PDA

View Full Version : Colts reach agreement on long term deal with Mathis

The Cush
03-05-2012, 05:14 PM
This is surprising to me, I was convinced they would clean house and they are switching to a 3-4.

Colts reach agreement on long-term deal with Robert Mathis
Posted by Josh Alper on March 5, 2012, 6:05 PM EST
Robert Mathis, Ben Roethlisberger AP

The Colts used the franchise tag on defensive end Robert Mathis to buy themselves a little more time to work out a long-term extension.

As it turns out, they didnít need much time at all. The team sent out a release Monday afternoon to announce that they had reached agreement on a new contract with Mathis. Details of the deal havenít been announced, but the most significant detail for now is that Mathis will be in Indianapolis for the long haul.

Mathis has 83.5 sacks and 39 forced fumbles for the Colts since they selected him in the fifth round of the 2003 Draft. Thereís been some question about how heíd fit with the Coltsí defense if the team moves to the 3-4 defense that new head coach Chuck Pagano ran in Baltimore, but Mathisí pass-rushing ability will likely work in whatever system Indy decides to run next season.

Now the Colts can turn their attention to the offense where wide receivers Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon are both free agents. Thereís also been some discussion about Peyton Manningís future with the team, something you might have heard some talk about in these parts over the last few months. Assuming Mathisí deal comes with a cap figure lower than the $10.6 million or so he would have earned under the franchise tag, the Colts will have more money to use on that side of the ball.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/05/colts-reach-agreement-on-long-term-deal-with-robert-mathis/

Cliff Avril got tagged, so now the pass rushing market is basically Mario.

gary
03-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Draft Luck and they just might a faster turn around than first thought.

ArlingtonTexan
03-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Draft Luck and they just might a faster turn around than first thought.

They really only had one bad year. People are over selling thier suckitude even though the Texans are clearly better than anyone in the division.

Ryan
03-05-2012, 05:38 PM
They really only had one bad year. People are over selling thier suckitude even though the Texans are clearly better than anyone in the division.

with Luck i could see them at 7-9 or so but that team still has a large amount of holes.

gary
03-05-2012, 05:55 PM
They have holes but with a few good drafts they should be good to go again soon.

Playoffs
03-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Interested to see the numbers re:Mario.

edo783
03-05-2012, 09:22 PM
To bad. I was kind of hopping he MIGHT be a replacement for Mario. Not real concerned about the OLB position, but we do need a high level performer to add to the rotation. Mathis is reasonably young, pretty dang quick and has a very good motor. In fact because of his motor and not taking plays off, his over all competence MIGHT be even better than Mario's was when switched to the 34 OLB spot.

Doppelganger
03-05-2012, 10:38 PM
This is surprising to me, I was convinced they would clean house and they are switching to a 3-4.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/05/colts-reach-agreement-on-long-term-deal-with-robert-mathis/

Cliff Avril got tagged, so now the pass rushing market is basically Mario.

Mathis is the perfect size for a 3-4 olb

Doppelganger
03-05-2012, 10:40 PM
with Luck i could see them at 7-9 or so but that team still has a large amount of holes.

They need more than luck. They need an o line to protect him and receivers to catch the ball. Wayne & garÁon are both fa and probably won't return.

The Cush
03-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Mathis is the perfect size for a 3-4 olb

He is, and I can see him making that transition but if they run a traditional 3-4 unlike ours which is more of a 5-2 with the OLB's coming on almost every play, he or Dwight is going to have to drop back more but I bet they will play a similar system to ours. I wonder how that's going to play out. There's already rumblings that Freeney doesn't want to stand up.

Vinny
03-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Texans running game tends to have a harder time with an odd front and it looks like we are the team to beat in the division now. Weird how it looks like teams are building themselves to deal with us, instead of the other way around.

edo783
03-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Texans running game tends to have a harder time with an odd front and it looks like we are the team to beat in the division now. Weird how it looks like teams are building themselves to deal with us, instead of the other way around.

Yup, it's weird to see, but nice.