PDA

View Full Version : Mario movement rumors (MERGED) Signs with Buffalo $100 million

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11

mussop
03-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Sacks aren't the end all be all of DE stats, I know. But generally speaking, if your sack numbers are up, all your other numbers are up. Antonio may look like he's more "active" than Mario, but he's nowhere near as productive & he's only been making $1M/yr less than Mario for the last three years.

Yes they are! Well at least to all of the Mario fanatics.

gafftop
03-11-2012, 02:33 PM
At the end of the year, Kubiak praised Reed & Barwin for stepping up, not only with the quality of their play, but also the quantity. They played an enormous amount of snaps over the last few games, because there was no one else behind them.

If we keep that up, we're going to have the same problem we would have if we handed the ball off to Foster 40 times a game, or asked Schaub to keep dropping back 50 times a game.

Personally, I'm fine with losing Mario. However, if that were to happen I want the Texans to get the best pass rusher they can in the draft. If that means we need to trade up to do it... fine. If that means we need to reach, we need to reach, because I guarantee you Barwin & Reed will not be as affective if they are our only outside pass rushers all year long.

& not only are we asking a lot of Barwin (who has missed a lot of games in his short career) but we're asking a lot of Jj Watt & Brooks Reed. Two guys going into their sophomore season where they should take the biggest jump in their NFL careers. With Mario (or another bonafide pass rusher) it would be easier & more certain for them to bloom into the players we want them to be.

I agree you need more depth. Don't agree you reach or move up in draft. We may get another Amobi. Does not have to be draft choice. Would rather have something more known.

steelbtexan
03-11-2012, 02:40 PM
At the end of the year, Kubiak praised Reed & Barwin for stepping up, not only with the quality of their play, but also the quantity. They played an enormous amount of snaps over the last few games, because there was no one else behind them.

If we keep that up, we're going to have the same problem we would have if we handed the ball off to Foster 40 times a game, or asked Schaub to keep dropping back 50 times a game.

Personally, I'm fine with losing Mario. However, if that were to happen I want the Texans to get the best pass rusher they can in the draft. If that means we need to trade up to do it... fine. If that means we need to reach, we need to reach, because I guarantee you Barwin & Reed will not be as affective if they are our only outside pass rushers all year long.

& not only are we asking a lot of Barwin (who has missed a lot of games in his short career) but we're asking a lot of Jj Watt & Brooks Reed. Two guys going into their sophomore season where they should take the biggest jump in their NFL careers. With Mario (or another bonafide pass rusher) it would be easier & more certain for them to bloom into the players we want them to be.

Agreed

Hopefully McCleland/Bequette/Cam Johnson fall to the 3rd rd.

All are high effort guys that would be a good fit in Wades defense.

Brandon420tx
03-11-2012, 03:10 PM
I agree you need more depth. Don't agree you reach or move up in draft. We may get another Amobi. Does not have to be draft choice. Would rather have something more known.

There are no "known" FA options out there I'd want to be depth behind Barwin and Reed

thunderkyss
03-11-2012, 03:48 PM
That's where Tebow and his ability to heal by laying of hands comes into play. Or am I getting Tim and Benny Hinn confused?

Just imagine Denver gets both Peyton & Mario.

badboy
03-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Just imagine Denver gets both Peyton & Mario.Imagine Houston getting both Mario and Manning. :kitten:

Nawzer
03-11-2012, 08:39 PM
& that's fine. But, I like to ask everyone what their number is for two reasons. To judge if we over payed, or if we got a hometown discount.

Personally, I think we overpayed if his avg salary is over $14M (I think we should be able to sign him for $12M, $14M is my max. One penny over $14M & we over payed).

Even though I believe he is truly worth $12M, I will think we got a hometown discount if we sign him at $12M or lower... such is the case of FA.

For everyone of those guys, you can find someone on their team who is a threat to get 8 sacks a year, or two or more guys who is a threat to get 5.

Mario has never had that luxury, until now. We have never had two or more players other than Mario to get 5 or more sacks in a single year. This year, was the first year someone other than Mario Williams got 8 or more sacks.

Antonio Smith will cost $8M against our cap & 2011 was the first year he finished with more than 5 sacks.

Sacks aren't the end all be all of DE stats, I know. But generally speaking, if your sack numbers are up, all your other numbers are up. Antonio may look like he's more "active" than Mario, but he's nowhere near as productive & he's only been making $1M/yr less than Mario for the last three years.

We're not in the funny money days of years past. The Salary cap was at $129M prior to the expiration of the last CBA. Somehow, the owners got a big one over on the players & brought the cap down almost $10M for two consecutive years.

But you don't get into cap hell by paying players what they are worth. You get into hell by paying guys more than what they are worth. Mario is easily a top 10 DE in the league. Arguably top 5. He should be paid accordingly.

If there is a way, they'll make it work. I don't think Smithiak will over pay for Mario. That's what they are paid to do. If it's all about the dollars for Williams (which he has stated it wasn't) he'll be sent on his way. But don't be surprised to see him sign somewhere between $12M & $14M... & when it happens, don't say we overpaid.

You make some fair points. I think he can be a top 10 or top 5 pass rusher but his stats I believe are a bit skewed. If $12 to $14 is the going rate and if the Texans can maneuver then I'm fine with it. My point is that I don't think he deserves to be the highest paid defensive player in the league. He's a very good player and deserves to be paid like one. His injury history is worrisome and you wonder how much longer the body can withstand specially someone playing his position.

infantrycak
03-11-2012, 08:52 PM
I was talking to edo783 the other day and he had a very good point on Mario. It's funny folks like to question his effort and yet the injury which IR'd him this year was one from over-effort.

My personal observation on the issue is the effort thing is total BS and is just repeated from some college scout who then got repeated and now people use it to justify what they want to do with Mario. On what people claim are taking plays off what I see is maintaining discipline. If every running play (which would be most of them) which is run away from Mario and he used his full athleticism to be on the far side of the formation a RB like Foster would cut back for a huge gain because Mario had not maintained discipline and sealed his edge.

dalemurphy
03-11-2012, 09:05 PM
I was talking to edo783 the other day and he had a very good point on Mario. It's funny folks like to question his effort and yet the injury which IR'd him this year was one from over-effort.

My personal observation on the issue is the effort thing is total BS and is just repeated from some college scout who then got repeated and now people use it to justify what they want to do with Mario. On what people claim are taking plays off what I see is maintaining discipline. If every running play (which would be most of them) which is run away from Mario and he used his full athleticism to be on the far side of the formation a RB like Foster would cut back for a huge gain because Mario had not maintained discipline and sealed his edge.

I'm not quoting any college scout. This is something I arrived at the past 18 months or so. If I am wrong it is likely because of the incredible frustration I had watching him in 2010, as the season was unraveling and he was playing with the unreported sports hernia. That 6 week period where he stood around and slapped hands with tackles and tight ends while the Texans' season fell apart was infuriating. I try to read backwards after the injury was confirmed, but I imagine some of that frustration still lingers.

Regarding Mario playing disciplined: I agree that Mario is disciplined. But, Barwin was extremely disciplined as well this season but was still pursuing with containment much more intensely than I saw from Mario on a regular basis..

Corrosion
03-11-2012, 09:15 PM

I think MW's athleticism makes it look as if he's not giving full effort .... The guy can make the game look effortless at times.

badboy
03-11-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm not quoting any college scout. This is something I arrived at the past 18 months or so. If I am wrong it is likely because of the incredible frustration I had watching him in 2010, as the season was unraveling and he was playing with the unreported sports hernia. That 6 week period where he stood around and slapped hands with tackles and tight ends while the Texans' season fell apart was infuriating. I try to read backwards after the injury was confirmed, but I imagine some of that frustration still lingers.

Regarding Mario playing disciplined: I agree that Mario is disciplined. But, Barwin was extremely disciplined as well this season but was still pursuing with containment much more intensely than I saw from Mario on a regular basis..I had similar thing with DT Josh Chapman Alabama. I lost interest in him quickly when he seemingly could do little. I then found out he had torn ACL. My judgement was on what I saw and knew.

infantrycak
03-11-2012, 09:53 PM
I think MW's athleticism makes it look as if he's not giving full effort .... The guy can make the game look effortless at times.

Very sound point. People see him do something incredible on one play and then act as if he is half-assing if it doesn't happen every play.

thunderkyss
03-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Very sound point. People see him do something incredible on one play and then act as if he is half-assing if it doesn't happen every play.

Or they watch the DE chase the RB down from the back side of the play & give him Kudos for that, even though that is the one thing he should not do as it leaves him open for the cut back, the reverse, or the bootleg.

Mr teX
03-11-2012, 10:15 PM

I brought this up 8 pages ago..People seem to think that if they don't see a guy charging up field like a madman every play or his arms & hands flailing everywhere he's dogging it.

Here's something i found interesting when i saw this top 100 show on NFL network last year. Pay attention to what Kubes says about mario at about the 1.30 mark. I think this pertains to this current convo about his motor and why the guy is always nicked up and ultimately why this kid might be worth us pursuing.....to a point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gHwQSraaPY

I know there's some truth in what kubes is saying, i just don't know how much. For instance, i know this is probably true for a guy like freeney.

dalemurphy
03-11-2012, 10:19 PM

Mario Williams and J.J. Watt are nearly identical athletes. Watt's effort is very visible.

infantrycak
03-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Mario Williams and J.J. Watt are nearly identical athletes.

No they aren't. And I love JJ Watt. He is a fantastic athlete. But they are different types. Being close to the same height and weight doesn't mean the same much less identical. JJ Watt would never have a prayer of playing 3-4 OLB. Mario was doing it a high level in his first few games of the conversion. Really bad assertion.

dalemurphy
03-11-2012, 11:23 PM
No they aren't. And I love JJ Watt. He is a fantastic athlete. But they are different types. Being close to the same height and weight doesn't mean the same much less identical. JJ Watt would never have a prayer of playing 3-4 OLB. Mario was doing it a high level in his first few games of the conversion. Really bad assertion.

Same height
Same weight
Same vertical explosion
Same speed
Same lateral explosion
Same quickness
Same strength... Check the combine numbers.

I'm not sure what the differences are that you are asserting. I would agree that Mario is out of place as a 3-4 OLB. I think Watt could play the position Mario played last year. After a short adjustment, I think he would have similar results as well. I don't want him out there, though. I want smaller and more agile players that are better in coverage.

infantrycak
03-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Same height
Same weight
Same vertical explosion
Same speed
Same lateral explosion
Same quickness

I'm not sure what the differences are that you are asserting. I would agree that Mario is out of place as a 3-4 OLB. I think Watt could play the position Mario played last year. After a short adjustment, I think he would have similar results as well. I don't want him out there, though. I want smaller and more agile players that are better in coverage.

This is one of those instances of the measuring tape doesn't add up to the field. I don't give a crap about combine numbers. I watch them and they are not the same athlete at all. And I wasn't saying Mario is out of place at 3-4 OLB. I was saying he can excel there and JJ Watt has no chance of doing that. JJ Watt will be an excellent DE in either a 4-3 or 3-4. He can even slide into DT. He is not an OLB. Not due to less athleticism but different athleticism.

Geez dude, release some of your anti-Mario advocacy - just a little bit. Trying to argue Mario and JJ Watt are the same is ridiculous. I am not going to cry if Mario leaves for a higher offer or the Texans decide he is too expensive. You are coming across like you are going to pop a cork, fall to your knees and cry for joy if they do not re-sign him.

Fico
03-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Same height
Same weight
Same vertical explosion
Same speed
Same lateral explosion
Same quickness

JJ Watt is shorter, slower, and less explosive than Mario. Mario performed more bench reps, jumped 3.5in higher, ran the 40 .18 seconds faster than JJ, and broad jumped the exact same. JJ outperformed Mario on the shuttle and three cone drill.

You have an opinion on Mario that is clear, but when you say things like JJ Watt is the same caliber athlete as Mario Williams, well, you are just wrong.

Corrosion
03-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Same height
Same weight
Same vertical explosion
Same speed
Same lateral explosion
Same quickness

You are entitled to your opinion DM .... But I dont agree with it.

dalemurphy
03-11-2012, 11:48 PM
This is one of those instances of the measuring tape doesn't add up to the field. I don't give a crap about combine numbers. I watch them and they are not the same athlete at all. And I wasn't saying Mario is out of place at 3-4 OLB. I was saying he can excel there and JJ Watt has no chance of doing that. JJ Watt will be an excellent DE in either a 4-3 or 3-4. He can even slide into DT. He is not an OLB. Not due to less athleticism but different athleticism.

Geez dude, release some of your anti-Mario advocacy - just a little bit. Trying to argue Mario and JJ Watt are the same is ridiculous. I am not going to cry if Mario leaves for a higher offer or the Texans decide he is too expensive. You are coming across like you are going to pop a cork, fall to your knees and cry for joy if they do not re-sign him.

Saying they are different players is one thing. That's fine. But how are they different athletes? What skills/talents do you think Mario posesses that Watt does not? It isn't speed, strength, quickness, explosion, ability to change direction, arm length, hand size, flexibility.... so, what is it? You want to say Mario is gifted to do something that Watt can't do... how about an explanation of why?

I find it interesting that your eyeball test can be entered into evidence and is your primary explanation for why Watt can't play OLB like Mario can. Yet, when others use an eyeball test to argue that Mario doesn't put forth as much effort as Watt you dismiss it and argue that it is because of their differences in athleticism. When you define those differences, your argument is..."I can just tell"... Tough to argue with that!

Okay, and I'm the one who is "ridiculous"? and I'm the one with an agenda?

dalemurphy
03-11-2012, 11:51 PM
You are entitled to your opinion DM .... But I dont agree with it.

What opinion? How can you deny that Mario and Watt are nearly identical in athletic ability? These are objective measurements. I don't get it. Show me, or explain to me what abilities Mario has that Watt does not from an objective perspective. The great thing about the combine is that it does measure all of that on an even playing field.

dalemurphy
03-11-2012, 11:57 PM
JJ Watt is shorter, slower, and less explosive than Mario. Mario performed more bench reps, jumped 3.5in higher, ran the 40 .18 seconds faster than JJ, and broad jumped the exact same. JJ outperformed Mario on the shuttle and three cone drill.

You have an opinion on Mario that is clear, but when you say things like JJ Watt is the same caliber athlete as Mario Williams, well, you are just wrong.

Watt is 1.5 inches shorter.
Watt wieghed 5 pounds less.
Mario performed 35 bps to Watt's 34.
Mario jumped 40.5 inches to Watt's 37 inches.
Mario ran a 4.66 to Watt's 4.81.
Identical broad jump
Watt's 3 cone was 6.88 compared to 7.21
Watt's shuttle was 4.21 compared to 4.37

I'm struggling to see the distinction between the two that you are wanting to make. Are you saying that Mario is stronger because he did 35 instead of 34? His 40 and his vertical are a little better. Does that mean he is faster and more explosive? Considering they had an identical broad jump and that Watt's 3 cone was significantly faster as was his shuttle, you would be hardpressed to say Mario showed more explosion or speed.

** by the way, Watt could probably emulate those numbers while Mario would likely not be able to come close to his combine results now that he's been in the league for 6 years. Injuries and the physicality of the league has surely taken its toll.

infantrycak
03-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Saying they are different players is one thing. That's fine. But how are they different athletes? What skills/talents do you think Mario posesses that Watt does not?...

I'm sorry but if you can't see the difference (which is not to say JJ iis a lesser athlete only clearly different) then I can't help you. You have become evangelical on this subject to the point of absurdity. As I have said twice at least now, Mario has the kind of athleticism to convert to OLB at a very high level. JJ will not do that. If anything coaches would tend to trend him inside to DT. They are not identical and that was an absurd assertion. But you are on your train to get Mario out of town. Everyone who has ever posted here gets that. No need to embellish.

dalemurphy
03-12-2012, 12:30 AM
I'm sorry but if you can't see the difference (which is not to say JJ iis a lesser athlete only clearly different) then I can't help you. You have become evangelical on this subject to the point of absurdity. As I have said twice at least now, Mario has the kind of athleticism to convert to OLB at a very high level. JJ will not do that. If anything coaches would tend to trend him inside to DT. They are not identical and that was an absurd assertion. But you are on your train to get Mario out of town. Everyone who has ever posted here gets that. No need to embellish.

I'll ask again, what does Mario have, athletically, that Watt lacks for OLB?

Review the late second quarter of the Cincy playoff game... Watt has the hand-eye coordination it takes to play out there. He is quicker and more agile. He's as fast, maybe faster within the 1st 20 yards...

Here's the reality: Watt is willing to play inside and Mario is not. The Texans, if you recall, originally planned for Mario to play a 3-4 DE and then shifted their plans in April. Mario expressed concern about playing inside the tackle and the plan was eventually changed. I don't want Watt at OLB. I don't want Mario there, either. It's for the same reason. Both are better suited to play on the line of scrimmage.

Comparing Mario to Watt has nothing to do with getting Mario out of town. Watt is a fantastic football player and a great athlete. Nothing about that comparison is an effort to diminish Mario.

leebigeztx
03-12-2012, 03:35 AM
I see murphy still making up stuff. Mario has never said he wouldn't play inside nor gave the hint. In fact, I had the mizzou kid going to houston and watt to cowboys,but sf took aldon and houston took watt. I still don't get it why u would just make stuff up. Fact is,he consulted bruce smith on playing 5 technique for wade. Smith at 278 lbs did it and got sacks and pressured the qb,but now all of a sudden,he doesn't want to play the 5. Whatever,keep on ur bs parade.

thunderkyss
03-12-2012, 07:54 AM
I brought this up 8 pages ago..People seem to think that if they don't see a guy charging up field like a madman every play or his arms & hands flailing everywhere he's dogging it.

Here's something i found interesting when i saw this top 100 show on NFL network last year. Pay attention to what Kubes says about mario at about the 1.30 mark. I think this pertains to this current convo about his motor and why the guy is always nicked up and ultimately why this kid might be worth us pursuing.....to a point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gHwQSraaPY

I know there's some truth in what kubes is saying, i just don't know how much. For instance, i know this is probably true for a guy like freeney.

Great video. It was nice to see Kubiak on the sideline, you don't ever see that side of him through most film.

dalemurphy
03-12-2012, 08:14 AM
I see murphy still making up stuff. Mario has never said he wouldn't play inside nor gave the hint. In fact, I had the mizzou kid going to houston and watt to cowboys,but sf took aldon and houston took watt. I still don't get it why u would just make stuff up. Fact is,he consulted bruce smith on playing 5 technique for wade. Smith at 278 lbs did it and got sacks and pressured the qb,but now all of a sudden,he doesn't want to play the 5. Whatever,keep on ur bs parade.

This is the first thing Mario ever said publicly after Wade was hired (not, I'm excited or looking forward to it)... but, this:

“If a pass develops, you’re pretty much rushing the guard. If I have to do it, I have to do it, but it would be a huge change.”

Later, Wade went into great detail explaining what Mario's role would be and that he sees him as a 5 technique and used like he used Bruce Smith. He compared Mario's role and ability to Elvin Bethea. He even explained why Mario wouldn't be suited that well for OLB, explaining the false steps he saw Mario take on tape when he stood up in years' prior. Note also, that everything changed while the lockout was ongoing. So, there were no workouts or practices to convince Wade that Mario should play OLB. As Mario said, I'm sure he would have played the position if he had to. But, he didn't like the idea, as you can see, and who knows how much complaining he did about it behind closed doors. I know that he is accustomed to getting what he wants from the Texan coaches. I don't remember if it was Richard Smith or Frank Bush that would ask Mario during the game what his favorite calls were and then make the calls so Mario could go make plays.

** It's interesting that some of you think you have the inside market on the truth. I don't get it. I can't count how many times I've been called a liar or accused of lying. Instead of saying, I don't think he said anything like that" or "I don't remember that" or "who cares"... You open with I'm "making stuff up again".

thunderkyss
03-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Watt is 1.5 inches shorter.
Watt wieghed 5 pounds less.
Mario performed 35 bps to Watt's 34.
Mario jumped 40.5 inches to Watt's 37 inches.
Mario ran a 4.66 to Watt's 4.81.
Identical broad jump
Watt's 3 cone was 6.88 compared to 7.21
Watt's shuttle was 4.21 compared to 4.37

I'm struggling to see the distinction between the two that you are wanting to make. Are you saying that Mario is stronger because he did 35 instead of 34? His 40 and his vertical are a little better. Does that mean he is faster and more explosive? Considering they had an identical broad jump and that Watt's 3 cone was significantly faster as was his shuttle, you would be hardpressed to say Mario showed more explosion or speed.

Objectively, I would say they are not the same athlete. The "little differences" does put Mario in a different class. To me, the vertical & the 40 differences does say that Mario is more explosive. The 3 cone & shuttle tells me Jj changes direction better.... but he has a more compact frame, so you would expect that.

His change of direction & what I believe appears to be a better football IQ, would make him a better OLB than Mario (imo).

** by the way, Watt could probably emulate those numbers while Mario would likely not be able to come close to his combine results now that he's been in the league for 6 years. Injuries and the physicality of the league has surely taken its toll.

They said the same about Randy Moss.

thunderkyss
03-12-2012, 08:44 AM
I'm sorry but if you can't see the difference (which is not to say JJ iis a lesser athlete only clearly different) then I can't help you.

As I have said twice at least now, Mario has the kind of athleticism to convert to OLB at a very high level. JJ will not do that. If anything coaches would tend to trend him inside to DT.

eh... semantics.

We drafted Mario thinking he could & would play every position on the line. Didn't happen. His rookie year, some thought he showed difficulty switching sides.. or moving inside & demanded he stayed at one position. I personally never felt that way, but that is what I remember being said on this board, and obviously the coaches felt the same as he's never played inside since (he still switches sides though).

As far as OLB & Mario playing it at a high level, I question your meaning. We have Mario standing up outside the TE, but he's not really playing OLB in the true sense of the word. He's playing outside pass rusher.

We haven't seen (or at least I haven't) Jj Watt drop back into coverage at the pro level, but I have not seen anything to make me believe he wouldn't be as good, if not better, as a "true" 3-4 OLB than Mario Williams.

Do I think Jj Watt can rush the passer from the outside & get to the QB like Mario.... outside meaning the OLB spot.. hEllLLls no. As good as Brooks or Connor? definitely.

thunderkyss
03-12-2012, 09:04 AM
I'll ask again, what does Mario have, athletically, that Watt lacks for OLB?

Review the late second quarter of the Cincy playoff game... Watt has the hand-eye coordination it takes to play out there. He is quicker and more agile. He's as fast, maybe faster within the 1st 20 yards...

I don't know what makes you think Watt is quicker inside 20 yards, nothing I've seen supports that. More agile..... I'll give you that. hand-eye coordination.... I'll agree as well (that he has it, not that it's any better than Mario's).

As an OLB, I think Jj Watt will probably be better. As a rush end... not so much. Mario is faster around the corner, period.

Here's the reality: Watt is willing to play inside and Mario is not. The Texans, if you recall, originally planned for Mario to play a 3-4 DE and then shifted their plans in April. Mario expressed concern about playing inside the tackle and the plan was eventually changed. I don't want Watt at OLB. I don't want Mario there, either. It's for the same reason. Both are better suited to play on the line of scrimmage.

Your reality. Show us a link where Mario expressed concern. Mario has said he was willing, whatever was best for the team. The generally accepted reasoning about moving Mario to OLB, was because we didn't get Aldon Smith & had to settle for Jj Watt (I say that facetiously).

Comparing Mario to Watt has nothing to do with getting Mario out of town. Watt is a fantastic football player and a great athlete. Nothing about that comparison is an effort to diminish Mario.

I agree, Jj Watt is amazing. Mario Williams is amazing.

infantrycak
03-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Great video. It was nice to see Kubiak on the sideline, you don't ever see that side of him through most film.

From personal observation sitting on the Texans sideline I have been trying to tell people for years that Kubiak is much more fiery than the TV broadcast portrays.

As far as OLB & Mario playing it at a high level, I question your meaning. We have Mario standing up outside the TE, but he's not really playing OLB in the true sense of the word. He's playing outside pass rusher.

What? He absolutely is playing OLB as Wade uses OLB's.

Playoffs
03-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Schefter -- Titans
Schlereth -- Patriots

thunderkyss
03-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Getting pretty close to 3:00, shouldn't we have heard something by now if we signed Mario?

dalemurphy
03-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Getting pretty close to 3:00, shouldn't we have heard something by now if we signed Mario?

Still 24 hours to go.

Also, Texans have been rewarded another $1.6 million in cap space. Surely, some of these Texan free agents will be signed by this evening.

HOU-TEX
03-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Still 24 hours to go.

Also, Texans have been rewarded another $1.6 million in cap space. Surely, some of these Texan free agents will be signed by this evening.

Why? If you were a FA wouldn't you test the market just to see your worth around the league rather than just excepting the 1st and only offer?

dalemurphy
03-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Why? If you were a FA wouldn't you test the market just to see your worth around the league rather than just excepting the 1st and only offer?

Not if the market was going to be flooded and/or I really wanted to stay in Houston. I don't think there is any way at least a couple of the following guys aren't signed by tomorrow morning:

Myers (probably)
Dreessen (maybe)
Biscuit (probably)
J.Allen (doubtful)
Dobbins (maybe)
Mario (hope not)

HOU-TEX
03-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Not if the market was going to be flooded and/or I really wanted to stay in Houston. I don't think there is any way at least a couple of the following guys aren't signed by tomorrow morning:

Myers (probably)
Dreessen (maybe)
Biscuit (probably)
J.Allen (doubtful)
Dobbins (maybe)
Mario (hope not)

Doesn't matter if they want to stay in Houston or not. I think they will check the market to see where our offers (if any) stand. It's a business 1st and most players will do what's right for their families first.

ckhouston
03-12-2012, 03:54 PM
I would agree that Mario is out of place as a 3-4 OLB.

Wade wouldn't ... think I will go with Mr Phillips on that one. He seems to know a little about the game.

Dutchrudder
03-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Doesn't matter if they want to stay in Houston or not. I think they will check the market to see where our offers (if any) stand. It's a business 1st and most players will do what's right for their families first.

I agree, but I think we will see Myers pull an Orlando Pace/Leigh Bodden on some other team like the Packers, Broncos or Redskins and come back to the fold. Hopefully Brisiel and Dresseen do the same.

leebigeztx
03-12-2012, 04:54 PM
This is the first thing Mario ever said publicly after Wade was hired (not, I'm excited or looking forward to it)... but, this:

“If a pass develops, you’re pretty much rushing the guard. If I have to do it, I have to do it, but it would be a huge change.”

Later, Wade went into great detail explaining what Mario's role would be and that he sees him as a 5 technique and used like he used Bruce Smith. He compared Mario's role and ability to Elvin Bethea. He even explained why Mario wouldn't be suited that well for OLB, explaining the false steps he saw Mario take on tape when he stood up in years' prior. Note also, that everything changed while the lockout was ongoing. So, there were no workouts or practices to convince Wade that Mario should play OLB. As Mario said, I'm sure he would have played the position if he had to. But, he didn't like the idea, as you can see, and who knows how much complaining he did about it behind closed doors. I know that he is accustomed to getting what he wants from the Texan coaches. I don't remember if it was Richard Smith or Frank Bush that would ask Mario during the game what his favorite calls were and then make the calls so Mario could go make plays.

** It's interesting that some of you think you have the inside market on the truth. I don't get it. I can't count how many times I've been called a liar or accused of lying. Instead of saying, I don't think he said anything like that" or "I don't remember that" or "who cares"... You open with I'm "making stuff up again".

You make up so many assumptions, you run out of asses. You said mario didn't want to play 5, then u quote something that doesn't even come close to stating that. If aldon smith was there to be drafted, mario would be the 5 tech. Since smith was drafted a couple of spot earlier and watt was the bpa, he was drafted and mario kicked to olb. Again, you continue to make up baseless bs. Continue on

thunderkyss
03-12-2012, 05:05 PM

That's not true. Marshawn Lynch signed his deal without testing the market. Some people have an idea what they are worth & will negotiate that up front. Money is a big part of the decision of where they are going to go & what they want to do, but there are all kinds of other reasons players decide to sign where they sign.

Andre has worked his deals, so he'll never be FA. He's not interested in "checking the market"

Then you've got guys who know their best option is in Houston.... Dressen's done the FA thing once already, JA has already seen what it's like to be a FA..... etc...

mussop
03-12-2012, 06:11 PM
You make up so many assumptions, you run out of asses. You said mario didn't want to play 5, then u quote something that doesn't even come close to stating that. If aldon smith was there to be drafted, mario would be the 5 tech. Since smith was drafted a couple of spot earlier and watt was the bpa, he was drafted and mario kicked to olb. Again, you continue to make up baseless bs. Continue on

You accuse someone of making assumptions then you turn right around and make 2 or 3 in your next few sentences. And he's actually very accurate on everything he said in that post. What did you think Mario meant when he said he wasn't excited or looking forward to it?

How do you know Watt was BPA on the Texans big board? Maybe what Dale is saying has merit and he was the best available 5 tech. Robert Quin and Ryan Carrigan were both still available and were ranked very high as 3/4 OLB's. If they really wanted an OLB why not draft one of those guys?

There were very suspicious circumstances that led up to the announcement that Mario would be moving to OLB. In fact I started a thread about it at the time. I still believe more went on behind the scenes than was ever let on. Maybe that has something to do with why Mario ever made it to FA in the first place.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised to hear stuff like this start leaking out once he signs with another team. :cowboy1:

Brandon420tx
03-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Now there are reports that the Bears are going to make a high money offer for them. Ridiculousness. If they get him then I feel bad for Stafford, Peppers and Mario against their OTs

gafftop
03-12-2012, 06:39 PM
What do you think if they blow up the offensive line for Mario?

Second Honeymoon
03-12-2012, 06:51 PM
What do you think if they blow up the offensive line for Mario?

Looks like they just took Step One towards doing that. Hopefully it's to get Manning and not to overpay for Mario.

TEXANRED
03-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Now there are reports that the Bears are going to make a high money offer for them. Ridiculousness. If they get him then I feel bad for Stafford, Peppers and Mario against their OTs

That would be sick, and I like the Bears too.

Mario would have to give up 90 though.

aussie_texan
03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Looks like they just took Step One towards doing that. Hopefully it's to get Manning and not to overpay for Mario.

if houston sign Manning I'm going to be so pissed.

ill just watch defence. when to offence comes out ill turn off the TV.

gafftop
03-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Simplified possible Mario outcomes next season:
1. Plays good when healthy but has some type of nagging injury as last two years
2. Does not adapt to 3-4.
3. Plays great in his contract year

In 1 we get probably nothing or do we get compensation because we do not sign as we did with Dunta. Last pick in draft. LOL

In 2 same as 1

In 3, do you want to give Mario say 20+ million for the next 5 years based on his last year of performance. Say the cap is 120 million. If you divide in half, half for offense and half for defense, do you really want to give Mario 33% of all money for defense? I sure don't. DO YOU?

In reality probably no player is worth that large of % of cap. Maybe Peyton or Brady etc QBs of that caliber may be the only position that warrants that and even then it is a crap shoot because of injury.

The above is why I think IF you can get a good deal in a trade this year you do it.

It is very likely that other teams view Mario in the same way and will give nothing for him this year. I don't know. But if there are teams out that that covet him I think it should seriously be considered by the Texans.

I don't think Aso is a good deal based on reasoning above.
Just my opinion.

This was posted back in April 2011 earlier in this thread.

Knowing what we know about the cap hell the Texans were in just makes the above issue about not trading Mario last year an even bigger mistake.

The FO put the future of the Texans at risk just to keep Mario for ONE year.
Teams like New England are too smart to let this happen.

If you thought about it and we knew the numbers like the Texans' FO knew trading Mario last year was a no brainer. Again just my opinion.

fiasco west
03-12-2012, 07:25 PM

I wonder why the Bears always ignore their offensive needs every year. I feel sorry for Cutler they are giving the guy no help in the air or protection wise.

thunderkyss
03-12-2012, 10:24 PM
I wonder why the Bears always ignore their offensive needs every year. I feel sorry for Cutler they are giving the guy no help in the air or protection wise.

How much cap room do the Bears have? Who are they going to pick in the draft?

We can't say the bears are ignoring their offense because they haven't chased Peyton Manning. They still have time.

leebigeztx
03-12-2012, 10:34 PM
You accuse someone of making assumptions then you turn right around and make 2 or 3 in your next few sentences. And he's actually very accurate on everything he said in that post. What did you think Mario meant when he said he wasn't excited or looking forward to it?

How do you know Watt was BPA on the Texans big board? Maybe what Dale is saying has merit and he was the best available 5 tech. Robert Quin and Ryan Carrigan were both still available and were ranked very high as 3/4 OLB's. If they really wanted an OLB why not draft one of those guys?

There were very suspicious circumstances that led up to the announcement that Mario would be moving to OLB. In fact I started a thread about it at the time. I still believe more went on behind the scenes than was ever let on. Maybe that has something to do with why Mario ever made it to FA in the first place.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised to hear stuff like this start leaking out once he signs with another team. :cowboy1:

He said he didn't know what he was going to do position wise. Its not like he knew about anything related to how wade would use him. Kerrigan wasn't rated that high on anyones board and quinn was coming off an injury and had character concerns which we knew axed him out the equation. My opinion and assumption based on how many times they talked and visited with smith, he was their top target. A lot of teams had him high because of his age,production,and freakish ability to either standup or put his hand in the dirt. Jmo,if smith would've been there,smith would've been the choice. Jj was probably rated higher and gave the texans more flexibilty than quinn,kerrigan,imo.

I didn't think mario could play olb until I saw him at camp moving fluid and looking natural at the posistion. When the texans would have 3rd and long,it was mostly a 4 man front with mario and barwin at de. Jmo,if smith or watt would've went down,I think mario would move to 5 tech,but dale doesn't think so. I guess after tommorrow we won't have this thread either way.

aussie_texan
03-12-2012, 11:27 PM
If all the cuts and possible cuts maybe were going after Brees!!!!! :kitten:

:sarcasm:

Kimmy
03-13-2012, 12:02 PM
If all the cuts and possible cuts maybe were going after Brees!!!!! :kitten:

:sarcasm:

And considering the Saints franchised him, impossible LOL

J_R
03-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Visiting Buffalo per Schefter on NFL Live.

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter
Free agent defensive end Mario Williams plans to visit the Buffalo Bills tonight.

michaelm
03-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Schefter reporting that mario will visit the Bills tonight.

HOU-TEX
03-13-2012, 03:19 PM

Just gettin his feet wet in FA I reckon. I mean, who in their right mind would opt for Buffalo over the Texans? Unless it IS about the $, of course

fiasco west
Yeah heard it was wondering when it would pop up here lol.

I don't think that is a good fit for Mario. He's going to have a ton of pressure to produce if he goes there.

Ryan

That means he's all about the $$$

Playoffs
Let the Mario World Tour begin ..... no stops in H-town, though.

fiasco west
03-13-2012, 03:21 PM

He's already well familiar with this team. But if he's roaming about being pitched to it is less likely the Texans will resign him at this point.

False Start
03-13-2012, 03:21 PM

The Jags, Seattle, and Bears.

Ole Miss Texan
03-13-2012, 03:22 PM

LOL. Not that he won't sign there, but let's not overreact here. It's only in his best interest (and Myers) to test the waters and get an idea of what other teams would be willing to give him. Or to meet their front office. Chances are Mario is going to get paid some ungodly amount by a team and I'm not going to fault him for taking the $18MM per year when the Texans would only give him $12MM.

Grams
03-13-2012, 03:24 PM
He is no longer a Texan.

HOU-TEX
03-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Looks like the Bills are going 'all in' this off season. Meachem scheduled too

False Start
03-13-2012, 03:25 PM

No doubt. If He does sign with a crappy team, I will be kind of disappointed...oh well, I guess we'll see.

Dutchrudder
03-13-2012, 03:27 PM

The Bills were doing pretty well early on last season. They were looking good until their Center went down for the year, and Fred Jackson mid-season as well.

In any case, I expect them to offer him Julius Peppers type money. He may not take it, but use it as leverage against the Patriots who are also interested in him. Either way, if he's gone, I hope Peyton goes to the same division so he can face him twice a year :)

Cjeremy635
03-13-2012, 03:27 PM
He can take his ass to any of those teams. I'd hate for him to be on the Jags, but if he puts them in cap hell....then so be it.

I'll probably get flamed for it, but I don't think Mario is worth the money that he wants. The guy as all the potential in the world. He's a physical freak of a specimen. But, in my opinion, I don't think he's worth what he wants or will get on the market. I don't think the guy has a high intensity motor and it seems like he's always fighting through injuries. I know that injuries are part of the NFL, but it seems like we use them as an excuse for him. It's always the "yeah, but...." when it comes to his production. I don't think you pay someone that kind of dough with the "yeah, but...." added to his resume.

OK.....flame away. :nolisten:

Cjeremy635
03-13-2012, 03:29 PM
He is no longer a Texan.

I ain't cryin......

We can use the money elsewhere now.

jaayteetx
03-13-2012, 03:31 PM
He can take his ass to any of those teams. I'd hate for him to be on the Jags, but if he puts them in cap hell....then so be it.

I'll probably get flamed for it, but I don't think Mario is worth the money that he wants. The guy as all the potential in the world. He's a physical freak of a specimen. But, in my opinion, I don't think he's worth what he wants or will get on the market. I don't think the guy has a high intensity motor and it seems like he's always fighting through injuries. I know that injuries are part of the NFL, but it seems like we use them as an excuse for him. It's always the "yeah, but...." when it comes to his production. I don't think you pay someone that kind of dough with the "yeah, but...." added to his resume.

I thought you were spot on.

texanmojo
03-13-2012, 03:36 PM

Well said!

Trap_Star
03-13-2012, 03:42 PM

Wow, what a flamming ******.

fiasco west
03-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Michael Lombardi ‏ @michaelombardi

Sounds like the Bears wont get Mario Williams, the deal is getting too rich and appears the Bills are in the lead--with the most money

Cjeremy635
03-13-2012, 03:43 PM

I seriously missed you......LMAO!

Cjeremy635
03-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Michael Lombardi ‏ @michaelombardi

Sounds like the Bears wont get Mario Williams, the deal is getting too rich and appears the Bills are in the lead--with the most money

Well, if he doesn't produce for the mountain of money some team is going to throw at him.....then he better get some thicker skin. He got butt hurt over the comments around here from the fans and the media. If a team is throwing every thing & the kitchen sink at you to come in and produce and you don't deliver, well then prepare for an ass reaming of epic proportions. Plus, the media up north is nothing like the nice soft folks over at 610. He'll be crying himself to sleep at night.

The Cush
03-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Well, if he doesn't produce for the mountain of money some team is going to throw at him.....then he better get some thicker skin. He got butt hurt over the comments around here from the fans and the media. If a team is throwing every thing & the kitchen sink at you to come in and produce and you don't deliver, well then prepare for an ass reaming of epic proportions. Plus, the media up north is nothing like the nice soft folks over at 610. He'll be crying himself to sleep at night.

When did he ever get upset? And I think he has already developed some pretty thick skin after they way he entered this league as the world's unconsensus #1 pick

Nawzer
03-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Lol if he signs with the Bills. I won't blame him if he's going after the money (why wouldn't you?) but be prepared to be owned by the Pats year in year out.

Pantherstang84
03-13-2012, 03:54 PM
This thread should probably go to the NFL section now. Right?

HoustonFrog
03-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Heard the Bills rumor from LZ and Schefter about 30 min before deadline but thought it was b.s. They have the cash!

TheMatrix31
03-13-2012, 03:57 PM
I'd be pissed at Mario for taking the money. Dude spent his whole career thus far on an underachieving, generally-embarrassing, heartbreaking franchise.

Yeah, go ahead, go to another one. Idiot.

If you're gonna leave for some more money, fine. Just go somewhere that can also offer you some semblance of a shred of winning too.

I guess these athletes don't think the way I do.

fiasco west
03-13-2012, 04:01 PM
I'd be pissed at Mario for taking the money. Dude spent his whole career thus far on an underachieving, generally-embarrassing, heartbreaking franchise.

If you're gonna leave for some more money, fine. Just go somewhere that can also offer you some semblance of a shred of winning too.

I kinda agree.

I mean he spent his entire career playing for a losing team.

At least Nnamdi went to a team that most thought of as a contender AND for the Money.

If he were going to the Bears or Patriots then I'd say..."Yeah if I were him I might make the same choice."

But it's risky to go to the Bills, especially when the Patriots are in the same division. If he leaves to go there then whatever.

Grams
03-13-2012, 04:03 PM
I kinda agree.

I mean he spent his entire career playing for a losing team.

At least Nnamdi went to a team that most thought of as a contender AND for the Money.

If he were going to the Bears or Patriots then I'd say..."Yeah if I were him I might make the same choice."

But it's risky to go to the Bills, especially when the Patriots are in the same division. If he leaves to go there then whatever.

He's visiting. Probably going to visit a few teams to get a good sense of what he is worth, before he decides where he wants to go.

Pantherstang84
03-13-2012, 04:03 PM

Unfortunately, they only think the way you do when they are in the twilight of their careers. They made the money but something is missing. The ring! Usually, it is too late by that time.

Bulls on Parade
03-13-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm 100 % confident the Texans are going to re-sign Mario Williams when it's all said and done. What is so wrong with him meeting with other teams? Let him see what else is out there. Just a business at the end of the day. I'm a big Mario Willams fan and he has a great thing going in Houston with Wade Phillips' defense.

Ole Miss Texan
03-13-2012, 04:06 PM

I see where you're coming from but keep in mind the Bills started off pretty well last year. The Dolphins and Jets really aren't very good. The Patriots - well, they're the Patriots. I don't think the Bills are the sucktitude that they once were. The NFL goes in cycles. There will be a time when the Pats aren't king. Just like when the 49'ers declined, Broncos declined, etc.

TheMatrix31
03-13-2012, 04:10 PM
I understand. But I thought the Bills' good start last year was kind of fool's gold even despite the injuries that derailed it.

The Cush
03-13-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm 100 % confident the Texans are going to re-sign Mario Williams when it's all said and done. What is so wrong with him meeting with other teams? Let him see what else is out there. Just a business at the end of the day. I'm a big Mario Willams fan and he has a great thing going in Houston with Wade Phillips' defense.

When he sees the insane amount of money out there, amounts we can't come close to matching makes me think he's gone.

DerekLee1
03-13-2012, 04:18 PM
I don't care how much money it is or what he did for us previously. He leaves, I'll hate him.

fiasco west
03-13-2012, 04:26 PM
I see where you're coming from but keep in mind the Bills started off pretty well last year. The Dolphins and Jets really aren't very good. The Patriots - well, they're the Patriots. I don't think the Bills are the sucktitude that they once were. The NFL goes in cycles. There will be a time when the Pats aren't king. Just like when the 49'ers declined, Broncos declined, etc.

Over Bill's dead body.

Fico
03-13-2012, 04:37 PM
I don't care how much money it is or what he did for us previously. He leaves, I'll hate him.

Why?

False Start
03-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Eric Edholm ‏ @Eric_Edholm

Just chatted with Wade Phillips, who said of Mario Williams, "Wherever he goes, they're going to get a great player." #Texans #edblock

He gone....

houstonspartan
03-13-2012, 05:00 PM
If all of these cuts weren't to sign Mario, and if it appears that Chris Myers is gone, then what's the point to all of this? What's the point of all this frantic cap-clearing?

Did Manning's people float a number by Rick Smith that he's trying to hit?

Mr teX
03-13-2012, 05:00 PM
He gone....

well that's pretty damning...

Ryan
03-13-2012, 05:01 PM
If all of these cuts weren't to sign Mario, and if it appears that Chris Myers is gone, then what's the point to all of this? What's the point of all this frantic cap-clearing?

Did Manning's people float a number by Rick Smith that he's trying to hit?

No.

houstonspartan
03-13-2012, 05:02 PM
No.

So what's going on?

thunderkyss
03-13-2012, 05:03 PM
I understand. But I thought the Bills' good start last year was kind of fool's gold even despite the injuries that derailed it.

Can they win 10 games in 2012?

Home: Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Kansas City Chiefs, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks

Away: Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts,Cleveland Browns, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers

That's 11 winable games in bold.

Ryan
03-13-2012, 05:03 PM
So what's going on?

It looks like our cap situation is really THAT bad. Not sure who Zierlein's "sources" are though.

Stemp
03-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Texans outside linebacker Mario Williams will make his first visit to the Buffalo Bills.

The Bills are loaded with cap space, and they’re switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and need to bolster their pass rush.

The Texans were unable to sign Williams before free agency began at 3 p.m. Tuesday.

Taking his first visit to Buffalo rather than Chicago, which apparently has dropped out of the running, means the Bills should have the inside track and may not let him get away before signing him as early as Wednesday.

Owner Bob McNair said he hoped their free agents would give the Texans a chance to match their offers, but that doesn’t happen often.

“We’d like to have Mario,” McNair said at a news conference after his hour-long appearance on the Texans All-Access Show on Sports Radio 610.

“Unfortunately, a lot of other teams would like to have him, too. It depends on how much they’re willing to pay. We have (salary cap) limitations that constrain us, but we’re going to do everything we possibly can to keep him here.

Williams could become the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/03/mario-williams-plans-trip-to-buffalo-after-not-reaching-a-deal-with-texans/

Double Barrel
03-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Well, not knocking Mario, but if money is more important than winning, perhaps it's best that he becomes a Bill.

Dutchrudder
03-13-2012, 05:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WKX46HCaxA

beerlover
03-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Their probably having illusions of Bruce Smith :thinking:

Pantherstang84
03-13-2012, 05:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WKX46HCaxA

I hate those retarded commercials.

HoustonFrog
03-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Just saw Wade say that "whoever" gets Mario is getting a hell of a player. Telling

Playoffs
03-13-2012, 05:38 PM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1915570&postcount=240

HoustonFrog
03-13-2012, 05:38 PM
It looks like our cap situation is really THAT bad. Not sure who Zierlein's "sources" are though.

Read that too. Have to sign a bunch of key players next year so maybe cap caught up to them.

False Start
03-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Just saw Wade say that "whoever" gets Mario is getting a hell of a player. Telling

Yeah I saw that earlier. Sucks.

Mario arrives in Buffalo (http://ow.ly/i/vwPT) (pic)

It's bad that The Texans are not active in FA. The only thing we have to look at, is our former players being courted by other teams. :toropalm:

Norg
03-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Buffalos D is going to be a Beast if they get mario we play them this year 2 :toropalm:

Rey
03-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Yeah I saw that earlier. Sucks.

Mario arrives in Buffalo (http://ow.ly/i/vwPT) (pic)

It's bad that The Texans are not active in FA. The only thing we have to look at, is our former players being courted by other teams. :toropalm:

Did you read the comments down at the bottom?

LOL...They are all over him...

fiasco west
03-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Did you read the comments down at the bottom?

LOL...They are all over him...

Seems like every fan of every team in the NFL wants Mario except ours.

Pantherstang84
03-13-2012, 05:50 PM

Just being realistic. He will get overpaid by a lot and has durability issues.

Norg
mario is ok not worth the money IMO esp in a 3-4 D and ESp when we showed we can manage without him

and even more he gets injured to much a can get beat buy Elite Tackles

Dutchrudder
Andrew Brandt ‏ @adbrandt

Mario Williams is already in Buffalo two hours into free agency. Did he move to Rochester this off-season?

Maybe the Texans can claim tampering by the Bills? It's odd that Mario would be in Buffalo that quickly, unless his agent told him to be there this afternoon.

WolverineFan
03-13-2012, 05:51 PM

Most of us do want him. But we realize it's a business and it would be detrimental to the rest of the team to give him a big deal with our current cap situation. We have 2 guys at his position that we can roll with. We can live without him, whether we want to or not.

arb729
03-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Maybe the Texans can claim tampering by the Bills? It's odd that Mario would be in Buffalo that quickly, unless his agent told him to be there this afternoon.

Has to be tampering in some way right? Even if his agent was saying be there, that would mean that he somehow knew the Bills wanted to meet with him..

Marcus
03-13-2012, 05:52 PM

Yeah, I know. :(

And when he goes to another team and sticks it up our ass, observe all the revisionist history.

Rey
03-13-2012, 05:54 PM

That statement made me sad.

msbbc833
03-13-2012, 05:54 PM
The guy has two Fendi man bags in that picture, along with multiple Lamborghinis. The guy is all about the $$$$, don't fool yourselves.

Pantherstang84
03-13-2012, 05:56 PM
The guy has two Fendi man bags in that picture, along with multiple Lamborghinis. The guy is all about the $$$$, don't fool yourselves.

Not a bad gig when you can get it. Have a team throw mad cash at you and still get to take plays off. You're right MW has always been about MW.

Kimmy
03-13-2012, 05:58 PM

They are Louis Vuitton ;)

Norg
03-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Well Did Leech and pollard really stick it up our Ass ....... ?????

well i know leech did in the Regular season he was poping up holes big time that game ... playoffs not so much ... well i guess thats how it is in this day of age in the NFL

J_R
03-13-2012, 06:30 PM
FWIW Joe Buscaglia ‏ @JoeB_WGR
Source tells me there's a growing sentiment amongst current #Bills players that the Mario Williams deal has a good chance of happening.

The Bills (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/13/bills-want-mario-williams-badly-making-huge-offer/) want to make Williams the highest-paid defensive player in the league, with a deal better than the six-year, $91.5 million contract that Julius Peppers signed with the Bears in 2010. The Bills’ offer to Williams will apparently include more than $91.5 million in total money, more than the $40.5 million in the first three years that the Bears gave Peppers, and more than the $42 million guaranteed that the Bears gave Peppers.

Buffalo’s full-court press for Williams started with G.M. Buddy Nix and defensive coordinator Dave Wannstedt flying to North Carolina to pick Williams up, and Williams is now having dinner with Nix, Wannstedt, CEO Russ Brandon, head coach Chan Gailey and defensive tackle Kyle Williams. The whole gang will try to get Williams to sign tonight, or tomorrow morning at the latest.

jaayteetx
03-13-2012, 06:32 PM
FWIW Joe Buscaglia ‏ @JoeB_WGR

Good, if he is going to be somewhere else, I can't think of a better place than Buffalo. See ya!!!

DX-TEX
03-13-2012, 06:33 PM
NFL Network's @JasonLaCanfora @michaelombardi both say Mario Williams will sign w/ the #Bills tonight. #NFL

wow.great.awesome

Double Barrel
03-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Damn, that's a shame. But, it's business in a mercenary entertainment industry. We root for the uniforms, not the individual players these days.

Khari
03-13-2012, 06:38 PM
NFL Network's @JasonLaCanfora @michaelombardi both say Mario Williams will sign w/ the #Bills tonight. #NFL

:cry2:

wolf123
03-13-2012, 06:39 PM
He's gonna sign one of the richest contracts ever...

Tonaaayyyy
03-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Well... At least he isn't the greatest Texans of all time, we still have him on our roster.

DX-TEX
03-13-2012, 06:40 PM
He's gonna sign one of the richest contracts ever...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

The Bills want to make Williams the highest-paid defensive player in the league, with a deal better than the six-year, $91.5 million contract that Julius Peppers signed with the Bears in 2010. The Bills’ offer to Williams will apparently include more than $91.5 million in total money, more than the $40.5 million in the first three years that the Bears gave Peppers, and more than the $42 million guaranteed that the Bears gave Peppers.

whoa

False Start
03-13-2012, 06:43 PM
Its all about the Williams' baby....

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/mario100.jpg

Double Barrel
03-13-2012, 06:46 PM
At least he's not in our division! I think my head would explode if he became a freakin' Titan.

False Start
03-13-2012, 06:49 PM
At least he's not in our division! I think my head would explode if he became a freakin' Titan.

I would kick a kitten if that happened. :overreact:

TexCanada
03-13-2012, 06:52 PM
I won't be upset if he signs with the Bills for a monster contract. No way he is worth that much.

infantrycak
03-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Can't blame a guy for setting up his family financially for generations.

Can blame some fans for being such dingleberrys they act like what the rest of the NFL world sees as a great player is really a pedestrian slacker.

gafftop
03-13-2012, 06:57 PM
You know I hope he is a Bill and he signs tonight then we can be done with Super Mario.

Also I hope this is payback to the Bills for beating the Oilers because I think he will be a bust due to injuries real or imagined.

Hope the Buffalo media doesn't handle him with baby gloves.

Bye bye Mario.

Just wish I could have said that before the season started last year at least then we would have had some draft choices to show for it.

Mr teX
03-13-2012, 06:58 PM

Can blame some fans for being such dingleberrys they act like what the rest of the NFL world sees as a great player is really a pedestrian slacker.

rep your way....its funny watching people lash out at these guys b/c they're taking more money to go play elsewhere. alot of this same sentiment is happening in the chris meyers thread.....as if they wouldn't do the same thing....ridiculous.

gafftop
03-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Can't wait for this thread to be officially over.

Looks like Mario going to Bills. You know I hope he is a Bill and he signs tonight then we can be done with Super Mario.

Also I hope this is payback to the Bills for beating the Oilers because I think he will be a bust due to injuries real or imagined.

Bye bye Mario.

Just wish I could have said that before the season started last year at least then we would have had some draft choices to show for it.

At this time this thread is the 2nd most viewed and replied thread in Texans history. Who the hell is Moulds anyway but whatever. I think the" Fire Kubiak Thread" has a chance of overtaking this thread at some point in the furure.

Thanks to Lucky for keeping this thread going. Yeah believe it.

No hard feelings.

Now the real fun begins.

gafftop
03-13-2012, 07:20 PM
rep your way....its funny watching people lash out at these guys b/c they're taking more money to go play elsewhere. alot of this same sentiment is happening in the chris meyers thread.....as if they wouldn't do the same thing....ridiculous.

I have no problem with him taking the money and leaving. It is the right thing for him to do. My issue is the overall talent level of the Texans took a huge hit because we basically get nothing.

I know we get a losers pick but I think that is next year.

Thorn
03-13-2012, 07:24 PM
I have no problem with him taking the money and leaving. It is the right thing for him to do. My issue is the overall talent level of the Texans took a huge hit because we basically get nothing.

Does anyone know when we would recieve our compensotory pick for losing Mario?

I hate to see him go, but he isn't work the kind of money the Bills (apparently) are throwing at him. I wish him no ill will though. If the money was right, I'd sure as hell change jobs.

The Cush
03-13-2012, 07:25 PM

Seeing how we are now realizing how much money we actually spent last year and how it is haunting us now, you could view last season as an "all in". They probably knew they weren't going to be able to retain everyone and just wanted to keep the team intact for one strong attempt, unfortunately everyone got injured.

A time to chill
03-13-2012, 07:37 PM
With Mario Williams leaving the Texans without not really accomplishing much, do you all still think he was the right choice for number one pick instead of Vince Young or Reggie Bush?

silvrhand
03-13-2012, 07:39 PM
With Mario Williams leaving the Texans without not really accomplishing much, do you all still think he was the right choice for number one pick instead of Vince Young or Reggie Bush?

did you really just go there???

infantrycak
03-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Does anyone know when we would recieve our compensotory pick for losing Mario?

Compensatory picks are awarded one year later than the off-season of the departures. So next off-season.

You know I hope he is a Bill and he signs tonight then we can be done with Super Mario.

Bye bye Mario.

Dude you are going to break an arm trying to pat yourself on the back so much and your vituperative clown suit is wearing thin.

The Cush
03-13-2012, 07:40 PM

Should have drafted Matt Leinart

Thorn
03-13-2012, 07:41 PM

Well, hindsight will usually give you a better chance of being right almost all the time. Still, I'd take Mario over the other two with present day knowledge. But given what we know now, it would have probably been better to trade down for more picks.

beerlover
03-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Wasn't like the Texans needed Mario to win in the playoffs, did that without him some might even say Brooks & Barwin where big reason why? What Texans & 49'ers, for that matter, lacked was another WR & someone capable of hanging onto the football fielding punts & kickoffs. :texflag:

gafftop
03-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Well, hindsight will usually give you a better chance of being right almost all the time. Still, I'd take Mario over the other two with present day knowledge. But given what we know now, it would have probably been better to trade down for more picks.

You know I don't think anyone would trade. Just the Texan's luck, the year we get the No.1 there is no Manning, Luck, RG3 etc. that we could leverage into multiple picks.

HoustonFrog
03-13-2012, 07:45 PM

Agree completely on the money. You have to put all of this in perspective. Your employer is saying "go ahead and see what's out there" and someone would love to have you for money that sets you and your family for life. I wouldn't go back to my old employer and say " I'd love to take a lot less to be here."

Texan_Bill
03-13-2012, 07:46 PM

I think it's like being a Flambé *******, only different, or am I wrong?. :cowboy1:

beerlover
03-13-2012, 07:48 PM

Casserly said they tried but no takers. Maybe they should have fired Casserly along with Capers & brought in a GM who could make a deal happen? Then we wouldn't have wasted millions more dollars like they did on HWMNBN with nothing left to show for it. :devilpig:

noxiousdog
03-13-2012, 08:01 PM

Not just that, but we threw the most money at Joseph and Manning last year.

That's just the way it goes.

leebigeztx
03-13-2012, 08:02 PM
The bills are gonna have to beat 44m in the 1st 3 yrs. You didn't hear it from me, or maybe you did.

Texan_Bill
03-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Wait..... What????

Are we as a football society worried about Mario's bowel movements?? Really? REALLY????

Mr teX
03-13-2012, 08:05 PM
The bills are gonna have to beat 44m in the 1st 3 yrs. You didn't hear it from me, or maybe you did.

from who & source please....lol

Pantherstang84
03-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Agree completely on the money. You have to put all of this in perspective. Your employer is saying "go ahead and see what's out there" and someone would love to have you for money that sets you and your family for life. I wouldn't go back to my old employer and say " I'd love to take a lot less to be here."

People have and people do that all the time. I've done it. It is not always about who pays the most. I have seen lots of colleagues chase the huge pay day only to be laid off less than a year later.

It is about risk vs. reward. However, if the Benjamins is your only motivation, more power to ya and all that stuff. See ya six months later when you come back asking for your old job back.

HoustonFrog
03-13-2012, 08:35 PM
People have and people do that all the time. I've done it. It is not always about who pays the most. I have seen lots of colleagues chase the huge pay day only to be laid off less than a year later.

It is about risk vs. reward. However, if the Benjamins is your only motivation, more power to ya and all that stuff. See ya six months later when you come back asking for your old job back.

Im not saying take it ONLY for the money but if you can set yourself and your family up for life and the differences in sums is that great then you have to look at the situation. He won't be laid off in a year. I just got a new job a law firm here in Chicago. Less pay, better opportunity than I had in this field before. The comparison wasn't literal because obviously these guys get guaranteed money and their new companies don't bust. The point Cak made and I agreed with is that you shouldn't fault guys for trying to set their families up for life when their window is so short. He doesn't owe the Texans a hometown discount and people shouldn't bust his chops for taking more. Your job and opportunities aren't the same.

GP
03-13-2012, 08:36 PM
I never had a single doubt in my mind that Mario was going to test fee agency, 100%, and try to land the biggest deal he can.

It makes sense. It's smart. People deluded themselves thinking he was going to scale back and take chump change from us when he's THE hottest ticket in this year's free agency (Even more than Manning, btw. Mario is the top of the class).

It's going to be weird not seeing his mug on Texans stuff. I wonder how long before the texans.com website over there switches out any images they had of him? That'll be weird. End of an era.

I think JJ Watt, and I've said it a bunch of times these past few months, is going to be THE next big thing. I don't even think we truly comprehend the freakish schit that he's going to do. I mean, as a rookie...the dude was beasting out there. The longer he played, the stronger he got and the more tired his opponent became trying to stop him.

JJ Watt is going to be something very, very special here.

hot pickle
03-13-2012, 08:36 PM
I think the mario race is over. i say bills win it tonight! money will sway him that way. can buy lots of lambo's for 90 million!

GP
03-13-2012, 08:38 PM
I think the mario race is over. i say bills win it tonight! money will sway him that way. can buy lots of lambo's for 90 million!

He'll be playing some games in Canada. You can still go watch him play!

Yeah, man. 90 mill buys you a TON of lambos. For sure.

NolaAg
03-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Can't blame him for chasing that kind of dough but the Bills aren't doing anything anytime soon. Buffalo is strictly a money move. Way to forge your legacy, Mario.

Stating the obvious, but now we're faced with drafting/acquiring an OLB, potentially half the OL and oh yeah, a WR. Division is still ripe for the picking but so far, I'm not seeing this team getting any better in the still young offseason.

Pantherstang84
03-13-2012, 08:42 PM
I never had a single doubt in my mind that Mario was going to test fee agency, 100%, and try to land the biggest deal he can.

It makes sense. It's smart. People deluded themselves thinking he was going to scale back and take chump change from us when he's THE hottest ticket in this year's free agency (Even more than Manning, btw. Mario is the top of the class).

It's going to be weird not seeing his mug on Texans stuff. I wonder how long before the texans.com website over there switches out any images they had of him? That'll be weird. End of an era.

I think JJ Watt, and I've said it a bunch of times these past few months, is going to be THE next big thing. I don't even think we truly comprehend the freakish schit that he's going to do. I mean, as a rookie...the dude was beasting out there. The longer he played, the stronger he got and the more tired his opponent became trying to stop him.

JJ Watt is going to be something very, very special here.

I really don't think the Texans offered Mario chump change.

Trust me. Years down the road he will light a fat Monte Cristo with a $100 bill and look down on his naked finger and wonder what might have been. Lot's of men have played this game and gotten rich doing so. Very few have a ring. The one's that do will tell you to a person it means more than the money they made. It is an elite club.

If you think he has a chance to get one in Buffalo, pass the pipe. Not saying it is guaranteed he will get one here but his odds are a lot better.

Pantherstang84
03-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Im not saying take it ONLY for the money but if you can set yourself and your family up for life and the differences in sums is that great then you have to look at the situation. He won't be laid off in a year. I just got a new job a law firm here in Chicago. Less pay, better opportunity than I had in this field before. The comparison wasn't literal because obviously these guys get guaranteed money and their new companies don't bust. The point Cak made and I agreed with is that you shouldn't fault guys for trying to set their families up for life when their window is so short. He doesn't owe the Texans a hometown discount and people shouldn't bust his chops for taking more. Your job and opportunities aren't the same.

I think if my rookie deal was for 50+ million, I would be set for life. But then again I probably wouldn't buy a different Lambo for each day of the week either with that dough.

Wolf
03-13-2012, 08:49 PM
friend of mine was saying he wanted a bunch of money an the Bills were going to do it. I said fine, it is ok if that is what he wants. but with all that money he won't win a super bowl. Bills are too far off.

GP
03-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Plus, he will be a big fish in a small pond with Buffalo.

He will be THE face of that franchise. He'll be celebrated, for sure.

I wonder what the Bills' message board looks like right now? Reactions.

GP
03-13-2012, 09:14 PM
I wonder what the Bills' message board looks like right now? Reactions.

Geez, try going to their board. You have to log into it JUST to see the damn thing. Goofy asses. No lurking, obviously.

Lucky
03-13-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm not surprised Williams left in free agency. The Texans didn't have near enough to offer. I am surprised that he's signing with Buffalo. I thought he would go to a contending team. I thought he was tired of losing. I was dead wrong. Looks to me like he's a player who's led around by his agent. I knew the agent would steer Mario to the largest contract. I just didn't think he would sign with a losing team in a dead market.

The Bills haven't won since '04 and haven't been in the playoffs since Wade's boys were bounced out by the Music City Miracle. I think the Chan Gailey used smoke and mirrors to get this team to 6-10 last year. Will Williams make the difference? I doubt it. I also doubt he plays out that contract.

leebigeztx
03-13-2012, 09:50 PM
from who & source please....lol

The people who are locked in the hotel with company phones that do texans contracts.

dalemurphy
03-13-2012, 09:54 PM
The people who are locked in the hotel with company phones that do texans contracts.

Interesting. apparently the Texans may not be in the cap hell that some are claiming they are: LZ, McClain, and others.

HoustonFrog
03-13-2012, 09:58 PM

Im not sure why you'd pay that with all of the guys needing contracts next year..Cushing, Brown, etc. I just don't see that much ovr the next 3 years.

SheTexan
03-13-2012, 09:59 PM
He's gonna freeze his azzzzz off, IF he signs with Buffalo! Going from a stadium like Reliant to one of the WORST in the league will be a shocker for Mario. I've been to their stadium, and it sucks!

Not sure he'll get very far in sub zero temps and 20 ft of snow in that lambo he loves so much either. Hell, the City of Houston even allowed him to run his friggin car at Ellington!

BUT, MONEY seems to be more important to some of these guys these days than truly trying to help a team win a SB. He's got a good thing going here in Houston, has made plenty of money to secure the future for his family, and I bet the Texans are not offering him chump change to stay. BUT, that's not good enough. Hope he freezes his nuts off!!:snowday:

Big Lou
03-13-2012, 10:00 PM
See ya MaIRo!!!!!!

I understand taking the money, so I hope he will understand when I say don't let the door hit you on the way out.

GP
03-13-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm not surprised Williams left in free agency. The Texans didn't have near enough to offer. I am surprised that he's signing with Buffalo. I thought he would go to a contending team. I thought he was tired of losing. I was dead wrong. Looks to me like he's a player who's led around by his agent. I knew the agent would steer Mario to the largest contract. I just didn't think he would sign with a losing team in a dead market.

The Bills haven't won since '04 and haven't been in the playoffs since Wade's boys were bounced out by the Music City Miracle. I think the Chan Gailey used smoke and mirrors to get this team to 6-10 last year. Will Williams make the difference? I doubt it. I also doubt he plays out that contract.

[/thread] 100% agree.

Texn4life
03-13-2012, 10:09 PM
I don't know if anyone has referenced this, but this has a feel of when Beltran left Houston. I don't think there's any way Mario's going to be able to live up to the expectations much like Beltran wasn't able to. He'll be a pretty good player for them much like Carlos was for the Mets, but I'm not sure he'll come close to meeting the expectations that are about to come with the monstrous contract he's about to sign.

I'm in the camp that can't blame him for taking the money, but he's in for a rude awakening heading to Buffalo. I don't think the 2 cities could be any more different. If that's what he decides to do then I'll hope that he excels. He's a good guy and handled all of the criticism that was thrown his way after the draft in a 1st class manner.

michaelm
03-13-2012, 10:23 PM
per Jason La Canfora

Mario Williams not expected to sign in BUF tonight. Will take time with the visit and has at least one other visit scheduled #freeagency

Texn4life
03-13-2012, 10:29 PM
per Jason La Canfora

A follow up on that as well.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/13/report-mario-williams-leaving-buffalo-without-signing-will-visit-others/

The Buffalo Bills appear to have fallen short in their quest to make a big splash on the opening day of free agency with the biggest free agent contract ever given to a defensive player.

Instead, Mario Williams will leave Buffalo without signing and has scheduled a visit with at least one other team, Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports.

So Williams, this year’s top free agent outside Peyton Manning, will continue to look around. What we don’t know is whether his decision to leave Buffalo is an indication that he didn’t like Buffalo’s financial offer, that he didn’t like what he heard from the Bills’ football people, or if he simply wants to take his time and weigh other offers.

Among the teams that are reportedly still hoping to get an audience with Williams are the Bears and the Titans. Some team will almost certainly make Williams the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history, and that team might be the Bills. But it won’t be today.

Pantherstang84
03-13-2012, 10:29 PM
per Jason La Canfora

So ixnay on Uffalobay. Hmmmm. Maybe it is not just about the $$$$$$$. You have to think the reason Rosenhouse took him there was because they were making the biggest offer.

gafftop
03-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Maybe Mario finding out he is not as highly sought after as he thought. Either that are they are including incentives that have to do with him actually having to play.

Whatever he decides I hope it is soon because I am beginning to think Smith is sitting on his hands waiting for Mario to decide. Last year he pulled the trigger and got both JJ and Manning and did not get caught holding the bag waiting for Aso. Hopefully he does the same thing this year.

leebigeztx
03-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Im not sure why you'd pay that with all of the guys needing contracts next year..Cushing, Brown, etc. I just don't see that much ovr the next 3 years.

44m to a high revenue team like houston is different than 44m to buffalo or jaguars.Why? Signing bonus. I've detailed this many times and this was part of the cba fight. Large revenue vs small revenue. Of that 44m guarantee, mcnair can can give him a 36m check in the form of a signing bonus. Spread the 36 over 6yrs, 6m per yr and a 3m salary for this yr. That 39m in his pocket this yr and a 9m cap charge. In yr 2, 6m salry,12m cap charge, that. 45m in the 1st 2 yrs of the deal. Yr 3 would be another 6m, 12m cap charge, 57m in 1st 3yrs of deal. The rest is funny money, but u get the picture.

Brisco_County
03-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Whatever he decides I hope it is soon because I am beginning to think Smith is sitting on his hands waiting for Mario to decide. Last year he pulled the trigger and got both JJ and Manning and did not get caught holding the bag waiting for Aso. Hopefully he does the same thing this year.

Good point. Smith has proven that inaction is no reason to panic. He earned a lot of benefit of the doubt after last season.

Lucky
03-13-2012, 10:55 PM
So ixnay on Uffalobay. Hmmmm. Maybe it is not just about the $$$$$$$. You have to think the reason Rosenhouse took him there was because they were making the biggest offer.
Williams' agent is Ben Dogra. But, I'm sure you're right that Buffalo is setting the bar.

Maybe Mario finding out he is not as highly sought after as he thought.
Huh? It's rumored that Williams is being offered the largest contract ever for a defender.

Norg
03-13-2012, 11:02 PM
my dad just said mario was traded to the bills he was watching ABC 13 news prob or NFLN i was like Wut then checked NFL.com nothing WTF is going on LOL

jaayteetx
03-13-2012, 11:05 PM
A follow up on that as well.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/13/report-mario-williams-leaving-buffalo-without-signing-will-visit-others/

I liked buffalo, Tack land, ugh...

Texecutioner
03-13-2012, 11:11 PM
I don't know if anyone has referenced this, but this has a feel of when Beltran left Houston. I don't think there's any way Mario's going to be able to live up to the expectations much like Beltran wasn't able to. He'll be a pretty good player for them much like Carlos was for the Mets, but I'm not sure he'll come close to meeting the expectations that are about to come with the monstrous contract he's about to sign.

I'm in the camp that can't blame him for taking the money, but he's in for a rude awakening heading to Buffalo. I don't think the 2 cities could be any more different. If that's what he decides to do then I'll hope that he excels. He's a good guy and handled all of the criticism that was thrown his way after the draft in a 1st class manner.

If he is going to Buffalo, than he knows exactly what he is getting into. He is getting into a huge pay day on a team that will most likely not contend for a while. He'll be after a huge pay day, and that is fine. I can't blame him. It won't be a surprise either, because Mario likes Lambo's, he likes to party, and he'll be able to do a lot of that even more once he gets another huge contract that is inflated. I can't knock him one bit for wanting to get his money though. Fans that moan about that are so out of touch to me. I felt no differently about Beltran and still love that guy for what he did in the post season in Houston even until this day. He was a total stud for the few months that he was here. the majority of athletes biggest motivation will always be money.

Norg
03-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Mario agent is trying to wait and Find da highest bidder ............ Hes good has gone guyz LOL

Looks like Mario is trying to get Dat Payday and could care less about staying with the texans

hot pickle
03-14-2012, 01:31 AM
He'll be playing some games in Canada. You can still go watch him play!

Yeah, man. 90 mill buys you a TON of lambos. For sure.

thats in toronto lol houston is closer to me than toronto is. who wants to watch the bills anyways lol

:texan:

The Cush
03-14-2012, 01:34 AM
Maybe Mario finding out he is not as highly sought after as he thought.

You don't offer the guy 90 plus million if you don't think other teams are going to come after him hard.

fiasco west
03-14-2012, 01:51 AM
All I know is he better not sign with the Titans OR Jaguars.

TheMatrix31
03-14-2012, 02:03 AM
If he does, seriously **** him.

MojoX
03-14-2012, 02:10 AM
If he does, seriously **** him.

Naww, I don't blame him. It is a brutal sport. The man should get paid while he can, before his body gives out. I'll pull for the guy every down he isn't lining up against the Texans.

Ryan
03-14-2012, 02:22 AM
Are teams that desperate for a near elite/injury prone pass rusher that they are going to offer him the highest contract for a defensive player ever? I think these national guys are just spewing stuff. Mario is good, but he's not even close to the good Peppers is/was when he hit the open market.

The Cush
03-14-2012, 02:32 AM
Are teams that desperate for a near elite/injury prone pass rusher that they are going to offer him the highest contract for a defensive player ever? I think these national guys are just spewing stuff. Mario is good, but he's not even close to the good Peppers is/was when he hit the open market.

Peppers was 30 when he signed that contract, Mario is 27 the age when players are suppose to be in their prime.

TheMatrix31
03-14-2012, 04:45 AM
Naww, I don't blame him. It is a brutal sport. The man should get paid while he can, before his body gives out. I'll pull for the guy every down he isn't lining up against the Texans.

If you root for anyone on the Jaguars or the Titans....that's sick. Let alone a guy like Mario Williams, with his history here.

Him going to Jacksoffville or Tennessee is treasonous.

thunderkyss
03-14-2012, 04:57 AM
He's gonna freeze his azzzzz off,

BUT, MONEY seems to be more important to some of these guys these days

I know he's more than likely not coming back to Houston, the money is going to be insane. But, just because he is visiting Buffalo, doesn't mean he's going to Buffalo.

I also don't know why we would think Buffalo has no shot. They were one of the hottest things going last year. & we were one of the worst the year before, & so was the 49ers & Detroit.

If Mario is only a piece of what they've got planned for this off-season, who knows what they'll be able to acomplish?

thunderkyss
03-14-2012, 05:05 AM

It was probably more for the free lunch.

HoustonFrog
03-14-2012, 06:11 AM
I know he's more than likely not coming back to Houston, the money is going to be insane. But, just because he is visiting Buffalo, doesn't mean he's going to Buffalo.

I also don't know why we would think Buffalo has no shot. They were one of the hottest things going last year. & we were one of the worst the year before, & so was the 49ers & Detroit.

If Mario is only a piece of what they've got planned for this off-season, who knows what they'll be able to acomplish?

Agree. Buffalo started hot last year. They have some talent on O and a young, aggressive D. Their issue is that division but I see no reason why they can't jump up like all the other teams that have.

arb729
03-14-2012, 09:17 AM
If he is going to Buffalo, than he knows exactly what he is getting into. He is getting into a huge pay day on a team that will most likely not contend for a while. He'll be after a huge pay day, and that is fine. I can't blame him. It won't be a surprise either, because Mario likes Lambo's, he likes to party, and he'll be able to do a lot of that even more once he gets another huge contract that is inflated. I can't knock him one bit for wanting to get his money though. Fans that moan about that are so out of touch to me. I felt no differently about Beltran and still love that guy for what he did in the post season in Houston even until this day. He was a total stud for the few months that he was here. the majority of athletes biggest motivation will always be money.

The majority of humanity, you mean.

HoustonFrog
03-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Just heard Mario is taking physical in Buffalo..wouldn't let him leave

Señor Stan
03-14-2012, 09:46 AM

Mario can use any coordinating Red White and Blue man purses that he has because the team colors are basically the same. So he has that going for him.

The1ApplePie
03-14-2012, 10:12 AM

Mario isn't Peppers or D-Ware, but he has the potential to be.

He could also spend the majority of his time injured.

He's going to get overpaid in a massive way, but that always happens in free agency.

GP
03-14-2012, 10:14 AM

That's a huge step if he's taking a physical. That means it's to the point that IF he passes the physical...a contract gets slapped on the table and he signs it. OR, he's already signed it but there is a clause that it gets voided if he fails a physical.

And folks, he ain't gonna' fail their physical. If they want him bad enough, they'll overlook a few things. No doubt about it. With the money they're putting down on him, they want him THAT badly...he won't fail the physical.

False Start
03-14-2012, 10:20 AM
I cant knock him for taking the most money, but damn he may never get to play in a playoff game if the Balls dont make some big strides here in the next few seasons. It sucks that he went to another team, I have always been a Mario fan, but the Bills? :mcnugget:

GP
03-14-2012, 10:28 AM
JJ Watt will become the big man on Reliant's campus if Bills sign Mario.

He's a vocal leader, he leads from wayyyy out front (just like he did in college), and he went beast mode in the last half of the season and in the playoffs. Hell, he was going bonkers on the Colts all by himself...he was freaking EVERYWHERE all at once but got screwed by the refs.

Defense will be fine. We didn't have the money or the cap space to keep Mario anyways. So we have no choice in the matter. 2011 marked, IMO, a whole new charted course for the Texans--It is a bit spooky how Mario is hurt and lost for the season, but the defense grew stronger each week afterward. The defense outgrew him. Going to the Bills is a good move for more than just one reason.

thunderkyss
03-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Mario isn't Peppers or D-Ware, but he has the potential to be.

He could also spend the majority of his time injured.

Mario accounts for a similar percentage of our teams sacks as those guys... so yeah, he's a Peppers or Ware.

As far as the injury thing goes, I really don't think that will be a problem, he's about to enter his physical prime.

Blake
03-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Paul Peck ‏ @PeckOnSports
Just saw #Mario Williams at airport. Told me he's here to pick up fiance. Asked what that means. "We'll see."

Paul Peck ‏ @PeckOnSports
#Mario Williams leaves airport with fiance 10 minutes ago. Headed back to Stadium. Probably good sign.

test

HOU-TEX
03-14-2012, 11:24 AM
test

In Buffalo? Or H-town?

thunderkyss
03-14-2012, 11:25 AM
We didn't have the money or the cap space to keep Mario anyways. So we have no choice in the matter.

I think there are a few guys here who are raising the red flag this statement points to. Albeit they are saying if we spend the money on Mario Williams, we would be hamstrung as an organization in the future.

HeLLo we are hamstrung now, which tells me that something went wrong. We made bad assumptions, we're paying someone too much.... something.

A week ago, we were thinking we're going into the draft looking at BPA, using FA to add the finishing touches to a potent Super Bowl contender.

Now, we're trying to piece-meal an offensive line in front of the best RB in the NFL.

When we were mediocre, it didn't matter. he could mess up & chances were we'd still be mediocre. Mess up now, & it's a whole other ballgame.

We only thought the 2011 off-season was Rick Smith's most important.

2011 marked, IMO, a whole new charted course for the Texans--It is a bit spooky how Mario is hurt and lost for the season, but the defense grew stronger each week afterward. The defense outgrew him. Going to the Bills is a good move for more than just one reason.

Sell it however you want, whatever makes you feel good. We've just lost the second #1 overall pick in a draft, with no compensation, for the second time in 5 years.

Think about that.

That is of course if he doesn't come back, stranger things have happened.

False Start
03-14-2012, 11:25 AM
I just cant believe that Mario is gonna be a Buffalo Ball. :kitten:

Blake
03-14-2012, 11:26 AM
In Buffalo? Or H-town?

Buffalo.

@PeckOnSports
Sportscaster at WIVB-TV in Buffalo. I've been covering sports in WNY for 23 years. Also the radio voice of University at Buffalo football.

False Start
03-14-2012, 11:26 AM
test

You might have to change your user name to Super Watt, lol.

Blake
03-14-2012, 11:27 AM

haha no ****. I have one in reserve already.

HOU-TEX
03-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Buffalo.

Oh well, at least he's not in our division if he ain't going to be with us....Now, if we can just keep Manning from going to the toupee's

Blake
03-14-2012, 11:29 AM
@ProFootballTalk
League source on whether Mario Williams deal is done with Bills: "Absolutely not."

twitter

Texan_Bill
03-14-2012, 11:33 AM

He wouldn't if we pick up Mario Manningham. :fingergun:

03-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Sell it however you want, whatever makes you feel good. We've just lost the second #1 overall pick in a draft, with no compensation, for the second time in 5 years.

Think about that.

dude, are you really comparing those two picks? there's a reason we didn't get any compensation for carr... he sucks. we're most likely losing mario because we literally can't afford to keep him. apples and oranges...

False Start
03-14-2012, 11:37 AM
He wouldn't if we pick up Mario Manningham. :fingergun:

That would be nice, but I dont think so. The odds of that happening are about as good as "Hope and Change." ;)

thunderkyss
03-14-2012, 12:06 PM

Are you saying that's what the Texans offered?

If that's true, then they offered him the top of my limit. $14M/yr & he still walked.

Sounds like he didn't want to be a Texan, & it's about the money. No way he should walk on $14M/yr thinking the Texans aren't being "fair"

That is of course if that is what you are saying & what the Texans offered him.

thunderkyss
03-14-2012, 12:20 PM

That money has little to do with signing Cushing, Brown, etc... next year. It all depends on how they structure it.

They can give him a $35M bonus over a 5 year contract. with a $1M escalating salary.... his cap hit for the first year would be $8M (same as Demeco & Antonio) for 2012 & increase according to the escalating salary every year after that.

2013 should be another tight year, but after that, the cap will go up.

Texan_Bill
03-14-2012, 02:01 PM

If that's true, then they offered him the top of my limit. $14M/yr & he still walked.

Sounds like he didn't want to be a Texan, & it's about the money. No way he should walk on $14M/yr thinking the Texans aren't being "fair"

Don't be so sure. He brought his Fiance to Buffalo. Once she gets a load of that place, Buffalo will be crossed off the list. :evil:

thunderkyss
03-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Don't be so sure. He brought his Fiance to Buffalo. Once she gets a load of that place, Buffalo will be crossed off the list. :evil:

Buffalo is purdy country.......

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/photos/DavesHouse_5.jpg

..... if you're into that sort of thing.

Mr teX
03-14-2012, 02:51 PM

Mario should've been signed by now..as he was the top defensive FA & those guys usually go fast so i think something is up & he's still considering Houston imo.

& dont think necessarily like the bolded. Him "walking" might've just been the texans being classy.

After the FO made their pitch to him contract wise, they might've said "look, we don't want you to feel like we're trying to low-ball you or anything & this close to the deadline, it makes no sense for us to try to keep you from finding out what is potentially out there for you. Why don't you go, take a few visits and see what's out there for ya.." just do us a courtesy before you sign anywhere else give us a call to see if we'd like to match.."

The same proposition was likely given to meyers as well b/c he hasn't signed either...ln fact none of our FA's have signed yet.

It's smart by the FO b/c it generates good will with the player & at the same time they & he know they don't really need him.... they'd damn sure would like to have him back though. Too many times players hit FA thinking that the FO is trying to screw them over which almost guarantees that they're leaving. The Texans went about it the opposite way.

The FO is playing possum imo...trying to hide what they offered these guys b/c then it gives these other teams something to shoot for.

fiasco west
03-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Mario should've been signed by now..as he was the top defensive FA & those guys usually go fast so i think something is up & he's still considering Houston imo.

& dont think necessarily like the bolded. Him "walking" might've just been the texans being classy.

After the FO made their pitch to him contract wise, they might've said "look, we don't want you to feel like we're trying to low-ball you or anything & this close to the deadline, it makes no sense for us to try to keep you from finding out what is potentially out there for you. Why don't you go, take a few visits and see what's out there for ya.." just do us a courtesy before you sign anywhere else give us a call to see if we'd like to match.."

The same proposition was likely given to meyers as well b/c he hasn't signed either.

The FO is playing possum imo...trying to hide what they offered these guys b/c then it gives these other teams something to shoot for.

Kuharsky has suggested that the Texans FO has already had their offer on the table and reading into what Mcnair said recently about "We want Mario back but we are working on a limit." tells me they have probably made a offer to him.

If I were to guess, it's probably between Buffalo and Houston. They were saying he would visit another team today but he's still in Buffalo and has flown his Fiance up there with him so I guess we'll see.

Hopefully he'll make his decision soon whatever it may be because he's leaving the Texans waiting around for it.

Blake
03-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Buffalo is purdy country.......

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/photos/DavesHouse_5.jpg

..... if you're into that sort of thing.

Maybe someone can market him a snowghini.

Mr teX
03-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Kuharsky has suggested that the Texans FO has already had their offer on the table and reading into what Mcnair said recently about "We want Mario back but we are working on a limit." tells me they have probably made a offer to him.

If I were to guess, it's probably between Buffalo and Houston. They were saying he would visit another team today but he's still in Buffalo and has flown his Fiance up there with him so I guess we'll see.

Hopefully he'll make his decision soon whatever it may be because he's leaving the Texans waiting around for it.

i'm sure the FO has a time limit on all this...probably another day or so. Kinda like the Aso/JJ thing. If you recall all that, There was talk for about 1-2 days where we heard we were going hard after Aso. Then, almost instantly we heard we signed JJ and we were out of the Aso sweepstakes. The FO decided that they'd had enough of jockeying for position & didn't want to lose out on the other guy they targeted.

Him taking the trip up to buffalo was probably strongly recommended to him by his agent just to hold the Texans FO up to their offer....and to see if Buffalo would offer even more money to him...we should know something by tonite...at the latest tommorrow afternoon.

thunderkyss
03-14-2012, 03:56 PM
If you were Mario, & the Texans offered you $44M guaranteed over the first three years of a contract & the Bills offered you $50M.... all other things being equal, who would you chose?

Trap_Star
03-14-2012, 04:03 PM
If you were Mario, & the Texans offered you $44M guaranteed over the first three years of a contract & the Bills offered you $50M.... all other things being equal, who would you chose?

if i'm legitimately about winning, texans.....plus houston has awesome stripclubs.

Dutchrudder
03-14-2012, 04:05 PM

It all depends on the structure and partially on the total value of the deal. I'll bet Mario didn't think he would earn that 18.3 million in 2011 when he signed his contract five years ago, but he did.

leebigeztx
03-14-2012, 04:07 PM

The same proposition was likely given to meyers as well b/c he hasn't signed either...ln fact none of our FA's have signed yet.

It's smart by the FO b/c it generates good will with the player & at the same time they & he know they don't really need him.... they'd damn sure would like to have him back though. Too many times players hit FA thinking that the FO is trying to screw them over which almost guarantees that they're leaving. The Texans went about it the opposite way.

Exactly. Its what ozzie newsome does in baltimore. He let's guys look around and they give him a chance to match.

thunderkyss
03-14-2012, 04:08 PM
It all depends on the structure and partially on the total value of the deal. I'll bet Mario didn't think he would earn that 18.3 million in 2011 when he signed his contract five years ago, but he did.

Let's say everything else is equal for this exercise. The only difference is the guaranteed amount.

I know that isn't very likely, just asking.

Pantherstang84
03-14-2012, 04:08 PM
If he is going to sign with Buffalo then go ahead and do it and quit with the dang charades. He is holding the Texans hostage with the little games he is playing with the Bills.

This is really starting to piss me off. Cash your damn check already Mario.

leebigeztx
03-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Mario is about to hop on that plane and come sign his deal.

ChampionTexan
03-14-2012, 06:05 PM

Not According to the Bills:

Mario Williams has left 1 Bills Drive for the evening. He plans to stay in Buffalo for the evening and return to 1 Bills Drive in the am.

LINK (https://twitter.com/#!/buffalobills/status/180063900476260352)

Vinny
03-14-2012, 06:06 PM

LINK (https://twitter.com/#!/buffalobills/status/180063900476260352)staying another night? He's done.

Kimmy
03-14-2012, 06:07 PM
I wish he would make a freaking decision! We have money set aside and until he signs somewhere else, we aren't doing anything in the way of signing someone for ourselves.

TexCanada
03-14-2012, 06:23 PM
I wish he would make a freaking decision! We have money set aside and until he signs somewhere else, we aren't doing anything in the way of signing someone for ourselves.

I would rather we just moved on and do our own thing anyway, like we did with JoJo instead of Aso. If Mario wants to screw us around then he can enjoy the rest of his career in Buffalo. I hear Lamborghinis handle really well on ice.

DerekLee1
03-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Don't forget that 7% state income tax in NY.

Pantherstang84
03-14-2012, 06:30 PM

LINK (https://twitter.com/#!/buffalobills/status/180063900476260352)

Or....

Maybe he told them he would be back in the morning but plans to sneak out on the red eye. lol

Pantherstang84
03-14-2012, 06:32 PM
I would rather we just moved on and do our own thing anyway, like we did with JoJo instead of Aso. If Mario wants to screw us around then he can enjoy the rest of his career in Buffalo. I hear Lamborghinis handle really well on ice.

Me too. Just move on already and use his money to lock up Meyers and Briesel.

Ryan
03-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Don't forget that 7% state income tax in NY.

Lol this reminds me so much of the Beltran situation now.

Kimmy
03-14-2012, 06:36 PM

Until the FA's that we want back sign, I don't expect us to do anything.

Texan_Bill
03-14-2012, 06:58 PM
if i'm legitimately about winning, texans.....plus houston has awesome stripclubs.

This is FACT!!!

BTW, get out of my head jackass!! :D

ObsiWan
03-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Let's seeee...

We've done depression, anger, and bargaining...
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6mWci8Glsy6oobQQ58hFDDqF_GF2Ym Zfv8975tMYvquhQs2ps
What's left....??

fiasco west
03-14-2012, 07:36 PM
If he is going to sign with Buffalo then go ahead and do it and quit with the dang charades. He is holding the Texans hostage with the little games he is playing with the Bills.

This is really starting to piss me off. Cash your damn check already Mario.

I think Myers will not make a move until Mario does at least. I think Myers first choice is Houston and I hope both sides will wait this out.

I just hope he's not pulling a Aso and plans to make his decision tomorrow and not at the last moment.

Mr teX
03-14-2012, 07:46 PM

1) We likely weren't going to be a big player in FA this year so don't get panicky about all these big name FA's signing elsewhere, they likely weren't on our radar to begin with.

2) Trust....the FO isn't letting the situation with Mario hold up negotiations with Meyers & Brisiel; if those guys wanted to be here signed & under contract, they'd be here already as i'm sure the FO has offers on the table for them as well.

Those guys just want more. We know what Meyers is reportedly after & frankly, Im not surprised as his agent is Drew Rosenhaus...dude is notorious for being difficult to work with. Brisiel, well he was probably on the outside looking in to begin with & we don't have any indication that the FO is even looking in his direction.

So what do you think the FO should do? do you think they should just overpay Meyers & Brisiel out of sheer fear of losing them?

3) Whatevers here in FA after all the dust settles from all these big time FA's moving around is likely going to be there in the upcoming weeks.

There's not exactly a whole lot left out there at this point for us to sign now anyway. Noone that's going to make an instant impact on our team anyway.

All of the quality FA WR's have been signed except for Manningham & Doucet.....

& the OL FA pool wasn't all that great to begin with.

mussop
03-14-2012, 08:19 PM

Only if they would of listened to Pat Kirwin. :chickendance:

When interviewed, Kyle Williams who escorted Mario around said in talking to Mario Williams he asked what Mario was looking for and Mario said "I just want to be a piece of the puzzle that helps a team get over the hump".

Does that sound like he wants to fly home and sign a contract with us?

Texan_Bill
03-14-2012, 08:38 PM

When interviewed, Kyle Williams who escorted Mario around said in talking to Mario Williams he asked what Mario was looking for and Mario said "I just want to be a piece of the puzzle that helps a team get over the hump".

Well yeah, up until he hears that his (ex-team's) offense could potentially lose 60% of the offensive line. I'd have teams courting me too.

Mr teX
03-14-2012, 08:40 PM

Uh, yeah it actually kinda does. Dude has always come off as a team player. I dont think he's ever looked to be "the man".

One things for sure, it's a helluva lot more tame than saying something like " i'm trying to get all i can". Or "pay me rick". Or in this case "ralph"

Pantherstang84
03-14-2012, 09:03 PM
This little gem just popped up on Twitter:

Lmao RT @LukeRussert: My mom breaking news? RT: @LukeRsmom #Bills fans, Mario was at my hotel the (cont) tl.gd/ge9ovm
8:53 PM Wed Mar 14 2012

Click the link in the tweet.

toxictrix
03-14-2012, 09:06 PM
He snuck away!

redwhiteblue
03-14-2012, 09:06 PM

Sorry Mario, I am a huge fan, but you don't get to be a "piece of the puzzle" and get $50million guaranteed. If you want to be the highest paid defensive player, you have to be THE MAN. That is why you should come back to Houston for $8million a year and just be a man in the shadows and JJ Watt can do all the interviews and spotlight for you.

Pantherstang84
03-14-2012, 09:08 PM
He snuck away!

I was just joking about the redeye post.

kingh99
03-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Everyone wringing their hands over the lack of Texans movement need to understand they are negotiating from a position of strength. McNair's assembled first class coaching talent now, and coaching is key in the NFL.

Having said all that, nothing happens until Mario's off the board. And he's probably gone, because my travels up north have taught me ESPN has that part of the country believing Mario Williams is an all time proverbial "beast". Seriously, you wouldn't believe it. People gush over this guy based on his ESPN hilight ragdolling Roethlisberger.