PDA

View Full Version : Williams taking "whatever happens, happens” approach

srrono
02-16-2012, 05:45 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Williams-taking-whatever-happens-happens%E2%80%9D-approach/0cbdcc8d-d7d4-42cf-896b-fe781ac241c6

The biggest question of the Texans’ offseason is what will happen with the man who is, literally and figuratively, one of their biggest players: Mario Williams.

Williams, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2006 draft and a two-time Pro Bowler, will become an unrestricted free agent on March 13. He is the Texans’ all-time leader in sacks with 53 and an imposing physical specimen of an outside linebacker at 6-6, 285 pounds, but he spent the final 11 games of last season on injured reserve while the Texans finished second in the NFL in defense under Wade Phillips.

On Thursday, Williams discussed how he feels about his impending free agency.

“It’s football and it’s a business,” he said. “To me, I’ve really been focused on getting back to my full strength and healthy, so I haven’t really paid too much attention on it because it’s something that just hasn’t come. Coach (Gary) Kubiak, he told me from day one after the season ended, it’s a process and just let it take its place and don’t worry about it, so that’s all I’ve been doing is just really focusing on getting healthy.”

Williams, 27, said he is 100 percent after a torn pectoral muscle ended his 2011 season in Week 5. He has been working out at Reliant Stadium on a daily basis. He said he has not paid attention to the hoopla surrounding his situation, instead passing the time by playing Xbox at his home in West Houston.

“I’m doing great,” he said. “I had a very speedy recovery. It was unfortunate that I couldn’t have been a part of the team on the field, but I’m doing great and everything’s looking good right now.”

But the speculation about Williams’ future has been building, and the questions are many.

For instance, is it Williams’ first choice to be in Houston?

“Well, you know, I mean, I love it here,” he said. “We’ve got everything we need here. The team is obviously right where it needs to be at, and we were a couple plays away from getting to the Super Bowl, I feel like. So I definitely – the pieces fit, but once again, you know, it’s part of the business, so whatever happens, happens.”

Would Williams consider signing with the Texans before free agency begins, or does he want to test the open market?

“It’s just part of the process, like I said,” he said. “It’s just one of those things that I have to go through. The draft is coming up, and I think the Combine and all that stuff, so I know they’ve got a lot of things on their plate. So to me, I’m just waiting. It’s just part of being in this position and I’m just waiting for it. I don’t know what’s going to happen, personally.”

Is Williams intent on trying to become the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history?

“I’m not worried about that,” Williams said. “Money is money at the end of the day, and it’s really not that big of a deal for me. Whatever best fits for myself and the team, whichever it may be, then so be it. I’m not focused on telling my agent (Ben Dogra), ‘Hey, do this or do that because I want to be the highest paid player, bla bla.’ You know, I was the first pick, so I’ve had everything I’ve ever really wanted already, so my biggest thing is just being in a good position, being in a good fit, being in a good scheme or system and just being able to continue my career and progress.

“My goal isn’t to go and say, ‘I want to be this and that’ or say, ‘I want this and that.’ It’s just whatever’s out of respect for the position and whatever you bring to the team I feel like is adequate.”

Last offseason, much was made about Williams’ transition from 4-3 defensive end to 3-4 outside linebacker. Many pundits wrote him off as being too big for the position.

Williams wound up with five sacks in five games – actually, four and less than one full quarter – before tearing his pec against the Oakland Raiders. It was a small sample size, but Williams is excited about the progress he made under Phillips.

“It was great,” he said. “I crawled before I could walk in the preseason. I just took it real slow, and then whenever the live bullets started shooting, it was all in. Everything worked out. We were doing great, and I was adjusting to the position and then all of a sudden, this happened with my pec, but I feel great. 3-4, 4-3, it really doesn’t matter.

“Coach Phillips is phenomenal, and just the way that he motivates us and the way that he puts us in positions to make plays, there’s ample opportunity for everything.”

Having been with the Texans for six seasons, Williams has developed a close relationship with the fans in Houston, and with Kubiak, who also arrived in 2006. Williams was Kubiak’s first draft pick, a controversial No. 1 overall selection over Reggie Bush and Vince Young.

“Obviously, everything from the beginning was a little rough, for myself and Coach,” Williams said. “We were both new here and with the draft and all the other stuff that was going on, but the city has completely turned around. I love it here. The fans here, every day – especially now – I go out, people are talking to me, wanting autographs or whatever and asking about the contract and I tell ‘em I don’t know anything and they think I’m lying, but I really don’t know anything. But the fanbase has been phenomenal here over my six years.

“And Coach Kubiak, he’s just at another level, man. I can honestly say I love him to death. He’s a great guy and I wish nothing but the best for him, and I’m sure every player does as well.”

Whether that sentimentality plays a role in Williams’ decision-making this offseason remains to be seen. The Richlands, N.C., native said it would mean “a lot” if he were able to work things out with the Texans and continue his career in Houston, which he now considers to be his home.

In the meantime, Williams will continue to pass the time by doing what he’s been doing. Asked if this is a nervous time or exciting time for him, he replied, laughing as he did so, “It’s an Xbox time.”

“That’s the way I deal with it,” he said. “It’s something that I feel like it’s a process and it’s part of football and it’s part of being in my position. Honestly, I come (to Reliant Stadium), train, work out and play Xbox. That’s about it. I think more people know more about this than I do. I don’t see the TV, I don’t read the paper.

“At this point, I’m really not even worried about it. Like I said, whatever’s going to happen is going to happen, so I just take it one day at a time and not really worry about it.“

srrono
02-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Mario Williams says top-dollar deal not his goal as he hopes to remain with Texans

Becoming the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history is not outside linebacker Mario Williams’ goal as he approaches unrestricted free agency on March 13.

The Texans are trying to create enough salary cap space to make Williams an offer impressive enough to get him to sign a new long-term contract before free agency begins. If Williams hits the open market, there are teams with so much cap room and such a desperate need for pass rushers that he could end up with the largest contract of any defensive player in league history.

“I’m not worried about that,” Williams said Thursday. “It’s really not that big of a deal to me.

“I was the first pick (2006), and I’ve already had everything I really wanted, so my biggest thing is to be in a good position, a good scheme, a good system and continuing my career. Hopefully, it works out.

“It’s always important to be in a position to be successful. That comes with teammates around you, coaching, having that winning attitude. You want to (play) where you can thrive no matter where you are.”

Williams knows the Texans are cap strapped. He also knows that owner Bob McNair, general manager Rick Smith and coach Gary Kubiak have made him the team’s top priority.

“I love it here,” Williams said. “We’ve got everything we need here. The team is right where it needs to be. The pieces fit, but it’s part of business. Whatever happens, happens.”

Williams’ original six-year, $54 million contract expires next month. He earned $18 million last season. The Texans aren’t likely to use the franchise designation on him because it would be about $22.9 million, and they can’t afford that kind of cap hit.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen,” Williams said. “I haven’t heard anything. I don’t know what their intentions are.”

Their intentions are to clear up enough cap room to make Williams an offer that might be good enough to get his name on the dotted line.

At some point soon, agent Ben Dogra will start negotiating with Smith and vice president of administration Chris Olsen.

“I’m not focused on telling my agent, ‘Hey, do this or do that because I want to be the highest-paid (defensive) player,” Williams said. “It’s whatever fits best for myself and the team.

“They (Texans) have to do their thing. I know they have a lot on their plate getting ready for the combine and draft. So I’m just waiting. That’s part of being in this position. I tell my agent to just let me know what’s going on. Whatever he hears he’ll tell me. Once I’m told something (concrete), then we’ll sit down and talk about it. I’m not really worried about it.”

Williams would love for the Texans to make him an offer that’s good enough to keep him in Houston.

“This is home,” he said. “Everything that’s happened here has made such an impact on my life. It’s been great. Hopefully, it continues with whatever decision they make.

“It’s football, and it’s business. I’ve been focused on getting healthy. Coach Kubiak – and I love coach Kubiak to death — told me after the season that it’s a process, and let it play itself out, and that’s what I’ve been doing. I’ve been focused on getting healthy.”

Williams had five sacks in the first five games before suffering the season-ending injury to his pectoral muscle. He said he’s been 100 percent for the last two weeks. He’s been

following the same routine since the season ended.

“I’m doing great,” he said. “I’ve made a speedy recovery. I come to (Reliant Stadium) and work out, eat and play X Box. This is X Box time for me. I don’t watch TV or read the paper.

“I think people know about this more than I do. When I go out, people ask me about my contract, and I tell them I don’t know anything, and they think I’m lying, but it’s true. “I’ve been blessed to be in this position. My head’s spinning (but) I’m pretty much relaxing and enjoying the process.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/02/mario-williams-says-top-dollar-deal-not-his-goal-as-he-hopes-to-remain-with-texans/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

ThaShark316
02-16-2012, 07:44 PM
If it's possible, we might just be able to keep this man.

Then again, I still don't think he's gone, so... http://static.bbmp3.com/smilies/fbj4fb.jpg.png

Maddict5
02-16-2012, 08:13 PM
hope im wrong but that sounded like a farewell interview to me esp in parts like 'wishing nothing but the best for coach kubiak'..... doesnt exactly sound like something you'd say to the coach of a team you were expecting to return to

Bulls on Parade
02-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Kind of curious, but I also heard Mario Williams say he felt 100 % two weeks before the playoffs started. I'm almost wondering how serious the injury actually was? He seemed ready to go towards the end of the season but I'm not a doctor so I could be way off his recovering time. It's good that he's saying he's 100 % again and working out.

SmoochyTX
02-16-2012, 08:31 PM
hope im wrong but that sounded like a farewell interview to me esp in parts like 'wishing nothing but the best for coach kubiak'..... doesnt exactly sound like something you'd say to the coach of a team you were expecting to return to

It sounded kinda like a farewell to me also. I wish him luck no matter where he goes.

And BTW, he sure did mention playing XBOX alot. I wonder what his gamertag is. :spin:

Bulls on Parade
02-16-2012, 08:37 PM
I wonder if Rick Smith will still consider using the franchise tag on Mario Williams? I realize it would be extremely hard to make it work under the salary cap, but I'd like to have Mario locked up for 2012 even before talking numbers when it comes to re-signing Chris Myers. I really don't want to lose Mario Williams.

Hagar
02-16-2012, 08:52 PM
IFor instance, is it Williams’ first choice to be in Houston?

“Well, you know, I mean, I love it here,” he said. “We’ve got everything we need here. The team is obviously right where it needs to be at, and we were a couple plays away from getting to the Super Bowl, I feel like. So I definitely – the pieces fit, but once again, you know, it’s part of the business, so whatever happens, happens.”

His answer wasn't YES.

jaayteetx
02-16-2012, 08:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4S7jafRlJ0

cbs1507
02-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Mario Williams on being the highest paid player...

“I’m not worried about that,” Williams said. “Money is money at the end of the day, and it’s really not that big of a deal for me. Whatever best fits for myself and the team, whichever it may be, then so be it. I’m not focused on telling my agent (Ben Dogra), ‘Hey, do this or do that because I want to be the highest paid player, bla bla.’ You know, I was the first pick, so I’ve had everything I’ve ever really wanted already, so my biggest thing is just being in a good position, being in a good fit, being in a good scheme or system and just being able to continue my career and progress.'

Furthermore he indicates that he would accept what we think is adequate for the position and what he brings to the team...

“My goal isn’t to go and say, ‘I want to be this and that’ or say, ‘I want this and that.’ It’s just whatever’s out of respect for the position and whatever you bring to the team I feel like is adequate.”

Geez you experts who are @$$uming and trying to read between the lines are forgetting to actually read the article. These were his actual words no reading between the lines here...

thunderkyss
02-16-2012, 09:49 PM
“Coach Phillips is phenomenal, and just the way that he motivates us and the way that he puts us in positions to make plays, there’s ample opportunity for everything.”

Man, I'd love to be in that locker room.... I don't see that "motivation" on TV, not with Phillips on the sideline, I just don't see it.

But I've seen/heard 3 defensive players say they really like the way Wade motivates them. Demeco, Cody, & now Mario.

What the hell does he do?

ThaShark316
02-16-2012, 09:50 PM

Furthermore he indicates that he would accept what we think is adequate for the position and what he brings to the team...

Geez you experts who are @$$uming and trying to read between the lines are forgetting to actually read the article. These were his actual words no reading between the lines here...

Everyone around here is used to the believing that every FA is playing us. Sad that everyone has literally programmed themselves to buy into that.

paycheck71
02-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Man, I'd love to be in that locker room.... I don't see that "motivation" on TV, not with Phillips on the sideline, I just don't see it.

But I've seen/heard 3 defensive players say they really like the way Wade motivates them. Demeco, Cody, & now Mario.

I don't think a man has to necessarily be outwardly expressive to be motivating. Every time Belichick talks, it sounds like nothing is a big deal. All you have to do is be confident in what you do and tell the guy why you believe in him and how he's going to do the job you need him to do. Then, once you see results on the field, the thing just builds on its own.

cbs1507
02-16-2012, 09:58 PM

If I were to take a stab at it...

He has tons of experience and success, which allows him to be sure of himself and to exude confidence in his players. In turn the players know what they need to do and can focus on playing hard instead of thinking. That seems like a major upgrade from Richard Smith and Frank Bush our two previous inexperienced DC's. I'd be confident in my coach after having those 2 guys prior to him.

...just my guess.

thunderkyss
02-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Everyone around here is used to the believing that every FA is playing us. Sad that everyone has literally programmed themselves to buy into that.

He's human, & he ain't a dumbass.

If the Texans offer him $40M guaranteed over three years with no signing bonus & the Ravens offered him $54M over 4 years with a $36M signing bonus it's going to be really hard to turn down a $36M check.

Vinny
02-16-2012, 10:17 PM
sure didn't sound like he was excited to come back to be a part of this.

gary
02-16-2012, 10:32 PM
The feeling in my stomach tells me he is gone.

paycheck71
02-16-2012, 10:37 PM

Some team WILL offer him somewhere between 90 and 100 MM. The Texans can't come anywhere near that, and I'm not sure that they should, as much as I would love to keep Mario...

cbs1507
02-16-2012, 10:37 PM

Some prune juice will clear that up you know...;)

thunderkyss
02-16-2012, 10:48 PM
Some team WILL offer him somewhere between 90 and 100 MM. The Texans can't come anywhere near that, and I'm not sure that they should, as much as I would love to keep Mario...

Why not?

$90M/7yrs.... we're talking an average salary of $12.8M that's well within the Texans reach.

$100M/7yrs.... $14.3M/yr there's no reason the Texans can't do that either.

marks01234
02-16-2012, 11:46 PM
Sounds to me like his agent is telling him not to his hat to anything yet.

Really hope we can keep him.

mussop
02-17-2012, 12:38 AM

denial! you're in it.

rollinstone18
02-17-2012, 02:14 AM
sure didn't sound like he was excited to come back to be a part of this.

didn't get that impression from the audio/podcast (http://old.houstontexans.com/news/PodcastCentral2.asp?AUTO=Y&EID=1940). maybe i'm just being optimistic tho. i get the "leave business to the businessmen" attitude. dude just wants to play football. and i hope it's for us.

TexanSam
02-17-2012, 02:22 AM
didn't get that impression from the audio/podcast (http://old.houstontexans.com/news/PodcastCentral2.asp?AUTO=Y&EID=1940). maybe i'm just being optimistic tho. i get the "leave business to the businessmen" attitude. dude just wants to play football. and i hope it's for us.

Can't blame him for that. The NFL is a business. I think he'd be happy to be back with the Texans, but it sounds like he'd also be happy to play for someone else.

I'd love to have him here, but it's not absolutely essential. My guess is he's gone.

Allstar
02-17-2012, 02:52 AM
Honestly, I came out of this feeling better about Mario staying, but I still think he's gone. He wants to be here, but he doesn't know if we are willing to make it happen.

bckey
02-17-2012, 02:53 AM
He is as good as gone. The Texans played great without him and I really think he wants to be on a team where he is "the guy" and maybe closer to home.

Bulls on Parade
02-17-2012, 03:47 AM
Mario Williams will stay if he knows what's best for his career. He's going to flourish with 15 to 20 sacks a year in Wade Phillips' system. I still felt like he was barely learning in 2011 but in limited time, he was showing a great pass rush from the outside linebacker position.

fiasco west
02-17-2012, 08:10 AM
Sounds like his agent is telling him to be careful of what he says so instead he gives vague cookie cutter answers. Good plan.

2012Champs
02-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Id take the biggest check possible :whip:

TheCD
02-17-2012, 09:15 AM

I would be willing to be that it comes down to the personalities of the players on the team. By that, I mean that with the Cowboys, players complained that he was too "laid back" and things of the sort. Here, the guys like the motivation he gives them.

I would bet pretty confidently that Wade's style works with players who are disciplined and self-motivated. Guys like Cushing, DeMeco, etc. who know what they want and just need an overall direction and a place to fit into the puzzle. These guys probably work best with Wade because they don't need to have a fire lit under their ass.

Rey
02-17-2012, 09:27 AM
To me it sounded like he was iffy on whether he'd be back. He's not going to take some huge discount but he'd probably take a nice, non-insulting offer...

nero THE zero
02-17-2012, 09:44 AM
His answer wasn't YES.

I was thinking about this today. He probably hates it here. He came in amongst the whole Reggie Bush / Vince Young drama, has endured criticism nearly his entire time here, and now has everyone from writers to sports talk callers deprioritizing him in favor of other players, including guys like Mario Manningham or Robert Meachem (i.e. "I'd rather let Mario walk and bring in a WR2"). He's not been exactly beloved.

So, I don't find it really surprising that he's not overly-enthused about staying here in Houston.

Señor Stan
02-17-2012, 09:45 AM
I think the only chance the Texans have is to lock up Mario before he hits the open market. Once the bidding starts, the Texans are out.

If they were REALLY convinced Mario was "the" guy long term, they should have renegotiated his deal in the uncapped year. They could have majorly front loaded the deal and had Mario on the cheap for the next few years...

Goldensilence
02-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Translation: there goes pretty much any hope some guys had around here of nailing a contract down before FA hits. I said it before, he'd be stupid to not to want to test the waters in FA and it certainly looks like thats his plan. I don't blame him.

badboy
02-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Interesting how so many read the same words and have different opinions of what they say. I read the McClain article in Chronicle before signing in here and he left out quite a bit of above imo, http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/02/mario-williams-says-top-dollar-deal-not-his-goal-as-he-hopes-to-remain-with-texans/

Most of you know that I would prefer to sign and trade him for picks & to use his 2011 cap reportedly as high as $20m to go get Hicks OG and Bowe WR. Having said that, I was surprisingly in the belief that Mario would prefer to remain a Texan and at a fair price.

He noted that he and Kubes went thru a bit of publicity when Mario was drafted and that he loved his coaches and wished Gary the best. That did not seem like it had anything to do with Mario's plans. He did not say, he wished Kubes the best if I am on another team. We shall see.

He does remain under contract until some date in March.

FYI, combine begins Feb 23rd.

BigBull17
02-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Honestly, if I was him I would hate it too. From day one his work ethic has been called into question. Then, whenever he did well, people down played his accomplishments. I would hate it

Vinny
02-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Honestly, if I was him I would hate it too. From day one his work ethic has been called into question. Then, whenever he did well, people down played his accomplishments. I would hate it
You'd hate it here? The place that made gave you millions of dollars and were confident enough to make you the first pick of the draft? I'd hate to be you guys....I know money doesn't buy happiness, but if that makes you hate something you guys don't have much to look forward to in life. All that questioning stuff would happen anywhere there are fans with opinions. If he hates that here, he will hate that anywhere. As far as I can tell there is no NFL city with unopinionated NFL media and fans.

gtexan02
02-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Sounds to me like a smart player with a smart agent just gave absolutely nothing away in either direction. That was one of the most intelligent interviews I've ever read from a football player. He said he liked it here, he complemented the team, he said he wasn't going to demand to be the highest paid. And at the same time he talked about how its a business and how he will do whats best for him and the team.

I think its impossible to read anything in to this. This was a very savvy move by a vet and nothing more in my opinion

Rey
02-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Sounds to me like a smart player with a smart agent just gave absolutely nothing away in either direction. That was one of the most intelligent interviews I've ever read from a football player. He said he liked it here, he complemented the team, he said he wasn't going to demand to be the highest paid. And at the same time he talked about how its a business and how he will do whats best for him and the team.

I think its impossible to read anything in to this. This was a very savvy move by a vet and nothing more in my opinion

I tend to agree...

If I did read anything out of that I would say that he is open to the possiblity of returning to the team or leaving if that's what has to happen...

But it makes no sense to give verbal felatio to the Texans.

GlassHalfFull
02-17-2012, 12:29 PM

^^^^I agree with GTex

We just have to wait and see how it plays out. Arm chair GM'ing isn't going to do any good.

IMO, Mario gave a great noncommittal interview. Attempting to read between the lines will just give you a headache, or in Gary's case a stomach ache.

I :heart: Mario and really hope we can somehow manage to keep him. Keeping my :glasshalffull: until we know otherwise.

badboy
02-17-2012, 12:31 PM
I tend to agree...

If I did read anything out of that I would say that he is open to the possiblity of returning to the team or leaving if that's what has to happen...

But it makes no sense to give verbal felatio to the Texans.Isn't that the new Fiat that Jennifer Lopez rides in the commercial?

paycheck71
02-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Why not?

$90M/7yrs.... we're talking an average salary of $12.8M that's well within the Texans reach.

$100M/7yrs.... $14.3M/yr there's no reason the Texans can't do that either.

What's Peppers' deal? 5 yrs for 91MM? I'm guessing that's the low end of the deal Mario will be offered.

I'm not a cap expert, nor do I want to be one. But it just sounds like there are a lot of teams out there with a lot of cap space who will be able to offer him a lot more money than the Texans. That's pretty much all I was trying to say.

I hope he stays, guys like him are at a premium in the NFL, but he's likely gone, unless he wants to be here to the tune of leaving million$$ on the table...

Bulls on Parade
02-17-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm not a cap expert, nor do I want to be one. But it just sounds like there are a lot of teams out there with a lot of cap space who will be able to offer him a lot more money than the Texans. That's pretty much all I was trying to say.
Unless those teams are the Giants, Packers, 49ers, Patriots, Ravens and maybe the Saints, I don't think he's going to be playing in a Super Bowl anytime soon. He's better off staying in Houston if his goal is to win. But if he wants to be the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history, which all indications say that isn't his top priority, then yes, he'll sign with a bad team that has a lot of cap space.

cbs1507
02-17-2012, 01:19 PM
What's Suggs' deal? 5 yrs for 91MM? I'm guessing that's the low end of the deal Mario will be offered.

I hope he stays, guys like him are at a premium in the NFL, but he's likely gone, unless he wants to be here to the tune of leaving million$$ on the table...

Hell naw. That dude not worth that kind of $$$. Try 6 years around 60M.

Blake
02-17-2012, 02:17 PM
States without income tax.

Texas - Texans - Cowboys
Alaska
Florida - Jaguars - Dolphins - Bucs
Nevada
New Hampshire
South Dakota
Tennessee - Titans
Washington - Seahawks
Wyoming

Could you imagine Mario playing against us in a Cowboys, Jaguars, or even Titans uniform? I almost want to break the bank simply to keep him away from those teams...

Norg
02-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Dang mario add me on xbl. Gt: Norg. Lol

Dutchrudder
02-17-2012, 02:59 PM

Texas - Texans - Cowboys
Alaska
Nevada
New Hampshire
South Dakota
Tennessee - Titans
Washington - Seahawks
Wyoming

Could you imagine Mario playing against us in a Cowboys, Jaguars, or even Titans uniform? I almost want to break the bank simply to keep him away from those teams...

That's an interesting issue, but important for players to consider. State income tax applies to players when they play away games. So up to 8 of their 17 checks may be earned in other states. That can add up to a big difference in pay! You mentioned the states with no income tax, but in California the rate can be as high as 10.5%! Here's a graph of the state income taxes from 2009. It's still pretty accurate (Tenn has a state capital gains tax):

http://www.taxfoundation.org/UserFiles/Image/maps/top_income_tax_rates_display.jpg

So for example, if a player earns 17 million dollars from the Houston Texans this year, he will be guaranteed to not pay state income tax for 11 million dollars because there are at 8 home games in Houston, 1 bye week (applied as Houston) and 2 away games in Florida and Tenn. That's 11 million that doesn't get hit with state income taxes. On top of that, any roster or signing bonuses paid to that player are paid in Texas as lump sums and not divided out over the 17 game checks. So only 6 million (35%) of his salary could possibly be hit with extra state income taxes depending on where the away games are hosted. That's pretty cool, when you consider players in California will lose about 5-10% of their base salary.

So if a free agent is looking to sign somewhere, the AFC South is definitely the place to be if he is a frugal player! No other division can boast even two teams in states without income tax, but the AFC South has 3!

:fans:

Mr teX
02-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Different strokes for different folks. People forget that this guy was about to give up football while in college to help his sister support her family. So him saying he doesn't care whether he's the highest paid defensive player isn't necessarily something i think is far off for him, as the dude just comes off a loaner to me for some reason. Go workout, go home & play x-box..that it. He doesn't come off as a guy that's looking to market himself or seek to live some glamorous life like so many of these other young guys...Lebron, i'm looking at you.

Coming from a small po-dunk town like Richland Hills NC, I think he does genuinely likes houston b/c while it has all the big perks of a major city, its not crazy out of balance as far as its pace....like an NY or Chi or some other city. Furthermore, it's hell for anyone to uproot themselves to go live elsewhere. So in that regard i think he wants to come back to the texans, but he's not stupid, he knows what the situation is & i believe he's got a price in mind that he'd accept from us that doesn't necessarily break the bank but is respectable. The only question is whether or not Smith & co. come correct or not.

GP
02-17-2012, 03:17 PM
His remarks in the article seem very genuine and from the heart. I believe him when he says he doesn't know much about the process and where it's headed.

I think a good agent would not bother his client with speculation or even early discussions so that there's no distraction before its time for that to take place.

I have not read the comments here, trying to formulate my own opinion on it. I had said that I think he's going to want to command the largest sum he can extract...that his agent would push for it, and he would want to solidify his position as THE marquee defensive player in the NFL today...but his comments make me think (a) he has no indication from the Texans FO about how they are going to handle him prior to him hitting the market as a FA, or (b) he cannot comment about it because he's been instructed NOT to, which is smart for all involved, and/or (c) he truly wants to stay but he knows "it's a process" which means lots of factors are involved and he doesn't have enough pieces of the puzzle, yet, to formulate his own position on it.

Therefore, he's working out and playing XBOX. Just like he said he has been doing. There's nothing to talk about, so there's nothing to do but work out and play XBOX and "let the process play out."

I respect the heck out of him for speaking as candidly as he did. He was sincere in his comments, IMO, and I wish him the best no matter what happens...as long as it never involves three teams in the AFC South and the NFC team in Texas.

GP
02-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Different strokes for different folks. People forget that this guy was about to give up football while in college to help his sister support her family. So him saying he doesn't care whether he's the highest paid defensive player isn't necessarily something i think is far off for him, as the dude just comes off a loaner to me for some reason. Go workout, go home & play x-box..that it. He doesn't come off as a guy that's looking to market himself or seek to live some glamorous life like so many of these other young guys...Lebron, i'm looking at you.

Coming from a small po-dunk town like Richland Hills NC, I think he does genuinely likes houston b/c while it has all the big perks of a major city, its not crazy out of balance as far as its pace....like an NY or Chi or some other city. Furthermore, it's hell for anyone to uproot themselves to go live elsewhere. So in that regard i think he wants to come back to the texans, but he's not stupid, he knows what the situation is & i believe he's got a price in mind that he'd accept from us that doesn't necessarily break the bank but is respectable. The only question is whether or not Smith & co. come correct or not.

Great post. I agree with all of it.

He does seems like he is VERY laid back and very chill. He seems like one of those guys who doesn't talk a lot, but when he does...he means what he says. I think Andre Johnson is like that too.

We've joked a lot, and ridiculed a lot, about how the Texans were building this team of choir boys who are squeaky clean and we needed more hardcore guys than what we have. But you read Mario's comments, and even back when we read AJ's comments about his own contract negotiations, and you see how "refreshing" it can be that we DON'T have a Revis or other mouthy guys.

badboy
02-17-2012, 03:34 PM
If Mario signs a team friendly deal, I will applaud him. Still rather trade him but in today's world turning down what has been identified as craze buck would be good to see.

Doppelganger
02-17-2012, 03:35 PM

Texas - Texans - Cowboys
Alaska
Nevada
New Hampshire
South Dakota
Tennessee - Titans
Washington - Seahawks
Wyoming

The problem with this theory is that he suggests Mario is aware of his finances. That is probably not the case. Most pro athletes hire a person(or people) to pay their bills, file their taxes, and manage their finances so they can completely concentrate on their sport. I hate to say it, but most athletes don't know what the current tax rates are, whether their state has an income tax, or how much money they paid in taxes last year.

This type of approach will likely not bear fruit.

Doppelganger
02-17-2012, 03:42 PM
You'd hate it here? The place that made gave you millions of dollars and were confident enough to make you the first pick of the draft? I'd hate to be you guys....I know money doesn't buy happiness, but if that makes you hate something you guys don't have much to look forward to in life. All that questioning stuff would happen anywhere there are fans with opinions. If he hates that here, he will hate that anywhere. As far as I can tell there is no NFL city with unopinionated NFL media and fans.

Yup. I would also throw in that the media and fans are pretty tame in Houston as compared to other cities. By and large the media and the fans cheered for Mario even when he had difficulty and really got behind him in good times. Throughout his first year when he had that foot issue, the city got behind him. I seriously doubt that would happen in say New York.

I mean, Tom Coughlin takes a team to the playoffs in 4 of 8 years, wins a superbowl, and prior to this last season, the Giant fans and media wanted him fired. I mean the joke around New York is that with his superbowl win, Coughlin has bought a 1 year respite from the media and fans!

2012Champs
02-17-2012, 03:48 PM
The problem with this theory is that he suggests Mario is aware of his finances. That is probably not the case. Most pro athletes hire a person(or people) to pay their bills, file their taxes, and manage their finances so they can completely concentrate on their sport. I hate to say it, but most athletes don't know what the current tax rates are, whether their state has an income tax, or how much money they paid in taxes last year.

This type of approach will likely not bear fruit.

I have to agree with you. It smart to consider this but Im not sure this is a priority in athletes' minds

amazing80
02-17-2012, 05:17 PM
I have to agree with you. It smart to consider this but Im not sure this is a priority in athletes' minds

No but if you hire someone to do your finances, you would THINK they would bring that to your attention before you made a life changing decision

GP
02-17-2012, 05:47 PM
As of now, he's saying all the right and respectful things.

What nobody wants to see is Mario (or any other "fan favorite/face-of-the-team" player) start jacking their jaw about whether they feel "loved" or not, etc. When the player begins making statements that attempt to sway the public opinion.

paycheck71
02-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by paycheck71
What's Suggs' deal? 5 yrs for 91MM?
Hell naw. That dude not worth that kind of $$$. Try 6 years around 60M.

Crap, my bad. I meant Peppers.

BullBlitz
02-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Unless those teams are the Giants, Packers, 49ers, Patriots, Ravens and maybe the Saints, I don't think he's going to be playing in a Super Bowl anytime soon. He's better off staying in Houston if his goal is to win. But if he wants to be the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history, which all indications say that isn't his top priority, then yes, he'll sign with a bad team that has a lot of cap space.

John McClain was speculating that he is going to be pursued by Jacksonville with a big contract since they have the cap space and feel that they need a 4-3 DE to complete their defense.

srrono
02-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Great post. I agree with all of it.

He does seems like he is VERY laid back and very chill. He seems like one of those guys who doesn't talk a lot, but when he does...he means what he says. I think Andre Johnson is like that too.

We've joked a lot, and ridiculed a lot, about how the Texans were building this team of choir boys who are squeaky clean and we needed more hardcore guys than what we have. But you read Mario's comments, and even back when we read AJ's comments about his own contract negotiations, and you see how "refreshing" it can be that we DON'T have a Revis or other mouthy guys.

yes I like this approach better than
http://i41.tinypic.com/k46xkl.jpg

cbs1507
02-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Crap, my bad. I meant Peppers.

Try 6 years $84m...

No pass rusher is making more than $15m a year in average salary. And Mario made it clear that being the highest paid is not is priority. I expect something in the $11m-$13m range being offered. Maybe we can add some incentives to sweeten the deal...

paycheck71
02-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Try 6 years $84m...

There was more money there for him available through incentives, bringing the total potential value of the contract to 91.5MM, but you're right about 6 yrs. He was also 30 when he signed it.

My bottom line is, I want Mario to stay, and I want to believe that he's not going to chase the money, but it's easier said than done, and right now he's just saying all the right things. We'll see what the Texans offer him, and then we'll see what he does.

Lurvinator11
02-17-2012, 09:12 PM
The Texans could get Mario for a fair price that doesn't break the bank.

How is this possible you may ask?

Well I heard Mario is working a second job.

Turns out that Mario is also Bob's personal gardener :kitten:

100 Mill to pull some weeds.

Now that is what I call a fall back job!

thunderkyss
02-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Try 6 years $84m...

No pass rusher is making more than $15m a year in average salary. And Mario made it clear that being the highest paid is not is priority. I expect something in the $11m-$13m range being offered. Maybe we can add some incentives to sweeten the deal...

I personally think Peppers' contract is the high end. I think the Bears over paid Peppers because of the uncapped year. If Mario is expecting more than that then he's not being very honest about his priorities.

Surely there will be some teams willing to overpay for him, that's the way this league works. I expect his average salary to be around $14M. No, I don't think that is over paying now, I think that is the high end of the DE market (two years after Peppers ink'd his deal).

I expect a 2012 cap number around $10M (which will give the Texans enough money to sign Foster & Myers with the dollars they saved vs Mario's $18M salary last season) & I expect a deal that won't lock the Texans up beyond 3 or 4 years.

dalemurphy
02-17-2012, 09:27 PM
I personally think Peppers' contract is the high end. I think the Bears over paid Peppers because of the uncapped year. If Mario is expecting more than that then he's not being very honest about his priorities.

Surely there will be some teams willing to overpay for him, that's the way this league works. I expect his average salary to be around $14M. No, I don't think that is over paying now, I think that is the high end of the DE market (two years after Peppers ink'd his deal).

I expect a 2012 cap number around $10M (which will give the Texans enough money to sign Foster & Myers with the dollars they saved vs Mario's $18M salary last season) & I expect a deal that won't lock the Texans up beyond 3 or 4 years.

You mentioned the 2010 uncapped year. This year's free agency is unique also. New CBA rules have teams able to role over unused cap from the previous season into this one. Also, teams are ramping up to meet the required salary floor of 90%. Some teams, like Cincinnati and Tampa Bay, will be forced to spend upwords of $40 million more per year than they have been. Between those teams and teams that have money to role over and a willingness to spend it, the market for some players will be absurdly high. I think the initial wave of top tier free agents could break records.

For instance, Kansas City or Tampa could pay Mario a $30 million roster bonus in year one and not blink an eye with all the room they have.

badboy
02-17-2012, 09:38 PM
John McClain was speculating that he is going to be pursued by Jacksonville with a big contract since they have the cap space and feel that they need a 4-3 DE to complete their defense.Cool so Mario will be staying with us!

2012Champs
02-18-2012, 10:31 AM
No but if you hire someone to do your finances, you would THINK they would bring that to your attention before you made a life changing decision

There is a conflict of interest depending on who is giving him the advice

b0ng
02-18-2012, 11:40 AM
You mentioned the 2010 uncapped year. This year's free agency is unique also. New CBA rules have teams able to role over unused cap from the previous season into this one. Also, teams are ramping up to meet the required salary floor of 90%. Some teams, like Cincinnati and Tampa Bay, will be forced to spend upwords of $40 million more per year than they have been. Between those teams and teams that have money to role over and a willingness to spend it, the market for some players will be absurdly high. I think the initial wave of top tier free agents could break records.

For instance, Kansas City or Tampa could pay Mario a $30 million roster bonus in year one and not blink an eye with all the room they have.

The cap floor is not going to be in effect until 2013 so if those teams choose not to spend that money this year, there will be no penalty to them for it.

False Start
02-18-2012, 01:16 PM
I am really starting to think The Texans are gonna try and get all creative and keep Mario. I hear they are gonna franchise Arian, so maybe, jest maybe this can work. http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm148/CookieLover_65/Smiley%20Emoticons/praying.gif

thunderkyss
02-18-2012, 03:05 PM
I am really starting to think The Texans are gonna try and get all creative and keep Mario. I hear they are gonna franchise Arian, so maybe, jest maybe this can work. http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm148/CookieLover_65/Smiley%20Emoticons/praying.gif

I don't understand the idea of franchising Arian..... surely signing him to a long term deal would be more beneficial to the Texans.

And McNair did give him his word.

ChampionTexan
02-18-2012, 03:30 PM
I don't understand the idea of franchising Arian..... surely signing him to a long term deal would be more beneficial to the Texans.

And McNair did give him his word.

It buys more time to work on a LT deal if they can't reach one by the beginning of free agency.