PDA

View Full Version : PIT releases WR Ward

srrono
02-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Peter King ‏ @SI_PeterKing
@FO_ASchatz: Steelers release Hines Ward. I think Ward is a HOFer.

If PIT can cut Ward, Texans FO should learn from PIT and cut our under performing WRs.

ArlingtonTexan
02-29-2012, 06:38 PM
and before anyone asks ...no

XI CMURDER IX
02-29-2012, 06:40 PM

But, but, but...

srrono
02-29-2012, 06:46 PM

lol no way
too slow
too old
oh but wait he can run block Coach Kub's new favorite WR. lol

NitroGSXR
02-29-2012, 06:53 PM

Bullsnip. I'd consider him for the right price. He wasn't cut because he sucked per se. I agree he's getting much older but he's got plenty of life in him. After so many years... he finally became a cap casualty. The Steelers may even lose Wallace too.

NitroGSXR
02-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Jacoby Jones < Hines Ward.

srrono
02-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Bullsnip. I'd consider him for the right price. He wasn't cut because he sucked per se. I agree he's getting much older but he's got plenty of life in him. After so many years... he finally became a cap casualty. The Steelers may even lose Wallace too.

He could not get off the line. He has lost all his burst and speed. 16 of his 46 catches were from behind the line of scrimage.

ProFootballFocus.com ‏ @ProFootbalFocus
16 of Ward's 46 recs last season came behind the LOS. Steelers were helping him to 1k, but he's probably done as a WR

@bakatadi Yea, problem is he got nothing from them last season. Wallace averaged a ton more on those bubble screens, Ward got little

Also, it's not like Hines was doing anything with those bubble screens. Averaged 3.8 YPC on those 16 recs behind the line.

NitroGSXR
02-29-2012, 07:07 PM
That's a shame. He's a bully and I'd like to have another bully on the WR corps.

gary
02-29-2012, 07:16 PM
For the right price you don't ever not at least think about signing Ward.

False Start
02-29-2012, 07:55 PM

Beat me to it. :heh:

GP
02-29-2012, 10:59 PM

Amen.

Vinny
03-01-2012, 12:05 AM
I'm a big Hines Ward fan...but let's face it, dude has lost two steps, not the proverbial one. He had a great career and was the best blocking wr of his era. Time to hang em high. Maybe someone gives him one more contract, but he won't do much but lead and teach. I don't think he can contribute much on the field anymore.

On srrono's comment, I'd put guys like Reed and Carter in the HOF way before Ward (hell, the Oilers Charlie Hennigan (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1077688/index.htm) has a better case but produced in the AFL)...I'd say Ward is a borderline case but I wouldn't vote him in even though I'm a big fan of his. Have always loved his physical attitude and his smile on the field.

Hervoyel
03-01-2012, 12:16 AM
5 years ago this would be a no-brainer. Today it's also a no-brainer but in the other direction. Ward was a hell of a receiver but he's very much done.

imatexan
03-01-2012, 04:02 AM
I was not expecting this yet!

Ward was a HUGE face for the Steelers organization, his toughness and smile made me a fan.

Great receiver, I would love to see him in a Texans uniform but don't think it would make sense.

centexfan
03-01-2012, 04:04 AM
Amen.

GP's shortest post ever! :bender:

Ain't offseason great. :)

SheTexan
03-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Awwwww, come on guys!! He won DWTS's last year!! He can still "two step" just a little anyway!! :winky:

NitroGSXR
03-01-2012, 09:34 AM

Burn.

All kidding aside... eff no! We got folks toilet-papering the NSZ. Tempers flare, feelings get hurt. Blah blah. Its going to get worse when we hit the one-month long "dead" period. Football is what keeps this place civil. It really does. We are disturbed in that way.

1bigfan13
03-01-2012, 10:25 AM
I doubt Ward is a HoFer.

However, the HOF voters love them some Steelers so it wouldn't surprise me to see him get in.

Two of the most undeserving players in the Hall, IMO, are Stallworth and Swann.

Vinny
03-01-2012, 10:35 AM
I doubt Ward is a HoFer.

However, the HOF voters love them some Steelers so it wouldn't surprise me to see him get in.

Two of the most undeserving players in the Hall, IMO, are Stallworth and Swann.they love the 70's Chuck Knoll Steelers...but they were friggin' awesome.

The Oilers very best teams just HAD to coincide with that team of the ages. The Oilers were the best team in the NFL outside of the Steelers in those years. The AFC title game was a better match-up than the SB. As an aside, the Oilers always beat the Steelers in those years. I think we split every year (I probably don't have to say this but we were in the same division for all you young whippersnappers). We may never see a team that dominate again due to FA and such.

Dutchrudder
03-01-2012, 10:47 AM
I'd rather have Ward at vet minimum as our #4/5 WR instead of Bryant Johnson. At least Ward brings a fiery personality to the offense and could motivate guys.

Dread-Head
03-01-2012, 11:06 AM
....I'm not gonna cry...If they're smart they'll let him work as a receivers coach. To me he'll always be one of the best blue collar receivers to ever pla the game AND the guy who broke that Jackass Ed Reed's jaw like a vuggin' MATCH STICK! Start fitting him for his gold blazer and start making his bust. The man is already IN Canton.

1bigfan13
03-01-2012, 11:31 AM
I'd rather have Ward at vet minimum as our #4/5 WR instead of Bryant Johnson. At least Ward brings a fiery personality to the offense and could motivate guys.

When healthy our offense is just fine. I don't see the benefit in adding him.

santo
03-01-2012, 01:39 PM
they love the 70's Chuck Knoll Steelers...but they were friggin' awesome.

The Oilers very best teams just HAD to coincide with that team of the ages. The Oilers were the best team in the NFL outside of the Steelers in those years. The AFC title game was a better match-up than the SB. As an aside, the Oilers always beat the Steelers in those years. I think we split every year (I probably don't have to say this but we were in the same division for all you young whippersnappers). We may never see a team that dominate again due to FA and such.

And I still wish we were in the same division with them.

disaacks3
03-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Jacoby Jones < Hines Ward. Not really. The only reason Ward had more catches last year is that TJ was the QB for half the season.

5 years ago this would be a no-brainer. Today it's also a no-brainer but in the other direction. Ward was a hell of a receiver but he's very much done. Pretty much.

I'd rather have Ward at vet minimum as our #4/5 WR instead of Bryant Johnson. At least Ward brings a fiery personality to the offense and could motivate guys. At #4/5, I can agree, but he'll want to be a #1 or #2, and frankly, he's not good enough to displace our #3.

Thorn
03-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Jacoby Jones < Hines Ward.

Can't disagree with this at all.

GP
03-01-2012, 03:23 PM

Yes.

(I just broke my own record!)

GP
03-01-2012, 03:25 PM

We tried that with Derrick Mason. Remember?

imatexan
03-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Not really. The only reason Ward had more catches last year is that TJ was the QB for half the season.

Pretty much.

At #4/5, I can agree, but he'll want to be a #1 or #2, and frankly, he's not good enough to displace our #3.

Yes really, Ward is unquestionably better than JJ.

Texecutioner
03-01-2012, 08:16 PM
I think a lot of people are selling Ward short here.

I'm not saying that I'd want him as my #2 WR that we need to bring in, but I'd love to get him as a #3 WR to play in the slot. I think he has some left in the tank for a role like that.

One thing people are forgetting is that he is one of the biggest "gamers" in NFL history. Hines has played in more BIG TIME games than almost half of our roster put together, and he always brings it in big games. I think the key is his health though. How healthy will he be?

He'd be a great locker room guy for leadership and I'd love to have him here as long as it's a #3 WR or #4 WR. I think he'd be great for that role.

gary
03-01-2012, 08:31 PM
What is there to lose for a cheap contract?

ArlingtonTexan
03-02-2012, 12:45 AM

I'm not saying that I'd want him as my #2 WR that we need to bring in, but I'd love to get him as a #3 WR to play in the slot. I think he has some left in the tank for a role like that.

One thing people are forgetting is that he is one of the biggest "gamers" in NFL history. Hines has played in more BIG TIME games than almost half of our roster put together, and he always brings it in big games. I think the key is his health though. How healthy will he be?

He'd be a great locker room guy for leadership and I'd love to have him here as long as it's a #3 WR or #4 WR. I think he'd be great for that role.

Hines Ward does not have enough tangible at this point for all of those intangibles to matter. More times than not,a "teaching a younger guy player" matters the most if that player is with the same organization. The weakness of the Texans WR corp is with short area quickness and consistent deep speed not named Andre Johnson. They have veteran tough guys willing to block who can work the middle of the field.

Texan_Bill
03-02-2012, 08:53 AM

I agree with you that he still has something left in the tank. That said, he's not the type of receiver the Texans need. They have an over the middle, physical type guy. What the Texans need is a speedster that can be a deep threat. Hines Ward doesn't fit that bill.

b0ng
03-04-2012, 11:17 AM

It doesn't matter how healthy Hines Ward is, he is pretty much done as a receiver. We don't need to bring in a mentor to the WR's we need somebody who could produce. Vet minimum signing at best and I wouldn't expect him to last through TC unless we don't do much to shore up the WR's currently.