PDA

View Full Version : Texans cap at 6.8 Million

srrono
02-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Omar Kelly beat reporter for MIA, where he got our cap number I dont know. A lot of team cap numbers have been coming out today.

Omar Kelly
Also In Football
I initially thought there was NO WAY the Houston Texans would let Mario Williams get free, but I'm changing my tune after crunching the numbers. The Texans have about $6.8 million to work with in salary cap space for 2012. And they have to re-sign Arian Foster and Williams, who will likely get a record setting deal. That means they'll be cutting a ton of players, and letting many free agents walk no matter who they redo. Houston need to start restructuring some deals or they'll be picked apart.
http://www.sulia.com/channel/miami-dolphins/f/12299cd7-0d7b-4867-8851-1fb7075ceb64/?source=twitter

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly
I need the list of free agents on the Houston Texans and Green Bay Packers because both franchises are about to get plundered.

Ryan
02-20-2012, 05:24 PM
That's better than i originally thought.

Bulls on Parade
02-20-2012, 05:26 PM
That's better than i originally thought.
Same. I thought they had $1 or $2 million under the cap. $6.8 million makes me feel a lot better and Rick Smith is smart enough to make it all work. He'll restructure enough contracts to make it all work.

michaelm
02-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Sounds like this guy doesn't really know what he's talking about with regards to the comment about the team getting plundered.
There is WAY too much time between now and the time that teams must meet the salary cap.
There will be a lot of maneuvering between now and then, and it will be performed by men who know a whole lot more about the salary cap than this beat writer will ever know in his lifetime.

Dutchrudder
02-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Same. I thought they had $1 or $2 million under the cap. $6.8 million makes me feel a lot better and Rick Smith is smart enough to make it all work. He'll restructure enough contracts to make it all work.

Those 1-2 million figures were for 2011 space. That's before you remove expiring deals and dead money. Lots of estimates have been thrown around but subtracting Mario alone should add 18 million from that number. We should have a lot more than 6.8 million to work with in 2012.

Big Lou
02-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Omar Kelly beat reporter for MIA, where he got our cap number I dont know. A lot of team cap numbers have been coming out today.

Omar Kelly
Also In Football
I initially thought there was NO WAY the Houston Texans would let Mario Williams get free, but I'm changing my tune after crunching the numbers. The Texans have about $6.8 million to work with in salary cap space for 2012. And they have to re-sign Arian Foster and Williams, who will likely get a record setting deal. That means they'll be cutting a ton of players, and letting many free agents walk no matter who they redo. Houston need to start restructuring some deals or they'll be picked apart.
http://www.sulia.com/channel/miami-dolphins/f/12299cd7-0d7b-4867-8851-1fb7075ceb64/?source=twitter

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly
I need the list of free agents on the Houston Texans and Green Bay Packers because both franchises are about to get plundered.

Thanks for the post!!!

I'm thinking its all about context and how the number applys. I mean I just don't see only having 6.8 million to work with when Mario's huge final contract year is coming off the books. Wasn't his final contract year worth like 18 mil or something?

I'm not worrying about the cap until we start to see the behaviour of Rick Smith as soon as FA begins.

amazing80
02-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the post!!!

I'm thinking its all about context and how the number applys. I mean I just don't see only having 6.8 million to work with when Mario's huge final contract year is coming off the books. Wasn't his final contract year worth like 18 mil or something?

I'm not worrying about the cap until we start to see the behaviour of Rick Smith as soon as FA begins.

Honestly no one has any idea what he made, numerous sites say he only had 15.150 against the cap this season, but mcclain is pumping out 18 M which the ONLY site I see who has that is rotoworld and i wouldnt put it past him to just use their numbers.....

leebigeztx
02-20-2012, 06:02 PM
As I stated in the mario thread, gil brandt and pat kirwin both have told me with the 53 man roster, the texans have 112m committed to salaries of a 121m cap. That's a little lest than 9m. That's including mario and his 18m cap figure. They can knock his cap down to 12m and now they have 15m to do foster and myers. Foster can be a 8m and meyers 4m and texans still have 3m cap room before cutting scrubs like cody and and walters and create another 7m.

AnthonyE
02-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Sounds like this guy doesn't really know what he's talking about with regards to the comment about the team getting plundered.
There is WAY too much time between now and the time that teams must meet the salary cap.
There will be a lot of maneuvering between now and then, and it will be performed by men who know a whole lot more about the salary cap than this beat writer will ever know in his lifetime.

I personally think this guy needs to stick to covering the dolphins.

The Medic01
02-20-2012, 06:17 PM
But doesn't that go up once the contracts of our 2012 FA's are up or is this number taking that into account.

Ryan
02-20-2012, 06:17 PM

Probably mad about his team being 0-6 or 0-7 against us.

TEXANRED
02-20-2012, 06:19 PM
As I stated in the mario thread, gil brandt and pat kirwin both have told me with the 53 man roster, the texans have 112m committed to salaries of a 121m cap. That's a little lest than 9m. That's including mario and his 18m cap figure. They can knock his cap down to 12m and now they have 15m to do foster and myers. Foster can be a 8m and meyers 4m and texans still have 3m cap room before cutting scrubs like cody and and walters and create another 7m.

I like your post except for the Cody is a scrub part.

I thought Foster was still under contract through next year?

In any case if you put a gun to my head and made me choose between Mario and Foster I would take Mario. We lose a lot of depth if Mario is gone. If Foster leaves Tate starts and we pick up another UFA or late round pick.

Don't get me wrong, I love Foster, I just think replacing Mario would be a bigger hill to climb.

The Medic01
02-20-2012, 06:22 PM

I thought Foster was still under contract through next year?

In any case if you put a gun to my head and made me choose between Mario and Foster I would take Mario. We lose a lot of depth if Mario is gone. If Foster leaves Tate starts and we pick up another UFA or late round pick.

Don't get me wrong, I love Foster, I just think replacing Mario would be a bigger hill to climb.

Judging from this and your sig you are a long way from being sober my friend. We have plenty of OLB depth and will add some over the draft without Mario and I love Tate but he is not on Fosters level. He doesn't have the speed, vision, smooth running ability, or pass catching ability that Foster does.

srrono
02-20-2012, 06:30 PM
I feel that if this 6.8 million number is correct that R.Smith can work some magic and get our FAs signed after all he was able last year to add 2 big FAs when our cap numbers seemed dim.

Dutchrudder
02-20-2012, 06:37 PM

Seriously. Look at this tweet:

I find it hard to believe the New York Jets will be major players in free agency considering Rex Ryan's team are projected to have $2.3 million to work with in cap space in 2012. That means the pipe dream of Peyton Manning playing in New York with his brother would require a major roster purge.

I don't think I have read anything that says the Jets will sign Peyton in free agency alone. Everything regarding that has been about releasing Sanchez and his huge contract to free up room this year to sign Peyton. It's a swap, not a major roster purge. No source that I know of has said the Jets can afford much in free agency given their current roster. They moved so much money to this year after trying to Aso, that they have almost no wiggle room with the cap.

Texecutioner
02-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Seeing those figures leads me to believe that the Texans would have to be complete idiots if they resign Mario Williams after the season they just had without him.

ThaShark316
02-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Seeing those figures leads me to believe that the Texans would have to be complete idiots if they resign Mario Williams after the season they just had without him.

Even with how they could work everything out like leebigeztx said? Not sure I understand why they'd be idiots for working things like he stated....

cbs1507
02-20-2012, 07:16 PM

Omar Kelly
Also In Football

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly

Bro we have 17 FAs and 12 roster spots to fill (5 were IR replacements). Do you honestly think we can sign Arian Foster and 11 other guys (let alone Mario Williams) with only $6.8 million? Keep in mind that we have to set about $5 million aside for our rookies under the new CBA. So let's say we draft about 7 rookies. That means $1.8 million for Foster and 4 other guys. IMPOSSIBLE. Free Agency does not start until March 13th, which is the beginning of the new league year. Therefore we have 17 contracts still on the books until then. I say this is good news and an indication that the $120.375 million cap from 2011 has increase for 2012. We'll have 17 contracts coming off the books to ADD to that $6.8 million or whatever figure we are under the cap.

srrono
02-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Bro we have 17 FAs and 12 roster spots to fill (5 were IR replacements). Do you honestly think we can sign Arian Foster and 11 other guys (let alone Mario Williams) with only $6.8 million? Keep in mind that we have to set about $5 million aside for our rookies. So let's say we draft about 7 rookies. That means $1.8 million for Foster and 4 other guys. IMPOSSIBLE. Free Agency does not start until March 13th, which is the beginning of the new league year. Therefore we have 17 contracts still on the books until then. I say this is good news and an indication that the $120.375 million cap from 2011 has increase for 2012.

We dont know what the plans are could be some cuts JJ Leinart for example. Restrutre some contracts. Let some FAs go we dont know the plan we have to wait and see.

thunderkyss
02-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Those 1-2 million figures were for 2011 space. That's before you remove expiring deals and dead money. Lots of estimates have been thrown around but subtracting Mario alone should add 18 million from that number. We should have a lot more than 6.8 million to work with in 2012.

I don't know. Why would people be "publishing" our 2011 cap number? They know the 2012 number is the important number. Right, or am I looking at something wrong?

It doesn't matter if Schaub, Antonio Smith, & Demeco had an $8M number in 2011, what's important is their contracts may escalate to $10M in 2012 (this is just an example, I have no idea what their number is for 2012.

Jjo, what's he going to make in 2012?

I can't imagine dropping Mario's $18M 2011 cap number, & still having 51 players on our roster that equate to $114M of cap room, leaving only $6.3M to work with.

Dutchrudder
02-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Even with how they could work everything out like leebigeztx said? Not sure I understand why they'd be idiots for working things like he stated....

Ummm, if you assume they have 6.8 million to work with (BIG assumption), and they want to sign Mario to a 14 mill a year deal, then it's simply not going to happen. That's not even considering re-signing Myers, Foster, Brisiel or Rackers. I'm calling BS on this 6.8 million number though. It simply does not compute given the 10's of millions coming off the books for UFAs. This is probably just some lame beat writer trying to get twitter followers.

Bro we have 17 FAs and 12 roster spots to fill (5 were IR replacements). Do you honestly think we can sign Arian Foster and 11 other guys (let alone Mario Williams) with only $6.8 million? Keep in mind that we have to set about $5 million aside for our rookies. So let's say we draft about 7 rookies. That means $1.8 million for Foster and 4 other guys. IMPOSSIBLE. Free Agency does not start until March 13th, which is the beginning of the new league year. Therefore we have 17 contracts still on the books until then. I say this is good news and an indication that the $120.375 million cap from 2011 has increase for 2012.

I'm not following, what makes you think the cap is rising due to this guy's report? I mean, there are plenty of other NFL people in the know that could give some estimations for the 2012 cap number if you want to ask around. Our own Shetexan would probably be able to get some good sources to give us an idea if you want to PM her.

Dutchrudder
02-20-2012, 07:35 PM
I don't know. Why would people be "publishing" our 2011 cap number? They know the 2012 number is the important number. Right, or am I looking at something wrong?

Well for two reasons. One being the cap rollover, so you know how much extra your team can use (or not use if over) in 2012. Two being the starting point of money to where you can pull UFA deals off the total. So if 119 is correct, removing Mario should put us down to ~100. Some of us on the board have used this method to estimate the 2012 capspace and mostly come up around 20-25 million in free space after considering all the additions and subtractions using publicly reported numbers. That might be a little high though because we couldn't account for restructures. I don't think that 15+ million was moved to 2012 though.

It doesn't matter if Schaub, Antonio Smith, & Demeco had an $8M number in 2011, what's important is their contracts may escalate to $10M in 2012 (this is just an example, I have no idea what their number is for 2012.

Jjo, what's he going to make in 2012?

Yeah, still not clear on all their numbers. Schaub's number is said to be around 9 million, Antonio didn't restructure, so his should be relatively accurate. Demeco did restructure, but still not sure what he earned. Jjo's numbers haven't be released for year-by-year, only total value which averaged 9.75m I think.

I can't imagine dropping Mario's $18M 2011 cap number, & still having 51 players on our roster that equate to $114M of cap room, leaving only $6.3M to work with.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, I call BS on that figure.

cbs1507
02-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Ummm, if you assume they have 6.8 million to work with (BIG assumption), and they want to sign Mario to a 14 mill a year deal, then it's simply not going to happen. That's not even considering re-signing Myers, Foster, Brisiel or Rackers. I'm calling BS on this 6.8 million number though. It simply does not compute given the 10's of millions coming off the books for UFAs. This is probably just some lame beat writer trying to get twitter followers.

I'm not following, what makes you think the cap is rising due to this guy's report? I mean, there are plenty of other NFL people in the know that could give some estimations for the 2012 cap number if you want to ask around. Our own Shetexan would probably be able to get some good sources to give us an idea if you want to PM her.

Because JLC from nfl.com (http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/08/29/updated-salary-cap-space-numbers-for-all-32-teams/) reported us at about $2 million UNDER the cap for 2011. Going into the season we had 12 expiring contracts. We since then added 5 contracts (all expiring at the end of the season) to the books as replacements for IR players. So that's where I got the 17 FAs. Now we have a report (not sure if it's accurate or not) that says we are $6.8 million under. We all know FA does not start until the 1st of the new league year (March 13th). So therefore 17 contracts are on the books unitl then.

So basically my line of reasoning is...

We were $2 million under the cap for 2011 and then we added 5 salaries throughout the course of the season. And now a report surfaces in the offseason talking about cap figures. This makes me think that they are talking about 2012 figures because adding 5 salaries to the books does not increase your cap figure from $2 million to $6.8 million (since we know the cap will be AT LEAST the same in 2012). So it seems to me to be an indicator of the cap rising for 2012.

ObsiWan
02-20-2012, 08:09 PM

Omar Kelly
Also In Football

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly

I'd like to see these numbers he's crunching and the source from which he obtained them.
:shades:
Until then, this is still a guess; just like the ones on this msg board. Just because this guy has a twitter acc't doesn't make him anymore accurate than you guys who've spent a lot of time and done a lot of digging to come up with your estimates.

Man, I wish the Texans would publish something or makes some moves...

Texecutioner
02-20-2012, 08:21 PM

We don't have the money to resign Mario and other pieces we need. We had our best season without him proving that he is an expendable player at the least.

srrono
02-20-2012, 08:57 PM
http://sportige.com/nfl-teams-salary-cap-space-pre-2012-season/

http://nflsfuture.com/2012/02/07/nfl-offseason-primer-team-by-team-salary-cap-projections/

Jackie Chiles
02-20-2012, 09:53 PM

He wanted us to outright cut Antonio Smith before last season started. Hey, maybe Cody can make the Pro Bowl next year!

SteveSlaton20
02-20-2012, 10:46 PM
We don't even know what the cap space will be next year, but it's probably going to be $124mil, and our projection is $116,306,676, so it might be more or less than that.

The Medic01
02-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Alright I know these numbers are all wrong but bear with me. Say this offseason we have 10 FA's all with a cap hit of 10 million. Would that mean we have 56.8 million to work with or does this 6.8 million take into account the FA's coming off the book.

leebigeztx
02-21-2012, 01:19 AM
If you were to take all the free agents off the books,the texans would have 31-36m in cap room. If you were to resign all the free agents at their current price,they would have almost 9m. I've said it almost too much it seems. If they were to get marios number to 14m per,they could sign foster to a cap deal of 8m, meyers 4.5m and still have money for the rookies and have something to say in free agency. They can get work done and cut a few guys and upgrade their position via draft.

NCTexan
02-21-2012, 01:26 AM
Alright I know these numbers are all wrong but bear with me. Say this offseason we have 10 FA's all with a cap hit of 10 million. Would that mean we have 56.8 million to work with or does this 6.8 million take into account the FA's coming off the book.

From my understanding the former is true. The 6.8 number is without taking their contracts off the books.

Edit: someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

jwmann2
02-21-2012, 04:03 AM
I really don't pay too much attention to how football teams are spending their money. This isn't baseball and aren't the Patriots generally in the middle of the pack as far as money spent?

welsh texan
02-21-2012, 10:04 AM

Is there a chance that with other contracts rising, you subtract all the money that Mario, Foster, Myers etc earned and add the pay rises we're contracted to and you come to $6.8mm??

Here's hoping that isn't the case, its hard to see how it could be, what did all the guys earn put together? Must be north of $20mm so its hard to see the ~$15mm going straight back on but we'd be in big trouble if that is the case.

Edit: Seems this question has already been answered.

Well if this isn't accounting for the FA's coming off the books, that makes me pretty happy, even if they want to resign Mario that should give them an extra ~$4mm, Myers and Briesel won't be getting a huge amount more than they do already, Dreesen maybe a mill or so? and that leaves you with plenty to pay Foster, the cap likely rises substantially next season and our team stays intact. Well, in theory anyway.

Blake
02-21-2012, 10:42 AM

Omar Kelly
Also In Football

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly

Why would this beat writer have accurate Texan's cap numbers? Everyone is guessing at this point. So as-long as we are ok with speculating, we are fine. But I doubt we will ever know really what is on the books.

Dutchrudder
02-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Is there a chance that with other contracts rising, you subtract all the money that Mario, Foster, Myers etc earned and add the pay rises we're contracted to and you come to $6.8mm??

Here's hoping that isn't the case, its hard to see how it could be, what did all the guys earn put together? Must be north of $20mm so its hard to see the ~$15mm going straight back on but we'd be in big trouble if that is the case.

Edit: Seems this question has already been answered.

Well if this isn't accounting for the FA's coming off the books, that makes me pretty happy, even if they want to resign Mario that should give them an extra ~$4mm, Myers and Briesel won't be getting a huge amount more than they do already, Dreesen maybe a mill or so? and that leaves you with plenty to pay Foster, the cap likely rises substantially next season and our team stays intact. Well, in theory anyway.

The guy said "after crunching the numbers..." so I assume he means removing UFAs and accounting for salary increases. Either way, I'd bet money he's just using Sportrac and Rotoworld to guess what the number is. He's nobody special, or in the know, so I doubt his information is any more reliable than what posters on this forum have done to estimate our cap situation.

Corrosion
02-21-2012, 12:25 PM

Dude ..... Cody has been the Texans most consistent DL over the past two seasons , he's a bargin at $3.5m. He's not getting cut ..... anddefinately isnt a scrub .... consider that the Texans run D only allowed 96 yards per game over the course of the season and only 81.5 in the post season. They dont do that without solid play in the interior.

thunderkyss
02-21-2012, 01:20 PM
We don't have the money to resign Mario and other pieces we need.

What if we did. If we could sign Mario without affecting our ability to sign all the other players we needed to contend year in & year out, what about then?

leebigtx & a few others have shown you how it could be done..... the way most NFL teams do it.

Still, you say we don't have the money?

We had our best season without him proving that he is an expendable player at the least.

We had our best season of the year with Andre missing the majority of it. Should we dump him as well?

We clinched our first play off berth & play off victory with Schaub on a scooter, do we not need him either?

Wade says Mario is our best pass rusher. Barwin says Mario is our best pass rusher. Antonio says Mario is our best pass rusher. They all say we need Mario back.

Playoffs
02-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Teams with least cap room today: Pitt ($11 million over cap); Oak ($11 mil over); Carolina ($9 mil over); Giants ($9 mil over); Jets (even).
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter Close
Teams with most cap room today: Tampa Bay ($67 million under cap); KC ($62 mil): Cincy ($60 mil); Denver ($49 mil); Washington ($49 mil).

LikeMike
02-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Ive just looked at the newest Walter Football mock. And he states this:

By the way, all the talk regarding Mike Wallace's first-round tender is that the Ravens and Patriots will consider signing him. The Texans should as well. Wallace is much better than any receiver available in this spot, and he's still pretty young (26 in August). Plus, Houston has a ton of cap room (about $25 million), so it can afford to give Wallace the long-term deal that he deserves.

I don`t know where he got his infos from - but there seems to be very different numbers out there. I guess the 6.8 million is before our FA get of the books. If 25 million is correct, we just might be able to resign Mario, Foster AND Myers.

obrien52289
02-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Hey y'all need to back off on Cody I don't care if he get replaced, but we need him to stay on this team. You ask me why well he's one of the guys who keeps are team positive and happy and lose. Its good to have that on a team.... plus the man is getting us on NFL Network more with that show . Hell we got to keep him

leebigeztx
02-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Dude ..... Cody has been the Texans most consistent DL over the past two seasons , he's a bargin at $3.5m. He's not getting cut ..... anddefinately isnt a scrub .... consider that the Texans run D only allowed 96 yards per game over the course of the season and only 81.5 in the post season. They dont do that without solid play in the interior.

He has a -rating vs the run according to pro football focus. He's an effort guyand wade compensates for him by run blitzing in his gap. A younger,bigger guy like sammie lee hill or via the draft allameeda or poe are upgrades to cody.

obrien52289
02-21-2012, 10:34 PM
If 6.8 million is after we sign are guys then we can sign Wallace, if you sign him to large deal like 5-6 years for 35-60mill then I think its not much on the cap maybe 1-3 million off so leave roughly 3.8 million is enough for draft picks and undrafted free agents.

badboy
02-21-2012, 11:33 PM
2011 base salaries for many NFL players from what we have read or heard about several players is does seem accurate.
http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/

obrien52289
02-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Dam man I was talking about Mike Wallace not Andre Johnson

badboy
02-21-2012, 11:58 PM
Dam man I was talking about Mike Wallace not Andre Johnson

At 6-foot, 199 pounds, Wallace, 25, is among the NFL's sleekest, fastest players. But when he's not stretching the field as a vertical threat, opponents take him out of the Steelers' game plan.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-02-21/clock-ticking-on-steelers-re-signing-free-agent-mike-wallace#ixzz1n5EtWawT

Any offer made to Wallace once free agency begins March 13 would have to be too much for the Steelers, who could match it since Wallace is restricted. There's also the potential for a bidding situation with other receiver-needy teams picking at the end of the first round like the Ravens or the Patriots.

In the end, the 49ers would not only give up the first-round pick but also some of the cap space earmarked for free agents. Wallace is good. But is he better than two players say Pierre Garcon and Mohamed Sanu, or perhaps Janoris Jenkins and Vincent Jackson or Rueben Randle and Marques Colston the 49ers could add this offseason?

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-02-21/clock-ticking-on-steelers-re-signing-free-agent-mike-wallace#ixzz1n5FCkrL2

thunderkyss
02-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Hey y'all need to back off on Cody I don't care if he get replaced, but we need him to stay on this team. You ask me why well he's one of the guys who keeps are team positive and happy and lose. Its good to have that on a team.... plus the man is getting us on NFL Network more with that show . Hell we got to keep him

Uh...... why do we want to keep a guy that keeps us losing games?

If 6.8 million is after we sign are guys then we can sign Wallace, if you sign him to large deal like 5-6 years for 35-60mill then I think its not much on the cap maybe 1-3 million off so leave roughly 3.8 million is enough for draft picks and undrafted free agents.

As been stated before, Wallace needs a QB with a big arm. Other wise, you got another Jacoby Jones.

leebigeztx
02-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Uh...... why do we want to keep a guy that keeps us losing games?

As been stated before, Wallace needs a QB with a big arm. Other wise, you got another Jacoby Jones.

Yep,that's why everyone keeps talking about stretch the field wr is crazy. If jones played with flacco,big ben,eli or someone with a arm,he would be a lot better. If andre played with a bigger arm qb,he would avg 17ypc and double digit tds.

Premier
02-22-2012, 07:09 PM
not everything is so black & white involving these cap situations, i remember last year hearing about all these teams being several million over the cap and still being able to re-sign players and then be in the market for asomugha. dallas did it, the jets were doing it, as were several other teams..