PDA

View Full Version : Kuharsky: What I'd do if I ran the Texans

GP
02-29-2012, 10:58 AM
The money isnít mine. Iím not certain about what you can afford and what the market will pay when free agency opens on March 13. Iím not positive about your plans and schemes.

But Iíve got a good sense of your team. We've looked at your free agents.

And hereís what Iíd try to do with your major issues:

1. Make one, big solid offer to defensive end Mario Williams. Very soon. Tell him itís the best you are going to be able to do now or later. Expect him not to take it. Prepare for life without him and the crushing reviews youíll get when he goes to a place like Seattle or, worse, Jacksonville, and wreaks some havoc as a pass rusher. Take solace that heís overpaid by his new team and will ultimately mess up its cap. Plan to draft a outside linebacker to be third in a rotation with Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed.

2. Free up money with the following moves: Cut receiver Jacoby Jones (due a $3 million base salary) and reserve quarterback Matt Leinart (due a $1.75 million base). Make it clear while youíd like to keep them on your team, you cannot pay inside linebacker DeMeco Ryans ($5.9 million), receiver Kevin Walter ($3.5 million base) or defensive tackle Shaun Cody ($2 million) the base salaries they are scheduled to make. Ryans is a good player and a great locker room guy. But he played 58 percent of the Texans' defensive snaps last season. He can't make that money for that time on the field.

3. Do what you need to do to hold on to running back Arian Foster, but realize you have control. Heís a restricted free agent. A team trying to lure him away with an offer sheet would have to give up a first-rounder for him, and as great as he is, a first round pick is a high price for a running back. I think you can be a little risky here in terms of not worrying about outsiders. An offer sheet could be front-loaded and hard to match straight up. Hopefully if heís offered one, heíll share the numbers because he likes you and youíve give him an equivalent deal shaped differently to get him to steer clear of signing the sheet. With or without outside influence, you should be able to give him a deal heíll like that has a smaller 2012 cap number than the franchise tag of nearly $8 million.

4. Find a way to lock up center Chris Myers and donít worry about guard Mike Brisiel, who's not the same caliber and won't cost nearly as much, unless he can be had for cheap. While youíd like to keep both, Myers is a better player, who's more valuable and has a better injury history. Heís also more of a the leader of the group. You need him long-term to keep that great running game going. Antoine Caldwell can take over at right guard without major drop off. There is no obvious replacement for Myers on the roster, so theyíd have to find one if you let him go.

Link to story here. (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/34511/what-id-do-if-i-ran-the-texans)

GP
02-29-2012, 11:01 AM
I more or less agree with what he said, except his statement that there's no drop off from Briesel to Caldwell at the guard position. Disagree much.

What do you think about his ideas? His article on this issue reads pretty much like the discussions we've had on here regarding Myers, Foster, Williams, JJ and KW, and DeMeco.

I read that article and thought to myself, "Well, all this has pretty much been kicked around on the texanstalk board for the past two months already."

Did he bring anything new to the table, in your opinion?

alphajoker
02-29-2012, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't want to cut Walter, Cody or Ryans but rather see if they can restructure their current contracts. I don't think it would be smart to cut them. IMO, there is a need to have proven veterans on the team for leadership & guidance. History for this team has shown when you don't have a good mix of veterans on the team, it's not pretty <see 2005 & 2010 seasons>

ThaShark316
02-29-2012, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't want to cut Walter, Cody or Ryans but rather see if they can restructure their current contracts. I don't think it would be smart to cut them. IMO, there is a need to have proven veterans on the team for leadership & guidance. History for this team has shown when you don't have a good mix of veterans on the team, it's not pretty <see 2005 & 2010 seasons>

Yeah, I don't want to be the Cowboys. No leadership AT ALL.

gtexan02
02-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Don't risk the offer sheet with Foster. Thats the only real difference I see
Plus, Id try to keep Briesel. I think he wants to play here

Brisco_County
02-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Where I disagree: Tie up Foster soon, keep Brisiel, and don't restructure DeMeco's contract. DeMeco's early contract renewal was an example for the rest of the team. That good faith gesture reverses itself if you reduce it.

Playoffs
02-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Cutting/restructuring DeMeco is a very tricky situation, even if warranted.

He is unquestioned clubhouse leader/cheerleader/motivator -- to a man players love him. Sometimes chemistry is worth more than that.

Everything else is: keep Mario/Arian/Myers & cut Jacoby & Leinart. (Don't want Leinart back, personally.) I'm down with that, as I think most are, but can we do all that?

bah007
02-29-2012, 12:09 PM
QB - Let Leinart go. Draft a QB to replace him if you want. I trust Yates as QB #2.

HB - Pay Foster.

WR - Cut Jacoby. Draft a replacement. See if Walter will restructure his contract.

OL - Pay Myers. Pay Brisiel if we can. If we can't then expect to draft OG pretty high. I loved Caldwell when we drafted him but he has shown me nothing.

OLB - I would love to keep Mario. Offer him somthing we can afford. If he says no that is fine. He is deserving of the pay day that somebody else will offer him. I like what we have coming back here. Draft OLB depth.

ILB - Ryans' deal was a reward. Asking him to restructure would send a negative message. I think we just need to grit our teeth while he plays out this deal.

Double Barrel
02-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Lock down Foster asap.

Agree about cutting Jacoby Jones and Leinart.

Leave DeMeco Ryans alone, but try to work with Cody and Walter, who are both replaceable.

And definitely lock up Chris Myers and Mike Brisiel. Keep that line intact. Continuity is important.

Bye bye Mario.

disaacks3
02-29-2012, 12:20 PM
QB - Let Leinart go. Draft a QB to replace him if you want. I trust Yates as QB #2.

HB - Pay Foster.

WR - Cut Jacoby. Draft a replacement. See if Walter will restructure his contract.

OL - Pay Myers. Pay Brisiel if we can. If we can't then expect to draft OG pretty high. I loved Caldwell when we drafted him but he has shown me nothing.

OLB - I would love to keep Mario. Offer him somthing we can afford. If he says no that is fine. He is deserving of the pay day that somebody else will offer him. I like what we have coming back here. Draft OLB depth.

ILB - Ryans' deal was a reward. Asking him to restructure would send a negative message. I think we just need to grit our teeth while he plays out this deal. Agreed on all counts.

bckey
02-29-2012, 12:30 PM
1-I agree with all of this about Mario.

2-Sure I would cut JJ and Leinart. I don't see Cody as a problem at 2 million. Leave Ryans alone. Try and restructure Walters because I don't really think any teams are going to be blowing up his phone if he is cut and hopefully he knows this.

3-Most will say pay Foster and I agree but I think he is right on how to go about it.

4-Locking up Myers is a no brainer but dumping Brisiel for Caldwell is an extremely bad move.

Dutchrudder
02-29-2012, 12:48 PM
I don't see why anyone would want to cut Cody. 2 million for a starting NT who is capable, not great, is fine. Not much savings in cutting him anyways, but we should draft a NT to groom behind him.

Mr teX
02-29-2012, 12:58 PM

HB - Pay Foster.

ILB - Ryans' deal was a reward. Asking him to restructure would send a negative message. I think we just need to grit our teeth while he plays out this deal.

This. offer something reasonable to both parties for mario, if he declines, no biggie.

rush2112mn
02-29-2012, 12:59 PM
I agree with what Paul has to say for the most part.
Demeco's contract is a little hefty and his playing time has been cut as well due to the defensive scheme we are running now.
I agree with cutting Jacoby but would keep Leinart so you have 3 qbs.....
I agree with how you offer Mario a contract.....and see if he takes it or heads for the better offer somewhere else....

badboy
02-29-2012, 12:59 PM

HB - Pay Foster.

ILB - Ryans' deal was a reward. Asking him to restructure would send a negative message. I think we just need to grit our teeth while he plays out this deal.good post. My understanding is Leinert's & JJ's cap for 2012 is apprx $7m which should get us Foster & a back ended deal.

Mario will sign with enough wiggle room to sign both Myers and Briesel imo. Contracts other than Cody and Ryans could be enough to re-sign Dreesen (unless he gets a starter option elsewhere). I am predicting new NFl cap of at least $124 million. We still can borrow money from a future cap per new CBA. We did not use this tool in 2011 & not sure if that $3m can be rolled over; probably not. Still $4m + $1.5m (my figure though some have stated $3m can be borrowed this season)= 4.5 million which could go towards draft.

badboy
02-29-2012, 01:01 PM
I agree with what Paul has to say for the most part.
Demeco's contract is a little hefty and his playing time has been cut as well due to the defensive scheme we are running now.
I agree with cutting Jacoby but would keep Leinart so you have 3 qbs.....
I agree with how you offer Mario a contract.....and see if he takes it or heads for the better offer somewhere else....You don't think his severe injuries last season had anything to do with his productivity?

ChampionTexan
02-29-2012, 01:22 PM
I don't see why anyone would want to cut Cody. 2 million for a starting NT who is capable, not great, is fine. Not much savings in cutting him anyways, but we should draft a NT to groom behind him.

I'm thinking that between Cody and Earl Mitchell at a 2012 salary cap hit of probably not much more than $3 Million combined, the Texans are pretty likely to sit tight on NT. Not a strength, but the combo of the two guys doesn't appear to be viewed as a weakness by Wade or Gary, so my guess is that they're thinkin' "If it ain't broke (and it's cheap), don't fix it".

The NT to be groomed probably comes next year after Cody's current contract is up.

Premier
02-29-2012, 01:31 PM
how would asking ryans to restructure be a negative????? hes still getting all the money hes owed, just more of it upfront...

leebigeztx
02-29-2012, 01:33 PM
I would get demeco deal down to 3m with 3m in incentives like snaps,probowl,and all pro. This is serious business and with ryans making almost 7m for a 2 down lb isn't good business. Deqwell jackson dea is at about 5m per and he's as good if not better than ryans. Whe they go sub package, which is over 60%, demeco isn't even on the field.

As stated before, mario@12-14m per,meyers at 5m,foster at 8m in terms of cap hit. Cut cody,jones,lienhart, and let all the other fre agents go. They can be replaced via draft or 2nd tier/3rd free agents. I would like to see the texans bring in a someone like brady quinn to develop with yates.

False Start
02-29-2012, 01:48 PM
I pretty much agree with everything he said, except the Briesel thing.

Texaninlild
02-29-2012, 01:50 PM

HB - Pay Foster.

I agree with everything you have laid out here. :goodpost:

Rey
02-29-2012, 01:53 PM
I think the Texans are going to do some thing(s) that will surprise a lot of people...draft wise and Free agent wise.

Time to take the next step and that will require some activity and maneuvering. If you aren't getting better, you're getting worse....Especially in the NFL.

If I'm putting myself in the Texans shoes I would think that Cody is great, but we can get better. Same thing WR, corner, and safety. I'm also thinking that if we brought roughly the same guys back we'd probably still be just as good or better than last year and be able to have a shot at the title...But is that good enough?

Competitors always look to get better. Are the Texans thinking that way? I damn sure hope so.

I don't know what they will do with any of the guys, but here's what I would do:

-Re-sign Mario. Doing this you are set at OLB for the next few years.No need to even draft a guy. Bring in some UDFA's and let the back end of the rotation sort itself out between Braman, Nading and ?guy.

-I would re-structure Demeco. His contract is too high. I value leadership as much as the next guy, BUT Demeco is not the main ILB on this team and likely will never be again as long as Cushing is healthy. Cushing is becoming a big boy now and it's time for him to assume that role. There are lots of guys that are good locker room guys and leaders that you can bring in for much cheaper. If he won't re-structure or if it's not feasible, I'd make the really tough decision and cut him. Draft a talented ILB in the draft or pick up a solid, cheaper vet in FA that can compete with Dobbins for the part time duty.

-I'd keep Walter, cut Jacoby. This is not the year to cut Walter. Maybe next year after we've seen a young WR develop and get ready to take the next step. Definitely draft 1 or 2 WR's.

-If I'm sticking with Schaub, I'm keeping Yates and Leinart. No matter how you feel about either of those guys they are both solid enough to not turn the offense into a stumbling bumbling joke. They know the system. They are familar with everything we do. Yates should get better heading into his second year. Let them compete for the job; competition makes players better.

-Re-sign Myers, let Briesel walk. Myers is more important to the success of this line. Caldwell struggled last year so I wouldn't guarantee him the job. Bring in a solid cheaper vet and/or draft some guys, give Shelly Smith a legit shot, and keep on rolling.

Now the dreamer in me would love to see them trade all the way up for RG3, but that's not likely to happen. :tease:

TheRealJoker
02-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Only glaring error in the article is his assessment of Brisiel. There is a major dropoff. Maybe as much as there would be without Myers. Plus having solid guards helps Myers immensely. Remember the difference in his play when he didn't have Studdard next to him after we signed Wade Smith?

Dutchrudder
02-29-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm thinking that between Cody and Earl Mitchell at a 2012 salary cap hit of probably not much more than $3 Million combined, the Texans are pretty likely to sit tight on NT. Not a strength, but the combo of the two guys doesn't appear to be viewed as a weakness by Wade or Gary, so my guess is that they're thinkin' "If it ain't broke (and it's cheap), don't fix it".

The NT to be groomed probably comes next year after Cody's current contract is up.

I really didn't see anything from Mitchell that lead me to believe he's the longterm answer at NT. We drafted him in the third round expecting him to play where Amobi was in the 4-3, but moving to a 3-4 doesn't appear to suit him IMO. I wouldn't have any problem with the Texans trading him to a 4-3 team for a 4th and picking up a new NT behind Cody so he can be ready for next year.

gafftop
02-29-2012, 02:18 PM
More or less go along with all of you. My big difference is:

Just sign everybody else first and make sure you have money for the new players and any FAs and leave Mario to the end. Once you know what you have left after we sign our priorities, then make an offer to Mario. In my opinion he is a luxury.

May not make sense but i don't want to lose any of the players because of Mario.

Actually on 2nd thought I would not make any offer to Mario. I think any offer will insult him at the time of the offer. I think the only chance the Texans have to sign him is if his value is not what his agent thinks it is in the open market. Tell Mario you have come this far you owe it to yourself to test the market and tell him just let us talk after you get your offers.

Mr teX
02-29-2012, 02:37 PM
I think the Texans are going to do some thing(s) that will surprise a lot of people...draft wise and Free agent wise.

Time to take the next step and that will require some activity and maneuvering. If you aren't getting better, you're getting worse....Especially in the NFL.

If I'm putting myself in the Texans shoes I would think that Cody is great, but we can get better. Same thing WR, corner, and safety. I'm also thinking that if we brought roughly the same guys back we'd probably still be just as good or better than last year and be able to have a shot at the title...But is that good enough?

Competitors always look to get better. Are the Texans thinking that way? I damn sure hope so.

I don't know what they will do with any of the guys, but here's what I would do:

-Re-sign Mario. Doing this you are set at OLB for the next few years.No need to even draft a guy. Bring in some UDFA's and let the back end of the rotation sort itself out between Braman, Nading and ?guy.

-I would re-structure Demeco. His contract is too high. I value leadership as much as the next guy, BUT Demeco is not the main ILB on this team and likely will never be again as long as Cushing is healthy. Cushing is becoming a big boy now and it's time for him to assume that role. There are lots of guys that are good locker room guys and leaders that you can bring in for much cheaper. If he won't re-structure or if it's not feasible, I'd make the really tough decision and cut him. Draft a talented ILB in the draft or pick up a solid, cheaper vet in FA that can compete with Dobbins for the part time duty.

You already have that guy on the roster..his name is daryl sharpton. Solid, cheap & enough of a vet to maybe even replace Meco in the long run anyway.

-I'd keep Walter, cut Jacoby. This is not the year to cut Walter. Maybe next year after we've seen a young WR develop and get ready to take the next step. Definitely draft 1 or 2 WR's.

-If I'm sticking with Schaub, I'm keeping Yates and Leinart. No matter how you feel about either of those guys they are both solid enough to not turn the offense into a stumbling bumbling joke. They know the system. They are familar with everything we do. Yates should get better heading into his second year. Let them compete for the job; competition makes players better.

disagree. The liklihood we have to go to our 3rd string qb again is remote at best. I think yates earned enough stripes to ascend to the 2nd qb spot. I'd let lienart walk as i didn't really see anything or at least enough from him to warrant keeping him locked in as the 2nd string guy....let alone pay him the salary he'll be owed next year. save that money & pick up a young rook in the draft or bring back Delhomme on the cheap if possible.

-Re-sign Myers, let Briesel walk. Myers is more important to the success of this line. Caldwell struggled last year so I wouldn't guarantee him the job. Bring in a solid cheaper vet and/or draft some guys, give Shelly Smith a legit shot, and keep on rolling.

Now the dreamer in me would love to see them trade all the way up for RG3, but that's not likely to happen. :tease:

everything else is reasonable.

Texecutioner
02-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Pretty solid in my eyes, although I'd straight up let Mario get to walking especially since his agent is acting like he's even close to being the best defensive player in the NFL. Hell, he's not even the best defensive player on this freaking team for crying out loud.

Everything else on there is pretty solid. I'd try to keep Cody though and Demeco is really solid either way, but if we don't need him nearly as much in this system, than I'd be okay with his suggestion. Some people may say that he's earned the right to keep the contract, but that's a load of bull really. He wasn't that effective this season and the season before last he got hurt for the entire year. I love Demeco, but this is a "what have you done for me lately" type of business, and that's two straight seasons where Demeco has been over paid. He isn't a top 10 LB in this league either. I'll be happy if we keep him as well though. I like Demeco a lot and would like to see him remain a Texan, but business is business and his value is no longer what it once was as a Texan. I'd much rather over pay for him than to over pay a guy like Mario who doesn't go all out on every play.

GP
02-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Actually on 2nd thought I would not make any offer to Mario. I think any offer will insult him at the time of the offer. I think the only chance the Texans have to sign him is if his value is not what his agent thinks it is in the open market. Tell Mario you have come this far you owe it to yourself to test the market and tell him just let us talk after you get your offers.

Rep your way, gafftop.

I think this is a reasonable opinion. Why put yourself out there and risk being laughed at when some team with a ton of cap space is going to offer a lot more.

Instead, graciously tell Mario and his agent that he deserves to see what he can get in the open market and then let's have at least one or two solid attempts to counter the other teams' offers before he officially signs a deal. It will either be a workable gap to close up between the other teams' offers and what we can reasonably do, or it will be so over the top that we know there's no use in us even extending a legitimate offers to him.

I like that idea, a lot.

imatexan
03-01-2012, 03:00 AM
1. You absolutely have to make Mario a very appealing offer and sit back and see if he bites. So agreed.

2. Cut JJ and Leinhart, I am fine with TJ backing up Schaub. I don't think we need to re-structure Demeco's contract and I don't think he would allow it. I would like to keep Walter, if JJ is going to be cut we can't throw it to AJ every play. So we either need to find another good cheap receiver or re-sign Walter, keeping Cody at 2 million doesn't seem bad to me.

3. Pay Foster

4. Tie up Chris Meyers, in a way this is just an important move as the offer you make to Mario.

ObsiWan
03-01-2012, 03:21 AM
More or less go along with all of you. My big difference is:

Just sign everybody else first and make sure you have money for the new players and any FAs and leave Mario to the end. Once you know what you have left after we sign our priorities, then make an offer to Mario. In my opinion he is a luxury.

May not make sense but i don't want to lose any of the players because of Mario.

I didn't like this when I first read it. But on second and third thoughts, it may be the only way to proceed and let both sides save face.
+1 for you.

drunkcookie
03-01-2012, 08:22 AM
I disagree with his take on Foster... I DO think a team would use a first round pick on him...lock him down 3/13/12 12:01 am...

I disagree with him about Breisel and Caldwell like others on here... Though maybe not hhhuggge, there is a big enough dropoff there where i don't wanna see Caldwell starting (we saw it for a few games, i didn't like it so much)...

drunkcookie
03-01-2012, 08:28 AM
I disagree with him about Breisel and Caldwell like others on here...

Okay, i guess it's spelled Brisiel...

BigBull17
03-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Am I the only person who worries about how much it will cost to resign Arian? I love what he brings to the team, and I would hate to see him go, but I would also hate to have to pay any RB what he is going to cost. Just makes me nervous.

The1ApplePie
03-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Pretty solid in my eyes, although I'd straight up let Mario get to walking especially since his agent is acting like he's even close to being the best defensive player in the NFL. Hell, he's not even the best defensive player on this freaking team for crying out loud.

Mario wants to get paid like DeMarcus Ware right? Love Mario but he is no where near D-Ware territory. Somebody will pay out the nose for him though. I don't see the Texans keeping him.

I have no problem with the Texans letting Arian be out their via an offer sheet. They can still reject it and if its a high 1st round pick, it might be worth letting him go. Ben Tate is not Arian Foster, but at least he can fill the spot well. It ain't an running back NFL anymore, no one needs to get Chris Johnson money

GP
03-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Mario wants to get paid like DeMarcus Ware right? Love Mario but he is no where near D-Ware territory. Somebody will pay out the nose for him though. I don't see the Texans keeping him.

I have no problem with the Texans letting Arian be out their via an offer sheet. They can still reject it and if its a high 1st round pick, it might be worth letting him go. Ben Tate is not Arian Foster, but at least he can fill the spot well. It ain't an running back NFL anymore, no one needs to get Chris Johnson money

Arian made HUGE plays last season, I'm talking "momentum changers" that makes him vital since our previous momentum changer, #80, is likely fading with each year that goes by. He's assumed AJ's throne.

Derrick Ward thought he'd go be a bad azz in Tampa but Hook 'Em will tell you he knew it was doomed from the beginning--Ward was successful in NY because of the straight line style of Jacobs. Tate is that straight line guy and Arian is a weaver and juke guy. The two guys enjoy their success due to their contrasting styles which wears down a defense over 4 quarters. Just when the D is trying to stop a weaver, the straight line RB comes in and blows by them like Smokey The Bandit.

If it means letting Mario walk, then I'd spend that dough on Arian. He's smart too...he gets out of bounds when he needs to, he covers up and goes down he needs to. When has he ever taken a hard shot? He doesn't. Smart dude, and he'll play a long long time that way.

Vinny
03-01-2012, 12:27 PM
I know what Kuharsky would really do...run them into the ground. He's a big Titan homer. :)

Mr teX
03-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Arian made HUGE plays last season, I'm talking "momentum changers" that makes him vital since our previous momentum changer, #80, is likely fading with each year that goes by. He's assumed AJ's throne.

Derrick Ward thought he'd go be a bad azz in Tampa but Hook 'Em will tell you he knew it was doomed from the beginning--Ward was successful in NY because of the straight line style of Jacobs. Tate is that straight line guy and Arian is a weaver and juke guy. The two guys enjoy their success due to their contrasting styles which wears down a defense over 4 quarters. Just when the D is trying to stop a weaver, the straight line RB comes in and blows by them like Smokey The Bandit.

If it means letting Mario walk, then I'd spend that dough on Arian. He's smart too...he gets out of bounds when he needs to, he covers up and goes down he needs to. When has he ever taken a hard shot? He doesn't. Smart dude, and he'll play a long long time that way.

All this talk about Mario being expendable..to be honest, none of these guys who are up & coming up to be paid in the next few years are beyond being replaced except for AJ, schaub & probably cushing imo.

Tate had 1000 yards rushing in limited duty & filled in beautifully for Foster in 2 games last year. You've got to keep in mind that this was truthfully his rookie year as he didn't get a chance to play any last year b/c he got hurt.

Reed & Barwin proved that Mario isn't necessarily vital to the success of our defense; we could also draft someone to replace any 1 of these guys this year.

Konz is a definite possibilty to draft if Meyers decides to bolt.

Butler has shown that he's a solid swing tackle if he has to step in for Brown/Winston/Brisiel & we've still yet to see what we have in shelley smith.

I'll even say that Sharpton/Dobbins or a rookie we draft could contribute as much if not more than Meco.

We're just in a good place talent wise right now.

welsh texan
03-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Only thing I really disagree with is the idea that Cody is overpaid @ $2m, thats a pretty cheap starting NT we've got ourselves. I'd say he's one of the better pieces of FA business we've done in our history, not a flashy player but he holds it down.

I'm not opposed to taking someone in the draft because he's definitely upgradeable, and Mitchell might be better as DE depth, but to say he needs to take a pay cut or be cut is madness jmo.

Oh yeah, and which is more demoralising for the team, seeing DeMeco asked to knock a couple of mill off the tab or seeing some quality depth walk out the door? I'm not 100% in either camp, but there is a question to be answered about whats most important to the team, and DeMeco's leadership is the only real reason I'm even unsure because I've no doubt that with Sharpton next to Cushing the team wouldn't lose all that much, as good a DeMeco is.

Is he really $4 or $5million better than Sharpton? I'm not so sure personally.

badboy
03-01-2012, 03:10 PM
All this talk about Mario being expendable..to be honest, none of these guys who are up & coming up to be paid in the next few years are beyond being replaced except for AJ, schaub & probably cushing imo.

Tate had 1000 yards rushing in limited duty & filled in beautifully for Foster in 2 games last year. You've got to keep in mind that this was truthfully his rookie year as he didn't get a chance to play any last year b/c he got hurt.

Reed & Barwin proved that Mario isn't necessarily vital to the success of our defense; we could also draft someone to replace any 1 of these guys this year.

Butler has shown that he's a solid swing tackle if he has to step in for Brown/Winston/Brisiel & we've still yet to see what we have in shelley smith.

I'll even say that Sharpton/Dobbins or a rookie we draft could contribute as much if not more than Meco.

We're just in a good place talent wise right now.While Konz is good not sure he handles the mental part of calling ZBS for the line. This is where Myers excells and why Kubes went after him. Remember that many were posting Caldwell would start year one at center and now he is not even #1 back up for that spot.

GP
03-01-2012, 03:25 PM

We're just in a good place talent wise right now.

Gotta have Arian Foster. He's worth the money.

Mr teX
03-01-2012, 03:33 PM

I agree for the most part.

i'd just hate to see us in the same situation the Titties were in with chris johnson...or seattle got into with shaun alexander.

Then you look at guys like Adrian Peterson who tore his knee up in the same year he got a huge extension...it gives you caution.

All it takes is 1 false step/cut & a guy may never be the same anymore.

badboy
03-01-2012, 04:00 PM

i'd just hate to see us in the same situation the Titties were in with chris johnson...or seattle got into with shaun alexander.

Then you look at guys like Adrian Peterson who tore his knee up in the same year he got a huge extension...it gives you caution.

Are not injury buy outs often done?

Texecutioner
03-01-2012, 07:09 PM

But how much money? There has to be a cut off at some point. You don't pay any RB what Chris Johnson got.

thunderkyss
03-01-2012, 07:21 PM
I more or less agree with what he said, except his statement that there's no drop off from Briesel to Caldwell at the guard position. Disagree much.

I agree with this.

I didn't care much for this article...... I'm not worried about the base salaries, all I care about are the cap numbers & the remaining contracts.

Nothing else matters.

ckhouston
03-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Interesting, but I would try and keep both Myers and Mike B. Also Cody doesnt seem to be a horrible deal a 2m but if he can restructure do it. Cut Matt L, Jacoby, and restructure or cut Walter (Casey could play slot in a pinch). Try to restructure Ryans and keep him, but he is making too much. I think he would be willing to negotiate. Keep Mario (heard on NFL radio driving to SA today he is third in the history of the NFL in sacks by the time the player turned 26) hopefully he will accept a reasonable offer. I wouldnt want to make him a financial legend, but he needs to stay if possible. Lock up Arian, I think he would get a huge offer if we leave any chance. Some team on the verge would give up a first and pay him big for three years and he would be gone. That being said, I also feel if Tate was our #1, although he has a different style, I think we would be ok. Im just greedy, I want them both.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/18601/free-agent-hype-chronicles-mario-williams

Link for sack total by 26.

The1ApplePie
03-02-2012, 12:30 PM

Running back just isnít that important in the NFL any more thanks to the rule changes a few years ago. Its about QBs, WRs, and freak TEs now.

How many elite RBs were in the playoffs this year? How many have won a Super Bowl in the past decade.

Arian is a beast, but clogging up the cap with a running back may not be the best move in the modern NFL. Especially if it interferes with signing or drafting a few WRs and CBs.

welsh texan
03-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Keep Mario (heard on NFL radio driving to SA today he is third in the history of the NFL in sacks by the time the player turned 26)
Yes but he doesn't make a sack on every play so he's clearly rubbish!

:sarcasm:

Perki-Perk
03-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Running back just isnít that important in the NFL any more thanks to the rule changes a few years ago. Its about QBs, WRs, and freak TEs now.

How many elite RBs were in the playoffs this year? How many have won a Super Bowl in the past decade.

Arian is a beast, but clogging up the cap with a running back may not be the best move in the modern NFL. Especially if it interferes with signing or drafting a few WRs and CBs.

Yes, but you also have to look at why that is... the last 5 years, with QB's like Brady and Manning and Brees dominating, defenses have been investing in secondary to attempt to stop those kind of attacks. Happened in the late 80's also.

Football moves in cycles and I think we will move back to a run dominated game in the next couple of years, if it is not starting already. Brandon Jacobs is a pretty good running back, imo, a bruiser, nothing like Arian, but pretty good.

Think of the past championships before the Colts/Pats/Steelers/Giants. The Steelers had a bruiser in Bettis, Broncos had Davis, I mean, it cycles, and I think the cycle is going to swing in our favor again. What's more? I think the front office sees it and that is why we haven't done a whole lot with our receiving corps. Think about it. The Patriots had a respectable back in their first couple of Bowls, though his name escapes me for some reason. I'm telling you, it's swinging back to the ground game now that everyone is investing in secondary help.

Lucky for the Texans, we have a solid front 7 already, and our secondary is good enough right now, and I believe KJ is getting better. all my opinion of course.

Rey
03-02-2012, 03:05 PM

That may be true overall, but it is not true with regards to our offense.

And I'd say that with most of the top RB's in the league it's not true about their offenses either.

Remove Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, MJD from their teams and their offenses will struggle a bit if not a lot.

The teams that don't rely as much on their running backs are, for the most part, the teams that have pass heavy offenses and have guys like Peyton, Drew, Brady, Rodgers using the passing game as the running game.

Teams with top level running backs still value those guys...

GP
03-02-2012, 04:02 PM

Are not injury buy outs often done?

Yes. If a guy is THAT done after an injury, you do a settlement and you're finished. If he cannot perform, and he settles (because he knows no team will want him now) then he's done and you're off the hook. Not sure how the cap hit factors into it, but injury buy outs are there for this reason.

If you don't want to risk paying a RB big money due to fear of injury, then you could have those same fears about any other position. Owen Daniels and DeMeco Ryans are 2 guys who have about 4 injuries more than Arian Foster has had. You can't "not" sign a RB to a lucrative deal just because he might get hurt. He could be an iron man and play another 10 years and then where would we be? On the outside looking in.

But how much money? There has to be a cut off at some point. You don't pay any RB what Chris Johnson got.

I agree. Just don't know what that cutoff is. I admit I don't pay as much attention to the financial side of the NFL as I should. Wish I did. It's really confusing, though. Like a medical insurance company bill--Good luck understanding that bill, I think the same people who construct those bills are the ones who do NFL contracts too. LOL.

Running back just isn’t that important in the NFL any more thanks to the rule changes a few years ago. Its about QBs, WRs, and freak TEs now.

You did read the Grantland article about the overall value of Arian Foster, right? He covers how crucial AF is in more than just the run game. He averaged like 40 something yards per game catching the ball. He averages 1 TD a game. Nobody but MJD matches his output across the board in all areas.

He's just too vital to be lumped into the rest of the NFL's RB corps. In fact, the league has such appallingly mediocre RB talent that a guy like AF seems like a luxury when he's not. He's a necessity here, especially without AJ being in prime form AND question marks at WR2 and WR3. I actually think our TEs are going to outperform the WRs in 2012 unless guys like Lestar Jean or new recruits take over and assume AJ's throne. And before I get labeled an AJ hater, I have his Battle Red jersey and I'm a HUGE fan...just fearful he's reaching that downward slope in the next two years, the legs are the key.

Anyways, I just think AF is due a nice payday and I think he will entertain offer sheets and then check that against what the Texans can do. Mario's agent will do the same thing. The Texans are going to have to choose, IMO. I don't think all this talk about how it's possible to do it all is rational or accurate. It assumes things don't get weird with everybody's agents and other teams going psycho on March 13 due to their cap space.

GP
03-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Baltimore just tagged Ray Rice today, March 2nd 2012. $7.7 million for 2012.

I think it's smart to tag a guy, it instantly nullifies the emotional aspect for agents and players. They can't even field offers from other teams throughout 2012, so that means a good, lengthy time for Baltimore to approach Ray Rice with a long-term deal.

When it's the summer, and you got a big contract waiting for you...and you're sweating away in camp...you begin to think "I might as well take the deal. What if I get hurt this year?" The psychological advantage is to the owner and front office, IMO. That deal just sits and soaks, waiting for them to sign it.

Link to story here. (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7637055/ray-rice-given-baltimore-ravens-franchise-tag)

BALTIMORE -- Ray Rice has been designated the franchise player of the Baltimore Ravens, who hope to buy some time while negotiating a lengthy deal for the two-time Pro Bowl running back.

Rice's contract expired after a season in which he amassed an NFL-best 2,068 yards from scrimmage and helped the Ravens advance to the AFC Championship Game.

As a franchise running back, Rice will earn $7.7 million in 2012. Baltimore, however, intends to have him around a lot longer.

"As we have in the past, placing the franchise designation on a player allows us to keep negotiating on a long-term contract," general manager Ozzie Newsome said Friday. "Our goal is to keep Ray Rice a Raven. "

Last September, Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata traded his franchise tag for a five-year, $61 million contract. Rice would like to follow a similar path.

Soon after Baltimore's loss to New England in the AFC title game, Rice said, "I'm not going to complain about the franchise tag, but I prefer the long-term. That's what Baltimore, the city, the fans, would love to know -- that Ray Rice is going to be here, not just one year, but for many years to come."

thunderkyss
03-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Baltimore just tagged Ray Rice today, March 2nd 2012. $7.7 million for 2012.

When it's the summer, and you got a big contract waiting for you...and you're sweating away in camp...you begin to think "I might as well take the deal. What if I get hurt this year?" The psychological advantage is to the owner and front office, IMO. That deal just sits and soaks, waiting for them to sign it.

Link to story here. (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7637055/ray-rice-given-baltimore-ravens-franchise-tag)

If Ray Rice hasn't signed the deal, he most definitely won't be in camp. He can't; he would be "working" for free.

GP
03-02-2012, 05:48 PM
If Ray Rice hasn't signed the deal, he most definitely won't be in camp. He can't; he would be "working" for free.

He's going to get $7.7 million or sit out 2012. Once he accepts the $7.7 mill he will be under contract and will be at camp and will have his agent helping on a long-term deal.

Isn't this correct? Maybe I'm wrong.

thunderkyss
03-02-2012, 05:52 PM
He's going to get $7.7 million or sit out 2012. Once he accepts the $7.7 mill he will be under contract and will be at camp and will have his agent helping on a long-term deal.

You're right. I thought you meant sign the franchise offer....

GP
03-02-2012, 05:54 PM
You're right. I thought you meant sign the franchise offer....

Ray's comments seem to indicate he's fine with it, and he's looking forward to working out the long-term deal. Seems positive on both sides.

Deadline is March 5, so not many days left for teams to tag players. My prediction that we'd tag AF might not come true.

ChampionTexan
03-02-2012, 10:19 PM

Yes and no. I would guess Ray will be in training camp from day one. There aren't many franchised players who've chosen not to sign and sit out until the last minute like Dunta did. But if you're saying the grind of camp will make him more agreeable to a long term deal, that can't happen.

The deadline for any franchised player to sign a multi-year deal with his club is Monday, July 17th at 4:00 P.M. EST. After that, he can't sign a multi-year deal until after the last game of the regular season. Last season the earliest training camp to open was on July 27th.

GP
03-03-2012, 01:54 PM
The deadline for any franchised player to sign a multi-year deal with his club is Monday, July 17th at 4:00 P.M. EST. After that, he can't sign a multi-year deal until after the last game of the regular season. Last season the earliest training camp to open was on July 27th.

Well then, that makes it a different ballgame altogether. Thanx for the info, btw!

Wow, so you can only negotiate and sign a tagged player up until July 17th....and then after that, the team cannot sign that player to a long-term deal until the following off-season (after last reg season game).

Gee whiz. That's not very much time. Now I can see why a team would NOT want to use the franchise tag in a case such as trying to tag a guy and then work a long-term deal: The team might pay $7.7 million for that tagged year on a RB like Foster and then he skips town after last reg season game, meaning you paid out the nose for one year of that RB's service...and he STILL left town afterward!

Because after a tagged year, that player is not a RFA anymore...he then becomes a full FA in 2013 and no team would have to surrender a draft pick to us since the RFA system would not be in effect for that guy.