PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Texans quarterback competition

Wolf
02-27-2012, 11:51 AM
" if I had to go to (training) camp tomorrow, I got all 3 of those guys back in line. I know who my No.1 is. What I would do is let T.J. (Yates) & Matt (Leinart) go back & battle for the backup spot behind Schaubby." - Coach Gary Kubiak

Source Texans Facebook page from hour ago
http://m.facebook.com/home.php?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2F&refid=0&_rdr#!/HoustonTexans?__user=1239346820

Rey
02-27-2012, 12:00 PM
" if I had to go to (training) camp tomorrow, I got all 3 of those guys back in line. I know who my No.1 is. What I would do is let T.J. (Yates) & Matt (Leinart) go back & battle for the backup spot behind Schaubby." - Coach Gary Kubiak

Source Texans Facebook page from hour ago
http://m.facebook.com/home.php?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2F&refid=0&_rdr#!/HoustonTexans?__user=1239346820

I heard that comment a while ago...

I'm not really surprised with that statement...

DocBar
02-27-2012, 12:04 PM
I hope to see Schaub, Yates and Delhomme. Leinart makes waaaaay too much money and the Texans are in cap hell right now. IMO, Kubes is just saying the right things...again...

ckhouston
02-27-2012, 12:23 PM
I hope to see Schaub, Yates and Delhomme. Leinart makes waaaaay too much money and the Texans are in cap hell right now. IMO, Kubes is just saying the right things...again...

Delhomme retired, and Matt L. will be cut. Yates will be the #2, and I see them picking up a FA, or a late round draft choice for the #3 spot at league minimum.

ArlingtonTexan
02-27-2012, 01:01 PM
I don't have any reason to doubt Kubiak here. I like what TJ Yates did for a young player in a limited time, but far from proved to be a trustworthy QB. Leinert maybe gone for cap/business reasons, but that aside I see no reason not to make those two battle it out for that back-up job.

nero THE zero
02-27-2012, 01:05 PM
I don't have any reason to doubt Kubiak here. I like what TJ Yates did for a young player in a limited time, but far from proved to be a trustworthy QB. Leinert maybe gone for cap/business reasons, but that aside I see no reason not to make those two battle it out for that back-up job.

I agree that (the cap) would be the reason. Otherwise, no reason to fix something that's not broken given the state of other areas on the team.

welsh texan
02-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Hows about trying to pick up Garrard at league minimum? He'd be a good guy to have around and may push TJ for the #2 spot depending on his condition. Although he may be in line for a starting job somewhere, and may be a lot more expensive than I'm thinking.

ObsiWan
02-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Hows about trying to pick up Garrard at league minimum? He'd be a good guy to have around and may push TJ for the #2 spot depending on his condition. Although he may be in line for a starting job somewhere, and may be a lot more expensive than I'm thinking.

I think your third sentence is correct: Garrard is looking for somewhere to land where he can compete to start.

ChampionTexan
02-27-2012, 01:56 PM

I've mentioned Garrard as a possible addition, but there's no way he's signing here to compete for the backup spot. If Garrard is signed, it means that Matt is out for at least part of the regular season - and very possibly destined for the PUP list. He may still end up competing with Yates, but it would be for the (interim) starting position.

If that does end up being the case, then I think that Garrard is a pretty good option.

welsh texan
02-27-2012, 03:11 PM
If Schaub isn't ready to go, what are the salary cap implications of that?

Does Pup list remove his cap hit? Or does IR? I'm never all that sure on the intricacies, but it'd be nice if the Texan's know nice and early because that could factor in to restructuring big time and help them out for years to come.

ckhouston
02-27-2012, 05:13 PM
I've mentioned Garrard as a possible addition, but there's no way he's signing here to compete for the backup spot. If Garrard is signed, it means that Matt is out for at least part of the regular season - and very possibly destined for the PUP list. He may still end up competing with Yates, but it would be for the (interim) starting position.

If that does end up being the case, then I think that Garrard is a pretty good option.

I would take Campbell over Garrard, and Yates over either