PDA

View Full Version : Mario movement rumors (MERGED) Signs with Buffalo $100 million

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]

Ole Miss Texan
03-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Mario Williams ‏ @bbwolf90

Thanks to all the real Texan fans out there. It has been a great ride for six years and I wish the team the very best. Much love to the

Players, coaches and staff. It is unfortunate to have to leave such a great place due to salary cap constraints and other intentions.

It is very fortunate to have the memories, sweat, blood and tears with the guys in that organization and now the opportunity to be apart of

The bills franchise and begin the drive down the road this city and people deserve. I will always love my true Texans out there and a piece

Of my heart will always remain with you and to all other bandwagon fans out there remember be careful what you say. I will see you all Either way very soon! #childsplay. GO BILLS
I always liked Mario. But I don't like how he alludes to "real" Texan fans and mentions "bandwagon fans". I think it's time to put all that away and be a bigger man. Am I reading that wrong? I just think he doesn't have to mention that sort of stuff. Sounds petty.

Blake
03-15-2012, 02:51 PM

Thanks to all the real Texan fans out there. It has been a great ride for six years and I wish the team the very best. Much love to the

Players, coaches and staff. It is unfortunate to have to leave such a great place due to salary cap constraints and other intentions.

It is very fortunate to have the memories, sweat, blood and tears with the guys in that organization and now the opportunity to be apart of

The bills franchise and begin the drive down the road this city and people deserve. I will always love my true Texans out there and a piece

Of my heart will always remain with you and to all other bandwagon fans out there remember be careful what you say. I will see you all Either way very soon! #childsplay. GO BILLS

#1, wasnt mario's twitter handle superjit90 a while ago?

#2, this account isnt even marked as official. And other players posting to it doesnt make it official. They make mistakes too.

GP
03-15-2012, 02:51 PM
so basically what you're saying is only the big teams should sign the big FA's?

couldnt signing a couple marquee FA's help transform buffalo into a not so 'poor market' team?

Yes, because if they cannot generate the revenues to be self-sustaining...then why should they receive the ability to acquire top talent????

Alas, we love to prop up losers in this society anyways. It's a disease of political proportions, which is for another discussion in another forum.

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 02:54 PM
#1, wasnt mario's twitter handle superjit90 a while ago?

#2, this account isnt even marked as official. And other players posting to it doesnt make it official. They make mistakes too.

Yeah, could be fake, I dunno. I would hope guys like Antonio, Glover and Shaun are smart enough to spot a fake.

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Meanwhile at DaleMurphy's house...

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/1296870506_randymarshjizz.jpg

Cjeremy635
03-15-2012, 02:56 PM
The press conference appears to be delayed. They probably had to fire their entire IT department to help pay the dude's contract. Nothing like Buffalo.....:smiliepalm:

GP
03-15-2012, 02:57 PM
"To the bandwagon fans...." ???? Huh? I don't get that.

"be careful what you [bandwagon fans] say" ???

LOL. I don't think he's very smart. Everything but that was acceptable, but why put that bit in there? Odd. Then again, there is some doubt that this was really him. So, oh well.

My allegiance is with the Texans. Yeah, big whoop you used to play for us. I won't slobber all over you just because you used to play here. 31 enemies of the Texans, and you just became one even if for only a few minutes per year in the reg season.

I ain't jealous. Just saying that the TEXANS are my team. And if you play here, I'm on your side...even if you're Kareem Jackson. KJ is one of us. Steppers get to steppin', I love my Texans.

Nawzer
03-15-2012, 02:58 PM
The press conference appears to be delayed. They probably had to fire their entire IT department to help pay the dude's contract. Nothing like Buffalo.....:smiliepalm:

They're probably still running 56k modem. When you hear "Eeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhcchchchchchchchchchchchccchhh", you'll know it's about to come on.

False Start
03-15-2012, 02:58 PM
After reading that, it kind of aggravates me, if it is real.Why did he have to throw the bandwagon fan thing in there?

BIG TORO
03-15-2012, 03:00 PM
I always liked Mario. But I don't like how he alludes to "real" Texan fans and mentions "bandwagon fans". I think it's time to put all that away and be a bigger man. Am I reading that wrong? I just think he doesn't have to mention that sort of stuff. Sounds petty.

Thats the same thing I was thinking.

Blake
03-15-2012, 03:00 PM
After reading that, it kind of aggravates me, if it is real.Why did he have to throw the bandwagon fan thing in there?

If you read his old tweets, and there were like 3 total, you would be VERY cautious. This isnt like mario to tweet alot and say much of anything. My money is on fake and Antonio and Ryans need to wise up.

Texan4Ever
03-15-2012, 03:01 PM
^ Yuck!

As for Mario, I'm glad he is getting paid and hopefully he can dominate as a Bill and turn that franchise around. I still remember that Denver game with Cutler (I think) running for his life.

Would love for him to do the same to Mark Sanchez!

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 03:01 PM
"To the bandwagon fans...." ???? Huh? I don't get that.

"be careful what you [bandwagon fans] say" ???

LOL. I don't think he's very smart. Everything but that was acceptable, but why put that bit in there? Odd. Then again, there is some doubt that this was really him. So, oh well.

My allegiance is with the Texans. Yeah, big whoop you used to play for us. I won't slobber all over you just because you used to play here. 31 enemies of the Texans, and you just became one even if for only a few minutes per year in the reg season.

I ain't jealous. Just saying that the TEXANS are my team. And if you play here, I'm on your side...even if you're Kareem Jackson. KJ is one of us. Steppers get to stepping', I love my Texans.

I believe he means "Mario bandwagon" fans. The people who now hate him because he left the Texans. The people who now hope he fails miserably in Buffalo, breaks his legs, or hope he dies in a car wreck. I'm sure there are plenty of those sorts on Twitter.

False Start
03-15-2012, 03:05 PM
If you read his old tweets, and there were like 3 total, you would be VERY cautious. This isnt like mario to tweet alot and say much of anything. My money is on fake and Antonio and Ryans need to wise up.

Yeah, good point. He hardly ever tweets. :thinking:

GP
03-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Hey Mario, I'm not a bandwagon fan. I'm still here. But YOU aren't.

Isn't that funny how that happens? I guess I haven't been able to find a team who would make me a fan for more than what the Texans are paying me.

Since you are able to distinguish and label what a real fan is vs. a bandwagon fan, let me be as careful as I can (per your advice) in what I say next....

Ahem, (clears throat)....Eff. You.

I hope that was carefully worded. By the way, a lot of us real fans and even some bandwagon fans, and every kind of fan in between, actually are glad that you got to test free agency and get what you could get. A healthy 90% of Texans fans understood the situation.

In summation: (1) We're still here but you ARE NOT, (2) Eff You, and (C) See number 2.

GP
03-15-2012, 03:09 PM
I believe he means "Mario bandwagon" fans. The people who now hate him because he left the Texans. The people who now hope he fails miserably in Buffalo, breaks his legs, or hope he dies in a car wreck. I'm sure there are plenty of those sorts on Twitter.

Then why doesn't he spend the extra two letters, and M and a Y, and say "MY fans" instead of lumping all Texans in as either bandwagon or real?

This is why I say that IF this is really him, then he's dumber than a bag of hammers. You're on your way out, stay classy the whole way...don't impress me with class and dignity and then throw in the awkward sentence that's out of place.

I doubt this him, actually. But if it is, then he's as crazy as a soup sandwich. It doesn't seem like him, but if it is then he showed some bad P.R. there. IMO.

Maddict5
03-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Yes, because if they cannot generate the revenues to be self-sustaining...then why should they receive the ability to acquire top talent????

Alas, we love to prop up losers in this society anyways. It's a disease of political proportions, which is for another discussion in another forum.

so whats your solution?

5/6 teams in each of the big markets? baseball model of 4/5 teams and the rest are filler?

im gonna go out on a limb and say the nfl's popularity dies if they take your advice

Maddict5
03-15-2012, 03:16 PM

much like moving a thread about a texans playerto the nfl section the moment they sign for another team?

dont get me wrong. i personally dont give a **** but it def comes across as a very butthurt move

Señor Stan
03-15-2012, 03:17 PM

I think he has never really gotten over the whole Reggie Bush / VY fiasco when he was first drafted. He always said the right things when he was here, but I think some of the resentment is coming through a bit.

badboy
03-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Who?

Cjeremy635
03-15-2012, 03:19 PM

Well, that's just absurd. I wouldn't wish ill will on the guy at all. To me, it's a mutual separation. He wanted more than we thought he was worth. Good on him for being a free agent at the right time. They say timing is everything, and his was superb. Again, I don't wish the guy any harm, I just don't think he's worth anything close to that $100 million contract. He's a guy that is full of potential....and that's about it. He has all of the intangibles that you could ever want in a player, they just never translated to the field with any sort of regularity.

The1ApplePie
03-15-2012, 03:22 PM
He's gonna get David Carr'd by the fanbase.:whistles:

Double Barrel
03-15-2012, 03:22 PM
I root for the uniform, and since Mario no longer sports the Texans logo, he is nothing to me now.

"Good luck" as a Bills, Mario, and enjoy the weather. :BananaWav

Señor Stan
03-15-2012, 03:26 PM
My prediction on Mario's legacy.

He will be the NFL player to earn the most money without ever appearing in a playoff game. Book it.

Señor Stan
03-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Well, that's just absurd. I wouldn't wish ill will on the guy at all. To me, it's a mutual separation. He wanted more than we thought he was worth. Good on him for being a free agent at the right time. They say timing is everything, and his was superb. Again, I don't wish the guy any harm, I just don't think he's worth anything close to that $100 million contract. He's a guy that is full of potential....and that's about it. He has all of the intangibles that you could ever want in a player, they just never translated to the field with any sort of regularity.

That speaks volumes right there. If after 6 seasons, we are still talking about potential...that's a problem.

GP
03-15-2012, 03:27 PM

Depends on what his mouth sputters when he's interviewed.

Is he plays it cool, I'm fine with it. If he acts like David Carr and runs his mouth the first chance he gets, then he's a dyck. Simple.

Vinny
03-15-2012, 03:34 PM
He'll play well...till he gets hurt. Mario will find out its harder to stand around on the sideline in his shorts when its -5 degrees on the sideline though.

Señor Stan
03-15-2012, 03:39 PM
We're going to need some banner updates round here...

Cjeremy635
03-15-2012, 03:40 PM
He'll play well...till he gets hurt. Mario will find out its harder to stand around on the sideline in his shorts when its -5 degrees on the sideline though.

I think they'll turn on him in a heartbeat if he's injured like usual. NY is a different part of the country. Those people a little more forthcoming with the comments up there.

Doppelganger
03-15-2012, 03:41 PM

He'll b reunited with his old NC State teammate John McCargo and will have Marcus Stroud (at least at this point) as the other DE. He expect him to get a bunch of sacks and QB hurries but he won't live up to his contract. The Bill fans are probably thinking they are getting Bruce Smith 2.0.

As you alluded, he is likely to continue to suffer some injuries. I wouldn't worry about him being cold on the sidelines though. For $50 million, he can buy some pants and a nice jacket :)

Doppelganger
03-15-2012, 03:43 PM
I think they'll turn on him in a heartbeat if he's injured like usual. NY is a different part of the country. Those people a little more forthcoming with the comments up there.

Well, Buffalo is Western New York, not New York City. Very different life and very different people. I imagine he will get a lot more leeway than had he been in NYC. Then again, $50 mill is a lot of cash.

dalemurphy
03-15-2012, 03:43 PM

You guys know what I thought of Mario... I certainly didn't want him brought back for anything near what the market would suggest.

Still, I wish him well. I hope he can stay healthy. I think he can be great, especially as a strong side 4-3 DE. I don't think he'll be consistently great, but I will root for him and be pleased if he's personally successful.

The bigger story to me is the discipline the Texans organization has shown and the confidence they have in what they are doing. The Texans not signing Mario is not an indictment on him (apparently they had a significant offer on the table). Simply put, he was offered an amazing deal and took it. Nobody should have a problem with it. Though these losses can sometimes hurt in the short term, the Texan organization got healthier today, IMO... or remained healthy (if that's a better way to look at it).

Cjeremy635
03-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Well, Buffalo is Western New York, not New York City. Very different life and very different people. I imagine he will get a lot more leeway than had he been in NYC. Then again, $50 mill is a lot of cash.

Yeah, but they have a history there. Granted, it's been a crappy one for a while, but those fans want to win and win now. You had better plan on winning "right now" if you're throwing out contracts like that too.

Doppelganger
03-15-2012, 03:45 PM
They're probably still running 56k modem. When you hear "Eeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhcchchchchchchchchchchchccchhh", you'll know it's about to come on.

You're giving them too much credit. They are still rockin the 14.4 on AOL!!!

AMartin56
03-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Holy Smokes...ESPN finally had someone that put the brakes to the Mario hype...Eric Mangini...points out Mario only had two seasons with double digit sacks...it was long ago...and he spent a good portion of the last two seasons on IR. Surpised to see Mangini of all people be the voice of reason but at least someone was finally reasonable on that BS network.

Doppelganger
03-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Yeah, but they have a history there. Granted, it's been a crappy one for a while, but those fans want to win and win now. You had better plan on winning "right now" if you're throwing out contracts like that too.

Yeah, the money is a big one, but hasn't the ownership been courting Toronto and playing a home game over there? Wouldn't surprise me to see them moving to Toronto in the near future.

GP
03-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Holy Smokes...ESPN finally had someone that put the brakes to the Mario hype...Eric Mangini...points out Mario only had two seasons with double digit sacks...it was long ago...and he spent a good portion of the last two seasons on IR. Surpised to see Mangini of all people be the voice of reason but at least someone was finally reasonable on that BS network.

Interesting. Thank you for posting that.

Good to know there's some "balance" going on. I would have figured everyone would be saying how foolish the Texans were for not having enough money to retain him.

SheTexan
03-15-2012, 04:18 PM

Sometimes speaking the truth does sound petty!! JMO!

fiasco west
03-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Press conference has begun.

Seems he is really into being loved, he keeps talking about how fans are embracing him there.

Hope he remembers he will be the first person to get the hate if the team starts to fail because he'll be the big contract guy...they are talking about him being a franchise changer. Lotta pressure...

sometexansfan
03-15-2012, 04:19 PM
At least we won't have to watch him try to run around a tackle, only to get pushed completely out of the way anymore.

TdotTexas2Step
03-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Not sure why some of us are sending out departure jabs at Mario.

Yes, he was frustrating at times, but he was also one of our better defensive players in our young history as the Texans. And though I didn't believe he would succeed at OLB, I was rooting for him, because when he did well, the Texans did well.

He chased money and chose Buffalo, and will be joining a young and exciting defense in Buffalo.

Good luck to him, except for when we play him, because when we do, I hope Foster gives him a two step, and leaves him on the ground.

fiasco west
03-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Press conference went out lol. At least for me it did.

Interesting that he said "This is football. You put me in a 4-3 defense and tell me to get the quarterback." or something very similar. Perhaps he didn't like Wade's defense all that much.

With that said I guess it is good to move on now, we can get a guy who can slot in at his position in the 3-4 that is more suited and not a project.

fiasco west
03-15-2012, 04:34 PM

Yes, he was frustrating at times, but he was also one of our better defensive players in our young history as the Texans. And though I didn't believe he would succeed at OLB, I was rooting for him, because when he did well, the Texans did well.

He chased money and chose Buffalo, and will be joining a young and exciting defense in Buffalo.

Good luck to him, except for when we play him, because when we do, I hope Foster gives him a two step, and leaves him on the ground.

Play the bills next season in fact they are coming here. Wonder what the reaction will be?

GP
03-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Play the bills next season in fact they are coming here. Wonder what the reaction will be?

Hmmm....

The reaction?

I think it depends on how he uses his mouth from this day forward. The fans will applaud him if he's been good to say the right things. If he uses little jabs, in interviews, or comes off LeBron'ish...he's going to get boo'd.

I think Bills vs. Texans will be the hot game that week. Everyone tuning in to see if Mario can sack the Texans QB (in our own stadium) and what impact he will have on us.

fiasco west
03-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Hmmm....

The reaction?

I think it depends on how he uses his mouth from this day forward. The fans will applaud him if he's been good to say the right things. If he uses little jabs, in interviews, or comes off LeBron'ish...he's going to get boo'd.

I think Bills vs. Texans will be the hot game that week. Everyone tuning in to see if Mario can sack the Texans QB (in our own stadium) and what impact he will have on us.

Heh, if we don't get that Oline shored back up that's going to be a easy task.

With that said though I have to admit I was bit disappointed to learn that Mario would not be a Texan anymore. I thought he would be one for the rest of his career but I have to ask myself, would I be disappointed if Cushing, Demeco, Andre, Foster, or Duane moved on?

No. I would be beyond furious if that happened. Right now I'm just curious.

How will we fill that spot? What are we going to do with that money? Are we still going to draft a WR in the first?

I'll have a watchful eye on the Bills situation, although I really can't see the Bills overtaking the Hoodie and his domination of that division. I mean even when his defense sucks he still manages to win. Even when his starting QB goes down he still manages to win... Mario has basically walked into the same situation (except we were much worse when we drafted him obviously) but the Bills will always try to get over that Patriot hump while the Texans have just got over that hump (unless Peyton signs in Tennessee...)

False Start
03-15-2012, 05:32 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/incoming/article764881.ece/BINARY/w620/williams.jpg

:(

Double Barrel
03-15-2012, 05:34 PM

You kind of answered your own question:

He chased money and chose Buffalo...

He's a mercenary and should expect to be treated accordingly.

I do not hate the guy in any sort of way, but why would I root for someone whose priority is money? I do not fault him for it, it's a career, it's business. But, by the same token, fans are loyal. That is the basic nature of being a fan. So when someone sells out their loyalty to the highest bidder, I do not see any reason to care about him any more.

Andre Johnson could have fled the Texans for lots more money many years ago. But, he's loyal. The Texans have certainly paid him, but in reality he could have made even more money as a free agent. His loyalty earns him eternal gratitude from the Texans faithful.

It's just the way fanaticism towards a uniform works.

AMartin56
03-15-2012, 05:44 PM
I just saw what I assume is only a portion of the press conference on NFL.com. And then more clips just now on ESPN.

I always find it amusing that a player will go on and one about the chemistry etc and the chance to accomplish something etc with his new team when he had that and a chance to achieve something with his old team. The money of course never gets mentioned. LOL

And then ESPN shows a clip where he said 'he wanted to be somewhere where everyone was honest from top to bottom'????. So does that mean the Texans are liars? Maybe about moving him to LB?

And then they played the Mangini slightly negative clip again. Mangina is my new hero.

Good luck Mario....I'm glad WE didn't over pay for you!

Ole Miss Texan
03-15-2012, 05:45 PM
You kind of answered your own question:

He's a mercenary and should expect to be treated accordingly.

I do not hate the guy in any sort of way, but why would I root for someone whose priority is money? I do not fault him for it, it's a career, it's business. But, by the same token, fans are loyal. That is the basic nature of being a fan. So when someone sells out their loyalty to the highest bidder, I do not see any reason to care about him any more.

Andre Johnson could have fled the Texans for lots more money many years ago. But, he's loyal. The Texans have certainly paid him, but in reality he could have made even more money as a free agent. His loyalty earns him eternal gratitude from the Texans faithful.

These guys are all mercenaries. The Andre Johnsons of the NFL are extremely extremely rare. These guys are being paid to play a sport and honestly, they only really owe one thing to the fans of the team they play for: work ethic. They have to work hard, play hard and fight hard for their team to win.

As much as I want them to all be loyal to us, I can't expect that from them. They're not lifelong Houstonians. They all grew up somewhere else, have family somewhere else and went to college somewhere else. Mario grew up in North Carolina, went to college at North Carolina St. and still has all his family back in North Carolina. Why must he be loyal to Houston just because we sucked so incredibly hard in 2005 and we drafted him #1 overall? These guys' contracts are usually for 4, 5, MAYBE 6 years if they're lucky. He played here 6 years and is moving on elsewhere. Will probably play in Buffalo for 4 years before they cut him for cap purposes and he ends up with Carolina or somewhere else.

These guys don't "owe" us their lifelong loyalty just because we drafted them. It's a business and the moment they are a liability we will kick them to the curb. See Eric Winston. If the franchise doesn't have to be career-loyal to the player we can't expect any different in return.

silentassassin
03-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Listened to an interview with their GM on their flagship station. He kind of took a shot at the Texans by mentioning that they told Mario what they wanted to do with him, and it wasn't having him play outside linebacker and dropping back in a zone a couple of times watching the ball being thrown to the other side. They wanted him to focus solely on rushing the quarterback.

Funny. Even funnier how excited the town is at landing him. I keep hearing mentions of how the money/contract was possible with any team willing to do it, but that there was something about the Bills that drove him to choose Buffalo. But from what I've seen so far, the Bills were the only team that were ready to give him that kind of money.

I always knew his departure was inevitable, but I always liked him here. It's annoying to see how much run he's getting now, as opposed to when he was a Texan. But I guess that's what comes with getting the richest contract for a defensive player.

thunderkyss
03-15-2012, 06:12 PM
seams like fans in buffalo are pretty excited.. idk, we loved mario here but something has to be said about the texans having the best defense they've ever had in their short history all while mario williams was sitting on the sidelines... people are even talking about how are we going to replace mario.. mario was replaced last year, watt took his position, and barwin took over his new position.. meanwhile this rookie by the name of brooks reed emerged as a monster of a pass rusher.. barwin/reed>mario

That's just so wrong.

Premier, I usually like your takes, because it's normally about football. This time, I think you're missing the boat. You know this team is better with Mario than without. We were #2 without Mario, may have been #1 with him. We don't know that... but it doesn't really matter.

Would we have gone further in the play-offs with him? Probably not. As the #1 defense didn't get out of the Wild-card round.

So like I said, it didn't matter. In 2011 anyway.

The team is better with Mario than without... period. Barwin, Reed & Mario is better than Barwin & Reed, which is what we are left with.

Don't take this as me being butt hurt that Mario is gone, it is what it is & we're going to have to move on. With Mario, this could have been one of the few years where pass rush wasn't a first day of the draft concern, & we could focus on BPA or the offensive side of the ball (which is in desperate need of a talent infusion).

Thankfully Wade is still here & he can (hopefully) make potato salad out of left overs like Kubiak has had to do for the last 6 years. But I would be surprised if we're not drafting an outside pass rusher on the first day.

I'm not mad that Mario is gone, I'm mad that we're in the same place we've been in 7 of the 8 last drafts. Trying to improve our pass rush.

The1ApplePie
03-15-2012, 06:49 PM
To be fair, the fanbase never fully respected Mario like they do AJ.

I am a Reggie fanboy, but I still respected him. Plenty of Reggie and VY fans never accepted him.

welsh texan
03-15-2012, 07:06 PM
I don't get people having a go at Mario for leaving. The dude's grandchildren will die rich due to the deal he's just signed. Can't really understand hatred towards somebody for that.

As for his impact in Houston, whether he was personally the dominant force we all dreamed of as often as we liked or not, I think he played a key role in this franchise getting to where it is today, from where it was on the day we signed him.

Its more than just a couple of double digit sack seasons or a couple of seasons cut short by injury, he lifted the status of this franchise to a point where FA's now want to play in Houston.

Sure, it wasn't all him, but he was the first of the new era. He's been the face of the defense, and he's done it all with a quiet grace that you don't often see in people of his natural ability.

Its been a gradual progression from worst to (almost) first over 6 years, guys like Antonio, JoJo, D Manning and Wade Phillips will all have factored in getting the chance to play alongside Mario Williams as part of their decision to sign for us.

Sure we'll move on and become stronger without him, I think the legwork to replace him was done 12 months ago when they hit on both his positions in the draft, with Reed probably expected to play a far lesser role than he did last year. Things have worked out OK for both parties.

Wouldn't it be best to lay aside all the injury bug stuff, saying he's gone for the money etc, and just be happy for the guy for getting paid, wishing him the best of luck, and looking back on the good times. Because on his day, Mario has been utterly unstoppable for our D, despite at times having the likes of Morlon Greenwood, Anthony Weaver, and Jacques Reeves as some of the higher quality players around him.

Pantherstang84
03-15-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm not butt hurt over Mario leaving. I just thought he would go somewhere he had a chance to win. Instead he was all about the money. Good for him. Years from now though see my earlier post (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1916032&postcount=2160).

Double Barrel
03-15-2012, 07:17 PM
These guys are all mercenaries. The Andre Johnsons of the NFL are extremely extremely rare. These guys are being paid to play a sport and honestly, they only really owe one thing to the fans of the team they play for: work ethic. They have to work hard, play hard and fight hard for their team to win.

As much as I want them to all be loyal to us, I can't expect that from them. They're not lifelong Houstonians. They all grew up somewhere else, have family somewhere else and went to college somewhere else. Mario grew up in North Carolina, went to college at North Carolina St. and still has all his family back in North Carolina. Why must he be loyal to Houston just because we sucked so incredibly hard in 2005 and we drafted him #1 overall? These guys' contracts are usually for 4, 5, MAYBE 6 years if they're lucky. He played here 6 years and is moving on elsewhere. Will probably play in Buffalo for 4 years before they cut him for cap purposes and he ends up with Carolina or somewhere else.

These guys don't "owe" us their lifelong loyalty just because we drafted them. It's a business and the moment they are a liability we will kick them to the curb. See Eric Winston. If the franchise doesn't have to be career-loyal to the player we can't expect any different in return.

I do not disagree with you at all.

They certainly owe us nothing, and by that same token, we owe them nothing once they no longer wear the logo of our team on their helmet.

Why would I root for the Bills? Why would I root for a single player on the Bills?

As far a folks taking "parting shots" at him, I'm not seeing it. I think there is a collective rationalization going on to justify not paying him $100 million. He is certainly a solid player, but I never looked at him as being elite...at least not compared to the NFL greats at his position. That's not dissing the guy, but just analyzing a player that is no longer with our team.

I'm personally glad that they did not sell the farm to keep him. While he makes our defense better when he plays, I do not see a return on the investment for what he brings compared to what it costs to keep him.

thunderkyss
03-15-2012, 07:18 PM

I agree with you. However, this fan base hasn't treated Mario the way they've treated Andre.

& I understand, a little bit. Mario hasn't produced the way Andre has "normally" Even with David Carr, we knew Andre was the best receiver in the NFL. Regardless who the QB was, the game changed depending on whether Andre suited up or not.

I personally think the game changed whether Mario was on the field or not. In the past, we had no pass rush without him. 2011, we still had a pass rush, one of the best in the league. However, that was the exception & our fans are acting like it was the rule.

I'm happy with Brooks & Barwin.... & Watt, but I think those guys (along with Manning & Jjo) would have really blossomed as players with Mario on the team.

Yeah, they blossomed without him. But we blitzed more without him. I feel like we got more turnovers when he was on the field... I think the defense worked better with him. Everybody's job was easier.

But he's gone & like I said, I'm fine with that.

But, nobody sacked Peyton Manning as often as Mario Williams. That says something.

Nobody, that I can remember, brought Ben Rothlisberger down by himself once in a game, much less twice in the same game.... except Mario. That says something.

Rey
03-15-2012, 07:23 PM

Not if Peyton is playing against the Colts and Andrew Luck that same week....

:thinking: :kitten:

Txn_in_FL
03-15-2012, 07:29 PM
I can't get too upset about it. This is life in the NFL today and if I could get a massive payday I would too. The bright side of this is he didn't stay in the division.

Great player with a lot of potential if he can stay on the field. Would have been nice to see what he could have done in this defense last year but with his injury and the way Reed, Barwin and Watt performed it seems like he made himself irrelevant.

Glad that the fans in Buffalo can have high hopes but I don't think this one signing is going to "push them over the top".

Lucky
03-15-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm not mad that Mario is gone, I'm mad that we're in the same place we've been in 7 of the 8 last drafts. Trying to improve our pass rush.
Yes, but at least the Texans have the coaching in place to take advantage of whatever talent is here. There's still hope. Wade would have been a much tougher loss to absorb.

Andre is Mr. Texan.

http://static.culturemap.com/site_media/uploads/photos/2012-02-25/039_RodeoHouston_parade_February_2012_Andre_Johnso n.800w_600h.jpg

Seems he is really into being loved, he keeps talking about how fans are embracing him there.
And if they don't, he can always embrace that cash.
My prediction on Mario's legacy.

He will be the NFL player to earn the most money without ever appearing in a playoff game. Book it.
Mario probably already holds that distinction. I get why his agent lead him to Buffalo. He earned the biggest commision there. The agent doesn't have to live in Buffalo, play in sub-arctic temperatures, and stay home for the playoffs. All he has to do is collect the commission. Williams will not be happy playing there. Hope that $$$ will make him smile.

Double Barrel
03-15-2012, 07:38 PM
I agree with you. However, this fan base hasn't treated Mario the way they've treated Andre.

& I understand, a little bit. Mario hasn't produced the way Andre has "normally" Even with David Carr, we knew Andre was the best receiver in the NFL. Regardless who the QB was, the game changed depending on whether Andre suited up or not.

I personally think the game changed whether Mario was on the field or not. In the past, we had no pass rush without him. 2011, we still had a pass rush, one of the best in the league. However, that was the exception & our fans are acting like it was the rule.

I'm happy with Brooks & Barwin.... & Watt, but I think those guys (along with Manning & Jjo) would have really blossomed as players with Mario on the team.

Yeah, they blossomed without him. But we blitzed more without him. I feel like we got more turnovers when he was on the field... I think the defense worked better with him. Everybody's job was easier.

But he's gone & like I said, I'm fine with that.

But, nobody sacked Peyton Manning as often as Mario Williams. That says something.

Nobody, that I can remember, brought Ben Rothlisberger down by himself once in a game, much less twice in the same game.... except Mario. That says something.

yeah, I will definitely miss the big guy's impact when he was on. He always had to be accounted for by opposing teams, and hope we can get that kind of production out of his replacements.

I feel good that Wade is here. Like Lucky said, that would have been a far more devastating blow to lose Phillips, all things considered.

And you are right that A.J. gets special treatment, for a variety of reasons.

Mario came here in a controversy, one that still has a recorded impact on this forum (i.e. the night before the 2006 draft > "Most users ever online was 1,493, 04-28-2006 at 09:04 PM."). I still remember you and I defending the pick on that night from all the VY and Reggie fanboys. Man, that seems like ages ago.

Mario probably already holds that distinction. I get why his agent lead him to Buffalo. He earned the biggest commision there. The agent doesn't have to live in Buffalo, play in sub-arctic temperatures, and stay home for the playoffs. All he has to do is collect the commission. Williams will not be happy playing there. Hope that $$$ will make him smile.

lol! Great points. My in-laws are from Buffalo, and the weather is brutal up there. And in that division, I think the money is all he's going to have to console himself year after year when the Bills continue to fail to make the playoffs.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Glad we weren't the suckers that gave him that contract. Mario will never come close to being worth it.

thunderkyss
03-15-2012, 07:43 PM
I feel good that Wade is here. Like Lucky said, that would have been a far more devastating blow to lose Phillips, all things considered.

Yes, but at least the Texans have the coaching in place to take advantage of whatever talent is here. There's still hope. Wade would have been a much tougher loss to absorb.

Without a doubt, there is hope of a silver lining... but we've also got Wade's second year history to try to disprove.

thunderkyss
03-15-2012, 07:46 PM
I get why his agent lead him to Buffalo. He earned the biggest commision there. The agent doesn't have to live in Buffalo, play in sub-arctic temperatures, and stay home for the playoffs. All he has to do is collect the commission. Williams will not be happy playing there. Hope that $$$ will make him smile.

People are weird. Millions of idi0ts living up their thinking it's the best thing in the world. Mario's from North Carolina, so he probably likes the snow & all that crap.

His agent probably has a ranch in Wisconsin for all we know.

Like I said, bunch of strange people in the world.

Kimmy
03-15-2012, 07:47 PM
So did anyone else get the feeling he was implying ugly things towards Houston in his press conference?

IDK - it just seemed to me he was taking little swipes. I don't think he will be worth the money he was paid and here's why;

When the GM spoke on Sirius later, he said Mario told them he's not a "rah rah" locker room guy, he's not going to do the pre game dance on the field, not a big speech guy.

AKA - not a leader! Demeeco brought this up last year preseason if you remember, said Mario could rule the league (or something like that) if he wanted too.

I'm glad it's over.

Lucky
03-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Cleveland. Buffalo. Jacksonville. Seattle. Add Cincy why don't you, and you've got the armpits of the NFL. Williams isn't going to any of these teams.
I definitely read that wrong. Williams could have still been a very, very rich man and played on a contending team. Nope, he went with the team that offered the most $$$. That hasn't been to the playoffs in 13 seasons. You have to wonder how much value this guy places on winning.

Mr teX
03-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Glad we weren't the suckers that gave him that contract. Mario will never come close to being worth it.

no player would..

Premier
03-15-2012, 07:56 PM
i just think the bills fans are setting themselves up for heartbreak with unrealistic expectations.. some bills fans are saying this move is equivilant to reggie white going to green bay.. i think the 2 talking heads on NFLN hit the nail on the head discussing this move, saying that MARIO ISNT A GAMECHANGER and he is not elite. tbh, i never felt he was the best pass rusher in the AFC South, i would take freeney over him anyday. I think there was/is a ton of hype that mario never lived up to and for some reason when free agency started, the hype started back up again.. the media and fans are buying into it..i just think that if the texans really felt like he was that elite, cant lose, guy, a deal would have been done. they let him walk, knowing he isnt worth the money he would be asking for. you and i both know mario disappears several games at a time, then sprinkled in a 3 sack game here and there.. but yeah, its not our problem and we should be thankful.. considering we will have moves to make on some guys that are absolutely types of guys we need to keep long term, duane brown & brian cushing come to mind..

thunderkyss
03-15-2012, 08:04 PM
So did anyone else get the feeling he was implying ugly things towards Houston in his press conference?

I think he took two stabs at the Houston.

First, when he was praising Kyle Williams & saying how Kollar was saying, "If we had Kyle Williams" but, I think he's had a point. 2011 was the only season a QB has not been able to consistently step up into the pocket since Mario has been here. It has also been the only season a Texan has recorded (by my stats) a coverage sack in more than one game over that same time period.

Second, when he was talking about the fans & how ecstatic they were about him. Showing up at the airport to see him, writing his name in their pizza, & other crap like that. But they go to their games in Buffalo (or Canada) even though their team hasn't made the play-offs in over a decade.... different kind of football fan up there.

thunderkyss
03-15-2012, 08:06 PM
I definitely read that wrong. Williams could have still been a very, very rich man and played on a contending team. Nope, he went with the team that offered the most $$$. That hasn't been to the playoffs in 13 seasons. You have to wonder how much value this guy places on winning.

Yeah, gotta wonder why Jjo would go to a team with the worst pass defense in league history.

Kimmy
03-15-2012, 08:08 PM

First, when he was praising Kyle Williams & saying how Kollar was saying, "If we had Kyle Williams" but, I think he's had a point. 2011 was the only season a QB has not been able to consistently step up into the pocket since Mario has been here. It has also been the only season a Texan has recorded (by my stats) a coverage sack in more than one game over that same time period.

Second, when he was talking about the fans & how ecstatic they were about him. Showing up at the airport to see him, writing his name in their pizza, & other crap like that. But they go to their games in Buffalo (or Canada) even though their team hasn't made the play-offs in over a decade.... different kind of football fan up there.

I know he had his critics, but every time I ever saw him, he was surrounded by fans. I think he never got over the fact of his own #1 picking, that people were disappointed and felt he didn't live up to potential.

Which is all true, but it was 6 years ago, let it go and move on.

Oh well .. cest la vie

silentassassin
03-15-2012, 08:12 PM

I don't really think those were shots. Might have been lip service, at worst; and genuine, at best. I'd laugh if he would have tried to turn this around on Houston somehow. Regardless, as many others in this thread have stated, what's done is done.

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 08:20 PM

We all read that wrong, but (and as you mentioned) it's all about:

"SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!"

Someone on the radio brought up another good point. Imagine if he would've signed for nearly this same amount of money in a large market like New York (the city), Chicago etc. and produced what he produced here, where his high water mark over the last three seasons was 9 sacks.

I'm not knocking the guy and in fact liked him. He's a nice player but not $100 mill. nice. Hell, he wasn't a $54 million nice player.

Mr teX
03-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Where there's anger, there's always pain -Eckhart Tolle

This perfectly sums up how the fan base is reacting to Mario leaving imo.

We've known he was likely going to be leaving for weeks....most if not all of us still held out hope that he might choose to stay.

yet when it actually happened, some people still felt the need to lash out.........& continue to do so. Why? b/c at the end of the day, it still hurts a little bit knowing that:

- he could've helped take this defense to another stratosphere, though we didn't neccessarily need him to be a pretty good defense.

- he was one of our own that ultimately rejected us.

-we could do next to nothing about it.

-he was generally just a good dude.

I expect the same reaction if Meyers chooses to go elsewhere.

thunderkyss
03-15-2012, 08:31 PM
ii just think that if the texans really felt like he was that elite, cant lose, guy, a deal would have been done. they let him walk, knowing he isnt worth the money he would be asking for.

I think the Texans screwed up when we signed him to that rookie deal with no signing bonus & backloading the hell out of his contract.

In the past, when you give a player a big signing bonus & backload the contract, the reality is that the last few years of the contract will never be played out. a 4 year contract is really a two year deal, a 5 year is really a 3 year deal & a 6 is really a 4 year deal.

If the player isn't pulling his weight & not worth the back-end dollars, you cut him.. send him on his way. If he's the ****, you work out a restructure, where the deal doesn't hurt the team & the players previous years end up being richer than the original contract suggested.

I give you a $15M signing bonus over 5 years, that works out to $3M/yr plus salary. However, if you out play your contract after 3 years, I'm going to wave another $20M in your face to get you to sign a new deal that would keep you on my team for another 4 years or so. Now, you've made $5M/yr plus salary over the first 3 years of that first contract.

With Mario's contract, after 3 years if you redid his contract, then he would have played for something stupid (for a #1 overall) like $4M/yr on a contract that avg $9M/yr.

After 3 years, we're talking 2009. He played all 16 games, & though it was the best defense he had been apart of to date (13th overall) he failed to record double digit sacks. That would have been the perfect time to restructure.

Maybe he's having questions about what he can do in this league & what his worth is to a team but feeling high about what this team can do with him on it... after 2009 mind you. Maybe he would have been open to restructuring.

But, some of you will say, the Texans still did not know what they were gettng with Mario. In reply, they damn sure should have known. I don't know how much his contract escalated from year 4, but year 5 ($16M) & year 6 ($18M) they had to have some kind of confidence to keep him on the team & not trade him like gafftop had been saying since last offseason.

Right now, some are suggesting we lock up next year's FA while we can. But if they signed contracts like Mario's, it may be too late. If next year is their money year, the year that makes it all worth it.... they won't restructure, why would they?

The whole league knows who Duane Brown is, if he's got a stupid high salary like Mario did (which might explain why we're in cap hell now) then all he has to do is wait one more year & he's a FA & he will get paid. Let the Texans threaten to cut him, with Myers being wined & dined in Possum Holler & Winston in Miami. Let the Texans threaten to cut Barwin with Mario in Buffalo.... it ain't going to happen.

If their contracts are like Mario's (& I don't know that they are), they'll cash in on their last season & test FA just like Myers did & just like Mario did & we'll either overpay to keep them, or do without.

Premier
03-15-2012, 08:32 PM
honestly im more worried about who im gonna use as my main pass rusher on madden. madden is all about ratings and mario is up there so he dominates all the time, too bad it wasnt like that in real-life..

thunderkyss
03-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Someone on the radio brought up another good point. Imagine if he would've signed for nearly this same amount of money in a large market like New York (the city), Chicago etc. and produced what he produced here, where his high water mark over the last three seasons was 9 sacks.

I don't get this "large market" stuff. Cam Newton is playing in Bubba Gump country & he's got more endorsements than most guys on "large market" teams.

But I've got a feeling most people are blaming Mario's production, or lack thereof, on the team, not the man.

mattieuk
03-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Meh, I'm okay with it. Buffalo was offering obscene money - I would be a lot more angry if the Texans had matched that contract. Does the loss of Mario undo the hard work the defense did last year to improve? Nope. Does the addition of Mario make Buffalo a contender? Nope.

Give it 9 months, I predict there are going to be a lot of Buffalo fans wondering what they've paid $100million for, when they don't get the expected 15+ sack season.

I'm happy Houston haven't spent their future salary structure on beating out Buffalo - and I'm happy that the money can be spent on 2/3 other solid guys who can help the team out.

Thanks Mario - you gave us some good times, and I hope you have some happy times up north.

Vinny
03-15-2012, 08:57 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/bbwolf90 this is Mario's twitter. Verified per Nick Scurfield.

Pantherstang84
03-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Where there's anger, there's always pain -Eckhart Tolle

This perfectly sums up how the fan base is reacting to Mario leaving imo.

We've known he was likely going to be leaving for weeks....most if not all of us still held out hope that he might choose to stay.

yet when it actually happened, some people still felt the need to lash out.........& continue to do so. Why? b/c at the end of the day, it still hurts a little bit knowing that:

- he could've helped take this defense to another stratosphere, though we didn't neccessarily need him to be a pretty good defense.

- he was one of our own that ultimately rejected us.

-we could do next to nothing about it.

-he was generally just a good dude.

I expect the same reaction if Meyers chooses to go elsewhere.

How do you expect fans to react when someone leaves? Are we supposed to hold hands and sing kumbayah? Stop the pity party. The dude got paid.

He's no longer a Texan and I have no desire to become a Buffalo fan. He's gone and I'm moving on and will not lose sleep over his absence.

El Tejano
03-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Has anyone else noticed that all of a sudden that Mario has left Houston he is now "the top Defensive End in the league" or "Elite Pass Rusher". His whole tenure he was doing some awesome stuff in Houston. He was at one point showing why we took him #1 over all and one thing I liked about Mario was how well he did vs. the run. Yet what always frustrated me about him was how he never got the recognition I felt he deserved. In fact you could say that he, as late as last week, was still being called Mario William the defensive end who was taken number one overall over Reggie Bush and Vince Young.

However now he's gone from Houston and all the media, has been acting as if they always loved Mario and that they always talked about him as an elite pass rusher in the league.

I so badly want to call up to these stations and say that I used to have to create a Hey Mario, You Suck Thread so that we could get him to sack a qb. I want to remind them that Mario has had 3 seasons in a row with season ending injuries, and how he can disappear in games sometimes. Yes he's super awesome when he's on and I, as a fan, will miss him but there are times when we as fans were wondering if he was ever going to become an elite pass rusher until this past year in Wade's system.

GP
03-15-2012, 09:57 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/bbwolf90 this is Mario's twitter. Verified per Nick Scurfield.

Thank you for posting that.

This means the awkward little part about bandwagon fans and real fans was his wording and his tweet, straight from his fingertips. I don't like it when someone cannot produce a statement without finding a way to throw a jab in somewhere along the way.

All he had to do was just keep it straight-laced. But he couldn't. It's like, "Oh yeah? Well look at me now. I just got paid, so I can say a little bit of smack and it's alright if I do so."

I get this feeling that we never knew Mario, actually. Like he didn't care if we knew him or not. I think Andre Johnson, as shy is he is notorious for being, is more out-of-his-shell than Mario. I dunno, maybe I'm spitballin' here.

How do you expect fans to react when someone leaves? Are we supposed to hold hands and sing kumbayah? Stop the pity party. The dude got paid.

He's no longer a Texan and I have no desire to become a Buffalo fan. He's gone and I'm moving on and will not lose sleep over his absence.

Yeah, I agree. Good for him, he found a suitor and it worked out for him. It means the Texans made a better pick than the Saints and Titans. We won, a little bit I suppose. LOL.

That's how sports goes. When your players walk away, especially when they chose to (and it was for $$$), it stings a bit because they chose more money over the team we love to root for.

There'll be a natural inclination for Texans fans to break from Mario, and I always maintain that if that player keeps it classy and doesn't swipe at us in little petty bull**** ways in the media...then I'm cool with the dude. But when they pull that "My life is better now" crap, it's on like Donkey Kong.

Texecutioner
03-15-2012, 10:12 PM
:hurrah: At least the Texans won't be stuck with this guy ever again.

Now where are all of the folks that acted like Mario was this franchise piece to this defense and didn't care what the Texans might have had to spend?? I can't believe that people wanted the Texans to waste that kind of money on that dude when we've got all these other pass rushers who go balls to the wall on every play.

The Bills just signed one of the worst contracts in their entire franchise history. Book it!!! Mario already has to much money and hasn't been motivated like other guys who drewl just to dominate. Now that he's the highest paid player in NFL history on defense, and playing in Buffalo he'll never be motivated to play all out.

Bills fans are going to hate this deal down the road. That's a guarantee.

I'm just glad that he'll no longer be our problem.

Mr teX
03-15-2012, 10:13 PM

Well, for 1 be a grown up about the situation...you expected him to leave, he left man up and move on. Don't lash out like a damn child & try to find any damn reason to hate on the guy....especially when it was something you knew was likely to occur.

All this talk about whether he deserved it or not (name me a player in the league who is worth that?) or how he slighted the fans through a damn twitter post / press conference or how he's not going to win b/c he went there etc. etc. comes off as being *&^%%-made &/or jealous.

I wish the mods would close this thread to be honest b/c there's really nothing else to discuss.

Wolf
03-15-2012, 10:20 PM
was that really marios tweet earlier?(the one about bandwagon fans?)

*edit* I just saw vinny's post about the official tweet

I am not hating on what he did, I do wonder what he meant about bandwagon fans? (maybe the haters that wanted bush/young before???)

Kimmy
03-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Please merge with the other OMFG another Mario thread ...

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 11:01 PM

No, this is a unique perspective that everyone should read. It's not about Mario, but rather the inexplicable hype surrounding him. Reading this passage has enlightened me and I am a better person for having read it.

Oz Texan
03-15-2012, 11:07 PM

Yet another attmept to merge threads that dont need to be merged just because they are a similar subject....

I agree with Dutchrudder, this make alot of sence and imho is worthy of discussion. Houston has been the black sheep of the NFL ever since the Mario Williams draft. Now that he is going elsewhere hes "elite" and worthy of the money hes was offered. I personaly dont think hes worth that much due to injuries over the last couple of years. We also proved last year we can be a dang good defence without him. Would we have been better with him....we will enver know.

Thorn
03-15-2012, 11:11 PM
El Tejano makes a very good point, and I agree with him.

Playoffs
03-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Let's let the Moderators moderate the forum.

I agree with the OP that Mario was no Reggie White/Bruce Smith. I do think he could have shown better surrounded by better defensive players/coaches -- but then there's those nagging injuries.

Brisco_County
03-15-2012, 11:20 PM
What you are noticing is that sports media is the same as the rest of the media. They have to sell a sensationalized narrative. In this case, they'll focus on Mario's overall draft status, his freakish measureables, and how he stood out among a bad to average defense for so many years. They're dismissing the endurance and durability issues, which is fine, because so is any team willing to offer him $50 million guaranteed. It's a shame to see him go, but we're in on the secret that we'll get better value for that kind of money.

AMartin56
03-15-2012, 11:21 PM
:goodpost:

silentassassin
03-15-2012, 11:41 PM
Great post, this is exactly how I felt as well. I thought I'd get lambasted and labeled "conspiracy guy" for mentioning media hype following his signing.

AMartin56
03-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Finally got a second balanced/negative opinion from the talking heads. Mangini on ESPN earlier was the first...Baldinger (sp?) on NFL Network was just the second. He was VERY negative. Basically said 'bad deal...Mario is good player but not a game changer'. Amen.

thunderkyss
03-15-2012, 11:53 PM
I wish the mods would close this thread to be honest b/c there's really nothing else to discuss.

I wish you didn't kowtow to those T-sippers & deleted your sig.

Can't make everyone happy.

DerekLee1
03-16-2012, 12:04 AM
The Bills just dedicated 13% of their cap allotment to a DE that averages 0.6 sacks a game. Chew on that. Talk about cap hell for the next 6 years. And now that he's got that payday, I don't see him giving any more effort than he has. He sure as hell didn't go to Buffalo to leave any kind of legacy.

Norg
03-16-2012, 12:07 AM
I agree hes not the Best DE in this league so IMO buffalo vastly over payed him they took a huge gamble i would have not taken but he thats how it is in the NFL u have to make tough descisons and gambles some times

silvrhand
03-16-2012, 12:09 AM
The Bills just dedicated 13% of their cap allotment to a DE that averages 0.6 sacks a game. Chew on that. Talk about cap hell for the next 6 years. And now that he's got that payday, I don't see him giving any more effort than he has. He sure as hell didn't go to Buffalo to leave any kind of legacy.

Exactly, he's missed 14 games in the last two seasons, and you drop 13% of your cap on him.. wow just wow..

MEGA SWATT
03-16-2012, 12:13 AM
agree.

DocBar
03-16-2012, 12:18 AM
I shudder to think of what the payday would've been if Mario HAD been all about the money. I'm very, very thankful that Smith didn't get him resigned anywhere near the neighborhood of this contract.
Mario is a good, above average player, but Reggie White has to be spinning at 3600rpm's in his grave right now with these comparisons.

fiasco west
03-16-2012, 03:01 AM
What you are noticing is that sports media is the same as the rest of the media. They have to sell a sensationalized narrative. In this case, they'll focus on Mario's overall draft status, his freakish measureables, and how he stood out among a bad to average defense for so many years. They're dismissing the endurance and durability issues, which is fine, because so is any team willing to offer him $50 million guaranteed. It's a shame to see him go, but we're in on the secret that we'll get better value for that kind of money.

Rep your way.

This is exactly what is happening. The media is selling a story. It's nothing against the Texans, it just makes for a good story. "Freakish athlete, one of the best DEs going to a small market and to a below average team."

Last year Mario was the best player on our defense according to ESPN. why? Because last season the Texans were the underdog, the team that kept chugging along despite their injuries. This was the story connected to the Texans. How many times did we hear "And they are doing all this without Mario Williams!?!?" I heard it a ton last season. Everyone here knows that even when Mario was on the team our best players on D were Jjo and Cushing. But the Texans were the underdog team, they even ran features on our team I was shocked as hell when during a SNF game Bob Costas spends the halftime talking about the Texans and their injury problems.

Don't worry anti-Mario folks. Because if Mario doesn't produce as a Bill for whatever reason trust me the story will be "What are the Bills going to do about Mario?" and that train will turn quickly.

leebigeztx
03-16-2012, 03:11 AM
The only thing holding mario back is health and even then he's played injured. Dennis green once said you're worth what the market says you're worth. The market said 50m guaranteed. He's a high end player and will make the bills front 7 a force. No need to hate, just keep it moving.

welsh texan
03-16-2012, 05:58 AM
The only thing holding mario back is health and even then he's played injured. Dennis green once said you're worth what the market says you're worth. The market said 50m guaranteed. He's a high end player and will make the bills front 7 a force. No need to hate, just keep it moving.

Good point. I don't want the inferiority complex thats surrounded Mario's tenure as a Texan to continue to haunt us now that he's been paid somewhere else. The franchise made its contingency plans 12 months ago, and pretty much moved on from him then, so we need to do exactly the same.

Lets worry a little less about what the media are saying and how suddenly Mario has gone from being the 'worst #1 pick in history' to 'probably the right choice after all' to the 'most dominant pass rusher in the league' over the past 6 years, with that last jump being made as soon as he moved to us.

What about JoJo who went from being a decent CB in Cincy to being a lockdown guy as soon as he signed for Houston.

The OP makes a fair point as far as what's being said, but really, why should we care?

Showtime100
03-16-2012, 06:15 AM

First of all, good thread El Tejano. I was watching this stuff wondering what was going on myself.

As for Brisco, great post. Maybe I've seen this too many times or maybe I'm whining here, but I strongly suspect if the teams were turned around many would be laughing at Houston for dropping a pot of gold on an injury riddled defensive lineman who hasn't shown he is worthy of such a contract.

Instead it's, "Buffalo's message to the league" they are are playing for real. It's suddenly Super Mario where before it was that guy the Texans took over Reggie and Vince.

A lot of sports media simply doesn't care or even dislikes the city of Houston, IMO. I especially loved seeing butterbrain Skip Bayless' take on the Manning story. In short he blasted Houston for not "being interested" in Peyton when we have that bum Schaub on our team. Houston is on the way up and didn't think in this situation Peyton was a good gamble, that if it didn't work out it could seriously derail all the Texans have worked for......a fact that Steven A. Smith understood backwards and forwards. Then Skip said the last thing Denver should ever do is take that injured gamble Peyton because after all, they already have Tebow The Great.

I was just cheering Stephan A. to just reach across and strangle Skip and I'm not really much of a Stephen A fan, but in this case he understood Houston's position perfectly.

I know, I know, Bayless has a seriously disturbing thing for Tebow, thanks for listening. Rant over. :rant:

TheMatrix31
03-16-2012, 07:31 AM
You know what's the problem? You guys are watching ESPN and especially those idiots Skip & Co. By giving them ratings and attention, you're keeping their bull**** flowing and their damn show on the air!

I agree though. Mario is a great player, but best defensive player? No. Best OLB? No. Best DE? No. It is important for Buffalo, though. No matter how "misrepresented" he is in the media and such, he's still a big-time player, and him going to Buffalo means wonders for the franchise and those fans, not to mention their defense.

BIG TORO
03-16-2012, 07:49 AM
So that means we have to wait till Kareem Jackson leaves Houston before he is considered a shut down corner right?

:bubbles:

Showtime100
03-16-2012, 07:49 AM
You know what's the problem? You guys are watching ESPN and especially those idiots Skip & Co. By giving them ratings and attention, you're keeping their bull**** flowing and their damn show on the air!

I agree though. Mario is a great player, but best defensive player? No. Best OLB? No. Best DE? No. It is important for Buffalo, though. No matter how "misrepresented" he is in the media and such, he's still a big-time player, and him going to Buffalo means wonders for the franchise and those fans, not to mention their defense.

Given the alternatives....I watch. Amazingly, shows I don't watch sometimes manage to stay on the air. :)

Thorn
03-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Amazingly, shows I don't watch sometimes manage to stay on the air. :)

I got that same problem as well with shows I don't like. I haven't figured it out yet...:thinking:

SCOTTexans
03-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Also with media attention come the big head syndrome, Chris Myers after he got 1 year into the Probowl he tries to get a deal that is way above his performance. and age... :bat:

Glad the one that this didn't work on was Foster, If he would have tested free market we would have been in alot more trouble

dalemurphy
03-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Also with media attention come the big head syndrome, Chris Myers after he got 1 year into the Probowl he tries to get a deal that is way above his performance. and age... :bat:

Glad the one that this didn't work on was Foster, If he would have tested free market we would have been in alot more trouble

This is why it is smart to re-sign players you believe in when you still have bargaining power in the form of restricted tags, franchise tags, or they are still playing through the final years of a moderate contract.

This is why I thought Mario was gone. If the Texans knew they wanted him, they wouldn't have allowed him to get to this point as a UFA without the franchise tag option... In other words, they would've worked out a restructure and extension last season.

This is also why I want the Texans to get, at least, one of Duane Brown and Barwin signed this off-season. That way, the other can be franchised if needed. We still will also have other important, to be, free agents that I would like to see extended this off-season... players like: Quin, McCain, Casey, whom have played with very minimal deals, agents don't expect to clean up in free agency on, and yet are valuable commodities to the team and could have good years in 2012 accelerating their value as they hit UFA.

SCOTTexans
03-16-2012, 09:38 AM
This is why it is smart to re-sign players you believe in when you still have bargaining power in the form of restricted tags, franchise tags, or they are still playing through the final years of a moderate contract.

This is why I thought Mario was gone. If the Texans knew they wanted him, they wouldn't have allowed him to get to this point as a UFA without the franchise tag option... In other words, they would've worked out a restructure and extension last season.

This is also why I want the Texans to get, at least, one of Duane Brown and Barwin signed this off-season. That way, the other can be franchised if needed. We still will also have other important, to be, free agents that I would like to see extended this off-season... players like: Quin, McCain, Casey, whom have played with very minimal deals, agents don't expect to clean up in free agency on, and yet are valuable commodities to the team and could have good years in 2012 accelerating their value as they hit UFA.

I agree 100%, so either the FO f--ed up or this was part of there plan...

I think the plan was tell the free agents what we can pay them, and they can take it or try the market. It looks like the offers weren't enough for the "top offense line in the league" or the "best DE in the league" at this point

TheCD
03-16-2012, 09:43 AM
The only thing that leaves me bitter about this whole situation is defending Mario for all these years. I (I should probably say we) was ridiculed and laughed at for 3-4 years before people finally conceded Mario was the right choice. Finally...when the media truly gets on board with that fact...Mario is a Buffalo Bill.

I like Mario, wish him the best and understand he was doing what any of us would do if we were to put our career up for sale in its prime. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't completely pissed off at him for defending him and him never even giving us so much as a token "thanks Houston for everything" press conference or anything to that effect.

gwallaia
03-16-2012, 10:12 AM
This is another reason why no one should ever buy a NFL jersey with a player's name on it. Get your own name on the jersey. I have a buddy who still has a #71 Boselli Texan jersey in his closet.

ChampionTexan
03-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Couple of interesting tweets from Darren Rovell:

darren rovell ‏ @darrenrovell

Bob McNair tells me Mario Williams would have done a hometown discount, but not $6M less/year, which is what Texans offered.

Patriots owner Bob Kraft on @cnbc on the money the Bills spent on Mario Williams: "Your team doesn't get better when you do that. I would say your team maybe gets worse because you have less money available for other players."

Thorn
03-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Mario opted for a gigantic payday instead of a chance for a ring is all this amounts to. The Bills aren't going anywhere with or without Mario and he knows that.

Showtime100
03-16-2012, 11:15 AM
This is another reason why no one should ever buy a NFL jersey with a player's name on it. Get your own name on the jersey. I have a buddy who still has a #71 Boselli Texan jersey in his closet.

I have a black alternate Chicago Blackhawks jersey with my last name on it and I took more crap from people who couldn't get over why I put my name on it. Oh well, I guess if we don't do what the herd does we are evil. :D I'll say this, I never had to switch names on it.

Double Barrel
03-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Couple of interesting tweets from Darren Rovell:

Patriots owner Bob Kraft on @cnbc on the money the Bills spent on Mario Williams: "Your team doesn't get better when you do that. I would say your team maybe gets worse because you have less money available for other players."

Coming from an owner that knows how to build a championship team, that says a lot. I'm sure he's delighted that a division rival just blew 13% of their cap on one player who is not an elite QB.

michaelm
03-16-2012, 11:23 AM
That's just so wrong.

Premier, I usually like your takes, because it's normally about football. This time, I think you're missing the boat. You know this team is better with Mario than without. We were #2 without Mario, may have been #1 with him. We don't know that... but it doesn't really matter.

Would we have gone further in the play-offs with him? Probably not. As the #1 defense didn't get out of the Wild-card round.

The team is better with Mario than without... period. Barwin, Reed & Mario is better than Barwin & Reed, which is what we are left with.

Don't take this as me being butt hurt that Mario is gone, it is what it is & we're going to have to move on. With Mario, this could have been one of the few years where pass rush wasn't a first day of the draft concern, & we could focus on BPA or the offensive side of the ball (which is in desperate need of a talent infusion).

Thankfully Wade is still here & he can (hopefully) make potato salad out of left overs like Kubiak has had to do for the last 6 years. But I would be surprised if we're not drafting an outside pass rusher on the first day.

Barwin, Reed + Player #1, Player #2 and Player #3 (made possible with the money saved by not having Mario) is better than Barwin, Reed and Mario.

thunderkyss
03-16-2012, 12:13 PM

So in Mario's case, when would have been a good time to resign him? I don't think we could have done a new deal for him before the season started, because we just paid him $13M-$16M (I don't know the actual number, but it was something stupid like that) & he was looking at making $18M in 2011. Why would he redo those numbers?

Again, since we didn't pay up front, with a signing bonus, his contract did not pay off until the final two years of the deal. If I were his agent, there was no way I would allow a new contract once we made it to those final years.

I totally missed this one. I figured if we offered him Peppers' money, he would have stayed in Houston, understanding what he was paid in 2010 & 2011 vs his production.

Now, one thing I did think about, why did we IR him right away, but not Casey? Not Schaub? Did the Texans act out of frustration, considering his injury history? Was Mario upset about that? Because that was the only reason he didn't play in the play-offs, he was healthy enough.

Depending on their contracts. If they are indeed UFAs after next season, it may be too late for guys like Brown & Barwin who know they'll be sought after in FA. Those guys are going to want to test & the only way to "win" in FA is to overpay.

drs23
03-16-2012, 01:06 PM
I took Rodgers' tweet quite another way. It's more like Rodgers is saying, "Thank Gawd I don't have to see you AND Julius Peppers Twice a year for the next five years!!!"

And you're spot on. That's exactly what he was saying. Who can blame him?

Texan_Bill
03-16-2012, 01:35 PM

I learned that lesson with my "authentic" Jamie Sharper jersey. :pissed:

Blake
03-16-2012, 01:43 PM
I dont understand why Mario tries to play the "I want to help this franchise get better" card, and then goes on to get a 100 million dollar contract.

Apparently it was just as much about the money as it was building a championship, because they damn sure aint gonna be able to bring in talent each year.

Trap_Star
03-16-2012, 01:47 PM
I learned that lesson with my "authentic" Jamie Sharper jersey. :pissed:

http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/images/4/40/Picture0003.jpg

HoustonFrog
03-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Didn't see this in here but LZ did a breakdown for Buffalot fans today. I didn't realize how less of an impact he really had sack wise the last few years. Personal story in there too. Strengths and weaknesses

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2012/03/for-bills-fans-a-scouting-report-on-mario-williams/

There are concerns over whether or not Mario Williams can stay healthy. There is a reason that Mario hasn’t hit double digits in sacks for three straight years – injuries. In 2009, he is said to have had a shoulder injury that he was battling throughout the season. In 2010, Mario had a sports hernia that was an issue from the preseason all the way through the first 13 games. At that point, Williams shut it down and had surgery. In 2011, Mario played in only five games after tearing his pectoral muscle and missing the rest of the season.

Naiirb
03-16-2012, 02:38 PM
So according to his twitter the Texans never even made an offer. Our cap situation must be hell right now.

Dutchrudder
03-16-2012, 03:10 PM
I really hope the Bills game against the Texans is late in the season so we don't have to play him.

:kitten:

Ole Miss Texan
03-16-2012, 03:12 PM
So according to his twitter the Texans never even made an offer. Our cap situation must be hell right now.

Can you quote it? I don't have twitter

Naiirb
03-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Can you quote it? I don't have twitter

Mario was responding to a fan.

https://twitter.com/#!/bbwolf90/status/180701602611601408

"@bbwolf90 Mario, I respect your descion going to buffalo. Sorry Houston couldn't offer you what buffalo did. Best of luck! #texansloyalfan"

Mario's response

"@HoustonTexans81 big dawg it was nvr about them matching. The point was THEY NVR OFFERED"

Goldensilence
03-16-2012, 03:32 PM
That's just so wrong.

Question: how big is the jump from #2 to #1 defense? Is it worth the kind of contract we likely would have shelled out to Williams?

Truth is this if this was a team like the Pats and they saw the kind of production they got WITHOUT Williams... they wouldn't have even blinked at letting him walk. Period.

How did last year's pass rush improve dramatically? Having an actual scheme and a HC with a track record of success with a system he runs. We at least have our starters set at OLB with Reed and Barwin, we'll just have to look in either FA or the draft to find a guy we can rotate in and might start if needed.

In other words we have a d-coord who can identify talent unlike past ones. Without Mario this defense established an identity and I think strangely JJ Watt really helped set the new tone, high energy and high motor guys are what this defense is about now. Some might disagree, but I don't think either could be said about Mario.

Pretty much echoes my thoughts. We need to start thinking about also locking up players that might hit the market next year with cap friendly deals regardless of how much the cap opens up next year.

My target would be Brown for the extension first. IMO its easier to find quality pass rushers at OLB than it is damn good LTs.

Blake
03-16-2012, 03:33 PM

Im sorry but I still dont get it. Dude tweeted no more than 5 times on his superjit90 account as a Texan, and now he has tweeted 26 times in 3 days?

I know the account says verified, but it just doesnt add up.

On another note, his tweets responding to others about what number he will be simply means he is currently trying to buy #90 from his new teammate. Bank on it.

:mariopalm:

Dutchrudder
03-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Im sorry but I still dont get it. Dude tweeted no more than 5 times on his superjit90 account as a Texan, and now he has tweeted 26 times in 3 days?

I know the account says verified, but it just doesnt add up.

On another note, his tweets responding to others about what number he will be simply means he is currently trying to buy #90 from his new teammate. Bank on it.

:mariopalm:

Barwin tweeted yesterday that he spoke with Mario and verified that it was him.

Blake
03-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Barwin tweeted yesterday that he spoke with Mario and verified that it was him.

Yeah I saw that too, but I figured the person tweeting on his account was a drunk cousin or something. :truck:

He sounds like a 13 year old girl truncating nvr and, ur, super geeked? WTF!

TheMatrix31
03-16-2012, 03:58 PM
I read last night (can't remember where) that we DID offer him a contract and he WAS willing to take a discount to stay here but not 6m/yr discount.

Blake
03-16-2012, 04:03 PM
I read last night (can't remember where) that we DID offer him a contract and he WAS willing to take a discount to stay here but not 6m/yr discount.

Bob McNair tells me Mario Williams would have done a hometown discount, but not $6M less/year, which is what Texans offered.

Via Twitter. So who is telling the truth, and who is lying?

Ole Miss Texan
03-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Pretty much echoes my thoughts. We need to start thinking about also locking up players that might hit the market next year with cap friendly deals regardless of how much the cap opens up next year.

My target would be Brown for the extension first. IMO its easier to find quality pass rushers at OLB than it is damn good LTs.
I'm thinking this way as well. I'm very thankful we didn't shell out big bucks for Mario. What I'm hoping from here on out is that Myers and Brisiel find out they're not going to be getting the payday their agents told them they would and the Texans can sign them to reasonable contracts. The rest of FA we pick up some decent guys that improve our roster but nothing too serious as far as high $ guys go. Let's go into the draft and kickass like last year.

If everybody thinks this year is tough cap-wise... just wait until next offseason. Some of our guys' cap-hits increase significantly next year. Plus Schaub and Brown are going to command big time contracts. Barwin's isn't going to be chump change. If we can manage it this year, I'd like to see us go ahead and extend Duane Brown another 5+ years.

Next year the cap isn't gonna skyrocket. I think the earlier we can extend these guys, the better it is. Once the TV revenue starts coming in and the cap starts increasing... players are going to be demanding more. The earlier we can get them under contract the better IMO.

It will be interesting to me what we do with Demeco and OD next season.

Dutchrudder
03-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Via Twitter. So who is telling the truth, and who is lying?

It is possible to gauge his interest without making a formal offer. 6 mill a year less would be about 6 years 64 million, or about 10m a year average. Sounds about right as to what the Texans could offer. We are cash strapped due to our spending last year, but the thing is, had we not signed Daniel Manning, we probably would have retained Mario. Add 5 million a year to Mario's offer and the difference of ~1-2 million a year is negligible on his end.

80tothezone
03-16-2012, 04:21 PM
I know I'm a little late but he can now do this on someone else's sidelines.http://img.tapatalk.com/aefd5cfc-a0da-dbcf.jpg

Ole Miss Texan
03-16-2012, 04:53 PM
It is possible to gauge his interest without making a formal offer. 6 mill a year less would be about 6 years 64 million, or about 10m a year average. Sounds about right as to what the Texans could offer. We are cash strapped due to our spending last year, but the thing is, had we not signed Daniel Manning, we probably would have retained Mario. Add 5 million a year to Mario's offer and the difference of ~1-2 million a year is negligible on his end.
Just guessing but I completely see something like that happening. It happens all the time at virtually every business.

You've been banking with Texans Bank for the past 6 years and really like them a lot. It's time to buy a house and they say, "We can start underwriting your mortgage but assuming you fall under xyz criteria we can likely offer you somewhere around 4.5-5.0% interest rate." Further discussions reveal that's all they can do and can't go any lower.

Meanwhile, you've gone out to get an idea of what market rates are. Buffalo Bank has already quoted and offered in writing a 2.99% interest rate.

While Texans Bank never officially offered you the mortgage, you found out enough to save everybody's time. No need to have prolonged negotiations for nothing. I suspect that's exactly what happened in the case of Mario Williams.

Goldensilence
03-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Just guessing but I completely see something like that happening. It happens all the time at virtually every business.

You've been banking with Texans Bank for the past 6 years and really like them a lot. It's time to buy a house and they say, "We can start underwriting your mortgage but assuming you fall under xyz criteria we can likely offer you somewhere around 4.5-5.0% interest rate." Further discussions reveal that's all they can do and can't go any lower.

Meanwhile, you've gone out to get an idea of what market rates are. Buffalo Bank has already quoted and offered in writing a 2.99% interest rate.

While Texans Bank never officially offered you the mortgage, you found out enough to save everybody's time. No need to have prolonged negotiations for nothing. I suspect that's exactly what happened in the case of Mario Williams.

I don't know if it's as much as he prolonged negotiations or that the FO held out hope that long. I am leaning towards the later. The moment he said he was going to test FA, they should have just assumed he was good as gone and moved on accordingly.

If the twitter feed is correct and the Texans offered in the 10 million a year range....well thats what they had to offer and whether it was a fair offer or not we'll prolly never know what other teams were offering as well.

What we do know is how big the contract he signed is and why. I'm not upset about him signing to contract or signing elsewhere period. The production we've gotten out of the past just doesn't justify it.

What I do know is this: Brooks Reed as a rookie gave great production, considering he didn't play all 16 games and, then stepped it up in the post season with 3.5 sacks in 2 games.

GP
03-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Mario was responding to a fan.

https://twitter.com/#!/bbwolf90/status/180701602611601408

"@bbwolf90 Mario, I respect your descion going to buffalo. Sorry Houston couldn't offer you what buffalo did. Best of luck! #texansloyalfan"

Mario's response

"@HoustonTexans81 big dawg it was nvr about them matching. The point was THEY NVR OFFERED"

Boo hoo, Mario Williams!

See? This is where I get cranky about ex-Texans doing what I think is pure "amateur hour" on social media accounts like this.

Chances are they DID offer, but for the sake of the argument let's say they did NOT offer you a contract, Mr. Williams. Why would they not offer you a contract, Mario? Answer: It would be insulting to even TRY it.

But if, for the other half of the sake of this argument, we find out that the best we could do was $6m less than Buffalo...then there's not a snowball's chance in hell that we could offer you that with a straight face. And you shouldn't have to decline THAT large of a difference, either.

Whether it was offered or not is not the topic. The topic, Mario, is that everybody knew you were THE top of the FA class and somebody was going to give you insane money. THAT is the only underlying topic of value here.

Face it, Mario, you are not the victim of the Texans disrespecting you. You played out your contract here. You got your money from the Texans. And you are onto a bigger payday with the Bills. So why don't you just take the right approach and keep it classy? I guess $100 million doesn't buy common courtesy anymore.

This is why I don't care for how Bob tries to be so over and beyond in the area of honoring his players. Eff them. Every player you've tried to honor has left and acted like you are a POS low-life. Do you get that, Bob? Despite your best efforts to be these guys' granddaddy and help shape them...none of them, at the end of the day, will pay you back with the same level of courtesy. So just hardball their asses and stop the coddling...you just end up with egg on your face at the end of the day.

Carr, Dunta, Mario...all three of these "Faces of the Franchise" did the same thing when they left here--They acted like ass clowns to the media as if Houston was a harsh place to be and NOW they are getting the respect they needed.

You know what I think? I think those guys pretended they were disrespected so that it would make them feel motivated or it would come off like they're better and above the idea of being cut or tagged or "not offered a contract." In the end, they're trying to come up with a fantasy story that makes them feel better about themselves. As if all that FUGGING money is not enough to soother their pains at the end of the day.

Petulant children.

thunderkyss
03-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Apparently it was just as much about the money as it was building a championship, because they damn sure aint gonna be able to bring in talent each year.

I could be wrong. I get the feeling that Mario is a good 'ol boy from North Carolina (I honestly don't know where he is from). But I get the feeling Mario Williams is one of the most self-less people we'd ever meet (if we were to actually meet him).

Generally, I take people at their word until I have reason to believe otherwise. In this case, I do not. If it were about the money, I think he would have signed early the first day. But he took what, 3 days? to make up his mind.

He brought his fiance up there, showed here around.

What really got me, was when he said he wanted to help Buffalo get over the hump. I know it sounds strange, but I can understand it. I imagine Kubiak has been feeding our team this "goal" for the last 6 years & there is no doubt Mario fell for it, hook line & sinker.

Well, we know when the team got over the hump, Mario wasn't here (not really). & he might have that nagging desire. I think I would. The probability of winning a Super Bowl in Houston is only slightly better than him winning one in Buffalo.

GP
03-16-2012, 06:14 PM
I guess this is the **** we're going to deal with if/when other guys leave.

Can't wait until the day some guy like Cushing leaves and acts like an ass to the media (or on his own media account).

I guess they're all like that. Maybe Schaub isn't. He seems like a guy who would eat three pounds of **** and smile while doing it if it was the right thing to do at the time.

You just never know the character of these guys until you see them walk away. When the squeeze is on, you see what comes out of them.

Mario, eff you. You're the LeBron of the NFL now. A fan tweeted you with kind words and you had to hugging defecate on him/her with that trash about not being offered a contract. You classless piece of refuse. /rant.

GP
03-16-2012, 06:16 PM
I could be wrong. I get the feeling that Mario is a good 'ol boy from North Carolina (I honestly don't know where he is from). But I get the feeling Mario Williams is one of the most self-less people we'd ever meet (if we were to actually meet him).

Generally, I take people at their word until I have reason to believe otherwise. In this case, I do not. If it were about the money, I think he would have signed early the first day. But he took what, 3 days? to make up his mind.

He brought his fiance up there, showed here around.

What really got me, was when he said he wanted to help Buffalo get over the hump. I know it sounds strange, but I can understand it. I imagine Kubiak has been feeding our team this "goal" for the last 6 years & there is no doubt Mario fell for it, hook line & sinker.

Well, we know when the team got over the hump, Mario wasn't here (not really). & he might have that nagging desire. I think I would. The probability of winning a Super Bowl in Houston is only slightly better than him winning one in Buffalo.

You just Keep Hope Alive, TK.

Actions, brother. Actions.

He comes across as a jerk, IMO. Good riddance. Look at his tweets, he's being an ass hat deluxe. Fans wishing him well in tweets and he has to blast the organization. Truth is truth, but no sense in him doing it THAT way.

Texecutioner
03-16-2012, 06:49 PM
I love how so many in here are all bashing Mario now and acting like they're so glad he was gone, yet for months many of you same people bashed and insulted "Dale Murphy" for pointing out this guy's flaws and why it would be a BAD SIGNING to bring this guy back. Hell, a few of us talked about it for over a year and advocated to have Mario traded so we could get value for him while his value was still high.

Now he all of a sudden leaves and becomes the highest paid defensive player in history, and so many of you guys totally flip flop on these assertions and act like it would have been a move that wasn't smart for the Texans. Lol! Hell, you'd think the majority of this board would be depressed all week at how many folks were bringing out their claws to defend this guy over the last year.

I'm stoked he is gone, because Mario will certainly not meet expectations.

steelbtexan
03-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Playing for a winning team was really important to MW. LOL

I've been telling you (TK/SAM/Mr. Tex) MW was all about the $$$$.

I'm pretty sure the harshest critic would say that the Buffalo signing shows what MW is all about.

Enjoy the MW experience Bills fans.

Lucky
03-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Anyone could have said that. No one could have really known until he finally picked a team. There was no evidence one way or another prior to his signing for the biggest bucks.

infantrycak
03-16-2012, 07:56 PM
I love how so many in here are all bashing Mario now and acting like they're so glad he was gone, yet for months many of you same people bashed and insulted "Dale Murphy" for pointing out this guy's flaws and why it would be a BAD SIGNING to bring this guy back.

Whatever. Dale's endless campaign against Mario was and remains ridiculous. His video demonstrated how far he would go to perceive Mario as bad. Very few people said keep Mario no matter what the cost.

Now he all of a sudden leaves and becomes the highest paid defensive player in history...

And it is very telling that Mario sucked so bad, it was so easy for folks to see his low effort - I mean it just jumped off the film so much to even amateur observers it was so easy to see that teams full of professionals were tripping over themselves to make him the highest paid defensive player.

Now honestly, I wanted him back but not at this kind of price (as I have said before, every player has a max price). But let's not get all back patty on this one.

Mr teX
03-16-2012, 08:21 PM

I'm pretty sure the harshest critic would say that the Buffalo signing shows what MW is all about.

Enjoy the MW experience Bills fans.

Lol, 6 years 96 million dollar contract, 50 mil guaranteed......yeah, i'd be all about the money too.

my mind and ego are at ease knowing that the texans FO at least discussed with him on some level a fair contract for him & the team. That is all i ever wanted them to do. Whatever happened after that is what happened.

Texecutioner
03-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Whatever. Dale's endless campaign against Mario was and remains ridiculous. His video demonstrated how far he would go to perceive Mario as bad. Very few people said keep Mario no matter what the cost.

I guess you forget that for almost an entire year Dale continually talked specifically about how we "couldn't" afford Mario and how it wasn't feasible one way or the other due to what he would most certainly ask for. Hell, even the numbers Dale was using were a lot lower than what Mario actually got as well, so it wasn't even in the ball park, but yet so many acted like he knew nothing about the financial situation or anything else for that matter regarding Mario. Well, sorry but when you consider the cap situation that we're in right now and by what Mario got, like it or not Dale was dead on as far as the "financial restraints" that the Texans were going to be in as far as being able to sign Mario especially with Foster still unsigned at the time. Sorry Cak, but you're just going to have to eat this one.

And it is very telling that Mario sucked so bad, it was so easy for folks to see his low effort - I mean it just jumped off the film so much to even amateur observers it was so easy to see that teams full of professionals were tripping over themselves to make him the highest paid defensive player.

Oh yeah, Mario was so great that he was the 3rd or 4th best player on this defense. He plays the most highly coveted position in the league other than the QB position and DE's have been getting top dollars for years around the NFL. Not really a surprise that a good DE would get a huge deal.

Ralph Wilson of the Buffalo Bills signed him who is one of the worst owners in the entire NFL and has one of the most poor reputations as a decision maker for his franchise. The only thing surprising about this is that Wilson actually opened up his wallet for a change, but this deal will most certainly blow up in his face. Mario was going to get a way better deal than what he deserved regardless, but this deal he did get will end up making the Bills look really foolish after a few years. Mario is not going to play hard for them for several seasons. He at least had a lot to prove out here in his first few seasons since so many people acted like he was a bad pick at #1 and that Bush and VY should have been picked over him. Now he'll be on his 2nd gigantic contract and he'll be playing on a bad team in Buffalo of all places. This is not going to be a good deal for the Bills.

infantrycak
03-16-2012, 09:32 PM
I guess you forget that for almost an entire year Dale continually talked specifically about how we "couldn't" afford Mario and how it wasn't feasible one way or the other due to what he would most certainly ask for. ... Sorry Cak, but you're just going to have to eat this one.

Sorry, I don't have to eat anything. I have said on Mario the same thing as I have said on every player - there is some upper limit to what a team should pay. I agree the Texans should not have paid what the Bills did. Where I disagree with dale and apparently you is I don't think you have to denigrate a player to justify saying don't pay more than X. His takes on Mario's actual play have been poor.

thunderkyss
03-16-2012, 09:39 PM

We've had two winning seasons over the last 10 years.

Before the signing, I asked the question, & didn't get any response. It was "reported" That the Texans offered Mario a contract including $44M guaranteed. I asked if it were you & the Bills offered $50M guaranteed, all things being equal, would you take it.

We're talking about a $6M difference to a person who just banked $18M the previous season for 4 games.

I don't think this was about the money.

HoustonFrog
03-16-2012, 09:54 PM
I haven't been reading all of this but Mario is going off on Jerome Solomon on Twitter.

Lucky
03-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Lol, 6 years 96 million dollar contract, 50 mil guaranteed......yeah, i'd be all about the money too.

my mind and ego are at ease knowing that the texans FO at least discussed with him on some level a fair contract for him & the team. That is all i ever wanted them to do. Whatever happened after that is what happened.
It's not like 6 years at $60 million would have been chicken feed.

But as you say, all I wanted was for the Texans to make an effort. I think they did that. That it wasn't enough says more about Mario than the organization. Williams was the foundation of what Kubiak built. That didn't mean as much to Mario as an extra $30-$40 million. After already banking $60 mil from the organization. OK, time to move on.

fiasco west
03-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Walterfootball.com posted what they thought about it...

Bills sign DE Mario Williams (6 years, $100M; $50M guaranteed): B- Grade
Reports are that Mario Williams is now the richest defensive player in NFL history. Williams' contract will dwarf Peppers' 6-year, $84 million deal.

I'm not a huge fan of this signing. As I've written repeatedly, players who go from good teams to bad franchises for the money seldom pan out. Sure, getting Mario Williams seems great now, but that's exactly how Redskin fans felt when Daniel Snyder signed Albert Haynesworth. There's a reason why successful NFL organizations build through the draft and not free agency.

Williams could have taken a bit less money to play for a winner. Instead, he has shown us that his top priority is his paycheck. With that in mind, is he going to care if the Bills make the playoffs? If he wanted to contend for a Super Bowl, he would have stayed with Houston or gone to another good team. His ultimate goal, as he has proven, does not involve winning the Super Bowl. Otherwise, he wouldn't have signed with Buffalo.

I do not completely hate this signing though because it's big for the Bills' organization (at least at the present moment). The front office needed to give its fan base some hope, as the team hasn't qualified for the playoffs since 1999. Maybe this acquisition will spark a culture change in Buffalo. Maybe Williams will help turn this franchise around. I wouldn't bet on it, but crazier things have happened.

Hard to disagree there. If he wanted to win as bad as guys like Andre has (who has restructured and in the past taken less) he would still be here or going to a place like Chicago.

As a great Houstonian once said in a post-game rant..."I want winners! I want people that wanna win."

thunderkyss
03-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Hard to disagree there. If he wanted to win as bad as guys like Andre has (who has restructured and in the past taken less) he would still be here or going to a place like Chicago.

How's that working for Andre?

What's that say about Jjo?

fiasco west
03-16-2012, 11:23 PM
How's that working for Andre?

What's that say about Jjo?

I think the point is Andre understands the cap situation and is willing to work with it. Mario is more about getting the biggest deal he can

Jjo did not get some silly deal. Because of that Texans were able to sign other key players like Manning. Also Jjo did not come from a good team and go to a bad one.

steelbtexan
03-16-2012, 11:44 PM

Me too, LOL

Agreed

Mr teX
03-17-2012, 12:52 AM
It's not like 6 years at $60 million would have been chicken feed.

But as you say, all I wanted was for the Texans to make an effort. I think they did that. That it wasn't enough says more about Mario than the organization. Williams was the foundation of what Kubiak built. That didn't mean as much to Mario as an extra $30-$40 million. After already banking $60 mil from the organization. OK, time to move on.

It doesn't say anything about Mario other than that he's like the rest of us...period. Again, noone can sit up here & say that they'd have gone about it differently. & if they do say that, 9 out of 10 times they'd be lying.

The circumstances with which this guy came into this organization and how people's reactions are now about his departure says alot about this fan base's attitude toward the guy. Not really beloved & taken in but not exactly and outcast either. Before he left everyone was "we don't need him we were the #2 defense without him.." Now that he's no longer the texans problem its "he's all about the money etc." If we didn't need him, what does it matter that he left & took more money? ****, if i was some place where i was largely not wanted from the get go & folks still don't know how they feel about me 6 years later, i'd look to bolt at my 1st opportunity to.

Mr teX
03-17-2012, 01:00 AM
Walterfootball.com posted what they thought about it...

As a great Houstonian once said in a post-game rant..."I want winners! I want people that wanna win."

You can't compare AJ & Arian's situtation with Mario's b/c:

AJ & Arian have largely been able to get on the field & perform..

neither AJ or Arian ever made it to FA to test the market.

& honestly, out of those 2, Arian's the only guy that i can say i would've had faith we could resign if he chose to test the market...........& that's largely based on Arian just being a different cat. Still noone can say for sure that if either of those guys were offered a stupid contract out on the market that they wouldn't take it and bolt in a heartbeat. This is a business & no where in the world does a business man leave a significant amount of profit on the table if its there for the taking.

Goldensilence
03-17-2012, 01:15 AM
I guess this is the **** we're going to deal with if/when other guys leave.

Can't wait until the day some guy like Cushing leaves and acts like an ass to the media (or on his own media account).

I guess they're all like that. Maybe Schaub isn't. He seems like a guy who would eat three pounds of **** and smile while doing it if it was the right thing to do at the time.

You just never know the character of these guys until you see them walk away. When the squeeze is on, you see what comes out of them.

Mario, eff you. You're the LeBron of the NFL now. A fan tweeted you with kind words and you had to hugging defecate on him/her with that trash about not being offered a contract. You classless piece of refuse. /rant.

Damn dude, did he spit on your grandma and kick your dog on the way out too?

Seriously.

TheMatrix31
03-17-2012, 04:05 AM
LeBron of the NFL? Get the hell out of here with that nonsense. Mario was not from Houston. He didn't parade around for years about meeting up with his butt-buddies in Buffalo, he didn't quit in the playoffs before leaving for Buffalo (he didn't play either, lol, but that's not his fault), he didn't act like a wishy-washy loser all over TV, radio, and other media for years acting like he didn't know where he was gonna end up, and last but certainly not least, he didn't go on TV with an hour-long, ridiculous, overproduced televised special getting verbal fellating by Jim Gray while ripping the hearts out of the chest of every Houston citizen.

Sure, should Mario have gone on Twitter and said that they didn't even offer him a contract? No. But who cares.

Not. Even. CLOSE. To. LeBron. The NBA players are on an entirely different ****ing level with this bull****.

ObsiWan
03-17-2012, 08:36 AM

This is where I am too.

If I had a chance to set my fam up for life with a 5-6 year contract with most of the money guaranteed, hell, I'd move to Antartica if that's what was required.

If my old/current firm couldn't/wouldn't match it... well, I think they'd understand.

And what I don't get is, if folks are glad he's gone or relieved we didn't overpay because it would ruin the future, why are they hanging on his every tweet??

I could care less about his tweets (but then I'm not a twitter person anyway - sounds too much like stalking to me).

He's wearing another jersey now. I wish him well. Time for everyone to move on. He has.

MEGA SWATT
03-17-2012, 12:27 PM
I get that money talks and BS walks........but omg that contract is ridiculous. :mariopalm:

I hope for his sake he lives up to expectations and stays healthy...oh and motivated.

Vinny
03-17-2012, 01:03 PM
I didn't backtrack in this thread so my apologies if this is redundant...

Mario claims that the Texans never made him an offer per his twitter account. I retweeted the quote...twitter link in my siggy.

Chazz DeAlba ‏ @HoustonTexans81 · Open
@bbwolf90 Mario, I respect your descion going to buffalo. Sorry Houston couldn't offer you what buffalo did. Best of luck! #texansloyalfan

Mario Williams ‏ @bbwolf90 Close
@HoustonTexans81 big dawg it was nvr about them matching. The point was THEY NVR OFFERED.
Retweeted by TexansTalk.com

Mr. White
03-17-2012, 01:25 PM
I haven't been reading all of this but Mario is going off on Jerome Solomon on Twitter.

Did anyone else see this? It isn't on his Twitter page today.

thunderkyss
03-17-2012, 01:28 PM
I think the point is Andre understands the cap situation and is willing to work with it. Mario is more about getting the biggest deal he can

Jjo did not get some silly deal. Because of that Texans were able to sign other key players like Manning. Also Jjo did not come from a good team and go to a bad one.

I think the point is that the Texans are not a "perenial" winner. The Texans aren't winners anymore than the Bengals were. Last year, if you were Jjo & wanted to play for a winning team you would pick Houston over Cincy?

Take off the rose colored glasses & it's a 50/50 proposition at best.

The chances that the Texans will make it to the play-offs in 2012 is only slightly better than the Bills, only because we have the inside track at winning our division. Put Peyton in Tennessee & we're no longer the favorites & we'll probably challenge Buffalo for a Wild-Card spot.

To me, I see very little difference between Mario going to Buffalo & Jjo coming here. So if Mario is a "cad" for going with the highest bidder, what's Jjo? What's Antonio?

jaayteetx
03-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Did anyone else see this? It isn't on his Twitter page today.

Why? I personally don't care for his column but what does Mario have against him? Didn't Solomon say the Texans should sign him at all costs?

jaayteetx
03-17-2012, 01:31 PM
I think the point is that the Texans are not a "perenial" winner. The Texans aren't winners anymore than the Bengals were. Last year, if you were Jjo & wanted to play for a winning team you would pick Houston over Cincy?

Take off the rose colored glasses & it's a 50/50 proposition at best.

The chances that the Texans will make it to the play-offs in 2012 is only slightly better than the Bills, only because we have the inside track at winning our division. Put Peyton in Tennessee & we're no longer the favorites & we'll probably challenge Buffalo for a Wild-Card spot.

To me, I see very little difference between Mario going to Buffalo & Jjo coming here. So if Mario is a "cad" for going with the highest bidder, what's Jjo? What's Antonio?

Bullspit. Peyton will not be the Peyton everyone is used to seeing with the Colts, just watch.

TheMatrix31
03-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Please tell us more, Nostradamus.

Wolf
03-17-2012, 01:49 PM
kinda interesting conversation on twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/bbwolf90

guess it was his best friend on his twitter acct?

thunderkyss
03-17-2012, 01:55 PM
I didn't backtrack in this thread so my apologies if this is redundant...

Mario claims that the Texans never made him an offer per his twitter account. I retweeted the quote...twitter link in my siggy.

Well, that kills that. & it falls in line with the "no cap room" thinking.

jaayteetx
03-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Please tell us more, Nostradamus.

Peyton has been in one system for his whole career, right? I could be wrong, maybe they changed schemes a time or two early but for the most part he has been operating under the same system. Now, he has to go somewhere else and learn all over again. Don't underestimate that. So much of what Peyton brings is knowledge and timing. Now he has to go to a whole new team and figure out how to play under a new system with new teammates, after undergoing what, four neck surgeries? Now, if anyone can pull it off, its Peyton, but to think we're just gonna see the same old Peyton, to me, seems a little far fetched. Maybe he can pull of something akin to what Kurt Warner did in Arizona but Kurt wasn't coming off of four neck surgeries either. Kurt had Larry Fitzgerald in Arizona too, I don't see anyone close to his caliber in Tack land. JMO, of course.

TheMatrix31
03-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Peyton IS the system.

Mr teX
03-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Peyton has been in one system for his whole career, right? I could be wrong, maybe they changed schemes a time or two early but for the most part he has been operating under the same system. Now, he has to go somewhere else and learn all over again. Don't underestimate that. So much of what Peyton brings is knowledge and timing. Now he has to go to a whole new team and figure out how to play under a new system with new teammates, after undergoing what, four neck surgeries? Now, if anyone can pull it off, its Peyton, but to think we're just gonna see the same old Peyton, to me, seems a little far fetched. Maybe he can pull of something akin to what Kurt Warner did in Arizona but Kurt wasn't coming off of four neck surgeries either. Kurt had Larry Fitzgerald in Arizona too, I don't see anyone close to his caliber in Tack land. JMO, of course.

Lol, this is wrong on so many levels...

#1 as matrix says Peyton is the system.

#2 you think Adams is giving this dude literally a blank check so he can come in and learn someone elses system?

wherever peyton lands they will run his offensive system....period. The only team that i can remotely see where they won't is if he ends up in SF. & Even then Harbaugh will likely have a package or 2 where manning is running his system.

ziggy29
03-17-2012, 03:07 PM
As far as never offering a contract as Mario tweets above, it may well be true. But if the front office thought locking up Foster was more important, and if locking up Foster means no cap room to offer Mario a deal that wasn't insulting, maybe that was the thought process. In other words, they pretty much knew signing Foster would mean Mario was gone.

Some would say it's bad to not even offer a guy you'd like to have back if you could afford him. But what's worse, what's more insulting? Not making any offer or giving an insulting offer that you know is way less than what he's worth on the free agent market?

In any event, best of luck to Mario with the Bills, as long as it's not in a situation where a Bills win hurts the Texans.

infantrycak
03-17-2012, 03:15 PM

#2 you think Adams is giving this dude literally a blank check so he can come in and learn someone elses system?

wherever peyton lands they will run his offensive system....period. The only team that i can remotely see where they won't is if he ends up in SF. & Even then Harbaugh will likely have a package or 2 where manning is running his system.

Where do people get the idea it is Manning's system? It is Tom Moore's system. Yes he gave a lot of latitude to Manning. That doesn't make it Manning's system.

TheMatrix31
03-17-2012, 03:17 PM
It's not Manning's system like he designed it or anything.

Manning IS the system. He himself. If you're bringing in Peyton Manning, you're not continuing with whatever your offense is doing. You let the cyborg do what he does. Dude is Skynet, not Miles Dyson.

ziggy29
03-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Where do people get the idea it is Manning's system? It is Tom Moore's system. Yes he gave a lot of latitude to Manning. That doesn't make it Manning's system.
Manning didn't write the playbook or dictate which personnel to use. But if you have a guy like him, it's crazy NOT to adapt your offensive scheme to maximize his talents and value.

jaayteetx
03-17-2012, 04:30 PM

So, let me get this right, wherever Peyton lands, he brings the system he ran in Indy with him? All the terminology, lingo, whatever, right? Ok, so even if that is true, which I highly doubt, you have everyone else learning something new. There has gotta be a learning curve there, no way he picks up right where he left off.

GP
03-17-2012, 05:32 PM
The excerpt below is why I wish the NFL would let teams like Buffalo DIE and go away. Forever. And the Jags too. All the small market teams.

Take a look at this (http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/21019/free-agency-day-3-did-the-bills-overpay-mario-williams):

As it turns out, Buffalo was more than a leverage stop for Mario Williams. We expected Williams to use an offer from the Bills, an organization that hasn't won a playoff game since 1995, to get a similarly sized deal from a more prominent team. Instead, on Thursday morning Buffalo completed the most surprising free agent signing since Reggie White in 1993, locking up Williams with a six-year deal that guarantees him an incredible $50 million. And as free agent signings go, the deal sure feels like it leans closer to masterstroke than disaster.

The $50 million guarantee is the truly incredible thing about this deal. The previous record in guaranteed money for a defensive player in free agency was set by Albert Haynesworth, and depending on what source you see for that contract, the guaranteed figure was between $36 million and $41 million. If the $50 million figure is legitimate, it dwarfs the previous record and creates a new standard for dominant defensive players to approach. Without this deal, the Packers could have gone to Clay Matthews this offseason and creditably offered him $40 million in guaranteed money as part of a new deal; now, no. 52 will probably get $52 million in guarantees on his next contract.

So, let me get this straight....the NFL has teams sharing revenue, right? A small market team like Buffalo cannot "compete" with the other teams...so a portion of revenues get sent to Buffalo to keep them afloat.

Along comers Buffalo and pays roughly $14 million more (guaranteed) than what Albert Haynesworth got. Now, this new fat contract will drive up the price for all defensive players in the league.

And it was Buffalo who did it. BUFFALO. Does that register? A team who hasn't been relevant since the mid 1990s, and has shrunk to the point of having to play in Canada. A whiny owner. Abysmal. And they paid $14 million MORE in guaranteed money than what Haynesworth received.

The NFL has to do something about these contracts. They got the rookie pay scale situation under control. Next CBA they need to get free agency pay scale resolved. They, and the fans, cannot afford this escalating war of contracts for free agents.

Buffalo and Mario, together, are not doing the NFL and its fans a service. Yet the NFL takes care of the Bills every year. Fans' money is taking care of the Bills. Simply amazing. I cannot believe this is not a story on any of the sports media channels or publications. It's sickening. It's bad when Washington does it, but it's worse when a welfare team is doing it. This is why I say they shouldn't be allowed to have the full cap as other teams do--Lower theirs, proportionately, and make them do with what they NEED. Or simply let them die.

Freaking welfare state affecting everything, even the NFL.

jaayteetx
03-17-2012, 06:27 PM
The excerpt below is why I wish the NFL would let teams like Buffalo DIE and go away. Forever. And the Jags too. All the small market teams.

Take a look at this (http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/21019/free-agency-day-3-did-the-bills-overpay-mario-williams):

So, let me get this straight....the NFL has teams sharing revenue, right? A small market team like Buffalo cannot "compete" with the other teams...so a portion of revenues get sent to Buffalo to keep them afloat.

Along comers Buffalo and pays roughly $14 million more (guaranteed) than what Albert Haynesworth got. Now, this new fat contract will drive up the price for all defensive players in the league.

And it was Buffalo who did it. BUFFALO. Does that register? A team who hasn't been relevant since the mid 1990s, and has shrunk to the point of having to play in Canada. A whiny owner. Abysmal. And they paid $14 million MORE in guaranteed money than what Haynesworth received.

The NFL has to do something about these contracts. They got the rookie pay scale situation under control. Next CBA they need to get free agency pay scale resolved. They, and the fans, cannot afford this escalating war of contracts for free agents.

Buffalo and Mario, together, are not doing the NFL and its fans a service. Yet the NFL takes care of the Bills every year. Fans' money is taking care of the Bills. Simply amazing. I cannot believe this is not a story on any of the sports media channels or publications. It's sickening. It's bad when Washington does it, but it's worse when a welfare team is doing it. This is why I say they shouldn't be allowed to have the full cap as other teams do--Lower theirs, proportionately, and make them do with what they NEED. Or simply let them die.

Freaking welfare state affecting everything, even the NFL.

Awful elitist of you.

GP
03-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Awful elitist of you.

Yeah, it's downright criminal of me to call B.S. on Buffalo's "sad state of affairs."

Poor, poor Bills. I mean, it's a hard knock life and all.

Lucky
03-17-2012, 07:03 PM
It's a salary cap league. The contracts can only go up as the total revenue goes up. Mario's just the latest and the greatest. Jason Pierre-Paul will likely top that when it's his turn.

I hear what you're saying about the Bills taking your cash and using it to steal your players. But there's something cool about a little market team having the ability to get a premium free agent. You'll never see the Royals or Pirates able to sign a Pujols or A-Rod. That's what makes the NFL the greatest league in sports.

paycheck71
03-17-2012, 07:59 PM

You do know that Houston couldn't compete with teams from NY, LA (if they had one), Chicago, and probably even Philly, if there was no revenue sharing, right? Just look at baseball...

jaayteetx
03-17-2012, 08:04 PM
You do know that Houston couldn't compete with teams from NY, LA (if they had one), Chicago, and probably even Philly, if there was no revenue sharing, right? Just look at baseball...

Maybe in baseball, but in football, at least right now, Houston would do just fine, thank you. Now, if the team turns into a perinneal loser and people stop renewing their tickets...

paycheck71
03-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Maybe in baseball, but in football, at least right now, Houston would do just fine, thank you. Now, if the team turns into a perinneal loser and people stop renewing their tickets...

Season ticket sales is just a small portion of your total revenue. If you divide TV revenue money based on media market rankings, Houston would have a hard time keeping up with the larger markets. Houston is #10 or #11 in the country.

TheIronDuke
03-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Season ticket sales is just a small portion of your total revenue. If you divide TV revenue money based on media market rankings, Houston would have a hard time keeping up with the larger markets. Houston is #10 or #11 in the country.

So we'd be screwed in a 9-team NFL then.

paycheck71
03-17-2012, 08:40 PM
So we'd be screwed in a 9-team NFL then.

I imagine anyone outside of the top 5 would probably be screwed with any size NFL larger than 5. And by screwed I mean unable to compete consistently. Sure, you could overspend and build a team, but then you'd have to break it up because you can't afford it.

fiasco west
03-17-2012, 09:37 PM

According to Forbes the Texans are one of the most valuable franchises in the NFL...

Trap_Star
03-17-2012, 09:57 PM
lol @ mario going to the "it was my best friend card"...what a f'n puss.

Mr. White
03-17-2012, 10:13 PM
lol @ mario going to the "it was my best friend card"...what a f'n puss.

Just what I was thinking. Looks like he pulled a Jedi mind trick on Jerome Solomon too.

Jerome Solomon ‏ @JeromeSolomon
@Dunnofthe Dead No, I didn't argue with anyone. You must have misread the tweets. No one hacked my account. No tweets came from me.
In reply to Owen Dunn

Jerome Solomon ‏ @JeromeSolomon
@ozwaldthedog I didn't make any comments to Mario last night. Haven't deleted any tweets.

I've never seen a more passive-aggressive Twitter war.

TheIronDuke
03-17-2012, 10:15 PM
According to Forbes the Texans are one of the most valuable franchises in the NFL...

To be more precise, 9th most valuable sports team in the world.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45fdhk/no-9-houston-texans/#gallerycontent

Trap_Star
03-17-2012, 10:22 PM
that says a lot about mario...has the balls to talk down on somone when he won't have to deal with that person again, and you could tell he wanted to do it for the longest now....and when confronted by that person, he still manages to shrivel up.

GP
03-17-2012, 11:00 PM

You're wrong, but others have already corrected it for me.

Mr teX
03-18-2012, 12:31 AM

Well of course its not his system in the sense of him creating it..of course not. But lets face it, there aren't but a handful of qb's in the game..probably history who could run that system to perfection like Manning did/does.

The other thing is, nobody really knew who Tom Moore was until he hooked up with Manning. So in a sense it is manning's system b/c noone has run Moore's system as perfectly before or since Manning's arrival.

infantrycak
03-18-2012, 03:37 AM
Well of course its not his system in the sense of him creating it..of course not. But lets face it, there aren't but a handful of qb's in the game..probably history who could run that system to perfection like Manning did/does.

The other thing is, nobody really knew who Tom Moore was until he hooked up with Manning. So in a sense it is manning's system b/c noone has run Moore's system as perfectly before or since Manning's arrival.

OK. Describe the intricacies of the Manning system which only he can run. Point out the specifics of what is different about it that can't be run by anyone but a hall of fame QB.

gafftop
03-21-2012, 09:22 AM
This thread was originally started back in MARCH 2011 before the season started last year.

It started as a thread on trading Mario to get Aso. It was my attempt to GET SOMETHING for Mario before we lost him and got NOTHING which sadly is what happened.

I am not sure why this thread has beem merged and the title changed to Buffalo and moved to NFL. This was the 2nd MOST VIEWED thread and 2nd most active thread in the Texans history.

I don't think it belongs in the NFL section. I think this question of
"What to do with Mario" is one of the most important decisions in the Texans history.

We now are seeing the results of that decision.

Please look at some of the posts before it was merged.

Most of these post were before the start of the 2011 season when maybe we could have traded Mario for draft choices, freed up money to extend some of our players before they hit free agency like we did to Foster this year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop
We spread out the risk if we make the trade. We need alot of help on defense. If Mario was a sure thing in the new system then I don't know if it makes as much sense. But Mario is a BIG question mark. I don't think the Texans can gamble and hope he is happy in his new role and healthy. I do think he is thought of highly around the NFL or at least I hope he is or this deal will not work. Gary above said in one instant a player could be gone. If we do nothing we only have Mario. If someone is willing to trade maybe we get 3 for 1 and even if 1 goes down we have 2 other productive players. Also maybe NA is not the one to get. Maybe you get 2 highly productive players and a draft choice in the trade and sign someone else in FA, then package the 11 with the choice picked up and move up to get a better player in the draft. I don't know. All I know is if the trade happens we have multiple chance to be successful. Keep Mario and you are rolling the dice on Mario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan
Agreed

Plus MW is going to be due a huge contract extention after this season. (He will get one whether it's from the Texans are somebody else based on untapped potential) So the time is right to trade him now while you can get something close to maximum value.

MW is one of those guys who will leave you at the altar. In short he's overrated. (Always got some kind of freak injury.) The Texans need to rebuild this defense with high character guys. Not guys who are more worried about bling and racing their sports cars. Am I the only one that gets the feeling that football isn't the #1 priority in MW's life?

Quote:
Simplified possible Mario outcomes next season:
1. Plays good when healthy but has some type of nagging injury as last two years
2. Does not adapt to 3-4.
3. Plays great in his contract year

In 1 we get probably nothing or do we get compensation because we do not sign as we did with Dunta. Last pick in draft. LOL

In 2 same as 1

In 3, do you want to give Mario say 20+ million for the next 5 years based on his last year of performance. Say the cap is 120 million. If you divide in half, half for offense and half for defense, do you really want to give Mario 33% of all money for defense? I sure don't. DO YOU?

In reality probably no player is worth that large of % of cap. Maybe Peyton or Brady etc QBs of that caliber may be the only position that warrants that and even then it is a crap shoot because of injury.

The above is why I think IF you can get a good deal in a trade this year you do it.

It is very likely that other teams view Mario in the same way and will give nothing for him this year. I don't know. But if there are teams out that that covet him I think it should seriously be considered by the Texans.

I don't think Aso is a good deal based on reasoning above.
Just my opinion.

Quote:
I tend to agree with you. It makes me sick that we will get nothing or worse we sign Mario to another big contract. I would be OK with a proven player and a high draft choice next year. That is better than nothing. The Patriots get incrementally better with each trade. It may not be a blockbuster trade but they do get better and younger. The overall talent level of the team is always getting better, plus they know talent that allows them to continually get better. The Texans on the other hand tend to make trades that makes no difference or more often makes them worse. Have they ever made a trade that improved the team? I know Schaub, but we did not give up an actual player. Have we ever traded a player and received a draft choice or player? i umderstand we don't have a lot to trade. Mario is about the only one that MAY have value that I would trade. Just rambling now not looking forward to this coming season.

Quote:
If a trade had been made and we had a 1A WR and a quality CB where would we be? Exact same team we have now only instead of Mario we have a 1A wr and a quality CB. Even before the Mario injury I would have been in favor of the WR and CB. I think Jamison played good. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Heard today that the franchise cost on Mario is about 20 mill. When I made statement above I thought his franchise cost would be 10 mill as a LB. Sorry at 20 mill or 1/7 of whole salary cap for the TExans for next year I would say pass. Just don't sign him to a big dollar long term contract. Just my opinion.

This season is over. Now we have to deal with the biggest decision maybe in the Texans history. What to do with Mario.

The best option is long passed and that was to trade him before the season started. Now what do you do with him. I can't possibly see how we pay him $20 mill to franchise. I don't see him giving us any special deal. We have many needs and I wouldn't like the message sent to the rest of the team if we sign Mario at the expense of current players. I am tired of people saying we have salary cap issues that keep us from signing FA or our own players when we pay Mario $17 million. You don't build a team when you pay that type of money to Mario.

I know I am obsessed with this issue but it will overshadow any other decisons made this offseason and will dffect this team for years to come.

I know many will say sign him to a long term deal pay him a big bonus so he only counts $7-$8 million against the cap. Still don't see how you do this and not hurt the team.

What are the feelings out there. Are they the same as they were last year when I started this thread. My main concern back then was injury and motor and my main concern now is injury and motor.

Foster said nothing all season. NOW is the time to take care of him not Mario.

Mr teX
03-21-2012, 09:40 AM
MODS.........please end this thread...gafftop is about to have an athysma attack tooting his own horn...jeez

gafftop
03-21-2012, 10:00 AM
MODS.........please end this thread...gafftop is about to have an athysma attack tooting his own horn...jeez

My whole deal is this should not be here in NFL. I could give a rats ass about my horn. The true meaning of this thread should be preserved.

I guess you don't believe in freedom of speech either.

texan279
03-21-2012, 05:18 PM
please delete mods

TheMatrix31
03-21-2012, 11:12 PM

You promise?!

Wolf
05-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Not really sure how I've reached 300lbs but yet I'm faster and look better than ever physically as well as strength coming off a pec injury

@RCWeich nah it's a great weight. I've gained 10lbs eating healthy n working out a lot. I've always played at 290

Mario's twitter on may 3

@JCSag10 I had twitter for not even a yr out of the six yrs there

that is why we haven't heard anything

5th person in houston today to ask where do I work out at and what do I do lol

Mario's twitter on may 5
https://twitter.com/#!/bbwolf90