PDA

View Full Version : Would you take Randy Moss to help out A.J.?

Texanator
02-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Randy Moss has said he wants to come out of retirement and will be looking for a team and a coach to give him a chance.
With his past history of not exactly being a "team" player, would you take a chance with him, if only to help out A.J.?

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/throwback/201202/randy-moss-announces-comeback-attempt

welsh texan
02-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Randy Moss has said he wants to come out of retirement and will be looking for a team and a coach to give him a chance.
With his past history of not exactly being a "team" player, would you take a chance with him, if only to help out A.J.?

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/throwback/201202/randy-moss-announces-comeback-attempt

Its a lovely idea in theory but you just know he's just looking for one last payday and won't be the Randy Moss that was one of the best in the league but the Randy Moss that played...badly...for 3 teams in one season.

Yankee_In_TX
02-13-2012, 12:25 PM
I don't see what he possible adds. With his age and being out for a year, I suspect he would be back up material, and the last thing we need is another #3. IMO.

dalemurphy
02-13-2012, 12:25 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

1. runs poor routes
2. doesn't block

Doesn't fit!

Kaiser Toro
02-13-2012, 12:44 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

1. runs poor routes
2. doesn't block

Doesn't fit!

I do not have a problem bringing him to earn a spot, but my expectations are very low given the above.

Dutchrudder
02-13-2012, 12:57 PM
I do not have a problem bringing him to earn a spot, but my expectations are very low given the above.

I wouldn't even want to do that. He just seems to have a very divisive personality that is just waiting to make issues in the lockerroom. I would pass on him and look at younger guys who are working to earn a spot.

welsh texan
02-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Is this guy in need of the money? I get the impression he's in that category where image is everything and, a bit like TO, probably had no problems spending $Xmillion dollars as and when he earned it without saving any for when his playing days were over.

I don't really understand why he'd even want to come back, he had a good career that ended a bit abruptly.

IDEXAN
02-13-2012, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't even want to do that. He just seems to have a very divisive personality that is just waiting to make issues in the lockerroom. I would pass on him and look at younger guys who are working to earn a spot.
That's also my attitude about Moss, who's a very surly dude with a terrible attitude. I saw a game or 2 when he played with the Titans and he was pathetic. The worst kinda combo: a diva who's talent has left him ago.

srrono
02-13-2012, 01:12 PM
nope = cancer

Playoffs
02-13-2012, 01:17 PM
No. He's done.

tielahr
02-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Hell, call me crazy but I would take him if he was wanting the vet minimum salary. If it didn't cause cap issues and we still draft/sign another talented WR, what is the downside? Lacks effort? Bench him. Locker room trouble? Trade him for a comp. 7th rd pick (like Derrick Mason's deal).

The upside? Wants to put a good performance for what would probably be his last year(s). The Texans WR core would be amazing and the O would be ranked top 5.

I think if he wants the bare minimum $ wise, you without a doubt bring him in for a workout.

MistaRed
02-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Why not? Low risk high reward ....

tielahr
02-13-2012, 01:31 PM

^ thank you

Hervoyel
02-13-2012, 01:37 PM
There is a point in time where taking a chance on Randy Moss is a viable option. We are nowhere near that point. Seriously, the Texans have so many better options that the "shot in the dark" that signing Moss would be that this will probably never even be talked about when the Texans brain trust meets. Not unless Moss is picketing outside with a sign or something.

Too many better options.

tielahr
02-13-2012, 01:48 PM
There is a point in time where taking a chance on Randy Moss is a viable option. We are nowhere near that point. Seriously, the Texans have so many better options that the "shot in the dark" that signing Moss would be that this will probably never even be talked about when the Texans brain trust meets. Not unless Moss is picketing outside with a sign or something.

Too many better options.

I agree with that to the extent of I wouldn't take Moss if he was our only WR acquisition this offseason. But if we draft/sign a promising WR I think taking Moss wouldn't be so bad. If it all fits in the cap ofcourse.

steelbtexan
02-13-2012, 02:07 PM
If I could get the Minny 1st time/Pats Randy Moss the answer is yes.

Unfortunately those days are long gone. So no I wouldn't bring him in.

Cancer? Played in 2 nfc confrence championships and 1 SB. I will take those kinds of cancers on my team.

rush2112mn
02-13-2012, 02:11 PM
I think the guy is done.....finished.....

Fili
02-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Too old. We don't need another Derrick Mason.

DexmanC
02-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Too old. We don't need another Derrick Mason.

I don't think Moss is in the Mason/Moulds category. We've never heard
much about him being a lockerroom cancer. When motivated, he gave
Tom Brady the greatest regular season a quarterback has ever had.

The Texans are a team on the edge of a Superbowl, and playing next
to AJ, would make Matt Schaub look pretty good.

Work him out, bring him in.

Bulls on Parade
02-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Randy Moss played for a 16-0 team and 15-1 team -- two of the greatest teams in NFL History. And he still didn't win a Super Bowl. How unlucky can a great future Hall of Famer be? Chris Carter has to be patting him on his back as they go ice fishing together. And to answer your question: No, I don't want the Texans to sign him at this point. If he were a few years younger then I would probably say yes.

Mike Kerns
02-13-2012, 04:47 PM
http://gifs.gifbin.com/1238584287_seinfeld_had_enough.gif

Cerberus
02-13-2012, 05:54 PM

Well . . . how about "I play when I want to"?

TEXANRED
02-13-2012, 06:15 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

1. runs poor routes
2. doesn't block

Doesn't fit!

He had one bad year and is entire career is a joke? You don't get 15K receiving yards 15.6 yards per catch and 153 TD's by running bad routes.

Moss is a drastic upgrade over everyone in our receiving core except for AJ.

Now you have Moss and you draft a rookie in the 1st. AJ/Moss/1st round rookie? Hell yeah!

TEXANS84
02-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Honestly, yes...but I worry about his cross route skills and his sometimes temper tantrums.

One guy I'd love to have is Heinz Ward, sure handed and one hell of a blocker.

PapaL
02-13-2012, 11:06 PM
No. He's 35. Coming off of an entire year away from football. He's not faster now. He's just trying to get a paycheck.

Carr Bombed
02-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Honestly, yes...but I worry about his cross route skills and his sometimes temper tantrums.

Hines Ward can't move anymore. He runs like he's wearing concrete shoes. It's the reason why when he offered to restructure his contract the Steelers still said "thanks, but no thanks". He REALLY fell off last season (8.3 ypc)

Kevin Walter is a non athletic, sure handed guy, who can block his rear off... So Ward wouldn't bring anything that we don't already have. At least Walter brings size to the table, so he has that going for him.

Carr Bombed
02-13-2012, 11:23 PM
He had one bad year and is entire career is a joke? You don't get 15K receiving yards 15.6 yards per catch and 153 TD's by running bad routes.

Moss is a drastic upgrade over everyone in our receiving core except for AJ.

Now you have Moss and you draft a rookie in the 1st. AJ/Moss/1st round rookie? Hell yeah!

Moss has never been known for his route running skills, so that's a legitimate criticism of his game. It's a well known criticism also. Maybe a better description of his route running would be to say he runs lazy routes.. and he does. He also doesn't even try to participate in the running game and offers up negative effort while run blocking, so the previous poster was correct. He doesn't fit the system here. If you don't run block, you don't get on the field in Kubiak's offense.

In his prime, the guy was the best deep threat option in the history of the league though. Reason for all of the yards, high ypc stats, and TDs.

texanhead08
02-13-2012, 11:42 PM
nope = cancer

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

drs23
02-13-2012, 11:52 PM

I've thought that as well but as much as he's wanting/trying to hang in Pittsburgh do you think he'd sign with another team, or just retire?

SAMURAITEXAN
02-14-2012, 12:37 AM
No. He's 35. Coming off of an entire year away from football. He's not faster now. He's just trying to get a paycheck.

Hey! Don't say about age! I am over 50 and I can still able to walk.:foottap:

ObsiWan
02-14-2012, 01:52 AM
I'd bring him in and work him out. Just like we brought in that parade of QBs when Schaub and Leinart went down. If he doesn't pass muster, what have you lost? If he's got an, "I'm gonna show everyone I'm not finished yet" attitude AND he signs a vet minimum plus incentives contract... why not?

Now that doesn't stop me from drafting an heir to A.J. in the first 2-3 rounds because Moss would only be viable for a couple of years at most and A.J. maybe 3-5 more great-to-good seasons in him.

As far as that "cancer" thing, Tom Brady vouched for him ...even after he got cut from the Pats, Brady went on record saying he'd love to have him back. If he's good enough for Tom B....

TheMatrix31
02-14-2012, 02:24 AM
Not only a no, but a **** no.

Norg
02-14-2012, 03:49 AM
i'd rather have TO no matter what anyone says he gives 100 and 10 % every game

U can deny the numbers he put up in cincy were pretty good

FR0497
02-14-2012, 09:35 AM
I would take a look at him. I'm sure most people thought Plaxico was done too.

Hardcore Texan
02-14-2012, 09:40 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

1. runs poor routes
2. doesn't block

Doesn't fit!

And he quits on plays. Walks off the field before the game is over, is a locker room cancer.

Just because he's an all world talent doesn't excuse the fact he's a jackass. A jackass who's getting older and slower by the minute.

Texanator
02-14-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm still torn on this one. He would make a great addition in that he has the potential to take a lot of the double teams off A.J. He does still have some talent, and if the price was right we'd have back up,(GOD FORBID), something happen again this year like happened last year to Dre.

My biggest concern is a quote of his that I can't get out of my mind from several years ago when he was with, I believe, the Vikings in which he said...."I play hard when I want to play hard."

That has stuck with me for several years as being a self centered little debutante like the players on that team from southern Oklahoma.

El Tejano
02-14-2012, 11:27 AM
So he runs bad routes...so does Jacoby.
Let's talk about what he can do though....he can catch (the coolest one handed grab in the back of the endzone coming off about an 80 yard bomb from Tom Brady)......Jacoby can't do that.

He's still a redzone threat....we didn't do to well in the Red Zone this year.

Hardcore Texan
02-14-2012, 11:34 AM
So he runs bad routes...so does Jacoby.
Let's talk about what he can do though....he can catch (the coolest one handed grab in the back of the endzone coming off about an 80 yard bomb from Tom Brady)......Jacoby can't do that.

He's still a redzone threat....we didn't do to well in the Red Zone this year.

Okay sure. He quits on plays. He can act like a spoiled brat. Why would you want someone out there who you can trust to give a 100% effort.

False Start
02-14-2012, 11:36 AM
No.

El Tejano
02-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Okay sure. He quits on plays. He can act like a spoiled brat. Why would you want someone out there who you can trust to give a 100% effort.

Do you know why he was released in New England? I'm seriously asking. I don't know if it was because of his potential contract in the upcoming season or not.

Vinny
02-14-2012, 01:35 PM
he can't run away from guys like he used to....besides, he ain't a Rick Smith kinda guy.

Thorn
02-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Re: Would you take Randy Moss to help out A.J.?

Dudes, with Peyton Manning as our new QB and Moss and AJ we are automaticly in the Super Bowl!!!111!!! :lol:

El Tejano
02-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Dudes, with Peyton Manning as our new QB and Moss and AJ we are automaticly in the Super Bowl!!!111!!! :lol:

On just name alone with NFL and ESPN.

Norg
02-14-2012, 05:06 PM
if we get manning and Moss someone would say we are the new dream team and we will miss the playoffs ..... :spin:

Cerberus
02-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Do you really want Randy on the Texans?

As a Raider fan let me present this to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J7ipVezSEk

All the talent in the world, just no heart.

Goldensilence
02-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Do you really want Randy on the Texans?

As a Raider fan let me present this to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J7ipVezSEk

All the talent in the world, just no heart.

In his defense after he left the dismal situation in Oakland he had a couple of very good seasons in NE.

IMO I think Randy had been so used to everyone looking past some of his diva act because he has been the best deep threat the NFL has ever seen until he got dropped last year.

I think it's very possible you could see the Randy Moss that had a chip on his shoulder in Minn.

I think its possible given the right situation next year he could have a good season. I'd give him a one year contract here.

Cerberus
02-14-2012, 11:24 PM
In his defense after he left the dismal situation in Oakland he had a couple of very good seasons in NE.

IMO I think Randy had been so used to everyone looking past some of his diva act because he has been the best deep threat the NFL has ever seen until he got dropped last year.

I think it's very possible you could see the Randy Moss that had a chip on his shoulder in Minn.

I think its possible given the right situation next year he could have a good season. I'd give him a one year contract here.

But he created the dismal situation in Oakland for himself by half-assing it. You see, when times are good Randy is fine, but when something doesn't go his way he pouts and puts forth no effort. I know I wouldn't want him on my team.

gg no re
02-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Chris Carter has to be patting him on his back as they go ice fishing together.

Well, about thaaaaaaat....

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_162-57377746-10391697/randy-moss-rips-ex-teammate-after-quit-comment/

PHAROAH
02-15-2012, 12:16 AM
I think Randy has plenty left in the tank and he would be an upgrade over Kevin Walter & Jacoby Jones. I would still draft a wr in round 1 but Randy Moss is a game changer supreme and he is exactly what we need opposite Andre Johnson in terms of on the field production. Now some of the site brethren don't like anyone that is brash or speak there mind but lets face it we have wasted money on good boys like Jacoby & Kevin Walter it's time to bring someone in so we can win games and get to the super bowl it's time to stop being so conservative and lets win it all.

Norg
02-15-2012, 01:44 AM
randy moss isnt fast anymore u think hes going to out run these CB these days PLZZZ and hes deff not physical teams will prob not even waste the #2cb on him they would prob just have a linebacker or SS Murder him on the line or chip him all u need to do is chip him for like 1.2 seconds

Texn4life
02-15-2012, 02:08 AM
randy moss isnt fast anymore u think hes going to out run these CB these days PLZZZ and hes deff not physical teams will prob not even waste the #2cb on him they would prob just have a linebacker or SS Murder him on the line or chip him all u need to do is chip him for like 1.2 seconds

I wouldn't say Moss isn't fast anymore. His last year after he was traded to Minnesota he sprinted past Antonio Cromartie for a bomb from Favre on MNF. Cromartie may not be the best cover guy but receivers don't just run by him like that hardly ever. Moss may not possess the 4.3 speed he once had, but I'd bet you he's still in the 4.4 range which is better than most receivers in the league.

Now after saying all that I wouldn't want him on this team. It's just not worth it for a guy who will shut it down when he feels like it during games. I think the whole contract situation in New England messed up his head, and I don't think he gave even 75% effort to the 3 teams he played for that year. A motivated Moss can still be a player I think, but who's to say he'll stay motivated. We'd be crazy to take that chance.

leebigeztx
02-15-2012, 03:11 AM
I must admit, its kinda comical at times on this board with the recent track success of the texans. The texans took on a guy who was known to be disruptive in the lockerroom in mason. Now all of a sudden a guy who would be the best red zone wr on the team is a no no. When johnson misses his standard 3 games, what happens to the offense against a decent defense? Go watch baltimore and raiders game. How many times did we see guys not getting any kind of seperation and the offense sputters? How many games against the jets or a top flight corner when they take andre away and none of the wr can get loose? Add moss, and most,if not all those problems go away. Why? He damands extra attention even with johnson on the field. When they get to the 40yd line and he runs a go route, he's coming down with the ball. Better yet, the last season he played after his 2 trades, how many tds did he have? Or maybe the texans would rather see him go to ravens and work it with them. When your qb isn't a playmaker,you need as many playmakers around him. Schaub isn't a playmaker.

Texan_Bill
02-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Why not take Lance Alworth or Steve Largent? They're about the same age as Moss, no?

PHAROAH
02-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Some of the site brethren are too conservative to want an outspoken black player on this ball club. Anytime a great player but outspoken is brought up for discussion to bring in I notice that certain members say no every time no matter how much a player could really help the Texans. Randy Moss could help us big time and i'm not playing the race card or anything like that but come on guys we all know Randy would be a serious upgrade at 35 over Kevin Walter or Jacoby Jones at this point. I would still draft another WR in round #1 even if we did bring in Moss because we need more than 1 WR to help this team.

Texan_Bill
02-15-2012, 10:23 AM
I could give a rats ass about him being outspoken, I give a rats ass that he couldn't get on the field as a Tinnbred and didn't play a down in 2011.

PHAROAH
02-15-2012, 10:37 AM
I could give a rats ass about him being outspoken, I give a rats ass that he couldn't get on the field as a Tinnbred and didn't play a down in 2011.We all know Randy wasn't himself in Minnesota & Tennessee the proof is when he was in Oakland he acted the same way and as soon as he got to New England he exploded for the greatest season by a WR in the history of the NFL. I know and we all know he is better than Kevin Walter & Jacoby Jones and would make a great compliment with Andre Johnson and whatever other WR that we draft so I don't see your point Texan_Bill and all the anger in your rant is not even necessary if you are not one of the people I was talking about and you don't do what I stated why so hostile with your comment we are all fans and want what is best for the Texans.

:toropalm:

GP
02-15-2012, 11:04 AM
No.

BigBull17
02-15-2012, 11:33 AM

Except he is a player who completly doesn't fit into this system.

1. To say he is a bad blocker is like saying the sun is warm.

2. He runs a fly and a post. Thats it.

3. Complete cancer.

The next block he throws will be his first. In our system, they are never going to play a wide receiver who isn't a willing blocker. Like it or hate it, thats a simple fact. If you bring him in with our cap situation, you are banking on him being the fix. If he isn't, there is plenty of risk. Another year of poor WR play after Dre. Stop gaps aren't going to turn this team around, so fix the problem. We do not need to take a gamble on a selfish, lazy player who may or may not have their head in the game.

El Tejano
02-15-2012, 12:03 PM
I must admit, its kinda comical at times on this board with the recent track success of the texans. The texans took on a guy who was known to be disruptive in the lockerroom in mason. Now all of a sudden a guy who would be the best red zone wr on the team is a no no. When johnson misses his standard 3 games, what happens to the offense against a decent defense? Go watch baltimore and raiders game. How many times did we see guys not getting any kind of seperation and the offense sputters? How many games against the jets or a top flight corner when they take andre away and none of the wr can get loose? Add moss, and most,if not all those problems go away. Why? He damands extra attention even with johnson on the field. When they get to the 40yd line and he runs a go route, he's coming down with the ball. Better yet, the last season he played after his 2 trades, how many tds did he have? Or maybe the texans would rather see him go to ravens and work it with them. When your qb isn't a playmaker,you need as many playmakers around him. Schaub isn't a playmaker.

I agree with this. Let's add to the fact that his stints in Minnesota and Tennessee were with QBs named Joe Webb, and whoever that guy was with Tenn along with an aging and aching Brett Favre. I'm sorry but he's going to have much better surroundings over here.

Now, if we can get a guy like Reggie Wayne instead, I'm all for it. But our CURRENT cap numbers don't indicate that to be within reach.

Hardcore Texan
02-15-2012, 12:14 PM

If you are talking about me, you couldn't be further from the truth, not sure who you are referring to, but you might as well come out and say it instead of hinting around at it.

My answer is team chemistry, and team effort is BIGGER than any one player.....period. For 1 guy to have a big play, the other 10 guys have to do their job.

I could give a rats ass about him being outspoken, I give a rats ass that he couldn't get on the field as a Tinnbred and didn't play a down in 2011.

Exactamundo!

Some of the site brethren are too conservative to want an outspoken black player on this ball club. Anytime a great player but outspoken is brought up for discussion to bring in I notice that certain members say no every time no matter how much a player could really help the Texans. Randy Moss could help us big time and i'm not playing the race card or anything like that but come on guys we all know Randy would be a serious upgrade at 35 over Kevin Walter or Jacoby Jones at this point. I would still draft another WR in round #1 even if we did bring in Moss because we need more than 1 WR to help this team.

You and the people that want to see this happen are making a BIG assumption that he still has anything in the tank. How about we establish that first. If you can establish that, then I could see letting him come in and compete, not be handed anything, compete and earn a spot.

Personally, I think he's lost a step or two. It needs to be proven his skills haven't detoriated. See Bill's comment above.

PHAROAH
02-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Except he is a player who completly doesn't fit into this system.

1. To say he is a bad blocker is like saying the sun is warm.

2. He runs a fly and a post. Thats it.

3. Complete cancer.

The next block he throws will be his first. In our system, they are never going to play a wide receiver who isn't a willing blocker. Like it or hate it, thats a simple fact. If you bring him in with our cap situation, you are banking on him being the fix. If he isn't, there is plenty of risk. Another year of poor WR play after Dre. Stop gaps aren't going to turn this team around, so fix the problem. We do not need to take a gamble on a selfish, lazy player who may or may not have their head in the game.Randy Moss has never been accused as a lazy player his issues in New England stemmed from his contract issues his first stint in Minnesota was Excellent. The raiders experiment & 2nd go around in minnesota that made no since and Titans debacle he had no QB's at all and Favre was a has been at that point. I understand the arguments where he seemed to quit I have no excuse for that but to say he isn't a hard worker that isn't the case.

PHAROAH
02-15-2012, 12:33 PM
If you are talking about me, you couldn't be further from the truth, not sure who you are referring to, but you might as well come out and say it instead of hinting around at it.

My answer is team chemistry, and team effort is BIGGER than any one player.....period. For 1 guy to have a big play, the other 10 guys have to do their job.

Exactamundo!

You and the people that want to see this happen are making a BIG assumption that he still has anything in the tank. How about we establish that first. If you can establish that, then I could see letting him come in and compete, not be handed anything, compete and earn a spot.

Personally, I think he's lost a step or two. It needs to be proven his skills haven't detoriated. See Bill's comment above.First off i never said to hand him the job and I stated that we still should draft a wr with our #1 pick so please be on point. My argument was that he is better than Kevin Walter & Jacoby Jones even at this point of his career and I agree with you he would have to impress the brass with a workout before they would sign him or any other F/A WR.

dalemurphy
02-15-2012, 12:35 PM
We all know Randy wasn't himself in Minnesota & Tennessee the proof is when he was in Oakland he acted the same way and as soon as he got to New England he exploded for the greatest season by a WR in the history of the NFL. I know and we all know he is better than Kevin Walter & Jacoby Jones and would make a great compliment with Andre Johnson and whatever other WR that we draft so I don't see your point Texan_Bill and all the anger in your rant is not even necessary if you are not one of the people I was talking about and you don't do what I stated why so hostile with your comment we are all fans and want what is best for the Texans.

:toropalm:

Because it was an absurd, obnoxious statement. Charging racism because people value work ethic and modesty does a disservice to just about every person on the planet. You confuse and cloud the issues with that crap. Regardless of Randy Moss' skin color and regardless if his behavior on the field can be linked to his cultural heritage (as you suggest... you, nobody else), Moss' unwillingness to run good routes and unwillingness to block make him a career non-Texan.

BigBull17
02-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Randy Moss has never been accused as a lazy player his issues in New England stemmed from his contract issues his first stint in Minnesota was Excellent. The raiders experiment & 2nd go around in minnesota that made no since and Titans debacle he had no QB's at all and Favre was a has been at that point. I understand the arguments where he seemed to quit I have no excuse for that but to say he isn't a hard worker that isn't the case.

Never been lazy? What do you call ****ty route running? Zero effort on run plays? taking yourself out of the game? Jogging or walking when the play doesn't involve you? Thats being lazy.

Dread-Head
02-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Moss is one of the best to ever play the game, but he's also a selfish primadonna who put's Randy Moss ahead of ANY team for which he plays. When he was with the Pats he was ready to knock Brady's block off (not that I blame him). When he was in Oakland he would blow off routes and in some cases just not do his job. He'll get into the Hall of Fame but picking him up is a waste at this point.

dalemurphy
02-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Randy Moss has never been accused as a lazy player his issues in New England stemmed from his contract issues his first stint in Minnesota was Excellent. The raiders experiment & 2nd go around in minnesota that made no since and Titans debacle he had no QB's at all and Favre was a has been at that point. I understand the arguments where he seemed to quit I have no excuse for that but to say he isn't a hard worker that isn't the case.

For 10 years, players, fans, and coaches associated with Randy Moss have struggled with his moodiness on the field. He doesn't block in the run game. He doesn't run concise routes. He doesn't run routes full speed if he doesn't expect the ball. He demands the ball from the quarterback. These were all issues in his first stint in Minnesota and the reason why they traded him away.

Hardcore Texan
02-15-2012, 01:22 PM
First off i never said to hand him the job and I stated that we still should draft a wr with our #1 pick so please be on point. My argument was that he is better than Kevin Walter & Jacoby Jones even at this point of his career and I agree with you he would have to impress the brass with a workout before they would sign him or any other F/A WR.

I didn't mean to imply you said hand him the job. That's not what I said or what I intended to mean. The point I was driving at is he is a Diva, I don't think he would be willing to earn the spot. I think he feels he's deserving of being a starter without proving it. Couple that with his age and lack of playing time for over a year and I am inclined to pass. Along with others are saying about his unwillingness to run block, and like I have been saying he quits on plays. He quits on his team, he walks off the field while the game is not over. I am a team first guy.

PHAROAH
02-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Because it was an absurd, obnoxious statement. Charging racism because people value work ethic and modesty does a disservice to just about every person on the planet. You confuse and cloud the issues with that crap. Regardless of Randy Moss' skin color and regardless if his behavior on the field can be linked to his cultural heritage (as you suggest... you, nobody else), Moss' unwillingness to run good routes and unwillingness to block make him a career non-Texan.Dalemurhphy what the hell are you talking about I never accused anyone on this site of being a racist!!! I don't feel that the comment that I made is absurd either I have not confused anything on any topic I am stating the obvious. We talked about T.O. possibly being a good fit after he worked out most fans shot it down on this site of bringing him in. Now here it is we are talking about another so-called out spoken wr in Randy Moss who probably could help our team and all we here is no,no,no with no good sound comments.

The point that I am making is this none of the players in the NFL have ever stated that Randy Moss was a cancer in the locker room for either of the teams that he has played on and Tom Brady came out in the media and stated that he wouldn't mind having Randy back on the team. The issue that I do have is that most of the players that are outspoken that we have talked about the Texans possibly signing as F/A are black and they happen to be very good players but I have seen nothing but negatives when they are discussed.

So what blacks who speak there minds don't value modesty and hard working values? Man you need to watch your statements and READ what people say so you can understand what the hell people are saying, what since when has it become a crime in the country to talk about RACE!!!! I have fought and earned the right to speak my mind and make decent comments as I please have you? Shut the hell up and keep it moving Dalemurphy I never called anyone a racist!!!!

Hardcore Texan
02-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Dalemurhphy what the hell are you talking about I never accused anyone on this site of being a racist!!! I don't feel that the comment that I made is absurd either I have not confused anything on any topic I am stating the obvious. We talked about T.O. possibly being a good fit after he worked out most fans shot it down on this site of bringing him in. Now here it is we are talking about another so-called out spoken wr in Randy Moss who probably could help our team and all we here is no,no,no with no good sound comments.

The point that I am making is this none of the players in the NFL have ever stated that Randy Moss was a cancer in the locker room for either of the teams that he has played on and Tom Brady came out in the media and stated that he wouldn't mind having Randy back on the team. The issue that I do have is that most of the players that are outspoken that we have talked about the Texans possibly signing as F/A are black and they happen to be very good players but I have seen nothing but negatives when they are discussed.

So what blacks who speak there minds don't value modesty and hard working values? Man you need to watch your statements and READ what people say so you can understand what the hell people are saying, what since when has it become a crime in the country to talk about RACE!!!! I have fought and earned the right to speak my mind and make decent comments as I please have you? Shut the hell up and keep it moving Dalemurphy I never called anyone a racist!!!!

What percentage of NFL players are black? What percentage of WR's are black?

That may have something to do with it, no?

By the way, I am not talking or jumping in you and Dalemurphy's responses. I am addressing the bolded comments. I see alot of posters being consistent. That's my perception about the negatives, the are founded in reality IMHO. The Texans don't have a lot of players that are Divas, period. I can't think of one really. That's not what this organization is about. We have a lot of high character guys.

I can start naming white players I don't like if it will help balance some of this out. I just don't think most here are knocking anyone over their color but by their behavior and actions. Did you see Dread Head's post? He was spot on.

Bottom line is Randy Moss quits on plays, and quits when things don't go his way. That's why I wouldn't want him on the team. But hey like I said, get in line an earn spot if the FO goes out and signs him.

To me the NFL is a performance based results oriented business and race is not a factor. You are certainly entitled to feel the way you feel and have an issue with the part I bolded. I just disagree is all.

dalemurphy
02-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Dalemurhphy what the hell are you talking about I never accused anyone on this site of being a racist!!! I don't feel that the comment that I made is absurd either I have not confused anything on any topic I am stating the obvious. We talked about T.O. possibly being a good fit after he worked out most fans shot it down on this site of bringing him in. Now here it is we are talking about another so-called out spoken wr in Randy Moss who probably could help our team and all we here is no,no,no with no good sound comments.

Your words: Some of the site brethren are too conservative to want an outspoken black player on this ball club.

I didn't see anyone arguing that Randy Moss shouldn't be on the Texans because he is an "outspoken black player". Yet, there are your words, arguing that the "real reason" some of us don't like him is because he is "an outspoken black player".

There's no crime you are being accused of. I find it sad that some people immediately assume racism is involved when people are in disagreement with them.

Ironic, also, that you whine about having the right to speak your mind and then in the same paragraph you tell me to "shut the hell up". If hatred begets racism, perhaps you should look in the mirror.

I think you are way off base thinking that guys like Randy Moss and T.O. are "very good players", and I certainly don't see how they would help our team. That's not racism, it's football I.Q.

PHAROAH
02-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Your words: Some of the site brethren are too conservative to want an outspoken black player on this ball club.

I didn't see anyone arguing that Randy Moss shouldn't be on the Texans because he is an "outspoken black player". Yet, there are your words, arguing that the "real reason" some of us don't like him is because he is "an outspoken black player".

There's no crime you are being accused of. I find it sad that some people immediately assume racism is involved when people are in disagreement with them.

Ironic, also, that you whine about having the right to speak your mind and then in the same paragraph you tell me to "shut the hell up". If hatred begets racism, perhaps you should look in the mirror.

I think you are way off base thinking that guys like Randy Moss and T.O. are "very good players", and I certainly don't see how they would help our team. That's not racism, it's football I.Q.I never claimed racism I never typed it your just pissed because I called out some of the conservative mindsets on the site and they are great players look at their stats there is no questioning that!!! Dalemurphy you can try to create an argument and yes I said what I said some on here are too conservative to even consider out-spoken players (BLACK) even though they are great players who could have helped in the playoffs because Kevin Walter & Jacoby Jones were dropping passes left and right. Now If you want to say that you and other conservative fans are racist I never said that but I did say you guys won't consider outspoken black players like T.O., Randy Moss & Chad Johnson (Ocho Cinco) that isnt saying people a racist!!!! Get your **** straight homie!!!! I am not afraid to speak my mind at all and I am not afraid to touch things that are real issues look stop being sensitive the Texans do not like edgy players who speak there mind and in the NFL most of those players are WR's and the majority are black so just be real dude to say that Randy Moss couldn't help the Texans is absurd you know it too come on man be real!!!!

PHAROAH
02-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Now to those think he is a cancer here is one of his ex-team members speaking about him and Randy himself stated that he could run between a 4.35 - 4.38. Now if that is true why not take a look and darryl green ran in the 4.3 range at 40 years of age so it isn't out of the question if he can do it if he is in great shape. Again we still would need to draft another receiver in round 1 to compete with Randy just in-case that's all i'm saying so yes i would give him a workout.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d826ed651/article/more-likely-to-play-in-the-nfl-again-moss-or-owens?module=HP11_content_stream&module=HP11_headline_stack

dalemurphy
02-15-2012, 04:21 PM
I never claimed racism I never typed it your just pissed because I called out some of the conservative mindsets on the site and they are great players look at their stats there is no questioning that!!! Dalemurphy you can try to create an argument and yes I said what I said some on here are too conservative to even consider out-spoken players (BLACK) even though they are great players who could have helped in the playoffs because Kevin Walter & Jacoby Jones were dropping passes left and right. Now If you want to say that you and other conservative fans are racist I never said that but I did say you guys won't consider outspoken black players like T.O., Randy Moss & Chad Johnson (Ocho Cinco) that isnt saying people a racist!!!! Get your **** straight homie!!!! I am not afraid to speak my mind at all and I am not afraid to touch things that are real issues look stop being sensitive the Texans do not like edgy players who speak there mind and in the NFL most of those players are WR's and the majority are black so just be real dude to say that Randy Moss couldn't help the Texans is absurd you know it too come on man be real!!!!

To say people dismiss a person because they are "conservative" and he is black and outspoken is claiming that they are racist. I don't care if you use the word or not. That description implies it.

You don't understand the Texans' philosophy or their offense if you can't even comprehend a football argument disputing Randy Moss' value to them. Since he refuses to block and runs poor routes, he would be detrimental to the Texans. That is especially so given that the Texans could use those resources on receivers that would be a much better fit in their system than a prima donna who is years past his prime.

By the way, Kevin Walter has much better hands than Randy Moss... well, better concentration anyway, which leads to fewer drops. I have been arguing on these boards that Robert Meachem would be an ideal addition to the Texans... not because he isn't outspoken but because he can stretch the defense, is young, and is a very willing blocker. Randy Moss and T.O. don't understand the team concept nor can they handle being in a supportive role. There is a reason why the Patriots cut Moss in the middle of the season in 2010 despite having little else at the WR position. If there wasn't a long list of quality free agent wide receivers and a draft in front of us, then I could see Moss being a consideration. But, why consider Moss when there are 20 better options?

Your last rant is another example of avoiding the football issues and trying to win an argument by yelling the loudest. I don't dispute that you "aren't afraid to speak your mind". I just disagree with most of what you are "speaking".

Texan_Bill
02-15-2012, 05:10 PM
quoted deleted post

No need for the insults directed at other posters.

dalemurphy
02-15-2012, 05:22 PM
quoted deleted post

You say you went to college? Did you sleep through grammar class? Or, did you decide that punctuation was a right wing conspiracy to oppress black defensive backs?

I have played football. I coach football. However, I've met plenty of football player and football coaches to know that participation in the sport doesn't guarantee any real understanding. For example, Randy Moss has been playing team sports for 30 years and he still doesn't understand what it means to be a good teammate. He's played in west coast offenses in the NFL yet does not seem to understand the importance of running precise routes nor the importance of blocking on run plays.

As I said earlier, there are other free agents that supply the kind of speed that a 35 year old Randy Moss has. Robert Meachem is the primary example I offered. I agree that the Texans need a playmaking threat in the passing game to go with Andre Johnson, I totally disagree that Randy Moss should be that guy. Why fixate on Moss? Have you seen the free agent wide receivers available this year? It is a deep pool of talent.

You don't have to say the word "racism" to accuse someone of it. Saying that members of this board have a prejudice against Randy Moss because he is black is accusing them of racism. How is that not clear to you?

PHAROAH
02-15-2012, 05:32 PM
No need for the insults directed at other posters.Now he came at me sideways making remarks about my intelligence and stating that I called other members racist but you tell me about insults ok. If you want disable my membership please do so I will find another Texans site to post on thanks.

Hardcore Texan
02-15-2012, 07:08 PM
The only race I care about is Deep Steel Blue baby.....:worldpeace:

gg no re
02-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Are we not going to discuss Cris Carter throwing Randy Moss under the bus?

Texecutioner
02-15-2012, 07:38 PM
I don't think Moss is in the Mason/Moulds category. We've never heard
much about him being a lockerroom cancer. When motivated, he gave
Tom Brady the greatest regular season a quarterback has ever had.

Moss "gave" Brady the best season he ever had?? Good lord you say some wild stuff man. In case you missed it, the Pats dropped Moss when he became to much of an ass and Brady's stats improved that season and he threw for 36 TD's and 4 INT's. Brady was already a HOFer when Moss got there, and oh yeah that Welker guy had some to do with that as well. Moss helped that offense out a ton no question, but to say he gave Brady anything is simply laughable. Brady has continued on to go to another SB and break Marino's record. Moss had to retire because no one hardly wanted him anymore and didn't want to pay him any decent money.

The Texans are a team on the edge of a Superbowl, and playing next
to AJ, would make Matt Schaub look pretty good.

Moss is old now. He's soft as hell and after missing a full season at his age, he won't be that great of an option.

Texan_Bill
02-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Moss is old now. He's soft as hell and after missing a full season at his age, he won't be that great of an option.

Are you saying that Moss played the season before this past one? NE, Minnesota and Tennessee would disagree. ;)

Texecutioner
02-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Are you saying that Moss played the season before this past one? NE, Minnesota and Tennessee would disagree. ;)

Lol!!

I think that he'd come back really motivated, but at his age I don't think it matters after being gone last year and the year before as you put it. It's to hard to just come back like that at that age. The problem with Moss is that quitter's mentality that he has. He is not a gamer that pushes through obstacles when the going gets tough like AJ, Hines Ward, or even a guy like TO. Moss dominates when things are easy for him and when he is just way better than the guys trying to guard him. He won't have that athletic superiority anymore, and when he is forced to work with grit, toughness, and heart, he'll fold and quit every time.

We're a playoff contender now, and we need guys that we know will give everything they got in the post season.

PapaL
02-15-2012, 08:19 PM

Wait wait wait...Mason was never disruptive in TEN or BAL. He calls Sanchez out and now he's disruptive? Come on. He called a spade a spade when he said Sanchez was a :kitten: .

leebigeztx
02-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Well, when dalemurphy says kevin walter has better hands than moss, I guess its time to check out this thread. Its obvious dalemurphy know 0 about football.

edo783
02-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Randy = yes, but on a very short leash and with a low base salary loaded with incentives.

dalemurphy
02-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Well, when dalemurphy says kevin walter has better hands than moss, I guess its time to check out this thread. Its obvious dalemurphy know 0 about football.

Go compare their dropped pass %. Kevin Walter is one of the most sure-handed wide receivers in the NFL. Moss could do amazing things. However, he was not consistent throughout his career.

Kevin Walter, for years, is among the league leaders is fewest drops and among the leaders in % caught per target.

tielahr
02-16-2012, 12:46 PM
completely ignoring all the ridiculous racism talk...

Randy Moss would be a benefit to this team. Period. He is trying to prove to the rest of the NFL that he has something left in the tank and I believe personally he was embarassed with himself last season. This time around it is all about one thing, RESPECT.

Now with the Texans having a top 5 Defense. Top 5 running game. Another beast WR to take away double coverage from Randy. Why wouldn't he thrive in this system? He is everything we were hoping Jacoby to be. He is definitely a tool that this system needs to be considered elite.

rarazz00
02-16-2012, 02:19 PM
I would say Randy is missing a few things(feel free to add in here_____)to want to come out of retirement. 1) maybe financially his pockets could be a bit thin from bad investments/lifestyle..2) I think he misses the roar of the crowd as he makes a big play on the field..obviously not in TN. He says he runs a 4.3 40...well keep in mind that he had a "homie"(no scout)clock him with a stop watch(any bias there)?..even if he were even close to that...thats straight line speed..you've got to run routes..yes he is a veteran and knows all the tricks, but it does require endurance, discipline not to mention having the playbook down..Is he willing to block?..Can our coaching staff/locker room handle him without him blowing up...how about press conferences..you know he will be asked a ton of questions...is he for the betterment of our team or his ego? Randy has had a year to think about it..to miss it...There are lots of questions to be answered by Randy..It can't hurt to give him a look depending on what his agent may be lobbying for $$$...

TEXANJAK
02-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Maybe. Depends on with Moss we get. The one you sign to a one year deal and he plays like there is no tomorrow, or the one that plays when he wants to play. He was a great receiver at one time, but now not so much.

BullBlitz
02-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Yes. Of course.

ckhouston
02-19-2012, 10:31 AM
:clap:Randy = yes, but on a very short leash and with a low base salary loaded with incentives.

Lucky
02-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Moss is done. If he could still play, he'd be in New England. And if the Texans had wanted Moss on the team, they would have signed him when AJ was injured.

Not. Happening.