PDA

View Full Version : abc13 - peyton wants to be a texan coming up in sports

Pages : 1 [2]

BullBlitz
02-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Yeah....great report Bob Allen......
Think Bob is already thinking about his retirement.....
"Definetly, Possibly".......yeah....thats hilarious Bob.....great wordage there.....
And he admitted he screwed up the report......

I think he just wanted to get some ratings......well he did.....and useless sports talk too.....good job Bob.....

Great "wordage"? You mean "English"?

And you can't spell "definitely", but you're criticizing him?

If you couldn't understand what he said, that's obviously your problem, not his. The story was perfectly clear - to most of us.

BullNation4Life
02-16-2012, 12:25 AM
If Matt can't go, draft Case Keenum in the 6th and get him ready for mid season...

just a thought...

edo783
02-16-2012, 01:27 AM
Bob Allen was on 610, the J&R segment and he said he saw the text from one of the manning family that Peyton had list of teams he liked and the texans were near (?) the top of his list to go to. He (Bob) screwed up saying the possibilty.

EVOLVIST
02-16-2012, 01:28 AM
I can't decide what this thread is more like: Woody Allen talking about God or this...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/EVOLVIST/arnold-schwarzenegger-smoking-pot.jpg

:yap

Texn4life
02-16-2012, 02:02 AM
Bob Allen was on 610, the J&R segment and he said he saw the text from one of the manning family that Peyton had list of teams he liked and the texans were near (?) the top of his list to go to. He (Bob) screwed up saying the possibilty.

I agree that the wording came out funny, but Bob Allen is a respected sports anchor in Houston, and the way they clowned him on the radio was just out of line in my view. Those jokers are the clowns in my view.

GP
02-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Finally, I don't trust Manning. If he can't be totally straight - about his health - with the folks who have been paying him all these years, why the helll would he be straight with us? Yeah, we could send him thru a battery of performance checks but we've been burnt by those before (see Tony Boselli).

You know what else? The report that came out recently where it said Peyton wanted to come into the game vs. Texans to run all of the Colts' red zone plays.

He wanted to come into the game against MY team and clown us.

That's the confirmation I needed, in order to solidify my opinion that we don't need to throw him a bone when we done beat the dog **** out of him and his team. We built this team to beat the Colts, don't acquire the guy (Manning) who was the head figure (literally AND figuratively, btw) of that team.

Colts and Manning can shrivel away to obscurity for all I care. Good riddance.

TheCD
02-16-2012, 10:59 AM
You need to remember that Schaub's injured foot is his plant foot. Mobility doesn't concern me. His ability to accurately throw the ball from pushing off on that plant foot does.

Accuracy doesn't concern me as much in this case as throw power will. Without the ability to properly push off of his plant foot, that ball will be much more likely to nosedive into the ground.

Rey
02-16-2012, 11:11 AM
What is Schaubs status?

Is he walking on crutches? Or with a boot?

Does anyone know where he's at in the rehab process? Or where he should be?

Texan_Bill
02-16-2012, 11:32 AM
What is Schaubs status?

Is he walking on crutches? Or with a boot?

Does anyone know where he's at in the rehab process? Or where he should be?

Not sure, but it would behoove the Texans to think seriously about getting another QB here (other than Manning). :rolleyes:

Duce Staley, Errict Rhett and Warrick Dunn never really made it back from the injury. Granted, they were all running backs, but with the amount of rollouts this offense utilizes - you never know.

Rey
02-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Not sure, but it would behoove the Texans to think seriously about getting another QB here (other than Manning). :rolleyes:

Duce Staley, Errict Rhett and Warrick Dunn never really made it back from the injury. Granted, they were all running backs, but with the amount of rollouts this offense utilizes - you never know.

I was just genuinely curious if anyone had heard anything other than "I'll be ready"....

As far as Manning goes....I'm not getting too wrapped up in that, but I am curious what other QB's you guys would want in here....

Are you thinking draft? trade? Free agents?

Playoffs
02-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Please, can we stop this Boob nonsense.

Evan Silva @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
More from @DonBanks: Manning may have "developed bone spurs" in neck. #Colts feel he will eventually need 5th surgery: is.gd/oRX08D
23h Evan Silva @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Per SI's @DonBanks, Peyton Manning has undergone 4 neck surgeries (not 3) over the last two years. 3 last offseason: is.gd/pZRbbr

GP
02-16-2012, 04:55 PM

Ty Law (Patriots secondary player) and Glenn Earl (former Texan secondary player) also suffered this injury and couldn't return and maintain an NFL career.

It's not encouraging to look at the historical record of NFL players who have had this injury and attempted a return.

Matt Schaub is facing an uphill battle. Albert Haynesworth should be flown to Siberia with 3 days of rations and one change of clothes.

PapaL
02-16-2012, 04:58 PM
So we're fighting about who is more/less injured? The immobile guy with the broken neck or the immobile guy with the broken foot?

ckhouston
02-19-2012, 10:43 AM
If Matt Schaub is a Texan after the trade deadline then we will all know that last year was a fluke and we have no chance of winning with this front office and coaching staff. Matt is barely top 20 in the league, and we have other needs. QB in our system can be a card-board cutout as long as that piece of paper can get Foster and Tate the ball. Sign a FA, draft a good prospect, or let Yates carry it for now, but dont waste money on Matt. Skins need a QB and its the same system. Send Barbi packing.

Lucky
02-19-2012, 10:50 AM
If Matt Schaub is a Texan after the trade deadline then we will all know that last year was a fluke and we have no chance of winning with this front office and coaching staff.
You probably need to add this :sarcasm: to your post.

ubecool454
02-19-2012, 10:53 AM
If Matt Schaub is a Texan after the trade deadline then we will all know that last year was a fluke and we have no chance of winning with this front office and coaching staff. Matt is barely top 20 in the league, and we have other needs. QB in our system can be a card-board cutout as long as that piece of paper can get Foster and Tate the ball. Sign a FA, draft a good prospect, or let Yates carry it for now, but dont waste money on Matt. Skins need a QB and its the same system. Send Barbi packing.

Some people.....Matt Schaub has been pretty solid and was the probowl MVP to boot but he got hurt so we call him barbi now...gtfo. I see why your rep power is 0 lol.

ckhouston
02-19-2012, 10:54 AM
You probably need to add this :sarcasm: to your post.

No thanks.

Schaub has only had two good years in eight NFL seasons. He is injury prone, has a weak arm, is not accuarate (keep your stats, his receivers cover his ass constantly), not mobile, and has no passion for the game. Its like watching Eeyore playing QB. Trade him and get something for him.

jaayteetx
02-19-2012, 10:57 AM
No thanks.

Schaub has only had two good years in eight NFL seasons. He is injury prone, has a weak arm, is not accuarate (keep your stats, his receivers cover his ass constantly), not mobile, and has no passion for the game. Its like watching Eeyore playing QB. Trade him and get something for him.

Your talking out your arse.

ubecool454
02-19-2012, 10:58 AM
No thanks.

YOU GOT JOKES..LMAO!:dance2:

ckhouston
02-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Your talking out your arse.

Just calling it how I see it. If you actually watch Matt play the game, he simply isnt that good of a QB.

ubecool454
02-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Just calling it how I see it. If you actually watch Matt play the game, he simply isnt that good of a QB.

after Peyton, Brady, Brews, Ben, and Rogers who is better? Schaub is perfect for the Texans system. Who do you want to trade him for, Vick! Gabbert? Grossman? Give me another NFL QB that you would trade straight up for him?

drs23
02-19-2012, 12:09 PM

Just can't agree. You said "no stats" but they're inherently intertwined, no? Two back to back 4000+ yds passing. QBs that "simply isn't that good" don't win Pro Bowl MVPs. (I know, it's JUST the pro bowl so save your ink)

Granted, that was all before he was Haynesworthed and with all the data available on Pro players coming back from this injury, as severe as Matt's, doesn't look good. That being the case, is he really marketable?

I want to see him back to form in the worst way but everything I've read/seen/heard discussed does not look promising. I would not be surprised if he's already taken his last snap under center.

I hope that not the case, but I believe management will do their best to have a valid plan B in place, what ever that my be. My guess, and only a guess, is to have TJ as ready to go as possible by taking all the snaps with the ones vs. the ones and hope he has a breakout year and hope all his rookie mistakes are behind him. That and draft another QB.

The Texans are in a tough spot at the QB position. I do not envy the position management is in.

Playoffs
02-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Just calling it how I see it. If you actually watch Matt play the game, he simply isnt that good of a QB.Glasses. I suggest glasses.

Matt was a Top 6 QB in 2009/2010 and was Top 10 for what he did in 2011.

Maybe tri-focals so you don't miss so much.

gary
02-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Just wait until they win a Super Bowl with Schaub then we'll see.

infantrycak
02-19-2012, 12:32 PM
No thanks.

Has no passion for the game? See you lose credibility when you just make crap up. Schaub is renowned as the hardest worker on the team.

And every QB has WR's covering their ass - Eli Manning in the SB with an on the side of the helmet catch, Peyton with Marvin Harrison making diving catches, etc. You don't want stats fine but you don't produce as he has not being accurate especially since according to many people he only has one WR worth starting.

Premier
02-19-2012, 12:35 PM
schaub just isnt a winner, hes scared, when the game gets tough he tucks his tail, this doesnt mean he sucks, hes a solid qb, he'll put up numbers all day but those numbers dont mean anything in the grand scheme when you fail in the most crucial moments..

i dont understand why so many of you guys here continue to expect great things from schaub, what youve seen is what youll get.. youre kidding yourselves if you think he takes that career PPG into the playoffs and just rolls over teams.. games will get tough, you need a qb that can put a team on his back, schaub isnt capable of this..

like ck said, just watch the guy play, save your stats, stats never tell the whole story..

i dont have faith in this guy, all i have is hope, hope that he'll prove me wrong... just dont see it..

thunderkyss
02-19-2012, 12:55 PM
No thanks.

You all know I like Matt Schaub... ok, you all know I wouldn't be upset if we move on from the Matt Schaub era. Yes he's been to the pro-bowl, yes he can put up stats in this system.

But this team is ready for a dynamo at the QB position. Someone who can make things happen, not someone who simply takes what the defense gives him.

I will agree, that Schaub is better than QBs that have won super-bowls...... Dilfer, Johnson. But when you have to qualify a statement like that with players you know are sub-par, that should tell you something.

In the past, this team was comparable to Detroit, the pre-super-bowl Cardinals & Bucs...... the bottom of the league. I'm not saying this team won't get us to a Super Bowl with Matt Schaub, but I'm highly doubtful that Schaub can get us there or win it.

We need a dynamo.

LikeMike
02-19-2012, 01:11 PM
after Peyton, Brady, Brews, Ben, and Rogers who is better? Schaub is perfect for the Texans system. Who do you want to trade him for, Vick! Gabbert? Grossman? Give me another NFL QB that you would trade straight up for him?

Well, here`s my list:

E. Manning
P. Rivers
C. Newton
A. Dalton
M. Ryan
M. Stafford
J. Flacco

I really like Schaub - but his injuries are a big concern. He is a better than average QB that couldn`t show how he performs in the playoffs yet and has had some big injuries. It´s kinda like the Rockets the last years - if Yao and TMac can stay healthy, we should be ok... we all know how that turned out.

I am not ready to give up on Schaub - go into next season with him as the starters and let TJ learn something on the bench. But if he can`T get healthy or gets another big injury, it might be time to look for a big time QB.

thunderkyss
02-19-2012, 01:31 PM
i dont have faith in this guy, all i have is hope, hope that he'll prove me wrong... just dont see it..

In 2009, I saw a glimmer....... then it faded away.

Ryan
02-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Has no passion for the game? See you lose credibility when you just make crap up. Schaub is renowned as the hardest worker on the team.

But since he's not screaming and yelling at everybody like Brady or Manning he has no passion and is not a leader. :rolleyes:

thunderkyss
02-19-2012, 01:48 PM
But since he's not screaming and yelling at everybody like Brady or Manning he has no passion and is not a leader. :rolleyes:

This is just me thinking. I don't see Brady or Manning as "leaders" because they huff-&-puff on the sidelines, but year after year, they rise to the occasion & answer the bell.

The defense consistently give up 30 points... no problem, they answer the call & lead their team to that last minute drive, whether they had 2 minutes or 47 seconds.

Their offensive line can't protect them.. no matter. More times than not, they'll still have a 3 or 4 TD game....

You're star receiver shoots up a night-club or says something stupid & get transferred to Tennesse.... no problem, they'll make the next guy look like a super star.

They want the ball in their hands when the game is on the line & more times than not, they answer the bell.

Playoffs
02-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Well, here`s my list:...
A. Dalton
M. Ryan
M. Stafford
J. Flacco

I really like Schaub - but his injuries are a big concern...
Dalton, Ryan don't have Schaub's poise. Ryan was uninspiring in 2011. Stafford has at least as serious injury concerns. And Flacco? ProFootballFocus had Flacco ranked 28th for passing in 2011. Passer rating: Schaub 97/Flacco 81. T.J. Yates tied him @ 81, for reference.

thunderkyss
02-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Dalton, Ryan don't have Schaub's poise. Ryan was uninspiring in 2011. Stafford has at least as serious injury concerns. And Flacco? ProFootballFocus had Flacco ranked 28th for passing in 2011. Passer rating: Schaub 97/Flacco 81. T.J. Yates tied him @ 81, for reference.

Yeah.... can't take any list with Ryan on it seriously.

KA4Texan
02-19-2012, 03:54 PM

Don't tease me, please tell me there is a trade in the works, who wouldn't want that masterpiece?

LikeMike
02-19-2012, 08:55 PM

Dalton, Ryan and Stafford should be cheaper and are younger - that`s my main selling point for them - on the field they are not far behind Schaub (when Stafford is healthy I think you need to put him ahead of Schaub) and there is reason to believe they will get better.

Flacco has proven he can win in the playoffs.

Right now there are big question marks around Schaub. How can he recover from that injury? And if he can, will he be a QB that can carry his team in the playoffs? And with his age, there is little room for real improvement.

If he can get to pre injury form I believe he could be that QB for us - but that is a big if, and that believe isn`t really solid either. That`s why I would trade him for those other QBs in a heartbeat. Too many question marks, too many ifs and buts.

But since none of those team would even consider a trade like this, and since we won`t consider trading Schaub either, I am in the front row cheering for him and praying to god that he gets well and carries this team to a superbowl.

Bulls on Parade
02-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Joe Flacco has proven he can win in the playoffs? That's like saying Mark Sanchez has proven he can win in the playoffs (two straight AFC Championship appearances), when in reality he is the ultimate game manager and isn't anywhere to be found on a list of the best quarterbacks in the game.

I'm just skeptical when labeling a quarterback a winner in the playoffs. I don't think Flacco is any better than Schaub, who has never played in a playoff game, but he's just been on the right team at the right time, a la Mark Sanchez. If Matt Schaub stays healthy in 2012 the Texans have a great shot to reach Super Bowl 47 in the Superdome. I do believe Schaub is worthy of being mentioned among some of the top QBs in the game. Hopefully he'll get the recognition he deserves.

TheMatrix31
02-20-2012, 04:58 AM
Flacco and Ryan are not very amazing at the moment, Stafford can and will be great if he stays healthy, and I want to see what Dalton can do in the future.

Right now its, in no particular order;

Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning, Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Stafford, Schaub, Vick.

Ryan, Flacco, Newton, Dalton, Cutler, Romo are all hovering. I'm sure I'm missing a guy or two.

ckhouston
02-20-2012, 06:44 AM

Bradford, Stafford, Ryan, Rivers, Flacco, Eli, Vick, Newton, Palmer, maybe even Hasselbeck (if he was younger) or Dalton (if he has another good year). Im sure there are more, but bottom line is my opinion is my own, and it is that Schaub is a mid-tier QB.

ckhouston
02-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Schaub is renowned as the hardest worker on the team.

I dont think I have ever heard that even suggested. Maybe I am not the one making stuff up.

ckhouston
02-20-2012, 06:52 AM
and was the probowl MVP to boot

Probowl MVP. Thats right up there with being a superstar at recess.

Ktexan68
02-20-2012, 09:15 AM
I dont think I have ever heard that even suggested. Maybe I am not the one making stuff up.

This is actually pretty well documented. First in and last out- always.

Maddict5
02-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Dalton, Ryan and Stafford should be cheaper and are younger - that`s my main selling point for them - on the field they are not far behind Schaub (when Stafford is healthy I think you need to put him ahead of Schaub) and there is reason to believe they will get better.

:clap:

schaub: 6yrs/48m, 7m garunteed
ryan: 6yrs,72m, 34.75m garunteed
stafford: 6yrs,72m, 41.7m garunteed

knew i shouldnt have clicked on this thread...

Premier
02-20-2012, 09:51 AM

you know how the interwebz work, if its well documented, provide the source.. until then its just hearsay..

Maddict5
02-20-2012, 09:54 AM
No thanks.

ugh and it gets worse

that would be the group of wrs everybody and their mother has us replacing with our top draft picks right?

as for the rest of your scouting report... :boogereater:

Maddict5
02-20-2012, 10:14 AM
you know how the interwebz work, if its well documented, provide the source.. until then its just hearsay..

kubiaks and other players have said it countless times in pressers so what other sources do you want?

if anybody need documented proof of schaubs work ethic it just shows they dont follow the team i.e the weekly pressers that closely...which is also fine

just dont try to make to argue something that the majority of the hardcore fans who follow the team closely know is pretty much a fact just because they're too f'n lazy to go through the pressers to find 'the evidence' themselves

ckhouston
02-20-2012, 10:14 AM

Not denying it may be the case, just have never heard of it.

Texan_Bill
02-20-2012, 10:19 AM

Seriously, once you get your eyes checked make sure you get your hearing checked, because its well documented that Schaub is FILO. First in, Last out!

ckhouston
02-20-2012, 10:19 AM
that would be the group of wrs everybody and their mother has us replacing with our top draft picks right?

Didn't say WR's, I said receivers. Including TE's and RB's, etc. I for one would not use a first round pick on a WR. In this offense the important thing is the O-line, and the RB core, not the WR talent. We have one of if not the best in the league in AJ, and we have a talented rookie who was hurt and may be a serviceable #2 this year. I would pick up a WR, but not in the first round. At 26 we will be able to add a better player at a more needed position, and still get our receiver in a later round.

ckhouston
02-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Seriously, once you get your eyes checked make sure you get your hearing checked, because its well documented that Schaub is FILO. First in, Last out!

Link please.

Maddict5
02-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Link please.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1902799#post1902799

to be fair maybe it hasnt been mentioned since dec 2011 :rolleyes:

Premier
02-20-2012, 10:32 AM
first in last out means nothing, just more stuff for schaub apologist to cling to.. he spends the whole day practicing? then why does he still make the same mistakes he was making years ago? why do all of our kickers have a better builds than our pudgy quarterback? practice doesnt make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect... i find it hard to believe there is a harder worker on this team than cushing.. no days off for brian, he lives in the weight room, eats properly, and does any and everything possible to keep his body in prime shape for this sport..

Texan_Bill
02-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Link please.

I didn't quote a specific source. Do your own research or continue to bury your head in the sand. It's your choice to espouse ignorance.

Maddict5
02-20-2012, 10:42 AM
first in last out means nothing, just more stuff for schaub apologist to cling to.. he spends the whole day practicing? then why does he still make the same mistakes he was making years ago? why do all of our kickers have a better builds than our pudgy quarterback? practice doesnt make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect... i find it hard to believe there is a harder worker on this team than cushing.. no days off for brian, he lives in the weight room, eats properly, and does any and everything possible to keep his body in prime shape for this sport..

whats in the water today?

so our qb isnt a hard worker because he doesnt have the body of a linebacker? riiiigggghhht. this guy gets it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/images/08/25/p1_manning.jpg

^look at that fat bastard. no wonder his team is about to cut his lazy ass :rolleyes:

Imatexanfan
02-20-2012, 10:44 AM
ABC 13, Bob Allen and any other you rahtards that actually have a glimpse of hope Peytons coming to the Texans you gotta seriously think about your whole take on sports and football in general.

There is a better shot of Bud Adams bringing the Titans back to Texas just to open a stadium in San Antonio...

ckhouston
02-20-2012, 10:45 AM
I didn't quote a specific source. Do your own research or continue to bury your head in the sand. It's your choice to espouse ignorance.

Actually if you Google "matt schaub first in last out", interestingly enough all you get is how many times he has been "out" due to being injury prone. Research concluded ... you stand corrected.

Texan_Bill
02-20-2012, 10:47 AM

so our qb isnt a hard worker because he doesnt have the body of a linebacker? riiiigggghhht. this guy gets it.

^look at that fat bastard. no wonder his team is about to cut his lazy ass :rolleyes:

LMFAO!!

Jim Plunkett thinks Peyton is fat!

Mr teX
02-20-2012, 10:53 AM

Early nomination for dumbest post of the year right here......:wow:

Premier
02-20-2012, 10:57 AM

youre clearly dense, if you think thats peytons belly?? smh

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/672/peytonmanning.jpg

lol but i like how you read my post and tried to piece things together as if i was implying that schaub needs to be in the same shape as cushing... smh, were talking about hard-workers, you claim that schaub being first in last out means hes the hardest worker.. you dont know what goes on inside the texans facilities..

he doesnt need to get in nfl linebacker shape D.A., if he would commit an offseason to improving his physical stature to that of hartmann, hell even to leinart, he might not be known as a statue in the pocket that he is..

Premier
02-20-2012, 10:58 AM
early nomination for dumbest post of the year right here......:wow:

pleeeeeesae love my schaub

meh... been hearing this shiit for too long now, you guys will be making the same excuses next year when were all debating whether or not schaub should be re-signed.. youll talk about his numbers, how that proves hes a top 6 qb, hes a hard-worker because hes the last guy to go home, and his precious Pro-Bowl MVP...

Maddict5
02-20-2012, 11:26 AM
he doesnt need to get in nfl linebacker shape, if he would commit an offseason to improving his physical stature to that of hartmann, hell even to leinart, he might not be known as a statue in the pocket that he is..

yes because leinart's physique has really helped his mobility

anyway enough of the strawman argument crap. you questioned schaubs work ethic. plenty of ppl rolled their eyes and you've been changing the goalposts with stupid physique related stuff since. schaub isnt above questioning but his work ethic is.

anybody with a clue knows film study etc is alot more important than how much he bench presses or how ripped he is

Rey
02-20-2012, 11:43 AM

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but that is a flak Jacket

Señor Stan
02-20-2012, 12:01 PM
New York Giants safety Antrel Rolle would go without a shirt to play in tonight's Super Bowl XLVI at Lucas Oil Stadium. He'd prefer quarterback Eli Manning not do so.

A man's man throwing the football, Manning is everyman out of his jersey. Teammates joke about his physique, saying he doesn't look like a weight room regular.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120205/SPORTS0701/202050364/Super-Bowl-2012-Giants-Eli-Manning-elevates-his-game

Mr teX
02-20-2012, 12:41 PM
pleeeeeesae love my schaub

meh... been hearing this shiit for too long now, you guys will be making the same excuses next year when were all debating whether or not schaub should be re-signed.. youll talk about his numbers, how that proves hes a top 6 qb, hes a hard-worker because hes the last guy to go home, and his precious Pro-Bowl MVP...

Lol, you don't have a clue.

Pleeeeeeessssae super coach, tell us how peak physical conditioning was going to prevent schaub's FREAK lisz-franc injury then.

Tony Mandarich
Andray Bruce
Vernon Gholston

all guys physically built like this http://images.wikia.com/transformers/images/9/95/Transformersnewpic1.jpg

but played like his micro machines counterpart.

Premier
02-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Lol, you don't have a clue.

Pleeeeeeessssae super coach, tell us how peak physical conditioning was going to prevent schaub's FREAK lisz-franc injury then.

Tony Mandarich
Andray Bruce
Vernon Gholston

but played like his micro machines counterpart.

what the hell are you talking about.. i suggested that schaub condition a bit more and trim some fat so he doesnt look like a YMCA coach. if you dont think schaub getting in better physical condition could help improve his game then youre delusional. you went off on some tangent about physique and injuries, a couple of you brainiacs saw cushings name and assumed i meant schaub should look like cushing.. no.. try and keep up..

GP
02-20-2012, 04:19 PM
I wonder how much longer before this thread goes to Locksville?

It had a good run.

PapaL
02-20-2012, 04:54 PM

It had a good run.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/myspacerodz/large.jpg

PapaL
02-20-2012, 04:55 PM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/myspacerodz/1393898_o.gif

Texan_Bill
02-20-2012, 06:15 PM

It had a good run.

Not soon enough!

:locked:

Texan_Bill
02-20-2012, 06:15 PM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/myspacerodz/1393898_o.gif

Papalakos, That's just wrong... On so many levels! :hobie:

TejasTom
02-20-2012, 06:55 PM
... trim some fat so he doesnt look like a YMCA coach...

Now that's funny.

BTW, for a QB, film room is more important than weight room.

Double Barrel
02-20-2012, 07:25 PM
LMAO @ Schaub being a slacker!! :pop:

Texecutioner
02-20-2012, 07:49 PM
schaub just isnt a winner, hes scared, when the game gets tough he tucks his tail, this doesnt mean he sucks, hes a solid qb, he'll put up numbers all day but those numbers dont mean anything in the grand scheme when you fail in the most crucial moments..

There have been many crucial moments where Schaub played great in the past in 4th quarters. Hell, he made a living off of it the season before last season and arguably the season before that. It's not his fault that his team's defense was also making a living at giving points up in the 4th quarters. Schaub just lost a lot of those games where he put up a lot of points in 4th quarters, so it seems like he hasn't been clutch to some. I'll admit that he's failed quite a few times as well at the end of games and **** the bed, but all QB's do as well. Only the elites win in the clutch the majority of the time. Schaub has shown plenty of times that he could put up points in 4th quarters though.

i dont understand why so many of you guys here continue to expect great things from schaub, what youve seen is what youll get.. youre kidding yourselves if you think he takes that career PPG into the playoffs and just rolls over teams.. games will get tough, you need a qb that can put a team on his back, schaub isnt capable of this.

Well he definitely has over anyone else that we got. Who is out there on the current market would be a better fit to take us further?? I'd love to hear a decent suggestion. With our current defense, Schaub is more than capable.

like ck said, just watch the guy play, save your stats, stats never tell the whole story..

Then Yates should have scared you ****less if that's the case.

ckhouston
02-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Well he definitely has over anyone else that we got. Who is out there on the current market would be a better fit to take us further?? I'd love to hear a decent suggestion. With our current defense, Schaub is more than capable.

like ck said, just watch the guy play, save your stats, stats never tell the whole story.

On the market I would say maybe the kid in GB but we cant afford him. I have never said Matt isnt "our" best QB, the debate is if he is elite, and he isnt even close. Our offense does not need an elite QB to win. That is why I cant see us paying to extend someone like Schaub, when he can command more to teams that need a QB as the focal point, and will look at his stats and drool. Walter, Johnson, Daniels, etc have given Matt his meal ticket by being able to adjust. Is he our best? Sure. Do we need him to win? My opinion is no. I think if Yates got a full camp and was the starter he would do just fine. Ravens won it all with Dilfer, and I will say that right now Yates is better than Dilfer.

Texecutioner
02-20-2012, 08:54 PM
On the market I would say maybe the kid in GB but we cant afford him.

So after one game in week 17 against one of the worst defenses in the entire league where Flynn put up a bunch of points, we should consider him over Schaub? I don't think so.

Do we need him to win? My opinion is no.

Well your opinion was proven wrong just this last season, because we didn't win without him and many thought we would have gone further had we had him. But we did "need" better than what we had, and Schaub was unquestionably much better.

I think if Yates got a full camp and was the starter he would do just fine. Ravens won it all with Dilfer, and I will say that right now Yates is better than Dilfer.

Bad example, because that's not a common thing where a defense plays like that awsome. The Ravens didn't even allow over 30 points for the entire post season or something like that when they won. They could have literally ran the ball on ever down and won the SB practically. They were the best defense of all time. Trying to imply a strategy where you're trying to win with just anyone at QB is never a good one and that's what the Texans had to deal with when they had Yates in there last season and it showed.

With Yates you get a game manager that won't put up a lot of points.

With Scahub you get a guy who has put up a lot of points for several seasons now. Not even a comparison really.

Playoffs
02-21-2012, 02:46 AM
Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
Than open it and remove all doubt.

The Third Man
02-21-2012, 03:55 AM

You must have had elite moron training in some Glenn Beck para-dumbass camp to come with this drivel. Well done.

ObsiWan
02-21-2012, 04:18 AM

Not denying it may be the case, just have never heard of it.

Link please.

Will this (http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/With-lockout-Schaub-organizes-minicamp-for-Texans-1687900.php) do...?

When the NFL lockout began in March, Texans quarterback Matt Schaub (http://www.chron.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports%2Ftexans&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Matt+Schaub%22) sent an email to his teammates encouraging them to participate in player-only workouts during the offseason.
Some defensive players began working out at the Plex facility in Stafford. The offensive players worked out at Rice, where Schaub tried to stick to the same schedule the Texans would have used if there wasn't a lockout, including 14 organized team activities and a three-day minicamp this week.
Some defensive players joined the offense for the OTAs and minicamp.
"We're doing more detailed work as a group and running through the same type of practice plan that we'd be doing at Reliant," Schaub said about the minicamp. "We're also going to work on some situational football that helps us in crucial points in the game — like the two-minute drill, the red zone, etc."

Organizing and running team workouts when none of them were officially under contract - and therefore not covered by team insurance - should tell you something about his work ethic and leadership. If this doesn't help you understand that then you're actively trying to NOT get it.

I've been among those who have complained about Schaub's lack of mobility and b!tched about his less-than-stellar arm strength. But his work ethic, ability to read defenses, be a student of the game, and to effectively run this offense has never been a question in my mind.

ckhouston
02-21-2012, 06:54 AM
Will this (http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/With-lockout-Schaub-organizes-minicamp-for-Texans-1687900.php) do...?

Organizing and running team workouts when none of them were officially under contract - and therefore not covered by team insurance - should tell you something about his work ethic and leadership. If this doesn't help you understand that then you're actively trying to NOT get it.

I've been among those who have complained about Schaub's lack of mobility and b!tched about his less-than-stellar arm strength. But his work ethic, ability to read defenses, be a student of the game, and to effectively run this offense has never been a question in my mind.

Schaub "organized" these workouts several weeks after Brees and Eli were getting national recognition for getting their teams together. Doesnt impress me.

Texan_Bill
02-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
Than open it and remove all doubt.

HA!! Seconded.

Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Texan_Bill
02-21-2012, 08:40 AM

Don't even waste the effort, man. Dude has his mind made up. You can't change someone's opinion when they're hell-bent on trolling.

Maddict5
02-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Schaub "organized" these workouts several weeks after Brees and Eli were getting national recognition for getting their teams together. Doesnt impress me.

link please :rolleyes:

ckhouston
02-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Don't even waste the effort, man. Dude has his mind made up. You can't change someone's opinion when they're hell-bent on trolling.

Why does it make someone a troll just because they have a different viewpoint than you do? Maybe you should learn the definition of a word before attempting to use it.

ckhouston
02-21-2012, 09:41 AM
link please :rolleyes:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fa7212/article/breesorganized-player-workout-draws-37-saints-to-tulane

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/05/eli_manning_organizes_giants_o.html

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/5531/sanchez-jets-planning-full-team-workout

2012Champs
02-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Why does it make someone a troll just because they have a different viewpoint than you do? Maybe you should learn the definition of a word before attempting to use it.

when did your account get suspended from the other texans mb?

ckhouston
02-21-2012, 09:56 AM

What does that matter? That board suspends folks based on pure bias. The point of a message board is to encourage conversation. Conversation can sometimes lead to debate. If you debate the mods on that board you are booted. The current lead mod there has said worse things, and thrown out more personal attacks, and overall been a jerk to more folks than I ever did. He got rewarded with being appointed a mod. Go figure.

2012Champs
02-21-2012, 10:00 AM
What does that matter? That board suspends folks based on pure bias. The point of a message board is to encourage conversation. Conversation can sometimes lead to debate. If you debate the mods on that board you are booted. The current lead mod there has said worse things, and thrown out more personal attacks, and overall been a jerk to more folks than I ever did. He got rewarded with being appointed a mod. Go figure.

Just curious

Maddict5
02-21-2012, 10:03 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fa7212/article/breesorganized-player-workout-draws-37-saints-to-tulane

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/05/eli_manning_organizes_giants_o.html

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/5531/sanchez-jets-planning-full-team-workout

1. the sarcasm smile was obviously lost on you. just showing what each thread would look like if everybody trolled like you do

2. as you did throw up those links, i only see eli, brees and sanchez organise get national recognition for their togethers in may. schaub organised OTA's in march and a mini camp later. last time i checked, march was before may.... kinda ruins your whole 'schaub only did it to get publicity/because every other qb was' angle doesnt it?

3. let this thread die. btw have you checked out the http://boards.houstontexans.com/ ? just a great forum with lots of friendly posters

2012Champs
02-21-2012, 10:05 AM
1. the sarcasm smile was obviously lost on you. just showing what each thread would look like if everybody trolled like you do

2. as you did throw up those links, i only see eli, brees and sanchez organise get national recognition for their togethers in may. schaub organised OTA's in march and a mini camp later. last time i checked, march was before may.... kinda ruins your whole 'schaub only did it to get publicity/because every other qb was' angle doesnt it?

3. let this thread die. btw have you checked out the http://boards.houstontexans.com/ ? just a great forum with lots of friendly posters

lol @ #3 he was banned

Maddict5
02-21-2012, 10:07 AM

lol.... so much for that attempt

HOU-TEX
02-21-2012, 10:10 AM

Careful there hotrod, I believe a couple of the Mods over there work this MB too. Then again, let them bridges burn....

Texan_Bill
02-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Careful there hotrod, I believe a couple of the Mods over there work this MB too. Then again, let them bridges burn....

"Hotrod"??? What are you, like 55 years old?? :kitten:

Dumpsters abound!!

ckhouston
02-21-2012, 10:35 AM

Not concerned about what anyone thinks of my opinions. They are mine and I stand by them. I have done nothing to be chastised for, so why would the mods here retaliate? I do not throw out personal insults, just discuss football and offer my opinion. If I am banned for that, then it is on the person doing that outside the guidelines of fair moderation, not me.

ckhouston
02-21-2012, 10:39 AM

The other link was from an article in June. True, McClain does say that Matt emailed the team in March, not sure when they actually got together. More than Matt did it for recognition, my point was that what he was doing wasn't anything special, and did not to me make him a leader. Glad he took that initiative, but in my opinion leadership is displayed when under fire, in game.

HOU-TEX
02-21-2012, 11:18 AM
"Hotrod"??? What are you, like 55 years old?? :kitten:

Dumpsters abound!!

Easy there pistol! You're older than I amm..*ahem*

Yes, dumpsters are abound...for sure

thunderkyss
02-21-2012, 12:50 PM
You must have had elite moron training in some Glenn Beck para-dumbass camp to come with this drivel. Well done.

This isn't necessary. The man has an opinion, he shared it. You don't have to agree. In fact, we encourage you to voice your own opinion. But this goes too far.

Aside from that, he's not the only non-Schaub Homer around. The man has holes in his game. They may not be as critical or as bad as Premier states (I personally believe he's more right than most of the Schaub homers).... but it's a valid opinion nontheless.

HOU-TEX
02-21-2012, 12:54 PM
This isn't necessary. The man has an opinion, he shared it. You don't have to agree. In fact, we encourage you to voice your own opinion. But this goes too far.

Aside from that, he's not the only non-Schaub Homer around. The man has holes in his game. They may not be as critical or as bad as Premier states (I personally believe he's more right than most of the Schaub homers).... but it's a valid opinion nontheless.

True or false?

The Texans would've beaten the Ravens with Schaub?

thunderkyss
02-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Here's the deal. There are about 100 different types of QBs out there, just like there are thousands of different cars. Some people like the sports cars; Vettes, Ferraris, Lambos. Some people like the "Smart" cars; Prius, Hybrids, Leaf...

& that's ok.

Matt Schaub is simply not Premier's thing. He probably likes (& I'm just saying, I don't know) the Super Athletic types, the Romo/Farve/Montana/Netwon type. But Matt isn't that type. Matt's also not the "heady type" the guys who are going to beat you because of their understanding of the game..... Brady, Manning, Brees, Rogers.

So what type is he?

Heck, his supporters say, "Sure Matt can get us to a Super Bowl, look at Grossman, look at Hasselbeck. He can win it for us to, look at Dilfer, look at Johnson."

I don't think that's a very good argument.

GP
02-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Not concerned about what anyone thinks of my opinions. They are mine and I stand by them. I have done nothing to be chastised for, so why would the mods here retaliate? I do not throw out personal insults, just discuss football and offer my opinion. If I am banned for that, then it is on the person doing that outside the guidelines of fair moderation, not me.

Well said.

2012Champs
02-21-2012, 01:04 PM
True or false?

thats not a true false statement the answer is unknown. We would have had a much better shot with Schaub though

thunderkyss
02-21-2012, 01:04 PM
True or false?

It all depends on how the man handles pressure. Not the in your face pressure of the pass rush, Tj wasn't sacked at all in that game.

But the pressure of having the ball in your hand with a play-off game on the line.

Matt hasn't played in a game of that magnitude in a.. well, ever. He hasn't played extremely well with the game on the line & the ball in his hands since... well, it's been a long time. I personally question if he could do it again.

Yeah, the defense has let him down several times. I'm not denying that. But the last time Schaub faced the Ravens he didn't do enough to get us the win (not just him, several others as well, but Matt was there). Even the time before that, the last mistake of that game was made by Matt Schaub.

So, if Schaub was healthy playing that game.... the Homer in me says we would have won it. The realist in me says, this team (now) is strong enough to handle a little QB controversy. Instead of bringing someone in to push Tj, let's bring someone in to push both of them.

GP
02-21-2012, 01:08 PM
True or false?

True. MAYBE.

I have to think the Owen Daniels hand injury prohibited him from playing the sort of role he normally plays for his QB, and Schaub loves to go to OD every game with that huge seam-splitting route and the across-the-field routes that leave OD on an island.

And I have to wonder how Schaub would have dealt with Ed Reed and that whole dynamic. Probably would've been smarter about it than Yates was, but still...I could see Schaub failing to read Ed Reed properly on a few throws that might have also ended up as picks.

But yeah, I think we found a wall for Yates to run into...which, IMO, was his mini version of his sophomore slump--The part where a guy has spent all his money and has to find new ways to pay the bills. I happen to think Yates can have a great 2012 if he runs with the 1's in OTAs, camp, etc. He needs a full regimen of QB1 duties. And with the Schaub injury, I think he'll get that.

2012Champs
02-21-2012, 01:10 PM
True. MAYBE.

I have to think the Owen Daniels hand injury prohibited him from playing the sort of role he normally plays for his QB, and Schaub loves to go to OD every game with that huge seam-splitting route and the across-the-field routes that leave OD on an island.

And I have to wonder how Schaub would have dealt with Ed Reed and that whole dynamic. Probably would've been smarter about it than Yates was, but still...I could see Schaub failing to read Ed Reed properly on a few throws that might have also ended up as picks.

But yeah, I think we found a wall for Yates to run into...which, IMO, was his mini version of his sophomore slump--The part where a guy has spent all his money and has to find new ways to pay the bills. I happen to think Yates can have a great 2012 if he runs with the 1's in OTAs, camp, etc. He needs a full regimen of QB1 duties. And with the Schaub injury, I think he'll get that.

Yates didnt hit a wall in balt, his wall was only scoring 16ppg

GP
02-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Yates didnt hit a wall in balt, his wall was only scoring 16ppg

Not sure I agree with that.

He found ways to make plays...see both the Bengals game, one of which was on the road and he clinched the game with a last-second throw that he easily could have choked away, the other was a playoff game where he played solidly all day.

In the Baltimore game, he looked like he was out of his element and he couldn't string together a consistent drive to save his life. IMO, it was this game that it all caught up to him. Some think he had previously been playing over his head, but I think he hit a wall in terms of the overall lack of preparation he had been given (due to running scout team and not running with the 1's, plus not having a full off-season due to the lockout). Give the guy a full off-season, OTAs, and camp as the QB1 and I think he makes a leap forward in 2012.

BUT...it would sure be nice if he has Foster AND Tate to lean on while testing those sophomore waters.

ckhouston
02-21-2012, 02:06 PM
True or false?

Or you could pose the same T/F scenario by saying we would have beat them if JJ wasn't on the team. That play changed the momentum, and complexion of the game completely. Of course we will never know how either scenario would have played out.

2012Champs
02-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Not sure I agree with that.

He found ways to make plays...see both the Bengals game, one of which was on the road and he clinched the game with a last-second throw that he easily could have choked away, the other was a playoff game where he played solidly all day.

In the Baltimore game, he looked like he was out of his element and he couldn't string together a consistent drive to save his life. IMO, it was this game that it all caught up to him. Some think he had previously been playing over his head, but I think he hit a wall in terms of the overall lack of preparation he had been given (due to running scout team and not running with the 1's, plus not having a full off-season due to the lockout). Give the guy a full off-season, OTAs, and camp as the QB1 and I think he makes a leap forward in 2012.

BUT...it would sure be nice if he has Foster AND Tate to lean on while testing those sophomore waters.

Really? You dont agree that scoring on avg 16 points wasnt our problem with Yates? Funny I think Schaub was avg 27 ppg. I think too many people over look Yates and his rookie way because he picked up some early wins but the kid had breaks along the way. 3 ints in balt was just the start because balt dropped another 2-3, he a couple more easy pics dropped before that game, one pic 6 called back etc. All that said 16 ppg isnt going to cut it

2012Champs
02-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Or you could pose the same T/F scenario by saying we would have beat them if JJ wasn't on the team. That play changed the momentum, and complexion of the game completely. Of course we will never know how either scenario would have played out.

Yeah 5 min into the game we were smashed and lost all momentum being down 4 points with no hope of recovering

Texan_Bill
02-21-2012, 02:37 PM

:foottap: I was just getting that taste out of my mouth, and there you go forcefeeding me a **** sandwich.

:voodoo:

HOU-TEX
02-21-2012, 02:53 PM

Changed the momentum of the game on the Ravens 1st possession of the game? Doubtful, but your point is semi-valid

However, 2 of Yates' INTs were huge for the Ravens. Throwing a pick on 1st down from your own 23 to AJ, who was quadruple covered. And an INT from the Ravens 38, which iced the game for the Ravens.

Now, without getting into a painful debate over that game, I think Schaub would've led us to a W. But you're right, it's all speculation. I don't consider myself a Schaub hater or lover (whatever the term is), but even with his token bonehead play in big games we get the W IMO.

GP
02-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Really? You dont agree that scoring on avg 16 points wasnt our problem with Yates? Funny I think Schaub was avg 27 ppg. I think too many people over look Yates and his rookie way because he picked up some early wins but the kid had breaks along the way. 3 ints in balt was just the start because balt dropped another 2-3, he a couple more easy pics dropped before that game, one pic 6 called back etc. All that said 16 ppg isnt going to cut it

Two HUGE factors going on with the 16 ppg stat.

1. Yates is obviously not Hall of Fame material right now. Duh. Let's keep it in proper perspective about where he was then, and where he can be in 2012. A lot of this can be washed away if Yates is given more time with the 1's as I state over and over. You can't just enter an NFL game and rattle off 27 ppg and win every game including the Super Bowl as a rookie in the NFL who didn't even get into the starter's role until 3/4ths of the season had been played already. It doesn't happen. Looking at all that he was up against, he wasn't as bad as his 16 ppg is made out to be.

2. After the AFC South clinching win vs. Bengals on the road, the team as a whole looked like hammered dog crap. Lackluster vs. Indy (with help from the refs, btw). Lackluster vs. Carolina. Pulled starters vs. Titans and Yates wasn't even in that game past the second or 3rd possession of the 1st quarter, IIRC.

I can't grade Yates fairly just because he flopped in the Ravens playoff game. I think some people are so disappointed in the outcome of that game that they are soured on Yates. I haven't said anything to the degree of him being the next best thing and a sure-fire HOF'er. I have said that based on what we went through, and what we're up against with Schaub coming back from an injury that has historically not seen a successful comeback by other NFL players who had this severity of LisFranc injury, that Yates has the potential to use a full off-season, a full camp, and all of it as QB1 which means he gets reps. And reps are needed, with the 1's, to see what we got in Yates.

I don't think the Yates we saw in the loss to Balt is the real Yates. I think it was a bad day that he was going to have. Had he played like a monster vs. Ravens, and we had won, he might have had that bad day vs. Patriots in the AFC Championship game. You just never know. I happen to think it will benefit him MORE in the long run to have had that bad day THIS year so that he has motivation and clarity on what is expected and required to go all the way in 2012. Sometimes a setback like his is what a guy needs to make a leap. That's all I'm saying.

Texan_Bill
02-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Changed the momentum of the game on the Ravens 1st possession of the game? Doubtful, but your point is semi-valid

I think it's extremely valid. With a rookie QB you need to play with a lead (because he will throw picks). JJ singlehandedly spotted the Ravens a 7-0 lead after the defense went out and did their job on the opening series.

2012Champs
02-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Two HUGE factors going on with the 16 ppg stat.

1. Yates is obviously not Hall of Fame material right now. Duh. Let's keep it in proper perspective about where he was then, and where he can be in 2012. A lot of this can be washed away if Yates is given more time with the 1's as I state over and over. You can't just enter an NFL game and rattle off 27 ppg and win every game including the Super Bowl as a rookie in the NFL who didn't even get into the starter's role until 3/4ths of the season had been played already. It doesn't happen. Looking at all that he was up against, he wasn't as bad as his 16 ppg is made out to be.

I hope yates does get better but his 16 ppg were big reason for our losses with him starting

2. After the AFC South clinching win vs. Bengals on the road, the team as a whole looked like hammered dog crap. Lackluster vs. Indy (with help from the refs, btw). Lackluster vs. Carolina. Pulled starters vs. Titans and Yates wasn't even in that game past the second or 3rd possession of the 1st quarter, IIRC.

Lackluster is a pretty good adj for the given situation

I can't grade Yates fairly just because he flopped in the Ravens playoff game. I think some people are so disappointed in the outcome of that game that they are soured on Yates. I haven't said anything to the degree of him being the next best thing and a sure-fire HOF'er. I have said that based on what we went through, and what we're up against with Schaub coming back from an injury that has historically not seen a successful comeback by other NFL players who had this severity of LisFranc injury, that Yates has the potential to use a full off-season, a full camp, and all of it as QB1 which means he gets reps. And reps are needed, with the 1's, to see what we got in Yates.

I don't think the Yates we saw in the loss to Balt is the real Yates. I think it was a bad day that he was going to have. Had he played like a monster vs. Ravens, and we had won, he might have had that bad day vs. Patriots in the AFC Championship game. You just never know. I happen to think it will benefit him MORE in the long run to have had that bad day THIS year so that he has motivation and clarity on what is expected and required to go all the way in 2012. Sometimes a setback like his is what a guy needs to make a leap. That's all I'm saying.

Yates played very rookie like in more than just the ravens game and thats to be expected really because he was one after all.

2012Champs
02-21-2012, 03:46 PM
I think it's extremely valid. With a rookie QB you need to play with a lead (because he will throw picks). JJ singlehandedly spotted the Ravens a 7-0 lead after the defense went out and did their job on the opening series.

The lead was not 7-0 and being down 4 points after 5 mins shoudnt stop you from winning. Our defense gave us every chance to win, Yates just couldnt pull it off

HOU-TEX
02-21-2012, 04:19 PM

Don't get me wrong, it was a huge play in the game, no doubt.

My point is Schaub could've easily overcome the boneheaded play of JJ, especially the way our D was playing. Schaub has his token 'Jacoby' type play every now and then, but does anyone think he would've thrown that ball to AJ with 4 defenders? Or throw to Walter in double, almost triple coverage? Or throw deep to a double covered AJ on 1st down with 2 min to go? I don't

Texan_Bill
02-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Don't get me wrong, it was a huge play in the game, no doubt.

My point is Schaub could've easily overcome the boneheaded play of JJ, especially the way our D was playing. Schaub has his token 'Jacoby' type play every now and then, but does anyone think he would've thrown that ball to AJ with 4 defenders? Or throw to Walter in double, almost triple coverage? Or throw deep to a double covered AJ on 1st down with 2 min to go? I don't

Oh, I gotcha!! No doubt. That mistake wouldn't have been nearly as detrimental with Schaub under center.

HOU-TEX
02-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Oh, I gotcha!! No doubt. That mistake wouldn't have been nearly as detrimental with Schaub under center.

I probably wasn't very clear in what I was trying to say. My mind has been going every which way but loose lately.

Texan_Bill
02-21-2012, 04:33 PM
I probably wasn't very clear in what I was trying to say. My mind has been going every which way but loose lately.

It gets worse, my friend. It gets worse.

Double Barrel
02-21-2012, 04:45 PM
True or false?

It's pure speculation, but my gut feeling is that we would have been in the AFC Championship game with Schaub. And seeing how the Patriots played, it's quite possible the Super Bowl.

:koolaid:

HOU-TEX
02-21-2012, 05:24 PM
It's pure speculation, but my gut feeling is that we would have been in the AFC Championship game with Schaub. And seeing how the Patriots played, it's quite possible the Super Bowl.

My thoughts exactly in a shorter and to the point post. :winky:

thunderkyss
02-21-2012, 05:27 PM

completely plausible.

So now, we go into another season hoping (praying for those that do) that Schaub can stay relatively healthy...... that our key (core) players stay relatively healthy.

However, if that doesn't happen, have you seen enough of Tj Yates to believe he will/will not finish what Schaub started if the opportunity repeats itself?

Playoffs
02-21-2012, 07:45 PM

:koolaid:Yup. Super Bowl, imo.

Corrosion
02-22-2012, 02:37 AM
completely plausible.

So now, we go into another season hoping (praying for those that do) that Schaub can stay relatively healthy...... that our key (core) players stay relatively healthy.

However, if that doesn't happen, have you seen enough of Tj Yates to believe he will/will not finish what Schaub started if the opportunity repeats itself?

Thats a real good question ....

We have to consider that there was no training camp , OTA's or interaction otherwise between the coaches and players prior to ~two weeks before game one.

Given the above preperation time , one would expect a better performance from Yates.

Still , the learning curve for an NFL QB is steep .... I dont think Yates has come close to the peak of that curve. He's going to improve. Question is , how much and is it enough ?! At this juncture , I just dont know .... possible he could get the job doneif other things fell into place.

Post #21,000 (get a life)

ObsiWan
02-22-2012, 03:01 AM

Ummm... where's YOUR link that proves your timeline?? As I recall, Brees was the Saints rep to the negotiations so when did he have time to organize team workouts?

welsh texan
02-22-2012, 08:37 AM
I think we may be wearing rose-tinted spectacles when we're thinking about how Schaub would have managed that Ravens game.

Schaub is undoubtedly the better QB (pre-lisfranc anyway), but don't forget that while Schaub likely wouldn't have thrown those INT's, he would quite likely have held on to the ball and our passing game may well have gone totally cold instead.

Thats what Schaub has shown me under pressure sometimes, so to say carte-blanche that Schaub would have won that game is a stretch.

2012Champs
02-22-2012, 09:38 AM
I think we may be wearing rose-tinted spectacles when we're thinking about how Schaub would have managed that Ravens game.

Schaub is undoubtedly the better QB (pre-lisfranc anyway), but don't forget that while Schaub likely wouldn't have thrown those INT's, he would quite likely have held on to the ball and our passing game may well have gone totally cold instead.

Thats what Schaub has shown me under pressure sometimes, so to say carte-blanche that Schaub would have won that game is a stretch.

Schaub would have held on to the ball too long? Maybe that would cut down on the ints but Im certain Schaub was posting points a lot easier than Yates and its not like Yates did a lot better avoiding the sacks

Rey
02-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Schaub would have held on to the ball too long? Maybe that would cut down on the ints but Im certain Schaub was posting points a lot easier than Yates and its not like Yates did a lot better avoiding the sacks

Yates was sacked 2 times in two play off games, and 0 of those was against the Ravens.

I'm not sold that Schaub alone gets it done for us either. I like our chances a lot better but I don't think it would have been a sure thing.

The first time we played Baltimore with Matt (granted, No Andre) we only put up 14 points.

2012Champs
02-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Yates was sacked 2 times in two play off games, and 0 of those was against the Ravens.

I'm not sold that Schaub alone gets it done for us either. I like our chances a lot better but I don't think it would have been a sure thing.

this last season
Schaub was sacked 16 times in 10 games
Yates was sacked 17 times in 7.5 games

GP
02-22-2012, 11:03 AM

I know your question was aimed at DB, but I'll take a swing at it too.

It doesn't matter if we've seen enough of Yates, or not, to make a decision. That's what people are failing to understand. We have limited choices right now:

1. Sign a FA guy to compete in camp, to challenge Yates or be a replacement for Schaub if he can't return for a myriad of reasons.

2. Draft another QB, somewhere in some round of the draft, and have HIM compete with Yates and/or the FA QB we signed to compete with Schaub/Yates.

3. Name Yates the starter, by default, and roll with it through OTAs, camp, preseason, reg season opening games...biding time for Schaub to fully return and using Yates as a fallback option if Schaub can't return or stay on the field.

None of these scenarios involve Matt Schaub being the Day 1 QB1 when reg season begins because it's virtually impossible for him to have gained back all that he lost during post-op "rest period" AND be a QB1 right out of the gate by September. If he is, and if he remains and is frolicking around out on the field and winning games right and left all season long then he should be cloned because it means he's not a mortal man like Ty Law, Warrick Dunn, Glen Earl, Duce Staley, etc.

This means you got three options (listed above).

I think we'll add a camp arm or two or three, for sure. But I expect Kubiak to be loyal (as he always is) to the one he brought to the dance. He can't be loyal to Schaub, yet, due to circumstances, but he can be loyal to Yates. It's what has made the Texans the resilient team that they were in 2011--Because they all know that Kubiak has your back and he won't toss you to the trash can if you have a bad day or week or hell, even a bad season.

Nobody knows what we have in Yates, though the Ravens playoff game is being used by some as the ultimate proof of what we have in Yates. What makes 2012 so interesting, already, is that we DO get to see what Yates has or what Kubiak has planned if Yates isn't the QB1 after all.

If we sign all our guys back, with Foster being the chief weapon on offense we must re-sign, then whomever is QB is going to be the key decision for this team. Everything else runs like clockwork, but the QB decision will be paramount to the rest of the offense being able to function as its designed by Kubiak and Dennison.

I am not a Yates homer, but I think Kubiak rolls with him right out of the gate and adds camp arms to supplement Yates as insurance against Yates cratering early on or getting hurt. Leinart should not be on this roster, btw. I know you disagree, but the guy is hot garbage and it's time to cut him loose. The Jax game was all the proof I need to make that analysis, and Yates came in like a fireball and led the team VERTICALLY down the field before Kubiak handcuffed him (for good reason).

Rey
02-22-2012, 12:10 PM
this last season
Schaub was sacked 16 times in 10 games
Yates was sacked 17 times in 7.5 games

I was responding about the Baltimore game (which is where this conversation originated) and our match up with them. Schaub took 4 sacks against them earlier in the year and Yates took 0 against them in the play-offs.

Rey
02-22-2012, 12:22 PM

I think Yates will develop into a solid starter...

If you look at Yates and Schaub's rookie years in comparison I think Yates had the better year. I don't remember what the Falcons situation was at that time, but Schaub wasn't all that...

As a rookie I thought Yates did a decent job. I expect him to get better in the years up coming...

They say the biggest jump for most players is year 1 to year 2, so it will be interesting to see Yates perform in the pre-season. IMO, we have two guys capable of starting and winning games.

2012Champs
02-22-2012, 12:29 PM
I was responding about the Baltimore game (which is where this conversation originated) and our match up with them. Schaub took 4 sacks against them earlier in the year and Yates took 0 against them in the play-offs.

Well if you look at the post I had quoted it talks about Schaub's ability under pressure not just a single game.

GP
02-22-2012, 12:45 PM
I just have a gut feeling that Gary Kubiak feels he can start Yates as Texans QB, improve the offense in this year's draft, re-sign our key guys on offense that need to be re-signed, and therefore Kubiak feels he will have as good a shot as anybody else of stacking up against opposing defenses in 2012. It's the sum of the whole, not JUST the QB position that this offense relies upon.

I genuinely think it's what he'll do, what his approach will be in terms of QB. He's going to think if he can get decent production from Yates...the rest will take care of itself.

Look, the first year or two Schaub was here...Schaub was making some bad choices and Kubiak was patient with him and probably focused on helping his QB understand how NOT to kill scoring opportunities so easily. He can do this with Yates, too, IMO. I was THE leading critic on here several years ago talking about how bad Schaub is and how he has no future and has nowhere to go but down, and all Kubiak did was stick with Schaub and create a really nice set of stats that proved me wrong every season since then. I think I've reached a point of trusting that Gary Kubiak will handle the QB position just fine...of course, the Matt Leinart scenario scares the hell outta' me in terms of knocking holes in my theory.

Even in recent seasons, Schaub has been known to brain fart a throw or two and it costs us...but then again, most of those games we still found a way to win. Kubiak of all people should know that a QB is never going to be flawless, and I think he has more patience for that position than any of us do. That's why I think he's thrilled with Yates thus far; he's going to get a chance to shape another QB like he did with Schaub. That's what a guy like GK lives for, actually: The selection, the shaping, and the end product of his starting QB.

We'll be OK at QB, it's the other FA signings we need to handle that is worrying me to death.

Trail.Blazr
02-22-2012, 01:16 PM
This thread has surely gone off topic, but to chime in with a different viewpoint, I want to come to the defense of Schaub, and possibly tie it back to the Peyton topic...

I think most anyone would agree that Matt can improve in areas. He'd probably be at the front of the line of people to suggest so, which is testament to his leadership style. This guy is light years ahead of when #8 had a four letter word above it. He's easily a better QB than alot of past SB winners. In fact, I'd go so far as to put him in the Troy Aikman class, which seemed to work for many a Cowboy SB rings. My point is, pre-week 10 version of Schaub wouldn't warrant a change at QB for a couple of years, given his salary and the cost of improving the position comes with having to ignore other pressing needs on the roster. For that very reason, Peyton coming to Houston could be as detrimental to the team's ability to field a well rounded roster as it did the Colts. Why do you think the colts fell off the wagon? Too much invested in Petyon financially and when he wasn't on the field, they fell victim to that. Pity for Indy fans. It was a worthy risk, but in the end it cost them. But with a ring to show for it, my sympathy only goes so far.

Back on point... to feel angst about the how likely 2012 Schaub may or may not be able to play as effectively as before, is warranted. We do have potential for a QB issue. But for the very reasons that is a concern with Schaub it certainly wouldn't allow for a pass to be given to Peyton. The best possible scenario I can imagine is that Schaub is healthy enough to take the field come training camp and TJ's tutelage continues knowing he had a good healthy taste of the NFL to build upon his continued learning and growth.

The only way I'd be happy with the notion of Peyton coming in, would be if it's determined that Matt can't play prior to pre-season. And then 2 things are a must... Peyton would obviously have to prove he's got his velocity back. and he'd have to be willing to play for Schaub money + incentives of games played or something like that. No way you break the financial chemistry of the team to bring in the enemy.

But all this talk about Schaub not being a leader and questioning his play over the past couple of years to suggest he can't get us there shows a lack of loyalty to someone who was one of the key reasons the offense catapulted from obscurity to relevance. Even then, it was shadowed by poor defense or fluke injuries, yet I have NEVER heard him complain one time. Like a true leader, he often absorbs/shoulders the blame for the team and continually strives for improvement. Hall of Famer? Absolutely not... but I try not to paint him irrelevant. I'm pretty confident he embodies the kind of leader that McNair wants. So if Matt is able to go, we'll see #8 under center for another season... FACT

thunderkyss
02-22-2012, 06:15 PM
I know your question was aimed at DB, but I'll take a swing at it too.

The question is for anyone who cares to respond. Thank you for adding your thoughts.

It doesn't matter if we've seen enough of Yates, or not, to make a decision. That's what people are failing to understand.

I beg to differ. How we answer this question, "Is Tj the heir apparent" will decide how we navigate our "limited choices"

We have limited choices right now:

1. Sign a FA guy to compete in camp

2. Draft another QB

3. Name Yates the starter

Well, as unpopular as it may be, don't forget we have Leinart under contract. I know most don't appreciate "check down" Matt, but I guarantee you he "graded" highly for Coach Kubiak. He protected the ball, moved the chains & put points on the board.

Other than being left handed, there aren't many differences between Leinart & Schaub. I actually prefer Leinart because he does not & has not ever worn the number 8 (which is a QB number I just can't get past - I've tried).

Anyway... going by the bird in the hand rule, if Schaub isn't 100% by OTAs, Leinart & Yates compete for the job.

None of these scenarios involve Matt Schaub being the Day 1 QB1 when reg season begins because it's virtually impossible for him to have gained back all that he lost during post-op "rest period" AND be a QB1 right out of the gate by September.

I think we'll just let this play out. If he can play, he can play.

I think we'll add a camp arm or two or three, for sure.

I bet we at least bring a QB in for the practice squad, someone to run the scout team.

Leinart should not be on this roster, btw. I know you disagree, but the guy is hot garbage and it's time to cut him loose. The Jax game was all the proof I need to make that analysis, and Yates came in like a fireball and led the team VERTICALLY down the field before Kubiak handcuffed him (for good reason).

I hear ya..... just don't see it the same way. Yates got thrown in under a certain situation, we don't know how Leinart would have treated that 4 minute drill.

We do know how Yates handled a full game. We Avg'd 16 points with Yates pulling the trigger. We scored 17 with Leinart for less than a half.

Leinart looked a lot more like Schaub. Picking & choosing when to take risks, & hitting home runs when it mattered. We weren't throwing the ball 50 times.... or even 30 times when we put 41 points on Tennessee, or 30 vs Cleveland, or 37 vs Tampa Bay.

It's about efficiency, taking care of the ball, making good decisions.

ckhouston
02-23-2012, 12:35 AM
someone who was one of the key reasons the offense catapulted from obscurity to relevance.

I would place more of that recognition on a much improved offensive line, and running game. Over the three years people keep bringing up that Schaubs "stats" were so glorious, you can break down key plays in losses and put those squarely on his shoulders. If not for Matt, we are a playoff team a couple of years earlier.

ckhouston
02-23-2012, 12:40 AM
I just have a gut feeling that Gary Kubiak feels he can start Yates as Texans QB, improve the offense in this year's draft, re-sign our key guys on offense that need to be re-signed, and therefore Kubiak feels he will have as good a shot as anybody else of stacking up against opposing defenses in 2012. It's the sum of the whole, not JUST the QB position that this offense relies upon.

I genuinely think it's what he'll do, what his approach will be in terms of QB. He's going to think if he can get decent production from Yates...the rest will take care of itself.

Look, the first year or two Schaub was here...Schaub was making some bad choices and Kubiak was patient with him and probably focused on helping his QB understand how NOT to kill scoring opportunities so easily. He can do this with Yates, too, IMO. I was THE leading critic on here several years ago talking about how bad Schaub is and how he has no future and has nowhere to go but down, and all Kubiak did was stick with Schaub and create a really nice set of stats that proved me wrong every season since then. I think I've reached a point of trusting that Gary Kubiak will handle the QB position just fine...of course, the Matt Leinart scenario scares the hell outta' me in terms of knocking holes in my theory.

Even in recent seasons, Schaub has been known to brain fart a throw or two and it costs us...but then again, most of those games we still found a way to win. Kubiak of all people should know that a QB is never going to be flawless, and I think he has more patience for that position than any of us do. That's why I think he's thrilled with Yates thus far; he's going to get a chance to shape another QB like he did with Schaub. That's what a guy like GK lives for, actually: The selection, the shaping, and the end product of his starting QB.

We'll be OK at QB, it's the other FA signings we need to handle that is worrying me to death.

I tend to agree. I think Matt and possibly Smith will be cap casualties. Would hate to see it, but OD and Ryans could end up there too. Most important thing imho is getting the key producers signed (O-line, RB, Defense) and fill in around them the best you can with what is left. You can blame the Ravens loss on JJ, Yates, or play calling, but I believe if we keep running it down their throat and sub in fresh Tate for Foster and vice versa, I do not see us losing to them ... or the Pats. Giants defense would have given us a run for our money.

Scooter
02-23-2012, 03:42 AM

i think yates has all of the tools as well as having "IT". i dont think he's ready and dont at all get the impression kubiak does either.

kubiak wants his quarterbacks to work blind. A, B, C, Dump with eyes closed. we run the same routes in exceptionally creative ways all game - but most are insanely simple reads for the quarterback in terms of vertical or split progressions. we traded two second round picks for a slow motion weak arm because he could do these things. unlike the projects we take on (orlovsky, leinart, and a few college spread offense studs) with the hopes of finding that mental acuity within a physical package, schaub was already there despite his warts. schaub makes his fair share of brain farts, but they're within the system and favor throws kubiak is ok with. yates isnt in that zip code yet.

we've got game tape on yates, and it's going to take him more time than this offseason to run a blindfolded offense. i can tell you that kubiak's not happy about having to design routes to free up one receiver for yates because he was unable to see #2. that's not an offseason fix. the poise and trust in the system showed a lot, but his play in kubiak's "denny's menu" wont have him higher than #2 going into next season - if that.

Trail.Blazr
02-23-2012, 09:05 AM
I would place more of that recognition on a much improved offensive line, and running game.
In the last two years yes, I'll lean more toward the line and run game, but prior, he was just as instrumental as anyone. And his first few years as a Texan is the timeframe of obscurity to relevance I speak to. We went from HWNWNBM's 1:1 TD/INT ratio along with 40-50-70 sacks/yr to seeing much improved results virtually overnight, while we still had MAJOR line issues. Again, I'm not putting him in the HOF, just keeping him relevant in terms to this teams success on the offensive side of the ball since 2007.

Over the three years people keep bringing up that Schaubs "stats" were so glorious, you can break down key plays in losses and put those squarely on his shoulders.
That's football. Now, up until last year, when Houston hasn't been closer to the cellar, they have always been in the bottom half of the league in terms of points allowed per game. So when you read into key plays, chances are it's while the offense is scratching and clawing their way back to overcome a deficit. Losses will happen. Despite that, again, Matt would shoulder that and put it "squarely on his shoulders".

If not for Matt, we are a playoff team a couple of years earlier.
If not for Matt. true. If not for Kube's poor game decisions. If not for Kris Brown. If not for Sage. If not for KJax. If not for ... that list can go on and more than likely all would be true in their own way. Bottom line... Until we had a Defense that was ranked in the top half of the league in respect to points per game, we never made the playoffs... coincidence?

If I go back to the Cowboy's last glory years, it's the same story. Under Aikman, starting in 89, it wasn't until 91 until their D wasn't at the bottom of ppg till they made the playoffs. And 92, when their D hit the top 5 in that category they went to the Super Bowl. And at NO time during that run, did Aikman ever have a year as good, statistically, as any of Schaub's.

As already stated twice, I'm not putting Schaub in HOF class. Heck I'm not even one to try to "glorify" his stats. He's definitely upgradable/replaceable. But at a price that's hard to justify miss-directing $$$ better spent elsewhere on the team. And to spend that money on a Healthy Peyton would be tempting, but the way this offense works, Peyton has just as much risk/reward factor as a Healthy Schaub over the course of the season. I personally would take my chances with Matt, and spend my cap $$$ wisely, knowing Matt has the tools to get it done.

ckhouston
02-23-2012, 10:47 AM
And to spend that money on a Healthy Peyton would be tempting, but the way this offense works, Peyton has just as much risk/reward factor as a Healthy Schaub over the course of the season

Actually if reports are true, there would be zero risk with Peyton. He wants no money guaranteed. Bring him in for nothing, if he blows you away in camp you start him and pay him based upon agreed incentives, if he doesn't you cut him. The injury he sustained is no longer a structural concern based on reports, just whether or not the nerve will heal to the extent to allow him to throw accurately and with velocity.

ChampionTexan
02-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Actually if reports are true, there would be zero risk with Peyton. He wants no money guaranteed. Bring him in for nothing, if he blows you away in camp you start him and pay him based upon agreed incentives, if he doesn't you cut him. The injury he sustained is no longer a structural concern based on reports, just whether or not the nerve will heal to the extent to allow him to throw accurately and with velocity.

I don't believe he said he "wants" no guaranteed money, he said he'd be open to it, and that's not the same thing. All it takes is one team to decide to throw some real money at him (and I believe if/when he becomes available, there will be more than one team that falls into that category), and poof - you have risk.

thunderkyss
02-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Actually if reports are true, there would be zero risk with Peyton. He wants no money guaranteed. Bring him in for nothing...

Regardless what he said, that's not the way it works. That statement only puts teams & GMs on notice, that he's not looking for a "big payday" & that he wants to play.

So starts the bidding war. If we're going to offer him a contract say $38 guaranteed, Washington can trump it with $45 guaranteed. & while we Texans' fans see a world of difference between the two teams because we made it to the play-offs & they didn't, it wouldn't take much of a GM to sell Peyton on the idea that he & Wayne (who they can guarantee to go after) can make the 'skins a play-off contender.

Then Tampa Bay or Miami can give him the same line & offer $55M & $60M...

So now Peyton is looking at playing for the Texans @ $38M or Miami @ $60M.....

It may not be about the money for Peyton, but GMs are going to be throwing it at him if he can prove he is healthy.

2012Champs
02-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Regardless what he said, that's not the way it works. That statement only puts teams & GMs on notice, that he's not looking for a "big payday" & that he wants to play.

So starts the bidding war. If we're going to offer him a contract say $38 guaranteed, Washington can trump it with $45 guaranteed. & while we Texans' fans see a world of difference between the two teams because we made it to the play-offs & they didn't, it wouldn't take much of a GM to sell Peyton on the idea that he & Wayne (who they can guarantee to go after) can make the 'skins a play-off contender.

Then Tampa Bay or Miami can give him the same line & offer $55M & $60M...

So now Peyton is looking at playing for the Texans @ $38M or Miami @ $60M.....

It may not be about the money for Peyton, but GMs are going to be throwing it at him if he can prove he is healthy.

Im not sure he will see guaranteed money anywhere in the area you are throwing around

GP
02-23-2012, 12:47 PM
i think yates has all of the tools as well as having "IT". i dont think he's ready and dont at all get the impression kubiak does either.

kubiak wants his quarterbacks to work blind. A, B, C, Dump with eyes closed. we run the same routes in exceptionally creative ways all game - but most are insanely simple reads for the quarterback in terms of vertical or split progressions. we traded two second round picks for a slow motion weak arm because he could do these things. unlike the projects we take on (orlovsky, leinart, and a few college spread offense studs) with the hopes of finding that mental acuity within a physical package, schaub was already there despite his warts. schaub makes his fair share of brain farts, but they're within the system and favor throws kubiak is ok with. yates isnt in that zip code yet.

we've got game tape on yates, and it's going to take him more time than this offseason to run a blindfolded offense. i can tell you that kubiak's not happy about having to design routes to free up one receiver for yates because he was unable to see #2. that's not an offseason fix. the poise and trust in the system showed a lot, but his play in kubiak's "denny's menu" wont have him higher than #2 going into next season - if that.

I don't think he's ready either, and Kubiak probably feels that way to.

But being ready is not a luxury we have right now. He will have to GET ready in OTAs, camp, preseason, etc., which is something Yates did not have the opportunity to do in 2011.

It feels like I'm a broken record here, but I'll say it again:

1. TJ Yates did not have an off-season to prepare as a Texans QB.

2. He did not have OTAs here.

3. He did not have a camp here, or at least not one that really mattered much since he was QB3 (and a a rookie, too) and was running scout team while Schaub and Leinart ran with the 1's and 2's respectively.

4.He didn't have any regular season reps with the 1's and was thrown into the Jax game out of nowhere.

Considering all that he was up against, he did as much as a guy in that position could be expected to do.

Now think about what could happen if he gets to have a full off-season, full OTAs, full camp, and preseason games as QB1. That's like 100 years of experience compared to what he got in 2011. It's possible that he could take the hard knocks from 2011, including the bad playoff game in Baltimore, bundle it up with the wealth of preparation he's going to gain from off-season, OTAs, camp, and preseason, and grow leaps and bounds with it.

Don't know if he will, but I think people are underestimating the possibility of him flying really low under the radar just like the rest of the Texans did the year prior.

Considering the odds Schaub is up against, TJ Yates is pretty much our Luke Skywalker right now. Raw, young, and has a lot of Jedi training to undergo. But you can sense the force is strong in him. LOL.

ckhouston
02-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Im not sure he will see guaranteed money anywhere in the area you are throwing around

Not even close.

He will sign a league minimum deal with crazy incentives.

He will choose the team with the best chance to win.

This guy wont go out like Namath and Montana, he is a winner and will not play for a loser for more money.

Trail.Blazr
02-23-2012, 02:35 PM

From the Texans... I would be inclined to agree.

I suppose, only key people in Peyton's camp would be sure.

But to speculate a bit... What is the going rate for a probable 1st ballot HOF'r who puts more of a priority on playing out his final season(s) than making blockbuster money?

I don't think there is any question that teams can be found who'd be willing to break the bank to have a healthy Manning under center. His health may have been in question over the past year or two, but certainly not his talent level. Healthy, he's still among the best in the league, hands down.

I can see where he may have little need for guaranteed money, but he simply won't play for nothing. He's too smart for that. He'll likely play for what he feels he can command from whatever situation he feels is best.

ckhouston
02-23-2012, 03:34 PM
From the Texans... I would be inclined to agree.

I suppose, only key people in Peyton's camp would be sure.

But to speculate a bit... What is the going rate for a probable 1st ballot HOF'r who puts more of a priority on playing out his final season(s) than making blockbuster money?

I don't think there is any question that teams can be found who'd be willing to break the bank to have a healthy Manning under center. His health may have been in question over the past year or two, but certainly not his talent level. Healthy, he's still among the best in the league, hands down.

I can see where he may have little need for guaranteed money, but he simply won't play for nothing. He's too smart for that. He'll likely play for what he feels he can command from whatever situation he feels is best.

He will only play for a contender. Who else is a QB away from a ring? Us and the Jets, maybe the 49'ers? So it will then come to who is in a position to offer him the best three year deal, year one based on incentives, and first and foremost who he wants to play with and for. I think having AJ and the TE core would be very attractive to him, plus he wouldn't have all the pressure on him because our ground game is our nucleus. All players have expressed that playing for Kubes is great. I think in this case, money will be the least important factor.

Trail.Blazr
02-23-2012, 04:09 PM
He will only play for a contender. Who else is a QB away from a ring? Us and the Jets, maybe the 49'ers? So it will then come to who is in a position to offer him the best three year deal, year one based on incentives, and first and foremost who he wants to play with and for. I think having AJ and the TE core would be very attractive to him, plus he wouldn't have all the pressure on him because our ground game is our nucleus. All players have expressed that playing for Kubes is great. I think in this case, money will be the least important factor.

Arguably the Skins, the Dolphins, the Bears, Vikes, Broncos, Raiders and Cards. Some seemingly more stacked than the other, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility. 2011 Colts minus Manning shows the extreme drop, which inversely you could expect similar jump for any team in need of a QB to be able to make with him under center. I think I know what you are saying, but there are no absolutes in what is certainly an uncertain future for him.

If/when there is a choice to be made by Houston and Schaub looks doubtful to start the season, if healthy, I'd be happy as a clam to see Peyton in Texans uni. And in that case, I hope you are right, that money is least important. What a pleasant change that would be in the NFL we know today.

thunderkyss
02-23-2012, 06:00 PM

Seriously doubt it. If he's got a list of three teams, guaranteed money will become part of the conversation.

Team 1, "I'll offer you a league minimum salary, but you can earn $799M if you can throw for 18 TDs & a play-off appearance."

Team 2, "I'll offer you a league minimum salary, but you can earn $800M if you can throw for 3500 yards & get us into the play-offs.

Team 3, "I'll offer you $36M guaranteed over 3 years."

I'm going with team 3

drs23
02-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Seriously doubt it. If he's got a list of three teams, guaranteed money will become part of the conversation.

Team 1, "I'll offer you a league minimum salary, but you can earn $799M if you can throw for 18 TDs & a play-off appearance."

Team 2, "I'll offer you a league minimum salary, but you can earn $800M if you can throw for 3500 yards & get us into the play-offs.

Team 3, "I'll offer you $36M guaranteed over 3 years."

I'm going with team 3

But TK, that's you, not the Forehead. He's got more money now than he, his wife and kid's kid's can spend. It's all about the ring.

He'll go for the ring, not the green.

Personally I don't see the nerve regeneration happening if it hasn't by now. Just from personal experience, though I've never been a top-flite athlete. (unless 12 oz. curls count:D)

I'm thinking we'll see Peyton either on the sidelines coaching or bumping someone behind the desk on Sunday morning.

Guess we'll all hafta hide-n-watch.

Texan_Bill
02-23-2012, 08:58 PM
But TK, that's you, not the Forehead. He's got more money now than he, his wife and kid's kid's can spend. It's all about the ring.

You forgot one element before. What if one of his grandkids has a child with Allen Iverson??

Lesson? There is never enough money! :kitten:

thunderkyss
02-23-2012, 10:02 PM

He'll go for the ring, not the green.

If he has a short list (& I'm sure he does) I guarantee you he thinks he is the missing piece. At that point, they are all equal. As a Texans' fan, I understand it's difficult to see another team as a contender with Peyton's services.

But for all we know, he might think a team like KC is a better fit, & an equal contender, with the money to go get the weapons he need.... Reggie Wayne, Mike Wallace, Mario Williams, Ray Rice, & Laron Landry.

Wolf
02-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Manning hates cold weather so I will be surprised if he goes to a northern open air stadium team

ckhouston
02-24-2012, 04:13 AM
If he has a short list (& I'm sure he does) I guarantee you he thinks he is the missing piece. At that point, they are all equal. As a Texans' fan, I understand it's difficult to see another team as a contender with Peyton's services.

Many teams become a contender with Peytons services, but how many could become a dynasty? We could arguably have the number one defense, number one rushing attack, and number one passing attack in the NFL with Peyton under center an no other upgrades, just standing pat and signing current players to extensions. Why try to win another ring, when you can try to win three more? Just sayin.

leebigeztx
02-24-2012, 07:11 AM

Yep. Kinda what I've been saying. Garcia was on sirius talking about the texans. Pat and tim asked about tj yates and his thoughts. He said kubes called all the same plays because yates speaks the language. The reason they viewed him differently is the same way they had schaub as a target. Schaub had been speaking the west coast language since college. Yates can spit the plays out and understand the plays. Which brings me back to your points.

Knowing what I know and have seen, schaub has played his last game in a texans unifom. Now if yates plays like a complete bum,then probably not. By the time schaub is ready, probably mid october, yates will have a firm grip on the starting job. His arm is better and his mobility is 100x better. What he needs is experience and he'll get that moving forward. Sux for schaub since its a contract yr,but its the nfl. Since schaub bonus has been paid, the texans could and should drop his salary to 1m and allow him to make the rest up in playing time and snap bonus.That would give the texans 7m in cap room and make him easily tradeable.

leebigeztx
02-24-2012, 07:23 AM

What about the 1st ravens game or the raiders game? How quickly we forget that matt schaub. In fact, look at indy and miami games while we're at it.

Texan_Bill
02-24-2012, 08:19 AM
What about the 1st ravens game or the raiders game? How quickly we forget that matt schaub. In fact, look at indy and miami games while we're at it.

How quickly we forget "that" Matt Schaub was Andre Johnson-less.

leebigeztx
02-24-2012, 09:59 AM
How quickly we forget "that" Matt Schaub was Andre Johnson-less.

Aj played against miami and colts.If yates had johnson when he was playing,they would've produced more points. By you saying he struggled w/o andre is my primary reason why schaub is not a top qb regardless of how many yds he throws for. When the texans have played against teams that can take johnson away, schaub has been suspect.

HOU-TEX
02-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Yep. Kinda what I've been saying. Garcia was on sirius talking about the texans. Pat and tim asked about tj yates and his thoughts. He said kubes called all the same plays because yates speaks the language. The reason they viewed him differently is the same way they had schaub as a target. Schaub had been speaking the west coast language since college. Yates can spit the plays out and understand the plays. Which brings me back to your points.

Knowing what I know and have seen, schaub has played his last game in a texans unifom. Now if yates plays like a complete bum,then probably not. By the time schaub is ready, probably mid october, yates will have a firm grip on the starting job. His arm is better and his mobility is 100x better. What he needs is experience and he'll get that moving forward. Sux for schaub since its a contract yr,but its the nfl. Since schaub bonus has been paid, the texans could and should drop his salary to 1m and allow him to make the rest up in playing time and snap bonus.That would give the texans 7m in cap room and make him easily tradeable.

Did you type this with a straight face?

Schaub's far from perfect, but wanting, or expecting Yates to be the starter over him is ridiculous. We've seen or heard nothing that says Schaub won't be ready by camp. We have heard Schaub himself say he'll be ready...granted, he may just be stayin positive about the situation. Who knows?

Schaub > Yates = End of story....as if there should even be one

welsh texan
02-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Aj played against miami and colts.If yates had johnson when he was playing,they would've produced more points. By you saying he struggled w/o andre is my primary reason why schaub is not a top qb regardless of how many yds he throws for. When the texans have played against teams that can take johnson away, schaub has been suspect.

I actually thought Yates played better without AJ than with him. When AJ was on the field, Yates was only throwing it one way, without him, Yates was spreading it around nicely.

And I'm not talking about the games when AJ was just doing some route running practice as a decoy to get fit either.

drs23
02-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Did you type this with a straight face?

Geez. Schaub's far from perfect, but wanting, or expecting Yates to be the starter over him is ridiculous. We've seen or heard nothing that says Schaub won't be ready by camp. We have heard Schaub himself say he'll be ready...granted, he may just be stayin positive about the situation. Who knows?

Schaub > Yates = End of story....as if there should even be one

To the bolded: We have indeed heard that Matt won't be ready for training camp. Granted Matt himself said he would be, but that would really surprise me as well as a few others. Dr. Jean, who's been on point many, many times says by the start of the regular season, if then. Not to mention that one of our own members here had the same injury in '09 and his foot is nowhere near what it was. Granted, Marcus isn't a premier athlete and is a few years older than Matt, but it's still somewhat of a yardstick.

That would have Matt missing OTAs, mini-camp, training camp and the pre-season. He'll still have to get into game shape and all that hinges on IF he's able to, at all. All the players who've sustained this exact injury to never return have already been listed many times so it's not a stretch to draw the same conclusion here. I think GP hit the nail on the head with his post earlier. I see that being exactly the way it plays out. I see Yates starting the season and Matt TRYING to make his comeback 4-5 games into the season. He may be able to do it but I'll not be surprised to see him not being able to do it.

Guess we'll all just have to hide and watch.

Rey
02-24-2012, 11:39 AM
I look forward to seeing if Yates show improvement. I like the Yates game more than I do Schaub's, but Schaub is waaaaay more knowledgeable and he is just better at a lot of the nuances of the position....so if both are healthy it's Schaub without hesitation.

Double Barrel
02-24-2012, 12:01 PM
I like both Schaub and Yates. That being said, I honestly hope that Yates is qualified for the starting job in training camp. Having two potential no. 1 QBs on the roster is never a bad thing considering our 2011 season.

That being said, my expectations are more pragmatic. I think Yates will show improvement, but not quite ready to be The Man in August. But, he will probably start because the reality is that Schaub's injury will not be fully healed until October.

Dutchrudder
02-24-2012, 12:33 PM

And why exactly would Schaub go for that? He would be better off getting cut and signing with the Redskins, who would likely be happy to pick him up for 3-5 mill a year. Or any other number of teams who are willing to take a chance on him. The only ways the Texans get Schaub's cap hit down this year is to offer him an extension that includes changes to the existing year's deal, or to cut him.

HOU-TEX
02-24-2012, 12:54 PM
During Kubiaks presser at the Combine he stated Schaub invited him to play golf and expects him to be a 100% by May and ready for camp. A couple of Tweets by McGobbler, Nick and PK.

John McClain‏@McClain_on_NFL
Kubiak said he expects schaub to be 100 percent in may and ready for camp.

Nick Scurfield‏@NickScurfield
Kubiak said all indications are that @MSchaub8 will be full-speed sometime in May and will be ready for camp #Texans

Paul Kuharsky‏@espn_afcsouth
Kubiak: Schaub asked me to play golf last week. Expect recovery to full speed in May. #Texans

Paul Kuharsky‏@espn_afcsouth
Kubiak: Leinart and Yates will battle for No. 2 job. #texans

GP
02-24-2012, 01:06 PM
LOL. Riiiiggghhhhht.....

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/gpshafer_1976/baghdad-_kubiak.jpg

The pre-draft propaganda begins.

Dutchrudder
02-24-2012, 01:57 PM
During Kubiaks presser at the Combine he stated Schaub invited him to play golf and expects him to be a 100% by May and ready for camp. A couple of Tweets by McGobbler, Nick and PK.

Funny. I saw Schaub at the Galleria a couple weeks ago and he was noticeably limping. Didn't have a boot on, which I assume is a good thing, but it was obvious he wasn't walking normally.

GP
02-24-2012, 10:31 PM
I get it now.

Golf on the Wii. Of course! Duh.

So, technically, Kubiak isn't lying.

b0ng
02-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Bradford, Stafford, Ryan, Rivers, Flacco, Eli, Vick, Newton, Palmer, maybe even Hasselbeck (if he was younger) or Dalton (if he has another good year). Im sure there are more, but bottom line is my opinion is my own, and it is that Schaub is a mid-tier QB.

Because Bradford has been so good, as well as Palmer right? You're obviously reaching to just throw QB names out there either knowing that they are not very good at the moment or not having actually watched them play. The fact that you included Hasselbeck just goes to show how uninformed your opinion really is.

GP
02-25-2012, 12:00 AM
I actually thought Yates played better without AJ than with him. When AJ was on the field, Yates was only throwing it one way, without him, Yates was spreading it around nicely.

And I'm not talking about the games when AJ was just doing some route running practice as a decoy to get fit either.

My theory now, as it was the day we lost the Ravens game, is that sentimental emotionalism guided Kubiak's strategy that day.

That day was about trying to make Andre Johnson THE key factor in success, specifically at the end of the game. People thought Yates was locking onto AJ and being a dope. I personally think Kubiak was routing Yates to #80 and more or less trying to give AJ every chance to win the game and honor the guy who deserved to have "the moment."

Call me crazy, but I think Coach Kubiak sorta' blew that game via drawing up plays that asked Yates to go to #80 even if nothing was there. It happens. We all have a "go to" move that we fall back on when we need clutch plays.

ckhouston
02-25-2012, 08:34 AM
just goes to show how uninformed your opinion really is.

Opinion is just that ... opinion. I stand by mine.

ckhouston
02-25-2012, 08:38 AM
schaub has played his last game in a texans unifom

Agree. The only thing Matt has on Yates is experience. Yates is faster, more mobile, more accurate, and has a stronger arm. Also has played in this system just as long as Matt has, so knows the terminology very well. Give the kid a full camp and pre-season to work with and we will see the best QB performance this team has ever witnessed this upcoming season. Schaub's only true value to us right now is as trade bait, and I feel that is what Gary was setting up at the presser by saying he will be ready by camp. Let the trade talks begin! (Shanny, you listening?).

HJam72
02-25-2012, 08:58 AM
My theory now, as it was the day we lost the Ravens game, is that sentimental emotionalism guided Kubiak's strategy that day.

That day was about trying to make Andre Johnson THE key factor in success, specifically at the end of the game. People thought Yates was locking onto AJ and being a dope. I personally think Kubiak was routing Yates to #80 and more or less trying to give AJ every chance to win the game and honor the guy who deserved to have "the moment."

Call me crazy, but I think Coach Kubiak sorta' blew that game via drawing up plays that asked Yates to go to #80 even if nothing was there. It happens. We all have a "go to" move that we fall back on when we need clutch plays.

I still believe the superstar safety baited the rookie QB, and did it very well.

GP
02-25-2012, 10:23 AM
I still believe the superstar safety baited the rookie QB, and did it very well.

I think it was as patently obvious to them as it was to me. They knew the pass plays were targeting AJ. Easy pickins.

And TJ is super young, he's not going to buck Kubiak at this stage. He'll do whatever he's told and do it with gusto.

Arian Foster has proven he's the new AJ here. Foster was killing the Ravens all day, and should have been the key target in the last possession. Kubiak decided to let AJ be the guy instead, a strategy that backfired.

But hey, the future is bright here. All things considered, 2011 was a great year for Texans fans.

thunderkyss
02-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Agree. The only thing Matt has on Yates is experience. Yates is faster, more mobile, more accurate, and has a stronger arm. Also has played in this system just as long as Matt has, so knows the terminology very well. Give the kid a full camp and pre-season to work with and we will see the best QB performance this team has ever witnessed this upcoming season. Schaub's only true value to us right now is as trade bait, and I feel that is what Gary was setting up at the presser by saying he will be ready by camp. Let the trade talks begin! (Shanny, you listening?).

Kubiak could call Shanahan on the phone... either one & start trade talks if he wanted, Rick Smith could as well & not have to worry about getting pinched for "violating" league rules. So why go through the media?

& Schaub is not the guy teams are hoping they could trade for. "Word" that he is ready to go don't mean anything. They'll want to see him play before they'll trade anything of any serious worth.

The only way Schaub does not start for the Houston Texans in 2012, is if he's not ready for week 1 & Tj is the reason we are in play-off contention when Schaub does get healthy.

Premier
02-26-2012, 01:18 AM
schaub has played his last game in a texans unifom.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/zohjqw.jpg

Kimmy
03-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Isray/Manning press conference tomorrow - he will be released.

thunderkyss
03-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Isray/Manning press conference tomorrow - he will be released.

That's one thing I really don't like about Free Agency & the salary cap. Peyton Manning is a Colt. He should always be a Colt.

Just don't make any sense.

I felt the same way about Montana, but at least the 9ers knew they had a heck of a QB already.

SheTexan
03-06-2012, 06:41 PM
That's one thing I really don't like about Free Agency & the salary cap. Peyton Manning is a Colt. He should always be a Colt.

I felt the same way about Montana, but at least the 9ers knew they had a heck of a QB already.

I agree with ya! A very difficult time for fans also. I truly feel bad for Colts fans who have idolized Peyton for so long. Just don't seem right, unless he retires tomorrow.

I would be heartbroken if I had to see AJ in ANY other teams jersey! I know football is a business, but, DAMN, its hard losing someone you have pulled for so long!

Kimmy
03-06-2012, 06:44 PM
I agree with ya! A very difficult time for fans also. I truly feel bad for Colts fans who have idolized Peyton for so long. Just don't seem right, unless he retires tomorrow.

I would be heartbroken if I had to see AJ in ANY other teams jersey! I know football is a business, but, DAMN, its hard losing someone you have pulled for so long!

No doubt girl! I hope he does retire. I can NOT see Manning going into the HOF with another team, same with AJ :/

I was reading their forum, a lot of them are about to jump

GP
03-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Who knows, he might be chewing ass on a Texans sideline in 2012.

You just never know, especially since he states he is not "all about the up-front money" until he proves himself accordingly.

It would be super awkward to find Manning ON the team that was built to bring him down from day 1 of our existence. I still want him to just go quietly in the night, leave the NFL, and be finished. He crushed us for the better part of 8 years, I can't see us throwing him a bone to try and "help" us.

But I have seen stranger things happen. Anything can happen.

ArlingtonTexan
03-06-2012, 06:47 PM

Happend to greats before the salary cap era. The nature of sports is that all but a few will be released or traded.

Kimmy
03-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Who knows, he might be chewing ass on a Texans sideline in 2012.

You just never know, especially since he states he is not "all about the up-front money" until he proves himself accordingly.

It would be super awkward to find Manning ON the team that was built to bring him down from day 1 of our existence. I still want him to just go quietly in the night, leave the NFL, and be finished. He crushed us for the better part of 8 years, I can't see us throwing him a bone to try and "help" us.

But I have seen stranger things happen. Anything can happen.

I'm not going to lie, I would like to see him in a Texans uniform. I've said it here many times that in between the SpOilers & the Texans, I gravitated towards the Colts. I really do like Peyton. I think he is a class act off the field as well.

But yes, I agree with you, he should retire and not risk any more injury to himself. Retire and go into the HOF as a Colt.

JCTexan
03-06-2012, 06:59 PM

It really has nothing to do with Free Agency. It has 100% to do with the Colts not wanting to pay him twenty-eight million when they're concerned about his neck, and have already decided to pick Luck in the draft.

hellbentforfootball
03-07-2012, 12:52 AM
so many games he outright owned us or we imploded and gave the game to him/them. Me thinks the season tix holders wont be seeing SO many Indy fans at the games especially with #18 on and to be honest, I've being seeing that crap for so long, it'll be nice....really...really nice.

ObsiWan
03-07-2012, 03:23 AM

I recall this same sort of sentiment when Favre first left GB. The interim year when he sorta played for the Jets helped, but a lot of PackerNation HATED it when Brett showed up in Viking purple.

And for the record, I, too, hated to see Joe Montana go to the Chiefs
...or Johnny U. go to the Chargers
...or Emmitt Smith go to the Cards.

stingray
03-07-2012, 03:35 AM
Article on yahoo of where Peyton should go. Key word is should.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ag6PlGfuVwFuQTrATo44zx05nYcB?slug=ms-peyton_manning_colts_ranking_new_teams_030612

1. Houston Texans: I know there was a report a few weeks ago from the Houston Chronicle’s highly reliable John McClain that Manning to the Texans is “not going to happen.” But it should, and I believe the franchise’s powerbrokers (owner Bob McNair, general manager Rick Smith and head coach Gary Kubiak) are smart enough to give the idea strong consideration

Corrosion
03-07-2012, 03:55 AM
Article on yahoo of where Peyton should go. Key word is should.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ag6PlGfuVwFuQTrATo44zx05nYcB?slug=ms-peyton_manning_colts_ranking_new_teams_030612

We dont know at this point if Manning is even healthy .... if he will ever play another down in the NFL.

Knowing the history of the Houston Texans medical staff ....Im not so willing to take that gamble.

ObsiWan
03-07-2012, 03:58 AM
We dont know at this point if Manning is even healthy .... if he will ever play another down in the NFL.

Knowing the history of the Houston Texans medical staff ....Im not so willing to take that gamble.

I feel ya. Let some other team roll those dice.

Wolf6151
03-07-2012, 04:13 AM
I think whoever takes the chance on Manning should write his contract up very carefully with some injury stipulations. Any team risking the position and huge salary for Manning is taking a huge risk and should have the right to include a no play, no pay clause.

ckhouston
03-07-2012, 11:07 AM

We know he is medically cleared to play, he was throwing well at Duke, and doesn't want a guaranteed contract.

No risk involved ... make the call.

Dan B.
03-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Go get Drew Brees and let Peyton sign with the Saints?

b0ng
03-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Go get Drew Brees and let Peyton sign with the Saints?

Exclusive franchise tag. Those teams would have to convince the Saints to trade Brees.

Corrosion
03-07-2012, 01:00 PM
We know he is medically cleared to play, he was throwing well at Duke, and doesn't want a guaranteed contract.

No risk involved ... make the call.

Throwing and throwing like an NFL QB are .... totally different.

Dan B.
03-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Exclusive franchise tag. Those teams would have to convince the Saints to trade Brees.

Prolly be easier if New Orleans knew they were going to get Manning for next year. Peyton also may want to play in his hometown for his dad's old team too. Plus we know Drew is PISSED, and he's from Texas.

Just spitballing more than anything.

b0ng
03-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Prolly be easier if New Orleans knew they were going to get Manning for next year. Peyton also may want to play in his hometown for his dad's old team too. Plus we know Drew is PISSED, and he's from Texas.

Just spitballing more than anything.

I don't know, Brees supposedly turned down a deal north of $23m a year. I mean. . . yeeesh.

Dutchrudder
03-07-2012, 01:44 PM
I don't know, Brees supposedly turned down a deal north of $23m a year. I mean. . . yeeesh.

I think he turned down an 18m a year deal, because he wanted 23m a year. Either way, it should be plenty for any NFL player.

drs23
03-07-2012, 06:08 PM
I think he turned down an 18m a year deal, because he wanted 23m a year. Either way, it should be plenty for any NFL player.

One of the articles I read said it wasn't necessarily the money but the way it was structured. A bunch was incentive based as well as being heavily backloaded. At Brees' age, money he'd more than likely never see.