of all teams should know about being used in free agency.

Bingo.

Dutchrudder
03-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Does Miami have enough money to sign Peyton, Reggie, and Pierre?

They may need to restructure some guys, but it's likely they could make room for at least 2 of them. Jake Long is in the last year of his deal, and could be extended and restructured to make a lot of room.

gary
03-08-2012, 04:32 PM
They may need to restructure some guys, but it's likely they could make room for at least 2 of them. Jake Long is in the last year of his deal, and could be extended and restructured to make a lot of room.I see something like this maybe occurring.

ckhouston
03-08-2012, 04:32 PM
They may need to restructure some guys, but it's likely they could make room for at least 2 of them. Jake Long is in the last year of his deal, and could be extended and restructured to make a lot of room.

Which would be perfect since he would be a key reason Peyton would find them attractive. More I think the more I see Miami leading this thing.

DonnyMost
03-08-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm telling you dudes, he's Miami bound.

I'll bet 1000 theoretical reps on it.

Second Honeymoon
03-08-2012, 07:08 PM
If you're an owner and you think you can get Peyton, you have to consider it. It also sends the message to the team that it's not about playoffs. It's about championships and showing a commitment to winning

Lucky
03-08-2012, 07:18 PM
I think the Skins owner would be the real deal breaker. I just don't think Peyton would want to work for Snyder.

If Manning truly wishes to play for the Texans, it a great chance of happening.
Really? Don't you think the Texans desire for Manning comes into the equation? Because I believe the Texans truly don't want him. They (McNair & Kubiak) like Schaub and like the team's chemistry. McNair's staying the course.

Lucky
03-08-2012, 07:23 PM
If you're an owner and you think you can get Peyton, you have to consider it. It also sends the message to the team that it's not about playoffs. It's about championships and showing a commitment to winning
I think it can send a positive message to a team in need of a QB and a leader. To a team with a QB and leader, it sends a message that now matter how much you put yourself on the line for the team, you can be replaced by the next bigger, better deal.

You know that McNair's not going after Manning. Seems like you're setting up an opportunity to criticize McNair.

Wolf
03-08-2012, 08:10 PM
you nailed it Lucky

MSR

Texn4life
03-08-2012, 08:39 PM
I think it can send a positive message to a team in need of a QB and a leader. To a team with a QB and leader, it sends a message that now matter how much you put yourself on the line for the team, you can be replaced by the next bigger, better deal.

You know that McNair's not going after Manning. Seems like you're setting up an opportunity to criticize McNair.

And this is where I think we differ from a team like the Patriots. The Patriots made a tough decision to go away from Drew Bledsoe who led them to a Super Bowl and roll with Tom Brady. Bledsoe had been through a ton of battles for that team and was healthy enough to play when the Patriots went to Pittsburgh for the AFC championship. Now mind you this was before Tom Brady became the Tom Brady we know now. That was Drew Bledsoe's team.

They made the decision that was best for the franchise. Not a decision to protect feelings. These guys should all understand that they should never feel their jobs are safe. I like Schaub and think he can do some good things for this franchise (If healthy, which is a big if). I don't think its entirely his fault that we haven't been to the playoffs with him leading us, but he does absorb some of the blame. He's the QB of the team so he's going to get a ton of credit when we win so its only natural he get some of the blame when we lose. I don't think we should start getting cold hearted as a franchise, but making emotional personal decisions when running a business usually doesn't turn out to be a good thing.

Kthx
03-08-2012, 09:51 PM
I don't know where Manning is going to end up but I can put a pretty good guess that it isn't going to be on a team without a really solid offensive line guarding him from getting hit. I mean besides from him not wanting to get hit I couldn't imagine a team makes the investment in him without seriously beefing up pass protection.

infantrycak
03-08-2012, 10:42 PM
And this is where I think we differ from a team like the Patriots. The Patriots made a tough decision to go away from Drew Bledsoe who led them to a Super Bowl and roll with Tom Brady. Bledsoe had been through a ton of battles for that team and was healthy enough to play when the Patriots went to Pittsburgh for the AFC championship. Now mind you this was before Tom Brady became the Tom Brady we know now. That was Drew Bledsoe's team.

Not by the time it got to the AFC Championship game it wasn't. We are talking about a Bledsoe who had led the team on a five year decline to a 5-11 record. And yes he is partly responsible. Bledsoe's prior season he had a 77 qb rating and you are using this to argue against a guy who has been in the 90s for the last four seasons. FYI - Bledsoe's best sniff at a 90 in his entire career was an 87. We are talking about a Bledsoe out midway through the 2nd game of the season in a game in which he had 0 TDs and 2 INTs. We are talking about a Brady who then took an 0-2 team to 11-5. So we have a low performing older player v. a better performing younger player. The comparison is not apt.

Texn4life
03-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Not by the time it got to the AFC Championship game it wasn't. We are talking about a Bledsoe who had led the team on a five year decline to a 5-11 record. We are talking about a Bledsoe out midway through the 2nd game of the season in which he had 0 TDs and 2 INTs. We are talking about a Brady who then took an 0-2 team to 11-5. So we have a low performing older player v. a better performing younger player. The comparison is not apt.

Fair point..... And it probably wasn't the best of examples. But the overall point of what I'm trying to get at remains. I love the fact that we're a loyal organization that looks out for our players as much as we can....... but I also believe that can be dangerous when not looking at things from a pure financial and business perspective, and acting out of "emotion" in a sense.

infantrycak
03-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Fair point..... And it probably wasn't the best of examples. But the overall point of what I'm trying to get at remains. I love the fact that we're a loyal organization that looks out for our players as much as we can, but I also believe that can be dangerous when not looking at things from a pure financial and business perspective, and acting out of "emotion" in a sense.

Overall point taken, just had to pick at the example.

Playoffs
03-08-2012, 11:08 PM
you nailed it Lucky

MSRGot him for you.

Napa Auto Parts
03-08-2012, 11:14 PM

:perfect10:

silvrhand
03-09-2012, 03:20 AM
Sorry I can't help but drool at a manning, andre, reggie wayne, owens, and our offensive line with both Foster and Tate in the backfield..

I mean seriously... who would not want to see that?

Premier
03-09-2012, 07:07 AM
it sends a message that now matter how much you put yourself on the line for the team, you can be replaced by the next bigger, better deal.

thats why its a grown mans business and not teeball... if you have the opportunity to upgrade for a "bigger, better deal" you do it..

Kaiser Toro
03-09-2012, 07:22 AM
thats why its a grown mans business and not teeball... if you have the opportunity to upgrade for a "bigger, better deal" you do it..

You hit it on the head, and that is why it will not happen.

Manning is in my opinion the greatest QB ever, before the neck injury. Without him, and the salary he will command (this is a grown man's business and will want to get paid) for his brand name, the Texans were two games from the Super Bowl.

Tee ballers take risks. Successful grown men, take calculated risks. We have a road map to success, and fully expect the Texans' brass to execute.

Lucky
03-09-2012, 09:12 AM
This isn't fantasy football. It's real people, real emotions, real chemistry. Football is a game where the whole must be greater than the sum of its parts. To dump Schaub, bring in Manning, and force his leadership down the rest of the team's (and coaching staff's) collective throat would damage that chemistry that has took so long to build. And everyone in the Texans organization is aware of that. Even if some fans aren't.

Had the Texans not (finally) won last season, and would be all in for Manning. Dump the coaching staff, cut any deadwood the new staff didn't like, and change the dynamics of the organization. But, they did win last season. Against a lot of adversity. Now, they need to see how far they can take this. Not tear it up.

False Start
03-09-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm telling you dudes, he's Miami bound.

I'll bet 1000 theoretical reps on it.

Lets hope he doesn't go full on DB and pull this... :heh:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/MANNINGDECISION2.jpg

DonnyMost
03-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Several things have to happen to get Peyton here.

1) Schaub's career has to essentially be over

2) Peyton has to be completely healthy

3) Peyton has to settle for being paid peanuts

The chances of even 1 of those things happening is pretty small, the chances of all 3 of them happening are pretty much non-existent.

Señor Stan
03-09-2012, 09:27 AM

I think you're right.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0915/nfl_a_manning12_300.jpghttp://www.planetozkids.com/images/animals/horse-face-sad-160h.jpg

http://www.orangepower.com/attachments/107858875_crop_650x440-jpg.9234/http://www.allfunnyfaces.com/pictures/Funny_Horse_Face.jpg

coachdent
03-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Regardless as to whether or not it would happen with Manning coming to Houston, I have yet to hear anyone who can offer up how the Texans would get this done under the cap.

Borrowed from gs27:

The Texans numbers for the 2012 Salary Cap - $122 million is probably going to be at least $126 million.

Need to set baseline
42 projected returning players before cuts = 110.0 million before releases

6 projected signed FA = 26.0 million (see below)
Total cap overage = 10.0 million to cut

The chart then went on to explain whom the Texans should keep. I ommitted Foster now that he is signed.

Chris Meyers - 4.0 (if we can get him for that)
Mike Breisel - 2.0
Joel Dressen - 2.0
John Weeks - 1.0
Neil Rackers - 1.0

So that is $120 million. Factor in around $4-5 million for signing draft picks and we are right at the cutoff figure.

There would be cuts to be made. But it's all number crunching to a point.

Matt Leinart - 2.5
Jacoby Jones - 4.1
Kevin Walter - 3.0
Wade Smith - 1.5

Doubt very highly that Kubes would admit the mistake of WR2A and WR2B and getting rid of BOTH Jones and Walter. Walter's number of #3 million is manageable. But even so, this only frees up another $10 million or so.

The bottom line is, even with an incentive ladden contract, how do you fit Peyton Manning's number under the salary cap? He's got to command at least $15 million per year right?

I guess Schaub leaving would clear up another $8 million. Seems like a lot of moving and shaking for the Texans to really commit to.

:kubepalm:

A time to chill
03-09-2012, 09:45 AM

BUT that's just me...

Wow, I couldn't have said it any better.

DonnyMost
03-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Wow, I couldn't have said it any better.

Yes, you could have.

Manning is a savant at play-action, but not since the mid 2000's has he really been able to throw on the run effectively.

And that "noodle-arm, oft-injured" QB you speak of is top 5 in downfield passer rating (20+ yard passes) and also has started more games in the last 5 years than Andre Johnson. (64 vs 63) You ready to trade 'Dre away, too?

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2012, 10:48 AM

im not criticizing mcnair at all. ever since he put a gun to Kubiak's head and forced him to hire a competent Def. Coordinator, McNair has been in my good graces. Then with him signing Foster and taking care of him, he is the cat's meow.

I doubt he is going after Manning, but I would blame Kubiak/Smith and their warped sense of loyalty/chivalry more than McNair.

In fact, I bet McNair would rather have Manning truth be told. He would make a killing on merchandise and could extort the sponsors for more money.

I am sad you think I would put an agenda of criticizing the owner over my own desires for a championship for the Texans...also I wouldnt even be having this discussion if not for Matt's injury. If were going to have a QB coming off an injury, why not the better QB...and anyone with a pulse knows Manning is a better QB than Schaub...and I am a huge Matt guy and have been since day one.

A time to chill
03-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Yes, you could have.

Manning is a savant at play-action, but not since the mid 2000's has he really been able to throw on the run effectively.

And that "noodle-arm, oft-injured" QB you speak of is top 5 in downfield passer rating (20+ yard passes) and also has started more games in the last 5 years than Andre Johnson. (64 vs 63) You ready to trade 'Dre away, too?

No, I definitely would not trade away Andre Johnson. I think the Texans should at least make an attempt to woo Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne to Houston. Our offense with Matt Schaub is good but not great. Think of how many red zone drives ended with Neil Rackers field goals. Also, Matt Schaub isn't really good under pressure situations like the 2 minute drill. Think back to last year's game vs. Oakland.

The Texans have a prime opportunity to turn their offense to one of the best in the league with Arian Foster, Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, and Andre Johnson. It's hard to see that team, if healthy, not winning the AFC championship and making a Super Bowl appearance this season.

DonnyMost
03-09-2012, 10:53 AM
No, I definitely would not trade away Andre Johnson. I think the Texans should at least make an attempt to woo Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne to Houston. Our offense with Matt Schaub is good but not great. Think of how many red zone drives ended with Neil Rackers field goals. Also, Matt Schaub isn't really good under pressure situations like the 2 minute drill. Think back to last year's game vs. Oakland.

The Texans have a prime opportunity to turn their offense to one of the best in the league with Arian Foster, Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, and Andre Johnson. It's hard to see that team, if healthy, not winning the AFC championship and making a Super Bowl appearance this season.

Good but not great?

You mean top 3/top 5 on a consistent basis isn't "great"??

Remember 2009? No running game, tons of field goals? How is that Matt's fault?

Not good under pressure? I beg to differ.
(http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1911184&postcount=98)

ckhouston
03-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Good but not great?

Our offense is great when running the ball well. Matt is not great. Matt folds like origami under pressure. Someone posted the Raiders game to show he was talking to teammates and trying to fire them up. Funny thing the first pass he threw in that video was high, and the last was directly to the defender in the end zone to cost us the game. You Matt lovers can keep talking but I think his days with the Texans are over.

DonnyMost
03-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Our offense is great when running the ball well.

We were 4th in total offense in 2009 with one of the worst running games in the entire NFL.

roooshi
03-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Why Wade Smith?

ckhouston
03-09-2012, 11:45 AM
We were 4th in total offense in 2009 with one of the worst running games in the entire NFL.

Wait, you arent trying to say that we are a pass first team and all of our success is only attributed to the two good years Matt has had in his eight year career are you? Should we cut Foster and Tate to sign Matt to a 10 year extension? We are a running football team "now" ... it isn't 2009. I love that people have to go back to prove Matt's worth. I will do the same with Yates ... I will go back to when he was a rookie and won the only playoff game in franchise history.

leebigeztx
03-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Good but not great?

Fgs in the redx zone are a direct effect of qb play. Redzone production is tracked and falls upon the qb unless you have a good running game. Schaub has had a better running game than peyton every yr he's been in houston,yet the colts have outscored houston every yr especially in the redzone.

Comparing what schaub has had and his lack of success and comparing that to peyton in the same light doesn't even stack up. Teams don't gameplan to play keep away with matt schaub. Miami had the ball for all but 14mins and still lost. Peyton and the colts always lead the league in fewest possession,yet they are always top 5. Why is that? Peyton Manning. He is a huge upgrade to schaub and I'm being conservitive.

paycheck71
03-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Fgs in the redx zone are a direct effect of qb play. Redzone production is tracked and falls upon the qb unless you have a good running game. Schaub has had a better running game than peyton every yr he's been in houston,yet the colts have outscored houston every yr especially in the redzone.

Comparing what schaub has had and his lack of success and comparing that to peyton in the same light doesn't even stack up. Teams don't gameplan to play keep away with matt schaub. Miami had the ball for all but 14mins and still lost. Peyton and the colts always lead the league in fewest possession,yet they are always top 5. Why is that? Peyton Manning. He is a huge upgrade to schaub and I'm being conservitive.

For the record, I'm against bringing Manning to Houston in this particular situation. I think the Texans should talk about, and I'm sure they have, and say no.

I don't think anyone is trying to compare Manning at 100% and Schaub at 100% at the same age. That comparison would be ridiculous and would not be anywhere close to being in Schaub's favor or even to being even.

But what we're comparing is a 35 yo Manning coming off 4 neck surgeries to 30 yo Schaub coming off a foot injury. To me, there is just too much risk with Manning.

Malloy
03-09-2012, 01:23 PM

I think you're right.

Man, all six are hot!!

ObsiWan
03-09-2012, 01:29 PM
For the record, I'm against bringing Manning to Houston in this particular situation. I think the Texans should talk about, and I'm sure they have, and say no.

I don't think anyone is trying to compare Manning at 100% and Schaub at 100% at the same age. That comparison would be ridiculous and would not be anywhere close to being in Schaub's favor or even to being even.

But what we're comparing is a 35 yo Manning coming off 4 neck surgeries to 30 yo Schaub coming off a foot injury. To me, there is just too much risk with Manning.

hurray for common sense.
I think that if Manning wasn't a huge health risk, the Colts would have happily paid him.
1. Manning, not Luck, gives them the best chance to win the AFC South and possibly make another Super Bowl appearance (especially since Eli has more rings than he does)

2. Who better to teach the youngster Luck the tricks of the QB trade than, as some of you say, "the best QB in the history of the NFL" (I don't think so, BTW)

3. The Colts' offense is built around Manning, so why not put him back where he belongs?? If you don't, it's total rebuild city.

Those three things are well worth the signing bonus.

....oh wait, Irsay distinctly said, "it's not about the money"

So if the Colts don't want him, neither do I.

Playoffs
03-09-2012, 01:43 PM
SJP??? Holy threadjack, Batman!

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Denver Post reports Manning will also visit #Cardinals & #Dolphins, after tonight's #Broncos visit. There's your 3 favorites to sign him.

Denver Post is correct. Peyton Manning is en route to Denver to visit the Broncos. First visit does not mean Denver is leader in clubhouse.

More Schefter on Manning: "Miami doesn't seem to have an advantage that it did a few days ago, in the estimation of ppl around the league."

Schefter on #Dolphins & Manning: "I think their chances are dwindling some." Cites same "circumstances" that drove away Harbaugh, Fisher.

John Clayton ‏ @ClaytonESPN Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Manning to Denver makes sense. Tim Tebow is the choice of the fans but Manning is the one name that can trump Tebow.

With Denver being Peyton Manning's first stop, they are big players in the Manning sweepstakes. Miami is still the favorite.

b0ng
03-09-2012, 02:05 PM

18 Indianapolis Colts 16 28.1 450 446 27.9 1,706 3.8 106.6 19 23 119 26.7 4 0 1

22 Houston Texans 16 23.7 379 417 26.1 1,586 3.8 99.1 12 41 96 23.0 7 1 4

theory destroyed.

DonnyMost
03-09-2012, 02:10 PM

theory destroyed.

If this guy considers himself a student of the game, I give him an...

http://fitsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/failing-grade-m.jpg

A time to chill
03-09-2012, 02:13 PM
hurray for common sense.
I think that if Manning wasn't a huge health risk, the Colts would have happily paid him.
1. Manning, not Luck, gives them the best chance to win the AFC South and possibly make another Super Bowl appearance (especially since Eli has more rings than he does)

2. Who better to teach the youngster Luck the tricks of the QB trade than, as some of you say, "the best QB in the history of the NFL" (I don't think so, BTW)

3. The Colts' offense is built around Manning, so why not put him back where he belongs?? If you don't, it's total rebuild city.

Those three things are well worth the signing bonus.

....oh wait, Irsay distinctly said, "it's not about the money"

So if the Colts don't want him, neither do I.

Just because the Colts don't want him back doesn't mean Manning isn't still an elite QB. True enough he is in the twilight years of his career, but I think he still has it in him to win at least 1 more Super Bowl before he retires. Why can't that be with the Texans? The Colts are letting Manning go because they are willing to do something the Texans management have never really done - TAKE RISKS. The Colts realize that Luck may be one of the future elite QB of the NFL and are willing to let their franchise QB so that they can start to build around him. The Texans are happy to play it safe, make minor adjustments while everyone around them is getting better by doing all they can to make their team the best it can possibly be.
I just get so frustrated with the way this team is ran. How could they not even consider getting Manning. Unbelievable!

Playoffs
03-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Chris Mortensen ‏ @mortreport Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Even though #Texans have not jumped in and reportedly won't, they likely would be the heavy favorite if they expressed interest. #NFL32

3m Chris Mortensen ‏ @mortreport Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Manning's trip not a negotiation; does not reflect Broncos as 1st choice, per sources. It's Manning research. Other trips planned. #NFL32

10m Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Peyton Manning's trip west to Denver is expected to include other visits, such as the Arizona Cardinals, @mortreport and I are told.

Ole Miss Texan
03-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Chris Mortensen ‏ @mortreport Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Even though #Texans have not jumped in and reportedly won't, they likely would be the heavy favorite if they expressed interest. #NFL32

3m Chris Mortensen ‏ @mortreport Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Manning's trip not a negotiation; does not reflect Broncos as 1st choice, per sources. It's Manning research. Other trips planned. #NFL32

10m Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Peyton Manning's trip west to Denver is expected to include other visits, such as the Arizona Cardinals, @mortreport and I are told.

I had dinner with my brother-in-law last night and we were talking about "what would we do" if we were Peyton Manning. And we both concluded we'd travel to a ton of cities like New York, Miami, Houston, DALLAS, etc etc. and "be seen". Eat dinner downtown, be noticed.... and just watch ESPN and the media go crazy. We'd eff with the media so bad. LOL. Dallas would be great to get the rumor mill swirling!!

Premier
03-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by leebigeztx
Schaub has had a better running game than peyton every yr he's been in houston,yet the colts have outscored houston every yr especially in the redzone.

theory destroyed.

you proved him wrong, but whats your point?? that youre a good fact checker??? both run games were pedestrian, in the bottom half of the league, and a little over 100 yds separating them.. still waiting for your point..

DonnyMost
03-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Lombardi's idea about signing Peyton and trading Schaub to the Redskins would work if not for one small problem. We have no money to give Peyton (especially if we ink all of our current FAs). The Skins would give us quite a haul for Schaub, though, as the Shannahan-Kubiak connection is strong and they no doubt appreciate Matt's talent. So, if Peyton is absolutely healthy and willing to take a significant pay cut, then we should explore this option, however unlikely it may be.

ckhouston
03-09-2012, 03:03 PM

Manning has been medically cleared to play, his neck is completely structurally healed, and he has been seen throwing again with velocity and accuracy (only questioned that had remained). Schaub has not been cleared to play, and may or may not ever be. I go with option 1.

Premier
03-09-2012, 03:05 PM
The Skins would give us quite a haul for Schaub

skins could find a much better package trying to move up or standing pat at #6. three of the teams infront of them have recently invested high picks on qbs and they could find themselves in a position to select RG3/Tannahill. the rams have decided to trade out of the #2 so theres washingtons chance to grab their qb there..

lets face the facts here with schaub, he wont get anywhere near the return people think hes worth.. 1 year left on his deal, his potential ready date is a bit sketchy, coming off an injury with a low success rate. all those things add up to him just being released to clear cap if they decide to go in another direction...

paycheck71
03-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Manning has been medically cleared to play,his neck is completely structurally healed, and he has been seen throwing again with velocity and accuracy (only questioned that had remained). Schaub has not been cleared to play, and may or may not ever be. I go with option 1.

Yeah, and Schaub will be fully ready by May. :) Sure... The biggest question about Manning that STILL remains is whether nerve regeneration in his neck had even started. There were recent reports that MAYBE it has. I'm not a doctor, I'm not going to pronounce him ready or not ready, or whatever. But like I said, the risks with him are way too high in my opinion.

Premier
03-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Manning has been medically cleared to play, his neck is completely structurally healed, and he has been seen throwing again with velocity and accuracy (only questioned that had remained). Schaub has not been cleared to play, and may or may not ever be. I go with option 1.

thats what i dont think people understand, peyton has been cleared, hes rehabilitating already. also schaubs injury is very serious. more serious than some people would like to believe..

http://www.sportsmd.com/SportsMD_Articles/id/283.aspx

DonnyMost
03-09-2012, 03:08 PM
skins could find a much better package trying to move up or standing pat at #6.

How are they going to get a "better package" by trading up? In that situation, you trade away assets to move up... you do not receive them.

three of the teams infront of them have recently invested high picks on qbs and they could find themselves in a position to select RG3/Tannahill. the rams have decided to trade out of the #2 so theres washingtons chance to grab their qb there...

The whole point is that the Redskins *like* Schaub, which we have many reasons to believe is true. They're not in the market for a QB to draft in this scenario. Shannahan wants to and needs to win *now*, and I'm guessing he trusts a Kubiak groomed QB over a rookie to save his career any day.

lets face the facts here with schaub, he wont get anywhere near the return people think hes worth.. 1 year left on his deal, his potential ready date is a bit sketchy, coming off an injury with a low success rate. all those things add up to him just being released to clear cap if they decide to go in another direction...

More baseless bullcrap with zero support to back it up.

Premier
03-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Trade doesn't have to (and most likely wouldn't) involve the Redskins 1st rounder this year.

Since, you know, the only reason they'd want to trade up is for a QB... and they'd be getting one in Schaub.

youre putting way too much stock in schaub... RG3 or Tannehill are right there for the skins taking.. Rams want to trade out, could open the door for the skins.. hell even flynn will be on the market. theres still a ton of questions about schaubs recovery that wont be answered until TC... RG3 sounds a lot more enticing than schaub...

ckhouston
03-09-2012, 03:22 PM
The biggest question about Manning that STILL remains is whether nerve regeneration in his neck had even started

Not true. The regeneration allowed him to do what he was doing in the Duke video. If it wouldn't have regenerated he wouldn't have that kind of arm strength or accuracy. He is back. Is he 100%, no. But is he 70-80%, probably. If anyone says that a Manning (either one) at 75% doesn't own a Schaub at 100%, they should choose another sport to follow. Olympic curling would be the front runner.

Premier
03-09-2012, 03:23 PM
How are they going to get a "better package" by trading up? In that situation, you trade away assets to move up... you do not receive them.

The whole point is that the Redskins *like* Schaub, which we have many reasons to believe is true. They're not in the market for a QB to draft in this scenario. Shannahan wants to and needs to win *now*, and I'm guessing he trusts a Kubiak groomed QB over a rookie to save his career any day.

More baseless bullcrap with zero support to back it up.

"better package" as in

RG3>>>>Schaub

baseless bullcrap.. sure ignore the facts about schaubs injury.. he'll be ready by may because kubiak says so.. if blind hope is your thing i see why youre so high on schaub...

DonnyMost
03-09-2012, 03:23 PM
youre putting way too much stock in schaub... RG3 or Tannehill are right there for the skins taking.. Rams want to trade out, could open the door for the skins.. hell even flynn will be on the market. theres still a ton of questions about schaubs recovery that wont be answered until TC... RG3 sounds a lot more enticing than schaub...

You're putting *way* too much stock in Tannehill and completely ignoring the context of the situation. It sounds like you were ready to bury Schaub before his body even turned cold. Remember, this is the Washington Redskins and Mike Shannahan is in his 3 year as head coach. He and Kubiak have a very strong relationship and they are very familiar with Schaub and recognize his value. Of all the teams in the NFL, the Redskins would be not only the most likely place for him to go and fit, but also the place that would pay the highest price.

DonnyMost
03-09-2012, 03:25 PM
"better package" as in

RG3>>>>Schaub

Why would they trade up if everyone ahead of them, besides Indy, isn't the market for a QB? How is that a better "package"? Giving away assets to receive a pick that you were going to get anyway?

baseless bullcrap.. sure ignore the facts about schaubs injury..

The facts? Tell me, what do you know about Schaub's injury that no one else does? Are you drinking buddies with his doctor or something? We all know the risks of Schaub's injury, so don't act like you're privy to some information that we're not. You know just as much about Schaub's health and recovery chances as you do Peyton's, which would be damn near nothing.

Don't talk about ignoring facts when you've already gotten nearly every quantifiable statistic about Matt Schaub wrong in this thread (and then consequently doubled down on them!).

ckhouston
03-09-2012, 03:30 PM
The facts?

"Stable Lisfranc injuries that do not require surgery may cause an athlete to miss 2 months or more of their season. However, most athletes are able to successfully return at some point. Those injuries that are unstable, and require surgical repair, are serious injuries that almost always cause the injured athlete to miss the remainder of their season. It is also not uncommon for a high level athlete to not be able to return to the same level of athletic performance even in following seasons. Two well-known examples are Eric Rhett and Duce Staley both of whom had surgery for a serious Lisfranc injury and never successfully returned to their pre-injury form."

DonnyMost
03-09-2012, 03:32 PM
"Stable Lisfranc injuries that do not require surgery may cause an athlete to miss 2 months or more of their season. However, most athletes are able to successfully return at some point. Those injuries that are unstable, and require surgical repair, are serious injuries that almost always cause the injured athlete to miss the remainder of their season. It is also not uncommon for a high level athlete to not be able to return to the same level of athletic performance even in following seasons. Two well-known examples are Eric Rhett and Duce Staley both of whom had surgery for a serious Lisfranc injury and never successfully returned to their pre-injury form."

I guess we can say goodbye to Schaub's career as a runningback then.

:bored:

DonnyMost
03-09-2012, 03:36 PM
he'll be ready by may because kubiak says so.. if blind hope is your thing i see why youre so high on schaub...

Speaking of blind faith. You're willing to believe Peyton Manning's personal doctor's "cleared to play" recommendation without any kind of independent or team verification. You're also willing to believe reports that he was seen throwing with "velocity and accuracy" without corroboration. So, don't talk about having blind faith. You've clearly got an agenda against Schaub, so much so that you're even arguing against his trade value, despite the fact you obviously want to get rid of him no matter what happens.

ckhouston
03-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Speaking of blind faith. You're willing to believe Peyton Manning's personal doctor's "cleared to play" recommendation without any kind of independent or team verification. You're also willing to believe reports that he was seen throwing with "velocity and accuracy" without corroboration. So, don't talk about having blind faith. You've clearly got an agenda against Schaub, so much so that you're even arguing against his trade value, despite the fact you obviously want to get rid of him no matter what happens.

Wow, Oliver Stone is that you? Everything is huge conspiracy to this guy. His personal doctor "and" and second opinion from an independent surgeon in Los Angeles are what I base his being cleared on. As far as not corroborated that he threw ... are you serious? Have you ever watched him play? What is that a Peyton mimic throwing at Duke? His trade value is zero until he is cleared to play, and we do not know yet that he will ever be.

ckhouston
03-09-2012, 03:49 PM
I guess we can say goodbye to Schaub's career as a runningback then.

:bored:

:brickwall:

Texn4life
03-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Here's the thing....... We'd be taking a chance with either Schaub or Manning at QB because no one really knows how healthy either of these guys is truly going to be this year. It's a roll of the dice no matter how you look at it.

DonnyMost
03-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Wow, Oliver Stone is that you. Everything is huge conspiracy to this guy.

No, I'm waiting for some NFL people, particularly those interested in signing him, to verify his health and ability.

Neither of which has happened yet.

Would it make you feel better if I showed you a grainy 27 second youtube video of Schaub walking around without a boot? That has to mean he's totally NFL ready, right?

DonnyMost
03-09-2012, 03:55 PM

You think Schaub's foot sees nearly as much wear and tear as other guys?

Think about it for a second. How much pressure is exerted on the foot of a guy who is running 4.40 second 40s and cutting all over the field? (WR/RB) How much pressure is exerted on the foot of a guy who is 320lbs and very on his ability to anchor himself in the ground? (OL/DL)

If you're a QB, your foot is certainly not the most career threatening place to have an injury, even if it's something severe. If he played another position, I would be significantly more worried.

paycheck71
03-09-2012, 04:04 PM

That's exactly how I feel when I read Schaub haters' "arguments"

PapaL
03-09-2012, 04:31 PM
I don't understand why it has to be a "haters" argument. If you can upgrade your roster you should. No one in their right mind would say Schaub is better than Manning. Even an injured Schaub vs an injured Manning.

If they don't at least have the conversation of what can Player X, Manning in this case, do for us/will he make our team better then they, management, are doing a disservice to to the city, the franchise, and the fans.

Wolf
03-09-2012, 04:33 PM
being the discussion is about injuries. Cloak has given insight on the injuries (for some of y'all fairly new posters, Cloak is a doctor(not an official team doctor or anything like associated with either players ) but he puts things in easy to understand form))

some old info on Peyton injury from Cnd a while back
Only about 4% of cervical spine injuries in the NFL are suffered by QBs. When a QB expects to be sacked, he usually takes a fetal like position, with his head tucked in. Any trauma, accidental or not, to the top of his head by a defensive player is enough to create a herniation of a cervical disc. Once it occurs once, it becomes more vulnerable to lesser trauma. If one level is treated, it can put more stress on the adjacent disc. It can act as a domino effect. If Manning had his 2nd non-invasive procedure on the same segment, he can probably expect to go on to an open cervical fusion procedure (ala Slaton) sometime in the future........especially if he sustains further trauma to the area.

http://www.heads-upstabilizer.com/usa%20hockey%20picture.jpg

post 10
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82094&highlight=manning

and some more from CnD on Schaub
Following the anticipated surgery, screws will be left in place 3-6 months, during which time he cannot weight bear at all. Then probably another 3-6 more months to adequately rehab.

After that, taking for granted that the actual surgery was successful, there can be residual stiffness of the foot and at least 50% develop arthritis with accompanying chronic pain. The degree of severity of the aforementioned essentially dictates the long-term effects on performance. As I have mentioned, performance deficits would more likely to be noticed in players that require a great deal of push off against resistance and those likely to require landing forcefully on the ball of the foot. Of all the positions, it seems likely that the QB position would be one of the least affected. If there is a problem with a QB, it would likely be in an affected plant foot (as is the case of Schaub), where the strength and accuracy of a throw can be significantly impacted.

Schaub has a very good chance of coming back, but only time will tell us if he will end up in the fortunate group that is little affected, or if his long-term performance takes somewhat of a downturn.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86913&highlight=shaub&page=30

I know CnD has posted other stuff about both QB's but I haven't found it yet

ObsiWan
03-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Just because the Colts don't want him back doesn't mean Manning isn't still an elite QB. True enough he is in the twilight years of his career, but I think he still has it in him to win at least 1 more Super Bowl before he retires. Why can't that be with the Texans? The Colts are letting Manning go because they are willing to do something the Texans management have never really done - TAKE RISKS. The Colts realize that Luck may be one of the future elite QB of the NFL and are willing to let their franchise QB so that they can start to build around him. The Texans are happy to play it safe, make minor adjustments while everyone around them is getting better by doing all they can to make their team the best it can possibly be.
I just get so frustrated with the way this team is ran. How could they not even consider getting Manning. Unbelievable!

I disagree. I think letting Manning go means just the opposite. The Colts are faced with a classic Risk Vs. Risk Trade. And they went the direction that presented their franchise with the best payoff.

Risk 1. Pay Manning and let him start, return the franchise to AFC South dominance (maybe), and school/groom Andrew Luck (they still have that #1 pick) while still maintaining respectability (and possibly Super Bowl appearances). Risk defined/Worse Case: Peyton doesn't have it any longer and you just wasted $28 million bucks that could have gone to rebuild your team. However, you can toss Luck into the fire and let him start taking his lumps.

Risk 2. Dump Manning and let Andrew Luck start. This saves $28 mil in cap space that can be used to start a "youth movement". Risk defined: Andrew Luck, and therefore the team, will likely suck until all the offensive pieces that were assembled for Peyton are replaced with pieces to support Andrew Luck. Worse Case: Luck is a bust and, you're right, Manning returns to form and appears in another Super Bowl.

In this Risk vs. Risk trade, kicking Peyton to the curb only makes sense if Irsay believes he's damaged goods.

ChampionTexan
03-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Here's the thing....... We'd be taking a chance with either Schaub or Manning at QB because no one really knows how healthy either of these guys is truly going to be this year. It's a roll of the dice no matter how you look at it.

But the Texans have access to both Schaub and his doctors, and have throughout the entire process. Not even the Colts have that any longer as it relates to Peyton.

Wolf
03-09-2012, 04:49 PM
I feel the same way about Manning as I do with Mario

If the Texans can afford him, fine that will be great.

but I also think the Texans have to look into what will happen within the next few years. Can we lock up Brown with a contract?
Cushing, Barwin, (and I am forgetting someone else) are going to need a new contract also

all these key players are fixing to hit their prime. Would a massive contract to Mario or Manning hurt the chances of those players staying in Houston? or will they be let go for basically nothing?

I know signing Manning would instantly put the Texans as favorites in the Super Bowl talk. however I guess I have my battle red koolaid glasses on,because I felt that last year with a healthy Schaub, we would have been in Indy.

either way I will be glad when Payton makes a decision

on a side note, I doubt Denver has a chance in hell. If I recall Manning doesn't hates to play in cold weather. (I don't have a link so that might just be an internet rumor that went wild)

Premier
03-09-2012, 04:52 PM
http://youtu.be/GOVAiFAmLc4

anyone questioning the validity of this video should be informed that peytons qb coach is Duke HC, David Cutcliffe..