PDA

View Full Version : New Texan Fans -- Welcome

BetaV1
02-20-2012, 01:39 AM
I've just read this ESPN article (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/34138/texans-trying-to-be-sticky-with-new-fans) on the Texans growth as a result of this season's success and I find it quite intriguing. Now winning breeding fans is not exactly some complex formula, but I think many of us may be underestimating the effect this season has had on the NFL fanbase. A large portion of the posters here likely reside in the Houston area, so it's perfectly natural to be surrounded by Texan fans, but the article pointed out that the team has received a hometown spike in interest over the season uncharacteristic of other years. I'm going to guess that many of the Cowboy fans in the area have finally come around?

Despite not being in Texas, I can tell you guys that I get a lot more respect when people recognize I am a Texan fan. And the amount of "Do you mean you're a Cowboys fan?" replies have gone down drastically since this season has come to an end.

This off-season is different for many reasons: the team will now have to build off a season in which they actually lived up to expectations and the front office must learn how to handle the sudden desirableness free agents have to play for Houston. One of the more challenging aspects of this off-season lies with the influx of new fans.

That's where we, as Texan fans then and now, can come into play.

A lot of people will cringe at the aspect of bandwagon fans, and I can't say I'm for the idea of bandwagon fans either. But I will say that I'm excited about all these new fans from across the union coming to our team. I think the fans of this team can do their part to make sure as many of these guys stay when the eventually cloudy skies do appear in this constantly changing game. If you know someone personally who is slowing becoming a Texan fan, make the effort to watch a game with them. If you know people over the Internet who are showing some interest in the team, recommend them to this forum if only for them to lurk. I certainly do.

I know you guys in Houston are more than capable of showing all our new Texan friends what a great fanbase this is. I became a Texans fan because of the city of Houston, because of you guys. Let's be classy and not worry about why they're here, but do whatever we as fans can do to show them what Houston hospitality is about.

So to any new lurkers out there, come on in. We want to here about your experiences with Texans football. To any newly registered guys and gals, and all new fans in general, welcome!

Ruinondd
02-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Nice post. The Texans are the first sports team I've become a fan of. I didn't come to like watching football until I spent a few years playing it. Perfect timing, that's was right when Houston lost it's football team. That first game where we beat team jerry was amazing. Yeah I can't stand dallas, just the whole attitude that team projects is the exact opposite to the way I was taught to play football. Suit on game days, polite to the other team to a fault. Knock the crap out of the guy with the ball, then help him back up. Trash talk is for losers, winners do it not say it.

For most of the Texans history I've been a fair weather fan I guess. Watch a few games a year when we Sucked, as we got up to 8-8 watching more. 2010 season was a heartbreaker for me, first time I watched every game I could. I was sure that was the season we were going to make the playoffs.

This year holy bleep. Talk about a rollercoaster. By the end of the Steelers game I felt exhausted but elated. Stamped back down at 3-3, then we get a real streak going. Schaub going down for the season was agony. Bloody heck what else can go wrong in a season... Oh my BLEEP Leinhart TOO!>!> Ok ok, TJ is keeping it together. Ahem. I May have taken a bat to a tree after Andre went down again.

The 2 min drill in the Bengals game was a thing of beauty. Just wow. The only way it could have been better if it had been the Titans we beat like that to secure the division. Reality check for the next 3 games. Amazing stomping of the Bengals in the wildcard. Finally it all ends it Baltimore :( So proud of what the defense did there. Rookie mistakes, and a boneheaded move for the ages, and we still came so close.

Hmm that's a bit of rant. Exiting stage door left.

drs23
02-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Nice post. The Texans are the first sports team I've become a fan of. I didn't come to like watching football until I spent a few years playing it. Perfect timing, that's was right when Houston lost it's football team. That first game where we beat team jerry was amazing. Yeah I can't stand dallas, just the whole attitude that team projects is the exact opposite to the way I was taught to play football. Suit on game days, polite to the other team to a fault. Knock the crap out of the guy with the ball, then help him back up. Trash talk is for losers, winners do it not say it.

For most of the Texans history I've been a fair weather fan I guess. Watch a few games a year when we Sucked, as we got up to 8-8 watching more. 2010 season was a heartbreaker for me, first time I watched every game I could. I was sure that was the season we were going to make the playoffs.

This year holy bleep. Talk about a rollercoaster. By the end of the Steelers game I felt exhausted but elated. Stamped back down at 3-3, then we get a real streak going. Schaub going down for the season was agony. Bloody heck what else can go wrong in a season... Oh my BLEEP Leinhart TOO!>!> Ok ok, TJ is keeping it together. Ahem. I May have taken a bat to a tree after Andre went down again.

The 2 min drill in the Bengals game was a thing of beauty. Just wow. The only way it could have been better if it had been the Titans we beat like that to secure the division. Reality check for the next 3 games. Amazing stomping of the Bengals in the wildcard. Finally it all ends it Baltimore :( So proud of what the defense did there. Rookie mistakes, and a boneheaded move for the ages, and we still came so close.

Hmm that's a bit of rant. Exiting stage door left.

Hang with us guy, we're on the way up...for a while. I'm probably one of the very few that's glad McNair stayed the coarse and it' paying off, and IMO, will for several years to come.

imatexan
02-21-2012, 03:07 AM
Doing my part in LA!

Cool article/good post.

Vinnie
02-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Speaking of Dallas, I was there over the weekend for my nephew's birthday. In the past when I've been up there and wear my Texans gear I at least draw a comment or three, never nice. At very least I end up drawing a look of disgust or an eye roll. This weekend I wore my battle red t-shirt to the party and didn't receive a single comment. It's amazing what one season will do.

Seņor Stan
02-21-2012, 09:51 AM
On a recent trip down to the Rio Grande Valley, I saw a lot of Texans gear being worn around. This wasn't the case a couple of years back...

Vinnie
02-21-2012, 10:03 AM
On a recent trip down to the Rio Grande Valley, I saw a lot of Texans gear being worn around. This wasn't the case a couple of years back...

Tell me about it! I make a few trips to el valle to fish every year and you'd think the cowboys were from Harlingen.

NCTexan
02-21-2012, 11:21 AM
I've been watching for a few years in the Triangle area of North Carolina. Never until this year have I ever seen anyone repping any sort of gear besides me, and even now it's one or two guys at the bar I normally go watch at. Though, seeing as I'm in Chapel Hill quite a few of the people there were cheering for the Texans cause of Yates near the end of the season.

El Tejano
02-21-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm a youth leader at my church. My church has several children whose parents are from Mexico, so they didn't have the privilige of having football in the home with a team they were born into like me. That being said, they aren't distracted by the Cowboys fans and so many of them have taken on The Texans. Not just those kids but Texans seem to be a more attractive team to the kids from Middle School ages to High School as well. So I think The Texans have more future die hards very soon.

badboy
02-22-2012, 12:22 AM
I've just read this ESPN article (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/34138/texans-trying-to-be-sticky-with-new-fans) on the Texans growth as a result of this season's success and I find it quite intriguing. Now winning breeding fans is not exactly some complex formula, but I think many of us may be underestimating the effect this season has had on the NFL fanbase. A large portion of the posters here likely reside in the Houston area, so it's perfectly natural to be surrounded by Texan fans, but the article pointed out that the team has received a hometown spike in interest over the season uncharacteristic of other years. I'm going to guess that many of the Cowboy fans in the area have finally come around?

Despite not being in Texas, I can tell you guys that I get a lot more respect when people recognize I am a Texan fan. And the amount of "Do you mean you're a Cowboys fan?" replies have gone down drastically since this season has come to an end.

This off-season is different for many reasons: the team will now have to build off a season in which they actually lived up to expectations and the front office must learn how to handle the sudden desirableness free agents have to play for Houston. One of the more challenging aspects of this off-season lies with the influx of new fans.

That's where we, as Texan fans then and now, can come into play.

A lot of people will cringe at the aspect of bandwagon fans, and I can't say I'm for the idea of bandwagon fans either. But I will say that I'm excited about all these new fans from across the union coming to our team. I think the fans of this team can do their part to make sure as many of these guys stay when the eventually cloudy skies do appear in this constantly changing game. If you know someone personally who is slowing becoming a Texan fan, make the effort to watch a game with them. If you know people over the Internet who are showing some interest in the team, recommend them to this forum if only for them to lurk. I certainly do.

I know you guys in Houston are more than capable of showing all our new Texan friends what a great fanbase this is. I became a Texans fan because of the city of Houston, because of you guys. Let's be classy and not worry about why they're here, but do whatever we as fans can do to show them what Houston hospitality is about.

So to any new lurkers out there, come on in. We want to here about your experiences with Texans football. To any newly registered guys and gals, and all new fans in general, welcome!I agree and also point out this great message board is supported by donations so any new comers and old timers who may not be aware, click on the donate button above and give what you can. Kevin, owenr operator has allowed us to exchange our POV + have tons of fun; so help out if you can.

amazing80
02-22-2012, 07:25 AM
I agree and also point out this great message board is supported by donations so any new comers and old timers who may not be aware, click on the donate button above and give what you can. Kevin, owenr operator has allowed us to exchange our POV + have tons of fun; so help out if you can.

Not to pick on you, but its hilarious that guys complain about noobs than turn around and ask for donations....GTFO with that, people need to be nicer to new comers if they want more $$$ to better this site....and again not really picking on you but using you as the scape goat

Dread-Head
02-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Not to pick on you, but its hilarious that guys complain about noobs than turn around and ask for donations....GTFO with that, people need to be nicer to new comers if they want more $$$ to better this site....and again not really picking on you but using you as the scape goat

Honestly with the "Bandwagon muff-huggas" thread I wasn't picking on "New fans" per say but rather the guys who are ensconced in Texans gear today, but if they open the season 0-4 will be the first ones to say how much they suck and to distance themselves from them. I can't speak for everyone else, but I for one have no problem with new fans who plan on sticking around or converts from OTHER teams."

:texflag:

2012Champs
02-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Speaking of Dallas, I was there over the weekend for my nephew's birthday. In the past when I've been up there and wear my Texans gear I at least draw a comment or three, never nice. At very least I end up drawing a look of disgust or an eye roll. This weekend I wore my battle red t-shirt to the party and didn't receive a single comment. It's amazing what one season will do.

I went to NO wearing Texas gear towards the end of last year and got nothing but postive responses. NO > Dallas

Thorn
02-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Don't forget, all new membership fees of $20 goes to me. :)

Yankee_In_TX
02-22-2012, 02:13 PM
I think folks are annoyed by bandwagon fans and fair weathered fans when we have to listen to them complain on sports radio or on here. They tend to be the squeekiest wheel when something goes wrong.

However, wider fan base = more locally televised games for those of you not in Houston, more nationalally televised games and better selection and availability of merchandise.

Vinnie
02-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Don't forget, all new membership fees of $20 goes to me. :)

Thorn, the more I read your posts, the more I'm in admiration. I hope when I get old I can be as angry, drunk, witty, dirty and foul mouthed as you. I'd rep you, but apparently I don't spread it around enough.

NCTexan
02-22-2012, 02:57 PM
I hope that this season gets us on more national televised games. I'd love to be able to watch them from home, not on the laptop every once in awhile.

Thorn, the more I read your posts, the more I'm in admiration. I hope when I get old I can be as angry, drunk, witty, dirty and foul mouthed as you. I'd rep you, but apparently I don't spread it around enough.

Got him for you.

Texan_Bill
02-22-2012, 09:49 PM
There has been criticism of us "Old-time Posters" making fun of NOOBS, but really, REALLY? Some NOOB posted about a prospect from UM (Miami) in the the actual "TexansTalk" forum.... Homeboy didn't even take the time to realize there is a "College Football" format.

That alone is why some of us "old timers", errrrr "elitists" make fun of the new members... Seriously, as CAK stated earlier today, it's not hard to search topics/issues before y'all post..
TexansTalk. Just sayin'!!!

NOOBS, take notice!!

thunderkyss
02-22-2012, 10:27 PM

GTFO if you can't follow the rules & stop being a bith about it when you get called out.

PapaL
02-22-2012, 10:42 PM
GTFO if you can't follow the rules & stop being a bith about it when you get called out.

I think the term is kick rocks hahaha.

We were all new once. We took the time to see how things worked and were welcomed into this family. Like a family we don't always agree with each other but at least we respect one another.

To all the new people, welcome. It's nice to see new names with new opinions. If you're gonna be douchey by all means head over to the official forum. If you want to a part of a diehard Texans community, welcome.

-Elitist Post

drs23
02-22-2012, 10:56 PM
I think the term is kick rocks hahaha.

We were all new once. We took the time to see how things worked and were welcomed into this family. Like a family we don't always agree with each other but at least we respect one another.

To all the new people, welcome. It's nice to see new names with new opinions. If you're gonna be douchey by all means head over to the official forum. If you want to a part of a diehard Texans community, welcome.

-Elitist Post

And a damn good one PapaL.

badboy
02-23-2012, 04:18 PM

I think I am the only one mentioning donations and would appreciate you quoting the post I complained about "noobs". There are those that have commented but none I know of mentioned donations. Seems like your mixing your metaphors.:kitten: