PDA

View Full Version : GB illegally talking to HOU C Myers

srrono
02-27-2012, 12:09 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/228574/football-headlines?r=1

@Rotoworld_FB
Report: Packers flirting with center Myers dlvr.it/1FbRYB

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports the Packers discussed free agent C Chris Myers with his representatives "in one of the technically illegal but nonetheless widespread meetings" at the Combine.
The Journal-Sentinel's venerable NFL writer, Bob McGinn, insists nearly every re-signing and free agent signing in March "germinates" from the "supposedly illegal cub-agent meetings in Indy." Pro Football Focus' top-rated 2011 center, Myers makes sense for Green Bay as a replacement for fellow under-sized zone-blocker Scott Wells. It's conceivable that sources leaked the talks to tempt Wells into lowering his reported $7.5 million asking price.

pirbroke
02-27-2012, 12:17 AM
I think they should hand us their first round pick for such a travesty.

Playoffs
02-27-2012, 12:44 AM
I think they should hand us their first round pick for such a travesty.Or their QB.

Bulls on Parade
02-27-2012, 02:51 AM
Didn't Schaub and the Texans beat Rodgers and the Packers the last time they played? I remember the Texans rolling up over 500 yards of total offense at Lambaeu Field. I'm excited that they play in Reliant this season.

brakos82
02-27-2012, 03:07 AM
http://g.images.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/15281846.jpg

infantrycak
02-27-2012, 05:01 AM
Didn't Schaub and the Texans beat Rodgers and the Packers the last time they played? I remember the Texans rolling up over 500 yards of total offense at Lambaeu Field. I'm excited that they play in Reliant this season.

Schaub holds the record for most passing yards by a visiting QB in Lambeau and it was the coldest game played that season. But he is a suck system QB.

TimeKiller
02-27-2012, 07:16 AM
Am I the only one that thinks Myers is leaving for "greener" pastures? That was a :money: joke not a packers joke....

If I can find the link I'll post it but when he was traded he didn't sound thrilled about being in Houston, I don't think he wanted to leave Denver. Then we ripped him a new one for the better part of 2 years and now? He's probably gonna get an offer from Oakland (Knapp), probably get one from Shanahan unless they have a C already, Green Bay and let's not forget he's from Miami....

And Houston is up against the salary cap. He might pull a Vonta. Make a probowl then make some scrilla elsewhere.

Rey
02-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Am I the only one that thinks Myers is leaving for "greener" pastures? That was a :money: joke not a packers joke....

If I can find the link I'll post it but when he was traded he didn't sound thrilled about being in Houston, I don't think he wanted to leave Denver. Then we ripped him a new one for the better part of 2 years and now? He's probably gonna get an offer from Oakland (Knapp), probably get one from Shanahan unless they have a C already, Green Bay and let's not forget he's from Miami....

And Houston is up against the salary cap. He might pull a Vonta. Make a probowl then make some scrilla elsewhere.

I think that is a good possibility.

TexanSam
02-27-2012, 08:27 AM

Wouldn't surprise me. We're likely to lose at least one of our top players this offseason (Mario, Myers, or Foster). Good teams find a way to have another guy step up. Hopefully we're able to keep them all, but if not I hope we can find another quality C somewhere.

Mr teX
02-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Yeah lance mentioned this morning that supposedly up to 5 teams have been batting their eyes at Briesel too...not good for us.

welsh texan
02-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Well if it comes to losing one or both, Konz looks good in the draft and whilst Caldwell wasn't convincing whilst having to start this season just gone I'm sure he'd be a lot better with a full off season of first team reps.

Thats just looking on the bright side, the less optimistic side of me believes we've found the right mix on the O-line and that those players are products of the system as a whole.

I personally don't see them having the same success elsewhere and I really hope the market doesn't price us out of retaining these guys who we've made into what they are. I also see guys taking 2 or 3 years to get to where they need to be in our system (Myers, Briesel, D. Brown) which is a worry to me for the immediate future.

Ahh what the hell. Next man up!...but keep your mitts off our starters!...but next man up!! :lol:

Section516
02-27-2012, 08:47 AM
I'd franchise Myers. Yup. said it. Work a deal with Foster, let Mario walk, give Breisel a decent offer.

Dutchrudder
02-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Wouldn't surprise me. We're likely to lose at least one of our top players this offseason (Mario, Myers, or Foster). Good teams find a way to have another guy step up. Hopefully we're able to keep them all, but if not I hope we can find another quality C somewhere.

I read yesterday that Washington just re-signed their starting Center for 4 years. So they are likely out of the Myers sweepstakes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/36554/redskins-will-montgomery-agree-to-deal

Section516
02-27-2012, 09:23 AM
I read yesterday that Washington just re-signed their starting Center for 4 years. So they are likely out of the Myers sweepstakes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/36554/redskins-will-montgomery-agree-to-deal

Montgomery
Montgomery played well for the Redskins in 2011, and he moved over to left guard for a while to fill in due to injury. But the Redskins believe they can upgrade on the offensive line, and there's no guarantee Montgomery's the starting center again in 2012. If they find a center they like better in free agency or in the draft, there's a chance Montgomery could move to guard or to a utility linemen position from which he backs up several positions. Left guard Kory Lichtensteiger is also a free agent and recovering from injury.

ThaShark316
02-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Losing Chris Myers?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2011/01/camron.gif

Seņor Stan
02-27-2012, 09:33 AM
I am on board with franchising Myers.

Try to extend him after the tag. He is too critical to the running game to let him go.

gary
02-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Just who and why would any team do this?

Playoffs
02-27-2012, 10:02 AM
We're gonna end up drafting an O-lineman with our first...

Dutchrudder
02-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Montgomery
Montgomery played well for the Redskins in 2011, and he moved over to left guard for a while to fill in due to injury. But the Redskins believe they can upgrade on the offensive line, and there's no guarantee Montgomery's the starting center again in 2012. If they find a center they like better in free agency or in the draft, there's a chance Montgomery could move to guard or to a utility linemen position from which he backs up several positions. Left guard Kory Lichtensteiger is also a free agent and recovering from injury.

Well he started all 16 games for them this year at Center. I don't know why they would go out and sign a Center, hoping Montgomery can move to Guard when there are good free agent guards out there. The Redskins have a ton of money to spend in free agency, they could get Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs if they wanted to and still go after Peyton and Wayne. They should definitely do that instead of going for Myers...

WolverineFan
02-27-2012, 10:25 AM
We're gonna end up drafting an O-lineman with our first...

Is this a bad thing? Great teams are built with great play in the trenches.

People booed the Watt pick last year and the Brown pick a few years before. Just shows their ignorance when it comes to building a football team.

badboy
02-27-2012, 10:42 AM
I hope Caldwell can play center as he has not impressed me as a guard.

Ryan
02-27-2012, 11:25 AM
This is the bad part of success unfortunately

gary
02-27-2012, 11:38 AM
I don't see the point in it.

GP
02-27-2012, 12:32 PM
This is the bad part of success unfortunately

Like my good friend once stated in a lyrical composition: Mo money, mo problems.

If we lose Myers, then let's "go Konz-o" in the first round.

Next. Man. Up.

welsh texan
02-27-2012, 12:38 PM
I don't see the point in it.

How'd ya mean Gary? You don't see the point in a team illegally talking to Chris Myers/his agent early?

If that wasn't what you were referring to then put me right but I'll try and have a crack at explaining it;

Basically, they all know that as soon as FA starts it becomes a free-for-all to sign the guy, your offer of a visit gets chucked in the pile with every other team in need of the #1 ranked center in the league.

What if they schedule your visit just after the visit with Washington, but the Redskins make a great impression on the guy you're after and the money they offer is over what he expected to be offered, and he's already signed on the dotted line before you even get to speak with him?

What if his current team (in this case us) is his only real interest and you spend your time putting aside a boatload of cash to pursue him, lose your current center who's also pretty good and end up in a bind yourself?

There are a lot of positives to talking to prospective free agents before anyone is allowed to that could be as much as securing his services ahead of time all the way down to simply finding out that it isn't worth your time and effort to pursue him when FA does start.

welsh texan
02-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Like my good friend once stated in a lyrical composition: Mo money, mo problems.

If we lose Myers, then let's "go Konz-o" in the first round.

Next. Man. Up.

I really like this as our backup plan, of course you'd prefer to keep hold of your own guy but its nice to know there's someone we could take who has a good chance of working out.

El Tejano
02-27-2012, 12:59 PM
All of this is why I'm in full support of going OL in the first round. If I'm not mistaken Briesel is a guy who can play center too? There are alot of centers in this draft and I like the kid from Wisconsin at #26. We can get WR in round 2.

gary
02-27-2012, 01:05 PM
How'd ya mean Gary? You don't see the point in a team illegally talking to Chris Myers/his agent early?

If that wasn't what you were referring to then put me right but I'll try and have a crack at explaining it;

Basically, they all know that as soon as FA starts it becomes a free-for-all to sign the guy, your offer of a visit gets chucked in the pile with every other team in need of the #1 ranked center in the league.

What if they schedule your visit just after the visit with Washington, but the Redskins make a great impression on the guy you're after and the money they offer is over what he expected to be offered, and he's already signed on the dotted line before you even get to speak with him?

What if his current team (in this case us) is his only real interest and you spend your time putting aside a boatload of cash to pursue him, lose your current center who's also pretty good and end up in a bind yourself?

There are a lot of positives to talking to prospective free agents before anyone is allowed to that could be as much as securing his services ahead of time all the way down to simply finding out that it isn't worth your time and effort to pursue him when FA does start.All fine and good but still not worth the trouble though IMHO.

GP
02-27-2012, 01:39 PM
All of this is why I'm in full support of going OL in the first round. If I'm not mistaken Briesel is a guy who can play center too? There are alot of centers in this draft and I like the kid from Wisconsin at #26. We can get WR in round 2.

I really like this as our backup plan, of course you'd prefer to keep hold of your own guy but its nice to know there's someone we could take who has a good chance of working out.

Well, that's IF Konz is even still on the board at #26. Some teams are not going to draft the sexy pick (QB, WR, RB, CB, S, etc.) and at that point a guy like Konz could be on somebody's radar.

IF we lost Myers and needed a quality long-term center, is Konz that guy? Is a Day 1 starter like a JJ Watt was last year? If he's THAT good, teams will be gunning for him. Will Smithiak be willing to trade up for him IF he's that good and IF he's a hot commodity on draft day? Lots of "if's" going on, for sure.

All fine and good but still not worth the trouble though IMHO.

These guys are trying to put their toe on the line, and even dangle it OVER the line if it means they get an edge on the competition. Happens all the time. It's the old "if you're not cheating, you're not trying" approach. Is it worth it? Probably not. Is somebody foolish enough to try it? Absolutely.

I'd love it if Green Bay got popped for tampering, but I doubt it happens. All teams, to a degree, do a little toe-dangling on this issue. I would imagine that the Texans have let Green Bay's people know that it's onto them and any more of this type of stuff will not be tolerated. Texans are onto this, for sure--Bob McNair, IIRC, personally initiated a meeting with Goodell over the whole Brian Cushing saga, I'd imagine they've gone to bat with the League Office over the Chris Myers/Green Bay thing too.

welsh texan
02-27-2012, 02:06 PM
It definitely is worth the effort, certainly a lot less effort than making your case when the bullets start flying in FA.

It happens all the time in soccer, Christiano Ronaldo was tapped up for 2 years before he moved to Real, Reyes, Anelka, Fabregas, all deals where the player had agreed to join long before the clubs had agreed a fee.

Also, if the current club makes an offer between now and free agency, Myers could well choose to sign that if he thinks it meets his own valuation, but GB, given their current C is demanding $7.5m reportedly, may be able to far outstrip that offer whilst making a significant saving on their current player and upgrading the position.

There's a lot at stake so its hardly surprising.

And btw, cases of 'tapping up' are extremely hard to prove outright, I'd be very surprised if the Texans are able to force the league to take any action against GB.

b0ng
02-27-2012, 02:14 PM
There is a possibility that we would get GB's 6th round pick out of this. Didn't the Lions lose a pick to the Chiefs a year or two ago for talking midseason about getting some chiefs defenders?

I think GB is talking to Myers because apparently Scott Wells wants like $7.5million a year.

Section516
02-27-2012, 02:21 PM
There is a possibility that we would get GB's 6th round pick out of this. Didn't the Lions lose a pick to the Chiefs a year or two ago for talking midseason about getting some chiefs defenders?

I think GB is talking to Myers because apparently Scott Wells wants like $7.5million a year.

And Myers is higher rated, no? Interesting contract numbers.

badboy
02-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Guessig that Myer's people let it slip?

Porky
02-27-2012, 03:26 PM
I don't see the Texans drafting an interior lineman #1 almost nearly any circumstance. What in Kubes history suggests such a thing? Sometimes I think you guys just make stuff up. He builds his offense from the outside in. Just look at the guys we are talking about. Myers was secured for a #6 pick and Mike B was an NFL Europe guy was was not ever drafted.

I could see as high as a #2 if we lost both Mike B and Chris M but I would hope we would snare a vet or two as well if the bloodletting was that bad.

ArlingtonTexan
02-27-2012, 04:31 PM
I don't see the Texans drafting an interior lineman #1 almost nearly any circumstance. What in Kubes history suggests such a thing? Sometimes I think you guys just make stuff up. He builds his offense from the outside in. Just look at the guys we are talking about. Myers was secured for a #6 pick and Mike B was an NFL Europe guy was was not ever drafted.

I could see as high as a #2 if we lost both Mike B and Chris M but I would hope we would snare a vet or two as well if the bloodletting was that bad.

Well, there is not enough evidence to conclude in anyway what offensive positions the Kubiak Texans will draft early considering they have taken on 1 player in the 1st round (Brown) and one in the 2nd (Tate).

At some point talent and need will dictate that more investment will be needed in offense whether it be $$$ or draft picks.

Rey
02-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Is Jeff Saturday retiring?

Would he be a good fit here if we lose Myers?

redwhiteblue
02-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Would be great if Decastro would drop near 26

WolverineFan
02-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Would be great if Decastro would drop near 26

I would faint. Guy is the next Steve Hutchinson. Will not happen though unfortunately...

Dutchrudder
02-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Guessig that Myer's people let it slip?

What would be awesome is if Myers knows he wants to retire a Texan and he's trying to help the team out by getting some draft picks via tampering. Maybe we could snag the Packers 5th over this... :D

gary
02-27-2012, 08:52 PM
I guess I am just a play by the rules type.

Texecutioner
02-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Yeah lance mentioned this morning that supposedly up to 5 teams have been batting their eyes at Briesel too...not good for us.

No it isn't, but remember a time where the thought of that was a punchline?

Not the worst of days for a Texan fan. :fans:

amazing80
02-28-2012, 10:55 AM
They are talking to his agent and that is not illegal IIRC

Goldensilence
02-28-2012, 03:21 PM
I'd really love for Myers to stay around, but if he doesn't you've really got to think interior line help moves to the forefront of draft day concerns. If I'm Myers I'm looking around for teams that have good guard play anda zone scheme. He's not big enough to hold the point of attack at center in a power man scheme. If team are asking him to do so, they'll be disappointed. He's great in space though.

I'm ok with Brisiel leaving, though I'd also like to see him stay for continuity reasons. He's had such an up and down time here.

I really have to credit the work John Benton has done here. I think he's done a good job working with what he's been giving. I'd really like to see what he could do with some elite talent in the middle of the line.

Also curious to see what a healthy Shelley Smith could be capable of.

Caldwell was an All-American at center but hasn't seemed to catch on at guard. Perhaps a move back to center is just better suited for him?

Texan_Bill
02-28-2012, 08:11 PM
No it isn't, but remember a time where the thought of that was a punchline?

Not the worst of days for a Texan fan. :fans:

Really good point.

At one time:
A) No one wanted our players, and;
B) No one wanted to come here.

Now teams are "batting their eyelashes" and we're scoring some pretty good FA's (i.e. JJo and Manning)...

steelbtexan
02-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Losing two 5ths of the best OL in the NFL is not good.

Hopefully MW gets re-signed with the $$$$ saved.

Everybody should be worried since the OL has played together for a long time and relies on chemistry and timing. Everybody should be worried if both Myers and Briesel walk.

gary
02-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Losing both is very possible and would be very bad.

Texan_Bill
02-28-2012, 09:56 PM
We lose Mario (fair enough)... We don't lose anyone else if we're inferring Myers or Brieslel...

That said, who the eff are y'all talking about??

steelbtexan
02-28-2012, 10:07 PM
I'm not talking about anybody in particular.

Losing Myers and Briesel would be a major setback for the team as a whole. The OL was the strength of the team along with the LB's last yr. IMHO

Texan_Bill
02-28-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm not talking about anybody in particular.

Losing Myers and Briesel would be a major setback for the team as a whole. The OL was the strength of the team along with the LB's last yr. IMHO

JUP!!! We're on the same page, I believe!!!

steelbtexan
02-28-2012, 10:20 PM
JUP!!! We're on the same page, I believe!!!

I hope that the Packers are using Myers as leverage to re-sign Wells.

They can afford to lose Myers (it would hurt more) or Briesel (still would hurt) But losing both would be terrible.

Ricks going to have to earn his $$$$ this offseason and next offseason. How good of a job he does will shape this franchise for the next decade. IMHO

Dutchrudder
02-28-2012, 10:46 PM
I hope that the Packers are using Myers as leverage to re-sign Wells.

They can afford to lose Myers (it would hurt more) or Briesel (still would hurt) But losing both would be terrible.

Ricks going to have to earn his $$$$ this offseason and next offseason. How good of a job he does will shape this franchise for the next decade. IMHO

It would be nice if he earned his $$$$ every season... :kitten:

Seņor Stan
02-29-2012, 10:05 AM
It would be nice if he earned his $$$$ every season... :kitten:

Sincerely,

the 2007 draft

ckhouston
02-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Losing both is very possible and would be very bad.

Especially since the zone blocking scheme can take some time to master and this line is finally working great together. I want to see it back, in its entirety next year. We are a running football team and need them to stay together. With new blood it could get real ugly.

gary
02-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Especially since the zone blocking scheme can take some time to master and this line is finally working great together. I want to see it back, in its entirety next year. We are a running football team and need them to stay together. With new blood it could get real ugly.I'd pay them and just let Mario walk because they mean much more to the zone blocking than Mario is to the defense IMHO.

redwhiteblue
03-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Myers will test free agency
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/01/chris-myers-willtest-the-market/

b0ng
03-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Myers will test free agency
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/01/chris-myers-willtest-the-market/

This should pretty much be labeled an opinion piece (like most of PFT's crap) because it is severely lacking in facts.

Doppelganger
03-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Here are the steps:

1. Let Mario walk. We simply cannot afford to pay him top dollar.
2. Sign Foster to a reasonable contract. Say 6 mill per year for 5 years.
3. Slap the franchise tag on Myers. A center franchise tag is not too bad and it will allow time to work out a longer term deal.
4. While Myers is under franchise tag resign Briesel.
5. With Briesel and Foster signed, work out longer deal for Myers.

Dutchrudder
03-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Here are the steps:

1. Let Mario walk. We simply cannot afford to pay him top dollar.
2. Sign Foster to a reasonable contract. Say 6 mill per year for 5 years.
3. Slap the franchise tag on Myers. A center franchise tag is not too bad and it will allow time to work out a longer term deal.
4. While Myers is under franchise tag resign Briesel.
5. With Briesel and Foster signed, work out longer deal for Myers.

All offensive lineman have the same value. This year it will cost $9.4 million to F tag Myers. That's too much for him obviously.

http://www.draftinsiders.com/content/nfl-free-agency-2012-franchise-tag-values-position

leebigeztx
03-03-2012, 02:08 AM
All offensive lineman have the same value. This year it will cost $9.4 million to F tag Myers. That's too much for him obviously.

http://www.draftinsiders.com/content/nfl-free-agency-2012-franchise-tag-values-position

Yep, they have the ol as a whole. He's going to get some action. Until the texans redo sme come contracts prior to free agency,they can't really do anything until free agency starts. Jason brown got 5-35m with 22m signing bonus and 24m in the 1st 2yrs. Mangold got 5-55m. Davis baas of the giants is getting 16.9m in the first 3 yrs. If we kinda split the difference, meyers will get close to what brown got when he was the highest paid. He's better at what he does than maas. 5yrs 30m with 15m g jack.

ArlingtonTexan
03-03-2012, 09:05 AM
This should pretty much be labeled an opinion piece (like most of PFT's crap) because it is severely lacking in facts.

Aren't all articles about free agency this time of the year speculation with no real facts? The only facts come about when a player actually signs or a team actually places some sort of tag/tender on a player.

Lucky
03-03-2012, 10:41 AM
All offensive lineman have the same value.

Which makes zero sense. The tag differentiates between cornerback and safety. But, not tackle, guard, and center? It's a good deal for the guards and centers around the league, that's for sure.

Big Lou
03-03-2012, 02:59 PM
What happened to the Transition Tag? Anybody know if that still exists?

Lucky
03-03-2012, 03:09 PM
What happened to the Transition Tag? Anybody know if that still exists?
Still exists. But how much difference is there between the top 5 O-line salaries and the top 10 O-line salaries? Besides, teams can only designate either the franchise or the transition tag once in a given year. And the Texans need to keep the franchise option open for Arian Foster.