PDA

View Full Version : Colts to release Manning Wednesday

djohn2oo8
03-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Print
Comments8
ESPN.com news services

Peyton Manning's 14-year career as a member of the Indianapolis Colts is coming to an end.

Sources close to the team told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the announcement will come at a press conference in Indianapolis on Wednesday.

The decision to pass on the $28 million bonus owed Manning and not to pick up the four remaining years on his contract means Manning will become a free agent, and sources say that he intends to continue to play.

The Colts decided not to pick up Manning's option because of concerns they had over his readiness to play in the NFL again.

The four-time league MVP missed the entire 2011 season after having his third neck surgery in 19 months, a fusion of two vertebrae. His doctors have medically cleared him to resume his career.

Manning has broken all of Indianapolis' career records for quarterbacks and had never missed a start before last season. He's taken the Colts to the playoffs 11 times, captured seven AFC South titles in eight years, won two AFC championships, one Super Bowl title and a Super Bowl MVP Award.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7653897/sources-indianapolis-colts-part-peyton-manning-wednesday

Nawzer
03-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Let the frenzy begin!

Playoffs
03-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Bye.

See ya.
Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way out. http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smileys/bye-smiley.gif?1292867562

False Start
03-06-2012, 06:11 PM
I think he either ends up in Washington, or KC.

Kimmy
03-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Crazy! I know it helps us for the division, but I sure do like Peyton and this is gonna be so weird. Like seeing Jerry Rice in that Raiders uniform. It just didn't make sense!

Rey
03-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Even though we've known for a while this was coming it's still crazy as hell to actually see it...

TEXANRED
03-06-2012, 06:19 PM
I think he either ends up in Washington, or KC.

Neither of those teams are even close to being ready to go to a super bowl.

The New York Jets makes the most sense. The NFL would cream themselves having the Manning bros play in the same city and Manning taking on Brady twice a year.

False Start
03-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Neither of those teams are even close to being ready to go to a super bowl.

The New York Jets makes the most sense. The NFL would cream themselves having the Manning bros play in the same city and Manning taking on Brady twice a year.

Just my :twocents:

I dont know about the Jets, Sanchez is supposedly a "franchise" QB. :heh:

Kimmy
03-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Even though we've known for a while this was coming it's still crazy as hell to actually see it...

Colts Fans (http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/5843-mort-says-manning-gone-merge/page__st__40) feel the same way. I feel bad for them

False Start
03-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Wouldn't it be a trip if he ended up a Tit?

Kimmy
03-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Wouldn't it be a trip if he ended up a Tit?

UGH! All we need is Peyton and Mario in TN... no thank you!!

False Start
03-06-2012, 06:30 PM
UGH! All we need is Peyton and Mario in TN... no thank you!!

That would truly suck.

GP
03-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Until John McClain says it, I don't believe it. j/k LOL.

Kimmy
03-06-2012, 06:32 PM

I laughed .. which hurt because of this damn cough! Thanks a lot GP ;)

Dutchrudder
03-06-2012, 06:52 PM
I say he goes to the SF 49ers. Best spot for him IMO.

False Start
03-06-2012, 06:53 PM

This just in....

Peyton Manning will sign with one of the 32 NFL teams.

Double Barrel
03-06-2012, 06:57 PM
I say he goes to the SF 49ers. Best spot for him IMO.

It makes sense, but I think he stays in the AFC so he doesn't have to play a potential NFC championship game against Eli.

Kimmy
03-06-2012, 07:00 PM
It makes sense, but I think he stays in the AFC so he doesn't have to play a potential NFC championship game against Eli.

If anything, he'd want to come here to royally stick it to the Colts.

Txn_in_FL
03-06-2012, 07:08 PM
So the guy that made the Colts relevent again will no longer be a pain in the Texans rears. Sounds good to me.

Would love to see him move to the NFC and be done with him.

fiasco west
03-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Pretty much opens up the division for us. Titans are the main threat now I suppose but nothing that scares me.

Luck could be good, could be horrible, but I'm willing to bet he'll never be what Manning was. Peyton was a all-time great and for many a top 5 QB of ALL-TIME. Big shoes for anyone to fill...

I hope we play the Colts on the first game of the season though, would be fun to welcome the rook to the NFL :evil:

Norg
03-06-2012, 09:30 PM
i dont think we will play the colts 3 times n a row on week 1 ....

i just got that feeling we will be playing Dem Titans week 1 prob in tenn

LETS DO THIS !!!!!!!!!!

The1ApplePie
03-06-2012, 09:45 PM
:barman:

Here's hoping the neckbearded hype flops.

Rather face him twice a year than RG3 or Barkley

Mr teX
03-06-2012, 09:46 PM
i know he's been a pain in our rears since we came into existence, but it just sucks to see any player who's been a stalwart and all time great with 1 franchise for so long leave to go play for another team.

Wolf
03-06-2012, 09:55 PM
I was really hoping the Texans would get to play him (as a colt) and put a whipping on him(with wades defense)

What is his record against us 17-1) :mariopalm:

OzzO
03-06-2012, 10:02 PM
The colt is dead. Long live the bull!

infantrycak
03-06-2012, 10:04 PM
i know he's been a pain in our rears since we came into existence, but it just sucks to see any player who's been a stalwart and all time great with 1 franchise for so long leave to go play for another team.

I agree. I love when players are associated with one team. When folks talk about Staubach, Bradshaw, Marino it's a given. Frankly I hope he hangs it up and just waits to be inducted to Canton. As much as I have hated watching him whining to the officials for flags (and often getting them) I would hate to see him carted off the field paralyzed from the neck down.

ckhouston
03-06-2012, 10:22 PM
First team Marshall Faulk said when asked who Peyton should go to was the Texans. I concur.

ckhouston
03-06-2012, 10:23 PM
I was really hoping the Texans would get to play him (as a colt) and put a whipping on him(with wades defense)

I would rather sign him and win three straight Siuper Bowls.

XI CMURDER IX
03-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Something tells me the Colts are going to lose a lot of their fan base tomorrow, or should I say the Peyton Manning fan base?

srrono
03-08-2012, 05:38 AM
Rotoworld Football ‏ @Rotoworld_FB
Report: 12 teams now kicking Manning's tires dlvr.it/1HhV8W

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports 12 teams had contacted representatives for free agent Peyton Manning as of early Thursday morning.
More than a third of the NFL's teams are at least kicking Manning's tires, as they should. Per ESPN's Chris Mortensen, Manning expects to have "significant dialogue" with interested teams and will likely want to work out for a "few select teams" before reaching a decision. Manning insisted Wednesday that he's "literally not had one conversation with anyone" about potential landing spots.

Double Barrel
03-08-2012, 01:28 PM
I agree. I love when players are associated with one team. When folks talk about Staubach, Bradshaw, Marino it's a given. Frankly I hope he hangs it up and just waits to be inducted to Canton. As much as I have hated watching him whining to the officials for flags (and often getting them) I would hate to see him carted off the field paralyzed from the neck down.

While I agree with you in principle, we all have to understand the concept of diminished returns (not that you don't, I'm just using your post to piggyback off of).

Manning could retire a multi-millionaire with a HoF career today and will always be seen as an Indianapolis Colt. But, he wants to continue playing (as is his right), and the Colts have to make a tactical business decision for the best long term interests of the team (as is their right).

We might have to face this reality with Andre Johnson at some point in the future. I would hate to see it and hope that things will work out between him and the Texans as his skills diminish with age, but it would require the so-called "hometown discount" to keep him. He might want to cash out with another team, and both sides are 'right' to do so. I'd probably cry to see A.J. in another team's uni, though.

infantrycak
03-09-2012, 10:23 AM
While I agree with you in principle, we all have to understand the concept of diminished returns (not that you don't, I'm just using your post to piggyback off of).

Manning could retire a multi-millionaire with a HoF career today and will always be seen as an Indianapolis Colt. But, he wants to continue playing (as is his right), and the Colts have to make a tactical business decision for the best long term interests of the team (as is their right).

I generally agree with you and get the urge to keep playing on a couple very real fronts:

1) These are still young people. Folks get too focused on them being "too old" for football or whatever and lose sight of the fact they have decades of life left after "retirement." Hopefully most have managed their money well although that doesn't seem to be the case. Hey if someone wants to keep playing I support them generally. A lot of times I think these late career splits happen based off of history. Emmitt wants to keep playing but the Cowboys don't want to pay out on his $7 mil contract. Maybe if he had said OK I will reduce to whatever he got from Arizona he would have stayed in Dallas.

2) Fans have lost sight of the money involved here. Let's use Emmitt as an example again. Maybe he "should have" retired 4 years earlier after he had broken the all-time record. How much money did he add to his family from an NFL that willingly paid him? About $12-15 mil? That is generational money if people aren't stupid.

So having agreed with you as a general matter Manning just seems different. I truly don't like the guy on the playing field. I think he and his offense have gotten away with false starts for years. I think he whines to refs and they give him flags. But I don't want to see him paralyzed and the flip side of having $200 mil already in the bank is you don't need to risk that for another $15.

Double Barrel
03-09-2012, 11:40 AM
I agree with you completely. I hated seeing Earl in a Saints uni as a kid, hated seeing Joe Cool in a Chiefs uni, and weird to see Jerry Rice in his various other teams at the end of his career.

But, I don't hate seeing Manning in another uniform. As a Texans fan, I'm glad he's out of our division.

It is business, though, and as weird as it can be perceived as fans, I completely understand the perspectives of both sides.

Ryan
03-09-2012, 04:55 PM

16-2.

Colts released Gary Brackett as well. My lasting memory of him will be returning the Rosencopter fumble for a TD. :kubepalm:

J_R
03-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Colts have also released Gary Brackett, Melvin Bullett, Joseph Addai, Dallas Clark

brakos82
03-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Colts have also released Gary Brackett, Melvin Bullett, Joseph Addai, Dallas Clark
By the looks of it, all they have left is

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/thujone/Titans11.jpg

Playoffs
03-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Colts have also released Gary Brackett, Melvin Bullett, Joseph Addai, Dallas ClarkAnd Curtis Painter to waivers.

Andrew Luck named starting QB.

Dutchrudder
03-09-2012, 05:28 PM
On the bright side, this frees up a ton of money for the Colts to go after guys in free agency. Carl Nicks maybe? He's young enough to be playing when they are competitive in 2015.

UFAs:
Reggie Wayne
Pierre Garcon
Jeff Saturday
Kerry Collins
Phillip Wheeler
Mike Pollak
Jacob Tamme
(bunch more crap guys)

Cut/Released/Waived:
Peyton Manning
Gary Brackett
Curtis Painter
Melvin Bullett
Joseph Addai
Dallas Clark

That's 8 starters by my count. That's a lot of turnover, they will easily have a top 5 pick next year. So if Luck doesn't work out, maybe they could get Matt Barkley?

Ryan
03-09-2012, 05:32 PM
I bet Luck is looking forward to the opportunity of having Austin Collie as his #1 WR.

GP
03-09-2012, 08:03 PM
And Curtis Painter to waivers.

Andrew Luck named starting QB.

Ya' know, it comes as a shock that they released Curtis Painter. After all, he only STARTED about 90% of their reg season games in 2011...why would you start a guy, Painter, almost all year and then drop him now?

Oh yeah, I know why: Because the Colts tanked the season on purpose.

You don't just release Painter unless you knew damn well you were tanking the season. His ONLY role with the team was to make it go down in flames. Caldwell had no way of preventing it either...they were both a couple of patsies in Irsay's plan to get the #1 pick.

Bunch of horse schit! Effing Colts. You Colts fans look at your owner: He tanked your whole season for the #1 pick. He ran a marathon all season, sucking ON PURPOSE to get you your new QB. Ball-less man. The Texans MIGHT have tanked their final reg season game in San Fran to land the #1 pick, but they didn't dedicate an entire 16 games toward the effort neither. Ball-less.

GP
03-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Ball. Less.

TexanSam
03-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Ya' know, it comes as a shock that they released Curtis Painter. After all, he only STARTED about 90% of their reg season games in 2011...why would you start a guy, Painter, almost all year and then drop him now?

Oh yeah, I know why: Because the Colts tanked the season on purpose.

You don't just release Painter unless you knew damn well you were tanking the season. His ONLY role with the team was to make it go down in flames. Caldwell had no way of preventing it either...they were both a couple of patsies in Irsay's plan to get the #1 pick.

Bunch of horse schit! Effing Colts. You Colts fans look at your owner: He tanked your whole season for the #1 pick. He ran a marathon all season, sucking ON PURPOSE to get you your new QB. Ball-less man. The Texans MIGHT have tanked their final reg season game in San Fran to land the #1 pick, but they didn't dedicate an entire 16 games toward the effort neither. Ball-less.

Wasn't Manning told he wasn't going to be able to play near the beginning of last season? Painter had been the backup their for a few years, so he was naturally the next guy in line to start until they signed Kerry Collins. Seems to me they just did a crappy job of selecting a backup QB. Looks like they released him because he ended up being a bad quarterback.

GP
03-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Wasn't Manning told he wasn't going to be able to play near the beginning of last season? Painter had been the backup their for a few years, so he was naturally the next guy in line to start until they signed Kerry Collins. Seems to me they just did a crappy job of selecting a backup QB. Looks like they released him because he ended up being a bad quarterback.

I don't know, Sam. I mean...even Manning always had this WTF? look on his face when he was up in the booth. I think even HE knew this was as God-awful as it could be, and it killed him to see this happening to his beloved team.

I think Irsay crafted the scheme from the very beginning. He knew there was a huge chance Manning would not be able to come back, so did he attempt to acquire a QB via a trade ANYWHERE in the shortened off-season? Did he try to draft one in the 2011 draft? And why was Painter the choice for the reg season when Orlovsky comes into the 2nd Texans game against us and moves the ball fairly effectively against us in that game?

Irsay had that whole team hypnotized with the "We might be able to get Manning back toward the end of the season..." with all the talk they talked about how they HAD to refuse to I.R. Manning so that he could practice and they could watch him. It was all 100% bogus, obviously, as most everyone clearly conceded that Manning was not going to back in 2011. But the charade was established from the very beginning, IMO. Irsay had a plan to balance it all; to give off the appearance that they were doing the best the Colts could do while still giving old Manning the benefit of the doubt at the same time.

It was somewhere around 14 games of pure garbage, and the whole team knew it. They played their asses off for two games and won them...one of those being a game where Painter was out and Orlovsky came in and found receivers that Painter never could. Coincidence? I don't think so.

I hope we welcome Luck to the NFL with two complete ASS KICKINGS in 2012, sweeping the Colts. I hope Luck sucks and the plan by Irsay backfires while RG3 tears it up with the Redskins and shows Irsay made the wrong choice...kill two birds with one stone: (1) Colts end up sucking, and (2) Redskins dominate the Cowboys for the next 10 years like the Colts had dominated us for roughly 8 seasons via Manning.

Irsay is completely unethical. Bob McNair would never make his team tank 14 games just for the shot at a new franchise QB to replace the 10-yr. veteran QB. You can look at Irsay and tell he's a tool, IMO. But the 2011 season is the ultimate proof. He wanted Luck, and he was going to do everything he could do to get him. Everything. I hope it backfires. Fate demands it.

gary
03-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Manning is not going to Washing for sure.