PDA

View Full Version : Mario movement rumors (MERGED) Signs with Buffalo $100 million

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

Playoffs
03-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Kinda funny how ESPN talking heads today all saying how great it would be for Mario to sign with Buffalo ... great for the league, great fans ...

More like Mario would be taking one for the league. Buffalo has a player, now. "Thanks Mario" ... enjoy your stay up there. :ahhaha:

Kimmy
03-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Everyone wringing their hands over the lack of Texans movement need to understand they are negotiating from a position of strength. McNair's assembled first class coaching talent now, and coaching is key in the NFL.

Nothing happens until Mario's off the board. What, you want them to cap out only to have Mario Williams come back ready to do a reasonable deal? That wouldn't be smart. For all the bitching we do about him, he's in his prime. We don't want to lose him now, if we can somehow afford him.

I said the same thing about 20 post back! We just need to simmah down and see what happens.

Then everyone can continue to b!tch ;)

ChampionTexan
03-14-2012, 10:27 PM
This little gem just popped up on Twitter:

Click the link in the tweet.

Hmmm...

Maybe Wannstedt invited him to his house for a sleepover.

badboy
03-14-2012, 11:01 PM
While I was off MB, Espn reported that Mario had left Buffalo and headed for airport. Someone else allegedly did a "drive by" interview with Williams who said he was waiting to pickup his fiance who was flying in.

Dutchrudder
03-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Kinda funny how ESPN talking heads today all saying how great it would be for Mario to sign with Buffalo ... great for the league, great fans ...

More like Mario would be taking one for the league. Buffalo has a player, now. "Thanks Mario" ... enjoy your stay up there. :ahhaha:

For a few years there, he was pretty much the only thing that made the Texans interesting. Now we are all grown up and have lots of talent!

DX-TEX
03-14-2012, 11:08 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/35122/mario-williams-brings-fiance-to-buffalo#comment

If and when Williams signs with the Bills, the Texans may become more active. They've set aside the money they offered the outside linebacker/defensive end in case he changes course and decides to accept.

If he doesn't, those dollars will come free and we can expect them to try to retain their free-agent center, Chris Myers

WAIT! So we are holding back on signing ANYONE while Mario makes up his damn mind?? WTH?

GP
03-14-2012, 11:09 PM

If he signs, they should do nothing but praise how awesome Mario WAS in order to get this new big, fat deal with Buffalo.

I want to see them doing "We were wrong" stories about how Houston was dumb to select him over Reggie and Vince.

Instead, they will be saying "Houston is stoopid" for not setting aside enough money and cap space to afford re-signing him. "How could they let him get away? Yeah, they were smart to select him in the draft...but why be smart in the draft and then become stoopid when he hits free agency?"

I can see it now. It's going to happen. Houston will never be afforded any credit in its fullest form. Probably not even if we win a SB. They will think of reasons why we lucked out and why we will not repeat the next year. It is what it is, right?

DX-TEX
03-14-2012, 11:10 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/35122/mario-williams-brings-fiance-to-buffalo#comment

If and when Williams signs with the Bills, the Texans may become more active. They've set aside the money they offered the outside linebacker/defensive end in case he changes course and decides to accept.

If he doesn't, those dollars will come free and we can expect them to try to retain their free-agent center, Chris Myers

WAIT! So we are holding back on signing ANYONE while Mario makes up his damn mind?? WTH?

Texan_Bill
03-14-2012, 11:11 PM
DAMNIT!!! Has Mario had another bowel movement?? I've been constipated for weeks now... FML!!

:facepalm: Bill's bowel!!!!

Kimmy
03-14-2012, 11:13 PM
While I was off MB, Espn reported that Mario had left Buffalo and headed for airport. Someone else allegedly did a "drive by" interview with Williams who said he was waiting to pickup his fiance who was flying in.

That was earlier today, not this evening

fiasco west
03-14-2012, 11:14 PM
They have been pretty fair. They have been saying that the reason Mario is available is because he's too expensive for the team and team had success without him.

I haven't heard any ragging on the team yet, I think they are just happy about him possibly going there. Although I'm sure it wouldn't be such a big story for them if he were just resigning.

GP
03-14-2012, 11:18 PM
They have been pretty fair. They have been saying that the reason Mario is available is because he's too expensive for the team and team had success without him.

I haven't heard any ragging on the team yet, I think they are just happy about him possibly going there. Although I'm sure it wouldn't be such a big story for them if he were just resigning.

Correct. See? You thought you had it figured out. You thought you found a way to let the talking heads SEEM to be talking positive about us...but then you realized how it wouldn't have been HUGE NEWS! if the Texans had re-signed him.

LOL. I'm just messing around. Bored as hell right now, there's nothing else to talk about.

badboy
03-14-2012, 11:24 PM

WAIT! So we are holding back on signing ANYONE while Mario makes up his damn mind?? WTH?Uh, welcome to free agency 2012?

leebigeztx
03-14-2012, 11:25 PM

Yep,and as I said,its buffalo will have to beat 44m in the 1st 3 yrs and even then bob gets a return match call.

GP
03-14-2012, 11:29 PM

Has any other Texans UFA signed with any other team yet?

Who is just DYING to get their hands on Dominique Barber? Jason Allen? All these guys would be thankful if the Texans produced a contract for them to sign.

I have a feeling that we might not be willing to give Myers, and maybe Briesel, what they want...so they're having their agents check around for a better deal somewhere else. In the meantime, Mario is dragging his act out as long as he can...probably at his agent's request (to try and get more money out of Houston..."This is your laaaaast chance, Bob! We're gonna' sign, Bob. We're in Buffalo, Bob! Hello? Bob, are you there? Hello? Can you spare $500,000 more?").

All will end well. Rick got this.

DX-TEX
03-14-2012, 11:31 PM
Has any other Texans UFA signed with any other team yet?

Vickers signed with the cowboys....

GP
03-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Vickers signed with the cowboys....

Really?!?!

LOL. But that's it, so far, right? See, there has yet to be a mass exodus.

ChampionTexan
03-15-2012, 12:01 AM
Really?!?!

LOL. But that's it, so far, right? See, there has yet to be a mass exodus.

Yeah - Myers, Brisiel, Winston and obviously Mario have either made visits, or have them set up (Winston's got about five of 'em), but so far just Vickers.

GP
03-15-2012, 12:06 AM
Yeah - Myers, Brisiel, Winston and obviously Mario have either made visits, or have them set up (Winston's got about five of 'em), but so far just Vickers.

So Ward, Allen, Barber, Rackers, Dreessen, and a lot of other Texans UFAs have not made noise thus far in free agency? No tweets nor other media leaks about those guys having visits lined up or other teams looking at them, right?

Mario is the linchpin here, in this free agency saga we're enduring. Then it's Myers, and maybe Briesel to a degree. Mario and Myers are the possibly holding this stuff up. I hope the Texans reach a limit and say "OK, that's enough time. You wanna' deal or you wanna' walk? Your choice. What's it gonna' be?"

I don't want us getting our asses handed to us by a few teams who raid the cupboard while we're outside looking for Mario and Myers.

ChampionTexan
03-15-2012, 12:09 AM
So Ward, Allen, Barber, Rackers, Dreessen, and a lot of other Texans UFAs have not made noise thus far in free agency? No tweets nor other media leaks about those guys having visits lined up or other teams looking at them, right?

Mario is the linchpin here, in this free agency saga we're enduring. Then it's Myers, and maybe Briesel to a degree. Mario and Myers are the possibly holding this stuff up. I hope the Texans reach a limit and say "OK, that's enough time. You wanna' deal or you wanna' walk? Your choice. What's it gonna' be?"

I don't want us getting our asses handed to us by a few teams who raid the cupboard while we're outside looking for Mario and Myers.

Oh yeah - Dreessen has at least a couple also (Cowboys, Saints). Haven't heard anything about anyone else.

Edit: Make that just the Saints.

Mr teX
03-15-2012, 12:17 AM

The cupboard would comprise of hardly anything even if we signed everyone else but mario & meyers so i'm not worrying about the figurative cupboard being raided.

I liken it to making spaghetti. without the pasta & the sauce, you're not making spaghetti dude; even if you have the parmasean cheese, the meatballs & anything else you want to add to it.

plee1024
03-15-2012, 12:32 AM

I am surprised that Mario hasn't visited with other teams...are they the only ones interested?!? I would def. checkout other teams since the Bills haven't exactly been relevant in years....also, he'll be playing in more cold weather games. Can he just be using the Bills to set the price for the Texans?

blanco2424
03-15-2012, 12:47 AM

Joel D link talks with New Orleans http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/03/new_orleans_saints_will_bring_2.html

mussop
03-15-2012, 12:58 AM
Yep,and as I said,its buffalo will have to beat 44m in the 1st 3 yrs and even then bob gets a return match call.

If this is what we are doing it would be the stupidest move this team ever made. Even stupider than drafting David Carr over Peppers. Basically we would be giving up 3 starting OL for 1 defensive player that hasn't played since the 5th game of last year when we already have a top 2 defense. On top of that it would strap us up against the cap for the next 3 years.

I don't care if McNair and Mario are gay lovers, there is no way he is going to do that to this franchise.

Personally I hope he signs with the Titans along with Manning. It will make it that much more satisfying when we whoop their asses. Bud can go to his grave seeing JJ Watt sacking Peyton, ending his career and watch Mario sit on the sideline, injured, soaking up their cap space not allowing them to improve their team for the next 5 or 6 years.

mussop
03-15-2012, 01:02 AM
He's gonna freeze his azzzzz off, IF he signs with Buffalo! Going from a stadium like Reliant to one of the WORST in the league will be a shocker for Mario. I've been to their stadium, and it sucks!

Not sure he'll get very far in sub zero temps and 20 ft of snow in that lambo he loves so much either. Hell, the City of Houston even allowed him to run his friggin car at Ellington!

BUT, MONEY seems to be more important to some of these guys these days than truly trying to help a team win a SB. He's got a good thing going here in Houston, has made plenty of money to secure the future for his family, and I bet the Texans are not offering him chump change to stay. BUT, that's not good enough. Hope he freezes his nuts off!!:snowday:

Is this what happened to you?

leebigeztx
03-15-2012, 01:56 AM
If this is what we are doing it would be the stupidest move this team ever made. Even stupider than drafting David Carr over Peppers. Basically we would be giving up 3 starting OL for 1 defensive player that hasn't played since the 5th game of last year when we already have a top 2 defense. On top of that it would strap us up against the cap for the next 3 years.

I don't care if McNair and Mario are gay lovers, there is no way he is going to do that to this franchise.

Personally I hope he signs with the Titans along with Manning. It will make it that much more satisfying when we whoop their asses. Bud can go to his grave seeing JJ Watt sacking Peyton, ending his career and watch Mario sit on the sideline, injured, soaking up their cap space not allowing them to improve their team for the next 5 or 6 years.

If u think they had to cut winston to have a contract for mario,you're wrong. They also have the same setup for meyers,but they have to resolve the mario situation 1st. Briesel is cheap and has had a small contract every yr, they know they can easily sign him.

Again, they need to see what mario does. His contract cap charge will be around 12m this season,so they will have plenty to sign meyers and briesel if they choose to. Remember how and where they got those guys and how they've developed those guys too. Meyers was a 5th and traded for a 5th. Briesel has always been a free agent somehow. Through the years,they've added players via the draft on the oline. If mario resigns and meyers think he's worth more and leaves, then maybe it will be time for the other guys to step up. If mario leaves,then the same will be asked by reed,barwin and company. Its really no different and neither meyers or briesel play a premium position. We will know something later today. Its probably a tough decision either way.

brakos82
03-15-2012, 02:02 AM
Just saw Mario Williams was trending #4 on yahoo search... :tinfoil:

Lucky
03-15-2012, 02:12 AM
This is beginning to remind me of when Orlando Pace and his agent played Casserly in order to get a better deal from the Rams. Mario being Pace, Buddy Nix being Casserly, and the Texans being the Rams.

Mr teX
03-15-2012, 02:25 AM
If i were him i want to leave this place too..the fans here just don't appreciate this dude & never have.

Drafted #1 overall in 2006............................"why didn't we get VY?"
"why didn't we get Bush?"

11 & 14 sack seasons.........."If he had more than a bullrush, he could've had 20"
"if he had a high motor he could've had 20"

playing OLB in Wade's system........"He's not quick enough off the edge"
" not a fluid enough athlete"

Exploring his options as a FA................. "he's all about the money"
"we don't need him.."

& on & on...on. On 1 hand, I reeeaaally want to see him come back to houston & finish out his potential HOF career here. But on the other, i think the kid deserves more & would like to see him go to a place where fans actually want him. I wonder how much of an effect being in a place like that would have on him & his career.

Marcus
03-15-2012, 03:29 AM
If i were him i want to leave this place too..the fans here just don't appreciate this dude & never have.

11 & 14 sack seasons.........."If he had more than a bullrush, he could've had 20"

"we don't need him.."

& on & on...on. On 1 hand, I reeeaaally want to see him come back to houston & finish out his potential HOF career here. But on the other, i think the kid deserves more & would like to see him go to a place where fans actually want him. I wonder how much of an effect being in a place like that would have on him & his career.

Very good post!

Accurately reflects how I feel about this Mario thing.

ObsiWan
03-15-2012, 04:11 AM

"we don't need him.."

I agree.

Norg
03-15-2012, 05:09 AM
ill add some

Hes to big for a OLB ...... seriously in this day of age we need both of our OLB the can COver and play zone and hell man to man

thunderkyss
03-15-2012, 08:35 AM
Everyone wringing their hands over the lack of Texans movement need to understand they are negotiating from a position of strength. McNair's assembled first class coaching talent now, and coaching is key in the NFL.

We may be negotiating from a position of strength, but we aren't acting like it.

We are waiting on Mario... appears that he is negotiating from a position of strength.

Having said all that, nothing happens until Mario's off the board. And he's probably gone, because my travels up north have taught me ESPN has that part of the country believing Mario Williams is an all time proverbial "beast". Seriously, you wouldn't believe it. People gush over this guy based on his ESPN hilight ragdolling Roethlisberger.

So all the power is in Mario's hands.... & Myers' hand.

It's easy for me to sit here & say what I would do. It's not my job on the line, but Rick Smith's. But here's the deal. If I were negotiating from a position of strength, my discussion with Mario & Myers would have been, " here's my best offer, if you think you can do substantially better, it was nice working with you."

I am not going to get into a bidding war with one of the worst teams in the league with deep pockets.

If I've got $14M on the line & he thinks he can get $15 or $16, then we can talk. If he's fine with the $14 but has issue with the guaranteed money, we can talk.

But I'm not going to $16 or $18, when I was uncomfortable with $14 to begin with. Same goes for Myers.

As an NFL GM, I should know what the valuation of a player is & that's where I need to draw my line. As an NFL Player's Agent, I would expect the same knowledge of valuation. My number is based on true value, his number is based on possible value. If our two numbers are too far off, then I'm done.

Just like when you go buy a car. As a sales man, if you're too far under MSRP, I'm not going to waste the time to get you in my office to "negotiate" I'm going to try to blow you off & move on to the next prospect.

There isn't another Mario Williams in FA or the Draft, there isn't another Chris Myers, but we made them more than they made us.

It's time to move on

Of course I'd be doing back-flips if they sign with us

Pantherstang84
03-15-2012, 08:54 AM

"we don't need him.."

Oh please spare us the self-righteous piety. This is an Internet message board and people are allow to vent their feelings and state their opinions. Such comments from message board posters do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the whole fan.

If Mario wants to spend the next few years in Buffalo or Chicago or wherever then fine. Just sign the paper already so the Texans can move on with their plans.

leebigeztx
03-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Thunder- its easier to find a meyers than a mario,but with that said,there are some targets in the draft and free agency.

if they lose mario, I hope they don't overpay wimbley. Romeo in cleveland made the assumption they had to get him free to get a sack. Now the last 2 yrs he's gotten a lot better and have been able to convert his speed to power. He would be a good value at 9m per yr,but nothing more. I would also like to see marcus benard come in. He missed last yr because he got hurt,but he looks natural standing up and rushing.

In regards to replacing meyers, I think he's made for certain types of teams. He's not an anchor type,buthes great on that train track in zone scheme. Just like they plucked him off denver for a 5th,I think they know his value,but he's gonna have to wait on mario.

False Start
03-15-2012, 09:59 AM
There is now a Mario to Buffalo Twitter account (https://twitter.com/#!/Mario2Buffalo). :heh:

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Alex Marvez ‏ @alexmarvez

Source tells me Williams-to-Bills deal "should be getting done." Let's see if they're right. We'll know soon.

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva

Schefter on Mario: "Problem they're having is 2 other tms jumped into the mix. ... (But) no tm is willing to offer as much $ as the Bills."

IDEXAN
03-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Alex Marvez ‏ @alexmarvez

Source tells me Williams-to-Bills deal "should be getting done." Let's see if they're right. We'll know soon.

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva

Schefter on Mario: "Problem they're having is 2 other tms jumped into the mix. ... (But) no tm is willing to offer as much $ as the Bills."
This is dragging out too long if your a Bills fan, as Mario is spending too much time thinking about it (or maybe he's waiting to see what Manning does ?).
I for one would rather play the Titans with Manning/without Mario than vice-versa ?

aussie_texan
03-15-2012, 10:51 AM
This is dragging out too long if your a Bills fan, as Mario is spending too much time thinking about it (or maybe he's waiting to see what Manning does ?).
I for one would rather play the Titans with Manning/without Mario than vice-versa ?

this is dragging on to much for texans fans!

beerlover
03-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Mario is just weighing his options. If the Texans really wanted him they would have franchised him then worked out a long term cap friendly deal. He will probably take less from another team than sign with Buffalo & would have taken even less to remain a Texan :toropalm:

IDEXAN
03-15-2012, 11:08 AM
this is dragging on to much for texans fans!
Mario is gone from Houston, TX. Forget about Mario, we are struggling mightily to just put a deal together to retain Chris Myers. That's our top priority now, Mario is history in Houston.

Pantherstang84
03-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Mario is gone from Houston, TX. Forget about Mario, we are struggling mightily to just put a deal together to retain Chris Myers. That's our top priority now, Mario is history in Houston.

I think the only person in Houston that needs to be convinced of this is Uncle Bob. Uncle Bob, you gotta let him go.

Playoffs
03-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Buffalo has met most of the conditions for a deal for Texans free agent LB Mario Williams and is "close to a deal." Answer "real soon."

HoustonFrog
03-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Per Twitter

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Reply RetweetedRetweet
Delete
FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details Buffalo has met most of the conditions for a deal for Texans free agent LB Mario Williams and is "close to a deal." Answer "real soon."

Pantherstang84
03-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Per Twitter

Hope this is true. We gotta get going.

HOU-TEX
03-15-2012, 11:26 AM
I think Mario's a good player, but man, it sounds like the Bills are going to screw themselves in a major way. I'm hearing at least 50 guaranteed

arb729
03-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Pete Prisco Twitter:

Good for NFL when a player like Williams picks small-market team like Bills if he does. It also speaks about what they are paying him.

Yeah, he chose them because he wants a competitive balance in the league..

arb729
03-15-2012, 11:34 AM
IMO, the only reason Mario hasn't gone anywhere else but Buffalo is because they're the only ones willing to pay him what they're offering.

Sorry if that's been said already but it honestly just occurred to me.

badboy
03-15-2012, 11:37 AM
I think Mario's a good player, but man, it sounds like the Bills are going to screw themselves in a major way. I'm hearing at least 50 guaranteedI've heard $50 m also. Well good luck keeping you gonads warm Mr. Williams. Next FA up!

Thorn
03-15-2012, 11:40 AM
50 million guaranteed is way over priced for Mario. Buffalo fans might be happy about this at first, but over time, they'll realize what a bad deal this is.

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Calvin Johnson reupped for 60 million guaranteed yesterday. You think Mario wants that much?

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 11:43 AM
**** you Mario!!

Mods can now move this to the NFL forum and get this stench out of the Texans forum!

GP
03-15-2012, 11:44 AM
He went where the money was the largest. Period.

All this stuff about how Mario wants to help them get over the hump is really people getting figuratively humped by Mario because he wouldn't have played for the Bills for the same amount as what we or the Bears would have offered.

I love when guys say they just want to be a big piece in the puzzle of helping them "get over the top." OK, hot shot. So all things being equal...what if Buffalo had offered you the same money as Houston or Chicago? You still going to go there for the sake of helping them get better? No, you wouldn't. You are going there for the money, so just admit it.

"I appreciate the Texans, immensely. They chose me above two other players, and I feel we each met our contractual duties with great character. Because an NFL career can be very brief, I have chosen Buffalo because they are a great team and have a great fan base. And it also helped that I am earning the most that I can earn with them, which makes me very honored to play for the Bills."

That's the sort of thing you can say in a presser that is BELIEVABLE. If all he does is tout how awesome it is to be a huge factor in their upcoming success, then what a load of hog wash. He should at least be honest that HE chose the Bills based mostly on the dollars. Fans deserve that much, just a level of transparency that makes his exit from Houston understandable beyond the idea that he went to Buffalo to help them out and he was not going to be any help to Houston. Because you know what? We need help getting over the top, too. So be honest about the dollars. That's not asking too much, IMO.

gtexan02
Hoping this is a Leigh Bodden situation where he uses another team to get us to make an offer

Texan_Bill
Actually I'm not that mad about it at all. He's being way overpaid for what he brings to the table and quite frankly didn't really live up to his $54 million rookie contract.

Thorn
03-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Owners that give out deals like that are just hurting themselves in the long run. This kind of foolishness is ruining pro sports. They ***** about their costs, yet willingly makes deals like this.

Screw 'em.

badboy
03-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Calvin Johnson reupped for 60 million guaranteed yesterday. You think Mario wants that much?I think Mario is mooning those fans who did not want him first pick. Sort of "how do you like me now?" and "it's all about me!" by that country western singer.

DonnyMost
03-15-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm ready to move on.

Let's retool the offense, please.

IDEXAN
03-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Actually I'm not that mad about it at all. He's being way overpaid for what he brings to the table and quite frankly didn't really live up to his $54 million rookie contract.
I agree and say good luck to him, break the bank if you can Mario.
I'd be pizzed at the Texans if they gave him that kind of deal, assuming they could which of course they can't.
BTW, the winters may be nasty in Buffalo, but with the kind of money he's getting he'll have a great second home in south FLA, or wherever he chooses.

Nawzer
03-15-2012, 11:52 AM
I wish Mario Williams good luck. He's a hard working guy who played through injuries for the sake of the team. We didn't hear him complain after most of the city was against him being picked no.1 overall. If I were in his shoes I would probably do the same thing as well and take the most amount of money. All this talk about a home town discount and wanting to play for a winner is silly. At the end of the day this is a business and Mario made a good business decision. I think this isn't all bad for the Texans either. The Bills are overpaying for Mario and I don't think the Texans are in a position where they need to do something like that. We have to spend our money more carefully and I think Rick Smith will definitely get us a good no.3 pass rusher. We all knew this day was coming so it's not surprising or disappointing to me. Would've liked to have had Mario re-sign with us for a reasonable price, but $50 million guaranteed is too much imo.

GP
03-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Hoping this is a Leigh Bodden situation where he uses another team to get us to make an offer

I doubt this is the case. There's zero chance of us matching what the Bills are offering.

If he's been in Buffalo this long, he's only making triple certain that everything is on the up-and-up before signing the deal. Because by now, the Texans would have countered.

To me, this is more about Bob being respectful of Mario and not going out and spending up any FA dollars until Mario is 100% "gone." He doesn't want it to look like he gave up on him and never waited for him. Bob is overly generous like that, which irks me sometimes but makes me proud sometimes too.

THAT is the way to think about it, Bill. 100%.

The Texans, IMO, would have been short-sighted had they just written him a blank check. In fact, I think the writing was on the wall last off-season when we acquired Joseph and Manning...to me, that represented that we were dedicating ourselves to rounding out the defensive side of the ball rather than making Mario the kingpin and surrounding him with above-average talent.

The shift to a better secondary might have been the clue that Mario was not going to be THE big dawn on campus after 2011.

I'm beginning to wonder if he really even tore his pec muscle now. Or was that a way to sit out the 2011 season so that he wouldn't risk being severely hurt just before he hits free agency??? I know that's a serious charge to level at a player, and I have no proof of it, but it is curious that this happened very early in the season. Can the team staff's doctors know 100% through imaging techniques that a guy has torn a pec muscle?

Owners that give out deals like that are just hurting themselves in the long run. This kind of foolishness is ruining pro sports. They ***** about their costs, yet willingly makes deals like this.

Screw 'em.

Exactly. What's even worse is that the Ralph Wilsons of the NFL world...those teams who are in small markets...are being propped up by the richer teams in larger markets via revenue sharing. Yet here are the Bills paying OUT THE NOSE for Mario Williams! I mean, seriously?

Look, I know the poor teams have to be allowed to get competitive to stay relevant and so forth. But maybe they should have a smaller cap number if they cannot produce more to the revenue pool than teams like Dallas, Houston, New York, etc. Why should you still be allowed to receive monetary help from the other teams AND get to purchase players up to the same cap number as everyone else? I mean, if you take the revenue sharing deal...then your cap number should be reduced. Refuse to receive assistance, then you can have the full cap to utilize. But you can't have the best of both worlds.

Otherwise, this is really teams like Dallas and Houston SUPPLEMENTING the Bills' purchase of Mario Williams. I'm with you, Thorn.

tedr
03-15-2012, 11:58 AM
It would be very difficult to pass up the money being talked about. Although I think his chances for a championship would be much better here, I wish him well, wherever he ends up. I think the Texans need to concentrate on the other side of the ball- I really hope we don't lose Myers and Brisiel, and Dreessen for that matter. Hopefully by the end of free agency, we'll be at least as good as we were before it started- I'll reserve my judgment for that time.

arb729
03-15-2012, 11:59 AM
I just want this whole thing to be settled. I'm just waiting on the Twit-date that makes it official

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 12:02 PM

Screw 'em.

Especially in a town like Buffalo that has has to play one game a year north of the border. Sure the fans will be ignited at first. Well until after the second or third year in a row that Mario is "playing hurt" and can't quite play up his potential.

El Tejano
03-15-2012, 12:13 PM
He's not in the division and that's all that matters.

GP
03-15-2012, 12:17 PM

Another "plus," I agree.

1. We are not overpaying and therefore not setting us up for cap hell.

2. We won't face him twice-per-year and therefore NOT run the risk of being laughed at IF he had gone bonkers on us with Titans/Jags/Colts.

3. We can hopefully re-sign our own guys that we need, primarily Myers and then maybe Briesel. The Winston cut demands we place a high priority on Myers and Briesel.

Playoffs
03-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Chris Mortensen ‏ @mortreport Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Bills have a 1:30 presser to announce Mario Williams signing, per sources.

Playoffs
03-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Bye-bye...

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90470

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Really? We need to start another Mario thread??

Starting a new thread clutters things up.

TexCanada
03-15-2012, 12:27 PM
http://iedei.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/lamborghini_snow_3.jpg?w=580

The Medic01
03-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Chris Mortensen ‏ @mortreport Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Bills have a 1:30 presser to announce Mario Williams signing, per sources.

Alright he's gone FO let's move .

welsh texan
Exactly. What's even worse is that the Ralph Wilsons of the NFL world...those teams who are in small markets...are being propped up by the richer teams in larger markets via revenue sharing. Yet here are the Bills paying OUT THE NOSE for Mario Williams! I mean, seriously?

Look, I know the poor teams have to be allowed to get competitive to stay relevant and so forth. But maybe they should have a smaller cap number if they cannot produce more to the revenue pool than teams like Dallas, Houston, New York, etc. Why should you still be allowed to receive monetary help from the other teams AND get to purchase players up to the same cap number as everyone else? I mean, if you take the revenue sharing deal...then your cap number should be reduced. Refuse to receive assistance, then you can have the full cap to utilize. But you can't have the best of both worlds.

Otherwise, this is really teams like Dallas and Houston SUPPLEMENTING the Bills' purchase of Mario Williams. I'm with you, Thorn.

I like the system they use in the Football League over here (That is soccer, and from 1 league below the Premier League down to the 4th League below) All 92 teams across 3 divisions are fully professional clubs and have to work to a cap of 60% of their turnover from the previous year. Now, football is in a bit of a mess atm and there are teams on the brink of going under for other reasons, but in itself I think its a great idea.

Why not force financial fair play through making clubs live within their means rather than simply doling the weak links. You could still have an upper cap limit so that the super rich can't get way out in front, and you still have the draft system to even out the flow of talent into the league.

In doing this, you could do away with revenue sharing, at least for match day income, and by forcing all teams to run within their own means, you can still make sure that no team is going to go out of business.

Anyway, it'll never happen so no point bitching about it now.

Best of luck to Mario, thought he was always facing an uphill battle having been 'the worst #1 pick of all time' etc and he probably was done a disservice by his coaching for the vast majority of his time in Htown. He's also been a big part of our turn-around, especially the struggle to reach the point where guys like JoJo and Manning actually wanted to come here.

He'd better play out the full season for the Bills though, I wouldn't fancy standing on the sidelines in December in Buffalo.

Dutchrudder
I suggest temp bans for everyone who creates a new "Mario signs with Bills" thread...

Ole Miss Texan
03-15-2012, 12:29 PM

Another "plus," I agree.

1. We are not overpaying and therefore not setting us up for cap hell.

2. We won't face him twice-per-year and therefore NOT run the risk of being laughed at IF he had gone bonkers on us with Titans/Jags/Colts.

3. We can hopefully re-sign our own guys that we need, primarily Myers and then maybe Briesel. The Winston cut demands we place a high priority on Myers and Briesel.

I wish him nothing but the best. Can't blame the guy one bit getting that kind of pay day. I'm really glad the Texans didn't overspend and glad he's not in our division.

Now we get to see him face Brady twice a year! I'll also enjoy watching him knock the snot outta Sanchez. Anything to beat up on the Jets and Patriots is great.

The Medic01
03-15-2012, 12:29 PM
I like the system they use in the Football League over here (That is soccer, and from 1 league below the Premier League down to the 4th League below) All 92 teams across 3 divisions are fully professional clubs and have to work to a cap of 60% of their turnover from the previous year. Now, football is in a bit of a mess atm and there are teams on the brink of going under for other reasons, but in itself I think its a great idea.

Why not force financial fair play through making clubs live within their means rather than simply doling the weak links. You could still have an upper cap limit so that the super rich can't get way out in front, and you still have the draft system to even out the flow of talent into the league.

In doing this, you could do away with revenue sharing, at least for match day income, and by forcing all teams to run within their own means, you can still make sure that no team is going to go out of business.

Anyway, it'll never happen so no point bitching about it now.

Best of luck to Mario, thought he was always facing an uphill battle having been 'the worst #1 pick of all time' etc and he probably was done a disservice by his coaching for the vast majority of his time in Htown. He's also been a big part of our turn-around, especially the struggle to reach the point where guys like JoJo and Manning actually wanted to come here.

He'd better play out the full season for the Bills though, I wouldn't fancy standing on the sidelines in December in Buffalo.

Marios gone bills got him.

Nawzer
03-15-2012, 12:30 PM
So will someone explain to me what this means for us salary cap wise? Does this open up new funds for us or are we still going to be up against it?

welsh texan
03-15-2012, 12:31 PM
I suggest temp bans for everyone who creates a new "Mario signs with Bills" thread...

I've frankly been surprised by the number of Mario threads there have been allowed to co-exist over the last few months.

Playoffs
03-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Really? We need to start another Mario thread??

Starting a new thread clutters things up.You're right. Biggest free agent signing away from Texans doesn't deserve a thread. :smiliepalm:

TexCanada
03-15-2012, 12:32 PM
So will someone explain to me what this means for us salary cap wise? Does this open up new funds for us or are we still going to be up against it?

We don't know for sure, but we are thinking that we may have set aside some space for Mario until he decided. Hopefully that is the case and we can now set about getting our Oline back together for the most part.

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 12:33 PM

The funds were always open, it's just a matter of the GM setting aside a portion of our cap space to make an offer to X player. If they had 9 million set aside for the year 2012 in Mario's offer, they can now allocate that towards other players further down in their priorities. The money was always available, but if they use up too much of it, then they can't keep the offer on the table for Mario.

Now that Mario's out of the picture, I expect Chris Myers to be signed soon.

welsh texan

Nobody knows for sure, but if you read around some of the more informed posters we are anywhere from $650k under (and were never in with a shot) to $30 mill under in which case we may well have been waiting on Mario signing somewhere to move on. Lets all hope we sign someone pretty quickly now to ease all our worries.

ObsiWan
I think there are a few guys here who are raising the red flag this statement points to. Albeit they are saying if we spend the money on Mario Williams, we would be hamstrung as an organization in the future.

HeLLo we are hamstrung now, which tells me that something went wrong. We made bad assumptions, we're paying someone too much.... something.

A week ago, we were thinking we're going into the draft looking at BPA, using FA to add the finishing touches to a potent Super Bowl contender.

Now, we're trying to piece-meal an offensive line in front of the best RB in the NFL.

When we were mediocre, it didn't matter. he could mess up & chances were we'd still be mediocre. Mess up now, & it's a whole other ballgame.

We only thought the 2011 off-season was Rick Smith's most important.

Sell it however you want, whatever makes you feel good. We've just lost the second #1 overall pick in a draft, with no compensation, for the second time in 5 years.

Think about that.

That is of course if he doesn't come back, stranger things have happened.

Don't be surprised if we have to go through this when J.J. Watt's or Brian Cushing's rookie contracts expire.

It's like the Astros used to be.... we bring 'em up and get 'em started and just when they blossom, our ownership can't/won't pay 'em.

arb729
03-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Do you think it'll come out what exactly we offered him? I'd be curious to see more than anything

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 12:34 PM
You're right. Biggest free agent signing away from Texans doesn't deserve a thread. :smiliepalm:

NO, it doesn't. All it does is clutter the forum and apparently the mods agree.

Now at least we can move this thread to the NFL forum and get it completely out of the Texans forum altogether.

TexCanada
03-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Do you think it'll come out what exactly we offered him? I'd be curious to see more than anything

Highly doubtful. We won't want other players/agents to know how much we have to work with.

Naiirb
03-15-2012, 12:35 PM
6 year dear according to Schefter. Curious what the numbers will be, will not be shocked if it's over 100 million.

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 12:36 PM

I'm sure they'll release the details of the deal within the next couple of days or so. I did see one rumor (not confirmed - obviously), that $50 mill. was gauranteed.

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 12:36 PM

Nope, we still don't know the details of what they offered Dunta, and if they could have gained some good PR by letting us know the numbers.

arb729
03-15-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm sure they'll release the details of the deal within the next couple of days or so. I did see one rumor (not confirmed - obviously), that $50 mill. was gauranteed.

We offered him 50 mil guaranteed?!?

Pantherstang84
03-15-2012, 12:37 PM
6 year dear according to Schefter. Curious what the numbers will be, will not be shocked if it's over 100 million.

Finally. Time to go get our two O linemen back. Good luck Mario. Have fun in Canada.

Rick you should be ringing Rosenhouse's phone now.

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 12:38 PM
I do like the fact that Mario will be getting after Tom Brady for the next few years. That does make me a little happy. FU BRADY! HAHAHA!

Mr teX
if this holds up i wish nothing but the best for the kid. Can't blame anyone for taking that kind of scratch.....& i'll still follow his progress up there.

Nawzer
Thanks for the info Tex, Welsh, and Dutch.

DerekLee1
03-15-2012, 12:39 PM
I can't wait to boo his money grubbing a** when the Bills visit Reliant this year. "It isn't about the money". Yeah, right. Greedy pr*ck.

DonnyMost
Bye Mario.

Enjoy mediocrity in the prime of your career.

Texan_Bill
Nope, we still don't know the details of what they offered Dunta, and if they could have gained some good PR by letting us know the numbers.

I'm not sure if I follow:

3/5/2010: Signed a six-year, $57 million contract. The deal contains $25.5 million guaranteed, including a $7 million signing bonus and $5 million of Robinson's third-year base salary. Robinson will also receive $5 million in option bonuses. 2012: $5 million, 2013: $8 million, 2014: $10 million, 2015: $11.5 million, 2016: Free Agent

Per: Rotoword (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/atl/falcons)

Or were you referring to the Texans offer to Robinson?

Maddict5
03-15-2012, 12:41 PM
best of luck to mario. il always remember him fondly for giving us a few yrs of being able to throw the 06 draft reaction back in everybody's faces!

disappointed he didnt stay but, much like peyton and the colts, circumstances meant it was just time so doubt many will be pissed about this.

once we dont f up the rest of FA like we did with dunta and get our comp 3rd il be happy

Mr teX
03-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Bye Mario.

Enjoy mediocrity in the prime of your career.

he played in medicocrity pretty much the entire time he was here...why are u so mad?

GP
My only consolation is the hope that the mods will change the title and move it to the NFL forum, along with the "What to do with Mario?" thread (which I have always wondered why it existed as a separate thread alongside this one....)

Change is a'coming. I am just thoroughly surprised that the Texans waited almost a full business week for Mario to decide on the Bills. I mean, if we've got the money to sign our own guys...we could have done that by now.

Oh well. LOL.

Dutchrudder

Or were you referring to the Texans offer to Robinson?

Yes. Usually it's tough to nail down what was offered by the team that didn't get the player. Even then, it's not always reliable information as GM's usually won't verify it.

Maddict5
I can't wait to boo his money grubbing a** when the Bills visit Reliant this year. "It isn't about the money". Yeah, right. Greedy pr*ck.

:yawn:

grow up

Ole Miss Texan
03-15-2012, 12:43 PM

Like you wouldn't do the same. I fully believe if it was close, he'd stay with the Texans. But the Bills just offered him a ridiculous that he couldn't say no to.

I have no ill feelings at all about how this transpired. I'm just ready to move on and sign our other guys. Extra room to work with now.

welsh texan
03-15-2012, 12:43 PM

Think the question was read as whether we know what the Texans offered Dunta. You've got the deal he signed in ATL.

Doubt we ever find out the truth on this one, who knows.

HOU-TEX
03-15-2012, 12:44 PM
I just want to say farewell, Mario. You're a cool cat and it was great talking with ya 4-wheelin out on the mud trails.

Porky
So he was all about the $$$$ after all. Now we know his true colors - green.

It sure as hell isn't about a championship because if that was the case, he would have tried to work out something here. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

My only grip from our side of the fence is we let a talent like that go with no real compensation.

Our team got worse yet again today. Why do I feel like someone on the SS Texans and that we are getting bombed by the enemy and we are slowly sinking. Help, I'm drowning in stupid front office decisions. :chef:

DonnyMost
he played in medicocrity pretty much the entire time he was here...why are u so mad?

Who said I'm mad?

He's rich as hell, good for him, but it's Buffalo. I lulz at that.

They suck, and will continue to suck.

Ole Miss Texan
03-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Think the question was read as whether we know what the Texans offered Dunta. You've got the deal he signed in ATL.

Doubt we ever find out the truth on this one, who knows.

Yea. And even knowing "rough" information about what the Texans may have offered doesn't tell the whole picture. A statement like "The Texans offered Dunta more money than the Falcons" could lead to people griping about Dunta and how he wanted out. When in reality while the Texans could have offered slightly more over the entire contract, the Falcons could have given him substantially more guaranteed.

It's all about how contracts are structured and that's what most of the time fans are unable to see. Therefore we really cannot comment on their decisions too much. LOL

Pantherstang84
03-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Who said I'm mad?

Yeah the folks up there thinking this signing will make them an instant contender are smoking something. This year it will probably be plantar fascaritis, sports hernia and a torn pec all at one time.

They have tons of holes up there and sunk all the money in one player. Good luck with that.

Thorn
Like you wouldn't do the same. I fully believe if it was close, he'd stay with the Texans. But the Bills just offered him a ridiculous that he couldn't say no to.

I have no ill feelings at all about how this transpired. I'm just ready to move on and sign our other guys. Extra room to work with now.

This is pretty close to how I feel about it as well. I would have hoped we'd be able to keep him, but Buffalo was just willing to pay stupid money for him.

I hate the fact salaries in pro sports are doing this, but at the same time, if someone offered to quadruple my current salary and guarantee half of it, I'd be out the door so quick you'd see nothing but the breeze.

Ryan
Thanks for the 2 great seasons and 4 potentially great injury ridden seasons.

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 12:48 PM
So he was all about the $$$$ after all. Now we know his true colors - green.

It sure as hell isn't about a championship because if that was the case, he would have tried to work out something here. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

My only grip from our side of the fence is we let a talent like that go with no real compensation.

Our team got worse yet again today. Why do I feel like someone on the SS Texans and that we are getting bombed by the enemy and we are slowly sinking. Help, I'm drowning in stupid front office decisions. :chef:

The Texans are returning all 11 starters on defense this year. We got along fine without Mario last year, we will be fine without him in 2012. Kubiak has a full draft ahead of him to improve the offense, and let Wade get a couple guys for depth at CB, NT and OLB. I think we will be OK regardless.

Mr teX
03-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Who said I'm mad?

my how we've gotten so cocky in less than 1 year. We just barely got our heads above water this past year..relax guy.

As far as buffalo, they've got a good core on defense & offense there...all they really need is a qb b/c fitzpatrick isn't going to get it done.

GP
03-15-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm only pissed at the Bills. A poor market team, propped up every year by revenue sharing from the richer more successful teams (like OURS!), ends up getting OUR guy for a ****load of money!

That's where the anger should be, IMO. Mario took what was given him, we'd all do the same thing. Take what you're given and laugh the whole way to the bank.

But the real a-holes in this equation is the Bills organization who is somehow able to land the biggest free agent in the 2012 class for an insane amount of money and yet they are poor and they need help staying afloat up there in Buffalo. What a laugher. It's like the American system of supporting the poor is mirrored in the way the NFL works.

They have to figure out a way to make poor market teams viable but without the ability to whisk away a guy like Mario Williams. Without the Bills factoring into the equation this year, who knows...we might have been able to keep Mario or could have been comparable to what Chicago was offering him.

It just sucks the way it works.

ArlingtonTexan
03-15-2012, 12:50 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article763200.ece

texan_fan80
03-15-2012, 12:50 PM
espn reports that mario has signed with the bills. so now our FO looks like idiots.

DonnyMost
03-15-2012, 12:51 PM
my how we've gotten so cocky in less than 1 year. We just barely got our heads above water this past year..relax guy.

As far as buffalo, they've got a good core on defense & offense there...all they really need is a qb b/c fitzpatrick isn't going to get it done.

...relax?

Are you projecting onto me or something?

I thought it was doubtful we'd retain Mario.

But Buffalo man, Buffalo. It's a crying shame to think that Mario won't sniff the playoffs until he's well into his 30s.

thunderkyss
Thunder- its easier to find a meyers than a mario,but with that said,there are some targets in the draft and free agency.

if they lose mario, I hope they don't overpay wimbley. Romeo in cleveland made the assumption they had to get him free to get a sack. Now the last 2 yrs he's gotten a lot better and have been able to convert his speed to power. He would be a good value at 9m per yr,but nothing more. I would also like to see marcus benard come in. He missed last yr because he got hurt,but he looks natural standing up and rushing.

This is where I am. I want Mario, but I put my best deal on the line. If we're too far out, it's time to move on. Maybe 48 hours isn't enough time. Maybe Rick has given him 72 hours, or a week. But we can't wait forever. As soon as our other "targets" start getting snatched, then we need to be prepared to make a move.

Heck, we should be interviewing these other targets now, maybe send a message. We shouldn't be sitting on our hands waiting for Mario & Myers.

In regards to replacing meyers, I think he's made for certain types of teams. He's not an anchor type,buthes great on that train track in zone scheme. Just like they plucked him off denver for a 5th,I think they know his value,but he's gonna have to wait on mario.

In my world, what Mario does has nothing to do with my plans regarding Myers. I've got a little cap space set aside for Mario, I've got a totally separate bucket for Myers. If I could sign Myers today, I would.

If I end up needing more money to sign Mario, I'll go back to the renegotiating table. Really, I'd get all the renegotiating out of the way that I think I might need. OD, I plan on him being here for a long time. Antonio Smith, same thing. Demeco for sure. If I free that money up & don't need it for Mario (which I shouldn't) I'll use that to lock up the guys who will be on the last year of their current contract.

Sitting on our hands waiting for these guys to make up their minds is no way to "control" a situation.

drunkcookie
Meh, wish we coulda kept him, but it is about money to a lot of people and organizations, so you just can't blame him... Hell, Texans just cut Winston...why? $$

At least he's not going to Tennessee...for that, i thank him...

Good luck in Toronto, Mario... May you and your lady's long walks along frozen beaches be plentiful and glorious...

Showtime100
I will wish him luck sometime in the future, but for now I'll just look forward to the Bills coming to Houston and having their heads handed to them.

Not that I wish it, but this deal has a fairly decent potential, comparatively speaking, of working out for none of the parties involved

jaayteetx
03-15-2012, 12:52 PM
The Texans are returning all 11 starters on defense this year. We got along fine without Mario last year, we will be fine without him in 2012. Kubiak has a full draft ahead of him to improve the offense, and let Wade get a couple guys for depth at CB, NT and OLB. I think we will be OK regardless.

No, they're not. Mario, when healthy, was a starter.

BigTimeTexanFan
I'm just glad he didn't end up in Jacksonville. Good luck Mario.

Ole Miss Texan
espn reports that mario has signed with the bills. so now our FO looks like idiots.

How so? It just proves to me they're being smart about not overpaying players.

DonnyMost
03-15-2012, 12:53 PM
No, they're not. Mario, when healthy, was a starter.

Don't be obtuse. Reed started the majority of the year, and since Mario was in the last year of his deal, it was officially Reed's job the moment Mario went on IR.

Blake
03-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Aaron Rodgers ‏ @AaronRodgers12
Congrats to Mario Williams signing in buffalo... far away from the NFC north, thanks big guy

Looks like Aaron Rodgers agrees with some of our posters that Mario is a bum.

GP
Thanks for the 2 great seasons and 4 potentially great injury ridden seasons.

I know, right? LOL.

All we can hope for now...is that it was Mario who was holding up our FA plans.

If we don't see some moving and shaking in the next few days, then it means we are strapped for cash and can't even afford our own guys. However, I would have expected us to have cut more guys like JJ and DeMeco, and maybe others, if we needed enough to re-sign our own guys.

I think the cuts we made, and waiting for Mario to be 100% gone, produce enough money to make reasonable "good effort" contract proposals to our other guys and the rookie salaries after the draft.

Hopefully.

Ole Miss Texan

No Joke. Jacksonville or Tennessee. That would have SUCKED!

Mike77015
He is gone and I am glad since it means and end to all these threads. Texans can move on now and use the money they had set aside for him to keep our Oline intact.

DonnyMost

+1

Now if Manning can stay out of Tennessee, this offseason will start looking a little brighter.

Good luck most definitely, he's going to need it up there. The fightin' Ralph Wilsons aren't going anywhere fast I'm afraid.

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Re: What to do with Mario?

Move all Mario related threads to the NFL forum! :chickendance:

drunkcookie
I'm pretty sure it feels good for Mario to be wanted so bad up in Buffalo by the fans.. they all seemed very excited... I've always thought Mario was very good, yet i never got the feeling that the mjority of fans appreciated him here... Good for him, happy for him...

Ole Miss Texan
Don't be obtuse. Reed started the majority of the year, and since Mario was in the last year of his deal, Reed was the starter the moment Mario went on IR.

LOL at the thought Mario isn't a starter.

That's like saying Schaub isn't our starting QB.

If Mario re-signed with us, he'd be in the starting line up and Reed would the 3rd OLB.

HOU-TEX
03-15-2012, 12:56 PM
+1

Now if Manning can stay out of Tennessee, this offseason will start looking a little brighter.

Good luck most definitely, he's going to need it up there. The fightin' Ralph Wilsons aren't going anywhere fast I'm afraid.

I wouldn't say that. They're in a tough division, but their defense is going to be pretty dang good.

Mr teX
03-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Looks like Aaron Rodgers agrees with some of our posters that Mario is a bum.

sarcasm?

DonnyMost
03-15-2012, 12:57 PM
LOL at the thought Mario isn't a starter.

That's like saying Schaub isn't our starting QB.

If Mario re-signed with us, he'd be in the starting line up and Reed would the 3rd OLB.

But he isn't and he didn't.

Reed was our starter, then and beyond, the moment Mario went down.

Defense did just fine without Mario, would be nice to have, but 11 starters on a damn fine defense are returning. I'm not worried.

HOU-TEX
03-15-2012, 12:58 PM
I think we should let Mario sign with Buffalo. Whadaya think

Nawzer
03-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Listening to Buffalo sports talk radio and they've sucked for so long that they can't believe someone like Mario would pick their team. They're reluctantly happy and kind of confused. Lol.

Link for anyone interested: http://player.streamtheworld.com/_players/entercom/player/?id=WGR

Blake
sarcasm?

yes.

Big Lou
See ya Mario, completely understand the bussiness side of things, but this just tells me you're not committed to winning, its just a job. Completely understand, but guys like Dre want to win.

Enjoy upstate NY, should be great, hope you have some snow tires for the Lambo.

Now lets start signing the key FA's instead of dicking around with someone that was a big name, but replaceable!

Goldensilence
03-15-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm only pissed at the Bills. A poor market team, propped up every year by revenue sharing from the richer more successful teams (like OURS!), ends up getting OUR guy for a ****load of money!

That's where the anger should be, IMO. Mario took what was given him, we'd all do the same thing. Take what you're given and laugh the whole way to the bank.

But the real a-holes in this equation is the Bills organization who is somehow able to land the biggest free agent in the 2012 class for an insane amount of money and yet they are poor and they need help staying afloat up there in Buffalo. What a laugher. It's like the American system of supporting the poor is mirrored in the way the NFL works.

They have to figure out a way to make poor market teams viable but without the ability to whisk away a guy like Mario Williams. Without the Bills factoring into the equation this year, who knows...we might have been able to keep Mario or could have been comparable to what Chicago was offering him.

I am sure you just LOVE MLB and how it works. Sounds like your kind of system.

santo
03-15-2012, 01:00 PM

No it doesn't. Actually, the opposite. I'm happy the Texans aren't spending crazy amount of money on one player.

Mr. Texan
03-15-2012, 01:01 PM
http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Arab_1458ad_866327.gif

Showtime100
Wow, wiki didn't take long....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Williams

texan_fan80
How so? It just proves to me they're being smart about not overpaying players.

no. im saying we free up all of this cap space to get a player we were gonna over pay now were possibly going to lose the whole right side of our line and our center. and obviously were not pursuing peyton.

Pantherstang84
/thread

Time to move on.

Rey
I hope when we play Mario we smash him like a pumpkin. That is all.

Maddict5
03-15-2012, 01:03 PM

so basically what you're saying is only the big teams should sign the big FA's?

couldnt signing a couple marquee FA's help transform buffalo into a not so 'poor market' team?

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 01:03 PM
+1

I'm glad Mario didn't wind up anywhere in the AFC South. Manning on the other hand, I wouldn't mind seeing him go to the Tinnbreds and Bud Adams unloading a ton of money on "Paymeaton". Manning hasn't faced this defense. The last time he faced a Texans defense Frank Bush was still the Defensive Coordinator. I ain't askeered.

texan_fan80
03-15-2012, 01:04 PM
No it doesn't. Actually, the opposite. I'm happy the Texans aren't spending crazy amount of money on one player.

no. im saying we free up all of this cap space to get a player we were gonna over pay now were possibly going to lose the whole right side of our line and our center. and obviously were not pursuing peyton. i guess i should have been more clear with myself

AMartin56
03-15-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm so glad someone else overpaid for him.

I'm watching ESPN right now and they are going on and on about how awesome he is. I know ESPN=Hype Machine but this is ridiculous.

He's not a jerk... he was the right pick in '06...but it didn't pan out. He's not a high motor guy and nothing about the situation in Buffalo is going to change that.

Nothing he has ever done on the field warrants him being the highest paid defensive player ever. Reggie White is spinning in his grave right now.

Pantherstang84
03-15-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm glad Mario didn't wind up anywhere in the AFC South. Manning on the other hand, I wouldn't mind seeing him go to the Tinnbreds and Bud Adams unloading a ton of money on "Paymeaton". Manning hasn't faced this defense. The last time he faced a Texans defense Frank Bush was still the Defensive Coordinator. I ain't askeered.

Peyton is not going to be playing for them even if they sign him. Bud is getting played like a fiddle.

Nawzer
03-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Just heard on 610 that it's a 6 year $100 million deal. Of course, he's not guaranteed that amount, but still a huge contract.

Section516
03-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Pay no attention to report of 100M in total value. Pay close attention to report of 50M guaranteed, 19% higher than Peppers' 42M.

Texanator
03-15-2012, 01:08 PM
He's gone as reported by ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7690355/buffalo-bills-close-deal-mario-williams-source-says

Cjeremy635
03-15-2012, 01:09 PM
I hope when we play Mario we smash him like a pumpkin. That is all.

Pshhhhh.....he won't even be on the field. He'll probably be on IR or something.

macho grande
Sigh......

Nawzer
:goodpost:

:kubepalm:

Texanator
03-15-2012, 01:10 PM
He's now the $100 Million dollar man!

Adios Mario!

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Wow, wiki didn't take long....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Williams

Bills fans have a lot of time on their hands...

santo
no. im saying we free up all of this cap space to get a player we were gonna over pay now were possibly going to lose the whole right side of our line and our center. and obviously were not pursuing peyton. i guess i should have been more clear with myself

Ah, I see. But it's still to early to see if they messed up. Actually, I've come to realization if they sign Peyton, then they are probably the most idiotic franchise out there.

I honestly think they are waiting to sign cheaper free agents than the ones they let go.

IDEXAN
We've known for sometime he would be leaving the Texans, so I'm just happy he didn't remain in the AFA South as there were strong reports that
the Jags and the Titans were both in the running for him.
Congrats Mario and Buffalo - good luck.

mussop
03-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Thank god this is over. Wish he had gone to Tennessee. Now there is a lot of crow to be served up. :chef:

jaayteetx
03-15-2012, 01:13 PM
I don't begrudge him for going after the big payday, but when he comes to Reliant everyone should have some fun with him. Maybe some kind of Lamborghini theme or something? Oh well, on to other things.

ArlingtonTexan
03-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Just heard on 610 that it's a 6 year $100 million deal. Of course, he's not guaranteed that amount, but still a huge contract.

about 50 million guarnteed (which is not always truly guaranteed)

texan_fan80
03-15-2012, 01:14 PM
so what do yall think were going to do with the cap space we have? myers and briesel? or wide receivers in FA?:texflag::texflag::texflag:

Trap_Star
03-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Finally the bull**** is over.

b0ng
03-15-2012, 01:16 PM
I haz a sad :(

Nawzer
about 50 million guarnteed (which is not always truly guaranteed)

I don't think he'll play out that contract. He's injury prone and that was the main reason why I didn't think he was worth $40-$50 million. Julius Peppers deserved the contract he got because he's proven himself to be a truly elite pass rusher. I wish him luck though. What may be interesting is that if Winston signs with the Dolphins, you may have 2 ex-Texans going up against each other twice a year. I bet that'll be an interesting matchup.

kiwitexansfan
Well...........

Here's to unmet potential and plantar fascaitis. :glasshalffull:

darnbni99a
03-15-2012, 01:17 PM
great thread...

TejasTom
"The Bills are coming off a 6-10 season, and have missed the playoffs for 12 straight years -- the NFL's longest active drought."

I guess it was all about the money.

tedr
So, since I am incredibly cap ignorant, does this mean we will start to become more active in free agency, or are we still hamstrung even with Mario leaving?

b0ng
03-15-2012, 01:18 PM
I don't think he'll play out that contract. He's injury prone and that was the main reason why I didn't think he was worth $40-$50 million. Julius Peppers deserved the contract he got because he's proven himself to be a truly elite pass rusher. I wish him luck though. What may be interesting is that if Winston signs with the Dolphins, you may have 2 ex-Texans going up against each other twice a year. I bet that'll be an interesting matchup.

Revisionist history. Julius Peppers was older and more of a headcase than Mario Williams when Chicago signed him.

DerekLee1
so what do yall think were going to do with the cap space we have? myers and briesel? or wide receivers in FA?:texflag::texflag::texflag:

WHAT cap space? There's a reason players are being cut and that we're not signing anyone.

Pantherstang84

If the Bills were smart they will line Mario up opposite of Winston. That will help his sack numbers immensely.

texanhead08
I will repeat what I always say its always about the money when it comes to players or coaches.

Playoffs
03-15-2012, 01:19 PM
great thread...:clap:

texan_fan80
Ah, I see. But it's still to early to see if they messed up. Actually, I've come to realization if they sign Peyton, then they are probably the most idiotic franchise out there.

I honestly think they are waiting to sign cheaper free agents than the ones they let go.

yeah. with what bob mcnair said about peyton the other day it doesnt seem like were getting him. we have already miised out on vincent jacksonand reggie wayne and garcon. so i say get myers back and go get mario manningham

b0ng
So, since I am incredibly cap ignorant, does this mean we will start to become more active in free agency, or are we still hamstrung even with Mario leaving?

Supposedly the Texans were waiting on Mario's decision before taking the offer for him and splitting it up between Myers and Brisel.

Fico
WHAT cap space? There's a reason players are being cut and that we're not signing anyone.

We had money set aside for Mario, he is gone. We are not up against the cap.

ItsMyFault
03-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Bound to happen.

This team just needs to worry about getting their o-line back in order right now.

Trap_Star
03-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Buf will never be a winner in that division, and he can't ever complain about it.

Mr. Texan
03-15-2012, 01:22 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/afh3mb.jpg

:mario:

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 01:24 PM
There's never a WelshTexan when you need him.... New thread alert! :facepalm:

Showtime100
I haz a sad :(

:lol: Can I use that?

santo
yeah. with what bob mcnair said about peyton the other day it doesnt seem like were getting him. we have already miised out on vincent jacksonand reggie wayne and garcon. so i say get myers back and go get mario manningham

This I totally agree with. I wouldn't mind having Mario Manningham, the only manning I would consider. :chickendance:

D1DAVE
Bound to happen.

This team just needs to worry about getting their o-line back in order right now.Amen!:headhurts:

Pantherstang84
03-15-2012, 01:25 PM
There's never a WelshTexan when you need him.... New thread alert! :facepalm:

Bound to happen. I put the over/under of more Mario threads at 3.

Goldensilence
03-15-2012, 01:26 PM
I can't quite frankly get the outrage about it "being about the money".

Bills offered him stupid money and he took it.

If this was the Pats after they saw that their defense was still able to be a top 3 defense WITHOUT Mario Williams for the bulk of the season, they wouldn't have even blinked at letting him walk.

Mixed emotions, on one hand you got to be proud of a guy like Bob McNair in this age of Free Agency to show some loyalty. On the other there was possible pieces we could've added instead of waiting around.

I think we'll see Myers resigned, not so sure about Brisiel. We've got to start thinking about getting Brown an extension too. Also have a hard call to make on Matt Schaub next year. Barwin's contract up next season?

Nawzer
03-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Revisionist history. Julius Peppers was older and more of a headcase than Mario Williams when Chicago signed him.

I don't understand your post. So what if Peppers was older? He's been better than Mario imo and I didn't think the deal he got with the Bears was undeserved.

TexCanada
03-15-2012, 01:27 PM
I posted this in the other thread, but I figured I'd post it again now that its official:

Texan_Bill
Bound to happen. I put the over/under of more Mario threads at 3.

LMFAO!! I'm taking the OVER. :kitten:

Nawzer
I posted this in the other thread, but I figured I'd post it again now that its official:

They have buildings in Buffalo?

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 01:28 PM

You know how I know that's fake???

Because there certainly is no "W" hotel in Buffalo! :chickendance:

gtexan02
03-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Crap. Probably our most controversial player ever and was on a tear to start last season. I was really excited to see hiim full time in Wades defense. Makes me dislike the Winston move even more

Blake
03-15-2012, 01:29 PM
avatar and username are now null and void...

Goldensilence
I don't understand your post. So what if Peppers was older? He's been better than Mario imo and I didn't think the deal he got with the Bears was undeserved.

Peppers was a game changer in Carolina hands down.

TexCanada
They have buildings in Buffalo?

Haha, Mario can build one with that truckload of money they just gave him.

b0ng

Older means less years in your prime. And he was also a gigantic headcase saying he wanted play in the 3-4 and yadda yadda. He also only had like 1 or 2 sacks a year or so before he left playing all 16 games.

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 01:30 PM
I think we should let Mario sign with Buffalo. Whadaya think

Smarta$$!!!

TexCanada
03-15-2012, 01:31 PM

That could honestly be the worst part of this whole ordeal. If only Mario knew just how many lives he was affecting...

srrono
03-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Houston Texans 2012

Home: Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Ravens, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings

Away: Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Denver Broncos, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions

tedr
03-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Supposedly the Texans were waiting on Mario's decision before taking the offer for him and splitting it up between Myers and Brisel.

thanks

NitroGSXR
03-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Su-per Mar-re-OH!

We enjoyed cheering him on over the years. I'm happy for him. I hope it all works out. We will miss him.

Adios, Mar-re-OH!

ObsiWan
03-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Aaron Rodgers ‏ @AaronRodgers12
Congrats to Mario Williams signing in buffalo... far away from the NFC north, thanks big guy
Looks like Aaron Rodgers agrees with some of our posters that Mario is a bum.I took Rodgers' tweet quite another way. It's more like Rodgers is saying, "Thank Gawd I don't have to see you AND Julius Peppers Twice a year for the next five years!!!"

Kthx
03-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Considering how much money we would have had to pay him, I can't really be that upset, especially if we draft well, and make a decent FA signing or two/be able to sign Myers/Brie. Wish the guy luck over there and hope he stays healthy.

BIG TORO
03-15-2012, 01:36 PM

What will you be named now? I think you should have a poll question for it.

beerlover
03-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Bills signed DE/OLB Mario Williams to a six-year, $100 million contract.
The first ever $100 million contract for a defensive player includes $50 million guaranteed. The deal dwarves the then record six-year, $84 million pact signed by Bears RE Julius Peppers in March 2010. Peppers' deal included $42 million guaranteed. From a football perspective, the Bills provide Williams a chance to move back to his natural position of defensive end as they switch from a 3-4 to 4-3 defensive front. The No. 1 overall pick of the 2006 draft has notched 53.5 sacks in 82 career games.
Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter Mar 15 - 12:26 PM

It's a done deal!

Playoffs
avatar and username are now null and void...Oh, bummer. Hope we make the playoffs again so I can keep my username.

Ole Miss Texan
I took Rodgers' tweet quite another way. It's more like Rodgers is saying, "Thank Gawd I don't have to see you AND Julius Peppers Twice a year for the next five years!!!"

I think SM was being facetious. :boogereater:

Nawzer
Older means less years in your prime. And he was also a gigantic headcase saying he wanted play in the 3-4 and yadda yadda. He also only had like 1 or 2 sacks a year or so before he left playing all 16 games.

It's true he struggled but Peppers is an athletic freak of nature so him being older when he signed with the Bears didn't play a big role.

Section516

Fantastic Foster!
Slowbie Schaub!
Wonderful Watt!
Crazy Cushing!
Recovering Ryans!

Yeah, I'm bored

Playoffs
03-15-2012, 01:39 PM
It's a done deal!Should start a new topic, BL. :evil:

Kthx
03-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Super Mario < KillerWatt

JamesBill
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_l2VT7bYUEaY/TNpak4sEH2I/AAAAAAAALe8/KBoP38_LAI0/s1600/automotivfsafator.jpg

Nawzer
Listening to Buffalo sports talk. It's pretty interesting and funny what's going on up there.

http://player.streamtheworld.com/_players/entercom/player/?id=WGR

Goldensilence
03-15-2012, 01:42 PM

Carolina was not very good at the time and he wanted out. He got tagged two years I believe. He said he was open to playing in 3-4, and possibly could have.

http://www.nfl.com/player/juliuspeppers/2505010/careerstats

Respectively his last two years in Carolina he got 10.5 and 14.5 sacks. Still doesn't tell how often he took over games defensively.

thunderkyss
03-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Damn!!!

silentassassin
03-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Listening to Buffalo sports talk. It's pretty interesting and funny what's going on up there.

http://player.streamtheworld.com/_players/entercom/player/?id=WGR

Clicked your link and began listening. 24-year-old Bills fan said he was close to crying...geez. Anyways, I think I would be more upset that a player like him will never play in the playoffs.

ObsiWan
03-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Damn!!!

You said you would be okay with this....
:bubbles:

I am. Not happy, but "okay".

Now Uncle Bob can release the "just-in-case" funds he set aside for Mario and let the front office start courting replacements for Myers and Brisiel. You know... just in case they also get paid stupid money (for their positions).

Mr teX
03-15-2012, 01:45 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_l2vt7byueay/tnpak4seh2i/aaaaaaaale8/kbop38_lai0/s1600/automotivfsafator.jpg

qft

thunderkyss
03-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Williams' deal (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8279ef2f/article/bills-fullcourt-press-of-mario-williams-leads-to-agreed-deal?module=HP11_headline_stack) could come in around six years and be worth $96 million with $50 million guaranteed, according to league sources.

Roughly $16M/yr

More than I wanted to give him anyway. I would have tried to get him at $12M, willing to negotiate to $14M

$16 is too rich for my blood.

RagingBull
03-15-2012, 01:48 PM
This really makes the J. Jo contract seem like even more of a bargain...we could have 2 J. Jo's for that price and he actually shows up for EVERY game and always effects the outcome.

Showtime100
03-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Clicked your link and began listening. 24-year-old Bills fan said he was close to crying...geez. Anyways, I think I would be more upset that a player like him will never play in the playoffs.

He's in Buffalo, what else has he got to feel good about? :D

thunderkyss
03-15-2012, 01:52 PM
This really makes the J. Jo contract seem like even more of a bargain...we could have 2 J. Jo's for that price and he actually shows up for EVERY game and always effects the outcome.

Wrong way to think about it. Unless you expect to CB on every play.

QBs & DEs get paid more than Corners.

Who was the hottest CB in FA this year? How much did he sign for? That's what you should compare Jjo's contract to.

Texan_Bill
03-15-2012, 01:53 PM

:spit: Don't forget your sig.

HoustonFrog
03-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Move thread to NFL now?

Pantherstang84
03-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Move thread to NFL now?

Please do.

michaelm
03-15-2012, 01:59 PM
@NickScurfield:

#Texans could receive a compensatory pick as high as the 3rd round in 2013 in exchange for losing Mario Williams

michaelm
03-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Compensatory pick likely coming Texans’ way in 2013
Posted by Nick Scurfield on March 15, 2012 – 11:54 am

With Mario Williams reportedly signing a mega contract with the Buffalo Bills, the Texans could receive a compensatory draft pick as high as the third round in 2013.
Here’s an explanation on the formula for determining compensatory picks from NFL.com:

Under the rules for compensatory draft selections, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.
Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

Compensatory picks are allocated at the bottom of the third through seventh rounds. In 2010, Texans cornerback Dunta Robinson signed with the Atlanta Falcons as a free agent, but the Texans did not receive a compensatory pick for losing him because they signed guard Wade Smith and kicker Neil Rackers.
With the Texans not expected to be very active in free agency, it’s highly doubtful they’ll sign free agents from other teams of Williams’ caliber, so a decent compensatory pick should be coming their way in 2013.

http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/03/15/compensatory-pick-likely-coming-texans-way-in-2013/

got em coach
03-15-2012, 02:03 PM
http://i.qkme.me/3obrsq.jpg

Blake
03-15-2012, 02:05 PM

Who knows... Ive always been fond of Motor Boat.

:spit: Don't forget your sig.

Damn you Mario! Damn you all to hell!

RagingBull
03-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Who knows... Ive always been fond of Motor Boat.

Damn you Mario! Damn you all to hell!

Luigi is the obvious choice!:mariopalm:

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 02:10 PM

I can't fault him for it, signing Mario is the biggest win the Bills have had since 1994.

santo
03-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Should we rename one of the Mario threads "What are we going to do about our Mario smilies?"

:smiliepalm:

gtexan02
03-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Richest contract ever given to a defensive player....and yet, what has he done to deserve it? He's been a top 5-10 defensive player, but he's certainly not a top 5 guy right now. And he's coming off 2 injury plagued years.

Just seems very strange..

silentassassin
03-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Richest contract ever given to a defensive player....and yet, what has he done to deserve it? He's been a top 5-10 defensive player, but he's certainly not a top 5 guy right now. And he's coming off 2 injury plagued years.

That's how it is in NFL free agency. I imagine it will get worse as the new TV deal kicks in, revenue goes up and salary cap increases. We haven't seen anything yet...

kiwitexansfan
03-15-2012, 02:14 PM

That my friend is the smell of desperation coming from the rust belt.

TexCanada
03-15-2012, 02:17 PM
So if the money is distributed evenly over the entirety of the contract, then Mario is actually taking a pay cut compared to what we payed him last year.:kitten:

Cjeremy635
03-15-2012, 02:23 PM
The press conference for Mario is about to start in a few minutes (I think at 1:45 or so)

Here is the link to the live stream from the Bills forum, just in case any of you wanted to watch. http://www.buffalobills.com/news/live-press-conference.html

I'm going to watch because I wonder what, if anything, he'll say about his time in Houston and what not.

2012Champs
03-15-2012, 02:24 PM
well so much for those who said Mario wasnt all about money :kitten:

kiwitexansfan
03-15-2012, 02:26 PM
well so much for those who said Mario wasnt all about money :kitten:

Well that all depends how big a gap in the offers there were doesn't it.

If we were offering $65M that is a HUGE amount of money to give up.

Dutchrudder
03-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Mario Williams ‏ @bbwolf90

Thanks to all the real Texan fans out there. It has been a great ride for six years and I wish the team the very best. Much love to the

Players, coaches and staff. It is unfortunate to have to leave such a great place due to salary cap constraints and other intentions.

It is very fortunate to have the memories, sweat, blood and tears with the guys in that organization and now the opportunity to be apart of

The bills franchise and begin the drive down the road this city and people deserve. I will always love my true Texans out there and a piece

Of my heart will always remain with you and to all other bandwagon fans out there remember be careful what you say. I will see you all Either way very soon! #childsplay. GO BILLS

TheMatrix31
03-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Thank you, Mario.

It is now your duty to humble the **** out of Tom Brady and Mark Sanchez.

TexCanada
03-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Mario Williams ‏ @bbwolf90

Thanks to all the real Texan fans out there. It has been a great ride for six years and I wish the team the very best. Much love to the

Players, coaches and staff. It is unfortunate to have to leave such a great place due to salary cap constraints and other intentions.

It is very fortunate to have the memories, sweat, blood and tears with the guys in that organization and now the opportunity to be apart of

The bills franchise and begin the drive down the road this city and people deserve. I will always love my true Texans out there and a piece

Of my heart will always remain with you and to all other bandwagon fans out there remember be careful what you say. I will see you all Either way very soon! #childsplay. GO BILLS

Good stuff from Mario. He is a class act.

tak3ov3r
03-15-2012, 02:30 PM
via Mario Williams
‏@bbwolf90

Of my heart will always remain with you and to all other bandwagon fans out there remember be careful what you say. I will see you all
Either way very soon! #childsplay. GO BILLS

leebigeztx
03-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Roughly $16M/yr

More than I wanted to give him anyway. I would have tried to get him at $12M, willing to negotiate to $14M

$16 is too rich for my blood.

Yep, I agree. They were willing to do 42-44,but 50m is too much for a none qb. Good luck to him, wish the best. Class act, played through injuries. When they sent the people home from the hotel, I didn't know which way it was going. Moving forward with draft and allocation of money and the huge fa pool.

Premier
03-15-2012, 02:36 PM
seams like fans in buffalo are pretty excited.. idk, we loved mario here but something has to be said about the texans having the best defense they've ever had in their short history all while mario williams was sitting on the sidelines... people are even talking about how are we going to replace mario.. mario was replaced last year, watt took his position, and barwin took over his new position.. meanwhile this rookie by the name of brooks reed emerged as a monster of a pass rusher.. barwin/reed>mario

JamesBill
03-15-2012, 02:38 PM
barwin/reed>mario

no way, we now need to draft linebacker. I like brian braman as much as the ext guy, but he seems a little crazy and thus injury prone.

And Brooks never had to beat anyone to get his sacks, wade had him lined up against air.

The Cush
03-15-2012, 02:44 PM
And with Mario's departure from the Texans, all the kleenex boxes and bottles of lotion in the greater Houston area has sold out thanks to dalemurphy

Corrosion
03-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Bye Mario ..... It wasnt about the money. :boogereater: