PDA

View Full Version : my probowl solution idea

LongTimeLurker
02-05-2012, 12:43 PM
everyone is starting to complain about the probowl and how there is no competition and how its a joke.

here is my solution:

replace it with a game of the two worst teams in the NFL where they play head to head and the winner gets awarded the number 1 draft pick, so this year it would be the colts and rams fighting for andrew luck, although rams might not feel like they need to draft luck, they can trade that pick for more later round picks

for the purposes of awarding players, they should have a televised award ceremony complete with highlights, hosted by someone like jimmy fallon

TexanSam
02-05-2012, 12:48 PM
LOL. You would see all sorts of NFL records broken while teams lay down for the top pick. Some RB would probably rush for 400 yards while the other team decides not to tackle him.

Goodell has a better option though. Just get rid of it (maybe).
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7542806/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-says-ceasing-pro-bowl-consideration

The quality of play in this season's Pro Bowl has drawn criticism from fans, former players and at least one player who played in the game. On Sunday, commissioner Roger Goodell said you can add his name to the list of detractors.

In an appearance on ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" on Sunday, Goodell said the league must address the quality of the game and even said he would consider eliminating the all-star game if it can't be improved upon.

"I really didn't think that was the kind of football that we want to be demonstrating for our fans," Goodell said. "And you heard it from the fans. The fans were actively booing in the stands. They didn't like what they were seeing."

Goodell said something has to change.

"We're either going to have to improve the quality of what we're doing in the Pro Bowl or consider other changes or even considering eliminating the game if that's the kind of quality game we're going to provide," Goodell said.

LongTimeLurker
02-05-2012, 12:58 PM
i think it would be more competitive than you think, it depends on the projected number one draft...i assume rams want to keep their QB so, if the truly wanted to keep their qb, they can win the number one pick and trade it off for multiple picks, so they win in this scenario

the colts FO will do all that they can to keep the first pick also, not sure how theyd convince the QB to win the game when he is ultimately going to be replaced

Showtime100
02-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Honestly, with the money that could be lost by an injury (even in the Pro Bowl it could happen) and the state of the Pro Bowl today, I think they should just have a black tie awards ceremony after the season. That goes for all sports. I would watch with more interest an awards ceremony than today's all star events.

Just my opinion. :)

pirbroke
02-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Just get rid of the game and do some challenges, but what with football? I like the slam dunk and 3 point shoot out with the NBA. I could see a few nice QB throwing challenges, a fastest man would work for me. Not so sure about the linemen, maybe see how heavy a sled they can push 10 feet. How about throw 10 footballs all within a half second of each other to the receivers and see how many they can catch. I'm sure we could come up with some more ideas to make it entertaining.

thunderkyss
02-05-2012, 01:16 PM
everyone is starting to complain about the probowl and how there is no competition and how its a joke.

here is my solution:

replace it with a game of the two worst teams in the NFL where they play head to head and the winner gets awarded the number 1 draft pick, so this year it would be the colts and rams fighting for andrew luck, although rams might not feel like they need to draft luck, they can trade that pick for more later round picks

for the purposes of awarding players, they should have a televised award ceremony complete with highlights, hosted by someone like jimmy fallon

I actually like the idea.... except, instead of the two worst teams, I'd put the 10 worst in a lottery type selection process. Only two teams can "win" We might have the Vikings & the Jags playing for the #1 & 2 picks, everyone else would fall in line behind them.

It would do away with the "suck-for-luck" type seasons as the highest draft pick they would be "guaranteed" would be the 3rd pick.

LongTimeLurker
02-05-2012, 02:01 PM
id actually want to watch this game also haha

gtexan02
02-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Why would people want to watch the worst teams?

And you still have the problem of FAs not wanting to risk injury

fiasco west
02-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Thing is though some guys will be playing for another guy to replace them.

"Go on out there Sam and go get us some Luck!"

Speedy
02-05-2012, 02:28 PM
I've said for a while to get rid of the game and have an awards show like they did last night. I actually watched that. The Pro-Bowl, no. You can still send everybody to Hawaii. Announce your Pro-Bowlers, or All-pros or whatever, along with the season award winners like they did last night.

If you absolutely have to have competition, do a skills competition or something. But the game has got to go. It's an absolute joke.

Wolf
02-05-2012, 02:33 PM
I think it would be best for the NFL to just have an awards show.. It doesn't make sense to have the 6th best Quarterback in the league to get sent to the probowl (mainly because either the others are injured or one is still playing)

Agents and players must love that and get to use it as a bargaining chip in contract negotions, Owners got to hate it.

*I am using QB for example and could have named any position

welsh texan
02-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Also it'd be nice to see an improved voting system. How about all the HC's get to vote for their pro-bowl lineup, but aren't allowed to vote for their own players?

Any selection is going to be based on subjective opinion, but the quality of those opinions seems pretty poor in the current system, and the open ballot system where you can vote as many times as you're sad enough to is just crazy, although I'm sure it ups their traffic for advertising purposes.

Wolf, I know what you're getting at, but having the 6th best QB in the league in the Pro-Bowl is only a best case scenario, I believe they take 3 per conference? In reality, Peyton is injured, Eli and Brady (both top 6) Schaub is out who's probably top 10 and suddenly you've got QB's who aren't even necessarily top 10 making the Pro-Bowl, its crazy!! Totally agree with the point you were making btw.

gwallaia
02-05-2012, 09:43 PM
It's obvious after watching the game that the players really don't care about it and are just going through the motions. Scrap the game and replace it with a Madden Super Bowl.

TimeKiller
02-06-2012, 10:31 AM
I've had the same idea to change it for a couple years now....

The Pro-Bowlers are one team. The other team is whoever wins the Super Bowl. It could even be a 2 quarter scrimmage to lessen the chance of injury. Giants won, so Giants v. All-stars for all the glory and bragging rights. Imagine a regular team having to face a team of HOFers, big shots and playmakers....that's enough to get me to watch. You could also include the skills competition to drag it out. Fastest man in football event, take the fastest guy from each team and let them race it out. QB challenges, to hit tires from different distances, put a gun on them and see who throws the hardest or the farthest. Throw in a couple combine events to see who can still put up workout numbers...I'd watch it and I'm quite sure I wouldn't be the only one. It's a lot better than watching a bunch of guys (the ones who actually go) play at 25% speed, not hitting and not playing D.

macho grande
02-06-2012, 10:37 AM
How bout a rookie vs sophomore game?

Vinny
02-06-2012, 02:05 PM
I don't have any problem with the league getting rid of this farce of a game. These exhibition games come and go. Anyone remember way back when the NFL Champ played the College All Star team at the end of the season? Pittsburgh played in the last one in 1976
What would prove to be the last College All-Star game was held on July 23, 1976. The Pittsburgh Steelers, winners of the Super Bowl following the ’75 season, represented the NFL against an all-star squad that included such future pro stars as Oklahoma’s Selmon brothers (DE Lee Roy and DT Dewey), RB Joe Washington, G Jackie Slater, WR Duriel Harris, QB Richard Todd, and two-time Heisman Trophy winner Archie Griffin (pictured running at bottom). The team was coached by Notre Dame’s Ara Parseghian.

There were 52,895 fans on hand at Soldier Field for the Friday night contest.http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5jRDome29Bs/TEl36b8VJ8I/AAAAAAAABaI/qJAQYDwOJs4/s320/Griffin_Archie_1976CollegeAll-StarGame.jpg
http://fs64sports.blogspot.com/2010/07/1976-steelers-win-last-college-all-star.html

brakos82
02-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Poker tournament. Wouldn't you love to have seen OchoCinco and TO try to keep a poker face? :lol:

Rey
02-06-2012, 04:57 PM
No way do I want to watch the two worst teams in the NFL play...

Why the hell would I tune in to see who gets the first pick out of the Rams and the Colts? Why would I care?

That's like watching two idiots in a spelling bee...

It's only funny for a second then you feel bad for them and get bored with it all.

I'd rather see the best of the best actually play....

I don't have a problem with the pro-bowl as I don't turn in to see real football. But if for some reason you do tune in to see that then I can see why you'd be mad.

If you want to make the game more competitive, up the anty...Every member of the winning team gets an extra 3 million dollars added to their check by the NFL over the course of next year...

infantrycak
02-06-2012, 05:28 PM
I don't have any problem with the league getting rid of this farce of a game. These exhibition games come and go. Anyone remember way back when the NFL Champ played the College All Star team at the end of the season? Pittsburgh played in the last one in 1976
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5jRDome29Bs/TEl36b8VJ8I/AAAAAAAABaI/qJAQYDwOJs4/s320/Griffin_Archie_1976CollegeAll-StarGame.jpg
http://fs64sports.blogspot.com/2010/07/1976-steelers-win-last-college-all-star.html

That was great. Never understood why they got rid of it.

Texaninlild
02-06-2012, 06:37 PM
What happened to the NFL skills challenges? I would rather watch that. You could have NFC vs AFC on a point system for winning events like a track meet would. It would be more entertaining and possibly a better turnout.

JCTexan
02-06-2012, 06:56 PM
No way do I want to watch the two worst teams in the NFL play...

Why the hell would I tune in to see who gets the first pick out of the Rams and the Colts? Why would I care?

That's like watching two idiots in a spelling bee...

It's only funny for a second then you feel bad for them and get bored with it all.

I'd rather see the best of the best actually play....

I don't have a problem with the pro-bowl as I don't turn in to see real football. But if for some reason you do tune in to see that then I can see why you'd be mad.

If you want to make the game more competitive, up the anty...Every member of the winning team gets an extra 3 million dollars added to their check by the NFL over the course of next year...

I see something like that working, but would we really want it to? A million dollars to every member of the winning team could get players to try harder, but do we seriously want Joseph, Foster and the rest of the Pro-Bowl Texans playing hard in an exhibition game?

I just don't see the point of caring about players not playing hard in an exhibition game. Why should All-Star caliber players risk their future in a game that doesn't and shouldn't matter?

GP
02-06-2012, 08:10 PM
End the Pro Bowl. Kill it off.

Replace with skills challenge, but here's my twist on it: Sprinkle in the top-ranked players who will enter the draft. So you'd see Luck and RGIII going up against current QBs, Blackmon going up against current NFL WRs, etc.

This would make me tune in. It would be a draft preview of EPIC proportions.

Ruinondd
02-06-2012, 08:33 PM
I Love that idea GP. Get to see all the best current players up against the next generation in skills challenges every year.

TheCD
02-07-2012, 10:13 AM
hosted by someone like jimmy fallon

Please please please...never suggest Jimmy Fallon for anything that is expected to be amusing, funny, or entertaining.

All the guy does is stare into the camera and giggle becasue he thinks he's so funny. On top of that, everything he does has to be about him and have him as the center of attention. Dude can't let other people have their time in the spotlight.

DBCooper
02-07-2012, 11:55 AM
What happened to the NFL skills challenges? I would rather watch that. You could have NFC vs AFC on a point system for winning events like a track meet would. It would be more entertaining and possibly a better turnout.

Or "Running Man: NFL Edition"

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Blake
02-07-2012, 12:06 PM
You cant force star players to play hard. Either do away with it, or change the name and let players sign up for it. This way they get one more chance to showcase their talents.

GP
02-08-2012, 09:37 PM
The problem with having a "game" is that these NFL stars are NOT exactly all that thrilled with the concept of playing a token game for $50,000 in exchange for the risk that they have their careers ended on that field in Hawaii.

In the skills challenge, you still could tweak something when making a cut or burst on the obstacle course. But you aren't wearing pads, you're able to go at your own pace and push yourself as much or as little as you're comfortable (nobody is chasing you, you have no pressure to make a risky move, etc.).

I love the flag football game of celebrities and ex-players. I love the skills challenge. Show me clips of these guys from the season sprinkled in-between the actual events. Throw in some interviews. Make it a 2-hour show that moves quickly and offers a lot of variety.

The Pro Bowl game itself is outdated due to the financial risk/reward situation due to the evolving nature of the sport.

Norg
02-09-2012, 01:47 PM
I say make it a more fan event have Fans play each other in a game

Then a cheerleader game after that

Then the madden tourment finals lol

Hervoyel
02-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Here's the deal. We don't need a game there. There's not one single good reason for pros to play another game. The NFL doesn't need an All-Star game as evidenced by the fact that they have to wait until the real season is over to play it. This isn't the NBA and it isn't MLB.

I think we're sort of conditioned to want a game after the Super Bowl but we don't really need one, particularly one that nobody cares about winning all that much. Hell, a lot of guys can't even be bothered to go at all once the novelty of being voted to the Pro Bowl wears off.

The NFL "Honors" TV special idea isn't half bad but it's not a a game and what I really want there is a game. I don't want a highlight show, I want a game. How do we solve this problem?

College players. College All-Star games are an important part of the evaluation process. They're competitive and the guys are trying to impress to improve their draft position. This kind of game serves a real purpose.

You have a Pro Bowl weekend at the end of the season like always. It's a big event with a college All-Star game taking the place of the Pro Bowl game, a televised highlight show before the game where the AFC and NFC "Pro Bowl" teams are featured. Your NFL Honors show.

Vote for NFL players and the NFL brings in college seniors to play the game. Divide them into two squads representing the AFC and NFC. Getting to coach this game would actually be a good thing for coaching staffs.

Pro Bowlers mix and mingle with the college guys on the sidelines. NFL players can do all the competitive non-contact stuff (passing, fastest man, junk like that) and the results can be featured pre-game (or post-game).

Pair the NFL stars with college players for the weekend and this could be a lot of fun.

ObsiWan
02-12-2012, 09:32 AM
End the Pro Bowl. Kill it off.

Replace with skills challenge, but here's my twist on it: Sprinkle in the top-ranked players who will enter the draft. So you'd see Luck and RGIII going up against current QBs, Blackmon going up against current NFL WRs, etc.

This would make me tune in. It would be a draft preview of EPIC proportions.

I kinda like this idea but it has a significant hitch.
How would the pro participants be picked?

The NFL fastest WRs or DBs may not have had a pro-bowl quality season. Same with the strongest guys. The QBs that put up the best numbers may not do squat in a skills contest. A league-leading RB like MJD may suck in a cone contest.

You'll have to kill Pro Bowl voting altogether and just go with All-Pro votes - maybe NFC and AFC 1st & 2nd teams.
Let the coaches and other players vote.
No voting for teammates.
And absolutely no fan voting; mass internet voting by fans of big market teams has turned that into a sham.