PDA

View Full Version : Belichick

thunderkyss
02-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Think he's had enough?

I'm calling it now, he's going to hang it up in the next few weeks.

:swammi:

Norg
02-05-2012, 11:21 PM
no way u know how good it is to work up there in boston its first class

Wolf
02-05-2012, 11:24 PM
They have 2 first round picks,2 second round picks, a third and a forth coming up in the draft ...He will try to rebuild A bit

thunderkyss
02-05-2012, 11:42 PM
He'll be 60 in April

TexanSam
02-05-2012, 11:52 PM
He'll be 60 in April

So? Tom Coughlin is 65. Coaches routinely coach into their 60s. Why would Belichick retire right now? The Patriots are consistently one of the best teams in the NFL every year.

Dutchrudder
02-05-2012, 11:56 PM
I dunno about Belichick, but I wouldn't be surprised if Coughlin retired after that big win.

Bulls on Parade
02-05-2012, 11:58 PM
He may as well hang them up. Ray Lewis should too. The Houston Texans will become the team to beat in the AFC for the next four or five years. It's our time to own the conference. it's going to be a fun ride.

nero THE zero
02-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Wouldn't be shocked to see he and Brady call it quits together in 3 or 4 years.

FWIW, Brady's contract plays through 2014 and Belichick's runs through 2013.

TimeKiller
02-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Wouldn't be shocked to see he and Brady call it quits together in 3 or 4 years.

FWIW, Brady's contract plays through 2014 and Belichick's runs through 2013.

This x 2

All he's doing now is riding the gravy train he built 10 years ago. WHy jump off now?

thunderkyss
02-06-2012, 11:42 AM
This x 2

All he's doing now is riding the gravy train he built 10 years ago. WHy jump off now?

Because that's not how Belichick works. At least I don't think so.

He's been to the SuperBowl 5 times, won 3 of them. I'm thinking he's asking himself if he wants to go through it all again.

Not that I think he's the kind of guy to back down from a fight, But he's on top right now & he can call the shots. Why go through a 9-7 year (it's coming), not make the play-offs, then be asked to take a walk?

Right now, he can name his replacement & focus on a pure GM role. He can focus on the personnel side (which is their biggest issue) & let his right hand (Josh McDaniels..... I kid) take over the day-to-day grind of coaching.

Texecutioner
02-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Belicheck is not the genius that many tout him as.

He managed the Ravens game horribly and he managed the game last night horribly, and arguably caused the Patriots to be in the bad position that they were in. Trying to beat down the clock on that last drive (Not the one minute drive) they had was just a horrible strategy from the first place, because if the Patriots didn't score a TD making it a two possession game, it was going to automatically give the Giants the ball at the end of the game and the Giants were going up and down the field on the Pats all night. It was a broken game plan from the start and put everything on that one drive, because the Pats weren't going to stop Eli when all he was going to need was a FG. Hell, they would have been better off letting the Giants score right away so the Pats could have gotten the ball right back with enough time to score. That was extremely stupid on Belicheck's part, and I said that while that drive was going. The Pats had to score on that drive if they were going to try and milk down the clock.

Belicheck has done a horrible job at rebuilding that defense, getting help at wideout, and getting play making RB's to help out their offense.

Brady has carried that team over the last few years. Not Belicheck's alleged genius. I've seen to many poor coaching errors from him over the last few years.

ChampionTexan
02-06-2012, 12:06 PM
I dunno about Belichick, but I wouldn't be surprised if Coughlin retired after that big win.

Well, it sounds like he's coming back for at least one more year...

Tom Coughlin is coming back for the 2012 season.

Coughlin put any lingering doubt to rest about that during his press conference on Monday morning, reiterating the point he’s made several times when the issue has come up over the last two weeks.

LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/06/tom-coughlin-reiterates-that-he-isnt-retiring/)

Also, as it relates to Belichick going out "on top", I'm thinking that not having won a Super Bowl since 2005 (2004 season) and having lost the last two he was in is a far cry from his idea of leaving on top. I'm gonna say there's no way in the world he doesn't coach next year.

Vinny
02-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Think he's had enough?

I'm calling it now, he's going to hang it up in the next few weeks.

:swammi:Bill said many times that he wants to coach for another decade or so but not as long as Marv Levy. He ain't going anywhere anytime soon. He's a brilliant coach and I hope he sticks around for a long while.

thunderkyss
02-06-2012, 12:26 PM

He managed the Ravens game horribly and he managed the game last night horribly, and arguably caused the Patriots to be in the bad position that they were in.

Belicheck has done a horrible job at rebuilding that defense, getting help at wideout, and getting play making RB's to help out their offense.

Brady has carried that team over the last few years. Not Belicheck's alleged genius. I've seen too many poor coaching errors from him over the last few years.

Great post. I didn't want to come out with a, "the game is passing Belichick by" post, but you did a very good job of doing it for me.

Don't get me wrong, we'll see what's what in the off-season. Heck, Tom Coughlin was "fired" at week 14 but will probably be offered an extension.....

So Bill can work some magic this off-season if he chooses to stay...

But I think it might be a good idea to move into the front office & find that next great coach to replace him.

Double Barrel
02-06-2012, 01:01 PM
I do not think Belichick is going anywhere for awhile. Kraft certainly is not going to fire the guy, so it will just be a matter of when Belichick finally gets burned out and hangs up his hood.

He still got his team to the Super Bowl, though. And they were in it until the end. I just think the Giants are more talented, and to be honest, they seemed more aggressive in their hustle. They sort of reminded me in attitude of the Patriots teams that won 3 SBs in four years.

NE is an elite team for at least a couple more years. But, they need to quit relying on "heart" players and get some guys that are just dominant at their positions. Brady has got 2-3 years, at most, to be 'elite'. Get him a freakin' speed WR over 6'1"!!! It seems like they have nobody to stretch the field since Moss was canned.

For a defensive minded coach, it's very weird to see his D ranked last in so many areas. It's on the skill of Brady and pure luck that they made it to the Super Bowl, but they cannot keep picking up project players and putting them at other positions.

Vinny
02-06-2012, 01:13 PM
For a defensive minded coach, it's very weird to see his D ranked last in so many areas. It's on the skill of Brady and pure luck that they made it to the Super Bowl, but they cannot keep picking up project players and putting them at other positions.
I think this point is kinda murkly...

Pats were still 15th in points given up defensively....so while they gave up lots of yards, it was lots of bend but don't break stuff. The Texans only gave up 4 less points per game than the Patriots last year. Pats had some def injuries earlier in the year as well.

Double Barrel
02-06-2012, 01:22 PM

Pats were still 15th in points given up defensively....so while they gave up lots of yards, it was lots of bend but don't break stuff. The Texans only gave up 4 less points per game than the Patriots last year. Pats had some def injuries earlier in the year as well.

Ahh, good point, Vinny. For some reason, I thought they were ranked lower in points given up. This is one of those tangible stats, like turnover ratios, that actually shed light on things. That's not too bad. They just need some better corners, IMO.

Texecutioner
02-06-2012, 01:24 PM

This is true. I looked this up and at the end of the season they were ranked like 15th in PPG given up, but I think that stat is a little exaggerated, because NE plays with the lead so much making it easier for their defense to defend. They've had so many games I've watched this year where their defense screws things up, and I knew for sure that against the Ravens and the Giants that their defense wasn't going to be able to hold the other team.

Plus, BB was a complete idiot to try and run the clock down on their last drive. I couldn't believe a coach of his stature would be so simple minded in how he put all of their team's hopes on that drive knowing that they were going to have to give the ball back to Eli and the Giants with only a two point lead if they didn't score a TD. That was a rookie coach mistake by doing that, because the Pats weren't going up and down the field at will down the field. They should have tried to score fast to assure that they'd have the ball back if Eli and the Giants had scored again and taken the lead. It would have been a one possession game and they would have had probably at least two minutes.

Vinny
02-06-2012, 01:30 PM
We gave up 17.4 points per game and the Pats gave up 21.4. I agree they need some secondary help, plus they need better edge rushers. They either need someone dynamic, or a cast of thousands like we have here....but as you know as a Texan fan - It's tough to come up with elite edge players in the NFL.

Frankly all the top teams have flaws right now. A good as time as any for a team like the Texans to fill that void as the elite team in the league next season...they are already in the top tier. We just need some playoff success now.

Goatcheese
02-06-2012, 02:16 PM
How many rings have Belicheat and the Cheatriots won since they were told to stop cheating and generally being scummy cheating cheaters?

:peek:

TexanSam
02-06-2012, 02:38 PM
How many rings have Belicheat and the Cheatriots won since they were told to stop cheating and generally being scummy cheating cheaters?

Rings? None. But they've been to two Super Bowls, which is still pretty damn impressive in a 5 year span.

Double Barrel
02-06-2012, 05:07 PM

Two AFC Championship rings.

Norg
02-06-2012, 05:58 PM

u mean trophys they dont get rings I dont think

they get that new style Mini football and a banner and a tshirt LOL

infantrycak
02-06-2012, 06:30 PM
u mean trophys they dont get rings I dont think

they get that new style Mini football and a banner and a tshirt LOL

Yeah they do:

http://www.tjscollectiblesinc.com/i//a1996patriots.jpg

Texecutioner
02-06-2012, 08:33 PM

They've won 3 out of 5. That's something you'll probably never get to experience and neither will most die hard fans of other teams. Their goal is SB or bust every season. Most fans would kill to have their success over the last decade.

TheCD
02-07-2012, 11:18 AM

Brady has carried that team over the last few years. Not Belicheck's alleged genius. I've seen to many poor coaching errors from him over the last few years.

I disagree on both points here. I'm not trying to say Belichik is the greatest coach ever, but let's be frank about this: The Pats team this year had a mediocre offense, and a terrible defense that went on to be the #1 seed and almost win the Super Bowl. This team overachieved big time. The Pats are getting to Super Bowls in "rebuilding" years in which other teams would be trying to decide who to pick first in the draft. This team has nowhere to go but up with Brady at the helm.

On top of that, the Pats have shown that without Brady they can manage fine. I don't think they're married at the hip, and I wouldn't be too surprised if Belichik trades Brady in a few years if he feels he has a suitable replacement.

Edit: By the way, did anyone notice Antwan Molden starting at CB for the Pats? I thought a sneeze would put this guy on IR.

Texecutioner
02-07-2012, 11:32 AM
I disagree on both points here. I'm not trying to say Belichik is the greatest coach ever, but let's be frank about this: The Pats team this year had a mediocre offense, and a terrible defense that went on to be the #1 seed and almost win the Super Bowl.

I'm not sure where you get any idea that the Patriots offense were average when they were the 3rd highest scoring team in the league. That's called elite.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=SCORING&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2011&seasonType=REG

This team overachieved big time. The Pats are getting to Super Bowls in "rebuilding" years in which other teams would be trying to decide who to pick first in the draft. This team has nowhere to go but up with Brady at the helm.

They over achieved because they have arguably the best QB of all time who threw for 39 TD's and 12 INT's and also broke Marino's record this season. Brady's best WR is a guy who plays in the slot and is like 5'10. Other than that he's got no running game to help out really and a pair of TE's that he has had to turn into WR's. Yeah, it's over achieving, but it's because of having an elite QB who carries this team, not Bellicheck. I watch almost every Patriots game, and Bellicheck screws a lot of things up including the SB where his game management was awful.

On top of that, the Pats have shown that without Brady they can manage fine. I don't think they're married at the hip, and I wouldn't be too surprised if Belichik trades Brady in a few years if he feels he has a suitable replacement.

I don't think that season means anything. They had Cassell who proved that he was pretty good outside of NE and went on to lead a terrible Chiefs team to an 11-5 record with a rookie HC in Todd Haley. In NE he was throwing to Moss and Welker as well.

Edit: By the way, did anyone notice Antwan Molden starting at CB for the Pats? I thought a sneeze would put this guy on IR.

Yeah, I've noticed him all season. He's part of the problem in that secondary.

Goatcheese
02-07-2012, 01:40 PM

Super Bowl ring was clearly implied. Nobody cares about the runner up.

They've won 3 out of 5. That's something you'll probably never get to experience and neither will most die hard fans of other teams. Their goal is SB or bust every season. Most fans would kill to have their success over the last decade.

All 3 rings came during cheating tainted seasons. They have won zero NFL titles since they were exposed as cheaters.

As far as I'm concerned the Pats are 0-5 on a fair playing field. They should have been burned their Championship banners, not the evidence of their cheating.

Double Barrel
02-07-2012, 01:42 PM

All 3 rings came during cheating tainted seasons. They have won zero NFL titles since they were exposed as cheaters.

As far as I'm concerned the Pats are 0-5 on a fair playing field. They should have been burned their Championship banners, not the evidence of their cheating.

In your mind, you are right.

NFL record books indicate otherwise. :ok:

Goatcheese
02-07-2012, 01:44 PM
In your mind, you are right.

NFL record books indicate otherwise. :ok:

MLB records show that roid hulks hold most all time records now. Doesn't mean it should stand.

Cheaters should be punished, not rewarded.

Texecutioner
02-07-2012, 01:46 PM

Your posts always give me a good laugh.

This garbage isn't even worth debating. I learned that after you went on and on stating that SUh wasn't a dirty player amongst other things. Just good for a chuckle.

Goatcheese
02-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Your posts always give me a good laugh.

This garbage isn't even worth debating. I learned that after you went on and on stating that SUh wasn't a dirty player amongst other things. Just good for a chuckle.

As usual, your posts have no substance but an abundance of ignorance and arrogance.

Texecutioner
02-07-2012, 01:57 PM
As usual, your posts have no substance but an abundance of ignorance and arrogance.

Says the guy who claims that Suh isn't dirty and that the Pats have no rings.

:lol:

Double Barrel
02-07-2012, 03:15 PM
MLB records show that roid hulks hold most all time records now. Doesn't mean it should stand.

Cheaters should be punished, not rewarded.

yep. And that's my point. The leagues could really give a rat's ass about the so-called "integrity" or make believe "honor" in their sports.

It's all relative to the times. Many MLB records in the '50's were set when methamphetamines were legal. Talk about a performance enhancer!

The four rings owned by the Steel Curtain of the '70's were built on 'roids.

We can go on and on with 'scandal' after 'scandal', but none of it matters because these leagues celebrate their records and history while glossing over the dark underbelly.

I'm not denying the Patriots history. I don't have a dog in this hunt, so I don't really care. But, let's not kid ourselves that the Patriots were the only team doing this with video equipment. This quote by Jimmy Johnson about it is telling:

"This is exactly how I was told to do it 18 years ago by a Kansas City Chiefs scout. I tried it, but I didn't think it helped us. Bill Belichick was wrong because he videotaped signals after a memo was sent out to all of the teams saying not to do it. But what irritates me is hearing some reactions from players and coaches. These players don't know what their coaches are doing. And some of the coaches have selective amnesia because I know for a fact there were various teams doing this. That's why the memo was sent to everybody. That doesn't make [Belichick] right, but a lot of teams are doing this."
~ Jimmy Johnson

Goatcheese
02-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Says the guy who claims that Suh isn't dirty and that the Pats have no rings.

:lol:

Your post checklist:

Substance? Nope
Arrogangce? Yes
Ignorance? Yes

Standard issue texecutioner.

yep. And that's my point. The leagues could really give a rat's ass about the so-called "integrity" or make believe "honor" in their sports.

It's all relative to the times. Many MLB records in the '50's were set when methamphetamines were legal. Talk about a performance enhancer!

The four rings owned by the Steel Curtain of the '70's were built on 'roids.

We can go on and on with 'scandal' after 'scandal', but none of it matters because these leagues celebrate their records and history while glossing over the dark underbelly.

I'm not denying the Patriots history. I don't have a dog in this hunt, so I don't really care. But, let's not kid ourselves that the Patriots were the only team doing this with video equipment.

But that's my point. The league didn't do what was right. They followed the past corruption and covered it up. It's wrong and it hurts the sport. It's never too late to stop a trend of corruption. The NFL could have set an example with the Patriots and cheating like they did with Harrison and head hunting. They chose to continue being a joke and spitting in the face of fans who want a game with integrity.

This quote by Jimmy Johnson about it is telling:

"This is exactly how I was told to do it 18 years ago by a Kansas City Chiefs scout. I tried it, but I didn't think it helped us. Bill Belichick was wrong because he videotaped signals after a memo was sent out to all of the teams saying not to do it. But what irritates me is hearing some reactions from players and coaches. These players don't know what their coaches are doing. And some of the coaches have selective amnesia because I know for a fact there were various teams doing this. That's why the memo was sent to everybody. That doesn't make [Belichick] right, but a lot of teams are doing this."
~ Jimmy Johnson

They were specifically told to stop and just thumbed their nose at the rules because they knew they could get away with it. A player cheats and they suspend him for 4+ games. An organization cheats and they get 3 NFL Titles. That's just wrong.

The league's response should have been apoplectic and instead they just swept it under the rug.

thunderkyss
02-07-2012, 04:01 PM
So, like I was saying.

I think he retires from coaching before the 2012 season.

gary
02-07-2012, 04:12 PM
I would stay and sign both a CB and a safety and then draft a dynamic receiver or two. Also draft an RB in the mid rounds.

Vinny
02-07-2012, 05:13 PM
So, like I was saying.

I think he retires from coaching before the 2012 season.
he already said he isn't going to stop coaching. Perhaps you know something he doesn't